Speaker 1: Have you been having a most marvelous may? Sure hope the answer is yes. It seemed pretty fleeting to me, blossoming one day and poof, like petals falling from a stem gone. The next spring will soon be in our rear view mirror. Kids are going to be out of school. I've got five minor children living at home now, three of my grandkids and two of my kids. And boy does the fun times begin when the school bell closes. Here's something else to look forward to besides some moares and campfires. More new music, fun music, feel good music, eighties tide music. And you know what they say about the eighties music, It sure gets the house clean faster when you're listening to that. Charles Kelly is most known for his vocals, his musicianship, and his genuine charisma as one third of the seven time Grammy Award winning group Lady A. Built around rich vocal harmonies, vivid emotional writing, and a smooth fusion of country rock and pop, Lady A has long been a model of mainstream success. As a country radio staple, the trio has amassed eleven number one hits and over nine billion digital streams. Charles has been a chart topping songwriter on his own, He's copen favorites for Luke, Brian, Miranda, Lambert, Brett Young and Moore. His twenty sixteen solo debut, The Driver, led to another Grammy nomination for the title track The Driver. Now, Charles finds himself stepping boldly into his second solo album, Songs for a New Moon, as he begins an age of fearless, fresh perspective both musically and in his life, embracing the lush, hyper saturated luxury of his beloved eighties pop Songs for a New Moon, out June twenty fifth, has a full on eighties sound without, as Charles calls it, any country insurance. It's feel good music for a time when we need feel good music. We need feel good everything. Dropping into chat with us today about his forthcoming solo album is Charles Kelly. We'll get right into it as soon as I've told you about one of my amazing podcast sponsors. Have you been looking for a milk replacement because you have dairy allergies or sensitivities, Well, I found one that's absolutely amazing. It's Sherry's hazel Cream made from Oregon hazelnuts. This plant based milk stands out from the competitors because it's designed and for cooking and baking. It all started because Sherry, who could no longer tolerate dairy products, wanted to make gravy, but not gravy that tasted like coconut or oatmeal. So by enlisting the help of her engineer husband and a friend that's a food scientist, and through much trial and error, Sherry's Hazel Cream was born. Because of a special roasting process. It's very neutral and taste and works with a large variety of recipes. It comes sealed in shelf stable, easy to use, pre measured portion pods that you place into your blender, add varying amounts of water to make milk cream or even condensed milk for pies and other mouth watering desserts. It's delicious and mashed potatoes and cakes, in creamy soups and even casserole dishes. Visit Sherryshazelcream dot com to learn more about this product, to read Sherry's story, and to place your order. It's at Sherry'shazelcream dot com. C h E ri s Hazelcream dot com. Use code love twenty four for ten percent off your order that Sherry's Hazel Cream and Love twenty four. All right, let's jump into this. I'm gonna say hello to Charles Kelly, who is known as a third of Lady A. But now for the second time, you've got a solo project. We're going to talk about, and I want to talk about the music because it's I hear got this great eighties vibe which is almost as good almost as the seventies. But eighties are my second that's my second favorite era of music. Not the shoulder pads. It was the shoulder pads when I was, you know, young in the eighties and really really skinny. The shoulder pads were rocking. Now Charles, I just look like a linebacker.
Speaker 2: It's all coming back though, if you noticed, especially like you know, I'm watching all the men's cloth clothing now it's like the tight the tight fit is out and it's all about kind of a you know, baggy or kind of flowy.
Speaker 1: When they bring back the parachute pants, they're coming, they're coming, and the and the multi colored jogger suits out of that, yeah, look like tent material, Like you could go camping in your jogging trousers. So tell us, uh, tell us about the music, and then I want to talk about you, Charles Kelly and the new outlook you have on life, because I was stalking you interviews and I was like, this is going to be awesome.
Speaker 2: Well it's funn you know. I mean, my first solo record was about eight or nine years ago, and it was definitely much more of a seventies flair, you know. I mean I grew up playing in cover bands ever since I was twelve years old. I played drums and sang, and we used to do a couple of Joe Cocker songs. We would, you know, you'd sing Garth Brooks, you turn around, sang line of Richie, you turn around, sang La Zeppelin. So I have, you know, a pretty wide range of influences, you know.
Speaker 1: I used to play a song that Lionel Richie did with Kenny Rogers.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the well it hadn been. What was the one that he did that that they both did a version of.
Speaker 1: Well they did a version together and.
Speaker 2: Back together as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and everybody's like Lionel Richie dancing on the ceiling, mister disco king, you know, teaming up with Kenny Rogers. But it worked.
Speaker 2: What was that? I'm going really blank on that line of Richie wrote for Kenny and then they both did a version of it. I'll think of it at some point.
Speaker 1: It'll pop into my metapausal head, you know, while I'm bathing the kids or something.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, but you know, so it's funny though, you know, when you talk about seventies and eighties, those are probably my two favorite you know, kind of decades of music as well. And so, you know, with this second record, it's been you know, about eight or nine years after the first time I did a solo record. And I don't think I initially had set out to make an eighties record. It just kind of, you know, an eighties inspired record. It kind of just came about. I started writing, you know, for this project within about six months a year of kind of you know, getting sober and and you know, coming out of a little month and you know, this this rehabilitation place I went to, you know, for my alcoholism, and this was about getting close to three years ago now, and I don't know, I just came. I came at this an approached It was such a different I think lyrical perspective, you know, of kind of hope, you know, forgiving myself and just moving forward and kind of holding on to, you know, what matters the most in my life, and so all that's kind of in this music. I think it's you know, it's meant to be a very feel good, inspiring record. You know, there's a couple more I think deeper songs on it, but for the most part, it's just just a really feel good record from top to bottom. And you know, I kind of just naturally started writing to these kind of eighties inspired musical beds, and that's just kind of I started getting really excited about the sound of it. I said, I have no idea if this is going to be a new direction for Lady A or what, but I just love it. And and you know, the more I just kept writing for it, I was like, all right, you know, it's been close to a decade since I've done another solo record. I want to do this, and you know that I think the time we have it two worked out great. You know, Hillary's she's having her fourth and her fourth little girl here coming in July, and so you know, I was like, all right, I want to do this. I'm going to kind of you know, we're taking a time off with the band. I was like, I'm going to kind of focus on this for a little bit. And the irony is, through this process, we found out my wife and I, you know, we're in our forties, that we were having our second kids. So so it's kind of crazy, a lot of a lot of a lot of change happening over here in the Kelly household.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, thank you.
Speaker 2: You know. Honestly, it wasn't that we didn't think we could, you know, handle it. We always kind of prayed for another child, but it was we just didn't think it was going to happen.
Speaker 1: You know, God said, surprise, I.
Speaker 2: Know, because it was like we had our little boy, Ward and he's nine, and so you know, for the past like four or five years, we were just like, I guess, you know, it took. It was so hard having him that we were like, it's there's it just must not be in the cards. And then I think there's something about to you know, even just with my journey and my wife and I throughout this, I think have just settled into life and didn't try to force things anymore. And it's amazing how kind of God popped sin and it's like, all right, now you're now you're ready. Now you're in a healthy spot and prepared and uh and you know, it's just such a such a cool little blessing and new new adventure for us. My son is through the roof. I've never seen a kid so excited in his life. I mean, he cannot wait for this, this baby to arrive. And we found out it's going to be another little boy, so he's gonna have a little brother.
Speaker 1: All right. So if I am, I'm gonna just throw some scenarios at you, and you're gonna tell me which cut off this new album. I'm gonna have to crank up? Okay, oh okay. So I got a creak on my property. It's got crowdads, it's got rocks, it's got everything heavenly and I got five kids at home, so you know where we're going to be this summer. What what cut off the new album? Charles and Mike cranking while the kids are splashing each other in the creek.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to say it just because it's my single, but my favorite song off the record, and what really kickstarted this is a song called Can't Lose You and it's just, uh, you know, it's it's about kind of putting in perspective all the things in your life that you you know that you could do without the and the one thing that you know you can't lose, and that's I think our connection and our love for our family and you know, spirituality whatever whatever that is for you. And that's that's what that song is about. The other one I was going to say was Run. That's a really good, feel good you know, it's about kind of wanting to kind of get out there and and travel the world and and and you know, chase down live.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I was to stop right there because my next scenario is my twenty one year old daughter is in a travel phase, which I'm just so proud of. She's working, working, working, working, working, and then she takes the money she makes because you know, she lives at home and she goes and she travels.
Speaker 2: So that's Run. There's a line in there saying I want to fill your cup of wonder luss till the end of days. You know, we can we can dance on the streets or on the cobblestones in the streets. Sancho pe. I mean, it's a very go out see the World travel song. So I'm putting run for that scenario. Can't lose you for the hanging out, you know, Memorial Day weekend scenario, that's the creak.
Speaker 1: Okay, last scenario my oldest daughter who's still at home. She has the most phenomenal group of friends I have ever met in my life, outside of my circle of friends in high school. Because I'm still friends with them, phenomenal young people like like I could, I could write a book about each one and the trials they've been through. But their character for fifteen sixteen seventeen year olds blows my mind.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: So scenario for her sitting around the campfire in our backyard with her four or five besties.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, all right, I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench. I did two covers on this record. One of them is a killer, but the other one I did Cindy Lauper's Time after Time. Ah Okay, this song. When I listen to this song, I did it for my boy. I hear this like you know, if you're lost, you will find me time after time. It's got this kind of like I'm always going to be there when you need me type of feel you know. I know she kind of wrote this from like more of a heartbroke broken, you know, relationship standpoint. But when I hear this song, I think that's what the beauty of music, you know, like we can we can write our own story into into lyrics. I mean, I can't tell you how many people would like with Lady A's need you now have said, Like we've even had someone say they walk they like played that for their wedding song. I said, you realize this is like a you know, a kind of love lost booty call song in a way. But but everyone puts their story. But for me, time after time when I listen to that song, it fits this like friendship. I will be with you, you know, throughout whatever you like. I'm always there. I'm only a phone call a type of scenario.
Speaker 1: Wow. So basically you've given us the soundtrack for our whole summer for everybody.
Speaker 2: Hey, we want to make you kind of feel feel whether it's feel good, feel nostalgic, I mean, the whole. The whole record, in my opinion is it is unapologetically pulling from so many different sounds and influences and songs that I grew up loving you know, from this specific decade of music, and uh that you know, Cindy Lauper like to me that song just it is probably one of the most perfectly written songs of all time. And you know, we were talking about what cover song to do. You know, I said, I want to do a female song because I don't know to have that, you know, a male perspective and male voice on a song that you know, you kind of have become familiar with from a female and.
Speaker 1: Just not just become familiar with. That's kind of an anthem.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's unbelievable. It's one of the It really is one of the greatest songs ever written. And you it's so cool too that an artist like Cindy Lapper, who has given us such fun music. You know, girls just want to have fun, then all of a sudden throws out at you one of the biggest heart wrenching, perfectly written ballads of all time. So it shows, you know, pretty big testament to her talent.
Speaker 1: She's a hot ticket too. She came and saw me. I do this appearance every year in New York. I do skating in the park in December and then I do Broadway and Bryant Park in the summer, and she came to she came to just she heard that I was in town, and she lived near the park, and she's put her coat on and grabbed her man and came down to hang out skating in Central Park with me. And you see her, you know, on TV or on the shows, and she's got the makeup and the colorful hair, but in real life she is darling. Yeah, and her love, her energy, her kindness pours out of her. It was, it was. It was a blessing to my heart.
Speaker 2: It's so cool.
Speaker 1: So now I want to talk about your sober journey because this is something that I got into alan on the support group for or those of us who loved those of you that love alcohol over thirty years ago, four whiles ago, quite by accident. Actually it was on purpose by God. But I was so resistant to it. I went to a few meetings and I was like, I don't want to hear this. I just want somebody to tell me how to make him stop drinking. Is not helping. This is not like you're supposed to give me twelve steps how to make him stop.
Speaker 2: Or you're probably like, it's not my like, I'm not the one with a problem too. I know That's how my wife felt in the initial you know, journey of it as well.
Speaker 1: Well, of course I did. And then somebody pointed out, yeah, but this is not the first Yeah, and not the second, not even the third time You've decided to give your heart to somebody who is addicted to chemicals, Delilah, So who is the problem here? When I heard you and some of the interviews that I stopped talking about, like this new awareness you've got and how you didn't have to lose everything to get to recovery, I was like, oh, man, share this a lot, please, Charles, and let people know that you don't need to pickle your brain to have fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, you know, speaking of the Alan, my wife is really involved with that as well. You know, I mean I think she realized because in the beginning, you know, she was I remember when she came out for the family week, you know the place in Utah, you know, this recovery place, and she came out you know, that last week, and I remember she had told me later that, you know, at first, when they said, hey, you know you're going to have to do work too, it was like a little bit like resentful, like wait, I'm not the one that you know has put us in this position, but you know, as you know, it's just it's a family disease. It affects everybody, and me wife, my wife was the one that probably was affected hands down the most. Secondly, I would say, you know, my bandmates, you know, And for me, it just was a progressive thing. I think, being on the road and then you get off the road and you're kind of trying to chase that same kind of feeling and high when you're you know, you're off and your board, and I think it was just it became this thing that kind of gets a hold of you, you know, and it got a hold of me, and you know, I was really fortunate enough, you know, have so many people around me to encourage me. And after you know, after a few unsuccessful nudges, I finally kind of hit a point where I knew it was time. And it's amazing the weight that was lifted off my shoulder when I finally just gave into that realization. And I mean, I've discovered so much about myself. I don't think I ever knew I mean even kind of like you say, I mean, like I realized maybe I'm not as much of this, you know, extroverted, you know, I want to be around people all the time, kind of person. In reality, I think I needed alcohol to make me want to do those things. And I don't know, I just I've found so many such a strong relationship too with my wife and my son who's nine, you know, and I feel like I have more energy to kind of spend with him as well, and you know, if I want to get really spiritual with it, and you know, this baby, hands down would not have come in this world if I had not gotten sober, because I would highly doubt that my wife would have stayed with me. And so there's just so many blessings that have kind of come of it. And I mean, that's really so.
Speaker 1: How many years have you been married.
Speaker 2: I've been married, how sixteen years?
Speaker 1: How many years have you been together? Like before.
Speaker 2: Gosh, right when the band started, So two thousand and seven, we've been together maybe the end of two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: And up until three years ago, you were you were drinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in that while, and it's a.
Speaker 1: Progressive disease, so I'm sure in two thousand and six, two thousand and seven. It wasn't out of control. But yeah, exactly, with any disease process, if you don't turn the ship around, it doesn't get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. It just you know, it's one of those things that, like, you know, and we both kind of fed off each other, my wife as well. I mean, she drank a lot with me, and I think I just ended up kind of moved into my little boys room here to people outside, but I think I just kind of ended up obviously taking it to that next level. And I mean when you've got pretty much everybody around you, you know, feeling like they need to be looking after you and watching out for you, I think that's when you know you have an issue. I mean, I think people that are able to do it and control it and you know, do it socially and appropriately, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But there's a lot of us out there that you know, as they say, you know, one drink's one drink's never enough, you know, and it's just a thousand.
Speaker 1: One drinks too many, and a thousand's never is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one drinks too many, one more or whatever. Yeah, like you said, I mean, it really is. I mean I never had a cutoff valve. I could have drink until finally, you know, I pass out or someone told me that was enough.
Speaker 1: There was no time after time, because if I had more than one drink, I was. I was finding a corner and going to sleep. But nineteen eighty six is when I found my way to God, and I found my way to alan On, and then I found my way to a completely different life. Now I'm addicted to chickens.
Speaker 2: There you go. That's a healthy thing.
Speaker 1: Gardening and chickens. So if you need to add baby chicks Charles to your homestead, you just let me know.
Speaker 2: My little boy wants an ant farm, and I was like, how where do we keep this ant farm? And Who's like, how does it? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's two pieces of glass sandwich together. Didn't you ever do this? Have you never had an ant farm?
Speaker 2: He wants like an intense ant farm, and start.
Speaker 1: With the two pieces of glass. He'll lose interest after a week.
Speaker 2: We're gonna start with ant farm first, before we go chickens. We travel too much. I mean someone's got to be here to like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, does your family go on the road when you guys are perfect?
Speaker 2: You know, I wouldn't say a ton now that you know, with school and stuff.
Speaker 1: They used to school and a baby on the way.
Speaker 2: Was first born. I mean I think it was maybe a month after he was born that he came out on the tour bus. You know, my wife and I were all back there in that back, you know bed, and he's got this little little fascinat at the foot of the bed there on the bus. I mean, it's it's wild. He's he's been all over the world. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: How when's a baby do?
Speaker 2: Baby is due October, so October fourth, somewhere around there, so we're excited. Well, you just I don't know. It's it's going to be a fun, busy time and you know, a lot going on.
Speaker 1: We are so fortunate to have Charles Kelly with us today and I am so fortunate to have fantastic podcast sponsors. I'm so glad to get to share all that Mercy Ships is doing in the world with you. They travel to medical deserts, providing free, life changing surgeries to people in need, led by an all volunteer crew. They've been putting their faith into action for almost fifty years. Mercyships is all about impact. They performed nearly one hundred and twenty thousand free surgeries to date and touched more than two million lives. But more than the numbers, it's about dreams restored and lives renewed. It's about loving someone. You can be a part of this amazing organization. When you support Mercyships, you experience the joy and transformation a mother seeing her child for the first time, a child finally able to run and play and dream and just be a kid. Visit mercyships dot org to give or learn about the other ways you can get involved. That's mercyships dot org. So tell me about the new album.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a it's an album called Songs for a New Moon. And the reason I named it that was songs for a New Phase. This is kind of a new moon is kind of the beginning of a new phase, a new cycle, you know, the moon phases. And so for me, that was I just felt like a creative way of saying this new beginning. You know, I feel like I'm kind of the beginning of my second half of life so to speak, you know, and getting to kind of experience things from a healthy, fresh perspective. And so you know this, this whole record is pretty much inspired for the most part by my wife, and so this is for her. And record comes out June twenty fifth, and so you know, it'll be out on all the Treatman services. But we also were going to have vinyl. We've got CDs, believe it or not for those people. I mean, I told everybody, I said, my mom still asked me for CDs, So I said, we have to at least print some CDs so my mom can pop it in her car. And so we got CDs, and I've got my website, Charles Kelly dot com. You can go check out stuff there. But it's obviously going to be on all stream and services. And uh, I think even Barnes and Nobles are going to carry a bunch of records. And so yeah, I hope everybody enjoys it. It's sixteen songs, so it's a lot of uh, it's a lot of music to get through.
Speaker 1: But to get through, no, no, no, no, no, to get to enjoy too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not like we're sitting here listening to a lecture on the benefits of broccoli.
Speaker 2: But there's some good benefits to broccoli.
Speaker 1: I've got lots of it in my garden. But I don't want to listen to a record about it. I want to listen to a record about life and love and kids and passion and all that goodness.
Speaker 2: It's it's all in there. It's it's uh, it really is a really positive record, you know that. It's it's definitely a bit of a peek into this last three years and the growth that that I felt in the gratitude I think that I felt, really and so a celebration of life for me, a celebration of my wife.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've seen pictures, dude, of your wife. If any man was going to get sober and turn his life around, that that that would motivate you. She is she looks if she is half as nice as she is, lovely and gorgeous. You you hit the jackpot. You married a unicorn.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. She's she's an amazing woman. She's incredibly intelligent too. So I really do feel like, you know, she's uh, she's just seen it all with me, and I think she's you know, you know, unfortunately, with that disease, it's like the ones you love the most are the ones you hurt the most. And so you know, I think the last three years for me has been trying to really, you know, show her how much you know, how much she means to me, and and and you know, the man I want to be moving forward.
Speaker 1: So biggest thing you've discovered about yourself in your sobriety that you never would have known if you kept drinking.
Speaker 2: I love reading. I used to never read. I always equated reading to like schoolwork. I love reading. It's like all I do. Now I've been through. I've gone through you know, one hundred books in the which you know that was more than my entire lifetime before. And I just, I don't know, I love that quiet time. I think before my life always felt like I needed to stuff as much adrenaline rush or just excitement and heightened experiences into each day. And now I just feel like, to me, the beauties in the in the calm, the beauties and all those little in between moments of your life, you know, sitting down and reading, having a couple of coffee in the morning, you know, waking up with my kid, you know, first thing in the morning, take them to school and ask them questions like I don't know, I just think that's where the beauty really is. And it took some time to realize that. You know.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you realized it. I'm so glad you did well.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you so much.
Speaker 1: You have a blessed, blessed pregnancy with your wife. Don't do don't do the twenty five to thirty pound weight gain that a lot of guys do.
Speaker 2: But like and what do you call it? Just in supportive, you know, go ahead taking against the wait along with her.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It happened with both of my husbands who I had children with. Yeah, yeah, solidarity, Yeah, solidarity. Thank you you have a wonderful time. Thank you for your music.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. It's great speaking to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Charles for your time. I can't wait for Songs for a New Moon to drop. It's going to make summertime fun, taking the kids to the lake, listening to you. As if he's not busy enough writing and performing with the group Lady, A seasoned and celebrat singer songwriter Charles Kelly is about to launch his second solo album, Songs for a New Moon, on June twenty fifth. The sixteen tracks are seeping with unbridled optimism and irresistible eighties pop flare, celebrating an age of renewed possibility and fresh perspectives. Kelly says it reminds him of hearing Lady A's first recordings. He's now in a self described really positive life is good ad space and ready to soak it up and take this second chance of self discovery and sobriety and stop being afraid. You can pre save the album and keep up with all things Charles Kelly on Charles Kelly dot com, Charles k E L l e y dot com. He's also on all the social platforms. He's on Facebook, he's on Insta, He's on TikTok. Check him out. He's got some great interviews out there. I hope you're prepared or prepare for summertime, because ready or not, here it comes. There's nothing like a warm summer night, windows rolled down, music blaring, and Charles Kelly is helping us out with that part. I'll be here too. You can find me on your radio dial or on the iHeartRadio app. I will keep you company on those summer road trips when everyone else is asleep and you need someone to keep you company. When you're working the evening shift, you need some good tunes, some great stories to keep you motivated when you can make it through the work night and then relaxing at home. I am there if you just need a friend. Thank you for sharing your heart, Thank you for sharing your time with me.