Speaker 1: The guys from paying.
Speaker 2: They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters. I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Ping Proovy Grounds podcast. I'm Shane Baker, that's Marty Jerks, and we have Tyrol hatton with us. I've been really excited about this. I find you very interesting, very fascinating, and I always say you're my favorite golfer to watch play golf. So I want to start with this. If you were commentating on golf, what do you think you'd say about yourself on the golf course?
Speaker 1: Probably just along the lines of he doesn't look very happy. I think just keep it very simple.
Speaker 2: Are you happy when you play?
Speaker 1: Not very often?
Speaker 2: No, even when you're playing well.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good at still finding something to moan about.
Speaker 2: So, but you, but you seem like a happy person, Like you're you're a lovely person. I mean, I've got a chance to interact with you a few times. But you're not a grumpy guy. You're not a mean guy. You're like a nice sky So why is it that when you're on the golf course it seems or feels like you're a bit.
Speaker 1: Grumpy, I don't know, being ultra competitive and I guess a perfectionist and one in and yeah, and everyone hit a bad shot, and there's certain times in tournaments where it's it's more frustrating than others.
Speaker 3: Were you, like tho, as a junior golfer or grown up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is this kind of a bold no?
Speaker 1: No, no, as I'm potentially calmer now, which is probably scary to hear that. Yeah, I had a few dodgy moments in my teens on the golf course and at tournaments, but we probably shouldn't go down that route.
Speaker 2: If you I mean, like you said, you're working on it, trying to improve. You're better than you were when you were a kid. Is that something that you actually spend time trying to get better at in terms of the way you feel on the golf course?
Speaker 1: Ah? No, I mean I think there's as I said, there's times in a tournament where I can kind of deal with it better than maybe other times. Yeah. And then sometimes you know, we're all human and have a really bad night sleep and you're naturally, just a bit more grumpy that day than you typically would be. Some other thing. Certain things bother you more than they should. So, yeah, my everyone has bad days.
Speaker 2: I guess tyroll your your game like I'm looking. I mean, like I know we talk. I mean, I know a lot of people talk to you about the way you act or look like on the golf course. The golf game has been spectacular, and I mean you've had fifteen starts on the PGA Tour this year, fourteen cuts, me ten top twenty five's, six top tens, you've had a runner up. I mean, it's polished right now. Where do you feel like you are right now with your golf game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a it's been a good run this year. This year, I've tried to make more of an effort off the golf course with just like training in the gym and yeah, trying to certainly in a tournament week, be a little bit better with what I eat and drink. I think in twenty twenty, which was my best best year on the FedEx, I know there was limited events with everything that went on, but that was probably the fittest I'd ever been in my life. I was training a lot, and sort of midway through twenty twenty one, early twenty one that kind of really tailed off and I'd sort of slipped back into not training and yeah, just things like that. And so this year just made a conscious effort to try and be better off the golf course. And yes, I feel fitter, and I think that's definitely how my golf game. I still I still enjoy myself in terms of like, I'm not super strict in the sense of I'm not gonna I If I want something to eat type thing or certain drink, then I probably will, but I'll make sure that I've I've earned it rather than just doing it for this because you can. So yeah, I think that's been a that's played a huge part in how I've played this year.
Speaker 3: So you talked about twenty twenty being very high up on the FedEx. How much do you am always curious about this? How much do you look at your stats? You know, are you just looking at finishes FedEx points or are you getting down into strokes gain stats different you know, better or worse in certain areas and using that to improve your game, or a little more just kind of going off your feel of what's what's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would probably be more feel I'd always be curious at the end of a around or end of the tournament to see how I stacked up against the field. It's funny because I always feel like my I don't have a bad short game, but then I'm a pretty aggressive player and I will miss it in some pretty horrible spots. Yeah, So even though I feel like I've got a decent short game, like my short game stats would be horrendous. Ah, yeah, because it's been like, oh, you're eight yards away, which is pretty close, but you've chipped it to twenty feet, which actually.
Speaker 2: Was caused by the ball. It was kind of caused by the ball striking.
Speaker 1: You hit in the wrong spot, right, Yeah, But essentially I'm only eight yards away from the pin, so I'm not that far out. I've just missed it in a horrible spot. So now I can't actually chip it that close. Then I fit a really good chip shop it's still twenty feet. So then I feel like sometimes stats can be a bit more punishing and how than how you truly feel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're iron player. Iron stout's a bit phenomenal. Do you would you consider yourself a little bit more aggressive than the than the average player in that regard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say so. I think certainly when you're you feel you feel confident, that that's the time when you should be sort of maybe more aggressive. Naturally, we all go through times where you don't feel as comfortable and you might be ham or conservative. But yeah, I mean, so far this year, we've we've we've played nicely, and I think there's there's certain times on a golf course where you have to try and take advantage of where you've positioned positioned yourself off the tea.
Speaker 3: What about left pins? Right pins? Any more comfort? Do shape them? In?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 3: Do you play one shot shape? Do you prefer left or right? No one over the other.
Speaker 1: I never, I never think about shaping the golf ball. If I if I do think about shaping it generally goes horribly wrong. To be honest, I I've always just picked a point and just hit it at that with with irons, which is generally the pin, and then with drivers with the driver, I've always had a shot shape naturally falling left to right, and so I just again I am a hair left of target, and I always try and score a goal I'll try and pick two points and yeah, and kind of see how many see how many goals we can score in around. I always found that that was quite a nice visual for me, certainly times when you play if a fair ways like quite wide, and you know, you just need to sort of narrow in a bit better. I think choosing a small goal is always a good thing. I always liked the quote from American Sniper always says aim small miss small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the goal look like in your brain? Is it a soccer goal?
Speaker 1: Not so much. It would just be for example, like two trees they might be five yards eight ten yards apart, but that they're like posts, right, And I just need to and that's my visual.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, I mean I remember I was. I was talking to Paul easing Or he told me when he won the PGA Championship. He saw he was hitting at a barn the week before the PGA and he said he would start it on the left side of the barn and it would in on the right. He said, the whole week he just kept seeing that barn, you know, and sort of think about the goal in your brain, you know, to hit the goal. It simplifies the game for you. I mean, you're not thinking about cutting or hooking the golf ball. It's just simply if I can hit it in the goal, I'm gonna win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean in theory. Yeah. And if you are hitting your goal, certainly off the tee, then it gives you confidence when you stand on the next one.
Speaker 3: It is nice. Said the proving grounds. We have the posts on the fence in the back. They're exactly twenty yards wide, which is you're playing a major, I mean twenty yards. If you can hit a twenty yard wide fairway, unless you're doing really, unless you're wing for sure, you'd be good to go.
Speaker 1: We maybe we shouldn't go talking about wing foot.
Speaker 2: You're we'll get to golf courses. I was. I was asking some of the guys around the truck, and they said that you pay the most attention to your equipment of anybody in terms of a ping professional. Will you come in here and kind of watch them build your clubs or what are you the most focused on in terms of builds when you get something new made or something new Bill.
Speaker 1: It probably stems from my dad. So my dad runs a business back home, custom club fitting and teaching, so he's he's been doing that since I was I think ten maybe eleven years old. So yeah, growing up watching him always build clubs. Yeah, so naturally kind of Yeah, be in the truck and see see how things.
Speaker 2: He's easy to hover. Do you have a spot in your house that you can build?
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't build. I would quite appy someone else.
Speaker 2: I got you, I got you. You've been a big seven wood guy as well. I'm hearing seven wind of the bag this week.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I've used seven woods since it's almost near the start of twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, you're like an og seven would guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I copied FITSI I think in that sense he's been using it longer than me. But yeah, I generally struggled with rescues like naturally, my my mishits would be slightly more towards the toe and so early on, I just and going back earlier, like my natural shop shape. Certainly with the driver and woods would be sort of falling right. So with the toe strike with the rescue, I'd always see it going a little bit left and that that's never a comfortable visual for me. And so yeah, I tried the seven word. It's it's quite short. It's it's only maybe an inch and a half longer than my fore iron. So for a wood that feels really short, but it feels like it'd be really easy to hit. And yeah, with the loft, it's still it still goes through the rough.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I think the length on yours is forty and a half for forty in a quarter, so it's it's an inch. It's over an inch shorter than like a standard seven wood. I think that's a theme we're seeing Shane with the with Turtle and some of the players is high lofted fairy woods. They're a little bit shorter, they can manage the gap and then they don't go too far for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly. So it always it's always fitted in nicely between the four iron and the three wood. It generally carries around two hundred and thirty five, sometimes to forty, so it's that's yeah, that's a nice number for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tyrell, when did you go beard? When did you decide I'm going to be a beard guy? Because I feel like I don't really remember you beardless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hides the double chin. Okay, Yeah, so that was a big part of the Scars the decision making.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, yeah, I don't think i'd see a double.
Speaker 1: Chin right now with sharp yeah stuff. I think it was after the Ryder Cup in twenty eighteen. I was I'm just not going to shave for the rest of the year, which Emily, my out wife, she was probably not enjoying that visual come Christmas. But we had some fun with it. It was We've got some white beard spray and we put some Christmas ball. So, yeah, it was a good. Look.
Speaker 2: You have a photo of this, I do, Okay, I might have to see that at some point. It look good when so you so you're telling me you haven't been clean shaved since eighteen? Have you have you you hadn't ripped it all the way down like no, I mean us open green level or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No, I yeah, I prefer it longer. Yeah, I just feel like it. It looks better.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I think you're you're a beard guy for life. Potentially.
Speaker 1: I just wish I had a stronger tash. Tash is pretty weak.
Speaker 2: You're saying you this can't grow. The DEPI up here is a little low.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gets windy.
Speaker 3: Outside of my blowoff, Tyl you're you're if you continue to improve year over year is quite impressive. What what do you think the key to that is? Like, you know, over the last six, seven, eight years, every year it seems like your strokes, gin, your finishes, your world rankings continue to improve. What is uh, what's kind of the key ingredient to that improvement?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean I feel like being out here long enough now that you you get comfortable and you having good results, it gives you confidence in yourself that you know that you can on your good weeks that you're you're going to be up there and giving yourself a chance to win. So I think just having that experience and yeah, just feeling comfortable with where I'm at and I said, now I know that I'm doing the right things off the golf course and that goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're winning Bae Hill. I mean it was so tough that week. I mean that golf course obviously always plays very, very tough. Do you prefer a golf course to play really hard then to play easy? In twenty twenty two Underwents.
Speaker 1: Ah, I think it's nice to have the balance throughout the year. Yeah, bay Hill always is carnage at the weekend, just trying to hold on.
Speaker 2: Just hitting four or five irons all day everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not even that like the holes, even when you're hitting wedge or like to even eight iron and lower, like, it's just they're still so hard to get the ball close and it's so easy to miss greens. So yeah, like I said, it's nice to have the balance, but as long as the golf course is set up kind of fair, then then it's all good.
Speaker 2: Can you give us an example of, like, when you think about a fair course set up in your brain, what tournament or golf course comes to mind?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess in my mind I would always I'd always like the with par fives that if you've if it's a narrow fairway, if you hit the fairway, then you should be rewarded with being able to go for the green. Okay, Like there's no point in I always I don't really enjoy part fives where even if you hit the fairway, you're you're laying up. They're just boring, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because then it almost feels like you're playing a part of three because you're kind of all laying up to the same spot. Yeah, and you're in theory you're hitting the third shop in the fairway.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the only thing you do is if you do it the fairway, you're making your lay up like a little bit easier. And like growing up watching a lot of golf, I still watch golf on my weeks off now and I always just think it's boring when if you're watching the tournament and guys are fit a good t shot and then there they have to lay up. So yeah, that's just my view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ChIL, let's talk about let's talk about your putter in just things you like. You've worked with Tony Sarrano a lot on pod models. I think you've been part of the development of our OSLO model. You've played the Oslo for quite some time, right, Yeah, and what particular little things are important to you in the putter, you know, even down to putting the grip on at a certain clocking orientation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I enjoyed working with Tony. I've used the Oslo since the first week in the bag was the Dunhill twenty sixteen, which was my first first win on the European Tour. Yeah, so yeah, that is a special week and I basically used the Oslo almost the whole time since there's been a few little changes in there, just to scare it, you know, you need that. You need that sometimes you've nervous. Yeah, it's to freshen it up a little bit. But always always went back to it, and there was just things that I felt the visual of how I what I would rather see. It was certainly making it a little bit thinner and the head marginally smaller. But the big thing for me would be the sight line. I don't use a I never used the line on the ball. I always use the line on the putter to make sure that I'm hopefully aiming where I want to be. And I think a slightly thicker sight line which just makes it easier to aim, So that that's a big thing for me.
Speaker 2: Marty. It's interesting. It's like we had walking in here earlier, and just the line on the putter thing is so interesting to hear two players that have completely different philosophy, totally different line. You know. Joaquin said he didn't like the line on his putter because he uses a line, and he said it would feel like the lines didn't match at times. And so for you it's it's.
Speaker 1: I get that because certainly using the line on the ball from when you're reading the part and you've got the ball down and you check it, it looks good. But there was when I did try and use to find there was so many times to serve the bomb. That's that's way too low. That's way too you don't believe yourself. Yeah, you just can't trust it. So I just eliminated that, and that's why I just went blank side of the ball and trust myself that I'm aiming where I should be.
Speaker 2: You mentioned your dad earlier. Do you still work with your dad on golf, swing and stuff?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Has he been your instructor your whole life?
Speaker 1: Well, from from the age of ten ten or eleven, Yeah, we've we've worked together. So I took part in junior clinics, but before that age and and things like that. But yeah, my dad's my dad's helped me massively from as I said, ten or eleven.
Speaker 2: It is how much has technology helped that relationship obviously with you've been on the road all the time and him not being able to travel, you know, week in and week out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we tried it a little bit last year with him coming out to tournaments, and I think it trying to do work at tournaments never didn't didn't work that well for me because I think ultimately you you're off weeks is where you're going to try and get everything you want lined up so you can then just go to the tournament, go out and play. And there was times where I think last year I was getting a bit frustrated, certainly on the range, because you kind of just want like a magic pill, and it doesn't work that way. So we just that was the first year that we tried coming out more to more tournaments, and we both just kind of sat down at the end of the year and figured that we both felt the same, like it didn't really work that well, and this year we were just he would only come out if I needed the help, and that would probably be on and off week. So yeah, I think that's everyone's different. Some guys want they coach there every week and you know, always on the range, and I think, yeah, for me, that would just be be way too much. I wouldn't be able to deal with that. You end up with too many thoughts in your head, and golf is a complicated game as it is. And I think the simpler you make it, the better, the easier it is.
Speaker 3: Shane asked you the question about, you know, challenging golf courses in it it seems as if you, you know, play your best golf on tough courses, against tough fields. What do you think it is about your game and or mentality that's kind of led to that?
Speaker 1: Well, I think ultimately you want to be playing against the the best players in the world as as often as possible, And yeah, enjoying that competition and it gives you It allows you to compare yourself to see where you're at as well. And yeah, like this year has been great so far. I have played really nice in in the elevated events and I haven't been too far away from from winning a couple of times, which is exciting. And yeah, hoping hoping my week arise pretty soon.
Speaker 2: What's the most nervous you've ever been on the golf course.
Speaker 1: That that there's two times that jump out probably over that too, and half at path to win it?
Speaker 2: Okay, did it did it have movement? Like? Did you have to play it anywhere outside the hole it all? Or around?
Speaker 1: Well? I mean I couldn't believe that I managed to leave the first put short in the first place was like downhill left right. Yeah, like from twenty feet twenty five feet wasn't really a nice part to have anyway, with how fast the greens were, but I managed to leave it. Yeah, just that awkward distance where you're like.
Speaker 2: To make it, but I also have to think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well it's one of them. If you missed the whole, we've probably got like a six foot coming back, and then if you miss that one, you've actually missed a playoff and it's just a disaster. But yeah, I was. I stood over that and the putter head was shaking, and I was like, oh my god, please just hold this and please don't miss because I didn't want the embarrassment of, like, you've missed a two and half foot put to win the tournament. I feel like that would have been quite hard to deal with. But Yeah. Another time was when I was eighteen. I was qualifying for the Open that's and Andrews in twenty ten at Ladybank, and I knew that I was there or there abouts and I was, so the thirty fifth hole of the day, it was a part three and I had seven iron, and I mean, my the head, this was behind the ball and it was all over the shop. I was, oh my god, I was so nervous, but yeah, luckily managed to hit it onto the green for about fifteen feet. But that was when I was Yeah, these two moments.
Speaker 3: Were That was in the local final qualifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I ended up qualifying for the tournament, which was which was it was really cool.
Speaker 3: And you're that so that's seventeen. You're not even on eighteen. It's not with the putter. It's kind of rare for someone to be that nervous on a iron shot, right.
Speaker 2: I get that I could get nervous on six or seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it was just I think I kind of had a rough idea of where I was at, and I knew the top three players would qualify, and yeah, being eighteen, it was my first experience of it.
Speaker 2: And it's seen Andrews to get to. It's the holy grail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, I think what the confidence I took from that was the fact I was so nervous and I was still able to hit a good golf shot, and yeah, I end up finishing Papa, and yeah, we went through and play played the Openings and Andrews. So that was that was really cool.
Speaker 2: So what's next? I mean, as your do you lay out plans every year or you one of those people. I mean you obviously, as I mentioned, have played great on the PGA Tour. The major finishes have been very consistent as of late. What is kind of the next goal in tyr Olhattan's head. I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't really, I wouldn't sit down at the start of the year and set out like a load of goals I kind of I want to achieve. I've always just had the mindset of just going out each week that I'm going to go and play and just try my best. Ultimately, you give it one hundred percent every time you pitch up, then like you can't do anymore. I think it's only if you've if you've not put the work in beforehand, and you know, if things aren't going well on the golf course and you stop trying as as hard as you can, I think that's when you can be disappointed, like truly disappointed in yourself. So yeah, I've just always just tried to go out and try my best as a I guess a side goal if you like I wanted to. I want to be in the Ryder Cup team this year. So that's I guess a loose goal that I set myself, but it's it always seems so far away at the start of the year that you kind of don't want to get too far ahead of yourself. You just you just keep playing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, Shane, I think we should maybe uh talk to Tyro about some golf course questions.
Speaker 2: So we've we've heard you. I mean, you've bagged on some courses in your day. We've all done it. What does a perfect till heat and golf course design look like? Because obviously the par fives are reachable if you're in the fairway. Do we have short part fours on the on the Hatton design?
Speaker 1: I think, well, a mixture of some longer power fours and some short ones. But then yeah, all the part threes, they wouldn't be any longer than absolute max would be like one eighty five, one ninety.
Speaker 3: I love this course, yep.
Speaker 2: So like you might be getting a seven iron dirty maybe on a part three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's to a back pin. Okay, okay, yeah, yeah, we're not We're not going like one nineties to a front page. Oh no, none of that. No, it's back pin that's gonna be one.
Speaker 2: If you're playing the back fend, that's right. Yeah, wind shots off teas or in front of you.
Speaker 1: I always I like being able to see where where you're hitting it. So yeah, that would definitely be a part of if I was ever to design a golf course that would be.
Speaker 2: Fairways are like like twenty yards wide or like forty yards wide.
Speaker 1: Um, it'd be wide, but then narrower in in certain certain places. I think the part five should probably go slightly narrower, maybe not to the twenty yard thing, just as what we loosely touched on earlier. When you can be best driver of the golf in the world and you can't actually hit the fair way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a good one. I'd go where the ball is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, maybe it wouldn't be two, Like thirties.
Speaker 2: A nice I think thirty is a good number.
Speaker 1: It's a solid number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the Aaron Hills fairways. You mentioned healthy eating and you know, trying to eat better during the week. What's like your number one cheap meal if you're gonna eat something super unhealthy?
Speaker 1: Oh ah, I don't know. I'm I would tend to drink my calories.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: So food wise you can okay, but yeah I have a weakness for grape juice and other things.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. It makes sense anything else.
Speaker 3: Marty tarl Uh, how about that? I always want to hear the story of the Was it a Turkish Turkish Open with a six man playoff right under the lights?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What was that? Like? That?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 3: That a playoff that big?
Speaker 2: Do you guys put in the same group?
Speaker 1: I know we split. So we did two two three balls.
Speaker 2: Were you in the first one or the second one? Do you remember?
Speaker 1: I think I think I was in the I think I was in the first one, and yeah, i'm it was barely intense. But the eighteenth there is a It's a Reachaball part five. But the the fairway really narrows the sort of around the three hundred mark, and with the fairies at the time being barely firm, you were kind of getting into the narrower section. And it was a fair way that I struggled to hit for most pretty much the whole week, and then one time I did actually hit it. I think we had a mud ball, which which was fun. I end up missing it. In a horrible spot. The pin was on the left and it was a two tier green sort of lower on the left hand side and rising up on the right, and I missed it long right and it was just just dead. And I remember I chipped it across the other side of the green and then chipped in for birdie, which effectively kept me in the playoff. Yeah, I think we went it was six I want to say it was five or six holes as well. By the end of it, we had the floodlights on. You want that one?
Speaker 2: You won on the fourth extra fourth?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you play? Yeah, I just kept going down eighteen. Yeah, flood floodlights on. You definitely didn't want to hit it offline because and you wouldn't see. And yeah, it's just uh lucky that that was ended up being being my week.
Speaker 2: It's so okay. My favorite golfer thing. I say this all the time is the golfer memory. And I mean just instantaneously. Now I know, obviously you go on to win the Tournament're go, what's going on? But shot mudball? Lie where he chipped it to. I bet he can close his eyes and picture the chip in. It's just weird. I mean, I probably don't remember what I had for dinner last night, but I guarantee you I could tell you a golf shot I hit in twenty twelve. Yeah, like the fact that golfers, it's so crazy that our brains work like that, you know, it's just we're weird people. How many people do you think you can name that we're in that playoff?
Speaker 1: I just I have a list cut Eric van ryin is it schwab nice?
Speaker 2: A couple of couple of French players, Victor Perez was in it, and Benjamin Hebert Hebert really Albert air Bert.
Speaker 1: I went, that's a correct way to say it, and.
Speaker 2: And I haven't said I haven't said it correct yet. Yeah, but you I mean you did four. You did four. That was pretty good, you know. I mean you weren't in this group with all of them, for goodness sake, It's not like you can remember everybody.
Speaker 1: No, I mean it's four years ago.
Speaker 3: That's what I was wondering that if that's like the biggest playoff, I mean, how I think we had an eight person playoff one time on the PGA Tour. I remember there was one years ago, and I think it was a Tory and it was like seven or eight people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe Allenby might have won that one, but you know that's that's always wild. Tyrrel, thank you for the time. I really appreciate it. Good luck this week, keep killing it, keep playing golf like you played. It's a lot of fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: This is the Pig Brobing Brown Podcast. Thank you so much. Everybody