Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where I survived Vegas, survived Arizona, and just arrived in Los Angeles. Try to keep up, y'all. It's Monday, March third, and on today's show, we're skipping the news to get you right to my interview with Boss Nation GM Dome guasc. We talked about building a club from scratch, getting into coaching at age fourteen, and how to pitch players in the post draft era. Plus should his son be afraid of the Green Monster? I gave him a pop quiz to see how much he knows about his new hometown. That interview's coming up right after this. Joining us now, he's the first general manager for NWSL expansion team Boss Nation Football Club. The former head of management for women's football at Barcelona. He also previously worked at Barca Academy Head of America, where he led the strategy for recruitment and development across the continent. His son's favorite player is Alexia Puteis. It's Dome, Guasc Dome, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me, Sarah.
Speaker 1: You're the first representative for the Boston team we've had on the show. I have to start with the obvious. The last time fans heard from the Boston team reps back in December, sounded like there might be some big changes to the team name in branding. So do you have any updates you can tell us.
Speaker 2: Look, I have some colleagues that are putting its tremendous effort on that end, and I know sometime soon we'll have some news to the public that's hopefully we'll get everybody excited about.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, we're excited. You spent thirteen years at FC Barcelona, most recently as the head of management for women's football. The Spanish women's national team won the last World Cup in twenty twenty three. I imagine the women's game out there is hotter than ever, so what a time for you to leave what drew you to America in to the NWSL.
Speaker 2: Look, honestly, it's been always a leak that it has stanned out to me being someone that like once I got to grasp in the women's game, I knew I wanted to dedicate my life to it right and regard as much as it is growing in Spain and especially being at Barcelona. I felt very fulfilled, but at the same time, I had that desire of at some point stepping away from from Barcelona, and yeah, well I'm born and raised there, a fan for my entire life, and that was sort of my dream job. At the same time, Yeah, I'm an ambitious person. I like to grow, I like to develop, and I wanted to do that right outside of that safe umbrella that I had built with the thirteen years plus being there. And in that regard, obviously it had to be the right step, right. I didn't want to just do it for any other job, and it had to be the right one. And in that regard, I always like in my mind, while I had no timeline for that step, in my mind, the US obviously always stood up high. As you mentioned before, I had lived here before, so I had been here with my family. In fact, my son was born here in the States, so it was like sort of a familiar environment for us on one hand. On the other hand, it's where women's football has always been big. At the same time, there's still a lot of room to grow and progress, right, So it's the right combination of those two things. And I would say especially it's the fact that this is across the board, right, It's across the entire league. It's a league where, hey, across the board provides I would say, the highest level of environment in the world, right, Like, well, yeah, thankfully, and it's a greate that it's growing everywhere. It's great that it's growing in Spain, my home country. There's still a huge gap between certain clubs, right and Barcelona where I was at, too many other clubs in the league, and honestly, I don't think the league is doing enough to improve that. While here we have a league that it's hey, not only across the board, and the standards are definitely higher across the board compared to the rest of the world, but there's still also the ambition of this is not enough, right, we have to grow, And that's how I see things that this is what excites me. Yeah, we perhaps might be in a better place than other clubs and other leagues. There's still a lot to do, and there's the ambition to do that, right, So that's what attracted me the most.
Speaker 1: You said, as soon as you got into the women's game, you knew that's what you wanted to stick with.
Speaker 2: Why I feel it's still pure football, you know, it's still player center. While obviously we want. We wanted to keep it that way. And while we're excited about that it's growing also as a business, it still keeps that pearness, that that essence of the football because a lot of those players, unfortunately when they were growing up and they were fighting many things, they were doing it for the love of the sport and not because they wanted to make a living, because they saw that very hard and it would hardly happen. And like in living especially at Barcelona, right in being surrounded by by those top players that, yeah, as much as their top players, at the same time, they're just people that loves playing football, right, That's how I would describe them, and and it still gives that essence and obviously want to be part of that. That's how I like what makes me fulfilled, right, the part that hey, we're doing something more. It's not just a business. It's something that we're gathering community, We're changing society. We're like just providing a platform for many kids that would have it very hard in life to to just have it a little bit better, right and building have it's building behaviors and like creating role models for little gals that in the past did not have that, right, So all those things that excite me a lot make me feel fulfilled, right and yeah, so that's that's that's the the reason why.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's it been like adapting to life in Boston.
Speaker 2: Look, I still I'm working on that. I've been here for I would say two months ish, right, So still again working working on that, especially obviously now being being that a lot of people tells me like, you've come in the worst moment. The way I see this, it cannot get worse, right, so exctly getting better, getting better.
Speaker 1: So also you just want to stay inside and work, which is great. Just eyes on the prize, stay focused. Okay, this is very unfair to do to you after just two months, But I'm going to give you a Boston speed round and see if you know the answers to these questions, and if not, these will be things for you to work on because everyone's gonna expect you to know them. Okay, what is the Green Monster?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm going to know the answer to that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the Green Monster is the big outfield wall at Fenway Park where the Boston Red Sox play.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I've driven by a few times.
Speaker 1: Try to hit home run over the Green Monster? Okay, who is the hick from French Lit?
Speaker 2: Look, I definitely need to improve my okay, my Boston knowledge, and that is something that I will even put on the team because they told me they had shown me a few of this stuff. But the fact that I don't know, I'm getting ashamed.
Speaker 1: So the hick from French Lick is Larry Bird. Have they told you about him? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh no, Well of course I know Larry Bird Okay, is a myth, a legend, definitely one that I know. What about?
Speaker 1: Do you know what sport the Boston Fleet play?
Speaker 2: Of course I've been to their yeah, this season up in Lowell, so yeah, of course hockey.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got that when we love that, you know, the women's sports one instead of the men's sports. We actually love that on the show.
Speaker 2: That was the first thing I did like. Actually when when I came to Boston was back in December when they played their first game, right, So yeah, it was up in Lowell watching them. Unfortunately they lost that one, but I had a lot of fun and looking forward to go there with with my family.
Speaker 1: The actual love it. Okay, two more, what's the special kind of bowling that they do in Boston.
Speaker 2: Bowling, that one I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's called candle pin bowling. In my opinion, it's fore inferior, not as fun. But don't say that to people in the Boston area. Okay, all right, just pretending between yes. And then finally, what's your dunk in order?
Speaker 2: My dunking order is I would say very European one. It's express a shop. That's my my dunking order. I can't say to that. I've been to the original Dunkin Dunnuts already. I live in Quincy, so that's where I'm moved, so it's in town right there, and that was one of the first things that I did. My son loves Dunnuts, so there we go, in his case, and he loves the show very ones.
Speaker 1: There we go. If you need to find a real coffee shop, feel free. Don't let those Boston folks make you go to Dunkin every day. There's better coffee out there, Okay. Don't judge all of American coffee by Duncan. And I know people are gonna yell at me, but Duncan is not my jam.
Speaker 2: Okay. I know, Samu is one. Just to half ye sunking coffee's right, which I have to agree to hair on that web.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a smart person to make happy.
Speaker 2: That's it. I'll deal with it.
Speaker 1: You'll figure it out, you'll get used to it. Okay, So let's get to how you started with soccer, because I read that you not only were playing as a young kid, but you started coaching at fourteen. How is that not a typo? How did the coaching bug bite you at fourteen years old?
Speaker 2: Honestly, it was I didn't even have that in my mind, you know, like the thirteen year old that was only focused on like hopefully of making a career in football. And honestly, like at that time, I remember in my club they changed my coach. Thinks we're not working out that much with him. And in the interim time, the director of the academy replaced the coach that we had, and I was the kind of the team. I spent a lot of time with him on like trying to figure out, okay, what did not work with the old coach, what should we do to arrange it? And then we just kept this relationship where it was very close, very honest. After every game we would speak about the game and whatnot. And one day he comes to me and says, hey, like, do you want to be a coach? And I was like, I've never thought about it, right honestly, But he said like, yeah, you know, you talk a lot about you. I can tell you like it a lot of the football part, analyzing and what's going on. And you know, we got this group of moms that want to bring their five year olds, but we don't have a coach for them. So I thought that you could be a coach for them because I think you can handle them, right, You're mature enough to do that. And he said to me like, and I'll be by your side helping you out. And that's how I started making I remember thirty years a month doing that coaching them.
Speaker 1: Not that for fourteen. What do you really need to buy? Like a milkshake? And that's it? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. It was great. I'm and I remember like that. That's sort of how the back like started. I started liking it. And I remember when I turned sixteen, the club faith for my first license, which would be sort of now the with a zero license, and at that time I was more serious about it, but still probably wanted to still be you, meaning my pathway was journalism. That's not where my focus had always been, and that's where I went to college at first for But I remember I had to do college for two like I had to do journalism plus another.
Speaker 1: Major subject.
Speaker 2: Yeah, major in the college in the in the school that I went to, and I chose politics, so I would do morning politics and then I would do afternoon evening journalism. The only issue was that I had a team I was coaching, like coincide with the journalism classes, right, so I would miss like I think it was every Tuesdays and Thursdays. I would miss classes journalists to go coach my team because I loved it. But I saw it as a hobby, right. It was something that especially like in Spain, you cannot unless you work for a big club. When you're in the youth soccer. That's a hobby where you make some extra but then you have to find a real job, right, And my dad was all into that, like, hey, you have to have a real job. So I did that, and I remember, like my clique moment was one day I met with a professor who called me to his office and I had never met with him because he only did one class on Tuesdays and I had never gone to those classes. Yeah, so he told me, like he was like, yeah, I thought you had create college. But then I asked your colleagues and they told me that no, like you're only missing Mike classes and some others. Like he's like, yeah, you're not going to pass, and like, yeah, I'm sorry that I have this team that I'm committed to. I love it. I feel very responsible. I feel like, yeah, I have that commitment with the kids. I cannot miss out on that. Like and he's like, yeah, then you're not going to pass. Like it's fine. And if next year it coincides again with my kids coaching, I'm not gonna pass either.
Speaker 1: Right, And so you just knew that soccer was like where your heart was.
Speaker 2: That's it. And you know, he told me you should think about what you want to do in the future. That's what I did. In fact, I quit journalists, my quit politics. I jumped into sports sciences against my dad's will, just because at the time I wanted to be a coach, right, which changed a lot throughout my career, and here I am in another position. But yeah, it's been always in my blood being always a fan, being always playing, and that's great and around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kids at home, don't skip school. Try to find find a way to do both. But also if you do skip school, you might end up the GM of NWSA teams. Just never know. We got to take a quick break more with Domao when we come back. Okay, so let's talk about how it's been with this new expansion Boston team. What does your day to day look like when the team hasn't signed any players yet, You're not gonna hit the field for another year. What are you working on?
Speaker 2: So Obviously, as I mentioned before, I've been here for a couple of months. I would say my first month was a lot of planning, a lot of thinking, Okay, how do I want to spend my year on, what do I have to prioritize at every moment of the year, And while at the same time trying to learn about Boston, about the culture. Obviously I had not done enough good of a job we can tell by your survey before, but I'm glad at least I could answer the one that was related to women's sports. I'm proud of that. But anyway, so it's just trying to immerse myself in the Boston culture, get to know the people that's already working in the club, like we're there, about building the relationship, also with with the founders, getting more on the aligned with with the vision and and and whatnot. So I spend a lot of a lot of time on that because I knew once I started the execution part, and this is where I am nowadays. It's like just back to back stuff right where I don't have much time to think. The good thing is I have a roadmap that I feel pretty comfortable with that I review every single week. Okay, where I'm at, where should we be? And obviously tweak that. So my time now spend a lot on recruitment. Uh, and that means players, but also staff, right because I think we have to build in even bigger roster on the staff side, and a lot of people when they talk to me, they think that I spent my day on players only, and yeah, that is a very important piece. But you've got to get a coach correct.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting part of this too, because I'm not sure how aware you are of some of the issues that NWSLF franchises have had in the past with their decision making around coaching and personnel, and I wonder what you've been told about that and how you are planning to make sure that NWSL Boston doesn't have the same issues.
Speaker 2: Look, obviously that goes first and foremost. Do not give power to one single person, right. That applies to myself, that applies to the head coach, and that applies to everyone in the organization. Right. And obviously building processes and building a structure that is not based on one person or even tool, that is a very big bax. Right. Then obviously picking the right ones, and to me, I'm looking for the right people that hey, if they're very a good professional, that's sort of a plas and obviously it is not right. That is the first filter, right, like, Okay, what's this person about, what are the values of this person? What's the vision of this person within the industry? And then will then evaluate the professional side on top of that, which obviously is important because especially when we talk about staff members, they have to provide the players with different resources and the expertise on different areas. But first and foremost is okay, who's that person, right, and what are the values, what's the vision? What is the driver of that person, right, like what is she or he about? And and that to me is very important. And then obviously gathering not only obviously the basics that now the league is mandating and with the CBA and whatnot, like all the background checks, the education piece and all that part, which obviously is essential and basic. But then at the same time, it's also of getting the references right right on everyone that we're bringing on board, like, Okay, they've been working somewhere, so how is it working with this person? And yeah, you know, to me, whenever and sometimes might be inferred to on people, but whenever there's a hint of something not smelling good, I stay away. Like, no matter how much I like that person, how good of a professional that person is, that that is a very basic and essential matter, right For sure, I want to be surrounded by people that we can trust, that we can be comfortable with, that we can feel that we're family, right, and that's what we want to build here. So that is how I'm approaching it.
Speaker 1: Have you reached out to any other like gms or owners or front office folks from existing teams, either for you know, advice on this front or just tips and best practices for how to run a team in this league the first place.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, yeah, I've done that and thankfully, obviously while working at Barcelona, I was able to develop some relationships with some gms. I've developed some more relationships now being here. We've even met I think in your backyard in Chicago a few weeks back, and yeah, it's it's with especially the ones that I had the previous relationship, because it was easier and it's also easier for them to open up to me. And I've been talking to them right like, hey, when you compare it, and some of them also have experience in Europe, which was good for me, like to get there. Hey, this is one side. This is the other side, the ups and downs, and you know, there are certain things that everybody might talk about. There are certain things that it's different depending on the experience that each one of them has. But that is very valuable to me, and honestly, that's where I spend a lot of time, especially at the beginning when I mentioned getting immersed right in the in the culture, and that is something that I'm spending a lot of time too, right like, whenever I can been talking to a few former players as well that have been in the league, just to know, okay, like what was your experience and to get to know, okay, well we're the best practices, what was the not good practices? Right?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How do we stay away from that? Because I think now, especially with the new CBA, one one very big piece is Okay, what environment are we creating for the players? Right? Because in a league where all more or less will pay similar amounts because we all have the same salary cap, will be all about okay, what's the environment? Like? Right? This is a good thing that coming out of the CBA because now everybody, everybody has to provide the best environment to be the most shiny thing for that player that's out of contract say, Okay, I want to go there, not because they're paying me more, because it's more or less the same thing. I want to go there because that's the best environment I can be in.
Speaker 1: And that's particularly interesting for you because you're going to be the very first GM that has to fill a whole roster with no college draft, no expansion draft. Like for you, it's just vibes, just vibes, you know. So what's the pitch to players? How do you build a team from scratch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's obviously not an easy job. And obviously when I was in the process right of evaluating the move and all that, that was when actually I know the team was discussing that with the league, like, Okay, what acids do we have when we compare them to the last expansions, right with Bay for example, which I spoke a lot to their GM there when when they did that, But that was very different, right they had, as you mentioned, an expansion draft. They had the college draft, and that sort of made things a little easier in the sense that they can just go or they have the leverage to either nego shape for protection with other clubs, or they can just go and say, Okay, you're unfrotacted, You're coming to me. You have no say in this, right. But the way I say it, obviously, on one hand it's a bigger challenge, which I said before I love. But on the other hand, for me, it also opens up Okay, yeah, we have to dedicate more resources in the recruitment site because now it's all sort of the entire world is open to us, and we have to now filter that down to the ones that are interesting to us. That's why we are bringing a director of recruitment and we're building sort of a recruitment team just because obviously with the changes in the CBA now, it's sort of like, hey, if you want to do a good job at recruitment, and me as a GM I mentioned before, I have a very big job in building an entire team, not only on the field but outside of it, and unless, like we have people that are looking into that and spending the time into that, I'm not going to be able to do a good job at picking the right players. Right. So, so to me that that is a very important piece. That's the first piece that actually I'm hiring within the sporting structure because of that, right because I wants have the time to put the time to make those evaluations and then while I build the rest of the structure, that will be the reason why hopefully players want to want to come here, right, Not because Boston is a cool city, which it is, right and it's attractive. It was attractive to me when I like looking at it from the outside, not only for the vision that we have for the project, not only for the stadium that we'll have inside the city and will be a very cool experience to play in, but because hey, we'll provide a platform that hey, it's not only a safe environment, which hopefully at some point that's something that we can take for granted and even talk about. Right, and we're only talking about, Okay, how much better am I going to get as a player?
Speaker 1: For sure?
Speaker 2: How am I going to get treated if if I get injured? What's the care that you provide?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Right, Like, how am I going to How are we going to prevent that I get injured? Right? How are you going to help me stay in the game for a longer time? Right as a player where instead of having to retire it at a futty something I can be at four, that can be at something.
Speaker 1: Right, sounds like you have been talking to say I'm us, I know that that's something that's really important for She came on our show and talked about like, how can there be more intention around keeping players in the game longer because you're more thoughtful about injuries and stuff. So you mentioned that director of Recruitment, and we heard that you have some news to share about that search. So what can you tell us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're very happy to tell you that we're bringing Edward Gallagher from Brighton in the WSL League. With it an extensive search and I have to praise Bloom Sports for that too. They helped us with with this process. They were very helpful, very thoughtful, very detail oriented, and they brought very strong candidates actually, so it was it was not an easy an easy process in the sense that, hey, we had a few candidates, different profiles still right where sometimes you're not comparing apples to apples, but it's one profile that can bring something pretty unique and then another very strong profile that brings something different. But yeah, we ended up going with with Edward which he's been this he's been doing this job for for Brighton in the past. He also worked for London City leon Esses. Uh. He he did some work also at the national team level, so and he's been in the game for many years. I actually had the chance to work with him while I was at Barcelona and he was at Brighton and then obviously that was a very brief work that we did, so got did not get to know him really through that, but the experience was good. The feeling, like you know, as I mentioned before, the personal feeling they through the negotiation, you can truly feel and grasp that, so that was already a positive, but it was mainly through this process he truly showed to be like that person that thinks about it from a three sixty perspective, right, Like the recruitment piece, so it's not only about okay, recruiting a good player for our team, is like, okay, what do we want to build as a team, how do we want to play? What pieces that we're being But then it's not only about the football side of it, but also okay, what type of personalities are we bringing in? Right, how do we find out about that? How do we present the project? And then he was pretty unique. On was also as part of the recruitment role, including the onboarding process and the adaptation process, right, where a lot of times we had to think, hey, kind of player done and that's it. And having been at Barcelona, that was one of the things that a lot of times we struggled the most, Like we brought these amazing players, but then obviously they needed their time to adapt and it was like very different needs. Right, So approaching it from that perspective, studying that adaptation early. Right, So hey, now let's say in July we start negotiating four players that will be free in December, and we get to sign someone early, why don't we start already right like that process of adapting and all that like, and his built to this and the work he's done at Brighton has been impressive and we're very happy to handle with him here.
Speaker 1: This sounds like such a fascinating group of people to work without in Boston. Going to be really cool to see what you bring over from Spanish leagues and Spanish culture, what he brings over from the WSL, and how that all mixes with what we have here in the States. Thanks so much for coming on to chat with us. Thanks so much for giving us a little peek into this team that we're also excited to see get up and running. I'll really appreciate the time, Sah.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for having me. It's been a pleasure and it felt very short. Actually, next time I'll have answers to the your next test.
Speaker 1: On Boston perfect. I'll start writing the questions right. Thank you. Thanks so much to Domain for taking the time. We have to take another quick break. When we come back, we turn up the tunes and roll down the windows. Welcome back slices. We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email Good Game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy. Don't forget to subscribe, Rate and review, y'all. It's real easy. Watch ninety three five KAFM in Los Angeles, rating one hundred percent, jams one hundred percent of the time. Review. First thing I do when I get to LA and get in my rental car is turn the dial to ninety three to five KD playing classic hip hop bangers all day long. It takes two into Miss Jackson, into Thugus Ruggish Bone, into two of America's most wanted. Now I'm not even mad about the traffic on the four oh five. Okay, a little man, but at least I'm bumping kDa. Now it's your turn, Rate and review. Thanks for listening, y'all. See you tomorrow. Good Game, Dome, Good Game, Boston Women's Sports. You duncan yeah, I said it, unless you're a sponsor, in which case duncan holler at us. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports. And Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain stef