Speaker 1: Swipe right. It's one more thing. I'm strong and getty. One more thing.
Speaker 2: We've already get into swiping Wright left, which I only know about from hearing people reference it.
Speaker 1: I've never done it myself.
Speaker 2: Before we get to that, here's a little John Stewart from the Daily Show earlier this week.
Speaker 3: And the Harris campaign has a massive ground game, fifty thousand volunteers.
Speaker 4: This is the first time some Democrats have told me they've ever heard of people knocking on the same doors a second time or a third time.
Speaker 3: You know, if there's one thing people love more than someone appearing randomly at their door once, it's that same in Parson coming back two or three times to talk politics, even though everyone from vacuum salesman to Jehovah's witnesses, No, that's a losing strategy.
Speaker 1: In fact, they own that for decades.
Speaker 3: Let's just spend a quarter of a billion.
Speaker 1: Dollars on it.
Speaker 3: You know what Democrats should do, whatever money is left over, send those same people back to those voters' doors and just knock again during dinner, and when the homeowner comes to the door, go, what the scot.
Speaker 1: I thought we connected? Wow?
Speaker 2: John Stewart as usual pointing out the obvious that everybody miss misses. That was a different era, back when campaigns built their their ground game with door knockers. Who it's the same with answering your phone. Nobody answers the phone if it's a number they don't know. And most people in the modern era, probably not for better, probably for worse, but don't like people coming and knocking on their door, Like John Stewart's how about that person coming back a second time?
Speaker 1: Really makes you want to vote for that candidate, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: This is a second time you've knocked on my door until I finally got up and came and answered the door, hoping you would go away.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's just getting back to the.
Speaker 5: Incomprehensible amount of money that the Harris campaign spent well over a billion dollars for a crushing defeat. I mean, God, bless you. If you want to give away your money to a political campaign, that's up to you entirely. But man, that's a lot of money spent for naught. Of course, anybody who got it is thinking, yeah, I'm loving this trend. I don't even have to win, and they give me a you know, they spend a billion dollars. But and certainly in the advertising industry it's appreciated. But holy cow, how much would they have lost by if they'd only spent as much as Trump?
Speaker 4: Right, there was a video that went viral right before the actual election took place of Kamala going to some family's home and she was going to do get a video of a door knock, and one of the people somewhere around the scene took a cell phone video of her having the family go back inside so they could get a better take of her doing a door Nah, that's like it's.
Speaker 5: A reality TV show.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Times change.
Speaker 2: There was a time when I guess you would have been perfectly happy to have somebody knock on your door and you open the door and you engage them in conversation. That people aren't that way anymore.
Speaker 1: Also, the way couples meet.
Speaker 2: This gets to the swipe left or swipe right thing that I teased a Have you ever seen those graphs? I usually see them on YouTube, but it's a moving graph and you see how things shift over time.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen those graphs? Are really cool?
Speaker 2: Like I saw one of the most dominant websites and it started in like nineteen ninety five, and you'd have the biggest.
Speaker 1: Long bar graph.
Speaker 2: At the top was was AOL, And then as the months and years went by, the AOL graph kept shrinking. But then all of a sudden, a Yahoo shows up, Then a Google shows up and moves a clear fossile screen and dominates it. Can you just see how things change over time?
Speaker 5: I came acrossos animations, They're really cool. I've come across some like world population, Yeah, immigration flow and that's right thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, IDP.
Speaker 2: This one was how couples met, and it started in nineteen thirty and it went until now. And I screen captured a couple of different points which I thought were interesting. But starting in nineteen thirty, how couples met almost two thirds from one source, well, three sources put together, but they're kind of similar ish sort of things. Family number one, school number two, friends number three. Almost two thirds of couples met from family, school, or friends. And then you get to twenty twenty four, and that's only eighteen percent of people meet through family, school and friends. The two thirds replaced little by little over time. Obviously you guessed it with online. I didn't realize that almost two thirds of couples now meet online. It's the most most common way to me. I think some of that trend probably has to do with age. You know, if you're going to form a permanent or would be permanent life relationship at age eighteen, say to twenty one, you're going to do it differently. I think, Well, I got to believe if you eliminate, you know, people fifty and up, maybe this number of online couples meeting goes up.
Speaker 1: Probably it might Jesus might be eighty.
Speaker 2: Percent or something for forty and under. I don't have any idea. Do you have any sense of that, Katie? Like most of your friends do they single? Friends?
Speaker 1: Do they meet people online? Most of them online?
Speaker 4: Actually, I've got one friend who met her fiance at work and then the rest of them have been online dating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody I know who's single, they really only talk about online dating. I mean, as if that is the option for meeting people, and it might be. I don't know. I haven't tried it, and I'm scared to death of trying it for a variety of reasons, and I don't think I ever will. But if that's how everybody else is meeting it, does you know what scares you about it?
Speaker 1: Being ending up in a vent as all.
Speaker 2: That being a minor celebrity makes it weird in some ways. Okay, yeah, I don't want anybody getting any personal details about me and you know, just screen capturing and.
Speaker 1: Posting them or whatever. I mean that just that weirds me out a lot.
Speaker 2: And then I don't know, it just sounds like a lot of work and people I know who do it, and maybe if you're an extrovert, it's awesome. You go on a lot of dates and get to meet a lot of people, and then it either goes from there.
Speaker 4: I just had to I've been on two online dates and they were both hillacious, So you're not really missing a hole.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess you have to weed through a lot of hilatious to get to the one that is great, and you know you end up together for a while or forever, which doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't hilacious apart positive?
Speaker 1: I'm an idiot.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm right.
Speaker 2: I thought it was awful. Yeah, you had drinks, fell in love and hooked up. That's a hlatious date.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not quibbling for the point of quibbling. I just love words, but hilatious. So I understood perfectly well what you meant, and I get it very.
Speaker 4: Great, bad or overwhelming. There was a hilacious hailstorm.
Speaker 5: Well you're right, it means extraordinary, remarkable, Yes, Michael, thank you, thank you. So you used a Prochael, who was the editor in chief of the Oxford English Dictionary for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Katie used the probably, but they learned that one.
Speaker 2: They were bad because what I picture is you both know within two seconds that you don't want to do this, and you still got to go through with the half hour cup of coffee or meal or whatever it is you do.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, my The worst one for me was this guy. He was beautiful online. I mean he was in a suit, he was wakeboarding, and he seemed super outdoorsy and fun.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, cool.
Speaker 4: He showed up to this really nice restaurant wearing the longest jean shorts I've ever seen in my life. Wow, a Lakers jersey down to his knees and a flat built hat worn crooked, and I went, what the f right? And it turns out he was in a suit because he was a bodyguard at a strip club across the street from the radio station where I worked.
Speaker 5: So, oh, there you go.
Speaker 1: He could have hung Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: People that the people that mislead the real them, because I wouldn't want.
Speaker 1: To do that, be God.
Speaker 2: The last thing I would want is to walk into a room and see the look of disappointment in their eyes.
Speaker 1: I just it just sounds horrible. I wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I've seen that so many times. I've seen it enough for me too.
Speaker 2: I just I can't have I can't imagine wanting to over sell myself to that point.
Speaker 1: But I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know, I know, I know it's a very very common thing. I heard from men and women.
Speaker 5: You know, Katie. A man who's willing to rock the extra long jorts is got confidence.
Speaker 2: And showing up to a restaurant which is a tank top. He knows who he is exactly, which is fine. But why wouldn't you want to portray who you are in the picture to people that might like who you are, might think cool. They want a guy dressed like that. I see attractive women with guys dressed like that. There are women out there who want that just wasn't you.
Speaker 1: Right, not me?
Speaker 4: And that Yeah, there was not one photo of I think there were like eight or nine on his page that indicated that that was his sense of style at all.
Speaker 1: So when he showed up.
Speaker 4: And Greg Gory, who we had on the Extra Long, Extra Large Prora the podcast, he came with me as like a covert guy that was sitting at another table, just to make sure I was safe.
Speaker 1: And I looked over at him and went, I got I gotta get out of here so bad. It was so bad now.
Speaker 5: To cover wing Man. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'd go with in my description single parent. I've got roughly thirty minutes every two weeks to spend time with you, and I'm angry most of the time. So line up over, take a number exactly.
Speaker 5: Let them to the left, Ladies. I'm thinking about my kids, two of whom are in stable relationships, one of whom is not at this point, and it was school and they're in their mid twenties to early thirties, school mutual friends. And my son is not currently in a stable relationship, but his last girlfriend that was mutual friends. I think now maybe it's they grew up under me. In a family slash cult that makes the Amish look like the jetsums. So maybe that rubbed off on them and they've gone old school.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My whole life is made up of almost entirely friends acquaintances through things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, I've been to two weddings this year, both of them Tender. Really Yeah wow? Now is Tinder still a uh?
Speaker 2: Because it had the reputation originally of being more of a hookup app than a meet.
Speaker 1: People to get married? But is that still the case? I don't have any idea.
Speaker 4: I believe there's one that came out in the last couple of years post Tender that is more of the hookup app.
Speaker 1: Now, I can't remember what a lot of people I know talk about. Bumble that's the one. Oh really?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bumble is the one that I've heard is more for hooking up. Really, Or there's Bumble and Hinge. Yeah, I don't I think, Yeah, take your word for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, these names are increasingly random. I'd ringe.
Speaker 2: I'd never thought about it before, but that actually would be a stumbling block.
Speaker 1: So say, for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: They're not appalled by my photo and uh, and we and we decide we want to meet and uh, and my immediate aggression doesn't turn them off. We just want to meet. I would say, let me get in my calendar two Thursdays after next between one and three in the afternoon, before I pick up my kid. I think if you're in my neighborhood, we could meet for a little while.
Speaker 1: I'll make it least.
Speaker 5: We could pull up next to each other to stop light and say, how are you doing good? How are you good?
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: I gotta go pick up my kid from school, and I got some laundry to do in a meal to prepare.
Speaker 1: I'm hungry. You can follow me through the Mickey D's drive stream as well. We'll do that thing where I buy your meal the car ahead of you. I'll pay it forward to your meal behind me, and then see you later.
Speaker 5: You want to do a bang bang, No, that's not sexual, Well, let me explain.
Speaker 1: It's two different kinds of meals. And never mind true love over a mcflurry. Well, I guess that's it.