Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, done.
Speaker 1: Done, Hello, that's messed up an sv podcast.
Speaker 3: I am Lisa Traeger.
Speaker 1: I'm Kara Klank And you know what we do here, guys. We talk SVU. We talk about a true crime that the episode was based on, and usually we talked to a celebrity guest that was in the episode. But we are standing strong in support of our union right now and we are on strike with them, so we will not be interviewing anybody during the pod until we get a fair deal. And this is the first day Lisa and I are c each other after our little summer break. We took two weeks because I went to summer camp with my children and went to the East Coast to see my family, and Lisa was selling out shows all over the damn place. I had fun Holler, Sacramento and Portland.
Speaker 3: I had a really great time.
Speaker 2: It's kind of the extreme case of what we have in our podcast. And one of my biggest pet peeves is a live female performer I would say, is when you could tell men do not want to be there and they hate you and they don't and they want to make sure their girlfriends or wives are not having a good time. Narcissists, when it's not about them, they have to ruin it. And there was a couple in the front row and I could tell she was so excited, and he just was pissed and was staring at me, not even kindly like you don't have to laugh, but like ye out, but he was just aggressive, stern, whatnot.
Speaker 3: And I said, you need to leave.
Speaker 2: Eddie looked at me and kind of scoffed, and I go, I don't know why you think I'm kidding, but I am not performing with your energy here, and you need to get up and leave.
Speaker 3: And it sucks that you're ruining it for her.
Speaker 2: And then she was embarrassed and felt sad for her, And on the way out the staff said that he was like, I guess she couldn't handle what I was throwing down, and it's like, what what are you throwing down? As throwing down? But also you could sit in the back and not have a good time, but you don't get to ruin my like you don't get this glare at me with hate in the front row.
Speaker 3: Leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it sucks that I have to focus on that when everyone was so great and fun. Well, this was the best part was everyone in Sacramento said, don't leave your hotel, don't go on walks, it's dangerous. And then the one suggestion I had for fun was to park outside of the prison at two am, and that's when all the people get let out on bail and so then there's like a big exodus. So I thought that was kind of a funny suggestion.
Speaker 3: Did you do it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I did not. I did not do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So tell me about trip, about camp, about the kids. Rosie started school today. I mean there's so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so much going on. It's crazy. I mean, we're in the time machine. But I did just get back from two and a half weeks straight with myke kids, and the day I get back, there's a her a quake in La and school gets canceled.
Speaker 3: So the first day, which was a joke, which was a joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had crazy. It was sunny and eighty degrees gorgeous. I sat on a patio yesterday for like four hours. It was so gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just thinking about you having school canceled for truly no reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in a way, I was like, I was glad. Rosie got like a little day because I dragged her ass from Vermont to Connecticut, woke her up at four in the morning, got her on a plane, brought her back to la and then was gonna wake her up in the morning go start a new school. So she got like a day to just chill and like relax.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We I flew with my kids for my first time ever by myself, which was challenging because immediately when we got to the airport, Oscar stuck his finger in Rosie's eye and she cried about it the entire day on and off.
Speaker 3: But it was pretty good. Oscar just kept.
Speaker 1: Being like, I want to get off the plane, and I was like, I don't think you get how this works.
Speaker 2: Do you sit in the middle or do you sit on the aisle? How do you organize when you're alone?
Speaker 1: When I'm alone on this kind of plane where this was a two three two plane, I just do the three in the middle where I'm in the center of them and they're on my sides, which kind of sucks because when I travel with Jared, we do two and two and Oscar's like blocked in by the window.
Speaker 3: This time.
Speaker 1: He just kept being like bye, he keep going, he keeps going, I'll be right back, Mama.
Speaker 3: I'm like, where are you going? You can't just be right back you two? And he just wanted is he waiving the people or what is he? Yeah, he just wanted to run up and down the aisles.
Speaker 1: He just wanted to like walk and like move his body, and like he doesn't really. I find I have found with my kids that they won't really keep the headphones on until they're like three. So even though he's watching a TV show and he understands that the sound is coming out of these headphones, he's like, get these off of me. So he's not as engaged with television as he usually is because he won't fucking listen to it. So it's like a mind show of baby Shark or whatever. I don't let him watch that. I mean, what was he watching?
Speaker 3: Oh, Pepa, Pepa Pig.
Speaker 1: And I think I'm affecting him with Pepa pig because he has been calling strawberries strawberries lately. So we'll see what's going on there? But he's like talking so much. I always find big trips like make kids have like verbal kind of like have verbal speed ups, kind of like when we took Rosy on a big trip which she was little, she just started talking and Oscar's just like, Mom, can I just talk to you for a second. He's just saying all these like weird second sentences.
Speaker 3: But anyway, got them there.
Speaker 1: Everything was good, got to see my siblings. Took them to another part of Connecticut where my friend Sky lives, and like sure her family lives on this beautiful like point right on Long Island Sound, and like my kids were just like digging for shells and looking for crabs and like having the best time. And then I did go see Titanique. I know a bunch of you message because you were excited that I was going to see Titanique. I loved it. I mean, obviously, Jared said to me, he goes it was like a rusical if everybody was extremely good at singing, Like everybody in it was so talented, like there wasn't. And what was crazy was there were a bunch of little slips in my program, meaning that you know, people were taking over for other people, and I was like, oh my god, are we going to get some kind of like understudy cast.
Speaker 3: There was a girl in it that I was like, yes, But.
Speaker 2: We've talked about understudies before, and they are the unsung heroes and the most talented people because they have to know everyone's parts. They have to be ready in a moment's notice, and they saved the day tons of times and sometimes it's there like one big shot.
Speaker 3: So they and their voices ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're ready. They've been doing eight shows a week. That's I mean, they've been doing eight shows a week. Maybe in the chorus, but this show actually doesn't have a big chorus like the there's a couple of understudies like.
Speaker 3: You can if you've seen it.
Speaker 1: Basically, what Titanique is is it's off Broadway. It's down at this theater that's right off Union Square. It's actually where I went to go see this magician to his one man show called In and of Itself.
Speaker 3: Derek DelGaudio. I have thoughts.
Speaker 1: If anybody love messaged me. I love magic, but I did not like this man's show. This man tried to do a one man show or was magic, but it was also about like his mom being gay and like hate crimes, and I was like, I don't this is not hitting for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want your magic and hate crimes separate.
Speaker 1: I want my magic. Yes, I want my magic and hate crimes separate. Please, But they so they do it there. It's like an off Broadway theater. It's the story of Titanic the movie, like Jack and Rose, the whole thing, but set to the music of Celen Dion. And there's a woman playing Celen Dion who like pops in and narrates the whole thing. And I did not see the original girl who's been Selene, because she's actually the co creator of the show.
Speaker 3: She just a couple weeks earlier swapped out.
Speaker 1: But I got this woman who was like the longest running Alpha BA on Broadway and was so talented, like amazing voice, and it's just fun. It's a really funny part because they're playing this like caricature of Celendon where they keep going I'm all right, and like they're like doing a French Canadian accent and like crossing their eyes and like being all goofy.
Speaker 3: I was loving it.
Speaker 1: There's every reference is like pop culture gay, like if you're not a woman or.
Speaker 3: A gay man.
Speaker 1: I'm not really under I don't really know if it's like for you, but or you're not into those things. Like Jared got plenty of the references because I make him watch drag race and stuff. But there was I just loved it, and I also took it edible. But I thought it was really really fun.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. Yeah, love supporting the arts. While a couple things popped into my mind that I did not tell you. One of the waitresses at the Club and Sacramento, she used to live in New York, and one of her regular bart regular restaurant patrons, why don't yes, was.
Speaker 3: The Gilgo Beach Killer. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He would come in with all these other architects and he asked for her number ones or gave his number like something like that. But she obviously, you know, wasn't like she was not interested, but she served him all the time.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I read an article about that.
Speaker 1: This girl wrote that she used to work for him, and basically she just kind of described how he was like just you know, something a little off, but not like enough to like call the cops or whatever. But she just thought so there was something always like weird about him. But fuck, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Did you know I had COVID? Yes, I was checking in on you.
Speaker 1: God, I was so annoying. That is so annoying. Was it like really bad?
Speaker 2: I didn't feel great and I didn't have energy, but it didn't feel like the first time I had it, so it didn't even click in my head like I thought it was something else. I was like, oh, my throat hurts, it's obviously because I smoked too much weed. And so I pulled back on weed. And then I was like having all these side effects. And when I looked up online and these reddits, all of them were symptoms of weed withdrawal. So I just assumed my throat hurts because of weed. I'm having these symptoms because I'm quitting weed. And then I nothing. It just was so much and I took a test and then I was like, Wow, I'm a fool. I'm a fool. I've gotten to know.
Speaker 1: That's what's crazy is I keep saying, oh, this doesn't like if I get a little thing, I'm like, this doesn't feel like the last time I had COVID.
Speaker 3: I think I would know, but it like then, so when I was in Vermont.
Speaker 1: So basically, after I did some time in Connecticut with my family, I took my kids to this family camp in Vermont where I helped run the program. And it's like a fun, really fun week. And I was sick the first like three days with a really super sore throat, and I grabbed a COVID test because I was like, this is not what it felt like last time, and Jared.
Speaker 3: Goes, but that's what Lisa said. So I was like, I have to take a test.
Speaker 1: And I was negative, but like I was concerned, you know, because like I don't want to be like a super spreader at my family camp.
Speaker 2: Wait, so what did you do in Connecticut in terms of probably just the pool, right or did you guys me kind.
Speaker 3: Of just pooled.
Speaker 1: There was like a rainy day where I took the kids to this children's museum that they're obsessed with, and I walked to Oscar around my old hometown like a little bit on the street, and it's just crazy because all the stores are different and like everything is so like nothing stays.
Speaker 3: Planning, It's wow. Planning.
Speaker 2: Planning hit us up because I want to know if that's just a rom com job or a real job.
Speaker 1: No, my friend hasn't ever been planning her in New York, And so does the city hire this person? Yeah, he works for like a firm and then like the city hires them.
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, yeah really.
Speaker 1: And my friend, my other friend from college, actually is like a lawyer who works with him all the time, because I think she does some kind of law that's urban planning adjacent.
Speaker 2: Mine was boring about COVID tell me about camp was what are the funn act The photos looked very cute, it seemed yeah, nature a good time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really cute.
Speaker 1: I mean, this apparently was like the rainiest summer Vermont has ever had. They actually had like a lot of damage and like the state capitol and stuff from like microbursts and like huge storms.
Speaker 3: So normally this is like the most beautiful week.
Speaker 1: But we did get a couple of rainy days, which was fine, but honestly, I love it. A bunch of my old friends came back with their kids. Like I was at camp with like kids people who were my cam my campers and friends, and then we were counselors together, and now we're all back together with our kids there and our kids are like becoming friends with each other.
Speaker 3: It was just really cute.
Speaker 1: And I had a horrible bed, so I didn't sleep the whole week. But do you get your own cabin? Like, do you and your family get your own cabin? Yeah, we get a cabin because we have young kids. A lot of people are are in like the platform tents where it's like four beds are on like a wooden platform with like these big canvas tents over them, and I we'll move to that probably like in a year or two. But just because my kids are small, like you know, I have them in a cabin right now. And Jared I think likes having a bathroom because if you are in a tent, you just share like a bathroom with the other people.
Speaker 3: But it's great.
Speaker 1: I don't have to think about cooking a meal for my kids for an entire week, not one meal, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Speaker 3: Cocktail hour every day at five really fun. There's a way you guys are getting hammered at camp.
Speaker 1: Well, the participants are all allowed to drink during cocktail hour. I'm not supposed to because technically i'm staff, but my boss does don't really care if I have one glass of wine. Or whatever, but people are drinking. Yeah, I love that. Yeah, and staff watches the kids so that the parents can like go have a normal conversation and eat a cheese played, and then h there was a variety show and Rosie did do three numbers in the variety show. Now, if you're listening to this and you have a child, you probably know this song where it's like a TikTok song or something. It's only a minute long, and Lisa, we've played it for you and you were very flabbergasted about what the point of it was. But it's this song where like a phone rings and someone goes hello, Hello, is anyone on the line, And then a voice goes watermelon yamou and then it turns into this little like techno song where.
Speaker 3: They just keep saying watermelon mayamoo.
Speaker 1: Rosie got there and her little best friend boyfriend from last summer, was like, I love watermelon yalmo, and Rosie was like, so do I. So they immediately came up with a variety show act where I was the person on the phone. They were behind the stage and every time it was watermelon mealmout, they came out. I'll post the video if people have an interest. I'll post the video on our Instagram stories. But there's a video and it's so cute and funny. And then Rosie and her best buddy bo and this kid Patrick. They always end the Variety Show with a dance party. Last year, as you all know, they did Sandstorm. This year they did I Like to Move It from a Madagascar movie called Escape to Africa, and it's the Will I Am version of I Like to Move It, Move It, and it's just fun. My kids ad the best time. They swim in the lake. Oh my god. I was so nervous that I had these like bitchy little California kids that would only swim swimming pools.
Speaker 3: They loved the lake. This time got in the lake, loved it.
Speaker 2: That's one of the reasons I'm planning a trip back home. I want to jump into Lake Michigan on bike path. Like someone posted a photo of the lake and I go, that looks appealing to me, and I need to jump in it. I need to lakes. The sharks are out and about this summer. I also sharks are sharking. I went to the Grove for the first time. The mall was a amazing I don't know why I haven't been to the Grove more often. It was gorgeous, but I saw Meg two. Not good, Ah, not good, unfortunately the worst of the summer.
Speaker 3: I would say, oh, no, you've been seeing so many movies. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was really upset because I love Meg one and I just really wanted an explosive good time and it was just more of a mess of a good time.
Speaker 3: Oh that sucks, Yeah, it was. That sucks. Wait, but how is that? Why is the Is the Grove to me, is identical to the Americana. No, I think it's chicer. I think it's sexier.
Speaker 2: I think Americana is more wide and sunshine, and I think the Groves is like sexier.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's both owned by Caruso, I think.
Speaker 2: But yes, there's just it's more high class store.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: No, they're both amazing malls. There's something a little sexier about the Grove.
Speaker 1: To me, Well, the Americana is doing their best. They've got a Gucci coming in a bigger Tiffany. They're trying to spruce up and get higher and shit, no.
Speaker 3: It's a luxurious, amazing mall.
Speaker 2: There was just something about like the extra trees like there was just something, you know. Maybe it was because I was having a margarita looking at people. I'm not sure, I like dressed up. I was so excited.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. And then the Meg was a bummer. Yeah, Meg too. Who's in those movies?
Speaker 2: Who's in that Jason Statham? Okay, oh my god. So I got asked to do a podcast. I don't remember the name of it. It's Andrew Rofo's podcast, but it's IMDb games where it's all about star meter and asked. They ask you questions and you're competing with another comic to like win. I won by over like twenty three thousand points. I truly demolished this person. And it's because we're on IMDb because of this podcast so much that I really got in.
Speaker 3: I know, the star meters baby and I had.
Speaker 2: I'm actually pretty impressive, I'll be honest, because they give you a year star meter and I was pretty shockked.
Speaker 3: What's your star meter? I'm at six thousand.
Speaker 1: You're the six thousandth most famous person on IMDb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: I know early July I was at three thousand because I was in like a project, but yeah, I mean it felt pretty good.
Speaker 3: People are probably searching you. They're like who is that?
Speaker 2: Because I guess they're like, guess what your star meter is? And I guessed one hundred thousand for myself, and then I was pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 3: I was really one hundred thousand. Oh my god. Well, now you know I'm looking up mine and am I going to be sad?
Speaker 1: You might have to go on your IMDb pro though you're not going to go I don't have PRO.
Speaker 2: I have pro BB. Wait, they're not just gonna show me. No, you have to have PRO. But this was my best and I love this person. But I was against this comic Mike fell Zone, and the question was pick an SNL cast member, and you basically just compete who has the best star meter, And this person chose Chris Red, who's an angel.
Speaker 3: I love him.
Speaker 2: I've known him since Chicago. He's very talented, he's out there working. But you know, I said Pete Davidson, there's also people like I don't know, Will Ferrell, Tina.
Speaker 3: Fay, Julia, Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 2: Like to pick Chris Red was just so funny, and that's what that's that put me in the over twenty thousand point win category.
Speaker 3: I would say it was so fun. It's the funnest game of all time.
Speaker 1: It was like such a joy to play it, so many fun rounds. I wish I knew the name, so we can, you know, shout out our friend. This intro is going along. Also, you know your camps in Vermont. We're on tour. We're gonna be in Vermont. We're in lots of cities, our southern cities. Why aren't you buying tickets? If you ever want us to come back, you better fucking get your asses over. Yeah, we're gonna have to literally just be like no South if we can't get people to Atlanta. Charlotte Raley, We're in DC this weekend stand up and and podcasts for doing two shows.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited. I'm excited to get back out there, new games. Oh, keep on, new episodes. I'm like bombed. Yeah, I'm excited to be back on the tour. You know this comes out five days before we start. I am my c DC is gonna be insane because I'm doing a college in Connecticut.
Speaker 1: I'm doing Central like Connecticut University, right, Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I'm doing that on the seventh and then driving all night to d C with my opener, and then I will get to DC in the morning and sleep until my show, I think.
Speaker 3: But it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be reminiscent of my early comedy days, like driving all night and you.
Speaker 1: Know, well, honestly, really so bad around New York and DC that like, you're probably doing the smartest thing because the traffic on those areas, the mid Atlantic Corridor, it's really terrible.
Speaker 3: By Planet Corridor.
Speaker 1: Five days, five days from now, we're going to be in DC. We sold out the seven pm Baby, We added a bed show. We added a three thirty come on down have a little daytime fun with your gals.
Speaker 2: What better breakfast than a mazzarella stick? I can't think of it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, why not a plate of nachos in the afternoon on a sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sunday scaries. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Not when you're going to a podcast and getting buzzed at three thirty.
Speaker 3: Our intro is so long. Listen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got some of you fast forwarded it because we had some thoughts on the Barbie movie, and you should be ashamed of yourself. We deserve an opinion too, Okay, we deserve an opinion. Are you gonna stop listening because I didn't like the Meg two?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna turn your back on us? Yeah? Like we said, like I listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: Where I hate the host takes all the time. I just keep it pushing, you know, I still think they're funny and great.
Speaker 2: I know, because of the strike, I couldn't even promote the show I'm in. But there is a new cartoon on Hulu that I really love. It's called Praise p D. It's incredible. Oh, I have a dressin I've watched every episode two three times. It is I hope I mean, I hope the strike and everything gets together for my own career, but also so I can get more seasons of this fucking show. Ye, she's so mad. It's already a finale. It's done. Ten episodes are done. I'm like heartbroken. It's so fun and good and I'm.
Speaker 1: So glad you're not asking me what I'm caught up on, because I've watched no TV in the last two and a half weeks, and I'm about to sit and catch up on my Rony and everything I need to catch up on right now. Because I am behind. But that's as you we're starting. We're starting. Yeah, let's start, let's start. We've got a great episode for you today. Don't go anywhow okay, we are doing web such a dark episode. Season seven, episode twenty one from the mid auts two thousand and six. This episode came out. We open on a little puppet saying, how did you feel when your mom's boyfriend touched you?
Speaker 3: Like that?
Speaker 1: Like that, like a very typical like what you think of, like show me on the dolly where you were touched or whatever. And it's obviously an educational presentation happening at.
Speaker 3: A little school.
Speaker 1: And I immediately recognize the puppeteer, and I remember recognizing her when I watched this episode. Her name is Jennifer Barnhart, and I saw her in Avenue Q off Broadway months before this episode aired. So when I watched this episode in two thousand and six, I was like, wait, I know that woman because she's on stage for like all of Avenue Q. She's a big part of it. So she also went on to be in the Broadway version of the show. She's also a Sesame Street gal and she played Chicago Police Department detective Lorna Diamond in the episode Behave, which is the Jennifer Love hewittt episode. So I haven't watched that guy in a while, so if you see it, you might recognize this puppeteer from that. So she's giving this puppet presentation to a school about bad touch and they get all the kids to say say no, then go, and then they tell the kids if they have any secrets or confessions, they can talk to them privately after So I thought that was kind of weird, but great. Cut to the kids lined up to tell the puppet, the puppet and the puppeteer about how they rub boogers on their sister, and you know, she's like, well, would you want boogers on you?
Speaker 3: And whatever?
Speaker 1: And then next up is com one of my brother's names, and he says, my friend says, rubbing weenies feels good, and you know, the music the music violins start queuing, so we know this is like a serious accusation.
Speaker 3: He says, it's his.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we need the violins because there is a puppet in the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't know how serious it is.
Speaker 1: We don't need a slide whistle, you know, we need to fully, like, make this definitive that it's serious.
Speaker 2: I also wonder, like are there puppet open mics? Like how do you get in the puppet universe? Are you just puppetting in your house and go audition at Sesame Street?
Speaker 3: I mean, great question.
Speaker 1: Do you think all the like Bob's Baker's people We live near Bob's Baker are one of the most famous marionette theaters. It's not the same kind of huppeteering. But I wonder if you try to excel in all the fields and then you try to move your way up to well, it's Bob a guy, Like have you met Bob Bob Baker?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think he might be dead. A great question.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but we should ask our friend aDNA. She's worked on Sesame Street with Cookie Monster. I bet she could tell us what the trajectory of puppet he knows the underworld of Yeah, I think she knows all about it. She's also done stop motion, which famously I'm obsessed with.
Speaker 2: Well, because this woman's clearly a very you know, successful puppet woman, and so they're taking they're getting top of the line people for a tiny part.
Speaker 1: Yes, for sure, But I saw Avenue Q with my uncle. At the time of this when it came out, I was twenty five or something, and I was like, this is great. And then it became this like big Broadway show, so this girl was a big part.
Speaker 3: Of it anyway.
Speaker 1: So he this kid goes, Colin is saying, my friend says warbing Wweni's feels good violence and he goes. They go, who's your friend and he's like, it's my friend Jake and he just turns around, points to him and everything narks him out real quick, and I just I have a brother named Jake and a brother named Colin.
Speaker 3: So freezes Jake freezes. He's like bust it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now we've got Stabler one on one with Jake, and it's like, did you ask Colin if you could touch his wienie?
Speaker 3: And Jake is like very forthcoming.
Speaker 1: He's like yep, and then he all as someone touched his weeni, but he can't tell who it is. In walks Jake's brother and mom and the mom's like, what's going on here? And Stabler says, Jake says, someone's been abusing him, and the mom goes, oh no, not again. Close up on Jake close up on Stabler with his huge forehead looking very confused, and that's the credits. At the top of act one, the mom is talking to Huang and telling him about how it's not actually Jake who's been abused before, it's her older son, Teddy. While she was pregnant with Jake, she caught her ex husband touching Teddy. And her ex's name is Gregory Hensel, and the boys have her last name now because obviously, who wants to walk around with your pedophile father's last name? The guy this is wild. The guy pled guilty to sodomy, got ten years and was out in seven and the mom goes, it was a joke, and that is a joke, like raping your own son. Seven years that seems very light. Then the guy filed for visitation last year. Teddy obviously refused to see him, but Jake begged her to let him go see his dad, a dad he's never met before and like Jake is eight, and the mom refused until the judge awarded greg weekly supervised visits. Like I do not get how that would be possible, Like I feel like you molest one of your kids. You just don't get to ever see them ever again, Huang start serve your time. I mean, the thing is, it's like not shocked. None of this is shocking after the reason I know, I'm done. Yeah, it's just it feels a little bit different to me, like, oh, yeah, you rob a bank. I'm not gonna say you can never walk into a bank again. Like pedophilia is like a different kind of you know issue, Like I don't know who knows if there is a cure.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can't go to a bank again. I don't know if that would be that that.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're not allowed in. You're not allowed in. You can use the outdoor ATM but you're not allowed in. We can't let you in. No lollipop, You're not allowed to come in and do any checking. So Huang starts to argue that the visits are therapeutic, and it's like Huang read the room, dude, She's not to your reasoning here, and she's like therapeutic for who he ruined Teddy's life and now he's going to do the same to Jake. And Huang's like, but therapy, and the Mom's like, therapy did not help Teddy. Seven years ago she took him to a shrink and he wouldn't talk. So now in the next scene, Huang is walking up to the two brothers. Jake is watching his brother play a video game and he's like, oh my god, cool, you got it on this you scored this level, and the kid's like Teddy's like shut up, butt brain, And I recognize the kid playing Teddy. His name is Connor Poolo. He was Serena vander Woodson's younger brother from the og Gossip Girl. If you're a Gossip Girl fan like I was in my twenties watching a show about New York high schoolers. He's also in the season four episode called Juvenile where the two middle school kids assault and murder this woman and then he's the mastermind, but he blames it on the other kid. But then that kid gets tried as an adult because he's fourteen. Crazy episode. We'll probably do it at some point. Yeah, So this kid, he's got range. Yeah, and these are only three seasons apart. So they've got Connor Powlo on speed dial and they are booking him.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: That episode is fucked, Yeah, ending is sad Becky and Baker's in it and it.
Speaker 1: Is yes, and he plays the he plays the kind of like he reminds me of the same vibe as the kid that call McGlaughlin shoots, like kind of weird socio vibes, you know. So anyway, Huang little faces, big evil. Yeah. Yeah, and he's only twelve, So even though he did all the shit, like somehow the two year age difference, he gets a totally different punishment inside of trial.
Speaker 2: Because Judith Light went at him so hard, like Judith Light just wanted this big kid to suffer. No, it's the mom's fault because they offer a deal. Yeah, and they're like, take the deal. Eleano Douglas. Everyone's like, take the deal. You don't know about a jury. Just let him serve a few years. And she goes, no, no, no, everyone will see my boys innocent. And it's like he got twenty five years. Oh my god, it's so horrible.
Speaker 3: Anyway, he puked and he didn't help. He didn't help.
Speaker 2: You are in trouble, But I feel like five years could have worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, juvenile, this kid's not going to offend again.
Speaker 3: Like it's finny anyway, routine, I don't. Yeah, well this we're not doing. It's a different episode.
Speaker 1: We will cover this when we cover juvenile, which we will do at some point. So Huang takes Jake on a walk, and then Stabler shits with Teddy, who like won't look up from his video games. Stabler mentions the abuse and Teddy's like, it's no big deal, and he's like, well, if he hurt your little brother, it's a big deal. And he's like whatever, and Stabler's like, what are you playing? And he's like it's called a video game. You're not very smart, are you. So he's a victim, but he is also a little asshole as well, and he says he's never gonna see his ass white dad ever again, and if Jake wants to, it's his business, and he's like, I'm supposed to care if my brother gets molested. But clearly this kid is either a sociopath or is just so traumatized he refuses to show emotion. Huang is talking to Jake, who is a very cute, like he's supposed to be eight, but he seems younger. He's explaining how him and his dad watched a movie and then they played clue, and Huang says, oh, that's where you catch the bad guys, like I catch bad guys.
Speaker 3: Do you know any bad guys?
Speaker 1: And he's like, not in real life, and Mom and Finn are watching through the glass. Finn tells her they have to.
Speaker 3: Run a rape kit. She's so upset.
Speaker 1: She remembers going through all of that with Teddy and she thought this was all in the past. Elliott comes in and says, Teddy's a tough nut to crack, and the mom's like, I told you. He locks himself in his room playing games. He won't eed at the table with us. She starts to freak out uncontrollably. She basically starts to have like a panic attack and is like, this is a nightmare. I can't believe this is happening again, and wild it is, and Stabler has to like calm her down, and it's you know, So now Stabler goes to talk to the peto father and he's with the guy's parole officer and he explains that Gregory is in some kind of special pilot program where he offenders meet regularly with a parole officer, a psite counselor, and a polygraphic examiner. And it's like and he goes, who knows if it's working with these dirt bags.
Speaker 3: Also don't run.
Speaker 1: Polygraphs are not even acceptable as like in court, and you're just kind of teaching guys to beat it. I feel like when you give them every week, you're just teaching people how to like how it works and how you beat it. He also says he doesn't supervise the visits, So this full child rapist is allowed to see his young eight year old son without a law enforcement or parole person there at all.
Speaker 3: The guy's sister is the supervision.
Speaker 1: I like cannot like I literally wrote, I.
Speaker 3: Was like fuck that.
Speaker 1: Like if a judge made me take my kid to see to these like barely supervised visits, I would just go fugitive. I would just move to another state or like another country and be like we're out of here, not happening.
Speaker 2: But I know that is Yeah he is. That's privilege. He's crying about parent alienation. That's how he does.
Speaker 1: Yeh, he got a parent alienation lawyer exactly. He's like, it's not fair, she's turning him against me.
Speaker 2: So the sister I did was ruin my kid's brain and body and life forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm not allowed to see his little brother like in world. So the sister comes to the door in a little bit. I don't even know him, Like that's the other thing. Yeah, son, it's like he was born while you were in prison for you know, raping your other kid.
Speaker 3: You don't even know him. Why are you acting like you need him?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like I also can't imagine at seven years old, when you're a little boy and you have a fourteen year old brother who hates this guy, why you wouldn't just be like, yeah, I hate him too, because like I follow everything my older brother does. You know, Like, I don't know why you would insist on these visits. But maybe, I mean other kids are like, oh, my dad, my dad, my dad. Maybe you're like I want to see my dad.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But the pedophile sister comes to the door in a little vest uniform, and the po asks have you been letting him spend alone time with Jake? And she goes, no way, I know the rules. And then Gregory walks in and goes, oh, you brought back up. I don't remember robbing a bank, And it's like, no, you repeatedly sexually assaulted your own child. Robbing a bank would be a better crime, Like what are you talking about? And the actor here is Tim Hopper, and he was in an episode that we've covered called Taken, Remember about the set up rape the hotel with Jenna Lemia where it was like, oh, we're just trying to get all the money from the hotel.
Speaker 3: He's the cousin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the cousin who got the job as a bell hop to try to help with the whole scam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, God, little bill billy face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome back to the mix, Tim Hopper. And then Stabler takes Gregory into another room to talk to him and explains Jake says he was abused, and he goes, it wasn't me. I would never and it's like, dude, you really can't say I would never. Like he goes, I've changed and a judge thinks I've changed, And they do you think they'd let me see my son if I wasn't cured. And it's like, I truly don't know why they're letting you see your son. But he says he did his time, learned his lesson. It's like he goes, I'm a grown man who lives with my sister. I'm not allowed to be alone with my own kid. That's my life on my on parol. It's like, okay, sad sad song, but it's also like it was about learning a lesson that to me is like when you rob a bank, like learn your lesson. You can't steal money, not like you can't abuse children. Anyway, He says he can't get away with shit. He takes a lie detector every week, and his next appointment is on Monday, and Stabler goes, it just got rescheduled, So now we cuts Ahuong giving him a lie detector test. He's passing the questions, but Finn's like, he takes this once a week, he can probably beat the box, like I said. And then he asks him if he was alone with Jake and he says no, and that is a lie. So then Stabler goes to talk to his sister and goes, you lied, and I'm going to charge you with a coke as a co conspirator if you do not talk like you left him alone with Jake. She goes, listen, I had to take a shower before work. I left them alone for ten minutes. What could happen in ten minutes? It's like full sexual assault could happen in ten minutes. Jesus so they bring Henzel to lock up and he's proclaiming his innocence. They're like, Jake is eight, he's the same age Teddy was, and he goes, did Jake say I touched him? He didn't, Diddy, you have to believe me, I didn't do this, blah blah blah. Finn is like, we don't have to do a damn thing for you, and that's when they get a call from Warner. As usual, the story needs to move along. Warner needs us. So now we are at Melinda's house. She's got traces of saliva from around the area of Jake's genitals, and Finn and Stable are like, great, let's put this guy away.
Speaker 3: But hold up.
Speaker 1: Melinda shows them Jake's mitochondrial DNA, which is the DNA you get from your mother, and then his abusers might have cadrial DNA, and boom, they are in exact match. So it is a familiar relation, but it is done done Teddy. So Finn goes like fatherlike son, and that's the end of ack to one. So now at school they're going there to find Teddy or whatever. Finn says, the soccer coach said, Teddy showed up for morning practice, which I didn't really know that that was like a thing like before school practice was a thing for soccer, like I know, swimming for sure, and ice skating and things like that. But then he said a kid said something to him and he took off like a shot. And he's not at home because the mom says she hasn't seen him since morning. So they walk into the school and there are pictures of Teddy plastered everywhere. They kind of look like posed glamour shots. But Stabler goes, some of these are hardcore, So I got us. The ones that we don't look like, we don't see directly are probably look like child sex abuse materials. So they head to the cafeteria where they hear a commotion and it's a fight of Teddy and this other kid like punching each other and fighting and they're going.
Speaker 3: Kill him, break his, break this freak's nose.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah, and they break them apart, and he goes, Gordy did it he hung those pictures? And Gordy yells up, yours fairy boy, okay.
Speaker 2: And so so fucked up to do that, Like that kid should be expelled from Yeah, yeah, that is so fucked up, because even in Mean Girls, it's funny like Jawbreaker not as into this is like fuck you little kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Stabler has Teddy now in like an office room, and Teddy has been how I was able to print so many and some of them are giant sizes, like weel like getting the printing capabilities for all these photos. I think at the school newspaper, which we find out later. I think he was using this school printer. But Stabler has Teddy in an office right now, and I can't not call out that Teddy has very red lips. He literally looks like he just like pounded some Hawaiian punch.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to like be pervy, but he just says, lips look like he's wearing lipstick, Like they're very rare. So as really like kind of curly gelled short hair.
Speaker 3: He is Betty Boop from the neck up. Yeah, he does have that vine for sure. Somebody like joke eat him.
Speaker 1: So anyway, they're like, why would Gordy do that? Why would he want to humiliate you? And stable? And he doesn't want to say anything. Stabler's like, if you don't talk, I can't help, and he goes, why are you so interested in me? Those pictures turn you on? And Stable goes, yeah, the ones with your little brother made me sick, and he goes, uh. He goes the rape kit proves that you hurt your brother, and he goes, no, I didn't hurt Jake, and then Stabler goes, you molested him, and Teddy goes, so, my dad did stuff to me and it didn't mess me up, and it's like, wow, this is You're telling on yourself pretty hard here, Like you don't even first you said you didn't hurt him, and then you're like, wow, the little some mouth stuff's not bad. It's like terrible. And then he's like, your dad screwed up. Your head's so bad you don't even know what you've done. So now we cut to Finn talking to Gordy and this kid fucking sucks.
Speaker 3: He says, hanging pictures is not a crime. I know my rights.
Speaker 1: I'm in journalism and Finn goes, you're in puberty, and it's like, lol, I worked on my high school and college newspapers and I did not know my rights. Like if a cop had come to talk to me at those times, I would.
Speaker 3: Have been like what do you need to know?
Speaker 1: And the kids all freedom of speech is the cornerstone of democracy. And then he says he hung all those pictures because Teddy's a freak and everyone needs to know it. So it's like, what are you, Tucker Carlson, Like your work is not like this is not important work that you're doing. Oh so where is Tucker gone? Did he get a job? But he's just chilling? Wait, he's going for I think he's going through a lawsuit because he's trying to like start his own I believe Twitter show or x whatever we call that place now. But he's gotten like non competes with Fox that he has to like fight in court because he's not supposed to work for like the next two years. Ooh, I love fighting your little boss daddy. Yeah, but I also hope that I also hope that the contract is binding and Fox wins and that that man just can't talk for two years.
Speaker 3: That would be so great. I would love it. I mean he could talk like loot of him wasting his money in court is yeah too? Yeah pretty nice.
Speaker 1: So but he's so rich, I mean the contract they bought him out with was millions, so he's probably just using their own money to fight them. But anyway, this kid is fucking terrible. He's like when Fid goes, did Teddy touch you? He goes, I'm not an F word slur, like you know, and it's like you're a young Republican for sure, Gordy, Like you have to let the school know that this kid might be gay, Like that's what's behind all of this, Like that's your republic, that's your uh like journalistic integrity and action. Anyway, Finn thinks that Gordy made the pictures with photoshop, but he goes, no, I found them on the web. Everybody drink the name of the episode. And then he found a link that got posted on Teddy's my site profile and it led to this website called Teddy'streehouse dot com. So now we cut to Terru Akaarubin Morales aka Joel de la Fuente, friend of the pod, who actually has a big episode today, so you know, we're happy we've been able to talk to him, and he's giving the gang the whole breakdown. He calls Teddy's Treehouse a child porn superstore. He says there's picks webcam videos starring Teddy, and according to the billing, it's all Teddy.
Speaker 3: These guys pay.
Speaker 1: The membership is thirty dollars a month, and these guys pay Teddy and it all gets deposited into an online account and then he buys shit online with it. There's never any cash changing hands. And he would schedule live shows and the website has is basically a window into his bedroom and all these pedophiles pay, and it's over a thousand guys. So over one thousand guys paying thirty a month. Is that's thirty K a month that this kid is making on his videos.
Speaker 3: You can't track the subscribers. They're smart.
Speaker 1: They use offshore ISPs that don't respond to like US subpoenas, and so they're like, go get the kid to give up some names, Craigan says, But Sabler's like, let me start with Jake first. So Jake says talking, so Stable's not talking to Jake, and he says that the pictures are for Teddy's friends on the computer, and he said they made they took pictures and they made the pretending movie. Teddy's friends told them to do stuff and they did it, like acting in a movie and Teddy told him that his friends were buying tickets to see it, and that you know, if they buy tickets, he can use the money for presents for Teddy. And then Teddy said, if you get good at it, they'll buy you presents too. He says he's only done one of these videos, but Teddy said, we could do more, but so far they've only done one. Behind the glass of the one way Mirror, Morales's piss like ted He's like Teddy abused his brother on camera for those pervs like and Craigan goes shut the site down and then Stabler's like, oh, was it fun?
Speaker 3: And Jake's like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And you know that's when Teddy promised him that he would get his own presence too, And Finn says, Teddy's lawyer's here, so in an interview room. Teddy's lawyer is always fun to see him. Trevor lane In aka Peter Herman, mister Mrshkahargate and a love interests I guess on the New Just and just like that season, which I love. I haven't seen any of it yet. I'm gonna watch it all on my vacation next week. But yeah, wild I'm glad he's getting more time because he is truly one of the most handsome men I think working. Stabler busts in and says, Jake told me about the pretending movies, and Teddy goes so and Stabler goes, those men are using you, and Teddy goes, they pay me. It's my choice, and he goes like it was Jake's choice to be molested by you, and Teddy goes go to hell, and the lawyer is like tre even. Trevor's like, you got to calm down, bro, and he goes. Sabler goes, you think you're this little entrepreneur, but you've committed serious crimes. Trevor's like, would you consider a deal if Teddy names the subscribers, And Teddy's like standing up for these guys. He's like, no way, these guys pay me crazy loot. You think I'm gonna give that up? Like he has like no concept at all that he's committed crimes and like fully ruined his brother's life. And his lawyer is trying to say that Teddy is clearly the victim here, while Teddy is like, I am not a victim. I make money like I am Mark Cuban and so the men who pay for this are the problem is what Trevor says, and then Teddy goes. He calls it a problem. I call it a business. And they both look at Teddy like, fuck, this kid is super fucked. Let's step outside and talk about this.
Speaker 3: Let's go talk about him over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Stabler goes, maybe after an arraignment, he'll realize this isn't a joke, Like, does jail time not mean anything to you, Teddy? And Trevor is arguing that he can give up like hundreds of real perps. He just needs time to get Teddy to agree to give up the names. So they bring their convo around to where the mom is waiting and she's like, wait, what, you're resting him and they're like, I have to. He molested his little brother, and Trevor argues he's acting out his own abuse, and he's like, let me work on him. He begs them to let Teddy go home for the night. Jake will be safe. The mom is sending her to her mother's house. He'll shut down. If he goes to jail, we'll never get anything out of him ever again, and Stabler gives in and is like take him home.
Speaker 3: But I want him here.
Speaker 1: Nine am ready to name names, and the mom's like, thank you, Stabler, I love your forehead. And so now Elliott is in a very fast paced walk and talk with Novak and she's like, risky, move dude, hope Langon can get Teddy to talk, and Stabler's like, I'd rather bag the predators than the prey. So when they walk into Casey's office, sitting on the couch is Donna Geison. Then i'ven say your last name, so I'm kind of guessing here on the pronunciation. And she's a US attorney played by Kate mulgrew aka Read from Orange is the New Black, and Captain Janeway from Star Trek, which I would never know, but every time I was watching Orange, my husband would come in and go, it's Captain Janeway.
Speaker 3: So for all the Trekies, there you go.
Speaker 4: And she, you know, she has that like sort of like foxy foxy lockjaw voice that I love, and she's like, I'm just here to tell you that the US Attorney's office is taking custody of Tenny Whitnock.
Speaker 1: So apparently they're trying to argue that they've been building a case against this kid for a year, and then they're like and then you guys bust in and you know, Sabler's like, he's just a kid, and she goes Justice.
Speaker 3: Doesn't care if he's four or fourteen.
Speaker 1: And so I don't understand how if they've been working a case against this for a year, they let him be in a house with his eight year old brother, where like they could have inferred that he could be doing something or like that, you're just gonna let child pornography like run in and out of a house where an eight year old is living. So I blame the US attorneys for Jake's probably Jake's yeah issues. I mean that's what we just had that episode with the pediatrician where it was like, oh, the cops did their investigation and in that time, another kid was molested, and then they're trying to like sue the department.
Speaker 3: So anyway, she.
Speaker 1: Says, when we got word of the arrest, we voted out the indictment this afternoon.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: They've made it so that his indictment in New York court is out, and so that now they're going to try him as in a US like federal case. I don't know, And Casey goes, what if he flips on all his subscribers and she was like, no one made him build the website. And they're like, do you want one confused kid or a thousand pervs? And she tells them, you know, we have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to producers of kitty smut, and Casey's like, there's a big difference between this kid, Teddy, who is a victim himself, and a grown man who exploits kids. And Donna says, he exploited his little brother and it's like, bitch, you let it happen. You were building a case against him. Anyway, she says, we're not going to wait until the morning and starts to make a call and Stabler goes, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, I'll bring him in.
Speaker 3: So Stabler goes to the house.
Speaker 1: The mom says, I just talked to him and so as his lawyer, he will not reconsider. And so I guess his move is just like I'll take jail time. Like I don't understand he's going to go to jail for a chunk of his life because he doesn't want to give up the people that are paying him, but you can't use the money when you're in jail. So I guess I don't get the fourteen year old logic here, but that's probably part.
Speaker 3: Of the point. So he she knocks on Teddy's door and he goes, what do you want? But he won't open the.
Speaker 1: Door, and then Stabler he hears Stabler's there. He starts to break down the door and they see when they open the door that the window is open. Teddy he's on the fire escape, escaping and Stapler Stapler. I just called him Stapler. That's first. I never called him Stapler before Stabler. Wait, I'm obsessed with that, because then maybe we can make Stapler merch.
Speaker 2: We can't make Stabler merch. But no one owns a Stapler.
Speaker 1: We need something that's a good Benson fuck up, like just a stapler with a butt. Yeah, Stabler with a butt, a button, a gun. Let's go all of our artistic listeners, let's get the let's get the stapler butt going. So Stabler chases him to the street but loses him.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have an idea.
Speaker 2: It's like a stapler and then it's like the back of his butt, like sitting on it seductively, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 2: But it's sitting on the stapler. Yeah, like he's a diving board. He's on a diving board, or like he's one of those iron workers eating lunch in the sky, you know, like sitting on a thing, or but like.
Speaker 1: What if he is a stapler and like the top the stapler is the butt cheeks. So every time you staple something, it's like you're pushing down the butt cheeks, and the cheeks are kind of what's crunching the stapler into something.
Speaker 3: I like that the staple.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know. We're just workshopping this. You guys are listening to our genius as it happens.
Speaker 2: When I think of stapler, I only think of the red stapler from Office Space. Yeah, somebody took my stapler and that's not it's my stapler.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love that. Good at an impression. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, So top of AC three, the gang's all working hard, but Teddy is in the wind. There's train alerts and airport alerts, but they're like, he won't get out of the city. And you hear a voice, go he will if he has help. And it's Morales, and he's been monitoring the chats on Teddy's website message boards, and there's a guy named Sunshine Guy nine thousand who wrote Teddy's at the Nest, Help is on the way, and Craigan's like, hold up, I told you to shut this website down, but you let these pervs keep chatting online, and now Teddy is missing because you dis obeyed my order. Like, Craig is about to pop a top and the Feds are gonna want somebody's head. Give me one reason why I shouldn't hand them yours, and Morales is like, I can make this right. The post right before Sunshine Guy is a guy named Funfella thirteen. These names are so crazy. Funfella thirteen says we gotta help Teddy, and then Sunshine Guy says help is on the way, so it seems like they're working together. Sunshine Guy went dark after these posts, but Funfella has been all over the web chatting on other teen sites. We got to lure him out and sweat him for an idea on Sunshine Guy. They say, Craigan goes set it up. So Funfella just entered a chat room called soccer Rules with a z and I love that. What do you do when you go into a soccer rules chat room? You just go, oh, I love soccer. What's your favorite part? Oh? I love kicking the ball and scoring goals? And what kind of shin guards do you wear? I don't know, Like, where did these conversations go? I'll tell you where they go. Morales starts posting as a fifteen year old named Brad who is a sweeper on the JV team and he.
Speaker 3: Does not like girls. Ew yuck.
Speaker 1: Vun Fella falls for this in record speed, asks are you a virgin? I can show you how to do it so it won't hurt the guy wants to meet. It's like it takes ten seconds. This pedophile has been snared and we are meeting him. So now we're all in position before the meet. They let Morales come along. Why is there a CSU Why is there a Taru guy in the car with them?
Speaker 3: It's confusing, we'll find out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's in the car with Stabler and Sailor's like, dude, why did you disobey Kraigan and not shut down the website? And Morales is like I knew those pedophiles would just go somewhere else and he's like, so you just risk your career and he's like, I needed to get him. He explains that his sister is a single mom who works long hours. Her son, Freddie, is twelve. He goes online to make friends. A new buddy convinced him to go see a movie. Turned out the guy was forty three, took the Morales's nephew to a hotel and sexually assaulted him. So they never found the guy, and Morales feels bad because he's the one that gave Freddie the computer, So this has a personal connect for Morale. So then Morales spots fun and I think we talked to him about this role a little bit, So if you want to go back and listen to the episode where we talked to him, we now have all of our guest names in our episodes, so you should be able to find it. So Morales then spots Funfella walking down a busy city street. Funfella walks into this diner where Finn is waiting, and Finn goes, what's up, fun Fella, I'm a little older than fifteen, but maybe we could still be friends. That if I was a pedophile, that would be my worst nightmare a Finn coming up to me with like a little piffy joke about how I'm a pedophile, and then other cops stand up and grab him and he tells them his name is Ralph Zesner.
Speaker 3: And in the bag that he's got.
Speaker 1: With him, he's got wine coolers and condoms, because he said, oh, I just came in here to eat, and it's like with a bag of wine coolers and condoms, okay, sir. So in interrogation, Finn goes, what were you planning on getting frisky with the hamburglar? I don't really get that one, but let's put it in the Finn quote book. I mean, I know, were they in a McDonald's. I guess it's just confusing. It's like, if they were in a McDonald's, that would make sense to me, but I think they were just in a New York diner.
Speaker 3: So they're like, where's Teddy? And he goes, who's Teddy?
Speaker 1: And they're like, give it up, man, we have your membership to a site and your chat with a fifteen year old who was actually a cop.
Speaker 3: And he goes, I'm a horrible person. I'm trying to get better.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing a shrink and then this guy also admits that he's a teacher.
Speaker 3: Oh yikes.
Speaker 1: So they start grilling him about Sunshine Guy and helping Teddy run away from the Nest and his mother's house, and they're like, his mother's house isn't the nest. The Nest is an apartment in a building called Eagle Plaza. That's why it's called the Nests like Eagle. Teddy so good at double entendre. So apparently this is where Teddy films his shows and he was going there to hide out. So Finn and Sabler walk into this massive apartment and they see pizza boxes, soda can, high tech gear, a teen boys fantasy crash pad, they call it. So honestly, any apartment where you could just go hang out would be a teen fantasy crash pad.
Speaker 3: This place is massive.
Speaker 1: Stabler checks out the last show that's on the camera, and it's Teddy talking to camera, going, it might be a while before you guys see me. Things are getting pretty annoying here because I'm molested my brother and now the cops are after me, and he's gone.
Speaker 3: He's gone to stay.
Speaker 1: He says, I'm going to stay with some friends in Oregon, which is not how you say it, and it just really made me laugh that he was like Oregon, how a New York kid, I think would say it. Then a visitor enters the room and Teddy's like, oh hey, what's up. Like he doesn't seem scared, he knows the guy. But then we see this guy wearing like a black leather jacket just like chloroform Teddy and throw him over his shoulder and kidnap him. But you don't see his face obviously, and the guy had his own key. Teddy's too young to lease that place on his own, so let's check out that angle. So now they're at the Eagle Plaza building talking to the leasing guy or whatever, who says that it was leased by four months ago by a guy named Claude Henderson one two three four Happy Town Lane. He pays with an out of state check which is from Garfield, New Jersey. So now they roll up on Claude Henderson and surprise, it's an old man in a wheelchair who can barely speak, and his nurse explains that his identity has recently been stolen, so obviously this apartment's being paid for with this poor old man's money. So if you've been wondering where the fuck Olivia has been, remember that the last episode was I think the last episode of the episode before was lou Diamond Phillips slashed her neck and then killed a little boy in front of hundreds of people, And there was the whole thing where her and Stable were maybe too close because he stopped to help her and said a little boy. So she transferred to Computer crimes, the computer crimes unit, So Finn and Stabler roll up on her at a cubicle where she's tippy tap typing, and she looks shocked to see them. She's like, what are you doing here? And they're like, we need your help. Fade to commercial up on the last act. The top of the last act, Live is talking to them and is like, even if Morales wanted to, he couldn't track these pedophiles.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have the software.
Speaker 1: Baby, but Live does hot off the press from Homeland Security. She's telling them how terrorists have gone digital and that searches that used to take a day now take twenty minutes. And Stabler's like, wow, you're really into this and she's like, uh yeah, it's scams and fraud I haven't seen blood or tears in weeks.
Speaker 3: I could use a break. So is this baby time? What is this break? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because lou Diamond Phillips told us that she was pregnant in that scene, like you know, like and it was so I think that she They're putting her in something where she can be behind a desk, she doesn't have to run after any purpse or anything, and that's what's happening here with the computer crimes.
Speaker 3: She looks gorgeous, she's glowing.
Speaker 1: And so she explains to them that she's been following Sunshine Guy's activity and that the next time he chats with anyone, she can pinpoint exactly where he is. And uh ding dong, he just came online and uh oh his IP is at Mercy Hospital. Finn's like Jesus, first a teacher, now a doctor, what's next? The vice president? Okay, And so they scurry away and I'll pregnant. Marishka smiles at them, and then Elliott does this like high school boy thing where he kind of hangs out for like an extra second and he goes seea and he's just like like try to act like he doesn't care, but he obviously does and live is like by you know, and then I kind of I like it if you need to rewatch it. It's a funny little moment. And so the detectives bust into an exam room and fuck, it's a pediatrician. Like it couldn't just be an anesthesiologist, it's a full pediatrician. He says his name is doctor Lucas, and Finn is like, but I'll call you Sunshine guy. And to his patients he's like, this is a mistake. I'll be right back. But then to the cops he goes, Teddy's gone and you'll never find him, like truly like evil. This man, he like doesn't even try to hide it. He knows who Teddy is. And he's like, I helped hide him. And you guys are barking up the wrong tree in a bars and cement room?
Speaker 3: Is that what we're calling them? Bars and cement? Okay, so we're in a bars and cement room now.
Speaker 1: Elliot is talking to doctor Lucas saying, if you help us, we can avoid a life sentence for you, and he says, why would I help you? You're trying to put Teddy in jail, and he says, I was in the hospital all day, so I've got an alibi. I didn't take Teddy. So it's like, okay, who did you send in your place? And he gives this like smug pedophile smirk like I'll never tell.
Speaker 3: And then the guys like you don't care about Teddy?
Speaker 1: We do, and he goes, I'm not saying another word, and then it's like wild that he's just going to throw away his freedom and his entire career for this fourteen year old kid, Like that's like, sorry, I just like I am willing to go to jail. I just love this boy so much that I've like never seen in real life. Stabler goes to check in with Morales. He's at the end of his rope. He's searching everywhere on the internet, but these guys are so hard to find. No one is mentioning Teddy on the chat rooms or anything, and he's feeling really frustrated. Sabler's like, why don't you head home, man, Like this seems like it's taking a toll on you, And he's like, it's too late. Teddy's dead and it's my fault. And Elliott's gets a call and goes I'll be right there. So we're not really dealing with Morales's issues.
Speaker 3: It's live.
Speaker 1: Obviously she pulled Lucas's cell phone records calls and texts without a warrant, and she goes, I didn't think you'd want me to wait. So it's like, wow, computer crimes has made her a real rule breaker. So now we know that he was texting with a guy named good Friend twenty two who's another subscriber. But good Friend twenty two is on a burner. Lucas won't talk to them, but they're like, Live, maybe you can give it a shot. Maybe put on like a sort of oversized coat so we can't see your pregnancy and come give this guy give it a shot. So now at the precinct, Live says she wasn't planning on coming back, and Stabler goes, it's in your blood, and she goes, yeah, that's the problem. So when they walk into interrogation, they find Morales there beating the shit out of this guy, Doctor Lucas just like punching.
Speaker 3: Okay, computer door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like wow, somebody is stepping it up, and so he at first Stabler goes wait a sec and then Lives like, no, we have to stop this and he's like they So they break them up and then he's like, sorry, Olivia, are you going to turn me in? And she's like, get the hell out of here. If I don't turn you in, this guy will. So liv asks Lucas about Good Friend twenty two. He's still not talking. He says it's not a kidnapping. Teddy went into hiding voluntarily. So they show him the video where Teddy is like struggling being chloroformed, and they're like, does this look voluntary to you? And he goes, I just wanted to protect him. I love him. And this is what I learned on an episode of You're Wrong About which is that like a real majority of pedophiles actually do not think that they are hurting kids. They think that they are in a relationship that involves a lot of love. So it's not true, it's not reality, but like that's what's going through their heads. So this man is you know, loves Teddy, is in love with him, and he's saying he doesn't know the man in the video, and Live starts playing him and is like, you know, this guy doesn't love Teddy like you do think of that boy? You love with his perfect thin body, and now picture it bruised and broken and covered in blood.
Speaker 3: If he dies, it's on you.
Speaker 1: And the guy is like, truly like QAnon, He's like, this tape is fake. None of us would hurt Teddy, like he cannot imagine that of a thousand subscribers, there's one guy that would take it too far. Can't imagine that lives like. He's like, we all just love Teddy so much as impossible. Live go, I guess he's not gonna fall for it, and Stabler goes, I told you he was sharp. And then they just tell Lucas he can leave, and he's like, huh, And this is always a trap whenever they tell a perp that they're too smart for them or something. So obviously they let him go so they can follow his ass, which is exactly what they do. He goes straight to an internet cafe like a moron. Stabler is staking out out in the car. Live is back at her lab with her supercomputer, and Lucas is chatting with good friend online, who says Teddy will be quiet, we are safe, and then they trace the call to Washington, the call, the text, the chat, whatever, they trace it to Washington Heights, and then they finally pinpoint an actual address on West one hundred and eighty eighth Street, which I think is like where I lived when I was like two years old, but anyway or one. So they bust into this house and a man starts immediately running upstairs.
Speaker 3: Stabler sacks him. They fight.
Speaker 1: There's punching, like this guy punches Stabler punches this guy a few times, but then the guy gets a couple in on Stabler. Then the guy has a fire poker and Stabler he kind of smacks Stabler's gun out of his hand. They struggle, They land on a coffee table together. Finally Stabler just like fucking cock cold cocks him like three times and just knocks him out. And then Finn comes up and says, Teddy's not downstairs. They go into the bedroom that's like right next to the room where they've been like sparring, and Teddy is tied to a bed, gagged, crying, and so Stabler frees him and goes, you're going to be okay, and Teddy looks very understandably very upset, like his life has been pretty terrible up to this moment. So now we're at Saint Mark's Hospital. Teddy's talking to Stabler and he goes, You're right about those guys. They were all using me. I thought they were my friends. I thought they loved me, and they ruined my life and now I'm all alone. And Stabler's like, what about your family? They're the ones who love you, And he's like, they'll never forgive me, and he's like, no, they know it's not all your fault. And then the mom comes in and says, are you okay? And he says, I'm not okay, and he apologizes to his mom.
Speaker 3: They hug their tears.
Speaker 1: Hopefully this is going to be a you know, growing moment for the family and they can all get the therapy that they need and you know, at least be communicating with each other. Like teen's shut down all the time, but if this teen needs to be talking to somebody. So Stabler walks out, Donna aka Red approaches and he's like, you got some nerve? What are you here to like arrest him like in his hospital bed, and she goes, I'm in a grant Teddy immunity in exchange for giving up the names of the pedophiles.
Speaker 3: No jail.
Speaker 1: He'll go to a residential treatment facility and he'll get the help that he needs. So we got Captain Jane Way to be chill about a fourteen year old victim. So now at the precinct, Live comes out of Kragan's office and he goes, it was a tough decision, Olivia, but you made the right call. And Stabler's like, so you did it. She goes, I didn't have a choice, and he's like whatever. Morales is a good guy, and liv goes, you think I rated him out and he goes, no, no, I know that's not your style. And she goes, thanks, and then he goes, so what are you doing here? And she goes, I work here, and then she sits down at her desk. Stabler fights the urge to jump for joy. These two have like partner desks facing each other, and so the scene ends with just them going through papers together with just like lamplight on them. And that's Dick Wolf Baby Benson and Stabler back together.
Speaker 3: Kara. I mean, that was an amazing recap. Thank you so much. You know what also is amazing. We are going on tour.
Speaker 1: I know we talked about it a little bit on the top, but some of you I think are fast forwarding and so here we are in your brains. Don't even touch that plus thirty button, you little bitch. I'm telling you about our tour. We are so excited you guys. We love touring live. We can only go to cities if people come out. So we sold out DC our first show. We added a three thirty show.
Speaker 3: Please come to that.
Speaker 1: It would be so sad for our first show to have like ten people.
Speaker 3: And then we do a soldout.
Speaker 1: Show Atlanta City Winery, gorgeous venue. We're coming to you, Charlotte, the Comedy Zone, Raleigh, the Raleigh Improv Out, and Carrie. We're so excited. My brother's going to be at that show. If you guys want to come and meet a clank, come on out. Then in October we're doing Buffalo, have in Burlington, Cleveland, Boston, guys. We're doing a venue in Boston called the Wilbur. We basically are really shooting our shot here with the Wilburg.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of seats. We really want us, We really want people to come.
Speaker 1: So if you know anyone in Boston who loves SVU, if you know anyone in Boston who's just like laughing, Please send them our way.
Speaker 3: Come buy a ticket and see us in Boston, and.
Speaker 1: Then there's a ton more cities for the rest of Toronto, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and then a bunch of Midwest dates out in November that we can plug more later. But go to Thats messed up live dot com to find out when where get tickets. And we appreciate you supporting us. Now we'll be right back with a true crime. Okay, So this is such a wild's case. So in two thousand and five, I've a New York Times business journalist, Kurt Eichenwald.
Speaker 3: That's the way we're gonna call him. That is his name.
Speaker 1: I just don't know if iken Wald's the way you say it, but it must be.
Speaker 3: It is. You know about this guy, No, but I know you're saying this stuff.
Speaker 1: You know he sounds really familiar. I bet I have read something of his. So he did an interview and wrote a front page story in the New York Times about a teenager named Justin Barry who was a teenage pornography star.
Speaker 3: And that's quoted a New York magazine.
Speaker 1: I obviously wouldn't call a thirteen year old a child pornography star, but you know, it was a different time. So Ike and Wild had an interest in shedding light into the world's dark places. That's what New York Magazine said about him.
Speaker 2: But he just really enjoyed uncovering wrongdoing and bringing criminals to account. But when he started this story, he had no idea what he was taking on. So child exploitation was the last thing he was gonna do. He's a business reporter, that is what he's known for, and he was looking for his project. He wanted something international, so he typed into Google, Interpol fraud Alert and Investigations, and that led him to a website called Mexicofriends dot com. And he thought that was just going to be like, you know, cross the border money laundering, but it was actually an amateur porn operation starring Justin Barry, who at this time was eighteen years old. And this journalist, Eichenwald was very maloney. He had two young sons and him and his wife just couldn't stop thinking about his own children, and he's like, we have to fucking do something. So this is what started a six month investigation, and it was.
Speaker 3: Dark as fuck.
Speaker 2: So he's quoted a New York magazine saying this is an organized crime business. These are people. We're not talking about people with an affinity for scotch. They spend their days talking and living and breathing the sexual issues of children.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, the wild thing about pedophiles is you know, like a lot of people are just horned up, but like they can't stop thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like an obsession. It's truly twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Like I am is it because it's so secret that it has to be all encompassing, the secrecy finding friends, like you have to manipulate. Like, I just wonder why they can't just be pedophiles a few times hours a day.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that's part of it. It's like an affair.
Speaker 1: How an affair is addictive because of the secrecy or whatever. You know, like you think about it all the time because you're like breaking rules and you're doing something wrong and you're constantly worried about being caught. But also you are you know, I think you are also obsessed with You never hear about a pedophile that has like five to ten child sex abuse images on their computer. It's always like hundreds and hundreds and hunt you know what I mean, Like it seems like it's like an addiction.
Speaker 2: Let us know if you know any casual pedophiles, just weekend guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like so weird.
Speaker 2: It's just like it becomes everything. So this article came out and it did result in congressional hearings, arrests, and you know, he went on Oprah. There was like a lot going on and Justin Barry, he ran a very lucrative business from his room. So he lived with his mother and stepfather and younger sister in Bakersfield, California, which is ninety miles north of LA And he was a high tech wizard and he had his own registered small website development business, so that was kind of his cover. But also he knew how to build websites, so his mom and everyone they just thought he was like, up, they're building websites and just like a tech dork.
Speaker 3: No one really like knew what was going on up there. It was his secret.
Speaker 2: And he was not popular if you can imagine, not an in crowd type guy. And he went to the internet for friends. That's he craved friends. And he went online to find some friends and he heard that you can get a free webcam if you sign up for Earthlink, which was an internet service provider. So he signed up, which to me, it's like did you sign up for your own internet? Like did you have to talk to your parents to switch?
Speaker 3: Like what was it?
Speaker 1: So he set up his webcam and thought he would meet teens his age, maybe some girls connects with his peer group, but instead he was hounded by grown es men and as soon as he hooked it up, like, that's what's messed up. So he loaded the software with his picture and that's automatically posted on spot life dot com as an Internet directory of webcam users, along with his contact information, and it seems automatic and findable, so like what yeah, but then I wrote, like Instagram you can just find but it is wild like that there's just a directory immediately if you get a webcam that people know your contact?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what's what's your contact is? Is it email and name? Probably? I don't know if it's like phone number or anything like.
Speaker 1: More, but either way, that's it seems that seems it's crazy. But it's like when you sign up for a website, it's like I forgot, like I had to go in and like take my home address off my website, like because you can't. There's a directory of websites where you can find out who owns every website. Like my website is now registered to my escorp by name with no address, but originally it was like my name and my address in New York of my websites and you have to like take that all down. Or it's because it's like the Go Daddy does nothing to protect your privacy. Wait, this is like wild and front I didn't know that. Yeah, if you have a website, like just make sure to check your like I can. Or I think that's what it's called directory setting that shows like who owns the website because it could have some of your personal information.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: I just thought this was so wild. But it's happening today. Yeah, I hope go Daddy is, but it's us.
Speaker 3: It's also not a.
Speaker 1: Photo like that to me is like, oh, a hot cute fifteen year old. Nottsy to call a fifteen year old hot, but you know what I'm saying, Like a picture of a cute fifteen year old goes up and there's predators out there, that's what they're looking for. It's like the photo part of it. It makes it a little bit more scary too. And are these pedophiles discerning or it's like there's a fifteen year old, let's go, or it's like no, not this one, like you know, like how discerning if a kid is down?
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm sure they have preferences. I don't know.
Speaker 2: So anyways, so so the predators came very quickly. Okay, they saw his little face, they had his info, and he went in. So they chatted him up, gave him tons of compliments, offered him gifts and justin Barry just sought his friendship.
Speaker 3: He is a child.
Speaker 2: So yeah, these adults go on like regular sites, legitimate sites, and then groom the children and then eventually ask for you know, sexual abuse images. So these men, predators, pedophiles taught him now to make an Amazon wish list and started sending him gifts.
Speaker 3: And then one afternoon in the year two thousand, in the year two thousand, as.
Speaker 2: Was that a pet yeah, conan, Yeah, So one of his audience members offered him fifty dollars instantly via PayPal dot com to sit bear chested in front of the webcam for three minutes, and Barry divulged to the reporter that he figured, like, listen, it's kind of just like taking your shirt off at the pool.
Speaker 3: I do that for free. What's the difference?
Speaker 1: And then he took off his shirt T shirt and the men direct quote used compliments. We don't need to use the verb ooze in this article at all, iich and wild come on, man, and we can just get compliments without oozing uses a bad word.
Speaker 3: Oose is a bad word. I just did a podcast that at.
Speaker 1: The end they do the actors Studio questionnaire that Lipton always did a yeah yeah, and it said what's your least favorite word?
Speaker 3: And I should have said ooz? What did you say? I said facetious? Oh you hate facetious? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's people that are kind of dumb pretend that they're smart because they know that one word.
Speaker 3: I think it's a snobby.
Speaker 1: Like big war like it doesn't mean does it mean anything different from sarcastic?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I thought it meant like, I don't know, look it up. Like I thought it meant like you're being a little asshole. You're being facetious. You're being a little asshole.
Speaker 1: Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor.
Speaker 3: Flippant.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought I'm being facetious meant like I'm being sarcastic, like I'm kidding, but it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm being I'm being I'm joking. Basically, you could just say I'm kidding, but you're saying I'm being facetious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you're being to me.
Speaker 2: It's like a false it's like a fake big word where well, I guess we didn't really know what it meant either, but I just feel like it's used by people that are trying to prove something that they really don't have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should go on that podcast so I can talk about how mine is. Mama, Maggie, mama. If your kids say it, they say it all the time. I don't like when an adult calls me mama. I don't want to hear it ever.
Speaker 3: Like hey mama, hey mama.
Speaker 2: Oh that's why you hate Heather Thompson. That's a real housewife for those.
Speaker 1: Her big dinah her like big super smile. All right, I'm doing that on camera, but you can't see me.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we were all yeah oozes for slime only. So outside of the money and the compliments, the men also filled an emotional void in his life, and so he was a prime target for these criminals. He had a bad relationship with his dad after his parents got divorced. There was an instance of abuse that was reported. The dad slammed Justin's head into a wall and it acquired seven staples in his scalp. But this fucker was found not guilty in court, acquitted. Okay, Jesus, Justin was longing for paternal affection, said family members to the New York Times.
Speaker 3: So that was the start to this secret life.
Speaker 2: So you know, he would sell his images of his body for the next five years. And like I said, his mother Karen Page, was just like I didn't think anything was out of the ordinary, nothing seemed weird. He was just a boy with a talent with computers and he liked being online. And he explained that all of his expensive equipment from the success of it was from his web development business, you know. And his grades stayed the same, even though he had like increased absences because he's just like webcamming all the time. But during the day he was playing soccer, he was on the honor roll, and at night he was performing in front of a webcam undressing, showering, masturbating, and having sex for an audience of more than fifteen hundred people who paid him over the years hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow, and he wasn't the only one.
Speaker 2: So investigation found sites like this where teens are operating two pedophiles in their rooms while their parents chill in the next room. Yeah, maybe the family computer in the living room wasn't the worst thing.
Speaker 3: It's very I think our age.
Speaker 2: But like, yeah, there was just like one computer in the kitchen and that's that. Yeah that you know, no TVs in your room, no computers in your room, do your home in the kitchen? Like that was a good time to be alive. And since except yeah you I think you got caught because you didn't, I'm sure comedy ensued all the family and the tabs the history okay, but anyways, and since this was like a new thing, a new endeavor of the Internet, it didn't get attention of law enforcement or youth protection agencies.
Speaker 3: Aaront E Allen, chief.
Speaker 2: Executive of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at the time, said, this is a variation on a theme that we haven't seen.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Like they knew the predators would be using webcams, but it didn't occur to them that the teens would be doing their own shows with the webcams. And for the teens, like you're a teen, the idea of easy money fasts.
Speaker 3: What is better than that?
Speaker 2: Like I taught swim lessons and got fourteen an hour and that was huge.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I just watched this movie called Jawline. Have you ever heard of it? It's like a documentary and it's on Hulu, and it's about this kid who became like sort of an influencer or whatever in the camming WARLD like but not in camming for sexual like just kids camming with each other. So this kid is basically like lives in Bumblefuck, Tennessee, and he's sixteen years old and he just kind of like gets shirtless on this website called you Now. But it's for girls and you can like invite people in the way you can on Instagram, Like you know, if you're doing a live you can just invite someone to like be on with you, Like he can invite and the girls all flip out when he invites them. In but he's like a very small time celebrity, like on this website called you Now, but all these kids are using it. So he'll be like, I'll be at the mall this weekend, and like twenty girls will show up to like see him at the mall or whatever, and they send him like money and tip jars and stuff like that. So it's like I didn't know all that shit was going on in like a not sexual way. I mean it's kind of sexual, but their teens. It's like there's no actual nudity or anything. It's just girls that have crushes on these like boys with like hot chisel jaw lines, which is why the movie's called jawline. Anyway, Just like I had no idea that camming world was so big.
Speaker 3: I feel like I just missed it.
Speaker 1: But like this is twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen that this kid's get like doing all this.
Speaker 3: But I'm sure there's pedophiles there pretending to be young girls.
Speaker 1: I'm sure too, But the thing is is like they're all on cam so if a pedophile was to be on there, I think they would get kicked off. Like they're all like using the visual of it. So it was a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was just like an interesting piece of the social media online space that I really just knew jack shit about because I assumed webcamming was mostly just.
Speaker 2: You know, I was a parent and my kid asked me for money to give to some teen boy. I would say, I would hit that kids.
Speaker 3: I know. It's like where.
Speaker 1: They'll take you to the mall, bitch, I'll take like digital hearts and gifts and like, oh, you know, like.
Speaker 3: Does this kid even sing? No, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you gotta watch this documentary. It's fucking crazy. They so a manager offers to manage him, and they go on tour. These kids go on tour, these kids that are big on these sites, and when they go out, they just go to these big things where it's a million screaming girls and they just come out on stage and jump around. They're like, all right, girls, are you ready for Jordan? And he just comes out and'll be like, what's up. And sometimes the kid can do a flip or something, but they don't sing. They will sometimes do a little choreographed dance, but it's like they're just influencers and it actually part of it is a house of kids. That live in La together with this manager who ma them. It's crazy. But the manager's twenty one year old gay kid, and so you know, he's not really like, he's just in it for like to exploit them for the money.
Speaker 3: It's just wild.
Speaker 2: So but when the Times found Justin, he was eighteen years old, and they persuaded him to abandon his business and to help protect other children at risk. They helped him contact the Justice Department and then arrests and indictments of adults he identified as pornography producers and traffickers began. He revealed that a group of more than fifteen hundred men paid for his online images, and so the Justice Department also focused on the businesses, like I said, the credit card processors, and basically anybody that created, distributed, marketed, possessed or paid to view such content was open to criminal charges. So with all this they also found out so these men, all these pedophiles, they work together and they meet in other little secret corners of the Internet, and they discussed strategy online and sharing advice on how to trap their young victims. So it's like how to persuade them to go a little bit further each time, and Justin talks about how each request was slightly above the last, so each new step never struck him as that different or extreme. The Times was able to get info on the fifteen hundred people who paid Justin and analyzed the background of three hundred of them nationwide, and a majority of the sample consisted of doctors, lawyers, businessmen, teachers and most like just tons of people who work with children on a daily basis. Yeah, so yeah, the Internet brings all these pedophiles together. So like back in the day before the internet, they were just like freaks in a corner of their house and so here they're able to swarm together. But same with all these internet teens. So the teens also had a community and they called themselves the camhres and.
Speaker 3: They are a community.
Speaker 2: They were a community of business owning teens, and so they were able to bond over these pervs and the fucked up shit that was asked of them and how scared was So they would also be like God, these fucking pedophiles, and the pedophiles would be like, how do we get these kids? So it's a lot of communities online and so the abuse came into the physical world. So Justin once was molested by one of his subscribers twice, so once he was invited he invited him to attend a computer camp and molested him in the other time he enticed Justin to Michigan to have sex with a girl that he would arrange, and both times the man molested him. He was also once given thousands of dollars to meet Gilo Tuno, a former Intel employee, to visit him in Vegas at a hotel, and he was molested by him many times, and one of the assaults was videotaped, and Justin later handed that.
Speaker 3: Tape over to the FBI.
Speaker 2: After that, he was pissed and emboldened and started to push like the purv army around and he started charging more and waiting longer to respond, and he realized, like, oh, these people have no fucking life outside of being pedophiles. They are pedophiles twenty four of him and this Tuno guy also rented an apartment for Justin so like he just thought it was getting too much to be like it with in the house with his parents, like what if they find out?
Speaker 3: So he got an apartment that.
Speaker 2: Was just like very close down like to his parents' house. The dude signed a lease and helped him pay for it, and he just started doing shows from that apartment, and he would tell his mom like, oh, I have plans with friends, and then he would go to that apartment and cam damn. By the time this article came out, this gel Oh guy, though, was already serving eight years for an unrelated sexual abuse charge, so I'm sure he just had to stay in jail for longer.
Speaker 3: And now a part.
Speaker 2: That's also ripped like SB ripped from the headlines that I can't believe is real that you know that's in all these teen movies. But in two thousand and three, a former classmate found some of the pornographic photos of him and made copies and handed them out around town and to students at his school. Justin was obviously made fun of him, beaten, and he begged his mom like, please let me homeschool, Please let me homeschool, and she said yes, now, if things can't get anywhorse. So then he ran away to Mexico with his fucked up father. So the father like weaseled his way back into Justin's life and they went away to Mexico, and in Mexico, Justin confessed his dad everything he had been doing. Did the dad help him and get out of the life. Absolutely not. He became a collaborator and created a news site where he would have live sex with sex workers in Mexico, and he became the internet's most sought after underage star. So Jesus, that's a sixth sentence. He then developed a weed in cocaine habit and then his dad started splitting the money with him, and because he would go get the sex workers, and then another pedophile weaseled his way into visiting him molesting Justin.
Speaker 3: His name is Greg Mitchell.
Speaker 2: He's a thirty six year old fast food employee and he was arrested and charged with six child pornography charges stemming from this case. So at this point Justin did want out of this life. He just kept getting molested. His dad is like his pimp, Like he just wanted out of the life, but was brought back into it by mister Mitchell, the molester. Because this Mitchell guy also became a partner and was helping recruit other miners for content. So that was like the tipping point. He turned eighteen and he is a legal adult now, so you know that changes charges. That changes the criminality of everything that he's doing. And one day he started communicating with someone he thought was in law enforcement, and he's like, you know what, I'm going to give into this. I want to go to jail. I need to go to jail. I need to get out of this life. But it wasn't a law enforcement officer. It was the reporter from the New York Times, iken Wild. Great timing, great timing dude. So they met at lax. He finally convinced him to come to lax by paying him. We'll get into the in depths of all this, but paying him two thousand dollars. He was like, just come, you know, I'm gonna come a let. Like, come a let, I'm gonna come to lax Almolest two for two thousand dollars. And so Justin flew and then iken Wild's like, listen, I'm not a pedophile. And Ikenwild had a books published, so he's like, listen, look these are books I've written. Here's my photo the jacket, like, I'm not a pervert or a cop. I'm here to help you. Barry was high as fuck. He was sick, and he was six to one and one hundred and nine pounds, like he was not doing well. And so they talked over a few days and legit, He's like, I want to stop. So he finally abandoned his life of porn and drugs and it knocked sense into him and he was like, fuck, this is a mess. I speak to thousands of pedophiles on a daily basis, like this is not a good life. He got rid of his phone, fled to a part of the country nobody would find him, and he sobered up, and then within a week he was giving out names and locations of children who were actively molested or being exploited by adults. And he called iken Wild around nine pm one day and said, so many kids are in danger and somebody has to do something, and ken Wild and that moment was like, okay, so this is a news story. We'll get into all that in a moment. So then Justin contacted Stephen M. Ryan, who's the former federal prosecutor and partner at a private law firm in Washington, and he came on board with all this, And so mister Ryan contacted Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section of the Justice Department and told them he had a client that had evidence that could put away a lot of pedophiles, And so he sat down with the FBI and began to spill and children he believed were in the hands of predators, marketers, credit card processor like you know. He told everyone that anyone that supported the webcam child abuse images, evidence from his hard hard drives and financial information and conversation transcripts with his members, like all records were turned over for.
Speaker 3: Immunity like that.
Speaker 1: He did want immunity, but they didn't know if they could give him immunity.
Speaker 3: So the FBI and the.
Speaker 2: Department and just like had to debate like did you do harm though like to other people and by hosting the website, like are you a criminal? So they ended up offering himmunity after fifty days. So they conferred for fifty days and he officially became a federal witness. They arrested Mitchell and he got one hundred and fifty years in federal prison. They rated an LA computer server. Tim Richards was a marketer. He was arrested. Hundreds of thousands of computer files were seized all across the country and then so the articles about to come out. Right before the article went out, it went through forty four.
Speaker 3: Drafts by eleven editors.
Speaker 2: And also though like the editors were not happy, but Iken Wilds was like flipping out and he wanted the article out, and so he was he like refused to let them edit it anymore, and he's like, it needs to publish today. So it came out now, Like I said, we're going.
Speaker 3: To get to this. So we're here.
Speaker 2: You might be like questioning maybe the ethics of the reporting or what went down.
Speaker 3: You're probably not. But there was a lot of issues.
Speaker 2: But the New York Times is like, listen, we encouraged youths to shut down their sites, speak to their parents and seek counseling. So like we did nothing but like have these victims in mind. But when New York Magazine asked him, like how as a journalist he could justify the charade that he did, he explodes in quotes, He explodes in angry self defense. Do you think I wanted to be the first journalist to go to jail for allowing a child to continue being raped because I didn't want to violate some Star Trekian non intervention rule that isn't written down anywhere. But like, okay, so the two thousand dollars though, so you know, I can It all came to light in two thousand and seven that Iken Wild gave mister Barry two thousand dollars, but he said that that money was to like lure him to lax and that he was not acting as a journalist, and before he wrote the article, he made Justin give him back the two thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: So that's the claim.
Speaker 2: So they're like, wait, what the fuck we just found that you paid you know, journalists can't pay that. Yeah, okay, yes, So it was just shady that the two thousand dollars was there, and he said that after like helping him escape that he told Justin, you need to pay me back this two thousand dollars and then we need to write this story.
Speaker 1: And Justin got a loan from his grandmother to do that. So he's saying all above board.
Speaker 2: And also and so there are a lot of opinions on this journalist, but at the end of the he did win a payn Award for Ethics and journalism because of this article, So I don't know, it's it's why he wanted ethics award.
Speaker 3: But also everyone is like, are you ethical? We hate you.
Speaker 2: His reporting methods were under intense scrutiny by other journalists, by pro sex activists, which I don't know why they would, like these people are under age.
Speaker 3: What is a pro sex activist?
Speaker 2: And by people whom his investigations helped put in jail. He in two thousand and seven was like, fuck, my career is over, and he started blaming people, and like you know, he was like, I am the people I put in jail, the pedophile. Blame, blame, blame, but like also he did have a great career and nothing like he had one blip where people were like questioning him because this is intense, but like he's a cry baby. He worked at the New York Times from nineteen eighty five to two thousand and six. He also wrote the book The Informant and produced the movie that was based on the book with Matt Damon.
Speaker 3: He's written five books total.
Speaker 2: And he also then did work as a senior writer at Newsweek and a contributing editor for Vanity Fair. And he does say that the boy in the picture he saw on that website on accident stopped being a potential story. Then it became a rescue mission and in hindsight, he does think he should have email held the cyber tip hotline, but instead he got a minister to help and like to get him out and posed as a pervy fan and make contact. But he does think in hindsight he should have reached out to the departments. But in the future of that, it's like Justin had a lot of issues with all these investigators because he just thought it'd be fast. He's like, I know all these kids that need help, let's go, let's go. And then he has all these interviews where he's just like, what the fuck they're taking forever, Like he went on Doctor Phil and was like what the fuck.
Speaker 3: Like we need to help these people.
Speaker 1: And I guess all the government, like the FBI, the Justice Department, they were all just like too slow for you know, Justin kind of like Kate Mulgro's character where it's like what are you waiting for? Yeah, like journalists have been giving like slipping fifty bucks, I'm sure for info for a long time and like, yes, this is a bigger amount, and it like looks sketchy, but I don't really think he did anything. I think it's worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, ethics or not it did lead to a lot of good this article, and he in New York Magazine he's quoted saying it's the most noble thing I've ever done. Okay, Justin stood up for him and said he's a wonderful guy and seeing him get criticized makes me sick to my stomach. So that was quoted. So sadly. Justin Barry disappeared in Mexico on August twenty first, twenty eighteen, when he was thirty two years old, and he has thought to be dead.
Speaker 3: But maybe he just.
Speaker 1: Maybe he just maybe he got some like face surgery and just started his fucking life over. Yeah, you know, because it's like you can't escape the internet once you're fucking all over the internet. You know, maybe he is alive and he just like started a new life. But that's just me being I am optimistic, I hope. So wow, I can't believe how much of that is like right from the episode too, Like the episode pulled so much from that, that's so crazy. Well, you know, Neil Baar read that article in The Times. He was ready to yeah go yeah, because you said this all came out in five oh six, and this episode was out in the middle of six. So yeah, well, thank you so much for so thank you so much for that.
Speaker 2: Well, so, as you know, we don't have a guest. We are in a strike. But you know, Karen, I can talk, so we'll be chatting. So listen to our nice little jingle and we'll be back with our closing statements arguments.
Speaker 3: Objection, you're out of order.
Speaker 2: Yes we've had no guests, but yes we are gonna keep on talking. So what did we think about web? Jesus Christ, don't give your child a computer? No text?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it's there should be one family computer in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Get them June bugs, get them flip phones. Nokia's like, we have to go backwards. This life is not good. Like do you not feel your brain is rotted? Take the phones out of your children's hands, take the iPads out, and one computer in the house, and let's revolutionize things. This is not the internet is not safe for children. Sorry, these people are hunting your children on the Internet. I sound like I'm in quanon and I apologize. No, I sound like I hate. It's really crazy.
Speaker 1: No like the the yeah, no, it's really dangerous.
Speaker 2: The computer programmer, you better watch what the fuck he's doing? Yeah, like if he's even better than you at the computer, what makes you like, I don't know, it's just it's really sad.
Speaker 3: It's so sad, and even.
Speaker 2: With the character where it's like this fake empowerment in a way where they feel empowered like they have control, but they are being you know, when you're older by decades, you're gonna be able to manipulate a child.
Speaker 3: And it is just horrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, And I god, I hope Justin Barry is still alive, but it doesn't look good.
Speaker 2: But yeah, bad parents like to be a parent. And then it's kind of Chris Jenner when you think about it. I mean, Chris Jenner made that sex tape. She's she has truly pimped out.
Speaker 3: Her kids, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris Jenner is the model of like a criminal parent, except it worked for her. Yeah, I mean, this was a situation where it didn't work out and they weren't one hundred millionaires billionaires altogether.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's like it's like that up that dock that I brought up jawline. It's like these this kid is living in rural Tennessee, sharing a bed with his brother going to the kitchen, there's nothing to eat, so obviously, like if he goes online and it's starting to get objectified or take your shirt off for a tip or whatever, that can obviously be a slippery slope. But it's like people are just trying to Like these people are just trying to like rise above their station, and their parents are kind of just like, yeah, whatever you need to do to get the hell out of here or get us some money, and yeah, parents exploiting is wow, And I hope this is just something on the internet that's being overly like sexual sensationalized.
Speaker 3: Wow, so many words could work.
Speaker 2: But I saw like their regular kids just doing cameos and their parents make them do cameos, and it's them wishing like grown men happy birthdays and stuff, and it's just like a fourteen year old twelve year old, Oh my gods for creepy people.
Speaker 1: And I just hope it's not I do have cameo if you'd like a not perverted cameo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're on a sometime perverted or perverted.
Speaker 1: If she feels like doing that, she's of age, she can decide, I can decide. I do remember you doing your I remember you doing your pandemic cameos and your Taco Bell bikini top halving a time.
Speaker 2: People will still do it, and I'm like, no, no, I'm not on financial crisis, so it's different.
Speaker 3: I used to do a joke about that.
Speaker 1: I should try to bring that back back.
Speaker 2: Gotta write new jokes. Honestly, pay attention to what your kids are doing on the internet. Spywear air tag them. I'm all for it.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't think they.
Speaker 1: Need don't read their journal, but I know it's I'm not even making sense.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying it's really hard.
Speaker 1: Because everything that we think we know, like we think we're Internet savvy, and like, honestly, I do not.
Speaker 3: Think I'm Internet savvy.
Speaker 1: Well, like, well we think we know like Instagram, TikTok whatever. There's all these apps we've never heard of. Kids can figure out how to hide browsers in what looks like a calculator.
Speaker 3: Like there's someone.
Speaker 2: Recently, while I was trying to find someone at the grove, they said, drop me your pin and I said, I don't know how to do that. And then they're younger than me and they wrote, lol, and I don't know how to do it.
Speaker 3: And then I was trying to sell Merchant.
Speaker 2: Sacramento and oh, just got my fucking refund for the Madonna concert. I knew she was going to do it. I knew she was going to do that. But it's kind of nice to get all that money back. It was not cheap a wind fall. It feels like a windfall. But I I don't believe that she was sick. I think she didn't want to compete with Taylor and Beyonce, and I think that's why she canceled it.
Speaker 3: That's my I'm sorry to be really yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think she liked the idea of not being like the biggest h just tour and was like, oh, I'm not ready, I'm out of here. Does the bacterial infection last months? I mean, god forbid. I mean I hope she's not sick. I hope she's fair yeah, faking it well. She was just partying in Lisbon for her birthday. I think she's fine now, but I don't know if she's touring ready.
Speaker 3: But who knows. But that that's a very good point.
Speaker 1: I mean, even Gaga has had tours where she's had trouble setting selling tickets, so it's like you can't guarantee you know.
Speaker 2: Oh, but this is gonna I was gonna say, so I have my Venmo on my phone up so people can scan the code.
Speaker 3: But the screen kept going dark.
Speaker 2: And then someone is like, I work at Apple and you can definitely switch it in the settings, And I was like, what, Like, I don't know these kids are out there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I switched my settings before. If I'm like trying to use my phone for set to like remember jokes or whatever all like, have it so it doesn't go dark.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm just always on low battery mode because I'm trying to save the juice always.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's saving the juice. As we tell everybody, ditch your phones.
Speaker 1: But here's how we can't be without our phones for three seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but my brain's already ruined.
Speaker 1: We're talking about the future generation Gen z's brains are ruined too. They're addicted, they have COVID, they're depressed, their manic. Okay, the world's ending. I'm talking about your kids. People are listening.
Speaker 2: Now, you have tiny kids, you gotta shelter them from the internet.
Speaker 3: They don't have iPads.
Speaker 1: They do TV, but they don't have iPads, and the only thing they know my phones is happy stickers, which are emojis that Rosie likes to send to you and other friends.
Speaker 3: I know, which is so cute.
Speaker 2: But it was funny when I got a text from you, but I was driving, so I made my car talk and they were like bat emoji, smile emoji, dance emoji emoji. Yeah, oh, this is a rosy message.
Speaker 3: This is a rosy mess. Gotta shut that shit down. Okay.
Speaker 1: So I thought, for this week's what would Sister Peg Do, which is our weekly segment where we point you to a website, blog, post, podcasts, episode, documentary, something to give you more information about what we talked about today, I would point you, guys to this cool website that I found called The Porn Conversation. It is a non profit organization that provides free and easily accessible tools in English, Spanish, French and German for families and educators to talk to young people about sex, beginning with the topic of porn literacy.
Speaker 3: It was a nonprofit founded by Erica Lust. Have you heard of her?
Speaker 1: She is a porn producer, filmmaker. She's an indie porn filmmaker, and she makes like she founded Erica Lust Films, and I guess this website is founded also with her husband, Pablo Dobner, and they promote sexually intelligent narrative porn.
Speaker 3: So in her on her.
Speaker 1: Website she says porn can be misogynistic, racist, and violin and leaves young people of all genders and sexualities with a misunderstanding of what sex is and what respectful relationships look like.
Speaker 3: End quote.
Speaker 1: So the Porn Conversation promotes a sex positive, pleasure based and age appropriate dialogue. Literally, there's a PDF per age where you can be like, oh, my kid's like eight to twelve, or my kids twelve to fifteen or whatever, and you can download these and there's all kinds of ways you could just talk to kids about like what they're seeing on the internet and what you know. But this is a she's a Swedish erotic film director, this woman, so she's in the business.
Speaker 3: And she's just like, I don't you know.
Speaker 1: I think she wanted to make sure that there's sort of like educational conversations that are not shaming porn at all, but are talking to kids about it in a educational way. So for more info. The website is called the Pconversation dot org, so that will be linked as usual in our stories the day the episode comes out, and we will save it forever in our WWSPD highlight. And speaking of our highlights, if you're interested, our teachers might still be trying to get some of their items that they need on their Amazon wish lists for the school year. So if you have a minute, we have a highlight that's called Teachers Click through give see if you can give, like some post it notes five dollars send by people. Help these teachers that are using their own money to buy supplies for kids.
Speaker 3: So fucked up.
Speaker 2: But also, Rosie's backpack looks really cute with her little monogram.
Speaker 1: Dude, that little ll Bean backpack is the backpack everybody had when I was a kid, but like the bigger one for high school and middle school, and my parents got me the wrong one and the monogram was fucked up, and I was just like, I hate you guys forever.
Speaker 3: So I really wanted to get Rosie the good one. So I got her that. Even though I'm sure no one gives a shit about Lbean.
Speaker 1: Like now, I was about to say, this is definitely your upbringing.
Speaker 3: She kicked it because it's blue.
Speaker 1: She likes it because it's blue, and then I was like, oh, it's cute, it's lbean.
Speaker 2: Next week we're doing Bourne Psychopath. Everybody Borne's psychopath, kind of like Kara's daughter Rosie JCA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I called her a psycho so many times over these past you and a half weeks. Maybe I should watch myself one hundred percent you should. I get being like, what are you talking about? You're being psycho? Have you not seen wicked? You don't want?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Is it nurture nature and you're nurturing her to become a psycho if you keep doing that. Now we have season fourteen, Episode nineteen is Born Psychopath.
Speaker 3: We're obsessed with all of you.
Speaker 2: See us live, give us a review, go to our Instagram, send us a DM and watch us view Bye bye guys, forever JK.
Speaker 3: Just till next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Karraklank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much to our producer Kac O'Brien, and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cotner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun Dun