Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is mick Shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: It's Christmas morning here on Mickshot. We open the presence later today, but we do know that the Cowboys will be playing in the Everson Walls Bowl just kick off the twenty twenty four season. Both question marks, question marks form over the heads of everyone the Everson Walls Bowl. Well, yes, of course Everson Walls was a Dallas Cowboy, but he was also a Cleveland Brown. The first iteration of the Cleveland Brown remind me. And welcome to mix Shots inside the SWBC podcast studio. Everybody's got a smile on their face, especially hockey Savannah over there. Savannah's Stars have a chance tonight to move to the Western Conference Final for the second straight year.
Speaker 4: Stars in five can we get it done? There you go, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: As they have to go on down.
Speaker 3: Oh two man, Well that was the other Now again.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't think they'd be here at all. Oh yeah, I didn't think they'd be here at all. I'm like, oh man, yeah, they're gonna be like the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 7: They have the chance to close it out and we'll see if they get it done and then have a little time off before they play Vancouver or Edmonton.
Speaker 4: We're gonna find out.
Speaker 3: And that game starts at seven o'clock tonight and what else happens at seven o'clock to night?
Speaker 8: Schedule movie gets revealed.
Speaker 3: So make you are you going to have your focus on the stars or on where you're going to be in the fall?
Speaker 2: Both?
Speaker 3: Okay, you can multitask.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 8: Great, game will be on and finish my mix shots for Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Can't ignore the schedule.
Speaker 3: Right, No, that's exactly right.
Speaker 5: You don't have a heads up on the schedule. Yeah, you can't early release now.
Speaker 8: Yeah maybe six forty five.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's not but we can't.
Speaker 8: Do anything with it until seven.
Speaker 3: So, so how is everybody doing. It's been a busy last week or so, as we had rookie mini camp over the weekend and an opportunity yesterday for Mickey Savannah.
Speaker 9: Were you there?
Speaker 4: I was to talk to some coaches to probe.
Speaker 3: The new coaching staff, the old guys on the staff, the new guys on the staff.
Speaker 8: And Savannah was there for the mini camp too. Yep, rookie mini camp over.
Speaker 4: Yeah we can.
Speaker 7: We'll get into it, but I first want to ask ask, how is ever since because you've been I an.
Speaker 5: I missed you, guys, We missed you, guys. I was gone last week.
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 3: You're playing golf?
Speaker 2: Playing golf? Yeah?
Speaker 10: What was I?
Speaker 2: I remember, well, I've had too golf turners.
Speaker 3: That's why we moved off of Monday this week so that we can.
Speaker 2: Exactly thank you so much. But can you give me a range?
Speaker 11: Then?
Speaker 5: How about that since I was just so accommodating. Now I had a good time. I have actually learned to play golf better.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I played better than I used to play like Mickey. Now play a little bit better than that.
Speaker 8: All right, So and we play at Cliff's golf tournament.
Speaker 2: You're going to kill you.
Speaker 8: You can give me tips. You can give me tips.
Speaker 2: Can't you never play?
Speaker 8: You always riding?
Speaker 2: I know now I played that. I'm telling you, I'm getting better, getting better.
Speaker 5: I'm going to the driving range this evening, and uh no, I've actually gotten better. I couldn't believe I actually hit some shots that you know in the scramble that they use. So now I'm starting to to like hanging around with you guys. Otherwise I just sit around top trash man, you know, messing with people's game.
Speaker 2: My goal telling jokes, My goal.
Speaker 8: On those scrambles is to try to have them use five of my shots.
Speaker 2: That's not gonna happen. Not five.
Speaker 8: I've gotten to five before.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's well, put it don't count.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I need you. I need that approach shot from one fifteen hours.
Speaker 8: Now you're asking for what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I need that six for one fifty five.
Speaker 8: Where I come in handy is on the drive. Everybody screws up their drive and I just hundred yards right down in the middle.
Speaker 3: He rolls it right down the middle.
Speaker 5: I hate those guys. You're only there because everyone else messed up. That used to be. That is not me anymore, I feel.
Speaker 8: So it's like, go ahead, you guys, go for it.
Speaker 5: You know, we talk about you behind your back right when you do stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Why is that because you suck? I mean, that's what I was.
Speaker 3: That guy I played, How did you improve your game?
Speaker 8: Just nuances until he has tooke lessons first.
Speaker 5: No, no, I actually I played the guy uh at Thorn Tree and he taught me some shots, but I had already come with some some improvement. And uh, trust me, boys, I know about the six.
Speaker 2: R from so far out. Come on.
Speaker 5: I'm on it, all right, I'm on this baby, Damn right, damn man, I'm on it. I played this weekend, So I played this weekend at Bear Creek. So I'll take some videos for you.
Speaker 8: Well, and we've been finding out along how athletic Savannah is, and we can add one more skill.
Speaker 2: Horse there you go? All right, did you get it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 12: We had?
Speaker 7: Okay, So just to paint the picture here, we had our Cowboys brand retreat this last Monday.
Speaker 4: So a whole bunch of us, me and Mickey had signed up for the horse back riding.
Speaker 7: They took us out to a big mega ranch past Glen Rose, Texas called Rough Creek, really really cool. So we went on a big trail ride. And I know we sent you guys some pictures of Mickey and I on the.
Speaker 4: Horse, but it was it was quite an adventure.
Speaker 3: Scare the horse, and savannahs sent that picture. I thought Mickey was training to uh for the Preakness this week.
Speaker 8: In I might have been, but the horse wasn't. I guarantee that.
Speaker 2: I thought Savannah lost the bed of something.
Speaker 8: At least at least Savannah.
Speaker 4: Savannah line was a little like to gallop a little bit.
Speaker 8: So Savannah's horse listened to Savannah. My horse didn't listen.
Speaker 3: What was your name? What was the name of your horse, Jeepz.
Speaker 4: Mine was Rea, my girl. She was the best.
Speaker 2: She was the best.
Speaker 4: Mickey. Mickey had a slow start on his horse. He you know, he was back at the trail.
Speaker 2: I don't like the horses, man. They don't listen.
Speaker 8: No, they don't.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 8: They're worse than.
Speaker 2: Their heads are so big. Bro. They scare me, man, they scare me.
Speaker 5: They you try to pet it and then they, you know, might move their head around and hitching the face.
Speaker 2: I'm not dealing with horses, bro, thin could have that.
Speaker 8: Mine wouldn't go, and it was like, come on, let's go, and it wouldn't go. And then somebody goes, wait, it's going into the bathroom.
Speaker 2: It was going was going.
Speaker 4: But the best part was just there was a point where.
Speaker 8: It was like a faucet.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 4: The saddle it was like lopsided.
Speaker 7: So Vicky was like hanging on at one point for like, dear life, lean into the left, you did just so.
Speaker 8: But we made we made peace though he finally got us.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 8: The funny thing goes when we were coming back and we were within eyesight of the stables, them horses started going really like, this is almost over. We're getting there because we're going to rest. Yeah, yeah, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: That's all right. Had a time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of Riba Riba McIntyre football players on the no there are I can't see the football players on the football field because it looks like you know what, it reminds me.
Speaker 2: Ofde that's right.
Speaker 3: There's there's so many r v's out on the practice field right now. It reminded me of Barnhill South. Remember Barnhill South, which was Reunion Arena in Dallas, the old Southwest Conference basketball tournament when the University of Arkansas was in the Southwest Conference and they there would be so many r v's. Arkansas was always dominant basketball in the Southwest Conference and that was their deal. They would come down to Dallas for the for the Southwest Conference Basketball tournament, and there would be r v's throughout the parking lot at Reunion Arena in Dallas. That's what it looks like out here on the practice field right.
Speaker 8: Now, tomorrow right ay, CMS Awards, Reba McIntyre. They're already got the plaza going outside, food trucks, bands playing all day. We'll starting now, but the ceremonies tomorrow night.
Speaker 7: So they're doing like live music out on the plaza. They did it all day yesterday, all day today, tonight, and then yeah, tomorrow's the actual awards show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay, the Academy of Country Music Awards, hosted by Reba mcintile. Wow, the fifty ninth ACM Awards. Uh tell me, Everson, how many of these artists do you have on your playlist? Jason Alden, Jelly Roll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have it, but I know who you.
Speaker 3: Cody Johnson, Miranda Lambert, Yes, Thomas Rhett, Chris Stapleton know all those?
Speaker 2: Okay, No, none of them sounds like a rapper.
Speaker 8: Before we get into this schedule, give a shout out to Bill Jones with The Mavericks, with everybody talking about how they melted down in the last game when they lost to Oklahoma City. Well, two things. Number One, when you're only winning by six or seven the most points in most of the fourth quarter, you didn't melt down. You got your ass beat. Number Two, the reason they melted down is their professional football player basketball players that can't make free throws. And Bill finally pointed it out.
Speaker 3: They were like, twelve twelve three. How does an NBA basketball team make that doesn't have shock on it make twelve out of twenty three free throwers?
Speaker 2: I bet I.
Speaker 8: Could go out there right now and hit twelve out of time.
Speaker 3: I guarantee. Well, I don't know you can, but I can't.
Speaker 2: I think I can.
Speaker 8: I can't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't that great free throw sho.
Speaker 3: You know what, I was a great free throw shoot Whenever there's a technical foul, I.
Speaker 4: Believe it.
Speaker 8: I was so bad and wrec league when I was missing so much, I'd go and do it underhand. See if it changed.
Speaker 3: You know what. You know what's pressure. This is my sophomore year in high school. This is pressure. Okay, you're playing in the JV game, and so now the varsity crowd is in the gym. Now I'm getting ready for the varsity game. And you get fouled at the end of the game and you're trailing by two and you have to make two free throws with no time left on the clock to force overtime.
Speaker 2: Is there anyone on the courts.
Speaker 3: And nobody's on the It's just you.
Speaker 2: It's just you. I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was my greatest claim to fame. And hit hit them both?
Speaker 2: Did win over time? Did you win it?
Speaker 3: I don't even remember if we were in the game or not. That's all I remember.
Speaker 8: You should have gone on and shot for Luca with ten seconds left.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know what what's going on with Luca?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 3: First off about the free throws? How do you shoot a free throw?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I mean, what's your form? What what do you do on a free throw? Okay, the ball is getting exactly Derek Lively, he gets the ball and shoots.
Speaker 2: That was it. You can't shoot a.
Speaker 3: Free throw with out You gotta.
Speaker 8: Get your rhythm, you know, and maybe get that seems right.
Speaker 2: Throw.
Speaker 3: I was taught at a young age by an old Dallas Chaparral named Cincy Powell.
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, man, you don't know anything about Cincy Powell, do you know?
Speaker 6: Since of course I know him, since Cincy Powell Clinic AB at the Lee Park Recreation Center in Irving, And and what I remember from that as an eight or nine year old was you dribble three times and then shoot the free throw and elbow in shoot the free throw.
Speaker 3: I taught it to my girls, and I need to go out there and teach it to the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 5: Sin Hey, So my country guy is Kenny Wayne Shepherd. That's the only song that I have. That's the only country I was.
Speaker 2: Trying to find.
Speaker 3: What's the song?
Speaker 2: Uh? Trust?
Speaker 5: Okay, it's called trust Trust. Not a bad song at all. Love, I love you. I love guitar solos. That's one thing that white people brought to my to my attention when we integrated, because I was just you know, r and bright soul. Then all of a sudden, here comes freaking Jimmy, you know, it comes, you know, led Zeppelin, and I'm falling in love with the with the lead guitar. I love the solos. Kenny Wayne Shepherd can play a solo.
Speaker 3: Okay, One one more basketball note? Okay, Hamilton Park I texted to you the other day and I said, who's the second greatest athlete out of Hamilton Park?
Speaker 2: I said, lot Fider Lockhart.
Speaker 3: Played for the New York I said, I was first, and you're yeah, That's why I asked him the second. You know there's a player in this then this Mavericks thunder series, it's from Highland Park, Hamilton because yeah, Casey Wallace, come on, who bought the Kyrie Irving shot the other night too?
Speaker 2: A player?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and for a rookie to be have such a strong role on this team, it gives us a whole lot of pride.
Speaker 8: And bottom line, on the free throws Oklahoma City, yeah they made twenty three or twenty four.
Speaker 2: Come home.
Speaker 5: Man, that's coaching though, right to me, that's coaching. You got to know what to work on. The Mavericks are missing free throws because they are not hit there missing free throws because it's not emphasized.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: But Jason said in this post game press conference that the Mavericks they're human, and they practice free throws, and they practice putting on their uniform too. They practice putting on their uniform and they practice.
Speaker 8: Well do that.
Speaker 2: They got the un.
Speaker 8: Which By the way, why aren't you in.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma City because the Stars are going to win the series tonight. No, I'm got to because the schedules coming back.
Speaker 4: I forgot schedule. Yeah, the schedule show.
Speaker 8: So speaking of the schedule, yes, we know who they are playing. I will find out the order.
Speaker 3: Do you want to review who they're playing?
Speaker 8: You ought me to real quick home games? NFC East, Detroit, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Houston, Baltimore, and Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: What's the easy way to remember that they're playing against?
Speaker 8: Oh, I see the first place, well, the first place finishers in the division. That they don't play the whole deal and then they play the.
Speaker 3: That's why they're playing Detroit.
Speaker 8: NFC South and the a f C North.
Speaker 3: So they've got Tampa Bay and New Orleans coming here from the from the n f C South and from the a f C North. They've got who coming here?
Speaker 8: A f C, a f C.
Speaker 3: North. Yes, they have coming here for the a f C North.
Speaker 8: No, it's not the a f C North, is it?
Speaker 2: Let me see Baltimore.
Speaker 8: It's it's schedule. It's Houston, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Is that the North?
Speaker 13: Wow, they're playing Houston here here's the reason they're playing Houston here, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore and Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: But which are the home games from the a f C North was my question.
Speaker 8: Baltimore and Cincinnati. There you go, Okay, sorry, all right, now he is the first place A right south.
Speaker 2: Or whatever.
Speaker 8: Now the road game road games from the San Francisco and.
Speaker 3: The reason they're playing San Francisco they were a first place team from the West.
Speaker 8: At Atlanta and Carolina, they're from the NFC South, and then Pittsburgh and Cleveland. It's very simplified how the NFL does it. So it's AFC North and NFC South for the Cowboys. Well, here's what you need to really understand, because the Cowboys, the Cowboys supposedly, well not supposedly technically, are tied for the twelfth most difficult schedule. Their opponents finished six and one forty three last year. But the key thing on that I noticed was number one. Eleven of the seventeen games are against teams with winning records. They also play nine games against teams that qualified for the playoff and three teams of the four that played in the conference title games. So the reason their strength of schedule is not greater than what it is is because number one, they're playing the team that had the worst record in the NFL last year Carolina finished two and fifteen, and the team that finished with the tie for the second worst record. They play them twice, Washington four and thirteen. So I figured out if you take those things out, those three games out the fourteen games against those opponents, they're winning percentage is five seventy one. It would be the toughest schedule in the league. But thanks to playing Carolina had dragged it down. And thanks to the Cowboys, these other teams have high strength of schedule, Like Cleveland starts off well, they get a twelve and five team they get to play. Cleveland supposedly has the toughest strength with schedule five forty seven to one thirty one.
Speaker 2: So the Cowboys helped Cleveland has the toughest schedule.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, So the Cowboys play the top one, two, three, four, five of the top six teams with the hardest strength of schedule, and that's because their twelve and five record helps that out.
Speaker 3: Got that, got it, got it, and go my mind is mush now after all that.
Speaker 8: Well, you just need to remember it's not easy. It's not easy.
Speaker 3: And the Cowboys had like the easiest schedule last year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, supposedly, and they didn't take advantage of it other than to finish twelve and five.
Speaker 2: That's taking advantage of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know. But you've got to take advantage of the.
Speaker 5: Playoff to be able to when you got to take advantage they did for the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which means nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's their strength is scheduled in the playoffs?
Speaker 8: Well it was nine.
Speaker 3: Eight, all right, we got plenty to get to. I want when to get your impressions on what you saw in the freshman orientation over the weekend and talking with the assistant coaches when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: If they snapped the press, guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped left, he'll look full a perstown.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: We know that Jesse cheesy grill to perfection burger. It sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cooled kola a journey to footopia. Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 14: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes, learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 15: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP FraudWatch Network alerts and texts At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, Tomiced Shots.
Speaker 3: The fifty ninth ACM Awards are returning to Ford Center at the Star Infrasco, the world headquarters of your Dallas Cowboys, and will stream live on Prime video globally and exclusively hosted by sixteen time ACM Award winning entertainment icon Riba McIntyre. The ACM Awards will be free to stream live exclusively for a global audience across two hundred and forty plus country's and territories on Prime Video from Ford Center.
Speaker 8: That was impressive, very nice bill.
Speaker 3: That was just made up off off the Academy of Country Music website.
Speaker 2: You should do that for let's say he seemed too eager.
Speaker 3: I didn't say what time it starts, though, it starts at seven o'clock Central time.
Speaker 8: But there's a red carpet before that.
Speaker 4: Oh there is, Yes, there is.
Speaker 3: In country Music's Party of the Year is getting even bigger with post Malonese to make his debut on the legendary ACM Awards stage.
Speaker 2: He has, he does country music.
Speaker 4: He's he's dabbling.
Speaker 3: Grapevine, isn't it grape vine?
Speaker 8: Okay, he's going to drive over probably?
Speaker 4: All right? Back to football guys, how about that? All right?
Speaker 7: Rookie Minnie camp last week, Mickey was not here. I was here, so last Friday Saturday got to cover some of the portions of these rookies coming in and I just got to say, these guys were the most enthusiastic I have ever seen that, just smiling out on the football field, so happy to be there. Tyler Geiton just bride eyed, butchy tailed, ready to go. I guess he was like just really going at it.
Speaker 12: Like.
Speaker 3: Wow, why they were smiling because the veteran's worn't out there?
Speaker 4: Oh that's this week exactly, That's right, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: But very very impressed with a few guys who we talked to, Uh starting with Cooper Beebee and when Mickey had started talking about how much he really loved him, I think after talking to him, I realized why he really is just a no nonsense like down to it. So a lot of people were asking him, how are you making this transition to the center position, and fundamentally he was saying, I'm already starting to work on it.
Speaker 4: So I have some audio from.
Speaker 7: Him as far as where he starts in this process learning center.
Speaker 11: So right after Draft called me and said, you start working on center. So ever since then, I've been working.
Speaker 8: I need a little volume there. But yeah, I'm sure he's a guy that will take this very very seriously.
Speaker 7: He One of the questions that was asked was how he prepares fundamentally for this position. So he said a lot of it's self discipline, looking through the playbook, watching film, getting with coach Solari to visualize the kind of thing. It's really doing all that stuff on your own time to get you mentally prepared. But one thing that I really liked is when he was with the rookies at the hotel last week for camp. He was in the ballroom practicing snaps, and then before that he was with his dad and his brother practicing snaps before he.
Speaker 8: Got down there. Yeah, he's right to roll carry a football with him at all times.
Speaker 2: Right, try, that's good.
Speaker 8: How are we doing there, Chris, give me a second? Okay, So anyway, anybody else make an impression on you other than BB and understand folks that they really don't play football. There's twenty seven guys or whatever out there, first year guys that didn't really play, and then the rookies and rookie undrafted rookies, which, by the way, they signed twelve undrafted rookies. How many undefted rookies did you have in eighty one, twenty five? Twenty five that made it to training camp?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: How about pre chraine one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and twenty five rookies? Overall, there's twenty five dbs.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean DBB.
Speaker 8: One hundred and twenty five When you went for the two weeks before the veterans got there.
Speaker 5: I was twenty five. I told you I didn't. It was certain times I didn't get to a drill. He didn't even real Yeah, like, oh that looks good, Okay, I remember that because we didn't get a chance to play it.
Speaker 3: Did you look around and say, why is this guy here?
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, I should did, and that's what got me pissed off a lot.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: So yeah, when I was I was always pissed off before I got there because you know, I went undrafted, so you know, I was all I was just looking for reasons to be pissed off at that time.
Speaker 2: HBCU. You know it's a black thing. You know.
Speaker 5: You know a guy Kevin Miller from Michigan State. You had a guy from Ohio State who ran track. Hey, well come on in, Like, why do.
Speaker 3: You have to this right after the draft? Or was is a training camp? This is after the draft, right after the draft. So it was right in your camp camp, right the street from Hamilton.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 8: And then I was I was searching to see how many draft choices and undrafted free agents made it to the start of training camp. I couldn't find the number. But the story that kept coming up was this guy really standing out that no one knew anything about. It was Everson Walls, and they wanted it was It wasn't a local story. And one of the things they asked him was, well, what kind of forty time do you have that everything goes four point seventy one.
Speaker 2: That's what they all told me. So that's what I took with me. I should have put it on my damn chest.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, I should have worn number forty seven.
Speaker 8: No, okay, So, yes, yesterday we got we got back in time for yeah, right, we got back in time yesterday for the assistant coaches interviews, both coordinators, and then the defensive assistance and the offensive assistance and uh top of importance, I guess ended up being and BB moving to center. Mike Clary talking about that, Geyiton moving from right tackle to left tackle, and the other thing that I got from Mike was, you know, just because they're moving BB to center, doesn't mean he just walks in and starts. And Solari was talking about how brock Hoffman will compete there TJ. Bass, not only competing learning guard but also trying to learn center, because they're going to need somebody to be a backup. Assuming BB does well there and Geyiton does well at left tackle, they'll need a backup center guard and that's going to come down probably between Bass and brock Hoffman.
Speaker 7: And then yeah, so Lari also was talking about how comfortable he has seen Geiton already like process that position. So I think he said it's kind of a smooth transition right now. But overall, the O line room is so great having the vets now in with the rookies because you have Zach Martin out there as the lead and then you have guys like you know, brock Hoffman and Terrence Steele and Tyler Smith that's in there. Finally in the room with these guys to give them a little bit more mental reps is.
Speaker 4: What he said.
Speaker 7: Not necessarily physical, but you start getting those mental reps of what it takes.
Speaker 8: And then another top of discussion was running back by committee. And my question is how big is the committee, right? And who's on the committee? Because you got all these guys right, and let's not forget Hunter Lipke. Does he part of the committee because he's a full back? And then are we assuming that Rico Dondele, you know, who's the lead dog. You know, you can't send them both out there at the same time. They're really happy what they've seen with Zeke so far. So you got Donnal Malik David questioning, well, yeah, how did he show up? How did he look?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 8: All I know is he could hit home runs. In the home run without taking batting practice, right, So I and it was like, Okay, you come out and say running back by committee, Well what does that mean? Because if Zeke's playing well, you're gonna say, now you get ten carries a game and Donald gets fifteen. And what about Deuce Vaughn, what about Royce Freeman? You know, does he fit in? Does he make the team. So there's a lot of things. Basically what the coaches were saying is it'll sort itself out once we get the training camp, once we start playing preseason games on how they deal with the running back position. And I think the other topic that was top discussion was Mozzi Smith. You know, what can they get out of him? Zim said that Mazzi told him he's at three oh five, so I think last year he probably finished like two ninety maybe something like that when they draft him. He was three twenty eight when he got here, damn and lost weight as they went along, and they were thinking, well, maybe because they were kind of an attack defense, that he's trying to lose weight so he could be more versatile getting up feel like I sie right, But the bottom line with Zim is the nose tackle is a nose tackle and your ability. Your job is to stop the run or hold things up, so you don't, you know, get even if you get double team, you don't lose your space.
Speaker 5: And we lost big Man. So then he's going to be the guy Jonathan Hank, Yeah, he's going to be a new guy.
Speaker 8: They asked Zim about his temperament. He goes, what's that supposed to me? Just like he didn't know what they were talking about, and so he said, you know, da da da da. And then he got to the point he goes, I don't like mistakes, and he goes, and he's going to be on the sideline. That's where he's always been. And he said, and basically, I tell the guys, if you screw up and you come to the sideline, you better go to the other end of the bench because you don't want to get close to me. So that set that tone, and I thought Greg allis the new defensive end coach. Probably simplified Mozzy's job.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 8: Basically, he said, put your hands on the center and be violent. That's all you got to do. So they feel like they're asking him to do more what he was doing at Michigan. Than what they were asking him to do this past season as a rookie.
Speaker 5: When he came out, he was considered I think they had a category.
Speaker 2: He was like the stud of the year or something.
Speaker 3: Right, the Bruce Feldman spreaks list three college football.
Speaker 5: Players when you have that kind of a you know, mantra going and you can lift all these weights and all of that.
Speaker 3: Now to buy new equipment in the Michigan the weight room for Mazi.
Speaker 8: So they should be this should be they want him square to the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 5: If you have that kind of a reputation, right then this should be simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean not easy, but simple. Yeah, he turned it out.
Speaker 8: Is one thing, put your irons on the center and be violent.
Speaker 3: And so the assignment that Zim gives Mazzi is as a one technique is hold the fort.
Speaker 8: In there exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: And by the way, they drafted a guy in the seventh round out of Auburn, Justin Rodgers, who fits that description to at six two, three hundred and thirty two pounds.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and evidently he was pretty good at that at Auburn. He had been at Kentucky first, is that right? Maybe he transferred to Auburn.
Speaker 2: So him losing weight, that was.
Speaker 8: I don't know if he did it. I don't. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Because it's counterintuitively. Yes, exactly, so.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he lost over twenty almost thirty pounds.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 8: Over the course of the season. So so anyway.
Speaker 3: He started eating better, more potatoes, I guess, huh.
Speaker 8: And the other thing is when when So they're talking to Zim about Michael Parsons, and you know, is he a linebacker? Is the defensive end And the most Mike would allude to is he'll be in different spots.
Speaker 2: Smart, So I wouldn't give him anything.
Speaker 8: The idea, and I think he said this a couple of times. He goes, we want to make sure they have to turn their protection away from Michaeh Parsons. So the way they line up, there are protections going to have to go somewhere else. Whether they're going to be in trouble, well, we need.
Speaker 5: To word not necessarily worry about fooling them, but make sure that we don't get fooled. Right, So he has to show up on his recognition talking about Parsons, he has to recognize better we're depending on him, not just for sacks. There are times when he gets in there, Yeah, we need you to stop to run now, And when he goes in there, his mentality seems to be one sided. You gotta you gotta be ready for everything. That's gotta He's got to show some matuity in that regard in this camp, in this this camp, because this is his third year.
Speaker 2: Am I right?
Speaker 5: Yes, he needs to show that he can be more than one trick, more than one trick fourth year, fourth, fourth year. Wow, it's definitely time for him to show something better.
Speaker 8: Three years of thirteen thirteen or more sacks thirteen.
Speaker 5: Thirteen and a half, fourteen sacks look good, good for stats, but you got to do.
Speaker 8: More to run And as then pointed out, we all we all know this. He goes if you got him on the line of scrimmage, chances are they're going to run right at him.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 8: If that's what you know, his responsibility is. You don't want you don't want him to track down from behind. You go right at him and at one hundred and fifty one hundred and fifty, two fifty or two fifty five against three thirty. Right, it's a bad mismatch.
Speaker 2: But you got to be smarter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Freenni Dwhight Freennie about the same size. I mean, he was a force to be wackoned.
Speaker 8: But his body was different than Parsons. Parsons not built like a defensive end. He's built like a linebacker to me.
Speaker 2: But you gotta use what's good for you. First of all.
Speaker 5: He's got to be smart enough to be in position. That's number one. Second ball, that's when you use your your athletic ability after you mentally put yourself in position. That's just football, right, And he's not. He's not developing quickly mentally as as I would like for him too.
Speaker 8: And even if they run at you, that's fine, Just don't get out of position right now.
Speaker 2: He's like you said, hold down the edge. Yeah he does not.
Speaker 5: Sometimes he just opens up the door, right because he's looking for that sack. I'm sure that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Zimmo is going to work work on him with that. I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: More of the focus of what Yeah, we can I continue with this right.
Speaker 3: We started this segment with Tyler Bebe, the third round draft pick out of Kansas State, and I understand from producers Supreme that we might be able to actually hear from Cooper BB.
Speaker 11: Now, so right after draft, coach sorry called me and said, you know, start working on center. So ever since then, I mean I've been working on my snaps that kind of thing, and doing doing different zoom calls and stuff before this, just to get ready and just preparing myself, you know, doing the stuff at home, just to get ready to you know, make sure I know myself.
Speaker 2: It just depends.
Speaker 11: I mean, just I mean, anybody that'll that'll catch I mean, that's really the biggest thing for me is I mean just any time, like I'll be in the hotel, I'll be taking snaps, you know, in the ballroom that kind of thing. So just anytime I can just oh yeah, absolutely yeah. I had my dad out there catching my little brother and just you know, whoever was available.
Speaker 7: So fun fact about Cooper BB. His younger brother plays at Kansas State now, so he Cooper BB he wanted to stay a fifth year to play a season with his brother.
Speaker 4: And then another fun fact.
Speaker 7: About Cooper is he's actually getting his master's degree right now in education. So he's gonna have quite a year being a rookie and getting his master's degree.
Speaker 2: Could you see the kids. Hey a teacher, he's huge.
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 3: We continue with more mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 14: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pair can cracks a kickoff, tailgates, going waypass, postgame Sunday Night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Quick, America's team playing America's greatest sport.
Speaker 2: Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 15: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP FraudWatch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash b Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping.
Speaker 4: Of cool pepsi.
Speaker 10: Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like. Tomed Shuts.
Speaker 7: Country Music is the rock in the Star in Frisco with a free multi day fan festival ahead of the big show. Come celebrate country music's party of the year at the ACM Country Kickoff today. The fun starts each day at three pm with live performances from the newest country music stars, pop up shops, exclusive artist merch, a beer garden, food trucks, and much more. Visit Acmcountrykickoff dot com for more info. And that is here at the Star in Frisco on the Plaza, free music all day today, starting at three, starting at three o'clock.
Speaker 3: All right, nickey, we're running out of time here. On this edition of Mixship, I found my quote from Zim J. Mozzi Smith.
Speaker 8: He said, obviously he's a high draft pick. I heard that he kind of struggled last year. I loved what he said, I heard struggled. He said, we're going to start with the basics. Get him in a good stance, get him using his hands the right way, getting his footwork the right way, and kind of go from there. I talked to him a little bit meaning on Monday, and I asked him what weight do you feel comfortable at? And he said that I'm told that he's three oh five. So we'll stuck art there. He said, we got to get him to that point first, get his strength back, and then we'll let him go out there on the field. We anticipate that he's going to be a good player like he was in college. But that's how we have to go, meaning he's probably not going to get on the field and do anything in the off season until training camp since he had the shoulder surgery. So yeah, yeah he did.
Speaker 2: So what I mean, I think it was.
Speaker 8: Labor hom or whatever in your shoulder that he had it after that after the he and uh schoolmaker schoonmaker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, top two picks from last year.
Speaker 8: So yeah, both had shoulders repair now. So so anyway, that was kind of what Zim said, and he goes, you know, he has to be in a He said he was trying to be an attacking three technique to get up the field. We're going to be able to play blocks a little bit more than that and try not to get reads, so linebackers know what gaps they're supposed to fill instead of the offensive lineman getting through where the gap was supposed to be.
Speaker 5: So that's h I recall when I was with the Giants, one of their strengths was attacking the bubble break, busting the bubble so that guard, when that guard, those guards come off the line of scrimmage, you're going to be met with a linebacker and his head's going to be right in your face. And that's how guys like Steve diasse Pepper Johnson, those guys, they they would weigh in at around two fifty and after way in they probably put on about another fifteen pounds, you know, And so when they played the game, they were about two to sixty five. And so you're meeting that guard and you're busting that bubble. That's why there was no gap in there. That's why we were always number.
Speaker 2: One in defense.
Speaker 5: They he made sure and eliminated that guard's released down the field.
Speaker 8: The other thing I noticed I got my first chance to see Jeff Segon. Is that how you said, defensive line coach? And he looks like a defensive line man and he's got those defensive lineman eyes. And he walked in and somebody asked him kind of an off the cuff question, just trying to be funny, and he looked at him and stared, he goes, so that's how we're gonna begin. And I said, oh, okay, this is a sense, dude.
Speaker 7: When at rookie minicamp, we could see him in the backfield with the d lineman and he I mean, he was down with his hands on the field, just like walking him through every single step. So he has that player mentality and.
Speaker 8: Him Well, you got two former players coaching the defensive line with Greg Allis and him going about their business.
Speaker 2: Greg's guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's a nice guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, worked out pretty well when he had a former player coaching the defensive line back in the sixties and seventies. Here Ernie Serietner.
Speaker 8: Yeah, hall of.
Speaker 2: Famer, the youngest Hall of Fame in history.
Speaker 8: He was pretty no nonsense too. You didn't want to mess with Ernie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't ever remember him smiling that much, that's right. Yeah, there.
Speaker 8: Actually, you had a bunch of guys that didn't smile. I don't think Gene Stallings was smiling much now.
Speaker 2: But Jimmie was the coolest. Jerry was the nicest guy.
Speaker 5: Remember Dick. He was that my rookie year. I was I had too much going on. I don't remember a special team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they didn't make you play special teams.
Speaker 5: They did, But I don't remember the guy. I don't remember him.
Speaker 8: One year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I should have remembered that eighty one, right, he was there. Yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I hadn't yet. I should I should remember that. That's crazy.
Speaker 8: Coach Myers was pretty serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please don't. That's the least of what you call him. He was not fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah didks last year as a coach here was in eighty one.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: He was his system head coach and special teams coordinator.
Speaker 5: Life, Man, tell you, I haven't really been busy all right, final minute or so?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 3: You got a mix shot for us? Give us, give us something to close on.
Speaker 5: I got a mixed shot. Brady's making all this damn money. He's going to be the announcer for the Cowboys yep so and seventy five million dollars for ten years.
Speaker 3: So do you think Tyler Goyton still had the smile on his face at practice after the schedule release came out that the Cowboys are opening at Cleveland and Miles Garrett.
Speaker 7: I don't know about the smile, but he's probably like, let's get to work. He moved down here two days after he got drafted and was like, let's start training. So he was over at the sports academy next door just keeping He's like ready to roll.
Speaker 2: Did he have that much enthusiasm at you? I don't recall, Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, he wasn't there that long. He was just I mean he started five games is second to last year there.
Speaker 5: Bill can be kind of a joke when it comes to his alumni. You know, he really expects a lot. He is still just disappointing Jalen. You know, he's not crazy about guy. I don't understand that was you were like I thought you were like boom of Sona.
Speaker 3: I think most people are like that. Mickey. Are you crazy about all of your Missouri players that come out?
Speaker 8: I'm objective about it, That's right.
Speaker 3: That's what I am. I'm objective about.
Speaker 8: Him because they they the Cowboys signed uh Pete, the Missouri running back. Yeah he was a backup. Okay, so they let the best one get to San Francisco who led the sec and rushing and didn't get drafted. So don't feel too bad.
Speaker 3: But maybe Nathaniel Pete was just as good. He just didn't get the opportunity that Trader did.
Speaker 8: Know he had the opportunity of the year before and struggled at times, let's put it that way.
Speaker 3: So he started his career at Stanford, yes he did, and then about on special teams.
Speaker 8: He was a local guy.
Speaker 5: Oh you shaved. Oh my god, thank you jeez. He was looking like a bumma out of here. Man, you say you look good.
Speaker 2: Your hair like there's something different.
Speaker 8: I want to tell you though, at least you're in the top three, because only three people noticed that I had shaved, or at least said something yeah, yeah, yeah, you're number three. Well good, all that grade is going right. So so I'll leave you with this. When Jeff Blasco was talking about Zeke and they asked him about, you know, short yards and stuff like that, and he goes yeah, he goes, uh, he's a can of kick ass in that department. M So Zeke will find his way on the field. I guarantee you. You also called him the eraser. Meeting on third Down blocking past Protection said he's kind of it's.
Speaker 5: Gonna be a year grinding. This is gonna be a grinding year. It's gonna be a tough grinding.
Speaker 8: Well, it's gonna be a to schedule.
Speaker 2: We'll be off for.
Speaker 3: Trust well Monday, Yes, that's right, and that's when we reconvene here on mix shots Monday at eleven am and enjoy your scale to release stars clinching MAVs getting a leg up on the Thunder Wednesday night and we'll see on Monday.
Speaker 2: Go Stars, Go MAVs.
Speaker 8: And this has been
Speaker 1: A production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club