Speaker 1: We've seen this before thirteenth camp with Andy Reid as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. A strong push, bit of a back off off day push in pads, same sequence about three different times during training camp here in Saint Joseph. This defending the Kingdom is entitled the First Push, and it's brought to you by not only taking Master, but by the awesome folks at Mosaic. You are the official training camp partner of the Kansas City Chiefs here in Saint Joseph and the official healthcare provider of the Kansas City Chiefs great in the four state area that Mosaic serves in their part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network. Let's teach it on an RPO at the five.
Speaker 2: It's a lead block. He goes into the ends on this side. Touch down, Jansas City.
Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, Welcome to the campus here at Missouri Western State University. I'm Micholda's Voice of the Chiefs along with senior team reporter Matt McMullen. The First Push and man, oh man, is it a push. We're going to start by giving you an injury update. We just did a live stream not long ago in the span of just several minutes, the injury list grew to double digits. Yeah, and so we're going to jump into that. But the big push is this heat humanity, third straight day in pads. We've seen coach do it before. He stays within the rules of the NFLPA and the Collective Bargain Agreement. He does not violate those rules, but he does take them to the max. If you like your Chiefs team winning in September, and you like your Chiefs team winning in December and winning in January and maybe in February three times, then know that the start of that is here in a day like today. This was a tough day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was day seven of camp, but the third day in a row of pads and today really the ramp up completed. So this was a two hour and twenty five minute practice. This was the longest practice of training camp. Really, everything during the off season trending program was about building toward today. And of course it was eighty five degrees, eighty percent humidity all morning long, not a cloud in the sky. I mean, it was brutal out here. And I'll run through the injuries. It's one of those things where you might like see this online. I wouldn't worry too much about it because I mean, these are soft tissue things.
Speaker 2: This is being really hot.
Speaker 3: But Christian Fulton stalls knee injury, Darius Rush missed a second day in a row with a hamstring, Eric Scott wasn't out here with a hamstring injury, Dean Bush hamstring injury, Jeffrey bassa ankle injury, and Jake brinningstool with a hamstring injury, did not practice, and then Hollywood Brown left with an ankle injury, Xavier Worthy banged his head, left early. Rookie linebacker Cooper McDonald left with an illness, and then Sky Moore left with a hamstring. So a lot of injuries today, But it's kind of what happens during this time of year where you're pushing trying to get fully enamored into football shape and the reality is you might get a little banged up along the way.
Speaker 1: You around baseball. You were at the Arizona Diamondbacks, we talked about the Kaiser Volcanoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you ever?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's a rule you don't talk about a no header because you go in the eighth inning. I don't think we give up a hit yet, and then it's a home run, home run, and then a crooked number. Blame me. Right before practice, Austin wordered, who was here? I go, you know what we have because I'm looking every camp, every day. I go, we have not had the soft tissue injuries other teams are having.
Speaker 2: Yeah, today we did. Today we did.
Speaker 3: And again, here's the important thing is, I don't think any of these are like serious, like major things. It's just it happens. I mean again, third day in pads in a row. Keep in mind, the guys had not been in pads all off season since the Super Bowl ended until three days ago, and then they did it three days in a row with increasingly longer practices and of course a brutally hot day today. So it's gonna happen. But the reality is it's what makes us team better in the long run. Coache didn't take it easy on them today. I mean, they did nine on seven run drills, they did one on one pass protection drills. They did a long drive drill period at the very end, as if everything else wasn't enough. But that's why coach Read is the greatest. He knows how to get the absolute best out of everybody. And I am certain that like in November or December after a tough win, Mahomes Kelsey or Worthy or somebody will say, you know, honestly, it's those days in Saint Joe where it's a million degrees and we're doing long drive drill in our third hour of practice that got us ready for this, and in.
Speaker 1: Essence, the special category was like a second long drive drill.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, I saw Patrick just moments ago and I go two long drive drills and he's pouring water on his head. They're like, yeah, that's all he said.
Speaker 2: Now, it's all he needs to say. You've heard us talk about this.
Speaker 1: But the first year or second year of coach he goes, he goes, ask me, goes you ever heard of the farklic method of training. It's like an eighteenth century military training that our allies use it, some of our military uses it. But it's you can look it up. Okay, go to web browser and find it today. Just a minute ago, I go far a click method. He just growled at me and goes yeah and just growled away like nobody's in a good mood here. That's part of this. But this was a grind. This is the first big push. This isn't the last, but it's the first big one. And you go, well, wait a minute, upper eighties isn't that. But when you take heat and humidity together and you push it, and so it's all these guys want. I just saw Kelsey's trying to get his breath. Every one of these guys are feeling this and so but it's by design and trying to build a team mentally, physically and emotionally tough.
Speaker 3: And here's the exciting new is we have some seventy degree days on the horizon. Later this week it's going to be like seventy degrees because the cool front and some rain are going to come through.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna make the guys better, you know.
Speaker 3: Big good thing is, despite how difficult it was and some of the injuries, we didn't see guys dogging it during practice. We saw some really big plays, some good work getting in there today, and we can run through some guys at some point that I have been standing out to us. But Coachrie talked about this a few days ago because obviously we all knew this kind of thing was going to happen. He was like, I want to see the players how they respond to days like this when you know you have an hour left in a.
Speaker 2: Third padded day in a row. How do you respond?
Speaker 3: And he was joking around that some of the guys are going to start kind of talking to themselves, you know, trying to.
Speaker 2: Force their way through it.
Speaker 3: But particularly for players that are fighting for roster spots on this team, like those depth guys, like who's going to be your sixth or seventh receiver, who's going to be your fourth running back?
Speaker 2: Stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Who are the guys that impressed on days like this who didn't hang their head and say, oh man, it's too hot, Like I don't want to be out here. I never did this in college, or I didn't do this at the previous spot I was in in the NFL. Well, there's a reason the Chiefs are so successful and it's not fun. But one of the reasons that we're going to all these super Bowls is days like this.
Speaker 1: No question, Now it's been hot for us too, that's okay. It does not stop us from going around the world.
Speaker 2: Now we're glistening in the sun, We're still going to go around the world.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I have this on a piece of white paper that's like reflecting back at me.
Speaker 2: Let's see if I can read this. This is also my handwriting.
Speaker 3: Okay, heard from Blake in Wellington, Colorado, just north of Fort Collins.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Before that he lived in Victoria, Kansas, outside of Hayes.
Speaker 1: The Knights, the Knights, the Knights, Victorian Knights. All right, I love great tradition, remember Moni Bisele? Yeah, play sure the Chiefs h Victorian Knights.
Speaker 2: Really yep. Okay, small world.
Speaker 3: So obviously Hayes as kind of Broncos country as it is, but Wellington, Colorado certainly is.
Speaker 2: He's going to the game. In Denver, we.
Speaker 1: Are it used to be like every other street. No, no, we're It's contrived and working. We've got about three to one right now.
Speaker 2: In Hayes.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 3: When I was a kid, we were doing like a trip out west and we drove through Hayes and there was a big billboard, the orange billboard that said this is Broncos Country, and it made me so mad. I still think about it to this day. That was like twenty years ago. Anyway, he'll be at the today, He'll be at the game, and in Denver later this year and we'll probably be repping the Kingdom, So good for you, Blake. I met Francis at the Zoo not too long ago. So those that listen often know my wife works at the zoo and they had an event a few weeks ago called Christmas in July.
Speaker 2: I was texting you about this. It rained the entire time.
Speaker 3: But you know, when you go to a place like the Zoo, it's kind of like when you go to a Chiefs game. It doesn't matter what the weather is. You were going to have fun. So we were at the zoo, lots of people are there and it was pouring rain and everyone was still having fun hanging out of the zoo and I met Francis there, so shout out to you, Francis. We got a listener in Tyler, Texas. Think thank you Tyler, Texas. We appreciate you. Patrick Mahomes, thank you. Trish Is in Sydney, Australia. Done under want to go to Sydney. We have a listener in Derby, Kansas Panthers. Okay, Derby Panthers.
Speaker 1: They've had tons of players come out of their NFL players. I got Leon Edwards, now one of the top running backs in the country.
Speaker 2: That's a great program. Okay, and lastly, this is a cool one.
Speaker 3: So you know, usually I just look at the YouTube comments or people email me or tweet at me or something to get the around the world. I heard from Neil via LinkedIn, and I should check my LinkedIn more often. But this is one that you'll do. You want to hire you well, So Neil, I couldn't do this, trust me. Neil is in Maryland. He works at the Marine Corps Cyberspace Command. Love the Yeah and listens to DTK. So Neil, first of all, thank you for all you do for our country, but also thank you for listening to DTK and for wrapping the chiefs out in Maryland.
Speaker 1: Simperfy, Neil, simprifi. I got a couple, yep, all right at camp. It's always interesting these people that come up, right. We just had a guy from Virginia Beach, Virginia walk up and I always ask where they're from. But Abby, she's a middle schooler from Saint Simon's Island.
Speaker 2: St. Simon's Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's kind of in the Charleston Savannahs and the Atlantic coast.
Speaker 2: Oh she had your heart right away.
Speaker 1: Oh, right away, I tell you and we were just there.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: But she's from Saint Simon's Island and her dad and brother are Steelers fans, but her and her mom are huge Chiefs Kingdom fans. They defend the Kingdom to it, even offshore on the Atlantic Sea board. So a shout out to Abby, a sixth grader, I believe St. Simon's Island. Here's another one. This is a fun one. You like this Dublin, Ireland, you've been there, love Dublin, Dublin. There is the you know how big Charlie's in Philly, So Philly's the chiefs like hangout. There is one in Dublin Island, Ireland, and I want to get this right. It's called the Bridge.
Speaker 2: Wish I knew this when I was there.
Speaker 1: I should have told you the Bridge. It's right by the American Embassy. The dude that runs it is named Tony McCabe. It is the biggest Chiefs Kingdom hangout on the isles, and it's just a place where they all congregate and go crazy, and it's a chief's stronghold. So a shout out to Tony. Now here's why this is big. We have a lot of Chief Kingdom fans that are Iowa State fans. We know we got a lot of Chief Kingdom fans that are KSE State fans. The Week zero game in Dublin, Ireland is Ky State against Iowa State. All of you fans need to know there is a Chief Kingdom hangout in Dublin, Ireland. Now what's interesting, Tony ready, because the way that the Irwegians and the case Staters drink beer, Yeah, they might clean him out.
Speaker 2: Now it's well, it's the end of all places. So I think they'll be prepared.
Speaker 1: Right, it's Guinness, So they're gonna be like laid out like they want to make the game. But it's called the Bridge, and it's one of the greatest Chiefs hangouts outside the States, and it's right there in Dublin Island. So when you know Eli, go back, you got to go see this guy, Okay, Tony, so anyway around the world.
Speaker 3: And also we saw Chris up here just now. So Chris had written and into DTK a couple of years ago. I think I can't remember when it was, but a while ago. Originally from you caught this whereas Talgonoxy from talking Ooxy, the chieftain moved to Poland. For a while, was in Poland and having to watch all these Chiefs primetime games in the middle of the night. But he just moved back to this area. He had mentioned I think I talked about on DTK that he told me via YouTube he was going to be moving back here, and he shouted me out and said, hey, I'm back. So now he's in the Kansas City area and was that practice here today, So shout out to you, Chris.
Speaker 2: He said, Monday too.
Speaker 1: Games are rough, I can imagine in Poland. Yeah, it's also home of the Roslov Panthers. Right, we covered those guys. But who's impressed you in camp so far?
Speaker 2: Your thoughts?
Speaker 1: And again a grueling day to day. This is the first big push, the third day of impads and high heat and high humidity. It's been rough. Those guys are hurting right now and trying to get recovery. Tomorrow be an easier day. But who's impressed you so far?
Speaker 3: Should we go like back and forth or shul I list off? Some guys go back and Forth's go back and forth? Okay, well I'll go with the obvious one. Josh Simmons has looked the part so far. That's the question I think we all had going into this camp. Could Josh Simmons a be ready for camp with his injury rehab? And once he put the pads on, how could he handle himself? And the first question was answered immediately. He hasn't missed any practice. He's been out here as a full go. So during the draft process, you and I kind of wondered about that, like would this be a red shirt year for him?
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even a red shirt camp for him, didn't begin on pup or anything. He's been completely healthy, ready to go. The second part of it is he has looked the part in pats. He's been physical and strong. Obviously plenty to work on, but I think through three padded practices, Josh Simmons is off to an awesome start.
Speaker 1: Excellent point. He threw Ashton Jelata yesterday like a rag.
Speaker 2: Doll, and Ashton's a lot. He's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yes, he is old l and today he got it mixed into it with Mike Danis. So we're seeing a little bit of an edge to him, which isn't bad. No, it's good mine. So to start is Leo Chanel on the defensive side. Oh my gosh, he's my defensive MP, even VP of this camp, and I saw at this spring sought in mini camp. He's going to continue on. Yes the Chiefs have got to find ways to get Leo Chanell on the field. He sets the edge, he's a really good pass rusher, and he's great in coverage. We saw a very athletic interception yesterday. But here's something that I don't think I've ever seen, or I've very very rarely seen. We talk about old l and that's what you want to watch at camp. The one on ones. Leo was in there as a D lineman inside outside, going against the offensive line one on one.
Speaker 2: It's wrestling.
Speaker 1: Basically, he goes, he goes, he goes, he goes, runs over and does seven on seven as a coverage guy. Mental toughness, physical toughness, emotional toughness. To me, Leo Chanel is rising and will help this team beyond just blocking field goals in Pats and Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: He's come such a long way. I mean, look back at his rookie year. He was kind of a sub packaged guy. He was the guy that you won in there against the run or if you're gonna blitz him off the edge. He can do just about everything. Now, he's looked really good in coverage through this camp. Mentioned that interception that he had he was over the middle, deflected it, stuck with it in the air, and made a diving interception on the play the whole thing himself. I mean, it was phenomenal. So I'm with you about Leo. How about Taekwon Thornton. So this is a player that really has been flashing the entire offseason. And again the question for him was can he keep it going into camp with pads on because this is a player that had a big time pedigree coming out of school A Baylor I believe ran a four to two eight at the combine, among the fastest forty times ever, so he has blazing speed. It was a second und pay the Patriots. It didn't really work out there, but that was a bad situation in New England. Well, now he's here and really consistently every day he's made at least one play where it's like, man, he's really making a push. So Taekwon Thornton has to keep it going, has to impress during the preseason. But if you're looking at who could that that sixth or seventh receiver be, Taekwon Thornton certainly has a great shot.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you who the fifth receiver could be. And he's had an outstanding camp so far. He was great starting out, then he kind of slowed down in OTA's but so far in this camp and I don't want to get ahead of myself and don't get ahead of yourself, Chiefs Kingdom. But Jalen Royals has been really good in this camp. Basically what he's done and what he is that we saw him with two red zone catches today for touchdowns, but his blitz recognition, the fact that he's absorbing everything I asked Pat about him, and Pat's working with him, but he wants to learn. There's some instinct with Jalen Royals. There's toughness with Jalen Royals. He kept fighting through this practice today and if you get a hot blitz, read guy that understands where to go when past's getting blitzed and it becomes a big deal. So far, Jalen Royals, there's enough encouragement there to be excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mentioned on our live stream a little bit ago that Steve Smith was here, the former superstar receiver for the Panthers. And when he was here, I was chatting with him about the receiver crew. He didn't want to talk about anybody else. He wanted to talk about Jayleen Royals. And if you have Steve Smith's attention, look, Steve Smith isn't messing around, you know, he's mister ice up. He doesn't want to talk about forty times and all that. He wants to talk about your toughness, your physicality, your ability to break tackles and make tough catches. And that's Jayalen Royals at least so far. So we'll see if he can keep that going.
Speaker 1: Just don't bet your mortgage in their fantasy football draft or taken Royals number one. Okay, let's just you've been a Chiefs fan long enough to know, don't take any Chiefs receivers in your fantasy draft right away because it could be somebody different every week.
Speaker 2: Let's do one more. You go, one I go. He's part of the crew, right so he'll contribute, hopefully to this and.
Speaker 1: He may pop a one twenty some week.
Speaker 2: You might hopefully my last one.
Speaker 3: Robert Tanyan now Robert Tanyan is a familiar name for people that have been watching football a while. He was pretty productive for the Packers a handful of years ago. He had three years in a row with the Packers where he was averaging three four hundred, five hundred yards per season. So this is a player that's been around a little bit and contributed to a pretty good offense. Injuries and things just didn't work out toward the end of his tenure in Green Bay kind of bounced around a little bit, but he was solid during the offseason training program and it's kind of like Robertanian might have a shot. And really he's been one of my stars at this camp so far, just making big, physical catches, particularly in the red zone. You can tell he's been around a while. And this guy caught passes from Aaron Rodgers, so he knows what he's doing. So Robert Tanian I think has a great shot to make this team once again. Got to keep it going, but certainly be watching Robert tanium during the preseason.
Speaker 1: Not only make this team, to help this team and Matt. He's been consistent. Yeah, it's every day he's doing something. It's not a flash. And today he fought through all this. Again, he's a pro former Indiana State quarterback. Mine would be Charles Amena, who Charles Emena, who has had a really good story this camp. He was good today and the fact that not only his length, his awareness and intensity is good. If he stays healthy, and we've said this all throughout the spring of summer, but he's had a good start to this camp. If he stays healthy, to put him with Chris Jones and the rest of the guys in Carl loftus, you could have a better deferensive front than anybody in the NFL thinks the Chiefs have.
Speaker 3: There is no doubt that Charles has played a big role in getting us to Super Bowls each of the last two years, especially two years ago. I mean when he came back, he was awesome with like six or seven sacks and only a handful of games of course towards ACL in the AFC Championship game against the Ravens. But it's easy to forget that Charles during his time with the Chiefs has never had an opportunity to play in Week one. He was suspended the first six games of the year a couple of years ago and was recovering from the injury last year. So now finally he can come into training camp and get ready for the season and hopefully help this team in week one, and so far he's definitely taken advantage of that.
Speaker 1: Just know, this is by design the first push. This is where your veterans come in to play. I told you Kelsey's trying to get his breath, Pats. You know he's gonna They might have ivs going and these guys, but the veterans become key here. Chris Jones, Guys that have been around, Guys that have won Super Bowls, even the twenty two class, which is nine to one individually in their career. This is where then the conversation with the young guys, keep driving, keep pushing, because there's another push coming. Cultur will back off a bit tomorrow, there's an off day the next day. Then the next big push comes. Hang in there. But your veterans become as key as your coaches.
Speaker 3: Right now, I'll tell you what, right before we started doing this, practice has been over for a while. I saw Chris Jones over there on the sled. So Chris Jones, after a day like this where it was a two and a half hour practice, brutally hot, third day in a row in pads. Chris was like, I need a little bit more work. And if you are any really any player on this team, any young player, any veteran player, whatever. You see Chris Jones who's going to the Hall of Fame one day after a tough practice like this and you're huffing and puffing and he's doing the sled, It's like, you better be working too, So I'm with you one hundred percent. Coachrie can only do so much. It comes from the players as well, and the tone that they set, the culture they create, and the example they set. And when you've guys like Chris Jones doing the sled after practice, it fires me up.
Speaker 1: If you're Omar Norman Lock or Ashton Jelatti and you see that, you're going, okay, where's the sled?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: So know this the first push tough, But that's the way Andy Reid does things. Big shout out to the folks at Mosaic. They are official training camp partners of the Kansas City Chiefs. They are official health care provider of the Kansas City Chiefs. They're part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network and the four state region Southeast Nebraska, northeast Kansas, southwest Iowa, and northwest Missouri all benefit from the awesome people at Mosaic. For Matt McMullen, Yeah, we're headed to the cold tub ourselves. Mitchalt this voice to the Chiefs. We're going to give you live streams more DTK. Just hang with us. We'll try to bring you to camp every day that we're here, no matter the weather. Hm