Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're happy to announce a new hypeman has dropped. Jason Kelsey handshake emoji. Olympic Women's Rugby a match made in Heaven. Swifties that means, set your DVRs, learn the names of the players. Let's give this Olympic women's rugby team the love they deserve. On today's show, we'll be talking with four time Olympic gold medalists and four time WNBA champion, The Woman, the Myth, the Legend, Cheryl Swoops, plus our big Easter Egg reveal. It's more proof that I should not be left to my own devices. But first, here's what you need to know today. Tmusa waterpolo is currently one in one in Olympic competition after a thirteen eleven lost to Spain on Monday. This was a rematch of the Olympic final three years ago in Tokyo.
Speaker 2: Get this.
Speaker 1: It's only the US team's second loss at the Olympics since two thousand and eight. The US women's water polo team is one of the most dominant teams in the world in any sport, so it's always big news when they lose. But it also doesn't mean much in the context of the Olympic tournament. Hopefully just leads to a rematch in the gold medal game. Next up for Team USA Italy on Wednesday at twelve thirty pm Eastern in rugby in a chippy quarter final match with Great Britain, Team USA held on in one seventeen to seven to advance. Next up is a semi final match against New Zealand today at nine thirty am Eastern, live on Peacock. The US is seeking its first ever Olympic gold medal in rugby. Both bronze and gold medal games are later on this afternoon. Also, if you're still not following our rugby Queen Alana Mayor, you're like a million or so people behind, so get on that right now. You can watch her convert Jason Kelsey to hype man, stiff armed people a la Marshaun Lynch, and turn pretty much every moment of the Olympics into a comedy routine. The gymnastics team final is today, beginning at twelve to fifteen pm Eastern.
Speaker 3: Here's how it works.
Speaker 1: During the final, each country has three athletes compete on each apparatus, and all three scores count despite tweaking your calf while warming up during Sunday's qualification, is expected to compete on all four apparatuses Apparati apparatus, same with Jordan Chiles, while Jade Carey will appear on vault and Sudney Lee will compete on bars, beam and floor. The Americans will enter the team final as the favorites for gold, and they posted the best score in qualifying by a long shot. But of course, gymnastics is an unforgiving sport and anything can happen. Remember in the team final three years ago, Simone Biles, dealing with the twisties, had to withdraw and the US went on to win silver again. That event is twelve to fifteen pm Eastern, So take a long lunch break.
Speaker 3: You know I'm gonna be.
Speaker 1: Watching Team USA takes the court for the first time in three x three basketball today at eleven thirty am Eastern against Germany. That US team is going to be super fun to watch. Sierra Burdick, Derek Hamby, Ryan Howard and Hayley Vanlyth. And a quick refresher on three x three just in case you haven't watched it since Tokyo, Okay. The Games are super fast, like if you go get a snack and you come right back, you might miss it fast.
Speaker 3: Each game is only ten minutes, but it can end sooner than that.
Speaker 1: If one team reaches twenty one points, watch that on NBC or stream it on peacock.
Speaker 3: Maybe had a couple screen setups. They don't miss any of the action.
Speaker 1: Speaking of basketball, team, USA is five on five. Squad kept it tighter than expected early against Japan, but then pulled away for a one oh two seventy six win. Asia Wilson led the team with twenty four points and thirteen rebounds. We can't shout out USA women soops without a quick good game, good game.
Speaker 3: Fact you times two fact number one.
Speaker 1: With their win against Japan, it's been eleven thousand, six hundred and eighty two days since the basketball team lost an Olympic game. Fact number two. Only three of the twelve players on the current US roster were alive for that loss. Diana Tarassi, Alisa Thomas, Britney Griner shout out the olds. Speaking of USA hoops, we got to take a break, but when we come back. I had the one of interviewing Cheryl Swoops for the keynote conversation at Monday's Athletes Unlimited Innovation Summit, you can hear why she was brought to tears talking about Athletes Unlimited basketball, her take on the evolution of the WNBA, and her response to the accusations leveled against her at.
Speaker 2: The beginning of this season.
Speaker 3: Come on back, welcome back.
Speaker 1: Settle in for a great conversation I had yesterday with the legendary Cheryl Swoops. Cheryl Swoops was the first player to be signed in the WNBA, A three time WNBA MVP, four time WNBA Champion. As an eleven year member of the Houston Comets, she accumulated over two thousand career points, five hundred career rebounds, three hundred career assists, and two hundred career steals. She has won three Olympic gold medals. She's one of eleven women's basketball players to have won an Olympic gold medal and NCAA Championship, a FOEBA World Cup gold, and a WNBA title. She was elected to the Naismith Hall of Fame in twenty sixteen and the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in twenty six seventeen. She's a coach and analyst a mom and a legend. She took on Michael Jordan and went on one at his camp, and even though she lost, she got lipstick and makeup all over his T shirt and got to take it home as a souvenir.
Speaker 2: So she's a winner.
Speaker 1: In my book, it's Cheryl Swoops the goat.
Speaker 4: What's up, girl, Shay Sarah?
Speaker 2: Hi, so great to see you again.
Speaker 1: We just hung at the WNBA All Star Week and we're gonna get to some stuff from that. But I want to actually start back when you were playing Michael at his camp.
Speaker 2: And here's why.
Speaker 1: It was this moment in time, this peak maybe of your stardom. You're getting invites to MJ's camp, You're the first player ever in the WNBA, You've got your own shoe, the air swoops like in those first couple of years. What stands out to you from that time and that attention you were getting.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I guess if I compare that time to today, I'm like, that was nothing right, because it's just crazy attention that the league's getting today. But I think for me, like back then, what really stood out, honestly was the fact that Michael Jordan knew who I was. You know, like Michael Jordan to me like, there will never be another one? Me too, girl, You'd like right, like he just he just was Michael. And I remember when I didn't get the call. My college coach at the time, Marcia Sharp, she got the call and was like, Hey, Michael Jordan wants you to come work as a basketball camp. And so I was like, wow much, Seriously, how much do I have to pay to go work his basketball camp? She's like, Cheryl, that's not how that works. But I remember just having a very brief conversation with him about he watched the Final four and he just had so much to say about my game and had so much to say about women's basketball that I was just like, Wow, We've made it. That was the That was my mindset and my thought back then. But when I compare it to where we are today, I'm like, wow, well.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about that because the Wnball Star Game just had this insane ratings three point four to four million people, and that shattered the last record of one point four million that was back in two thousand and three when you were playing. But one point four million is a lot. A lot of times we say those statistics, and we don't ask ourselves, well, what was going on in two thousand and three, why was that a record? Yere right, So you were in that game. Those early years of the W had incredible attention. They were it was quite popular. People were excited about it. But then it dipped, and I'm wondering to what do you attribute some of that really high excitement when it started and then the lull before the recent major growth.
Speaker 4: I don't know, you know, I really was having this conversation with someone the other day when we were talking about, like, when the W started in ninety seven, it was the excitement behind it and everyone was ready for it, and it was coming right off the ninety six Olympics. So like the enthusiasm and the excitement, people were like, give us more, give us more. And so I think the first like ten years of the W was really really fun. It was exciting, and you were winning every time. Well that made it even better. But I know people look at the game today and they're like, wow, like these women are really good. And I said to someone the other day, I said, but we've always been good, Like the game has always been exciting. I think the biggest difference today is social media to me plays a huge part of where the game is today. Right, there are more eyes and fans feel very connected to the players right or wrong, like them, love them, hate them. It gives them a space to feel like they're connected to that athlete. And at some point when the WNBA first started, right the first ten years, we're excited, I think fans got bored. I guess right, it was like, well, the comments won the first flour and someone else won this one. Like give us something different, give us something more exciting to cheer about. So at one point there it was like people forgot about the WNBA and then you lost teams right Houston, Sacramento, teams who won championships, and a lot of people forgot about the WNBA. And I think at one point the league finally figured out, like we need to continue to market this league year round. We can't just market it in the summer because in the off season people tend to forget about the WNBA.
Speaker 1: And I feel like that's investment too. It bursts onto the scene and is really popular. Despite some poisoning of the well, there were very prominent male sports writers who were making fun of the w There were even some questions still do yes, but yes they usually get shouted down now though, and before it was like, hey, it's okay that there's this butt.
Speaker 2: Of the joke that we're going to make women.
Speaker 1: But I think also the marketing was an interesting choice, like some of the Sue burd in a halter top and swing cash on the hood of a car. It was like that that's not really what we're going for here, but it thrived anyway, and then it was like, well, we put some money in and now it exists and we're done, and instead there needed to be a continued investment.
Speaker 2: That seems to be a problem with a lot of women's sports.
Speaker 1: Is this idea of like putting a little bit in and then demanding ROI instead of realizing, like any startup or new business, you need to put in a lot of money with the intention that over the long haul you're going to get back what you're putting in. And that felt like some of that drought was because of not really feeling like investing in it. The early years were also a fascinating time for people to remind themselves that women are athletes and women, and you actually changed minds on that in a really meaningful way. Because you're drafted, you're getting ready to play your first WNBA season, and you get pregnant and the league decides to actually film you being pregnant, film you coming back just six weeks after you gave birth to play, and they tried to make you sort of the everyday mom that was relatable, like Cheryl Swoops has ever been every day at literally anything?
Speaker 4: I am Sarah, Well, you do have a back problem as an.
Speaker 2: So that's relatable.
Speaker 1: And the whole personal summer menopause thing that's relatable. Yeah, this travels, it's right, But you help destigmatize female athletes giving birth.
Speaker 2: What was that like for you?
Speaker 1: Because you're just starting your WNBA career, You're a twenty six year old, there's all the pressure of helping me the face of this new league and you're a new mom.
Speaker 4: I mean it was a lot. But before I even answer that, I want to go back to what you ask earlier. I think one of the things with the league in the beginning was really trying to figure out, like how do we market these women? And I'm not sure the league really knew like who is our audience? Who are we trying to market to? Who do we want to get to come out to the game. And back then, right like all of us were we were trying to wear this hat only one right that the league said this is this is the image we've got to put out and this is what we need people to think we are. And today one the league has changed. But more than that, the players have basically said, I'll keep it clean. But the players honestly are like, wells, yeah, Like we're going to be who we are and you're either going to like us, you're gonna love us, or you're gonna hate us, but it's not going to change who we are as individuals. And I think that in itself has really changed where the league is. It's changed more brands wanting to get on board and say I really want you to be a part of my brand and represent my company.
Speaker 1: It's a response to society too, though for originally the league is very concerned about racism, homophobia, judgments about female athletes and whether they fill the roles of women that we expect. It was like, let's pretty them up and make sure everyone thinks they're hot while they're playing sports, right, And instead now it's just be authentically yourself feminine, masculine, gay, straight, villain, funny whatever, and just in life in society at large. Were allowing people to be themselves more and that allows the athletes to step into what you're talking about, which is massive for women's sports. I think it's one of the biggest things that has turned the tide for every single women's sports.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's and it's huge today, right because back then, you know, we there were things that we didn't like, but we didn't feel like we had that voice to necessarily stand up and say this is not right or this is we don't agree with this. And I always say someone had to be the first. So when the league started at ninety seven, we were just happy to have a league, right, didn't really matter charter flights, we had, roommates, didn't have our own room. I'm a mom. I have a roommate with a child, right, and so if I wanted my own room, I had to pay the difference. So there were so many things that looking back on it, I'm like, how in the world as a professional athlete, as an adult professional athlete, we're having to share rooms with someone else? Like I Yeah, anyway.
Speaker 1: And who drew the short straw of rooming with Cheryl and her kids.
Speaker 4: Uh. But I couldn't even imagine though, having to have a roommate, right, even if I didn't have a kid. I just I need my own space. So to that point, when I found out in ninety seven that I was pregnant, it took me a while to tell the league because I had no idea how they were going to respond at first, and there was a part of me that was like, I cannot believe I'm letting the league down right, being the first player to sign and they're doing all of this marketing behind me, and then I find out I'm pregnant. So finally I was like, all right, they're gonna find out, so I need to tell them. But I have to tell you the support that I received back then from Nike and even from the league, there was never any pressure at all to come back and be a part of the league. That was important to me because I wanted to do that. But it's so crazy when I think about what I personally went through as a woman, as a mom, as an athlete, oh gosh, but just the struggles that I had to go through, and so I today I hear or I listened to like Skyler Diggins. I listened to her tell her story, and I went through those things, but I had nobody that I could talk to. So it was one of those things where I went, I practiced, I played, I did my job like no one had a clue what I was really going through, Like just on a personal level of how do I balance being the best mom I can be but also being the best athlete I can be because there was so much pressure, right, so many eyes on me. I remember reading this one story. Sorry, I didn't know I was gonna cry, but I remember reading this one article from this reporter who I won't name but he's still free. But he just basically said, like there's no way she will ever be able to be a mom and be a successful athlete, which I'm sure there are so many women who deal with that, right, like motherhood and being a career, having a career, being a wife, whatever that is. And I remember reading that and the first thing I thought was, like, you have no idea who I am, and you have no idea what I'm capable of. So like that type of stuff just only fuel my fire, right, But I also knew that there would be more women who would come after me, who would be in that same situation. So for me, it was so important that I was able to not just show the w and show men, but I wanted to show women like, like, we can do this, We can be great moms, we can have great careers, and we don't have to make sacrifices on any of it. And I won't say it was easy, but I had a great circle of people around me was I did okay. I did okay.
Speaker 1: You know what, though, it reminds me when we talk about the growth of women's sports and some of the setbacks, if we don't acknowledge the things that happened with intention, we are ignoring the context that's required to really understand the path toward today. The pseudoscience that was used to argue that women shouldn't play while pregnant or after pregnant, The pseudoscience that said women would come back from pregnancy less than or less capable, which was not founded at all in actual medicine. All of that was used with intention to tell women that their space was at the home with their children. I mean, it was like two thousand and three, the head of the International Ski Federation said women still shouldn't do ski jumping because.
Speaker 2: Their uteruses would fall out.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and three, we're still doing that, and so when we don't acknowledge the stuff that happens with intention to hold us back. The seventy year soccer band in England and now women's soccer is doing great and people are like.
Speaker 2: Well, they finally figured it out.
Speaker 1: No, there was a seventy year band of women playing professional soccer there. You think that held them back a little? Like we got to talk about it, yeah, because otherwise we blame the product, and it's never been the product.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the All Star works ever. Ever, ever, ever, let's talk about the All Star weekend. I went to a very lovely dinner in your honor, which was beautiful. We love to see people get their flowers, even if it's a few years late. You got your flowers at the time, but we're still giving them to you. And you mentioned that you want to have a brunch to connect current WNBA players with the players of the past, and not just the big names like you, but everybody who helped bank the league what it was.
Speaker 2: Why is that so important to you?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know a lot of people look at the W when it started, and of course they remember myself and Lisa and Rebecca and Don and Coop and Tina, which rightfully so. But for me, this brunch, which by the way, I know that's time why we're talking about it, but thanks to AU a huge sponsor, was an incredible brunt. Love it, but it was so important to me last year was the first one in this year, but I want to be able to bring back former players and celebrate them and like you said, and give them their flowers, because every single player that was a part of the W when it started, they play a huge role in where we are today. And I think because of all the attention that the league is getting to day the rookie class, rightfully so. But there's a part of me that feels disrespected for those other players because you don't hear about them very much, you don't talk about them very much. The league doesn't really do anything for them. And so I want to put all of us in a room together where we can celebrate each other, where we can reminisce the good, the bad, everything in between. We can talk about the crazy hairstyles we had and you know, the outfits that we were, But I want to put us in a room where we're just being celebrated and we're talking about where we were, where the league was, where it is today, where we're going. I think it's a great time for celebration, but also trying to bridge that gap between former players and current players, because unfortunate thing is. As well as I think the league is doing right now, I think it could be in such a better place if former players were more involved with the w And there are a lot of current WNBA players who don't know the former players. If if it's not like you know the top ten and there were so many former players who were some bad asses, I can say, ass, I'll keep it there that. I feel like the players today need to get to know who these players were, the players who pave the way, who have given you the opportunity to be where you are today. And so that's that's what I want my brunch to be, and just celebrating women in general for being in this space.
Speaker 1: I think there's such mythologizing around men's sports. We hear about and know about the greats and even the not so greats that just have good stories.
Speaker 2: We don't do that in women's sports.
Speaker 1: It's something I'm trying to do on my show Good Game with Sarah Spain daily on iHeart.
Speaker 4: Podcasts And if you haven't subscribed, subscribe.
Speaker 1: Subscribe, follow, like write a review, rate five stars please. But I am trying to do that because part of what we love about sports is water cooler talk, having takes, having debates, and we can't do that if we're saying top five all time WNBA point guards and you don't know the ones that played twenty years ago. We can't have those fun mount rushmore of what. You can't do that if we don't have that context. And so the myth building is extremely important, and so is internalizing female greatness in young people, so that those athletes who maybe grew up and are now in the WNBA but instead idolized Lebron and Dirk. And you know what I always here, Elena Deeladon is the Dirknowitzkin's like, no, how about find a woman from the WNBA that was a big who could run the ball in two threes and big inside and you know that kind of stuff is so important and it's really under discussed how much that affects our view of what we're watching and how we can textualize it. So I love that you're doing that. You mentioned AU helping out with the brunch. AU actually also gave you a shot at commentating when you had been rejected. Can you talk about why that was so important?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, y'ah, if I cry, I'm gonna blame it on my back. Okay, No, you know, first of all, I just think what AU is doing. Megan, I don't like you either.
Speaker 2: I feel like Barbara Walters.
Speaker 5: No, God, jeez, I don't even know the people in the room like this for y'all to see me crying, But I just think what AU has done and what they continue to do.
Speaker 4: I'll get to myself in a second. Given women an opportunity to play in another women's professional basketball league is huge, And I know a lot of people look at AU and they're like, oh, is it the G League to the W And I'm like, absolutely not. It is another women's professional league. It's still the only other five on five women's professional basketball league here in the States. And for me to have an opportunity to be a part, the little bit that I do commentating alongside Cindy Brunson, U Basketball has always just given me a place where I don't know, in a way where I feel wanted and need it. And so when I tried this in other avenues without bringing them up, you know, on ESPN, it was kind of like, eh, no, You're not ready, and I'm like, well, damn, I've been retired for ten years. I don't know when I will be ready, and so I just I've always been taught that when one door closes, another one will open. And if God closes that door, it means that's not where you're supposed to be. So just be patient. And I remember the very first year of AU, when it was in Las Vegas, getting a call from Sherry Kemp whose she was in the back of the room. Don't know where Sherry just went Sherry, did you leave? Because she knew I was going to bring up her name. Well, Sherry called me because Eileen Hawser had reached out to Sherry and said, I really think Cheryl would be good doing the games. Had a conversation with her and I was just like, I absolutely would love to be a part of AU. And I think the reason why I get emotional without getting emotional right now is because sometimes you put in so much work at your craft and all the awards, all the accolades, they're great, right, that recognition is incredible, But I think there's still for me. There was still a part of me that was like, damn, like I worked my butt off and there's nowhere for me in this this space, this commentating space. And AU opened the door and said we want you, we want you to be a part of the family. And to me, that meant so much much more to me than any award I've ever won, because they saw something in me that a lot of other people didn't and gave me an opportunity to do something and be a part of something that was brand new. And I've never really been in that space. But I have to tell you the excitement I get from not only doing the games, but being around the players, being around the AU family's it's such a great group that I don't know why players who aren't going overseas, I don't know why they wouldn't be a part, wouldn't want to be a part of it. Because the competition is top notch, the players are amazing. I love the family environment, I love the community, and it's just it's a four week season for those who may not know a lot about AU. If you don't, you need to. You're in this room, you need to. And it's just such a great environment. And I've said this before and I'll say it again today. I'm so great, grateful and thankful and indebted to John and Jonathan and the AU family for giving me this opportunity, and it's one that I'm very grateful for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, for those who aren't familiar.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I think should be covered more about AU is that it's a model for what we demand of other leagues that haven't gotten there yet. But they're doing it the way we always ask others to when it comes to maternity rights and values of the players being their own coaches, and you know, the vested interest that they have in the league. Like the way that they're doing it is what we wish other leagues would do. So being able to promote it better so that other leagues will take the nod and kind of start it themselves. I also think you mentioned like being able to be in one place with your family. You don't have to go overseas. Everyone can go to one place for that four weeks. It's just a great, great opportunity. It's a player led lea. Yeah, right, so the players pretty much have control over I don't want to say everything, not everything, but you know what I mean, and it's it's the players' voices that they listen to and the players themselves they're they're they're helping to grow the league.
Speaker 4: They're helping to grow the game. And you know, for for players when they play in the WNBA and when the season's over, a lot of players don't don't want to have to go overseas, right, and a lot of them have to go. There are players who still choose to do it, but to be able to stay stateside. It's a four week season, Bring your family, It's great competition, they're making good money for four weeks, and it's just it's a really really great competitive league that I think more and more WNBA players are going to want to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Olympic basketball happening now. Team USA women looking for an unbelievable eighth straight gold.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: It has been thirty two years, eleven six and eighty days to be exact, since they last lost an Olympic game.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Pretty decent not com what, yeah, I mean? I don't even think you can jinx them, that's how incredible they are. But let's just do it just in case. What are you watching for when you're watching those games, when you have a dominant team like that, what are you watching for to see like this could be the thing that would make them more vulnerable or this is the thing they need to be doing.
Speaker 4: Right well, I think there we are our biggest competition, right and until we get to the medal rounds, we really shouldn't be tested very much. So when I watch, it's more about what we're doing, not what the other teams are doing, and are they playing together or are they playing selfishly which has never happened. It's all about team USA. It's all about just bringing home the gold medal this year. For me, though maybe a little different because and I'm only saying this because she said it, this will be Diana's last Olympics, So I'm I just want to I want to watch her, right like, I want to see what she's getting out of these games and how well she's going to play, Because forty two years old, Diana Tarassi is still getting buckets. I don't care what everybody has to say on social media, they don't know anything, but she's still getting it. I love this team. I love the vets we have with the younger players, and it's just so exciting for me this time of year to be able to watch because it just kind of takes me back to when I played in my very first one in nineteen ninety six, and to think that we're going for our eighth straight gold medal, unbelievable. It's pretty special.
Speaker 1: I love too that Diana called it out and she said, only in women's sports would twenty years of experience be considered a negative right instead of.
Speaker 2: Something that we talk about how incredible it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because darned if we don't talk about men like Lebron who is incredible doing what he's doing at his age, And instead of doing that with Diana, we're like push her out and bring in someone else.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's absurd.
Speaker 4: That's a whole nother conversation. Agreed.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be joining the Women's sports audio network on iHeart alongside my show Good Game with Sarah Spain subscribers every day, give us a little teaser. I know you don't know yet have a launch date, and you're still working out some details, but like, what do you want to talk about? What's missing from the space, what are you excited to bring?
Speaker 4: So I think I just got my co host, but I can't announce for you. You don't want to bring any news, and I have I have three names for it. Every other name I wanted it was taken. The first one that I wanted was can I say a bad word? I close your ears? No. But the name I wanted was real shit, yeah right yes? And the yeah, it's taken. So I don't know what it is. But the idea behind my podcast is not just it's not just a sports podcast. It's about real shit and life right, things that we as women go through every day. Things that we as female athletes, everything from pregnancy to menopause to stuff that we just don't talk about. But I think women, if they had a space to talk about it, would come and talk about it. But also listening for me, listening to all these other sports podcasts this year, namely for men who think they know whatever what women want right, or think they know what women are capable of doing, I'm like, let me tell y'all what we really are capable of doing. So I'm excited about it. I have no idea when the launch date is, but yeah, y'all tune in, no, stay tuned so you can, like subscriber perfect to.
Speaker 2: Your point you just said, though about it.
Speaker 1: One of the most astounding things I heard early in the w NBA season, when the unhinged rhetoric around Caitlin and Angel and the league was happening, was a former NBA player professional athlete who said that the women of the WNBA should ease off and let Caitlin score because it'd be better for the league if she was doing well. And I thought, never has it been more clear how much men, but a professional athlete man did not understand women's sports in what universe? Would you ever think, in any sport, all the way down to kids, that you would let the opponent play better?
Speaker 2: In what universe?
Speaker 1: That was so infuriating to me, and it just reminded me how much work we have to do, because that went beyond all the other dumb shit that was said. It really went to a space of like, you don't even think what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Is sports anymore? Yeah, because that's not sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I don't know if you want to get into it.
Speaker 2: We can get to Q and A. I was trying to avoid this topic, but you brought it up, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: I'll keep it short and sweet because I have so many things to say about that. But the first thing, though, is Caitman doesn't even want that. No, Like, how disrespectful is that to her to even say, y'all don't guard her? What? So I asked the question and said, to all of the NBA guys and just all the male athletes, so when when a rookie comes into your sport do you do that? Do you say, oh, well, just give him the ball and let him go score and shoot and do all the great things that he does. No, you don't. And so then it became well, gosh, they're picking her up full court. Well yeah, yeah, duh, she shoots from my I mean, it's still it's it's a game. It's competitive. We're trying to win. I need to win. So if me having to guard Caitlyn Clark full court means we're going to get a win, then that's what I gotta do. Coaches come up with a game, you know. But Sarah, there were so many dumb things that were said to me. It was that I want to talk about everybody else, I'll talk about myself. They said that I was a racist, I was jealous, I was envious, I was a lot. I'll run out of fingers, and I said, like, not only Caitlyn, like all of these rookies. They're trying to get to where I've been, So why why? Why? Like make that make sense? My My biggest thing was, I think, what Angel Caitlyn, Kate Martin, who I am a huge fan of. I love Kate Martin. Who is? I love Kate Martin, Cambrink, Rikia Jackson, Camilla Cardoso? Who else? I'm trying to get all the romans because I'll miss one name and they'll say, well, Cheryl didn't mention this one. I think what they've done, what they continue to do for this league is incredible, without a doubt. We are at a place in a space that we've never been before. And is that because of this rookie class, particularly Angel Caitlin one hundred percent. But I also don't want us to forget about the Asia Wilson's, the Diana Tarassi's, the players that have been here that continue to do everything they can do to uplift this sport. It's been competitive, it continues to be competitive, like just let these women be great.
Speaker 3: Such amazing stuff from Cheryl.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if you noticed twice I think she apologized for crying. And I want to tell all of you how much more meaningful conversations like that are when we see the real person in there. I've been to so many conferences, I've moderated so many panels, and I don't want people to be full of talking points. I want honesty and real emotion. And Cheryl brought that. So what a legend. Okay, time to pay the bills again when we return. It's a very Olympic edition of What the Fact? All right, folks, it's time for another edition of What the Fact?
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Unless you slept through the opening ceremony and the first few days of competition, you've probably heard it mentioned that the Paris Olympics are the first ever gender balanced Olympics.
Speaker 3: But are they really?
Speaker 1: The International Olympic Committee has been using the hashtag gender Equal Olympics for these games because, for the first time ever, there are an equal number of athlete spots allocated to both men and women. We've been climbing closer to this so called moment of equilibrium for more than a century now. Ever, since twenty two women competed at the nineteen hundred Paris Olympics, making up just two point two percent of the field. But while the numbers have most certainly improved, and really really they have, that doesn't quite mean the games have achieved gender equality. Take, for example, the soccer tournaments that feature sixteen men's teams and just twelve women's. The same imbalance exists in water polo, where there are twelve of men's teams and just ten women's. And get this, sky News reported this week that the IOC has no plans to change that, at least not in soccer. In a statement to sky News, the IOC said quote raising the number of women's teams would potentially trigger requests from other teams sports, which would then have an even greater impact on the cost, complexity, size, and sustainability of the games.
Speaker 3: What the actual So.
Speaker 1: You're saying women's soccer can't have gender equality because I don't know, maybe more women.
Speaker 3: Would call for gender equality.
Speaker 1: Of course, all this also ignores the fact that some athletes, like Canadian soccer player.
Speaker 3: Quinn and US runner Niki Hilts, are.
Speaker 1: Non binary and ahead of the Olympics, Quinn actually called out the IOC because their profile and the official parasite lists the wrong gender.
Speaker 3: As of this recording, it still hasn't been fixed.
Speaker 1: Off the courts and fields, women remain vastly underrepresented in coaching as well and other sports adjacent jobs. While the official numbers are still in process, it's estimated that just one in ten coaches in Paris are women. You could check out an op ed by the Women's Sports Foundations ton Net Layton and Scout Basset at USA today dot com and read a little bit more about the steps we still need to take toward real equality, especially in the Paralympics where we don't even have gender balance. So while we're most certainly pumped for the games and the increase in representation, let's make sure to call it what it is, one more step.
Speaker 2: And not the end of the journey.
Speaker 1: We always love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good game play the day. Watch a new Olympic sport. We get it tracked. Gymnastics, soccer, swimming. They're all so fun to cheer for, but there's so much more out there. Did you know that the final for team archery came down to a three arrow shootout and a magnifying glass to determine the winner and give South Korea their tenth straight gold in the event. Seriously, a magnifying glass. Here a few sports deep in competition that might have just as thrilling of finals in the next few days. Handball, maybe, table tennis, canoe slalom. I'm not saying I know the rules of any of those, but I will be watching and so should you. Let us know what you decide to watch. And as a reminder, if you have any questions while watching, make sure to send him to producer alex Azi.
Speaker 2: She's really hoping one.
Speaker 3: Of you can stumper.
Speaker 1: So far, she's really only struggled to answer her dad's question, which was who is Snoop Dogg and why is he there? Send her a tweet at by alex Azi al ex Aszi and remember we'd always love to hear from you. Hit us up on email good game at Wondermedia network dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy.
Speaker 3: Okay, you've waited long enough. It's time for the big reveal.
Speaker 1: Did you guys catch the easter eggs in our first eight episodes? And did you catch that? I said we had ten episodes instead of eight because math is hard. If you didn't get the answer, this should help. You would not last an hour in the asylum where they raised me. Girl is a nightmare dressed like a daydream. You deserve prison, but you won't get time. Hi, I'm the problem.
Speaker 3: It's me baby. Let the games begin.
Speaker 1: Old habits die screaming because you know I love the players and you love the game. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes. That's right, Taylor swift Lyrics. Several of you got it right and emailed in and Marga Sisson I hope. I said your name right is our winner picked via random number generator, and she also sent the nicest email to the three of us two so I wanted to read a little bit of it. I want to say congrats on the pod. It's amazing so far. Love the different segments and guests have been unreal. Thank you for bringing this to life and for bringing a much needed light and space to women's sports. Thank you for all that you do. I'm having the time of my life. With you in this pod Yours and Women's Sports and Taylor Swift. Marga ps for more listener name ideas. Here are some Swifty inspired ones, the anti heroes, the mirror Balls, the mad women, the lucky ones. Thank you, Marga and Margo works at the Gist and we love the Gist. That email made our day. Also thank you to Andy Wannacott for your email. Here's a little bit of Andy's clever message. It was full of te Swift references. I was recommending this show to one of my friends and I made the comment I like that Sarah Spain is a basic white millennial Chicago girlie like me, and I get all of her references, like there's been more than one Taylor Swift quote in the episodes. I look the age up later and Sarah is actually cuspy and probably considers herself gen X. But the point stands. She went on to give the Taylor Swift references from the show and said, but what if I told you none of it was accidental. I'm positive there have been more than the ones I listed, but they slipped away into a moment of time because they were never mine. Well played, Andy, so many Te Swift references.
Speaker 3: Also, thank you for assuming.
Speaker 1: That I was young when it is convenient, I am indeed an elder millennial, and when it.
Speaker 3: Is not convenient, I am indeed gen x. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to subscribe, rate, and review to Good Game with Sarah Spain.
Speaker 3: It's super easy. Watch so that Google commercial. It features a.
Speaker 1: Father encouraging his daughter to use AI to write American hurdler Sidney McLaughlin lavroni a fan letter rating one out of five stars, and that once just for featuring a super badass female athlete in the ad review.
Speaker 3: Who the wants a fan letter from a computer?
Speaker 1: And who wants their kid learning that replacing genuine emotion and personal care with a form letter created by a machine is the answer to literally anything in life. The kid doesn't learn to write, doesn't learn to express herself, doesn't learn to be brave in sharing her feelings and reaching out to a role model. She just learns how to tele computer to do her work for her. And honestly, even a stickler like me would rather get a handwritten fan note that.
Speaker 3: Says You're great? Why O you are?
Speaker 1: Than a perfectly spelled, grammatically correct letter from Gemini or Watson or Johnny five from Short Circuit or even the T one thousand from Terminator two. Thanks for listening, everybody, see you tomorrow when we talk to the incredibly badass US fifteen hundred meter champion Nikki Hilt's aka, our official non binary flag bearer for Team USA. Can't wait for you to listen. Good game, Cheryl, Good Game listener, Swifties, you not actual gender equal?
Speaker 3: Gender equality.
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Jenny Kaplan, Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez and Grace Lynch. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain