Speaker 1: The world's best known banker is Jamie Diamond, the longtime CEO of JP Morgan. I had a chance to meet with Jamie Diamond recently to talk about what's going on in the financial world. He said he didn't want to be Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, but maybe would take a call to being Secretary of the Treasury. So recently you've been talking about the importance of the United States and are celebrating our two hundred and fiftieth but also investing in things that are security related. What made you focus on that and you're now going to commit what a build trullion and a half dollars over the next ten years for this kind of investment.
Speaker 2: Why did you decide to do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've always been a patriot, and like you know, you took here about growth, you know, growing the economy and the grievances of Americas, which is a lot of legitimates we're going to deal with and get policy right. But one of them was this notion that we ended up being so reliant on other people, some potential adversaries for things critical to the security of the United States, and it wasn't just us it's our allies too. So we did some real research Acrourse twenty eight industry groups. And you're talking about rare earths, which you all know about, active pharmaceutical ingredients somebody may know about, you know, obviously military production, drones, air cyber or satellite what are the things you need for resiliency that we already did a lot of it, and we wanted to do more, realizing it was an important thing to do. How we got here, I don't like crinervers builled milk, but we should never have been here. So that's two and a half dollars. My guesses will be quite a bit more than that by the time we're done. We've had a deluge of interest in it. Then we have We hired Todd Colms, who's just a world class investor and a world class person who's got his own day lous coming in to invest ten billion and probably more. And we certainly probably have partners in that in helping companies with growth capital they need to grow to build the next plans or something. We did real research and supply chains. There's a lot of companies that provide what's important for basic important military equipment that need help to grow there. They could be private companies or bigger companies. There's a venture capital component. We're also going to do research, so think around the ship building ecosystem. UH. And then and policy. A lot of things that are wronger policy reasons, how we how we're allowed to procure in the military, UH, things like permitting EPA laws. You know, if you want to keep this country safe and secure, we need to do this work. We need to do it now and right away. It also will be extended to you know, nations in Europe, Australia, Japan, South Korea. And it's just important to do a national security you know, if you didn't, if you didn't get the wake up call in February when you know three hundred thousand Russian troops in Van and Ukraine, you know, the world's not safe. It was never safe. We just got loads of the false sense of security. The big, biggest safety to have is the strongest military in the planet.
Speaker 1: When the Great Recession happened, were you worried about the viability of our financial system?
Speaker 2: Your bank was in pretty good shape.
Speaker 1: Where we worried that more than many investment banks and commercial bank want to go under.
Speaker 3: At that time, well a lot of them, did you know. And yeah, a lot of companies around the world, a lot of non banks around the world went bankrupt, you know, JP Morgan. We did a lot to keep people afloat. We took a lot of risks to do that. We work with governments around the world. It was it was terrifying, and it was you know, twenty four to seven, and you know, people just trying to do the right thing to make sure, you know, we kept through.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a chance of something like that happy next couple of years, you think we're much better protected from that kind of problem.
Speaker 3: Well, there's there's no chance that you're gonna have that kind of problem, but you know, there are chances to have a problem somewhere somehow. You know. The biggest unknown is is geopolitics, you know, And it's not like you have to be dangerous, you carefully you talk about it's not like that's going to determine what the economy does in twenty twenty six, but it is a moving tectonic plate, you know, alliances. You know, obviously there's terrible war in Ukraine, which we need to do as much as we can to help Ukraine. But aid and embedded by an Russia and Russia somewhat by China. Those folks have told you they want to do. They want to dismantle the system set up they think by America, but they're set up by the Western world after World War two has been quite successful. Yeah, there are a lot of forces at play, and you know, and people are going to have to choose, you know, how they want to play this, play this for now. So yeah, that would be my greatest concern, and that's about the future of the free democratic world. That's not just about America.
Speaker 1: Are you worried about the over regulation that some people in the banking world think that is occurring now or do you think the regulations are okay?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: The problem with regulations when you talk to some people, it's always act like it's more or less well and a lot of you deal with regulations. I think you can create more liquidity in the system, you know, more capital uses, more learning capability, reduced rules and regulations which cause there was complaints about debanking and complaints about X. I think we could make the system better work, better, cheaper, work for more Americans, and safer. What bothers me the most is when we talk about regulations that no one ever steps back and say, what are we trying to accomplish? So why do we want to accomplish it? And what's better this or that? Because no matter what you do, their pros and cons banks are very strong today. But take the system as a whole. We've gone from eight thousand public companies to four thousand public companies. Is that what we wanted? Because that's what we did. We did it with no forethought, without even thinking about it. But it was you know, years of rules and regulations that made it costly and litigious and hard. And you know, we let institutes like ISS and Glass Lewis, you know, vote thirty percent of their shares in America, you know, and and so yeah, I'm quite concerned about that. We get regulations right, we all want safe financial systems, safe food, and safe but it doesn't mean you have to have endless regulations, regulations to be reviewed and improved all the time, as opposed to what we do today. I put that in a lot of policy, we just add things on top of things. And if you look at policy in America, well, affordable housing, it's all about policy, you know, zoning policies, permitting policies, housing policies. You know, it's all about policy. It's got not a damn thing to do that. People don't want to build homes or move into homes, you know, and I guess say it's about a mortgage business. We made it more expensive because the rules and regulations. Education. You know, we don't measure the outcomes of high schools and community colleges and colleges, how many jobs they get at what income levels. And we can do it. So look at work skills. We're gonna need two hundred thousand welders. We need welding in schools. So if governments canna have policies, have policy that aids and abets and sense and has the guardrails to create the right behaviors, you know, not endless policies that like slow things down, which is what we have. You know, we're going we're slowly going the way Europe. You know Europe. You may not know this has gone from ninety percent per person GDP of America to sixty five percent. That's what they've done. It was all policy. A lot of the policy is done in the name of good and that's what we do all the time. We're endless. You know, rules and regulations that create these things. I also think you all should learn to call it not red tape but blue tape. Okay, the Democrats love that crap, and then they want to make it litigious. You know that every flaw, however, that ever happens, is on purpose by by bad people. So policy, we need good policy, and we're gonna be fighting much more for good policy this year at JP Morgan.
Speaker 1: Now, are you worried about the size of the US debt? We have thirty eight trillion dollars of debt. We're adding two trillion every year. Do you see any way that's going to be solved? And do you worry that this is going to impact the value of the dollar at some point?
Speaker 3: So if you look at the economy today, there's a lot of good short term things, like think of this year. You know, the one big beautiful bill. There's a lot of stimulus they've fed is buying bonds again, that's you know, they don't call it Q I would, but it lifts up asset prices and stabilizes certain markets. Uh, Deregulation is real, and it's going to also drive animal spirits. A lot of investment coming to the United States and AI. That's all good, and that's probably going to drive stuff there are I call this geopolitics, and the deficit. I call it more like tectonic plates. They're difficult, they're moving, they may crash. We don't know, and we don't know when. So it isn't a twenty twenty six issue. But our deficit is almost two trillion dollars this year. Total dead is thirty trillion, then next year thirty two, then thirty four and thirty seven, then forty. It is not sustainable. It will not work eventually. I just don't know when. That is. The best anecdote is growth. I mean, if you just model anything, growth will make up for it. And that and growth could I always tell people a good policy is free, like we already spent eight hundred billion dollars in K to twelve, you know, stopping Piel from building stuff. It's free. It will create jobs, will create productivity, and so we have time to get the policy right to grow the economy, and then we have to start making some other choices too.
Speaker 1: Those are President of the United States said I'd like you to be Secretary of the Treasury.
Speaker 2: Or chairman of the Federal Reserve Board. What would you say to.
Speaker 3: That, Well, Chairman of the Fed, I'd put in the absolutely positivity, no chance, no way, no how for any reason. Okay, Secretary Treasury, I would considering if a president calls you up and asks you to do something, you know you should consider it. So I would take the call and consider it and think about why and what they want, etc. But what they want and how they want to operate, that would be important to me. I like my job. I've been my own boss for pretty much twenty five years, and I like it that way.
Speaker 1: So recently there's been some comment by you about the independence of the Federal Reserve Board. What more might you want to say about your view about the importance of the independence of the Federal Reserve Board?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, there are people too much incets building certain things. Everyone I know, including the President and United States, says we need an independent FED board. The question is only about when certain things take place, and think of lawsuits and stuff like that, does it chip away at that independence. It's some spectrum. So you can say a little bit, you can say a lot, but you don't want to chip away too much because if you chip away too much. In my view, this is my opinion. It will drive rates higher, not lower. That's all.
Speaker 2: That's not a job you would take.
Speaker 1: If the President United States said to you, I'd love you to be a You'll be very independent, you wouldn't think that.
Speaker 3: I would so much more prefer this job than that job. That's a hard job, but I don't want to do that job.
Speaker 1: You went to Harvard Business School graduate as a Baker scholar, top five percent of your class. You could have gone to Goldman, Sachs, Morgan, Stanley, all the famous firms. You chose to go work for a person who was a friend of your father's name is Sandy Wall. You did that, and then when Sandy left, you stayed with him, and then ultimately you guys went to City Corp. And then he fired you. Did you ever think then that you'd be coming back and running the most important bank in the world at the time you got fired there or what were you thinking at that time? And I said you should come into private equity. I went to see you and I said, why don't you come to private equity? And you you didn't seem that interested.
Speaker 3: But the biggest money offer I ever got in My life was from this guy over here. It was never about money for me. And I knew after I got fired that they were going to screw up city because I knew how stupid some of the things they were doing was. But no, and I didn't. I didn't think that way. I just you know, I took time. I thought all these various alternatives. I spoke to a lot of people, you know, and then I went to bank one. I loved the home depot guys. They were talking to me and but I had to confess to them and I walked in. I'd never been in a home depot until my friend made me go that weekend before I had dinner with Arthur Blank, Bernie Marcus and Ken Langhn, and I just loved their culture. But I'd never been in a merchant business. And you know, bank Wom's there. I thought it was gonna be tough. I put half my money into it. I have moved my money in Chicago. I loved Chicago. All I thought about is just do the best you can. I mean, I don't like it when senior people complain. I always had a no wine sign. Suck it up and do the job. That's that's all it was, and that's I just go about the work, you know, and division by division, person by person, department, ve part tech by tech, you know, try to build something great. I had my eye in JP Morgan Chase, and you know a couple of years I thought it would never happen because we were so small and not doing well. But you know, four years later we had, you know, done a good job at Bank one. The values were close enough. Bill Harrison I know each other, and we merged the two companies. Then I had a dream that if we did it right, we can make this a great company. Then I really did like that was.
Speaker 1: What do you think is the most important thing you did that put JP Morgan ahead of every other bank in the world. You worked harder, you hire better people around you. What were the things that you think the most important thing that made JP Morgan what it is today.
Speaker 3: A lot of people do things better, So to say we're the best nervatives not right. And I think that's one of the reasons. Sometimes we do better a little bit, which is I'm relentless, go through system by system by system by system, get out in the road, you know, visit other companies. They all do things better. Than you learn, learn, learn, learn, learn, and be runless about doing it. Big companies slow down, they become complacent, they become bureaucratic. All that stuff arrogant, you know, is the Petri Dish of politics. You know, Jeff Bezos said, you know, that kind of stuff leads to stasis and death. If you don't believe me, you know, you look at all the companies who failed, huge wonderful companies. That's what management is. It's relentless attention to detail, getting a strategy right, invest in your capital, not being behold the people. But the most important is that the people at their company can contribute to the best their ability. They know that you, the boss, don't know everything, and they know that you just want to do the right thing for the company, the client, of the community. And that's the only goal. There's no other goal. We don't pand it to Wall Street about quarterly earnings or stuff like that. I've I've never spent any time in that in my life. Just try to do the right thing for the right reason, and do it quickly.
Speaker 1: Your market capitalization is up about I guess it's about the seven percent, and your stock price up about five hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Or something like that, like a thousand percent, but go ahead, right, how much? Well we pay back. We put back a lot of talk and paid a lot of dividends and all of that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so it's pretty good, tom So. People are very happy. And so the question you get asked every day, five times a day is how much longer do you want to do this? And the answer is five more years? Yeah, at least about five more years.
Speaker 3: I love what I do. It's up to the board how long I do it? Although I have the energy and the spit in the eye and the fire and the gut. Yeah, I want to do it.
Speaker 1: You recently built a new building in New York. Why did you decide to build your headquarters in New York? You tore down the building you had built a new building, took a couple of years and costs maybe three billion dollars or something like that, and it's now open. Are you happy you made that decision? And are you going to build a similar building in London?
Speaker 3: Now? Yeah, we are. So if you look at what we have. We spend forty billion dollars year on people, which is important, four billion dollars a year on real estate. We want to have great real estate. The old building wasn't fit for purpose. It was too small, couldn't handle our trading floors. I'd looked everywhere. I looked downtown, I looked a hundred yards. I looked at buying Vanderbilt. But we could tear that building down. We could buy air rights, you know. I thought it was the best location in the best city.
Speaker 1: Many people in the business world, they're out socializing all kinds of other organizations.
Speaker 2: You don't do anything.
Speaker 1: You just run your bank and you spend time with your family.
Speaker 2: Isn't that boring?
Speaker 3: No, my family, I love all of them. I got seven grandkids and one more coming. We take our family vacations together. That's the most important thing. The second most important is my country that I do spend time on, you know, with my own time, my own effort. My company obviously gets involved. I love business. I think if I you know, she's talk about, I don't do a lot of black ties. I don't play golf, I don't do red carpets. I do a little bit, you know, But I love what I do. I mean, it's not like I don't feel like I have any regrets at all about doing that. And I feel. You know, if JP Morgan Chase does well, I could help our employees. I help my clients, I help my communities, I help my country, I help the world if I do a good job. You know, I always tell people, you know, if we don't keep j more healthy and vibrant, I cannot do those things. That's on the other side of that. I lay people off. It's miserable. Your life is terrible, and so I fight hard to make sure we're healthy and vibrant.
Speaker 1: Warren Buffett more or less invented the idea of writting a letter to shareholders that everybody reads. You have done the same and now warmed by if it's probably not going to write, is there anymore and yours is widely read? How much time do you put into writing that letter? And do you get nervous that so many people are going to pay attention to every single word?
Speaker 2: You have to get it exactly right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do all of that. So I bereaing his letters my whole life. And in fact I got his letters from nineteen fifty six when it was a partnership in private, and he said, you just speach to your show like your smart sister or mother or something like that. Explain to them what you're doing and why you're doing it. So I do that. I make a list of questions. I get the questions, I do it myself. I ask shareholders, I get my management team, or like what is the most important stuff for JP Morgan and I kind of make that list, I start writing. I spent a lot of time on it. Very often. I used to answer the question I don't know the answer, and I actually do the work. So now I'm like doing a lot of research while I'm writing the letter to answer the question. What are we going to do? Is what we did the right thing? Should we do more of it? How are you going to use it? You know, AI or open banking? Whatever the question is debanking? What is the real issue? Then I try to explain it in terms to our people. And then I started doing public policy because no bank is actually stronger, much stronger than the country that lives in America. From twenty to twenty twenty grow two percent a year. Had it grown three percent a year, which I think was eminently achievable, our GDP per person would be twenty thousand dollars more a year today per person, which would afford a lot of safety nets, a lot of infrastructure, had a lot of taxes, and we didn't do it. And it's around, you know, basic things. So I started to do more of that. What are the things that we could do that can force the growth, secure the country, make it healthier place, lift up all of our citizens. Almost all of the bad policies. We have, the thing that inner city schools don't work, immigration policy, you know, some of this that we're doing, immigration permitting policies, schools, almost all of that hurts lower paid people more than anyone in this room. So in some ways we could ignore it because it's not really affecting us directly because your kids don't go to those schools, You're not. I was worried about that. You know, they have the lower income folks of worse health care, worse job prospects, has become intergenerational, their schools don't work, they have more crime. And that's what we did. That was us, That was all policy, and you know, and then people stand behind ideology and morality on both sides, you know, thinking that they did stuff to fix it and they didn't, you know, and so I, you know, I have a frustration around that and obviously. I feel the same way about the security and resiliency things, things like permitting. I always make a list of what the more how we do with mortgages and affordable housing, so we may start a new one called the American Dream. We do a lot to do mortgages, affordable housing, health care skills jobs. I would double the urgum task cred or something like that. There are a lot of things we could do that are grows to three percent and help all of our citizens and secure the nation. And we better do it pretty quick because on the security side we don't have forever.
Speaker 1: Of all the things you do, is the most enjoyed able getting to meet with members of Congress when you come down here. Is that an uplifting experience when you come down and meet with members.
Speaker 2: How do you like that?
Speaker 3: So you should know I do it all the time, you know, as part of my job. I like years ago, I said, you know, government is another line of business. It is we take it seriously. And to make an important point here, and the Chamber does this, which I think they do a great job. But there are a lot of people in the Congress, House and Senate who want to do the right job and they need help to do the right job. I'm not insulting their intelligence. They're quite bright, but you know they need the research, the facts, the analysis to figure out what to do when these complex issues come up. So I think we all need to do it. And the only thing I'd urge you all to do when you do it, don't always make it parochial about your own self interest. It should also be about what's in the interests in the United States of America. You're all gonna do fine anyway. What happens from you know, unions and government and businesses where it's the self interest is so high it actually is part of why we have two percent growth. And I think we should all like open eyes a little bit, make sure we do the right things. You know, it's okay to fight for which for you, you know, for your own interest. But uh, but there's too much of that going on.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't be working all the time. Do you have any hobbies, do anything other than thorry about worry about the JP Morgan.
Speaker 3: My daughters, who I also love deeply and I have wonderful son in laws, once said to me, Dad, you need more hobbies, And I was like, wait, what are you talking about. We take all our family vacations together, you know, around the world. We enjoy it. I love history, I love wine, I love music, I love reading, I love arts, I love We watched movies together. That's really like, I'm not looking to do other stuff. And we hike together, so that's really like, those are my sports. We all do the gym together. We have lunches and dinners together. We have family dinners like almost every Saturday or Sunday night. That's what I like and that's what I'm going to do until I'm no longer here.
Speaker 1: And do you have you ever had your credit card denied? I mean you have a lot of anybody ever denied Jamie Diamonds.
Speaker 3: Yes, my own credit cards designed me several times. And what do you do?
Speaker 2: What do you you tell them who you are? Well?
Speaker 3: What doesn't work? To tell me who you are? And they don't know who I am?
Speaker 2: Now? Did your parents live this year success? And what did they say?
Speaker 1: Did they say we always knew you were going to be the CEO of JP Morgan it was going to do well?
Speaker 3: Or what did they say My mom had a little of that you'll be in general one day or something like that. But they both died in twenty sixteen, literally together in the same bed, the same within twelve hours of each other, so they got to see, you know, a lot of it. We're quite proud. You know. My grandparents were all Greek immigrants that didn't finish high school. So I'm part of that story. And they instilled in all of us, you know, values and the values that I have a purpose, work hard, make the world a better place, treat everyone, treat everyone properly and equally.
Speaker 1: What would you like people to know the most about JP Morgan if they walk away from here today? What would you like people to take back in their head about JP Morgan, about what it is, what it's done, or what it stands for.
Speaker 3: That we will stand by good clients and thicker thin that we always try to be better. We are strong, but that strength is for you. That we want their community to be better, We want your companies to be better, we want their country to be better. We'll do our part making this a better world, and we do it with a forethought and with every sinew of our body is to try to do the best we can. And if you and if we and we got knows we make mistakes. We will say we made a mistake, we're sorry, and we'll fix it. That's what we'll do.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to hear more of my interviews. You can subscribe and download my podcast on Spotify, Apple, or wherever you listen.