Speaker 1: Hey, hey, Hey, I'm back. I'm black and I'm brown.
Speaker 2: Hey, mandra Oh I missed you so much.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it feels so weird being back in my bed talking on my computer.
Speaker 2: Budget puff.
Speaker 1: You know, it's crazy because honestly, I didn't, Like usually for a vacation, you go somewhere, and I didn't go anywhere, and it was exactly the vacation I needed.
Speaker 2: That sounds awesome, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I took a social media break too, which was honestly everything, because I didn't realize how stressful Instagram, especially Facebook. Yes, but Instagram is honestly kind of stressful.
Speaker 2: Oh, I one hundred percent think I agree with you. I take my own like little breaks after work.
Speaker 1: So it was just it was just nice to just take a full break, like I went for a walk. So it was like I had like a list of like things I wanted to do. It's like I want to get my nails done, I want to get I want to wash my hair, I want to get my hair retightened, like I had like these little I want to get a massage, and so I want to take a walk in the park. And because right now in Newark and some it's cherry blossom seasons. Newark has the largest amount of cherry blossom trees in the United States and one concentrated area. So it's when I say beautiful, Mandy, it looks like a like a wonderland. And so yeah, it was just it was exactly what I needed. No emails, no, you know, work conversations. I mean, Superman and I went on several dates. It was just really nice.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so glad that you had some time to recharge and reboot yourself. It seems like the perfect time too, right before spring really gets underway.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what were you guys up to when I was galaxies?
Speaker 2: Oh you know, we uh, we cheated on you a little bit. We had Lynette California Cocks on the show last week. We had Marcus scared from paychecks and balances. So thank you to them for coming through and filling in your massive shoes. They did their best.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I mean I already know, I mean, let no shade to Marcus. But Lynette, I know, she's a beast. That's my that's my mentor oursel. I'm like what Lonette?
Speaker 2: Yes, love it and best wishes to Sandy again. Sandy Smith of yes, I am cheap. I'm definitely gonna try and get her on the show again, because I've been trying to make this happen forever, but fate just keeps getting on our way. I hope Sandy is recovering well at the hospital and her health is obviously top priority. M hm, cool, let's get back in the groove. What's happening. I read a story today that millennials lie on their resumes, and I just have to say, you guys, don't do it. I've literally gotten to a point where I have like hired a candidate, like given them an offer letter, they've signed, and then you know what happens after that point is a background check happens like that's what companies do with the stage. Once you've signed the offer letter, then there's like the asterisk of you know, ending the background check and they will check your damn resume and your LinkedIn profile versus records. And you know, we had to rescind an offer to some candidate who lied on her resume about completing a master's degree which had nothing to do with a job that she applied for. It was like crazy, Ugh, she put it on LinkedIn and she put it. It would have been one thing if she for you know, put it on LinkedIn, but she put it also on the actual application form for the job, and for that reason she had to. She didn't get the.
Speaker 1: Job, carringing, Oh my god, that's a big thing to lie about.
Speaker 3: It's huge.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. I went to my LinkedIn page because I understand there's like this.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's just this human instinct to just over it like hype, like to be hyperbolic, or like overinflate your credentials. I think we all do when we're telling stories about ourselves. You know, everyone has that mom or that auntie who exaggerates. It's just this human instinct. But you have to check it when it comes to your professional your professional credentials, especially on you know, platforms like LinkedIn or in a hundred percent on applications, because like, one, why set people up for disappointment when they find out who you really are? And two it's just it's gonna it's just so embarrassing and it's going to blacklist you forever from that company. If you let that happen.
Speaker 1: It doesn't end well yikes, no, man, Well, uh, poor Paris. I was like, what, no, todam what happened?
Speaker 2: And it seems like I don't think they know, but it's I'm I'm glad that at least to hear that it wasn't as bad, like the whole structure wasn't damaged.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I was definitely like the pictures of seeing people's faces, it just it was. It was, honestly. I mean so many people were just like outside watching and they just looked just devastated, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of like the equivalent.
Speaker 1: I was trying to think of a house of worship where I was like or just even just like a structure in general that people would be devastated, like oh my goodness. And I really I don't know that we have any the equivalent to that.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I mean it wasn't a terror attack. He can't really equate it to the World Trade Center. But Empire of State building a statue of liberty. You know, they're not of worship, but they're iconic.
Speaker 1: But I feel like it's a statue of liberty caught fire because you know what it is, Because it's not like I feel like the statue of liberty I don't know. I mean, it's not like housing these like you know, antiquities of like seventeen seventy. You know. I feel like with the Statue of Liberty, we'd be like, whoa the statue of Liberty, but they put it back up, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's all selling. Jesus Christ wore the crown that's on her head, Like they saved this crown that apparently Jesus himself wore, you know, say, I was like, I didn't know they still had his crown.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Yeah, that's what I mean that I think what it was. It's like there's just so much history that's there that you know, but you know, it's so crazy that you know, like that gets that gets so much pressed. But you know, not too long ago, there was a house of worship. I can't remember what Middle Eastern country, but it was the equivalent of that, you know, in that country, and it didn't get the same amount of obviously like press, but I remember people were like devastated because it was like an extremely important house of worship that is is purposely destroyed, you know, and people were like standing outside like just beside themselves, and it's just a shame that. I mean not to take away from what happened in Notre Dame, but I'm just saying that there, you know, there are or civilizations, and there are people whose history is destroyed on a regular basis, and in the world, you know, turns a blind eye.
Speaker 2: You know, well look at what happened in New Zealand. I mean, there's so many examples of houses of worship being a target of hate crimes and you know, truly devastating ones. So at this point, it just sounds like it was like some kind of fire that was caused during a renovation process, which is even more ironic and tragicy. But I guess there's a bit of gratitude in that. Okay, thank god people, you know, someone wasn't evil to attack Notre Dame. Like anyway, just thoughts and prayers with the fireman who went into that blazing church and somehow managed to rescue it, and like that was amazing. Yeah, I'm sure that, I'm sure they will they will rebuild. It will probably take a long time.
Speaker 1: But there was already a billionaire who who's Who's pledge one hundred million dollars, which is awesome. So the renovation. So yeah, so while I was gone, one of the things I put myself because I was like, okay, so tax season is finally done, thank you Jesus. I mean unless you filed your extension and then you've extended the misery. Sorry is due exactly? Yeah, yeah, tax season is all exactly, it's already done. But it made me really look at like, okay, what can I do better? And so I am firing my current financial planner.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Frank.
Speaker 1: He definitely listen to the podcast.
Speaker 2: So whatever. I've never heard Frank's name before, I.
Speaker 1: Know exactly because Frank doesn't do much. So he started off great and then he's just you know, fizzled, and I'm like, Frank, hello, Hello, let's just thing on. And so that's like my pet peeve. It's like, you know, you get my money and then you disappear. And so honestly, you know, I didn't even know what I wanted. So I'll tell you what's been very helpful. I actually created this document where Jerrell and I sat down, Oh Superman well whatever y'all know his name probably Superman and I sat down and kind of talked about like, well one I said, I think it'll be important for our current financial planner or our new financial planner to know where we stand, because they always ask the same questions. You know, how much you make? How about this? How much you haven't saved things? What about retirement? So I put all of that down in this dock, and then I put like underneath it, like so current situation, and then I have our goals, like, you know, within the next five years, we would like to be financially independent. We'd like to make one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year, like as a household passively, you know, because we make that more now, but we work for that so passively our money yielding that what we have to do. We'd like to maximize because I set aside money for all my nieces and nephews and my godson. But I'd like to be more strategic with like so we have a whole list of things, and not that a financial advisor. It might be a mix of people that will help. But I wanted to get out like what our goals were, long term and short term, and it's been so helpful. I put in a Google doc and then I posted and this is just I'm sharing this with you all BA listeners, because if you're looking for a financial advisor, I would suggest figuring out first well, first creating a document or where do you stand? And then what your goals are long term, short term or otherwise. And then what I did is I put in a Google doc and with Google Docs you can share, share, create a link to share. So I posted on like these financial Facebook groups I'm a part of and said, hey, looking for a financial planner. I wanted a fee own So financial planners you want to explain Many like the difference between like fee and like someone who gets paid based upon your portfolio.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, a fee only planner, a fee based planner. They'll just charge you, like an hourly rate or a flat rate to take a look at your finances, and they may do it every time you have a conversation, or they may charge you a flat rate for an overall financial plan that costs you a certain amount, and then they charge you an hourly rate moving forward. But you always know upfront what their fees are going to be. Other financial advisors may tie their pay to the type of investments that they point you toward, where they're getting a kickback or a fee attached to the investments that they push you toward. Oh dang, didn't put my phone on silent rookie mistake. Or they're getting a bit of the fee from the investment they point you toward. Or they're taking a percentage this is very common, a percentage of the returns they help you earn by giving you investment advice, which is pretty common.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I am like so in the beginning, like typically if you don't if you can't afford the fee, which is fine, because I like I couldn't up until like recently that or I just didn't want to pay the fee, or so you know, people, I allowed financial advisors to to make their money up from a percentage of my portfolio what they helped me to earn. But I've since moved away from that, and I really just want to pay a flat fee. And quite honestly, I'm sick and tired of handing my money over because I'm like all these fees on fees on fees on fees, Like I'd much rather say, hey, planner, you know whatever you charged me two hundred dollars safe to sit down me for this hour. Here's some questions that I have. I'm gonna put my I'm going to open up, say like a Vanguard account or account, I don't know whatever, you know, one of these accounts, but you can manage your own money. Let's just say Banguard. Like I said, I'm going to open up a Vanguard account. I'm thinking of a total stock market fund, which is Vanguard has this account where they the fund mirrors the S and P five hundred, so that as a very well known US market, the top five hundred companies in the United States, right, and so well top meaning like earning and so you know, you're their fund will basically invest your money into like those companies. And so it's an index fund, so literally like an indexes. You know, it's like a list of like I'm not talking to you obviously, Mandy, but those listening and an index fund and indexes like if you're looking at the index of the back of the book, a list of like like you know, maybe like I don't know words inside that book. So an index fund is a kind of like a list of all of these companies. And so I might ask my planner, you know, is this a good idea to put my money in an index fund to mirror the market, because typically the stock market goes up over time, although there's ups and downs, there's ups and downs on its way up. How you know what percentage of my money should I put there? Should I put my money also in a total market bond fund, which is a little bit safer, you know as much, but you also don't have to pretend you to lose as much. Just these kind of questions, and you know, you might be like, what's the bond? What's the stock exactly? So I really just want someone who I can ask questions of, take my own money and based upon, you know, the responses and the information that I get, make decisions with like my money, and not feel like I'm just handing my money over because I feel like that's what I've been doing. And I'm not gonna pretend like, you know, some of my financial planners have not made me money. I mean, it's not that Frank hasn't made me any money, but I honestly don't know what's going on, you know what I mean? Mandy, I'm like, so what are we doing? He doesn't answer when I text, or I'm like, are we supposed to have calls? Isn't it what I paid this flat fee for and if I look like I looked at my portfolio for twenty eighteen and I made I mean, I made a decent return. I think maybe like ten or twelve percent something like that. So it's not like I'm losing money, but I don't, like did I?
Speaker 2: But I just have a damn target date fund and no funny, no advice exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's what I feel like. Honestly, I feel like, great, you know, but can I just put exactly? I was thinking that, like, why can't I just put my money in the target date fund? Why do I have to pay you rank? And then I'll save money and fees, you know.
Speaker 2: And because I'm and you han, I think that what you're looking for is a financial planner who can bring value in other ways beyond like return because I think like if you look at actively managed funds, like basically in investment firms that manage your money for you versus like just putting your money in an index fund, a lot of times the index fund wins out. So you have to find people who add value beyond the returns and don't believe them if they say they can, Oh, I can do double what the S and P did last you're like, no, that's bullshit. And you know, ask people what they can give you beyond just the regular return that anyone would expect, because you have to keep those realistic expectations and people who won't like oversell you.
Speaker 1: And that's what I'm like, I'm wanting like that, like you know, like yes, like because beyond that that could literally be one conversation. Well, typically this is my favorite index fund because here's why the fees are low and blah blah blah. And I'm like, okay, but I want more, like I want like, I want to offer value to my employees. I want to be able to give them a retirement account. I can't do that on my own. There are financial planners and advisors that can help me with that, you know. Yeah, So I'm just excited about interviewing. So I literally I think I posted and like I said, I created the doc and I sent everybody the same message. It was like fifteen maybe fifteen people that reached out to me, and I was like, hey, thank you so much for reaching out. You know, I've created a document to help give you a clear understanding of where my husband and I are and where we'd like to be you know, please review. And in the dock it was clear, like, you know, how I wanted to work with the person, like I would like to pay hourly. I don't want. I want to manage my own money, so that way people could eliminate themselves. And of the fifteen, I would say there's probably five people that are viable. Some people eliminated themselves because they're like, oh, I don't do fee only or I only, you can only pay me yearly, and I'm like, nah, that yearly is I want to pay you hourly because if you suck, I've only paid for one hour, you know. So I'm excited though, because I feel like this is like the next frontier. I've got a dope accountant and CFO and so I just want to kind of like a personal CFO of my life. So I'm excited, and I'll keep you guys abreast of, like, you know, how the interviews go and who I end up choosing. And even if I don't choose someone in their dope, you know, I plant I can obviously share some of the amazing people that I was able to connect with, because that's another desire of mine, is to kind of like create a list of dope financial experts because people ask me all the time, like what do you suggest for this, and I can be like, well, I interviewed her, she was great. Wasn't a fit for me because I needed more business assistants, but she might be a fit for you.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, I'll be waiting those those recommendations like everybody else do the work force, Like seeing those commercials for Home Advisor where it's like, do you know a good contract or cool? Could you vet them for me and get different rate schedules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's why I was like, you know, I'm excited though, because I'm like, yay, I just you know, you know, you're on the cusp of like, uh, this could need to be really good. I feel like it's like the mc hammer. I mean it's like, ooh, there was like this short period in his career where like money was booming and he mismanaged, and I'm like, ooh, I don't want to do the mc hammer syndrome. I want that, you know, like I you know, I make right moves now, so ten years from now, I can be like Ooho, even if the budgets is not popping, you know, I'm still good financially.
Speaker 2: Now, that is the goal to build up an My goal to build up an investment fund that is just generating income on income on income without you doing anything. That's something Mike Marcus and I were talking about last week too. He has his own goals for how much he wants to have like invested, so he's making passive income. So next level exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Speaking of questions though, should we take some.
Speaker 1: Yes, I actually have a really good question where I'm like, Yike just came of my inbox, and I'm going to try to read it in a non judging voice, and I SA, yes it is. And then too, I'm also going to, uh, you know, I'm not going to obviously share this person's name. Okay, So good evening. I co signed a super loan via s DA Ali May for a d quote friend. My question is is there a way that I can be released from the loan. I'm asking because my son starts college in the fall and I might need to get a loan for him, and I'm also planning and purchasing a home at the end of the year. Signed, what should I do?
Speaker 2: Like, unless you are a parent co signing, you know your daughter or son's student loan. The answer, I feel like nine and a half times out of ten is going to be no, because you were just putting you were making yourself so vulnerable and so liable. If that, you know, the person on the other end of that loan, whether their friend or family, no matter what their good intentions are, if they default in their loan, then that is your problem. One hundred. She can't go back, she can't undo it. So what steps can she take now to you know, reach her financial goals while also being tied to this the student loan. Does she mention if it's federal or I'm assuming it, Well, it might be, it could be federal, but probably more likely is it private?
Speaker 1: I was going to say, it's probably more likely private because typically with federal, unless it's like higher education, you usually don't need a co signer, yeah, for for your for your what's called degree, unless it's like masters or something.
Speaker 2: So let's say it's a private student loan, she's co signed. There's a couple of ways, so you could ask your friend to rEFInd it.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, yeah, this loan, which.
Speaker 2: Means she'd have to apply for a new loan and use that loan to pay off her existing loan, and in the process, she'd be the only applicant for that loan, so that would take you off of it. Some lenders like if she contacted the bank, she could ask what their process is for removing a co signer. It may be that she has to prove financial worthiness, income assets, credit score, and basically another form of refinancing the debt to get you off of it. But if she needed you to co sign in the first place, or she or he, it may be that they're not financially I don't know stable enough to qualify for a different loan, but that's that's the only avenue I can think of.
Speaker 1: Well, and well, I'm going to make the assumption that you did this a while ago, only because I'm assuming that if your son's schooling was coming up fairly soon, you likely wouldn't have co signed so quickly to his college opportunity coming up. You can also consider consolidating your loan with other loans that you may have. That's kind of a way. So typically to do refinancing or even consolidating with another loans because we're not consolidating, is not a good idea. If you are refinancing if you have a federal loan, because then you lose like kind of federal loan protections. But we're assuming this is private because they needed a co signer, But the bar is gonna need basic credit history, stable employment, and really enough income to prove enough income, like many said, to cover the monthly payments, because the purpose of having a co signer from someone who's lending is I don't know that you can afford it, but between you and your friend, you can afford it. And so if your friend is gone, I don't know if you can afford it. So basically your friend would have to kind of prove, hey, I can afford it now, and I don't necessarily need this co signer, So refinancing or consolidating with another loan, those are kind of your only two options. But if you're listening and someone is kind of asking you to co sign honestly, it's just not because just like you know, what should I do?
Speaker 3: Ask?
Speaker 1: What should I do? Is also wanting to purchase a home, and so this is debt for this person, and so when you're purchasing a home, they're going to out see, like one, how much are you making? But then two, how much do you owe and your debt to income ratio DTI number that you know that's important to lend us because they're like, well, if you already owe fifty thousand dollars here you want us to lend you three hundred thousand. We only feel comfortable lending you to fifty because you already owe somebody else fifty thousand dollars. So it's just keeping all of that in mind before co signing. It's just it's rarely, rarely ever a good idea.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent. And if she's she says she's looking to take out a or co sign alone for her kid, right a student alone, you know, check with your student. And again like this another another good opportunity to remind folks like if they need a co signer, I mean, double check if they've maxed out their federal student aid and even you know, if you're I don't know. I feel like at this point in time, with the way the cost of college is, if you're having to take out a private loan to fund your education on top of the federal loans, is all that debt worth the degree? And like taking a look at the cost of that college and is there are there any scholarships he could or he or she could apply for any grants, any aid or are there any other avenues of financing that tuition for this year? You know, without you you needed to co sign. If she's looking to do it this false. I'm assuming they've they're you know, like a like a high school senior and they're going to school for the first time. There's still time to look for a more affordable school. You know. Think about what you're setting your kid up for post graduation in four more years. How much debt they will have?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what should I do? Hope you have your AUSA. Do you want to take another question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got another question. Let me see. So this actually came from one of my family members. I went and visited some family over the weekend, and of course, after I destroyed them and I mean destroyed them in yacht sie several times, one of my family members asked me, you know, because they're about to get a windfall from their employer, and they wanted to know because they just took out a mortgage a couple of years ago, and they wanted to know, should I take this windfall and apply it to my mortgage debt, because you know, I've always been debt free. The mortgage was the only dead I have right now. Cars paid off. You know, this is someone in their in their in their late twenties. Cars paid off, no car note, no student debt, just a mortgage. Should I take the windfall and paid off? And it's a significant sum. So no, it's not from our reader inbox. But that was the question. Good question the way that I oh.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Since I already gave the answer, it's too late, really, but I figured for that person. But for you guys, if you're wondering now that I have a mortgage, I feel like, you know, the first thing I asked him was what was what's your interest rate on your mortgage? And yeah, say that, Yeah, it's something like four point zero percent because you got it, yeah, over a couple of years ago when rates were really low, you know. And I said, take a look at your four oh one k take you know, log into your He never logged into his retirement plan at work. Log in and tell me what your annualized rate of return was for twenty for the last year, like year to date, how much have you earned on your investment. It was something like thirteen percent twelve or thirteen points.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good, yeah, which.
Speaker 2: You know, this was a really it was kind of an up and down year. It was like a big crash last year in the beginning of the year, but then the market rebounded. But I was like, take a look at the percent you're earning on your little four to one k investment, which was I think he has some kind of target date fund, and then take a look at what you're earned, what you're paying on your mortgage rate. And for that reason, I think one of the first things you should consider is putting more towards your retirement fund. With the you know, with a mid year kind of windfall like that, it's not like you can your market to max out your four to one K, But I said, what you could do is open up a ROTH individual retirement account. So Roth's IRA. Max that out. Do you think it's sixty five hundred for the year something like that?
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: And this is also someone who doesn't have a huge emergency fund, and I said, get comfortable with your emergency fund, so max out what you think you need for six months or whatnot, and then think about opening a brokerage account with the leftovers, and you can invest in the same types of funds that you're four one k's invested in. You can just do that on your own with a you know, a tax attacked brokerage account through E Trade or Vanguard or whatever. There's a million options. But you know, rushing to pay off the mortgage even though it's debt, and this is something that I thought about too, Even though it's debt, you have to think about, Okay, well, what's the value of the home, what's your equity. It's not like it's debt that's like a credit card debt that has no value for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was honestly that you couldn't have given a more perfect answer. I was thinking that because no, but I get it, because you know, you and I are both like debt averse, so you know, I get it where you're like, I don't know what this at, but if the debt's costing you, Like I had to make that decision with my student loans when I was aggressively paying them off and then I had to stop because at some point I really was looking at a tiffany your student loan indust rate. This is before you know, on the fullestness that y'all are paying now, my student loan interest rate was like three percent. I was like, Tiffany, you are losing three percent, you know, to student loans, right, but and looking at your retirement account, you're gaining ten twelve percent, so you can pay off the student loans, so you can stop losing three. But then you missed out on the opportunity to gain ten. And what I ended up doing, anyway, is I just started paying student loans the minimum and I put the money toward my business instead, because I realized that that my return on investment from the Bunjanista was even better than my retirement account. And I grew my six figure a year business, my low six figure business, to a multiphole seven figure of your business. So and then last year I had more than enough to say, hey, I have a lump sum. My student loan debt was like fifty three thousand dollars. I have a lump sum to pay the student loan debt. But that was like seven years in the making, you know, So it wasn't it just it made more sense to use that money to make money than to use that money to pay off debt, because debt free is not wealth. Wealth can make you debt free.
Speaker 2: Though, one hundred thousand percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know it's a little bit of a short episode. You know, we're gonna dip our baby tow in do we have brown break brown.
Speaker 2: Boost always I've missed this sole segment. It wasn't the same without you brown boosting and brown breaking.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna say ladies first. Meanwhile I'm a lady, but go ahead, and youth with more beauty for age. I don't know, just go ahead. You can round break around boost ters.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. This is what I've been complaining about for a while now. If you're out there hiring right now, I just want to, you know, raise a glass of wine to you and say clink, because it is so hard finding good job candidates and people continue because right now, the the job market is so good. I mean, everyone's got jobs. So if you're looking for help, like you're looking for people, whether it's freelance or full time, it's a struggle because you're in the position of needing to poach people. And often when you're poaching people, it's sort of like when they say it's a seller's market or buyer's market when it comes to housing right now, I feel like it's a buyer's market. So it's an employees market where you have people like me who are looking to find really talented people, but you already have jobs. So there's there's it's driving up the cost of labor, so people you're needing to pay people a lot more than usual because you need to like lure them away from jobs that they may be happy at. You know, then may be like yeah, fine with and you know a lot of people have gotten jobs in the last couple of years, so it's not like they've been there very long. So it's just a struggle. And one of the things that you know, it's just it's just part of you know, what it is hiring, And in spite of it, I've still managed to put together a really strong team. But you know, as any manager, like the recruitment never ends. I feel like I'm always trying to fill one role for whatever reason. But one thing, like a piece of advice I would give from my experience hiring the past few years, is like, if you are in a job, if you're in the job interview process and you're toward the end so either you're about to get an offer, or you've gotten an offer, or you're in the final interview round. At that point, if you decide to withdraw from the the you know, you decide to turn down the offer or withdraw yourself from the interview process, send a note to the hiring manager personally. And I say this because I've had candidates who I've invested a lot of time myself in and pushed for and they've turned around and withdrawn or turned out an offer. But just send an email to the random recruiter who they emailed, like maybe in the beginning of the process, maybe even not if I was the first person to reach out to them. And as much as I know I'm not supposed to be offended, it really like kind of pisses me off. It makes me feel disrespected that they wouldn't take the time to send a personal note, you know, thinking me for the time or whatever. And also I'm still hiring right, so if in the future this person you know, wanted to be employed or wanted to to follow back up about another position, like, don't you want to leave the interview process in the best possible with the best possible you know, tone and like leaving the right taste on someone's mouth afterward, you know. So that's that's my advice. I do the same thing in return. I make sure you know, I was on vacation on Friday and I called two candidates to turn to tell them personally that that we were not moving forward with their applications or you know, for the jobs, because I wanted to give them the treatment that I that I, you know, prize and respect from candidates in return. So that's just my that's my break and my advice. If you are like, it's smart, you know, if you have a job right now, and if people are reaching out to you. I get emails personally from recruiters all the time. So and so was hiring this. You know, are you interested if you take those calls, if you entertain those offers just because you're trying to see what else is out there and see how much money someone might be able to pay you, but you have no intention of taking the job. Think about what might happen if you let it go very far and then bow out of that. You know, at the very end, when someone's invested time, When you think about that, your reputation and your reputation professionally. And also I'm not saying it's not smart to do that. I'm not an idiot. Like, the only way I was able to catch up and actually earn what you know, a market salary because I was hired at the bottom of the recession, when people when the rates were so low for people doing what I was doing, the only way I could catch up with my peers was to job hop. Stand it. It's smart, but you have to do it in a respectful way. Yeah, you're not burning those bridges because they're all comment over. Yes, one hundred percent. Yes, and especially in a small world like personal finance, journalism.
Speaker 1: Get up. But my sister said that she was in a she was a scientist in pharmaceuticals, and she was like, I can't. She literally went from Jersey to Chicago to hear it, and she's like, I'm seeing the same people like around the country and she was like, WHOA, If I pissed these people off, this would have been like a really bad you know. And so so mine is really just a quick little boost. My boost is just for the first time. I tried to rent the runway.
Speaker 3: For the first time.
Speaker 2: Hello, twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: I know. I mean you no, I'm not an early adapter, let's say, and so you know, because I mean I'm you know, fairly frugal, and you know, I'm just doing more and more speaking engagements, and I'm like, oh, I like I'm either having to like run get like a new dress, which I don't spend a whole lot of money on dresses. I would say I averaged probably like forty fifty bucks. But still you think about like I might have three engagements in a week, and I'm like, well, unless I'm re wearing the same thing over and over and after a while, you know, I have maybe like ten fifteen staple dresses, which sounds like a lot until you say you've done fifteen things whether it's TV or whatever in a month, and then you're like, well, what do I wear next month? So I decided to try it. I have to say that my first crop was already awesome. I picked four dresses I'm doing like the Unlimited, and three of them were a hit. I was like, wow, three of them fit well. One was I didn't realize it was a split. I needed to read the directions, like, like the description a little more. I was like, ooh, this is too sezy for the sake for the stage. But it was still cute, so I had to say, I'm really pleased, and yeah, I like it. I love the packaging that it comes in. It's super easy to use, and yeah, I really want to buy less clothes. I just want to be able to wear it, be cute and then send it back. So rent the one way. I know I'm late, but whatever, I'm just getting a boost because you know, I had not tried it yet.
Speaker 2: I know it's been in medicine. I've used to actually forgot about it. I'm like thinking, dang, it's been I used to use it all the time. I should get back on it. You're right, it's annoying to have to buy new stuff. Yeah, I'm just teasing you.
Speaker 1: It's fine, It's okay, but I'm like, you know, I'm a little late. I was like, what even like the place at my office, there's like a young receptionist she can't be more than like eighteen nineteen, and I was like, oh my god, I'm getting my first rent the runway. She looked at me like, girl, are you like, where have you been living in the cage? That was like what the front desk. Girl uses fout the runway. She's like girl all the time, and I was like, oh, well whatever, So yeah, that's my, that's my, that's napist. So I know it's time to say goodbye to all our family. B r own Ambition. I'm so glad to have you back to It's great to be back, honestly.
Speaker 2: Hope you feel lovely and rested your little staycation. As goals for me, I'm hoping to do something this summer, finally take a little break.
Speaker 3: Good good, Just let me now.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, that's the show. I forgot to mention it, but if you have questions, hit us up Brand Ambition Podcasts at gmail dot com, or you can go to our website brandhibition podcast dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll see you on the interwebs.