Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists.
Speaker 1: At Comedy Central, It's America's only source for news. It's a daily choir with your host, Daisy Lighte and Ronnie Jack.
Speaker 3: I'm Jesse Lighter and I'm right Chair, and I'm Jessie Lighter, and I'm Roncher, and I'm Dazzy Light and I'm right Ja, and I'm Ronnie Check and I'm Dasie light After let's get into the headlines.
Speaker 4: That's kit things off of some major international news. You know when you're in middle school and your two worst enemies have a sleepover and spend the whole night talking shit about you, Well, that just happened to America tonight.
Speaker 5: Two of America's fiercest adversaries together on North Korean soil, Vladimir Putin arriving in Pyongyang for the.
Speaker 2: First time in nearly a quarter of a century.
Speaker 5: North Korea's Kim Jonglan pulling out all the stops in an elaborately choreographed state visit for Russian President Vladimir Putin. The outcast and sanctioned leaders side by side, were viewing troops cheered by crowds of children with balloons. The two unveiled a strategic defense treaty, promising mutual assistance in case either country faces aggression.
Speaker 4: Best friends forever, Russia and North Korea. It's the perfect alliance. They go together like vodka and famine.
Speaker 2: Everyone wins.
Speaker 4: I mean, Russia gets North Korean weapons and North Korea gets whatever Putin has of those nesting dolls and Kako Housen's phone number I don't know. And now that Russia has North kore weapons, watch out, Ukraine. Get ready for some missiles that blow up on the launching pad. But my favorite part about this visit was just getting to watch two dictators hang out together, because when put In firstlanda, they were all formal and polite with each other. I mean, look at them trying to get the other to get into.
Speaker 6: The limo first.
Speaker 4: No go, no, no, after you I insist it's friendly, But it's also obvious that these guys have.
Speaker 2: Blown up a lot of cars.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, you start dignition, No no, no, you do it.
Speaker 2: No you do it.
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, we'll both turn it at the same time. But over the next couple of days the two had a lot of fun together. Kim picked him up, and they took a drive, just two communists in cars getting coffee. They drove through a botanic garden. They looked like they adopted a couple of dogs together. And clearly Putting had a great time because when he left he looked really sad.
Speaker 6: Kim, goodbye.
Speaker 4: Then he stood there waving way too long, and then he went inside the plane and waved from the window. Can you at least act like you have another friend?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 4: Look on you waving to your mom on the bus of the sleep away camp.
Speaker 3: Also based on Kim Jong UN's face, Putin must have been a pretty high maintenance guest.
Speaker 8: Just look at him. Bye, come back soon? Oh god, I thought he Neverly.
Speaker 3: Next time, he says at the raticon let's move on to climate change. If you couldn't tell from all this sweat on your ass cheeks today the earth is still getting hotter. So climate activists have taken their protests to the next obvious place, a pile of rocks.
Speaker 9: A pair of climate protesters have been arrested after spray paying the historic Stonehenge monument in southern England. Video of the incident shows two people running toward the stone circle while spray orange paint. A third person can be seen trying to stop them, then a fourth The climate activist group Just Stop Oil has taken responsibility for the incident.
Speaker 3: Ohoh, guys, I appreciate the cause, but what did Stonehenge ever do? I mean, literally, what did Stonehenge do? I get the stone part, but what.
Speaker 8: The fuck is Ahnge?
Speaker 3: Regardless, I don't think this helps the cause. All they did was make it look like Stonehenge went to town on some doritos. Guys, these stunts don't work. I promise you. Exxon saw this and thought that's a good point.
Speaker 8: I wonder if there's oil under Stonehenge.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think painting Stonehenge orange is going to do anything.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: Okay, last year the sky in New York turn orange and we still didn't care. Okay, everybody was like, oh, that's weird, that's ton of the air conditioning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell you who they should be going after, billionaires and their private jets.
Speaker 10: Two more members of the organization Just Stop Oil have in place under arrest for spray painting private jets, and Taylor Swift might have been a target.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, Taylor, take another billionaire jet Stop Oil said that the.
Speaker 9: Airfield is where Taylor Swift jet was parked, but Essex police in the United Kingdom said the pop Stars aircraft was not at the airport.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank god, Taylor does not have to fly commercial guys. Spray paint is not going to ground these planes. Okay, you gotta do something radical like cut some wires or install some bowling pots.
Speaker 3: And finally, some major education news from Louisiana, where school children are getting a lesson from the greatest textbook ever new.
Speaker 4: This morning, the governor of Louisiana signed a law requiring the Ten Commandments be posted.
Speaker 2: In all public school classrooms. The only state now is such a.
Speaker 11: Law mandates poster size blaze of the Ten Commandments in large, easily readable font.
Speaker 8: This is in all public classrooms.
Speaker 11: This is from kindergarten up until state funded universities.
Speaker 8: Easily readable font. I hate to break it to you.
Speaker 3: But Louisiana ranked thirty eighth in reading.
Speaker 8: I don't think the font is going to help.
Speaker 3: See I can make that joke because I'm from Kentucky.
Speaker 8: We're ranked thirty second. Suck at Louisiana. We read gooder.
Speaker 3: Laura, Louisiana is new Ten Commandments law and what it means for the separation of church and state. We go live to Louisiana with Michael Costa. Michael, how can Republicans justify religion in public schools?
Speaker 6: Whoa, whoa, whoa?
Speaker 10: The Ten Commandments aren't religion, all right. Just because they're in the Bible doesn't mean they're religious, Okay.
Speaker 6: The Ten Commandments are.
Speaker 10: Universal moral principles that these Louisiana Republicans want everybody to live by, just like their party does.
Speaker 8: So they live up to these same moral standards.
Speaker 10: Yeah, of course, it's not that hard. Like, you know, thou shalt not kill a right, pretty cut and dry. Don't kill anybody unless you're standing in your ground. You got to protect yourself. Or if a protester is blocking traffic, I got places I got to you know what, Let's forget about this one. It's complicated. So but look the rest of these, the rest of these are clear cut, sure.
Speaker 8: Sure, Like thou shalt not commit adultery?
Speaker 10: Yes, h well, obviously not if it's a porn star and your wife is pregnant.
Speaker 6: I mean God is gonna give you that one.
Speaker 10: But but fine, DESI, if you're gonna nitpick.
Speaker 6: Let's cross out commit adultery, all right.
Speaker 10: And if you're gonna have to if you're gonna commit adultery, y'alls have to lie about it. So you can't do false witness either, false witness running. That's just Bible talk for lying to your wife. But the rest of these are rock solid, all right, and that's why he put them on a rock. Like number five. Okay, honor thy father and mother. You can't get more moral than that.
Speaker 4: Oh, like getting parents a maternity leave in universal childcare.
Speaker 10: No no, no, no, not not honoring them like that, honoring them like texting them at eleven fifty five PM on Father's Day. You know what, let's forget it. There's too much confusion. Let's just cross off number five, all right. And while we're at it, I don't even know what graven image means, So that one's gone. Don't say the Lord's name in vain. I mean, that's just cancel culture. Right, So it is, Oh, here we go, here we go. Look, remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. We should all take Sundays off. Here we go or some grub hub watch the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but delivery drivers can't work on Sundays either.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, I guess no football because you can't play games on Sunday.
Speaker 10: All right, look, let's just cut all the chaff out of here. Okay, all right, none of this needs Okay, there we go.
Speaker 6: There it is boom perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but all you have left is the vow.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 10: This was a nation founded an individual determination. Putting thou self first is the American way.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 8: You can't even know what thou means.
Speaker 6: Well, we're going to teach them.
Speaker 10: And if there's one thing Republican support, it's teaching kids new pronouns. Oh shit, wait a second, thank you that thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Michael Kosta, everybody.
Speaker 2: They'll put you.
Speaker 6: Come back.
Speaker 8: Gordon checks out the latest Trump rally.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Day Show.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump is fresh office felony convictions and back on the campaign trail, and that means Jordan Klepper is out there with him too. In another edition of Jordan Klepper Fingers the Pulse.
Speaker 12: Donald Trump has a big month ahead, a debate, an immunity ruling, sentencing, and a convention in the.
Speaker 2: Horrible city of Milwaukee. His words, not mine.
Speaker 12: So I went to my first rally since he became a convicted felon in the good old battleground state of Wisconsin, and as usual, Maga was good to Maga.
Speaker 8: Make America great again.
Speaker 2: I need to make some money. You got a truck? You want to show me.
Speaker 12: I wish the world a better place because I was here, Jesus Christ, President Trump, same fun. Huh okay, Jeneral, I'll worried about that whole worshiping false idols thing.
Speaker 6: Not at all.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the upcoming debate?
Speaker 6: I'm a heard that.
Speaker 2: You know, people say Biden won't show up. Do you think Trump is going to show up?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, yeah he I think he's going.
Speaker 6: To show up.
Speaker 2: He's not afraid to debate anybody.
Speaker 12: Oh no, no, no, no, I mean except for Nikki Haley.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 12: There's one thing still on everyone's mind, Trump's recent felony conviction in New York for falsifying business records. People are talking about what happened with Donald Trump's conviction recently.
Speaker 2: That totally bullshit. All thirty four of them mess, Get rid of it. Why is it a mess? It's a mess because he didn't do anything wrong. Who's he cheating? I mean other than is why I'm not getting into.
Speaker 6: That, don Josh Cabod It's not fair Stam.
Speaker 13: You know it takes one crime to send you to jail a prison.
Speaker 2: Is it that? The trope? Suddenly America of the Land, where you commit a crime and you go to prison? Kidding me? That was a kangaroo trial.
Speaker 6: This is absolute stalinism.
Speaker 2: So do you have faith in the Department of Justice? No? Now there's the Hunter Biden trial. What is it? The Hunter Biden was was found guilty?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: What do you think of that?
Speaker 7: Well, there was the evidence was overwhelming.
Speaker 12: You take the evidence, you put it through the justice system, and he's found guilty. We should accept that. Yes, wait a minute, hold on, but I thought the justice system was right. We shouldn't trust it.
Speaker 7: It wasn't taking place in a in a community that voted.
Speaker 2: But the judge was a Trump appointed judge, was he? Yeah? What do you think of the whole Hunter and Biden situation? Are you relieved Hunter Biden is found guilty? What if they're not going to do anything?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 12: You can sit around dumble pistol in the garbage spoke crack you get away with.
Speaker 7: All that shit.
Speaker 12: But it sounds that he was convicted. Yeah, is that the justice system working?
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Justice system won't work until I put away? Which are we talking about? Trump?
Speaker 14: Trump?
Speaker 2: When Trump has put away the justice is no? No, come on, sorry.
Speaker 12: I tried to give christ dude, which part of the justice system do we totally implicitly trust to? Which one is a total sham? It's it's hard to give him strike. But did this conviction dole out justice or just create a martyr?
Speaker 7: There's a classic cartoon that shows other convicted felons. There's Gandhi, there's Nelson Mandela, and then there's Trump.
Speaker 2: Do you put Trump in line with Gandhi and Nelson Mandela?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Between Gandhi and Mandela and Trump?
Speaker 12: Which was the one who had sex with the port star and then paid to cover do it?
Speaker 6: Oh? None of Do you vote one of the.
Speaker 12: And one of them recently made bank off his crush with the law spoiler alert it wasn't Gandhi.
Speaker 2: So the conviction helped Donald Trump?
Speaker 15: Well, everyone's up pouring in money to support him. So and I know I've done that a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Trump goes to trial for sexual assault. How much a given what is that is that?
Speaker 13: Oh, probably one thousand dollars.
Speaker 12: Thousand bucks for that? Okay, classified docs, I'm m sure you give.
Speaker 13: It another thousand.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a thousand across the board? Yes, okay. Overthrow democracy that biggie?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that a two grand?
Speaker 13: That's probably five grand?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 15: Okay. Basically, we just need to save our country from the border surgeon, right right, Yeah, need to be showing out money to give immigrants who don't deserve it.
Speaker 2: You're sick and tired of your money going to people who committed crimes, that's right. Yeah, did you donate? Yes? What about for the sexual assault case? Did you get for that?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 13: This is all just so old news.
Speaker 6: You know it doesn't affect me.
Speaker 2: It's old news.
Speaker 12: Sexual assaults, sextual assault. Let's move on with the future.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all enough.
Speaker 12: But what is slightly less hilarious is Trump's second term plan, which sounds a lot like going after everyone who went after him.
Speaker 6: Based on what they've done.
Speaker 2: I would have every right to go after them.
Speaker 6: I am your retribution.
Speaker 12: Donald Trump is put into office, should he go after his political opponents?
Speaker 2: Absolutely rock our world? Come up before there's.
Speaker 12: Up, Donald Trump, If he gets into office again, should he show any mercy to political opponents?
Speaker 13: I don't think so you should go after them.
Speaker 12: How important is vengeance to you? When Trump gets into office.
Speaker 13: It's probably third on the list.
Speaker 12: Okay, good, So I'm guessing that's between martial law and right before fixing toilet pressure. But there's a simple reason. It's so easy for them to give him a pass.
Speaker 2: But I love Trump, so you know, there you go.
Speaker 13: It's like if you have a child and they pull some Shenanigan. You don't like what they do. You love the person, but you don't necessarily like what they do.
Speaker 12: The child analogy is kind of perfect. But to be clear, we are talking about the person you want to be.
Speaker 2: I want him to be president. Yes, at least someone is it a good time?
Speaker 14: Thank you Jordan.
Speaker 4: When we come back, I have been most Backrob be join you on the.
Speaker 17: Show, so don't go away. Welcome back to that daily show.
Speaker 4: I'll guess tonight is an Emmy Award winning actor, you know as cousin Richie on the Bear. Please welcome have been most background.
Speaker 8: Baby.
Speaker 6: Very nice. You guys are very very nice. It's nice.
Speaker 14: Must be nice to be uh an any winners on the Best Show in America.
Speaker 8: Congrats on your huge Emmy win. I don't know if you know this.
Speaker 3: We were sitting down the way from you and we looked over and we said to each other, We're like, oh my.
Speaker 8: God, the bear is right there. These are really good seats.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: We were kind of peppered throughout the Top Chef like team too. There's a lot of Top Chef folks. I tell you, yeah, well right in my row.
Speaker 6: I don't remember that. I remember that you ignored me.
Speaker 8: YEA very upset about this.
Speaker 6: I have no no memory of you guys A man on the bed. Yeah, yeah, next time.
Speaker 8: It's the usual Will reaction that Ronnie gets. So it's okay.
Speaker 6: You have like a profoundly forgettable face.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, totally forgettable.
Speaker 3: We're such huge fans of the show and huge fans of your your character. The clip that we saw was from your episode Forks last season, which you you cousin Richie goes on this like epic journey just in.
Speaker 8: The course of this one episode.
Speaker 3: You have such a beautiful arc does does cousin Richie get to continue down that path of evolution in the next season?
Speaker 8: What are you allowed to say.
Speaker 6: Say whatever, you know, whatever I want to say.
Speaker 16: What I feel, what I feel like saying yeah, exactly, exactly exactly. You know, Uh, I don't know what your personal evolution is, like. I mean, I think for Richie, you know, he's become aware that there's a path for him to find purpose and sort of live a maybe fuller life, richer life in a way. But just because he's like aware of that path doesn't mean that he's like cruising up to the top.
Speaker 6: You know. I think it's like a struggle forward back, you know, when when you've yelled for forty six.
Speaker 16: Years, you know, I think it's hard to maybe put the outdoor voice totally, like to retire it totally.
Speaker 8: No, I think it's is that kind.
Speaker 3: Of liberating for you though, to play a character like that, Do you ever just want to mouth off in real life?
Speaker 16: Yeah, Like I'm I think of myself as a fairly socialized, polite person.
Speaker 6: I'm living.
Speaker 16: I live in New York, you know, with many millions of other people, and you kind of have to, you know, fall inline and if you sort of say what you feel every second every.
Speaker 3: Day, you hear that, Ronnie, that's great advice.
Speaker 6: So it is nice.
Speaker 16: It is nice to walk in the shoes of like this man who is like fully expressed to a fault most of the time.
Speaker 6: It's nice. Yeah, I blow some steam.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah when you I mean, I'm not just saying this would be nice, but I feel like it is very beloved show. Like at the moment, I feel like America. I can't agree on anything other than the Bear is good. Like everyone's always like all the bad everyone else the.
Speaker 6: Bear great show.
Speaker 4: And when you when the just as an actor, when the script comes in, like when you read that script, do you see did it pop on the page or you like I just need some money?
Speaker 6: Yeah, like a combination.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 16: It was like one of those rare scripts where I did. I read it and like within a few pages, especially of this character, he just felt so vital and alive. Like a lot of the time, I find myself like having to create a character a lot, you know, like this the script is kind of open ended and you sort of have to figure things out and build and create a lot, and this one he just felt really fully formed and I just had a strong connection. I also felt like I knew people like this. I've run into folks like this a lot and spent some time and loved dearly like some some richy kind of characters throughout my life.
Speaker 4: And because the director is also the writer of this, and so how much of that came off on the page when you because it's a very distinct visual style, the pacing love is in the edit, you know, and it's so fast paces and anxiety driven. Honestly, when you watch it sometimes it's like, wor wasn't watching the news? When you're watching so many days there was one episode, I don't think there's any cuts in it. All these are shots, so as there's no cuts, you know, it's trying to make the restaurant at its worse more like anxiety driven energy. So the did that come off on the page when you were reading it?
Speaker 6: I don't understand your question. I don't even know if that was a question.
Speaker 4: I'm asking When you read one, can you do you know what the words mean?
Speaker 6: That's really comprehensions.
Speaker 3: We don't have to memorize. We just read whatever they put in the prompter.
Speaker 16: So it's very Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: I thought, you know what, Okay, the level of anxiety.
Speaker 16: I didn't find that when I read the script because I love it at a I read the first two scripts through the audition process, and you know, and it was I just thought it was really funny and very sort of tender in a way, this this story about this kind of found family, a bunch of freaks in a way like or they misfits or whatever you whatever.
Speaker 6: Were supposed to say that, like they that like found this home, you know.
Speaker 16: And only when I watched like the first episode many months later, and it was so like frenetic and crazy and super cutting and choppy.
Speaker 6: It reminded me a.
Speaker 16: Lot of like like skate videos from the nineties. It was like so kind of wild, and especially in the first episode where they're cutting like video games into it and it was like super loud. I was like, oh wow, that is not in any way what I envisioned the thing to be. Like so and I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I was like, I call my wife in and friends. I was like, what is this viable? Like are we going to go back? Because this was just the pilot. I was like, what do you think we're going to make this season or And they were into it, but it took me a little while to marry the thing I saw with the thing I read interesting.
Speaker 3: You there's so there's such good chemistry between all of you.
Speaker 8: And the cast. It really really feels like it's tight knit family.
Speaker 3: Now for Ronnie and I to reach this sort of palpable chemistry, we do trust falls in the back with it. Is it natural for you all to fall into a rhythm or did you have to really work and rehearse to get there?
Speaker 16: We did work. I think we did have like an eight chemistry. I think that's one of the strengths of the show is that Chris and our other showwner Joanna and our great casting director Jeanie, they put together a company and I mean, I don't know, everyone weirdly does really love each other and get along and obviously through shared experience and time together that kind of like that's how friendship grows.
Speaker 6: Is that instructive for you guys?
Speaker 3: This is the thing about like getting to travel and shoot somewhere else where you don't live, You guys, shoot and shookgo.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: One person from Chicago, two people to people. We have a very important question for you. And I hate to get political, but deep Dish or New York Pizza careful now.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 16: I've met a lot of Chicagoans who would say that Deep Dish is trash. They I kind of they think, I know, they got a tavern style thing over there, which is which is thinner, which I like.
Speaker 6: There's also Detroit style a lot. There's a lot of these Detroits now in Chicago. There's a lot of Detroit I I kind of have I like that more. I've had some good Deep Dish.
Speaker 8: That's a very politically say Yeah, that was that was That was nothing.
Speaker 6: That was some flip flop. Chicago is serious.
Speaker 8: You're you're about to start a Marvel movie.
Speaker 6: Ye, fantastic for.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what kind of what kind of training do you do you get to do?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I'm playing Ben Gram who becomes the thing who as a man in Caston Rock.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I don't know. I've just been looking at rocks, you know, just kind.
Speaker 8: Of like the Stonhenge bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they tell you exactly exactly. And he's spray fing an orange. My guy's kind of orange too. I should maybe take this trip out there, he knew. Yeah what am I doing? I don't know. I've been reading a lot of comics. It's been a nice.
Speaker 16: Just you know, they gave me like this kind of Marvel unlimited thing so I can just go my iPad and go to any comic book that Marble's ever released that feels that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, someone was in shang Chief for five seconds. I want to welcome you to the Marvel you.
Speaker 17: Know, well the great time.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: I did so.
Speaker 16: I did a Marvel thing for Netflix years ago called The Punisher, Thank You. But when I was on a summer trip with my family in Croatia when I got like the when they asked me to do it. And so I got a call at two in the morning from this like Beverly Hills number, and it was the head of Netflix Marvel. And it was like two in the morning and my you know, my wife and my daughters were sleeping in the same room. And he was like, Evan, I'm going to tell you three words that are going to change your life.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Marvel. And I was like, oh, thanks so much, man, that sounds right, and it was. He was so disappointed in me. It was so like, now you.
Speaker 3: Can scream, Now you can scream, well, congratulations on all of your success.
Speaker 8: I cannot wait, honey, thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: Season three At the Bear dropped on June twenty seven. Evan Moss Backrackel.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back at.
Speaker 3: Night, but before we go tomorrow June twenty first, we're teaming up with Headcount and Animal Haven to register voters and get dogs adopted. Join us at Indogcision twenty twenty four, rescuing democracy from two to six pm at two hundred Center Street in New York City.
Speaker 4: Unlike politics, that will only be good boys and girls there now here. It is your moment of that.
Speaker 10: What do you say to the parents of students or even teachers who don't share your religious views?
Speaker 2: Don't look at it.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 13: Paramount Broadcasts