Speaker 1: One to cook a gold.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody, Welcome back home run derby in the Bronx Game one thirteen in the books, and the Yankees dropped this one thirteen to seven. Cam Schlitzler had a very very rough night. Yankees actually hit the ball pretty well five home runs, but on hell, Chavi got shell ACKed for six runs and the Yankees lost this one after coming back from six to nothing. Luis Garcia Junior, I mean, we have to give this man his props. In his first game as a New York Yankee, he crushed a go ahead to run home run. He had two hits in the game. I said yesterday that Garcia was gonna be a huge trade, and I meant it. He's gonna help this lineup a lot against righties. But it didn't solve the glaring issues on the roster. There were several issues that were left unresolved. And we're gonna talk about that in a few minutes. We're gonna have TK come on after I get through the postgame recap section. But yeah, I was impressed by Garcia in his debut. He's a New Yorker, he's a local kid, grew up a Yankees fan, The stadium was absolutely electric when he hit that home run, but unfortunately the pitching gave it back up. Probably won't get to any voicemails tonight, but we'll do a show tomorrow morning and get your reactions to not only this game but to the trade deadline. But let's go ahead and take a look at the score bug here on hell. Chavi gets the loss. His eraight went from under one all the way up to three point seven to eight. Alec Burlson hit three home runs in this game, drove in six. Nathan Church also hit a home run. Trent Grisham had a good day with home run number twelve, And I mean the Yankees offense was actually kind of electric. After weeks and weeks of failing to put up any runs, tonight they turned it on. Take a look at the good, the bad, and the ugly. Trent Grisham with a good night, two hits and a homer. Garcia obviously with a good night a home run two RBI. Spencer Jones had a rough night, so did Ben Rice. Jason Dimingez had a base hit but then got thrown out at second oversliding the bag. We'll talk about that. Jazz Chisholm with a tough night, oh for four. Ryan McMahon got it going a little bit with a couple of hits and a home run. Jose Cabalira went deep, and Austin Wells how about Austin Wells with two hits and a home run on the day that you know, the Yankees failed to make any upgrades at the catcher position. Basically they said go get a big guy, and he continued to swing the bat well. He's been swinging the bat better over the last couple of weeks. Weather Holt had a base hit today and a couple of walks. Jordan Walker had a couple of knocks. Alec Burlson with the three home run game. He's obviously the player of the game. Herrera had a walk, Torres had hit. Blaize Jordan, former big time prospect, with a base hit. Mason Winn went over four with the silver sombrero, Nathan Church with a couple of hits, for Mean with a couple of hits, and Crooks with a home run. And that is the good, the bad, and the ugly. I want to talk a little bit about Brian Cashman and his legacy. I feel like his tenure is gonna be a lot of Remember when he did this, Remember when he did that, And I feel like today is going to go down as one of them. Remember when he ignored those glaring holes on the roster in a season where the American League was very winnable. You know, Remember that time when Justin Verlander was available and would have accepted a trade to the Yankees, but Cashman let Houston get him. You know. Then Verlander immediately wins ALCS MVP against the Yankees and pretty much personally ended their season. Remember when he could have traded for Garrett Cole when he was twenty seven with Pittsburgh, and instead he chose not to give up Miguel and Duhart and Clint Fraser and he went to Houston. And then you had to pay him three hundred and twenty four million to come a couple of years later, you know, two years after, you know, really would have made the biggest difference. He protects prospects like I don't know, like their priceless heirlooms, and most of them turned into nothing. And then he pays full retail for guys on the open market past their prime. And meanwhile he is so terrified that he is going to get ripped off in a trade that he refuses to go all in. Ever, you know, the Yankees had the prospects to get some of these guys that moved, but in the end, it ends up being the Yankees most of the time who get ripped off. Who get ripped off. Remember that time when the Yankees went with Ikf at shortstop instead of signing a shortstop. Remember when he protected Oswald Perrazza like he was the next Derek Jeter and stashed him in triple A while while Ikf struggled. Remember when Anthony Rizzo collided with Fernando Tatist Junior and then didn't look right for two months. Turned out he was playing with a concussion and the Yankees just kept saying, oh, he's fine. Remember when he did nothing about that. Remember when he managed to piss off Derek Jeter in contract negotiations, and then Jorge Pisada during the final season of his career, And then when he disrespected Bernie Williams at the end of his career, and then he pisses off Aaron Judge by holding a press conference and publicly announcing the details of the contract that Judge rejected to the point where Judge had to negotiate with Steinbrenner directly. Some of the most important players on the roster over the last few decades, and Cashman has openly made them feel disrespected. Remember when he continued running dj Lemayhew out there month after month when it was obvious that the guy needed help crossing the street, that he was about one fall away from being in a nursing home, and he kept putting him out there in the middle of the lineup. Remember when Bryce Harper became a free agent at age twenty six and practically begged the Yankees to show some interest. Cashman said that Harper wasn't a fit because he had six outfielders. Six outfielders that included Jacoby Elsberry who was missing, Clint Frazier who had done nothing, Aaron Hicks who really hadn't done much, and Brett Gardner who was on the tail end of his career. Harper went to Philadelphia and has since won two MVPs. Remember when Cashman traded for the rotting corpse of Josh Donaldson. Oh that that was also part of the IKF deal. Took on his entire contract and watched him become one of the worst hitters in baseball, and then spent two years just saying that. You know, he's our analytics show, he's strong. He still got plenty left. Remember when he gave Aaron Hicks seven years. Remember when he gave away one hundred and fifty three million dollars to Jacoby Elsbury. Remember when the Yankees went eighty two eighty and missed the postseason and had one of the most embarrassing seasons in decades, And he goes to the GM meetings and says, we're pretty fucking good. That might actually be the perfect Cashman quote. The results are mediocre, and Cashman is standing there congratulating. Cashman. You onto tonight's game. Hey, remember when the Yankees had their worst catching situation in years and there were a few good catchers available the deadline, and instead they went to the competitors in the division. First inning was an absolute nightmare for camp Schulterer. Thirty pitches and a two run home run. I actually thought he might be hurt. I didn't like the way he was moving around on the mound. He looked stiff, he looked uncomfortable. Five walks tonight. You don't see that from Camp Schlutler, and I am worried. I'm worried. Then in a couple of days or maybe after three starts, knowing the Yankees, we're gonna find out that Cam Schlitler has forearm stiffness or shoulder stiffness. That was not how a healthy person pitches. You don't walk five guys out of nowhere when you have elite command like that. Something is wrong. I'm calling it right now. And he was just moving around stiff. He didn't have that usual you know rooster strut that he's got right. Three innings, four runs, five walks. Velocity was there topped out at ninety nine point nine, but there was there was a little touch missing, so we'll see. Austin Wells had a pretty good game. Grisham handed out a mustache ride, McMahon hit the home run. Demingez had another hit, got thrown out sliding over the bag again. I feel like someone oversliding the bag and just being like a hair off the bag and still being tagged isn't really the spirit of the rule because it slows down the game and it's like, I mean, how are you supposed to control your body at that level? I mean, I get it, but maybe he should start sliding feet first, you know, you know, be throwing those spikes in there. Make guys a little bit more or less hesitant to their hands in there. Garcia not only had a nice piece of hitting and a two run home run, but he had a couple of nice plays at first base. He has a rocket for an arm compared to most first basemen. Remember when Jason Giambi played first base for the Yankees and he was trying to throw down a second base It was like watching a t rex try and swat a mosquito. And then CHEVII got absolutely torched tonight, absolutely torched. In this game. He gave up five hits, six earned runs, one walk, no strikeouts, and that was just about as brutal as you can be. Yankees dropped this one, Okay, So we're gonna bring on Terrance here. TK. I know you were working tonight, you didn't get a chance to watch the whole game, but you were watching the trade deadline rather closely, and we were going back and forth throughout the day. Just want to get your thoughts on Brian Cashman simply ignoring the problems with this.
Speaker 1: Roster incredibly frustrating. I'll tell you this, the Luis Garcia move, and obviously he hit a home run tonight, had a good piece of hitting. I don't hate that move as much as I hate the Ramos move. I hate the Ramos move. The Garcia move is a little bit clunky roster construction wise, because basically, if you look at the stats, like they traded for ben Rice essentially and look, they needed some offense. They got a bat. Okay, but I hated the you gave up Henry l Lane for Ramos? Who you know you were saying it before, Derek, like he five eleven, two thirty five, Like, the guy is definitely a little doey.
Speaker 2: Well I found out he's actually not. He's actually so he's apparently packed with muscle because he he's apparently one of these guys who's really jacked, kind of like Domingez but looks all right, whatever.
Speaker 1: Fine, whatever. Still, but the guy doesn't grade out defensively very well. Strikes out a lot nine homers. I think he's he had an il stint if I remember correctly, Like I'm really just not and like they needed a right handed bat. But to me that that came off as a bit of like a panic move. To me, like we got to do more than just getting Garcia. If you were gonna get Henry Lallana, if you were gonna get rid of Henry Lalane, I was expecting a catcher or a relief arm. Now it's funny how Ryan Jeffers and Hunter Goodman are the guys that ended up not getting moved, and Adley Rushman is the guy who ended up getting moved to the Red Sox. The Red Sox who are playing incredible baseball of late, they're probably the best team in baseball the last month and a half or so, and the Red Sox, and they're right on your heels, and the Red Sox end up picking up picking them up. And the dude, Eric Miller, Now they gave up Marcela Mayor forums and the halls they gave up were enormous. Of course I understand that. But the Red Sox are actually going for it more so than the Yankees are, and they're right on your heels. And the Red Sox front office, for as bad of a start of the season they had, they are looking at the American League and and they're looking at the Yankees, And to me, they smell blood in the water. This is a Yankee team. I just watched them in person in Chicago. Go check out the vlog on my channel. I just watched them in Chicago. Basically get They got no hits essentially for the first like five innings at that White Sock game. They looked awful. They can pitch, but it's like even tonight, when they hit, they don't pitch. When they pitch, they don't hit. It's it's just it's just mind boggling the fact that you didn't even get a catcher. You couldn't get Tyler Stevenson from the Reds, Are you kidding? Look?
Speaker 2: Ye, Weaver would have been great.
Speaker 1: You got Lou That's the thing that even boggles my mind even more. You gave up Yovannie Cruz for Luis Garcia. And again I don't hate that deal, but like your bullpen is thin now to me, you know, like Curvin Castro, that's who you called up, Are you kidding? Look, Derek, for me, I'm expecting Jason Deminguez to get optioned down to Triple A tomorrow for Elliott Ramos. But what I wanna see is Anthony Bolpi get optioned for George Lombard Junior. You gotta bring him up now. You didn't deal him at the deadline. He has to play. He has to play. He's been lighting it up offensively in Triple A. Get him up here. This lineup needs some juice. This fan base needs a little bit of something something. You gotta shake things up, man, because that was an f deadline. I think in the Judge era, this was a worse deadline than twenty three because of the context of the whole situation.
Speaker 2: Awful undred percent. Yeah, I mean in twenty twenty three, I mean you could tell that the Yankees were dogshit this year at least, like the American League is winnable if you made a push and got the right pieces. Now, I do think Garcia is gonna help. I think he's gonna actually put up some numbers. He's gonna help them against righties, and they're gonna face a lot of righties, but they're also gonna face a lot lefties because people are just gonna pick up whatever lefty they can on a triple A to go throw slop at the Yankees for three four innings, two times through the order and get some of these guys out and yes, I do think Dimingez might get sent down. Uh, and he probably should be sent down. You know, he's he has not proven to be a big league player at this point. And Spencer Jones, let's be clear, has outplayed him. He's not hitting for that same kind of average, but he's a much better, much better defender. But he can play leftfield or centerfield. And I have absolute full confidence. He went over Fortnite. But he's got five home runs. He's got a one thirteen WRC plus, so he's been at least above average. Dominguez, on the other hand, let's see what his numbers are. He's got a eighty two WRC plus, so he's been eighteen percent below league average, whereas Spencer Jones has been thirteen percent above league average. Domingez deserves to go down, and he can't stay on the base when he's when he What good is having blazing speed If you're sliding over the bag and getting tagged out every fucking time, it is absolutely infuriating. All right, I have to pay the light bill, dude, I have to run a quick ad and then we're gonna finish up. We're gonna come back and talk to Terrence again in about sixty seconds.
Speaker 3: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. Kratz.
Speaker 2: We love our pups, we do, and I can't put Bella in a bubble, So you know what I'll do.
Speaker 3: I'll do the next best thing for her.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets, and when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash file. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash fol again one more time. Aspcapetinsurance dot com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insured and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 2: That's a cute dog, all right. So I want to just talk a Lombard for a second. That old Yankees guy disagrees with you. He says Lombard's not ready for big league pitching. He's just now got his batting average up to two sixty ish. Give him a little bit more time to cook and don't spoil him just yet. Okay. I want to show you the problem with that. Over his last thirty games he is hitting three thirty nine. He got off to an insanely slow start. As they always say, it's not linear. This is what they mean. He got off to a really, really, really bad start at Triple A, and he has been absolutely on fire for a month. In his last ten games three oh six with a nine to sixteen ops and in his last five games three forty eight. In his last four for five with three RBIs and on the season and eight forty five ops TK.
Speaker 1: He is ready, dude, It's time. It's time. Do we know what he is Defensively? This team needs something. They are right Garcia. I agree with you. I do think Garcia is gonna do some damage at the play for them. I hate the Ramas steal so much. I hate it so much. You were better off not making the move and just bringing up Lombard, to be honest with you, but they need another right handed bat. Defensively. He's better than both Volpi and Caballero probably honestly. So just bring him up here. Just get him up here. It's time. He's I think when you're looking at minor leaguers two to your point, you gotta be looking at them month to month. You know, there is an adjustment period. You can't be looking at their season overall. So he is at this point. The Yankees like to have guys graduate the level. Yeah, look at it right there. There's obviously that adjustment in May, and then it just projects upwards. It's time. It's time. If the Yankees don't bring up George Lombard Junior in the next week, I will be shocked, shocked, honestly, I don't know, Like, how do you not? How do you not?
Speaker 2: He's my starting shortstop tomorrow if i'm if I'm the GM. You gotta get some life into this team, bring some fresh blood. I I agree with you one hundred percent. He should be in the lineup tomorrow. TK This, aside from the Kenya Mill Middleton, has been one of the least active deadlines that Cashman has has made us endure. I gotta say, I think Cashman's time is running out. If the Yankees missed the playoffs, I mean he stood pat essentially, he got one player, one decent player, maybe two. But if they get knocked out early, or if they missed the playoffs entirely, that's got to the end. It's gotta be.
Speaker 1: I just don't understand, if you're a house Steime Brenner, how you look this fan base in this in the face and say we're serious about winning. I don't get it. Uh, dude. The Dodgers are looking to three p and by the way, I was shocked the return that Detroit got. I was disappointed in Milwaukee, you could have made that deal. But you know, the Dodgers are looking to three peet their hell bent on it. You got the Red Sox that are going all in on a season where they were kind of rebuilding and they kept their best prospect with Roman Anthony. You know, the American League being as weak as it is, I mean, this is pathetic and I don't want to hear well, Aaron Judge was hurt for most of the year. There's no replacing Aaron Judge. I understand that. I understand that Aaron Judge is the best offensive player on the planet. But you wasted this man's prime. Look when the Dodgers. Look at the Dodgers. The Dodgers are loaded, obviously, but look at sho he Otani for example. If Shoeotani got hurt, God forbid for him, got hurt and he was out for the season, I don't think the Dodgers would dominate like the Dodgers are doing right now, but they would still be a strong contender because there are other guys in the lineup that can get it on. Why is it that every single season, as soon as Aaron Judge gets hurt or he slumps a little bit, that's it. It's over. Other than the Jan Soto year essentially, and he was healthy for all that year. But basically, this entire team, the way it's built, is built around Judge. And you do that with your best player. But it's not built around Judge. It's completely reliant on Judge, and that is not good roster construction. It's not good roster construction. This roster is completely clunky platooning. This platooning that there's absolutely no consistency. The players can't get in a rhythm coming to the ballpark knowing what they're doing with this analytics stuff and analytics. I'm not anti analytics. It's information. It gives you information. It's important to have. But there is a feel to the game that has to be there with this. If George Lombard Junior is not up tomorrow, I'm gonna be on. I don't know what I'm gonna do, man, I'm gonna be tweaking. Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So someone said, how come we don't pay enough attention or pay more attention to Ben Rice falling completely off the table? Because Ben Rice has been great. He's been one of the guys on this team who was actually hit. He's following the normal path of a baseball player. Occasionally, you're gonna have slumps, especially when everyone around you goes down and the entire pitching staff is, you know, focused on you and not letting you beat them. As gilready mentioned, he's seeing like Lefty after lefty after lefty, and they're not giving him anything good to hit. I think he's gonna be fine. But anyway, TK, any final thoughts here before we wrap it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nick Paluso, there, Judge has to be blamed too, because he has to stay on the field. Stop stop right now, stop it. The guy is crashing in the walls diving for balls. All right, it's this is on the Yankees. This is on the Yankees. The guy's an animal. Don't even go there. I can't with you, not tonight after they have a god awful deadline. Stop it. Put down the weed.
Speaker 2: Pick up the weed. All right, ladies and gentlemen, I'm gonna call it tonight. Three shows in one day. That's enough for me. I'll try to do a Pinstripe coffee break tomorrow and takes a few voicemails if I have the energy. I might not have the energy. I might.
Speaker 1: I might.
Speaker 2: I might just take the day off. We'll see, all right, guys, I'll see you tomorrow. Hey, thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store Nyy Designs dot Shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at Pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind. If we earned it. We'll see you next time.