Speaker 1: Open your heart to me, Phoebe. Everyone's hearts need to be open and holes hearts and holes and minds, the big three hearts holes, minds open.
Speaker 2: She's sheen a me non not my name? Yo?
Speaker 1: No yo?
Speaker 2: What is your childe rama?
Speaker 3: I am a chook.
Speaker 2: Your life's going down the floor like.
Speaker 4: Round.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Like a Virgin, the show where we give yesterday's pop culture today's takes. I'm famously Rose Damu.
Speaker 3: And I'm not so famously fan Torondo, and I think pretty famously. Oh you think, well, yeah, I consider myself not to be a niche legend and not so much famous.
Speaker 1: But yes, not anywhere near as famous as Jocelyn one name only of the idol, which I guess we're now both caught up on because the last time we talked about it, you.
Speaker 3: Hadn't watched it yet, right, And then wow, now we both watched all three episodes.
Speaker 1: Yes, and my stance has not changed. I think I said this with the first two episodes played out exactly the same for me, where there was the first half where I was very interested in what was going on with Jocelyn and her team and the whole thing surrounding this embattled pop star trying to make a comeback, and the inner machinations of the industry thought that was very interesting. And then the second half of the episode, when the Weekend came into it, I like completely checked out my brain, just like emptied because it was bad and because the Weekend's acting is really bad. And then this third episode everything changed because it was almost entirely about the Weekend and the cult of it all. So now the show is just bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the third episode was not good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, So I finally watched the pilot in the second episode, and I felt like, honestly, I was I was extremely surprised by how much I liked. I think that Lily Rose Depp is kind of great, Like she's a really good actress, amazing, And you know, it's funny because she is the kind of actress that I just like despise, Like she's like Emma Robert's adjacent, like completely nondescript, like toothpick model girl. And when actresses like that are just like good actresses, I still can't really see them because I'm like, what are your defining characteristics? But for the idol, those like the kind of nondescript, generic hotness she has lends itself perfectly to her kind of like characterized celebrity, Like she looks exactly like someone who would be famous, you know, yes, and because she is.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, and.
Speaker 1: She's like she's like genetically engineered to look like a hot famous person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, I think, especially in the first kind of I think the first twenty minutes of the pilot are We're so funny and gripping, and I loved how the humor and the witticism's like we're really jumping out even when like the common I think the commentary about like pop culture and celebrity and cancel culture can be like a lit all hay, I'm fisted sometimes, but like when the joke is funny, it's funny. I think my primary concern was that, just like you, like, I loved the world of this idol, the world of this like pop star and all the people in orchestration with her who are kind of like controlling her, manipulating her, but there are too many characters Like I love the stunt casting, and I individually love Dan Levy, harnef choice Avon like all all these other Jane Adams.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I was missing her so much in this third episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, Like Divine Joy. Randolph is also so funny. I remember she was like my favorite part of High Fidelity. Yeah, but like there are so many of them that I was like by the third episode, just you said, I was like, where did they go?
Speaker 2: I miss them?
Speaker 3: The show is not like living or breathing without them, but I really did. I was so surprised by what I liked. And wait, let's talk about the sex scenes in episode one, not episode three.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that.
Speaker 3: But like episode one when she is masturbating, and also when they pulled the sheet over her head a robe, the silk robe, I didn't mind it, Like I was like, I was like shock value for the sake of shock value, work on a kind of euphoria skins level, Like it was delivering what I was expecting. It didn't offend me, and it informed me about both of the characters. I learned more about them and about their inner worlds through the sex. So that's why episode three was like you disagree with that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree with it. On on Lily rose.
Speaker 3: Depths side, Yeah, when she was don't agree with it about the weekend, I mean just I'm talking about just the first episode, which she was like choking herself and masturbating. I was like, Okay, I think I understand what you get out of sex, what you want like on your own, and therefore it kind of justified what was an uncomfortable power dynamic between her and the Weekend. I think that when the Weekend came in and they finally fucked, I kind of understood that he needed that power dynamic in whatever their relationship would be. And yeah, I think I just knew him to be manipulative kind of and taking advantage of her kink for the sake of also like kind of send truly controlling her. Like it seems to be some kind of sex cult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think I think what has unraveled for me specifically in the third episode is that, yes, it's a cult, but it's also very much this thing that we've seen with public figures of the new manager person coming into their lives, like thinking about like Brittany with like what was the name Sam Lutfi. You know, this man who they're like romantically attached with and then takes over their careers and it is running the shots and is like usually very much like why is she fucking.
Speaker 3: This kind of ugly guy. That, to me is what's happening with the weekend, even more so than a cult thing. And yeah, I mean in the third episode, like just everything in the show is working except for his performance, and the show is unfortunately hinging more and more.
Speaker 2: On his performance.
Speaker 1: And nowhere was that clearer than the scene where they're having dinner and Ted DROs pushes Jocelyn to open up about her trauma and Lily Rose Deep is actually giving a fantastic you want vulnerable performance and Abel is giving nothing. It's just it's not that he's giving nothing, it's that he's giving all one thing. And yet he and the show want us to buy into him as this complicated figure who has all of these different agendas. But if that's true, as an actor, his job is to clue us into some of that, and he is not doing it. And yet and all of the sort of supplemental material that exists around the show, namely his interviews, he talks about it, about all the different things that this guy is thinking and feeling and doing and manipulating, and yet none of that is on the screen. Now I believe that it's I believe that it's in the script, and I believe that it's slightly in the direction, but it's not coming through in his acting, and that is a problem. He's just playing it all one note.
Speaker 2: Because he's a bad actor.
Speaker 1: And also it's so fucking it takes me out of it so much when he's in the show and then I hear ye his voice come in on the soundtrack, like, yes, you are, you know, a huge musician, and obviously you want to be involved in the music and the show. That doesn't mean you need to sing on it, because all it does is remind me that you are the Weekend and you are not the character that you're playing. Yeah, I one hundred percent agree.
Speaker 3: I I really just such a sanity for him to want to be across every part of this show when in fact he could have stuck more behind the scenes. And I believe that he has very important insight into the music industry that has gone into the creation and the writing of this show. That doesn't mean that he needed to be one of the stars of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I so I was an og weekend Stan, like I was a house of balloons, like the Morning, like Weekend Stan and everybody who was there at the ground level knows that he like sold out big time, Like he sold out. Like I know, the term sold out is like so like convoluted and stupid, but like he is like the definition of selling out because he made Tumblr music and now he's basically one of the biggest musicians of the world.
Speaker 1: And I think he has the most stream song ever on Spotify.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that that in and of itself actually makes him perfect for the show. I think it would have made sense to cast him if he could act, and I think it is perfect honestly for the music supervision, But in reality, they should have cast someone else who someone who could act, and someone who honestly was just hot, like hotter, like someone who had this dark sexuality.
Speaker 2: Like he is not sexy to me.
Speaker 3: He's not hot, he's not giving me facial expressions.
Speaker 1: I actually didn't need the character to be hot. I actually think it would have been more interesting. I mean, they're not going to cast ugly people on TV.
Speaker 3: But if he had more of especially more of a sort of sexy ugly quality, because that's that's the role. He's like stee, you know, I just there's so much interesting stuff going on. Like one of the scenes I really liked was the scene where they're in the recording studio and they're talking about Moses. Somny is talking about how they don't say no to anything, and Joscelyn is like, is like pushing back at him, and he's saying, no, I would say yes to this, I would say yes to this, I would say yes to this.
Speaker 1: We don't say no to anything. This is Tedris's philosophy. And then she says, well, what if I wanted you to fuck me? And he goes, oh, well he would kill me, and so that, like that is so interesting. That's very good writing. That's telling us so much about what's going on here. And then as soon as the person that they're talking about comes on screen, it's like all of that tension and suspense and intrigue I was feeling just fucking evaporates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't watch all of Euphoria, but you watched enough at least to know that, like Sam Levinson writes, I think well writes really cartoonishly evil characters, right, like Nay and his Dad and Euphoria are cartoonishly evil, but the show earns that kind of like dark complexity to it an extent, like it is like a very extreme version of a villain, and like, I think in a way that we haven't seen on TV before. But I don't really feel like and it seems like Tedris is like meant to be.
Speaker 2: This kind of amorphous unknown figure.
Speaker 3: Like he's supposed to be mysterious, but like we don't have any sort of justification of his actions or any like weaknesses. We don't see a crack in what he's doing. And I'm having a hard time with Moses's character too, Isaac, Like some of these characters sometimes feel like set pieces, like they're not really They're just like cogs in the machine of the other characters, where like Rachel Senne, you know, is like.
Speaker 2: Moving plot points along.
Speaker 3: You know, Troy Savon now stepping in, I think and moving plot points along. And Troy is a good actor. I like his performance in the show. Also, girl girl who Moses is really good. The girl who is playing the piano, she's good and she was singing at the end of episode two.
Speaker 2: What is her function?
Speaker 4: The family thing?
Speaker 2: All the it's what are all the cult members?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: I guess they're just like set dressing.
Speaker 1: No They're they're drawing her, they're drawing her into their web. They're making her feel like she's one of them.
Speaker 3: One more thing that I want to say, because I was talking about the sex scenes in the first episode, and I was trying to get to this point of how this third episode was so filled with gratuitous sex scenes that were like pornographic and like, I love a hot sex scene. I love a sex scene that goes there, but like there was no point of view.
Speaker 2: The sex wasn't like specific or kinky.
Speaker 3: It didn't tell us anything about any of the characters more than what we had already known. It was like it didn't have like a cinematic point of view. Like it felt hard to watch, especially knowing and on it. I don't want to like recap the controversy, but like understanding that you know, they don't have intimacy coordinators and there's all this like controversy around how the sex scenes were handled. Like I feel like I would have felt weird about it even if I didn't know all that right, Like I feel like if and also, just as we've been talking, it's like, because he's not interesting, there's not much we can glean from this episode where basically nothing happened, Like they talked a little bit about the album cover, and I think the dinner conversation gave us a little plotin movement.
Speaker 2: The rest of episode nothing happened. Nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually think the sex is all incredibly tame, and I'm starting to believe that all of the press leading up to the show was a huge conspiracy theory, like inside job to make people interested, because the way that critics talked about the show as if it was the most offensive thing that's ever been committed to film, when in fact it's like very basic sex is it's giving payola. Yeah, well, okay, from a fake pop star to a very pop star. I saw Kylie Minoak this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes you did? Oh my god? Wait what where did you see her?
Speaker 1: She did this show at Jones Beach. It was a part of It was like a promotional radio show for Kati. It's called Katie Euphoria. And I went because my brother had tickets and asked super last minute if I wanted to come, So my friend Ryan and I went with him and his friend Matt. We drove out to Jones Beach, which I'd never been to before. It was a little run down and there was a there was a VIP boat that we spent some time. All you got on a boat, I got it.
Speaker 2: Well, it was doc.
Speaker 1: But the boat there was a bar and food on it, which was nice. But the boat was like, So, have over been to Jones Beach?
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: So Jones Beach is it's an outdoor concert venue that's right on the water, and the water comes up like right to the floor of the stadium. And when we got there, the tide was already like pretty high. It was like right at the level of the floor. And then at one point during the show the water like like overflowed and we we tried to go back on the boat to get drinks, but the but the part of the stadium where you could access the boat had been flooded by and we sat separately from my brother and his friend, and he said that at one point during the show, their section flooded and so they like couldn't they had to like stand on their seats or something.
Speaker 2: My god, they're going down with the ship.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. And you were the unsinkable Molly Brown.
Speaker 1: The unclockable Molly Brown. So the show was programmed with a bunch of sort of like Kylie adjacent acts, some you know, uh, club divas, like Deborah Cox, who was incredible. I was so gagged by her. She was amazing. She looked incredible, sounded incredible, had this like such like this very enigmatic stage presence, and she just like fucking tore this girl. This this woman Kristen w who apparently she was like she was well, she was like very well known in the nineties club scene and like even my brother said she used to perform at clubs all the time. She like she at one point had a song and I think the Queers Folks soundtrack and there's a music video of her with the Queers focast that she had playing during her show. She was really great. She played a saxophone. At one point she did she did say something kind of transferred by on the microphone. No. Yeah, So that wasn't great.
Speaker 4: But then after you.
Speaker 3: Know, hours of being there, Kylie came on and Kylie was so great.
Speaker 1: It was such a fun show. She was the only one who did a proper set, Like all of the other sets were like a couple songs, and she did like seven or eight songs. She did like a forty minute set. She you know, obviously did all the hits Can't get You out of My Head, get out of My Way. She ended with Padam Padam, which was super fun. She sounded great, She was very cute. I was like slightly underwhelmed by her as a performer, just because I wanted a little more energy from her. And also for a lot of the songs she wasn't singing the chorus. Oh, and she would be like she would just let the audience sing the chorus and like, Babe, I'm not booked. I did not come here to sing. I came here to see you sing, So please sing the choruses because those are the parts that of the songs that we want to hear you sing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess she is. I mean she's only fifty five, like she can still be in her prime. I guess I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, especially don't spot put on Padam is such a banger, Like what the fuck is that song? I mean she did during pud Padam, but you know, like the she opened with Can't get You out of My Head and did not sing a single chorus throughout the entire song. She would like speak sing it a little but she was really just tossing it to the audience and she did close with all the lovers. She came back and did an encore of it, which was the song that Ryan had really been hoping to hear, and he was like very moved by it. Okay, she Ryan and my brother Jeff like Kylie is their their diva.
Speaker 1: She's not my diva like that. So I was happy to be along for the ride. But I don't care about her like that. But I will say it was such a fun show. I haven't danced that much at a concert in a long time. I had a great night with everyone that I went there with, and it was the only concert I've ever been to where there was zero line for the women's bathroom and an incredibly long line for the men's.
Speaker 2: Love that love to hear that, I mean, women be women. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also am not really a Kylie stan I think we definitely we've already said it, we need to do a Kylie Epp so that we can learn more about her. Because I was reading about how padam Param has put her in like that UK record for you know, solo women artists having number one hits in every decade for the last four years or something, and she's like one of four people to ever do or four women to ever do it, And that makes complete sense to me. Did you ever read Zadie Smith's book that kind of spoofs her as a celebrity. It's called I've never read a book in my life? Wow, I thought maybe this would be the Okay, it's called Swing Time. It's like one of the few literary novels that I've read in like the last five year, five uh, five seven years or whatever, because it's very literary and not really my tea. But there's a there's a kind of pop star in the book that is maybe loosely based on Kylie Interesting.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what pissed me off? There was no merch at the show at all. You know my toxic trait is I never really buy merch at the show. I buy the bootleg after I bought the Joni Mitchell Brandy Carlisle bootleg, like.
Speaker 3: I want the official merch and that's just leaving money on the table, Kylie, come on, it is I would have bought a put On butt plug, you know, or it was or it was really it was really cold that night. I would have bought a hoodie just to be warm, you know, like she really she really missed out.
Speaker 2: Bummer. Well, I have to ask you, just because you brought it up.
Speaker 3: Before record, you've notified me that you started watching the other two.
Speaker 2: What I'm kind of gaffed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I was basically forced into it by constantly seeing people talk about it on Twitter and seeing clips of it. And I haven't had something to binge in a while, and this weekend I just decided to do it because after going to Kylie on Saturday, I was like exhausted on Sunday and so I just wanted to like binge something all day.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Watched the other two and I do like it. How much of it have you watched so far?
Speaker 1: I've watched through the beginning of season three, so they're very short episodes and like short season.
Speaker 3: So in the first season I think is really good. I think the first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I said I would stop watching if an episode passed in which I did not laugh out loud once, and that hasn't happened yet and I still will stick true to that rule. I mean, the beginning of season three is not very good, and I do think it's like literally engineered for gay Twitter in a way that's pretty annoying. But I'm enjoying it more than I'm rolling my eyes at it, so I'm just gonna keep watching.
Speaker 3: I think it feels less like Twitter and more like really well produced SNL by and for gay people, Like if it was an all gay writers which makes sense because he was an SNL writer and he's gay, but if it was like an all gay writers room, all gay production team for like SNL. Sometimes, like the show feels like a series of sketches about gay culture, and I'm not mad about that. Like I like the satire and I especially in the second season, like the Instagaze episode or the episode where he joins that like church call, like those are really funny, like insider baseball like jokes that like you never would find everywhere anywhere, And I think that's kind of the strength of the show. But like now that the third season is trying to make like a narrative like happen more and more, it's just like not really, Yeah, I feel the same thing.
Speaker 1: Love Molly Shannon though, oh she's perfect always Well. We have a very exciting guest today, Bobby Finger from who Weekly is here to talk about the Golden.
Speaker 2: Girls podcasting royalty honestly.
Speaker 1: So, I'm gonna cut myself a slice of cheesecake and which is a bad idea because dark goes right through me these days, and we'll.
Speaker 6: Be back with Bobby God, I want chick now.
Speaker 3: I looked up a list of the best Golden Girls episodes to do like a little sampling, and I wonder if you might have an idea of what some of them want it.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, I can guess. I can guess for sure, Like, okay, did you watch did you watch Sick and Tired? Yeah, the one where Dorothy has chronic fatigue syndrome? No, oh my god, it's a two parter. Or it's amazing, it's really meap, Yeah, it's a two parter. Are about you know, like the creator, Susan Harris, had chronic fatigue syndrome and she wanted to write it into the show. So Dorothy gets chronic fatigue servent. It's about like doctors not believing women, and she's going from place to place until someone finally says, like your feelings are valid, and like your feelings of sickness are real, and like here's what we can do to treat you, but it takes forever farning and someone who believes it's really good, I would say, well, I don't agree with that, because doctors shouldn't believe whomen our feelings aren't valid and chroduc contigue syndrome isn't real. It isn't real. Yeah, it's like more Gallon's It's just not real.
Speaker 3: It's like one of many instances in the show with like gaslighting doctors too, Like that's like I feel like it's something that like you never get to talk about, like when like doctors really are just so manipulative and do not, like you know, take people's opinions, like especially when like ageism is is involved.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I loved I loved watching that throughout the show.
Speaker 5: Did you also watch I would guess the episode where Dorothy's friend who's a tennis player fakes her death. I wait till death, Till death do us volley, I believe is what the name of the episode is called.
Speaker 1: Not it doesn't quite roll off the tongue.
Speaker 5: The episode where Rose is worried that she was given a blood transfusion with HIV positive blood.
Speaker 3: You know, but I am aware of that episode every one talks about episode that's a good one, and then what about the the one where one of my favorite episodes is the one with George Clooney an early appearance of George Clooney.
Speaker 1: In a show.
Speaker 5: And it's like two private detectives who have to live in their house to spy on the jewel thieves who moved in next door. And it's like some older hunk and then his young deputy and it's George Clooney and Dorothy.
Speaker 4: Are they gat them?
Speaker 5: No, No, it's not even glimmer of it. This is a vibe with George Clooney, but not with the older guy at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's with the crime aspect of Golden Girls? Because I did watch the murder mystery episode where they go to the hotel.
Speaker 5: That's the best episode of the show.
Speaker 4: I was, I was hooting and hollering.
Speaker 3: I just, you know, as someone who didn't watch Golden Girls a lot. I and also like I think most shows today like are not laugh out loud funny. It just was such a great experience to watch a TV show where I was like actively laughing the whole time.
Speaker 5: It's the show gets I think like a lot of sitcoms, it gets more absurd as it goes by, and I think there's a camp of people who don't like it when it gets a little more absurd in the final seasons, when they kind of run out of things to do. So it's like, well, let's give them a murder mystery episode or something, or like let's have the girls put on a show for children where they dress up like chickens, you know, Like it gets weird, but I find it funnier, Like the show only gets funnier as it goes on, and it's always funny, Like every episode of the show is funny.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny the idea that they would run out of things to do, because like the premise is not baked in with a lot of things to do anyway, So I feel like that was kind of the whole run. I was continually shocked by how much I found myself laughing, Like just throughout watching the show, I was so immediately attracted to like how dark the humor is, Like it's really crass for the eighties. I loved, loved, love just the tone and how everyone talked and made fun of each other. I got a cosmetic peel yesterday and I was sitting at home with my cosmetic peel on my face, just like, but I'm not allowed to move my mouth because I'm the peel falls awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm just sitting there giggling.
Speaker 3: Like Bobby for the Virgins. Can you give us like a quick like TLDR of what the Golden Girls is and who the Golden Girls are?
Speaker 5: Yes? So, if you've never watched The Golden Girls, it's a sitcom that ran for seven seasons about four women in Miami, and the setup is there's the woman who owns the house. Her name is Blanche Debeaux. She's a Southern bell and kind of over the span of the show learns to understand that her sort of loving the old South and the Antebellum South is a problem. Like there's a whole episode that deals with that, which is really funny. And she when her husband dies, she decides to rent out the rooms to people, and those people include Dorothy Zbornak, who's a Brooklyn transplant who's like a substitute teacher. Also, I mean that would be like the reboot of the show. There's so they're like infinite ways to reboot the show. Be amazing. She comes to Miami after her husband dumps her, who's a recurring character in the show, after like thirty eight years of marriage. She brings her mom, Sophia Petrillo, who the show introduces as like extremely crass and rude and mean because she just had a stroke, so it like messed with her brain. It like it disabled the part of her brain that works on self control. So that's like very explicit in the first few episodes of the show. And then they just are like, no, let's just make her a bitch, like it's fine, Like she's just an asshole, like they take the stroke away. But then the other person is Rose Nyland, who is just a lovable idiot with a heart of gold, who you know, never finished high school, does not know much about anything and is just like sort of charmingly ignorant. And she lives with them too, and she is also a widow. But I don't know, it's just their comings and goings in this house that they live in because they can't afford to live anywhere else at least the three roommates to Blanche is like has a little more money and is just like you find out later in the series, the only reason she has them live with her is because she no longer has to pay the mortgage anymore. It's not like she's desperate for cash. She just like doesn't want to have to pay the mortgage. So that's what the show's about. And they live in Miami and they have fun and they fuck and they deal with I don't know, controversial subjects, especially for the time, Like, like I said, HIV is a topic she's constantly dealing with, Like Blanches her conflicted feelings about her gay brother who she cannot accept. I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's the show solches. So Blanche is a landlord, Yeah, landlord exactly.
Speaker 5: Hate we have.
Speaker 3: How much rent do you think the girls are paying Blanche?
Speaker 5: I bet for the time. I bet they're paying her like five hundred dollars a.
Speaker 2: Month of them maybe less, honestly.
Speaker 5: Maybe less. Yeah, probably no more than that. But like the they're weird financial dynamics of the show. I think, like there are in every sitcom where it's sort of like I don't really understand like money here, but they do kind of like how does money exist in this world? But they do kind of go out of their way to show that, Like these women are in a sense living paycheck to paycheck, because that's another that's sometimes they're like very special episode or they're like topical episode. It's about how they have to work. They're they're quote unquote retirement age at least for women of that generation. Like you would expect that women of that generation at that age, especially like white women from like relatively middle class, you know, livelihoods preceding this moment, would be more comfortable, and they're not. And that's kind of this recurring thing where it's like I can't believe that we have to work and that if I lose my job, I may have to be I'm like, you know, I might have to be homeless, you know, like I'm like housing insecure as a sixty five year old woman. So but also they play that for laughs too sometimes when it's like Blanche as the evil landlord who like raises their rent without letting them know in advance.
Speaker 3: You know, I loved when it was used for laughs. To be honest, I think I was continually like I was continually surprised by like how there was all this kind of like latent like you know, working class kind of like commentary or just like just that that just as you said, like the conceit and like the natural order of their lives, just invoke conversations about just justice, justice for like women of a certain age.
Speaker 2: Not to not to start with the most basic question, but Bobby, which one? Which one are you? Which Golden Girl are you?
Speaker 5: Which one am I? I'm probably I'm more of a I'd love to see myself as a Dorothy and I'd love to see myself but like the confidence of Dorothy and Sophia and even Blanche. But I think I'm more of like a Dorothy Rose hybrid, veering Rosey Rose hybrid. But I think but that's also like I think that's the fun of that's it's the fun of you know, sex and the city too. It's like the fun of all these sitcoms. It's like which one are you? And it's like which one do you aspire to be? And then which one is? It always like sort of like a route awakening to realize that you are. But I think in the Golden Girls case, they're all pretty great, like when you realize, like, oh, I wish I were as much fun as Blanche. I wish I was having I was having as much sex as Blanche, Like I wish I could speak my mind the way that Sophia does. Like, they all have their positive attributes that are like pretty admirable and aspirational. So I'm not that upset about being a Dorothy Rose hybrid leaning Rose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really about what what do your friends think you are?
Speaker 2: That's what it's about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, what who do you think Fran and I are?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I'm not. I'm not. I'm not gonna I'm not even gonna say. Okay, I know that is the disaster. That's okay.
Speaker 3: A better question to speak to speak in the vernacular of your show, can you rank the Golden Girls from who to them? And I don't know if you've done this before on New Weekly. I'm sure someone's out who we haven't.
Speaker 5: I would say, from who to them, it probably goes Sophia Blanche Dorothy Rose. I think that, like, and maybe that would have been different in nineteen eighty nine or nineteen ninety one or whatever. But I think society is just and has been so obsessed with Betty White. Yeah, like, I think I think her death and the response to her death was proof of that. And it's just like people, if you don't know Golden Girls. You know Betty White's character on Golden Girls, which is sort of an idiot, like a lovable idiot. And I think she's top of the list, even though she's really not. She's not my favorite character. Blanche is my favorite, Dorothy's a close second, and I think Roses third. Rose is like a solid third place.
Speaker 3: I don't know watching it, though, I think Rose has the best jokes she heard. Her lines were definitely the ones where I laughed the most. It was either her or Blanche that really had me giggling. Yeah, same kind of. I kind of could. I kind of could leave Dorothy. I mean, no tea, but I mean she's like the whole like dead pan thing is.
Speaker 5: It's a little it's a vibe. If you don't connect with it, it's like it can be grading.
Speaker 3: I kind of understood her immediately, Like I think I felt like I was like, oh, I'm I felt like I can be a Dorothy sometimes because a lot of times I'm the one that's like, let me come in with a plan, let me break it down for everyone else, Like I'm the queen mother. Like what I say goes, But I'm definitely obviously not. I think Rose will tell you that I'm I'm Rose. You I think you are, and we should all say now in this very moment, that Rose is Sophia obviously, and there's no other person you could be.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think do you disagree? Expression?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I was.
Speaker 3: I was about to say that I'm definitely the Sophia of this podcast of the world. Literally, like every everything if you in the show, like every single joke sop he has, it's just like she walks and she's like, you're all idiots?
Speaker 2: Why aren't ident? Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Either she's calling everyone dumb, or she's calling Blanche hole, or she's there was so much slugsharee.
Speaker 4: Or she's talking about.
Speaker 3: How she wants to die yeah, the floodshaing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the sledgshaming of the show is like one of the biggest hurdles to get over watching it now because I didn't watch it growing up. I didn't watch it until I was like seventeen eighteen, and I had put off. I'd put it off for a long time because I knew people liked it and I knew it was on reruns. But I think that's like like when I'm like trying to figure out my own sexuality and like feeling very uncomfortable about like my own identity. I was trying to push away things that I think were coded queer coded. It's been gave like for young white men, like a young white man loves golden girl, a young gay white man loves golden girls, like like join the club. But there's like millions of clubs for this. So I was like, I don't know, I'm like resisting this show, and so once I fell into it, I was just like very surprised. I was kind of having the same reaction both of you did watching them. I was like, Oh, this is just really really good. It's really funny and it's making me laugh. But the slutshamy stuff is always the first thing you notice because it's like, well it's such a weird yeah, because it like it's sex positive posits is exactly it posits itself as being very sex positive and showing these older women having like very fulfilling sex lives.
Speaker 3: Even Sophia. I watched the episode where she and Blanche are dating the same guy. Oh yes, but even then they're like so sex positive, and yet like every line about Blanche is that she's poor Yeah, it's like it's like they're easy word to use, like slut over and over, and it's part of the sex positivity to me, Like I didn't even see it slutshaming when I was watching it because I was like, well, this is the world, and so the sex positivity begets the slut shaming right, Like it was the foil to like help us understand how sexually active these women were. And I think that that was just like so radical, Like how often, if ever, do we get to see like the sex lives of like women in their you know, sixties, seventies.
Speaker 7: Eighties, sex lives of college drugs, you know, on that.
Speaker 3: Note, just in terms of like, you know, how these women are like avatars for gay men, for gay white men specifically. Like that's just something that is part of why Golden Girls has continues to have so much relevance today, Like it belongs to this generation of shows like like Designing Women or like Dynasty or you know other other kind of like these like marquee sitcoms and TV shows that had all these uh fabulous or extravagant or sassy you know, older white women that you could canvass yourself on and see yourself in because there were no gay characters.
Speaker 5: You know, you're right, and they had I don't know if you watched the pilot, they had a gay character in the pilot episode of the show. It's so strange, like he was there living chef. Oh my god, they had a live in chef chef they had well they well, that's like they have to change it after the first one, right, Like the whole thing is like it doesn't make any sense with their financial situation. God, what was his name.
Speaker 1: It's someone said, get the fag off the TV. I'm not watching that.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 5: He was their out gay chef named Coco, and he like basically does they basically I guess like meshed his humor with Sophia, Like he's sort of like always having the quips. He's always the one who's just like observing them and like calling them ridiculous. But yeah, he's only in one episode and then they cut him out. But the show is like still incorporates gay people pretty frequently. One of my favorite episodes is also about Dorothy's college friend coming to stay with her.
Speaker 4: I watched that last night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's a lesbian and like you think that it's her dead husband, but really it's her dead partner who was a woman, and she falls in love with Rose. And the greatest joke of that episode, which is like, there are some there are just some lines where I'm just like, I can't believe this was on television in like nineteen eighty eight. But like when Blanche finds out that the friend is a lesbian, she's outraged, but it's not because she's homophobic. She's outraged that the lesbian is attracted to Rose and not her. So it's so funny. She's like, I was believe it.
Speaker 3: I was losing my mind at that. It was so funny. I like rewound it to watch three times. I maybe actually, after watching so many Golden Girls episodes last night, I might be a little Golden Girls pilled.
Speaker 5: I think this might be a new a new journey for Okay, so glad I could do that.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to feel that way.
Speaker 3: Well, And let me tell you, similar to you, Bobby, like I had put off watching it because I was just like, I think, when I watch it, it will take over my life and personality and maybe like I'm not in like a space for that, you know. I feel like I continually like once a year, once every other year, like I get the flu and then I'm like, oh, let me watch this show that I've like put off forever. And then all of a sudden, like I've watched twenty six seasons of like Real Housewives or whatever and like and I'm like, oh, I didn't actually want that to happen. So you know, maybe I'm waiting for the flu again to like actually go through the process of watching every single episode. But I know that there will be a period in my life where I do watch every single episode because it is that good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'm going to be on that journey.
Speaker 3: And I'm honestly shocked that I like, even though I have watched a little bit of Golden Girls before, I think, especially because of the Florida of it all, it is shocking that I have never watched it because I famously am from Florida.
Speaker 4: I'm from Boca Ratone.
Speaker 3: So like this is my work used to like we used to where I grew up. We call it God's Waiting Room because it's like where old people go to die and every like even just the like the production design, it's like that's what everyone's houses look like down there. They're all sort of like pastel and like wicker furniture and you know, like palm trees through the windows. It was like a little triggering, but in kind of a good way. And I love that they live in Miami. I it did make me think about Iggy Azalea sixteen in the middle of Miami, but I guess it would be sixty one in the middle.
Speaker 4: Of my Yeah, this is your old girls, this is.
Speaker 2: Your community, your culture.
Speaker 3: Did you growing up like or do you have any like Boca memories of like retirees or like funny experiences with like retirees in Florida or things that you remember about I don't know. I've never been like surrounded by retirees or like.
Speaker 5: In a yem either.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, like my my, my like street, growing up, like there were no other children who lived in our neighborhood.
Speaker 4: This is all It was all old people.
Speaker 3: I think I spent a lot of my adolescents avoiding watching old people eat food at restaurants. You, honestly, Bobby, your experience. I'm really discovering so much about you right now.
Speaker 2: Rose.
Speaker 3: The fact that you grew up with no children says so much about you and who you are today. That is an incredible thing we've onearthed and you just see like one day, like someone's house being packed up and you're like, oh, I guess they die. They're like, you know, gotta go hit that estate sale. Oh, Bobby, do you have any other like favorite episodes or like things that like what were when you first watched the show? Like what were the things that you talked on about some of them, but what were the things that you like drew out of the show or the things that you really loved about it.
Speaker 5: I just couldn't believe how funny was It's that was the main thing that surprised me. I was like, Oh, this is just jokes. It's just one liners. It's jokes left and right. It's jokes that like I can quote with my sister all the time, Like we have our own little Golden Girls language. That drives the rest of my family crazy because like we can speak exclusively in Golden Girls lines, and it's funny to me because they're just like universal and hilarious. But I think it felt so contemporary in a way, like there was something again. I was just surprised at every turn that, like I was connecting with this thing. But also it made me really that like, oh, of course I love I love like media content, movies, books about older people like I didn't. I didn't grow up in boke a ratone like surrounded by retirees crossing the street all day, but like I definitely grew up liking movies at least about older people, like I love a you know, new divorce, like finding a new life, like you know, like I grew up liking under the Tuscan Sun and like how Stella got her group that sort of shit, Like I always love that stuff, and like I've never seen under the Tuscan sue, Oh my god, under the set and then even better like Waiting to Exhale, which is like four women going through it, you know, like yeah, it's I loved that stuff it and it watching Golden Girls. I just I really connect with stories about people who and it's just I think it's just by like it's incidental. I don't know why it happens, but it's just like a factor of like how things work in movies and TV, because there are always stories about women, but it's like older people like starting a new life or like realizing that you can always change your mind and you can be whoever you want to be at any point in your life. Like I'm really drawn to that story, Like there's no age limit for changing your mind or doing something crazy, Like.
Speaker 3: There really is something about four women, But what is it?
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 3: Because I don't think there would be a Sex in the City without Golden Girls, no kind of And there wouldn't be girls without sex and the City without Golden Girls, and then there wouldn't be an end just like that, although that's not for women. The Sex and the City girls and the Golden Girls have like basically fit every almost every archetype, like obviously, like you know Rose is Charlotte, and Sophia is Miranda, and Blanche is Samantha. I think Dorothy and Carrie are not Dorothy. No, they're not, They're not really they're not really a match actually, Like I think that's the one that doesn't really fit the archetype.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna say, on the retiree.
Speaker 1: Dorothy is Stanford.
Speaker 5: Dorothy is Stanford, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: On the retiree genre, because it is a genre. It's complicated. Have we ever seen it's complicated? Yer? My favorite Nancy Meyers film I love is that the one with no that's something, that Something's okay. They all kind of blend together a lot. But I love stories about women of a certain age going especially I mean with Nancy Meers. It's like wealthy women with nice kitchens in a moment of emotional crisis.
Speaker 2: It's just the best. It's the it's.
Speaker 5: They can really go through it, you know, like they can go through it extravagantly, like that.
Speaker 3: They don't have to worry about like the worldly issues exactly.
Speaker 5: It's even more of a fantasy. It's great.
Speaker 3: Do any of y'all watch Grayson, Frankie or or like, are we excited for like eighty for Brady or whatever that is happening. I can't believe you thought that I would be excited about Haiti for Brady, Bobby's it's Bob.
Speaker 5: I'm excited Bobby. I'm excited for Adie, for Brady, I'm excited for eighty Brady.
Speaker 2: Tell me why come?
Speaker 3: I also I also hated book Club. I did Love was one of the worst movies I've ever seen that I almost walked out.
Speaker 4: Actually I may have walked out of it.
Speaker 5: You walked out of book Club? You missed that Jane Conda finally gets to kiss what's his name like on the roof of her hotel.
Speaker 3: The ending is, oh, no, I actually I watched the whole thing. It was there's a different movie that I walked up. You made a mistake. It's not a movie to see in theaters. It's a movie to watch on a plane, which is how I watched it. And it was perfectly for the plane, perfect exactly.
Speaker 5: And I and friend. To answer your question why I'm gonna like eighty forbid year, why I'm in ad here, Brady, it's the simple answer, which Rose is gonna have a problem with. But it's because I liked book Club. I was like, Oh, they found out that this format works. They're just doing it again, only they're working in like they replaced Diane Keaton with Sally Field and they replaced I guess who else is in book Club? Read a Moreno? Yeah, So it's like, wow, great, let's just do it again.
Speaker 4: I'm just is Diane Keaton done?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Has she been canceled?
Speaker 3: Did you see that movie where the young woman turned into Diane Keaton?
Speaker 5: Mac and rita?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 5: No, friend keeps saying, my friend keep saying it's actually good, And I'm like, there's no way in hell it's actually good.
Speaker 4: There's no way, there's.
Speaker 3: No possible way that she like, what does she like go into a tanning booth and then she comes out as Diane King. Also, whenever somebody's review is it's actually good, like that's an immediate flabum. Yeah, that actually is like hmmm, oh actually it's in spite of something, got it exactly. But I'm just honestly, we should be replacing Rita Morena. We should be, sorry, replacing Diane Keaton with Riada Moreno at every turn in every movie. I'm also so we should we should have Rita Moreno film all of Diane Keaton's Annie Hall. Yes, yes, we should actually know we can't. We can't watch Annie Hall Allen. No, first first wive, Honey, We're we're yes, no, no, no, I actually think you're onto something. We're re recording all of Diane Keaton's films with Rita Moreno and it's going to be like Parent's Rita's version, okay version.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're doing the back catalog.
Speaker 4: Take that scooter by.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I mean, I mean she's an egod, she can handle it. She can get all of the nuances of every performance and like match everything perfectly, so she can just like cover the frame.
Speaker 3: Jane Fonda is also one of my favorite celebrities of all time, point blank period. Like she is like a much like actually like someone like be Arthur who just a lifetime of consistent activism, you know, like a lifetime of like standing for something and like never shying away from that, never never being deterred by celebrity or all that stuff.
Speaker 5: No, it's it's crazy that you Like, it's hard to think of an equivalent to her with someone who's like spanned generations of being kind of on the right side of public opinion and like loudly vocally sort of influentially on the right side of public opinion even when it kind of almost wrecked her career multiple times. I mean, and she was just like, no, it did.
Speaker 1: The only other person I can think of is Lady Gaga.
Speaker 2: Shut up. She's never had a wrong opinion, oh my gods.
Speaker 4: Never.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's had some wrong creative decisions, but you know, she's been on the right side of history, just maybe not the right side.
Speaker 5: Of her history.
Speaker 3: Bobby, have you ever seen did you did you ever watch Malcolm in the Middle.
Speaker 5: I never No, for some reason, that never. That never hit with me.
Speaker 3: So Chloris Leachman and Betty White have like amazing scenes together, like throughout this like throughout the show. Like Betty White is like a character, a recurring character and a lot of the seasons of the show. And it's like and she is her like she she's a she. I would say she doesn't play Rose. I think she almost plays Dorothy More because she's kind of like but she has like she's like, I'm an alluringly sweet old lady, but like beneath, she's like rotten to the core and she's evil and like and like, well, that's kind of what her type evolved, yeah into. That's so much of what she did, like when she played herself on Ugly Betty, or when she was in wasn't she in the Proposal?
Speaker 5: The Proposal?
Speaker 3: Was like yeah, yeah, she was like she's like sweet old lady who's secretly nasty.
Speaker 5: She says fuck in the Proposal. I think it's like it's a PG. Thirteen movie where you know, Betty White says fuck and no one could believe it. I could believe it.
Speaker 3: She was seated but I was seeing it on a plane.
Speaker 5: I love being able to tell people like Golden Girls, Virgins, Golden Girls trivia. But like she was originally Blanche, you know, like that I didn't know that because she was in This is not a show. I'm not, like, I don't have experience with the Mary Tyler Moore show, but I guess on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, which she was in before this, she was like the sexy employee at the office, like the sultry one, the alluring one, and she was going to play a similar character in Golden Girls. They were like, she's good at this, We'll let her do it, and she was like, I want to do something different, let me be Rose. And then they got rude, what's her name, Rue McClanahan to be Blanche. But I'm just like, oh, I guess at the time that kind of was a twist for her. So like audiences back when the show premiered were like, Oh, she's not playing the sexy one. That's so weird, But you two aren't there yet. The reveal kind of in the middle of the series is that no one has had more sex than Rose.
Speaker 3: Oh right, now she becomes the anointed slut. I was reading about that.
Speaker 5: She she becomes the anointed slut because they find out that she had like like one hundred boyfriends in high school and also that she and her husband had sex every single night of their marriage until he died, and Blanche like can't believe it, and it's just like, oh, I love the reveal that even though she's the sort of sweet one, she loves to fuck. Yeah, like, that's like.
Speaker 3: That she probably in the show and she probably tears those men apart. Also, one of the episodes I was watching, she reveals that Hitler was like a teacher at her school.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, that's one of that is one of the weirdest reveals in the first of all, that episode is so strange where she goes back to school to get her high school diploma. Yeah yeah, and then you find out that her like Jim teacher was Hitler and that Ava Brown was there in saying Olaf, Minnesota, and you find out that the whole reason the entire town is dumb is because it was a secret plot by the Germans make Americans stupid, Like what it's so it's like so absurd, and then the show's like, anyway, I was watching.
Speaker 3: I really I would love to know what the Golden Girls writer's room was, Like, I mean, I'm sure it was like so fun and but also like they really go there, Like I was. I think I only watched the first season, like episodes in the first season, but I was just watching an episode where Sophia makes this offhanded joke about how she used to work in Mussolini's kitchen, and.
Speaker 2: I was like what.
Speaker 3: I was like, what, Like it's so funny and so dark, but like, I don't know, I kind of love it.
Speaker 2: I live for stuff like that.
Speaker 5: There's a it's like every once in a while there will just be something really surprising and like something that's like overtly sexual or like extremely progressive, or just like kind of a controversial political opinion, like a progressive political opinion that they put on like network television that you sort of are surprised to see on like populist entertainment. But then it's like I think a lot of it had to do with like who was watching it, Like older people were watching it. It wasn't on like I think it was on like Fridays and Saturdays, Like it had a very weird time slot, so they could get away with a lot of stuff because like it was really popular, but it wasn't like mussy TV Thursdays or something. You know. It was like in a very special, little more secluded spot, so they could be a little more, a little racier, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also they weren't afraid to be kind of like sad. Like I watched the episode where their neighbor dies because because Rose says that she hopes she drops dead, and then they realize, like this woman like everyone hates her, so they have to throw her a funeral, and like that was so like devastatingly sad to think about, but it was really funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they make that whole episode. It's almost like, when you think about an episode like that, if they made that in twenty twenty two, you would want to work in a little bit of a like some sort of sad backstory about this evil woman who lived next door, and that episode completely rejects it. It's like, no, she was, she's a bawful evil woman, and we're glad that she's dead. End of story. We're done, Like that's it. It's so like, oh wow, they went there.
Speaker 2: It's really new.
Speaker 3: It's like really like they just yeah, they're not afraid to just like be funny about death, Like there I want.
Speaker 1: It's true sitcom lone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I watched the episode where Blanche you know, is thinking about giving her sister a kidney, and how it's like a very real circumstance and the and the you know, the climax does become very sincere. But at the end of the day, she's like, I don't want to give her my fucking kidney, like I hate her, and it's like it's like and she can die, Like that's literally like kind of what it is.
Speaker 2: And it's like, I I love that episodes like that.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I would say I haven't seen everything, but I feel like all, if not most of the episodes that I watched were about mortality in some way, Like death is this kind of theme that's at a low simmer.
Speaker 7: Death is the fifth.
Speaker 3: Exactly, No, not no, you know, And I think that that that was like the joy of the show is like it revels in death.
Speaker 2: It's joyful about death.
Speaker 3: It show it shows you how these women live bigger because death is at the doorstep, or that they have less at stake, they can be more themselves because you know, we're all gonna die, and like, I don't know, that's liberatory. It's just amazing. It was so fun to watch the characters. It's kind of like nihilistic, Yeah, a little bit exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is got frand you got it. That's exactly what it is. Like I guess I've never really like thought about it in those terms exactly, but that's like such a huge part of why it works. It's like they know that they're near death even though they're like they started making the show when they were like fifty five, so like they were actually like fairly young, but at the time it was they they were should they should have been retired, They should have been you know, planning for their funerals or whatever. The kidney thing reminds me that kidney story that you picked up on a friend of mine. His brother had some sort of kidney disease and I don't know what it was, but needed a kidney transplant. Like it was desperate, needed a kidney transplant. And so the process is you like ask like I don't know if you've seen this, Lena Gomez my mind in me or whatever, but like you ask as many people as you can like you you have to, you know, you know, open up your circle and say like, are you willing to give me a kidney or at least get the test? And so he was like, it's my brother. I love my brother, but like part of me rudely hopes that I'm not a match because then I have to have surgery or whatever, Like isn't that a horrible feeling to have? And I was like, oh, I'd never considered that, but like even if it is someone you love, like you have to go under the knife to take a piece of you out and give it to a person, Like that's like rough. And I just never hear would give a kidney to before? Who would I get?
Speaker 4: Would you get? Would you give Rita Aura a kidney if she needed one?
Speaker 5: I feel like the thing is and I that's kind of what my friend was saying, like the moment you're a match, you have to like I somehow, if I somehow end up on like the male gets mixed up, that's like a movie or something like if I take a if I take a test and the hospital finds out that I'm a match for a Rita Aura or like Jesse j or something, and they're just like Bobby jesse J like needs a kidney. I'd be like, well, fuck, how do you say no? How do you say no to that? Like jesse J is getting my kidney?
Speaker 4: I like you can't easily say no. I think as jesse J has said.
Speaker 5: No, no no no no no no no no no no. But like I really do think that you just send you that video out. Oh my god, if you get asked like, don't you kind of have to like because you don't speak for yourself.
Speaker 2: Man, not me, I'd be like, good, diva.
Speaker 5: Guilt guilt works on me, so like not on Rose and I guilt is guilt is you know, my kryptonite, And it's like, oh god, I gotta.
Speaker 4: Give just no I'm I'm I'm Jewish. If it's not my mother, I'm like, good luck with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are very few people that I would give a kidney too. But also my kidneys are probably rotted, like you don't want my kidneys? Like, no, man, I would give you a kidney, fran I would give I mean, I was gonna say I would give you a kidney, But I don't think you would ever want a kidney.
Speaker 2: I think you'd be like I be like.
Speaker 4: No, I'd like I'm dying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, You're like no, thanks, okay.
Speaker 3: I'd feel like i'd be like'ally like thanks, you're in.
Speaker 5: You had a great run of it or whatever. Yeah, I feel I feel like rotten inside. Although like like honestly, who gives a fuck about crystiality, Like that's not even a controversial opinion, but like, this was one of the first celebrity deaths in a long time where I was just like, I cannot stop thinking about this funny tweet, like I'm incapable of mourning this woman. I'm incapable of mourning this one.
Speaker 3: I know level I Also, it felt compounded for me because a couple of days ago, I had I tweeted that Kirsty Ali was one celebrity who I would not eat if I was a cannibal because that tastes bad and so and so last night, like someone with like one hundred thousand followers quote tweeted it and was like, what did you know? And now people are like in my mention saying that I killed Kirsty Well and cheering is next.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I just I just.
Speaker 4: What I stand by what I said.
Speaker 2: I had actually I forgot.
Speaker 3: About the the Stephen Hawking tweet I loved, but I just couldn't stop thinking about how she was like supporting Trump is like, you know, I'm the most marginalized because I support Trump and like and also she was like cheering on the insurrection or whatever. Wait, yeah she was a bad Yeah, Bobby, this is this is a who n muquestion? What is the deal between like Kirsten Johnson and Kirsty Ali and why they look exactly the same? Like I don't is that Like I saw the Kirsten Johnson memes after what is I like forgot that they're not the same person.
Speaker 5: I'd never considered it until she died, because suddenly we've gotten a lot of calls and emails about it. I'm just like, oh, that's really interesting. But I guess it's just like why did they look so similar? I guess it's like a nineties TV sitcom bucket that both of them filled.
Speaker 2: And yeah, they play the same, both of them.
Speaker 5: Because I feel like Kristin Johnson when she made I guess her first big show was Third Rock from the Sun, I guess where it's like, like, it wouldn't surprise me if they were like, well, we need a Kirsty Alley type for this totally, so like here's this woman who'll fill the bucket because like they're also plug and play, especially in the nineties, like all those shows were basically the same. It's like, oh, but this time they're Aliens.
Speaker 3: Well, when she fell out of the Chirsty Ally was arguably much more famous because.
Speaker 5: She was a movie Oh yeah, she.
Speaker 3: Had a film career and and Kristin Johnson, you know, I mean to me, her greatest work was as Lexi Featherstone in that one episode of Absolute I'll bet you they went out to Kirsty Ali first, they were like, Kirsty, will you please fall out of this window?
Speaker 2: And she was like not.
Speaker 5: I wonder if Kristy Ali like what. I feel like she is too like self obsessed and has no sense of humour about herself, Like I don't know that she would be willing to like die and something like that, like maybe she said no, And then Kristen Kirsten Johnson just has a better sense of humor where she's like, yeah, I don't care. I didn't all smoke a cigarette and fall out a window.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch fat actress, but I was told that it was pretty good, So maybe she does have a sense of humor about herself.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm trying.
Speaker 5: Were you were you told it was actually pretty good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was actually pretty good.
Speaker 3: I did watch Veronica's Closet when it was on. I don't really remember anything about it, but I did.
Speaker 4: Watch it.
Speaker 5: I know I watched it too.
Speaker 1: She will forever, but I I mean, I was just thinking about it last night. She really had the filmography, like she had a lot of hits dropped out. Gorgeous obviously is my favorite, but like she was in every big movie in the nineties, and like especially in a lot of mom roles, like she was very good, having like a a sort of like like down to earth warmth but still like funny.
Speaker 5: I like, like, look, Who's Talking is a good movie, you know, like and it's good kind of mostly because she's really good in it. I mean, also the baby voices are funny, like whatever. But she's she's very likable. Like the moment when she's on screen, she's very likable, and the moment she's off screen, it's like no one's ever been more unlikable.
Speaker 3: That movie's about talking babies, right, I'm not mistaken. It is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fully like about but she talking babies.
Speaker 5: And she gets pregnant like her boss, isn't it. Like her boss is a real piece of shit. And they have they have like some kind of affair and she gets pregnant and the boss wants something to do with her, so he ends up raising this baby alone and it has the voice of Bruce Willis.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only thing I remember about those movies is I think there's a scene where there's a talking sperm fertilizing an egg.
Speaker 5: No, it's like the opening of the movie. Yeah, because they like they have sex at the beginning and then and then it immediately cuts to like all these sperm like like floating around and like get into the egg.
Speaker 3: We need more movies about sperm, right, we need more movies inside vaginal canals.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, we have blonde so glads.
Speaker 5: I still haven't seen me either.
Speaker 2: No, there's no reason, there's no reason.
Speaker 5: I just don't think I'm ever gonna do it.
Speaker 3: All you need to know is that the camera goes inside Marilyn Monroe's vagina twice twice, not once, twice, Yes, as part as a way to show her trauma or something.
Speaker 4: Did that ever happen on Golden Girls? Did they ever go to the college?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: But they do go to a sperm bank. There's like funny there's there's a funny episode about like Blanche's daughter, who's like one of the worst characters in the show, and it's played by at least two actresses, maybe three, decides that she wants to have a baby as a single woman, and she has to go to a sperm bank in Miami, and it's like a very funny scene and they talk like openly about sperm in a way that's like pretty hysterical, but like we don't go inside any of their vaginas ever, So that was like a bridge too far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if there was, I mean, and there probably inevitably will be a Golden Girl's reboot.
Speaker 4: Who would you want to see in it?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: My god?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Did it? Okay?
Speaker 3: Wait, I need to actually look up her name so that I'm not just saying the lady from Triangle of Sadness.
Speaker 2: But there's this car.
Speaker 4: I still haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, it needs an editor. But okay, Dolly de Leon, is that's true?
Speaker 2: There's this there's this character.
Speaker 3: Dolly de Leon, who would be so good in A Golden Girl's Reboot.
Speaker 5: I feel she's so good and triangle of sadness that movie. I agree with the editing thing, but like by the you're sort of like, oh my god, this movie is still on and then she shows up in your life and find that this movie is exactly yeah.
Speaker 3: Rose, no spoilers, but she basically emerged. She's a character that essentially emerges in the third act of the film and takes over and you're just like you're so in her hands and she becomes the best character.
Speaker 1: Okay, so she's one of the Golden girls in the rebo.
Speaker 4: I think you would.
Speaker 5: Need Gloria Estephan honestly, Like I think you lean into the Miami. I think you lean into the Miami of it, and you're like, this is Gloria Stephan's house, Like that's the and she's the numberwelf. Yeah, I think that's maybe like the number one mandatory. I think you like really go all in on the Miami aspect, and it's like you find three other women. I don't care who it is, but like if Gloria Stephan is Blanche, I think that we have a winning.
Speaker 3: Show like that doesn't Rosi O'Donnell, has she that you have a house the island, right, Yeah, that's the Rich Island or whatever where they all live.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Rose O'Donnell is one of the is one of the women?
Speaker 5: Yeah that works, not that?
Speaker 4: And then who's the fourth one we should get?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say a queer woman, and then I was like, we just said, like the biggest lesbian in.
Speaker 1: The world, not Leah Delaria Phoebe.
Speaker 4: We can't be.
Speaker 2: Character these women are not they don't look.
Speaker 3: The thing about honestly Golden Girls is that these women looked old but now like women like now it's like, oh Lucy lou is fifty five, You're like, what the fuck like happened? Like, no, with them, we have to get someone truly ancient people that look like Kilda in her Suspiria Matrix lay Yeah exactly, yeah, God, who who I was just it's just.
Speaker 1: C G I Betty White like we used like the we use like Betty White.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Actually, maybe there should be a man as one of the Golden Girls, a gay guy who's an old gay guy who could who could be Ian McKellen has never had like an old fag role like he I mean in the colle he needs a role where he is a fat.
Speaker 4: I'm really glad.
Speaker 5: It's just a good format. Like I'm just saying, any you could really cast anyone in that fourth bucket and it would be a good show. I think that they're just it's a good format. Like older people like doing whatever they want to do in Miami, especially if they're rich and they live on whatever that island is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have to get rid of the whole, like they have to move in because they can't pay rent. There needs to be some kind of like other conceit because they have to be wealthy. It just doesn't work otherwise there's no class consciousness in this reboot.
Speaker 2: Did we cast them.
Speaker 3: Into their specific roles or are we just going to give them new archetypes. It's probably new archetypes.
Speaker 5: But then I think, well, if we need a slut glorious stuff on his blood one.
Speaker 3: Still Dolly daily On can be the Sofia because she's like the meanest.
Speaker 5: And then who wilse to be? Oh Rosie O'Donnell's Rose and no Harvey Firestein is Rose the AI or the AI hologram Rose and then Rosie O'donald's, Rosie O'donald's Dorothy. No, Rosie Donalds Dorothy. I think it works.
Speaker 2: I don't like.
Speaker 4: And then Gloria Estefan is the slide.
Speaker 3: I have to say, I don't approve of Rosie o'donnald and this.
Speaker 4: This well, too bad, too bad.
Speaker 1: Central Central Casting has spoken.
Speaker 2: She talks, said that she wants to do it. Really, she said she wanted to do it.
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean, I'm just assuming.
Speaker 1: Oh she's yeah, No, I I texted her she's she's Oh God.
Speaker 6: Wait.
Speaker 3: Can I just say I did just google old female actresses still alive?
Speaker 2: And the first let.
Speaker 5: Me let me so it's really old female?
Speaker 3: I know not and also not let me tell you I did not use the old cis gender female. No, I have to say it's still alive. Still, let me clarify. I did not type in old female actresses. I typed in like an old actress now or something like that, and then it suggested one of the suggested ones this old female actress is still live, and that is the page that I'm on right now.
Speaker 2: And let me read you this list.
Speaker 3: Nicole Kidman now, Helena Bonham Garter Robin Wright, Halle.
Speaker 2: Berry and Salma Hayak. None of these women are old.
Speaker 4: We live in a variety. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: I feel insane reading this anyways.
Speaker 1: Well, I identify as an old female actress still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: For now, I just want to say one last thing. Blanche Rue McClanahan was fifty three when the Golden Girls started, and Nicole Kimman is fifty five. So but in eighties, in eighties Hollywood terms, Nicole Kidman is an old all Hollywood actress, still alive. When they said when they said heartbreak feels good in a place like this, they were talking about that, how us and eating cheesecake, slide into our dms at like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine and let us know which Golden Girl are you, and make sure you come back next week when we will be talking all about summer camp. Until then, you can buy our merchant like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine dot com, become a patron at Patreon dot com slash like a Virgin for weekly bonus episodes. You can come see us at the Bellhouse in Brooklyn on June twenty sixth. Tickets are at the Bellhouse.
Speaker 3: NY dot com and you can follow us on Instagram at Like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine. You can also follow me wherever you want at Rosdomu, and you can find me at friends, squish Goo, anywhere you want. Like a Virgin is an iHeartRadio production. Our producer is Foodie Unter, with support from Lindsay Hoffman and Nikki Metur.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being friend.
Speaker 3: Bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Bye bye now mm hmm