Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. Oh no, it's Oscar's weekend. But you haven't watched all the movies where you're in the right place. Let's get you caught up now, movie number one, Let's start with Sinners.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: This film has sixteen nominations. It is a juggernaut going into Oscar Sunday. Yes, it is nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Casting, Best Makeup and Hairstyling, Best Achievement in Cinematography, Best Original Score, Wow, I'm gonna keep going, Best Original Song, Best Sound, Best Achievement in Visual Effects, Best Screenplay, Best Achievement in Production Design, Best Achievement in Costume Design, and Best Achievement in Film Editing.
Speaker 1: And that is a record. History is on the line on Sunday. Centers has more nominations than any movie in history. And yes, folks, black folks are behind this movie with Ryan Coogler, the cast and everything. Rome is not just a matter of the number of nominations. It is a big deal that this is a history making film in a lot of ways. And so I think this film, which did do well at the box office and the people liked this is gonna I think this is gonna help the ratings on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, this is I think it's fair to say the hands on favorite fan favorite for winning the box office gross will tell you what you need to know. This film made two one hundred and eighty million dollars. And what's so significant beyond yes, it being a black led film, This is an original screenplay. You don't get that very often, especially when it comes to horror movies. When something works, they just keep doing it and they keep repeating it, and they adapt it from a book or they adapted from something else that they can say was successful.
Speaker 2: This is an original.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't get that all. That's why every time you hear about a new movie coming out. We just saw the Heat Too is coming out. We just went the Anaconda coming out. They're bringing all they keep doing it, and what's the latest Star Wars thing that's.
Speaker 2: I don't even know the count on that album. When there's prequels and sequels and all sorts of stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: Even the Conjuring they said the last one was the last one and now they're development for a prequel.
Speaker 2: We knew it wasn't.
Speaker 1: There's not new stuff. That alone almost robes make this one a front runner to a certain degree. The cast here, you know them well. Michael B. Jordan nominated, of course for Best Actor, Womney Masaka she's nominated as well. Delroy Lindo is nominated. Then you have Hailey Steinfeld in there. And Miles Kenton, he is the young man who plays a central role in the film. But a hell of a cast. And of course the director, Ryan Coogler behind Black Panther, behind Fruitvale Station. We have watched his career and him get bigger and bigger and bigger, and you can't get more bigger or any bigger than he is at this point. And like you said, this is one that people actually did like and go to the theater to see.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this is we have said it before, but we'll put it on a record in this episode. This is the only movie OSCAR nominated Best Picture movie that we actually were excited about before we even.
Speaker 2: Were thinking about Oscars, and that we actually went.
Speaker 3: To the movie theater to go see and look, this was one to see in the theaters.
Speaker 2: It's we actually want to rewatch it at home. It's that good.
Speaker 3: There are very few movies that we actually want to rewatch. This is among them. But what, there are so many cool things about this movie because you don't have to be a horror fan to like this movie, because yes, it is technically a horror movie, but this is about human relationships. This is about just the music, the cinematography, the epic arc of this.
Speaker 2: Story, race history, it has.
Speaker 3: There's so many elements to it that I feel like, no matter what genre you like most, it's got some of that in there, including like musical theater esque.
Speaker 2: Stylization, Like I actually felt.
Speaker 3: At some point I was watching a music video on top of a horror movie, on top of a history lesson on top of just watching phenomenal actors do their things with a great script.
Speaker 1: And this one did make a lot of money the box office two hundred and eighty million worldwide. That is a big, big deal. That's a big deal for a horror movie. It's certainly a big deal for an original movie. And it's a big deal for an original horror movie. We just don't get those. If you haven't seen it, you've certainly heard plenty about it. It's been everywhere. But the synopsis they explain it like this, trying to leave their troubled lives behind, twin brothers return to their hometown to start again, only to discover that an even greater evil is waiting to welcome them back. This is a horror movie. It is graphic at times, it is rated ARE, and it has a run time that Robes is not exactly a short movie. It fly. I feel like it's dragging, but I guess this is just standard stuff maybe for movies now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, most horror movies, we'll be honest, are under an hour and forty minutes. I mean that is kind of the sweet spot for horror movies. Usually an hour thirty.
Speaker 2: Sometimes even less.
Speaker 3: This one for two hours and seventeen minutes did give us a little pause going to the theaters.
Speaker 2: But it is so well done.
Speaker 3: I honestly don't even remember looking at my watch ef or wondering when it was going to be over, which I have done on many of these movies.
Speaker 2: This was not among them.
Speaker 3: I didn't even realize it was as long as it is. And look, the critics scores came in along with the audience scores.
Speaker 2: Just making this movie. You understand why it's nominated and why it did so well. At the box office.
Speaker 3: The critics gave it ninety seven percent on Rotten Tomatoes, and the audience was just behind it ninety six percent, and we would be right there with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't see this scores certainly that high in both the audience and the It's rare, but these were right on, like almost exactly, the audience and the viewers. The audience and the critics had the exact same view of this movie.
Speaker 2: There was a consensus.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: And by the way, this is about vampires. I don't think we've made that clear. This is a vampire movie. I think I would think you'd kind of have to be living under a rock if you didn't know this. But while it's very gory for sure, and there is a lot of violence in this there are some jump scares, but I don't know, like for traditional horror fans how scary.
Speaker 2: I wasn't scared necessarily, but I was riveted. I was invested.
Speaker 3: I was here for it, but it wasn't like I was frightened necessarily.
Speaker 1: There were graphic scenes. Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I to your point about folks that would have to be under a rock. I don't know if I felt that so much of the messaging and promotion with this movie build it as a vampire flick. Yeah, I don't know what they builded it, and maybe that was a part of the success. I didn't think I was going into a traditional family this is just a vampire movie.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I felt like I was going into a Michael B. Jordan and a Ryan Cooglan movie, like, Ah, what you guys got for me? I'm here for it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Michael B. Jordan it was.
Speaker 3: I mean, I thought it was so cool to see him playing twin brothers like he did, such an incredible job playing two characters. I can't even imagine what that's like as an actor, to have two different roles in the same movie. What that is like, and just even how they shoot it and how it feels so real, like.
Speaker 2: You're seeing two Michael B. Jordan's play off of each other. That is not easy stuff.
Speaker 1: And that might be the reason. I don't know that would tip the balance. I guess the guy who was being nominated for an Oscar you all play one role, he played two. I mean I would almost give him a nod to that to a certain degree. But he is as his stunning self as always, But this is all a story. The music stands out. It is nominated for some of the music, and we have been listening, you know, I have that music on in the house. Some of that is just great stuff. So we'd there's so much in the young characters in it. And there was just a grit or a griminess almost to this movie. That is it. It's almost weird to have it as an Oscar nominated Best Picture because quite frankly, horror movies just don't get this kind of love.
Speaker 3: Silence of the Lambs, that's probably the last one I remember getting that much love and sweeping the Oscars with actor wins and Best Picture wins.
Speaker 2: But a lot of folks are.
Speaker 3: Saying this could be the one film in that same genre that does the same thing this year, like this is the first chance a horror movie has had in quite some time to sweep the Oscars.
Speaker 1: All right, So should you watch The Sucker or should you not? You probably have already come to the conclusion about what we think about it, But stay here we answer the question watch it or skip it? And why? All right? Continuing with Sinners here on this Oscars weekend, Watch it skip it. Obviously it sounds anybody who's listened to the first ten minutes, they'd say, yeah, well, obviously these two are gonna recommend that you watch this movie. But there's a little more to it than that ropes. Not everybody's into this type of movie, not everybody's into the gore, But I would recommend watching. This is a story. This is somebody sat down and wrote out and just made up this story. It didn't come from somewhere else, it didn't come from other material. I think that of itself is impressive and worth watching. I think Michael B. Jordan is always worth watching when he is on screen, and this is a dynamic performance by him. Obviously he's being rewarded because of the Oscar nomination. He also what was the one he picked up. It was kind of the upset that it was a big nut the Actors Awards. Yeah, actually beat out all these same guys at the Actors Awards for Best Actor.
Speaker 3: They were shocked he beat out Timothy Shalome, But there were so many other incredible actors in that category. It's not shocking to me at all that he won. But for some reason, people thought Timothy Shalome had it in the bag. People have talked about Leonardo DiCaprio. Of course, there was the Spanish actor in a Secret Agent who won at Going Yes, So look, this is anyone's guests as to who actually takes home that Best Actor award, but certainly Michael B.
Speaker 2: Jordan is on it.
Speaker 3: And in terms of should you watch it or skip it, I'm going to add another element to that. I not only say you should watch it, I say you should rewatch it.
Speaker 2: This is a film that is so.
Speaker 3: Just incredible in its storytelling and in its acting, and in the music, the visuals, the like what you hear, what you see, what you feel, It's all just so compelling. And I feel like the only reason why people might not want to watch this is because they don't like scary movies, because they don't like Gore. I would just say, if you think it's gonna get gory when you close your eyes, but keep listening, keep watching, because there's so much more to this story than just look, we love just a scary film. That is what it is. It's just tequila and tacos. You know exactly where you're gonna get. You're gonna be scared, you're gonna do. This is so much more depth to this. There's so much more about this. This is a love story, this is history, this.
Speaker 1: Is this family between the music, this is family.
Speaker 2: There's so many other through lines in the story. That this is not just a horror movie lover's movie.
Speaker 3: This is for so many more people, And I just think it would be a shame if you missed it.
Speaker 1: You know it is also there is a backdrop of racial striketh absolutely in this movie that doesn't necessarily come to the forefront, but the fact that it's there, It's not the central theme or the central conflict, but the fact that it's just there plays a part in this movie. Is this is this is Hella done? That is now elevating things for horror movies, and Rose we might have greater expectations of the horror movies we see. Between this and Weapons last year, we were like, whoa we have bringing it.
Speaker 3: We have seen this genre elevated by just brilliant minds, folks who obviously love horror the way we do, but taking it to a whole other level. And we are slow clapping all the way because it is so fun to see other people recognize how amazing these types of movies can be. You give it a little, you give it a lot of talent, a lot of forethought. This isn't just some formulaic thing that you know, we know the formula of horror movies. This takes it to a whole other level and I hope it just raises the game for everybody.
Speaker 2: But this is my pick for Best Picture.
Speaker 3: I am going to be rooting for Sinners the whole way through, but I hope I am cheering on Sinners for Best.
Speaker 1: Picture, and I am nervous. I'm rooting for it. Absolutely. This is the favorite movie we saw on the list for us. But I am nervous. So many nominations, there's an expectation that you gotta deliver, you gotta win a certain number. And I think back to the Color Purple. They had eleven nominations, which was huge at the time, and they walked away with not a single win that night. So there have been some of those over time. I'm just not only hold my breath on that one, but this could absolutely be a night that the Oscars has never ever seen before. So, folks, that is how we feel about Sinners, movie number one on our list, that we're getting caught up on movie number two on our list. Next episode will be one battle after another, and we got a lot to say about the movie that is considered right Robes the strongest competition with Sinners for Best Oscar. Is that fair to say? Yes, I think that Best Oscar Best Picture.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, that's got the next biggest buzz associated with it for Best Picture. And we'll have to see what the Academy decides, but our vote.
Speaker 2: Is for Sinners.
Speaker 1: All right, look for that one. It's going to be next in the feed. Folks. We will talk to you soon.