Speaker 1: So Sabrina, we always start our shows with this little chit chat at the beginning and just kind of asking random questions. But with this movie and with this franchise, I think we just have to jump right in. I think we've got to jump in two feet. There's no pre show. There's no need, there's no there's no need, there's no need. So I'm gonna start by saying, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS, and your popcorn. Go back to time when all the houses are smart, the way tsunamis in the high school musicals. That out of the way. Okay, we got a special one this week. I'm just gonna jump into it, and then and then we'll and then we'll get into the bigger picture, because we got a special one this week. We are tackling a franchise that helped define modern day Disney Channel. That is not high herbally, that is not overreach, that is absolutely the truth, and some could argue it affected pop culture as a whole. And we are talking two thousand and nine's Hannah Montana, the movie, a family musical extension of the hit TV show We're just gonna start with a very brief history of how we got to the movie. So, Hannah Montana the TV show ran for four seasons on the Channel two thousand and six to twenty eleven, and it's centered around Miley Stewart, played by a young Miley Cyrus, known at the time as a one hit wonder country star. Billy Ray Cyrus's daughter, and he also played her dad on the show. Her mom passed away in Hannah Montana, but of course, in real life, her mom is alive and well and even has a podcast now. Miley Stewart is a fourteen year old girl living at double life as a typical middle schooler. Then she graduates to high school starting in season two. The whole premise is she is anonymously experiencing a suburban existence, but also moonlighting as Hannah Montana, an internationally famous pop singer. The difference between the two wig a wig. That's it. That's the difference. Same face, longer blonde hair, Sabrina. How are we supposed to? I mean, are you? Are you okay with this? Is my question?
Speaker 2: Look, I got to be at the the the big you know, the big conference where they go and they do all of the new shows that are coming. I was there when they the upfronts, thank you. I was there when they exposed Hannah Montana like that what we were doing the Cheetah Girls right at that time. And yeah, of course you're going, I mean, it's a wig, right, it's a it's a wig. But when you watch the show, for some reason, at least for me, it works.
Speaker 1: Okay, it works.
Speaker 2: In the the age range of the demo that's going for it works will and it doesn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't at all. No, No, I don't. No, I don't, nor will I. No, I don't. It's the same reason I don't like Superman is because you have to be an idiot to live in the world of Superman. You're a reporter. He's your best friend, but you put on a pair of glasses and you don't recognize him. You have to, you're literally a reporter. It's the same thing with her best friend. You're telling me that that that Taylor Swift is your best friend, and she's sitting here across from you, but she has red hair. You don't know it's Taylor Swift. Miley Cyrus, the person with the most like her nose and her mouth are so distinct.
Speaker 3: Her voice is so distinct, so true, but even her best friend doesn't recognize her because because she goes from brown to blonde, and that's the whole change. Oh, it hurt my feelings and it made me feel bad for the up and coming generations.
Speaker 1: It did so okay. I mean, I know, I know for a fact that I'm supposed to watch these things as a kid. I get that I'm supposed to put myself in the mindset of the children. I totally children. I totally get that. I got a wonderful chuckle out of looking at my wife yesterday and saying, well, I'm a forty eight year old man, it's noon on a Thursday. I've got to go watch Hannah Montana. I get that it's ridiculous and it's crazy. I totally understand that I do. But come on, that's the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I know. I get it as far as the disguise and you, especially in the worlds that you love to live in, with the magic and the rules, and I get it. It's it definitely breaks all of that. However, I think the main point of it is this idea of being a to have this second life that no one really knows about I get kids buy into. I don't think kids looked and went I don't think they didn't ask themselves, how does their best friends not know? How did? I don't think that that was not actual reality for viewers. I think what was more of a thing for them was this magical idea of having this second life that no one else knew. And not only is it a second life no one else knew, but you're a pop star like you are famous, all the claws, all the things. You're dancing and singing on its stage like.
Speaker 1: You couldn't you couldn't do a Lady Gaga thing. You couldn't do it? Was it? See it? Whatever? You can't do the thing where it's like half their face is covered. You can't wear a mask that I can't wear. Just can't do something that might have been.
Speaker 2: And it's weird that Disney didn't think of that before these artists, right, because usually Disney's ahead of the head of the head of the world. But I just, I mean, honestly, and listen, I think they banked on kids not carring and guess what they won because kids didn't care.
Speaker 1: I know that. Well, again, you have to be a kid. This is where I as I could not get into the mindset of a kid in this one. I could not. I did not buy the basic premise, and so since I did not buy the basic premise, everything afterwards, I like, I will buy the premise of the whole family is wizards. I'll buy that all day long. Right if you set it up that that you're hiding the fact that they're wizards, and oh my god, but if the whole thing is you've got to hide in plain sight, so your hair slightly changes color and now Noah, like, can you tell this is me? Can you? I'm not, but I don't have my headphones on. How do you know it's me? I'm jack.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is gonna be hurt anywhere it.
Speaker 1: Hurts me, Sabrina. Now that being said, some of the music was okay, okay, that's what I would say. It just not I. Again, I didn't buy the premise. I could not get into the mindset, and so because of that, that's my fault. I get it. I get that it's on.
Speaker 2: So we were told or it was, you know, a good suggestion for us to watch the first episode of the first.
Speaker 1: Season, which I did like Disney. All the acting was good. Yeah, you know, you get the synergy with them. It was a very grand movie. It was very pretty. I had no problem that the guest cast that they brought in phenomenal. They had great people. Holy hell, I don't I don't buy it.
Speaker 2: All the guest cast they have.
Speaker 1: I need to know great.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh my god, I want to go into the black hole of the internet to figure out what were all they got sidebar reasons that these celebrities joined this movie because this guest cast was unreal.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was great.
Speaker 2: It was and they kept popping up the entire movie and you're going, oh, oh my god. And then what, oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Now did you recognize did you know that that was Tyra Banks? Because she was wearing a different shirt than on her regular show, So were you able to tell that was her? Because that could throw you?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm good.
Speaker 2: If you can tell you this podcast with.
Speaker 1: This man, that's all right. You can do it with Jack. Now we can get through it.
Speaker 2: Come on, Sabrina, all right, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Here we go. All right. The show itself deals with all the normal personal issues a teenager would face, but throw in the fear that a secret pop star identity could be exposed at any moment, and you never know what's gonna happen again. All this because she is wearing a wig now with the help of her family and best friends Lillian Oliver, who all know the secret after she had to tell them, not like they went, hey, that's you, You're just in a wig. She manages to balance the duality of a personalities while dealing with the theme of staying true to oneself.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: After the success of Say the Cheetah Girls and High School Musical, Disney wanted to keep the streak alive for pop music TV, and so this was a course of logical next step. And remember we even get a small pre superstart of Miley. Cyrus cameo at the end of High School Musical two We went back, She was dancing at the thing. Totally bought High school music. A whole bunch of people getting together for the summer and dancing and singing to songs that they had not any possible way they could all know and choreograph bought that more than this. The show debuted in March of two thousand and six and was a very quick hit in its time, with five point four million viewers, it was the most watched premiere episode in Disney history. Amazing, and this made Miley, of course an instant face for the brand. One episode Me and mister Jonas and mister Jonas and mister Jonas great title which I'll let you guess. The pop act that made a cameo had a whopping ten point seven million viewers. That is not just good for Disney Channel, that's good for anything, really impressive. So naturally, in two thousand and eight, the show spawned a concert film, Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus Best of Both Worlds, where Miley performed as both herself and Hannah Montana. Wait, so Miley and Hannah are the same person. I couldn't tell because of the hair color. A duo that had at this point locked itself to the front of popular culture. So of course this was a big thing, and so the following year, in two thousand and eight, they released this movie, and then the show concluded in twenty eleven. So this film is of course at the height of Hannah Mania, or what I like to call Hannah Montana. Thank you very much. Tons of merchandise was released like jewelry, toys, soundtracks and yes the wig. Oh these parents must have woke it up and been like, where's my child and what is this blonde person doing in her bed? They were all sold its stores nationwide and she even sold out many a tour MSNBC. This is amazing. Estimated the Hannah Montana franchise was worth one billion dollars by the end of two thousand and eight. That's billion with a beefolks.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The show was created by Michael Pores, who had already found success for Disney Channel with the show That's So Raven, which he also created. Talk about a one two punch for the Disney Channel. And here is some very good news. We're gonna be able to talk to him about how he did all of this stuff because he will be joining us. Yes, Michael will be joining us for our Park Copper episode this week, so please make sure to listen to that because he is a true Disney icon.
Speaker 6: God.
Speaker 1: Now I can't wait. Oh, I can't seriously, and I can tell you we are we are recording this before we record talking to him. I have a number of questions, most of them about the wig. I'm kidding you. I can't wait that way.
Speaker 2: For more than two seconds. Will I'm gonna drive over.
Speaker 1: Just make sure you don't change your hair color so I know who you are when you knock on my door. Okay, so let's get into the movie, and I'm trying. I'm just gonna put myself right into the movie and for get that none of this makes sense. So one big difference when compared to other dcoms, and it's more obvious than just the wig. It debuted on April tenth, two thousand and nine, in theaters. Yes, that's right. It eventually ended up on the Channel in November of that year, but it started out at your local multiplex. Remember that, everybody, when we go to movie theaters. Not technically a dcom, I guess if you take that into consideration. But it's a spinoff of a Disney Channel TV show and was funded by Disney Pictures, so we're gonna let it slide.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Disney Pictures, the budget for the Hannah Montana movie was wait for it, thirty million dollars and a big reason why they had much higher hopes and theater dreams for this film. At the end. Ready for This, it grossed one hundred and fifty five million dollars worldwide. Wow, that's a lot of money, and that does not include the sixty one million it made to date from the DVD and Blu Ray sales. This was just a juggernaut. There were also, and this was one of my favorite favorite things ever, there were seven video games based on Hannah Montana, one even for this movie. It involved mini games like horse riding and bottle toss, and the Xbox version got a dismal twenty five out of one hundred score on Metacritic. Maybe they realized the wig wasn't enough. Filming of the movie took place between Los Angeles and Nashville, Tennessee, where the Cyrus family lived, and took three months to film. Long time to do this movie. If you know anything about the Disney Channel at the time of this movie's release, you know they really really cared about soundtracks and this one did not let them down. The Hannah Montana Movie Soundtrack was a number one album in the US and went certified platinum. Wow. The songs all play a big part of the movie, with tons of tracks by both Miley and Hannah Montana, which again putting all the ridiculousness aside, it's seriously a brilliant move by Disney and the Channel because essentially you get two pop stars for the price of a nine dollars wig very impressive, and.
Speaker 2: It's an easy show to do. It's an easy show to do quickly. I mean it honestly is brilliant. I have just that like I mean, because it was there right in front of me watching them. You're just going, Holy.
Speaker 1: Cow, it's brilliant. It's a huge swing and a miss if no one buys it. But when everybody does, oh my god, you're a genius. And everyone did. Everyone did one hundred percent. So yes, the songs all play a very big part in the movie, with tons of tracks, like I said, by both Miley and Hannah weaving in and out of their identities, but it also includes songs by her dad Rascal Flats. Okay, I want to make sure there's a comment in between there. I don't want people to think Miley Cyrus's dad is Rascal Flats, because that's a bunch of different people. By her dad, Comma and then Rascal Flats and two songs from Taylor Swift, who also appeared in the movie. Did you remember that she was in the movie. Yes, oh you did.
Speaker 2: No, I mean when I watched it this time. Yes, I had not really seen the movie, I know. Okay, this was my first time actually seeing this movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, can I tell.
Speaker 2: You every when Rascal Flats came on, I went, oh my, because Rascal Flats at that time was giant. They were like a huge group bringing country music really into the mainstream.
Speaker 1: They were on the soundtrack for Cars too, for like this highway Life is a.
Speaker 2: Highway was a giant move, a giant song, the song Broken Road. I mean, it just was like and then te Swift comes on stage and you're I'm like going, holy cow. I mean I was good with Vanessa Williams was with her, and Tyra Bank's coming on. That was good, and then I just kept coming. Well.
Speaker 1: It showed how popular the show was where I'm sure your kids loved it or and this was just a juggernaut. It was me again, Superman most popular superhero of all time. That's so, I mean, it is I'm saying it is what it is. If you buy the premise, it's great. If you don't, then you just kind of sit there and going, I don't get it, and again, I'm watching as a forty eight year old man, so tough for me to get the premise, but I got where everybody was coming from. Anyway. The best known song from the movie is most likely The Climb, which was my Lea's lead single from the album, which also charted. Did you own the soundtrack? Was this something that you listened to quite a bit?
Speaker 2: No, I was in my mid twenties, right, Yeah, that's what I figured. She when she was first coming out, she actually toured with us. She was an opening act, so I knew all her songs because when I was getting ready, I was hearing them every night for a while. So and I loved her songs. But when you know, this movie came out was a little bit after, and I didn't own the soundtrack.
Speaker 1: But I mean, was she nice to tour with?
Speaker 4: She was?
Speaker 2: She was so cute. She was awesome, and her family was all there, you know, it was it was really, it was awesome. It was like a family a family gig, you know, And it was really.
Speaker 1: That's not really her brother, is it. That's not?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no no no, I should look at the credits more closely.
Speaker 1: I was just I was so focused. She did.
Speaker 2: It caught me after because she did. She did have a little brother and he was on he was in on tour with us.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's cool though. Yeah, okay, So yes, the Hannah Montana Show and this movie were two of Disney Channel's most popular launch titles, so you best believe that they are still there. So you can go check out the movie now before you dive into the podcast, or you can watch it later, but make sure you wear a wig while you're doing it or everyone will find out your secret. All right, let's get into it. We've talked about it, your history of Hannah Montana. You hadn't seen the movie. Did you watch the show? No?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean honestly, I just I felt like I did. I honestly could have if you convinced me, probably easily. I could have been convinced, but because it was around me so much, but it was just not at that time, Like I wasn't watching the channel a lot, right, you know?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: But I knew the premise, I knew all the actors. That the person that caught me off guard the most, and I remember him saying this when we interviewed him Corbyn Blues showing up right on that first episode.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey, friend of the podcast, corn it Is.
Speaker 2: And he talked about it in our interview, but I totally didn't realize it was honest, he was great.
Speaker 1: It did look like he was twenty when they were eleven, But yeah, he did look a lot old, which I don't think he was necessarily maybe a couple of years, but it shows you the difference between being like actually sixteen and being thirteen or whatever they were. It's a big difference at that age. He did just look like he was three grades ahead of them. But anyway he.
Speaker 2: Looked he looked beefy because all of them were so little inscribed.
Speaker 1: Ye beef he did. He did from growing up dancing your whole life to good XU guy. Okay, so obviously I won't even get into what I knew about Hannah Montana. I knew what everybody knew. You knew it was a juggernaut. You knew that it was in the Zeitgeis. It's like high school musical. It was. It was ubiquitous in that everyone had heard of it, but I had never seen it or knew anything. But I knew it was Miley Cyrus. Obviously, I think I knew that Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana were two characters, like she played both characters. I think I knew that. But other than that, nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just were really thrown off that.
Speaker 1: Well again, I wig I was thirty when it started or something like that.
Speaker 2: So and yeah, really, honestly, it was definitely later on.
Speaker 1: And in all fairness, had I watched this, especially the pilot, when I was ten or eleven, I would have definitely said, it's just a wig. How does nobody see? So anyway, let's get into the synopsis. Miley Stuart return. By the way, I think other people auditioned for this part. I imagine the character was not named Miley as they were starting, but we'll get into that down the line. So Miley Stewart returns to her hometown of Tennessee to reconnect with her roots. After her double life as pop star Hannah Montana spirals out of control. Through self discovery and love, she must decide whether to embrace her true identity or succumb to the allure of celebrity. Okay, early thoughts, Sabrina, how much did you love it?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: I did watch the pilot me too, right, I'm getting lunch ready, I'm getting the pilot going, so you know, I know, I'm not having to really really watch it. I'm just trying to get a little bit more reference Monroe's home will I damn did it to myself? I want to watch now five episodes of the first season. Monroe was hooked.
Speaker 1: Like that, okay, hooked like.
Speaker 2: That now she is four okay, and she loved every aspect. It was just enough dance and just enough song. The characters are big, they're comical, they're throwing themselves. There's a lot of you know what I mean, Like all of it. Monroe was hooked. I wanted to watch just the pilot and then be able to after lunch, sit down and get what I had to get done. And that was not in my future. So I had to wait to do the movie. And honestly, I think because I don't know. Again, I don't know if it was like I was in the right mindset. I don't know if it's because I'm the pilot, was watching it, watching my little one fall in love with her. I was in from the start. I had to go, oh, I gotta I gotta do seas let's rewind it, because I was just in from the start. I really was. It was a movie that I felt like I literally could just kick back, put my feet up, and just watch as it was supposed to be seen. So I loved it and and it it. There was only maybe a few moments that I dropped out a little bit. They were towards the end, but I finished off strong and loved it. Okay, and I that's what I said. I'm like, I'm ready. I remember saying I am ready for the whole down showdown, mister, because there is no way he is going to be on the level I have been watching this movie. We're going to fight until the end when I'm ready. I didn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, First of all, the pilot, it's obviously a tough watch for me again as an older man.
Speaker 2: That it is Disney Disney young, y young.
Speaker 1: Great Disney Channel show. It is good Disney Channel actors, good young, a lot of physical comedy. They're all good. Like I said, the kids are great. You got the dad being there, the good dad making sandwiches. No, you can't have money, and I get it all worked as a pilot as a Disney Channel totally understand that the movie better than the pilot. Even I thought, oh, it's beautiful. The cast really knows what they're doing. You get the little love story, I get all of it. I was fine with all that. Malaura Harden. I'm a big Malaura Harden fan. I always have been. She's great. The cameos were fantastic, some of the music was good. But if you don't buy the premise, yeah, then the rest of it doesn't work. And there was a lot of this movie where it was like wait, even premise aside like wait what wait huh yeah, so, yes, it was. It was. I wish I had seen it young and I could buy the premise because then I think it's something that I would maybe have enjoyed a lot more than I did. But the idea that you change your hair and no one in the world gets who you are always throws me. Again. It's the Clark Kent thing, and I've had people So I had a really interesting conversation with one of my gay friends who said to me that Superman was his favorite character growing up, specifically because of Clark Kent, because he said as a kid, he always felt like he was hiding in plain sight because before he came out. He was just hiding the whole time, and he said, the idea of being able to put on a pair of glasses and get through my day was hugely important to me, and that's why Superman was important to me. So I was trying to remember stuff like that as I was watching the movie, because again I have that fantasy literary mind of I need the rules to make sense, I need them to work. I need to buy the premise. So when I buy the premise, then I'm in. But then I tried to remember the things like my friend told me. I was like, okay, man, let it go a little bit.
Speaker 2: But yes, And I think that's so true in the and this story is a coming of age story, yep. And I think that right there is so true, like trying to find that person and the courage to be that person instead of under this whether it's whether it is makeup and close that you know, whatever it is, that is truly what that that whole preface is. And I think so many people can relate to that, and especially with young kids that are trying to find themselves and whatever it is, whatever obstacle they're going through, you know. And I just think that's why they bought. And when I'm telling you, I was there. I watched it happen. I was at the concerts. There was like, it's just it was.
Speaker 1: Well, you saw with your daughter, you saw it yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, I saw it happen. I mean she just her eyes were just big the whole time. She was dancing when the music was going, she was cracking up with the physical comedy. And she loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Now I get it, I get it, I understand.
Speaker 2: But it is a young, young, young, young audience.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, it was. It has to be. It has to be.
Speaker 2: It's not to me this this wasn't, especially watching the the pilot, and I love to see the movie after because within that time you saw the growth, right, not just within the kids getting older, but you saw the growth of the entire brand. And but when it started off, it had to have been like a young I feel like younger than that's so raven, Like it was like a younger.
Speaker 1: And they had to grow up with it. Now I guess, Yeah, so okay, Hannah Montana. The movie is directed by Peter Chelseam, who had directed some well known theatrical movies like Town and Country with Warren Baty and Diane Keaton, Saren Dippitty which is a great rom com with John Cusseck and Kate Beckinsale, and Shall We Dance with Richard Gear. He is still working a ton too. He wrote and directed last year's Festive, A Sudden Case of Christmas, starring Danny DeVito, Andy McDowell and Wilmer Valderrama. Big Shaker Here the movie stars Miley Cyrus. Hannah Montana was a role she originally did not get because she was considered too young, even first getting rejected for the role of BFF Lily, But after months of searching, they couldn't find anyone better and will they came crawling back some others who reported the audition for the role, Taylor Momson, Daniella Monet, and singer Jojo. Miley Cyrus has since, of course, become one of the premier names in all of music and a legit pop icon, while shedding and sometimes even openly battling her Disney roots. She has two Grammys and a total of nine nominations, with two Billboard Hot one hundred number ones, Wrecking Ball and her biggest song yet, Flowers from twenty twenty three. It's safe to say that the entire pop music genre in twenty twenty five has been influenced by Miley Cyrus. She's a juggernaut now. Infamously a fifteen year old Miley Cyrus pose for legendary photographer Annie Leibowitz and Vanity Fair, wearing only a white sheet and red lipstick, creating a massive problem for Disney pr Though she wasn't technically nude, it was suggestive enough, and religious groups and parents were up in arms. Miley ended up fulfilling a final season four based on some Walmart existing contracts. Then she bounced from the channel, and as we said earlier, Billy Ray Cyrus, her real life dad, is the creatively named Robbie Ray, her father on the show and in the movie, he plays a widow taking care of his pop star daughter, while in real life he's a country musician, best known for the song Achy Breaky Heart and a recent appearance on Little Naz Ex Old Town Road Remix. He also appeared in David Lynch's Maulholland Drive and Sharknado two. The second one that's really the title. I've never seen it, but god, that sounds amazing. Emily Osmitt is best friend Lily Truscott. She is best known as Gerdi Giggles and Spy Kids two and three and Mandy on Young Sheldon, but she also became a little pop star as well on Disney with the album Fight or Flight in twenty ten, and she is the sister of Haley Joe Osmitt and He Sees Dead People. Jason Earls is Jackson. Earls is a frequent Disney collaborator, with appearances on Phil of the Future, Just Roll with It, high school musical, the series, and starred on the show Kicking It. He also has another dcom under his belt that we are yet to tackle, Dad Napped, and I'm sure we will get there. Another familiar face, one of our favorites, Mitchell Musso from Life is Rough and of course also from Hatching Pete. He plays Oliver and was also a Disney pop star, releasing music of his own through their channel Plus. He is the voice of Jeremy Johnson on Phineas and Ferb and We Love this Dude and that of course a young Natalia Dyer as Clarissa. This was her first job ever. She has since gone on to play Nancy Wheeler on the Global Phenomenon stranger things, and here we get this is where we keep just getting crazier and crazier. We've now got Vanessa Williams's publicist, Vita Vanessa Williams was the first black woman to ever win the title of Miss Universe in nineteen eighty four, but would later resign the title after her nude photographs ran in Penthouse thirty two years later. Williams was offered a publick apology rightfully so during the twenty sixteen Miss America pageant for the events, but don't worry, she ended up getting the last laugh. She became a very successful singer, with multiple Grammy nominations, and she'd win a Tony Award for her role in two thousand and two's revival of Into the Woods. But you probably know her best as Villemina Slater on Ugly Betty, a role she received three Emmy nominations for. It was so great to see her in this. I love her. She was also in one of my favorite really kind of bad Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, Eraser Great. Now we've got to mention some other very familiar faces. That's why we don't have a Coleman Reynolds chair. This week because there'd be too many people sitting in it. We've got Taylor Swift, Margot Martindale, Barry Bostwick, Tyra Banks, and Brooks Shields, all amazingly fun to see. Again. We mentioned Malaura Harden, who I love. I mean it is just one kind of famous face after.
Speaker 2: Their famous unreal yeah, unreel.
Speaker 1: The movie is one hundred and five men, which is tragic. We can officially announce that this movie is say it with.
Speaker 2: Me too long?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is way off target. What were they thinking? Well, let's blame the writer, Dan Berenson. We're not gonna blame him. It's just it's just too long. But he is a decom legend who we've mentioned so many times before on Magical rewind Get Ready for this I love this list. He's got Stuck in the Suburbs, Halloween Town, High, Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff, The Cutting Edge, Going for Gold, Camp Rock two, The Wizards of Waverley Place Movie, Teen Beach two, and Cheetah Girls One World, all on his impressive resume, just one banger after another. In this case, though, he shared credit with the Hannah Montana EPs, including our guest this week, Michael poris for the characters and the story idea. All right, don't walk away, Let's take the stage and get crazy. It's time to dive into the hand of Montana movie, because what's not to like. We open on busloads of screaming girls running to the Great Western Forum for the Hannah Montana concert and impressive shot of lots of actual Miley Cyrus fans used here as extras packing into the show. Inside the arena, the crowd is screaming for Hannah and her father, Robbie Ray aka Billy Ray Cyrus, is backstage. He is staring at a mannequin's head wearing a long blonde wig. Robbie Ray is definitely stressed. Outside two young girls, Miley Stewart and a best friend, Lily, are trying to get their will call tickets but are being pushed by rabid fans. They are denied and Lily can't believe Miley is shutout of her own concert, and that's when they notice an unarmed security golf cart. We cut to a security guard chasing them in the gulf cart backstage and Miley can't stop it. They eventually come to a screeching halt right in front of Robbie Ray, he says they're with him, and he rushes them into the wig room, and just like that we get the sparkling title treatment for Hannah Montana the movie. What are you thinking already with this semi car chase to start the the film?
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't understand why they needed to go to will call. Why didn't she have her badge? I didn't understand that at first time. Wait what they didn't explain it how she was like locked out and didn't have what she needed to get into it. So that was a little did I miss something? Do I need to rewind this already? But for me because there were sometimes those unarmed or unmanned carts, yeah, in the arenas, and they were it was that.
Speaker 1: Do you ever steal a car? Did you ever steal a cart? Did you ever steal a cart? Come on beyond?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, yes, But it was just I mean that whole life of living in an arena while you're on tour is like you, first of all, you have to find your fun because it is Groundhog's Day pretty much in a different arena. And now the walls aren't blue, their red, the green, you know whatever. But it was fun and it was cool for me. I instantly got into the zone because I had been in arenas with Miley, so it.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh, this is cool.
Speaker 2: I did love the running through the face with her or poster with their face, you know. So it was it was. It definitely brought a lot of energy right from the start, which I agree obviously what you needed, you would think. I thought it was going to start right away like the credits do in the movie of a concert, and it wasn't her on stage right away. It was something before she got this to stage. So I did like that energy. And then of course I'm in my head, I'm going, you know, think about the fans at this point of the Miley craze. Oh yeah, that got to be in that rabbit we're filming for her movie coming up. What a great moment that those fans will carry with them for the rest of their lives, you know. So that was pretty cool too.
Speaker 1: I agree one hundred percent it was. It was a very energetic way to start the movie. And speaking at the start of the movie, the credits are rolling and we see Miley getting ready transforming into the pop star Hannah Montana. Eventually, Miley places the magical wig on her head and the transformation is complete. Literally all she does. Hannah takes her place on the stage, and before she is lifted onto the stage from this cool little mechanical thing underneath, her dad reminds her it's her night to do the dishes. She complains, but he tells her quote she's the one that wanted the best of both worlds. And then the song Best of Both Worlds kicks in. We jump right into the first big Hannah Montana number, complete with seventeen thousand real life fans brought in for the audience, which is a rare feat for any movie, let alone a Disney one. We also get a glimpse into the song's music video, with Hannah on the beach surrounded by a group of teen beach movie dancers. The director yells cut and that is a rap. Hannah is suddenly whisked off the beach, avoiding the paparazzi and back into her dressing room, where she's startled by a dorky english Man hiding behind her clothes rack, which gave really creepy vibes right off the start.
Speaker 2: Reap creep creep yep.
Speaker 1: He promises little girls, he would meet her for them, and Hannah is rightfully of course taken back. He's got questions for them. But just as Oswald is about to ask question number one, publicist Vita runs into him. She sees right through his charade. He's the editor of Britain's most sleazy tabloid bon Chic. He wants to do a cover feature story on her, but Vida knows it'll just be a trash takedown. She escorts him out, but we see he sneakily left a digital camera on the couch, still recording. Uh oh, now alone. Vida reminds her don't talk to anyone without her. It's her job to make sure her little secret stays a secret, and then Vida sits down on the camera. Hannah then leaves the ten hounded by press, giving Oswald the second chance to slide in and recover his camera again. Creepy ceperson, What a slimeball. Oswald then gets a call from his very impatient editor played by Jane Carr, also from Boy Meets World. She played a fun part. She wants to know how the juicy Hannah Montana cover story is going, and now he knows there's a quote unquote secret so he's gonna stay on it until he can find out what that secret is. We cut to Miley's other life, a high schooler in jim class, where she is quickly pelted with a volleyball and basically left four dead. It's a far cry from the luxurious video shoot we just saw. Just then, Vida pops up and pulls her out of school. Turns out Beyond has got double pneumonia yikes, and had to drop all the New York Music Awards. Hannah has been asked to replace her. Now, her publicist shows up in the middle of high school and starts yelling that their's stuff going on she needs to be there for. I get it's an empty hallway, but this doesn't seem like it's very a tightly kept secret at all. Why would the publicist even be on campus at all? Why not just have her dad go pick her up, like it's a dentist appointment or something. We never I don't know what's going on. It doesn't make any sense. Vida is rushing to get Hannah ready to go to New York, but then Lily catches them on their way out. She asked about her birthday party, and Miley again yells back to anyone that could hear in any of the things minor Hannah emergency then promises she will make it to the party, but of course nobody knows because she's a brunette. Now with Vida and Hannah on rodeo drive getting free designer stuff to wear, Robbie Ray is outside the school pacing in front of his truck. Miley's older brother, Jackson, is going to miss his plane to college if she doesn't hurry up. Robbie Ray has no idea where his daughter is. So it just turned this publicist just showed up at school and just yanked he out of school, which doesn't seem right. And I thought this was going to lead to something where it's like, we don't need this publicist in our life. She was going to be the bad guy, the publicist, like she was leading Miley down the wrong.
Speaker 2: Path, and it goes that way for a while.
Speaker 1: You thought that's where it was kind of headed, and then they this is one of the problems I started.
Speaker 2: I mean that you knew the shady reporter was like going to be the main one, but I feel like, was she going to end up working with him type of thing?
Speaker 1: Right there?
Speaker 2: Was a number of like it was going.
Speaker 1: There's a number of storylines that went one way and then either ended abruptly with no end to it whatsoever, or went off in a direction that was not expected. Okay, so now we see Hannah in a store. She's surrounded by sunglasses and bracelets and watches, all of these being offered to her for free. But then she notices how late she is and the eleven miss calls from her brother. She's got to go, but then she sees one last shoes she needs to get Lily for her birthday present, and as she goes to grab the second shoe, uh oh, Tyra Banks playing herself, says they're hers, and she steals the second one right now from under her. Did you think Tyra Bank's playing herself was cool? Yes?
Speaker 2: I mean, I find her so funny when she commits two characters, and she was great. To me, I thought she did a great job.
Speaker 1: I did too, I thought she was very very good.
Speaker 2: Really, it went on for too long, it did. I thought the scene was too long, honestly, but it was fun to see all of the comedy that they did with it.
Speaker 1: I agree. Tyra pulls the quote, do you know who I am unquote thing and Hannah parrots it back. Each are holding one of the shoes. When they get into a tense wrestling match, Tyra throws Hannah over a couch. Hannah jumps on Tyra's back. It's total chaos. Shoes are flying, Miley fully suffocates Tyra with a bag. Staff is running for their lives. In nearby, we see tabloid rider Oswald the Slimeball, snapping photos. Now without the shoes, Hannah is rushed out side by Vita into a waiting limousine to get to Lily's party, but Oswald is still close behind, following for a scoop. This means she can't get out of the car as Hannah for the party or get out of the car as Miley because of Oswald. This is where the dilemma starts. She can't even pull off her wig. We see Lily's party, which is a I would say a half a million to million dollar party at the Cintamnica pear.
Speaker 2: What is the occupation of parents? Parents created the color an entire ramp? What is the what are those called the the ones that are on both sides that that's cute?
Speaker 1: Oh, a half pipe? I have, and the half pipe was added to the Santa Monica peer for her. She had the entire peer as well.
Speaker 2: It was oh my god, Sanda and a full blown stage with the full blown sound system. Holy hell, this is the craziest sweet sixteen I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: Here you go. It's a five hundred thousand dollars party, every bit of it. It was crazy, just not so. We see Mitchell Musso as Oliver, and we meet Rico Suave, a reoccurring character from the show played by Moyes's Arius. He is a really eccentric schemer and is putting the final touches on a fireworks ready massive birthday cake. Hannah jumps out of a limo and rushes to the party, trying to ditch Oswald, but her arrival causes massesteria on the pier, even having to call Lily her number one fan, just to cover the fact that she's there. Lily is rightfully furious, especially when Hannah is carried like Rudy at the end of the Notre Dame game straight to the stage to play a song with the band. Lily is again furious. No one even cares that it's her party. A defeated, Lily finally walks out and is approached by Oswald for any type of Hannah scoop he can get. She casually mentions Miley's real hometown and Oswald finally has a lead. She says it in passing, probably because she was just crushed again by her best friend. Then Rico lights the cake and bam, it explodes all over everyone, even Vanessa Williams. Later that day, Robbie race the front page of the paper with the photo of Tyra Banks shoe fight, and he has had enough. He tells his daughter and Vita that New York isn't happening. She's going to Tennessee with the family for her grandma's birthday, and that is it good parenting. You're right, I love that you're a big superstar, but this is not gonna happen. This again goes back to me saying one bad thing to my brother's One time when I was on boy Mes World, I think I was seventeen. I was in front of my girlfriend and they picked me up and they duck my head in the toilet and they gave me a swirly that stuff ain't gonna fly in our house, and it wasn't gonna fly in Miley Cyrus's house either.
Speaker 2: Wait that happened to you for real?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I was seventeen. I did from both my brothers because I said something that came off as egotisticals I was on Boy Met World and they were like, uhuh, that's not gonna that's not gonna work. Oh right in the toilet with the flush, Uh, that's not gonna happen. I think I was in front of my girlfriend, JENNEVINOI at the time, from Blossom, and they were like, no, this is not that's that's not not gonna work. And never happened again. Always good to have two big older brothers. Yes, so he was, so he wasn't buying it. She's gonna go to Tennessee with the family to visit her grandmother's birthday, and that is just it. Vida explains. They can't miss New York, but a private jet can make both happen. Robbie Ray gives in and next thing you know, we're on a jet. Did you think this was too fast for him to give in? Were you kind of figuring something was gonna go on at this point or no?
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't either I honestly, I mean because I just you know, I think probably because we're in the business and it's like, you're contractually buying to do this, so we've got to do it. We'll figure out whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was more him like, I'm gonna let you make the choice of what you want to do. Are you gonna go to your grandmother's? Are you gonna go take a jet to thing? That's where I thought he was going with it, Like I thought it was gonna be more of a learning lesson. But no, we were all given a twist. Miley is now dressed his hand on and you could tell her dad is getting sick of her diva ways, so that when she deplanes, she is surprised to realize she's not in New York. She is in a Tennessee cowfield, and her brother's there to pick her up in a beat up pickup truck. How did Robbie Ray pull this off? I think he paid off the pilot, or he booked it behind her back, or he forcibly hijacked the plane. It's one of those things. But Miley is of course furious. She's supposed to be on a red carpet in New York. Her dad says she has lost her focus and a bite the time to retire Hannah Montana forever. Oohoo. Miley says he can't take Hannah from her, but he says, oh, yes, I definitely can. Miley forces him to stop the truck. She's gonna walk to New York if he has to. Robbie Ray proposes a deal. They're gonna see how these two weeks in Tennessee go and see if the country girl still exists in there. She can go back. It's a Hannah Montana detox. And just as she's ready to argue some more, a horse eats the wig right off her head. And it's not just any horse, it's her old horse, Blue Jeans. They just randomly stopped right in front of her old horse when she forced her brother to pull over. What luck that is? Now she has a moment with her old pal, packs away her wig and tries to ride Blue Jeans, but she's quickly bucked off, and her old country roots seem a little bit dusty, especially when Blue Jeans gets loose and all of a sudden boom, a mysterious and yes, dare I say, incredibly sexy young cowboy has to go retrieve blue jeans for her. It is Travis Brodie from the first grade. He has all grown up working for her grandmother and hunky as hell. My god, let's be honest, people, Come on, he's a honky cowboy who happens that perfect hair and teeth.
Speaker 2: I will say from all of the like romantic.
Speaker 1: I thought about you the second he popped on screen.
Speaker 2: He is definitely the most like rustic, more of like a like a manly looking kid versus the perfect the perfect nose and the team, you know, the jaw line and all that. He definitely looks a lot more like what you would think a cowboy would look like.
Speaker 1: Right when he stopped and smiled and had the hat on and caught the horse, I was like, we found Sabrina's guy. Finally got this is the one Sabrina's gonna be like. This is the guy I now, finally I don't mind the shirt off, I don't mind that, I don't mind that. Finally found and it's Travis Brody. Travis sitting in a tree.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, no, yes.
Speaker 1: So it turns out that he had a crush on Miley back in the day, but jokes he's over it now. She rides back to the house on his horse like you do, and they briefly chat about Hollywood and celebrities. She says she knows Hannah Montana, avoiding the fact that she looks just like her, but luckily she has brown hair.
Speaker 2: So okay, we gotta pause, pause, because this is when I went, wait a minute, Okay, So this town that she grew up with, now we've set this. Now we've set this, this whole plot line that she grew up with these kids, she was in first grade with this guy, uh huh, and they didn't catch the wig part. Like That's when I went, wait a minute, okay, that I thought this whole town would have known her story and they don't. And that's when I.
Speaker 1: Was like, that's what. Yes.
Speaker 2: I got kind of went into the no because I felt like her La life was La life like she was already living this like life in La home home people. So then I'm going, wait, does her And then it gets worse as we see family. You can tell family members don't even know only a few of them, and you're going, now, now you're losing me a little bit.
Speaker 1: Then I thought.
Speaker 2: The whole storyline in my head of the LA people and why because that kind of was my life. I was here in George County doing playing, soccer, dancing, doing all of that, and then I'd have my you know, the commercials that I would do and whatever, and I kind of had a different group of friends, not saying I had a wig or anything like that, you know, trying to be a different but it was a different light, right, So they knew me as an industry person, and I could relate to them in different ways than I could relate to the kids that I was I was up with.
Speaker 1: Connecticut and California were.
Speaker 2: The kids that I was growing up with really new certain things, not my not my on screen personality, you know, that I'd put into my work. This is this is when they lost me. Well for just even I'm not going to give you a lot, but this is a tidy but.
Speaker 1: When I went he doesn't know you looked into Travis Brodie's eyes and you you gave, you forgave the whole thing.
Speaker 2: You know. Listen, you actual husband, not guy, stands up to this. This this man that I actually got some marry.
Speaker 1: You know, on somebody and it's a TV crush it's not the same.
Speaker 2: As I know, but I'm just saying like, I don't know, I've not ever seen one yet. He was more of a manly or look, or the rustic kind of look, but still not yet. Okay, well, I'll let you know when I go. Okay, wow, Jordan and I'll talk about this.
Speaker 1: It's fine. So she eventually gets to her grandmother's house, where a jug band is performing. Her Grandma's excited to see her. Miley did bring an Elvis commemorative plate for her grandma's collection, which of course is very nice. She also meets her cousin Derek, who's a weirdo holding a ferret. She is not in Hollywood anymore, toto. Grandma also points out a new girl to Robbie Ray Laura la It's a little matchmaking move that's going on here, and he decides to approach Laurali picking up dirty dinner plates as an excuse, and then they have what is certainly the horniest conversation in dcom history. Let's check out a little clip fit right here.
Speaker 5: You got anything for me?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Am you sure you can handle it? You'd be amazed when I could handle.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, snap, he'd be amazed what I can handle? Wow, And in the process of trying to be smooth, he then has a great comedy bit where he knocks over Grandma's china shelf and all of her beloved commemorative plates go flying, breaking one hundreds of pieces. He thinks he saves the Elvis one at the very end and lings it up, goes hey Elvis is still alive and smash breaks it in by accident on the fan bummer. It doesn't stop the party though. Later that night, everyone is still singing downstairs and it's actually Rascal Flats playing their song from the soundtrack, which was a ton of fun. Miley is upstairs looking at a picture of her deceased mom. Who is Brooke Shields? Just a photo of brook Shields.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my gosh, I mean, I just I'm going At this point, after Rascal Flats doing an acoustic version, which is one of my favorite songs, then they have a picture of brook Shields, I'm like, who else is going to come? Don't worry, guys, it gets better.
Speaker 1: But it's also the only time we ever see her. We don't ever see her again, and I'm not sure Brookshields even though she was in this movie. Oh apparently, according to producer Lisa, she was the mom in the TV show too in a flashback episode. Okay, oh okay, So people were expecting Brookshields, Okay, got it.
Speaker 2: I was not. I was thrown and I loved it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was great. Me too. I didn't know, but thank you producer Lisa. By the way, all of the producers so far, I'm sure sending me hate mail. I'm gonna have hate emails from everything going on for how much I'm bashing the wig thing because I know that this is a very important movie in the seitgeist of magical rewind producers. But anyway, the next morning, Miley wakes up with a plan, Operation Hannah Montana. She enthusiastically sprints downstairs and overalls and pigtails. The full Southern accent is back. She's going to go ten to the chickens and this Shock's Robbie Ray and Grandma. But the excitement quickly disappears when she's attacked by hungry chickens and covered in yoke. I still don't understand what the plan was. What was the plan.
Speaker 2: For her? She was just trying to get into like the mourning chores that you do on a farm when you see.
Speaker 1: I don't want to what she was doing. I think she was trying to do something to prove something to them, which did like this was like, here's my plan, but I didn't understand what the plan was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the chores that she was doing are mourning chores that you would do on the farm. But I feel like she was doing that to be like, oh, you want me to be country, here we go. And she was doing like an over the top situation. But it backfired on her.
Speaker 1: Because Okay, get maybe that's what Okay, that's what I took it as. Okay, fair enough. Once done, Grandma takes Miley to the farmer's market I love a good farmer's market and asks Robbie Ray to stay at home and help the foreman. And guess who the foreman is. It's Laura l She lives on the ground and works with the grandma just like Travis. How convenient both their love interests are actually employed. Love it. On their way to the farmer's market, Miley's grandmother tells her that developers are threatened to buy the town and replace it with a mall. He is tiresly trying to raise money to stop it. Miley's actually excited about the prospect. She wants to know if there's going to be at Bloomingdale's. This leads to an ultimatum from her grandmother. Either live the country life and be thankful, or just go back to Hollywood because being in the middle isn't enjoyable for anyone. She gets a little smack down there in the middle of the street from Grandma. I me too. Miley apologizes, but then notices Oswald. No Oswald, he's snooping around and thanks to Lily snitches trying to find Hannah Montana at the market. That's right, that's true. Snitches get up, Snitches get ditches Lily. But when Oswald samples too spicy of salsa and Miley releases hundreds of walnuts into the street, absolutely destroying what some farmer has spent months and months working on, Oswald falls on his butt and destroys the entire model of what the new town is going to be. Now keep this in mind, because that town and that guy are going to really have not that much left to do with the story, and they're really not going to have anything else to do, and.
Speaker 2: They have a good ninety five seconds left. That's yes show to show everything he's got exactly.
Speaker 1: Oswald notices Miley and asks her, hey, do you know Hannah Montana? And this again has put a Cark Kent Forsu superman vibe in action. The newspaper editor is probably based on Piers Morgan. Back at the farm, Hannah is playing guitar and writing a new song in the barn when Travis walks in. He said she always wanted to be a singer and brushes off the new song as just good. Hannah presses him, why don't you think it's great? He says it just doesn't have any substance. It didn't tell him anything about her. He also announces that he's starting an egg business. They jump on their horses and we get a montage. Miley and Travis have a nice day at the nearby waterfall. Robbie Ray and Laura Lei are also getting closer, and Jackson is playing with an Ostrich And I'm not kidding when I say that. Miley and Travis then build an entire chicken coop in twenty seconds. I also have a question about the chicken coop. Okay, He's going to start an egg business, correct, right, that's that's a great idea. Who doesn't love farm fresh eggs eggs recently, I know, ridiculous. I love so great idea. But is he selling Hannah Montana or Miley's grandmother's eggs. He doesn't own those eggs. No, so he's selling someone else's product. Are they going to split the money or is he just keeping all the cash from all the Grandma would.
Speaker 2: Get into the specifics of their business deal, and I like that. That was Yeah, it was a good question to ask. But I think the grandma, what she seems like is she's a little nosy and she's kind of in everyone's business. And she's seeing this kid giving him a job and pushing him to start a business on his own, and this is her way that she's going to help fund it for.
Speaker 1: It's a great idea. When I was seventeen, I should have just started selling all my grandparents to make money, Like, hey, what do you mean? I needed a job? So I sold everything in your garage. I found this very strange. Oh wait, I'm sorry, he said. Grandma said, if he fixes the chicken coop, then he can sell the eggs. No, I get it, But he's selling her eggs. It's like, if you fix my garage, you can sell the car inside. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, and truly, what you end up doing is you also the eggs that become chickens. You raise them so that they can So maybe you know there's ways that, Yeah, there's ways to business model.
Speaker 1: What's gonna be amazing when we do the sequel when we find out that eggs is just code word for drugs and he's got like a meth lab in that little little thing they're making. Yeah, just wait, why does.
Speaker 2: She always have to go so dark?
Speaker 1: Well that's a great question. Why do the sequels always have to go so dark? We're definitely going to figure that out. I want to find out when we get to the second.
Speaker 2: The second in the first one reels here's the reality.
Speaker 1: Guys awful anyway exactly. So this is also where we learn of an upcoming event, a music festival to save the town. We quickly find ourselves at the small music venue with Billy Ray Cyrus aka Robbie Ray performing. It is much better than his recent train wreck at the Liberty Ball in Washington, d C. And Laura Lai loves it, so that is very cool. And then the one and only Taylor Swift takes the stage and performs the song, just steps up and it's like, oh wow, and now there's Taylor Swift. And let it be known that although Taylor looks young here, she was very much already on her meteoric rise, releasing Fearless and touring. And it would be the very next year that Kanye would interrupt her at the VMA's. So this was right at the beginning, believe it or not, but what would be the biggest pop music career in history. So I think she did this not only for the synergy, because I know she loved Disney Channel, but I think she was just a fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do, Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: She was a Boy Meets World fan too. I mean I know that she loved Disney stuff. I'm guessing she was a Cheetah Girls fan. I mean, like, she loved Disney stuff. So you get to be on Hannah Montana in the movie. I bet you she jumped at the chance to do.
Speaker 2: Of course, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And so now while Taylor sings Travis and Miley's Slow Dance, and once Taylor is done, Travis convinces Miley to take the stage for open mic, and even though she says no, he pushes her onto the stage. She meagerly says she's bringing some hip hop to this hoe down, and that leads the audience in a boom boom clap to start her new song, which is just as much hip hop as it is death metal. So here is a small clip of that song, pop It, knock.
Speaker 4: It, Poka, don it cut your fabin and.
Speaker 2: Side to side jump to the net, stick it.
Speaker 1: Oh god?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Can we agree it's the worst song in the movie.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not Will I'm not agreeing with you. It's so freaking way I thought this part was okay. First of all, I agree with you in the sense that I don't hear any sense of hip hop in this.
Speaker 1: She says, hip hop doesn't.
Speaker 2: I know, it's more poppy. But this part to me was again Disney beans super smart. Now we gotta dance. Now we got a dance that's easy to learn, and now we got an anthem. Now we got now we got can make it better? Climb is the actual anthem of it. But this this song, they don't. That's the thing, though, Will this demo that was following. Hannah didn't need any more than this. They didn't ask ask everyone. They do not need any more than this. This was enough to give them a dance to learn, a dance to throw on at the next slumber party where they all do it together. Okay, this is the same as like in syncs bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, not the same ang.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, but it's the same idea. Is something that they can learn and mimic. This is probably one of the best songs in the best like major crash songs at there at her touring shows when she did it the hodown slide all that I can't even imagine how kids went bonkers.
Speaker 1: Well, all the producers of course agree with you.
Speaker 2: Yes, they just said, forget the Cha cha slide. How dumb is that song? But it's the easiest thing it comes on. Yeah, sure I know it. I don't know a lick a dancing, but I definitely can do that. Absolutely. This was so freaking smart. I didn't know what they were.
Speaker 1: We've had producer Lisa said, where I used to work, Disney gave us the tutorial to upload and it was our number one video for years with millions of views.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you this, This was so smart for Disney to do, because again it's I'm not gonna say it's a great song. I'm just gonna say it's the smartest song I get. It's so smart. And it was like when I was watching it because I didn't know what they were talking right in our text thread leading up to this, I had no idea what they were talking about. I had no idea, and I'm like, I can't wait for this. When it came on, I was like, Disney does it again. I'm telling you I was ready for a holdout shout down with you, mister will I.
Speaker 4: We're gonna hate this.
Speaker 1: And I like, it's a bad song. It's a bad song. So here's what we're gonna do. We are gonna write the Magical rewind Dance song. You're gonna come up with the dance and we're gonna it's like and then rewind it and slide it and to the left. You're gonna come up with that and we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: You have never sound more smart in your own.
Speaker 1: Then we're gonna do it. We're doing the Magical rewind Dance.
Speaker 2: It is really sinking in. It is watch and We're gonna get Paul Owen to come back. He's gonna I love the music video.
Speaker 1: I love it. Who's gonna who's gonna choreograph?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Probably we gotta pull in some like Let's ask the one that come that is on Zombies. Let's ask that choreographer. Well, we're also gonna Chucky clay Bow, it's got to be one of them.
Speaker 1: We're also gonna be getting all of our friends of the podcast back to do the dance with us. Casey stro Everybody's gonna come back and do the Magical Rewind dance with us. So that so we better. You better start thinking, because if Hodown Showdown's gonna make it, then so will Magical Rewind. That's what I'm telling you, do the Rewind? How can you not? Anyway?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it much.
Speaker 1: Like all of our producers. The crowd of course goes nuts. They love it until the evil real estate agent developer shows up. This angers Grandma. He's the man threatening to exterminate her town. He arrogantly ridicules the fundraiser and says there's no amount of money that can stop him, and then Travis grabs the Mic and blurts out, Miley knows Hannah Montana Travis. I know, dude Travis, well how but he doesn't know. I mean Hannah Montana's three thousand miles away and blonde Sabrina come on, so Travis. Travis suggests a concert to help the city, and this jerk sure is pompous. Thanks a lot, dude. Miley is now completely pressured and says she will give Hannah a Calloo boo boop, Hi Me, Robbie Ray and family. They obviously look concerned but have no fear Hannah is here, or at least you know who the town thinks is Hannah. A limo arrives with Lily wearing the wig inside and waving out the window. Oswald's so happy to see this. His story can finally happen. And here's where I was like liter That was Bath Lily, but also Lily Lily and Miley. She hated her.
Speaker 2: There was no resolution, There was no resolution, no call, no nothing. She literally said, you can never would she say I'll make it up to you or something or I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have one quaked.
Speaker 2: She's Tennessee, my god, I ruined my five hundred thousand dollars sixteenth birthday.
Speaker 1: Yes, sold our house just to have this birthday party.
Speaker 2: But then sure, I'll show up to Tennessee and she just.
Speaker 1: Shows up, so yeah, it was it was weird that there was no okay anyway, Vita has also made the trip with Lily, and she and Miley hug. They don't talk about any of their problems, of course, because Lily announced that her loose lips were the one that got Oswald to come to Tennessee in the first place, so she kind of blames herself. But anyway, Yeah, but before Miley can even take that in, Laura I knocks in the door. She wants to talk to Hannah and Miley.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Oh, problems. So Lily gets back in the wig and hides her face with a towel, pretending she needs a foot massage. In bed, Laura I announces that the mayor wants to throw Hannah a big bash for her tonight, and since Lily can't speak for her, she takes her silence as a yes. This creates a problem, especially since Laura I will be the one in charge of the welcoming event. Lily then spots Travis and is impressed. Oh of course, because as Sabrina the same thing. Sabrina saw him and was like, what, I'll take me into the slice of that cowboy. Miley thinks he may just want to be friends, but she should try to win him over. She brings out the real Hannah because she's like, hey, he's met Miley, but he's never met Hannah. So Hannah has to come say hi. But Travis, because he's a real guy, is not impressed by the superstar or the wig. He just likes regular old Miley and he wants to ask her out right now, so Hannah has to rush to the coop and change back into Miley. She makes it just in time to play it cool while painting horribly. I don't know if you noticed, but she got red all over.
Speaker 2: It's not even a hard job. The panels are quite wide.
Speaker 1: She had the green on the red, and it was like color in the lines, Miley, slash Hannah, color in the lines, Miley. It's true, man. But she rushes there and she makes it just in time, plays it cool, nonchalantly saying yes to being asked out by him. But wait a minute, she can't go on this date. Hannah is supposed to be going to Lauralei's big mayor party. Robbie Ray leaves it up to Miley to pick, and in the end she stands up Travis to meet the mayor. Laura I does notice Miley isn't there at the event, so she starts putting two and two together. The mayor praises Hannah for her charitable action because she does go and cousin Derek has lost his ferret. Oh I hate that. Hannah abruptly dismisses herself and quickly changes into Miley so she can save her date. She's gonna do that thing where someone is in a movie or TV show and has to do things at the same time, so they keep running back and forth between them. So she gets into the restaurant apologizes for being late, but Travis has brought her some flowers. He notices immediately something that all guys notice on a date. She's only wearing one earring. I mean, who doesn't notice that? No one. She brushes it off as a trendy LA thing. He avoids small talk and goes right for the juggular. He wants her to know before she returns to La how he feels about her, and right as he's about to spill the beans. Miley's phone rings. She sprints out of the date and back in with the mayor, now with massive lobsters on everybody's plate, but the wheels are really starting to fall off. The ferret gets loose and Miley runs back to Travis, still with her lobster bib on. I hope everybody's keeping up. This is starting to get very messy and everyone's starting to get suspence, even Travis. Eventually, Robbie Ray says enough is enough, forcing Hannah to stay for the flombay, the Tennessee Flombay, which frankly sounds very very good. The mayor begins with the speech and midway through is bitten by the ferret. The melee ends up with the table catching fire, two customers wigs being switched. Seems to be a lot going on with this movie in wigs and everything fails in front of Robbie Ray, Laurali and the Mayor. Hannah runs out of the building holding her Miley stuff, and an example of just terrible timing, runs into a young fan just as she's taking off the wig again. This seems like this is not so top secret. Everything is just so careless and then the young girl sees the transition, and so does Travis. What worst case scenario? Wait, it was a wig. Miley runs after him. She just wants to explain, but he can't believe she's been lying this entire time. He says they are over and he leaves. A distraught Miley runs back to her dad, who saw everything. Lauraai pops up, mad that Hannah ruined her big night. When Robbie Ray stands up for the pop star, Laura Lai then knows something's up. She can't be dating someone lying, but instead of telling the truth, he breaks up with her. This is terrible. We all just miss the lobster times. Miley cries as a group of fans outside begin to chant her name. It's now raining, of course, cause rain, and both Miley and Travis are sad. In gazebos, Miley is comfortably writing music when her dad walks up. He also seems pretty sad. Miley says the new song that she's written is about her and her dad, and she starts to acoustically play Butterfly Fly Away, and she says, Dad, sing with me, and he does. He sings the song she just wrote and has never heard but knows all the lyrics.
Speaker 2: To attention shoppers, and she in fact had willed up to this point. We have now lost him.
Speaker 4: Out of the Billow.
Speaker 1: Do you know the song? She says, Can I hear it? And she says sure, and she starts playing the songs and they start singing together. How do you know the song?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, he would know the lyrics because this was a book that he had read to her the attack, the grandma says it, so he would get that lyrics.
Speaker 1: I get that, And right now all the producers are furiously typing, I'm sure to put something on our chain. But he.
Speaker 2: Would not know the melody though.
Speaker 1: No, it's no, he'd be chasing if he was.
Speaker 2: You know, when they should do what they should do with things like this is when she sings and he repeats.
Speaker 5: Here he do that?
Speaker 2: He comes in the second verse, Yes, yeah, How.
Speaker 1: Hard is that?
Speaker 2: He started with?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, I loved this song.
Speaker 1: It's a great song. It's the best song in the movie, in my opinion, it's the best song in the movie.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm back watching this on the couch, absolutely falling asleep by this time. But that's okay. She's at least there still, and it's like you're you know the moments of you tucking in and you know those moments of going.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful song.
Speaker 2: It is such a good song.
Speaker 1: I don't have car and it's a beautiful song. I song the best song of the movie. I just hated the fact that he somehow knew it.
Speaker 2: I right, well, he still had him.
Speaker 1: We have lost you might have lost Will, but Jack's still here here. Okay. So anyway, that night, of course, Miley can't sleep, and then first thing in the morning, Lily, still in her robe, goes to the now finished chicken coop, magically painted and decorated like clown pants. But Miley fell asleep while painting it, so Lily wakes her and make sure she's on time for the big Hannah Montana benefit concert she needs to help save her town. We get to the huge fairgrounds and so many people and donations are rolling in. Again, a ton of extras. You just saw the scope of this film. Uh, they really used every penny well because it looked beautiful. There's a ton of people around, really great, a lot of production value. It's even got a ferris wheel. Elly's grandma makes her way to Hannah's bus, shocked by how crazy things are. She is proud of her granddaughter for the concert and hands over one of Miley's dead mom's necklaces. Travis's his new ugliest sin chicken coop for the first time. Frast Miley did it all, even though I'd be offended. She thinks that's his taste. He hops on his horse and gallops away on a mission. Nothing can stop him. At the concert, Hannah is already performing her first song, Rockstar, when she spots Travis and the crowd. Wow, fast horse as Tennessee. I would have loved if he pulled up and jumped off his horse and someone handed him a valet ticket. That would have been the best. And then they parked the horse. Oh, it would have been worth it, just for their one comedy bet. She also sees her dad and her grandmother and her brother and Lily. Everybody's in the crowd, Laura Eliah's being sad by herself on the other side of the fairgrounds. This is an awful lot to take in. And then Hannah has stopped dead in her tracks. She's starting to have a panic attack. She says, I can't do this into the mic and the audience goes silent. She just can't be Hannah anymore, at least not in her own hometown. She admits this is where her family is. Then she reveals she's just Miley and takes off the wig, and the whole town Holy, that's Miley Stewart. How did we not notice her face and body and voice and family are exactly the same. What crazy? Miley just wants a second chance. She is joined by a high school philharmonic of sorts and says she's going to sing something very personal. She repeats a catchphrase she's been using to appreciate her life's journey, something that your boyfriend Travis has said to her, which is life is a climb, but the view is great. Great line, and then we get the movie's first single and the movie's big final scene, the Climb. The crowd in her family love it, and most importantly, Travis is giving that cute cowboy smile. Miley is back and everyone loves her. As she's leaving the stage, that young girl from earlier, the one who saw her take off her wig, meagerly begs, please, Hannah, we'll keep your secret. Very sweet. Miley says, it's not possible. But then Travis yells out, it's just a wig. We should have noticed. No, I'm kidding. What he actually yells out because he likes yelling his thoughts out loud, is sure you can he does.
Speaker 2: He has no.
Speaker 1: Filter, none whatsoever. Even her family wants her to put the wig back on, because she looks better as a blonde. She deserves that stardom. They start chanting Hannah, Hannah, and the wig goes back on, but Oswald has been there the whole time. He snaps a picture and runs away. Lily, Travis and her family stay hot in his tail, eventually catching up to him, and the entire town kills him. I'm kidding, I was just seeing if you're all still with me. No, what happens is he threatens.
Speaker 2: A massive slaughter.
Speaker 1: It's a massive slaughter. They kill him and the town is saved. He threatens to press send on his new photo. There's nothing that can stop him. But that's when his daughters come running up, who are somehow flown in from England. They're so excited to meet Hannah. Vita got them both tickets, knowing it would soften that piece of Oswald. Nice move, Vanessa, Williams. His kids freak out when they see Hannah, and Oswald decides to keep the secret. See he understands the magic now even if I don't. Oswald tells his editor off and quits the tabloid now before running back to stage, Travis admits to Miley he's never been over the crush and they kiss. Hannah. Now back on stage, singing You'll always find your way back home. Robbie, Ray and Loralai also reunite and French kiss. The fundraiser has made hundreds of thousands of dollars. But the thing that I thought was funny is they still hadn't reached their goal. They cut to the guy who puts it up to four hundred grand when the goal was five hundred grand. They don't actually reach their goal. Uh so it was very fun Anyway, the city is saved, apparently. Hannah and her dancers now sit in a big tractor trailer truck as it barrels through the massive gathering at fans. We pull away, and that's our movie. Over the credits, we get to see all of our characters doing that amazing.
Speaker 2: Mind Dance does not say amazing in this script and says dance don't.
Speaker 1: That incredibly amazing line? Dance to the movie's worst song, the fake hip Hop one, and we are done. We know what we think about it. Let's do real reviews, Sabrina. I'm so happy that you had one star review, and I'd like you to read it for me.
Speaker 2: Please try to get through it.
Speaker 1: Here's the one star review. Take it away, Sabrine.
Speaker 2: This one star is from Murray m. It was so boring.
Speaker 4: I would you can do it? Come on, you can forced to do stuff like this?
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. It was so boring. I would rather staple my balls to the ceiling and dangle like a French chandelier than watch it again, just so I can actually feel something. Holy hel Mariy, I just don't know what to say that that you would be so extreme dayple your ball to the ceiling.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was wonderful. I have the five star review, but it's not gonna be as good as that. This is from Joscelyn c actual five star review. Miley Cyrus. If you ever see this, come to this address in your limo singing Nobody's perfect two six to six State Route East on Monday at ten thirty am, five stars.
Speaker 2: That was a good five star.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're a great guys.
Speaker 2: And Blast your address showed up. I'm gonna tell you spoiler alert she did.
Speaker 3: She did.
Speaker 1: We are now going to do our feature presentation here people. This is of course Sabrina's favorite uh and my favorite too. We've got the feature this week from producer Jensen is entire.
Speaker 5: No producers and it's Jason. This is Jason.
Speaker 1: I don't even recognize him.
Speaker 5: Jasone who I'm new I'm working heart.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us. Producer Jason, I didn't recognize you at all.
Speaker 5: Full name wyoming O.
Speaker 1: I love it, so Jason Wiling, your feature this week is Miley cy yes or Miley cy no? Can you can you explain it to us? Jason?
Speaker 5: You know what, don't have the notes in front of me because.
Speaker 1: He never does, So here you go. He's a that he's a trickster. So that Jensen. All right, Jason, here's what it is. When you're an international superstar, you end up doing a lot of interviews and telling people a lot about yourself. So we will get five possible weirdo facts that megastar Miley Cyrus has revealed about herself over the years, and we have to decide if they are real or just stuff. Producer Jensen not Jason. Producer Jensen has made up to make himself laugh if we get three out of five? Right, So are you ready? Did he send you enough Jason to where you know the answers?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Okay, great, as you know, I'm a pop star, so you are. I don't have a ton of time, but he did send me the answers.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here you go. Number one, true or false. Miley's real name is wish false, but I'm going to say crazy false. It is something because it's Tennessee. I don't think he named her.
Speaker 5: Wish Well, it's false. Her real name is Destiny.
Speaker 2: Destiny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh so he doesn't look he doesn't look like a Destiny.
Speaker 2: She doesn't know. That's why I say it's it's not you just you just know her as Miley. So it's crazy to think.
Speaker 1: Is Miley her middle name or is it just Destiny.
Speaker 5: No, it's like she has another weird middle name too.
Speaker 2: It's a long it's a long name.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, gotcha. Number two, and I hope this is right because it's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Too.
Speaker 1: Her favorite food is peanut butter. I'm gonna say, I'm going to say that's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Wow, Jason should be here more often too. It's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, peanut butter is the best, and everybody knows. It doesn't matter what kind of color hair you got, peanut Butter's amazing. Number three she collects dental molds.
Speaker 2: I feel like this could actually be true.
Speaker 1: I feel like we talked about something like this on Pod Meets World. I think it's true.
Speaker 2: I think it's true too.
Speaker 1: And if it's not, then someone else famous does. I think.
Speaker 2: I feel like she's gone through a lot of stuff with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say true, true.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 1: Are other people?
Speaker 5: No? No, it just said dental molds. She just collects dental.
Speaker 2: I thought it had been like she keeps all of the ones that for the record, we.
Speaker 1: Just want Jason. We just wanted to tell Jensen that he didn't get us this time. Number four she has a mongoose named Kenny Chesney.
Speaker 5: False.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say false. I don't think but.
Speaker 2: She might. I'm gonna say true.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say false.
Speaker 5: She does not have a moment.
Speaker 1: Ah, she has a Kenny Chesney named Mongoose. That's the difference. And finally, number five, Miley was once under investigation for running a secret celebrity casino in her garage. Oh god, I hope this is true.
Speaker 2: Jason, that's just like so absurd.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say true.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I feel like she's you know.
Speaker 5: I can't do this, guys, she's the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's me Shensen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't do it anymore. You're here the whole Yeah, not on my favorite podcast here. No, I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. We should have known. Was that true or false? Then, Jensen?
Speaker 5: That was false?
Speaker 1: I went four for five.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 5: Us U Gentsen Genten The Life of a Pop Star and podcast producers toward.
Speaker 1: I can thank you.
Speaker 2: I can imagine. I can only imagine.
Speaker 1: Can we please do Sabrina sees.
Speaker 2: Sab I mean we talked about it so all of them. I just I have so many. We talked about a lot of them during it, because, like I told you, this was a movie that I actually got to just I couldn't help it but just sit back and fully just enjoy as I was you know, as it's meant to be. Yeah, of course I meant. I mean right away, I'm going teen beach. At the very beginning, I literally was like, oh my gosh, we'll talk about it with our interview. But the wig in the episode was absolutely god awful. It was so bad, and I was so thankful that when we were gonna watch this longer than ninety minute movie, I did not have to see that wig for that amount of time, and the wig was so much better and looked great on Miley. One thing we didn't talk about was, and I thought you were gonna make a little funny bart about it, could we get some security in that tent.
Speaker 1: After Oh, there's security anywhere?
Speaker 2: Let that guy anywhere in this movie. She's a giant. I mean, I would have thought that would have been some kind of sidebar character of this person who's undercover for her but is like a security guard just because nothing.
Speaker 1: Anybody can approach her, grab her, do whatever.
Speaker 2: It's really could have been kidnapped like that because Billy Ray or sorry Bobby Ray was nowhere to be seen for most of the movie with her. He had this relationship which I had such a problem with the whole movie. That's the one thing that I disliked about the movie. I didn't think it was needed. Why do we have two romantic relationships blooming I.
Speaker 1: Just, oh, always, so you're saying you didn't like you didn't like his relationship with Laura Harden.
Speaker 2: Right, this this romantic I didn't feel like it was necessary. It didn't really go anywhere. It didn't because if you watch, I don't it wasn't in the pilot. But again, like I told you, Monroe and I sat and watched five episode the first half season of the first she does start talking about and he has a love interest within the first couple episodes, and she has an issue because her mom has passed away. That's when they start explaining the relationship of where the mom is, she's passed away, and her getting over her dad starting to date. So that's already been done and he has already dated, so gotcha. There was nowhere for it to really be And I just didn't like it. I just didn't see it was necessary except for Billy Ray getting to kiss a gorgeous woman and you know, do that that was really all it was. And then again I said, what the hell? Oh my te Swift. Oh my T Swift she's on stage.
Speaker 4: Really what like I?
Speaker 1: And then again she's all of our T Swift, She's not just your T Swift Sabrina, but it was long to all of us.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, she's there, and holy Ca all amazing for this movie. And then again, I can't wait again, it's right here in my notes. I can't wait for my hoe down showdown with Will and and oh my well.
Speaker 1: Those are good. And now, of course we come to the time in our program when we have to rate our film, as we always do every week, we're rating it one out of ten. This time, I think I'm gonna make one the worst and ten the best, as opposed to all the other times. I'm kidding. That's always how we've done it. Here are options for this week, Serena. We got one out of ten wigs, one out of ten, loosely kept secrets, one out of ten Beyonce Double Pneumonia's Robbie Ray hijacking planes, Dadagers, that's a good one. One out of ten, missing earrings, one out of ten, lobster times, one out of ten, clown pants, or finally, one out of ten Brookshields cameos, Uh, I think you picked last time, didn't you? I can't remember, or did I?
Speaker 2: You can pick this one because I think you should pick this one.
Speaker 1: These are I kind of like, hey, just because I had a problem with it. We're gonna go wigs. We're gonna keep it simple, all right, I keep it very simple. We're gonna go one score.
Speaker 7: Well, can I ask you a question that I think might affect your scoring that I just together that you probably realized earlier. Okay, if Robbie Ray is Hannah Montana's manager, does that mean that people see him managing Hannah Montana and still aren't able to put together that his real daughter is hand.
Speaker 2: No, so let me let you in on what I found out in my five episodes he had. He has also an undercover like.
Speaker 1: Look, it's like another wig.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a mullet her hat.
Speaker 1: He's not the guard he has. He's the guard where he pulls off his thing.
Speaker 2: No, backstage, that's what they didn't keep seamless within the movie. It's not in the movie, but in the show he like looks like some truck her hat with a you know, which I thought was funny that he had a mullet because that's what he has. He's famous for his mullet, so he had that and then a trucker hat. He has an outfit. Her best friend when she was she has like a purple wig. She has like a full blown Descendants.
Speaker 5: Looking got it? Okay, Well now I mean I'm expecting a ten. That made sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're welcome. I've learned a lot in my five episodes.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and Rod.
Speaker 2: Iron named Anna Montana expert at.
Speaker 3: This point, do you want me to go first?
Speaker 2: Went the way?
Speaker 1: All right, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: The way.
Speaker 1: If if we're talking premise, it's a two, it's two wigs for me because I don't buy it. I don't buy that you put on a wig and nobody, nobody's nobody. I just I couldn't get over it. I know that's me and it's just me, and I just have to let it go. I get that it's a two. That being said, as an actual movie for Disney, it was pretty. It was that. The cast was good, some of the music was great as long as you have to go to a hoe down showdown like every everything else was good. So as just a movie, had it not been a premise of just the Wig, I could have seen it being like a seven or an eight, really really could have. But with the wig thing, it threw me. So I'm gonna and I think I'm being generous with this, with my with my wig assessment. I'm giving this five point five wigs because I couldn't get into the premise. I couldn't get into the premise. I just and that's on me. I get it, but I just it's so absurd that you're sitting there with like the guy you're in love with and the guys staring at your face all day, but now you're blonde and he doesn't under he doesn't see you. So I again, same problem with Superman and Clark Kent. This is not just for this movie. I didn't get that either. So I'm gonna go with five and a half based purely on me not buying the premise.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, great, I mean I think that's fair. I as as our listeners know, you need rules. This went against everything there. This did not give.
Speaker 4: You the needs for Will's HI rating.
Speaker 2: It just wasn't gonna happen. I called it as I was watching it. I knew, oh we were just oh another point, well, another half point another half point.
Speaker 1: So I get it.
Speaker 2: I think that, you know, as we all get to love and hate these movies, sure different to us, right, yes, yes, for me, like I told you, I was all in, and I think it partially was because I experienced it with me, my own daughter. But bumps in the road for me, when the hometown didn't know who she was, that was kind of just jarring.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: I didn't love the love interest. I felt like that was just I don't know, I guess a need to give Billy raymore screen time. I'm not really sure what it was for. And then there wasn't really a big like hump in the road in the story besides her getting called.
Speaker 1: Out for being that's the whole premise is.
Speaker 2: That was the premise. Instead, there wasn't as much of like, you know, like we had this thing of the town that was gonna be taken over and then it was like boop, we got a concert. We're good, Yeah, boop done. But I still loved it, I really did it. Still, it brought the notches down a tiny bit. I gave it an eight point five.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a very high scoring wig.
Speaker 2: It would if there was a few things that it probably would have been between that nine and ten. For me, I felt like, again, and I know you disagree, but Disney was brilliant. If this is a yes the mind idea that they executed for their audience. And I was around when this fandom was insane. It was insanity being at one of her concerts. I got to be at the we we did together collectively, we did the Houston Rodeo and it.
Speaker 1: Was that was the big one that you loved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and it was amazing, It was awesome. And so I just feel like this movie was what the fans needed, what they wanted, and Disney gave it to him and kicked it out of the park.
Speaker 1: I will say this, I will bet you many more people agree with you and your score than agree with me. Yes, And I totally understand that.
Speaker 2: I get that might be looking to replace you at this point.
Speaker 1: They should to Jack.
Speaker 4: They need Jack, they need I loved this movie.
Speaker 1: It was the best movie ever know.
Speaker 2: But honestly, truly, when you break it down like that, I feel like that you have to be able to at least respect that idea. And for the people that said that doesn't matter, that's okay too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I get No, I definitely believe way more people are going to agree with you about this. I absolutely, but I think that again, I'm just not into the whole Clark Kent thing. I don't get it. It's okay, I don't get it. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I honestly, if someone had asked me, do you think that will like Superman? I'd be like, absolutely. He loves all.
Speaker 1: Things like that. Batman even changes his voice because he knows you don't want to be recognized. That's part of the point. So yeah, no, I get it. But hey, this is why we're here, and I've also been it's been pointed out, this is our biggest difference between scores ever, between you and I. This is the biggest one so far. So I don't like you anymore. Is what's going on. That's just the way it is.
Speaker 2: Also, I want to say things I don't like all the time.
Speaker 1: That's good. And Also, if you get a knock at the door later today, I had a full size Travis Brody Standy sent to you for your Cowboy Guy. So you're gonna love it. You're gonna love it. Thank you all so much for joining us. I really really appreciate it, and as the Sabrina, I know she's right and I'm not. I'm still just the old man who cannot get over the fact that all she did was change colorver hair, and I know that's on me and it always will be. So send all your hate mails right to Sabrina because I don't need to read them. But thank you everybody. Our next movie is considered by some to be the first dcom ever, but that record has a real asterisk next to it. It's nineteen ninety seven's Northern Lights, starring the legendary Diane Keaton. And we're all gonna have to learn about that asterisk next week and it's an important one. And we already let this count of the bag. But this week's park Opper episode, we chatted with the creator of Hannah Montana and that's so raven a Disney power player. It is Michael Poyer's. He was on the front lines for all this mania that Sabrina has been talking about that surrounded the show. He has a ton to tell us. Here's a little preview of this amazing interview.
Speaker 6: We don't want Achy Breaky Heart to be the dad, right, We're gonna be able to act you know, and we said sure, shared delighted, and he came in and, to our surprise, absolutely nailed it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: But even more than that, he got Mildy from here to.
Speaker 5: Here, oh right, because you can't buy that chemistry.
Speaker 1: No, you can't. Don't miss that one. You're gonna love it. And remember to subscribe to our feed, Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts, And if you could do me a favor, if you could subscribe as yourself and then put on a wig and subscribe as somebody else too, we won't recognize that it's two different people and we'll get twice the view. I'm so excited. Never miss an episode over there, and you can follow us, of course at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. Buy from the three of us Sabrina, myself and Jack Bye.