Speaker 1: Hey, you welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 2: And I am Joe McCormick. And Hey, as I mentioned in yesterday's Listener Mail episode, we have got some vault episodes for you this week. We're out a few days this week, so we're bringing you some older episodes of the show. This is part one of our series on the gray whale, which originally published on March second, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Hope you enjoy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb and I'm Joe McCormick. This episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, and I suppose the next one as well, we'll be dealing with gray whales. This is a topic that I was inspired to cover because my family was fortunate enough to get to go on a trip to Mexico to the next state of Baja California, sir to one of the breeding lagoons that the gray whales migrate too every year. Specifically, we went to Ojo de Labra lagoon that means eye of the hair due to the way it's shaped. And yeah, I got to see these magnificent animals close up, got to observe them for a couple of days. It was absolutely fantastic and certainly ignited my curiosity about these creatures.
Speaker 2: I didn't get to see your photos because I'm not on the Gramd, but Rachel was raving about them to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will once this episode comes out off to share some maybe in the discussion module the Facebook group or our discord for the show, And if you don't have access to those, just email us and we'll hook you up. But yeah, I got some great footage, My wife got some great footage, and more than anything, we just got to take in this amazing location, this amazing landscape, and and these amazing animals.
Speaker 2: So this lagoon is one of their calving grounds, and and you were out in boats getting to observe them right up close, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This this is one of several different lagoons where where where this particular population goes to. When we were visiting there, there were hundreds of whales present in this lagoon. It's a pretty vast lagoon. It's surrounded on all sides with this kind of desolate and haunting landscape that's full of like salt, sand and bramble. I mean it's there are there are organisms there either, coyotes around and other creatures, but it's it's it's a unique landscape. Like just flying into Guerera Negro, the nearest town, was was really breathtaking just because the landscape is so beautiful. But the first morning we went out on these boats, there were also these intense fottamorgana mirages on the horizon that really added to the surreal feel of the place.
Speaker 2: What were they like images out Do they look like mountains or.
Speaker 1: They were the surrounding mounted like some of the peaks that were visible on the and also some of the dunes, so like dunes and peaks. So yeah, it was and it looked like floating islands on the horizon. Wow. And then of course closer in you have all of these breaching whales and spy hopping whales and it's amazing. Now, I do want to stress that in this particular situation, only a few boats were permitted on the water at a time. There was no chasing of the whales, there was no feeding of the whales that they don't eat while they are there. And we'll get into the reasons for this as we move through these episodes. But there's no need to chase and there's no need to try and bait them in, because they're very curious. They come up to the boats, they inspect the boats, and sometimes they're obviously scraping their skin against the holes of the boats, perhaps to relieve themselves some of the parasites that they have, the exo parasites, and we'll discuss that as well, probably well in this episode. Actually, other times, though they're not scraping against the boats. Sometimes they're just kind of pushing them around a little bit, like playing with them, I guess, to try and figure out what their mind might be. Other times they're just kind of breaching a little bit. They're spy hopping, and they seem to have some sort of interest in what's going on in the boats or with the boats. Humans will reach out and touch them, and it seems like the whales like this on some level. It's a very very very strange situation, Like it feels kind of like certainly there's a sense of curiosity on both sides, but there's also this, you know, if you want to get spiritual about it, there's almost this feeling of communion.
Speaker 2: So sometimes they'll kind of bring part of their body out of the water or breach. But also you said spy hopping is that when they raise their eyes above the water level to see what's above the surface.
Speaker 1: Well, in other species such as the orca, there's there's definitely more of an eye coming above the water with the with the gray whales, they're not even necessarily getting their eyes above water. So it's uh, and I think it's there. There's some different takes on why exactly they're doing this, but they'll, yeah, they'll kind of spy hop next to the boat, and they're spy hopping out further away from the boats as well. And and then yeah, sometimes they're rolling around in the water and kind of and you'll even like look into their eye that sometimes they are looking up through the water at you. And that's one of those moments where you're just you know, you're you're thinking about like what are they seeing? What are they possibly thinking as they look up at us, what do they think we are? And then you also look at this whale and you just, man, I was just thinking, like they've they've seen things I can't even imagine, you know, And this this particular whale is going to see things just in the months ahead that that I can scarcely imagine.
Speaker 2: So I'm very us of this experience, and I would love to see gray whales up close one day too. But I have seen plenty of video footage, and at least from what I've seen, several things stand out. One that they kind of I don't know if this makes any sense, but they look more like rocks than any other type of whale I can think of having seen, and that may be aided by the many barnacles attached to the outside of them, which is we'll talk about later on, are very characteristic of the species of whale, having a lot of barnacle loading on the outside, But in looking at them, they can look very much like a large gray boulder covered in lichen, almost where the barnacles are kind of like the lichen patches, or at least it seemed that way to me. And then the other thing being that their nostrils look more typically mammalian rather than the blowhole that you would see on the back of a lot of whales, where you might perceive at least as a single blowhole. Uh, the gray whale nostrils I recall seeing are very distinctly separate nostrils. They kind of flare more like a dog's nostrils might.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, this this is not your your cartoon whale. Uh yeah. You have those those very nostril like blowholes on top of the head. And you if you're if you're out on one of these lagoons, you see see them a lot. In fact, a lot of people end up getting spra You're constantly misted by the spray from them, even if they're not super close to the boats. Uh, just because you know they're they're just coming up. They're they're blowing that blowhole. There's this mist in the air of water, and also I guess probably some some whale snut in there as well. But they do have to your point, they do have this kind of rocky appearance. Part of it's the barnacle load, but also that their their their skin is very modeled and and scarred and and it it could look like it is it is stone. When if you do touch it, I thought that it felt more or less like a big egg plant. That's the kind of feeling I had from it, Like there's a little like there's a softness to it, but there is also you know, it's like a that's kind of wet suit feeling as well. Another thing about their skin is I and we'll come back to this, but I was surprised by their whiskers. We've talked on the show before about the evolution of whales and the loss of body hair, so I wasn't prepared for the whiskers. Somehow I missed this leading up to this whale experience, but they have quite a few whiskers. The other thing that I was surprised about because on some level I was prepared for this gentleness, so I was prepared for this curiosity. I knew what I was getting into with that. But also you would see them moving underneath the water, and these are big animals. There were talking fourteen point nine meters or forty nine feet in length, weights of up to forty one tons or so. So these are like school bus sized organisms, and they're often very curious and gentle next to the boat, but they can move with such speed and strength, and you see that occasionally, especially when they're engaging in mating behavior further away from the boats. They'll they'll surge underneath the water and you're reminded just how powerful and how potentially destructive these creatures are if they had if they had reason to be destructive towards you.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny. This reminds me of all these passages in Moby Dick describing whales. We know now from plenty of examples like this. Just like as a matter of habit do not seem to attack humans or do anything very aggressive, at least not most of the time, but described in these older documents with absolute horror, just like these whales are monsters. They are killers. They will crush you, they will swallow you whole.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And in fact I ran across this wonderful description. This is This is from a paper in The American Naturalist from eighteen eighty eight by J. D. Catton, titled the California gray Whale. The author writes, quote, of all the known species of whales, this is the most cunning, courageous, and vicious. So terrible is it that, with the old implements of harpoon and lance, but few whalemen would court an encounter with it, and it early received the name of the devilfish. I have no account that it ever maliciously attacked an unoffending object, yet when it found itself pursued where escape was difficult, even before it was struck, it has been known to turn upon pursuers and dash a boat to fragments with a single blow of its powerful flukes. And so has many a life been lost?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, at least this source acknowledges that this kind of behavior would be like in response to extreme distress, like when the whale is being attacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he is acknowledging that this is aggression that's coming out of obvious whaling scenario. And you know, the sad fact is, and we've touched on this in the show before, you can't you can't remove whaling from our understanding of these creatures. I mean, the history is intertwined there with our understanding of the organism, and so we have various things where the name comes from whaler observations, like, for instance, whale lice, which we'll discuss. They're not actually lies, but whalers compare them to lies, and that's where the name comes from.
Speaker 2: I do believe grey whales specifically are thought to have once been much more abundant, right, but that whaling in particular reduced their populations to present levels where there's a sustainable number of grey whales in the population on the western coast of the American continent, but the population that lives on the other side of the Pacific, on the eastern coast of the Asian mainland is much more reduced, but in both cases reduced by whaling.
Speaker 1: And then there was once a North Atlantic grey whale population. These were thought to have fed around Newfoundland, the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, Iceland, and Europe's North Sea and for their winter breeding lagoons or refuges. It's thought that they might have visited the coasts of Georgia and the Carolinas here in the States, as well as uncertain spots along the coast of Spain, Portugal, and Morocco. But this population was essentially extinct by the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, do at least in part to whaling. Interestingly enough, there have been proposals to try and introduce reintroduce the North Pacific gray whale into this region to restore the population. And I've also seen speculations about what might occur in the future due to climate change, that as we have less sea ice, it might enable the gray whales on their own to recolonize this part of the ocean.
Speaker 2: I guess it would be very difficult and expensive to try to force a recolonization by human intervention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean nothing else. We're talking about enormous creatures and how are you going to get them there? I didn't look super hard at the proposals. They may have a very straightforward solution to this. I'm not sure if they would be airlifting them or shipping them across land or exactly what the scenario is, but it has not become an actionable thing at least yet. Well, let's talk a little bit more about the physical characteristics of the gray whale here. Because I guess we are an audio program. You can certainly look up lots of great images and footage and illustrations. One of the books that was one of my prime sources here as a book by Mark Carwoodine The Handbook of Wales, Dolphins and Porpoises of the World. Highly recommend this book for anyone out there who's into Wales, dolphins and porposes. Fabulous illustrations and some great photographs and just lots of wonderful information that you know can aid you just sort of in general general interest in these organisms, or if you're into citing them and has you know how to pick out these various creatures by their markings, by their spouts, by their flukes, that sort of thing. So that's going to be one of the books I'm going to keep referring back to, for sure. But getting back to what we were talking about earlier. Yes, these are whales. These are large creatures, large whales by some rakings, I think they're only the eighth largest whale species. But considering that number one, the blue whale, is the largest animal that's ever lived, there's not really no shame in coming at number eight. Gray whale can reach forty nine feet in length. That's the fourteen point nine meters way about forty tons. The females are larger than the males, and even the newborns are approximately fourteen to sixteen feet long. It's roughly four point two to four point eight meters and weigh around two thousand pounds or around nine hundred and seven kilogram. So we're talking about big reachers here. Cannot stress that.
Speaker 2: Enough, And I guess it's helpful that the newborn calves are already big, because it's when a whale is young that it's most susceptible to predators, like the predation on adult gray whales, from what I understand, is pretty rare, whereas attempts by animals such as orches to prey on the calves is pretty common.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because a healthy adult whale is a healthy adult gray whale is a formidable opponent unless conditions are just right. And then of course the young are going to be the primary focal point of predators. Okay, so we've established their big we should also come back to the fact that, yes, they are more or less gray in color.
Speaker 2: Often look like just a big old slab of granite, kind of like an obelisk in the water.
Speaker 1: Yes. Now, one initial question that came up for me, of course, especially as we were dealing in our notes here, was is it gray g R E y or is it g R A y.
Speaker 2: I generally assume those spellings are interchangeable. It's like American English or British English.
Speaker 1: That's how I, yeah read it. Yeah, and that's one of the main distinctions. Mark Cardawine in his book stresses that either is correct. You know, obviously g R E Y is more common in British English, and g R a y is more common in American English, and generally we're referring to what is perceived to be the color of the creature, though much of its gray appearance is due to those accumulated barnacles, skin lesions scarring their actual skin, though is still often described as light to dark gray, or maybe a gray brown. However, it's also acceptable to consider that we dub them gray whales in reference to British zoologist John Edward gray Gry who lived eighteen one hundred through eighteen seventy five, who placed the whale in its own genus in eighteen sixty four. On top of that, its scientific name is as Richtius robustus, referring to nineteenth century Danish zoologist Frederick Eschricht who lived seventeen ninety eight through eighteen sixty three.
Speaker 2: So it could have been the esh Richt whale. We're glad that it's the grey whale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it rolls off the tongue for us at any rate a little easier. It's been known by other names, of course, the gray back, the muscle digger, the mud digger, the scrag whale, ripsack hard head, and of course by American whalers, the devilfish that was.
Speaker 2: The one referenced in that they quote from the article in the American Naturalists from the nineteenth century.
Speaker 1: Correct. Yes, now there are no recognized forms or subspecies, though there are two possible sub populations according to Carwoodine, so we have the eastern North Pacific and the western North Pacific grey whale. But there also seems to be some cross breeding between these two populations in the Mexican lagoons. Now again you can put all of your sort of cartoon whale appearances to the side, because the reality is somewhat different, not only with the blowholes, but for starters, we should point out that this is a bleen whale, not a toothed whale. Baleen whales were once toothed whales earlier on in their evolution, and we do have fossil evidence of whales with both teeth and bleen, but they have adapted. The gray whales have adapted to thrive as pure filter feeders.
Speaker 2: So the balene is a bristly material that lives inside the whale's mouth which they use to filter feed by. Well, there are various different ways that different species do it, but by forcing water through these sort of sieves, natural biological sieves, the baileen hairs, which capture the plankton or the krill, or the small bits of organic matter that the whales live on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and it's like these keratin balen plates. And this is something I hadn't given a lot of thought to before. But there are different strategies to use with your bayleen. There are two main strategies. Two of the main strategies anywhere are gulping and straining, both carried out near the water's surface by different species of whales. Baileen whales, like right whales, will swim through clouds of krill open mouth, skimming them from the water. Meanwhile, fin whales gulp up water full of fish and or krill and then push the water out as if through a sieve. But the gray whales are different. They're the only modern balen whale that dives down deep, and I mean this is deep relative to the waters they inhabit. These are not deep water whales. They're not like sperm whales. They tend to stick to coastal regions in the continental shelf, but they'll go down deep for these regions, and they'll feed as bottom feeders. They'll turn on one side, and interestingly they are there is like a right handedness to the gray whales. Most whales seem to favor their right side, but some do left instead, and they'll vacuum the water up, vacuum up water, mud, sand, and most importantly various organisms there in the muck. And then they'll use their tongue to push out the mud, sand and water.
Speaker 2: But retain all these little organisms and things they can digest in their billien.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's interesting apparently you can tell which side a particular grey whale favors because the side it favors is generally more scraped up and debarnicled, because that's the side that goes down in plows into the ocean floor. And also there bayleen plates are shorter than in other extant whales. So these other bayleen whales that use different feeding techniques, I think they tend to have longer baileen for straining out the things that they need to eat. Now, as for what they're eating out of the muck, Carbeting points out that a good eighty species of fish and invertebrates have been identified as gray whale prey. However, most of the prey that they consume consists of benthic and planktonic organisms. Planktonic meaning, of course, plankton and benthic organisms being various isopods that live abundantly in the sand. Apparently benthic amphipods make up a good ninety percent of their diet. But they're they're reasonably opportunistic and may also be shifting their foraging habits in Arctic waters due to climate change. So basically, my understanding based on the reading here is like they're going down to the mud and the muck and the sand to get most of their food, but if they happen to encounter some sort of plankton on the way up, you know they're going to breathe it in. They're going to go ahead and take that in as well. They're typically diving down thirty to sixty meters, but they may go up to one hundred and twenty or even one hundred and seventy, and again, opportunistic feeding may happen at any depth, but the seabed is their main target now. The summer is their prime feeding period, and of course they're large whales they're eating large meals. They'll eat anywhere from like one to one point three tons of the stuff per day, and the remainder of the year entails a lot of fasting, including their migrations too, and from these calving and mating lagoons.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they typically are going to be stocking up on food. They're eating, they're banging their heads into the sediment up in the Arctic waters, and then they migrate down south for calving and rearing young.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and yeah, so you might think of them as just this kind of enormous freight train of a creature that sucks up mud and anything in the mud and the sand from the waters that they inhabit and just eat all summer long and then go south through the winter.
Speaker 2: Kind of the catfish of whales.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are. I thought about this as well. Yeah, they're kind of because the catfish for the bottom feeders I grew up around and grew period about, and so yeah, they're kind of using the catfish strategy, but on an epic scale.
Speaker 2: But don't try to go noodling for gray whales.
Speaker 1: No, No, that doesn't sound like a good idea now, oncemall note I think I did read that there are some accepts. There seems to be some evidence that there are some whales that stay north through an extended period of time, but in general we see this migration occurring. Other important physical notes, just to describe them, they have slender and small heads even in relation to their body size, certainly when you compare them to famously big headed whales like the sperm whale, a toothed whale. They have a stocky body with a hump two thirds of the way down their back, along with eight to fourteen quote unquote knuckles. Further down. They don't have a dorsal fin. They just have a small hump. And like I mentioned earlier, they have whiskers, and apparently they have more whiskers than any other whale. I was not prepared for this, but the whiskers are very prominent, and I was reading about this on the NOAA website and they point out that these are more or less like the whiskers you'd encounter on any mammal. They are tactile sensors. Now, Carboning notes that in the older whales, though many of these whiskers are quote unquote obliterated by scarring and barnacles.
Speaker 2: However, oh, if the barnacles are in some cases obliterating their sensory organs, I feel like that offers some input on question we're going to address in a minute, which is about these barnacles. Now, we mentioned them earlier, but they're a very clear feature that people notice when they look at gray whales. It looks horrible. Some people think, you know, they look at this and they're like, oh my god, these poor whales. This must be a purely parasitic infestation where the whale is dying because of all these barnacles on it. I think it's more of an open question exactly what the symbiotic relationship between the whales and their barnacles is. Is it parasitism, is it mutualism? Is it a commensalism? Commensalism where the barnacle would get a benefit, but it just doesn't really matter to the whale. We're gonna address that in a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I know some of you might be thinking like, I just want to hear about the grey whales. I don't want to hear about the barnacles. I don't want to hear about the orca. But but here's the thing. You can't talk about the gray whale without talking about the orca, which we'll probably get into more in the second episode. And you can't talk about them without talking about their barnacles because they're just so so much a part of who they are and when what they look like. Now there again, there may be, like you said, there may be a little more nuance to exactly what the relationship might be between the barnacles and the whale lice and the whales, but for the most part, they're often referred to as exo parasites, so we're gonna probably keep using that term, even if we're going to, you know, put an asterisk by it and come back to it. They do have quite an exo parasite load, and newborns are born without any barnacles, without any lice. They're an almost uniform dark gray, almost black color, so aside from being smaller, you can definitely identify them in the water based on their coloration. But they swiftly obtain these parasites as well. In addition to of course scarring from not only the parasites but also from threats and feeding. It gives them a very highly variable appearance, and by feeding I mean their own feeding, going down and scraping themselves against the bottom of the sea floor. Before we get into the barnacle, though, I want to talk just a little bit about the whale lice, because this is all part of the exoparasite load, which, according to to Carwodine, adult gray whales carry more exo parasites than any other whale species on average, more than one hundred and eighty kilograms or three hundred and ninety six pounds of the stuff.
Speaker 2: So they got a lot living on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I didn't do a breakdown of like how that would that sort of pair site load would be like for the human body. But I think a lot of our repulsion to barnacles and these rather large whale life is that we think about our cells, we think about our pets, and if those were on us, obviously we would want them removed pronto.
Speaker 2: Hold on, rob, I just tried to do the math on the loading of the barnacles and whale license stuff by weight. So if we're saying that adult gray whales can grow up to about forty tons, which is eighty thousand pounds, and then you compare that to you said they could have up to what like almost four hundred pounds of loading of bartaicles and stuff. That is about half a percent of the body weight. So if you translate that to a human I don't know human, somebody weighs one hundred and fifty pounds, what's half of one percent of that body weight on the outside of them? Oh, I don't know. It is having like, you know, three quarters of a pound of parasites on the outside view that bad.
Speaker 1: I don't know how many barnacles would that be. I don't know. Let's say it's one barnacle which you put up with.
Speaker 2: That's way more than one barnacle's that's a number of barnacles.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm being generous here, let's go ahead and pay it down to just one, maybe two barnacles. I feel like that would still feel like one or two barnacles too many for us. But then again, we don't live in the ocean. We don't have barnacles, so it's not appropriate for us to really make judgment calls like this.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, apologies for the rough math. I may have screwed something up there, but I tried.
Speaker 1: Now I think you captured the general feel of it, because again, we have to think about just how big these creatures are. And as we're probably get to do, the barnacles are not covering them head to toe. It's not like a suit of barnacles. They tend to be clusters in certain places like top of the head, right behind the head and other places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they got patches, little colonies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. They have to keep a low profile to keep from being pulled off by the water. Though again they'll they'll often scrape against things, and I'm off the top of my head, I'm not sure if they're necessarily scratching to remove themselves, remove the barnacles from their body, or if they're dealing with like general skin discomfort or it has to do with the lice, et cetera. But they end up scraping off the barnacles. Anyway, the one whale that we saw scraping against the bottom of the boat, there would be this colossal scraping sound and then like a cloud of pieces of barnacle, and like I guess, maybe some dried skin and probably some loose whale lice would come floating up through the water.
Speaker 2: That is gross. But to remind again you said earlier, I think you said that the lice on these whale are not actually lice in the sense that we usually mean, like the parasitic insects that can be found on land mammals.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, we call them lies because whalers saw them on the bodies of the whales they were slaughtering, and they just made the you know, I guess a natural comparison to be made to lice that occur on human bodies, and they're like, oh, well, those are whale lice, but they're not lice. There actually a type of crustacean that's related more to the skeleton shrimp, an organism we've talked about on the show before.
Speaker 2: So what are the so called lice doing on these whales?
Speaker 1: Okay, So, if you pick up Carbadine's book, and again I recommend it for whale fans out there, he has illustrations of all four species of whale lies that you'll find on the gray whale. Three of them are only found on gray whales, and then there's another variety that is found on grey whales and bowhead whales. But yeah, there are these. They get kind of big. They can be anywhere between three and thirty millimeters long. So at the largest a little over an inch. A lot of the photographs you see of the barnacles on the bodies of grey whales, you can also see the lice clustered around them. They have this kind of the kind of like these kind of ridges on their bodies, though they may not be moving during the footage, and they live in populations up to seventy five hundred on a single whale, and they generally live and die on the same whale, though there is some degree of transference that takes place when the whales are in close confines with each other. But they have no free swimming stage in their development, no stage in their development at which they're swimming free, and they're running across other whales. If they're gonna jump ship, they've got to like jump ship straight to another whale. Yeah, but all this, like the branding of whale lies, it just made me sort of automatically assume, well, they're drinking whale blood, clearly, that's what they're doing, but that's not what they're doing. Carbodin notes that they don't drink blood. They eat whale skin that's come off just you know, like old essentially like eating dry skin, except in the water. They're possibly eating a little bit of bacteria and algae as well, and they'll also eat damage tissue, so, Carbodine writes, quote, though usually considered parasites, they might be more accurately described as cleaning symbians.
Speaker 2: Also maybe providing a benefit to the whale.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Now it's still worth noting that if there is an excessively large population, that might be an indicator of poor health for an individual whale. But you know that's you know, obviously, if an organism is in poor health, a lot of things are going to be out of whack, including the amount of creatures living on its hide.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's true for organisms living on and in all kinds of other larger organisms. It's true for us, like our gut microbiome is useful to us. All of those bacteria in our guts are helpful. But if there something goes wrong with our immune system, they can turn opportunistic.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Now, coming back to the barnacles, Carbodine notes that quote. The barnacles are thought to be host specific to gray whales, though there are isolated examples on captive bottlenosed dolphins and beluga whales and one wild killer whale and their life cycle is synchronous with that of their hosts. And he knowes elsewhere that there are four species of whale acorn barnacles in general, in three genera, but we're talking about one particular species of acorn barnacle that is found on the skin of the gray whale, and that is Cryptolepis ratchionecti. Sorry barnacles if I butchered your scientific name a little bit there. Joe, you were kind enough to include a lot of close up images of ant of acorn barnacles in our notes here. Would you describe these for the listeners?
Speaker 2: Well, different barnacles have different outer appearances, and I guess this is because barnacles, much like coral, they are small marine invertebrates, but they are perhaps most visually notable for the external mineral structures that they build, and those ructures can sometimes be confused with the flesh of the animals themselves. But barnacles are actually crustaceans, so they are closely related to animals like shrimp and crabs. And when you've seen barnacles in the past, probably the main thing you've noticed are these external plates, which are made of calcium carbonate. They're made of the same material as eggshells or oyster shells or coral skeletons and so forth, and in barnacles, these calcium carbonate plates can have different appearances. Some kind of like flower buds made out of stone, or some look like cement pumpkins. Some look like tiny volcano calderas. If you zoom way out, some of the colonies look as I mentioned earlier, kind of like you know, groupings of lichen on a piece of granite. But if you zoom in and you see the shapes and you see the kind of holes at the top of each barnacle, they also kind of resemble the photos that people freak out about online. And I'm never sure how much of this freak out is kind of performative ironic thing, but about like trip to phobia images, you know, the lotus pod thing. I don't share this reaction, but while reading about barnacles, I came to glean that some people are deeply viscerally repulsed by the appearance of them. And I didn't even know if I was gonna mention this, but I was seeing a couple of cases where there'd be like an article on the internet about barnacles or that featured pictures of barnacles. Then you scroll down you look at the comments, and some people are reacting not just with disgust, I mean, there is plenty of that, but with like moral outrage at the author for posting these pictures, like you did something bad by showing me barnacles. I don't quite get that, but I think it may overlap with the triptophobia thing, which, as I said a minute ago, I still am not sure how much of that is kind of like the creepy clown thing, like like I fear that people are playing up on purpose to be funny, or how much like their moral rage is just like a genuine emotional overload reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure either, but I will say that, you know, with the particularly with the acorn barnacles here, they look a lot to me like the eye of sauron. They have that kind of appearance, so there's something a little unnerving about them. Also, I think it's one thing to see barnacles like this on say the hull of a ship, or you know, barnacles of another variety, but when they're on a living organism, I think maybe there's sometimes sort of category confusion going on, and particularly with these sort of round aperture appearing barnacles. I think our minds instantly go to poor anomalies. We think of like clogged pores, we think of pimples, we think of various openings that may occur in diseased flesh, and that's maybe where our mind goes, like, that's the nearest analogy that we have as surface dwellers and uh, and so we we think about all that when we see barnacles on, say a whale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can understand that, and I certainly share that I react differently when I see them on an animal versus on just you know, growing on the you know, the the piling that a peer is resting on or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like you know, seeing the whales in the wild and seeing them close up, like they're close enough where you could you could touch the barnacles if you wanted to. I did not, and I only only touched the whale once. I'm like that's good enough. I only need to make physical contact with the gray whale once. I'm good. But you know, there is this kind of like feeling that that that you end up having. It's like should I help? Should I scrape. You know, not that you would, but you know you want to sort of help the creature. Again. You think of it almost like a dog, Whereas if your dog came up and your dog had some sort of always the seed pods or something stuck in its fur, like, you'd want to help it out. If your cat has a has something stuck in its fur, you're going to reach in there and and pull it out and get bitten as a thank you. But the whales, they're not asking for this treatment.
Speaker 2: Well, and as I'll get to in a minute, I think there's more ambiguity than we met realizing about exactly what the pluses and minuses of this relationship are, but a little a little more about barnacles themselves. So the life cycle of a barnacle goes like this. It begins as a microscopic larva that looks kind of like a cross between a flea and a shrimp. And in this larval stage, after being released by the parent, the barnacle swims around freely in the water column. So it begins life as a free swimming organism. It's just one of the trillions of zoa plankton bobbing around out there in the ocean, and as a larva, the barnacle's primary mission is to find a home. It's looking for real estate it can stake out where it will spend the rest of its life. It does this by exploring various surfaces and testing the properties of these surfaces. A lot of species are attracted to chemicals secreted by adult barnacles that let them know they have encountered a good place to swarm and congregate. And when the larva finds a surface it approves of, it proceeds to glue its head down permanently. So the barnacle secretes a form of quick drying adhesive from its antennae, and it cements itself and this is again head down to the place where it will spend the rest of its life. Apparently, barnacle cement is one of the strongest, if not the single strongest adhesive substance known in nature, so much that scientists have studied it in hopes of developing better synthetic glues for use in medicine and microelectronics, especially in conditions where you need to glue things together that are already wet. That's kind of interesting property, as like, so you're already under the water, both surfaces are wet, so how exactly do you glue this together effectively?
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Once a barnacle is fixed to whatever surface it has chosen, it begins building its calcium carbonate outer plates, and it begins eating and growing. And the barnacles shell on the outside typically consists of plates that surround the animal on all sides to form a kind of cone, and then usually a few more plates on top that form a sort of door that the barnacle can close when it's threatened or closed to conserve moisture, say, if it's in an intertidal area, when the tide goes out, the barnacles exposed to the air can close up its door to keep some liquid inside, and then of course it can open them again when it is time to feed. Barnacles are filter feeders, much like bilein whales, but while whales feed by pushing water through their bleen, barnacles feed by waving their feet around in the water. Barnacles have these little legs called seeri, which are segmented like the pindages of other crustaceans, but covered in long little filaments, so they look like a cross between curly shrimp legs and peacock feathers. Rob I've attached some pictures for you to look at while I'm describing here. So they often get they'll kind of like fan these out, and they do really kind of look like a fan a bunch of these legs arranged in parallel with these little feathery kind of hairs coming off of them, and they essentially function like fishing nets. The barnacles wave these cirii through the water, collecting plankton and organic detritus and then drawing them into the shell to bring the food to their mouths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this image is very delightful, and I guess it's harder to hate on barnacles as much if you think of them as like tiny old people who set down forever on you know, say the deck of a cruise ship, gluw their butts down and then begin to wave their fancily dressed legs in the air.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right. It wouldn't be gluing their butts, it would be gluing their foreheads down. So you would have to imagine the human analogy is if you live by gluing your forehead to a rock and then surrounding yourself with external bone places like you grow some bones on the outside. They're bones that live outside. You surround yourself with that. Then you wave your feet around in the air until you catch i don't know, something dead with your toes and your leg hairs, and then you bring that down to your mouth.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that sounds a little more monstrous again, we're skewing monstrous again. But it's still delightful.
Speaker 2: Another really amazing thing about barnacles is their sexual reproduction. Barnacles, typically in the same individual, have both male and female sex organs, but they can't reproduce asexually. They don't bud like some other sessile organisms. They have to find a partner to mate with. But they're barnacles. They are stuck to one place, remember, glued the forehead down, so they can't go wandering around to locate a mate. Other sessile organisms deal with the fact that they are immobile by simply kind of spamming the water with sperm and eggs and hoping to you, hoping that those sex cells meet up with opposite sex cels somewhere out there. This is known as broadcast spawning. I've read it alleged in many sources that barnacles never do this. They don't do exactly that with both sex cells, but it does seem some barnacles engage in sperm casting, or at least the sperm but not the eggs, are released into open water just in hopes that it will drift to an individual with an egg cell. This is according to one paper I found by Marian barizandai at All called Something Darwin Didn't Know About Barnacles Sperm cast Mating in a common stalked Species, published Proceedings of the Royal Society b Biological Sciences in twenty thirteen. This experiment found that Pacific intertitle Gooseneck barnacles do sometimes fertilize eggs by sperm casting. But this result was surprising, and the very reason it was surprising was that for the most part, barnacles have a different strategy. They actually physically copulate, or as the scientists call it, pseudo copulate, in order to exchange sperm, which means they have to find a mate by reaching. So for this reason, it has been suggested that barnacles probably have the longest penis to body size ratio of any animal on Earth, with penises measuring more than the rest of the total length of the body many times over. I've read different estimates for this. Exactly how much longer it is seems unclear, but a commonly cided figure is eight times body length. And these are used kind of how you might imagine. They sense around. They feel around at their neighbors to find neighbor to pseudocopulate with, and barnacles can act either as males or females for the purposes of mating, so they all possess these penises, and they are fascinating and remarkably adaptable organs depending on environmental conditions, so like one factor is the choppiness of the water around them, so they will grow longer in calmer waters, but shorter and thicker and choppy turbulent waters, because as you can imagine, long thin appendages are more difficult to control when the water is moving around a lot. But these the properties of this organ also depend on the density of barnacle population. So when neighbors are nearby, they don't need to reach as far, so they will be shorter and less elastic, But when neighbors are sparse, when the population is less dense, they grow very long and elastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember a friend of the show, Mara Hart, in her book Sex and the Sea as the whole section talking about barnacles and their reproductive strategies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember Mare having a lot barnacle penis is officially amazing, but anyway, so as filter feeders, barnacles usually attach themselves to stationary objects in places with a lot of activity, whether that's a rock or part of a human built structure or something else. They will attach themselves to a place where there's a lot of exchange of water back and forth. Because again they can't go out hunting. They need water containing their food to wash over them. So it's no good for a barnacle to sit around in calm, still waters. They want flow in exchange.
Speaker 1: Location, location, location, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want foot traffic. Oftentimes this means posting up in the intertidal zone where the tides are going to charge in and then drain out throughout the day. But if you're a really lucky barnicle, you could manage to attach yourself to a rock that moves, a rock that travels along its own course, causing water full of plankton and other goods these to wash over you. Constantly, and for this reason you will see barnacles do well by attaching themselves to the hulls of ships. This is a common problem in shipping. But for millions of years, before there were ships, there were whales, giant boulders that swim, and.
Speaker 1: Of course before whales, there were sea turtles. And I believe I was reading that whale barnacles derived from sea turtle barnacles.
Speaker 2: That's right. It is thought that whale barnacles evolved from what are called turtle barnacles, which don't just occupy turtles. They found them the shells of sea turtles, but also other things like the carapaces of crabs, and on some sirenians like manatees and so forth.
Speaker 1: But you can imagine the why this diversification takes place when whales become a possibility. Oh, these vast expanses of hide to colonize.
Speaker 2: So many whales, especially filter feeding whales, are known to accumulate barnacles, but gray whales really excel as barnacle hosts. In tons of pictures of these animals, again, they just you know, you will see them covered in patches of these things. There is one species of acorn barnacle you mentioned them earlier, called Cryptolipus rachianecti. These have been allegedly living off of gray whales in particular for millions of years. But looking at whale barnacles in general, I wanted to return to this question of what is the exact symbiotic relationship between whales and their barnacles. Are the barnacles actual parasites causing net harm to their hosts, or is the relationship an example of what biologists would call commensalism where the host is not really impacted one way or the other, but the barnacle gets a benefit. Or is it possible there are mutualistic benefits. Do both the whale and the barnacle get something good out of the relationship. It seems like for a long time experts thought that whales in their barnacles were generally an example of a commensal relationship. So the barnacles get a benefit, get the benefit of a moving substrate to bring them a steady flow of plankton, as well as getting general protection from predators. And you can see this reduced risk of predation when attached to a whale body in the fact that whale barnacles in particular, have evolved to possess a less defensively oriented outer plate structure they usually have rob If you compare pictures of different kind of barnacles, it seems like whale barnacles often just have more kind of fleshy bits poking out of their shells at all times. They don't close their plate doors completely or as completely, so they just seem like they have to be less focused on defense than some of the barnacles are.
Speaker 1: This probably also contributes to the disturbing quality to some to seeing barnacles on whales, because yeah, it's more obviously some sort of creature living on the the whales high and you can't just dismiss it as think some sort of stone like detritus that's built up there.
Speaker 2: Right, So what's undeniable is that the barnacles get a benefit from the relationship. But is it true that the relationship is basically nothing to the whale, neither helpful nor harmful. Well, this seems very debatable. For one thing, having barnacles on the skin would quite clearly reduce the hydrodynamic efficiency of the whale's movement. As a point of analogy, this is not a perfect analogy. But I was reading from the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation about the effect of barnacles on ships built by humans, and they write, quote, the US Navy estimates that heavy barnacle growth on ships can add weight and increase drag by nearly sixty percent, which can lead to as much as a forty percent increase in fuel consumption. Now, obviously those figures don't map exactly onto an organism like a whale, but the principle holds true. It seems clear that barnacles would make a way a less efficient swimmer, even if only by a marginal percent. Also, the fact that whales have been observed to engage in behavior that looks like an attempt to remove barnacles would probably also mean that they are at least somewhat perceived as a nuisance by the whale, at least assuming those interpretations of that behavior is correct. Now, Rob, I can't remember if you mentioned it earlier, but you had said something to me about observations of whales appearing to want to scrape barnacles off their body, maybe by rubbing up against things. And maybe we don't understand exactly what the purpose of that behavior is, but it's been interpreted as an attempt to remove barnacles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's my understanding. And they'll do this not only in the bottoms of boats and ships, but they'll do this on rocks in the sand, and also just through the act of feeding, because again, these are bottom feeders who scrape half of their body against the bottom of the sea. But yeah, I guess the thing we have to keep in mind is that it's not just the barnacles on the body, they are also the sea lies they're scarring. There's reason to believe that. I guess a whale could itch for other reasons, or have some sort of skin irritation for other reasons, and it might be pleasurable for other reasons for it to scrape its body against something, even if that scraping does in effect remove barnacles from its skin.
Speaker 2: Yes, so there are several ways where you might be able to interpret barnacles as parasites as causing net harm to the whales. However, I came across another idea that I thought was very interesting. Again, this is not certain, it's debatable, but some researchers have speculated there could be cases where whale barnacles are actually providing a benefit to the whale. Now what could that be? It's hard to imagine by looking at it. But what has been proposed is that barnacles may serve as a form of armor or as a weapon in some cases. Now, what would the evidence for this idea? Well, I was looking at a paper by John K. B Ford and Randall R. Reeves published in The Mammal Review in two thousand and eight called fight or Flight Anti predator strategies of billen whales. Now, something we've already alluded to and we're going to talk about more extensively in the next episode is orca predation on gray whales in particular. But orcas, also known as killer whales, are major predators to a number of mistacetti or billen whale species, and the authors of this paper argue that understanding the role of orcas as predators has been hampered by poor understanding of the different predator prey dynamics quote, including the relative vulnerability of different misseddeceit species and age classes to killer whales and how those prey animals avoid predation. So, what are the different patterns of behavior that different prey species of whales resort to when an orca starts threat them, or when a pod of orcas threatens them. The authors argue there are two main classes of behavioral response, and those are fight or flight. The flight strategy is fairly simple. When you spot kular whales, you get out of there. The authors describe the strategy as rapid monodirectional swimming away from the orcas at a pace of between twenty and forty kilometers an hour, a speed that the orcas cannot generally keep up with or will not keep up with usually, and this behavior has been observed in six species of the genus Baleinoptera, which contains animals like the mink, fin and blue whales. On the other hand, many different species exhibit what the authors call the fight strategy, which quote consists of active physical defense, including self defense by single individuals, defense of calves by their mothers, and coordinated defense by groups of whales. It's documented for five mystic seats, and they list the Southern right whale, the North Atlantic right whale, the bowhead whale, the humpback whale, and the gray whale. The authors argue that these strategies are not incidental, they are selected by evolution for each species to maximize survival odds based on the whale's other physical characteristics. Species that engage in the flight strategy have streamlined bodies that are capable of fast, sustained endurance swimming. They also quote tend to favor pelagic habitats, which that means open sea, deep water and calving grounds where prolonged escape sprints from killer whales are possible. Meanwhile, they say that whales that engage in fight strategies tend to have more robust body shapes, and they tend to be slower swimmers, but they're also usually maneuverable swimmers, so they they might not be able to do monodirection, you know, swimming in one direction really fast for a long time, but they can kind of move around quickly within a small space if they need to, say, reposition their bodies or deliver a blow. These species also quote often calve or migrating coastal areas where proximity to shallow water provides refuge and an advantage in defense. Most fight species have either callosities, which are rough and hardened patches of skin, or incrustations of barnacles on their bodies, which may serve either primarily or secondarily as weapons or armor for defense. So I think that's a really interesting inference here. Specifically, whales that are more likely to fight predators rather than run from them also happen to be the ones that are more likely to have either callosities, these raised calloused patches of skin, or colonies of barnacles on their skin, which, of course, you know, a colony of barnacles, you do not want to bite into that or get slapped with it. And the authors right that humpback whales are believed to make use of these barnacle encrusted patches as weapons during fights between males at breeding grounds. They say, you know, there are many different kind of moves that humpback whales will do against each other when they're displaying aggressive behaviors to other males. They will do headbutting and ramming of each other, striking blows, and they will hit each other with long flippers and tail flukes. And the authors point out that these parts of the body where they will hit each other are also parts of the body areas where there are large encrustations of barnacles usually found. They say, quote a blow from a barnacle encrusted surface would likely have enhanced effectiveness in aggressive physical interactions, and from this they go on to argue that these same types of attacks are probably used by humpback whales against predatory orcas, and the barnacles probably provide an advantage in the same way. Now, the same is maybe not exactly true of gray whales, because they say gray whales don't fight quite as much. They don't show examples of intraspecific aggression associated with male competition like the humpback whales do, so the males are less often fighting each other like humpback whales. But they say that barnacles on the skin of gray whales could still help protect the whales as basically a type of defensive armor. So if an orca tries to ram the body of a gray whale and it's got an incrustation of barnacles on it, or they try to bite the gray whale and they bite them on an incrustation of barnacles, that seems much more likely to harm the attacking animal.
Speaker 1: This is fascinating. So on one level, yes, the mating of the grey whales, we'll probably get into that more in the next episode. But yeah, there definitely is more of a sort of a free love kind of a vibe going on among the gray whales. So the males are not necessarily competing with each other, it seems now. But on the same level, I mean, the whales are going to come into contact with each other and the barnacles to do scar other whales sort of at least incidentally, this was pointed out to us in Mexico by one of the local guides on the boats. Of course, they're covered in scars from various things, everything from orca attacks two barnacles scraping them via contact with other whales. And yeah, this is an interesting idea though, because on one level, a really good blow from a fluke or a flipper from a gray whale I've read it is enough certainly to kill a man, but also could potentially kill an orca in one blow as well. But I guess you're not necessarily going to get that killer blow every time. Sometimes you're just going to maybe make a lighter contact or a near my yes, and you can imagine those scenarios would be enhanced by some sort of barnacle encrusting possibly.
Speaker 2: Now to come back on that, you could imagine other reasonings as well that there might be this correlation where species that are more likely to stand and fight when attacked by orcos rather than run away, are also the ones more likely to be encrusted with barnacles. Maybe there is a common cause, like barnacles don't actually make useful armor or make useful weapons, but the slow swimming that makes a gray whale have to rely on fighting rather than rapid escape also makes it more susceptible to barnacle infestation. That kind of thing could be possible, But I think it's an interesting correlation, and it makes you wonder how you would test that further, Like could you compare different individual whales of the same species and look at maybe how much barnacle loading they have and then observe their relative success. It's a protecting calves from orcapods. Do mothers with more barnacles win more fights againsts and so forth?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's also worth noting in all of this that the young gray whales again have no barnacles. They're born without barnacles. They will accumulate barnacles, but it takes a little time for the hard barnacles to actually build up, so especially during the period when they're leaving those sheltered lagoons. This is when they are at their most vulnerable for a number of reasons.
Speaker 2: However, it's another thing the authors point out that I think is worth remembering is that whales, including gray whales, are not orcas only prey, and they are an especially dangerous and costly type of prey for the orcas to pursue. The author's right quote, the rarity of observed successful attacks by killer whales on bileen whales, especially adults, maybe an indication of the effectiveness of these anti predator strategies. Bileene whales likely offer low profitability to killer whales relative to some other marine mammal prey. High speed pursuit of flight species has a high energetic cost and the low probability of success, while attacks on fight species can involve prolonged handling times and a risk of serious injury. So the balen whales here are not helpless against these orcas like they put up a real fight. And if the orcas are going to eat a whale calf like the they will make them work for it.
Speaker 1: So of course, yeah, they will work for it. They are hard workers the orca, but as is often the case. We've discussed this with various predator prayer relationships, Like it's every little bit of deterrent that adds up to survival, Like anything that makes you a slightly more difficult meal, then you increase the odds that the predators will realize that this is not worth it. Yeah, and we will get into this in the next episode. But I mean, that's one of the reasons the lagoons are safe harbors, is that is that that they have found a place to go that do not favor the old Orcus and the Orca's intelligent pack or pod hunters that they are. Uh, they will attack their most one of their most dangerous prey when they have the optimal advantage, when they have everything lining up for them. Uh, they're not gonna They're not gonna do it if they if they don't have a key advantage.
Speaker 2: So I guess more on that next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, before we close out, what do you what do you think about the barnacle armor slash weapon hypothesis. You think that's got anything going for it or not?
Speaker 1: I like it. I certainly buy that at least partial encrusting with barnacles would perhaps provide this incidental extra level of defense or offense. I just I'm not as sure how that maybe factors into like the grander like evolutionary scheme of things.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, and how it balances out against I guess negative impacts from say introducing drag and swimming and other.
Speaker 1: Things, yeah, or mating behavior and so forth. But I mean, they've they've been scraepy with barnacles for a long time, so they're accustomed to it. It is a part of who they are, which I think is one of the big take coms again for thinking about gray whales and their barnacles and their lice and their most notable predator, Like, these are creatures that are not only a part of their lives, but they have shaped the life of the grey whale. They've shaped what the gray whale is, and you can't remove them from the scenario. All right. Well, on that note, we're gonna go ahead and call it for this episode. We'll be back in the next core episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind to discuss gray whales in greater detail. We'll talk about there there were more about the relationship with the orcas. We'll talk about some of the variety of orcas as well. We'll kind of go on an Orco's tangent and then we'll get into more details about their migration and their reproduction. In the meantime, we'd love to hear from everyone out there. Do you have experience is with grey whales that you would like to share with us? Write in we'd love to hear them. Heck, if you have any experience with whales, If you've any whale watchers out there and you want to tell us about other species of whales that you're super into, let us know. I'm all revd up on whales and dolphins and porpoises right now, so I'm excited to see your photos and hear your stories. A reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays we do listener mail, On Wednesdays we do a short form artifact or monster fact, and on Fridays we do Weird House Cinema. That's our time to set aside most serious concerns and just talk about a weird film.
Speaker 2: Huge thanks to our audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback, on this episode or any other. To suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iheartradiovi's the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.