Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio. Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 2: This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. And today on Weird House Cinema we're going to be talking about the nineteen fifty three creature film The Beast from twenty thousand Fathoms, a very interesting precursor to movies that would come later, like Godzilla, and you might say one that follows in the footsteps of King Kong. I had never seen this before today. I watched it for the first time this morning, and yeah, this one was a lot of fun. I was noticing how even though there are silly things about it, it really does fit more in that first half of the fifties monster movie bucket than the second half of the fifties monster movie bucket. It got me thinking about this division and where like these early fifties movies are the monsters are a thing of seriousness. They're more kind of adult oriented creature films, usually made or at least distributed by these major studios, and they deal with serious themes, very often about the Cold War in one way or another, thing from another world and them and this movie too, and then sometime you get sometime in the mid fifties, you get this handover where things start getting silly, where your monster movies are like lower budgets, more independent features that are kind of focused on the teenage audiences. This is your time of the AIP takeover and Roger Korman and all that attack of the crab monsters that sort of thing. And there are exceptions, of course. I remember when we did our episode on Robot Monster, we were noticing that, like, man, that's this really feels like a movie from like five years later. That one is from nineteen fifty three as well, same year as Beast from twenty thousand fathoms, but it fits in more with that drive in era. But generally the trend really does hold, and I would say Beast tightly conforms to the trend. This is a relatively serious early fifties creature feature, and I would especially single out the grim imagery of the conclusion right at the end of the movie. It's one of the weirdest, spookiest looking things, I think, especially because of the imagery we get to of the roller coaster on fire with the main characters wearing these deathly looking radiation suits. Yeah, interesting movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah is It definitely has that serious tone, but to be clear, early fifties serious tones, not a sixty serious tone, not a seventies or eighties. So don't feel like this is a monster movie that is going to necessarily demand a lot off you. You can definitely give it a casual viewing. You can definitely just check in for the monster scenes. But I do think it's worth watching in full. I really enjoyed it. I get to watch this one at Atlanta's own Plaza Theater as part of the Silver Screams spook Show series and the Beast in question, I think, to nobody surprise if you're familiar with it at all, this is a Ray Harry Howsend creation. Looks absolutely terrific on the big screen, big screen, black and white. You can really imagine what it was like back in the days, back in the early fifties to see this thing up on the screen. Yeah. I think most people agree that the monster absolutely holds up here, and the monster is primarily the reason people come back to it with a few other bits of interest as well. Some have said that they find the rest of the movie a bit slow at times, and I agree somewhat when it comes to the research the research portion of the film, but absolutely worth sticking out, especially for the ending. The ending is just bonkers and I love it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I was kind of going in for the flirty dinosaur identification scene.
Speaker 1: No, no, that was good, and of course the lighthouse scene is terrific. I mean, all the scenes with the monster are terrific, and the humans are very likable as well.
Speaker 2: I'll take your modification on this. I don't want to oversell the seriousness of it. It is also, I think, in some ways unintentionally funny. I think, especially to audiences today, some of the dialogue scenes and its treatment of scientific skepticism is pretty funny, but not nearly the level of seriousness and darkness you would get when treating the same themes, or at least similar themes in Godzilla a year later.
Speaker 1: Yeah. To be clear, this was the first time I'd seen the film as well, and I knew that I needed to be excited about a giant lizard rampaging down Broadway in New York City, but I didn't know that we're going to kick things off in the Arctic. That was a real treat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was actually thinking about this, like these fifties creature movies that take place in the Arctic, or at least have parts that do. First, I don't know, fifteen minutes or so of this movie is in the Arctic, and it was making me think about Howard Hawks, the Thing from Another World that also has a setting in the Arctic. Of course, that movie was the inspiration for the Thing which moves from the Arctic to the Antarctic. And I was kind of thinking about, like, why do we get all of these sci fi creature movies set in the far North and you know, these icy environments in the early fifties. I think that's probably no coincidence because when I started thinking about it, that probably has to do with what was actually happening geopolitically at the time, because in the early fifties, nuclear war was very much on everybody's mind. You know, the Cold War is kicking up, and we have these new weapons, this horrible technology. But because of the state of the delivery systems for nuclear weapons at the time, the Arctic was a major strategic theater for the Cold War in the early fifties. ICBMs wouldn't be operationalized until later like around nineteen fifty seven or fifty eight. So in the first half of the fifties, people generally understood that if nuclear war ever broke out, it would begin with long range bomber planes, and the shortest route between available airfields and targets in the Soviet Union in the United States would involve flights over the Arctic. So as a result, the Arctic was a major zone of strategic anxiety. So during this time there was a lot of building, building and staffing of these far northern bases and airfields, and trying to establish radar lines and early warning systems that could detect a first strike coming across the North Pole or through Arctic attack routes. So I think it very much makes sense that the Arctic would be on people's minds when they thought about nuclear war. And in one way or another, most of these big monster movies from the fifties have something to do with nuclear war, either direct or indirectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, obviously a key thing going on in the zeitgeist and our fears take the form of these monsters. Well, let's see my elevator pitch for this one would probably just be giant lyzard goes crazy on Broadway because that is what will happen, and that's the most iconic sequence in the picture. But as far as just promotional materials go, I love this The original poster for the film, which says the Sea's master beast of the ages raging up from the bottom of time pretty grand.
Speaker 2: You know. I don't really recall a scene where they describe much of anything about the palaeoecology of the Redosaurus or the Raydosaurus. I forget how they pronounce it is that, but they come up with a fictional dinosaur species in this movie, which is what the monster is. It is an unfrozen, unfrozen caveman lawyer, except it's a you know, rampaging dinosaur monster coming out of the ice and it's r h Edosaurus. However you say that, and yeah, do they say. Was it supposed to be an aquatic dinosaur or a terrestrial dinosaur? It does both, And it really is shaped more like a terrestrial animal would be. It looks like a big iguana sort of, but with like a really gnarly nasty head. But we see it, really, we see it moving around beneath the water, much like Godzilla. So I don't know. Is this thing supposed to be a master of the seas or the sea's master? I guess.
Speaker 1: I mean it can eat a bathosphere, which speaks to some mastery of the sea, and it is the beast from twenty thousand fathoms. But yeah, it seems as comfortable on land as it is in the water. That poster, by the way, also in all caps, lets you know that it is not suitable for children, which it's always fun to reflect on that because by today's standards, this is very suitable for children. It might bore some children for some set for some segments, but I mean, there's nothing out of line here at all, even within the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: I would say. We were discussing this poster before we started recording, and one of the things that confused me was what's this white stuff hanging out of the beast's mouth. It doesn't. The only thing that would make sense is it's supposed to be drool, but it doesn't look like that.
Speaker 1: It looks like it ate a white wig, yeah, or it almost looks like it is supposed to be like beard material, like they as if they added some motifs of like Eastern dragons to it or something.
Speaker 2: Because it is a very dragon like organism. But yeah, I could see yeah, like a like a Chinese dragon. It's got the trailing kind of wind swept thing, beard like stuff coming from the mouth. Also, we have one person down in the crowd that's running in terror away from the dinosaur. One person gets a speech bubble and they're saying it's alive. Yes, Well, what did they expect?
Speaker 1: It's very much alive. All right, If you were curious about this film and you would like to watch The Beast from twenty thousand fathoms before we really get into the spoilers here and all, well, it is widely available. It's a whole lot of fun on the big screen, but you can very much enjoy it on the small screen no matter however small screen you desire. You can get it in all digital formats, and there's some nice DVD and Blu ray editions as well. All right, let's get into the people behind this film, starting with the director. This is actually a director we've mentioned on the show before. This is our second film by this guy. This is Yuzenne Laurie lived nineteen oh three through nineteen ninety one. He also directed the nineteen sixty one British kaiju movie Gorgo, Gorgo.
Speaker 2: You know, this is a better movie than Gorgo. This is definitely better than Gorgo. Gorgo had there was a lot to love about Gorgo. That was the one about the big lizard rat that attacks off the coast of Ireland and then gets captured and brought back to London. So really it is the plot of King Kong, except it treats Ireland to Skull Island.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, the King Kong connection is key here. You alluded to it already. But my understanding is that this film basically came about because there had been they re released King Kong in the studio, in the in the theaters, which of course would come out and come out you know, decades earlier. They re released it in the theaters. It was a big hit, and you know, studio heads were like, well, why are we not still making giant monster movies that make us giant money. Let's do some more of those. And that's where the Beast from twenty thousand fathoms comes in. And then it by most accounts, partially inspires Godzilla to come. So it does play a key role in the history of giant monster movies just Internet nationally m Yeah. Uh. You know.
Speaker 2: One thing I think King Kong gets right. Gorgo does not get right, and this movie gets somewhere in the middle, is making the human characters of interest. Yeah, you know, there's like some human interest in King Kong. There is not really much at all in Gorgo, and this is somewhere in the middle. Like the characters in this or you're not going to be, you know, falling in love with them. They're not like amazingly compelling, but they're fun enough to fall especially like the paleontologist guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, he is a lot of fun and it is of course sad when when he gets it.
Speaker 2: We'll get to.
Speaker 1: Here, okay, but back to lay Here again, our second film of his having covered Gorgo before. Russian born French art director and then a film director his production design where it goes back to the early thirties, but his first directorial credit was this film, and this scene still have cemented him as a giant monster director to some extent, as he followed this up with fifty eight's The Colossus of New York, in which a giant robot body has a dead boy's brain in it controlling It.
Speaker 2: That's on my weird house list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do want to see that one, and I see it on the video rental shelves of Video Drone sometimes. Fifty nine's The Giant Behemoth, which is another Giant Dino movie. And then he also did an episode of the fifty nine TV series World of Giants. This is an incredible Shrinking Man inspired series. And then of course he did Gorgo. Yeah, all right, getting into the screenplay here, one of the most the more interesting connections here on the script is that it is based to some extent on a short story, very short story by Ray Bradberry, who lived nineteen twenty through twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Did you notice how in the credits it doesn't name the story. It just says based on the Saturday Evening Post story by Ray Bradberry.
Speaker 1: It really kind of felt like, oh, crap, I forgot to I've got to write down the name. I'll just say just just say where it was feltlish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was in the one in the post.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the one in the post. That one what was it called? It was? It was I'm forgetting the fog Horn. The fog Horn was the name of the.
Speaker 2: Songg fog horn leg Horn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Foghorn from nineteen fifty one, which which you can find online. It's it's it's a pretty short story, and it's it's it's it's well written, it's nice. I'm going to read a quick excerpt from it here. Mcdunn fumbled the switch, but even as he switched it on, the monster was rearing up. I had a glimpse of its gigantic paws, fish skin glittering in webs between the finger like projections, clawing at the tower. The huge eye on the right side of its anguished head glittered before me like a cauldron into which I might drop screaming. The tower shook, The fog horn cried, The monster cried. It sees the tower and gnashed at the glass, which shattered in upon us.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So is this the scene that becomes the attack on the light house in the movies?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, Well, one.
Speaker 2: Of the better parts of the movie. Very very interesting scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the emotional heart of the film really as far as the monster goes, because essentially what appears to be happening is the monster is confusing the sound of the foghorn, in confusing the lighthouse with one of its own kind, and it sort of comes in and tries to hug it, to embrace it, to find comfort in its embrace, but instead just collapses a lighthouse and has then desponded, And you know, we can understand it's rage at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sadly kills a couple of lighthouse keepers who were in the middle of a brilliant discourse on body songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true there was human tragedy here as well. But yeah, this was the Ray Bradbury story. Yeah, we talked about Bradbury before. He's come up before, but we talked about The Soul and the Lame Bass short film Quest from nineteen eighty four, which was based on one of his tales. And he's the author of such works the Martian Chronicles from fifty They Illustrated Man from fifty one, The October Country from fifty five. And he was of course a successful screenwriter, having written the screenplay for the nineteen fifty six adaptation of Moby Dick, and his work was also adapted for TV and film going back to the nineteen fifties, including Jack Arnold's It Came from Outer Space in fifty three, and that's one that has been kind of on the short list or maybe the long list for weird house cinema. There's probably one Jack Arnold film in particular. In particular we'll get too before that, but at any rate, Yeah, you do see a little bit of the fog Horn in this picture, and it is kind of the emotional heart of it. I was reading about it, and I've found out that there's actually a nineteen ninety seven episode of the Pokemon TV series which also loosely adapts this Bradburry story. It's called Mystery at the Lighthouse, and I included a couple of stills for you here. I did not have a chance to watch this episode, but based on the screenshots, it appears that a large dragon like form I'm assuming this is what Charizard charizard O.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like Charizard, except in black and white, you know, or at least in mist and fog we don't get are mostly silhouette, and he is indeed attacking a lighthouse, perhaps mistaking it for I don't know, another Pokemon. Anyway, Pokemon fans out there, and we know, we certainly know we have them right in about this episode, we'll learn more from you, all right. The screenplay credits, however, go to two individuals. We have Lou Morheim, who lived nineteen twenty two through twenty thirteen, writer and producer who's other credits as a writer include five episodes of the original Outer Limits plus a bunch of Westerns, which makes sense given the time period. And then also Fred Freiberger nineteen fifteen through two thousand and three, film and TV writer who went on to create the Neanderthal Saturday More live action TV show Corg seventy thousand BC. This ran from seventy four through seventy five, nineteen episodes narrated by Burgess.
Speaker 2: Meredith. Huh yeah, I didn't know about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Like I was reading about it and it was like, oh wow, this is like a serious caveman drama and they're like, no Saturday Morning TV.
Speaker 2: Show, Okay, it's not like the Inheritors.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, that's what I was thinking, Like, is this a real serious treatment of maybe, you know, somehow connected to a lot of the other like seriously minded prehistoric people novels and so forth. But I don't think that was the case. More of a light land of the lost flavor here I think, all right, let's get into the actors here. So our protagonist is Professor Tom Nesbit, played by an actor credited as Paul Christian, his real name Paul Hubschmid. He was a Swiss actor with film credits going back to nineteen thirty eight. He lived nineteen seventeen through two thousand and one. He worked in German cinema, including during the period of Nazi rule, which he later expressed regret over and had difficulty finding Swiss roles because of in the years following the war. I'm to understand that these German films of the Nazi era he appeared in were light romantic fare with only faint ideological references, but it was still kind of a lasting blight on his career. So to be clear, not a Nazi, but a young Swiss actor working in Germany at the time who was just kind of going with the flow and did not ask questions about who he was working for. But anyway, he kept working and continued to find success in Europe and then branching over into Hollywood. He signed a deal with Universal in forty eight, starring in the forty nine film Baghdad, alongside the likes of Marin O'Hara and Vincent Price, all playing Middle Easterners, and did a string of other big studio films, including nineteen fifty two's No Time for Flowers, directed by Don Siegel. Other credits include The Indian Tomb from fifty nine, The Day the Sky Exploded from fifty eight, Oh Sounds, Explosive, Funeral in Berlin from sixty six, and Skullduggery in seventy, a screwball adventure movie starring Burt Reynolds that does not sound good, looks like it has not aged well and probably came out of the oven offensive. And then he was also in the nineteen eighty eight German language horror movie Broken Silence.
Speaker 2: When I was watching this, I wondered if I was subconsciously holding his accent against him. I hope that's not it, But he just like he wasn't totally selling the movie for me.
Speaker 1: Oh really, I found his accent charming. I think I like that. Like he's, for the most part, very much by appearances, your square jaw protagonist from an early fifties film, Like he's very definitely definitely fits the mold in pretty much every imaginable way. On that front, but his accent I felt like, gave him like maybe a little bit of charm where I was like, oh, this is this is not just an American monster movie. This is this is a you know, a Transatlantic monster movie. This is a you know, it has a little bit of European flare to it.
Speaker 2: Even. Yeah. So he's supposed to be a nuclear physicist who exactly what his relationship is to his work is not totally clear, And some of the monologues in the movie, his character seems to be kind of ambivalent or even kind of negative about what nuclear technology means. Other Times he's like talking about how he's paving the way for tomorrow, and you know, he's like that he's talking about the curative properties of the radioactive isotope. So I don't know, I feel like there's some ambivalence in the way that the character is realized. But also, as I said, I was saying, I hope it wasn't the accent was making me feel this, but something about him was awkward for me. It didn't totally click.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well that's like him or not. That's her character and the love interest. The supporting character here is the character Lee Hunter. And she is played by Paula Raymond, who live nineteen twenty four through two thousand and three, American actress with credits going back to thirty eight. She acted in a variety of genres, including noir such as fifty threes City That Never Sleeps, westerns such as fifties Devil's Doorway, as well as romance. Her other horror and sci fi credits include sixty two's Hand of Death, starring John Agar as a monster that looks an awful lot. People have commented on this like Marvel's Thing, who debuted in the pages of Marvel Comics the year before, and then she's also in sixty nine's Blood of Dracula's Castle with John Caradine.
Speaker 2: I like her. She's fun when she shows up, though you do kind of get the feeling with her character that like, so she shows up when Nesbit is like, I've seen a monster, nobody will believe me, and she's like, well you're handsome, I believe you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, there is that. It's it's a mix of things here with this the way this character is presented, because she's presented as a confident female scientist, which is great, but on the other hand, she's still fetching coffee and kissing old men on the cheek before there are only the lips before they get into the bathosphere. So you know it's a mixed bag here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She makes some little sandwiches with the crusts cut off while they're trying to do their research.
Speaker 1: You need that crust for the research, though, I think doing them a disservice.
Speaker 2: Are they five years old? While don't they leave the crusts on?
Speaker 1: I will say she is very stylishly dressed. There's one scene where she's wearing this black like this big black coat with a big, wide white collar, and you know this is a big this is a monster movie, so you know, certainly I was poking the person to me and say, you're looking at this monster. But in a couple of these scenes, I'm like, are you looking at this coat? This is incredible. It looks amazing on the big screen.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed her wardrobe. But in the first scene where we meet her, she's got the Is that the scene in the paleontologist's office where she's ring like a trench coat over there? I don't know. I don't know yet.
Speaker 1: She's also wearing more of like a beige trench coat and another scene, but in general, just you know, very well costumed.
Speaker 2: Also, I think she gets to be the only character in the movie who expresses care or concern for another character. So you know, it's that like she she's she's the person who gets to grieve when Elson gets eaten by the monster. The rest of the movie is very it's very process and action oriented. She's one of the only characters who gets to have emotional reflection on the proceedings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. Well, let's talk about Professor Elson or the Professor, the aged Professor, much beloved professor that is also part of the monster investigation. Played by Cecil Calaway lived eighteen ninety through nineteen seventy three South African British character actor who started out in Australian theater in film in the thirties before making them move to Hollywood. Two time Oscar nominee for forty nine's The Luck of the Irish and sixty eights Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? Replayed the Monsignor character in that. His other films include The Invisible Man Returns and The Mummy's Hand from nineteen forty and Hush, hush, sweet Charlotte in nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 2: Well, I like this guy. He was, you know what. They set it up like the cop movie, like he was two days away from retirement. Except this guy's thing is he was like two days away from his first ever vacation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a very likable, grandfatherly character, and it was funny. I saw this with my family and afterwards I was asking my kid what they thought about it, and they mentioned, and to be clear, like they've seen Aliens at this point, and various other films. They watched Stranger Things. It's not like they've only seen films in which the endings are super happ but they were like, oh, yeah, I thought that they were going to cut open the beast at the end of the film and find the Bathisphere and he was going to be all right. And that obviously does not happen, but I can understand, like what the characters presented in such a sweet way, and then he's just totally destroyed, you kind of, I guess they're holding out hope.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if the Bathisphere had had its own internal oxygen supply, m this may be conceivable. I don't think it did I think they had an air hose from the surface.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Or of course, then you get into a weird area. If he's in there, that's a whole second movie where he's communicating to the outside. It's like innerspace, except he's in a dinosaur.
Speaker 2: Like he still got that phone and he's making calls from inside this Yes, the monster.
Speaker 1: I'm almost out of coffee. Yeah. All right. So those are I guess are three main characters, but we have we have some other supporting characters. Want to mention real quick. There's Colonel Jack Evans and he was played by Kenneth Toby, who of nineteen seventeen through two thousand and two. If that square jaw and no nonsense demeanor seems familiar, it's because he was the lead in nineteen fifty one's The Thing from Another World, which of course covered on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this guy was ready to punch a communist at a moment's notice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's got a signature, signature face. You recognize him once you start looking for him. He was also in fifty fives. It Came from Beneath the Sea. Just a ton of TV and film credits going back to I think nineteen forty five. And in his later career he did a lot of cameos. So there were a lot of like, you know, new and up and coming directors who grew up on some of these old fifties pictures, including Joe Dante. So he pops up in The Howling Grimlins two Inner Space, and he even cameos unrelated to Joe Dante in hell Raiser Bloodline. Mmm, okay, yeah, which I think he's a priest on a hologram. Still a tempted to come back to that one.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, is that the one that's got the segment different segments in time? There's like one on a space station.
Speaker 1: One in the past, Yes, yes, the past, the future, Adam Scott.
Speaker 2: It's got little baby Adam Scott. He's in like seventeenth century clothing.
Speaker 1: I think, so, yeah, he's in the past. All right, let's say moving along, We've got Captain Phil Jackson played by Donald Woods, who have nineteen oh six through nineteen ninety eight Canadian born actor whose credits include nineteen sixties Thirteen Ghosts and nineteen sixty nine's True Grit.
Speaker 2: And then we.
Speaker 1: Also have a character by the name of Corporal Stone. Corporal Stone is going to come into play pretty late in the picture, but he is played by Lee van Cleef, who lived nineteen twenty five through nineteen eighty nine, only a year into his film and TV career, coming off of small roles in such films as fifty two's High Noon his earliest credit. He was in his late twenties at the time. So a very small but pivotal role here in which old angel Eyes really gets to shine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he plays a crack shot, right. They bring him into to slay the Beast because he's the best with a rifle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is essentially barred the bowman from The Hobbit and all that. We'll dwell on this a bit more when we start talking about the scene. But yeah, he is the sharpshooter brought in to use a special weapon against the Giant Monster's one week point.
Speaker 2: Which came first this movie or The Hobbit. I don't know when the Hobbit was first published.
Speaker 1: Well, the Hobbit was first published in thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it wouldn't be that Beast inspired.
Speaker 1: The no, But it's also not necessarily the fact that the Hobbit inspired the beast, because, as I'll get into later in the episode, the trope of a hero using a special weapon to slay the monster by hitting a very specific spot on its body is basically one of the oldest stories in human mythology. So we have multiple examples we can point to and works of ancient literature in which this exact same thing happened. So I think it's it may be it maybe have been a case where they were inspired by the Hobbit, but just as likely that it's just this is a very human story about people standing up to monsters.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I guess the other big point of comparison is that it's a character who shows up late in the story. It's not like the hero for the whole time is the one who makes the strike at the weak point.
Speaker 1: That's true, yeah, because I think in many of the other examples, it's like you're gonna have a key hero who it's like, oh yeah, we don't have to bring an outsider in because our structural protagonist is already the best shot within bow and Arrow in the entire world. In this case, they're like, who can do this shot? We got to bring into Lee van Cleef more on that scene when we get to it, like he's part of He's just one element in the fantastic finish to this picture.
Speaker 2: You know, he does the same thing at the end of it Conquered the World, except instead of a rifle, it's like a you know, a little butane torch. Oh remember that. Yeah, we brings up to the art to choke with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about him previously in that episode and a much different character like he's because he's he's on the side of the villains in that one for a long time and then has a change of heart and decides that space communism is bad. In this one, he's just yeah, they just like, we need to bring in a guy who really knows how to shoot, and they're like here he is, and he's like, all right, I'm up for the job. He pulls it off.
Speaker 2: I don't remember them mentioning his name in the movie, but I guess maybe they do.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, I don't remember as well. I was more at that point in the film. I knew Lee van Kleeff was going to be in it, and then I forgot that who's going to be in it? And the movie was about over and then suddenly they brought him out and I was like, yes, he's finally here.
Speaker 2: It took me a minute to recognize who he was, and I was like, oh wait, that's him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well they're getting the lead box out of the container.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's like what you got here? A monster? Yeah, I'm gonna shoot that, which his whole vibe. He's cool, all right. Technical effects created by, of course Ray Harry Housen, who of nineteen twenty through twenty thirteen American British Oscar winning animator and special effect creator, major pioneer in the industry. We talked about him before in the show because we covered Clash of the Titans from nineteen eighty one, which was essentially his swan song, but so many other films in between that one and this one, and really, like again, the effects in The Beast from twenty thousand fathoms absolutely hold up. And you hear about fairly recent films, including Peter Jackson's Hobbit adaptations. I'm to understand that in figuring out how they were going to present Smog the Dragon and animate Smog the Dragon like this was one of the films they look back to look back to see how Ray Harry Elsen brought a creature like this to life, because it's one of these things. When you see it on the screen, you admire it. But sometimes, like not being in effects and not ever actually having tried to create something like this, you maybe miss out on just how sublime it really is. How this creature moves like a creature. You know, it's a you can easily take it all for granted because the magic is absolutely working totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it looks excellent. You know, I've said many times on the show how much of a sucker I am for Ray Harry Housen and stop motion creature effects. I love them. I really like them, even sometimes when they're not great. There's just something about the texture of the effects themselves I just find pleasing. And then when they look really good, as this one does, it it's even more of a treat. So yeah, I think they're just great. You know. There were a lot of little things where I felt like I noticed moments that resembled different types of effects, maybe stop motion, maybe puppetry, maybe computer effects from later movies, and I kept wondering or those later movies calling back to this one, Like there's one part where the creature eats a policeman in New York here, and it was like, I was like, man, that really looks like the first time the t Rex eat somebody in Jurassic Park. I wonder if that was in space Olberg's mind, where they like, I kind of want to have this look like when the monster eads somebody in Beasts from twenty thousand Fathoms.
Speaker 1: I mean, I bet it was. I mean it is also, of course the thing you would want a giant monster to do. But yeah, yeah, I think it's probably hard to overstate the importance of a film like this and it effects history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was some visual signature in common there though, with like the biting the top half of the body and the legs sticking out and wiggling in a certain way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because this is a creature that is this in effect a lizard, and there are aspects of a lizard to its locomotion. But it also I think it's clear that that Harry Housen was looking at other animals as well and determining like how he was going to animate it and how it was going to move. And when we've talked a little bit about that, I think in previous episodes about how like he would go to the zoo and watch animals move around and to figure out exactly how he was going to animate things. So he really put in the work here. But to your point, though, whether it's Harry Housen's work or anyone else's, like when stop motion effects or puppetry effects practical effects when they are less than perfect, yes they can be hilarious, but they can also still absolutely resonate on this level that it is a form of puppetry. It is this form of human storytelling that has very much been in play as a medium throughout our history as a species.
Speaker 2: As I often say on here, stop motion effects don't have to look realistic to look great. You know, there are two different dimensions of like how well realized the effects are. One element is kind of realism blending in with the human action or the backdrop or whatever. But then there's a whole other dimension that's just kind of artistic pleasingness that doesn't really correlate necessarily with it looking like real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, all right. Finally, the music here is by David Buttoff, who we've mentioned before. Butt Off lived nineteen oh two through nineteen eighty three imposer who also did Hitchcock's Rope forty eight thirty nine's The Gorilla That's Not Hitchcock, And we previously mentioned him for his score to nineteen fifty three's House of Wax.
Speaker 2: All right, are you ready to talk about the plot?
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: So the title appears in this movie over a whirlpool water spiraling down a drain, and this in the credits here is when we get that note that this was inspired by the Saturday Evening Post story by Ray Bradbury. So at the beginning of the movie, a voiceover monologue sets up the action while we watch footage of workers moving cargo around on an airfield in the far North with these twin engine propeller planes lined up into the distance. And I was actually kind of curious about a air you know, aerospace technology question. Did you notice all these big hoses they were running from machines on the ground up into the airplane engines. I was wondering, are these heaters? Are they blowing hot air into the engines before the planes take off, maybe to prevent them from icing or something.
Speaker 1: That would make sense, But yeah, I don't know for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know either. I wondered what that was. Folks out there, if you know what's going on there right in contact at stuff to blow yourmind dot com. Anyway, the narrator sets up what's going on here. The narrator says, this is Operation Experiment. Experiment is the name of the operation.
Speaker 1: I think they should have workshopped at a bit more, but fair enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is Operation Experiment, a secret base far north of the Arctic Circle. Experiment was the code name for a top priority scientific expedition. These men arrived here on X day minus sixty. It has taken them the full two months to get ready. Today is X day. It is now h hour minus fifty nine minutes. There is less than an hour.
Speaker 1: Lefe left a lot of babel to get through. But okay, something technical is happening.
Speaker 2: I like how it does the math for us. So at h our minus fifty nine minutes, that means there's less than an hour. Oh okay, thanks. So now we see the airplanes that we saw earlier. They're like getting ready to go. So the engines are running, they're preparing for takeoff. And I thought it was kind of cool here to notice that instead of wheels at the bottom of the landing gear, they have skis, I guess because they're out on these ice fields. And the narrator goes on to say, the plane must arrive at its rendezvous two hundred miles away in exactly fifty eight minutes. There can be no room for error, there can be no second chance. So then the plane takes off. We see this big radar aerial spinning on top of a metal tower, and it goes on narrating about like, here's the rendezvous, and it's doing more of the countdown, here's for the scientists or double checking their equipment, and we see shots of inside a facility where a bunch of men dressed for cold weather are looking through instation. They're doing calculations on paper with like you know, a pencil and compass and a straight edge and all that. And then we see eventually the radar operators kicking into action. They detect the airplane and they get on the radio and they report its heading. And then outside on the ice we see men in fur lined jackets and boots standing around with binoculars watching the sky. The narrator says, every man here knows his job he does it quickly, efficiently, silently. The men are ready, the equipment is ready. We're like, okay, what is it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is, but I guess I'm feel confident about the people doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the countdown continues, The narrator goes on building up the tension. People are standing around waiting. Then we get the final countdown from ten down to one, three to one, and it's a nuclear explosion. So there is a blinding flash of light, a mushroom cloud blooming up into the sky, and then lots of footage of I mayhem. So we see glaciers calving off and dropping sheets of ice into the sea. There are icebergs that split in half and then crumble into the water, all kinds of like ice crumbling and falling. So we have just witnessed a nuclear test conducted somewhere over a northern polar ice sheet.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems fine, probably won't be related to anything else in the plot. That the world absolutely will be the same. Let's see what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the radar operators flag something weird right after the blast. They say they detect a foreign object, and one of them says it's silhouetted like five hundred tons at least, but by the time they call the superiors over, the object is gone without a trace. So after the test we join a couple of guys in charge here reflecting on the successful detonation. This is Colonel Jack Evans played by Kenneth Toby and Professor Tom Nesbitt played by Paul Christian or Paul Hugh Schmidt, but billed as Paul Christian. And so the colonel comments with some amusement that they spend eight weeks preparing for this kind of test and then it's all over in a second. But then Nesbit comes back with some opposing consideration. He says, quote, when energy of that magnitude is released, it's never over. What the cumulative effects of all these atomic explosions and tests will be only time can tell. And then the Colonel's like, what you mean, Scientists don't know, You don't know the answer to everything, And Nesbit goes on. He's like, well, you know, the world's been here for millions of years, man's been walking upright for a comparatively short amount of that time. Mentally, we're still crawling, he says. And then after this there is I thought a one two punch of dialogue that for me, like the first line lands great and the second not so good. So there's another professor nearby named George Ritchie who comments that quote every time one of these things goes off. I feel like we're helping to write the first chapter of a newt Genesis. And then the second line from Nesbit is he says, let's hope we're not writing the last chapter of the old one. That was like the last chapter of the Old Genesis. That's like I had to look it up. It's like, that's the death of Joseph. Like I think what he must mean is the Book of Revelation, not the last chapter of.
Speaker 1: That would make But yeah, it's the line is written or delivered in a way here that doesn't specify that like it should. So it sounds like these guys have just had nothing to read but the Bible. Up here, they're about to list launch and do a very nuanced discussion of Old Testament literature.
Speaker 2: The Gideons left Bibles and they're beside all of their ice field sleeping bags, and yeah, they've been really getting into it anyway. So the scientists after this, they're going to take some readings. They load up onto a motorized ice tractor and they head to the forward observation post. They promised to turn back when their Geiger counters start going berserk. So out on the ice, the mood is very eerie. There's soft music and the wind is whipped, and while the scientists are away from the vehicle taking readings from their instruments, a blizzard starts coming on, so the two scientists become separated. And then through a narrow gap in some tall sort of columns of ice, one of the scientists, Professor Ritchie, sees something shocking, a giant, black, scaly figure moving quickly, like what on earth was that? Richie calls out for Nesbit, but no one can hear him through the wind, so he climbs up on a steep, icy hillside and then there at the top he sees in all its glory, the monster of the movie, which will later be called the Ritosaurus. So the monster of the movie is a giant quadrupedal lizard shaped dinosaur with pebbled skin and sharp teeth. It does a dorsal crest running down its back with these small triangular sail shaped spines. It has very mean looking eyes, small, cold, eight full eyes, and it walks on four feet, but it has an upturned posture like some lizards do, usually kind of raised up higher in the front, as if it's somewhat kind of proud. I don't know, robbed you of any other comments to add on the monster design?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, in addition to it just being so very well executed, I would say it's general design here it speaks to more what we would think of as archaic paleo art, you know, like older depictions of what dinosaurs might have looked like. And then there is a definite there's a definite dash of you know, Saint George and the dragon here, I said, I in the sense that there's some you know, classical dragon illustration folded into the into the design as well.
Speaker 2: Now we didn't talk about this beforehand, so I may be catching you off guard here, but it just occurred to me. What do you think the difference in feeling is with a prehistoric radioactive monster that walks on four feet versus one that walks on So we will get Godzilla a year later, who is who looks a lot like this in many ways, similar kind of dark pebbled, scaly skin texture, similar kind of dinosaur, you know, tyrannosaur shaped head in a way. But Godzilla, of course is firmly bipedal, walks on its two back legs. This monster walks on four feet. Do you think that has a significant difference in the feeling created?
Speaker 1: I think so. I mean, I don't know how much it was really in play at this point, but I think having you know, comparing the two, a bipedal monster is going to feel more human and maybe we're going to be more inclined to give it human motivations and see some sort of humanity within it, whereas a four legged creature is more of a beast. That being said, I think execution also plays a role here, because with the excellent stop motion like this, you can have a four legged creature that is brought perfectly to life and you completely buy it as a four legged creature, whereas in the Godzilla era when you do encounter quadrupedal monsters, I mean, it is a man in a suit crawling around on all fours, and you can suspend disbelief, but that reality is going to be there on some level or another for you. And I think That's why, while you do find quadrupedal kaiju, a lot of kaiju are going to be bipedal, or there's going to be some sort of arrangement that is bipedal in basic structure and in its actual performance elements.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with what you're saying. The while the characterization of Godzilla did change a lot over time, so certainly they found characteristics of Godzilla much later on that we're not there in the first movie. You can see how the bipedal Godzilla turns into more of this protector sort of human, you know, personality possessing character later on. It's hard to imagine that with the Ritosaurus in this movie. It's hard to imagine this thing ever becoming like having a human intellect in the way that later Godzilla seems too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree, But already the monster looks great here, and in general, I just want to say that this whole opening sequence in this snowy wasteland with a monster stalking and you know, with me behind a fair amount of like blizzardy weather, just looks really good. And we get already getting a nice sense of tension and horror here.
Speaker 2: Right, So the scientist Richie sees this beast and then screams and falls backwards into a crevasse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right on his butt too. Got some mild laughter from the audience, but also like it's it was an impressive stunt, so it's like that looks like it hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So eventually the other scientist, Tom Nesbit, comes to the rescue and he finds his colleague granting deliriously about a prehistoric monster. And then after climbing back out of the crevass, Nesbit sees it too. He turns and he sees the creature and the beast snarls as it kind of whips over the lip of a nearby cliff, and with its body it causes an avalanche that buries the other scientist, Professor Ritchie in Ice. Then sometime later we see Professor Nesbitt brought back to the base by a rescue team, and the doctors conclude that he has to be rushed back to a hospital in the States immediately, So he's going to be taken back to New York eventually. And then while they're waiting on a plane to take him away, Nesbit mutters in his sleep about a monster. I do think it's funny that. I don't know what was New York the nearest hospital to where they I'm surprised they didn't take him to like a base hospital, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seems like there would have been another option. But no, we can take the plot right to New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So we're in New York City now. At the hospital, Nesbitt seems to be making a good physical recovery. Unfortunately, he is suffering from what the staff believed to be traumatic hallucinations, and they bring in a psychiatrist named doctor Ingersoll to talk some sense into this raving madman. So Ingersoll goes on a monologue about how like he sits down next to Nesbit's hospital bed and he's like, let me tell you about some other monsters people have claimed to exist. There is the famous monster of Scotland, you know, the lake Monster of Scotland, the loch Lomund Monster.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I ever heard of that one generic brand? Is that? Really?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I tried to look it up, and I was confused about whether the only references I was seeing were from this movie or whether it's independently a thing. I didn't have time to investigate. Fully, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, it's been a long time since I've read into many monsters of the Loch. But I mean, I do know that there are various lake moderate monster traditions in the British Isles, so I would not be shocked if this were referring to some legitimate tradition or an alternate name.
Speaker 2: Could be a thing, but I'd never heard of it. The other thing he brings up are those green serpents off the coast of Ireland, and I was like, I don't know what that is, but that makes me think.
Speaker 1: Of gorg Oh yeah, yeah, foreshadowing.
Speaker 2: So Colonel Jack Evans, remember the colonel. He shows up at the hospital to convince his friend that there was no monster. He says, he went out and he tried to reconstruct the whole scene and there was no trace of an animal like Nesbit described. But Nesbit is he's adamant. He says, I was not hallucinating. The monster was there. And you know what, there was a blizzard, so the snow covered up the tracks and everything. That's why you're not finding the evidence. Did you notice this set? I was like, what is with the walls and the door, like there's crown molding in here. It just didn't look like a hospital room. It looked like somebody's house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I did look ornate.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we eventually start getting attack scenes where the creature has made it out into the world and is attacking boats. I think there is a scene very much like what's coming up, a scene like this in the original Godzilla. So it's a dark night, there's moonlight sparkling on the seawater. You've got a grizzled boat captain and his rum soaked first mate, and they're just staring down the dark waves. And then suddenly the beast attacks the boat, kind of fumes up out of the water, filled with hate, has this horrible cruel look in its eye, and it smashes the boat to pieces. And then meanwhile we cut back to the hospital. Nesbit is getting his newspaper in the hospital. He asks the nurse, you know what's in the paper today, and the nurse says, death in politics. The comics page is the only thing that makes sense anymore in this crazy world.
Speaker 1: Give me that, Marmaduke. Yeah, the only thing that's going to make me feel better.
Speaker 2: The only way to become saying once again is Marmaduke gasoline ally, but he does not take her instruction. He starts looking at the news part and what do you know, there's a headline that says sea serpent reported off grand Banks. Well, Nesbit is convinced. Now he's like, see, I told you there is a sea serpent. That's the dinosaur I saw. So Nesbit goes to the nearby Natural History Museum to meet a new character. This is Professor Thurgood Elson, a palaeontologist played by Cecil Kellaway. Nesbit wants Elson to authorize an investigation to see if the creature awakened by the atomic test in the North was a one hundred million year old dinosaur. Elson quite reasonably has some objections to this. He says, reports of sea monsters are very common, and we don't believe all of them. Why do we have reason to think that this one is the one that's true? He says, dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years. It is not possible for them to still be alive. And Nesbit says, but what if one was frozen in ice the whole time? Don't bears hibernate over winter in a state of suspended animation. Elson says, yes, they do for one winter on food they have stored as body fat from the previous summer. A hibernation of one hundred million years would take quite an appetite.
Speaker 1: It really sound like the screenwriters are talking themselves out of the whole premise here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, like the professor, the skeptical professors make a lot of sense. But then from across the room, we suddenly cut to a different character. There's a woman who's been standing against the wall in this imposing looking kind of trench coat with this like cape around it, and she butts in. She says, Professor Elson, isn't it true that ten thousand year old mammoths have been found perfectly preserved in ice, with fur still intact and meat still edible? So we're gonna learn this is Elson's assistant, Lee Hunter's she's also a paleontologist, and Elson says yes, But nevertheless, I do not buy nesbit story. Dinosaurs don't freeze for millions of years and then come back to life.
Speaker 1: It's been a while since I've researched mammoth that remains found in the purple frost and so forth, But I forget details about the meat being edible, But did they eat the meat?
Speaker 2: I mean, technically, is anything edible if somebody will eat it?
Speaker 1: And yeah, I guess a note to self to do more research on mammoth jerkey.
Speaker 2: I feel like this has come up at some point. Didn't we talk about a famous dinner at you like the Explorers Club in New York where they where they ate frozen mammoth remains or so that's.
Speaker 1: Ringing a bell. That's ringing a bell. Okay, yeah, I think you may be right.
Speaker 2: So Nesbit leaves, and then Lee Hunter here tells Elson when he first came to this country, I attended his lectures on the curative properties of the radioactive isotope. He's a brilliant man. Isn't his story in any way feasible? So she's trying to find a way to get there, but Elson says, nope, sorry. I like him, I want to help him, but I just don't believe it. And then also throughout the scene, they're talking about how Elson is about to take his first vacation ever. I think he's never been on vacation before. He's always been down in his work, but now he's about to go to somewhere on holiday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those vacation days rolled over. So he's about to Yeah, he's about to go to I don't know, oh man, Panama City for twelve months, I don't know, three years of vacation.
Speaker 2: So back at the hospital, Nesbit is licking his wounds. And there's a funny thing that We've got radio announcers that say a lot of funny stuff in this movie. Hear what the radio announcer says is this is your hour of mirth and melody. They say music has charms to soothe the savage beast. They ought to try it on these sea monsters we keep hearing about. From Marquette, Canada. Today comes word of a second ship that was destroyed by a beast. According to a captain, George LeMay, he really ought to stop smoking that stuff and try Virginia Golds, the sponsor of today's probably you know, so, I wonder what that's rephras is in nineteen fifty three and he's talking about smoking that stuff. Was that common parlance then about?
Speaker 1: Oh? I don't know. Oh, you know, I will say that one of the radio announcers in the film, uncredited is MERV Griffin. But I don't know if this is merv Griffin in this point at this point or not.
Speaker 2: Could be so. Lee Hunter, the paleontologist, comes to Nesbit's office to follow up, and she talks about how she is sympathetic to his story because she says, I have a deep, abiding faith in the work of scientists, and I was like, is this the work of scientists? It sounds like a single scientist claiming he saw a monster?
Speaker 1: Is that what we don't say? Trust all scientists is not. That's not how science works.
Speaker 2: Right, to be clear, No trust in science. Yeah, it's about the process, not so much about like anything a scientist says is true.
Speaker 1: A scientist has a very strong opinion that he cannot prove about something outside of his particular discipline in science. Yeah, let's believe him.
Speaker 2: Absolutely anyway, So Hunter and Nesbit decide to work together. She has Nesbit tried to identify the animal he saw from illustrations of dinosaurs, and I should note that all of these would be artists interpretations based on fossil skeletons, not like photos shots. Y. Yeah, but they're working over it. And she she brings coffee and Hunter says, careful, I make coffee strong enough to compete in the Olympics, and they have a kind of flirty chat while they're doing this work. So Hunter describes how she became Elson's assistant. Basically, she she's like, I was his most annoying student. I was always challenging him and arguing with him. But he was a good teacher and he respected her grit. So he's like, come on, you can be my assistant. And so clearly they have a very positive working relationship. But then they start but then Nesbit and a Hunter start kind of flirting with each other. Nesbit says, between us, we span the ages. You deal with the past and I with the future. And then she says how uncomplicated the past was, and he says, and how bright the future can be.
Speaker 1: All right, Just so, yeah, the match made in heaven. Atomic science and paleontology.
Speaker 2: Okay, So they keep digging through all these sketches of dinosaurs and then eventually they land on one. He pulls one out and he's like, this is it. This is the creature I saw. And I thought it's funny because the one he picks out is like a way more vivid illustration than all the others. It's like a water color and all the others are sketches with pencil.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's like the most impressive of the stills from the art department here, like this one's in color. Of course, this is it. The one I saw was in color.
Speaker 2: So they identified the dinosaur as the Retosaurus or the Raidosaurus. And to be clear, this is not a real dinosaur.
Speaker 1: Correct and shockingly has not become a dinosaur. You'd think somebody, I don't know, it's different in different scientific disciplines, but nobody has been able to push through this is the name of a newly discovered dinosaur either.
Speaker 2: So when they find this picture, Hunter is convinced and Nesbit's like, I know what it is now, and they get the idea, we could prove it if we could get Captain George LeMay from this boat in Canada to like, if we could cross reference it with him, and he could say, also, that's the thing he saw. That would prove it. I don't know if that would prove it, but that's what they believe. So they call him on the phone and U and Nesbit has to speak French to this guy, so there's a lot of wei wei. But then the captain doesn't want to hear about it. So he hangs up, and then I was confused about this. The telephone operator seems to know a lot about the captain's the operators like he's a stubborn old man, especially on the subject of sea serpents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess this is how it used to work. I mean, my understanding of old timey telephones and tell phone operators is mostly based on what pops up in old movies and TV shows. But I guess it was like a local telephone operator who just knows everybody, listens into all the calls.
Speaker 2: She's been on the line the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so after this, Nesbit flies up to Canada to meet le May in person. You might try calling a second time.
Speaker 1: First, but he ain't answering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. He flies up, he can't find the captain, I think he's left town, but instead finds the other guy from the boat, the first mate. He is lying in a hospital bed surrounded by French nuns, and Nesbit goes up to him and he's like, look, buddy, I promise you if you come to New York, there are going to be a lot of people who believe your story. So Nesbit brings the boat guy to New York to meet Elson, and Elson is he has this talk with Lee Hunter where he's like, well, I could lose my job and my reputation for listening to this, but Lee, I don't want to mess up budding romance, so I'm gonna hear him out as a favor to you. And then also he reads this historical anecdote about a professor from the eighteenth century who was disciplined by the Royal Society because he claimed he saw leprechauns uprooting of venerated campus oak. So Nesbit arrives with his witness and Nesbit when he gets there, he's already gloating about how you know, they tried to put Galileo in jail for saying the Earth was round, but it turns out he was right, and I'm sorry to be pedantic. That is not what Galileo got in trouble, for everybody knew the Earth was round. It was about whether the Earth goes around the Sun anyway. So this is also one of the cases where there's more like skeptic versus believer dialogue here, And it's one of those times in movies where the skeptic that we're supposed to be rooting against makes good points, and the hero that whose side were supposed to be on keeps saying things that don't make sense or are logical fallacies. So they have this exchange where Nesbit's like, if a particle of the sun broke off and flew into space, I wouldn't consider the man who brought that news to be insane. As a scientist, I would examine every facet of it. Uh, And then Elson makes the reasonable points like, yeah, but that would we would know. We would know about that because people would see it, like you would have direct evidence of it. And then Nesbit says if it broke off, it would make no difference if one saw it, or if no one at all saw it, it would still be the same as the monster. It still is. And I was just thinking, wait, I mean, obviously things are whether somebody sees them or not. But the question is does Elson have any evidence, like did yeah, other than the sky just saying.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so far he has nothing concrete to present here, Right, he saw it. We have another guy who may have seen it, and that said no footprints, no, no no body nothing.
Speaker 2: Nesbit's just within like not understanding the nature of the critique. But anyway, okay, things are about to change because this guy from Canada comes into the room, the guy from the boat. He is shown the drawings of the dinosaurs and he picks out the same drawing that Nesbit did. Elson is immediately a convert. He's like, oh, okay, let's call the president. I think there's a dinosaur. And so they put Elson on the phone with Colonel Evans and he says, this is a quote. I'm convinced that this creature exists, and I'm willing to stake my reputation on the one eighty is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, two people pick the same photo. What are the chances? What are the same chances? The same picture other not photo.
Speaker 2: Now, after this we get to a great scene, which is the attack on the lighthouse. Yes we mentioned this earlier, but whatever you're calling it. The dinosaur, the monster, the lizard, the retosaurus. It crawls up up on this rocky shore in Maine and it's up there on the boulders and we see the lighthouse in silhouette. They've got like a miniature model of it against the you know, the the black sky in the background with the light on up top, and then we cut inside and we have the two lighthouse keepers who are talking about their favorite body songs. One guy's like, I like songs about gin and women and another ones like, oh, I like the you know, the sad sad tales. Uh. And you know they're having a back and forth, and then suddenly this monster is outside, like raw and it looks in through the window. So there's like a shot where you see it's face through the glass and there's rain falling outside, and it's very spooky because the monster in this shot looks like a snake with fangs. Did you notice that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah. And indeed, these scenes I think are this scene and the Arctic scene are both key because again, the most iconic sequences from this film are rampaging and broad daylight in New York, and those are impressive sequences, but I think we get a bit more of a horror atmosphere in these two earlier sequences.
Speaker 2: I love the way it looks later when you can get a good look at it, but I agree in the earlier scenes it's much creepier. Yeah, So we get some different things going on. In the meantime, there is one scene where somebody goes to I think it's the Kernel, following up on Elson vouching for the idea of the dinosaur, and he goes to a military buddy of his and he's like, look, I want you to come and report back to me if there are any freak happenings. And the guy's like, okay, I'll let you know about free happenings and let.
Speaker 1: Me know about the freak happenings. Daddy O. I think it's an invite to a drum circle. Later and it's like no, no, no, I n monster.
Speaker 2: Attacks and then Nesbit and Hunter also they go to the ballet they get box seats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're in kind of a padding zone.
Speaker 2: In the picture at this point, but much like Godzilla, we see characters eventually figuring out they're kind of mapping contact points along along the sea coast and they notice that the monster is like it's here, and it's here, and it's here, and it's plotting a course for the metropolis. So they start talking about what can be done about this creature. Elson, the paleontologist, does not want the creature killed. He wants to study it to understand it, and he says I know what we'll do. I'm going to survey the undersea canyons where we think the monster is traveling. I'm going to do that in person in a diving bell to see it for myself. And if I see it, then I can think up a means of capture safely capturing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now this leads to the diving bell slash Bathisphere scene, which is one of my favorite parts of the movie. I thought this whole sequence is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is really tremendous, builds up some wonderful tension. You don't want anything bad to happen to the professor, even though certainly by modern standards, you know it's going to happen. And this also brings back memories from our twenty nineteen episodes about the Bathisphere, about the actual underwater exploration device, vehicle, enclosure, whatever you want to call it. So if you're interested in this sort of thing, go look those episodes up in the backlog.
Speaker 2: The short pitch on the Bathisphere, which is kind of horrifying if you think about it, is that it was a device used to observe deep underwater. It was not a powered submarine, it had no propulsion of its own. It was basically just an enclosed ball, metal ball that was dangled off of a boat, way way down deep into the water. So if that line falls, you're just going down.
Speaker 1: And he claimed to see in some cases things that have never been fully verified. So it's a really interesting story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Bathisphere very interesting. But I love the part in the movie here where there's this almost ceremonial ceiling of the old scientist inside the bell, and Elson is just giddy. He's not afraid all really, he's so excited about what he's going to get to see down there.
Speaker 1: To give him his coffee, right, he gets a kiss, yeah, and then seal him in. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're trying to Yeah, they're trying to give him drama. Mean He's like, I don't need that. I don't need my drama. Mean, I'm just I'm high on life, you know, I'm ready. But also I love here the underwater landscape they achieve with these models and sets. You've got these tall, thin spires of undersea rock that look like giant tree trunks, and then this tiny diving bell hanging in the black. And as they're descending, the professor says, I feel like I'm leaving a world of untold Tomorrow's for a world of countless yesterdays.
Speaker 1: The screenwriters keep touching on this idea, like of the past meeting tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something going on there. I don't know exactly what it is, maybe maybe suggesting something about barbarity, or I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into that. They've got some kind of past future thing.
Speaker 1: It might be there. I think it might might legitimately be there. So yeah, I think it's a valid reading.
Speaker 2: But then when they get down to the bottom, so he's looking out the window and he sees an octopus, and then he sees a shark, and then he says, oh, there appears to be a slight difference of opinion between two of the local inhabitants, and the shark and the octopus start fighting each other. But then oh, a third animal makes an appearance, and it is our ritosaurus. It is the monster, and Elson is astonished. He's got this little wired telephone that he uses to call the ship above. He demands that they put Hunter on the line. He's like, get these military officers off the line. I need to talk to my assistant. So she gets on the line and he starts making like anatomical observations. He's like, the upper clavicle is cantileveric, and then he's like making these kind of observations. But then suddenly the line goes dead and we don't see what happened below. He's just looking and he's talking and the line goes dead. What happened? Obviously it did not end well, and we are I think, just left to assume that the monster has eaten the diving bell. Yeah, and so here we get more monologues like after the fact reflecting from Hunter, where she's very sad. You know, Elson was like a father to her. She reiterates again that you know, he was about to take his first vacation ever, and we see Nesbit comforting her while she mourns. But then there's not much time left for morning because about now we're gonna have the New York attack. So during this sequence, the dinosaur rises up out of a harbor around Manhattan, so comes up on the docks, first seen by doc workers who run away, and then everybody starts noticing. They run screaming as the dinosaur comes up onto the shore and then onto the streets between the buildings and is making his way down the avenue. There's one thing that's almost funny, where there's this policeman grimly squaring off against the dinosaur, drawing his weapon and just standing there scowling. He takes a while to finally shoot, but then he does start shooting at it. It doesn't work. The dinosaur eats him and we see his legs wiggling outside of the dinosaur's mouth. We see the creature crushing cars with its feet with this brigade of cops with shotguns come out of the precinct and start blasting it to drive it back. This whole sequence is pretty awesome, Rob, I don't know what else you want to highlight from here.
Speaker 1: Ah, No, it is just an awesome sequence. It's very iconic. I think if people have seen any clips from the film or any stills, they've probably seen this sequence. And it just it does. It looks amazing. It creates a very believable sense of early fifties New York being attacked by a giant monster. And again like broad broad daylight, yes, but still great use of shadows, just terrific.
Speaker 2: Stuff, chases people into the subway. Yeah, and then we get another radio report, so the radio announcer says New York is like a city besieged. A state of emergency has been declared and the entire police force put on twenty four hour duty. Civilian defense is fully mobilized, and shelters have been opened in an effort to stop the mounting hysteria. All traffic has been halted and Times Square, the heart of New York, has stopped beating.
Speaker 1: Several elmos have been eaten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Superman, where is he now? The National Guard has been called out, fully armed to repel the invader. This is full scale war against a terrible enemy such as modern man has never before faced. Ordinary bullets have no effect, and a method of destroying the awesome creature has not yet been formulated. But the battlefield has been cleared. Harald Square, thirty four Street, Broadway, every section of the city is guarded. No one knows where the monster will strike next. It was last seen on Wall Street, close to where it came ashore, but Lower Manhattan has become no man's land, where the beast at present lies hidden. The National Guard is barricading the entire area in an effort to confine the death and destruction of what is already the worst disaster in New York's history.
Speaker 1: Wow, so even worse than the King Kong thing decades earlier, I guess.
Speaker 2: So. Yeah, And we do see some of the aftermath, like we see hospitals afterwards, where the doctors are going through checking on people, and it really emphasizes the monster attack as a disaster with aftermath, not just like a conflict between the monster and the military.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's not just people that have you know, clearly there's a lot of chaos and destruction, but also this sense that it's like making people sick. Yeah, you know, it's it has these different spiraling consequences.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I did like that it was I think rather nuanced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people with fevers and stuff afterwards. So after this, you get more scenes of the armed forces versus the Retosaurus. They're coming out with bazukas. They've got electrified wire fence put up, and they can sort of drive the monster back but apparently not kill it. It seems somehow invincible. And then they there's a strange observation like soldiers who go hunting after the dinosaur after they blast it with some weapons, start becoming weak and feverish, and they're collapsing in the street. Turns out, in addition to everything else, the animal's blood carries a horrible virus that can infect and kill humans, and contact with this blood can be fatal. So this leads them to realize, Okay, we thought we could stop the creature by bombing it, but we can't bomb it because that will spread particles of this virus into the air, which will spread and kill more people. So how can we feed it without spilling its blood? Very interesting problem that will be replicated in other stories, but mainly the ones I'm thinking of come later. Like I'm thinking of Alien. In the original Alien, this is a big part of the plot a different reason there. In Alien, the crew of the Nostromo figure out that the xenomorph has acidic blood that could eat through the hull of the spacecraft and kill everybody if they you know, blow it up or whatever. So they're like, how are we going to deal with it without spilling this acidic blood and you know, maybe getting vented into space because it ate through the hull. And different thing going on here, but it results in the same thing is like, we've got to find a way to fight the creature without getting its gore out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, Nesbit comes in to save the day because he's like, I've got it, you know, Colonel Jack. There's one way to beat him my personal specialization, which is radioactive isotopes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And so in this they will forge the special weapon that can be used against the beast. In this we really get into this crazy ending for the picture, and I think it really the ending really puts the film over the top. And again it's not even that crazy of a formula. We have a secret weapon to use against a giant monster, we have knowledge of a singular weak spot to aim at, and we need a skilled marksman hero to deploy the weapon. Again, pretty much the exact same formula for killing the Dragon's smog and the Hobbit, and just a common monster slaying formula throughout mythic and ancient literature. We see it, for example, in the North of volsunga Saga, the ancient Mesopotamian and Numa a Leish, the Romagnina the as well as the Argonautica and concerning respectively the monsters Fafnir, tiamat, Ravana, Talaus, and again there are many others from many other different cultures and traditions. It's a basic formula, and in this the Beast from twenty thousand fathoms is again like nicely positioned within the canon of deep human history and monster slang. Truly one of our oldest myths, but the movie puts things over the top in a most delightful manner. So the Beast here is rampage. They've kind of you again. These wars between local police and military and the National Guard against the Beasts have been raging all over the city, across all the burroughs, and now almost like the I guess, like the end of the Warriors, the action has been pushed to Coney Island and the Beast is rampaging through the wooden roller coaster, the Coney Island Cyclone built nineteen twenty seven, so it's just shy of one hundred years old, still active. You can still ride this thing. I never have. I've only done the Wonder Wheel. But yeah, it's rampaging, breaking up the Coney Island Cyclone, and it becomes clear that the only way that our marksmen, Corporal Stone, this is Lee van Cleef, who, like you know, they proudly basically they have the weapon. It's like an isotope weapon that it's on the front of a rifle something radioactive.
Speaker 2: They're carrying it around in this giant lead.
Speaker 1: Case like Holy hand grenaders.
Speaker 2: So they have to like lift it out of its containment because obviously I guess it's ionizing everything around it. They put it on the end of a rifle like a harpoon, and then Lee van Cleef has to get up on the on the roller coaster to shoot it at the animal's weak spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have questions about the ballistics of that, but fair enough, we have our special weapon. And they're like, who's who's the best marksman. You've got military dudes, and they're like, oh, it's stone. And then you know, Lee van Cleef comes out and he's like, well, you need me to do it. Shoot a giant monster. You got it. But it becomes clear that they don't have the proper vantage point. The only way they can get the proper vantage point to make the shot and hit that one weak spot on the creature is to ride the half destroyed roller coaster up to the very crest. And that's what our protagonist and our monster slayer, Le Van Cleef, are gonna do. They put on these really kind of creepy radio suits. Like you said, they have the box with the isotope weapon in it, and they're like, Okay, fire up this half destroyed roller coaster. We're going to go up there and do it.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. Yeah, And then also we get to see like they go up to the top of the crest and the coaster and then the cars go on without them, so like they go sliding down and they watch them crash and explode, and the Stone gets the shot off, it goes into the wound in the monster's neck. The isotope gets in there, sickens the monster, and then we see it kind of pacing around, clearly suffering. There's something there's a little bit of pathos there. You almost feel sad for the monster a little bit, and then kind of it becomes weak and then it falls down and dies. The whole roller coaster is on fire, by the way, fire on the coaster. Nesbit and Corporal Stone get back. Nesbit hugs with Lee Hunter and the monsters dead and that's the end, very abrupt ending, like a lot of these fifties monster movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a lot of them do follow this formula. What the monster has been killed, the authorities killed the monster. At the end, everybody can home, can go home happy and safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not even not even he tampered in God's domain. Not even a single line of comment. It's just monsters dead. The whole thing's over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what an ending. Yeah, I was not prepared. I was barely prepared for le Van Kleef to show up and just do all the hero work and then the roller coaster amazing, So just maximum points for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I think really well put together ending. The climax really works, I would say, especially because of some weird, unusual, very inspired choices of visual texture that go in there, primarily setting it at the roller coaster and the use of those super creepy looking radiation suits the costumes. Really they put you in a different mood for the end here, something like our heroes have become kind of monstrous themselves, and they don't look they don't look nice in those radiations ses. It's very creepy look and so something I don't know. It really works right at the end, especially.
Speaker 1: And I also liked that they did have to go the extra mile and do the extra daring deed to pull off the shot because a lot of these movies end with more of an abrupt Oh, authorities are here, shoot the monster and it's done, whereas like true heroics and a little extra daring did have to go into the finish here and it makes it just makes it. It makes it far more dramatically satisfying.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so enjoyed it. I like the pick rub Oh yeah, thanks, Yeah. I had a lot of fun with this one, and again, great to see it on the big screen. I encourage everyone out there, if you get a chance to see any giant monster movie on the big screen, do it, because the monsters are bigger that way. That's what the format exists for.
Speaker 2: If only they'd had to IMAX back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, so that said the Beast from twenty thousand fathoms, though I was never really clear of the Beast was truly from twenty thousand fathoms or if it just visited twenty thousand fathoms at times.
Speaker 2: So it's from the it was in the ice right, yeah, where the ice is on the top of the ocean, not at the bottom.
Speaker 1: But it's built from twenty thousand fathoms. It's like, I don't know, it's maybe this a show business speak.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe it went twenty thousand Fathoms after it came out of the ice, but before it went to New York City, because that's where the professor goes down to see it.
Speaker 1: I remember, yeah, But once it gets to New York City, it can immediately say it's from New York City. I think those are the rules. It is officially in New Yorker. All right, we're gonna go and close it out there. But I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this one. If you have experience with the Beast from twenty Thousand Fathoms or other Ray Harry Howsen films that you are particularly fond of, and you'd like for us to cover in the future, right in, we would love to hear from you. Just a reminder that Steft to Bow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with corpisodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film here on Weird House Cinema. You can find us on various social media formats ays stuff to Blow your Mind, but on Letterboxed we exist there just as Weird House Cinema. Look us up our name there is Weird House, and you can find a list of all the movies we've covered over the years and sometimes if peek ahead at what comes next.
Speaker 2: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.