Speaker 1: What's up everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show with My brother, my dog Bad. What's happening? What's up?
Speaker 2: My Dog?
Speaker 3: Followed the show all social media platform Draymond Show, so you don't miss the show's announcements.
Speaker 1: Today's guests, we got created one of the coldest moves in basketball, and I'll give it the nickname after. I'll let y'all know the nicknames that at least in my like it has a nickname. But in my area where I grew up at, it has a specific nickname. So I'll get into the nickname after I announced this. But this guy, he's a Hall of Famer, five time NBA All Star, five time All NBA member, Olympic gold medalist. His number ten jersey is retired in Miami, me uh here, is famous for the U tep two step, which in my parts we just called it to Timmy somebody, that's what it is. It ain't no U tap two steps. You hit her with the Timmy, That's what we called it. Our father of NBA Vet, Tim Hardaway Junior, Chicago's on none other d Tim Hardaway Senior. What's happening in og.
Speaker 4: Not much, man, Nothing much? You know, I always always listen to y'all show and listen to both of you guys. Always wanted to come on and just be a guest on here because y'all, y'all be staying the realest stuff. Y'all always real, you know. And and y'all you know that's what people need to hear. People don't need to hear all this fabrication. And that's what I like about you guys. Man, I've been wanting to come on here for a long time, and I'm glad I'm able to make it tonight.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you. Oh g the legend you know, uh all. Remember I got a chance to tell you. I used to wear the Tim Hardaways with the X wore sized tim but the shoes was like eight and a halves and I.
Speaker 2: Bust you off.
Speaker 3: I busted them for two years, you know, you know, the utell two stuff.
Speaker 2: Just to me, you was the dude that I pattered my game after. You was the dude. You was that dog that when I watched you play, I was like, oh yeah, like this is the this is this is the fabric I need to come to the game with, you know what I mean. And then even get a chance to play against you, you know what I mean, Like you brought that dog out of me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And you know yeah, and then honor you bro all right officially got my hair and with b Yes, look I'm.
Speaker 2: Getting back to the essence, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Look, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: About a couple of weeks he was ball.
Speaker 1: He was a few days now, I could come back.
Speaker 4: Me tell you a story about Barren, so barn. It was Baron's first year and with the Charlotte Hornets and him, him and Wesley what's the name.
Speaker 1: David West West David played with them on the game.
Speaker 4: He said, he said, he said, I was going at Baron and David said, Man, why you going at my rookie like this? I said, Man, I'm gonna tell you that I probably got another maybe four or five more years left. He got another probably thirteen fourteen years. I'm gonna give it to him. Why I got it. When it's at my time, he's definitely going to embarrassed. And that's what he's did in that playoff series. He embarrassed me. Uh. I couldn't even stick him. I was slow footed, uh uh, And I was like, damn, it Is it that bad? Is it that bad? You know? Was like oh, I was like, oh man, you know I got wow. You know, but I mean, but you know, they was ready for it. They was ready for it. They was ready for Charlie came and bust out button.
Speaker 2: That was my.
Speaker 3: First playoff start right, and man, you gotta think all I've been doing it since I got tape at a v c R and watch basketball.
Speaker 2: I've been watching you.
Speaker 4: So hey, you gave it to me. You gave it to me like I gave like I gave it to you, your rookie. You gave him.
Speaker 3: You killed me. I was so nervous because I know you crossed. You like to point and run the floppy and pull up. So I was like, I'm not letting him get in no breaks, I don't care if none.
Speaker 2: Of this ship. I'm about to stick to this dude like glue. And that was my wild I was like.
Speaker 3: Man, I was so nervous, bro, because I was like, yo, this is my dude.
Speaker 2: And then you pop me with an elbow and that just woke me up. I was like, okay, okay, this is real, Like he don't like me. I got you know, I got to get right.
Speaker 4: It was nothing personal. It was just Bi. It was was It was just Bi, That's all it was.
Speaker 2: It was man.
Speaker 1: We had We had our team awareness meeting the day in dirk Mini field was Dirk was asking me. Dirk said, what's what's wrong with the game to day? And it's funny to hear you say, he hits you with the elbow? Because I was telling Dirk Dirk's like wrong, like what you got for me? I said, I'm gonna tell you one of the things that is really wrong and it's really bad. And so I told Dirk. I said, everybody complained about the league being soft and too many foul calls and et cetera. I said, Dirk, the problem is there's no hierarchy in the league anymore. I said, So, for instance, you hitting b D with the elbow, like when Porzingis came into the league, and different young guys like that when I was on my way up, and then like you know, in my space as an All Star, I want to like show them guys and try to instill a little fear in those guys just because I would say, I know in the like it's going to come a time where in a few years, that dude gonna be unstoppable. And if I can instill a little bit of fear in him now, that'll help me down the line. So that was always my mindset. And told Dirk today, I said, Dirk, the problem is there's no hierarchy. No one has to earn anything in this league anymore. So you hitting BD with the elbow is what we all went through, right, Somebody hit you with an elbow. Now you hit BD with the l and BD hit somebody else with the elbow. You know what I'm saying. And you just got to deal with it, right, And that's and so getting a call in the NBA, if you was a rookie, you couldn't touch nobody, and so you had to play the cleanest defense ever because if you touch somebody you're even remotely close, they calling to follow you, and and and and by the way, if they touch you, good luck. A referee would actually tell you at that time, liked to get a fire no play. And so in our league today I told Dirk, I said, Dirt, the problem is not everybody get casts. I said, So if you're a rookie and you drive and I filed you, they giving you that file, I said, and the problem with that is all of us, well we had to go through to get a file call or to be able to file. It was treacherous and you had to go through the ringer to get that. Nowadays, I was telling him, I said, dirt, there was a play in the Laker game. I was telling them about when Dunc Connect called me to be and I called him a pee and I got a tech right, and I said, I said, dirt. The problem is in that game, I said to the referee there was a fifty to fifty call and not actually had all ball, and he gave Dug Connect a foul. And I said, Yo, if it's any if it's remotely close to fifty to fifty, I get the benefit of the doll. He don't get the benefit. I said, not actually hit ball, but if you thought it was fifty to fifty, I get the benefit of down. He said, no, that ain't how it work. Do work like that, and you just ain't been here long enough to know it worked like that. And I said, I said all of that to say just to hear you say, Yo, you hit me with that elbow woke me up. We can't do that anymore. And if people wonder what's wrong with the game, there's no hierarchy in this game. And I just want to hear your thoughts on that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, You're absolutely right. When I was rookie, I stepped in front of Charles Barkley and Jake O'donald, not Jake o'donald.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'll getting his name, Earl, Earl, I forget his name, but he I stepped in front of bark and I just went like this and passed the traveled and he said, founding you, Tim, And I said now, I said, I said, I went to him and Chris Molly said, Tim, Tim, come in, come in. He said, hey, man, yeah, leave him alone. Earl Dale Garrison. Garrison, okay, he said, he said, Tim, leave him alone. Leave him alone. He said, don't say nothing to him. I said, okay, And I just played the game and I left it alone. And like two or three games, you know, we was on the road trip. We had Daryl Garrison again, and everything. Daryl Garrison said, I like you. I said, why, He said, cause you listen. You listen to Chris some some some some rookies would be like, oh no, all this and that and that said, you listen to Chris and I like you. And but he said, I feel a poppy though I still kick your ass out. But just just understand that you listen to Chris and and you you're you're a good guy. You understand, you understand what's going on. And I said yeah. I said, yeah, I'm a rookie, and I understand that I got to be in my place and I'm gonna stand my plate.
Speaker 3: You know, and referee back. Then referee tell you that they have personality. That's what I was going to say to me. The referees, like, you got the power, right, And so today's referees they're just refing the game. So they just call it a lot of times what they see. They're not creating that energy and a flow, you know what I mean. To let people you know, like certain games, you know, tim you go into certain games, you see certain reps, it's like, oh, they're gonna let us play to night, you know what I mean, certain dudes, they're gonna have an early whistle. But like today is really like all it's an inconsistent whistle because you're reffing every play and you're not a part of the fabric of the game. So there's no drama, right, there's no drama because you know, ain't no mistakes made. So like even when you watching the game, it's like it's hard to make a lot of mistakes when the goal is to shoot three pointers, you know what I meaning, and like to shoot forty three, so you can't really make no mistake or you know, try to cross somebody up. Can'tch somebody on the io and mess up because you don't have to, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean. And the rest don't either. Go ahead, But.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you this too. A lot of these young guys, they don't pay attention to the referees. They don't know the referees. They don't understand the referee. They think that the referees supposed to adjust to them. No, you got to adjust to the referees, you know, Like you said, Ben, you know which referees don't call a quick whisper. You know which referees don't like you.
Speaker 2: Yep, you know you know the referee.
Speaker 4: They don't like you, and it's not going to call a foul for you. And you know, leave him a law no matter what he does. You got to leave him alone because it's not gonna get no better face. And these guys, I see these guys today as I'm watching the game. They just don't adjust to the referees that don't like them. And you can tell the ones that don't like him because they don't call nothing for him, and they trying to steady go at him, steady, go at him, steady go at him. The references like I'm not calling nothing, but I'm not. Somebody else may call it, but I'm not gonna call it, And they steady going to him, talking to him. He don't like you. You need him alone. He's not gonna call nothing, but you you know, don't stove there and say, hey, how you doing, how your family doing? If you see him out, don't buy nothing. Just leave him alone because he don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he ain't messing with you like you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But it used to be a referee and tell you like, hey, leave me alone. I don't like it, you know what I mean. They will tell you he come up, you come over here and talk to me. I'm gonna get you a text. And you're like, man, he ain't messing with hey, you ain't insa.
Speaker 4: Used to be Joey Crawfelt and Joey Crawpy used to tell you that in the heart, don't come on, don't come over here, and then you steady walking, y'all you want to get kicked out.
Speaker 2: He don't enjoy joint Crawford kick me out.
Speaker 3: Of playoff game for clapping, bro Hey, the Dallas series.
Speaker 2: D I got kicked out.
Speaker 3: I think it was like, uh, game two or game five, and all I was doing was going, come on, guys.
Speaker 2: You then go, hey, stop clapping. I'm like, what you mean, stop clapping? Guys?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: He said, bo, you're out of here? What yeah, play no game, no excellation, He's gone.
Speaker 1: My favorite referees out.
Speaker 4: He was one of my favorite refereences. He did not play. Just let him call the game, and it's gonna it's gonna even out. It don't even out. If you just let him call the game, it's gonna even out. But if you don't let him call the game, you want him, oh we and he takes the personal, he takes the game. But but I love I love him because I love because I know you know how that long. Yep, it was gonna be a fair game. Yep, it was gonna be fair, and he was gonna call it, right, He's gonna call what he saw. It wasn't gonna be like no fanom call. He gonna call what he sees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I.
Speaker 4: Like about him.
Speaker 1: That's the fact. And if he don't see it, he'll tell you, I ain't see that. I'm not calling anything.
Speaker 4: I don't see that. I didn't see it. I was looking at this, I was looking at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But that's you know, that's a part of the game. That's the part of the education. You know.
Speaker 3: I just always felt like everybody played a role, and like your basketball development, so the referee, the relationship, the not relationship, understanding, the rest, your coach and an opponent, you know what I mean. And so I think a lot of times, you know, when you look at the young dudes and like not respecting a hierarchy is because they ain't got no research. They coming in the game like made the first ones to do it, you know what I mean. And so that's the problem. That's the problem. Like you ain't coming in the league like yo, I want to be in this league because so and so and this, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like everything you say.
Speaker 4: You don't have no vet, and you don't have no vest on the end of the bench, like at least one or two vets when we came in, we had one or two vets. They knew they could still play. But they was like, all right, if they was call upon, they going there and play. But they was in there to mentor everybody else. Yo, man, new, he don't like this. New he liked this. You know, this how you're gonna it's how you're gonna get him to love you. Just go out there and play and do the right play and do the right thing, and this and that and and everything to work out. Just go out there and play your hardest. Nelly, don't like this, you know, don't be hanging now. Don't have them to see you drinking a be after the game, nothing like that, especially as a rookie. You know, a rookie, you know, take your butt inside and be in your room and have a be in your room or something like that. You know, but don't don't be out here in a way, you know, in a restaurant of some having a beer and stuff like that. So he you know, the bet to tell you exactly what needs to be done. And you know, and you just got to say here.
Speaker 2: To its.
Speaker 5: NFL playoffs. We're talking about NFL playoffs. You bet we are. Get in on the action at DraftKings sports Book, an official sports betting partner of the NFL. Scoring touchdowns is a key to winning in the NFL playoffs, and the key tou scoring big is betting on them at DraftKings, the number one place to bet touchdowns. If you're ready to place your first bet, make it really simple. A player scoring a touchdown, go to Draft Kings sports Books app, download it, make your pick. Here's another reason to watch your favorite players crush it on the playoffs. If you're a new customer, you bet five bucks. That's it, five bucks, get two hundred in bonus bets instantly by betting just five bucks, so score big.
Speaker 1: Draft King sports Book during the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Download the app.
Speaker 5: Use the code colin c l I N That will get you two hundred bucks in bonus bet. So if you want two hundred dollars in bonus bets, you got to put in the code colin only on Draftking Sportsbook. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 6: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and why four six seven three sixty nine in Connecticut. Help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one on over agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Voyden, Ontario, Bonus bets Ekspire one hundred and sixty eight hours, apterichuins four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: I tell everybody all the time, when I first came to the Warriors, they would do this for years at Oracle. I think they stopped doing it when we got over here, but I for years at Oracle they would do this, what's your favorite warrior moment? And all the fans their favorite warrior moment, what their favorite moment as a warrior, memories as a warrior would be either we believe Daron Davis, Duncle Andrew Carolinko or Ron TMC. And so you know, for me come here, like that's what everybody was like, That's what everybody loved, That's what everybody talked about it. So that's all I will hear about for you, roun TMC. You mintioned Moley. What was the best thing on and off the court from those roun TMC years that y'all had together?
Speaker 4: Camaraderie, camaraderie, friendship, wanting to do better as a team, always coming out an example. We was we Chris Mullen always set the bar. I mean nobody touched that bar. He came out, worked on this game, an hour before practice, an hour after practice in the weight room. I will be for the game. He still go out there ready to go, ready to play eighty two games. Everybody said they borrow for that. You know, everybody was and you know what it was when y'all was winning championship. The team was together. We knew, we knew that we wasn't no better than nobody else on the team. We knew that we needed a team to win. So we we all was a team, and we treated each other like a team like I didn't get no preferential you know, treatment and Chris or missed it. We just came out there and played and we loved playing. You know, the first time I went to the got signed, went there and signed. Chris, Like, what you want to do? I said, Man, I want to play, Man, I haven't played in five days. Man, I want to play. I'm feending the play. We went and played and it was me, Chris, Mitch wasn't there, Rod Higgins and some other guys. Man, we played for three hours. We just played for three hours, and I was on christ team, and I just wanted to get the feel of Chris. I just wanted to see where he liked the ball, how he liked the ball, run up down the court, just passing him, doing my thing and doing this and that. And that's how I got activated with Chris, knowing how he wanted the ball, way he won the ball, and Mitch too. You know, you got to know where they wanted to add in the pocket. You know, lobs, post stuff, all that type of stuff. And it's about communication, like you all communications communication. A lot of these guys don't communicate with one another. That's why they not as good as you know, the champions, you know, the finalists, getting to the getting to the to the ships. So you gotta you gotta communicate to one another. And that's what we did. Man. We love We just love playing with one another man, and we love hanging out with each other. Man, go to the movies, you know, go eat dinner together, you know, hang out as a team together. It was all about team of us, man, and that's what made us, you know, real good with run TMC and with the community. Man went out in the community and done stuff in the community. Man, we love the community. We went here, went the schools, went to centers, we went to parks. You know, somebody Chris Mulley, you might you might be driving down the street, Chris Mullen outside playing ball. That's the way it was.
Speaker 2: That's where it was fine.
Speaker 4: But yeah, man, that's that's why. That's that's why we we blocked them. And that's why we we were so good with each other.
Speaker 2: No, we love run TOMC.
Speaker 3: I always say, y'all are pioneers also of like when hip hop and the NBA happened.
Speaker 2: You know, so a lot of shoutouts to run tm SEE for you.
Speaker 3: You know, you are one of my top five warriors of all time. I want to ask you the question, who what is your top five or who are your top five warriors of all time?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Chris Mullen, Mitrishmond of course, you know, uh, you know, it was a lot of guys that came through there that played and left and you know after one or two years and went somewhere else and played.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: You know you sleepy Floyd. You know a lot of people. Yeah, sleep He was cold man. Uh, of course you know rick Berry, you know, of.
Speaker 2: Course, Rick Barry.
Speaker 4: I mean you got you got, you gotta, man, come on, man, you don't think rick Berry up? Oh man, Ricky was cold man cold. A lot of people. Man, rick Berry was a cold motherfucker. He was nasty with it too. He nasty with it too.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: He could put that ball in the basket.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: It's like Chris Mully. He could put that ball in the basket, man, you know. And that's what's that that's for? And I got to give uh uh uh you know you can say will you can say, uh my, man, he passed away to get to all boys. He was serious. When you know what, when Nate Thurmy walked in the room, everybody's like, that's that was his presidence, you know, Adam, Adam, he walked in the room, that was his president, you know, and you know he's like, you know, you know, y'all y'all stopping. Man, you're a legend. Man, You're a legend. You're a pioneer. You was a pioneer. God spressed all day. So man, you know, is I put in about eight of them. That's the five hour do man. But man, I mean it was some cold people coming out of out of out of.
Speaker 3: The Warriors, Warriors, birth legends, Warriors birth legends.
Speaker 4: I'm just talking about my errand before my Yeah, I'm not talking about now you know. It's you a Baron's Clay Draymond and Curry, you know, uh uh you know and those guys I mean Richards Richardson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean come on, man.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, I mean it's a lot. It was lots of trails pretty well, you know, a lot. You know, it's a lot. There's a lot of people that came through there. Man. That that was cold blooded. That was cold blood.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's the fact. That's all. That's a tough listen, man. I don't think people realize how deep the Warriors history go back.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people get caught obviously, and.
Speaker 4: The barrier, dude, though the barrier.
Speaker 1: Does for sure the base support that they own, like no other.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: Absolutely the way the base support their own world.
Speaker 2: Next to the Dodger fans, though.
Speaker 1: Letok ask you stop, all right, you could have left that where it was at. Nobody needed that, nobody, nobody needed that here Dodgers.
Speaker 4: I'm not even a fan.
Speaker 1: Go Yankees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're not.
Speaker 4: You're not You're not on the Tigers, Detroit Tigers.
Speaker 3: No, no, even a Detroit Lions fans fan boys disgusted.
Speaker 4: You know you're not a Lions fan from from here, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I like to see the Lions win, though I definitely like to see the Lions win, but in our roof for the Lions. But I'm not a Lions fan. I'll tell you I'm not a Lions fan or a Tigers fan, the reason being.
Speaker 4: I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Check this out, check this out. I wasn't. I wasn't a Detroit Pistons fan until I got really close with the Dumars and then like naturally, like come on, like this man taking us to games like opening Yeah. No, I'm just saying, like you take well, four kids from Sagina, are you right? I ain't had I ain't have access to games. You just showing just showing us a life that I never even imagined was possible for me. You know what I'm saying, Like you could not support that. But I'll tell you why I wasn't a fan of the Detroit teams growing up is because growing up playing basketball. Now as I've grown older, I cheer for him like I'm from there, like, and so I'm always going to want to see them win. But just the way that I am to my core, growing up as a kid, I never would allow myself to root for the Detroit teams because when we were growing up and playing AAU basketball sacking of pride. We go to these tournaments and the Detroit the kids from Detroit would treat us like like we might as well be from Louisiana. Like if you're not from Detroit, you like they don't care about you being from the state of Michigan. You're not from Detroit, get out our face, you know what I'm saying. And so for me, I have a lot of pride in sacking off and trying to put a city like that as a young kid, thinking like, man, I want to put this place on the map, and then they're treating you like, yo, you ain't from Detroit, get out my face, like and so I'm like, well, I'm not I'm not rooting for anything in Detroit because y'all want to treat us like that. But then I'm supposed to be like, oh, that's my hometown team, like, but you treat me like I'm an outcasting and I might as well be from tim Buck too. And so as a kid and just having that crazy chip on my shoulder at that time, I was like, forget everything Detroit, like I don't care for Detroit at all. Y'all treat us like that. And you know, but as I've grown older and just being away from home, I'll always rep because you know, everybody, like I'm gonna rep the crib or anything, of course, but just you know what I'm saying. But the world, No, I'm from sagging On, now, you know what I'm saying. And so it is what it is. But I had a crazy chip towards anything Detroit just because of the way that people would treat us, you know, coming from a small city like.
Speaker 4: Sag So I will your story. I'm gonna tell your story. So I'm went to Miami Heat. I'm a scout for the Miami Heat. I come and see. You know, I was always at I was always at the Big Ten games especially, and all that I'm writing you up. I'm like, this is Miami heat culture right here. I say, Draymond Green is Miami. He coached. We need to we need to draft him, need to draft him. Dude, he gonna come in. He knows how to play. He's gonna play his role, He's gonna play defense. He gonna give everybody confidence. This dude can play the game of basketball. Yeah, and Pat was like, I don't want him. I said why. He never gave me a reason. So every time you can't to Miami, go to State War and y'all y'all beat us there. Me and Pat look at each other, he said, he said, he said, he looked at me. He said that, not say that. You know, he's not saying.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 4: Not He kept looking at me. I was like, I told you so, I said. I said, if we would have had him and yet his presence in the game and knowing the game, I'm not saying it would have been like this, but we could have won three in a row with Lebron. I'm talking about with Lebron, Seve Wade and Chris Bosch. I felt comfortable with you being on that team, coming in and doing what you're supposed to do because you was the type of Heat player that we need.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. I appreciate that. You know what's crazy? Oh, gee, as I is. Miami was one of the teams that I thought was would be really high on me during the draft, and you know, I'm sliding in the draft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I was in that green room. I was in the green room.
Speaker 1: I was like, you know, it really baffled me to see the Miami Heat draft or that Montrey because I'm like, draft are Montri? Like this dude had all type of character red flags when we was coming out in the draft, and you know he was the upside of him as a player was insane, but he had all type of character issue red flags. And I'm like, they gonna draft this guy, but they talk about all of the character stuff and how you gotta be a high character guy play in Miami and leave me sitting right here. And I would watch those teams, those Miami teams with Brian and be like, yeah and d Wade and Bosh and be like I would have fit right in there, Like I could have brought exactly what that team needed. Yeh, low salary because I was low pick in the first round, I could have brought with that team needed. I agree. I felt that way. And to see Arnet Montrie get drafted there and have character issues, I was immediately like, Oh, they not about what they talk what they say they're about. They say they're about this character and now Heat guys, they not about what they say there about it. Yeah, my mindset after when I didn't when I saw who y'all drafted and didn't draft me, I was like, they're not about what they say there about you.
Speaker 4: Now, No, no, no culture. I'm gonna tell you this. I mean we we are about that heat. Culture is what you bring. Drake. You go out there, you practice, you don't you don't you understand what it's about. I see a lot of people I love Pat because paid attention to detail, got you ready to play, made you understood what you need to do, made you understood how to get better. All right. I came in there knowing that I can still play, knowing what I can do and everything. So I both of us needed each other. He needed me to come and run his team. He needed a point guard. To come in and run his team the way it needs to be ran like he wanted to be grand. That's the way. That's how I came in and that's what I did. Okay, you know work ethic, work at it. Don't bitch about you know this, don't bitch about that. Just come in, do your job, and when it's time for you to play, come in and play. And that's what he Coulture is. He culture is about team. He culture is about leaving all that bullshit out and everybody in his playing for the heat. We're not playing for the name on that fucking back. We're playing for the heat, and we know what we need to do and we're coming in and doing it no matter what. And that's what he culture is. A lot of people want to do their own stuff, and that's not he coached. You're not gonna do your own shit. You're not gonna do your own shit. You're gonna do what you're supposed to do with the team. He never ravered. Nobody was special on that team. You knew who was the guy, you knew who was this, you knew who was that. Everybody knew that. But it was about the team and we always played as a team no.
Speaker 2: Matter what.
Speaker 1: So so so is that is that what's affecting the Heat right now with Jimmy Butler is they're essentially saying that Jimmy wasn't being a part of Heat culture anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that, but that's passed their fault to me.
Speaker 1: All Right.
Speaker 4: You let him fly on his own private jet different places and he'll meet the team, but shoot him around. You let that stuff get out of hand. You let Jimmy Butler come in and say this and that you know this, and that you let it get out of hand. And then when Jimmy Butler, now, I'm gonna tell you that he deserves his money. He deserves his money. Everybody deserves a month, all right, but you can't play sixty of the games. And I'm in the game, and then we got to work just as hard to get to where we need to get to. I need, I need to not be in playing game. I need to be six. If he played seventy five, seventy.
Speaker 2: Three, four seed, your four seed, right.
Speaker 4: Easy, easy? They the fourth seed. They got a week off, they rested, But now they're in the playing game. You know now, you know, you know I had enough. Wasn't enough enough wasn't enough? And I say this, Pat, you gotta understand Patt is in the driver's seat. Okay, we don't have to trade. We don't have to trade, and you still under contract. Understand you want to get traded. But you still got to go out there and not jeopardize games. You should have one legged shot in the corner. When have you seen Jimmy Buler shoot a one legged shot in the corner? Okay? Another thing with you know, and you see him pass the ball when he's supposed to come off of pick and roll. He passed it to the defender. You know, it was just And I say this, and I said, have worded differently. People think that Pat sent the a ten page letter for a film. I'm saying that if you want to question what Pat did and suspended him, Pat has a ten page letter or a ten page whatever he's gonna have and film to send to you and show you what he's talking about and why he suspended him. Okay, and you go from there. Patt is always ready. Patt is always ready. That's why he didn't do nothing with that Dame Louis trade. You know, I'm not giving up, Bam. I'm not giving up. He wrote, I am not giving them young boys up no matter what. Okay, And it got a benefit it It gotta benefit the Heat. And that's what they don't understand. If it don't benefit the Heat, Pat is not going to do it. And and and Jimmy needs to just go out there and play, and his agent needs to just be cool. And everybody needs to just go out there and play. And if you want to trade, it will happen. But you got to go out there and and and and obey your contract because you still under contract. That's what I say.
Speaker 1: Jimmy is back playing today. Yeah, he's back playing. So say he do go out there and play? And he go out there and play, well, he looked like Jimmy dad was taking the Miami Heat to the NBA Finals. Is there a possibility that they commend this or is it off?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: What Jimmy said to Pat in his faith, he wants to get traded. He wants to get out of there. I think it's over. I don't think there's no patching up because he told him in his faith what he wants. He wants to be traded. But Pa is like, I don't want Bradley Bill. He came, they came out and said, I don't want Bradley Bill. I don't want to take on that contract, you know. So he's gonna have to find something that benefits him in the mind heat and him and Mickey are on the same page.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: If it gets out of hand, then they can sit him down and say, look, just stay at home. We'll pay you. And and I don't believe me. I don't believe he gonna opt out of fifty two million.
Speaker 1: I don't die money, don't.
Speaker 4: I triple dog dare you?
Speaker 1: That's a lot of you know, And the problem is if you opt out of the fifty two, it's hard for another team to just come and outright pay you fifty two million dollars. They got to have a max contract, a super max slot. It's hard to find that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: People don't be understanding these.
Speaker 3: Rules and a collective bargaining, you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying exactly, Like, it's hard for a team to just come and be like, oh, yeah, we're gonna give you forty million dollars, Like it'd be hard to create that type of cash space, especially with this new second aprin I don't think people understand that it's tough even with the trade. Like everybody's saying, like, yo, you know he gonna get traded.
Speaker 2: It's like he's hard.
Speaker 1: Hard to trade a guy to make fifty two million dollars a year, like you gotta give up. For instance, if you look at our roster, say say you want to trade, Say you want to trade for Jimmy with the least with the least amount of players that you could on our roster. That means either you gotta trade Jimmy straight up for Steph or you have to trade Jimmy for me and wigs. And it's like, right, So I don't think you're going to do that. So then now you start looking at you gotta trade like five guys one guy. Then exactly then you start getting into where you need a third team because now you've got a clarossals it's hard to trade. And then also another thing is people don't understand in this league when you start talking trades, it's great players don't get traded, right right, Like that just don't happen. Like great players in their prime, you don't get traded.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's gonna be difficult, man, it's gonna be diff difficult, you know, And like I said, I wish everybody gets their money. Wish everybody gets their money and be happy. But it's gonna be hard. It's going to be hard.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard. It's hard. It's hard to find the team that needs you to get over the hump. Don't have the cap space. That's it.
Speaker 3: So if that's true, if they were to make a move for you, then they got to debunk everything that they build up towards to fit you in the buzzle. And so I don't see it happening either, I do. I mean, I let us see him get his money. But you know that's a good st Miami got a good squad, right him and Pat They ain't gonna really see either eye. Some gonna have to go, but you know, he gonna have to play his way back into who he is to get his value back.
Speaker 4: And you lend your teammates down, man, You land your teammates down. Man. That your teammates they need, they want you, they want you to play, they want you to be there. There's been a lot of disgruntled people that was upset with management, alle Michael George, but he made it work, you know, he made it work. You know, it's plain assistance, you know, but you Kobe, Yeah, Kobe, he made it work. He made it work, you know. So yeah, I mean, I mean, you can make it work. It's up to Jimmy. I still think it could work, man, I still think it could work if you know your your team. The team I think you know, he rode bam and those guys have to come to Jimmy and be like, yo, Jimmy, man, we need you. Man, just just come out here and just play and let the chips fall away. He's gonna fall because if if if you do what you say you're capable of doing, and if you play, got a chance. You got a chance. You know, I'm gonna tell you this, Boston is scattered, Jimmy. They don't want to see Jimmy play. They man walk gets scattered Jimmy. In fact, Jimmy coming I watched the games all the time. He'd be out there abusing folks. They scared of his defense, They scared his offense. They scared him thinking, you know, making plays. Uh, they just scared of him. So I mean, if he plays and if he writes, everything is cool with them. Yeah, and you got a young hero. That's healthy. Now, that's healthy, that's looking at itself. All started being all started ship. Yeah, you know, I mean they got some pieces and they and they you know, they ate nine and if Jimmy comes and play, they go. If they win six in a row, they right there, five four.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly where you want to be. Before I want to we want to talk to you just about being an NBA father. But before we do, and just speaking of the heat years, I'm sorry to do this, but do you remember when b D dunked on you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Everybody, everybody everybody.
Speaker 1: Shop Blockers get dunked, though not cards shot, blockers get tuned.
Speaker 4: I went for it. I thought I could get it, you know, I thought I could jump a little bit high.
Speaker 2: You know you you you know you in the gave you in the game.
Speaker 4: You know hey hey, yeah, yeah, they happened. You know it happened. You know. That was the elbow. He remembered the elbow that.
Speaker 1: You got walked away like.
Speaker 4: You need to catch me slipping slipping. I thought I could get my least wasn't as high as yours.
Speaker 1: To the best of it. I got some bad ones too. I got some real bad one j dunked on me so bad. I pushed him down.
Speaker 4: Everybody. Everybody gonna get dunked on't. Everybody gonna shoot the air ball. Everybody gonna shoot a brick. Everybody gonna turn the ball over. That's basketball. Everybody gonna get shook. Everybody gonna get shook.
Speaker 2: The thing.
Speaker 3: The thing is, people nowadays are afraid of that, So you don't you don't have you know, moments where it's you know, uh a changing other guards right to that hierarchy, Like, damn, this dude been bullying me. We ain't got past the playoffs because I gotta overcome Jmond and whatever he thinks.
Speaker 2: He got psychologically against me.
Speaker 3: That's always been the thinking order and the pedigree of the NBA. And nowadays guys are running away from the real fame. Like you don't see superstars challenging each other, right, they guard the other dude on the team, right, So they're running from the charge. You know, they coming in to take a charge. Seventh, But I used to hate when big dudes take charges.
Speaker 4: I used to yeah, a charge for.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you a guy that don't get a lot of recognition that was a bad motherfucker. Kevin john Oh my god, all right, me and Kevin Johnson, we we we played against each other. I guarantee you neither of them, neither one of us got a full night's sleep because we because we knew what was gonna go down the next day, we was gonna go Outstand, we stuck each other. I'm not you switch 'all on, Dan, No, I'm getting over pick. I'm staying in front of him. Try to say, I'm gonna try to stay in front of him. All right, I'm gonna try not to get crossed over, you know, left and right. I'm trying not to get dunked on because he was dunked on you. You know, you know, I know he couldn't make threes. You know he started making three that the end of his career and stuff like that. But I'm gonna tell you this man that was a bad motherfucker. That was a bad motherfucker. A lot of people, a lot of people don't know how bad Kevin Johnson was. That motherfucker. Man, he was fucking tongue. Gary Payne, Gary Payne, Ship, We used to go at each other. Ship, Roger Strickly get enough credit man. We Harry Porter, some motherfucker.
Speaker 2: That was dog.
Speaker 4: Straight, dog man. A lot of people don't understand that. And we had to come with it every night, every fucking night. Yeah, you know, you know, now you probably take that off while you know. I'm not. You know, I'm just gonna it's gonna be a cruise here. It's gonna be a cruise that shed not in the West, not back then.
Speaker 1: Right, was really like the Clippers.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I'm not. I'm not gonna do that to my man, Mark Jack because you know, Mark was there. Mark was there when I was with the Warriors, so he was there.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was competitive, just nobody was finished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody was no crowd to get him over there over the edge.
Speaker 4: And they're playing at U s C. They're playing at US. I'm gonna tell you something. I'm gonna tell you something USC. Back then their core was so bad, man. So you had to you only have to have a slipknot. You had to have a wet towel, a wet towel so you get some crip on there. Every time mother scrub pass and get they on, they foot on the wet toule so they can get some grip and another thing. And you know how you like now if you passed the ball Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards back then the Wizards. But but uhh, when you throw the ball, and you know if you if you throw away a bounce pass, that motherfucker skid. So you gotta know how to bounce past. And I'm going to tell you this. I played in the Boston Guard when the first I was rookie playing in the Boston Guard. So Nellie said, Yo, dribble the ball. We used to go to you know where it was bad spots from Boston Guard. Just dribble the ball, drive the ball. And it was a dead spot right up under the rim. It was like two or three dead spots right up front of the rim. And Dee Brown was sticking me and he fondled me right to that fucking dead spot. And I was dribbling and the ball stayed down and I thought I was still dribbling and he was laying the ball up. Nelly called the time out and he said, didn't we go over there this morning? I said yeah, I said, but I wasn't. He said, why wasn't you thinking? He was funnling you right there. I told you that. That's why we was dribbling the ball so you can know the dead spot. Yeah, I said, okay. He said, I'm tired of him. My fucking bad. I said, okay, what you want me to say, I'm not gonna do it no more. I said, I'm not gonna do it no more. But Nelly was mad because you know, he played at the with Balls one championship. He had all the people there and all this and all that. He cuts me out so bad when I hit that desk. But I was like, wow, I won't go that. I won't go that way no more.
Speaker 2: Was spontaneous mad.
Speaker 3: It'd be your best friend mans stout.
Speaker 4: They cut you out. And you know, Nelly was always trying to change the rules. That's why the rules of change. Now you know the ruts. I'm gonna tell you why the rules of change. Nelly knew Dirk and Winsky couldn't stick nobody, so he got the rules changed so they could plays own. If you think about it, if you think about it, he can always try the rules.
Speaker 3: We insed to practice how to finesse the rules the out of balls playing.
Speaker 2: When you get out to those out of balls on the sideline.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he finessed every rule that we could to get out of betage.
Speaker 4: Every day we went over there. We used to go with, y'all think we could do this, Uh, I don't know. Let's let's try it. Let's try it. Let's try it one time. Yeah, let's trying one time. We go over there and shooting around. We tried to shoot around, and you know, he said, you know what, We're gonna try that at the time out. We're gonna try and.
Speaker 7: And teams will be like, what are y'all doing?
Speaker 2: Right, what are y'all doing?
Speaker 1: Nellie doing?
Speaker 3: Fanessor Hey, He'll make you one boy, the dude in front of like you're taking the ball out of bounds, and I'll be.
Speaker 2: Walking towards you and I act like somebody pushed me out of bounce around.
Speaker 4: Nellie Nellie. Nellie said, every time you go to the basket, just yell. They give you a call. And I was like, I'm from Chicago. I don't yell. We just go to the basket. We take to hear, you know. And that's why that's why I got to yelling and stuff. Oh wow, Oh that ship works.
Speaker 2: Works is.
Speaker 1: Speaking of all the guys. You was just talking about you gotta we have a penny on Penny gave a top five point guard the top Penny gave a top five. Yeah, point guard list you got, you got your top five PG list.
Speaker 4: Man, shoo, I'm gonna tell you this, man, it's hard to just pick. Oh you know, I'm gonna tell you that the person that just a guy that just passed away yesterday that nobody knows about the wizard.
Speaker 7: The wizard man, Hey one man, fat.
Speaker 4: You talking about Dennis Johnson. You talked about uh Nate the skate art. It's it's a lot of my fun who I mean that could really hoop man. But you know, uh, girl watching this guy and Isaiah Thomas, girl watching them pattern my game after him? Uh uh uh Isaiah Thomas that that's that's number one. Uh you know, you know, I'm gonna say that, what is Alan Iris? And was he a two? Was he a one?
Speaker 2: He was a two? Two?
Speaker 4: See that that's the thing, you know, you know, that's the thing. So do we rate him as a point guard? Do we rate him as a as an off guard? You know, yeah, he's a two? Okay, So you know, definitely Isaiah that no right that that my god, the ship that he used to do and all. It was ridiculous that six nine?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 2: Uh? Uh?
Speaker 4: Who else?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: Myself?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Okay, Steph, no question, Steph, no question.
Speaker 2: That's four.
Speaker 4: And I'm won't say this was the Wayne Wade A one.
Speaker 2: Or two too. He came in as the one.
Speaker 4: Though he came in as the one, for sure he did. But he but he like after that too. Okay? Uh? Who else? Uh got four?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Doctor, you know, I gotta go with my man naked escape. I gotta go with skate. I gotta go with skate skate with man to for three years in a row to add average, I mean to lead the lead and scoring and three in a row.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, skate man.
Speaker 1: He spoke about being from Chicago. We all heard about the Chicago runs. Uh. I had the opportunity to go to a couple of them in my day, which is after the heyday of them. But Bron recently was talking the other day about getting on the court with MJ being there. I was there. He was guardiable and I know you were there.
Speaker 2: I was there, So I want to know what.
Speaker 1: He really as unguardable, as he said he was the other day and the clip that he was talking about being unguardable in that pickup game.
Speaker 4: You're talking about Mike unguardable.
Speaker 1: No, was Bron as unguardable as he's Bron said he was unguardable that day he got out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I was listening to Maverick. He was talking about Lebron being at there. We wanted to see what he had and what he could do. He didn't do it all the time because he had he had broke his wrist and he and it was like it was like a week after his he took the cast off. He came in, he was playing and he came down a fast break and we thought he was gonna pass. The motherfucker took off from a brief throw. Mind, he just took off. He missed. He missed, but the motherfucker said too h. I mean, just like that. We we thought he was gonna pass. It was it was a three or two. We thought he was gonna pass, and it was like in slow motion. The motherfucker just took off and I was like, damn, and he just missed and the boss sipped out of his hand. He missed, but I said, you know, that's incredible, that's incredible. I mean for a sixteen seventeen year old kid to come in and do some shit like that, and he was making shots, playing defense, passing the ball. You could feel his press, You feel his press. You knew that he was going to be that motherfucker in the NBA. You knew that. That's wow.
Speaker 1: So for everybody out there who say Brian be lying about all these stories, he told want to and you know right here he ain't hold nobody, nobody, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no was he was real. He was real that sixteen seventy, that thing was seventeen eighteen whatever. Uh he was real. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And talk about you know, Isaiah Thomas being your favorite player. We got a clip where you hit him with the UTAH. I need to know one that moment. But also the resonation of the UTUB two step. How did that come about?
Speaker 4: Well, it came about because everybody'd be like, you know, we had games in Chicago and I didn't like going out because that's when people started shooting up places and backyards and all that type of stuff and gang you know, umbles following you in cars and you know, all this time it was crazy. It was wild. So I'm still in high school and so uh, I just used to work on my game. I had an unfinished basement downstairs. We didn't have shit, we didn't have computers. We had three camels on the TV. Yeah, we had we had three channels on the TV. And it got stale. So I used to go downstairs and I had two beams and I just used to work on behind the bad dribbles, spin moves, in and out moves, crossover playing like it was like a eight foot ceiling. I used to make labs come coming down doing some stuff and just just working on my game downstairs for about an hour. And it was you know, it was cold outside. You need to go outside. So I'm just out there working on my just working on ball hands. So that's where my ball handling came in. Then I used to go outside during the summer and play against the guys outside and we used to have this uh uh on the sidewalk. It was like if you could steal a ball from a person, it was like four people and I used to drive between four or five people over this GalF and and if you go on the grass, that's out of the ball.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 4: I need to control motherfuckers, push motherfuckers off, and just do all that type of stuff. I used to go back and forth for about three or four times, and then I like, I get it stole. Just so you know, game go on and ship like that. I have the friends that I should. I uh uh, you know, work on my ship right, yeah, if you want to know, yeah, so so on. I want to go to the idea. My coach took me out. I was I was in sixth grade. Uh no, seventh grade. Coach took me out of school. He said, we want an amphitheater. He said, I want you to check out number eleven. I said, all right, say Jose, I'm checking them out, like wow, myself cold on my mind and stuff. He said, what you think? I said, keep cold blood. He's nice. And he said you play like him. I said, this fuck out of here. I said, oh, you know what, I'm bad. I'm sorry, said I'm sorry. I said, you know I don't play like him, he said, he said. He said, I'm going to tell you something. You played just like him. You got the confidence like him, you control the team like him, you make shots like him. You do all the things that he's doing right now, just in seventh grade. And at that particular time when he told me that, I started watching Isaiah and pattern in my game. When he went to Indiana, I steady watched him. Steady watched them and this pattern in my game. After they came back for some league, watched them. Love. I knew, knew they scheduled, knew when he was gonna play. I'm there an hour ahead of time. I'm in the front row watching him play, you know. And so and so he kept in touch with me. Somebody told him about me, and we was at a high school summer league game and we playing and they said, yeah, we got a surprise, y'all whoever make the final four. You know the teams they come in and we got a special guest player. And somebody told me, and I told my team. I said, I don't know what y'all gonna do, but I'm gonna be here every game and I'm making the final four. I'm making finding for And Isaiah came in there and talked. And after he talked, everybody's like, you know, everybody's about to say, hey, Tim Hartley, let me talk to you. You want to talk to me. He's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. He talked to me and said, yeah, somebody told me that you've been patting your game after me. I've been checking you out. I've been keeping tabs on you and stuff like that. And I was just blown away. He just said, keep doing what you're doing. Go to school, get your education. You know, I don't know if you're gonna make it or nothing like that, but he said, just just use basketball, get your education. And but you're playing well, man, and keep up good work and keep your confidence and keep playing. Said okay, and and so and so and so we came to Detroit my rookie year. He came to pick me up at the hotel and went to his house, had pregave meal, and on the drive back to the hotel, I'm like, time am. I'm gonna tell this man. I appreciate you, uh taking me to your house and feed me, but uh, I'm still gonna bust your ass. And so so before I got it out, he said, now you know, because you know I can't you know, took you out for free game, mail to the house and everything and talk to you. I hope you don't take it easy. I was like, you know what, I was gonna, I was gonna. I've been trying to figure out how Yeah, I'm not gonna take me. He said, that's what I want to hear. And we we played. We beat him here too, and uh in Detroit and uh yeah, man, I always wanted to play against him, man, And uh, it's like the highlight of your whole career when we played. Yes that dude, and man, man it is is. I know how you feel, Barren, but man, it was it was it was like wow, I mean, there's one of those moments.
Speaker 1: It was one of those moments become rivals.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: We can't thank you enough. Oh g that was incredible just hearing the story. You always welcome on here. You ever need somebody somewhere to pop up ship, you can always come here.
Speaker 4: Man. I appreciate it. I love I love hearing y'all, y'all keep it as real as it love y'all watching y'all, and and and both of y'all, both of y'all. People they need to listen to you all more, you know, people be like, yeah, Dremond, he needs to be quiet. This and that bub little body and that. I'm like, he's telling the truth though, what'll I said, Barren, tell the truth? I mean, what what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: I don't understand y'all. Y'all want people to tell the truth. But y'all mad that they tell the truth.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't understand that. But but but y'all keep doing what you all doing, man, and keep uh inspiring inspiring these kids. They they only listen to me so much. Dre. They listening to you because you out there doing it, Barring. They listen to you because you you you you just removed and so they can relate to you. And plus you got an AAU team and you're out there doing your thing. Weether y'all keep inspiring these kids, man. And I tell these kids with the nil money, now, what is the rush? You're going to the NBA?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 4: Get all, Why don't you work on your game to perfection so when you come in, you don't have to play in the G league.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 4: You come in, you could be ready right away, exactly. Listen to a lot of these kids don't want to listen to the college coach. College coach. That's what we did. We listen to our coach. We respect our We listen to our coaches. That's why we made. That's why that's why it was easy for us, Yes, because because we listened and we understood what they were saying. They think that you hating on me. It's criticism. You don't like me and this and that. That's why they transfer stay there, take adversity looking in the eye and say you're gonna get better. That's what you'll doing with these kids today.
Speaker 2: And I can appreciate you. It's amazing you much love.
Speaker 4: Don't let Baron David tell you about two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: That's coming out on tape they did. They did it's dirty with the commercial.
Speaker 1: I know you no.
Speaker 2: I can just imagine breaking.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow. It wasn't nice. It wasn't nice, it wasn't cool. It wasn't cool.
Speaker 1: We appreciate your I'll be looking for that as a left.
Speaker 4: See all at all Star. Yes, sir, the healthy great, Yes, sir, thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I see you at All Star.
Speaker 2: No doubt the volume