Speaker 1: Welcome to Checking In with Michelle Williams, a production of iHeartRadio and The Black Effect.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, I'm so excited for y'all to hear this podcast. This is for those who weren't able to get to the podcast festival where I was hanging out with my girls Josselle and Robin Dixon of Reasonably Shady. I was all my best behavior, y'all, because there is nothing about me that is shady at all. Okay, well, I'll let you guys be the judge of that. But thank y'all so much for tuning in again. I say every episode, I can't do what I do without you guys listening and subscribing downloading episodes, so please enjoy.
Speaker 3: Okay, It's a privilege and the honor to be in business with all of these women. Man One lady is a singer, songwriter, actress, member of the biggest selling R and B group of all time, and a mental health advocate.
Speaker 4: And you may know the other two ladies from Bravo's hit show, The Real Housewives of Potomac. But today they are reasonable and shady, and I mean, if you listen to this, they shady as hell, y'all.
Speaker 5: And I love it.
Speaker 4: So please welcome Michelle Williams, Robin Dixon, and just ou prior.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Reasonably Shady Checking In.
Speaker 6: My name is Jizelle Bruds, I'm Robin Dixon.
Speaker 5: My name is Michelle Williams. What's up, Atlanta. It is so exciting to be here.
Speaker 6: This is the Black Effect Festival number one. This is history in the making. Nice to see everybody. Yea, y'all give it up for yourself house.
Speaker 5: Look at this. This house is packed. Yeah, it is packed. It is sold out.
Speaker 2: So thank y'all so much for supporting the very, very first ever podcast festival. We know that it is going to be like double next year in triple, but y'all are the first. So thank you for being like she said, like Joselle said, history bristo, she said.
Speaker 7: You welcome you, thank you, thank you. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yes, so let me ask you all. Are y'all into.
Speaker 6: Checking in with Michelle?
Speaker 5: Of course? Thank you. Oh this is a reasonably shady.
Speaker 6: This is like a marriage made in heaven because like we're the balance up here, we're reasonably shady and Michelle is just so beautiful checking in on your mental health and so she can put us in check when we might be a little off.
Speaker 5: We'll see.
Speaker 2: And now let's let's let's keep it all the way real. A lot of us like to.
Speaker 5: Live with boundaries and peace.
Speaker 7: And joy and balance.
Speaker 2: But there's a little sliver of shady in your soul that ain't quite God, ain't quite work through yet.
Speaker 5: So that's me, I'm gonna telling me, and.
Speaker 6: Y'all are probably wondering why the three of us are doing this together. First of all, we all know that Michelle is used to being on stage with two very bad queen so she's allowing us to be with her today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Michelle, I'm really excited to be with your beautiful, beautiful ladies today.
Speaker 8: Well, in typical reasonably shady fashion, we start off our podcast with our reasonably shady moment of the week.
Speaker 5: Who wants to go first? You go first, I'm gonna go first.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, guys, it's been a week. First and foremost, for those of you all who don't know me, I have three beautiful daughters. One is eighteen, her name's Grace. I have twins, Angela and the Door. I think their dad is here somewhere.
Speaker 6: I think the good reverend.
Speaker 8: I think we don't called him out. I think he's here somewhere anyway. Oh, somebody's pointing. Okay, anyway, not that that's not Pastor Bryant, but he's he's on.
Speaker 5: His way anyway.
Speaker 8: So this week the girls had a dance recital, and you know, they go to a nice Catholic school, and the dance recital was a torque of some sort. It was it was it was like it was like a semi torqu. It was like a uh and a butt roll.
Speaker 5: But that's it. We're gonna keep it cool.
Speaker 6: However, Grace always says that the twins can't dance, and they get it from their mama.
Speaker 8: So I'm always like, why y'all throwing shade on me? Because I do remember Michelle, the person that taught me how to twork.
Speaker 5: Don't you do it over here? I mean, I don't know how to work. And I admit that a little bit.
Speaker 8: Okay, So some years I met Michelle, very long time ago, and we were going she came to I was married to pastor.
Speaker 5: She came to the church.
Speaker 8: We were going to dinner, and I told Michelle, I don't know how to twork, and she said Giselle, I know how to t work, and I'm gonna show you how to t work.
Speaker 5: I did you did? Oh my god, what I do? It's in your ankles, right on your knees. Where's that? She said? She said, drop it down? Where's the power at? And then a little something like this is in your ankles? Right? Is that right? Don't be shamed. Do you approve ankle?
Speaker 7: She said, that's not a twerk.
Speaker 5: Do you approve of this? I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't approve. So that is the work that my children do. I learned it from Michelle, Thank you very much. Well, but that's your turking is where she said it.
Speaker 2: It's in your knees with something else shape, it's in your knees, I think.
Speaker 5: So I was in the ankles. The ankles, okay, ankles, So.
Speaker 6: What the ankle's gotta do with the What the ankle's gotta do with the tort Okay, you're losing them up anyway. Pray for my children because they have no rhythm and you're blaming it on Michelle Williams.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's a good one. Okay, So y'all, I'm gonna keep mind really quick.
Speaker 6: So flying down here, yesterday. I'm on the plane. You know, you put your phone in airplane mode and you're on your phone browsing the internet, Instagram, whatever, and my phone rings. I'm actually in thirty thousand feet in the air, and my phone rings, and it's it's a cousin. And so I'm like, what do I do? Let me answer the answer the phone in case it's important. So I literally answer the phone while the flag attendant is serving drinks right in front of me. And she turned to me and was like, I know you ain't just answered the phone. We thirty thousand feet in the air.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh shit, let.
Speaker 6: Me hang out, because I did not want to be like that man yelling about a baby, yelling and screaming and crying about a baby crying. I said, okay, let me hang up really quickly. Yes, but I was the shady one for answering an actual phone call on the airplane.
Speaker 5: I was just so shocked that it came through. But was it worth it? Was it whatever your cousin?
Speaker 6: It wasn't worth it. It wasn't worth it. And thank god they didn't land the plane and kick me off. And I said, let me hurry up and get off this phone, but the fact and I was traveling with my husband and he was like, I can't believe you answered the phone in front of the flight attendant, Like who does that? So I was the shady one answering the phone in front of a flight attendant.
Speaker 5: Michelle, you have a shady moment. I'm trying to think of a shady moment.
Speaker 2: I kind of live a boring life, believe it or not, really nothing to report on in my neck of the woods.
Speaker 6: Come back to so, okay, if you don't have a shady moment, since you are, you know, all about mental health and checking in, do you have something to share just to help people mentally ground themselves or mental health?
Speaker 2: So if I could ask, I know we are recording and we wanted just to teach quieter so that people who are actually listening to us up here can hear us. And someone asked me, how do you know when you are honoring your boundaries?
Speaker 5: Does anybody know what boundaries are? All right?
Speaker 2: So boundaries could be like literally a demarcation in the sand where you do not cross this line. And literally on my page this week, someone said, how do you know that you've honored your boundaries?
Speaker 5: So I said.
Speaker 2: Imagine you say, I'm gonna go to the family reunion this year. But if ain't so and so say something a little shady, I'm out. That's the boundary that you've made, because ain't he so and so or uncle so and so always finds a way to be disrespectful because maybe you've upped your game in life, You've improved in areas of your life, and they haven't. So you know the saying when people in your family say you changed, right, well, just say I have.
Speaker 5: I've changed. You haven't.
Speaker 7: And that's where the problem is. It's with you and now with me.
Speaker 2: Now, the boundary is, how do you know you've honored your boundary is when you literally do what you said you were gonna do. You don't go back and forth with the person. Does anybody know what okay means? I've mastered the ministry of okay?
Speaker 5: Right, okay and you leave.
Speaker 7: That's how you know you are honoring your boundaries.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 8: Yes, right, Actually, Robin and I actually practiced that on a show call The Real Housewives of Potomac.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, we just sit there, We sit there and.
Speaker 6: Say okay, okay, okay, look I'm gonna give ya a little team we are well, we might be doing a little something right now, and I have to ask her to honor my boundaries.
Speaker 5: But that is something when you are real friends.
Speaker 6: That you can do and you don't have to fall out, you don't have to argue, but at some point you can say to your friends, no, yeah, that's enough, we're good.
Speaker 5: And we're moving on.
Speaker 6: So you'll see that, yes, yes, all right, well we are going to move on because it is now time for our reasonably shady Oh no, no, it's our hot topics.
Speaker 5: It is now time for our recent topics.
Speaker 8: It is now time for Robin always gets me together. Okay, it is time for our hot topics.
Speaker 6: Okay, before we get into it, I want to tell the crowd to.
Speaker 5: It into it.
Speaker 6: Before we get into it, i'd want to let y'all know that we're going to be allowing people to ask questions at the end of this show. So if you have a question, keep you know, think of something, and when we get to that at the end, just raise your hand.
Speaker 5: So I just want to prepare y'all for that. Yep.
Speaker 8: Okay, So right off the bat, we gotta check in with y'all I'm looking at the crowd.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing the age range.
Speaker 8: Who is concerned about Hulu and the new Freaknick documentary.
Speaker 5: Who's gonna be honest?
Speaker 6: How many are gonna be on the Freaknick documentary? Raise your hand if you're gonna be on if you're nervous?
Speaker 5: How many of you raise your hands?
Speaker 2: If you're gonna be nervous that you might be in the Freaknik documentary?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 6: Are you nervous that you're gonna see your mother on the Freaknick documentary?
Speaker 5: Are your aunt? Team who was conceived?
Speaker 2: Possibly during that moment, he is jumping up and down, he said.
Speaker 5: I know, yes, he is fright and center on the Freaknik documentary.
Speaker 6: So I mean it's it's it's funny when we get together and when we're on one accord. We are on one accord that we want Freaknick documentary shut down?
Speaker 5: Are you gonna be on there? You think you're gonna be on there? That might be in a documentary? I lost him? Shut down, Jaselle wantn't shut down.
Speaker 6: I want to see it because I want to desist right now.
Speaker 5: I want to see it.
Speaker 6: I'm at my popcorn watch and see who do I see because I think.
Speaker 5: What year didn't stop?
Speaker 8: I don't know what year stopped. But there was a freak Nick Philly. There's a Freaknick Atlanta. There's a freak Nick. But the Atlanta one is like, yes, the top tier one, that's the one.
Speaker 6: This was before problem wetle holder than you, just before your time.
Speaker 2: I mean I was in I graduated high school in ninety seven, so could I.
Speaker 5: Have been a part? So we're like the same.
Speaker 7: I didn't go to Freaknick. I was at vacation Bible.
Speaker 5: School, so I might have been there.
Speaker 6: I think Miami turns into the new Freaknick. So they we're going to Seejaizh. Everybody keep your eyes open for Jisel.
Speaker 5: And the new freaking and the new and she has not changed. She's she's gonna look.
Speaker 2: She looks the same, so she can't say that somebody. And I wasn't doing anything that I don't do on the Real Housewives of Potomac.
Speaker 5: There we go. That's about that. Okay, okay, We're.
Speaker 8: Very excited about Damar Hamlin. Yes he is now reinstated.
Speaker 6: It's even Damar Hamlin has been clear to play football again, to start working out and that is such a blessing that he has come through that. But I know there are people who feel there are contradicting like feelings about it. Some people are excited for him, but some people just think he should not be long.
Speaker 5: She should not be on the football field again. Oh I didn't know that. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Oh so some some of you guys feel that he shouldn't play ever again because he might get hurt.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think they think he went through a very traumatic experience and you know, like who knows if his body is ready to on that physicality of the game of football, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: He's medically cleared, which we know will will be okay, which which is fine. Did they find the root cause of what of what happened to me question in the first place? But someone like Damar Hamlin is probably feeling like he's too young yet to sit on the sideline, so he's gonna take the risk to do something where he's worked years and years to get to that point to be on the NFL field.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I know the incident was like a fluke incident. They say it was like the hit hit his chest at the same time of like a certain I don't.
Speaker 5: Know cardiac rhythmic whatever.
Speaker 6: I don't know the terminology, but it was like a very small chance that would happen to me it was your son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ladies, man, if it was your son, yes, would you want him to play again?
Speaker 8: And Robin has two sons that are a football playing age.
Speaker 5: How do you feel? So?
Speaker 6: I know an athlete like are hamling, he this is what he loves, this is what he knows, this is his life, and so to take that game away from him like that is probably more damaging to his mental health than to his physical health.
Speaker 5: And so for me, if that's something that he knows and loves, that's.
Speaker 6: What he eats and breeds and lives, and he's been medically clear to play, then I want him to do that as long as the doctors around him say that he can do it.
Speaker 5: Okay, And how does Wan feel about this? The same way? Okay? Yeah, yes, we love one. But we're really happy Jan Dixon is not here right now? Is that the same? It might be here, y'all, It might be here he flew down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we absolutely love one. Now, how many of y'all on the Twitter? Are y'all on Twitter? Of course?
Speaker 5: Now, y'all gonna pay for y'all blue check? Right, who paid for a blue paid for a blue check?
Speaker 6: It's only eleven dollars a month, y'all, you pay for yours?
Speaker 5: You did? She who else paid for a blue check? Okay?
Speaker 2: Now now, but I think the new verified is not to be verified. Everybody's gonna be a point those of us who were verified my blue check was taken away minus like, well all right, well right.
Speaker 6: Well, I just so I did a little research because I don't go on Twitter, but I went on Twitter and I saw that my blue check is gone. Yes, so I just deactivated my account.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't need it, but can I go on there?
Speaker 2: But can someone do a new account in your name and likeness?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 6: I mean, at this point, if you're gonna be paying for blue if people can pay for blue checks, they can do whatever.
Speaker 5: Well, so I deactivated my account.
Speaker 8: I did see that at first the blue check costs like one hundred and twenty two dollars a year, and then it went on sale because nobody's buying it.
Speaker 5: It's like a one hundred and fourteen one fourteen or that. Wait until it goes down to zero.
Speaker 6: So wait, I'm gonna tell you there was somebody did a little research on who from the real house as a Potomac has a blue check? Oh oh, who paid for that blue check? Y'all?
Speaker 5: Who do y'all think paid for that blue check? Can't? She said? Karen? Who? Karen? Who else? Candace? Who else? So I'm gonna tell you Mia and Karen have blue checks, y'all.
Speaker 6: They paid there one hundred and fourteen dollars to make sure that they were verified. So it's fourteen dollars a month, no, no, no, eleven dollars a month and one hundred and fourteen dollars a year. So you can either pay for the year or you can pay eleven dollars a month. I paid zero and I deactivated my account.
Speaker 5: And I'm waiting for it to go down to zero.
Speaker 6: Now, who is voting for Afroman in the next election?
Speaker 5: Do y'all know who Afroman is? Y'all?
Speaker 9: Do?
Speaker 5: Okay? Who? Business? And I got high vote Afroman? Okay? I need we need more information about Afroman.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 6: Afroman is running for president in the twenty twenty four election as an independent, and he has proclaimed himself to be the next cannabis Commander in chief.
Speaker 5: Can't.
Speaker 6: Yes, and the pothead of states. Yes, now, now for all of y'all. Clearly, his platform is about legalizing marijuana.
Speaker 5: Everywhere but already legal. So who is voting for Afroman just based on that?
Speaker 6: A larger it's okay? Okay, Afroman has some momentum. Okay, are you still recovering from dogs?
Speaker 5: Is running me? She's still she's celebrating for twenty she's.
Speaker 2: Still recovering from four twenty.
Speaker 5: Every day is four twenty. Every days every day is four twenty? Do y'all agree with that? Ask? I think that I think we should give Afroman a shot.
Speaker 6: We shall allow him to to go and do all the debates, campaign and listen and see if he talks about anything other than we.
Speaker 5: But what all right, but what does a.
Speaker 6: United States of America led by President Afroman look like?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 8: We don't know, Robin, nobody will be able to see we'll all being a poll.
Speaker 5: No, we do know.
Speaker 6: Everybody be calm, everyone's going to relax.
Speaker 5: They won't had no information in.
Speaker 6: Their body, so everybody will removing inflammation. Okay, Yes, are we going to get anything done like what happens when Russia comes to bomb us?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 7: Are we going to be ready or are we going to be a little delayed?
Speaker 5: What what are we going to do? I don't know.
Speaker 6: Okay, So if you're not interested in voting for Afroman, you can also vote for Robert F.
Speaker 5: Kennedy Junior. He's running as well. So we got option y'all.
Speaker 6: Now, I know, Michelle, you had a hot topic about Oh my gosh, it was so much going on. She's she's a dear heart to me, Chloe Bailey, Chloe.
Speaker 2: She's gonna be a concert like literally tomorrow here in Atlanta, And there was so much talk about everybody was mad or there was rumblings about people mad at Beyonce for not supporting Chloe's album, and so it's kind of too sortid here because Beyonce promoted it. Everybody would be like, that's unfair.
Speaker 5: You got her.
Speaker 7: Promoting, and then you feel like she didn't do enough.
Speaker 2: She's on her label, that's enough promotion, that is enough support. So Chloe's been doing her thing, she's been doing her thing and every and as she said, she said, you know, people know her music.
Speaker 5: She's on a sold out tour.
Speaker 2: So I just had to throw that out there, like why was that such a big deal about who's who was supporting who?
Speaker 7: I think it was just because it was beyond of.
Speaker 5: Course, y'all gonna leave beyon alone, leave her alone. Let's see. I got aase.
Speaker 6: I gotta play the devil's advocate though, Oh, Robin, I mean why why.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't she support her? Oh she didn't? Who said she didn't support? Well? Right, so I did she do? We know who.
Speaker 7: Said she did not support?
Speaker 2: She's very she's very involved in helping people creatively. Now Chloe can write, she makes her own, beats herself. Now did she help like kind of maybe finess some things visually? Absolutely? But does she need to be on her Instagram?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, because y'all would have had something. Not y'all because we're family, We cousins are the folks that ain't related to us in this room would have had something to say because they didn't do it in here, y'all wasn't part of that.
Speaker 5: Part of me feel like.
Speaker 8: If she did continuously support and support and support, people will then say Chloe is not where she is on her own, and it would be all because Beyonce is supporting and Beyonce is pushing. No, Chloe is where she is on her own, and we have to support that. And beyond, Beyonce is busy. She's raising her kids, she's working on a world tour.
Speaker 5: She is busy.
Speaker 6: Okay, So why didn't y'all support Why didn't y'all Why didn't y'all support the album.
Speaker 5: She got?
Speaker 7: She said she watched the movie.
Speaker 2: She does have a sold out tour, and I think sometimes sometimes seeing stuff live in person helps a person.
Speaker 7: Say, I gotta cop that album.
Speaker 2: So you're obviously a fan of hers if her tour is sold out, her very first one is sold out. Boom saying you make more money on tours and merch than album sales.
Speaker 5: Anyway, listen to that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the feed the album and I guess we just didn't really know about it, and.
Speaker 5: It just fine. She's gonna be just fine.
Speaker 2: Every artist doesn't go platinum their first album out.
Speaker 5: She's gonna be just right right. And as I think about it, Beyonce doesn't.
Speaker 6: She doesn't promote anybody else on her on her platforms, you know what I mean, Most of her pages just her beautiful, artistic looking fashion pictures, and so it would be out of her. It wouldn't be something that she ordinarily does, and so I think for her it's probably all or nothing.
Speaker 5: It's probably like, I'm not going to promote.
Speaker 6: Anything so that individuals can't be upset that I didn't. Yes, you know, it's not like she promoted.
Speaker 2: Individually and solo wise, Destiny's Child put in the work. There was no there was nobody really endorsing and putting us on. Destiny's Child worked for everything, which I think equates to the to the longevity of the group and us being able to me being able to be up here solo wise with y'all so hard work does that? Yes's gonna She's gonna be foul. She's keeps us here absolutely all right, we.
Speaker 6: Gotta be to our next segment, Is it reasonable or is it shade? If anybody out here has a reasonably shady situation that they want to discuss, start thinking about it, and if we have time, we'll do it right. But first, so, if there's something you want us to weigh in on, like say you have an argument between you and your mom or your you know, your neighbors or something, and you want to get our opinions, think about it and raise your hand when we give you the opportunity to raise your hand. So this is Asia. Asia is a faithful Hey girl, she's faithful reasonably shakester.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, Asia. Where are you from? Asia? So? Asia lives in Connecticut.
Speaker 6: She came to our live show in New York and she triedls to Atlanta to be here for us.
Speaker 5: So she is, y'all live it up for Asia. We appreciate her so much.
Speaker 6: She and she's been a faithful listener and supporter of the podcast. So Aga has a reasonable or is this reasonable or shady scenario to ask us?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and y'all got away in So y'all listen. Okay, Okay.
Speaker 6: So I was in a breakroom and my coworker she was like complaining.
Speaker 5: She's like, I have kids, eggs are expensive. So I'm I'm agreeing with her. I'm like, yeah, it is.
Speaker 6: You know, gas is out of control, rents out of control. She turns to me and goes, you don't have any kids and you still live at home, so what are you complaining about. I'm like, I have a cardinal, I have car insurance. Everything else.
Speaker 5: Being a girl is just expensive. So is that reasonable or is it shady? Okay? So did y'all hear what she said.
Speaker 8: She's saying she was talking to her girlfriend no co world over, talking to her ride worker, and she was talking about how expensive things are out here in these streets.
Speaker 5: And her coworker was like, but you live with y'all, mama.
Speaker 6: You don't have kids, and you don't have no kids, and well, she said, and that was it. And is that reasonable or is that shady? So if you all right, raise your hand if you think that's a reasonable statement for her to.
Speaker 2: Make, because she feels like you got extra money laying around because you don't have hands, so she ain't a pocket book.
Speaker 6: Now raise your hand if that's a shady statement for her coworking.
Speaker 5: Okay, that is yes, so all the way live shady.
Speaker 6: I agree, right, that is all the way shady, because nobody should be counting anybody's coins, their coins, their bills, their scenario.
Speaker 5: They don't know.
Speaker 6: Asia could be trying to save up for a house, she could be she could be planning for children, and so she's feeling the same effects that we're all a feeling feeling in relation to how expected.
Speaker 2: Or saving up. Because Netflix keep going up, everybody keep going up in their prices, so you keep your coins.
Speaker 6: Yes, right, So don't let her make you feel like don't let her minimize your issues or what you're going through. Because you don't have children, because you live at home with yourself.
Speaker 5: You know everything that you go through matters.
Speaker 6: And just because it may not seem as big to somebody else, that doesn't mean it doesn't matter to you. Right, thank you, lady teacher.
Speaker 5: Y'all giving up?
Speaker 2: She drove all the way from Canada with.
Speaker 5: Her fresh silk price.
Speaker 6: Come on you too, all the way from Connecticut. I mean her silk press is just bouncing. Okay, wait, y'all some raise y'all hands. If you came from another state, if you don't live here, wow, my.
Speaker 8: Gosh, if you came from out the country.
Speaker 5: Who came fout the country? Who's I can't hear? From Canada? Wow, that's awesome. What country? Okay, you are a vacation from Turks of Cake Coast, don't count?
Speaker 6: Okay because you were from Atlanta. Oh you're a California, California, that's a that's amazing.
Speaker 5: Anybody from Chicago right quick?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 8: Yeah, anybody from Maryland from where me and Robin are from Maryland.
Speaker 5: Marylyn's house in the house. Okay, be more super spring. Yes, Arkansas wants some love. Chack, give Arkansas some love? All right? All right, Michelle, you do you have any reasonably shared this question?
Speaker 2: A I can answer this too. Is it reasonable or shady? If you brought a bottle to an event to take it.
Speaker 5: Back at the end of the event if it wasn't open? Okay? Who says this reason? Or is reasonable?
Speaker 10: Rage?
Speaker 5: Adams? Reasonable? Okay? All right? Hold on, y'all, hold on, raise your hand in it? Shady? Rick? Wait? Who wait? I didn't see all right, So this is like it's fifty to fifty. Who says reasonable? Who? Okay? It depends. Let me tell you who? Can I tell you why it depends. There's a whole lot of things that it depends on. Who has done this before. Let me tell you why it depends.
Speaker 2: If it was a potluck and everybody brings their own stuff and then and then you take it back.
Speaker 5: But if I got a nice dinner that.
Speaker 2: I prepared for you, and the ship prepared for you, and you didn't pay for nothing, and I invite you away, you bring a bottle.
Speaker 5: It belongs to me? Okay, you got that right? Yes? Okay, I also think it.
Speaker 6: Depends on is it an expensive bottle of champagne or did you get it from the five and dime? Like what shelf is this bottle bro So it depends. It depends.
Speaker 2: There are certain red ones that I like from publics that are really, really, really good, right, and then there are some that should come from publics that are more expensive.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 6: Yes, So I actually was faced with this dilemma one day. My girlfriends and I was probably about eight of us. We had a dinner party at my girlfriend's house, and I can remember correctly, we all like chipped in for the dinner, but the girlfriend that was hosting it told everyone to bring a bottle.
Speaker 5: So I brought a bottle of Tito's.
Speaker 6: I brought a large bottle of Tito's vacuum during the pandemic, And y'all know how expensive liquor was during the pandemic. So we go there and there was already a bottle on Tito's that was opened, so we were we were drinking on that Tito's bottle.
Speaker 5: Okay, so wait a minute, So at the end.
Speaker 6: Of the night, at the end of the night, my bottle was unopened, and and as I was about to leave. As I was about to leave, I'm like walking towards the bottle to grab it to take it home. And my girlfriend was like, oh, girl, thanks for the bottle. I love Tito's. It's my favorite. And I was like, oh, you welcome, and I and I left and I went home. So just to give y'all, I wanted my bottle back, but I was just like, okay, so she was, But that was nice of you rapping for it, but she should have given it back to me.
Speaker 5: No, Robin, you brought it to her house.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 6: I think if that was me, if it was my house and everyone chipped in and her and the bottle was unopened, I would be like, oh girl, we don't open your bottle. You want to take it back. I think it depends on how No, it depends on how close you are with the person. Like, if it's my sister, I'm taking a bottle back. If it's people I don't really know that, well, I'm gonna let it. I'm gonna let you have it. Your bottle expensive. This is real quick, it's real quick. This is a little see.
Speaker 8: So you know how if you watch housewives, any housewives, if you watch our show in particular when we go to each other's house, typically we bring a bottle of something. Karen always says, give me my bottle back after we're done filming.
Speaker 5: She's done that to me three times. She's like, give me my bottle back. So we do. It's a joke. It's a running joke.
Speaker 6: But anyways, like recycling bottles, it's like she brings it to one.
Speaker 5: Event and she I mean, we don't want to belabor the topic.
Speaker 2: But if you invite me to your home for a nice dinner and all I have to do is show up, the nice thing to do is you bring a bottle, so you present it as a gift. I don't want it back, Like I said, if it was like a pot look situation, you know how you take a little three bean potato salad back home that you made, and you take you a little RC or seven up bottle that you brought, you take your bottle back. If it was a pot look life situation. All right, we got we gotta move on.
Speaker 8: But it is now time for you guys to ask us any.
Speaker 5: And whoever is asking us something, you're gonna keep it. PG. Thirteen.
Speaker 6: Tell us your names, tell us your name, where you're from.
Speaker 5: Hey, y'all, my name is Denise. I'm from Charlotte, North Carolina. Oh hear me.
Speaker 10: Hey y'all, I have a quick question for jaseell So, I just finished the Ultimate Girls Trip. What was your reaction after you found out what really happened to your bottle?
Speaker 5: I'm so happy you're asking me that question.
Speaker 8: Oka, I'm gonna get for those of y'all who don't know what she's talking about. I was on a show called Ultimate Girls Trip. It was a bunch of different housewives, some different shows. It's on Peacock and I had a fit because someone took my bottle of tequila. Okay, so and all of y'all have DM me your bottle and to say that y'all found it, which is so hilarious. At the end, the producers the Salt Lake City Girls were joking that the bottle was in the show the outside shower.
Speaker 5: That was a joke. The Salt Lake Girls don't have it. Leah from New York had a bottle.
Speaker 8: That she brought in her confessional and she was like, oh, I got yourselves bottle.
Speaker 5: She's joking too.
Speaker 8: The truth is, we have no idea what a bottle is, but I know who has the bottle. Okay, I know who took the bottle, But the truth is, we don't know.
Speaker 5: Does the does the name? Does the name start with a C?
Speaker 6: It starts with a C? Okay, and it ends with the asks no it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: All right, what's the next question? Guys?
Speaker 11: Hey, y'all, I'm Toya from Little Rock, Arkansas.
Speaker 5: In the building. I have a.
Speaker 11: Podcast called The spiel Podcast. It's amazing.
Speaker 5: Mike question. Hey, sourr Joseah, excuse me.
Speaker 11: My question is for the beautiful Michelle Williams. I absolutely love your podcast. I have a segment on Mike pie Cast called Mental Chicken to where my spillers, my peers, whom ever is on my show have to do a mental check in. When you are doing that or just coming up with your podcast? Was it hard to be extremely vulnerable? I did counseling, I did therapy, and it's.
Speaker 6: Something that I feel like everybody should, of course look into. But when you start your podcast to you know, just focus on that.
Speaker 5: Was it challenging because.
Speaker 6: I'm like shy, but I'm talkative, but I don't like being vulnerable. But I'm super vulnerable and sometimes to a fall so how do you handle the ups and down the back?
Speaker 2: Thank you for asking and congratulations on your podcast. Amazing. So I've learned on my mental health journey. We all have mental health, but everybody does.
Speaker 7: Not have mental illness. So let's know the two.
Speaker 2: Mental health is like your cardiovascular health reproductive health.
Speaker 7: We all have that right.
Speaker 2: So what I learned on my journy and is there is a difference. I think I spoke to y'all about the difference between being transparent and being vulnerable.
Speaker 5: I'm an open book.
Speaker 2: I can be transparent, but vulnerable is when you in that transparent moment is when you say how something feels, how it made you feel, and you allow yourself.
Speaker 5: In that moment.
Speaker 2: If you're still angry or sad about that moment, you acknowledge it and you literally feel your feelings. So when I talked about like one time my father passing away, or a moment where something happened, I believe it was something maybe with police brutality. I allowed myself to cry on the podcast or to get choked up. That's me being vulnerable than me just reading off my personal moment that I had this week. I think we all can be open books. But it's hard to be vulnerable and cry about something or be like, bro, it hurt my feelings when you said this or when you talk to me this way.
Speaker 7: This is how it makes me feel.
Speaker 2: That's being vulnerable all right, then being just then instead of being just a transparent hot head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that. I love like giving its a title.
Speaker 8: You hurt my feelings when you did X, as opposed to just yelling at the person you do or responding to the person.
Speaker 5: I like that, Michelle, gonna use that well well.
Speaker 2: When a person is yelling that anger is a secondary emotion. So let's unpack that. I'm angry because I'm angry because I feel overlooked. I'm angry because I feel like you ignored me when I told you. I don't like when you do this, so if I got to tell you again, I might blow up.
Speaker 5: Anger is what's come second.
Speaker 2: Being feeling left out, feeling talked about, feeling betrayed, feeling abandoned.
Speaker 5: That's the first emotion.
Speaker 2: But when it festers, when it seems unseen or unheard, that's when anger comes in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 6: And that's also that's also communication, you know, using your communication skills it's hard to communicate those feelings sometimes.
Speaker 2: Why is it so hard to communicate being vulnerable? But we can communicate the anger, right, that's true.
Speaker 5: We all working on that. We work in progress. Yes, indeed, I know I am all right. We got another question minutes, y'all.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 5: My name is Leah.
Speaker 6: I live in Orlando. I have a podcast called Adoptees Crossing Lines. I'm a black adoptee and I host it with two other black adoptees and we're pretty vulnerable on our show. My question is for you, Michelle. I'm wondering how you take care of yourself when you're, you know, talking about all these different things constantly and just sharing your life, sharing your story. How do you take care of yourself afterwards or in between shows, in.
Speaker 7: Between shows, depending on the topic.
Speaker 2: If it's something I know I've already walked through and I've healed from, I can.
Speaker 5: Go eat a bag of chips afterwards.
Speaker 2: But when it's something that seems still a little for there are little things that can calm the nervous system down. You gotta take a walk, go let some water, sit in the pool if you can.
Speaker 5: But just taking a.
Speaker 2: Walk and getting away and separating yourself from the situation or the topic is really the best thing. Because us when we host podcasts, we have to research some heavy, heavy stuff or you could be walking through something heavy, but you still.
Speaker 7: Got to host a guest and beat upbeat.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I also say take a drive. When we do reasonably shady, I do it at Robin's. We do it at Robin's house, and I have to drive. Maybe it's about thirty five minutes away, So that drive home, I like decompress and get my mind right because when I hit the door with my kids, I gotta be I gotta be ready for that, right for sure.
Speaker 5: Okay, we have time for questions. Let's be learning question y'all. God bless you. Oh yes, it's God.
Speaker 9: I just want to say, each one of you ladies look like full rid scholarships to Ivy League.
Speaker 5: HBCUs give these.
Speaker 9: Ladies around of applause but looking so goddamn good. Thank you, And to end the questions, I just want to know, is it reasonable or shady?
Speaker 5: It's Sunday, right.
Speaker 9: It's Saturday, So I just want to know, Michelle, when Jesus say what, I just want how to sing the reply When Jesus say what.
Speaker 5: Nobody can't say what I mean? They paid me the top. Come on, but it's Michelle. What okay? Give my question?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, when Jesus say yes, nobody can say no.
Speaker 6: When Jesus nobody no.
Speaker 10: All right, bye, love you.
Speaker 8: I want to try to ask nobody can say no. Just say nobody can say no.
Speaker 2: Jiselle will be leading praise and worship at new Birth tomorrow morning.
Speaker 5: Ain't give it up for the right. Reverend Jamal Brain is in the belt. Are y'all?
Speaker 8: Thank you so much for having us. Thank y'all for being a part of our show. It is reasonably shady.
Speaker 5: Check it out. Now, did y'all learn anything?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I guess y'all learned that I taught Jsell how to twerk. Don't ask me how, why, when, or where. That's why you gotta be careful about things that you do, because you might not remember it, but years down the line, there's always going to be somebody that reminds.
Speaker 5: You of something you did, even though you threw it into the sea of forgetfulness. I forgot that.
Speaker 2: So the lesson is, I guess, be careful what you do, or just evolve to the point where if somebody does try to bring something up that you did or said ten years ago, and you don't even care no more.
Speaker 5: All Right, okay, love y'all.
Speaker 1: Checking In with Michelle Williams is a production of iHeartRadio and The Black Effect. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.