Speaker 1: Colson Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff, the podcast where we talk about how even when there's bad things happening, there's people who are doing good things. And that has been happening as long as there have been people. There've been people doing bad things, and then people be doing good things, and then there'll be people doing morally ambiguous things and critiquing the idea of dividing things into good and bad.
Speaker 1: But I'm willing to do it anyway.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Margaret Kiltroy, and my guest this week is Corey Doctor.
Speaker 1: Oh, Hi, how are you Hi. Nice to be back with you, Margaret. Yeah, this totally separate day.
Speaker 2: We're definitely not just recording one minute later where we were left off. I actually want to something you were saying, the Reverse Centaur's Guide to AI and how it is number one selling nonfiction book in Canada right now. Like, I think people have this idea that writing books is sort of old fashioned or doesn't necessarily like change things as dramatically, Like if you hang out with just direct action activists in particular, they're a little bit like, yeah, writing books, whatever, all that matters is stopping this following like project that is destroying the world, and I used to a little bit buy into that, but then I talked to some of my elders and they helped correct me on this. But it's interesting because it's a slower change. And so I'm wondering if you can kind of point to some of the things that have happened throughout your career, like things the slow shifting of culture, whether through your fiction or nonfiction, Like what's the point of books? Sell me on writing books. You don't actually have to because that's what I do, but do it anyway.
Speaker 1: So I guess from my worm's eye view, right, because we all have the bird's eye view about books right where we can see sometimes a book comes out and there are things attributed to it, whether that's Uncle Tom's cabin or you know. My favorite example a book from before they invented good titles, which is called The History of the Standard Oil Company, Parts one in two, which sounds extremely boring but was in fact the book that killed Johnny Rockefeller's empires, written by Tarbell and serialized in a national magazine, became a giant bestseller. And Tarbell was incredible. She was like an order and an early suffragist and organizer, but she was also like the first woman in America to get a science degree. And her dad was a Pennsylvania oilman who'd been ruined by Rockefeller, and so she like it was her vendetta, and so she just like went and read all the footnotes and all of his financial filings and figured out how he was cheating and wrote this book. Again, amazing book, written before they invented titles. So it was the History of the Standard All Company, Volumes one and two. Just a fucking banger still today, like genuinely like a really good book. So you know, we can talk about how this stuff, like how books change things, right in that kind of macro sense where we can all take the bird's eye view, but from the worm's eye view of having written a bunch of books. I every now and again, and increasingly now that I'm old and I've written more than thirty of them, and I've been at it for more than a quarter of a century, run into people who very kindly seek me out to attribute some or all of the work that they do that makes a difference in the world to an experience that they had reading my books. Yeah, and I'm very careful to say, like the work was the important part, right, Like I might have given them a shove in the right direction. They met my work at the right moment and it made a difference for them. But you know, the credit is due to them. I'm not trying to take credit for their work here, right, but totally. I like it started going to cons like Defcon, just big Hacker Con in the desert in Vegas, and I would run into people and this was like maybe starting fifteen years ago or maybe even longer, where I would run into people who were It was quite disorienting because they were like grown ass adults and they would say, I read little Brother in middle school, and now I'm a hacker and I work on helping people bright their shits.
Speaker 2: And like now they're you're peer, and you're like, wait, hold on, how am I older than you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, now I've made my peace with I have two artificial hips, I had cataract surgery. I'm just a fucking old guy. So you know you taught me yoga. Yeah, surely you had done yoga before that though, It's true, but yeah, yeah, a person who is like sat in trees to stop them from being cut down is surely done yoga, and I'm also hugged a tree at one point, right right right. It's like saying I taught you tie dying or something. I'm convinced I did not. I gave you your first tofu. Definitely not so like jokingly I call this my botnet, but there really is like a little army of people who some of their cues they took for me. And it was, you know, in the sense that an avalanche has a lot of little pebbles that start rolling and then eventually something big happens. I can see that there's stuff happening in the world where I was one of the pebbles. Yeah. So you know, this movement to like seize the means of computation, make computers work for people and not for their bosses. I think there are a lot of participants in that who got their start or were inspired to keep you sure by reading some of my work, and some of them are quite famous for it. The most famous example of this is if you watch Citizen four, which is the Academy Award winning documentary about Edward Snowden made by Laura Poitras. When she's in Hong Kong with him, and he's just revealed his identity, and he's about to go underground and go live with these Hong Kong activists because they know that his identity is going to become public in a day when they published that. He did this with the intention of going public, and he is grabbing the things he's going to need to go underground. He takes a copy of my novel Homeland, the sequel to a Little Brother, off the bedside table and puts it in his go Bagow and Ed and I have since become friends, and he wrote the introduction to a reissue of Little Brother and Homeland that I'm extremely proud to have. And you Ed did what he did for reasons that he wrote about in a memoir that's a very very good memoir in which my work plays an infinitesimal role, but it played a role, right right. Ed had a journey where he went from being kind of a chud right if you like. This was one of the things that when he first came out and we knew who he was, and like people found his old ars Technica phost where he's like being a bit of an edge lord because he was like a kid who aspired to join the Special Forces. Right, Yeah, that was like who he was, right, but he became someone totally different, and that journey was something that a bunch of us helped him down and then he did something hugely consequential and important. And so you know, I feel like that's you know, when I think about the role my work has played, it's not the same as the direct action. I didn't leak a bunch of documents that revealed the extent of US A spying. I didn't risk a firing squad, but I played a small role in that extremely important historic juncture. Well.
Speaker 2: I like it because I think that in a weird way, writing fiction, when you're not trying to write the book that takes down the thing. I mean, we're all trying to write the book that takes down the thing. But just like doing anything else, we don't take down the thing by ourselves. We do it all together. And I feel like, in a weird way, even though writing books like usually there's only one or two names on it, but like ideas don't come from nowhere, Like I love that we all get to be part of this great woven together like movement of movements and all trying to do this stuff together, and I also like how like like your work influences is mine, but I also like don't have the same politics as you, right sure, and like that's great. I love recommending your books. I'm never like, oh, I don't know, I don't agree with the following minutia of like you know, I'm like, no, like, we need books about how we unfuck the world and we need them now.
Speaker 1: And something else you were saying last episode was about oh, you mean a whole week ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, huh yeah, oh no, it's two days ago. This podcast comes out twice a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 2: I The other thing I took after you was too much of a workload. My newsletters only once a week, and that's already you know, a lot. But then I of my three podcasts a week. Something you were talking about before was this idea you brought up, utopian writing, and that's not something that people did much of, or it got around much, this idea of like what if we did things different? Like I feel like for the past couple decades until more recently, we mostly saw fiction how bad things can get right, And it seems like now that things are getting the bad that everyone predicted. I remember when reading nineteen eighty four, I was like, oh, yeah, TV that spies on you whatever or well right, and I'm like, oh no, I have a TV that spies on me, and it's just literally cheaper than buying a monitor. So I choose to have a TV that spies on me because it's cheaper than buying a monitor.
Speaker 1: I would quival with the word choice there. I would say something like, you are being bulldozed into it or whatever, right, Sure, yeah, no, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true because I'm like, I don't actually consent to all this stuff that's happening, just because I want to participate in society instead of completely remove myself from it. Yeah, but you choose to write what if we could be better? And I find that really important because right now I think that a lot of us are struggling with imagining what we can do besides have flock cameras and endless data centers as exactly the wrong moment for data centers, exactly the wrong moment for like, let's add way more power to the grid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm curious what brings you towards writing what if we could be better.
Speaker 1: Well, I think one of the things that unlocked it for me is distinguishing between a dystopia and a story with dystopian furniture in it, because like a dystopia, that's orwell, right, that's the bootstamping on the human face forever, Yeah, totally, Like that's of course, that's dystopian. Yeah, but it is not dystopian to imagine that things will break down right, right, okay, and it is hopeful to imagine that when they break down we can fix them again. The idea that like this moment we're at where we have a civilization that, at least, if it were more equitably distributed, could meet everyone's basic needs, could provide a good quality of life, could advance the useful arts and sciences in ways that would be beneficial to people, and you know, both by delighting them but also by treating their illnesses and so on, like that this is a contingent moment we arrived at, that we threaded a bunch of needles that we will never thread again, and if this breaks down, we'll never rebuild it, right, or that we are like fallen from grace, and that the people who built this were better than us and we have like devolved generation on generation to the point where we could never like a very kind of renaissancey like, oh, you know, the Greeks could fly and you.
Speaker 2: Know whatever, right, Like right, the Victorians could go and fight polar bears with their bare hands.
Speaker 1: Sure, right, Yeah. So this idea that there's like this stuff that our ancestors did that we will never recover, that's very dystopian to me, right, Whereas the idea that this stuff that our ancestors built will break down, that's not pessimistic. That's just like acknowledging the second law of thermodynamics, right, like things fall apart, right, the second law of thermodynamics should not be up for grabs, unless maybe if you're writing fantasy, certainly not if you're writing science fiction. But the idea that we can beat back entropy, that we can like build collective projects that bring us to a place where we can meet our needs and solve our problems and take care of one another, that like that feels to me like a very optimistic thing, especially if we can do it under conditions of extremis and difficulty, Because it's easy to imagine, for example, that like in a society with rule of law where we have relatively stable political situation, where you have people who are you know, have their basic needs met and so on, that you could embark on a research program that ends up doing something to you know, help people with cancer or come up with a vaccine for some horrible disease or whatever. Right, it's harder to imagine that, like in conditions of breakdown, Right, it's hard to imagine, like, if you're in Ukraine at this moment or Russia at this moment, how you would do that because so many of your resources are being turned to pointless war, and you know you're in Russia especially, the rule of law is breaking down because the war is very unpopular. And so there's this you know, whatever rule of law persisted before is now being jettisoned in the name of you know, crushing descent so that the country can prosecute its war to a lesser extense. Happening in Ukraine where we're seeing the disruption of regular elections and so on. Yeah, So, like, for me, a very hopeful story is a story in which people in extremists, right, people surrounded by dystopian furniture find the collective will, the ingenuity, the gumption, right, sure, yeah, the stick toitiveness to actually say, well, fuck, all of society is just shut down, and we still need an MR and a vaccine. We're just gonna fucking do it, right, And like, that's a very hopeful thing, right, like to snatch victory out of the jaws to defeat that way is not utopian in the sense that utopia literally means no place right everything that can happen. I think it's a very achievable, hopeful aspiration. And when you think back to the ancestors who created the circumstance in which we had stable politics, the rule of law, and the political and fiscal breathing space to embark on ambitious research projects to address human needs, they built that stuff in a moment of adversity, right, Like they start from peace and then build it. They got the peace by building it, right, And so yeah, it's easier to do that stuff when you have peace and stability, but it can't. It's not a prerequisite. It's never been a prerequisite. And right, if they did it, we can do it well.
Speaker 2: And it's just because something's hard doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to do it and believe in ourselves to do it.
Speaker 1: No, this this makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's like something that they bring up a lot as people watch trans writes and LGBT rights disappear at a you.
Speaker 1: Know, terrifying pace.
Speaker 2: Right, But it's like, yeah, but we got those rights in the case of gay men during more or less a genocide, right, right, Like people were fighting while literally dying in mass and like, you know, everything that we've gotten, we have built, we have fought for, we have gotten and so it's like, yeah, it's gotten harder again, and it it's really annoying. It's really annoying because I want to be fighting climate change and instead I have to be fighting fascism. Like this is like really frustrating, but we've done it before.
Speaker 1: And the movement that defeats fascism, right, we'll have the solidarity, the infrastructure, the membership, the trust relationships to fight climate change. You know. One of the things that like I'm at great pains to talk to people about in this moment of changing political views and changing political climate and reality is that shopping isn't politics. You can't vote with your wallet and that, like and they're like, well, what about boycott's And I'm like, boycott is not going to the grocery store and then thinking really hard about what you're going to buy. That wasn't BDS, That wasn't the boycott against apartheid. It is an articulated political movement that it's not a thing you do on your own. A boycott is a thing where you have to go to meetings, right, you have to somewhat some boring fuck is reading Robert's rules of orders. There is a stupid argument about who's going to wash the cups afterwards? Like that's how like boycotts are not. They are ineluctively collective action. And you know, the Montgomery bus boycott was not three hundred and eighty consecutive days of people deciding to walk to work. It was an organized movement mostly run by black communists who had specific goals that they articulated on a national stage. They had just kind of material stuff like carpools, but they also had like an organization that would go and lean on bosses that disciplined workers for being late because they were taking a carpool instead of the bus.
Speaker 2: I like that phrasing lean on Yeah, that does a lot of lifting, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And it may seem like, well, that was a lot of overhead that they had to put in to like take in a carpool. But the overhead was a feature, not a bug. Because when after three hundred and eighty days they broke segregation on that bus line, they had a movement that became the basis of the civil rights movement. Right, those people became the backbone of the civil rights movement. And this is that brian Ne no quote about developed underground. You know, five thousand people bought the record, but they all started a band. You know, five thousand people were involved in organizing the Montgomery bus boycott, and they all started a group somewhere in America that fought, you know, for racial justice. So you know, like the fact that you have to get involved in organize politics to fight for trans rights again is very frustrating because we thought we'd want a bunch of those fights, right, and that movement will serve us well in fighting fascism, and then the anti fascist move will service well in fighting climate emergency, right, because like the infrastructure of a movement is itself a useful thing to have over and above the immediate goals that the movement pursues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're right, And like I forget this all the time, right, because it's so easy to get lost in immediate fights and like crisis and stuff like that. But like I remember, I showed up to Asheville a day or two after Helene because I have a basement full of prepper stuff and my friends needed it. So it drove down there with a van and you know, talked with people who are organizing, and it really was direct and clear. The degree to which any given town was resilient was the degree to which there were organized people there. Like basically, someone was like, look, if that town had anarchists and they were getting stuff done, that town did better. And it wasn't like they went to the anarchist meeting. There's other groups that were doing this as well. But it was like the harm reduction group, right, the people who sit around and figure out how do we distribute needles, have a system by which they distribute things, and they have people who trust them. And so then I show up into Ashville and they're like, hey, you have a van, we know you, we trust you. Go drive it up into the county to the harm reduction the rural harm reduction group that is doing this stuff.
Speaker 1: Now you're you're.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right, and I want to talk to you about one of the ways you've described on fucking the world.
Speaker 1: Before you do this, I want a little sidebar here. Have you ever read Eric Flint? No, I don't think so. The name sounds familiar, so Eric, he's dad.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Eric was a Marxist meat packing union organizer from Chicago who wrote left wing military science fiction for Baine Books, the home of the most reaction or military fiction in the world. So he was an incredible guy. We were on a panel together at a World con on labor politics and science fiction about how little labor organizing shows up and even during an era in which there's a lot of labor organizing. And his thesis was that the core readership of science fiction, which were people who knew something about electronics and engineering, had such high demand as workers in that moment that they just never thought about labor politics because they were getting from scarcity what you would otherwise need solidarity to get, and so they didn't really think of it. It's just the samething that happened to computer software engineers thirty years later or forty years later. So Eric wrote this long running series. The first film is called I believe sixteen thirty seven. It's a year, and it is about a strange event in which some kind of time storm hits a town in Virginia that's a union coal mining town on the evening that the head of the United mind Workers union is wring the coal boss's daughter at the union hall, and the union hall and the whole town are transported back to the middle of the Thirty Years War. Okay, yeah, no, I have to read this. So they've got a coal mine, they've got a power plant, they've got the school library which explains how to build a civilization from scratch, and all of the groups within the town become factors in this movement in the middle of the Thirty Years War to build a new egalitarian democratic project in the middle of the Thirty Years War in Central Europe. So like among other things, the girls cheerleading squad are also the ski shooting team, and they hire themselves to King Olaf of Sweden to hunt mercenaries because the mercenary chiefs it's like before effective ranged weapons. So we have not reached the point yet in which the guy who's in charge of the mercenary band has learned that you don't sit on a horse with a giant plume on your head if you're elading people, so like they're just sitting there with fucking targets on them. And so the girls ski shooting team, who know how to work as an organization, wipe out all the mercenaries in Central Europe and in exchange for King Oloff agreeing that in all the territory conquers there will not be an established church and they'll be freedom of religion. Right, So this is how they get there, and then they liberate all the camp followers and do feminist consciousness raising with them, right, But the mineworkers know how to work as a unit, so the mineworkers become the backbone of this like democratic paramilitary in the middle of the Thirty Years War across Entry, they blew up the Tower of London at one point. Is so fucking good, and Eric like he wrote like ten of these and he roped all these like hard right military science fiction motherfuckers into working on the series with him because it was such a fucking romp. And all these guys are history weirdos and they're just like, ah, I just want to write about like this Spanish duke. I've got like this series hate on and I want to pitch him against the United Mine Workers. I don't care that you are communist. Eric, We're just going to do this together. And it's like David Drake writing these with Eric Flint. They're so good. And I'll say the last thing I'll say about Eric is two thousand and seven at the World Come in Los Angeles, we were on a panel together and we were at the planning stage for it, and I had just watched the DNC where Obama gave his speech Yeah, and I was like, oh my god, this guy is incredible. He is going to change the world. And Eric was like, kid, let me explain something to you. I'm from Chicago. He is a Chicago machine democrat. He is not a fresh faced kid. He is a cynical operator who will not co govern with a movement. He will, immediately upon being elected, shut down all public accountability and accountability to people within his movement and govern autocratically in back rooms, wheeling and dealing and making grand bargains. So Eric flot was right, Yeah, one hundred percent right. It was prophetic. I spent the next like eight years just hearing Eric's voice in my head.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's amazing honestly, even actually specifically this raising a politician who will not co govern with a movement, and it is something that we're seeing potentially different, Like I have not seen this many people excited about electoral politics in a long time, with this current rise of the DSA from a thing that you know, some people who like to go to meetings too much go to to As you were pointing out, sometimes by going to meetings a lot, you can start trying to accomplish things.
Speaker 1: It's not just about learning to shout stack at the most obnoxious moment. There's actually like reasons to go right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and oh god, it even kind of gets into that whole like all wars logistics thing.
Speaker 1: Sure army travels on its stomach, quartermasters win and lose the war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you wrote a book that is an ode to gorilla urban planning and the DSA ushering in a better world. But not as dry as that sounds. But I think people have been listening to you for this long. Not that you want to know how to put a plot on things, and two you know how to complicate things right in this story you're not presenting just like here's the person who's always right. You actually do a pretty good job of a flawed protagonist in that where I find myself being like, ah, this boy isn't listening.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's the point. The point is the boy is it listening? Yes, coming of age requires not being of age when you start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, totally. So you wrote this book called The Lost Cause, and it's about the idea that some twenty thirty years in the future, kind of on the tail end of a green new deal, there's a backlash, but specifically as in crises get worse, the solutions that people are finding is by coming together collectively and building new physical infrastructure. And it makes the reader think about physical infrastructure in a way that I'm used to kind of being like keep around old stuff. That's how you like as like a more environmentalist thing, right, Like if someone's like, oh, I want to redo my kitchen green and you're like, maybe not redoing your kitchen is the green thing to do here, right, Sure, But when you're talking about on an actual physical housing level, it seems like this book makes the argument that like, well, actually, the future demands that we have energy efficient, good at filtering smoke, and good at maintaining heating and cooling infrastructure, which is just not what we have built in this country historically.
Speaker 1: Well. Yes, and the more dense we make our housing in the places where people live, the less housing we have to put in places where our horizontal brothers and sisters live. That was John Muir's name for them. So you know, if we want to maximize how much habitat we have, we should maximize how dense our cities are. And also you know there's the energy efficiencies and whatever, and I just like very urban and also like if you hate cities, the more that people who don't hate cities can go live in cities, the more space there's going to be for you to live. It's the same as like, if you love driving, you should love bicycles. Yeah, because the more drivers there are in bicycles, like, the more of a free rain you're going to have to drive. Right. Oh, this is such a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you ever read There's no reason you would have, but it's about exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: But it's a terrible book.
Speaker 2: It's a book called My Journey with Aristotle to the Anarchist Utopia from the nineties by Graham Purchase. So there was this green syndicalist in the nineties whose work I think you would dig but kind of maybe in a like here's the people who came before, talking about very similar things. Someone gets conked on the head during a mining strike.
Speaker 1: It's always miners, I know.
Speaker 2: Wakes up A thousand years of the future by a guy named Aristotle who is like, the world has split up into like syndicates instead of countries, and this syndicate they've taken all of their territory, put basically everyone into a city that is made out of biodegradable plastic, and everything is bicycle highways. Everything else is forest. And there's like one guy who's like, I don't want to live in the city, and so he keeps the forest intact. And one of the ways he does is he builds the raised pathways. And like, I read this and it's just terrible writing, no offense, Graham Purchase. I doubt you're listening, but I think you know that it was not fiction. Is not what you were born to do here. Yeah, So this is the thing that reminded me of it because I was thinking about it. Is like hiking, and sometimes you build raised walkways and they seem so intrusive, and then you're like, actually, this is the less intrusive way to get a lot of people to this area, plus handicap accessibility. Ye, but it's like a way to walk lighter on the land is sometimes by building infrastructure rather than everyone being an American frontiersman who goes out and has the house in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, look, the alternative to lighting old dead shit on fire is digging up minerals and making solar panels. And like, I'm not going to say that digging up minerals is always or even usually a good way to like, you know, walk lightly on the land, but i am going to say that, like, if we can figure out how to do that in the most just way possible, then this gets us away from a millennia old tradition of setting old dead shit on fire, which like, frankly, is just not a thing we can keep doing. And if you love a fire, if you love like a fireplace, if you can get everyone to stop lighting old dead shit on fire when there's a better alternative, then there's like more fiscal space in the atmosphere for the co two from your fire. Yeah, And so like you should be on the side of it. Like again, like when you have a thing that you like doing that is the default that because everyone's doing it is killing us. All you should want a better default so that you can do your special boy thing you do the special point gets the special fire in the special car, and the special huh you know, single family in the special suburb for the people who love that shit, you know, And like, yeah, the problem isn't that we have a suburb or some suburbs. The problem is we have like all suburbs, right, and so the more urbanized we can be, the more like again, I think fiscal space is the right way to think about this. Like just the whether we have like the capacity, the resource capacity, the carrying capacity to sustain it is a matter of like whether everyone does it or some people do it. And when we think of it as a privilege, right, it's like, well, all the good people get a big house and the shitty people get the tiny apartment, that feels unjust. But when it's like, well, all the people who want to live in a big, bustling city, like I live in a six hundred square foot flat up six flights of stairs in East London. I also have our movie theater on my corner. I have fifty amazing restaurants within a five minute walk. I can cycle to to Leicester Square in fifteen minutes on a separated bike path. I am living the fucking dream. You can walk more everywhere. People are interest like I take so many pictures now. It's funny because I lived in LA for ten years. I moved from London to LA for ten years and moved back again because my wife quit her job in London, took a job or in LA and took a job back in London where she started at the BBC. And I take so many pictures now, and it's because I see new things every day. I love seeing new things every day. They're delightful, you know, like it's just so great to live here. And you know, like the fact that London has a green belt means that I can be in the countryside if I feel the need to be in the countryside in under an hour, right, And I was just like for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, we rented a cabin in the literal hundred acre Wood and we went to the hundred Acre Wood and stayed in a cabin, an off grade cabin on a little pond in the hundred acre wood.
Speaker 2: And it's just like sharing infrastructure is more efficient. Everyone owning a lawnmower is one of the worst ideas that everyone ever came up with.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: I don't want to maintain, well, I don't really want to maintain a lawn, but I don't want to have to maintain all of these two stroke engines in order to have the cops not called on me.
Speaker 1: So everyone needs to have two stroke engines, Like I think drill is a better example actually, so like so because I own a home in Los Angeles and you.
Speaker 2: Need to drive pretty regularly, well three times a year, I going to make a hole in a wall.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I'm a little bit more active with my space. Is I like, you have a reason to own a drill? I have a reason to own what I call the minimum viable Yeah, yeah, totally a trashy reobie. It is a device that every time I use it, I'm like, how is that this has not like exploded and showered me in shrapnel? Right now, I've used good drills, right, Like, I've done construction projects where we had professional tools. I know the difference. There's no reason for me to own that. But if the library was circulating twenty five drills in my neighborhood and they were location aware and I could figure it like, you wouldn't have to return them. You just get a message from your neighbors saying, hey, can I come over and grab the drill? Looks like you're done with it, and then whenever it needs maintenance, you take it back to the library. And because the library is buying it for this like non market use, you buy it so it gracefully degrades back into parts stream, so that the telemetry gathers about its usage is used to improve the next version of the drill that's made right, so that it's like the people's drill, comrade, and it's the best fucking drill you can imagine. It's better than the drill that Margaret Kiljoy, who actually does construction projects, would ever be able to afford. Because it's overbuilt. It's built for community use, and like, far from being a punishment, it's a reward for living in a society, in the same way that like, if you live in a good society, you don't have to carry toilet paper around with you right, wherever you need to take a ship, there's always toilet paper. It is the mark of a failing society that everyone needs toilet paper in their bag, not a successful one. And wherever we're talking about things where it makes more sense to have like a stochastic cloud of a thing rather than everyone gets their own, Like everyone should have their own fucking underwear, right, but everyone doesn't need their own drill. And the people who like again, like if you want a drill, like, there's more fiscal space for your amazing drill if all of us are not, you know, using conflict minerals to have our shitty minimum viable drills that we take out four times a year. Yeah, right, And so like that is a vision of kind of circulating abundance. It's what the seriously wrong podcasters call library socialism. Yeah, it's such like a materially rich way of thinking about things. It's not a world where you have less, it's a world where you have more, but you don't have to have a bunch of drawers full of things you hate. You just like magically, like you stretch your arm out the day you need a drill in your hand lands on the best drill you will ever use in your life, right, you know, that's fucking great. It's the opposite of the self reliance that people, like even leftists often fall for. Yeah, you know, and like I'm guilty of it.
Speaker 2: I lived off grid for a long time, and so I learned by being broke, I had to be self reliant. And so then I started taking pride in that. Right, But I shouldn't have to be. And even when I was quote unquote self reliant, I wasn't. Like, you know, when during the pandemic, I couldn't afford the copper to run the solar panels down to the field that I needed, and a like trans woman in Finland that I met once who made tech money, was like shit, transgirl in need COVID pandemic doesn't have electricity, gave me the money for the wire, you know. Like, I'm not self reliant. I never have been. Self reliance is a lie.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in there. There's a joke about going from DC to AC that I'm not. I can't quite find so.
Speaker 2: Well. Actually I had to step up the voltage way more than I'm used to.
Speaker 1: I had to run ninety six DC volts. Your gender affirming inverter. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: No, if you need something to fixed, call it trans girl. We've been forced out of society.
Speaker 1: But also if you if you have any Internet security problems or need your Linux system administer, yeah, or yes, exactly, Yeah, more terrible noise music, or need to know something about trains. Yeah, totally. But I think we're kind of run out of time.
Speaker 2: And I think that if people want to explore your ideas, they should read your books. You also post a lot to what you post your essays to Blue Sky and master it on. Yeah, and now that you're a public intellectual, I'm going to make fun of you by calling you this.
Speaker 1: Ah, but like at least it's not thought leader. Fuck me, thought leader. Oh yeah, no, thought leaders much Now I hear the word. It is that when I hear thought leader, I reached for the culture. I reach for it. It was a Nazi, right, it wasn't it. It was like I think, so, yeah, it's unfortunate, like Cuba boss uniforms and that line and maybe the Austrian autubawn I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, people should read your books. People should read The Lost cause I know I got a lot out of it. I want to talk to you about walk Away. One day I'm going to talk to you more about walk Away and methods of what it means to step out of society to create alternate societies, what works and doesn't work with that, And one day I'll talk to you more about those things.
Speaker 1: I would very much enjoy talking with you about those things. Come anything you want to plug now, same as last time, pluralistic dot net my five six times a week newsletter, open licensed ce C republished as you say on blue Sky, masted on Medium, Tumblr, I'm the last Tumbler user in the world. It's full text RSS and so on. My books are available everywhere they're sold. I write for McMillan. They're one of the Big five, so if there's a bookstore, they either have them or can get them. And yeah, I think that's it. You know, be excellent to each other. As the guy went to high school, Keanu Reeves says, WHOA, But we never met each other. He was in Okay. We used to have thirteen grades in Ontario, so he was in grade thirteen when I was in grade nine, and we were in an alternative school where he attended specifically because they'd let him be away making movies most of the time, so I literally never saw him once. But he was attending this school when I attended it.
Speaker 2: So one of the reasons I didn't want to leave Twitter was that Bill Winters from the same movie following me on Twitter.
Speaker 1: He's a big eff supporter. Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 2: He yeah, reposted some of my stuff about why an archo capitalists are not anarchists.
Speaker 1: Nice. I really wanted to go see them in Waiting for Goodo. You know that Bill and Ted that he and Reeves just waiting for Godot on Broadway, well made. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I will talk to y'all soon and next week I will be back with a much probably more regular episode, but we will see by everyone.
Speaker 1: Thanks Margaret. Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts and cool Zone Media, visit our website Foalzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the I Heard Radio app, app a Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.