Speaker 1: Sabrina. Yes, We'll get into why you're laughing later, because I'm laughing for the same reason. However, I did want to ask, Okay, who was the first celebrity you ever met? Oh my gosh, even a local celebrity.
Speaker 2: No, I know exactly who it was. I did.
Speaker 3: Like a telethon that Tony Danza was hosting Angela and I I walked into a like it was like the CBS, like we're We're Dancing with the Stars films, right, And it's in one of those old elevators. You know, the smells come back do you instantly, like just being in those rooms or those buildings. And I was doing a telethon and I was doing a tap dance solo, and I knew he was going to be their hosting, but I didn't. I just like walked into the elevator and there he was. And it was one of those moments where I was little. I was probably like eleven or twelve, and I kind of got starstruck because I hadn't I had never seen a celebrity before, like in real life, and I just looked at him and me probably like four ten. I was so small for so long, was like you're taller than I thought you'd be.
Speaker 2: And he's like, you're shorter than I thought you'd be. And I was like, fair, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh that was it.
Speaker 2: And the doors opened and right.
Speaker 3: But I just like, that's the only thing that came out of my mouth. I was literally just sitting there because I had watched him obviously on TV for so long. I knew he was going to be there, Like it was. I just got star starstruck like that, And I don't think I've literally really ever gotten starstruck very much since.
Speaker 1: I think, Wow, I've been starstruck before. Yeah, I think my two biggest starstrucks were because I've ever asked. Well, my first one ever, you would not know because it was he was a local guy. The first one was Don Lark, Channel three News, Connecticut got and so I was doing a play in Connecticut with his son, Jumper, who they named Jumper because I guess when he was in the womb he kicked and shut a door, so they called him Jumper. And his dad was Don Lark Channel three News, and so he came to the play and I was like, that's Don Lark. But I've only asked for autographs from two people and it was Tony Hawk signed signed my Tony Hawk video game because I also did the voice in it. I'm the character you can play no way. Oh dude, it's the coolest thing. So when you go to Talk American Ways, Hey.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a big fan of you, and all the voice over I called you was God, right, like the voice over God, but.
Speaker 2: The Tony Hawk. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Oh? It gets even cooler because the first thing you do is you build your character. So it's just called you the character, and you can make it look like however you want. So I'm the only person in the world that can make the character look just like me. And it's my voice.
Speaker 3: I thought my girlfriend Erica had a flex because Talk Tony Hawk's her godfather, her Dado.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but to say you're the voice her dad.
Speaker 3: Jerry Madrid Madrid Boards was Tony's first sponsor Tony since he was little and when he started that, we met in college and.
Speaker 2: She was like, oh yeah, my, she like, I forget what we were doing.
Speaker 3: We were trying to get like like find things to do, like a like a silent auction thing, and she's like, oh, I can get Tony Hawk, like she talked about all these things and we're.
Speaker 2: Like, Okay, that's cool, but like kind of weird. How do you know all the time she's like, oh, he's my godfather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty cool. That's a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 3: That's a big saying you're the actual because everyone knows your voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah instantly when.
Speaker 1: That starts, fun too. Yeah. But then the second person is the second man ever walked in the moon. Buzz Aldron second, the second two people I asked for autographs from, so.
Speaker 2: I, wow, way where did you get that one?
Speaker 1: At Disney Disneyland because he you know, he was the inspiration for buzz light Year, right, So he was there at one of the events and I walked up and no one was around him, and I was like, that's buzz. I'm a huge fan of space, so the fact that Artem is two right now is like going to the dark side of I'm freaking out. So I was like, oh my god, that's buzz Aldron. And then I went up and I asked him like, can you please sign this for me? He was very very nice to me, So yeah, it was uh, it was cool. Those are my two autographs.
Speaker 2: Was he on Dancing with the Stars?
Speaker 1: Buzz Aldron, I don't you're asking me? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know when I do that, it's like I'm asking, actually, Lisa.
Speaker 1: Who's okay exactly because I know you're not asking.
Speaker 3: There was an astronaut that was like a big one that was on Dancing with Stars.
Speaker 2: He was paired with yea, it was with Cheryl burt here At.
Speaker 1: Cheryl Burke bys Aldrin. Well, the man walked on the Moon in one six gravity. So if you can do that, you can dance with anybody. Well, welcome to Magical Rewind, my friends, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorning back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves tsunamis, and some of the movies were better than this one.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilfredell and I am Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 1: Well, this week, it's time for another normal run of the mill girl brush up with Hollywood superstardom, Way out of our League, a dcom world's collide trope that we all love. Yes, it's time for twenty ten's musical teen drama Starstruck, and I think it does have a exclamation point. I'm not sure, but I'm gonna say it as if it does. Yes. Starstruck premiered on February fourteenth, twenty ten. Yes, Saint Valentine's Day, a perfect holiday for this love story to be tied with. We may have seen this plot before, but this one was shot in Los Angeles, which is a very rare occurrence when it comes to these Disney Channel original movies. Another crazy difference for Starstruck is that, because they aimed for a Valentine's Day debut, it aired on a Sunday night, the first ever to claim that day of the week. Wow, and you might be wondering, Hey, will Sabrina, I'm wondering did that decision affect its viewership? Here to tell you the answer is astounding.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: It pulled in six million viewers on a Sunday night, a large enough number to become the channel's most watched February original movie premiere in total viewers kids seven to eleven and with teens. This was a big number, even just in the overall picture of d COM's in a year like twenty ten, and still very impressive to this day. Considering at the end of the day, it really lacked any true star power. I guess it's a good time now, Sabrina. Before it ended up on our schedule and this was required reading. Did you know about Starstruck? No?
Speaker 2: I think today is gonna be quick.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a rough one, isn't it. Today's gonna be a rough one.
Speaker 2: Is it gonna be quick?
Speaker 3: Answers for me? And I have anxiety about it because just a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of adjida, what the fans are gonna think? Yes, you kind of let it go? You can't. I don't want to go.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: The thing is, this was twenty ten, so right out of my radar of really doing like Disney stuff, just like right out of that little like you know, pigeonhole thing that I was in, and I don't. I don't recognize either of the kids, like I didn't. Again, I don't know. I don't think I ever met them. I don't, you know, So I don't know were they big stars, have no idea. I it was just a complete unknown for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, and me too. I didn't obviously didn't know anything about this, But that's par for the course. Well, let's get into it. Some may recognize at least the synopsis thanks to another movie we recapped, which, if memory serves, we kind of liked the two thousand and four's exploition into another pop star stuck in the suburbs, which I think we liked, didn't we We did? But also maybe even My Date with the President's Daughter had the same kind of plot but with the gender flips. But Mars was better, and Starstruck, being a film based in the world of music, had a soundtrack with a cast singing sort of. The album was released earlier in February and ended up peaking at number twenty three on the Billboard Charts, but did hit number one for US Kids albums once the movie premiered. I was number two that year with Hey Kids, What's up? I'm kidding? I never never did that. Only one quote unquote Christopher Wild song, however, is actually sung by the cast member who played the pop star, and that's the title track Starstruck. The rest are voice by Drew Ryan Scott, a member of the Hollywood Records signed group Varsity Fan Club. And that's because actor Sterling Knight joined the cast late when Cody Linley, known to Disney viewers for his reoccurring role on Hannah Montana as boyfriend Jake Ryan, which is absolutely just a nod to sixteen Candles. I've never seen that Hannah Montana. I don't know who that is, but Jake Ryan is the name of Molly Ringwald's boyfriend in sixteen Candles. He was replaced during pre production. Now, there's two rumors that were spread about the reason for his dismissal. One he booked another job and had a scheduling conflict. But to hold some real weight, Linley did have a wild night out partying and photos were ablish in a magazine. He appeared drunk kissing girls in his underwear. And the timeline does add up because shortly after he was replaced in this movie, which is ironics in something like that scenario is exactly part of the Starstruck plot. The scandal has never been confirmed or denied for the record, it is just a rumor. But the fact that people say his vocals are still blended into the soundtrack, yet they brought in someone else to top line, it feels like maybe there was some sort of a conflict. So, Cody, it's been what fifteen sixteen years now, If you're out there com on magical rewind or the show. We just call Murr and let's talk about it because we want to hear from you. You can let everybody know what really happened. The soundtrack also features music from decom regular Mitchell Musso and a Radio Disney constant at the time, Jazzmine Saginario. Per usual, Starstruck is available to watch right now in Disney. Plus, you have no excuse not to check it out before or after our recap. That is, unless you dog ate it. That's fair excuse, and no one lies about that, so I'd accept that. Now. You may not be Superman, but you can't be my hero. The synopsis, small town girl Jessica Olsen, who might be the meanest person we've ever seen the d com, visits her grandma in Los Angeles after two years, and unexpectedly meets and clashes with teen pop star Christopher Wilde. As their world's collide, they're both forced to decide what matters more, authenticity or popularity. Sabrina, hit me right in the face with your early thoughts on this tried and true formula. It's the d com Starstruck. Punch me in the jaw. What did you think?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Well, thoughts on the formula. I'm down for this kind of storyline.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love that you're dodging the question.
Speaker 2: I'm going to dodge, that's what the question.
Speaker 3: I'm reading the question right here, and I'm answering the question.
Speaker 2: As far as this d com not my favor, not even.
Speaker 1: Close like this, I have no problem saying I didn't.
Speaker 2: I you know, but I'm right and shiny one though. That's that's my part. And when I can't when I use when I'm.
Speaker 1: Dole and.
Speaker 3: We got a freaking problem here because it's like I just I I know, it's so many things, and it honestly was the writing, like the the storyline just there's so many like what the f just happened?
Speaker 2: Wait, oh, no one's going to talk about that.
Speaker 3: A graduation like it just was so far out for me, and I had a really hard time watching it and I just unfortunately did not like it.
Speaker 2: That's my early thoughts.
Speaker 3: We'll get into it to them much so much that I'm I like, don't really even have spreena seas.
Speaker 1: Because we didn't want to see any anymore. Sabrina stop watching, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean I was like twenty minutes in and I was like, I'm out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I tap it out? What about it? It will No, I can't agree with you more. Hey, we've had a run here of a bunch of really good ones in a row that we've liked quite a bit. There needed to be one. And again I hate to have to couch you by saying this is our opinion, but this is I was reading about this movie where it was like it was so popular and it got six million viewers and you know all that, and again I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was because this was like out of like my realm of watching the channel.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if these were like two really big stars that everyone was so excited listen, an up and coming like pop star that I don't remember with you know, the main character. Like I was kind of going like, this is just I felt like I was just I don't know it was.
Speaker 2: It was hard for me, especially like you said, I've just been enjoying myself. Again.
Speaker 3: I also tried to say, you know what, we just watched High School Musical three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it than Tiger Cruse.
Speaker 3: Had such great ones at it's heart wasn't necessarily comparing them, it just was there was no comparison this often.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one thousand percent. So Starstrek was directed by Michael Grossman. Grossman is a veteran TV director who worked on shows like RLS, Pretty Little Liars, Gray's Anatomy, Dropped, Dead Diva, and more recently Cobra Kai Finish Him Sorry. This, however, is his only Disney movie, but he did work with Nickelodeon on two films, Merry Christmas, Drake and Josh and One Crazy Cruise. The movie stars that briefly mentioned Sterling Knight as pop star Christopher Wilde. Knight is best known as one of the stars of Disney's Sonny with the Chance, and he played Alex in the two thousand and nine zach Efron movie seventeen Again. He appeared on the Disney show So Random as I Guess where he was on the channel and Danielle Campbell plays small town girl Jessica Olsen. This was very early in her career. She had really only been on four episodes of prison Break. She would later show up on Zeke and Luther and six episodes of the Marvel show Runaways. She most recently appeared on The Rookie and Netflix's The Waterfront. It's also worth noting she was in a movie called Prom in twenty eleven and another one called f The Prom in twenty seventeen. Soke up your mind, Jessica. Is it a good place to be or a bad place to be? Please let me know, because I'm having one in August. Now, these two leads don't kiss in the movie, and that is not just a creative decision. Wild was twenty years old when they shot Starstruck. Campbell was fourteen, so not only would have been inappropriate, but highly illegal. We've seen this once before in a d com and no they can't get that close. That's some great progress in Hollywood, though, because you can just ask my good friend Ryder Strong about the set of Boy Meets World when he was working with Trina McGee Brandon Michael Smith as Stubby. He'd appeared on That So Raven and ten episodes of Fill in the Future. But the roles that mean something to Magical Rewinders is his star turn in Sonny with a Chance, where he played Nico. So he and Sterling knew each other well and they were co stars. But us cool kids know him as Lord of to Bling from another dcom we watched Let It Shine. And then we've got another familiar face. Chelsea Stubb plays Alexis Bender. She now goes by Chelsea Kine, but she was in the Brats movie and an episode of Wizard's Waverley Place. But we will never forget here. But we will never forget her from the dcom Minute Men. She's now a very busy voice actress, most notably playing be on Fishhooks. But get into it here we go. How long is this movie? It's too long. Even if it's too short, that's what we care about here on magical reline. Well, Starstruck comes in at just eighty one minutes. All right, well off the target by nine minutes, but we applaud the effort since it's on the right side of history. So thank you time gods. It was mercifully short. And again, I'm gonna try to be funny as I can, but we're probably gonna bash this movie a little bit, I know. And when it comes to the names on the cover page of the script, we've got two writers. First up story in teleplay from Barbara John's. Her only credits are this movie and then a decade later episodes of the Catherine Heigel Sarah Chalk Netflix show Firefly Lane. So I'm very curious what her story is because she took a decade off. And then we've got any DeYoung she chipped in on the teleplay, and so again we see a new green writer paired up with a dcom regular. Here, Dejung is the writer behind Return to Halloween Town, Princess Protection Program, Girl Versus Monster, sixteen Wishes, and the recently recapped Johnny Coppahala back on board. Okay, let's not waste any more time. There's a line outside the Under twenty one club and it's not getting any shorter, so let's dive into Starstruck. We open at a sold out Staple Center with pop star Christopher Wilde performing on stage. And something I notice here in the opening credits the movie is produced by someone named Jane Bieber, and yes, there is no relation whatsoever. So small World fans are screaming the place is going nuts. And then we see a girl, Sarah Olsen is watching from home, sitting on her sofa, giddy and excited. Suddenly the TV is blocked by another girl, her sister, Jessica Olsen. She's clearly not as big a Christopher Wild fan as they argue. Her parents walk in. The girls better get packing because they leave for the airport in twenty four hours. They're going to see their grandmother in Hollywood after two years. They mentioned they have not, for some reason, gone and visited this woman for two years, which I found to be weird. And that excites Sarah because there it's all so where Christopher Wild lives. She wonders what's gonna happen if he picks them up at the airport, which is certainly something a murderer would ask. Jessica, though, is a bit of a buzzkill. She doesn't really want to go to La And this is just the start of I'm sorry. Two of arguably the most annoying characters we've ever seen into d coom the main girl who's unnecessarily mean through most of this movie, rude and then instantly changes her thing and then mean again and then crying. It's really strange. And the sister, who might be one of the most annoying characters we've ever seen in.
Speaker 3: A decom definitely would be up for the ranking, and were sisters of the dcom like she was such an she.
Speaker 1: Was, And I don't necessarily blame the actress though she played it big, but it was it. Yeah, it was just a character's annoying.
Speaker 3: The character, the way the character was written, and like even in the end, and I know what we'll get there, Like her like saving grace of I'm a nice sister was the most efed up thing I think.
Speaker 1: I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Like I would legitimately have punched her in the face.
Speaker 1: Of that point. Yeah, none of this made sense. Yeah, in it, I agree, And that was just a start too, because there's other things where I was like, wait, what so Yeah, Sarah tells everyone will be quiet. There's an interview with Christopher on TV. He thanks his fans, and the sisters argue over if this musician is actually a great person or not. Jessica argues that her sister doesn't actually know him, even though they live in Michigan. Sarah feels like she knows everything about him, where he works, what he eats apparently pinks hot dogs, and where he parties. And this is where the serious stalkers behavior starts. And so he cut to Los Angeles, Christopher and his pal Stubby. It's pulled up a beautiful convertible and get ready for lots of really beautiful cars. Best part of the movie. Ready for a night of clubbing and what was actually the old Billboard Live on Sunset, but here it's called the Under twenty one Club, just so Disney can make sure you know, there's no drinking or drugs allowed in here. It's not that they're not hanging out at the Viper Room, right.
Speaker 3: There was also two at this point, I think a actual club like kiss E Fem owned it or something.
Speaker 2: It was called like seventeen, like there was like a oh no, there was some I know it was up it.
Speaker 3: Was across from in that like little Summer dev eight. Okay, yeah, it was in the I think right like across from or next to like the Man's Chinese that little center, that little on Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Boulevard, Hollywood Vine.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: And by the way, you'll have way more fun.
Speaker 2: Side note.
Speaker 3: That was like the first night me Adrian, Raven and Keeley all hung out. Our producer Debor was like, you guys should go out and do something fun, and Raven's like, do you want to go to this.
Speaker 2: DV eight club?
Speaker 3: And We're like sure, So we all went there and we all wore juicy couturevelor suits.
Speaker 2: I swear to god, that's a real story.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, if there's a picture of that anywhere, someone please send it in.
Speaker 3: It would break the raven drove us like, oh my gosh, I will never forget that. So I was like sitting there in the car. Of course, remember I was so green. Like I'm saying, like, I'm with two three l W girls in raven Bone going to go to a club eighteen and underclub.
Speaker 1: Good for you?
Speaker 2: What is hi? I have made it.
Speaker 1: I here people, I have arrived. Good for you.
Speaker 3: I have borrowed a juicy gadoor outfit from Adrian.
Speaker 2: I'm killing lively.
Speaker 1: Good for you. I kill it at David Busters. I can put down more food than anybody.
Speaker 2: Oh anyway, that's the real story that just popped out.
Speaker 1: I love that though. That's how I love that. That's better than the movie. As they walked to the door, they run into Christopher's girlfriend, famous actress Alexis Bender. The complicated to exchange pleasantries and Chris realizes tomorrow is her birthday. He promised he would sing it her party, but doesn't look very excited about it. Stubby's bombed is supposed to be a guy's night out and now he has to deal with Alexis. A lot of blog talk here too. It's a real sign of being a celebrity in twenty ten's and having to worry about bloggers that were kind of the new tabloid, you know, Prince Hilton was coming out, and a bunch of people like that, and they had websites that were spreading gossip and actually just basically kind of hatred. This was all in the social media boom. Yeah, it was. It was not cool. And then right on cue, Christopher and Alexis are bum rushed by paparazzi, clearly tipped off by Alexis. Christopher fights back because he feels attacked and the photographer's snap away. And the next morning we're at McKinley High School back in Michigan. A school dance is approaching and Sarah's excited to attend, but Jessica, again a total downer, hates it, but is forced to go for the school paper. Sarah's decided to bring her camera to Hollywood since she needs pictures of Christopher for her photo album, which is also filled with their plans on how she's going to run into him. She has it all figured out, because that's absolutely something a serial killer would do. Crazy Back at La, Christopher arrives late and his manager's aka his parents are already excited about a new opportunity for their son to become a movie star. And when big Hollywood director Alan Smith arrives, the possibility becomes even more likely. And for everybody out there, this is a fun mcguffin and a fun little Hollywood side note. Whenever you see Alan Smith or it's actually Alan Smithy, you'll see either a director or a writer called Alan Smithy or Alan Smith. And that's a famous director who didn't like the project and doesn't want their name on it. So anytime you see something Alan smith Ead or Alan Smith, it's somebody who went, I hate this, take my name off, and that's the name they put on.
Speaker 2: Wowow.
Speaker 1: Alan Smith arrives, the possibility becomes even more likely that he's going to become a movie star. He gets right to the point. He likes what he sees. He wants Christopher to be in the movie, but the studio isn't on board yet. They saw pictures of Christopher tangling with paparazzi and have concerns because the one thing studios hate is famous people in their movies. This is where I was like, this storyline makes no sense. Hey man, you're really famous and the press is following you everywhere. You can't be in a big movie, huh, or.
Speaker 3: In general, like you can't have a girlfriend, you can't be seen, you cannot be seen with a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get, I mean, I get that girl. That's how it was in so I mean in like the seventies and eighties, it was kind of like that, Like I get you know, I know that Dan he All told me when she was dating Lance. It was like they didn't want anybody to know that they were dating because all the ensync boys needed to seem like they were available.
Speaker 2: Available.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the same thing, like the the Begi's and Andy Gibb when he was the biggest thing in the world and he GiB was actually married and the record company buried his marriage because you have to seem available. So I get that. I get when it comes to like girls and wanting to seem like you're single. What I don't get is a studio going, hey, paparazzi follows him everywhere because he's famous, he can't be in a big movie, like yeah, nope, nope, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: But with the girlfriend he had one like that was there, that was like celebrity girlfriend. This it made zero.
Speaker 2: Sense to me, and he didn't They shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Know what they were trying to do, and they couldn't do is obviously they needed him to do something bad at paparazzi caught.
Speaker 2: Get caught.
Speaker 1: He was drinking, he was smashing up a car, he something like that, and what I would have done would have been again ridiculous, but what I would have done would have been something exactly like what we were talking about earlier today for a whole different reason. But he ate something terrible and was feeling sick on the way to the club, and when he gets out, he starts throwing up, and they take pictures like wild night Out and it's like that bad sushi, so something like that, but instead it's just they're taking pictures of a meta club with another famous actress, and because of that, he can't be in a big movie, which just makes no zero sense.
Speaker 3: Like Zo also, I already hate his parents. Of course happened, I know, but I hated them.
Speaker 2: I hated them.
Speaker 1: And there's no real kind of resolution to it. He has some no quick thing at the end with one one line, but it's kind of like, dude, this is yeah, but it but at.
Speaker 2: This time too though, this was like relatively.
Speaker 3: Around like Britney Spears like this, Britney Spears drama, a lot of the like uh, Lindsay Lohan drama with her family, Like there was a lot, so I understand like they were, I mean, it was it made sense.
Speaker 1: It just was like they tried to disney fi a real, a real important and dangerous bad thing that was happening in Hollywood actually, and that doesn't work. You can't disnify it. You gotta show what it was really like when Britney Spears is clearly having a mental breakdown beings being hounded by these paparazzi. Yeah, this was I mean again, you know it was ten years later, fifteen years later, but you know, Princess die was essentially killed because she was hounded by the paparazzis. It's a very dangerous time to be a quote unquote celebrity, a big celebrity like this. How they're supposed to make him and they tried to disnefy it. It just didn't work. So he has to prove that he's a serious and dedicated actor by Monday, when Allan has a meeting with producers to sell them on his casting choice. But in the meanwhile, Christopher must stay out of the tabloids, good or bad. Christopher says he can do that, and they shake hands like Hollywood big wigs do. Now we're back at lax The Olsens have arrived and Sarah can't wait to use her parents' rental car to find Christopher. And this is where I loved all the generic things they have. The place is literally called lax La rental Cars. It's like rental car place in Los Angeles. But Jessica points out she can't drive a rental car until she's twenty five. This puts a real by the way, that's not actually true. I had to rent cars when I was a teenager, and you just have to pay a lot more and have massive insurance.
Speaker 2: But I thought that was actually an actual rule.
Speaker 1: There are there are exceptions, because like I was working and at seventeen eighteen, I'd need to rent a car somewhere, and there's there's ways to do it, so you can do it, but.
Speaker 2: It's just incredibly more expensive.
Speaker 1: It is. Yeah, this puts a real wrench in Sarah's plans. By the way, her dad suggests that maybe Grandma will let her borrow her car, and so when they arrive at Grandma's she's up there doing housework with some older guy named Howard who was a wonderful actor who was not only on the Office but on Boy Me's World, who apparently they think might be dating her. So good for you, Grandma, go get it. Now. This storyline is really cool because nothing happens with it and you never see it again. I'm sorry, but it's just like this at the end, barely the grandmother had nothing to do in this movie. She made no sense. And then they try to do a thing at the end where the grandma's talking you were giving your life advice. This was set up not at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So every a lot of that stuff was just like so random. Yes, it was okay, it was like, we're just good. It's like how I would imagine like Monroe would do cooking, Like I'm just gonna put some like what is this garlic?
Speaker 2: What is this chocolat?
Speaker 1: Chocolate?
Speaker 2: Some sprinkles. I want to put some jelly beans in it, like just the most random.
Speaker 1: And much like whatever Monroe would have cooked. We would have taken a bite and gone, it's really good, and then walked out and spit it out, which is I think what I did with this film. So Jessica is so excited to see her grandma, and when they finally embrace, it brings a smile to that sour puss face. Finally Jessica. And at the same time, Sarah sees her grandmother's car, a plum colored Pinto, which is bad and awesome.
Speaker 2: And I got such a cool looking car.
Speaker 1: Such a cool car.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want it. I would especially down pH in Malibu.
Speaker 1: That I would drive that car every day with the biggest smile on my face. But of course this is what she wasn't hoping for, a car like this to go stock a pop star, which is what she's about to do. That night, Sarah gets a call from aj back home, a fellow Christopher wild Stand. She reads online probably a blog that Christopher's supposed to be performing at Alexis Bender's birthday, and now she has to go. Sarah knows her parents will only let her go off. Jessica tags along, but Jessica is hardly interested in meeting a celebrity, especially Christopher Wild. But Sarah has an offer she can't refuse. If Jessica goes with her, she'll stop incessantly talking about Christopher for at least the rest of the trip. And I was like, go, I don't want to hear her talk about him either. So now back at the under twenty one club, there's a line around the block. When the Olsen sisters arrive in their Pinto, I would pull that right up in front of a club. They stop in a no parking zone across the street and Sarah gets changed in the back seat, while nearby, Christopher and Stubby are arguing if they should even be there. Christopher swears it's fine, but Stubby is very much over Alexis and his pal as his friend since the fourth grade, it's Stubby's job to let Christopher know when he's doing the wrong thing, and they're also in a beautiful Ferrari. Their car eventually does arrive at the club, so Sarah jumps out of the Pinto to greek Christopher, now leaving Jessica behind the wheel. But bad news it's just Stubby. Alexis isn't happy, but Sarah may just be the most confident human in the world. As she runs over and pretends to know him, she poses for the paparazzi, and I think this is all the proof we need to know that she's actually a real cycle path. I mean, that was so I was like, oh, weird. Yes, Stubby isn't mad about it, though, because Sarah's a cute girl in his arm, and I mean she could technically only kill him once, right. All the while, Jessica is just waiting in the car. Christopher does arrive, but through the back door where Stubby lets him in, avoiding the big scene out front. And then it's a big surprise for Alexis when he walks on stage and fulfills his promise to perform. And Sarah, of all people, can't believe what she's seeing. Her idol is singing at the club right in front of her. Okay, Sabrina, this is our second song, hear. Okay. First, I want to say this, I didn't like this movie. I didn't hate it. It's not the worst me I've ever seen in my life, but I didn't like this movie. No, But The fact that it was a musical didn't factor into me not liking at all, because, again we talk about appropriate singing. He sung when he was on stage or when they handed him a guitar, like it made sense, So that didn't bother me at all. What did you actually think of the music?
Speaker 3: Though I actually liked the music, The music was probably like the best part of it for me. I thought it was you know, I kept trying to I didn't know, you know, obviously without like like looking into it, whether or not it was the actor's voice or not. And I kept going, who does that voice sound like to me? And I kept thinking his voice sounded similar to a young Nick Jonas, So I thought his voice was great, and I thought the music was like Okay, I wasn't and I'm going, like, I just couldn't plays. I couldn't figure out if again I didn't know this kid, so I wasn't sure if he was somebody who was like on the Channel up and coming like new Channel Star, if it was his voice or not.
Speaker 2: But I liked the music. It was it was fine for me. There's one part.
Speaker 3: When we'll and I'll bring it up when we get that part of the movie where I'm like that time part doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: It's not fallowing the rules.
Speaker 1: It's not falls no rules people.
Speaker 2: But I'll bring it up when the time is ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what about you? They were never fine? They were fine. I remember none of them, but I know I don't. I didn't hate them. I thought, whoever singing them, the voice is very nice. Again, I'm always up for appropriate singing. He's a singer, but he's on stage. It's not like, you know, I was waiting for them to just start singing to each other. So the fact that never happened is a breath of fresh air. It is for me. That's right.
Speaker 2: Well, because this was not a musical like that that would have been so it would have been like that one movie that we just recently rewatched that they like sang in the park out of Nowhere and we're like, yeah, why why.
Speaker 1: Did you do that? That was exactly.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a just one scene didn't make sense. So it never did that for us, which was great.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it didn't bother me.
Speaker 2: Check there we go, check on the positive side, check on the bye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go, and then boom out of nowhere. The best part of the song, Stubby joins in for a fun little rap interlude, all while Sarah pushes her way to the front. Jessica's still parked across the street. She's watching the action unfold on the big screens outside, but she has had enough. As Christopher finishes the song, she finally decides she's going into the club, but the line and scene is just too much, so she does what every young girl walking by herself at night in Los Angeles does, goes to the back alley all by herself at night, and his boom slammed in the face by a stage door. It's Christopher Wilde making a getaway. He rushes to help her and freaks out about the possible repercussions from the impact. He promises her front row concert tickets if she just keeps quiet, and then she finally realizes who he is, and before they can even get into details, Stubby's car pulls up. Well it's actually the famous guy's car, Christopher Wild's car. She has then rushed into the passenger seat to go and see the doctor, which of course is the right idea because she starts puking' possibly from head trauma. Anytime you throw up after her head wound it usually means a concussion. Stubby is left behind. He'll make Sarah's sister is safe without telling her anything. This is a phenomenal wing man. And now we are at the office of doctor Sanjay, who is coincidentally the singer's brother in law, which I thought it was a funny dynamic. This guy was great and the future scenes with him also didn't happen because this never comes back ever again.
Speaker 2: It's like a one and done.
Speaker 1: And he and it was the best part, one of the best movie for that guy. Guy is like, you know this is a curtain. I can I can hear you all that very funny. I was like, please, let's see the brother in law.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I thought he was funny.
Speaker 1: I'd me too. All the tests of turnout fine. Finally common Christopher, whose mom calls with an emergency he needs to get home asap. Alan Smith, the director, is there with his daughters, who are big fans, but as he's ready to run out, doctor Sanjay alerts him that they are a paparazzi in the waiting room, which seems like a real hip of violation. How about some privacy, brother in law? Thank you so much, so Christopher decides to trade in his fancy convertible for the doctor's beater old Mercedes, because you know doctors have terrible cars. We all know they don't make any money.
Speaker 2: Well, he did say he's paying off, is h.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they tried to solve it, but it's still it's like he was in a nine dollars car as a resident. So I don't know. It could be totally accurate. There's a doctor's out there listening to this right now. I'm kidding. No doctors listen to or podcast, but if they did, they're listening going like, I drive an eighty two Selica. I'm trying to pay everything off. Give me ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Christopher safely drives away with Jessica, and they're now bickering with each one about the predicament. They can't get along, especially since Christopher has a stop to make on the way before dropping her off back at her grandmother's house. He arrives back at his house and Jessica's blown away by the mansion, but it's quickly rushed upstairs by Christopher. Again. Now he isn't taking to his grandmother's house at her grandmother's house, and now rushing upstairs. I was like, this is getting really weird. Dude, he doesn't want any rumors to get out. She's forced to stay upstairs as he and they did something very clever here. Okay, very very clever, because I was starting to get creeped out, like he's not bringing her back to her grandmother's house. He brings him to his home. Now he's rushing upstairs. He leaves her in the guest room. Ah, and that is was done very specifically. He did not run in and be like, here's my bedroom, which is would have made it even creepier. It's like, stay in the guest room. Very clever that they added that line, because they took it from what could have been super creepy to just slightly creepy. So yeah, but it's like okay that, yes, just but it did it. That made a big difference. I was like, ooh, clever that they said, I'm leaving you in the astroom.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: So she's forced to stay upstairs as he rushes downstairs to mingle with his parents' party guests, eventually landing on Allan and his two daughters. Upon their request, he grabs a stool and guitar and decides to play a song he's been working on for well, the whole party, apparently, Sabrina, can we admit that no one really likes the guy with the guitar at the party, even if they're celebrities. Do you not want to admit that you like you like the guy? Is it? Really? Is it just dudes that are like, really, Keith grabbed a guitar again?
Speaker 2: No, I know, I I don't. I don't favor that.
Speaker 1: Okay, good you especially like it was a weird pause. Well because yeah, I mean, I just you know, it just seems like the college kid at the party is like, hey man, I'm just gonna grab my guitar and.
Speaker 2: Play some tunes that and it, and they think I think it.
Speaker 3: Guys hate it, because there's a lot of girls that do think like, oh.
Speaker 2: He plays the guitar so dreamy. I don't know I did.
Speaker 3: I dated someone who did that and would like just bust it out all the time, and I was just like, okay, like I listened to you for like three hours last night. Oh I can't take a break. Okay, we're gonna go again. Yeah, all right, We're just here we go again, Like it's just it's it does get super annoying.
Speaker 1: I think even more annoying is I did that but with the trumpet. So that was like at the.
Speaker 2: Party, was playing my banjo exactly.
Speaker 1: We're at a party. Air and an air.
Speaker 3: Or no, there were there was like a fad for a while where people had harmonicas on their like like they would have.
Speaker 2: It on their like key chain or whatever, and like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people are the harmonica was the worst. It's not a cool party trick, guys. No, no, don't try to.
Speaker 2: Make it cool. You can't make pink pink. It's not the same thing.
Speaker 1: Stops Dick to keg stands. This one is finally a more grounded song with romantic lyrics about how he may not be a superhero, but he can be what you need. Jessica's still in hiding over here is the lyrics in the balcony. It seems like maybe, just maybe she's starting to understand the appeal of this pop star stripped down. He's more talented and thoughtful than she assumed. And my favorite part is he's sitting there playing the guitar acoustic guitar by himself, and somehow drums are also there. Do you hear the guy there's like a symbol going off in the back. I'm like, who the playing that? So yeah, it's like, what's happening? And now, while guests are leaving, Jessica ses oportus, you need to leave, So she sneaks into the garage amongst all his fancy cars best seen because they're just great cars. But Christopher catches up with her and wonders what she's doing. She just wants to get home, obviously, and is willing to walk, but he reminds her Hollywood would be months away by foot. She says he can drive her straight home and nothing else, So they drive off in a classic blue Chevy and god, this movie loves cars as much as I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so even though they don't detect it, we can see that they're being followed by a paparazzi van uh oh.
Speaker 2: Signature black suv suburban.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was a van, a black prob. I think it's a van.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: The majority of the time they were they were followed by like the like suburban.
Speaker 1: It was just like which we'll get into the fact that none of that makes sense, but we'll get into that. So anyway, the two drive in silence, only broken up by him singing along with the radio, which is coincidentally playing one of his own songs. She quickly stops him. She doesn't care that he's Christopher Wild. He seems hurt that she doesn't love his music. She just quote unquote likes it. He says, if she got to know him, she'd like him more, but she clearly just focused on getting home. And then luckily they ditched the van at the red light without even knowing that they've done that. Now outside Jessica's grandmother's house, she thanks Christopher for the ride, and he tries to say sorry, but she hurries to the front door, and now is Christopher's in his car taking in everything that's happened. The paparazzi van once again cruise by. Okay, now we're in her grandmother's house. Jesska, here's it tapping out the window. It's Christopher. He's offering her five thousand dollars for a favor. And so far nobody has noticed, cared, said anything about the fact that these two girls have been missing for the night. Yep, we don't know if the sister's gotten back safe and sound, nobody's mentioned anything about Jessica being gone. The parents are nowhere to be found. Grandparents are here.
Speaker 3: Never seems to notice that her sister is gone in the club. Isn't calling her like she's not going to crap, my sister's calling me again?
Speaker 1: And they have in this movie.
Speaker 2: No, none of that has been seen. This is where I've already now tapped out because I'm.
Speaker 1: Just like, nobody's checking in to make sure we're.
Speaker 2: Just pretending like yep, things aren't happening.
Speaker 1: Yep, and that's it, and they just didn't care. So Christopher's offering her five thousand dollars for a favor. We cut to the two of them pushing his car into their garage where he's gonna sleep overnight to ditch the photogs. He asks if he can borrow some clothes for the morning so he can secretly leaves, and she wonders if all that is necessary. He swears it is, but she thinks he's just being paranoid. She also calls him out for trying to be flirty, something she's just not gonna fall for. She also ends up giving him her her grandfather's hat, which she then says looks good. On him, and then they kind of look like they're starting to flirt, but it's just weird. The next morning, Jessica wakes up and her family is already eating breakfast again. They don't care that she's been out clubbing all night long. Nope, they need some syrup, so they go to where everyone keeps the syrup, the garage. So when she's like that, oh, I've got extra syrup in the garage, it's like, what, okay.
Speaker 3: Extra syrup, and how much syrup are you using that you need to have like extra syrup.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, that's a dumb question. Have you checked the syrup garage canisters? They're obviously out there.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually do have a cabinet that I keep like extra syrup, like if I get like pasta, and I realized that my cabinet cabinet already have box of pasta, Like I'll take it out there.
Speaker 2: And that's like a storage room. I don't know, it's weird.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it's weird. It's also a detached garage. Yeah, you don't keep syrup in a detached garage. Come on, So Sarah volunteers to go get some from the garage, but then Jessica realizes this could be a problem. She rushes to stop her, but instead they get into an argument about ditching her at the club last night. Oh so they do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we do.
Speaker 1: But she still has no clue about anything that went down with Christopher wild But eventually their dad interrupts the fight. He wants to see what's so important in the garage. When he finally opens it up, Christopher and the car actually gone. Jessica wonders where he went, but is relieved to be safe. But back in the house, a story about Christopher's on TV. It's about Alexis birthday party and how he left with a mystery girl. Jessica's now terrified she's going to be out it and turns off the TV. The sisters argue until Grandma offers her car for a relaxing drive to the beach. Sarah jumps at the opportunity, but is forced to take Jessica with her yet again. Now cruising down pH and the plum Pinto, they park at Malibu Beach, a place Sarah pick because she knows Christopher SERTs there. Jessica still keeps her secret close to their heart, as her sister roams the beach to find her celebrity crush, and then Jessica spots him hiding in a hoodie and her grandpa's fisherman's hat, the one they found in the garage, and now without her sister, Jessica pops down beside him and immediately starts needling them. It's like, now they're friends. She went from absolutely hating them to then giving them a hat, and now they're kind of friends. So okay. She wonders what he's doing there, and he explains that he has ten paparazzi outside of his house. This is how he has to get away. Now here's the other thing the sister's stocking him, because obviously he only comes to this beach, so why wouldn't the paparazzi also know that he also comes to this beach, which later they do, so why not just have people out there as well? But okay, Jessica shows absolutely no care for his problems. Then he realizes something. He could maybe use her car to sneak back home, which again, you'd still have to sneak.
Speaker 2: Into your house. Yea, and now you're in like a bright purple car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he doesn't know that I guess at the time, but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They decide to trade vehicles for a little, giving the sisters a muscle car instead of the Pinto. Again Movie Loves Cars, but this also makes no sense. Jessica sneaks the new keys into her sister's bag and walks Christopher to their grandma's car, but before they can leave, the paparazzi arrives, and it's hilarious because two dozen of them they share these two vans, and the entire goal of paparazzi is to get the first exclusive shot. They're not going to be there driving altogether. It defeats the purpose. But now they're swarmed again. Christopher sneaks into the Pinto and accidentally smashes Jessica's head with the door, again, which was funny. They eventually drive off together while Jessica hides her face with a scarf, so she jumps in her grandmother's car leaves her sister keys to another random vehicle somehow, uh, which is again I don't I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like you're you're really honestly gonna go oh different set of keys, and then you're gonna start trying to.
Speaker 1: Like, I'll go open this car and just drive this car back to the house in the Yeah, no, none of it.
Speaker 2: Maybe you would be so creeped out you'd be freaking out calling going.
Speaker 1: And your car was still someone trying to, like.
Speaker 2: I think someone's trying to like kidnap me.
Speaker 1: Yes, something very weird is happening, but they don't. But Yeah, Jessica and Christopher drive off together while Jessica hides her face with a scarf. They think the photographers thinks maybe something's up, but realize it's just to random kids completely hiding their faces, trying to act inconspicuous but clearly hiding something. Back on the PCCh the du will laugh about how ridiculous this whole thing is, and now they need to drive around until the paparazzi leave the beach. Truth is, Jessica seems a little less aggravated by Christopher now, so they decide to take a little tour of la which he calls the greatest city in the world. His song is once again on the radio, and we enter a montage, Love a montage. They swing by Venice Beach for some boardwalk shopping and we get a cameo from the legendary Harry Perry. Do you know who Harry Perry is? No? Okay so? Also known as hibib or the Cosmic Crusader, Perry was a turban wearing musician famous for playing electric guitar and rollerblades at the Venice Beach Boardwalk. He actually played with Jane's Addiction and The Grateful Dead. He appeared in movies like White Men Can Jump and Fletch and crazily enough perform with the Blue Man Group at the Hollywood Bowl in twenty thirteen. He is now seventy four years old and can still be seen performing in La Oh, Isn't that cool? Then they're off to the most disappointing Hollywood landmark ever, which is Hollywood Boulevard at the Man's Chinese Theater. It's fine, you should go see it and put your hands in the thing, but it's it's a big letdown where Christopher takes a picture in front of his own billboard. They arrive at the Griffith Observatory in the Hollywood Sign, which is a great stop for tourists, so it can definitely go there, and along the way it seems like she's starting to like Christopher's music too, which apparently is the only thing this guy listens to as he's driving anywhere is his own music. Eventually, they do make it back to the pch and then Christopher realizes they're being followed again, which makes sense since they've been walking around the city's most populated tourist areas all day. Either way, he needs to lose the van, so Jessica uses a star map she picked up earlier to find a turnout. They're successful, but now they're suddenly lost in the hills. The confusion quickly sends the two of them into a fight. He calls her a know it all. But more importantly, they are now stuck in the mud and slowly sinking. They immediately jump out the windows, stranding themselves on the roof. As the vehicle sinks lower and lower, they have to jump, and although they make it oftentime, they both fall into a swamp, which a lot of people know right off the freeways here very swampy area in La I'm lying never happens, completely submerge themselves into dirty water. Now drenched, they watches the plumb pinto completely sinks to the bottom of whatever weird pit they suddenly find themselves in. Okay, Jessica realizes her backpack was in the car and starts frantically reaching into water. That's all you could say. Okay, her parents are gonna kill her. Just then, Christopher's phone is ringing too. It's his parents again. They're very word and need him home, but he's barely any service and it eventually cuts out. Jessica does actually retrieve her bag, but it's ruined. She walks off, furious. She needs to get back to her sister at the beach. Christopher shows her the way, following closely behind. I'd like, just mental note they are covered head to toe in mud and crap and awfulness, so keep that in mind. But back to the beach, Sarah can't find her car, of course, not it's been taken. I guess she doesn't notice that she's been using a key chain that's not hers to trigger the alarm, something a Pinto definitely wouldn't need. But she does figure out the classic car somehow is now hers.
Speaker 2: She can't believe it's with it.
Speaker 1: Yep, can't believe it. When she finds a car's registration, she sees the order is another none other than Christopher, John Wild is she being punked? Which is a cool twenty ten reference, but it was still like, what in the actual is happening now? Back on the walk, Christopher's trying his hardest to talk to Jessica, but she's shutting him out. She wants to be reunited with her family. She's been separated from her family like nine times this movie. This guy doesn't seem to care, but Chris never been free like this before. He's not letting her grumpiness ruin the day. This leads yet another fight between the two, Jessica calling him entitled and pretentious, Christopher calling her a brat, but he admits all he's done in the last two days was think about her. She says she'd rather go down in the pinto than be his friend. He doesn't get it. He thought she was starting to like him, but she says he was wrong. His fame makes it impossible to know if people are actually his friend or not. He lives in a hotel and has employees helping him. Twenty four to seven, Christopher promises he is a real person. He'll even tell her something he hasn't told anyone when he first met her, and then he slips and falls into a lake, because again, right off the freeways in La are these beautiful.
Speaker 4: Where are awhere are we if there are any of these bodies of water, even small bodies of water off the sides of the freeways in La, they're filled.
Speaker 1: With needles and dead people and diseases. And so these people somehow stumble upon an oasis and he falls into the lake, taking Jessica with them, and they're once again swimming in gross La water. So yeah, they fell in love, but they've got hepatitis. But this time they're laughing and they're splashing each other. These two are super weird. Now they're completely dry in the La sun. Their clothes do not have a stitch of mud on them. They are brand new yet again, which was weird. Christopher admits he wishes he could stay there all day long when nobody notices him. Everyone wants something from him, even his parents, who only talked to him about his new movie deal, which could mess with his upcoming tour, the world tour, And he says he doesn't have a choice. He doesn't want to disappoint his fans, so he'll just never say no and always over extends himself. This is real by the way, not for me, but I mean again, I've never been in this situation of fame, but I've known many people that were up and coming famous or this level of fame who exhausts themselves because they're like, I'm just not going to say no to anybody right now. It'll disappoint the fans, it'll disappoint my managers. Maybe I won't work tomorrow. That's the other problem in this industry is it's usually you're doing a thousand miles an hour or you're doing zero. Very rarely are you just kind of working. You're either doing a ton of work to where you have no free time, or you're looking for your next job and you're hustling well exactly.
Speaker 3: There is that stigmatism too, like if you slow down, the chances of you like you can't guarantee.
Speaker 2: That it'll like go up again.
Speaker 3: I remember being on tour and our tour manager was Kylie Minogue's tour manager, and he was like, we kept selling out and we were starting to get tired, and he goes, I don't recommend you, ladies stop because you never know like what the next tour, if there will be another tour. You just never know, and we were just kind of like, of course still will be well. When we came back out at that point, the Jonas brothers were out, our ticket sales were not the same, and it's so it's so true with the industry.
Speaker 2: Like so that's why people just never stop.
Speaker 3: They just keep going and they say yes to everything because you just are so scared that that be your last opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've known so many people that their careers were skyrocketing that then went well, now I'm going to college. So I'm gonna take four years off and go to college and then I'll come back. And it's like, unless you're an A list superstar that they ain't gonna wait. Hollywood's moving on without you, and it's gonna be you're gonna have to start over again when you get back, and it's it's tough. So that's a real thing.
Speaker 3: And it's hard because it's like, especially in college, it's like yeah, but like you'll have that foundation of college, and it's like, yeah, but you might be doing a whole career change.
Speaker 1: But that's the difference is you can do college anytime. I can go back to I didn't get I didn't go to college I was doing boymans roll that was doing. I was working all the time, So I was like, I'm not going to college now. I'm not gonna take I'm not gonna pause to go to college right now. I'm fifty. I can go back to college tomorrow if I want to go to college. I can't. I couldn't have just picked up my career and started over again. So it's yeah, that's a real thing.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jessica just doesn't get any of this though her life is so different. Christopher says he's just happy he can be himself around her, and then Jessica finally admits it. Yes, she likes it too. She calls him out for being flirty again, but now gives him a little push, marking their first actual contact in the awkwardness. Because again, they cannot kiss in this movie, they decide they should just keep moving. Back at Christopher's house, Stubby is getting things in order when Sarah arrives, catching him totally off guard. She reveals she has Christopher's keys and looks absolutely starstruck to be in the house. So she drove all the way to this guy's house and then use the keys to go inside this dude's house super creepy anyway. Now, walking on the beach, Christopher and Jessica are still connecting, and now they're holding hands. He really likes her and loves that she treats him like a human. She calls him amazing, and when they go to kiss, they're legally interrupted by some surfers because they can't kiss, sending Chrisopher back into the real world. He instantly pulls a one eighty, saying their relationship has to end here and boy, those surfers really ruined everything. He tells her she can't tell anyone, even her parents. If people find out, it'll get crazy and he won't get the movie deal. He explains he's Christopher Wilde and she's just an ordinary girl. Oh that was wrong, and he switched on a dime. It was like now I am.
Speaker 3: It was like the co wickest snap of a finger, and holy god, and just like getting just just punching her in the jugular too, like the word choice was just like it was rough.
Speaker 1: Yep, I agree. She's properly offended, obviously, and leaves. He tries some damage control, but she's clearly hurt and he has one last request. He asks if he can have her disposable camera to have the photos just in case he doesn't want them to get out, which is just one last final insult. She responds by throwing the camera in the sand and storming off, But then she realizes she needs cab feir to get home, and he hands her like five grand, saying it's the same money that he owed her for staying in the garage, and she promises to never talk about him again. He says she doesn't know what his life is like. The press would ruin everything, and she's a very cool little line here when she says, the press doesn't have to ruin it. You already did. We're back at the beach now. Jessica cries in a phone booth. Phone booth, kids was a booth that literally on a phone in it, and Christopher is finally recognized and sworn by girls wanting pictures with him, and the paparazzi gets pictures of him. But as Jessica leaves, one photographer catches her crying and wonders, huh, maybe she's involved with Christopher. Two, we get a brief montage of jess Gotta love a montage of Jessica with her family. Now sadly poking salad and pining for her new love while Christopher records in the studio. Once the song is done, Christopher runs off to his laptop, where he skims through the pictures from Jessica's camera. He clearly misses and can't stop thinking about her. He confides in Stubby, telling him he really likes this girl. But guess who else is listening in? Alexis and she's very interested in who exactly this girl is. He tells her she's not a famous actress. Alexis doesn't believe it. She says that stuff only happens in the movies. And then she says she looks at her phone and says, Ooh, I've got a date with Zach. And since the caption spelled the name z Ac, I think we can guess who she means. Zach Posen, the clothing designer. By the way, producer Jensen put that in No Idea, Who that is?
Speaker 2: What swimmer?
Speaker 1: The two decide to be friend. The dude doesn't sell this stuff at Target. I'm not gonna know.
Speaker 3: Seriously, obviously we're talking about Zach front Nah, yeah, no, or his brother who will famously be on Dancy with the Stars.
Speaker 1: Years later, right exactly, the two decide to be friends, finally calling off their situationship and Stubby is thrilled. Christopher is finally free, and now the Olsens are leaving La to go back to Michigan. They bid farewell with their grandma and her new piece of Jessica says goodbye tiery eyed while getting advice from her grandmother, which again, none of this was earned. There hasn't been a single scene with just the two of them and the grandmother. Now you're giving me advice. I literally don't even know your name. So it was just like, let me tell you about life. Really, you haven't earned this even slightly. Yeah, She promises that life has a way of working itself out. Look how she's been doing since Grandpa died. She then thrust her hips and points to her boyfriend and crotch. No, none of that happened, but I wanted to see if you are all still with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Would have been pretty great if it did, because then at least it would have given her character something to do.
Speaker 2: Ell is that wrong?
Speaker 1: No? Yeah, okay, what it is? But justice Jessica's about to leave. Paparazzi gets the photo they've been hoping for, and we cut to director Alan Smith, who's having some sort of a twenty ten version of a zoom meeting with the family. He is furious, who is this Jessica Olsen. Paparazzi exposed her and this is what he was worried about with cast and Christopher. He seems too young and not serious enough. None of this makes sense. His parents beg for another chance, and they get one. They have to convince gossip colonist Libby Lamb from Starstruck to kill the story by offering another exclusive. In exchange, he says to lie to her and call Jessica just a fan, which feels wildly rude. But either this girl goes away or the movie does, which, again from a story point, maga fend And so next thing, we see Christopher on the set of Starstruck being interviewed by Libby. He's asked about Jessica and by the way, okay, I'm sorry, this is just my mind going. Do you know how much a studio would love the idea of being able to sell a young pop star in a relationship with a quote unquote ordinary girl, making every quote unquote ordinary girl out there feeling like they had a chance with all these huge pop stars, like they would eat that up with a spoon and ask for seconds and third. So the idea that this is what's holding them back from getting the movie made no sense as a story point in this film. It was just like you're and they kept feeding into this thing that made no sense anyway.
Speaker 3: Well, it was like the whole, like what was on the line, Like the whole, This is the thing that's on the line your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to not date this girl, not date this girl? Yeah. Yes.
Speaker 1: And so the next thing we see is Christopher on the set of Starstruck being interviewed by Libby. He's asked about jess and he does indeed lie, calling her just some fan back in Michigan. Jessica, now hounded by photographers outside of her house, is clearly hurt. I also want to point out that the Olsen's house is anything but normal. It's actually very very very nice and beautiful. It's hardly lower class or something that would leave her shocked when she saw a mansion. But she was shocked like, oh my god, you've got a roof, Richie and now her parents she said, it's just like come on, and now her parents are did you not used to do that? And or plumbing Richie? And now her parents are concerned what went on in California that caused the media to follow her around. She promises it's nothing bad, but you just can't talk about it. And then Sarah runs in. Christopher's talking about Jessica on TV. They tune into Starstruck just in time to see him saying he doesn't know her at all. Okay, so she hasn't told her parents she spent the day with Christopher wild because she promised that she wouldn't. Her sister doesn't know she spent the day with Christopher wild because she's hasn't told anybody, but the paparazzi are following her all over the place. The sister then comes in and says, Christopher Wilde's going to talk about you on TV. But the sister who spent the entire movie thing on her sister and in love with this guy to the point of stalking, isn't upset that her sister has spent the time with Christopher while in any way, shape.
Speaker 2: Or form, does it even like acknowledge it? No, doesn't even acknowledge it, Like you went to his house without me? Are you like what you know?
Speaker 1: You went on a date with him, you were whatever happened? What he he took you to the hot anything? So either she doesn't know which, then why are there all this paparazzi. Nobody's questioning why, Hey, we've got seventy reporters on our lawn. Can we talk about that? Mate?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: None of you with the parents to it.
Speaker 2: It made no you werewhere when you were supposed to be with your sister.
Speaker 1: There's been no repercussions for this girl running away, losing the grandmother's car. This is where it's so pitching people at a club, Like none of the parents don't even mention it.
Speaker 2: They weren't even supposed to go to the club eventually, Like originally there's nothing, it's nothing.
Speaker 3: That's when I'm starting, like when I'm like literally basically feeling like I'm like yelling at.
Speaker 2: The TV like this is so just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Okay, So question, is this the first dcom we've ever had without a single good parent? There's not one?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, there's usually at least like one redeeming someone dad.
Speaker 1: But the mom's cool, the mom's distant. But the dad's a great dad something. We've got the two managers and of Christopher Wild who are awful, and the two parents don't about.
Speaker 2: Their kids, don't know where the hell they are or don't don't give it, they don't. It's no weirdest it is.
Speaker 3: D COM's are just this is this to me? This is when it felt like this was not a DCM. This felt like I started to think, you know how, there's always a big difference when there's a different like when a d COM bought a movie from a different production comes.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's right, that's.
Speaker 3: What That's what I started feeling like, Like there's been a couple of movies where we're like, it just doesn't it's not filmed like a d COM.
Speaker 2: The storylines not like a d coom. That's what this felt like.
Speaker 1: This felt I agree, there is.
Speaker 2: I learned to realize I do not like those movies.
Speaker 1: No, I don't need so grandmother, Yeah exactly exactly other than the grandmother and her her nice new piece who don't get don't get any sort of character developed whatsoever. There isn't a good adult in the movie.
Speaker 3: No, the director, the parents, the boyfriend is really only to show, like I moved on from Grandpa passing. I guess that's his storyline is supposed to be for like the purpose.
Speaker 1: Guess Yeah, it's weird, okay, But now now her parents are concerned. I don't get Later okay, So later she's looking out the window at all the press on her front lawn. Even Sarah is sick of this. Jessica admits Christopher said it would be like this, but she doesn't have to deal with what the celebrities do. She walks outside and gives Libya a peace of her mind. She calls them sick for building up celebrities only to tear them down to sell magazines and TV shows. She says Christopher has given up his freedom, privacy, and honesty. They wreck the human being and should be ashamed. The press is hardly affected at all by her combination, so Jessica gives up. She says she's never met the Christopher they're all obsessed with. And I still don't get what this movie is about. Is it about condemnation of the paparazzi? Is it about a little bit?
Speaker 3: I think that this celebrity life of it being are to be yeah, not to and it makes it so hard to be like your own person within that world. Sure, pushed into doing things you don't want because you're a celebrity and you've got the you know, adult life when you're supposed to be a kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, again with an occasional bop thrown in there, we cut to Christopher and Stubby, which again I'm putting Stubby on the list of better names.
Speaker 2: The names snow, Jackal Johnson.
Speaker 1: It's no Jackal Johnson. But from now on, I forget what the last nickname was that I had, But I think Stubby is gonna be the one. I'm gonna watch you to call me from now on. They they're watching her response on TV, and Stubby is disgusted at how his best friend is acting. He says it's Christopher's life to live, but he's disappointed. Stubby's words seem to really get to him, and now he's questioning his actions. We cut to a movie set over at Griffith Park. Alan Smith is directing and Christopher is shown up to talk just a few days before his movie starts. He lets Smith know that he's no longer available. Alan offers to push back the start date, but Christopher says if he has to lie to join the club. He's not interested. He walks away, and now Alan is oddly impressed. And again the cool thing is how this comes back at the end, not at all. Oh. Christopher returns home to tell his parents he's not doing the movie. They claim it's not his decision, but he promises it is. He's seventeen years old and just and that's when I was like, oh, he's playing seventeen like he seems to be playing older to me. But I was like, okay, seventeen and just wants to play music and have fun. His parents promised toy'll handle it, but he takes control of his life and fires them and says he needs his parents back, and that was it. There was no anything after that. They weren't like, you know, you're right, but you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been.
Speaker 3: We've gotten caught up in the business aspect of it.
Speaker 2: You shall be a kid.
Speaker 1: They're just like fired, They're fired. That's it.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, man, I will say, though it is hard, but I have you I'm sure as well.
Speaker 2: Obviously have been.
Speaker 3: Around what they call like momagers or whatever on set.
Speaker 1: Some of them can be off, some of them are great. Some of them and are just there to just there to look out for their kids. And some of them are really horrible people. Yeah, men and women, dads and moms have their kids in it for all the wrong reasons. The kids don't want to be there, are milking all the money away.
Speaker 5: It's awful, yeah, yes, and it does something to kids psyche to be like the one that is like putting the roof over the head of your family.
Speaker 1: Well, Gary Coleman is is well, you know, one of the most famous of those of all time. He was one of the massive influences for me. And the reason I got into this business is growing up watching Gary Coleman on different strokes and seeing how at you know, eight nine, ten, eleven years old, he was commanding the screen and he was amazing. And then to find out his actual life where his parents squandered all his money. He had to sue them to get it back, he had to divorce his parents. I mean, just one awfulness after another. And it's just you see all the work he was forced into doing and for almost no money. It's just Yet it's terrible. So it can be. It can be a very disgusting, awful business. It can also be a very wonderful and credible, fulfilling business. So it's like anything else. I imagine, it's got its good points and it's bad. Right back in Michigan, Jessica's trying on dresses for her sister, and it's the night of that big dance, remember that one from way at the beginning of the movie that everybody's forgotten about.
Speaker 2: School also completely forgot about it. I was like, what, there's a prom? Like, what's happening?
Speaker 1: We're at a dance? Now?
Speaker 2: What china on dresses? And why are you trying to want for your sister? This is so stupid. I was so done.
Speaker 1: Yeah I didn't done it. Yeah, by this point I was too u The school also now thinks Jessica as a wacko, since Christopher claimed he didn't know her at all, So then.
Speaker 6: She told people she knew him, but she didn't tell anybody she knew him, So how did they How did the story get out that she knew him and then he lied about knowing her?
Speaker 2: Can anyone explain no idea?
Speaker 1: I none of this made sense, so did she because she would have to have said, I spent the day with Christopher wild I loved him so much. We got along and he wasn't who I thought he was. And then he comes out ands like I've never met her, but she didn't tell anyone, So how did some did somebody else?
Speaker 2: I think it was it.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be because of like whatever that director saw, like this girl.
Speaker 2: Who is this girl?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: What I feel like you were supposed to stem from. But I'm telling you, at this point I was so disconnected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't make sense. And when there's too many questions and there are no rules, I'm out.
Speaker 1: I agree by the way, I will say, and we we we touched on this very briefly, but we should. Again, I don't blame any of the actors. No, the acting is fine. The act of this movie was fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not.
Speaker 3: I mean the characters themselves, Like she was you know, our main character was very.
Speaker 1: She was mean and annoying, and the sister is mean annoying. But I don't play that's not because of how she played it.
Speaker 2: It's it's how it was written for sure.
Speaker 1: Correct. So yeah, correct? Okay, So the school thinks that she's a whacko since Christopher claimed he didn't know her at all. H he calls her pathetic, just as Jessica walks back into the room. Finally, Sarah steps up as the sister to console her and begs her to go to the dance to get her mind off of things okay, and she was successful because now at the dance, the Olsen's sisters arrive. Sarah encourages her to be herself, and then finally they have a heartfelt moment. That's until Sarah acts like she doesn't know her at all and walks off again. It was like they were like, we need an ending to this movie.
Speaker 2: Let's just end it, I know, and justice let's go.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, I'm doing the same thing as a come out credits, roll them credits, and I was seriously like to see in my head going like I might watch might watch High School Musical again after this, because that make me happy, doctor Chivago compared to this. And just as some mean girl start to laugh at Jessica, the lights go out and guess who walks on stage? Madonna, No, I'm kidding, none other than Christopher Wilde. He calls out to Jessica Olsen and the schools in shock. She walks up to the stage as he explains there are some things he didn't get a chance to stay in California, and then he sings his newest ballad, all about how he tried to walk away from her, but nothing's ever felt so wrong. He thought he was protecting her, got lost along the way, and uh, okay, he's here now to tell her his true feelings. Okay, it's a very literal song. He might as well have just mentioned Michigan and her name, like it's because of you, Jessica and Michigan plumb Pinto. You're plum Pinto and I'm actual school dance that we all forgot about. The song ends with them now face to face and the school's applauding. She wonders what he thought would happen, that he just walked back into her life and everything can be okay. He apologizes again, but she's not sold. She was humiliated, and then of course Libby from Starstruck and her cameraman walk in. What They ask Christopher if he was lying about Jessica, and he looks directly into her camera and admits he did lie. The truth is, Jessica understands him like no one else can, and he's crazy about her. He promises he's never gonna hurt her again and ask for her forgiveness. She shakes her head yes, and they go in for a kiss, but before they do, forever tainting the movie is problematic. Sarah cuts in. She wants to meet Christopher Wilde and is super weird about it. Then she fades because of course she's not at all jealous that her sister is now dating the guy she's been in love with forever. Christopher aske Jessica to go on a real date. She makes sure neither of them have to wear disguises, then accepts the invite. They put on some cool guys sunglasses, and I have one more dance, this time with Stubby on stage wrapping his heart out. We get our credits over the students going wild, and that's thankfully the end of our movies.
Speaker 2: Eighty one minutes, eight minutes.
Speaker 1: That's shows you how eighty one minutes can feel like an awfully long time. Sabrina, you get the five star reviews because we're going to do real reviews. Now, what do you got?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm already stumped on this user name.
Speaker 1: Fazy cool Catspots, cool Cats, box Catbots, Cool Catbots Wow, I've been cool cat bots, cool cat.
Speaker 2: Cool cool cat boys. Oh, cool cat bots.
Speaker 1: I'd a cat baz, cool cat bas.
Speaker 2: All right, wild for wild. He's the Prince of twenty ten Disney, directly after King Troy Bolton. Something about the sunshine pave the way for music as we know it. As far as songs, this movie has a ton of iconic classics.
Speaker 1: Wow, name one, fight stars, cool cat's bots, name one. I have the one star review and this is from random Spontaneity. Okay, this is one of my favorite reviews. If you do visit Michigan, please do not let this piece of fail ruin your impression of us. We are, on the whole a generally nice and friendly group of people. I can guarantee you that none of us will treat you as terribly as the Michigan teens in this film treat each other. One star. Oh my, okay, Well, let's go to our favorite portion of the program right now, and it is our feature program, which is called a dormy enormy clever. I love it, very good title. So in Starstruck, Alexis Bender can't believe Christopher fell in love with someone who isn't famous. She says that only happens in movies, but that's just not true. It happens all the time. I mean, both of us married not famous normies. So we will be given a profession and we have to pick which celebrity married that normy? Can we just call the muggles? I don't like that word normy. Uh, but here we go. Who are we playing with today?
Speaker 7: You get Lisa Hey?
Speaker 1: All right? So number one, I guess we're gonna tell say what the profession is and then the people will see who married them. So number one an interior designer? Was that Don Johnson? B Joel McHale, see Robert de Niro or B Matt Damon? What do you got, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: D Matt Damon.
Speaker 1: I think Matt Damon married a bartender famously. So I think I'm gonna say B Joel.
Speaker 7: McHale in a weird way. You're kind of right, Will, but uh, Sabrina takes this. It is D Matt Damon Lucyanna Barossa and it says when they met, she actually was a bartender.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you, Yeah, okay, so that's the then that's wrong, Thank you very much. She was a bartender. That's the famous thing about him. He loved her for years, so I'm wrong. I'm counting that a win for me. One for me too. We both got that correct because if it said which one was married a bartender, I would have known exactly what it was. Fake question Number two the makeup artist A Patrick Dempsey, B Steve BUSCEMI, C John c Riley or D Keegan Michael Key. A Patrick Dempsey say D Keegan, Michael Key.
Speaker 7: Sabrina's on a role.
Speaker 1: It's a you know all these damn I don't know any of these. Number three jewelry designers at A and Hathaway, B, Margot Robbie, C, Emma Roberts or D Shania Twain.
Speaker 2: C Emma Roberts, C Ema Roberts.
Speaker 7: A and haf Adam Schulman.
Speaker 2: Okay, George, that's it.
Speaker 1: I have officially lost, Thank you exactly. Sabrina loves that. Number four of vet Tech. Is that A Jason Moraz, B Samuel L. Jackson, C. John Stewart or D. Wolf Blitzer. I don't think Jason raz is married?
Speaker 2: Is he? I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, B.
Speaker 2: Samuel, I'm gonna go with that too. It is C.
Speaker 7: Mary Tracy McShane.
Speaker 1: Doctor Tracy McShane, doctor uh and see an art gallery curator is at A Warren Buffett see Christian Slater or B Christian Slater see Larry David or D. Jesse Eisenberg.
Speaker 2: B Christian Slater see Larry David.
Speaker 7: I have it as B, so that means Sabrina win you one.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. Wow, that's a big Do you have any Sabrina seas or do you just want to skip them?
Speaker 3: The only one that we didn't kind of cover, and it was more so like Sabrina's irritations.
Speaker 2: Is that we were doing today.
Speaker 3: My biggest thing is about this, and we talked about a lot of them, was the just not talking about things that happened the club, the this, the that the biggest one was the loss of a freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: Car, like nobody cared.
Speaker 3: First of all, the way it happened was so ridiculous, and they're all sudden was just this like sandpit or mud, and then they were like searching it, say.
Speaker 2: Was so stupid.
Speaker 3: But the fact that the car was gone, never returned, and never spoke about was the most ridiculous thing I think we have ever seen in a DCM like, I think that is right up there.
Speaker 2: And that's the last one. Oh no, sorry, they'll sorry.
Speaker 3: The last one was her sister and I talked about this earlier in the episode, her sister saying, now, let's get you pretty enough to be my sister to go to the dance. I would have been like you, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going the dance.
Speaker 1: We didn't even remember we had.
Speaker 3: We didn't even First of all, I forgot about it. Second of all, like, no, I'm not going. Let's make me pretty enough. How about I'm prettier than you.
Speaker 2: So kicks Shelby.
Speaker 1: Or whatever your name is, Sarah, I think get out. I like it.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Well, now let's score our film. This should be fun. Our options for this week we're doing one out of ten. I'm not even make a joke out of it. The options for this week are confusing prom opinions one out of ten, unrelated beebers one out of ten, Hollywood handshakes one out of ten, Plump Pinto's awful doctor cars, guys with guitars at parties, Paparazzi's in the same van one out of ten, Harry Perry's one out of ten, Sad salad pokes, which sounds like a weird thing one out of ten Zach Posen's or one out of ten Stubbies, which also sounds like a weird sex thing.
Speaker 2: Sabrina, you pick, I'm gonna go with plumb pintos.
Speaker 1: You got it? I think I'm I go first this time. Let's just get this over with. I did not like this movie. Again. The acting was fine, it looked okay. This story was all over the place. It made no sense. I don't know what this movie was supposed to be or what it was supposed to be about. It wasn't really romantic. It wasn't really a comedy. It wasn't it wasn't really a musical. I don't know what this movie is. You can come at me all you want to. I will stand by this all day long. I'm gonna give this four point five plumb pintos. This movie was just all over the place. I didn't get it. And it's also we're coming off of two or three in a row that we really liked, so we can see what can be done so to go from. We've even seen a better version of this with Stuck in the Suburbs. I mean, you've seen this already seen this movie done better. So this was not a good movie. What do you got?
Speaker 3: This was a miss for me through and through and it frustrates me and I hate it because you know how much I love being bright and shiny on this podcast.
Speaker 2: This was a dull and dim day for Sabrain and Brian. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for those of the people that that actually loved this.
Speaker 3: I can literally I don't say this about many dcoms. I did not like it at all, and it hurts to do that. I'm going to give it for rest in peace plum pintos, because I yes, that never happens. I literally would never ever want to ever watch this again. I know, and it's completely I feel terrible being that strong feeling about it.
Speaker 2: But the holes were too big.
Speaker 3: There was nothing talked about this was, which made it just not real like it was.
Speaker 2: This is a real thing. I love this storyline.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: This idea of a celebrity finding not just a regular person totally up my alley, completely missed the mark for me.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent agree with you. All right, Well, thank you everybody for joining us. Our next movie is putting us back in the saddle and hopefully back on Track. It's two thousands horse riding drama ready to run. It's currently available to stream on Disney Plus. I don't miss your chance to get a little pregame in before we recap it, and don't forget to always go over and check out our park Hopper episodes on our Magical Rewind feed. We interview some great people talking about incredible movies and some movies and aren't the best in the world. So just search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe to make sure every new episodes end up in your library. Who It was a rough ending the way, It was a rough beginning the rate, It was a rough middle. It was a rough movie. But thanks everybody. By the way, send all your hate to Sabrina Bryan. She loves to read it. I hate it, don't do it.
Speaker 2: By bye, everybody,