Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and talk about John Stewart and Stephen A here, because this is a little more fun than nuclear war. Death in nuclear war and ping fascism is.
Speaker 3: Fleeing.
Speaker 2: It's on par I'd say it's likely roughly equivalent. So in any case, Steven A goes on with John Sire. I watched the whole interview. You know, they were growing out, they were like bonding over their next tragic result, which you know, I have some of that going on in my household as well. In any case, the part of the conversation. People were really interested in though, is Stephen a is this like very centristy figure. He also just like he's not a I know, he's like floated this idea of running for president, but his political takes a pret surface level. He's not like deep in the weeds with this kind of stuff, you know. And John Stewart obviously is like deeply in the weeds with this kind of stuff. So they get into a bit of a battle over what is the reason why the Democratic Party with Kamal Harris lost to Trump in this last election cycle. Let's go ahead and listen to how that went down.
Speaker 4: The left definitely blew it. I thought that I thought that the progressive left, the extreme left, really really ruined the election for the Democrats. And that's that's how I view this is the truth, and I think that I think that because that happened, it positioned him to get away with a lot of things. Then you're putting forth some of these policies, whether it's transgender issues of other stuff that they would bring up. You had a lot of people to say, that's not where our focus should lie.
Speaker 5: When don't you think that's their focus focus?
Speaker 3: The right?
Speaker 5: I feel like the right is far more focused on where you go to the bathroom. They allowed what people would consider to be a centrist old guard Democrat to run again for president, and then you say, the progressive left wing is the one that didn't. They didn't choose Joe Biden. They don't have the power in that party. Chuck Schumer is out there, you know, writing eight strongly worded questions to Donald Trump about getting The Progressives are the one going people in this country want medicare for all, do something. They're the ones that have a principal agenda that they are going to put forth that all the Democrats have run from in under the guise of we have to be moderate and we have to be centrist. But that doesn't appeal to changing the culture and dynamic of how this government should work by the people, for the people of the people.
Speaker 4: That's a great argument, and I don't disagree.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying to you is that we're done here.
Speaker 2: So Johnston then goes on Emily to make a case that I think he'll be maybe more sympathetic too than that one.
Speaker 7: I mean that one.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with rights like utterly obsessed with gender identity and genitals at this point, but well, we can pause that debate at.
Speaker 7: The moment.
Speaker 3: On that people can look it up and fought with.
Speaker 7: Piers Morgan on this you can oh much better than me.
Speaker 2: But in any case, he goes on and make this case of like, don't you think the real problem is that Democrats didn't actually like deliver or promise to deliver anything real. And so when you've got Bernie Sanders and AOC and that they're doing this like stop oligarchy to doing, they're saying like, we're going to help you with your wages, We're going to get you held gere, Like, isn't that really the problem is that Democrats had no credibility on actually addressing people's he didn't put it this way, but addressing people's material concerns. And Steve and A couldn't really couldn't really respond to that. He goes, well, that's a good point, and then went on to say, you know, some other stuff. But you know, I thought John did an effective job of positioning this because to just frame it in terms of left right, I think is deeply confusing. And this gets to this other piece of news that just came out, like Josh Holly is now introducing fifteen dollars minimum wage bill in the Senate. I don't know if it'll make it to the floor. I'm sure there's like literally no other Senate Republicans who would vote for it. But really getting to the left of some of the Democrats on an issue that should be a core democratic issue, and no one would look at that and be like, oh, this is going to cause like Josh Holly to lose, or this is going to be bad for Republicans. No, there is a broad recognition that any of this sort of more populous pieces that whether it's Josh Holly or Trump has pushed with the no tax on tips or whatever, that these are good ideas that are also really popular. And so John Stewart's point is basically like Democrats should do more of that, and that would be you know, an effective way of winning people. Oh or if they actually feel like you have credibility delivering on something real to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean, I think this is one of the biggest problems but also opportunities for the left. Opportunities in the sense that Bernie Sanders and Alexandre Acostio Cortez on the fighting aligarchy tour have leaned into I think the opportunities presented by that challenge. So it's actually a challenge that I think forces Democrats to confront those questions. On the other hand, I think part of the problem here is that politically, the left wing of the Democratic Party has the most attractive, appealing, palatable economic agenda. You know, a lot of my conservative friends, like Blanche at that be like what the hell you're talking about. But it's actually much easier to sell voters on Medicare for all than it is to sell voters on the status quo or some tweak to the status Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like we're going to negotiate drug prices or medicare on like five drugs. It's not a don't you feel like your life is transformed by that? I mean it's like, okay, well that's better, I guess, right.
Speaker 3: But the problem is when the left wing's economic solutions are the most palatable and appealing, then you also have the people who have signed the ACLU pledges like Kamala Harris did. That allowed the Republicans to run that ad on supporting taxpayer funded I think it was transition surgeries for incarcerated migrants the most specific thing possible. But I think that's where you see Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Cosio Cortez and Holly is trying to do this from the right, by the way, because it's also a challenge slash opportunity for the right where you have the most MAGA people having economics that are easier to sell, more palatable to sell to general election populations, statewide populations, and all of that, but they're also the ones that are now super super tied down to the MAGA brand. If you look at Holly, for example, a lot of people remember Holly because the image of him with the raised fist outside of the capital in the Mourning of January sixth. So it's not as though any side has like the upper hand politically on the question. It's it's actually something that they're both confronting in their own ways, which is quite interesting.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot to that because what always irritates me is, first of all, number one, it is one Republicans who bring up transgender issues more regularly than Democrats because they feel like it's a good issue for them.
Speaker 7: There's a.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, try meum, So there's an obsession.
Speaker 7: There is an obsession there. I mean, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: But what drives me crazy is I'm like, Okay, so let's accept that, like democratic positioning on the specific issue, not even transgender issues in general, the specific issue of transgender girls in sports, let's accept that democratic positioning on that is not in sync with public opinion. Look at how many wildly unpopular things that Trump says, does and embraces, pardoning the violent January six ers, some of whom beat up cops pulls at about like ten percent, Okay, wildly unpopular, a bunch of the things that were done at DOJE wildly unpopular, insane across the board, haphazard tariffs, wildly unpopular. So then you ask the question, Okay, so if if both sides have and I would say that Trump has specifically more issues that pull way worse than the overall broad like democratic program or what Kamway Harris specifically ran on where you know she intentionally in her campaign didn't talk about a lot of the things that were less popular.
Speaker 7: For if Trump has, let's just call it even.
Speaker 2: And they both have unpopular issues that you know that they support and that they have said things about in the past. Why does it matter for one and not the other? And to me, the reason is number one, Trump is just a talented figure. Number two, he has a story that I think is wrong and bad and evil in all of those things, but makes some sense. The reason your life is bad is because of immigrants, trans people, cultural elites. So if people sort of broadly get on board with that narrative, they're willing to forgive and forget some of the bullshit that is like wildly indefensible. Democrats first of all, don't seem like they stand for literally anything at all, which is why this whole like pull testing. Let me put my finger in the wind, let me try to reposition on trans issues, let me like focus test some response on girls in sports that's gonna not piss off this person, but is gonna appeal to a moderate, etc. People can smell that a mile away. So if you don't have a coherent story to tell and there aren't things that you are demonstrably willing to fight for, then yeah, they're going to have a lot more room to tar you with your least popular positions and frame them in the way that they want to frame them. So to me, That's the big difference between why the rights, why Trump specifically unpopular issues don't seem to matter as much as Democrats is because Democrats frequently don't have a spine, don't stand out for themselves, don't have principles they're willing to stand on, aren't willing to fight for anything, and don't have a coherent story about what has gone wrong or honesty really about the struggles that people are facing. Bernie Sanders is the most popular politician in the country right now, most popular politician in the country. Does he have a different position on trans issues?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 7: No, he doesn't.
Speaker 2: The reason is because he has credibility on fighting for things that people care about, and he has a story that makes sense to people about who is screwing them over, why things have gone sideways in this country, and how critically it could be put back on track.
Speaker 3: Right people believe him speaking of the opportunities created by all of this. Let's put d three on the screen and talk about zomentum so zoron momdani his Actually he's now trailing according to this new pole Andrew Cuomo in a one to one race. So keep that in mind. He's now trailing Cuomo by only two points. My suspicion is that that's at least pretty close to the margin of error. I'll have to go look at the pole here. But that was also conducted before the Alexandria Occassio Cortes endorsement of Zoron, Mom, Donnie, and we can put D four on the screen as well.
Speaker 7: Dan before the debate, which went well for Zoron.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and went very poorly for Cuomo. So big thing for Zoron here across the board. The places where he lower net favorabilities are just the places where fewer voters know about him to have an opinion. No demo has particularly high unfavorables for him overall. And then another post, a tale of two candidates. Zoron plus forty three net favorability twenty eight percent haven't heard enough, Cuomo minus one net favorability, three percent haven't heard enough, So.
Speaker 7: Crystal room to grow for Zoran.
Speaker 3: Well, also, you heard it here first, truly, you heard it here first. Zomentum is absolutely realm is absolutely real.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, I want to be fair and say there are other poles out Salem's rejoined the chat. There are other poles out that show a larger gap in favor of Cuomo. This particular polling outfit, though, was extremely accurate in the Eric Adams mayor race. It's not a crazy poll right, No, they do have a track record. I don't think anyone denies that Zoron has significant momentum right now. And this poll coming before the debate before AOC endorses, is significant because interestingly, in terms of the gender divide, Zoran is actually doing better with men. So Democrats, if you're looking for a candidate who can appeal to men, and specifically actually white men, there's something to learn from Zoron's candiacy because he's doing really well with young white men are probably his, I'm quite confident are his best demographic. So he's got some answers for you in this whole man conversation. But you know, the point about the groups where he's faring the poorest are also the ones that know the least about him, I think is a really important one and may help to explain some of why women are voting more for Cuomo than Zoran at this point, which disturbing and really a little bit head scratching, but women also knew less about Zoran at this point, so there may be rooms to grow there. You know, he still has some of the demographic challenges that have plagued the left. I think, you know, older black voters are the weakest demographic for him. Makes sense because you have a larger number of conservatives who you know, older black voters tend to as a group be more conservative than some of the other parts of the Democratic He's he's doing pretty well with Latinos though, so he's gained a lot of ground there, and you know, we'll see they're hitting him quite hard. They're really trying to go after him in all sorts of ways, and it's it's going to be continue to be a difficult hill to climb. But I think if you're looking at who has room to grow, obviously he is way more favorable, way higher favorability than Cuomo. I think he's you know, he's really got a shot in this thing, which is pretty wild and pretty extraordinary commentary on the way that the Democratic base has moved in Trump two point zero as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that favorability gap is insane and it'll be really sad if New Yorkers are stuck with Andrew Cuomo because I don't think anybody wants that. Even people who are saying they're maybe favorable to Andrew Cuomo are probably favorable to him in the respect that they don't like the other candidates, and they're like, Okay, he's fine, I know him, but really, nobody wants Andrew Cuomo to be the mayor of New York City. I mean, maybe like five people want Andrew Cuomo to the mayor of New York City. They're all named Cuomo. So if voters are stuck, maybe they're uncomfortable with Zoron's full democratic socialist platform. And honestly, that's fully understandable, especially after the city was mismanaged under build the Blasio Like, I get it, I get it. So if you're forced to choose between Andrew Cuomo and somebody who's, by his own admission, on the left flank, that just sucks for voters. So if it ends up Cuomo, I mean, good luck. Everyone, Like, that's just I'm sorry that those are your those are your choices.
Speaker 2: Let me let me say something about the way Zorn's run his campaign though, too. Yeah, because to the you know circles back to the like John Stair Stephen A Smith to tion and positioning. So Zoron has you know, all the lefty positions, no doubt about it. His tagline is Zoron for New York you can afford. And every time we've played as clips, you guys talk to him, like every time you talk to him, you know what his policy platform is. Freeze the rent, you know, government owned grocery stores to compete so that you can, you know, in food desert, so that you have some fresh fruit food options. He is laser focused on housing in particular, free bussing, you know, so that people can ride public transit, and additional investments in public transit. People know what his platform is, they know what he stands for. It's really clear. He has a very clear message, very clear story about what has gone wrong in New York, the way it's become an intentionally a luxury good under mayors like Bloomberg and Juliani and Eric Adams. And he wants to make it so that you can live in New York and it doesn't have to be such a struggle. Now, will one person be able to accomplish that in one term? No, But he's put forward some achievable. I think concrete goals that people can really wrap their heads around. And that's why his campaign has taken And it's not just against Cuomo, Like there are a bunch of long time established New York City palls in this race who were getting no traction. He has sucked up all of the oxygen, all of the like not Cuomo oxygen. And it's a real testament to the strength of his very straightforward proposition and his direct pitch to people's materials concerns and his story about you know, how how we got.
Speaker 7: Here and what went wrong as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the white the white bros, the young men, Emily, they're eating it up again. Lessons to be learned here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's how aoc one and it's not like esoteric DSA naval gazing. It's yeah, a huge lesson I think for for National Democrats. So Crystal, should we move on to updates in the case of Gretit Sunberg.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 2: We've been covering the Gaza Aid Freedom flotilla, which was intercepted in international waters illegally by Israel. The members of that vessel were, including Greta Tunberg, were arrested, in President Trump's words and mine as well, kidnapped by Israel, taken to an Israeli prison, and then they, in order to effectuate their release, were made to sign these forms that would consent to their deportation but also would confess to basically illegally entering Israel, which is not what happened whatsoever. So some of the activists have refused to sign those forms. Greta did sign the form and has been released. She was flown back to Sweden. Reporters spoke to her there about the ordeal and why she did what she did. Let's go ahead and take a listen to a little bit of what she had to say.
Speaker 3: Berg is speaking to reporters. Let's take a listen to what she has to say.
Speaker 8: Yeah, on international waters, we were illegally attacked and kidnapped by Israel and the taken against our will to Israel, where we were detained and then some of us deported.
Speaker 3: Some are still there.
Speaker 4: Uh, there are very.
Speaker 8: Big uncertainties because it was quite chaotic and uncertainly, so I don't really know what's going on. I haven't had a phone for many days, and I the last few hours they were absolutely nothing compared to what what people are going through in Palestine, especially Gaza right now, and it is this is yet another international a violation of international rights, adding to the list of countless of such especially towards Palestinian that Israel are committing by blocking and preventing humanitarian aid from entering Gaza.
Speaker 3: That is a that is illegal.
Speaker 8: Sandwiches. Yeah, they probably have posted lots of pr stunt videos. As I said, I have not seen anything, but they did an illegal act by kidnapping us on international waters and against our will, bringing us to Israel, keeping us in the bottom of the boat, not letting us getting out and so on. But that is not the real story here.
Speaker 3: The real story is.
Speaker 8: That there's a genocide going on in Gaza and a systematic starvation following the seas and blockade now which is leading to food, medicine, water that are desperately needed to get into Gaza is prevented from doing so. But of course there are many attempts like this mission, both by seeing and land to break that siege and open up a humanitarian corridor. And this was a mission of attempting to once again bring aid to Gaza, which is desperately needed, but also to send solidarity and say that we see you, we see what is happening, and we cannot accept just see witnessing all this and doing nothing.
Speaker 3: That can never be an option.
Speaker 2: She also spoke more about how these horrors in Gaza have been allowed to persis. Let's go ahead and take a listen to her reaction there.
Speaker 9: Why do you think so many countries governments around the world are just ignoring what is happening in Gaza because of racism, That's the simple answer.
Speaker 8: I would say, racism and basically desperately trying to defend a destructive, deadly system that systematically puts a short term economic profit.
Speaker 9: And to maximize due political power over the well being of humans and the planet.
Speaker 3: And right now.
Speaker 9: It's very, very difficult to mortally defend that. It is impossible, but still they are desperately trying, which is absurd is not the word, but in words to describe it.
Speaker 2: And Emily, I'm curious for your reaction to this. You know, there's a lot I think that she said there that is interesting, but in particular I want to highlight that she mentions this isn't part of just one effort, and in fact, the organization that she's involved with. We spoke with the the spokesperson for the Freedom Flotilla group. They plan to attempt this many more times, and there are two separate additional efforts that they're in coordination with to also try to break the siege. So there's been a lot of discussion about Greta in particular. What do you make of of what's gone down here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't have a like super I think it kind of went exactly as I expected that it would, and you know, it's better actually than it could have gone. It's a little interesting.
Speaker 6: Was low.
Speaker 3: The bar was really low. Bar was really low, and you know, the it's interesting that people still over there. I also think, hey, this is an example of people putting their money where their mouth is and actually doing the thing, walking the walk. So you know, even if I disagree with her, I'm not mad about it.
Speaker 7: To be honest, it was genuinely courageous. I mean, that's to me.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is, look, she is a high profile person. People paid much more attention to this effort because she was on board. I think Israel's reaction, which I don't want to underplay, I mean, it was illegal, like they acted as pirates kidnapping even like I said before Trump called it, so they kidnapped her, right, but they didn't kill her, which they've done before with you know, humanitarian activists previously back in twenty ten. And in fact, the spokesperson we talked to was on board that ship that they attacked and killed ten people who were on board, So they didn't do that. And you know, I think that level of quote unquote restraint also is partly attributable to the fact that they realized, like, shit, we can't kill Greta Tunberg, like this is gonna there's gonna be a lot of international attention to that. So I think she very effectively used the large platform that she has undertook an action that was genuinely courageous, that entailed genuine personal discomfort and extreme risk in order to try to do something. And so you know, if you have I saw Omar Botder front of the show tweeting like if you had one thousand people who did the same thing and also sent ships trying to break the siege, it would become you know, intercepting all of those people and trying to hold on to this blockade preventing starving people from getting food like that would become unsustainable with even you know, a comparatively small level of organization that Greta has you know, made much more likely and much more possible here. So I think what she did was extraordinary. I think I don't know, I don't really understand why the right really fixates on her and really hates her in the way that they do. But I think she's also proved a lot of the haters wrong who felt like she had this sort of like corporate friendly level of you know, approved activism. This was certainly not in that vein both because of the danger of the action and also because there is nothing corporate approved about standing up for Palestinian rights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think she had like a youthful naivete that was easy to make fun of. On the climate issue, I genuinely feel badly for anybody who gets famous as a child, whether it was their choice, their parents' choice, or nobody's choice. So I feel like she's growing up in front of cameras and panopticon and that just sucks. But much more this is a this is a version of Greta Tunberg that has definitely grown up compared to them. There's there's no question about it. Big w Forgreta on this one, not for Bebe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say, so, let's go and put this image up on the screen. This is the latest video of a quote unquote AID and the way that this operation looks, I know drop site is reporting that you had another massacre in the context of Hungary Palace to means attempting to obtain AID from this Gaza Humanitarian Foundation. You know, hundreds of people now who have been killed because of this setup of this aid effectively trap at this point, and at the same time, we also have the ambassador to Israel, Mike Kakabee, who is kat Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The ambassador at a breaking points.
Speaker 2: Salem, Salem, Yes, Mike Kakabee significantly changing US policy and just I mean making it plain now we don't we don't support the previous contours of any idea of a two state solution.
Speaker 7: Let's go ahead and take a listen to that.
Speaker 10: I think the question is what does that Palestinian state look like? Okay, where is it? Where is it going to be? Well, what does it have to be in Judae and Samaria? Does it need to be somewhere different. Does it need to be an opportunity for people to have a true place that is completely their own, or is it going to be in the existing areas that are currently under the dominion of the PA. So there's a lot of questions. That's why I'm saying I don't believe anybody can say it's impossible, it will never happen. But if someone wants to declare that this is the exact strip of geography that is going to be the future Palestinian state, that's where the complication comes from.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe the word is exact, that's the problem.
Speaker 5: Are you suggesting that somewhere other than mandatory Palestine area, that it could be in Saudi Arabia or something.
Speaker 10: I'm just saying that I think every option should be and could be on the table.
Speaker 2: Wow, what did you Yeah, what did you make of that? Emily So he's designed but not in Palestine.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but he's also like being clever and winking and nodding and saying, basically, Palestine is impossible because none of that land belongs to Palestine from his perspective, and.
Speaker 7: It stands the area.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It reminds me of when the Biden administration. Joe Biden is mister two state solution is funding a war for Netsan, Yaho, who is explicitly against the idea of a two state solution. Here you have Mike Kuckabee actually saying something very different than the president himself. And Trump is hard to pin down on this issue obviously, like is his Mara Gaza idea technically under the umbrella of a Palestinian state as Propalestine activists would define it. No, absolutely not. But he also would not be comfortable with just saying, hey, screw it, give it all to Israel because he has all of these relationships with other Arab states that he thinks are important and contingent upon finding a fair solution or a solution that they see is fair for the people of Palestine. So Mike Cockabe in that clip, it's not at all surprising. He's saying exactly what you know, people from the dispensationalist evangelical movement believe about that land, and it happens to be what a lot of Israelis believe about that land. But it's not what the quote unquote America First movement believes about that that believes about the solution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it is quite consistent with Trump's like We're going to ethnically cleanse Gaza and push them somewhere else. Like it certainly fits with that. And we know there have been discussions that have been ongoing with a variety of different countries to try to push them to accept these Palestinian refugees that Trump wants to create. And so you know, I think it's I think it's part and parcel with that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The easy thing to say here is like, okay, well, if you've made it impossible to have a two state solution with the ongoing settlement, illegal settlement project, which all Israeli prime ministers have engaged in, by the way, but have really ramped up in recent years under net Yahoo and specifically post October seven, if you've made that impossible, okay, then how about everybody gets equal rights?
Speaker 7: How about that?
Speaker 2: How about you just live up to your rhetoric about how you know, you don't discriminate in your democracy and making an actual democracy where everybody's actually treated equally. Because if a two state solution is not going to be possible, and you're putting that off the table and you're doing everything you can which is a stated goal of Nan Yahoo to make it. So that's impossible. Well, that's the other solution that's available to you.
Speaker 3: But in a sense, I don't think he's being honest about it. In a sense, it's the like sadly realistic situation on the ground is that that area in I mean, he's in Jerusalem right there, but you know, the Temple mount, I mean the Al Aksa, Like nobody wants that to be given to the other side, is least of all people who are of the like dispensationalist ideology as people like Mike Huckabee. Are you know that's so?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean is it impossible?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 3: Or should it be impossible? No? And I think that's where the just depressing reality sets in.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we've got a great guest standing by to talk about some extraordinary developments with regard to AI, So let's go ahead and get to that. There have been a bunch of very significant developments with regard to AI development that we did not want to lose sight of this week. So really excited to be joined this morning by tarn Steinbreckner Kaufman. She's the CEO of the Golden Gate Institute, for AI On. She's going to take us through some of these developments. Taran is great to have you, great to meet you.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much. It's lovely to be here.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, in the wake of the protests, which at times turned violent in La, there has been an effort to spread all kinds of propaganda, as is quite typical in these news cycles these days, but added to the mix now we have these just outright AI generated scenes, which this one in particular, I'm about to show. It's kind of crazy to me that some people even thought this was real, because it takes a very surreal turn quite quickly, but some people did just watch a piece of it and actually think that it was real. So, you know, that's putting aside more sort of sophisticated efforts to create these images and shape people's understanding of events that are happening in this country. So let's go ahead and take a look at this one video in particular AI generated that went viral.
Speaker 6: Why are you rioting? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was paid to be here and I just want to destroy stuff? Is what you are doing illegal?
Speaker 7: Well, these are peaceful protests. Even that guy over there says so and so Taren.
Speaker 2: This really speaks to one of the concerns people have with regard to AI development, which is just how difficult it makes it to sort through what even is reality.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is really important issue. Uh, these are going to get One thing to know is that these are going to get much more realistic.
Speaker 6: Like these are.
Speaker 11: You know, if you're a discerning eye and you sort of know what you're looking for, it's pretty obvious that this is AI generated. Still it kind of has like a sheene, it doesn't quite kind of look exactly photo realistic. And they've gotten much more realistic in the last year, and they're going to keep getting much more realistic. I would assume that a year from now I won't be able to tell easily whether something like that is real or not based on the actual images and audio. The second thing, you know is this is a really hard problem to solve. I've heard, you know, lots of solutions floating around, like we should you know, require AI generated video to have a water mark, or we should you know, It's just really hard. It's not really clear how any policy solution at scale could work to to you know, to stop bad actors from making videos and circular them that are not real. And the third thing which you pointed to, I think is this is sort of what I call the truth fog, which is it goes beyond the effect of the actual negative videos, the false videos, which is to say that like now, I can't you know, in a year, I don't think I'm going to be able to tell whether a video is real, which is going to make me discredit true videos evidence as well. Right, And that's a problem too, because anything, you know, I'll be able to share. If I share a video of you know, a candidate for president saying something and I'm like, you should vote for them because they said this, people are going to be like, how do I know they actually said that?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: And we are I think Emily already seeing some of that. I know there was an incident with regard to a doctor in Gaza whose kids were killed by the Israelis, and there was you know, video of the aftermath, the horrific aftermath of that, and there are all these claims that the videos weren't real, that these were just AI generated. I think we're already seeing some of that fall out that Tarren's talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good point. I mean, it just becomes harder to trust anything at all. I wanted to ask about this news both from The New York Times in Bloomberg that Mark Zuckerberg is announcing a nine figure by to bring top talent on for quote unquote super intelligence. You know that that year timescale. I'm glad you mentioned it because it was one of the things I asked about you. At what point are we going to have a situation where even experts have to exert a huge amount of effort to tell what's real and what's fake on social media and even then maybe have a hard time doing it. What does super intelligence mean as defined by Mark Zuckerberg and the industry, and is this, you know, hurdling us even more quickly along in that timeline.
Speaker 11: Everybody has their own term. There's super intelligence, there's advanced general or artificial general intelligence, agi there's a There's all these terms floating around, and a lot of people don't define what they mean by them. So I don't know exactly what Mark Zuckerberg means. Like when I think about this, what I'm thinking about is an artificial intelligence that can do most or almost all of the things that humans can do on a computer.
Speaker 6: And that includes there for many many jobs.
Speaker 11: There are many many jobs that people can do from their computer, and when we have an artificial intelligence that can do all of those tasks remotely, that's obviously going to have very huge economic impacts. It's going to have a lot of other impacts on society as well. So that's my own definition, and I think it's probably sort of roughly aligned with many people in the industry's definition. But as I said, different people mean different things. I mean, I think the number one thing to take away for there's still a large segment of people, I think who dismiss AI as hype and you know, sort of like, oh, this is kind of like crypto, like this thing these tech bros and Silicon Valley are doing. Mark Zuckerberg has never paid anyone nine figures for crypto. R AI is in a different category, and everybody needs to be taking it very seriously. It's going to have extremely large impacts on the economy, on the way our democracy works, and on the rest of our society in many many ways. And then I think that that's my number one takeaway from this is like, look, the world's largest corporations are taking this extremely seriously.
Speaker 6: And you need to as well.
Speaker 2: What does it look like to you to take this extremely seriously, because I feel like that's where I get a little lost. I am deeply concerned. I think the job loss is going to be extraordinary. I don't put off the table some of the most maximust dystopian possibilities here as well. But I'm not really sure what to do about it at this point, because you have this administration that is totally like no breaks on.
Speaker 7: The car Wild Wild West.
Speaker 2: We've got to we're in this race versus China, and we've got to be the first to get to it, and they, you know, have this very aggressive no regulations approach to it. You have people like Sam Altman and others who are overtly out there like, yeah, we want to replace as much of human labor and possibly all of humor human labor as possible, and we're probably going to have to completely upend the social contract in order for this to all work out.
Speaker 7: And yet, you know, I don't see any.
Speaker 2: Real large scale conversation, which is where you come in, about what that new social contract is going to look like and how we're going to make sure that people outside of trillionaires are okay in that new world. So when you say something like we need to be taken seriously, like what specific things do you have in mind in particular?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's hard because the field is moving so fast that we haven't had time for a real like civil society ecosystem to evolve around AI.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So if you're somebody who might have the like interesting wherewithal in like starting a new organization around AI, there are gaps everywhere. Like here's an example is I don't know of any concerted programs to educate state legislators about AI.
Speaker 6: That's just like one example.
Speaker 11: Another example is, like I've heard many experts in the field, like Ezra Klein and Kevin Russ and think tank people in DC say we don't have nearly enough economic frameworks for thinking about how about the labor dislocations that we expect are going to happen from AI.
Speaker 6: It's not like there's just gaps everywhere.
Speaker 11: If you're familiar with this field, if you think that somebody is doing something about AI, and you've got an idea that somebody should be doing something, probably nobody is yet or certainly not enough people. So you should go like investigate and like maybe think about starting an effort in that field. And I don't think that there are a lot of pathways yet for people who to like engage, but I think, but I think you should call your legislators. I think you should talk to your legislators about how big of an issue this is, how much you're worried about it. Right now, AI is still not showing up as a big issue in public opinion polling, and legislators and politicians aren't hearing that much about it. I mean when I say it's not showing if this big issue, I mean it's not showing up. Like if you ask people what their top issues are, what they're most worried about, AI is not showing up on those lists.
Speaker 6: And we need to shift politicians perceptions of that.
Speaker 11: So if you're not going to go start a new organization, you can at least like talk to your to your legislators and your representatives about why what they You know that they need to be paying attention to this.
Speaker 3: And I want to ask, oh, go ahead, go ahead, was it? I want to ask about this next element we put on the screen the Apple paper that went viral and got a lot of reactions to it. This post from Reuben Hassid says Apple just proved AI quote unquote reasoning models like Claude Deepseagar one, and oh three many don't actually reason at all. They just memorize patterns really well, here's what Apple discovered parentheses. Hint, we're not as close to AGI as the hype suggests. I read that post and I think, okay, yeah, I mean, no, they don't reason, they just memorize patterns really well, they're freaking computers. Yes, that's exactly right. But then, on the other hand, to use that as a way to dismiss the our current proximity to AGI and to say that this is all over hyped and it's it's really moving very slowly seems ill advised. And I just kind of wanted to get your reaction to I guess your reaction to the reaction from that paper. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Look, there's a set of people out there who do make their money off of and their and their fame off of dismissing AI, and you know they'll sort of seize onto papers like this to do that. I don't think that this paper is actually that big.
Speaker 6: Of a deal.
Speaker 11: In some sense, it's not saying anything that's particularly surprising. As you pointed out, it's it's asking the models to do a set of very hard problems, and they at some point are like, basically, the models are like, this problem is too hard. I'm going to stop now, and then the authors, well, I don't even think the authors aren't necessarily interpreting that as these models aren't good at what they do. It's then there's a sort of a whole you know, Twitter ecosystem that's like, well, now we've proved that these models aren't good at what they do. Guess what if you give me one of these hard problems that they gave these models. I'm also going to be like, yeah, sorry, I don't have time for this. This is like you've because had a said I have to solve this. They give the models constraints like you have to solve this in a certain context window, which is maybe roughly equivalent to telling me I have an hour to solve it, and I'm like, I can't solve that problem in an hour, So I'm going to stop now and then interpreting. But I hope you all think that I'm artificial intelligence or sorry, I'm general intelligence, right, I'm not artificial intelligence.
Speaker 6: And so they're sort of actually in.
Speaker 11: Some ways behaving a lot like humans in these situations, and we're interpreting. Some people are interpreting that as saying that they aren't smart, which I think is just not true.
Speaker 2: Another thing that I've wondered is there's this sort of like line that's drawn. We were talking about the metaproject to develop AGI ared Official General Intelligence, and you were saying, there's all kinds of different terminologies for you know, meaning whatever this milestone is, Like how much of a just sort of like line that you cross is AGI and how much of it is more of a sense. And it's a little bit hard to tell whether you're there or you're not. Like, help me understand when people talk about AGI, how much it will be clear when we've achieved this whatever this benchmark is. Because I also see things like you I see that study from you know, I see that particular study that was going around. I also see these other studies where AI is scheming to make sure it's not getting shut off and trying to like blackmail an engineer with an affair that they think the engineer is engaged in to avoid having their programming change. You know, I see things that are deeply disturbing in terms of AI engaging in. I mean those are very like human type behaviors and trying to defy the wishes of their programmers.
Speaker 7: So where are we in that development and will we.
Speaker 2: Really Is it like this hard fast line of we are not at AGI and now we are at AGI and it's very clear cut.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is a great question. I think different. Well, I think most people in the industry would say it's not a hard line. And there's there's a term that's called the jagged frontier. It's like the models can be very good at some things and very bad other things that humans can do. That by the same token, you could say that humans have a jagged frontier, like humans are very good at some things compared to AI, and very bad at other things.
Speaker 6: Compared to current AI.
Speaker 11: So I don't think we're going to immediately cross the rubicon of like suddenly the models are very are better than humans at everything, including for instance, operating a physical body in physical space. Right, that's not going to happen literally overnight, probably, But you always have to qualify everything you say about AI as like I think so probably anybody who's not qualifying their statements. I think you have to give you have to be worried about how much you can trust what they're saying. So, but I think that you know we are we at AGI now. I mean, it's an interesting question because for a long time, the test that everybody thought we were going to use for this was called the Turing test, and people who haven't heard of it, the Turing test is you put a human behind a computer and an AI behind a computer or in the computer, and then you have another human interview both of them, right, And if the human who's interviewing can't tell whether they're talking to the other human or to the AI, then the AI has passed the Turing test of intelligence. And these models pass that test now, the cutting edge models, right, and so by that define the definition that we had all used for literally decades, invented by Alan Turing.
Speaker 6: We've already gotten there.
Speaker 11: And yet these models are very bad at a lot of things that humans are good at. And I don't I think anybody is anybody of serious repute as saying we've actually hit AGI. So the goalposts are moving over time, I think the goalposts will keep moving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the train of acceleration is just unbelievable. I was listening to an old through Line episode on Ralph Nader and thinking about this, actually, because that's from car accidents used to be like five times as high as they are now. It took us actually a really long time and a lot of tragedy to adapt our policies to make our roads relatively safe. I mean, relatively is an important word there. And I guess I'm just wondering how optimistic you are about the policy evolution meeting the moment, because right now it looks very bleak for some understandable reasons. I mean, it's hard to define, it's hard to see what the future looks like exactly. Things are moving very quick, but it just seems like the reaction is completely non existent here in DC.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of reasons to be pessimistic. I think the reason to be optimistic is sort of like, if you take a step back, humanity has faced a lot of threats in the past, and so far we've survived them all right, And so you know, humans are resilient, and we do live in an era when lots of people have agency.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 11: I hope, I mean, these are choices we are making right. These are not inevitable conclusions. These are choices that we as individuals and as society are making about how to respond to AI. And I hope we can rise to this challenge. I don't think it's impossible, but it is a huge challenge, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 7: Karen.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us this morning. It's been great to chat with you. Let people know where they can find you and follow the work that you guys are doing.
Speaker 11: Thanks so much. Golden Gate Institute dot org. And we've got a newsletter that you can subscribe to where we try to make sense of what's happening in AI for folks who are outside of the Silicon Valley bubble.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I'm definitely going to subscribe to that. Thank you so much again, and we'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 7: Really interesting talking to Tarin there.
Speaker 3: Huh, Emily, Christal, I feel like we are at a breaking point with regard to the end of the show. Okay, see you got me that I walked into it and I didn't expect it. But both of us should go to prison for what we just did.
Speaker 2: Indeed, all right, I'm sure Trump stormtroopers will be here to Russa shortly.
Speaker 7: Emily.
Speaker 2: Always great to see you guys. Thank you so much for watching the show. Let's see you today is Wednesday. Tomorrow I will be in with Sager, so we'll have all of the leadus for you guys. Then, thank you for subscribing over at Breaking Points. Make sure you use that free promo code BP free and there it is up on the screen BP free Breakingpoints dot Com. And we will see you guys tomorrow.
Speaker 3: See you then,