Speaker 1: Hey, that folks.
Speaker 2: It is Thursday, February nineteenth, and the royal formerly known as Prince Andrew has been arrested. With that Welcome to this breaking news episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 1: Robes.
Speaker 2: This news is just coming to us just as we were about to hit the record butting on something else this morning. It's hard to imagine, Robes a farther fall from grace for Andrew, and yet it has happened. Just your reaction to hearing Prince Andrew for Prince Andrew is now under arrest.
Speaker 3: I have to say I feel emotional because I don't think most people ever thought this day would happen. I know that so many of the victims of Jeffrey Epstein, and especially Virginia Giufray, if she could have seen this day, I don't think she thought it was possible. I think most of the victims didn't think this was likely. And to see this happen is just overwhelming. I think that's my initial reaction. I'm emotionally overwhelmed, and it feels like finally, finally, justice might actually be happening.
Speaker 1: All right, and justice what will that look like?
Speaker 2: Let's be clear here, folks, and again, this news just came to us minutes minutes before we started recording here. So a lot of more information still to come, but these, at least from what we understand, charges, and there is a police statement even about this. These charges aren't necessarily Robes to your point there about victims not having to do with sexual misconduct. Instead, this has to do with his behavior, his conduct, if you will. While he was representing the British government and still connected to Epstein, he possibly passed on some confidential information to Epstein and that would be the violation of life law. That is what we're talking about, Steel Ropes. It's his connection to Epstein, even if it's not a charge of some kind of sexual misconduct.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: It does feel a little bit like how back in the day the United States was able to go after members of the mafia. They didn't actually convict them on some of the most heinous parts of what they've been are accused of murder, etc.
Speaker 4: But it was tax evasion, you know.
Speaker 3: So you find a way, and this certainly is one way where they feel like they can prove it appears that he violated British law and so yes, the Thames Valley Police made a statement and They actually didn't officially name Andrew the former prince because that is also British law, but we can go ahead and read for you the statement that they put out. Thames Valley Police has opened an investigation into the offense of misconduct in public office. As part of the investigation, we have today arrested a man in his sixty from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active, so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court. The Assistant Chief Constable said, following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate the investigate this alleged defense.
Speaker 4: And this is interesting, they say. At the end.
Speaker 3: We understand the significant public interest in this case and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.
Speaker 2: So this is a suspicion of misconduct while in public office. That is officially what they've been looking at. Now we should go back, we should explain, yes, they've been looking into this because an allegation came up and it was brought to police attention. However, as we've had trickle and trickle and trickle of Epstein files come out, those Epstein files have continued to show more of relationships between a lot of powerful people around the world and Jeffrey Epstein. We have known robes for a long time about the relationship and the allegations having to do with the relationship between Epstein and former Prince Andrew, but some of the documents are giving more insight into the relationship and apparently there is something in this new batch that has provided further evidence that allowed police to move forward with this idea of some misconduct in public office.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: There's an email specifically that Andrew appears to have forwarded to Jeffrey Epstein, and in that email, the forwarding was official reports about visits he made as an envoy of the British government to South Asia. So he gets these official reports from his assistant Andrew, and then he forwards these official reports, these government documents to Jeffrey Epstein, and that is the act that he is now being investigated for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's a violation. You're passing along confident.
Speaker 2: Imagine a top secret US document you pass along to somebody of yours via email.
Speaker 1: That is a violation.
Speaker 2: So now they feel they have enough to move forward, and they're moving forward and arresting the former Prince Andrew. On happy birthday, mister former Prince today happens to be his sixty sixth birthday. Police have been seen at the home that he is in now, which is his brother's home, because he officially got kicked out of the Royal residences.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yes? He obviously we have seen over the past several months the Royal Family, in a very bold and public way, distanced themselves in statement and in localit.
Speaker 1: He got kicked out of a family, He got.
Speaker 3: Kicked out of the family, got kicked out of the family homes, lost his title. I mean, they have done everything they can to completely distance themselves from Andrew, including now we can't even call him Prince Andrew anymore.
Speaker 4: The man formally known as Prince Andrew he.
Speaker 2: Took that title, and at the time, Robes, when that happened, a lot of people looked at and really celebrated. This is the best we're ever going to get, because that is no small thing. That doesn't just happen to have your print now to us here in this country, like, oh, yeah, that's a big deal. Oh that's tough. That sucks for him. This is everything over there. To have a title taken that was given to you by birth, that was a big deal. Thought that was going to be the end of it. Robes, we knew some investigations and things were going on. I have to tell you I wasn't holding out some hope and had an expectation that we were going to have this headline.
Speaker 4: No, this actually no, It truly takes my breath away.
Speaker 3: I'm not overstating that this is something that I don't think most people thought they would ever witness in their lifetime. I believe I've been actually looking at the precedence for this and it just doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: This is unheard of. This is significant.
Speaker 3: And just before the announcement was made, by the way, interestingly enough, Prime Minister of Great Britain kre Starmer told the BBC. Nobody is above the law, and they were talking about so he was probably very aware of what was about to happen or what had been happening behind the scenes before we saw this news break today, and certainly just to even see a British police there at the residence where Andrew is and then to think about him being incarcerated right now, in custody right now, The idea of that, the image of that, it blows my mind.
Speaker 2: I mean again, you know, it's shocking that the arrest took place. It's for what a reason it. I don't to see an image of him under arrest wouldn't be shocking. I'm saying. For so long we have not had hidden or publicly ropes. He hasn't had any type of respectful reputation in years, in years and years, and for the most part, the reputation is like an icky, creepy guy was the Oh my god, even I'm sorry if you can't come up with it, I can't right now. The billboards that the company uses in New York, oh.
Speaker 3: They were tongue in cheek making fun of basically how Prince Andrew got away with the crimes that everyone knows he committed.
Speaker 1: So to my point, it was a storage company in New York.
Speaker 2: Essentially big billboard you drive around it said they advertise no fees, no penalties, just like Prince Andrew.
Speaker 1: Like it was.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, the reputation you could, you could say anything about him. Everybody just understood this was the this was the royal that was It was okay to insult. This was the old He was just an outlier robes. So to think now he's been arrested. Maybe we didn't think it was going to happen, But I think for the most part, people aren't shocked by the idea of this guy being in handcuffs.
Speaker 1: Most we go, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: That's a very good point you should make.
Speaker 3: He for long, for years now, he has been a joke, a laughing stock people.
Speaker 4: But that's even wrong. He shouldn't just be a joke or a laughing stock.
Speaker 3: He most certainly should have been held accountable for these insinuations, these allegations, and truly most people believe. I think in this world that people who have enough money, who have enough protection, who have a big enough title, will never be held accountable. I think some people just almost unfortunately submit to that idea and accept that idea. And so to see somebody actually now who was at the highest level you can think potentially, I mean, he wasn't elected to his office, as you point out, he was given it, perhaps even stronger than in terms of his protection, because this is something he was born into, something he was entitled to. And so to see some of those titles stripped away as one thing, but to now see him held accountable in a criminal court essentially, which is what we will actually be moving forward with, is just surreal now. I actually, by the way, in case anyone was interested, I did find that billboard slogan because it is the point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is what it said, safe, secure, protected with minimum charges, just like and.
Speaker 2: They were advertising storage space, like they used him as a punchline just to advertise storage space. Has nothing to do with anything I'm saying. That's the reach of this story. That's the reach of Epstein. That's the reach of power. That's the reach of Prince Andrew. And what this story has been for year robes how many how long? At least a decade this but how long has he been dealing with Epstein?
Speaker 1: Oh? The accusations.
Speaker 3: Look, I believe Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide in twenty nineteen. Correct, so he was arrested again, but he was initially held accountable for a very small sweetheart deal that he received in Florida back in two thousand and seven. Prince Andrew or Andrew's name, has been involved in this story for decades, I believe would be the best way to put it, for more than fifteen years at least. And Virginia Giuffrey, who at the time was went by Virginia Roberts. She put her name out there almost immediately people knew who she was. She made the initial allegations she actually was. I don't know if she was Jane Doe number one or Jane No. Number two in these but she has been speaking out and speaking up. She went hiding in Australia because she was so concerned about the backlash and the repercussions of saying what happened to her. But she was the first person to point the finger directly at Andrew period.
Speaker 1: He is Folks.
Speaker 2: As we speak this morning, we continue to watch these reports being coming out from several outlets BBC in particular, but now everyone has picked up in all the major reporting yes, that Prince Andrew the Royal, formerly known as Prince Andrew, is in police custody as we speak and has been arrested this morning after a round of police activity at his home.
Speaker 1: That continues. We'll explain what's happenings to here.
Speaker 2: And we continue here on Amy and TJ with a breaking story that I mean, We'll be honest with you, guys. We were all set to hit record on a different story overnight story this morning and Rhodes, I is it really? Were we not a minute two minutes away from doing something else and this story came across and this will be the story of the day everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yes, we actually were sitting had our microphones in hand, and all of a sudden you said, hold up, Robes, we have a massive breaking news story to report. And so yes, getting word that Andrew, formerly known as Prince Andrew. I guess he's Andrew mount Batten Windsor has been arrested and is being investigated for charges of misconduct in public office. The reports are that he sent and we see the email he forwarded an email he received from his assistance about official royal duties in South Asia. He sent these official reports to Jeffrey Epstein, which would be a clear violation of British law. And by the way, this is really significant because if he is found guilty, the maximum penalty.
Speaker 4: For these charges life in prison. That is.
Speaker 3: Again I keep saying the words surreal, but I just it's hard to process this day and this arrest and what this conviction could mean.
Speaker 2: Police, again, as we speak, continue to be at his home now, according to reports out of the BBC, at least now that this has been initiated, Now that this process is underway, they will be searching. Police you can expect them to be at his home or homes and now have the authority to start collecting information, collecting evidence. We have seen this morning, at least the pictures and the images we're seeing Robes, it is it's wild to see authorities, police outfitted in police uniforms at the home of former Prince Andrew going through his stuff. But that is what's happening this morning, Robes. I don't know how and I don't think people expect it. This story, this Epstein's story, is incredible. We're talking about people stepping down recently and people under fire. The guy at the LA Olympics, that's running that.
Speaker 5: All these tize, these powerful, powerful people, and yet roads in the past week we have seen a bunch of domin fall. This is the biggest domino in the Epstein story.
Speaker 3: Yes, we last week, I believe it was the top lawyer for Goldman Sachs, all of her emails were released. We're seeing folks from Norway, the ambassador there stepping down, resigning. This is the point, and this was why there was such a rallying cry for transparency for the FBI, for the Department of Justice, for anyone who had files and emails related to Jeffrey Epstein and the investigation into his illegal activity. They wanted the people who had been protected essentially by not having these documents released. People wanted to know who was allowing him. You know, this is a huge part of it. People who were in positions of power, who created a safety net, so to speak, a bubble for Jeffrey Epstein to operate in and around. People wanted those folks held accountable. And we are seeing that now actually finally happen with this latest three million document drop from the day Dog. And this is pretty remarkable. And yes, this is the biggest fish. This was the biggest name that had been out there. Definitely, with all the names that have been suggested, this was the big fish.
Speaker 2: And I should have said this at the very should have said this at the very top. He has always denied wrongdoing. He has not been held accountable criminally for anything. At this point, he is still an innocent man, but he has denied wrongdoing. That wrongdoing includes allegations direct and public allegations that he in fact did have sex with an underage girl on multiple occasions, that being Virginia je Fray.
Speaker 3: It also should be noted though, in twenty twenty two, he paid Virginia an undisclosed amount of money to settle a civil lawsuit in a New York Co. Court, and in that lawsuit, Virginia did state specifically that he raped her, that he sexually abused her when she was seventeen. Now, in that settlement, as you point out, he did not admit any wrong doing, but he did pay her a decent amount of money.
Speaker 1: And again people can come to those conclusions.
Speaker 2: But at this point it should and continue should be noted that he is considered and should be considered an innocent man and has always denied any wrongdoing. Folks, this is going to be a developing story throughout the day today because it has just happened within the past hour, within the past moments and minutes even and as it continues to develop. But the biggest probably fish in this whole Epstein fiasco that so many people have pointed towards. Yes, Gallaine Maxwell is in jail. She has a twenty year prison sentence, and a lot of people are saying, fine, that's the only justice we can get because Epstein died, I think robes a lot of people thought that was the best you're going to get as far as accountability. And I think a lot of people get angry at the idea of her trying to get out of jail or being pardoned, because a lot of people look at this is all we're.
Speaker 1: Going to have an accountability. This adds a new life.
Speaker 4: Oh, it certainly does.
Speaker 3: And we had already heard previously from King Charles and the Royal family that they would stand by and continue to support any law enforcement action that may or may not be taken against Andrew. So they have already previously stated that they stand in support at the victims, they stand in support of the law. So Andrew will not be getting any help from the Royal family.
Speaker 1: Stay with us, folks again.
Speaker 2: Top right corner of your Apple podcast app, where you see our show page, little button says follow click that you could subscribe and always get our updates.
Speaker 1: There are a plenty these days.
Speaker 2: There will be plenty on this story today, probably officially from law enforcement, but also we can expect to probably hear from victims of Epstein and people who were tied into this whole mess because Robes a lot of people as we are talking, are hearing this news for the first time.
Speaker 1: A lot of people in the world are going to wake up to this.
Speaker 2: A lot of people, Robes victims in this Epstein story as we talk. It's amazing to think are not aware that this has happened yet.
Speaker 3: I just got chills because waking up to this news, even if, and to your point, he's not being charged with anything sexual or anything to do with what so many of these victims endured or encountered, but just to know that someone who thought he could get away with acting the way he is accused of acting with Jeffrey Epstein might finally actually have a day in court. That is a huge, huge development. And of course we will stay on top of it for all of you. Thank you in the meantime though, for listening to us. I made me roback alongside TJ.
Speaker 4: Holmes. We will be talking to you very soon.