Speaker 1: I'm a homegrow that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that, right, la Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 1: It's Laura Rosa and this is another episode of The Latest with Laura Rosa. This is your daily take on all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and all of the conversations that shape the room.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: Now, y'all know, we kick off the episode every single episode checking in behind the scenes of the Grind. So let's get too it. Checking in behind the scenes of the Grind today. Yeah, I think behind the scenes of the Grind today, I am honestly, uh reevaluating a lot of things in their.
Speaker 2: Importance to me.
Speaker 1: And I know that behind the scenes of the Grind is literally you guys coming with me behind the scenes sometimes, but a lot of times it's me telling y'all.
Speaker 2: Like just where my mental is in real life.
Speaker 1: Like I think, on the surface of everything, whether you are tuning in here daily to the Latest with Laurna Rosa, the podcast, or watching the Breakfast Club shoot. If we even follow each other on social media, Lauren La Rosa, everywhere you're seeing, but so much on the surface level. So I like to use this time to give you, guys, like sometimes just to look into like my mental and how I'm feeling about things, because I think when people ask, and that's the reason why I added this segment in the beginning of the podcast, how are you really feeling?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: I want to check in, which is what I ask myself every single time before I crack this microphone for the podcast. We're not always honest. I know for me, I'm not always honest, and it's not because I don't want to be. It's just because I'm like, yo, who has time to hear that? And do I even have time to face what I'm even discussing? And most of the time it's like, no, I'm trying to get to the next thing you got, you know, news.
Speaker 2: Breaking things happening.
Speaker 1: But here on the podcast, we take the time to ask, how are you really feeling?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Think about it? Take a second with me, y'all. So I told you the guys that I was reevaluating, you know, just what things are most important to me or just like prioritizing you know, things in their importance to myself. And the reason why I'm doing that. I don't mean people in my life. I literally mean things in my life, and like moving variables is because I have literally gotten to a point now where my time means so much and you know, people will be like me and Beyonce got the same twenty four hours in a day, and it's like, realistically, you do, but what you do with that time is very very important. For a while now, probably for like the last year, I've been feeling really I've talked about here on the podcast and other behind the scenes of the Grind opening of the episodes, where you know, I go through guilt about certain things, whether it's not being able to spend time, whether it's no longer want into a lot of time to certain things. I think I finally gotten to the point where I understand why I was going through that. And the reason why I say that is I have an instants happened today where I was reporting on something within the Breakfast Club, and I don't ever like to talk about things that I haven't watched or experience to myself. But I've had to learn to kind of like delegate, allow some of the producers that work with me to be able to watch things and you know, talk me and produce me through things, even if I haven't seen them myselfs I'm really not fully comfortable with that yet. I'll be honest with you guys, But for the sake of time, literally, I've had to learn how to do that because there's just not enough hours between when I leave the breakfast club, when I record the Latest with on the Roads of the podcast, when I try to eat, try to be a daughter, try to be a grand daughter, try to be a girlfriend, try to get some sleep, try to just take a breather so that I don't burn myself out to do everything. And I gotten to a point where I was doing that again. I talked to you guys through that burnout point here on the Latest with Lorna Rosa as well in the behind the scenes of the Grind check in, you know, some months ago. But you know, when I think about now, when people or like yo, my time is money, my time means everything, I literally don't have the time to I think what has changed the time for me is, you know, when I'm here and I'm on the show and I'm thinking about how valuable your word is and you know your commentary is, I'm literally trying every moment that you hear me on whatever microphone I am on to make impacts. So in doing that, there's a lot of preparation. There's a lot of and sometimes preparation isn't even research.
Speaker 2: I'm be honest with y'all. You know that's the majority of it.
Speaker 1: But a lot of the preparation for myself, it's just talking myself into like, yo, you got it, Like you're here, you have arrived. And I don't battle that as much unless I feel like I haven't applied myself time wise to what my prep routine is in order to do what I need to do and show up every single day. And the reason why I'll tell you telling you guys all of this is because there was going back to what I was saying, there was a segment that I did on The Breakfast Club. Within that segment, or not even just within the segment, there was a show that we produced and did with on The Breakfast Club where I wasn't really too you know for sure about a lot of the topics I was talking about, not because I didn't know about them and that the producers we didn't like do our normal call the night before and we delegate and people watch this and watch that, but because I just didn't think that they were very strong.
Speaker 2: Knock it out the part topics.
Speaker 1: I didn't have any exclusive stuff, so I was like, Yo, this is not strong.
Speaker 2: This is not what I'm used to doing.
Speaker 1: But I literally took the time to like separate myself from a lot of things the night before, you know, And I felt horrible doing it, but I took the time to separate myself from sitting on the phone for no reason and just catching up, and I told myself, like, Yo, this is something this week I want to practice not doing a lot of And I was so happy I did that because not only was I able to prep the topics and get the information surrounding as much as I could to know whether I was doing something right or wrong when I came to report it, but I also was able to I think I feel like it was like I was able to more clearly lock in to think about POV. And that's something that I've learned a lot about and being in this personality space. And I was thinking about that today, like, if your time is money, right, and your time is so valuable and you don't have time to waste on certain things, the people watching you don't either, when they're coming to you, they expect you to understand that they want things to be concise, they want things to be clear. But a lot of times it's not that you got to have the exclusive Lauren. You don't got to tell people first all the time. It's not that you have to have the best interview, booking or SoundBite or whatever. A lot of times it's just the way you're talking about it, and that alone can be something that is exclusive to the room you're in, the platform, you're on, whatever you're doing. And when I was talking myself through that, I was like, girl, oh you this is why you need to be okay with telling yourself no, Like, no, I gotta take the time. I ain't got the time because I just woke up this morning feeling so much clarity and power in that thought, the thought of y'all got to understand like for the last like for the last literally like I would say, eight to eight years of my life prior to prior to twenty twenty three, being in a newsroom like TMZ where you are literally like you whipped into shape. It was one of the best things I've ever done. It. I tell people all the time. It was a boot camp. I wanted to go to school for my masters. That was the best master's program I could have did in the area of media production, conversation, reporting, news, all of the things right, and people keep having these conversations about journalism versus influencer or whatever. In that newsroom. It's not about the title. It's really about the know how and which you know how to do. You're literally only as good as your last story, to be honest with you, I have been whipped into shape in that way. So a lot of times when I come in here, if I don't feel like something is strong and I'm about to get on this podcast, if I don't feel like i'm you know, I go a week without an exclusive and whatever, I don't feel like I'm I'm doing it like it doesn't feel like I'm here all the time. If I'm being honest with y'all, but realizing that it's okay to say, yo, I don't got time to do all of the surrounding things so that I can just focus on just the feeling of girl, you are here, you got this.
Speaker 2: It took such weight off my shoulders. I don't know why I.
Speaker 1: Was feeling so guilty about making room in space for myself, Like it be messing me up, y'all. Like I don't know what is going on in this era of my life. And as I'm turning thirty thirty four to thirty five, as I'm turning thirty five five years old, but I've literally begin like talking to myself in a way that I never ever had to. Like I've always been a very confident girl. Okay, I've always showed up. I've always taken up space. But in this era of my life where everything is I mean not everything, but there's a lot of things that are public, there's a lot of things that can be critiqued and commented on. You know, I think for a bit, I kind of like ran into the shell of like if I just play and safe, I'm cool, And that's not how I want to live my life. Like you can be great or you can be living in fear, and I don't want to live in fear. I want to be great. Okay, God does not give me the spirit of fear. And literally me realizing that in order to be great, I can't be afraid to say I got to create this really protected space for myself. I don't have the time to like I can't answer every phone call, I can't get back to every text, I can't show up to every birthday. Then I can't make every birthday trip like I just can't. In the season of my life that I'm in, it is so sensitive and it is so important for me to understand and that that is okay.
Speaker 2: It's literally like a make or break for me.
Speaker 1: And God, I don't know what it was that put that on my spirit today of like, you just feel so much better since you did that, because you were able to take that. Even though I still feel like I'll be running out of time every night preparing for the next day, I woke up today feeling better, feeling a lot more confident. And that has been happening over these last couple of weeks as I've been making no changes. So if anybody out there is listening to this and you've been feeling a little bit like you know, off a bit, you might got to look around and realize you ain't got the time to be doing ABC D and E like you gotta focus on A and it's got to be okay, and people in your life who don't understand that. I think there might be a season of out growing and I'm okay with that too. Let's get on it into the latest, y'all. Speaking of seasons in life, Hayden pan Tier, actress, you know, from bringing on Scream and so much more, she had been talking a lot about just different seasons of her life that she had been through. There is a Jay Shehatty interview that she did when she released her book about her life and some of her past struggles with addiction and depression and you know, young child fame and domestic violence and a relationship that she was in. But she recently passed away at the age of thirty six. There was a call that was made to an apartment that she was at in South Carolina for a woman in cardiac arrest, and then it was you know, reports were updated, you know via TMZ that this call actually came in as a woman cardiac arrest.
Speaker 2: And then there was a mention of an overdose.
Speaker 1: And now I mean everybody across the boarders reporting is including a TMZ that there was narcan or narkhan found at the scene of uh, you know, where she passed away, because she did pass away on the scene. So again, no toxicology report officially out I've seen reports that the toxicology and stuff are done, but no official cause of death yet, but you know, people are beginning to speculate whether this was an overdose. Now we the new information that we found out that was just some background is that her on again, off again boyfriend was actually there with her, him and another family member when she was you know, and they made the phone call to get responders there. She was unconscious and they were there. As you know, paramedics tried to revive her back to life and were unsuccessful. And we are told that her on again, off again boyfriend, Brian Hankerson, actually is his name. We are told that he got very emotional when they pronounced her dead, which I mean, you can imagine they now, you know, Henkerson and Hayden been dating for some time, on again, off again, but you know, according to recent reports, he sat down for interviews and talked a bit about you know, you know, just the fact that they were still in a relationship at the current time, and that they kept it a secret because of her career, because of how bad their relationship had gotten in the midst of all of the other turmoil. So you know, fans are trying to put things together. I saw people pointing fingers toward him. I know that police have said that there was no you know, imminent or immediate signs of foul play whatsoever. We don't know what happened, but I have seen people pouring out love for her. More recently, Solange did now her and Solange did bring It on Again together, and you know, like they were young, there were teenagers. But this is a movie that, like a lot of us remember, a lot of us point to when it comes to Hayden's career. Solange says, rest in peace, Hayden, because you are so deserving of it. We had so many parallels in our lives, and the world watched you so courageously live in your radical truth, telling your story. We watched your endless quest for vulnerability and healing. I salute your journey, and I honor the work we created together that became something that really means something to people, reaching people we couldn't have it. Imagine at the time as two young girls trying to keep looking to the light the lights around you. Now, Rest easy, Hayden. I also saw miss Viola Davis poor out love for her as well too. Emma Roberts, Jeremy Renner. So many people are poor and got love. As the updates you know continue, you know, and they will. I think people want to know what happened. I know that, you know. Like I mentioned, she had talked about her struggles with addictions. There was also reports via a police report that her boyfriend, Hankerson, who we talked about a bit, when police arrived, he gave police a bag of medicine that she had been taking. Across various reports, I saw, you know, several outlets reporting that she had been complaining of back pain for the last year. So not for sure if she was taking medicine for that. And you know, there will be some updates here, but those are the most recent updates. Wanted to bring you guys that and we'll watch this closely. The story is developing.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Before we get on out of here, I do want to grab a bit of an interview that she did. I mentioned Jay Shetty in an interview that she did, and I saw him Jay Shetty, speak out about you know, hating in her light as well too, and just her courageous spirit for telling her story. She was very honest about a lot of the things she went through. She talked about addiction. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 3: I've been struggling for a long time and I just needed a break. Four years ended up being the amount of time, and I definitely absolutely did not expect it would that long. I felt like I was walking blind and there was nobody there that was really able to support me in the way that I needed to be supported. And I don't like to ask for help either, you know, I want to be that strong, stoke woman. But I mean, when you see a happy go Luki girl for years suddenly on the floor in a puddle of mess and alcohol, you got to know something's wrong. Panetier revealing that she was first introduced to the substances that would lead her down a dark path in her teen years. When I was about sixteen, one of the people that I was working with in my inner circle introduced me for the first time to what she called happy pills. And I had no idea what they were, but I know that when I was given one and I was sent down a red carpet, I was like lively and like totally down to answer the questions in a chatterbox, what did.
Speaker 2: You come to learn? Those happy pills were.
Speaker 3: I think they were a form of adderall. I was completely annowledgeable about drugs and that kind of thing. I did grow up around people that I felt like I didn't realize till later, but I felt like used alcohol as medicine.
Speaker 1: She talked about postpartum depression in the decision to give up her daughter following experiencing that, Let's take a listen.
Speaker 4: What do you want people to know about postponed depression that you think they miss?
Speaker 3: That it's real, that it's not something we make up, it's not something we want. It's not you know that we've we've we've lost our our marbles and and it's not something that we want to go through. And and we're not lying when we tell you something strong, and and we're we're in tears for absolutely no reason, Like we don't have control over this, and this would be the last thing that we would ever want to experience or go through it. We want to be with our children, our child, our brand new child, and have be filled with joy and feel like the luckiest person in the world, and and you know, capture every every moment, and for anyone to think otherwise is just misinformed and Uh yeah, I just I think people need to know a lot more about it, need to understand.
Speaker 1: And she also talked about the loss of her brother and how that impacted her currently while she was living.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's a there was nothing in my life that feels like losing my other half, like the other half that I was, that was born to be my my the yang to my yang, and we were so close, and especially being the older sibling who that's your job to protect them and keep them safe and not being able to is I mean, your heartbreaking doesn't doesn't even begin to cover it. I would need to a dictionary to go through all the words for all the feelings that you know, I go through your mind. But I've got I mean, I collapsed and it's stayed with me. I know time is like the best is the best tailor generally, but it's been three years and every year it's gotten, it's changed. The heartbreak has changed. But losing him and realizing how much of life I was going to have to go through alone and without him where I when I always saw him as being there. You know, the day that my parents are not here anymore, I'm going to have to do alone and the fact that he's not here to be a part of my daughter's life, and the fact that he's I mean, there's so many times I want to call him all the time, and he was my best, best friend, and and like when he first died, I just remember screaming, I don't want to live in a world where he doesn't exist, so I unfortunately had to. But he seems so alive in my head still. He was such a big, big personality, and he just like I ain no matter how, no matter what, Like I was just one of those people. I never thought anything could take him down or take him away. He was so good too, And it makes you so angry to see so that they're bad people thriving in this world, and then one so good that's just taken from you. Why it's not fair, It doesn't make sense. So that's something I just I don't think i'll ever I'll never get over, It'll just evolve. Luckily, he was an amazing artist, and I have his his paint some of his paintings, and that keeps part of him alive for me. He left that behind, beautiful things behind, but and I feel him with me. I know that's he's protecting me from where he is and was needed elsewhere. But I wish they would send him back to me.
Speaker 1: Praying for her soul, praying for her family. I mean, she started acting at eleven months old in commercials and then grew up in the spotlight. There's always so much that people are dealing with. Man, when I tell you, guys, like I started this episode talking about like saying literally setting boundaries for your life and being like, I don't have the time. Not only should we do that, because like you need to provide space for your mental to be clear, but literally, y'all, she was thirty six years old. Nobody knows what their timeline on this earth is going to look like it is, and like it is so beyond us to think that we have all the time in the world, because we do not. You gotta do the best you can with what you got in my Mariah Carey voice, but like, seriously, you have to take the time to really it's not even about like accomplishing things. And I used to think, oh my god, I used to think everything was about accomplishing things. And I used to think everything was about achieving this level of success and platform and influence because my whole goal was just like I always wanted to be able to accumulate audience because I'm like, I'll always be able to make money and take care of people I love, and I also be able to help people.
Speaker 2: But it's not even really all about that.
Speaker 1: I saw young thug he spoke to kids in Atlanta, and people were, you know, dragging him about what he was saying to the young kids. I take a listen to that really quickly.
Speaker 4: So is really the most important.
Speaker 2: If you be fas, you're.
Speaker 4: Almost as important as the richest person in the world. So Fain is like more so like the money for us. So fan is really the most important. It's very important. You got to you gotta keep up with it. You got to always make sure it leads, it leads to the right leads you.
Speaker 3: To the right room.
Speaker 4: You not know how to move, got to move totally different, gott to move, militaries, so many, so many things people don't.
Speaker 2: Know about, Bain.
Speaker 3: That's like very important.
Speaker 4: Defin move you dot know how to be because you end up in like situations. You know I've ended up now.
Speaker 1: This was at a charter school in Georgia, ages K through four. According to what I saw online, but people were upset at the message. You know, talk about like fame, and you know, people are interpreting this as him encouraging the kids to want to be famous. But I think it's more so from what I heard from it and knowing how kids are about celebrities, you know, they don't understand their k through fourth grade, right. I think what it is that I interpreted from it anyway was literally what we're saying right now. It's like, figure out what you got the time for, set out to do that, do that very well, build, build, build, and then protect it. But also in protecting it, what can you do for other people? People are literally pouring out love for hand and Panitea right now because of her honesty, not because she was perfect, you know, nobody's perfect. Not because she was, you know, without life experience, but she used her life experience come to be her testimony.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure that it's helped somebody.
Speaker 1: That interview circulated so much even before her passing and now is recirculating again.
Speaker 2: God rest her soul.
Speaker 1: This has been another episode of the Latest with Lon La Rosa. I am Lauren the Rosa and I tell y'all every single episode man, y'all could be anywhere with any old body, but you choose to be right here with me every single episode, my Lowriders. I appreciate you, guys, and I'll catch you in the next one.