Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The thrill and excitement of March Mania is here. It's one of the best three four week periods in sports in America every single year, and Draftking Sportsbook, one of America's best top rated sportsbook apps, is giving fans a chance to bet just five dollars and win one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bets with a college basketball bet. You download the Draft King Sportsbook app takes ninety seconds. You put in the code column that's me Coli in New customers bet five bucks for a chance to win one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bets only at Draftking Sportsbook only with the code callin col I n The crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and WY or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See dkang dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: All right, as is customary. It's Sunday night, John middle Coffin. I chop it up for about an hour, mostly things NFL. I will say is I was in Chicago over the weekend, my favorite, really really downtown area in North America. There's other cities I like. But I was dancing at midnight with my wife last night, so you know, if i'm a little if I'm a little uneven today we tied one on last night.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 2: I slept on the plane and got by the way American Airlines. I'll say it again. I flew it again, John, I'm gonna have I'm going to have an Marolina Fair. I was a Delta guy forever, Third flight American. What do you fly by the way.
Speaker 1: Well, the West Coast I usually go Southwest, but it go across country, usually American or United. But you know, from Scottsdale to Sacramento to the Bay Area to southern the Southwest, it's just a couple hundred bucks in and out. You hop on the plane go. You're not there long. I never check a bag. I also tied one on. But it started in the day I went to the Dodger game. You talk about I mean, Colin, I heard you mentioned this the other day. You go to a Dodger game. Otani didn't even play. I mean, they are an all star team. There had to be twenty thousand people there. You're waiting twenty five minutes for margarita. The vibes at spring training, for these teams, especially the Dodgers, it's a remarkable experience. It was fun. Now the guys, you know, Mookie Bets and those guys come out after five or six innings. But talk about a guy. I mean, they got Otani who pitches and hits, Mookie Bets plays second shortstop and all the outfield positions.
Speaker 2: And then there's Freddy Freeman. And I looked at their real good Yeah, I looked there at their lineup. I think yesterday their spring lineup, and I listened to the Dodgers here here in Southern California radio, and I was I had a guest on recently we talked about that. I don't know if it helps baseball, but just in terms of lineup, it's got a nineteen seventy five Cincinnati Reds when it was Rose Morgan, Foster, Johnny Bench, Tony Peresling. There's just all stars everywhere. Now it all comes down, as you know in baseball, it all comes down to the healthier staff. If your stiff staff can't get out, it doesn't matter how many guys position players are great. But no, I had a guy in my staff, Greg Towhey, big big baseball fan, his kids played baseball. He said he went to a Podres game. Potres have an all star team, they got big names. Walked right in Dodgers. Minute he came in to sitting down was like a forty five minute experience.
Speaker 1: Crazy, was an absolute zoo. It felt like now they share with the White Sox and you can go with spring training and watch people practice. I mean they got eighteen fields out there. It fell out like fifty thousand people in the parking lot like an SEC football game or something. It was. It was quite the exc I went to a Dodger game last year and it felt I would say, two three x the buzz, you know, just the vibes. Otani didn't even play, and you never know in spring when a guy's gonna play or not, so you just kind of show up hoping a lot of Tani jerseys. I mean, you talk about that guy moves the needle. Listen football. You see all the money flowing in this sport. Every team has it. In baseball, obviously there's the haves and the have nots. Yeah, I grew up a big Giants guy. I'm supposed to hate these guys. They are a well run operation right now.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers, well, think about this too. They average seven The Dodgers averaged seven thousand more people per game than any other team. And they're not charging Cincinnati Red prices for beer. I go to a Dodger game every year it is and again it is the base.
Speaker 1: Dollars for margarita yesterday. What am I gonna do? Not pay? I want to I want a cocktail.
Speaker 2: They are They're just a bank and then they push all this money down the road. So yeah, I mean they've they've kind of done the ultimate. It's like moneyball, but with real money, like it moneyball. They've kind of figured out how to work the system. So let's let's start with this. So mac Jones only goes for a six round pick, So first of all, it's it's seventy five percent of first round quarterbacks don't make it very rarely. Sam Darnold got a second team to start for justin Fields. May you know Mac Jones isn't I thought it was a little low. If Trey Lance goes for a four and I'm not sure he can play at all? I kept thinking to myself. So Mac Jones was a high school All American quarterback, college All American quarterback and Rookie of the Year is first year, how much of it is the dude can't play? And how much of it is this was a bad spot with a coach that appeared to be tone deaf to offense and a little bit of a grudge holder. Do you think he can play at all?
Speaker 1: Well? I was never a fan, and that goes back to when the four in terms of drafting him really high, because when you draft a guy in the top fifteen, you got to pay him a decent amount of money. There are a lot of variables of this, and first off, I like this deal for the Jags six round pick for a backup quarterback. It makes two and a half million dollars. He got traded for less than Trey Lance, though, and he's accomplished way more than Trey Lance as a full time starter in the league. Because his contract, right, he's they're not gonna pick up his fifth year option, which is going to be well over twenty million dollars, So you're basically just trading for one year of his services and then you never know, maybe Trevor Lawrence gets hurt and he's good and you get, you know, strike oil. I was thinking about this today though, Colin, and this is why I'm a big believer when you draft guys really high. There is no such thing as a high floor. It doesn't exist. Right, Like this guy, he's gonna be Kirk Cousins, or maybe he's just not gonna be that good. Right. It's why I had no problem taking big swings on Zach Wilson and Trey Lance because the likelihood of the guy you're trying to hit a home run no matter what at best Mac Jones was always going to be a stand up double, maybe rounding second looking at third, but he was never even gonna be a triple. His best case scenario is going to be a friend top ten quarterback, and that's if everything went perfectly. And I don't know, I just I think it's very telling that girod Meo is a former player, spent a lot of time around Tom Brady has been there. This whole Mac Jones experience, It's clear, like I don't want this guy around. Let's face it. Part of mac Jones was, Okay, he's gonna be like Cousins or Jared Goff. What do those guys have in space character focus? This guy was kind of viewed pretty immature right that That to me was a huge red flag that I didn't quite see coming. But that came to rust really quick with some of his like come on, Mack, let's let's get it together.
Speaker 2: But well, I mean, listen, Jay Cutler was really gifted and he wore people out. I mean, Jay's the best Bear quarterback in a long time in J one games. But at the end, people just didn't like Jay Cutler. They were just they just I mean, Aaron Rodgers. Green Bay said, yeah, hit the road. I mean that's essentially what Green Bay did at the end. So if you don't have Jay Cutler or Aaron Rodgers gifts and you are just I mean, you can go back and look at his first year. Listen, he is a kid that played sort of in a pro offense down in Alabama with really good people, where so you can argue Obama had better players than offensively at least skill position players than New England. I don't even think that's that's not even ll He's.
Speaker 1: Played with four wide receivers. He got drafted the top fifteen, so and.
Speaker 2: I think what happens is but his personality. People put up with a lot of shit. If you're gifted, it could be our business, it could be the NFL. If you're not gifted, you got to be most That's why most of these quarterbacks are good guys, because this league just doesn't This is not the NBA. There's no nine year contracts like baseball, and in the NBA, where marginal guys have no cut deals, you just you seea hit the road if you're not a stand up guy. And I think Mac came with a reputation that he was a bit of a brand. I was told by somebody I trust. I was told this last year, and this is somebody that is a great source. He said, you couldn't coach him hard. You just couldn't coach him hard. Brady got annoyed with it after about fifteen twenty years of it. But you could coach him hard like Mack, you couldn't. He pouted, petty, and there was just you know, he just that's what I heard. And when I heard that, I'm like, well, that's the wrong culture. That's all they do in New England. But he came from that in Alabama. It's not like Nick Saban was holding his hand right. So I think Bill always felt comfortable drafting an urban guy, drafting a Saban guy, because those coaches were in their players, you know, in their face twenty four to seven, three sixty five. And it turns out, listen, we can make excuses for Mac a couple of years ago with the Patricia Joe Judge embarrassment and it was but last year he had Bill O'Brien and he constantly was throwing the ball to the other team. In confidence is a powerful thing for any young person. Yeah, he clearly lost it. But like you said, Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers throw a better ball at their left hand.
Speaker 1: He doesn't. He doesn't have a very good on I'd say, historically, a guy with his physical attributes average athlete at best, very average arm forever, just because you played it a big time program, A lot of people those type quarterbacks typically didn't get drafted that high. I think he's a third or fourth round quarterback in the history of the draft. But these last what do you think five to six? The quarterback inflation, And let's face it, Bill was really desperate. He had no backup plan. Hell, even when Tom left, he had to sign Cam in the summer. So Mack did he truly want mac or did he just need a quarterback? And three years later the other thing, And we talked about this a lot. The clock in football now is rapid. This is not I'm giving you four or five years second later, buddy, Thanksgiving second year.
Speaker 2: I've been told by Thanksgiving by the second year, so you've got about if you started your first year, you get about twenty six starts. You're around there. People are making decisions upstairs, they're raising their hand or that's why the Daniel Jones. Thing is a mystery because I think one person raised their hand and it was the owner. I don't think anybody else in the room wanted it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's why that, you know, the Steelers get talked about right now should they be Obviously they meeting with Russell Wilson, who maybe they're a sleeper to sniff around on Kirk Cousins. It's insane, like they already kind of know what Kenny Pickett has in the bag and it's not great. And mac Jones is worse than that because Kenny Pickett at least can move, yes, right, Brock Purdy can move like you gotta be able. And that's why I was like adamant Kyle Shanahan, you cannot draft this guy high because his the root the margin for error with him, like the margin for err with the physically gifted guys. Even Jalen hurts like he can play bad and its still his numbers look pretty good because physically he's pretty gifted. Could throw the ball, he throws a beautiful deep ball, can run the Herberts like mac Jones had never sniffed those guys physical attributes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he you know, people have rolled their eyes. You know, at the Tom Brady footage, Dad bod but at least Brady was in looked like he was in shape. They're pictures of mac Jones. He just looks pudgy and dowe and soft.
Speaker 1: It's bad. By the way, we'll.
Speaker 2: Touch on this easy pivot here to deflate Gate. So I'm through eight episodes, so you know, it's obviously leans more Craft family than it does Belichick, who you know. Listen, Bill ticked off a lot of people over the years, There's no question about that, and there's a price to pay for it. But the one thing I came out after watching episode eight, if Mahomes had a defensive coach who almost felt like he was had a grudge once Garoppolo, once Craft stepped in, Remember Tom went to Kraft and said get Jimmy g out of here. It almost felt like the relationship changed. Bill was pissed at Tom resented it. You know, you can see Bill like the old parcels I'm cooking the dinner. I want to have the groceries, and mostly Bill did. But that was the one time Craft stepped in and said, no, get him out. Even though Brady won the Super Bowl in Atlanta, it was almost a hostility toward Brady, And you know, I was thinking Mahomes is more gifted. But if you gave Mahomes a defensive coach that didn't know anything, didn't know the language, especially early in his career, I don't know. I think my takeaway after episode eight is Tom's resilience is remarkable. He got the verbal shit kicked out of him for twenty years, and at the end, because of the Garoppolo move is by hunch. Bill was just not nice to him, Like all those rings and all that money and that legacy and you're not getting that with ninety nine percent.
Speaker 1: Of the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Is that I thought to myself, Christ, if I had a boss like that, I wouldn't last twenty years. I just it's bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're natural, and I've defended Bill through the last couple months of him not getting a job, which I still think is insanity. But if you're a natural curmudgeon, angrier, negative guy, as you get older, you usually don't get happier. I also think listen society and the world we live in when it comes to sports. Because of the money the power of the superstar has, football is never going to quite be the NBA. But Jalen Hurts talks to Howie Roseman, Patrick Mahomes, text with Veach and Andy all the time. And I'm not talking during the sea I'm talking in the offseason. You know. One of the big parts of ty Dunn's article was like, God, Sean, you need to work a little more with Josh Allen. Yes, right, this is could you want to Why wouldn't you want some of their opinions and be on the same page as them. You go as they go. So I think that's at the forefront of kind of the world we're in right now with quarterbacks in their front office. You want to be tied at the hip and be I would say, just your relationship is much more unique than all the other players who still have the old school a little bit of a widget like if you're not playing, we'll get rid of you, we can replace you. You know, beside what fifty players in the NFL, the Aaron Donalds, the Trent Williams, But they're few and four between. Most guys I've been in these meetings, you're constantly talking, can we upgrade here? Is this guy worth the money? Can we draft a guy in the second round to get ninety percent of the value, and in three years he's way cheaper. But the quarterback is not that spot. It's why you see, you know, Baker Mayfield get a lot of money because what else are they gonna do. Kirk Cousin's gonna get a ton of money that position. You know, Bill, he became a star right in the eighties. I mean you I don't remember it, but obviously his game plans against Bill Walsh. It was a different time. I mean, Bill Walsh was always trying to get rid of Joe Montana, Bill Parcells, you know, him and Phil Simms were discreaming at each other constantly that the quarterback was viewed as an equal. Even with Montana. It's like, well, next man up his back, go Steve, you're in. And it's just and that was kind of the world he grew up on where I think Andy was right at that time in the nineties. The power of FARV I think just looks at it a lot differently. Yes, And that's why you think, and you've been saying this for the transition of this timing for him, it's just it's the ultimate, it's perfect right. He's made for this era of foot, he's why he's kicking everybody's ass.
Speaker 2: No, he really is the you know, and the dynasty is.
Speaker 1: The other thing.
Speaker 2: My takeaway is that, holy shit, the most unforgotten play in the history of Super Bowls. People just forget about this because of the Malcolm Butler interception. People forget that Seattle was dead. Russell Wilson throws it up the right sideline, the announcers.
Speaker 1: Ounce off the guy's leg and it's like the greasy It's like, I mean, it really is.
Speaker 2: It's almost the equal to Edelman's catch, but Edelman's catches as it should be noteworthy winning team because of Malcolm Butler's play moments later, if New England would have lost that Super Bowl, they had it done. Seattle was at midfield, it was over, it was well defended. So one of the things I like about sports documentaries is you forget a lot of these stories inside the stories. If they talked about how Belichick wouldn't call a time out because they were watching Russell Wilson look unorganized on the field and Bill's sitting there watching him. He's like, I'm not bailing these guys out. I'm just gonna sit here. And I had heard that story before, but I will say this to people on the flake gate, whether you like the Patriots or not, there is there's storytelling, and it's fascinating to hear these players talk and that I appreciated. All Right, let's let's move to Baker Mayfield. It's three years, one hundred million dollar deal, fifty guaranteed. It feels a little bit like the Daniel Jones contract, where it's probably closer to fifty million to one hundred million. Your thought on the fit the contract again, I I don't have a pride. Again, this is not the division with Mahomes and Herbert. That's not what we're talking about here. I think I think it makes sense to me. I think he's actually, you know, he's a little bit of a loose, a little bit of a he's got a little bit of a pirate feel to him, right, like he's he's one of those guys that he's got a chip on his shoulder.
Speaker 1: I think the fit works. Thoughts when the season ended, I would have guessed like three year, sixty million and guarantee forty or fifty, so that the guarantee would have been similar. But the average, right, you could push back and say, the average per year a little overrated. It's all about the guarantee for money, and when you factor in so many teams, like you're telling me the Raiders wouldn't have given him a similar number just to kind of get there. You know, an operation like that, get a guy you know can function. We were talking about this before you hopped on. I think the division plays a huge part where you feel good. I was talking to Jason Light at the combine. They feel very comfortable with Baker. I think Baker, like you said, feels very comfortable in their operation. They have a lot of star players, yeah, who really like him. That matters, right, Like why do the forty nine ers have so much trust in party? Obviously he plays well. Their star corps trusts them, likes being around them. They value that. Tristan Wurf's win Field, Mike Evans, they rally around Baker Mayfield. So that's worth You could argue ten twenty percent over what you'd like to pay right away. That's right, And this is really a worst case scenario. It's a two year deal. Look who he's playing. David Tepper is a fantastic stock trader. He's a god awful NFL owner right, that operation is in shambles. The Saints have Derek Carr, Dennis Allen, and we'll see like cousins if he ends up at Atlanta, which a lot of people think. He is coming off in Achilles with an operation that hasn't really been winning in the last six so their players don't even know how to win. That's the one thing Jason Light talked about. Baker got to come in here with a chip. We have a lot of guys who spent the three years around Tom, so we have the winning culture here with our star guys. Like these guys have been in huge games for three years and they just rillied around Baker. I think if you watch Baker in the right day in the playoff game, awesome. I watched him a lot during the year and like, I'm not really seeing it, say new offensive coordinator. Now, I get it. Little rich for my taste, but totally understandable. What were they gonna do? Let them walk. They're drafting in the mid twenties. They don't have any other options.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think there is something to be said about Baker got you know, a little bit of the crap beat out of him by the media in Cleveland. And I do think he's matured. I really do. I think Baker's grown up, and I think he's one of the things I've always said about Baker. He's smart, He's great on the whiteboard. He can read a real defense. Sam Donald got a second shot right in Carolina. Baker Mayfield throws a better ball more consistently than Sam Darnald. I don't think he's quite the athlete, doesn't move as well, but he moves okay for me. I think to your point, the division matters. I mean again, I'm not paying Derek Carr. If it's Herbert Harbaugh, Andy Reid Mahomes, I'm really uncomfortable paying him a lot in that division. I mean, the NFC South has been probably the weakest division in football ten in the last twenty years. I mean, it's like the SEC. I don't know what it is. Is there less revenue to fan care less, are the owners not very good. It's just not a very good division. It's just you know some of it too, John his passion. There have been down years, but the Giants have Super Bowls, Washington has super Bowls, the Eagles have super Bowls, you know, I mean all these teams, the Cowboys, Egles, that division cares his college football is irrelevant in the Northeast outside of Akrishan State. I do think in the South, Saturday is such a big day that it's just there's not if you listen to sports talk radio on a Monday, they're not crushing the NFL team there. They're ripping their sec head coach and quarterback. And I do think there's a you know, it just doesn't feel as big. And so that division to me is best quarterback wins it. And this morning, this afternoon, Baker's arguably the best quarterback.
Speaker 1: Well. And one thing, if you're Jason Light and Todd Bowles, you go, well, Baker sneaky bright light sky right Oklahoma three years, excelled a couple of years into Cleveland, played really well that one season and won a playoff game. So you've seen him have success in the league. And then last year had you know, eight to ten really good games for you and played well in the playoff game against the Eagles. And he wasn't terrible in the Lions game by any means. That was kind of an ugly game, but made some plays down the stretching. So you've now seen him in two playoff games, you clearly feel comfortable. You got a year with him studying how hard he prepared you just you go from six point eight five million dollars though to thirty five. You know, do you get the same level of chip on your shoulder? Some guys excel, you know, not everyone's Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods and Tom Brady. They could have a chip on their shoulder till the day they die. Some guys ebb and flow with that a little bit. So I do think there's gonna be some pressure on Baker next year. So everyone was counting him out last year. This year everyone's gonna celebrate him. We'll see. I still think Tampa well, I guess we'll know with Kirk Cousins in the next couple of days. But I'd still give them a very very good shot to win that division when you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's a couple other things to talk about. First of all, the Broncos traded to Jerry Judy, who I always I never Jerry Judy is one of those guys Courtland Sutton I think's a little underrated. I think Courtland's a really good player, and I also think they have a young tight end. I like, they have a back. I like, they got to make some moves here. You know, they're eating money, so they trade Jerry Judy. They cut Justin Simmons. You know, you know, six six months ago, everybody was lamenting how we treat running backs. But Seattle cut two got rid of two good safeties. Justin Simmons for Denver's a really good safety. Nobody wants to pay a safety. So I mean, I think you see what they're doing here. They're like, listen, we've just we got to get we have to get. We have to hit on six draft picks. The only way to make that whole Russell Wilson thing work. And it can you get bo Nicks at twelve, you hit on four to five other draft picks, and it is amazing how you mitigate cap problems.
Speaker 1: You know, you're look at the Rams last year. They had a bunch of cheap talent. It was good. That's a great point. They hit on.
Speaker 2: The tackle was great, both their defensive linemen, the edge and the kid from Wake Forest to eat tackle was good. Outside of the steps and Bennett pick and I think, yeah, everything else worked, pukku, everything else. Everybody was productive. So if Denver goes out and gets a quarterback who's functional, I think Bonix works in their system whether he's great or not. No no, no, or a JJ McCarthy. If he hits and you have, you know, four other picks that play, I think, I don't think it'll hurt him for a year. But I don't think it's one of these death knells. I think that's what's great about this sport. You start accumulating picks. It's a numbers game. You hit on six or seven, you get through stuff like this.
Speaker 1: Well, ultimately, if the Yankee sign of three hundred million dollar contract and the guy sucks by year two, there aren't ramifications because you can keep buying other guys. In football, When you sign one hundred and sixty hundred and seventy million dollars guaranteed deal like they did with Russell Wilson and it's a disaster, there are massive ramifications. There's a tidal wave. So it's the trade. When you look at the collateral damage of the trade, it's not just the pick they gave up to Seattle, which Seattle hit on those guys and the players they gave up. You have to include all these guys they cut right because they had to free some money that they had to be able to breathe. So like I listen, you know, I don't know Sean Payton, but I can't imagine he doesn't want to cut the safety. But Jerry Judy probably would have been traded no matter what. They cut some guys because they have to get money that they need to kind of balance everything out. So to me, the Russell Wilson contract, you saw the title, what these guys getting cut and trader are part of that. The Buffalo Bill same thing to a lighter extent. They gave von Miller fifty five million dollars. It's a disaster that was. So they're cutting all these guys. They're cutting all these guys. Well that the ramification of they can't cut von Miller, it'd be twenty five million dollars on their salary cap. So they got to cut high. They got to cut Poyer, they got to cut the center. They just that's part of the deal. It's why you know these front offices and football is hard because if a guy gets injured. But Von Miller was thirty plus years old, I understand the Russell Wilson deal at the time, but like they're paid to get it right and they got it wrong. And let's face it, they wanted Aaron Rodgers. That was what they did. And then the moment he went back to Green Bay, they were so desperate that they got over aggressive to John Schneider when he's sitting in his hotel room at the Combine George Payton a couple of years ago, and he gave him the farm. John Sneyder tried to trade Russell Wilson, remember in twenty eighteen. He wanted to give him to the Browns to draft Josh Allen and Russell said no. So they made a huge swing and they also and listen, I understand why they did it. They were all in. They didn't have to give him a contract. He was under contract when they traded for him a couple of years, but they wanted to get him up there and they thought he was going to be a star, and it backfired. Think about epic proportions.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting. I'm in the tape business, and I you know, I have strong opinions, but there are times and I always try to I don't ever say anything I don't believe, but the Russell, Wilson, Denver Seahawk, nobody won, Carol got fired. Hackett was a disaster. Russell didn't work. Peyton now is under the gun. Players are getting moved. You think to yourself, well.
Speaker 1: Snyder kind of won, didn't he because he got to take over Seattle.
Speaker 2: That's there you go. John Snyder won, and he hit on those picks. I mean, let's face it, Pete, when Paul Allen died, there was this moment in time that Pete had too much power in the building and like a Belichick, he had too much influence. I was told, but two different people in the building. Over the years, Pete started kind of taking over the draft. John Snyder threatened to go to Detroit, said, there's no what's the point they bring him back? He takes control. The drafts have been great in Seattle since these coaches, you know, they they hate to admit it, but they don't watch football on Saturdays. They're not sitting around on Saturdays watching these Andy Reid will tell you that I'm I don't have time. And so when you all of a sudden you want to be a man the GMS, I know, I mean, I know, Tom Telesco Brett Veach Saturday, they're sitting watching college football for hours. They're going to games. You can't ender late on that stuff and go, well, here's some film. You gotta watch the games.
Speaker 1: Andy told me at the combine and he's done the job head coach GM in Philadelphia, he said, it's not possible anymore. There's too much time or there's not enough time. You're spending too much time on your own team for six months to attempt to catch up, and then when you attempt to catch up, you kind of end up. Most guys probably cut some cornerstead of watching five games on a guy, you got to bang them all out in two months, you're watching one or two games. You don't get a great feel. If you have confidence in a John Schneider, in a Brett Veach, in a less need let them do their job. They spend three hundred and sixty five days even during the season, and I've been in the you know, from Monday through Friday, the general manager will spend some time. He go to practice, evaluate his own team, watch free agents. He also watches draft picks. I'm talking September through December during the week right evaluate him like his scouts are doing monneling him. So by the time the season ends or you get to the playoffs, he's watched probably the top one hundred and fifty two hundred guys on their draft board and has a really good feel for him and has won and has evaluated all the reports on their character. He knows these guys pretty well. Where the coaches come in kind of blind to the combine, meet the kid for the first time, like how about this guy, it's like, well, this guy can't really play. I know he's a great personality, and it kind of gets convoluted that way. So these best organizations are able to kind of split it. Or even if the coach, if he's making twelve to eighteen million dollars, he's the highest paid guy in the organization, but he's willing to give, like, hey, we shouldn't do this coach, and he listens, and anytime that you're not willing to listen, Let's face it happens a lot around the league, but Belichick wouldn't listen to anybody. Yeah, and that that was a huge downfall for him. And he's had really excellent personnel guys throughout his career in the building, but he just won't listen. How he just will not.
Speaker 2: One of his guys, Nick Cesaria Cazario, Casario, Yeah, New England to Houston.
Speaker 1: First draft, he aces, he's rushing. You're rushed it. Okay.
Speaker 2: So let's I thought about this. So you're Russell Wilson. You're a star in the Pacific Northwest, but you're kind of geographically isolated. Then you're going to be the culture center. You're going to be the man in Denver disaster. So he has visited the New York Giants and the Steelers. So I think he's a really good fit with Steelers. He doesn't have to be the culture center. They've got Tomlin. It's an organization that I think has historically drafted and developed pretty well. They have some really nice personnel at wide receiver, running back, tight end. You know, O line is what it is. It's not terrible, it's not great, And you think to yourself, that's a better fit than the Giants. Could I argue this that go look at the Super Bowls, go look at the playoffs. Defensive coaches, they're not getting there? Is that the Giants. You're entering great entry point. It's like being a morning show in a radio station. You don't want to replace Howard Stern. You want to replace like a guy that is awful, and so any success feels big. So the Giants have been irrelevant for about twelve years, roughly one double digit season, twelve years. You have an offensive coach, you have a very good left tackle, you have a star back, but you actually have some pieces. You have a pass rusher, you have a decent defense. I like the GM. Now the coach is a lot, but he is an offensive coach and we have seen him. I think Daniel Jones. I think that he got into the playoffs is a fairly remarkable achievement by any coach. Would you automatically say, if you're Russell, take the Steelers better organization. Now they don't have the same GM they had for years, So it's a whole different ballgame in Pittsburgh now many suggest Giant Steelers. Is it as cut and dried as we think that Pittsburgh's the better fit.
Speaker 1: I would be begging the Steelers to hand me that one year veteran minimum contract assigned. I wouldn't touch the Giants ten foot poll if I was Russell, from the sense of he has no equity in that market. You talked about a pressure cooker that if it's still ugly, he would be getting crushed. That the magnifying glass on that division, right, playing the Cowboys, playing the Eagles. Now, Washington is going to be much more competitive. It's the highest rated division in the league, so everyone's paying attention. And if it continues to be ugly, I don't know if their team is good enough to overcome that, and it could really just it could end his career. Well, I have a hard time even if he just is average. Now, well, the Steelers have been competitive with below average quarterbacks, so if he's just averaged, they could be competitive, right to me. The Giants, I mean, Colin, they were really, really terrible last year and they lost their quarterback to a torn ACL It wasn't like every guy was hurt on the team. There's an argument Daniel Saquan's probably gone a free agency. You think, I guess, you never know. The owner could resign.
Speaker 2: I said this last week on the show The Giants, Daniel Jones without safe one bark only Carolina's offense is worse that that is a disaster.
Speaker 1: That is the bottom of the well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, here's the thing about Pittsburgh that you know, I go back to this. I really like their roster, but and I tend to think that Tomlin sort of lets players. I mean we've had Levan. I mean there's like eight different players, including Big Bend, that were dramatic. There's always drama. It's always with their offense. It's never with their defensive players. It's always with So my takeaway is Tomlin just not pay attention to offense. Which Russell could say, great, I'll run it, or you know, he walks into a building where they all their money. It's they all spend it on defense. The number one defensive spending team in the league. How do you view the Steelers as a quarterback? You know, Kenny Pickett can't play, we think, how do you view the Steelers as an operation for a quarterback?
Speaker 1: Well, to me, if I'm Kirk Cousins, I'd be very interested there. I think that would be a place, right. I mean, Atlanta, I'm sure can give him more money, but that's a place where you could win. And that is I mean they have They've been, you know, kind of a disaster relative to their standard, and they've still been making the playoff. They've just been a one and done team, so that they have a bunch of guys. I mean they have really really high end players and TJ. Wad makea Fitzpatrick. They have a second pass rusher, Cam Hayward still around. Like you said, they always have skill guys. The running back du Old Najee Harris really came on at the end of the season, warn the little backs really good, that war is good. There's a chance. What if Russell's not really functional in this modern day NFL and the way he's playing now, these coaches want you to have more than the one readability and every single personime, watch five guys come on your show last week, it's like, well he won read all the guys around Denver. Watch every play takes off and you watch him like, where's this Russell? And maybe he was always doing it. He was just such a spectacular athlete and such a you know, instinctive playmaker. You get older, you're not quite as quick twitch, you lose your confidence a little bit, and it's hard to just maintain that style of play forever. Steve Young said this thirty five years ago. To sustain quarterback play, you've got to learn to play in the pocket, right and that's how a lot of these guys play forever in their older age where it feels like aged overnight because you can't just run around and freelance. Well.
Speaker 2: Also, it's pretty telling when Sean Payton took that job he wanted it to work because he knew the ramifications if Russell didn't, which is dead cap hell so, and it felt like to me almost in camp, like it didn't work. You know, stop kissing babies, were not doing the I mean, Sean got real kurt and real short with the media. So my takeaway was he's looking at all this film. By the time camp, he's watched every snap for Russell. In my take as Seawn just said, this doesn't work.
Speaker 1: I do think that lifetime, how many lifetime politicians ever changed their tune. They always act like that, and Russell's always kind of been this feels like a caricature of something that he trying to put and maybe that's just actually who he is. But he's been like this pretty consistently now for a decade. I don't ever expect him to just be Oh, he's one of the boys having some beards with the old line at the at the Burger Joint, like that's not where Tom and Peyton and a lot of guys, I mean, josh Al and Lamar, all these guys just really resonate with their teammates. Even a huge thing with Jalen Hurts when they Wally Pip Carson Wentz was like, guys just liked them. And there's always been this weird gap of like Russell's a little more famous, why I can see him being interested in New York, the brand, all that stuff that comes along with it. And that's always feels like with Russell Wilson, there's this kind of elements which when he's playing great, who cares you deal with it? It? Drew drove Seattle a little nuts, but they were always competitive. The moment that turns it feels like I don't even want to deal with I could see some of these teams listen, everyone gets desperate. You eventually pull the trigger. But I don't know. I mean, remember that once upon a time Cam Newton was just sitting there in a summer. Are we sure Russell Wilson's a lot to be signed by the end of this week? I We'll see. I'm a very fascinated to watch how this thing plays out well. And listen for the first time in his life. Yeah, we kind of want you. These teams aren't gonna be kissing his ass.
Speaker 2: Well, you think about this, it's really somebody had a good line. They said on my staff said, is he more concerned with sponsorships than relationships? But there is never been even for bad quarterbacks. Zach Wilson may not have been popular. People didn't publicly hammer him. Jay Cutler was a bit of a pill. People didn't publicly hammered Aaron Rodgers, you know, prickly, very well liked by players. Russell got hammered by Seahawk players. He just got hammered by Carl Mecklenberg. Pete wanted it out. It didn't work with Peyton. That's almost unheard of for a two Super Place one Trophy quarterback where people taking I've never heard any teammate bag on Tom Brady. I mean Peyton was intense.
Speaker 1: I just some of this.
Speaker 2: Like I said before, if there was a documentary tomorrowl on Russell Wilson, you'd name it. There's something about Russ whatever it is. It just Seattle had four different players come out and take shots at him.
Speaker 1: Well, we've seen a couple guys like guys that had high end careers. When it ended it, it was clearly they were holding on for dear life. Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan, right, and Matt was done done. Philip was not quite the same, but he was functional. They were beloved in the Philip Rivers that one year in Indie. You know Ballard, those guys loved him. And there you either have it or you don't. When it comes to interacting with people and the quarterback position. I think a lot of these guys get it early on, like in high school, maybe even junior high. That natural everyone's kind of looking at him, and it just grows your confidence and you're very comfortable doing it when you look at the history like Dan Marino, just go throughout the list of names guys drafted high not even like Hall of Famers, Carson Palmer, they just they just kind of get it. The crew of guys we have right now, I mean, how natural Josh Allen, Patrick, mahomes Lamar, their ability to just the respect's even the wrong way to put it, but like that's my guy all the whole. The kicker says that, the d line says it all the offensive guy's saying, and Russell's really kind of an outlier, high end player. He's no longer, but even in his prime where it didn't feel like everyone there's a gap there, and I don't know what was missing. I don't know the guy personally, but even the guys that know him personally always felt like it's just weird. It's like, he's not giving you his number. You got to call my people's like, Russell, I'm sitting right next to you in the locker room. It's so effin weird.
Speaker 2: Philadelphia Eagles Fletcher Cox, great player. There was some erosion last couple of years, he retires. Jason Kelsey not much erosion at all. But if you play center and you're the architect of the tush push that you age fast. I don't love Philadelphia this year. First of all, there's no proof, and I do like Jalen Hurts, but there's two Jalen Hurts. There's the Shane Steichen calling plays Jalen Hurts. Then there's the rest of his career, and there's a lot of turnovers and a lot of average. They had to hire two new coordinators. Sirianni to me feels at times over as Skis you know the organization, well, you know, I said, there's there's always The NFL is getting more predictable because it's more quarterback coach centric. So Houston was clearly a surprise.
Speaker 1: They hitting the coach. They hit in a quarterback.
Speaker 2: By and large, Cincinnati would have been good at erle plays. There were no big surprises last year. I mean that the Chargers went ass over Tea Kettle because of Brandon Staley, but nobody liked him anyway. But and then Trevor Lawrence got hurt. That was the Jags were playing with the quarterback at about sixty percent strength. But we have minimum four and on average six new playoff teams every season. It's gotten as high as eight. I said, I think Washington with cap space, could be an interesting team. If Jaden Daniels comes in or Drake May and they can play a little bit, it's gonna be some. They got some good players. I don't love the feeling around Philadelphia now. They'll pivot quickly if they're if they're struggling at Thanksgiving, they'll make a move. So I don't I don't love you're losing. It almost reminds me when the Patriots lost Bruce Kei and Vrabel and you replace them with young guys. You're like, hey, these guys are good players. You lost the soul of your team. And they Patriots, even with Tommy came back the next year, they were just a kind of a mistake plagued mess I don't love the vibe for and I very pro Eagles on my show, but I don't love the vibe I feel now your thoughts.
Speaker 1: I think it's very, very difficult for any organization to replace two guys that have a combined twenty five years experience in the same building. Jesus both of them, I would say, I mean Kelsey for sure, Fletcher as well. I mean, guys are gonna get their numbers retired, be up in the you know, on the stadium, ninety one and sixty five or whatever number. Kelsey at sixty two, yea. I think the the pressure you know, on the barbecue Winslow went up to high on Jalen Hursts in terms of not just display, but the leadership to run the organization. You had two guys, I mean Fletcher Cox the top fifteen pick, so he was a highly touted guy, was a really good player. Kelsey late Bloomer, but these guys have ran the organization for the last seven eight years. So you lose that that void, and then you're paying the quarterback forty five million. The coach in a little turmoil of like, okay, Sirianni, you got pressure on you sometimes when you have a really good organization internally, right, the Patriots had it forever. They had Tom but they also had mccordy, Slater, high tower Edelman, like they had a core. You start removing some of those guys, now the pressure goes, Well, you lose Fletcher Cox. Okay, it's on Jalen Carter that has a ton of question marks just as a human let alone the player. Can't he sustain Jordan Davis. These are two highly touted high picks. Okay, can you guys become the next Fletcher Cox because he's no longer around, right, and they always draft linemen, so it's like, Okay, they have a really good player to fill in for Jason kelcey, but it's not quite the same his void that he leaves from, you know, just verbally and anytime there's an issue, the reporters go to those guys. They went to Fletcher Cox last year. When everything was imploding, He's like screaming at the reporter, like, calm down, that's bullshit. Kelsey always could just simmer the moment. And in Philly you need that. Yeah, it's why the Russell Wilson thing in New York. I'm like that that pressure is a lot different in Seattle and even Denver, which is a high level organization in terms of its coverage, it ain't New York and Philly is the ultimate. And then you just to me, anytime you factor in a huge quarterback contract, I think the pressure on Sirianni, but I don't hear next year is just you. You could argue that the combo right going into the season with like mccarsony and Dak like the level of like, let's see, this's just not you're not gonna fire hurts after the season because of the contract. But we've seen them move on fast from Wentz before. So he better played really well, like a Pro Bowl level, or they're gonna have problems and the leadership, it's not even just the play, like everyone's now looking at you like it doesn't always feel like he's super verbal on the sideline, right, And it was reported that they're kind of working on that. Well, now he does have a choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think there is something. He's a bit undersized. Two is a bit undersized. Kyler's a bit undersized. Russell Wilson undersized two has been the only one that's acknowledged.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Times I have trouble seeing down the field a little bit, so I think with Hertz. My two takeaways are the undersized quarterback generally are not end up being the great pocket quarterbacks of our time. Secondly, they get banged up a little bit more because they have to create alleys and they move more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I swear to God.
Speaker 2: The li last two years, I'm not sure if Jalen Hurts has had a three week stretcher he's been healthy.
Speaker 1: I think he's always hurt. Well. The other thing is last year after the contract, clearly he didn't run as much. I mean it was because early on in his career. It's one of his great attributes. He's not the fastest, but he's very natural with the ball in his hands. But I don't care who you are, whether you're built like you know a little truck or whether you're super skinny like Bryce Young. If you're running a lot, you're gonna get hit and you're gonna get hit hard. Yeah, this league is not you know John Lynch and Steve Atwater hitting you. These guys are still hitting you pretty hard and they We've never had faster players on defense. So clearly the wear and tear not enough typically to like knock him out for a month. But I wonder if he's just in a lot of pain. But how do you balance. He's probably never gonna be I mean, he's never gonna be a top two or three pocket quarterback in the end is now. But when he's playing really well, he's this hybrid player. What happens to all these guys as they age a little bit and the money comes in, they don't I don't even blame him. I don't want to get tackled down the field, but you have to do that to be a great player. Like Lamar is pretty unique. He's so fast he can avoid and he's really good at getting down. Most of those guys don't have his like four to three.
Speaker 2: Josh Allen is so big that he just likes and we'll.
Speaker 1: See how long that's gonna last. That's right, right, So I think Jalen I would just live in the moment, and we got to run him, but be smart about it. But I need him running a little bit more because the pressure on their offense now this with removing Kelsey, they're gonna have to obviously be a lot better than they were, and Kellen Moore had a lot of success with a younger Dak you would assume Fangio, But like you said, this organization they work at rapid speed. They are not like, let's just give it a couple of years, see how it goes like. They will pivot and they will pivot fast. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, they're the opposite of the Steelers. They don't let stuff bake. They're not really interested. That's why Pittsburgh's so fascinating to me because you know, I mean, like I remember talking to a general manager when Kenny Pickett was coming out and he said, listen, Pittsburgh needs to find a quarterback. He's the best one in a terrible quarterback class. And I was told he was a top to a middle of the third round guy. That's just what he is, Well, that's what he looks like. He just he didn't have a ton of confidence. You know, he's a classic. He could win you a game if he had to start for two mid season, but by and large God Mason Rudolph came in and at least threw the ball to the right people. It felt like he limited as he is better arm talent. Got the ball to Pickens. It's like, it's not that hard target that guy thirteen times, get it to him nine, you're gonna score some points. So you know, it's funny. Philadelphia is the kind of organization after a while, you know, like the Rams are very progressive. They are just always taking swings and that's just how less need is. I know him pretty well. And McVeigh that Stan cronky. They take big swings. Green Bay a little more reluctant to do that stuff. Let it bake, Pittsburgh, let it bake. You know, I was sitting there flying it was in Chicago this weekend. As I flew back, I thought, at least I know what those teams are like. They have a you know, Rams, aggressive San Francisco, aggressive, Dallas. They draft and pay their own. Pittsburgh, Green Bay they let it bake. The Bears don't have an image and so they really don't. And I was thinking about this with Caleb Williams. Anybody with a functional brain. If your kid was going it was a quarterback and star quarterback and was going number one, you wouldn't pick the Bears. But here's my thing that I think he's going to end up looking a lot like Kyler Murray and Josh Allen. Yere one where you're going to have no doubt in your mind. He's an NFL franchise quarterback.
Speaker 1: He's just going to lose a lot.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of and a lot of that was Kingsbury probably not a great head coach. Josh Allen, let's be honest, he wasn't nearly as slick as Caleb coming out of Wyoming. He was kind of a turnover pro mess who completed fifty five percent of his throws. Give me your belief. First of all, I think the division. I think Green Bay, Minnesota and Detroit. The coaching staffs are good. I'm sorry they are. I think Gbra Fluce feels like a coordinator. Give me realistic numbers on Caleb Williams for a franchise again that doesn't even really have a brand since the eighties.
Speaker 1: I would say this their roster in one thing, just every single move that happened in the NFL. It's so evident that the money flowing in has allowed these teams to pay all these people so much money. I mean, the Bears make that trade for Sweat, immediately pay him. Then they franchise Jalen Johnson and immediately give him a ton of money. Their talent on defense is pretty good. I mean we saw them down the stretch. Defensively, they're pretty solid. They have DJ or if they have some solid offensive lineman after last draft. I think the question just is the organizational pressure on the coach that if you start a little slow, because anytime listen, he was losing games last year at USC tight games like it's hard. I mean, their team's not going to be as loaded offensively as a lot of the teams are going to play. I mean Green Bay and Detroit are clearly better. So what happens if they start three and five? Is there pressure to fire ebra Flus in the are they already going another coach? I would say, I think he's going to be pretty solid because a lot like a young Jalen Hurts and some of these young they'll just run around, so you can he's not going to be afraid to do it. He was doing it all last year. Yeah, So as long as he's willing to do that, he can make plays because his arm is so great outside of the pocket. And that's an attribute that he brings to the table immediately is the scramble ability not to run. But Deshaun Watson had this early in his career and he does not have the arm that Caleb Williams has. He would Russell made a career out of this scramble behind the line of scrimmage to keep a play alive and then hit a big playoff. I think that's what he's going to have to make a killing on early and luckily he can't. And that's where a lot of players they look good early on DeShawn Russell and then as it goes on, they don't want to keep playing like that, and it's like can you And if he can develop into it, then he'll be a top ten quarterback. If he can't, and there's some questions some people think he's not good in the construct of an offense. You watch all the sc games last year, I think it was such a mess. It's hard to even I know physically he has the gifts. People think he's pretty solid. I know there's a lot of pushback about his team and the brand and the money. Well, it's college football now. I mean he's been how much Kayleb Williams make the last couple of years ten million. If if I was making ten million as a college kid, I'd need a team too. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: This is where I really If you take the top four or five teams in college football over the last several years, Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Alabama, take those kind of teams, you can argue only one USC player beyond Cal Williams would have started for those teams offensively Jordan Addison. And on Ohio State. They have so many good receivers, he may not have been the Number one is that when people look at those numbers at US see there is a sense that they have this this they really have had very average. I mean, Jerry Rice's kid is probably a fourth or a fifth round receiver.
Speaker 1: Really worked hard.
Speaker 2: Absolutely an NFL player doesn't really separate, but in the league now plays zone. Everybody in the league plays zone. So he's a smart kid. He finds openings. He's got a little pooka and akool where he's strong physically in zone coverages. Dad's a legend. He's a smart kid. He always finds Crevice's That's right. Puka is big, and Puka in his own league because Puka is not a huge separator. The truth is Puka just finds good hands and find space then breaks tackles and break sackles.
Speaker 1: So does Cooper.
Speaker 2: Covers have big receivers and Brennan Rice is strong. But that's where I'll defend Caleb is that he had one star player, like one high end player he was carrying. I mean, Arizona.
Speaker 1: Arguably should have won that game.
Speaker 2: Arizona had more high end offensive players than USC. Arizona Wildcats a basketball school. So I think it's gonna work. I think he's gonna look a little bit like Josh Allen or sometimes he's running just to run and it'll look a little He'll be a combination of both. He'll be a better kyer, was a better thrower right out of the gate than Josh. Josh was just bigger, stronger and insane. I think he's gonna be a hybrid. He's gonna be a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: I do think a lot of times when you get drafted with the first overall pick. Yeah, you go to a team even if it has an offensive piece or two. The Panthers were kind of an outlier. They had nothing. The defense usually stinks, so you have to do like their defense could be pretty good, right, I mean they got some high end defensive players. Eva Flus might not be a great head coach, but he's a pretty good defensive coach. Yes, so what if they're just it might not be on his shoulders like it is a lot of times with these young quarterbacks because their defense is getting shredded on a weekly basis. So maybe it's actually gonna be a little easier in the sense that his defense in the pros is gonna be way better anything he experienced in college Oklahoma or USC.
Speaker 2: How about this too, The Lions will probably have to give GoF a bigger deal. Jordan Love's gonna get paid. So those defenses. That's not a great defensive division now. So the best defense next year arguably will be the one Caleb Williams faces at practice. So once you pay golf, you can't go out and spend the money. And by the way, most of the really really good players for Detroit amor On Saint Brown, Piney Sewell, Goff Swift.
Speaker 1: You'll pay three years.
Speaker 2: You're gonna retain your offensive players. They don't have Hutchison as the one defensive guy you'd pay. So my take is Caleb's coming into division. He may have to win by shootout, but this is not going to be the AFC North, you know, or like when Matt you know, or honestly when Tua came in, or you know, I mean you had Belichick twice a year. You've got McDermott.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: At one point, hell Brian Flores was in that division. It's like, oh Jesus, that's Those are tough matchups. So I think Caleb's going to go in a division where most of the talent it's an all star team. Offensively, there's not seven great defensive players in that conference. And I think Sweat and Jalen Johnson are two of.
Speaker 1: Them for sure. I mean, they're really good. One thing last week, I didn't watch that much LSU during the season, and I just flipped on. I wanted to watch the wide receiver Malik Nabors, who's supposed to be a top ten player, and obviously with the quarterback, I came away thinking Jayden Daniels. Jeez, he actually really good pocket touch, big arm, big time athlete. I started texting around to a couple of college directors. I said, is this the number two quarterback prospect? And every single one of them hit me back, Yeah, what it's all said and done. They think he's because it gets back to is he's going to be a great NFL player. Nobody knows, right, but you might as well take the guy with the more physical gifts. He's got a big arm, he's really accurate this year, and he can move now. He's you can tell he's really skinny, he refused to wag. But he's tall. He's like six ' four exactly. So if over the next couple of years he can get up to two o five two ten, let's say I'm assuming maybe low one nineties right now, it'd be fine. And he's really fast, but again, arm wise, very accurate, throws a very beautiful deep ball, and has a powerfulm So I came away thinking that guy that there are actually some similarities there. I wanted to hate him just because what I watched at ASU was so ugly. Sometimes you get that initial you watch him play a couple of games like this guy couldn't play, and then you watch him what he did this year with Brian Kelly in a real operation, Like this kid looks like a star. Yeah, obviously he won the Heisman, But from an NFL prospect, I wonder if the gap clearly Caleb's gonna go one. But I think physically he brings a lot to the table. He's not as thick as Caleb, right, I mean Caleb is.
Speaker 2: But he's almost almost foreign taller, taller, much easier for him to see. Yeah, he didn't have much to work with at Arizona State. He played with a running back. It was kind of you know, it was Herm Edwards, so it was most of the attention in the athletes. Uh Antonio appears and her Edwards were on the defensive side. He had a running back that was pretty good. He didn't have a ton to work with, so o line wasn't very good. But I remember when he went from Arizona State to LSU. I went on the Herd on FS one and Fox Sports Radio, and I remember saying he's good, he can play. I remember his first couple of games. My daughter went to Arizona State, so I was kind of like you know, I and I knew her, so I was kind of like, I don't watch this, and Jesus was he I remember this first start in college. I'm like, you know, Arizona State games are at night because it's so hot, so you have to make it. You have to make a point to watch him. They don't like fall into your lap. There's no day games, right, So I would stay up and watch them, and I was like, shit, man, he may wait, he may wait one sixty, but he throw. If you go back to his first year starting, he had total pois. He absolutely looked like the best freshman quarterback in the conference. So now you give him LSU's protection and you give him an offensive coach, so you know, you know, sometimes you look back and you go, yeah, of course Lamar Jackson was going to be good. He was moving all over the field against Clemson. I think you're gonna look at Jaden Daniels and go. He was moving up and down the field against SEC defenses.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he saw this story, but I was looking a couple hours ago that Bob Myers was in the UH went to the Combine and was in the interviews for the quarterbacks. Did you see that, and I can't imagine a little Warrior jenf. Yeah, the former WARGM who helped them consulted with Rick Spielman to kind of hire Adam Peters and Dan Quinn. I think a lot of people in the NFL that air natural reaction would be like, what the fuck's this guy doing in there? And then I started thinking, we kind of knows what it looks like, right, what guys sound like, what makes them tick. He's been around I don't know. I mean, one of the greatest NBA players and one of the greatest athletes of all time, and Draymond and Clay i'd say had pretty unique careers from a success standpoint. I was like, I think Washington, it's gonna piss some people off because the way they're doing it's a little differently with Bob Myers and thinking outside that, I think they got a lot of high level people around that building.
Speaker 2: They're my surprise picking the league. Nick, They're my Houston. I think they're gonna I could see Jayden Daniels good draft. They got some money, buy some players. They already have some young talent, right, they got some draft picks, trade and Chase Young trade and sweats. If they have a good draft and the quarterback is just solid. He doesn't even need to be c. J.
Speaker 1: Stroud, But it's just in the running for like a Rookie of the Year type player. Why couldn't they be eight to ten wins right away?
Speaker 2: You're seeing Philadelphia losing some of these Verbel, Bruski, Hart and soul guys Kelsey, Fletcher Cox. Dallas is going to become very top heavy because they're gonna pay Dak, Mike C. D Lamb everybody else. I mean, there's just and you know, Dallas is very reticent to go pay somebody outside the building. They loved them draft and pay their people.
Speaker 1: That's why. And they never have any money for free agency to their team. They always pay their own guys. Yep.
Speaker 2: And then I think the Giants are a mess. I just don't think. I again, I'll say it, Brian Dable getting Daniel Jones into the playoffs and we're gonna look at that in about a year when Daniel's not a starter and just coach Jesus so no, I think, and you know the reality of this league is if Jayden can play, and again, a lot of starts two different conferences, two different styles of quarterbacks. To your point, he moves most of these guys that move well by themselves. About two years of the light going on, Russell Wilson, show you this, all these running quarterbacks, Mahomes said, year three the light went on, You're like, oh, everything slows down. Well, that's why pocket guys like Mac Jones. No, you don't get those two years. That's Jared Goff, by the way, his first year when he had a bad old line, couldn't run save his life. So I think I think Jaden, even if he's not great in the pocket, will move enough. They're going to buy some offensive line pieces. Terry McLaurin. They got some backs. I like, that's my surprise team.
Speaker 1: And again.
Speaker 2: They brought the guy Adam Peters from San Francisco, who I know of but don't know. But when's the last time somebody came out of that Niners operation? The Rams and the Niners McVan shanahan. They hire guys hang around for a few years now. Brandon Staley didn't work as a head coach, but by and large the hit rate on Niners and Rams assistants and people in the building, and not a lot of failures.
Speaker 1: Almost all these guys hit well because you can't function in the building. You know. One it's a little more inclusive, right, It's got some and Andy Reid characteristics, like everyone's communicating with each other, and clearly you just you're around teams that are pretty high level at a lot of different positions, so you know exactly what it looks like. Didn't you think I mentioned this earlier? But the amount of money these teams are thrown around. I mean, the Bears just probably gave out sixty seventy million dollars over when they signed Sweat and then Jalen Johnson. And they are not some big money team with just Dallas cowboy you know, David Tepper level money sitting in the bank account. Everyone has so much money now in the NFL that I want to give Baker Mayfield fifty You don't even think about it. And historically in football, people were half the teams in the league were hesitant to give these big numbers. They didn't want to get stuck. Now no one's like, oh it doesn't work, We'll move on next year. The money flowing with this television deal has made the league, which is good for fans. Most players. If the team wants to keep them, they stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what I said. I mean, ninety five million guaranteed to Chris Jones, who's probably at the end, near the end of his peak. He's probably got one or two peak years. But I do think when I looked at the salary cap move up because the gambling money and the TV revenue, by take was this is really going to help the good teams. So Baltimore has that defensive lineman, they're.
Speaker 1: Just sway, give eighty million, No big deal.
Speaker 2: Chris Jones, You're like, God, Dawn, do we pay him? All the good teams? I mean, you know, it's like Aaron Donald the Rams go back and forth. Aaron Donald was the number two interior defensive linemen according to PFF. It's like he maybe kind of the Brady of defense, like like Fletcher Cox. You could see erosion.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I thought last year.
Speaker 2: I was like, if the Rams get another pass rusher on the draft on the edge, so it's harder and harder because the first kid worked. Aaron Donald looks like he is still a top three defensive lineman in the league. So I think, to your point, the money's just flowing now. And we've talked about this before. Is the NFL is so big now it really feels like hockey in Canada. Everything else is just a stepchild. It's English Premier League in London like nothing else. They have cricket, they have tennis. It just doesn't matter. And I think I think gambling has I know at Fox, people don't turn off bad games anymore. You stick around nobody these bad games used to have they'd fall off the cliff.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 2: They just stay. And also the earth thing is the big brands. Green Bay's good again. If Chicago gets good, Philadelphia is always good. The Niners are good, the Cowboys are you know, they're winning twelve games with Dak. The Steelers underachieved, but they're okay right now. You got a lot of Midwest teams hitting, which is you know, I don't know. I just look at the NFL and I'm like, I remember five, six, seven years ago when I was hearing these Northeast sports writers say the CT to the end of football in America, and I'm like, guys, stop going to baseball games. Football is not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Well, this next week is the NFL free agency, which is big but I actually think it's kind of the opening act for the draft. I mean, can you imagine how big the draft rating is going to be Chicago, Washington, and Boston Draft one, two, three? I mean, think how many? I mean, I bet it's gonna fifteen plus million people are going to be watching night Thursday night, right, Oh, I bet you that might be low. It might be twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Five Thursday Night. Draft Night will be nights of the NBA Finals.
Speaker 1: No question, easily, honestly it might. With those big brands drafting high and he stretches it out for thirty five minutes, might be twenty five plus million people watching the first hour of the NFL Draft. It's just gonna be in safe. I can't wait for it.
Speaker 2: John Middlcoff, former NFL scout is podcast is three and out. We do this for an hour or so tonight We went over it, which is great.
Speaker 1: Good see anybody. Like I said, keep an eye on the Dodgers. I think they're gonna be pretty.
Speaker 2: Good the volume. Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review