Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host coleeen Witt, and today we have very special guests. Actor comedian while now crossan Novah Bobby J. And rapper Bobby J. Thompson is in the building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we in here. What's handy.
Speaker 1: I'm really excited to have you. As I mentioned, like, we've definitely crossed paths in the past, so it's nice to have you. Y.
Speaker 2: Please fed me.
Speaker 1: I love when guests come on the show and they feed me, but I'm always nervous about what you're gonna feed me. Yeah, so why don't you go ahead and tell me what you're about to cook me up?
Speaker 2: All right, So I'm gonna keep you know what I mean, real simple, old fashion you know what I mean, A good old bacon sandwich, you know what I'm saying. I've never been a real big egg fan like I've always but I like bacon and bread like it's always been my thing, the meat and the bread. Pause.
Speaker 1: And there's no like condiments.
Speaker 2: No, Nope, I've never because it's like, what do you put on a sandwich? Like catch up with bacon? No hot sauce, hot sauce, but it just depends on how I'm feeling. That was more so before I stopped eating pork. So the hot sauce with the pork bacon was like fire turkey bacon. Hot sauce not so much, but just the bread, the flavor of the turkey bacon. It was just enough for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you go ahead and start cooking it up, and while you cooking it up, you gotta take me back. Oh, by the way, this is electric. I know some of a lot of people are used to cooking on.
Speaker 2: All type of stuff. I haven't been through all types of walks of life, hot plates, all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you you started very young in the industry. C yeah, yeah, So I'm curious what the heck was going on when you was the in bacon and bread.
Speaker 2: So what it was is, I'm gonna tell you the crazy part about it. Right. So for me, I wasn't so much. I wasn't like fifty rich, but I wasn't like flat broke. But my mama didn't want me, didn't want money to raise me. So I didn't know that I really that I was a kid with money, you know what I'm saying. Like I had came from mama working two jobs. Sometimes every man for himself, make it do what he did. That was one of my mamas saying, every man for himself that night. I ain't cooking shit figured out, you know what I'm saying. So with me, Like, I've never been big on vegetables, never been big on like you know what I mean, a lot of different shit. I've always been god damn meating potatoes or like you know what I mean, meating bread type of nigga.
Speaker 1: Now are you still like that? You still don't eat a lot of edgies?
Speaker 2: No, And my mama tell me all the time, like, boy, you're getting older, you better start eating vegetables. Is you're gonna pay for it. And I'm hard headed, hard headed as hell. I am very much hard headed, But sometimes I eat vegetables, especially now like I got kids now, so like I gotta kind of try to eat vegetables because if I don't, then my son gonna be like, well, Daddy, you don't eat vegetables. Yeah, so I gotta try to, you know what I mean, be a good example for the children. But I'm really not a big vegetable fan. Like I'm not even gonna lie to you like, I'm a nigga that's gonna eat steak and mashed potatoes and two pieces of broccoli, and I feel like that's a good helping for me. I just I don't know why either, because vegetables don't taste bad. I just don't fucking like them. I don't know why bro Like, I'm just I don't know. I'm a carnivore. I don't want no damn grass.
Speaker 1: So I guess vegan's not in your your forete.
Speaker 2: Oh hell no, not a chance. I could never do. I commend the ones that are vegan, but me, I could never be vegan. I like burgers and steaks and chicken wings and shit like that, and I don't think no substitution can taste I'm not gonna lie. At one time in Atlanta had some slutty vegan and that burger was damn good.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to try.
Speaker 2: It was damn good. I could taste where it wasn't real ground. However, it wasn't bad. It was like it still tastes good as fuck. Like if somebody would have gave it to me without telling me it was slutty vegan, they probably would have got over on me. But because of the fact I knew that it was slutty vegan, I feel like my taste bud was looking for the inconsistencies, the non ground beef tasting shit.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you, I'm like you in the sense that I like meat, but uh in La, they do vegan so well that like my guilty pleasure is vegan food. Like if you like Colleen, where do you want to go eat? I'm like sushi or vegan.
Speaker 2: I can't get jiggy with sushi. I just can't for some reason.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I'm just such a nigga. I feel like it just doesn't make sense for me to eat sushi. I'm just like bro, I'm just the nigga.
Speaker 1: But if you eat sushi with like people in Hollywood, they get the little pieces of fish.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: If you come with me, just hang with me one time, like.
Speaker 2: My fish dead and fried Christ.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I agree with that, But I'm telling you I order food where it's like I ordered the eel. I always I love smoked eel, so it's not really wrong.
Speaker 2: I've never even heard that.
Speaker 1: I'm not even trying to beg you, but let me just let me show you how sushi's done one time.
Speaker 2: I'm with it. I like trying new stuff, but it just it takes. It takes someone to be like, come on, I'm telling you, I'm going to try new stuff on my own, like I like it. I'm not that nigga gonna be riding on streaming like you know what sushi restaurant go try? It has to be with somebody like, nah, come here, this is what you get.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna order it for you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, and we're good. You know what I mean? I will definitely.
Speaker 1: Well, so you started in acting, Like what was your first big thing? My first and how old were you?
Speaker 2: I was about six years old. I want to say. My first film was My Baby's Daddy with Eddie Griffin, Anthony Anderson and Michael Imperial. That was my first film. I played a kind of small role in it. I played like Eddie Griffin's baby, Mama's little brother. And what's crazy is for me like acting was never really in the cards for me, Like I alway thought I was would be a rapper, like I just always I've always had a love for music. I've always rapped, Like I got my start on the Apollo rapping. So when the acting thing kind of kicked off, it was new to me, but it was fun, you know what I mean? I found I found fun in it, and I'm like, man, this is something I could do, you know what I mean? So from there, I did Tracy Morgan Show, which was an NBC television show sitcom on NBC, and that was probably like my first like big thing where I'm a series regular. I'm in every episode and you know, I'm kind of making my mark in Hollywood, I would say, because you know what I mean? That was like me, that's where I kind of made my name. Man, Like people would tell me I stole the show like that was like it was talks for me to do a spinoff on me, but it was like, well, what do we do? We do a spinoff on a fucking five year old six six, seven year old without appearance like what happens to live with his grandma? Like is he a troubled seven year old all of a sudden? Like so obviously didn't pan out, but yeah, like I think that's when I realized, like I'm good at that shit.
Speaker 1: So your mom kind of introduced you to it? Did you come from a single.
Speaker 2: I came from a single parent household by way of my daddy being incarcerated, you know what I mean. But at the same time, my daddy made his presence felt you know what I'm saying, And that's when they I always commend my dad for God rest his soul. Like no matter what prison I got, Christmas gift, Birthday gifts, calls all time, all the time, Like I never if nobody told me that my daddy was in jail. I just thought, like, my daddy is in Kansas City. I'm in Los Angeles chasing this dream right now. But I like if I would have never been told, like your dad's incarcerated, Like my mom was never really wanted to hide nothing from me and my little sister, Like she was very open with telling us, I mean everything on a need to know basis for the most part, like she she felt like that was something we needed to know. And you know what I mean, this is what's going on. But it's all right. That don't mean your daddy not gonna, don't love you, don't want to be in life. If he's dealing with something right now, and you know what I mean, He'll be there when he can. But you know, what I mean. Like I said, my daddy did get the best to make his presence felt from prison, and you know what I mean, my mama was amazing, Like she was amazing and everything, being the in home parent of mama and dad, you know what I mean, even though, like I said, my dad wasn't absent, he just was incarcerated, you know what I mean. But so I guess I could say I had a single parent household, but not really, you know what I mean, because I did have both parents. But yeah, man, like it just was one of them things where it was like my neighbor I used to my mom used to work two jobs. She would come home, she would be tired. And obviously I'm a kid with energy. I want to go outside, I want to play. I come from the era of playing outside. We had no fucking iPads and dig yeah. Yeah the first we had the big booty computers when I was a kid, like the motherfucker that with the big back on the bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rich to have one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my brother, we want to Rich. My brother stole the parts and put it together. Long line of criminal activity in my life is line to you. So yeah, so my neighbors man I used to go outside and play with my neighbors all the time, and I would always find myself kind of putting on the show for them, you know what I mean, whether I'm just rapping, I'm just entertaining. I might be imitating my local pastor, you know what I mean. Like that's I and from there, like a lady by the name of Cynthia, who was my neighbor. She was like one of the first people to kind of see in me, what you I mean, what other seeing in me later on down the line, because every day after school, I would be outside with her and her kids, and I would just be entertaining the shit out of them. Like and it's crazy, because I was so young, I can't really quite remember everything that I was doing, but I can remember. I have glimpses of, like I said, me imitating my pastor me rapping whatever rap song. Like I said, at this time, I'm nothing about I'm not even in school. I'm like coming on from daycare. I'm about four years old, maybe you know what I'm saying, Like I'm not even in preschool yet. So I was advanced, like to know these rap songs and to be able to, you know, me catch on to them and rap them word for word, Like I was four years old and I knew Little Wayne the block is Hot from start to finish, like couldn't like for one, like, Nigga, how do you even how are you catching on of these words at four years old?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: And Miss Cinthy used to always tell my mama like, he's special, like you need to get him into some dinner. It's something you need to put him into something, he's special. When my mama don't see it. My mama's wrestling and working and you know what I mean, and her my time with Miss Cinthy is her kind of rest time when I come in the House of Time where to prepare dinner, get us ready for the next day, get her ready for her next workday. So she didn't really see it often. It wasn't until one day we was riding the car and the Block Is Hot came on the radio and I wrapped that motherfucker from start to finish, And my mama looked back and was she was like nigga, like surprised, like what the fuck? Like, cause, for one, it was crazy because my mama didn't play rap music in her car. My MoMA played strictly gospel music. So once she was like, where the fuck did you hear this at? And how are you hearing it enough to be able to notice shit from start to finish like that, you know what I'm saying. So it caught her by surprise, and I think from there that's what she knew, Like, Okay, what these people are telling me about my son is true, Like he's special, like she's you know, he's just a kid with energy. He I mean, he's just a kid, dude energy, and he's you know, I mean, y'all entertained because he's not y'all kid, you know what I meaning. So everybody's more entertained by other people kids than they own. That's just natural, especially as a parent. Now I get it now, Like my son, dudes, I'm like Nigga, you bad. Other people like man, he's hilarious, he's funny, he's smart as hell. I'm like, man, I do bad. So it's just a difference. So with that, like after she seen me or heard me rap that song, she kind of took heed of what people were saying. And it just so happened that the Apollo Theater was holding auditions in my city. At the time, so they held an audition at our local mall. I won the audition to go represent Kansas City in New York, and from there, like I said, it just took off. Like I said, from they went Tracy from Ner went My Baby's Daddy, Tracy Morgan Show. But like in between, I did all the crazy talk shows, Sally Ricky Lake, Jenny Jones, like all the talk shows that motherfucker's my age don't even remember existing. And I wouldn't even remember it existing if I wasn't known the motherfucker, you know what I'm saying. Like, so it's kind of crazy to be like the nostalgia that like all the things I've done, like leading up to you know what I mean, where I got to and where I am now, Like kind of crazy, But it was it's dope to see like like my mama actually believed in me, you know what I mean. Like it started with my mama like she was like, oh no, but once she's seen it for herself, she believed in me. My mama had a career, she was a she was a a r n she was a registered nurse. And there's not it's not no bad job. There's not no dead end job to where it's like, that's just a job you throw away to go chase a pipe dream and move to l a like.
Speaker 1: And she did that.
Speaker 2: She did that for me.
Speaker 1: How old were you at the time I was?
Speaker 2: I was I was about six or seven years old at the time. I was young as hell. And the people told her Kansas City, Missouri.
Speaker 1: That's a big feat hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she packed up and the people told her, if you leave, you can't come back.
Speaker 1: What was the conversation between if you can recollect? Like, what was the conversation between you and her at that age?
Speaker 2: Like, I just remember telling my mam, I'm gonna make you richie. You don't never have to work no more.
Speaker 1: At five or six, That's all I remember.
Speaker 2: But that was the only thing that was said. And like I said, my mama was still to this day, she's she's deep in church christian She looked, she she she she started to say something to me like boy, and then she caught herself and looked and said, God, I received it. And from there, you know what I mean. She she took the necessary steps to make that that dream and what that what I said to her, She took a step to make that reality, you know what I mean. So like without my mama like believing and really you know what I mean, giving up what she what she was doing as far as working, and you know what I mean, making things happen like that, nothing nothing goes, nothing shakes for me. Like like I said, my mama was belief in me and belief in you know what I mean, the fact that God put an anointing on me at a young age to do something specially like I said, I come from a long line of all my mama's sons feelings like I come from.
Speaker 1: Fuck, how many siblings do you?
Speaker 2: I got four brothers, the youngest. I'm the youngest boy.
Speaker 1: You got eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not all my mama. My mama got five of them. Though. My mama got four boys with me included. And then I got a little sister, so I'm the second to youngest period.
Speaker 1: So she moved the entire family.
Speaker 2: No, because my older my older brother is ten years older than me, twelve years older than me, fifteen years older than me, so it was a large gap. So by the time my career started, one of my brothers was doing a ten year bid. The other two was knee deep in the streets and she it wasn't no, it wasn't no, rilling them back in at the time they had made their decisions to be and I said, they jump up to the porch young, my brother jump up to porch thirteen fourteen. I said, at fifteen, my brother called his first case and got sented to ten years. So my oldest brother, you know what I mean. So from there, So do.
Speaker 1: You think also in her decision was like she had already.
Speaker 2: Wanted something different. She was like, if I want something different, I have to kind of help him see something different because naturally I'm gonna want to be like my big brothers run behind my big brothers.
Speaker 1: That kind of similar to what kind of happened with Kevin Hart and his brother, Like I don't know if you heard one of his own Like mom was like, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Like you came because of what? Yeah, because of that, And you.
Speaker 1: Think that's kind of like what your mom was like, I'm just not gonna roll the dice on Bobby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Like she she took heed to what was going on and she said, you know what I mean, I'm gonna I'm gonna do something different, you know what I mean? And show him something different and give him a chance at being something different. Now, I did still fuck up, just like my brothers. But that was my own decision. That wasn't no situation like. That was me just making dumb decisions down the line when I got older, getting too big for my bridges in a sense, you know what I'm saying. But my mama did everything she could to steer me in a whole different direction.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then now you're doing your acting thing. You you land this big gig at six Yeah, now you move before you land the gig. Correct.
Speaker 3: We moved?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I want to say we moved to La. We was like looking for places in La shortly. No, I was while I was auditioning. That's when I was audition for the Tracy Morgan Show. We were staying at a little motel called the night In Still there right there on the Vinuenta. I want to say, that is really right right by Universal Studios, Like we're staying right there by the subway, by that place where people take all the everybody take their head shots, like and in the midst of us staying there. I had an audition for Tracy Morgan Show, and I booked it. So from there, but my mama had already lost her job because I did a movie called Full Clip in Los Angeles. Matter of fact, that's what I was in LA for when I audition for Tracy Morgan Show. And once we finished filming, I stayed a little longer to do some auditions and try to get some things going because my mama knew, like, there's nothing to go back to. We got this little we got this my baby daddy money. We got the Full Clip month with movie money, but eventually that's gonna run out, especially the price of living in LA. She's like, man, once I get to you know what I mean, getting get us into a place and enroll them in school, be.
Speaker 1: Able to touch the money though, because I heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's a percentage of it goes to a trust fund. But you know what I mean, Yeah, there's always you know what I mean, there's you need something to live off of obviously, So yeah, like she had a percentage, and you know what I mean, from there, she once I did, once I audition for Tracy Morgan Show, I booked it, and you know what I mean, that was that was like okay, that was her way to exhale, like okay, cool, Like it's paying off something that's gonna be steady. We know, we got something that's gonna gonna be to check every week. Like now we're we're she's comfortable. She's like, okay, cool, I can breathe. I'm about seven now, I'm freshly turning seven.
Speaker 1: Did you at that age understand money? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hell no, I didn't understand money. I didn't know what it meant. Ten you give me ten ten crisp dollar bills. I feel like I'm the richest kid in the world because I come I come from nothing. I really come from still, and I remember vividly it probably I had to be three, I said, like, I come from a long line of just fucking criminals. Man years old, we're still in not the liquor store, at our neighborhood liquor store. I'm three, probably four years old. I'm I'm seeing them still, so I'm putting it in my pocket. Yeah, like it just that's you know what I mean, that's what came natural. And no, I'm seeing y'all do it. So that's what we're doing. You know what I'm saying. That's that's the one thing you got to see it. I got that little crisp on, the little crispon the gotta have to crunch.
Speaker 1: But at this young age, do you start to feel any type of pressure. I guess that's what I'm trying to get it, Like, did you feel any type of pressures?
Speaker 2: Like And that's another thing that credits No, that's nothing that that's a credit to my mama because one of the first things she told me before shit even got to like a point where it was like, let's say, like to where it was big and it was getting like colossal in a way, like she made sure to let me know, like, if you ever stop having fun with this shit, we're done with this shit, okay, Like she told me that from Jump Street. The moment it's not fun for you no more, you let me know, and it's over with the moment. You just want to go back to being a regular kid to go to school, and that's what we'll do. So I always had that freedom to be like, whether I'm failing succeeding, whether it's going my way not going my way, I can say fuck this shit, and my mama gonna behind me because she's not moved by the money she's not moved by with the shit that enticed most parents when it comes to having their kids in Hollywood, Like because it was never my mama's plan to do this. This was something that she just it was God's plan, and my mam will follow God's plan. But this was never her plan. She's like, it makes me no never mind, because if I got to I'm gonna go back to work and I'm gonna provide for minds. That was always her attitude about it. Like it was never no if ans or butts about it with my mama. So that made any type of pressure kind of subside, any type of pressure that could have been there. It was like, there ain't no way because I don't got her. You feel me, It ain't shit I gotta do but say, I'm done with this shit, and I can literally be done with this shit. Ain't nobody gonna be forcing me. Like a lot of child actors didn't have that to where their parents put them before the money. You know what I'm saying, Like my mama put me before the money, and like that's kind of why I shaped and molded how I came how I am, Like I'm humble, I'm kind of I'm down on earth for the most part, Like I'm not really because I've never been raised that the money was everything. I've always been raised like moral, those principles, you know what I mean, what you stand for, what you stand on is what means the most. You know what I'm saying. Family, That's what means. I mean, like ship like that, Like that's just how it was brought up. Yeah, So there was never really no pressure on my on my part ever, for real, I don't think so. Yeah, not that I could ever remember. I don't never remember. Pressure started once I got older. I started to put pressure on myself when I got older too, to live up to everything and all they to compress as a young bull. I'm like, I can't. I can't do nothing less than that. Now. I did so much great as a young good it's not good enough no more.
Speaker 1: And I was gonna say, was there ever a gap in between you being a young guy that was clearly very successful in his career, Like was there a gap where there was?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, was like Nigga fucked Bobby Jay where they chewed me up as good as I was tasting and they spit me out absolutely.
Speaker 1: And what did that feel like, and what was your thought process through that? It was are you good?
Speaker 2: You're good? I was probably about, I say, probably a freshman in high school is when shit really started like slowing down and it came to like a damnar complete stop at a time, like it was it shit just wasn't popping, Like it wasn't going like it. Shit wasn't popping. I was doing Hello auditions, I wasn't booking shit. I wasn't you know what I mean, It wasn't shit really popping, And like for me, it was like, damn, like what am I doing wrong? In a sense, you know what I'm saying? I questioned myself like damn, am I not good enough? No more? Did they only? Was I only good enough as this kid just playing this badass smart mouth kid? Was that the only thing they wanted me for it to be that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Do they not think I can really act and play different roles and do different things? Like so it troubled me for show. It troubled me for show?
Speaker 1: And then did you feel like peer pressure because like now at this point you're.
Speaker 2: Famous, right, Yeah, Like I could say I felt I definitely felt a lot of I wouldn't say it was really peer pressure because the kids around me wasn't. Really I was the one pressure in kids like nigga, I'm because I was smoking weed early. I was. I was the one like bringing motherfuckers alone.
Speaker 1: And when I say pressure, I'm not saying from your school because at your school you're the.
Speaker 2: Time and I stayed two years.
Speaker 1: Where you you were very popular, right, But industry wise, were you feeling some type of pressure?
Speaker 2: No, because even amongst my friend group of other child actors, I was the most successful. Okay, in my in my break, like this is not the sound cock, he's not to be arrogant, none of that in my in the time when it slowed down for me, none of the niggas I came up with caught me, okay, and not just that's just that's just the.
Speaker 1: Guys on the true But how long was the break?
Speaker 2: It lasted Probably a good she at least a good five or seven years.
Speaker 1: I said, that's long.
Speaker 2: That's a break that's been in a decade. The show my whole my whole time in high school, like I ain't had no motion, like I was living off of residual and sh I have been doing like I think I I probably did Tyler Perry's House of Pain and Tyler Perrys for Better or Worse for a couple of years during high school. But I fucked that.
Speaker 5: Up on my throat dumb decisions.
Speaker 2: Uh, one of my buddies took his mama car and me just like I'm a loyal nigga, Like, nigga, we in it together. You took their mother ucking car. So I think I'm like fifteen, I'm just starting driving. I got a permit, you know what I'm saying. So I'm like, nigga took the car. Fuck it. The homie who we had that was our older homie that was supposed to drive, left my nigga on stuck like we're supposed to always. You're supposed to come back, get him, get the car, take the car back to his mama. Boom and no, you know, I mean, nobody knows nothing. Buddy stopped answering his phone on us. Lee was hanging so before I'm like, fuck it, I'm not about to call your MoMA, like what your car here? He here, come get the car. I'm like, fucking nigga, we together, you my dog, nigga, fuck it, we about to load, like getting this motherfuck, I'm gonna drive you home. Nigga'm gonna have a kid. It's one of no uber ns on this I gotta I'm gonna call a cab ahead of time, have a cab waiting on it's crib, probably ten minutes from my hotel. I'm standing at the time, like, bro, I can't make it ten minutes. Something ain't right. But we just take it. Ten minutes. Park this morningfuck in a parking structure. You go upstairs like you've been now hanging and banging, hooping all day. We're good, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We're running for my moms.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, facts like you good, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So hey, we're gonna pretend it and hopefully will be.
Speaker 2: As mama not on. Yeah. So, but it turns out that I wasn't as good a driver as I thought. Uh. I crashed the ship out that car pretty bad. But not only because they know way like I was a bad driver. It was pouring raining, So as a beginning, as a beginner driver, you're not ready for that. Like I'm and I'm rushing, I know, like I'm nervous, I'm rushing. I'm driving fast on a hurry up because my mom is in the next hotel room next door like we and we're enjoining rooms. So I'm like, I gotta get back before my mom. I got to be on set the next morning. I know my mama's gonna be knocking on this door to make sure. With my clothes picked out for the next morning, I got everything together for work the next morning. So I'm like, Nigga, I gotta get you here and get back before my mama get w into anything. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But I love how everybody was scared of their mama and this still.
Speaker 2: Scared of my mama to this day, to what Deon Waller say to this day, still scared of my mama. Don't play with that lady. She's about four ten and all, Mama, Mama a little loer than me, and don't fuck around.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: He don't fuck around, Nick. Now, they didn't seen me get my ass whooped on the set before? What man? Listen, Kyle, Now, when we finished the interview and ask him about to strike out my ass whooped on set, my mama sent me back to the Yeah I'm good now, Yeah, Mama didn't play mama didn't fucking around me and car nowt on that. That's a story we laughed about all the time to this day, we laugh about that. Whoa, Okay, Yeah, so I fucked it up, we crashed the car, we get arrested. So when we get arrested, this is when we get arrested. We getting the damn pre sine with the damn officers. And me realized, at this point in my age, I'm starting to realize who I am. I'm starting to realize I got money. I'm a young nigga with money and da da da, So I'm arrogant. I'm a little arrogant at this point. And my buddy, he was a young lit dude too. He was his dad is somebody, very very big time, you know what I mean. So we was lit. So were getting this motherfucker. We talking cash it to the office. Man, what you're talking to you? Tomow? You caused one hundred fifet dollars damage a partly? Like, man, that's a Lamborghini. My daddy got two of them. I'm like, yeah, nigga, fuck you mean niga one hundred fift thousand. I'm gonna make that this season. Nigga what you're talking about? Like what talking shit? You know what I mean? So that pissed the officers off to where the officer was gonna release us to our mamas. That night. We talked so cold to them niggas that they're like, nope, you're going to jail. We're taking you to Julie. It's in Atlanta. We went, We went the Metro Juvenile Detention Center. I never forget it. And when we went there, we got there and we were supposed to go to court the morning we got there. One of the ladies that was like the head of the juvenile attention center, older black lady, no nonsense. I wish I could remember her name because she she she she gave me a lot of game, a lot of game. In that moment. I didn't. I didn't really take heed to it. Like I got a little older and really realized she was trying to tell me. But she gave me a lot of game. And she said, wait, who are you? You who? And my buddy named after his daddy, So when she said his name, you know who his daddy is. So you who? You who? Ah, y'all not going to get you think I get y'all think I got special ain't no specials in this motherfucker. Y'all not going to court the morning because you you, you and you his son and no, you're going to court Wednesday. I think it's like a Saturday.
Speaker 1: So you were in jail for that many days?
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed. So now you gotta realize how much money I'm costing, mister Perry, because now I'm not there to shoot. I'm fucking up big time because now they got to rearrange the whole shoot schedule around me. And I'm not even the star of the show. I'm just I'm the son of the stars of the show. So I'm not even like Nigga. We we we fucking up millions of dollars because of you like this, before I realized how much a day of shooting really caused, different cameras and crews and cast members and everybody getting paid, transportation, people catering, Like it's a million dollar day that I just fucked off. You know what I'm saying, Like if I could see me, if I bro my bad dog. Because now I'm an adult, I understand what I did. You know what I mean, where I went wrong at You know what I mean? But as a young, arrogant nigga that just think I know it all, and you know what I mean, I ain't no shit, So yeah, man, it taught me a lot though, I said, we go to jail, we go to court, Wednesday, we get released from court. But by this time they missed three days of work, so that means three days of filming had to be rearranged based off of my stupid ass decision. I mean, I wouldn't really say it was a stupid decision. It was a decision where like it was a young decision, and like I can't say I wouldn't make the same decision today. I'm a loyal nigga. I'm with my dog like it is like it ain't no nigga that did the same for me, She actually didn't. At this point we was past ass whoopings. So now she I was about fifteen, so I'm getting that, like, okay, mama, this little belt, your little as women's ain't really it ain't nothing. So now she would get me no phone, no xbox, and then she took my freedom. I remember, I'm just now starting to fuck right. So I'm in my own hotel. Run I say, I'm in my I'm in a joining room my mom in another room. It's a door. I can always lock that door, keep out of it. So she cut me all the way off. No phone, no uh, no game, and I don't get my own work. Now I'm in a double bed with her. Oh I can't.
Speaker 1: Even that is enough.
Speaker 2: Fact at fifteen years old, the word you're thinking like, oh, I got to share a room with my mama. Like I don't even want my mama kissing me in public. I gotta go to bed. Nigga, my mama right there, this is we right here. I'm in the bed, my mama in the bed. That is embarrassing. Like it's like, nigga, I wake up like every day like for mama right there. Like I can't even say what I want to say. I can't do what I want to get. Yeah, I don't got my phone at it this, so I ain't like I could I could call my girl and talk on the phone with my girl any goddamn way because I don't got no damn phone. Hilarious, But yeah, man, mama didn't place you. She said, Okay, we're gonna you want to be a jail bird. I'm gona tat you like jail right here. You don't get no privileges this nigga. You gotta you gotta seale mate. I'm your sale maate nigga. And I'm big dog nigga. I got top bunk. I control the TV. All that, nigga. I get showered first nigga. All that. Yeah, Mama was on that, like Mama was sucking around.
Speaker 1: To teach me. Shout out to the moms how to be a mom. That's how you're supposed to do it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so she taught that lesson. You cook that food, let's try to let's know it.
Speaker 2: Are you taking one slice?
Speaker 1: Right? It's one o? My bad?
Speaker 2: I mean you could, but then it becomes it becomes too much bread. Okay, get you one good slice. Like I said, I'm a nigga that I'll be overdoing it. I like a lot of bacon. So I'm typing. I put that dawn.
Speaker 1: Look at this. This is hilarious. You gotta sort of are you folding the bread? Yeah, I'm touching it with my hands. Go ahead, do your thing the thing, you know, do your thing here.
Speaker 2: We go here, go ahead and get your bread.
Speaker 1: I want to pack it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta pack it right, you gotta get it right.
Speaker 1: You got a lot, yeah, right here.
Speaker 2: That's where you're at with Okay, Well, if that's what you are, I'm gonna ad a couple of more, right. You gotta put them to a cross like that. So when they hit a crunch with it, mm hmmm, you gotta squeeze it real quick, that's what I'm saying. I put into it. Yeah, yeah, you gotta get in there to get it crispy, and you got it.
Speaker 1: I love how. I love nothing more, just so you know, and when guests get really into this hole, yeah.
Speaker 2: This ship real. I still eat this today. I ain't even broke no more, and I was still our fuck a bacon sign, which you sire. Yeah, you squished the bread, you get it. Yeah, you're gonna yeah, you're that crunch when you do that, Yeah, that's what. That's what you get me, right, and then you get you get your night up.
Speaker 1: Now, simple, nobody, nobody.
Speaker 2: I love it. I don't know how. I don't know how you don't like it. I love it just salty and sweet from the bread.
Speaker 1: It's perfect and desperate measures. Yes, but you know, just since I'm gonna rate his dish. You need them. Got condiments, ma'am?
Speaker 2: But okay, so you tell me what the hell is connoiments? Was gonna put sauce on the baking?
Speaker 4: Male?
Speaker 2: Em, I'm baking. That's your Caucasian side coming out as a male. If you just say a miracle whip. If you said miracle whip, I'm wishing. I love miracle with miracle whip. What did it? That's crazy? And now I think about it. I used to put miracle whip on this joint. I used to put miracle whip on here. That's the one thing I sure did. But is it something about dry I.
Speaker 1: Would put miracle whip on it.
Speaker 2: It's just something about the sweet taste of the white bread mixed with the salty of the turkey baking. And it ain't greasy like pork bacon where red start falling apart. You know what I mean? As I like about it, you know what I mean? Yeah? This why you got some good water man.
Speaker 1: On the affordable meter, this dish. You won't start death. You hate your protein, your carbs.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, and the bread gonna do it every time like I'm telling you every time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go on this higher. So after the tiler pair situation, is there any like, is there any conversation about it? Are you fired or fired as?
Speaker 2: Fired as fired as? But I respect mister Perry to this day because look as you still eat. Nobody that more fucker busting. Look at it. It's doing what it's supposed to do. Stop planing. I know you when you is how I gotta be. But yeah, it was right.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't hate because the salt doesn't help.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you I respect mister Perry though, because before he fired me, he pulled me in his office, had a conversation. He said, listen, man. He looked at me and said, what is it you want out of this ship? What is it like? Which want the money? The cars? Private? Jason, I got it all. I'm doing it all. I've seen it all, I've had it all I've been and that what you want? You say, bro, that sh is in your arms reach. But you're fucking up. You're fucking it up for yourself, nobody else. You're fucking it up for yourself. Now me, the arrogant fifteen year old I am. I'm just thinking he's just talking to You're gonna get me a talking to. Then we back to the money. I'm not knowing. I'm about to get fired. I'm not knowing as the last conversation I've ever had with mister Perry in my life. You feel me like I'm not knowing. I'm like, you gonna you don't talk to me. It's like a like a principle at school, he gonna talk to me, but eventually it's gonna be like whatever, send me back to class, Like you know, I mean, so he said, you fucking up and you know what I mean, gave me kind of good talking to, Like, Bro, you fucking up, and I mean, this shit ain't cool. Like bro, you call you know how much money you cost me? Like you kept it? Really know much money you cost me? Like you cost me a lot of fucking money, bro, Like money you don't have to replace. I could pay you that I can't. You could do ten seasons of this show. You still wouldn't have enough money to replace what what it just cost me to work around you being in jail because you're doing some dumb shit. In my mind, I said, I feel like it wasn't no dumb shit like I was. I was doing what I feel like my dog would have did for me if it was were reversed. Like, like, my loyalty has always been one of my biggest downfalls in my wife. I feel like I've always been loyal to I won't say the wrong people, but I've always been loyal to a fault, you know what I mean. And I've picked the wrong time to display my lawyer when it's like sometimes you're like, look, brother, you know I'll fool with you. You know I got your back, But this is how to provide for my family. Like my mama don't got no job at the time. My brothers just locked up for bank robbery, Like I come from a long line of monther Us that don't really like asking for people ship, Like my brother are very aware of the fact that their little brother's on TV. Mama got different. Mama has funds and access to money to help y'all. But my mama like, if y'all won't, y'all to come to LA and I'm not sending y'all their money back there to go buy whatever you're gonna buy and try to sell it on the street, and I'm not sending you no money to I'm not gonna tell no king Pin I'm not gonna do that with this money. You know what I mean. If you're gonna comeut here, you're gonna come out here, you're gonna go to set with your brother. I put you on the on the payroll as his handler. One gonna be his handler. That wont gonna be my personal assistant, and you know what I mean. But they wasn't with that, Like, man, I'm I'm thugging for real, like in the streets with this. We're in the streets with this shit. So it's like they they the measure, they took it. They went and robbed the banks, so they gone, they doing time at the time, you know what I mean. So it's like everything depending on me. If I would have if I knew, if I knew what I know now, I said, I probably would have still found a way to help him get that car back without his mama knowing and not left him hanging the word, because at the end of the day, I'm thinking in my head, like if you get in trouble for this car being here, I'm still I'm fucked too. Like regardless fast, it's literally nigga me getting this car back. Say both of y'all, say both of our ass because my MoMA like, s, so, what the fuck y'all been doing with this car?
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 2: They nigga? So so you what you told him to come take his mama car and bring it to you. I'm guilty by association regardless. So it's like, nigga, I gotta say both of our ass you know what I mean. That's how I was thinking about it. But like now that I'm older, I probably be like, man, brother, look we about to find a cab driver. I'm gonna pay this cab driver to drive you and your mama car home. I know something with another alternative.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it's it's a slippers. So you have these moms that are very caring and loving, right, and you have your friendship to your friend. And I'm not knocking any of the moms, and it was good that they instilled the fear they did. But if you really look at the root of the problem is it's kind of like you're scared at your mama. And again not knocking because I think my mom had this conversation with me. I have a two year old, and she said, you know, do you have enough control over her if she has to cross the street and you say stop, you know, don't cross. Will she be able to stop? And I knew the answer was absolutely not, Like what never happened.
Speaker 4: My daughter was like, but but but I say that to say that I get you looking back and saying I would do it all again because of these these moral standards.
Speaker 1: And I have the same problem. By the way, I'm loyal to a fault like you could. I'll be like, well, they whatever, But but I will say this though, but if you look at it, the things that you guys were running from was like the pure fear of your moms from your mother.
Speaker 2: The trouble for my mamas ain't ain't as bad as the trouble.
Speaker 1: Trouble that you guys got it.
Speaker 2: If I look bad like me, we might to take these little ass woomen being punish me can't hang out for yeah, a week or two. But it's like nigga, we will find a way to still hang out her.
Speaker 1: But you can also, you know, if you look at psychology, I always say, like, you know, young brains, they're not fully mature, they're not weighing out all the options. And I can see where it's like I was terrified of my mom nigga, I would have done I would have gotten my mom. So I get it. But going back to the Tyler Perry situation, and it's good that you talk about it and you're going back and forth because I think it really gets us to see like your your core character, like where your values are at. Like I thought about it a hundred times. Would I have done it again? Yeah I would.
Speaker 2: I just probably would have did it a little different differently, even thought it's not what you do is how you do it, So I would have probably switched away. I went about it. Yeah, somebody like like I said, I was, I'm a young nigga. I'm fifteen years old, but I got a debit card, I'm having I got a amount of money on my car. So I been like, Bro, there got to be an adult with a dry I can pay bro, drive this car to this location. Don't go a step further.
Speaker 1: But I think there's there were so many things like even when you hear the story, it's like you have this young person who's acquired some kind of status, who has friends of status. You know, even when you guys get arrested and you're like around each other. I remember being like fifteen or sixteen, And the first time I recursed was like behind my mom's back. She walks in the room, she catches me cursing. But I'm amongst my friends like that, F and B. I don't remember the words, but all of those. My mom walked in and I said, oh my god, this is the day I die.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: But when you get around your friends at that age, you're like, I'm big and bad, you know. And that's the part of being growing up, growing up right, so logical everything you did seems like totally rational at your age. And then and then a fifteen year old with responsibilities, who's working, who's earning his own money, who's providing for his family. But take me back.
Speaker 2: His attention was like get it done and get to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get to get it done, get to work. But Tyler Pierr has this conversation. Does he fire you at the end of the conversation.
Speaker 2: No, he has a conversation with me, and I think I finished, I do my filming whatever. They shoot my scenes out for that day and I'm gone. They flew me out like the next day. So it was it was a silent firing. The firing part was silent. I just had to get the picture. Oh nigga, they don't. I'm not coming back, like they're done with me. And it was it was people that was upset about it though, because they were like, bro, he's a kid. You gotta this is your This is the opportunity to be you know what I mean to to to to kind of be. I said, my daddy was in my life for show. But it's like, this is the opportunity to give him that that lessons as a man, that that's that he looks up to that as a man, Like I do feel like he could have went about it differently. They'll cost you money, yeah, but money all that that shit. Come back the opportunity to teach a lesson to a young black man that comes from nothing, just like you come from nothing, and and and it showed me like, no, bro, come on now, you can't. I feel like I feel like he could have took that opportunity and did a little bit differently.
Speaker 1: I did see Tyler Perry's documentary. Did you ever get to see it?
Speaker 2: I haven't watched the whole thing, but I do his story just from working with him.
Speaker 1: Kind of I didn't know his story, but I do know like I remember when I first moved to La hearing about his plays or whatever. People are like talking about this guy who had this play, and it was like maybe a tape that was going around or something, or I just remember people talking about it. But when I saw the documentary and everything he went through, I think that I don't know if, especially as a teenager, like it's sometimes grace can be a slippery slope. You give someone grace.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if I would appreciate it. The reason probably would have kept sucking up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it's it's a slippery slope, and I'm learning that as an adult, Like you can give grace, but it's a slippery slope because there's a thin line between grace and disrespect. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: I just you know, like if the roles were reversed and I'm in that position, I take that young nigga under my wing.
Speaker 1: Like nah, I would have been like, I'm gonna make sure you.
Speaker 2: Don't fuck up no more, Nigga'm about to show you some ship that we're like, Nigga, you know, like I gotta get to this, but also I gotta get to that. So I know the only way to get to that is the following the foot he I gotta not fuck up in the more, follow in these footstep, like show a young nigga away, Bro, I'm a young nigga that really come from nothing. Every nigga I ever looked up to them being is a feling my daddy, every last one of my I got one brother that ain't a fella and he lives in fucking Australia and I and before he lived in Australia, he went to college and fucking South or North Dakota or something like that. And like, we got the same daddy, not the same mama. So we're close, but we weren't in the same household. Every man in the household that I came up in. That was my example. Nigga, thug it out until you can't no more. Like that's just what I knew. That's what I That's still just what I know, you know what I mean, Like that's just how I was, That's how I was brought up in a sense, like my mama did her absolute best. But it's a young man is not going to model himself after his mother. Yeah, no, it's impossible. I'm gonna model myself after the men in my life. Look up to me. Like I said, my brother, the closest brother I got to my age, is ten years older than me. So when I was born, he was ten years old. By the time I'm able to really pay attention to what he's doing, he's thirteen, fourteen, and then I got a sixteen. I got an eighteen at eighteen, bro gone doing ten years old, just done doing ten years I remembered vividly the police coming and knocking on my mama door taking him away. I remember that seeing that, probably five years old. Maybe I might have been four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Was young at shit like. I remember seeing that vividly. I remember seeing the police kicking the door in my daddy house and take my daddy to jail, foot on my daddy neck, foot on my brother. I remember seeing that. Everything that I seen and everything that everybody I looked up to was full fledged gangsters like I ain't. That's just all I've ever had to look up to was niggas that were in the streets. I've never really had nobody that was on a positive path take me under their wing and be like this the way it goes.
Speaker 1: A little bro, Now to your career now because I know you're and I don't want to speak on I really don't like to speak bump. But since we know some of the same people, you have someone like Nile or Nick. Yeah, nigas one of those people like he sees something in you. I want to say, niggas the.
Speaker 2: Nick I'm a fuck up. Huh, Nick think I'm a fuck up?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm gonna say this.
Speaker 2: I feel like Nick loves me but keeps me at a distance because he feels like I'm a liability. I think that's just me being honest.
Speaker 1: So I feel so.
Speaker 2: Nick loved the shit out of me, though, but it's like he think I feel like he thinks I'm too hard headed. I don't think he feel like I don't listen or I won't listen. But like Nigga, you never really told me nothing to listen to.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because I feel like I worked with Nick for like ten years, and I would see Nick joke with like a lot of people around me. We were very close in age. I think everyone Nick surround himself for the most part, are like twenty years older than him, like you know or now.
Speaker 2: He's always like now, Nick has always been a little bros. So Nick has never been the big brody like, nah, come here, my nigga, but he doesn't now he has now like more so like more recently. But I think for me, like I think Nick just think I'm so far gone. But it's like, Nigga, I just am who I am. If you take some time to have a conversation with Bobby J. The man, because you know Bobby J. The kid, and you can't understand how that kid you knew turn in But Nigga, you gotta understand I was a kid that was trained to be the keys.
Speaker 1: But that's what I want to I want to. I want to say this about him because I worked with him for ten years and he would joke with everybody. He you know, he I'd be lying to say, Nick, he's closer my age group. Whether or not I thought he was okay or attractive looking was whatever, But I just knew because we're around the same age. We work together, you know industry be like, oh they I cook it up, and so we were very very business or whatever. Yeah, but I remember like the one or two times where Nick was like, you're fucking up. Yeah, and his you know, never ever had no real conversation, but there was one or two conversations where he was like, you may want to reconsider some of your your moves, you know. And so I think just personality wise, he's one of those people that he don't really mentor he's not even.
Speaker 2: Like your best friend personality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he had.
Speaker 2: More so like I will now i'd be like, let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody had my back morning now, but now sometimes can stab me in the like our last conversation he says something and I didn't take his car after this, and you know he don't listen, thank god, he don't listen to all my episodes. But but now I think it's a straight shooter. And when you when the chips are down, I don't give a fuck if you work with now you never had a real conversation with him. He is that nigga that you can be like, he gonna.
Speaker 2: Take I'd have been in jail, fucked up. Now he paid pound of money. Yeah, now lawyer money.
Speaker 1: Hey did you you know Dorian two?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All them niggas is uh solid, I would say all them. And but I think the way Nick moves is I think he pays attention to And I've said this to people. I think he trusts no one and he watches everybody so like you'll be like I walked in the room, he didn't even say hi. It's like Nick knew you were there before you entered the building. Like every move is his chest and he doesn't do the controversial stuff absolutely, And like I said, the only two times he's ever pulled me to the side when it was like a for sure fuck up, and it was a very short like you may want to reroute because this could end bad. I've got I've got.
Speaker 2: That from now. I've never even got that from Nick to be like, hey bro, what the fuck? Like you tripping? Nigga figured that out, you know what I mean. But now, on the other hand, it's been like come here. But now at the same time, now has a better understanding of who I am, my what I like, my trauma, what causes me to be. He got a better understanding of that than than Nick. Does you know what I'm saying, Like, so I can. That's why I feel like now it's easier for to be able to come to me like hey man, what the fuck is you doing?
Speaker 1: You tripped me?
Speaker 2: I know that this is the circumstance. I know this happened. I know this happened. To know that happened. But nigga, everything that happened has nothing to do with the next ten years of your life, the decisions you're finna make and how you set yourself up a success or failure. Yeah, yeah, and you know what I mean. Like I said, I apprecialize that there's nothing there's nothing bad about it. It's just Nick is not the mentoring type. And that's cool, Like you know what I mean, Yeah, it's just for me. I've always looked at Nick like big brother, because I've known the niggas since I.
Speaker 1: Was like, hey, you've been around, Yeah, you've been.
Speaker 2: Around, Like I made Nika the Kids Choice Awards, and you can find the pictures on Google, Like if you call Google my name and google Bobby Nick and you'll find the picture of Nick with a big stupid baggy jersey on some fucking headband neck braids.
Speaker 1: But I will say this, and I told my little brother this when he was working. Nick was like, I think just just just because I've been kind of in the offices versus on sets, I'll just say, like observation I told legal this, like, if you're in the room, he fucks with you, and he believes in you, period you period. If you are in the room, he made that exactly a decision. Nick has always believe than you. I just think, like I said, he has that million layers of fencing around him as he should. As he should because if you know his story, it's like, yeah, nigga, I would have a million layers of fencing. But to go back to your story, did you eventually I know you mentioned now, but did you start to seek out mentors at some point or did you just stumble upon you.
Speaker 2: I ain't gotten and I'll just be learning as I go for real, like I learned from my mistakes. I bump my head and I know, like I don't want that same not right there in the middle of my forehead no more. So let me figure it out. Like I've never I said, my dad was always a person that gave game. But by the time me and my daddy got to be like where it was because I was in LA a lot of years. I wasn't in Kansas City, but my dad. When my daddy did get out of prison, I was living in Los Angeles. He was in Kansas City, and then by the time I came back home, I'm already smoking weed. I'm already kind of doing my own thing. I'm already kind of shaping and molding myself into who I believe that I want and who I'm supposed to be. So, you know what I mean, My daddy couldn't do really couldn't really do much but advise and and you know what I mean, kind of sit there. And then that's another thing my daddy. My daddy was person like nigga, gonna have to You're gonna have to bump your head because you're hard headed. That I've always been hard headed, Like I was a hard headed kid. I was a hard headed teenager. So, like I said, I've always learned from my own experience. But at the same time, I don't think I think if somebody was to be like, now, come here, nigga, learned from learn what I'm about to tell you, learn what I'm about to show you, I wouldn't. I wouldn't be opposed to that.
Speaker 1: Now do you think that that person would have to be? Because I know what mentors. I'm a die hard mentor freak. I mentor people, and I'm like everyone, I know, you get a mentor. But I think with men and what I've seen over the years when men is like, I feel like, it can't just be any guy that.
Speaker 2: Look up to somebody that you can see you're somebody that's where you want to be or further or somebody that you like. Okay, yeah, I can listen to you because you got the formula to go where I'm trying to go or be for You've been where I where I'm in the direction I'm headed, you know what I mean. Like like, but it's hard, But.
Speaker 1: It's also not just that, it's like, can you relate to where I'm from? It has to be the cocktail, right, especially I think for a black man, it has to be that cocktail of you know, you can't just be successful and you came from money. It has to be you successful and your dad and similar to my dad, and then we could talk about you mentoring me, right, Is that in my correctness?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For sure for sure? Okay, so yeah, definitely, that's definitely a big part of it, for sure, right. And I think that's why, like I would, I think that's why like for me, I personally like damn, like I wish Bro would be like, Hey Noah, come in, Bro, because you somebody I've always looked kid before we even actually work together. I stopped Nick on the red car, like, hey Nick, what's up? Like nigga, Like I didn't say these words. I'm like, man, I fuck with you. Yeah, I don't remember what, but in so many words, that's what I'm saying, Like, Bro, I'm I'm a fan. I look up to you, nigga. What you're doing in Hollywood, where you started, Nigga. That's the path I'm trying. That's what I'm trying to get to. Like I see what you're doing. And at this time, niggas probably fresh off a drum line like this. This is like young Nick, like this is this.
Speaker 1: Two thousand it's two thousand and five, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like this is this young boy like and I'm super super young bull. So it's like I said, I think, I think eventually a conversation will be had, but it's like the nigga doesn't have time for conversation. Like sometimes the nigga's so busy he don't even have times down and talk to you. He barely like what's up? He barely has time to sit down and talk to himself here his own thoughts sometimes because it's always something a phone call or a conference call of meeting. So it's like it's not nothing again, there's nothing that he's doing wrong or bad. It's just like Nigga. Sometimes it doesn't go the way it's supposed to. But I said, I'm then at thirty years old, Like I shouldn't need that, you know what I mean? Like I should be able to well, I shouldn't even need it, but it's it's good to have it. I shouldn't need it. I should be able to see where I'm going or I'm headed, and what I need to do wrong, I mean, what I need to do differently to get what I'm trying to get. At this age in my life, it shouldn't be no like at in your early like seventeen eighteen year I feel like it's needed, it's kind of needed to have that, especially because becoming a man is different, like it it's becoming a man that that's a different monster. Like when you're really finding out who you are as a man versus who you thought you were or who you who you who you wanted to be with it's kind of face like, no, this is who you are, you know what I'm saying. Like, I've always wanted to be the completely upstanding, straightforward citizen nigga, no trouble whatever. And I never wanted to be a felon or you I mean, nigga that and broke the law or somebody that you know what i mean, been in jail or whatever. I've never wanted to be that, but that was just what I had a favoriteality, Like, Nigga, that is who I am. That's not that I mean, that's that's that is who I am or who I became. But that doesn't have to be the end of the story. I can grow from that. But it's like, Nigga, what necessary steps do you got to take within yourself to grow from that? You know what I'm saying. So that's where I'm in life now, just figuring out the things I got to do differently to grow and to elevate, you know what i mean, without somebody being like, oh here, bro, come on, I'm gonna show you the way. Fuck that, nigga, show yourself the way. You've been showing yourself the way, and you done got damn far. You may be as far as you wanted to go with your lot.
Speaker 1: Fust I was gonna say, yeah, if you look at I think I've seen a video online and I'm gonna butcher it. But it was like a video where all these kids were wanting a race, and I think they had different kids starting at different starting points, and the kids that were less privileged started from way further back. So when you look at your race, you've done amazing. Matter of fact, when I got the opportunity to interview you, it's kind of beautiful because it was like, I've worked with you, but i've seen more like crossing paths. I don't think we've ever really had conversations, but it's kind it's beautiful when you get someone of your caliber into our studio and it's just like you see the growth and you don't know how that person's gonna come off. You don't know if they're gonna be like cocky, arrogant or you know. I've seen people come in here like you've never been broke. It's amazing, you know, she I'd have.
Speaker 2: Been up, back down, back up again. Damn I'm slipping and falling, but I ain't down yet. I'm back, man, I haven't seen every walk of this ship.
Speaker 1: And you've and you've managed. Now, how have you been managing your money and stuff? Has that been? When did you start to really learn how to manage it?
Speaker 2: She when the nigga started catching cases and lawyer fees and bond money, and she like that started like damn, nigga, but you just about to chain last month.
Speaker 1: But wait cases for what, dumb chef? Okay, so like keeping But.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I called, I called a gun case. And then before that, I caught a case before I got in a fistfight and broke the boy jaw. And because of the jaw being broken, it was a great bodily injury and it became a felony and blah blah blah. And like I said, because I was poorly managing my money, I couldn't afford I couldn't afford to pay lawyer until far down the line, and I went on. I went on a run for six months, like I was like, fuck the ship. They would have to come get me, and I was able to. I came back to l A, I got locked up. I called Nile. Now that's unk to me, Like that's what I called. I called him unk, Like now I'm fucked up. I'm here, the lawyer say three thousand in front. If you can help me with that upfront, I can figure out a way get me out of here, and I can. I could scrape up whatever the fuck else. I gotta scrape up and make it make sense. And as soon as I'm back on my feet, I'm gonna pay you back. You know what I mean, Like whatever you wanna be like nigga, and Nigga sent it before I can hang up the jail phone, like yeah it was it.
Speaker 1: Was d Let me tell you something that is.
Speaker 2: That's why like a nigga, I ain't gonna lie like a nigga can't really Nigga can't really say nothing bad about dude to me, Bro, it ain't a time where Nigga, I'm gonna go to war for dude because he didn't have to. He ain't have to, bro, Like the nigga got kids, he got responsibilities, got a wife, he got a household, and he's the song provider for like Nigga, Like you didn't have to go and I don't get it was three thousand. I don't give it was five thousand. It was three hundred my nigga, whatever it was, nigga, you win your pocket and you send it. I don't know what your financial standing was at the time. I don't know what you had going on, what responsibilities you had, you know what I'm saying. Who knows, But you didn't make it. Wasn't you. It didn't matter. You said what I got you and nigga before I get off that jail phone, I'm like, I'm like, you think you think you think nigga help us out, like ship, you can call that nigga, but I'm gonna send you what I'm gonna send you right now. You can try to call that nigga and I'm like, I don't be like, I ain't gonna call you, you know, Like, yeah, I'm gonna be wrong. Though there's been a time where I did where I did and Nick came through for that.
Speaker 1: I've asked Nick for money, but let me just tell you something. There's always accountants that I got to talk to, and I.
Speaker 2: Never go to the accountant Nick. Nick. Nick treated me like a little bro and was like, I'm gonna Apple pay you when I never discredit like I said, like nigga, he out of Yeah. So waited that mentor, but what he called him and said, hey.
Speaker 1: Nick, I need you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the nigga. The nigga was there for me. And he not only did he give me, somebody said, hey, look IM about to come and put you in this movie. Get you a couple of extra dollars in your pocket. Yeah, like quick fast, like nigga. And like I said, like, I'm appreciative of that, like nigga. Fuck fuck the mentorshipga.
Speaker 1: When I needed you, it was there for me. And now you're doing willing out and you guys are working together consistently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, So.
Speaker 1: Where do you see yourself going from here? Like what is the plan?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: And and is there really can there ever really be a plan in this entertainment business, because I feel like I'm say, yeah.
Speaker 2: This should be so iffy dog like unless you're a nigga with like unless you're a nigga with like a like a Kevin Hard or like a Nick where you got a production and you can you can go and put some money behind what you want to do it. It's really hard to have a plan for this side of the ship, Like you know what I mean, Like I said, then, my real love is music, like if the person has me what my playing myself at selling arenas doing what I really and genuinely truly love to do.
Speaker 1: That when you say music like rap music or okay, so like.
Speaker 2: That's that's always been me and like because for me, like when I rap, it gives people an inside and looked like y'all have seen, y'all know that y'all fell in love with these roles I've played. Y'all have seen me. Y'all claim y'all seen me grow up, but not really, y'all seen the roles I played growing up, But y'all don't. Y'all didn't get see me. Y'a didn't go home with me when the cameras went off, y'all didn't see y'all didn't know what my reality was. Y'all just knew what y'all seen on TV. So it's like that music always gives people kind of the inside look because I'm not rapping as nobody else but Bobby. So the shit I'm talking about, the shit I'm speaking on. Should I really live through? Sh'all really did to survive? Should I really had to go through? Should I already learn from spots where I already bumped my head, like that's giving the people the chance to really get to know me. And I feel like that's important for people to really know who Bobby is because so many people haven't misconstrued based off of what y'all watched me do on TV for the longest time, Like they just think, oh, this nigga was a silver spoon kid.
Speaker 1: He had it all good, he was, especially when you start that young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean, Nigga think it's all good. You know. For one, Listen, you don't get in Hollywood right now, just get rich immediately twenty years ago when I started, you really, they wasn't giving out money. How they giving out now, Nigga's becoming a millionaire in a year, Like year year top. You do some cool shit on you get a buzz on the internet, you're a millionaire immediately there in there. If not a millionaire, you damn close. They gonna keep you pumping and working, and like the internet is so powerful now. The Internet was just becoming a thing when I came up, So it wasn't like and you couldn't go and you couldn't go and grab your own audience. The only time you had an audience is when then people put you in front of one.
Speaker 1: And even with the Internet, I noticed it's like how fast you take to it? Like the new, the new uh whatever, drop, It's like you gotta switch over. It's a very tricky thing because now it's like it's industry versus Internet. Don't you kind of feel like that. It's like motherfucker may get cast it because he has two million followers or you know, like it's kind of weirder.
Speaker 2: Certain and certain situations. But there's certain people that be like that. I feel a genuinely talented that are on the Internet, and I feel like they deserve.
Speaker 1: Of course a lot. You know, a lot of those people work very hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sticks absolutely so, Like you know what I mean, you built that audience. You you worked hard at what you You mastered that internet ship and then open the door for the industry. How can I be mad or feel like you you did less work than me? Your work, The work was just different work. I want to say you did less work, You just did different work than me.
Speaker 1: Now, if times ever get rough, God forbid, are you ever gonna be open to taking a regular job?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You think so?
Speaker 2: I don't got like I don't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: I'll take a risk to you.
Speaker 2: I got kids, I gotta I gotta sing, and they got a daughter on the way in two months. Like nigga, it ain't even about me. It's bigger than me and my pride. They gotta eat, you know what I'm saying. So it's like fuck that if if it get if it gets to that, man, hey sign me up. I'm not gonna give me a regular a good regular job. You ain't gonna try to go I'm gonna go work at McDonald's. Of course, I'm don't go work and go Damn. I'm not gonna be the clerk of Walmart.
Speaker 1: Yah, you're gonna work.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna be bagging nobody's groceries at ralfs. But I'm gonna go get me a motherfucker job where I feel like, yeah, I can go and I can make ends meet and make sure I'm good and then shop when ship back popping again and be back popping again.
Speaker 1: And now do you, uh, do you feel a lot of pressure being famous or more well known facially like and then to keep up the status of the financials like I used to.
Speaker 2: I used to, but the older I've gotten And the more I've seen niggas, I've seen more niggas looking like they got it and not having it than I've seen niggas looking like they got it and actually having it. Like Nick don't put on no jury, let's tim camera's roll and Nick don't come in with no watching seven chains on until it's time for us to say actually wild wild Like Nicka the motherfucker's house shoes, Nike sweat suit and he got more money than everybody we work with. Yeah, Like it's a lot of niggas who I see like that, like Nigga, like niggas like uh, Gilly the kid Willow like them. Niggas ain't coming out them niggas they got their getting in bag. Nigga's not coming out just hella hella, hella, flashy and trying to look like they're not wearing their wealth. A lot of people aren't wearing. When I started learning and paying attention and certain things like that, it took a lot. Like bro, I don't got to it ain't for what I'm impressing a bunch of motherfuckers. It ain't got ten percent of.
Speaker 1: What I got, Yeah for what, Like it.
Speaker 2: Don't make sense like just to show you, like, look, I can buy I can buy this shit, and yeah it's big chain, it's cuman linking.
Speaker 1: Well. I feel like now even more so now though I feel like it's not even it's a trick. We're in a different age because back then it was about the flashiness. Right now it's like you you ain't gotta have flash, but if you have fifteen thousand followers, that's your new flash. It's so weird. It's a wird.
Speaker 2: The cloud.
Speaker 1: The cloud is tricking people because there's so many people. I even know that they got two cents to rub together, but they they cloud in it. And I'm like, yo, your bank account, whether you can put a roof over your head, that's really your reality, you know. And I think it's hard to live in a reality when social media allows us to paint these images of happiness and progress. And you've seen like people on social media they don't even have half the shit, and they taking pictures next to the shit, and the gas can.
Speaker 2: Live next to everybody else. And she's like, yeah, I seen it, Like I said, I learned so much. Like I said, That's why I'm thankful for my down years, because it taught me so much. It built character, It built It made me the man I am today to where I can stand before people be like, Bro, that shit don't make me like it. Don't that shit don't mean a thing to me. I could be broken. I'm the same nigga. I could be up one hundred million. I'm gonna be the same nig I'm still gonna stop and roll and talk to I'm gonna treat the bomb on the side of the highway just like I'm gonna treat the Boston Viacon. How you doing, good? God, bless you much respect, much love. I'm not gonna treat nobody no differently. Everybody is equal to me. We are humans. We are trying to figure this out, this thing called life. We're all trying to figure it out every day. That's the every day. That's the every day struggle to everyone's share trying to figure this life. Shut out even the richest motherfucker still trying to navigate through this life shit. Because like you have all the money in the world, Yo, your loved one die. Is that all the money you can't buy their life back? You die. You can't go and like bank take all my money and bring me back, It don't mean Shit's piece of paper that they print up and they and they add value to it, and that value that they put on that piece of paper controls us. And that's crazy to me. It's like fuck that that that shouldn't control you or your way of thinking because that that dollar is just like they saying that nigga, the US dollar about to be worth shit. Then what when they say that motherfucker ain't worth nothing? What what is the nigga with a hundred bion dollars do? Then when they say that on hundred million ain't worth a bitch ass thing no more. All you got is what you stand for. All you got is the principles, the the way you made people feel, you know what I mean, the way you treated people. That's athing's gonna last. Like when you're dead and gone, nobody don't give a fuck about Oh, that nigga died with a hundred million. They'm like, bro, that nigga treat That nigga was a good person, That nigga treated everybody with respect, That Nigga looked out for his people. He showed genuine love to people. He wasn't no arrogant asshole type. Of person that people gonna remember. Nobody remembers how much money motherfuckers like Prince and Mike had, That's not remember. What's remembered is the art that they left us, the mark they made on people's lives, and the impact they made on the culture. Like that's what remembered that the rest of this It's.
Speaker 1: Funny because I don't even listen to Princess music. Really, I was obviously later, But I will say though, the impact that he made on even the music industry speaking up against you know, like owning yourself, was like, that's the legacy he left was like that brotherhood and he taught that.
Speaker 2: He was one of the first people teaching and preaching ownership, yeah.
Speaker 1: In your art, And that was like, and look, we didn't even listen to his music, but guess what we walked away with his principles. Right, So that's definitely true. What advice would you give to someone that is coming up in the game, hitting hitting their heads and then I have one more and then we out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you coming up in this motherfucker, you you know what I mean? You you bumping your head, you slipping and falling, You can't get man, listen keep at it, keep at it. Everything is learning experience, trust God's timing and not your own time. You know what I'm saying, Uh, just just just stick to it man. Like nothing like. You got people that are overnight sensations, but guess what, they lose it overnight. Then you got people who work twenty years and they get that boom, they get that hit, and they lit for the rest of their life. Everybody's story different, everybody's journey different. Don't think because one person made it this way that that's your way. You know what I'm saying. Just stick to what works for you and stick to doing what something do. Do what you love. Don't do what you think is gonna make you rich, Don't do what you think it's gonna make you famous. And have you lit. Do something you love. You put some effort into something you love, like and really push forward to do something you love. The money and shit like that gonna come. That shit gonna come. That shit ineedible. They print that shit every day, even on Sundays on the bank close, they printing that shit. You can always go get you some money, man, Do something you love, don't be doing some shit you don't love, and just doing it just for the money or just some shit that's just driven by you wanting to be rich or you wanting to be well known, because it's not gonna you're gonna get You're gonna get the well none even get it. And then it's gonna be like, now what do I do with it? Now that I'm here, You're gonna be like, where's the what's the you mean like I have no knowledge of what to do with and how to keep this ship and how to maintain this shit because I was only doing it to get this shit. Yeah, So if you if you up and coming in, keep at this ship and do it because you love it, don't do it because you feel like you it's gonna it's gonna be the only way to survive. Like, no, don't, don't base it off a survival man, base it off of love.
Speaker 1: Bro speaking of survival lot, I really want to get into this part because I don't think it's talked about enough on one of the recent episodes that someone touched on this. But I really want to highlight this part because because of the fugazis in the world, which is money in the industry, Like one minute, you're up one minutes, you're down as a person that is riding the wave of the unknown, but believing in themselves. You're in this, You're you're already on the roller coaster. How are you managing your finances? Are you setting budgets and then just saying don't go over it? Are you doing reserves like I want.
Speaker 2: To get it. That's kind of where I'm at right now, setting budgets, trying to make sure, Okay, this is what this is what I need to spend on me, this is what the response abilities this is. You know what I mean, I put this to the side because for my son, my daughter, you know what I mean. I'm trying to just figure out, not really figured out, but that's what I mean with just budgeting and the pecking order of what's the most important, you know what I mean. Like, don't get me wrong, you always do, you always do for you always take care of yourself. But what's more important than what things and causes are bigger than you, Bigger than keep keeping my keeping my kids, make sure my kids is good. That's the biggest things. So like you get those things and you put that over here and in tier that's like tier one, that's Tier one, that's top tier, that's what's on top. And then you got tier two, uh you know what I mean, groceries and making sure your house is filled with things that you need and necessities. And then you get the tier three like okay, yeah, tennis shoes and ship like that when it makes sense, don't just go out buying. Don't go out on the five thousand dollars shoe shoppings because you know you can afford to do it, because at any given moment that five thousand and you just spend on Michael Jordan's shoes. Michael Jordan's gonna get you a dam of it back if you fucked up. Yeah, you can't call like, look, Mike, I just bought every shoe this year, and now I can't pay my rent or I can't get my son done for Christmas? Can you can you spot me five thousand and then you know I'm about some more shoes next year? Mike, Yeah, you can't do that, bro. So so that's Royn May with like just budgeting and making sure like even though the account says this, that don't mean spend that. I don't give a fuck. The account may say one hundred thousand account may say eight account, mat say twenty thousand, count may say according me whatever it say, That don't mean you got to spend that. Figure out, figure out a way to keep most of that for a rainy day. Because I don't seen a lot of rainy days, and a lot of my rainy days because of poor money management. I had to call on others and be like, hey, help me out, you know what I mean, and come on wrong like somebody to be thirty years old. Ain't that shit ain't fly? Like shit ain't fly my nigga be calling on them? Amen, Uh, can you can you send me a thousand dollars until I till I can figure out something for the next week? You help me pay my rent? Like nah, brother, that ain't fly.
Speaker 1: No cool, it's not. But hey, you see the girl, You see the learning lessons, you see the stability. Now now you're ready for every next hurricane if it comes. I've learned that like change is challenging, but it's you can embrace it. Hard stuff is challenging. You can embrace it and try your best to handle everything in love and grace. That's like my thing. Just loving.
Speaker 2: Don't give you more than you can handle.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 2: It just don't. God don't put more on you, and you can handle the universe whatever you believe in God. I believe in God. God don't put more on me than I can handle. So me knowing that I face everything head on if I if I fuck up, all right, what am I gonna learn from this fuck up? Because I can't unfuck up? Yeah, and I'm going to fuck up a million more times in life because life is a constant learning experience. Like that's just how this shit goes. So it's like, don't get down there and sell. If you fuck up, you make a wrong turn, figure out how to get back to the road you was on and get back on the path you was headed in. It ain't that hard. It takes it just you gotta want to for real, you gotta want to get back on the right path. You gotta want to do the right things. That's all it is like. And once you, once you really and truly and genially want that in your life and want that for yourself, then gonna start happening for you to make it easier on you to stay on the correct path. And That's where I'm at now because I make I make certain decisions differently. I do things a lot differently. So now life, life is a little easier for me to stay on this path. It's not as it's not. It's not as easy. It's easier for me to stay on the path than it is for me to veer off into some bullshit when it used to be reversed because I was so like, man, I was so eager. I mean, it's so easy to be like, man, fuck this shit. I'm just gonna go and give me twenty pounds a week and flip it. You know what I mean. I'm gonna go get me this and do that, you know what I mean. That's where I was in Like, bro, nah, when you tell it like I fuck that. I'm gonna figure out some other ways and to stay on this path right here. Then it becomes easier when you really truly want to stay on that path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree, for sure. I agree. So where can everybody keep up with Bobby Jay Thompson.
Speaker 2: I'm on Instagram? I really don't. I'm not a big Twitter dude. I'm catch me on Instagram. That's really my only soul. I said, I can't get jiggy with the social media shit to where I got seven different pages took. It's on Facebook, man, I am underscore King Bobby J's Bobby spelled b O b b E. I am underscore King Bobby J. That's where you can keep keep up with me everything as far as me new episodes of wild'n Out, new music dropping. I'm gonna drop an EP in February, so just just just keep up with me, man, see me be a dad. I'm on there, man, I'm just that's where. That's where you catch me. On Instagram. I showed what I want to show, but you might catch some cool ship from down to time. I catch my son, you know. All right?
Speaker 1: All right, guys, thanks for listening to another episode of Eating Wild Broke, Yes, peace Out.
Speaker 3: Peace Out.
Speaker 1: For more Eating While Broke from iHeartRadio and The Black Effect, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,