Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome back to the Hammer Territory Podcast, episode four three three. But it was Brad Roland coming to you on a Sunday evening, and I am joined by someone who is not Scott Coleman. In fact, I've smashed the upgrade button on this Sunday evening. Stephen Tolbert is here as Scott wanders the Midwest. Steven, what's up man? How are you?
Speaker 2: What's up, buddy? Yeah, Scott's in Chicago. I think I was in Chicago not too long ago. Scott had a fun weekend in Chicago. We had a kind of average weekend here watching Braze baseball. We're gonna talk about it all, of course, but it was nice to get a win today. Had they lost today, it's kind of, you know, very similar to how it's been, I think last weekend with the Yankees, Like, you know, winning on Sunday kind of salvage the series. So you know, it's it's been an up and down, but you know, when you have the lead the Braves have, they don't. We don't have to live and die on every game like some teams are having to do right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard you say that on a recent episode. And I not on my head along and I knew people would be mad at you for saying it, but it's also true. So with that said, Stephen, let us waste no time. Let us mix it up, engineered by our friends at fastenal.
Speaker 3: Steve.
Speaker 1: As you just laid out, it was kind of a weird weekend for the Braves. We'll talk about the losses on Friday and Saturday in a moment, but the Braves did avoid the sweep behind mostly a big swing from Matt Olsen on Sunday afternoon on a three to zero pitch to basically win the game. It didn't clitch the game officially, but that was the biggest swing. They did go only four and five in the last three series following that eight game winning streak ear this month. No reason to panic. They're not losing to terrible baseball teams, aside from the one Mets loss. Haha insert laughter here. But no, you know, I do think it's if we say it often on Sundays, it's kind of funny for our podcast schedule, but when on a Sunday it can help. I would say, ease a lot of worries going into the new week. But uh, you know, as always or maybe as usual, and I've seen your tweets about this too. It's like, Hey, Chris Sale, Matt Olsen are good, and mett Olsen happens to be the hero on this Sunday with just a by the way, a three to zero pitch, just an absolute mammoth blast. As I will say, his all he can do. That's not true, but he is on the short list of guys that I would like to see hitting a fastball down the middle on a three account.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I've said this a couple of times. People get mad when I say it for some reason, but like twenty twenty six really has been There's been other guys, but it has been like the Chris Sale Matt Olsen show in a lot of way. They've been the most consistent players on the team. I you know, you could probably throw Dylan Lee in there as well, but the only two players on the team that have have surpassed the four win mark for war Mark and you know, obviously Matt had a big swing today. You know, it's it's kind of a weird time of year for baseball because we're very much in the dog days of August. You know, football is starting back up. Everybody's doing their fantasy football drafts. Brad and I are both Falcons fans, which is is typically more of a threat than anything to be excited about. But you know, this is the time of the year where baseball kind of goes on autopilot a little bit, and especially when you have a team that's very comfortably in the playoffs. I checked this afternoon. The Braves playoff odds are at like ninety nine point eight percent or something like that. Division odds are at like ninety three percent, So you know, I know I saw some people freaking out this weekend because the Braids didn't play great baseball. We're gonna talk about the losses too, But I find myself in a little bit more of a you know, keep keep zoomed out, just big picture takes, you know. That was my first take on today's game, was like, man, Matt Elson and Chris Sale have just been unbelievable this year, and Maddilson won the game today. The offense hasn't looked great. That's fair. I'm fine with people saying that. I mean, if you look at their overall numbers, they're kind of down, like middle of the tier in terms of like the league. I think they're like fifteenth in WRC plus for the year. So, like, I understand people being a little concerned about that because it's been a weird year and if you kind of look at the team right now, especially with how Glacier says backed up, it's tough to find a part of the team that you would label elite right now, and that worries people, like they don't really know what to stand on, what to kind of hold on to as like, this is the thing we do great, this is the thing we do better than everybody else. And so I get like there's a little bit of consternation, especially when they don't play well. But I find myself in a little bit more of autopilot mode just as we get kind of through the dog days.
Speaker 3: I think that's right.
Speaker 1: And you know, I hadn't thought about that until we were talking about earlier, and I don't know the bullpen has had been the unit that you could say that about, right And I think the best version of the bullpen, which includes Robert Suarez hopefully and the Iglesias that's back to being Iglesias, probably has the clearest path to being elite, given the fact that Dylan Lee and did Frontids are still there. But you're right, there's not really a world in which rotation is elite at this point. It could be good. Chris Sale is good enough on his own to make it potentially good. In the lineup when it's right can be good as well, and we've seen that. But it's not like one particular area where they are dominant. And that's kind of hard to parse at times, even today, Like they didn't blow the doors off the Diamondbacks in this win on Sunday. It was basically the one swing from Olsen, a four hundred and thirty seven foot home run in a tie game in seventh inning, and that was enough. Bryce Elder did a good job today. His last start did not go well. It was reactions were everywhere about that particular outing. It was interesting today he naviget six innings, only allowing one run with five strikeouts on walk. Interestingly, his velocity was down like across the board, like a decent amount, like probably not like troubling him out, but like when I was like, oh, that's he's already not a he's not a hard thrower. So it isn't quite as evident just watching it when the velocity is down, but that was the numbers painted that pretty clear picture there. And apparently he has a knee issue, Like why simingly just drop that kind of out of nowhere in postgame today, and apparently it's been on an issue for a while. We don't know any more about that now as we're talking on Sunday evening, maybe that we'll get more information on that. But I think even then, like Bryce this is he's good for some of these starts, Like he can do this six innings, one run. I wouldn't project that from Bryce Eller, but he can do it. We've seen that. And then the bullpen was not particularly awesome today. Glacis wasn't dominant in the ninth inning. Diddy or Flint says, who is really really good? I think we agree on that allows a home run. That's gonna happen sometimes. But you know, there was a nice Ozzie defensive play to save a run. But it was like kind of this and that and this and that and this win on Sunday and they got it over the line. But that's kind of how sometimes baseball goes. I mean, it's it's one of those weird things. The dog days is the right phrasing even right now this is something we probably shouldn't say on the podcast, but even like I think fan interest is a little bit lower the deadline, you wain the reason out why, Like there's football starting up. We were from a south, not every risk from the South, but it's a football territory, and there's this le between the deadline and the playoffs, especially when the Braves are eight games up or whatever they are at the starry moment, like seven and a half as we're talking, there is kind of a lull and the team maybe is they're not they're not thinking that on the field every day. But it's like, you know, maybe we're only fighting about the things that don't don't matter that much right now.
Speaker 3: This is one of those fun times of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like from our perspective, like just from the four of us people that do this, like we've been kind of going full boar every day since January February, especially March when you know, and so like you get to this time of year and the trade deadlines passed, you know, there's not going to be any like crazy news and it's injury stuff, which you can't predict, you know, and especially when you have a team that's you know, if you're if you're a fan of the Phillies or the Padres, or the or the Diamondbacks or the Marlins, and like, you know, you got two teams for our four teams for two spots in the wild card. Yeah, every day is much different. But for right now, for brace fan, it is kind of like a it is kind of a weird place to be. It's not a bad place to be, it's you know, it's a it's a blessing to be this far up in the standings, to have the playoff odds that they have. You know, there's nothing crazy happening with the roster. We're going to talk a little bit about it, but like you know, there's a j Smith schaalv stuff that's interesting that's coming up. But yeah, it just kind of feels like it. And also with how they're playing, Like I know, they had the eight game winning streak, but I'll you know, beating the Gnats and the Mets or whatever, you know, I'm not going to freak out about that. I do feel like the team is just kind of just kind of hovering right now, which is fine. It's you know, I don't really expect them to go just balls to the wall in the middle of August when when they've are we played so many games and still it's one hundred degrees outside as well. I mean the game they play, they looked miserable out there. They had like a wide shot of the stadium. The stadium was like half empty today because if you're living the South, it is literally ninety nine degrees outside right now, and like it's just you know, that's why they call it the dog days. It really is just kind of a you know, it's it's kind of autopilot mode for a little bit until we get probably another few weeks into September, rosters expand playoff races really start to crystallize. You know, it'll pick back up, but this is this is a very normal part of the baseball schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we feel pretty good. We'll talk about the losses and those are of course less fun to talk about in a moment, but yeah, still still feel totally fine. And I want to speak for you, but the Braves are depending on what which playoff odds I think you like to reference where it's fangrass or whatever, ninety five plus percent, division odds, ninety nine percent, playoff odds, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Not one hundred percent, Not think's ever one hundred percent, but that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: And also when that's out here from Chad Bishop of Ajac, the Braves are sixty three and two when leading after eight innings this season. That's a good way to win a lot of baseball games, if you are winning and you don't blow games at the end of it, even if it's a little bit a little bit uncertain sometimes with rice El sixty three and two after eight innings, that's how you maintain a division lead.
Speaker 2: And I do want to I do want to make sure we highlight what you said earlier is that if there is a union on the team that can be elite, like the clearest path to be elite, it is the bullpen. Obviously, a lot of it's iglesias. You know, when your closer is not having a like good stretch, it kind of muddies everything, you know. And Fontes has given up a couple of home runs. I'm always worried about guys that young. As we get to this point in the season, is there gonna be a wall. It's a very common thing with rookies, so you know, we'll see. But one hundred percent, like the thing that the team does the best, that has the clearest path to being elite is definitely the bullpen. And you know, especially if AJ's smith Schaub is either going to be in the bullpen or maybe gets in the rotation, one of the one of the starters goes to the bullpen like a Grand Holmes like, the bullpen could be elite. And you know, we haven't seen it lately, but that is clearly the part of the team that you would you would circle as the thing that Braves probably do as well, if not better than most other teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even without even with this this Suarez absence, even with hiccups from Kinley and Glacis being one, they're still top five in baseball and bullpen era and I think their top five or six and fag grafts of war and bullpen like, this is a very very good bullpen like just what it is. It's not as maximum self right now and hopefully it will be between now and October, all right, Stephen, Before we move on to the rest of the weekend, plus the latest news in a preview of the week to come. Let us shut out our friends at fasten All. Fastenal Industrial supplies innovative solutions. If you want to learn more, visit Fastenal dot com.
Speaker 4: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools K twelve tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve Powered Schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com. Slash foul that's the letter k the number twelve dot com slash foul K twelve dot com slash foul Stephen.
Speaker 1: The rest of the weekend wasn't that much fun. I gotta say Friday's game was not one that anyone enjoyed. I don't think it was a two nothing loss to the Diamondbacks, an offensive disaster, basically two hits, no walks, no one even reached second base along the way, which I thought was a good nugget that I think you shared on Twitter that I didn't really fully realize a lot til you said it, And okay, I'll ask I'll ask you this. How much of it in your mind was that Brandon Fought is on an absolute mega heater right now because he is for like a month and a half maybe two months.
Speaker 3: How much of it was that?
Speaker 1: How much of that was the Braves just flopping for two and a half hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's some combination of the two. Right, Like, he has been very he has been very good. He's been very good.
Speaker 1: I have a stat for you, by the way, just said it up before before I forget Brandon fought last nine starts and you and I are both driving the cor of Elray is not all that matters, but in fact it matter, probably less people realize it does. Anyway, last nine starts for Brandon fought one point five. That's like two months worth it starts for him. And that's a the area of basically Bob Gibson's era in sixty eight. So the brace a part of that. But yeah, I mean, he's not that good, but he has been lately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's on its own, it's it's not something you think about, but there has been a number of games lately where the offenses just looked very mediocre. And listen to not get a runner to second base for an entire game at home against a good team, and it gainst a hot pitcher, but still, like you, we got to get a guy a second base. I mean, come on. And the Diamondbacks went oh for fourteen with runners in scoring position in that game and still won, which is insane on its own. It was such a weird game.
Speaker 3: It doesn't happen very often.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, when you don't allow any runs, you're generally gonna win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just to have that many opportunities in a game Chris Sales starts is just such a weird game. The diamond Dicks have been red hot, like the diamond back's been given that the Dodgers fits Corbyn. Carroll is an absolute monster guy. Terrifies me. He's got a little bit Like you could tell Marte has been hurt. I think he only played in one of three games of this series. But like Gabby Mourno is having a really good series or a really good year. Nolan Ernado has kind of had a resurgence in terms of his career. Looked like he was kind of over in Saint Louis. He's come to Arizona. It's been really very good this year. So they're a good team. But still like it was just a very frustrating game. I mean, you know, the offense, it's been a lot of Matt Olsen and it's been a little bit of a Kunya and it's been a little bit of Riley and Baldwin's having a really weird year, like ever since he's come back from that injury, like he's just not quite the same. Ozzy and Mike have have kind of slowed down a bit. It's just the offense is not playing great right now. And one thing that people always have in their back of their minds is if you go back and look at twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three, you know twenty twenty four of the playoff losses that they've had a lot of conversation has been about the rotation in the pitching lately. But you go look at those series one common denominators, they don't hit. They haven't hit in like since twenty one. Really, they haven't hit in a playoff series. And so anytime the offense goes through this, and obviously last year the offense was bad and twenty four of the offense was bad, so you know people have this in the back of their mind. So I get it. I completely understand why people start freaking out anytime we go through these stretches when the offense doesn't look good. Their overall numbers are down kind of more middle of the pack than than the close to the top. So it is a little concerning. I mean, I don't think you can just hand wave it away. I do. The talent on the team is still something I can stand behind. But if you look at like production, there have been there have been more games than not lately where the production has been less than I would have expected from this group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely agree. And you know, you can find some stuff to highlight in the positive way, like I'm not we're not doing it today. I want I want to allow it. Riley's been a little better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is good. Yes, I'm not doing the rabbit today. But you show some show a little bit of signs. Yep, you know.
Speaker 1: I think also it's been great. I think Ronnie has shown some signs. I don't worry about Ronald Accunya. When he is healthy, he's going to be better than he's been. He had a homer over the weekend and look good doing it. You can find that. But then you also look look down in the lineup sometimes and it's like, oh, there's Don Smith and he's finish. Jim Jarvis's ops is like five ninety. It's just like there's some stuff in there. And I actually wanted to ask you this later, We'll just do it now. So we're talking about it. They're not taking any walks lately. And this has never been a high walk team this season. In fact, even I looked it up through the end of July. So the first three four months of the season they had eight percent walk right as a team, which is like fifth worst in baseball or something like that. They're near the bottom of the league in August. It's only fifteen sixteen days. It's like six percent, which is worse than baseball by a lot. And you don't have to walk, as Michael Harris always shows us, but like it does help to have guys on base, and if you take more walks, you get more guys on base. And I think there's that's not exactly a shocking development that they've been scoring a little bit less when they're walking less. It's not not always parallel, but like there's some impact there in my mind.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, you know, Moneyball, Billy Bean, they taught us like, oh, on base percentages drives everything, like get on base. The walk rate is someone I've definitely noticed, like with Akunya and even matth Like even the guys that walk a lot typically are not walking, and then you have like guys who don't walk a lot who are not walking. Is not is shocking, But yeah, it's been a it's been a downward trend, and I think I think it's mostly variance. I don't think there's anything specific in that one stat that tells me something is fundamentally changed. You just go through periods where you know you're facing a lot of it's the quality of picture you're facing, Like they're just in the zone a bunch, Like in the Yankee series they face three monsters. The Diamondbacks have better pitching than I probably give them credit for. Even in the Mets series. There were some pretty decent arms in that series. So a lot of it's just who you're facing, but it is. It is a problem right now that they're not getting on base a lot of solo. They're hitting some a decent amount of home runs. That's what it made matt elsince home Day is so important. This is a three run homer and it really blew the game open and won the game.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know three I haven't been too many of those. Yeah, it's been a.
Speaker 2: Lot of solo homers. So yeah, it's it's it makes life harder.
Speaker 1: To your point, they're on the slugging too, Like I think I look this up now. They're seventh in slugging this month in all of baseball, which is good. Four to forty slugging obviously good. They are twenty fourth in on base percentage. Yeah, there you go, which is kind of amazing that they've won as much as they have. If you if all you told me in the last fifteen sixteen days is that they had a to eighty eight OBP, I'd be like, man, they're probably going to be you know, five and ten in that stretch, and they haven't been. They're winning more than they lost, more than more than they've they've lost this month. But yeah, it helps to have that pop. And they've also pitched pretty well along the way. Oh, Chris Sale was good as usual. He labored a little bit pitch pitch count wise, But I'm not gonna nitpick or Sale. I do have one one mini rant to go on. Did you happen to see his his one earned run on Friday? And I'm using giant quotations.
Speaker 2: For Oh, it was the Dubon play that wasn't an error?
Speaker 1: Correct they So if anybody missed this over the weekend, it was a clear misplay up by Dubon in left field. It was an obvious It was like a ninety nine percentile catch probability play and he just mistimed it and misjudged it and kind of ran in when he didn't when he shouldn't have it happens. It was correct, it was correctly ruled an error originally, and then like two innings later they said it wasn't an air anymore. And I'm not an official scorer, maybe I'm maybe I'm in Saint Stephen. I would need someone to convince me that should be an error. And I don't understand why that was sorry that they shouldn't be an air. I don't understand that it's not an air. I think if you asked me, should duba, he'd be like, yeah, that's an err?
Speaker 5: On me?
Speaker 3: What are we talking about here? Does this matter at all?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I just was like, what's going on here? How's it not an error? What's going on?
Speaker 2: There's some weird rule in baseball where like if it doesn't touch the outfielders glove, it can't be in airror, which is a which which is a really good which is a really good reason to not use fielding percentage and errors as how we measure defense. And it's really it's another good it's another good reason not to use e RA as much as you do, because a lot of times guys get tagged with runs they shouldn't get tagged with so like, yeah, like if if an outfielder just completely misplays a ball. He comes in, he should have gone back. The ball goes ten feet over his head and he never gets a glove on it. They always call that a hit because it has to touch the glove. Excuse me, it has to touch the glove for it to be an air for an outfield I don't know why. I have no idea why it is.
Speaker 1: I think maybe maybe they called it and again I'm speculating. I will furly admit I do not know the official score rules.
Speaker 3: I'm an official scorer.
Speaker 1: Caveat applied. I think maybe they called it an their originally because they thought they thought he hit it because he was.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like he just didn't see it, and it felt hivy behind him, like it literally went like he ran up and almost almost deflected it over his head.
Speaker 3: It was like he was close up to it.
Speaker 1: Was just a bizarre player anyway. I had to mention that because it was like, oh, that somehow makes Chris Sales era worse, which makes me laugh quite a bit. Okay, that was a two nothing lost. It was frustrating Saturday's game. If you came into the game late, you missed the only good part of it. The Braves led to nothing. Ronald hit a lead off home run on Saturday, they added another run in a moment, and they look to be on their way to evening the series at one to one, and then fast forward two and a half hours and lost by seven runs. It was ten to three final score. Grant Holmes is a topic, so let's just do this now. To be fair to Grant, he really had not had a blow up like this in about two months. Like he had been getting the job done to some degree, whether it's spoken, mirrors or whatever.
Speaker 3: You want a debate on that. I'm kind of with you on that. I like to look a little bit lower.
Speaker 1: But he had been giving them a chance to win every time out for two months, and its previous two outings, I think it was like.
Speaker 3: Twelve score was innings. So it's like, oh, it feels like Grant's kind of safe and all that.
Speaker 1: And then he goes three and two thirds, allows six runs, and we can be honest and say he was. He had been running pretty hot in the luck department before then, and it kind of all came crashing down at once. And Steve and I know that you saw this, I think you might have participated in it. Even this re sparked the rotation debate and also the Grant Holmes debate. So I'll let you go wherever you want to between Grant Holmes role, you know, his time for the order splits are. I have the stats if you want me to share them later. There's even stark wro the people realize you got smith shov What was your takeaway from Grand Holmes last outing and also the impact that it might have on the next couple of weeks in the rotation.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, again, this is a little bit of the Era FIP debate. If you goes, if you judge you about Era, then then Grant's had a good second half before Saturday's game. He think he had had any array in like the two's in the second half, but he had a fip in like the fours because he's not striking anybody out. The strikeouts have gone way down, like he's striking out I think like six per nine in the second half, So it might be worse than that. It's it's a really low number. He's walking almost four per nine. That that alone is a terrifying combination that will get you beat most nights. The reason it hasn't really beat him too bad in the second half is because he's stranding like ninety percent of his runners in the second half, which I know, I'm not gonna get too deep in the weeds, but like, how how the percentage of runners you strand on base usually returns to a mean and in small samples, if you strand a bunch of them, then it can kind of it can kind of hide that you're actually really struggling. You're not really paying for it all that much. That's kind of what's been going on with Grant. A lot of based runners but not really paying for it. And so like you have to look beyond the era to understand that Grant, even though the numbers, the baseline surface level numbers have been okay, he's not actually pitching that great in the second half. He's just gotten away with it a lot more in the second half. So and this is like, again, this is part of the discussion, you know, because the Braves have been very fortunate this year with some of this stuff about stranding runners on base at a higher rate than almost anybody in baseball. You know, their babup is like the second or third lowest in baseball in terms of what their pitchers have given up like they have, especially guys like Elder and Perez and Holmes, those three specifically, their baseline numbers look better than they've actually pitched this year. And this is like it takes a little nuance. You have to be able to just look past just era. Something Brad and I have talked about a ton offline because it pisses people off when you talk about it online, but like it's just true and this philosophical, Yeah, it's philosophical, and it's a little bit new school. It's not completely new school because a lot of this has been around for like fifteen years at this point. But Grant's just not pitched as well as maybe his era mikes people think he's pitched. And it caught up with him on Saturday, and my opinion of him has not changed one bit based on four games of you know, unsustainable era. And I really I want people to start getting to the point where they don't let it affect how they think about a guy because his era magically looks better over a month span.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we're look, we could we could do this. We're not we don't. We don't usually, we don't usually.
Speaker 1: Go like super granular stat caste. We'll do it sometimes, but like we're not like taking the super deep nerd dives on the podcast.
Speaker 3: It's hard to do that.
Speaker 1: But using FIP is not that's that's not in twenty twenty six, it's not like a super nerdy thing to talk about and look for the full season. Even Grant Holmes FIP right now, I'm I'm not sure if you know, Steven, it's four point nine to one for this. I know, I know that's that's not that's not. That's not a good number. Like Bryan Bryce Elder for all of his like he's the other push child for this, his FIP is like four point five six something for the season, which is also isn't good. So both those guys are out performing that. But Holmes, it's the same debate we've been had in forever. It's the time through the order splits, which I know would have been seen as revolutionary ten years ago and no longer is. But I'll give the updated numbers here the first time through the order of this season. Grand Holmes has an era just to use the ray and make it easy. Of two point eighty six and an ops allowed of six o three. That's really good, right, very plainly, very good. The second time through the order, his era jumps to five point eight two and his ops allowed is nine to fifty four. He's basically like allowing the good, like the best version of Matt Olsen to every every hitter the second time through the order, like that is a definitional reliever. Split Like everyone I know, we kind of do it flippantly every once in a while. This is this is what we're talking about when we talk about how Grand Holmes might just need to be a reliever in the best version of the Braves. This is the reason why. It's just it's just very plain and like, I'm sorry, I like Grandholmes. Well, the thing is, we like grand Holmes. But you said it already once. Just I want to rehab this what you said earlier. He's not missing bats the way the best version of grand Holmes has misbats. And if you stop doing that and you start walking people and you already have the time for the worst, what that you have, like it's it makes it makes it hard to trust you beyond you know, two and two thirds innings, Like it's just kind of what it is. I mean, I feel bad for saying like he's not useless, but like given the lens of smith Shov's knocking on the door and Lopez is even knocking on the door to returning, and they have seven starters and no one has options outside of smiths Shav like decision stuff has. Maybe it's Elder's knee. We talked about this pretty earlier. Maybe it's a fantom il or maybe a real a real el for Elder. But maybe it's just Holmes in the bullpen. I mean, wa Weiss does not seem to agree with that, though Walt Weiss literally almost downplayed that, like pretty openly. I'm not sure if you watched the interview after game, like whis did not seem thrilled with even the prospect of homes going to the bullpen.
Speaker 2: So let me give you two numbers. Because you just did times to the order, you use THERA, so I'm gonna give you the times to the order. I'm gonna use FIP. So first time through the order this year, Grant Holmes has a three twelve FIP excellent. Part of that is because he has a twenty twenty five percent strikeout rate. Second time through the order, Grant Holmes has a seven to sixty three FIP. Well, that's because he has a fourteen percent strikeout, right, So the second time through the order, second time through the order of the strikeouts just plummet and his production goes down. And that's like, we definitely beat this dead horse, probably for a couple of years now. But that's like, that's why we have the opinion that we have is because the numbers, the numbers bear the numbers bear it out.
Speaker 1: I wish I had looked at that, because you're you're right. I mean, your numbers are better than mine there, But that's whether you're ways we get the whole picture, whether you're an era Zelot or you are not. Either the way you spin it, Grant Holmes, when people have seen him that day, becomes.
Speaker 3: The worst pitcher. And I'll say this most guys do. He becomes a like a bad picture you see.
Speaker 2: I'll say this, It's even more clear to me because you have a j. Smith Schaber who needs innings before October. Like Ajus Michealver is the level of arm I think I've tweated this before, but just Ajus Michelver is the level of arm where if you get him in the right role, he can be a weapon in October. But you have to actually get him back up and put him in a role so you can see what he's got, because it's not guaranteed. He's still twenty four years old, he's barely pitched in the majors in two years. Like, there's nothing guaranteed about it. You need to get him up and see what he is over the next six weeks so you can figure out what kind of role, what kind of contributions he can give in October. So when you have that guy and you have a guy who's in your rotation who's very very very clearly more suited to be a reliever, it just feels like it's a very obvious move. And like you said, the team, at least so far, it doesn't agree with us. And that's fine. I mean that you know, they they that's fine. I'm I'm not gonna yell Tom. I I think it's very clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, we we agree, and it's not just us people on the internet, and it's what it is. But if they if they choose to have Smith Shov come out of the bullpen and Holmes to start.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: That's very weird to me. I don't. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: They haven't done it yet, so we're not gonna rant about it yet. If they do that, I'm gonna have a nice rant at some point about it because it makes no sense to me whatsoever. But what I mean, Walt signal that way. I don't know if we'll see what happens in the coming days, but it was pretty clear from what he said that they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna have list. If Elder really has a knee injury, it might solve itself.
Speaker 1: That might to some degree, But I mean, and just to put a button on this, why pretty plainly said that Holmes will make his next start like scheduled start, and if he does, that means somebody else isn't whether it's Smith, Shov or Elder, you know, I mean, someone else is not going to be We'll get to that later on, okay, Stephen, before we look ahead a little bit to a very very strange week, like a very odd, profoundly strange week on the horizon schedule wise, and the latest news.
Speaker 3: Let's get one more work from our partners on today's show.
Speaker 6: Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball, and anytime you want to go to a game, you should go to Sea Geek. I used to call the director of team travel, I used to call the traveling secretary whatever they want to be called KP to try to get a seat. But on Sea Geek, I can pick my own seat and I can pick where I want to sit instead of being told where to sit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great option.
Speaker 5: And summer is coming to an end here soon. I'm going out and finding all the day games possible, all the warm weather cities so I could stay in this tank top. I can watch very competitive baseball as the calendar turns into fall. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this tank top and warm weather and see Geek is where I would go and get my seats.
Speaker 6: You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at SIK. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Steve, before we preview this crazy week, a couple of news items that are you know, notable, nothing crazy. We waited this long for a reason. Between now and our most recent podcast, Robert Suarez through like actually played catch at least for the first time in a long time. It was reported that he threw from sixty feet on Thursday and sety five feet on Friday. What wise said, so far, so good. That was on a think Friday or maybe Saturday. No update the last two days that I have seen on Robert Surez, but at least with what we know that is still on track from our hopeful I know you and Scott in various ways both I think Sean did as well, like kind of lay the timeline out for like what we hope it might look like for Robert Suarez as of when we record this on Sunday evening, still on track for that.
Speaker 3: We just don't know what the next step is. But that's the latest update on Suarez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean good news is better than I mean, it's better than hearing that. Yeah, I saw that, and I just thought, all right, well, that's like the first step of like twelve that need to happen for him to be back. So you know, it's good, but you know, we're we're middle of August, so and I've seen pictures like stay at that step for a while if things don't progress well. So like we need to get him on a mound and eventually facing live hitters, and then for me, like the clock really starts, because then you can like rehab starts and then you know potentially coming back. Why they're not even like on a mound. It's hard for me to get all that excited. It's good that he's thrown and it's not painful, but you know, he's been he's been down for so long. I would be very worried if he was. He couldn't even play catch without like hurting. So it's good news, but we got a we're coming. The timeline is getting tight here very quickly, Like we got to get him on a mound, hopefully in the next week or two, and then you know, a good thing is he's a reliever. He doesn't take quite as much time to build back up as a starter would. But you know, we got like six weeks to the playoff. The playoffs start, and like the last week of September. I think the playoffs are like a week earlier this year than last year. Like calendar wise, so like I think there's only like five or six weeks until like the first round of the playoffs, So the clock is ticking.
Speaker 3: The clock is in fact ticking. One more quick news at him here out of the bullpen.
Speaker 1: I'm almost sad that Scott's not here to talk about this, and I'm saying that jokingly, But Scott's done a Danny Young rant. I think there are last three episodes and the Braves finally dfa Danny Young over the weekend because he had another blow up on Saturday.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter because the game was already over.
Speaker 1: They're getting blown out anyway. But and I take no pride in this, to take no joy in that Danny Young is probably a nice man. It didn't go well for Danny Young, and it was kind of baffling how long he was still on the roster with guys like Karen Jackman on the team and Ray Kerr, who they did end up selecting for the roster healthy and back and has more upside. But yeah, Ray cars in the bullpen.
Speaker 3: That's the that's the note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just now coming back, didn't he have? For some reason, I want to say, Kirk is like coming back from like elbow stuff last year. I can't remember, but yeah, Danny, Yeah, he has not.
Speaker 3: Thrown in the Major since twenty four.
Speaker 1: He had Tommy John Yeah yeah at the end of twenty four, I want to say, and missed all last season.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So but yeah, Danny Young Scott's been talking about it for like a month now. Every time you saw him out there, you're like, how the hell is this guy still on the team. I think he had thirteen walks in twelve innings with the Braves, which is insane.
Speaker 1: It didn't it didn't go well. I mean his to use I'll use FIP. I think his FI is like seven yeah, seven point seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you walk that many people, it's impossible for it not to be. So yeah, he just I mean, and I think people think maybe like he's young because his last name is Young. He's like, I think he's like thirty three years old. It's not like some like prospect, like a project that you He's just a guy that you let go as soon as they show that they're bad. And he's showed him that he was bad like a month ago. So yeah, it was weird that they left him on the roster.
Speaker 1: So long, I would agree, all right, we'll get out of here, but we gotta say we don't always like in depth preview the entire week. The Braves have this very very odd schedule this week. Number one, they are going to play in four different venues in the next seven days. They have a three game series in Minnesota starting Monday, which is very normal. They have two night games Monday and Tuesday, and they have a getaway day afternoon game on Wednesday. That part of the schedule is normal. That's the end of it, though, because from there Thursday, they go to Chicago to play a weather reschedule makeup game, like a one game.
Speaker 3: Series basically against the White Sox. That happens.
Speaker 1: It used to be an off day. It's not being off day. It does happen, but that's not super ordinary. Then they go to Milwaukee for Friday and Saturday, both games in Milwaukee or afternoon games. Will come back for that a second, and then they play Milwaukee again on Sunday, but this time it's in the Little League Classic in Williamsport. So it's Minnesota to Chicago to Milwaukee to Pennsylvania all in seven days, and technically the game on Sunday is a home game, I believe, or itsed a neutral game. It's not a tendentally a road game.
Speaker 3: Who cares.
Speaker 1: But all of that before they come home to play the Dodgers the following week, Steven, I mean, I don't mean what the takeaway is just a very odd piece of scheduling and four consecutive day games, or if you're Scott Coleman, morning games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I can't say that I ever remember the Braves playing a Wednesday day game, a Thursday day game, a Friday day game, and a Saturday day game all in a row. That is very, very weird, just like the the game they're making up in Chicago being a day game is weird on its own. I am assuming that the reason they're playing a Friday day game in Milwaukee has got something to do with the fact they're doing the Williamsport game on Sunday. I guess it's like a cumulative effect of the Saturday game needs to be earlier, so the Friday game needs to be earlier.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but as a probably what it is. But yeah, it's and that's the one. Friday's game is the latest of them. It's a four to ten start. Yeah, the other three are all like two ten or earlier, so they're like really, they're not like those late afternoon games sometimes you play. And then Sunday is a prime time because its because it's literally classic, it's a it's a sun night baseball game.
Speaker 2: So I yeah, at least it's up north where it's not like a million degrees outside. If they were having to play four straight day games in like the Atlanta Heat, they might mean they might they might die.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that would not be good that you know.
Speaker 1: That's the unique part about the schedule this week is just where they're playing and all of that. You know, quality wise, Minnesota is not particularly great.
Speaker 3: They're not terrible.
Speaker 1: They've lost like for the last five. They're sixteen to sixty five this season. Not a terrible team, but not great, not a great team. The White Sox are playing well. The Brewers are obviously quite good. So it's not like it's a easy schedule either. You're going on the road anyway, it's there's no gimmes in this bunch whatsoever. I'll let you talk about anyone else you want to talk about about the matchups. We do have the pitching probables for the first three games. It's Perez and it's Bailey over on Monday, it's Tyler Mallley on Tuesday, and then Chris Sale on Wednesday. And as we just referenced a minute ago, what Weiss indicated this is not official at all, but what Weiss did say that he was playing on Grant Holmes having his next start, so that would be later on this.
Speaker 3: Week as well.
Speaker 1: Anything else sticks out to you, obviously the Milwaukee one's the Showdown will play previous that later on the week, but anything with Minnesota you're looking for.
Speaker 2: I did think, and I'll give a hat tip to one of our co hosts, Sean, who pointed this out. I did think it was possible that the Braves would push Sale off of the Minnesota series and push him to the first game of the Milwaukee series, because if you did that, then he would be able to pitch the first game against Milwaukee and the last game against the Dodgers, so you would have him for both of those series. Obviously, the Braves are competing with those two teams for the two buys that you get in the first round of the playoffs, so it was notable in me that they stuck with it and kept Sale in the Minnesota series, which means he's gonna miss the Milwaukee series altogether. It's not a huge deal, but it's just a note to me that he could have done both. And I also thought maybe they would try to use that spot to get a j smichavor in and obviously not. So it's not written in stone. I have seen them release probables and then halfway through the series change it, especially if they win the first two games. I could still see a world where they push Sale back and maybe even get AJ up there to get a start in uh. Walt said that they didn't have a plan right now for AJ to start again in Triple A, so I don't know. I don't know what the plan. I don't know that they know what the plan is, to be honest.
Speaker 3: With you, they may not.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe Alex does, like he didn't rule out bullpen, which is why I brought it up earlier.
Speaker 3: Like espelically did not rule out a bullpen assignment for Machav. I would not like that at all.
Speaker 2: I would just keep an eye on that Wednesday game. I don't think Sale in that spot is written in penn.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I mean it never is.
Speaker 1: They're probables for a reason, but Sale, they have been very, very willing to push Sale.
Speaker 2: Back every time basically.
Speaker 1: So yeah, especially let's let's say, let's say, I mean, for positive positivity's sake, let's say they win Monday and Tuesday.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I might might make it more likely that they pushed Sail back, like it's felt like they they haven't. They never say that, but it feels like if they're playing, if they're winning games and playing well, like, all right, Chris, take a couple of extra days off, Yeah, well, uh, we'll save some bullets.
Speaker 3: If they lose money in Tuesday. Maybe maybe not. But yeah, they're probables for a reason. But they did announce them, so I always want to say that out. Wow, Chris Sale was announced as the probable for Wednesday, but I'm I'm on your side.
Speaker 1: I would not surprised we have not seen him in that spot, even if he is, of course pitching super well. And hey, I'm looking forward to watching Tyler Mallley again because he's looked great in his first tues.
Speaker 2: For I think Buston just came back. I think Buxton was on the I L for like two weeks. I think he just came back yesterday. So I think Buxton is there for this.
Speaker 3: I do. He did. He did play today. He came back Thursday, so I think he's played three.
Speaker 2: Times back Okay, Thursday, Okay, so yeah, he's he's back. I think Joe Ryan might be out. I haven't.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't look at Minnesota's probables, but he's not.
Speaker 1: He's not among them. It's it's Baily Over, I know. And then I think it's I want to say it's TODJ. Bradley on Wednesday. But yeah, Joe Ryan's not pitching in the series.
Speaker 2: So they're not a bad team, but they're not a great team. I think they I think the Phillies just went up there and swept them for three games. So you need to certainly game, especially with sale pitching, where you do need to take care of business, win the series, especially off of a pretty meh series they just played against Arizona, you know. And and the schedule does get tough after Minnesota, I mean, Chicago, Milwaukee, l A is a tough, tough seven game stretch, and I don't think they have any did they have an off day? I don't think they have an off day in there. Maybe on Monday.
Speaker 3: They do before before the Dog series, they have.
Speaker 2: One off day on Monday, so that will help reset the bullpen. But yeah, you need to take care of business against Minnesota because the schedule gets tough in a hurry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 1: So we'll of course be dialed in throughout the week with episodes of this podcast and full write downs of what's going on. If we get, we're on Smashov. If we get we're on Lopez coming back, if we get we're on Holmes Future ending in between.
Speaker 3: Plus just our normal game coverage as well. So please keep it locked right here on Hammer Territory. Steven.
Speaker 1: Feel free to send anybody out that you with with more content if you have any more to share. If not, where can folks find all of your musings?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I be underscore outliers. If you want to follow along on Twitter, I will admit this time of year, I probably cut my usage over there about in half. I just it does. It's a little bit on.
Speaker 3: A still, you're still the most active of the four of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very true. But games anyway, Yeah, you know again, the Brave's own a really good spot for the regular season. I see a lot of freak out every day anytime there's a loss. Like the Braves are up, are perfectly fine right now. I understand like the Dodgers and the Brewers, that's a race that you do want a track. But they get to play both those teams. They can make statements of both those series if they want, if they play well enough. So they're in a good spot. Like they're in a very good spot. There's things about the roster I wish we're a little better. We're gonna have to watch Iglesias. My concern level is rising with him. We didn't talk about him a lot tonight, but like that's something we're gonna have to follow. But they're in a good spot right now.
Speaker 1: I would agree follow Stephen, follow the show at Hammer Territory, and one more time, please subscribe to this podcast if you enjoy it. If you're just finding us now, we appreciate you popping in. If you're a longtime listener, we definitely thank you for that as well, and importantly tell your friends about the podcast as well. Apple Spotify YouTube ratings, reviews, likes, comments, all that fun stuff. Say to everybody, and we'll have more to coming later on this week. See everybody next time.