Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: January fourteenth, twenty fourteenth, Comedy Central's Worldviews headquarters in New York. This is the Daily Show with John Steward Joe Store.
Speaker 3: We have made a show for you tonight by hand our guest tonight from the lifetime show Under the Gun, one of our favorites, mister tim Gun, is going to be joining us.
Speaker 1: What at.
Speaker 3: First like a car unable to move forward on its way to Fort Lee, New Jersey. We as a nation remains buck in the news traffic jam.
Speaker 1: That is Christopher Christie.
Speaker 4: New evidence that will be coming out today on what many people are now calling Bridgegate.
Speaker 5: Can the New Jersey governor recover from the Bridgegate scandal?
Speaker 6: Chris Christie?
Speaker 1: Bridgegate probe? Bridge bridge Gate? First of all, Bridgegate?
Speaker 6: Come on, does every scandal have to.
Speaker 1: Get a gate?
Speaker 3: Watergate was a completely different animal. It was a petty crime of political intrigue by an incumbent already cruising to an easy re election victory. Was an unforced error where the cover up was actually more damage. I mean, this is no water This is about a.
Speaker 2: But the point.
Speaker 3: Now that we're looking at Chris Christie, the hunt for Christy scandals is on. There is blood in the water in New Jersey, but this time it's not coming out of used syringes or.
Speaker 1: Discarded teamsters.
Speaker 7: Jersey City Mayor Steve Pullup, a Democrat, considered endorsing Christy for reelection last year, but then declined to do so on July eighteenth. Over the next two days, Christy appointees canceled upcoming meetings with him.
Speaker 6: Bullip tried to reschedule, but was ignored. He believes it was payback.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I had a scheduled meeting rendezvous and.
Speaker 1: It was postponed.
Speaker 7: Ooh the babe, Oh listen.
Speaker 3: Mayor, that may count his payback on Downton Abbey. There's New Jersey Payback's waking up duct taped to the roof of the Holland Tunnel during the Friday afternoon rush hour. Now that eoh I was going to meet with him, and then they said what about.
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: Some have claimed that all of this, how could you not?
Speaker 1: How could you not? Some have claimed that all of this the bridge shut down.
Speaker 3: The leaning on mayors is proof that old Governor Christie heres a bit of a bully. But on Fox one man was smart enough to see through.
Speaker 6: All that, what about this bully narrative.
Speaker 8: Well, I would have to say that in this sort of feminized.
Speaker 3: Atmosphere, feminized atmosphere well of New Jersey, feminized.
Speaker 1: The state whose chief.
Speaker 3: Exports are as body spray and lit farts, that that atmosphere or do you mean the feminized atmosphere in which we all have to coexist with each other?
Speaker 8: Men today have learned the lesson the hard way that if you act like a kind of an old fashioned guy's guy, you're in in danger of slipping out and saying something that's going to get you in trouble and make you look like a sexist or make you look like like you seem thuggish or whatever.
Speaker 9: Ah.
Speaker 3: So bullies, thugs, and sexists are the real victims here if you think about it for not very long, Which is why this idea that the real tragedy in this entire situation is the overly PC vaginification of America, and that that thought found a comfortable home on the Fox News number. I thought your analysis of the tough guy factor in politics is right on Hume. Of course, I would say that because I'm a big target as well.
Speaker 8: If you have that tough guy image you speak bluntly, even sometimes rudely, especially if you take on certain interest Teachers' Union in Chris Christie's case, you do run the risk of being accused of being a bully.
Speaker 3: Listen how wistful they are for the old days. They're like the Wilford Brimleys of sexism.
Speaker 10: You know it used to be in the old days, neighbors would leave the doors open and people said thank you and God bless you then, and a good meal cost a dollar.
Speaker 3: In hell, you could grab a woman's breast and say tune in Tokyo.
Speaker 1: As if she were a radio.
Speaker 10: But uh, but uspose times have changed.
Speaker 3: How would it be then, if this is about the feminization of America, that the toughest politician out there other than Chris Christy just happens.
Speaker 1: To be a woman.
Speaker 5: Political magazine up with a piece called.
Speaker 3: Hillary's Hitlist, list of friends and enemies, ranking them on a one to seven scale, with one being most helpful, seven being quote treacherous. Turns out, you don't need a dick to be a dick. And you don't see you don't see you don't see her partisans crying gender politics.
Speaker 8: Would we not be talking about this if this was a man that was involved here.
Speaker 10: I absolutely agree.
Speaker 9: If a guy has a list of people he's not too keen on, no big deal.
Speaker 4: But if a woman does, then that is a big deal, and then it becomes juicy.
Speaker 3: Oh for sake, Oh do I hate our news media?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Yes, we never talk about a male politician's enemies list.
Speaker 4: The President still bullying the Supreme Court and adding to his Nixonian enemies list.
Speaker 10: The Internal Revenue Service has been maintaining an enemies list of its all.
Speaker 6: The Police Foundation, the country's leading think tank on effective and just police work, is on the NRA's enemies list.
Speaker 3: During the Watergate investigation, the president had not only bugged the Democratic National Committee, but it also created enemies lists. Wow, a lot of people enemies list and it's kind of newsworthy, no matter who they are, man or woman. Should I have an enemy's list?
Speaker 1: I do one word? Dry uf me for the last time. We'll be right back now.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and eleven, Fox News premiered a novel news show, The Five. There's a panel show at five o'clock with five pundits whose opinions ranged from Wall Street conservative to fifty year old frat boy conservative to George W. Bush conservative to conservative to Fox liberal.
Speaker 10: When you walk down the street, you must feel like a chinaman walking in an NBA rally.
Speaker 1: I would like to have.
Speaker 4: A personal shoes prefertly Korean and Nigeria.
Speaker 1: What they must do is the greatest scam owners in the world.
Speaker 10: They must teach them how to red scams and pickpocket people.
Speaker 1: And rays kill people.
Speaker 10: No more student visas from Buzzle students, slow.
Speaker 1: Down, chompsky.
Speaker 3: So that's their liberal with more on the five. It's our own Samantha b Samantha.
Speaker 1: Nice to see you now, Samantha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what what do you feel like these panel shows like the Five bring to the analysis of the news.
Speaker 11: John, I'm sorry, Please don't compare the Five to other panel shows. Okay, the five is so much more than just a panel show. It's life itself.
Speaker 10: It is everything.
Speaker 1: How are they different from a panel show? They seem like.
Speaker 11: Ju Perhaps you're unacquainted with my woman show inspired by the Five. I shall now perform it for you.
Speaker 1: I don't and actually I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't think we have five.
Speaker 12: Easy little John.
Speaker 11: Mama's in control now, John. The five is the storyboard of the human condition. And I know this because I'm Samantha Bee and I watch The Five. The truth about The Five is that it's.
Speaker 12: A story as old as.
Speaker 11: Time, a story of love, one that rivals the works of a Shakespeare or a Nicholas Sparks. This, this story, oh love, is rooted in that deepest human emotion.
Speaker 12: Riding the Boner train to Poundtown.
Speaker 11: It's the tale of a Winson blonde Angenoue Dana Perino, a young girl new to the big city with big dreams and a heart so pure she makes Mary Poppins look like a disgusting whore bag.
Speaker 9: I am in bed sleep by ten thirty. I'm definitely awake by six thirty. There is a certain word that rhymes with truck. Should the detainees be given the E word in the first place we're going to discuss next time erotica. And they don't start families is because they feel like they don't. They're not financially secure enough. The family's not that they're not having sex.
Speaker 6: She can't say sex. She's not a word.
Speaker 11: Now, nobody falls for a good girl harder than a bad boy, and no boy was better than the rebolicious Greg got felled.
Speaker 4: I was on percocet for seven days. Best week of my life.
Speaker 1: I'm talking out.
Speaker 4: I've been drinking since too. I gave three people hepatitis.
Speaker 11: U pill popping afternoon drunk, who's riddled with hepatitis?
Speaker 12: There's gotta be a catch.
Speaker 11: Greg and Dano were total opposites. They should never have even been seated together.
Speaker 6: But once they were electric.
Speaker 9: These beautiful flowers of your friend, and I wanted to give them to Greg's a photo rose. You could have this in your office.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 9: Greg was very chivalroused and gave me his jacket in the freak. How don't we laugh anything? One last question to Greg is poia.
Speaker 1: We need to do this. How do you have that power?
Speaker 6: Oh you?
Speaker 1: Oh you?
Speaker 11: Of course, a girl like Dana, she's not gonna have just one suitor.
Speaker 6: It's a game of high stakes international chess.
Speaker 3: So I put together a big old chess board right here.
Speaker 6: We camera to take this because this is what you agreed to wear. We fivers want to take you through how we're dealing with the flu. I have to do this. What is that?
Speaker 7: Does that catch up?
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 11: Eric Bowling prop comedy that's not going to work on Dana. This isn't nineteen eighty and you.
Speaker 12: Ain't no Gallagher. Besides, Greg and Dana's love couldn't be denied, not that others didn't try to pull them apart, which brings us to our story's villain.
Speaker 11: A man with a soul so dark he couldn't abide Greg and Dana's happiness. He knew exposing their secret love would be a scandal.
Speaker 1: The likes of which the world had never seen.
Speaker 11: And ur of the day the five were outside grilling meat.
Speaker 12: That's just what Bob Beckel did.
Speaker 1: Sweet put gutfeld on here.
Speaker 3: We could have grown gut Now, what's That'll be the best meat you ever had?
Speaker 1: I'm sure it would be. That's what Dana tells me. Uh is that is it?
Speaker 12: Big mistake, Bob? How about I take those suspenders and.
Speaker 6: Hang you by your balls?
Speaker 11: But none of it mattered, was empty, meaningless, because it turned out Greg and Dana had worse problems than scumball big pants.
Speaker 4: I want to wish a happy ninth anniversary to my wife, Elena.
Speaker 6: He has a wife.
Speaker 11: You have a wife.
Speaker 12: That's not something you could have mentioned in the three years you've been.
Speaker 10: Sitting next to Dana.
Speaker 12: Years too, Chiming monster, Letty Dana, precious Dana fall in.
Speaker 8: Love with you?
Speaker 11: Well you are, yes, gallivanting around your stupid studio, laughing it up with your secret wife.
Speaker 6: And your dick pills.
Speaker 11: You know, watch all the while breaking a heart.
Speaker 6: You run it all the hearts here take.
Speaker 4: Fine, I don't date it anymore.
Speaker 6: For all.
Speaker 1: So what's your take on the view? Do you have a Oh?
Speaker 12: You know what, it's good. It's good in the background.
Speaker 1: When you're back, you may or whatever?
Speaker 3: Okay, Sam, sam Beef, everybody? Thank you, Sam beebe Everything's work?
Speaker 5: Where about I got Tonight?
Speaker 3: He's the co host of Project Runway. His new show is Lifetimes Under the Gun.
Speaker 1: I guess who's DVR a night. Welcome back to the show, Tim Gunn. How are y.
Speaker 6: Fantastic? Why why do I have to follow Samantha B Can I tell you? Sam?
Speaker 3: Did she leave it out on the floor And that was like Patty Loupone and she was phenomenal.
Speaker 6: That was.
Speaker 1: Gesticulation. I thought it was amazing.
Speaker 6: Really, how are you doing? I'm fantastic?
Speaker 1: What is just doing?
Speaker 3: They finally understood the gold they had the gun gave you your own show.
Speaker 1: This under the gun.
Speaker 6: No they were desperate. No, no, they were, they really were.
Speaker 1: We were.
Speaker 6: So we were scheduled, loosely scheduled to shoot a new season of Project Runway. Heidi was only marginally consulted. How ridiculous is that? Hedlue Hedi Klum and Heidi said that I'm not available, and Heidie and I have a little pinky packed and it is that if if either one of us can't do a season of the show, the other one's not doing it. So they came to me and we can find another host. And I said, well, you'll have to find another mentor too.
Speaker 1: You stood up and you said you can't do this to Heidi. Tim Gunn stands with Heidi Clue. I did I do?
Speaker 6: Stand with Heidi?
Speaker 1: I see gun So you know, it's funny that you bring this up. Heidi Klum and I also have a pinky pant. Oh yeah, if I could just get close enough. Uh the let me ask you this, did you and I'm very fond of her?
Speaker 3: She you you always look before you were on television? Did you always look this put together?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 6: You're flattering?
Speaker 1: Man? Could Could you go out looking like a schlub? Could you or do you feel pressure. Now, you can't do that.
Speaker 6: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: You can't, I can't And that's pressure. Yeah, it is Sunday morning.
Speaker 3: You wake up, it's raining out, met a long night, you've been doing something, You're out, you're tired. You want to get up and you want to go get a paper and a cup of coffee in a and a b ali wit a shmeir and I do.
Speaker 1: But what do you have to put on?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I'm not a crazy person, and this weather, I'll wear a turtleneck and a pair of jeans and I'll put a pea coat on.
Speaker 3: So you look as good as I've ever looked.
Speaker 6: You're one of the best dressed guys on television.
Speaker 1: He hang it on my door, I put you have no you should see.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you a trick that I do here on Monday, especially in the winter time. I do this, So I got long John's and I'll wear like a T shirt.
Speaker 1: Over it on Monday.
Speaker 3: On Tuesday, I put the T shirt on, I put the long Johns over that, and then I just keep doing that back and forth, and everybody thinks, like, hey.
Speaker 1: That guy really changes his shirts.
Speaker 3: That's really true, though, sadly this show now though, have you finished taping it or have you done?
Speaker 6: We finished about three and a half weeks ago.
Speaker 1: And another New York production, No where.
Speaker 6: In Los Angeles. A. This goes back to heidis to Heidi who lives in LA. I thought she lived, No, she lives in LA So she comes here for the for a season of Project Coming two seasons. We were going to do that in La. So you went to La so I did.
Speaker 3: Isn't it more difficult to do something like this out there because you need the access to those tremendous garment chops and those fabric.
Speaker 1: Stores and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean the traffic is a challenge, yes, I mean we have lots of field trips and we go back and forth to Mood for most of our challenges, and it just takes time. So we end up extending the workday, which means the designers get less sleep, right, right, right, So it's not exact they really like are.
Speaker 3: They being how long a day do you think somebody would have there, like a design Let's say they're on the show twelve hour day fourteen, it's more like an eighteen hour day, really it is.
Speaker 6: I will tell you this though. I mean, let's talk about a challenge that up day. We travel to where we set it up, so that's an hour. Then it's all the lighting and everything else. That's an hour.
Speaker 1: You know, we're sitting around.
Speaker 6: Then we present the challenge and then they sketch, and then we have to travel to Mood and we shop at Mood and we get back to the workroom. By the time we get back, they have about ten hours to work.
Speaker 1: So let me tell you them. That's why God invented Adderall all right, well, I'm excited to see this, my friend. I'm gonna watch this.
Speaker 3: It's Under the Gun premieres Thursday Thursday at your own show, Lifetime.
Speaker 1: Very excited, Thank you, Tim Gun. Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 5: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 6: This has been a Comedy Central podcast