Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl. Hey, everyone, welcome to I Choose Me. Today.
Speaker 2: We've got a quick little holiday bonus inspired by Ross matthews hilarious book name Drop. So we've thought it would be fun to play our own fast, festive name drop game from childhood traditions to unforgettable celebrity moments and of course rossippies he swears by. Let's jump right in name drop fun. Okay, quick fire holiday bonus with Ross Matthewska, what is ready?
Speaker 1: Are you ready?
Speaker 3: I'm ready? Hello?
Speaker 2: Ho one holiday tradition you did as a kid that you've brought into your adult life.
Speaker 3: Go. That would be Nana's potatoes. And it was my favorite thing as a kid. Okay, it is so trashy and so delicious. Okay, ready, Obrian potatoes frogs. I'm gonna give you the recipe right now, and everyone, this is a roscipe. You guys, listen up, take notes. Okay, So one bag, frozen O'Brien potato hash brown things, the square ones got it square one's eye. And if you want to do the peppers and onion ones, do that? Go creasy?
Speaker 1: What about the shredded ones?
Speaker 3: You can do that. I don't care. Do it go nuts. I've made this, don't I've made it with the cauliflower before. You want to be healthier too, Oh so put that in a casserole dish. Then mix two cups of grated sharp shuddar cheese with like basically a bagg of cheddar cheese and a whole bagule bag essentially, and then a tuba.
Speaker 1: Wait, what's happening.
Speaker 3: It's like two cups of each, but essentially it works out to the like the tub of sour cream, the bag of cheddar cheese, two cups each. Mix it. It's calm down, I'm really it's good. It's near that sinning just hearing about it. Go ahead, you smear that on top of the frozen potatoes. Then are you ready for this? Two cups of corn flakes in a bowl mixed with like uh some melted butter, mix, mix mixics mix, Spread that on top of it, bake it in the oven three seventy five for like an hour, and you are welcome. I bring that everywhere, to every holiday. I bring that. It is the best thing ever. Good Lord, I want that in my mouth, in my belly, right okay, I'll make it for you if I'm ever with you on holiday.
Speaker 1: The corn flakes really sent me over the edge, though.
Speaker 2: Okay, on days like we're having right now in the holiday season, when calories don't count. What's your dream Starbucks order?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? So okay, oh god, get it, get it all that you want. Okay. I'm much more of a salty person than a sweet. But if I'm going to do it, I would do some sort of salted caramel, like I would do frozen. I like an ice beverage. I don't care. You know that movie Alive when it's like so cold they're eating each other. I'd still ask for a prappuccino there, Like I like a cold beverage, So I would. I would do some sort of salted caramel something, just where they do the kramel on the side of the cup on the inside so you see it. Yeah, I would do that.
Speaker 1: Oh, and then you get to scrape the edges with the straw and get it all out.
Speaker 3: I would put it on the ground and lick it into a corner like a dog.
Speaker 2: Bold Oh, so you can really get some leverage. Yeah, I like that favorite teacher. What was it that they taught you or how do they make you feel?
Speaker 3: I had great teachers. Kathy Clark Smith was a She was actually a like a substitute teacher. She was like a student teacher, but later in life she went to school to become one. And she thought I was fabulous at a time when I could have easily gone the other way. And I remember like she would ask me my opinion on things, which I thought was interesting. And then when I was like the lead of the school play. Of course you probably know, there's still Tony buzz for my performance as Henry Higgins and my Fair Lady, and she showed up in a like a thrist store ball gown to watch me perform, and I just felt like I was the most popular boy in school.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so special when someone sees you.
Speaker 3: Are you watching? Wait?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm totally going off, but are you watching the show where they don't see each other and then they get married?
Speaker 3: Was blind? Of course every episode?
Speaker 1: Okay, did you watch the end?
Speaker 3: Wait? Are you talking about Love is Blind? Or Married at First Sight?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Love is Blind? I like them both, But okay, I watch Love is Blind? Okay, do I see at the end? Continue?
Speaker 1: Did you see at the end Edwards Edwin. Edwin's teacher came back.
Speaker 3: That yeah, was the most the ways that she just like held him and reassured them that he was a worthy human.
Speaker 1: That was your Kathy Joan Smith.
Speaker 3: Is that her name? Kathy Clark Smith.
Speaker 1: Kathy Clark Smith. That was Kathy.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm still Facebook friends with Kathy Clark Smith and she's doing great. She looks great.
Speaker 1: I love that for Kathy.
Speaker 3: Kathy.
Speaker 1: Good things happen to good people.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna send this to Kathy Clarkslyss She's going to be screaming.
Speaker 2: Okay, name drop a relative, grandparent, uncle, aunt, somebody in your family who has made a significant impact on your life and why.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll pick my uncle John who he and my aunt Jill, So both of them, John and Jill were just here visiting. And when I was in high school, like later in high school and wanted to go to college, I mean, we had no money, and he bought me a ticket to go to a visit to the college, you know, to like go there and meet with them. And that's how I got all these scholarships. And it was because he bought me probably a two hundred dollar ticket from Seattle to la that that happened, and you think about like just a little gesture like that, and twohunjo is not nothing, but it's something we couldn't have afforded. And the fact that he did that and that twohund dollars impact in my life so much is I don't know. It's just indicative of how large even little impacts it little gestures can be on people's lives. So Uncle John and Antil, A lot.
Speaker 2: Of celebrities have come through your life, whether on red carpets or on the couch on the show. Who was one person that wore something so amazing that you've never forgotten it?
Speaker 3: Who wore something?
Speaker 1: Yes, who wore something that like you were like a gasp?
Speaker 3: I can you know? Miley Cyrus sat next to me. I love her. She sat next to me on drag Race And have you done You've done drag Race? Right? Yeah? So you know there it's like kind of a long day. You're there for maybe eight ten hours. It's just long, so you get to really converse. And she was wearing a dress that had it was made out of records and it would looked so imagine sitting in a dress made out of records for right, yeah, and it was so like and she was had to be so uncomfortable it's cold in there, and she just didn't complain. And I remember reading all the record it was made from real records, all the records that they were, and so I was like, one, it was Miley, and then two I wanted to look at the dress and read it, and I was concerned about her, but it almost looked like pervy that I was like looking so hard at her. So it was like this constant battle not to freak out Miley Cyrus. But on that show in particular, people wear looks that are instantly I from the queens to the guests, and so that I think that's one of them. It should be on the Smithsonian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's got some crazy good style. Okay, it is the holidays. I need some I need one more recipe. I need a sweet one. Now.
Speaker 1: I know you like savory, but give me a sweet one.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, but it's still going to be salty. So okay, Okay, this is not it's a Rossby in essence about trying to crack the coat and make them healthy. This isn't healthy. So but I'm going to give you how raw seats dessert. There's this place called Quality Italian on fifty eighth and six that I love in New York. It's a great restaurant and they do this like as everyone else is getting cheesecake and all this stuff, They'll bring me just a scoop of really great vanilla ice cream drizzle with a little olive oil and then big chunky flakes of sea salt on top of it. That is per because it's not overly sweet. There's that you know, salt, What it does to a sweet thing. It's so good. That's what I would do.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love salting sweet things.
Speaker 2: Ross.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had watermelon with salt? Or like a blood orange with salt on it?
Speaker 3: That's how my dad used to eat it. He would cut it and have to just pour salt on it and then like scoop it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, It's weird.
Speaker 2: Do you ever dip a French friend in that ice cream with olive oil?
Speaker 3: Now there's a line, Jenny Garth, I'm not going to CRUs it. Okay, did you ever get a frosty? I understand it, Yes I have. I don't like that. I like fries and ketchup okay, or tartar sauce. I would do. I love a tartar sauce. That's an underrated You're.
Speaker 1: Really not a sweet guy.
Speaker 3: No, I mean you are a sweet eye.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what's one thing you learned from j leno?
Speaker 3: Oh, show up on time? Be nice. Everyone gets home to dinner on time. That's good professionalism. Perhaps exactly Okay, same question for Drew. That's one thing, if you could narrow it down to one thing. Drew teaches me so much. Drew's We're very different, very different. I'm much more I'm much more structured, I think, and or maybe I am. She's magic. She talks about the camera. She literally calls the camera a butterfly net that captures life's moments. That's how she thinks of like a film camera or the camera in the studio, and that's how she approaches the show. If you think about it, when you were shooting the show, she doesn't know where camera one is or camera two, and she doesn't care. I know where camera one is and camera two is and what camera I'm on and who's cutting to next, Like I'm very hyper aware of that stuff, and she just wants this authentic thing that's captured, and that's her approach to everything. There's nothing that's not authentic. I could fake it. I can like smile through some pain and get to commercial break and then go cry in a corner and come back and get back to work. She's not that, and I'm so envious of that, Like, why do I put that pressure on myself that I have to be that when what really people are seeking out is authenticity and Drew is is just authentic through and through, and that is not only something I envy, but something I am working to emulate.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is.
Speaker 2: One funny on air red carpet oopsies that you can laugh about? Now?
Speaker 3: Oh, I called Dame Elizabeth t Taylor day Medna once on accident. Oh no, they told me to call her Dame Elizabeth, and I was in my head, I was like, oh, like day Medna. And then I walked in and there was a dog barking, and I didn't know I was going to interview her. There's like thirty seconds I had to prep you know, like literally, they said, oh, come here, Elizabeth Taylor, and I told you I wouldn't be interviewing her, which made more sense like I shouldn't. And then they said, like Dame Elizabeth, like Dame Edna. So I walked in, she was like not what I sured? It was different, and it just came I go, Dame Edna, it's a bit Taylor like that.
Speaker 1: Did she notice?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, we all did. And then what I love about myself is that rather than like edit that out for the tonight show, I aired it, paused it and did a voice or that said I just called her Dame Edna. Listened back, and then we played it back in slow motion so good, just to embarrass myself further, but you know it, Dame ed No that I wish I could have met her now because she loved gay men. I know a lot of men who like Martin Lawrence Billard is a friend of mine. He's this brilliant designer and he knew her and like would hang like they knew each other, and she was fabulous, And I just feel like I would have loved her and she would have loved me for reals if I could have been my real self.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, okay named her up eminems are skittles, yes, okay, good, good, that's it. You've passed all the name drop tests.
Speaker 3: Well, I had to taste the rainbow at the end, you know. Thank you for saving that for me.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. I love you so much.
Speaker 2: Happy Holidays to you and your fam and Audrey you too.
Speaker 3: I've been looking forward to this, you know, for for a long time, and thank you for being just exactly and even better than what I pictured.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I love you.
Speaker 2: I love you too.
Speaker 1: Bye.