Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: I'll that for me.
Speaker 1: I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edo steak? Is that woo whoom? And Dan and Tie Welcome back to the solid verbal. Boys and girls. My name is ty Hill thee brand joining me as always my good friend over there in beautiful and why see Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you? I'm good? It's pretty nice.
Speaker 2: Good fourth, got some sun looked like the Grecian god that I am.
Speaker 1: Did you did you eat well? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Made some burgers, made some blueberry crumble. Actually put it on the solid verbal Instagram story feed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I saw that.
Speaker 2: That's become very easy for me because it's it seems very convenient. So I cooked, I grilled, swell sort of grilled. I pan made burgers and it was real easy. And Jody with and I a couple coworkers and their baby came over. He actually football at Vanderbilt with Jay Cutler. So we talked about that.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Great time TI great nice air conditioned Fourth of July. During the nighttime, portion walked around the neighborhood. During the day, you know, real good old person. Fourth, how about you.
Speaker 1: We were active, did a lot of bike riding and nice eight well here at the house. So yeah, very uneventful fourth for us. Hope everyone out there had a good holiday weekend. We've got a fun show ahead of us here this evening. What we've been trying to do once a month is answer questions. And I could say undeniably that after you put out the call on Facebook and Twitter and lord knows wherever else to get some questions into the inboxes that we had only Yeah, yeah, we had an unbelievable outpouring of questions. You can tell that people are getting a little antsy for the season to start.
Speaker 2: Dan correct, Yes, and a wide array of questions too, both college ball, non college football. Went to some weird places, got a lot of food questions, got a lot of life questions. So we're gonna go mostly college football, but I think we're gonna we'll sprinkle in some good life questions. I think that's reasonable.
Speaker 1: We'll do our best to sprinkle in a couple housekeeping notes before we go any further, though, First and foremost, because people have asked, and because we've been teasing this now for weeks for months on end. Dan and I are planning to do a live Fantasy Things draft at some point next month in New York City. That quote unquote some point has been narrowed a little bit to either August fifth or August twelfth, both are Saturdays. We're still working to firm up the date, still working to firm up the time and the location. But as soon as we have that information, as soon as we have more information about tickets and other particulars, will be sure to pass that along to you. But if you're going to be in the area one of those two weekends, or if you can be in the area one of those two weekends, just wanted to give you an early heads up that that's what we're thinking. We will absolutely make it worth your while and provide more details as they are available, but for the time being anyway, Dan, that's that's what it's looking like, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is correct. We will have a proctor for Is that the right word that we should be looking for?
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Proctor is a fun word. It may be our pal Ryan Nanny. So I hope that it's encouraging even more so for people to come out. Well, the tickets will be very cheap, just to sort of cover our costs. I already tried to recruit our pal Adam Amine, come into New York from Chicago. Turned down, turned down. He wanted to make it, but he will not be in New York in early to mid August, at least as of right now. If he is, we will kidnap him and force him to use his professional skills for free. But it's going to be a really fun time. So we'll have that early to mid August, and there's going to be really good barbecue and drinks and everything like that available to purchase and have fun with. We'll hang around as long as anybody wants us to hang around, to try and say nice things about your teams. And we're going to try to release shirts this month. Yeah, that's a fun thing. And the place that people can find out about shirts and those little tickets for our live show ahead of everybody else would.
Speaker 1: Be that would be the newsletter, which you can find if you go on out to solidverbal dot com. We've added it to our main menu. Good. We also have not sent out a newsletter in a while. We had a gentleman ask us, hey, where's the newsletter? I haven't seen it. We haven't sent it. It's more of an in season thing. Yeah, more of an in season thing. But we tend to send out the bat signal for things like this. We haven't sent it out yet. Keep subscribing if you want more information on all of that fine stuff. And then the final thing I'll bring up just because I actually thought it was a cool idea and it wasn't ours. A gentleman came to us let us know that he's planning on starting the Solidverbal subreddit. I'm not sure I have no c how any of the stuff works, but he asked, He asked if we could put out a call for people who are interested in helping, so we will hook you up with him on Twitter if you're interested in and be a part of that little community.
Speaker 2: Every time I go on, by the way, every time I go on the college football subreddit and just to see news and stories and everything like that, occasionally somebody will say, what's a good college football podcast to listen to? And there are always links, and invariably we get brought up with a number of other really good podcasts like podcasting Play Nobody in the Shutdown full Cast, and people generally have nice things to say, and sometimes people say I like it, but Dan's kind of annoying, which means college football Subreddit really gets our show. Yeah, they really get our essence. So we love the college football community on Reddit.
Speaker 1: They're good people.
Speaker 2: Reddit can be lit dicey, but the college football crew is pretty fun.
Speaker 1: Agreed. I go a couple times a day. We love the site. Nice. On that note, Dan, congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail, You've got on the solid verbal. As often as we can, we like to pay homage to those of you who tweet, who Facebook, who Instagram, who snapchat, who email into soliverble at gmail dot com. If you find some way, somehow to get in touch with us, now, let us know the burning questions that you have. There's a good chance this could be our very last one, at least for a while. We try to sprinkle in questions as we progress forward. But we've got a bunch of cool shows coming up. We've got our How Recruiting Work Show, Come on Man, currently in production. We've got our show with Bill Barnwell, Our Mystery Show with Bill Barnwell, the Bonus episode, and then we've got our History of soliverbal Show that's going to round out the month of July a little bit later on this month before we get into previews. So I'm not saying, but I'm saying, there's a good chance that there are some questions that won't get answered. This is the true, which means we've got a rifle through these dan Is as quickly as we can.
Speaker 2: We've had a couple of people ask a similar question. It just makes sense to start with this. We are recording this on July sixth, so right after the fourth of July, right after you know, people getting together and having fun with family and friends and celebrating the holiday. That's when it seems for some people, attention starts turning to college football and people are getting antsy. Does this make you antsy now that it's just sort of baseball left before college football season? Because I'm not yet antsy. I'm really excited, but I don't start really getting antsy until like a week or two before. I tend to try to enjoy summer because I live in a cold place filled with trash, and the summer is one of the few times where I get to enjoy something different.
Speaker 1: Antsie would be the wrong way to characterize it. In general, I don't get anty or anxious for a lot of things in life. But what I would say, I'm reminded of that scene in Apollo thirteen where the world's getting awfully big in the window, and that's kind of how I feel about the college football season. I can see it fast approaching. We've planned out what our shows are going to look like over the next couple weeks and months, and it's glaringly obvious that it's starting to get in the crunch time where I'm going to have to cram a lot of previews, start putting together preview content and all that kind of stuff. So yeah, not there yet, but I'll be here soon enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, first question I have here is from it looks like Will Will wants to know, as I look at my my sheet, based on preseason expectations alone, what's the best week of college football this year? I have a week picked out. I don't know if you picked out a week today you had a busy day.
Speaker 1: I have actually done research for this question, but not breaking news in the build up to tonight's show, Right, So I have a week in mind that may involve Notre Dame Georgia. Ok That may involve Auburn Clemson, that may involve Oklahoma Ohio State. By the way, all three of those games at night. I'm thank you College football Week two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like that big number two, don't you.
Speaker 1: I like that crooked number, Dan, give me number two. Yes, number two is actually surprisingly good this year.
Speaker 2: A lot of time you have the fall off after exciting non conference non home and home. But you know, neutral site week ones, and there's some really sneaky good week ones. I think app State Georgia is week one, and that app State defense is fun and dangerous. And you have Alabama Florida State at night, and A and m Ucla on Sunday, West Virginia Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, whatever, there's some fun of week one. I think you're right on with Week two. I have earmarked right here, though ty week eight. I went through a bunch of weeks week gate. As of right now in early July, you've got a fun Thursday night game Memphis and Houston. I think at the very least that looks like it'll be fun even without Tom Herman. Yes, I think we got fun new offensive coordinator from Memphis. It's chipped long over to Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, you have Wyami Wyam, Wyoming, Boise State, two really good quarterbacks. Josh Allen may be in a very NFL E place by then with a lot of hype. Louisville, Florida State, Tennessee, Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, North Carolina, Virginia Tech see two new quarterbacks, lsu Ole, miss Oklahoma, Kansas State who is expected to be a good deal better this year, Oklahoma State, Texas could be sneaky fun, Oregon, Ucla, we don't know what to expect, Penn State, Michigan and USC Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I've got a lot of good, if not interesting quarterback play, a lot of unknowns with you know, Brandon Wimbush, with what Michigan's offense is going to look like by then, what Texas's offense under Tom Herman's going to look like, what Lincoln Riley and Oklahoma. I guess we have a good idea. But there's it's a heavy deep week.
Speaker 1: Last year, Week one in Week three were loaded. Yes, this year it's a very top heavy schedule again in that we've got some good weeks to start off the college of season. Week one isn't nearly as loaded as it's been the last two seasons. Week three, I don't think nearly as loaded as it was a year ago. Week two here's what you got again, those three games at night Auburn, Clemson, Indie, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State. You've also got Iowa, Iowa State, l Aciko, the Holy War and BYU, Utah Pitt Penn State, Nebraska, Oregon, Boise, Washington State late at night Minnesota, Oregon State, which is interesting, TCU Arkansas, Stanford, USC and Louisville North Carolina. So good. A good spectrum of games, nice depth of matchups there. Week is pretty solid though, too, so Week two and week eight is the answer.
Speaker 2: Will This is from Quinn the Day, which is not as accurate because when the day doesn't exist for Oregon anymore. This is our friend Quinn, who is the best freshman or sophomore quarterback in the country that nobody is talking about, and he, of course says Justin.
Speaker 1: Herbert is his pick. TI. Do you have a freshman or sophomore quarterback? Does a red shirt sophomore count here?
Speaker 2: I'll count a red shirt sophomore if if they either played somewhat last year, it started last year, whatever the case may be, that you know, perhaps is floating a little bit under the radar.
Speaker 1: Daniel Jones, I've been talking about him all oft for Duke. Yeah, it's a good pick around college football.
Speaker 2: Sam Darnold obviously on the radar, but he himself a red shirt sophomore. Around college football as a whole, there's not too.
Speaker 1: Many of them. Eric Dungee another name I've mentioned. I think you do like Lee falls in this category.
Speaker 2: Jalen Hurts is not under the radar by any stretch, but I think he has been discounted a little bit because of how he finished the season. And I am looking forward and people are already saying he's being pushed by the true freshman who came in early to tagle the Tagaailoa from Hawaii. But Jalen Hurts I feel like has attention, but we may be under rating him a little bit with how successful he was as a true freshman in that system.
Speaker 1: So okay, But then the question was that no one is talking about I gave you Eric Dungee and Daniel Jones. So far, you've given me Sam Darnold and Jayley hurts Dan. This is true.
Speaker 2: This is undeniably true.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say Keller Chris, But Keller Chris is a senior. He to me feels a little bit under the radar because of his injury elsewhere.
Speaker 1: How about Alex Hornybrook, that's pretty good. He's all right, yeah, game manager, but you know he'll win games for you.
Speaker 2: How's that help to lead them to the Big ten title?
Speaker 1: Game?
Speaker 2: Came up a little bit short, but still still sort of fun. I don't know if there's freshmen coming in that I'm very excited about. Would you count Brandon Wimbush. He's not under the radar, but do you think he is? I like him a lot. I like I would not count him. I would not count him for this, But I like Wimbush an awful lot. I think he's going to be really solid in that system for Notre Dame. And I think in an era where you've got a lot of guys transferring out because of lack of playing time, Wimbush right now looks like the evil genius who played his long con just right. Because the heiser Zaire thing went down last year, both are now gone and he gets to play a year earlier than expected. I've got two guys that are one hundred percent under the radar at this moment. Who I believe either red shirted or didn't play a ton last year because of injury one and they both might not win the starting job at their school. So I better get this in right now. Jarrett Guarintano at Tennessee Tennesseeah. Really liked his high school tape. I know that doesn't mean a whole lot, but I like his skill set a whole bunch, and I think coming into a system that does have some momentum offensively, it could be really nice for him. I like his talent a lot. Also, he was super young last year. My second pick, Khalil Tait at Arizona.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: A little thin, got hurt, but is We'll see if he can develop as a passer, he becomes very dangerous. But he is an electric athlete and you know, sort of in the vein of maybe like a like a Pat White, you know, sort of not scrawny but lean, but you know, explosive player. Khalil Tated Arizona.
Speaker 1: That'll play for rich Rod. Where are we going next?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, next question. I like this question a lot. This is more vague or not vague, but bigger picture, if there were an NC double A video game this year, who would you be most excited player wise? And I'm going to say outside of Penn State tie Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: To play with in the game. I mean the obvious answer is Lamar Jackson. Yeah. I think that's a really good answer, Lamar Jay. If you have a truly mobile quarterback in any video game, those guys are virtually unstoppable and that that dates back to like the old Mike Vick era of NC double A of Madden, Lamar Jackson would be a tough one to pass up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's generally going to be a quarterback or some sort of multi tool speedy weapon. Christian would be very fun to play with with some jet sweeps and punt returns.
Speaker 1: He would be quite fun.
Speaker 2: Quentin Flowers, who we both love, would be a pretty obvious answer. H looking through playmakers.
Speaker 1: I mean, it depends what you're after, right, If if you're after putting up the true pinball numbers, then I think the answer is Lamar Jackson. Yes. If you're into the whole freshman development thing, pick cam akers in Florida State just run every down when the Heisman as fresh.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say Ronald Jones in USC has home run ability. Yeah, that could be quite fun, maybe overshadowed a little bit by Sam Darnold's all right, Yeah, that's that's That's another next topic. Next topic, Ty, which team currently outside the top twenty five has the best chance at finishing in the top ten.
Speaker 1: Hmm. So for this metric, Ty.
Speaker 2: I went ahead and used Bill Ce's projected top twenty five because I think it's a it's a good combination of different factors to get us a top twenty five. So just out of the top twenty five. In this I'll give you the top twelve or so teams outside of the top twenty five, and you can tell me what you feel most passionately about.
Speaker 1: Ole, miss NC.
Speaker 2: State, Baylor, Boise State, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Arkansas, UCLA, Kansas State, South Carolina, Northwestern North Carolina. Do you say Kansas State? I did say Kansas State, who a lot of people have projected higher than they're projected thirty fifth in the S and POP.
Speaker 1: I could see Kansas State working their way into the top twenty five. I'm not sure. I actually didn't do a fair amount of research for this one, but a team that came to mind was Notre Dame. I don't know where Notre Dame's at, but Notre Dame seems like the kind of team that.
Speaker 2: They're seventeenth in the SNP plus projection, so they're outside of the top ten, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I could see them. Kansas State. You mentioned NC State. I'm intrigued by NC State this year.
Speaker 2: If they had a better schedule, I would probably roll with UCLA. Their schedules not great, but last year's defense was undeniably the top ten defense in the country, especially that pass defense. You saw the NFL talent but they had on the roster last year under Tom scrat Bradley, their defense really took a very nice step forward. A new offensive coordinator healthy, Josh Rosen. They have Texas A and M early. They go to Memphis, to Stanford, to Washington, to Utah, which is always a hornet's nest at altitude, to USC.
Speaker 1: Are they playing any home games Dan? They do not play home games. No, they have A and M at home. They have Hawaii at home.
Speaker 2: It's not a great Oregon at home, which could be advantageous by mid to late October, and they've got a strange letdown spot the post rivalry game, the post second or like the second to last week rivalry game.
Speaker 1: They have Cal after that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not terribly worried about Cal in the first year coach, but I like the staff, but the schedule's not right, or else I'd roll with UCLA.
Speaker 1: So of this, I'd go UCLA, possibly North.
Speaker 2: Carolina, just because of the strides they've taken these past couple of years and developing quarterbacks. All right, next topic, next, I'm back, Let's go to I love this question.
Speaker 1: Ty.
Speaker 2: This comes to our pal. Comes to us from our pal Jane Couston. Has Tie's family finally forgiven Dan for his comments regarding the food at Tie's wedding.
Speaker 1: No, still know what have you done to rectify the situation? Dan?
Speaker 2: I thought I clarified that I enjoyed my eating at your wedding.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just telling you. I'm telling you, in the nicest possible terms, that I have made peace with you because you and I we have a show. We have a business venture here with the show. M hmm. Other people who aren't as attached, they don't share the same sentiment as I. Okay, So if you come down here, I'm just I'm not sure you'll be well.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to have a very mature sit down with mama ah and get this.
Speaker 1: Also, I didn't say it was mom Ah. I'm not I'm not naming names. Here are anonymous sources. Dan Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking of the people you're related to that listen to the show and Detective Dan Rubinstein on the case. We'll stick with this because we've got a quick answer here. One one swell foop or one fell swoop? Has Tie ever had.
Speaker 1: A bond me?
Speaker 2: Bo b A n H b A n H bond space M I me bond me.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's a Vietnamese sandwich with French influence.
Speaker 1: Great. Yeah, I was gonna say, I'm assuming that's some Vietnamese dish. Mm hm. When you said has Tie ever had a bond me, I thought you were asking if I've had a bonfire. That might be the closest I come to this one swell foop like bond me bond me? I think you'd like a bond me? Okay.
Speaker 2: It's French bread. Generally traditionally it's you know, some sort of roasted pork and then cilantro and like spicy. Mays me to Vietnamese Vietnamese food.
Speaker 1: Excuse me. In Austin there was like a food truck. Yes, and we tried Vietnamese something or another tacos. Yeah, it was a fusion taco situation. It was very good. It was not I'm not opposed to it. I've just not had any exposure to it.
Speaker 2: Sure, absolutely, Uh next question, neither one of us can speak to this with authority, but we're going to try to answer it anyway. From Steve Hagen, why are SEC fans so over the top? And by that I assume he means enthusiastic, crazed, that.
Speaker 1: Kind of thing. Okay, this is what is your quest, Offesis. Yes, you've got a really strong football culture in the Southeast, but I've always felt like there's a shortage of a true alpha NFL team outside of the Cowboys, the Saints, maybe the Falcons.
Speaker 2: Maybe the Falcons and Saints are are definite a rivalry, but they're in not college towns. Necessarily shout out to Tulane, but.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's just in a lot of spots college football got there first, you know, like the Titans, the who else, the Jags, the Panthers. These are newer teams. They don't have the tradition of say Tennessee Football. So maybe you root for an NFL team and that's cool, but maybe you feel more of an emotional connection to the college game because it's been there longer. There's more of a tradition. Like if if you live in South Carolina, Dan, you might be a Falcons fan, but I bet money that you've got more more of an emotional connection to Clemson or South Carolina. Yeah, and then when you factor in the South, there's really a regional identity there that comes into play. People from the South, they take pride in being from the South and cheering on other teams that are from the South. I think all that probably factors in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think cultural pride in terms of sports elsewhere in the country. You know, the Midwest feels very professional sports driven, as as the North certainly you know Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State. There are really fun pockets of enthusiasm regarding college football. But I don't think it's as ingrain. You go to a place like Old miss or LSU or Alabama, where there's you know it, just it feels like it's more steeped in tradition, even if the tradition sort of seems silly to the outside world and to dumb dumbs from the north like ourselves, you know, rolling the trees a Tumor's corner in Auburn. It's just there's just something that's sort of woven into the culture that just doesn't exist elsewhere. Doesn't make it better worse, it just makes it unique.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And don't poison other people's things. Don't do that. Don't do that.
Speaker 2: That's just a general life thing that you should abide by. Next question, we'll go to a different part of the country. Abbott wants to know the MAC conference who you got this yere tie? Because I got my answer. Ooh, you know what's side? I'm on tie, I'm on h I'm on the woodside.
Speaker 1: That's right, baby. Yeah, give me Toledo. I desperately want to call them the mud Hens, but I know that's a minor league baseball team. I know that their real name is the Rockets. But I am I am rooting for this to be the year for Toledo and Logan Woodside, official quarterback of the celebrable podcast.
Speaker 2: Here is a genuine question I have. The Toledo Rocket has no visible eyes because there is a mask on the Spaceman mascot. How many college football mascots don't have visible eyeballs because even the tree has eyeballs.
Speaker 1: The tree, Yeah, the tree can see. Wow. I'm not even sure I can name one off the downhead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's the unique element of that. I mean, there's a school like Oklahoma where it's just sort of a covered wagon coming out, but you still have people dressed in a pair obviously of the West Virginia Mountaineer humans. You have a live buffalo. You' all sorts of live animals and mascots and costumes. But I would say, of the costume mascots in which you can't see the person inside, how many of those costumes don't have visible eyeballs?
Speaker 1: Wow? I honestly got to think about it. I have to think about it too. What I will say very quickly in passing, I would much rather have a mascot without eyes than a mascot with the eyes of the Clemson Tiger, because that's just freaking spooky e ball. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I can't off the top of my head. Can't think of one. All Right, we're gonna have to tell Yeah, we're both on the woodside. Okay, next topic. Next topic. This comes up from Zach.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on the legalization of sports gambling across the country? Is a good or bad for college football? I don't wager on college football. What are your thoughts, Tay, I have no problem with this at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's already going on, whether it's legal or not. Grant that you could say that about a lot of things that shouldn't be lee goal, But in this case, I think if you could tax it, you could regulate it. In other parts of the world, you literally have gambling websites that sponsors sports teams. It doesn't need to be an adversarial relationship between the league and the gambling entity. The two things that I hear as the most common arguments against legalized gambling is a some kind of moral objection to gambling as a whole, not just sports gambling, but just the act of doing so. I don't share that point of view, but I'm not going to try and convince people otherwise. It's a reasonable stance that people have. The second one is more logistical, and I think it's a myth. It's that legalized gambling or any gambling for that matter, is going to lead to some kind of nefarious, shady activity in sports, right point, shaving, game fixing, paying off ress. That is not reality, because, as you know, Vegas, Vegas leads the charge against this sort of thing all the time. They know when something's up, they alert the FBI other authorities that there might be a fix being called in. So in many cases that's just not reality. I think you can throw that argument out the window. So I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: I'm mostly okay with it. It becomes a little strange if you are believing in the antiquated notion of amateurism that these are true student athletes and we shouldn't be wagering on games they're playing, but enough people are making money off of them. But I am generally okay. You can already wager on college football games legally, whether it's sort of the weird offshore stuff or you just go to the state of Nevada, go to Las Vegas and gamble. And it also feels to me that with football specifically, and this is different for any number of sports that could possibly be waged on like basketball. Easier to throw a basketball game when you want to five people instead of one of twenty two, twenty five, twenty seven people, unless you're the quarterback, and that becomes sort of obvious on a certain level. But I think I'm okay with it at this point in twenty seventeen. I'm not sure the direct harm it's going to do.
Speaker 1: You can argue that Florida's quarterback has been throwing games for the last two years, and how you still find a way to play an SEC championship games.
Speaker 2: So this is an email from or a tweet I think from our friend Jake, who wants to know. Not surprisingly, I know where he's going with this. When does a team go from quote having success to quote elite college football program. Oh, this is a very sports radio question, yes, but it's early July and we will entertain such questions. He is a Washington fan, so I assume he secretly wants to know how far away is Washington from being a quote elite college football program, A name that people like Colin Cowherd eleven elite college football programs from Colin cowhard but it blue blood, something that really that is a clear elevating term of college football programs. Right now, we have you know, whatever, eight to ten programs, whatever it is. But I would say, and you can say I'm wrong, the most recent team to make that ascension is probably Oregon. They made the ascension. I don't know if they still are right now, sure, but in making the four straight BCS games and national title games, two national title games and a Heisman, combined with the brand that they were able to build nationally, with the attention to uniforms and facilities and whatever, I felt like they made the closest thing we've had recently to an ascension to that blue blood level. Still don't know if they're there now, but they made the ascension. So what do you think it takes to climb up to being in that sort of that cloud. I, By the way, the Oregon example, I think is a good one.
Speaker 1: I was going to use Clemson as sort of another example, maybe not quite as drastic. They had won a national championship before, Yeah, but Clemson has now gotten to a point where year and in year out they are what I would consider elite, whereas ten years ago that wasn't quite the case. They've won ten or more game six straight years. If I'm looking at this correctly, they've played in eight postseason games if you count the playoffs, and it looks like they've gone six and two, with a national championship last year. The big thing for them is recruiting has now reached a critical mass, and I think that's the most important thing. You need to have success on the field, which they've clearly had last six seasons. You need to have success against prime competition, which they've done in the offseason before a national audience. Because of that, their recruiting has now reached a critical mass where they're not quite Alabama, They're not quite getting whoever they want, but they're getting there. The program has now started to kind of recruit for itself, and I think that's the X factor here in getting to elite status where you can turn over a quarterback, you can turn over defensive talent at all three levels of your defense and still feel pretty good about being potentially a top five team entering the following year.
Speaker 2: Would I would say that there has to be some sort of broader, big picture element to not just on field success, but there has to be some sort of brand association with your program. As a top of the mountain program, and I think undeniably Clemson is there. I think in having a high profile player like Deshaun Watson Taj Boyd before him, you know, turning out NFL players, becoming a program that like year in and year I like, oh, I need to watch the Clemson Florida State game that they sort of became must watch in their own way. And I think, you know, Dabbo is just he's an outsized personality, So there's the figurehead factor. I think Clemson is there. What about a school like Penn State. M like so Penn State historically is that program on the field recently?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: So would you group them because of both brand and on field product right now?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't. I wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: Is there any team in the Big Ten outside of Ohio State and Michigan.
Speaker 1: I don't think there is, Probably not. No.
Speaker 2: I think Nebraska was. I think Wisconsin's closer than people realize in terms of the year in and year out brain. Wisconsin has that brand of like the big burly offensive lineman in the running game.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Russell Wilson certainly helped it briefly in the Pac twelve. Whatever you think of Oregon and basically USC Washington's problem is they are so far removed geographically and there isn't a ton of flash yet. I think they're going to build on what they did last year this coming season. I think there's a very good chance, with an excellent coach and Chris Peterson, that they can reach the point where they are just an understood West Coast power like they were in the early nineties. But I think there's a ways to go, okay, and I think Stanford is secretly there.
Speaker 1: I would agree with that. Yeah, absolutely, which is crazy to think about. Ty they're good. Who in the SEC? Well Alabama obviously, I think LSU. I think they're one hundred percent in that group.
Speaker 2: That's it for me at Florida Florida Florida Shore. The recent on field has been a disaster, but winning two national championships in what the past eleven or twelve years, pumping out a Heisman winner, the most polarizing player in Tim Tebow perhaps of the past decade, twenty years.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Florida Alabama LSU are in a tier alone within the SEC. Hope it changes, hope more teams are at it, but that's where I stand right now. That's the sports radio question of the day. The second part of his question is Tex Mex best of both worlds or culinary Frankenstein. I think he means Frankenstein's Monster. TI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna be specific. Sure, how do you feel about text Mex. I'm fine with text Mex.
Speaker 2: Are you being specific to text Mex or Mexican food? There is a difference there.
Speaker 1: There is a subtle difference, right, I'm no, I'm I'm probably being more specific to Mexican food, but I have to believe that text Mex isn't too much a departure from that.
Speaker 2: It's basically Mexican food, but with a layer of greasy, orange yellow cheddar cheese. So that's fine. I'm fine. I've been slow to it, but I've learned to appreciate it. Queso cone cherizo, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. That's great.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of enchiladas and fajidas. It's all good, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So let me jump in here. What do you got? Brett sent us a question that I thought was actually very thoughtful, and he says, I have a question and it concerns allowed scholarship quantities and teams losing players, wouldn't a team consistently quote losing a lot each year actually be a sign of success in player development, where a signing class gradually develops, moves up the ranks to become starters, and then leaves as a class, then repeat and repeat. I believe some would call this th reloading. Could you talk a little bit about player development versus player turnover? Dan? This is a great question. It's an excellent point. His implication is basically that turnover does not equate to a team taking a step back necessarily necessarily right at this point in the year, turnover is really one of the few data points we have that can be predictive for the coming season, right mm hmm. I think the X factor here is coaching, and not just head coaches that everyone knows about, but I'm talking coordinators, position coaches, strength coaches. This is where the sausage gets made. So if you're going to tell me that Brett Venables has to rebuild the defensive line, I feel a lot better about it than if you tell me who Brian Van Gorder's got to rebuild a defensive line.
Speaker 2: Yes, new defensive line coach for Clemson.
Speaker 1: Though, absolutely Yeah, But you understand the point. I think this is where coaching really fills in a lot of the gaps. If you do have a lot of turnover, I feel a lot better about it and what it means for your program moving forward. If I know you've got someone who has historically developed that position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a context thing. If you're losing players every year, it most likely means that you're sustaining success and players are leaving early and you've developed players. And I think the big thing with losing starters, it's a bit of a misnomer because when you're a program at Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama and you're winning games like forty nine to fourteen, you're getting rotation players a ton of playing time. And I think that's the sort of secret side is a lot of guys on these teams are not stepping on the field for the first time, even though they're technically quote first time starters. So they get they get time as three four on the depth chart into games, they get used to the game speed, they get used to getting hit, they get used to what the competition is like, and then they step in and get more playing time. I also think defensive starters, especially up front, replacing them if you're recruiting somewhat well. Defense is much more about effort than it is necessarily precision, like it is on offense, route running, understanding the timing of playing offensive line, and if you get guys in there who you know will be enthusiastic, you know who will wrap up I mean tackling. You're basically fighting for your life every play in a big conference if you're a weak side linebacker with you know Darius Geist or Royce Freeman or Christian McCaffrey coming at you. And if you are able to play with sustained energy, it doesn't matter as much that you're a first time starter. You play with sustained energy because of good coaching, good preparation. You're there, you're trained, you've had time perhaps as a rotation player of the year before. So yes, teams that year in and year out are replacing and reloading players. It's a good problem to have, and they're probably recruiting well. That said, there are certain programs where players leave every year because they don't like it there, they don't like the coaches. There's just turnover. That's a bad sign. But yes, I think it's sort of a misnomer, especially on defense the number of returning starters, but offensive line starters is a pretty nice metric.
Speaker 1: I think, though. I have another question here for you to hit me. What's the best mattress on the market today. Please tell me it's Casper, because that's my feeling. It is Casper. Have you taken years out of the box yet? I have not. I know I've slept on a Casper match before. I know it's more of a product. You saw my apartment. There's not a lot of room. We've got to figure out a situation. This is the road to divorce. D In, you just got married. We're sleeping all right. Well, I'll tell my story again because hundred percent tru Casper was gracious enough to send us a mattress to try out. I haven't sent it back. I was having all sorts of issues with the old mattress that we had back. Was bothering me, was waking up in the morning, my shoulder was dead, my hips felt out of alignment, just a physical disaster, and not just because I'm getting older. I started to realistically think that I had something to do with the mattress, and so I was in the market. They sent us a new one, and I'm not kidding. It's been inside the one hundred day grace period that they give you, and all of those physical ailments have left me. In the morning, I feel like a million bucks. I'm sleeping better the solid life Kate. She agrees that the old mattress was sort of a problem that we didn't even realize until we got Casper. Real world customers have said that it's like sleeping on a brioch b r iocch. Is that brio brios? Yeah, and spawn a very soft bread. Also like being cradled by the tinkling of baby laughter in the moonlight. Wow. If you write that you are a special human being on a public website, but people have done it, people feel very passionate about it. Dan, Casper will sell directly to you. They eliminate the commission driven inflation prices. If you go out to a a mattress place, it couldn't be easier. You go online. They deliver it to your door in a very compact box. It's a heavy box, Dan, but it's a compact box.
Speaker 2: It's great that they get it in there. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: It's magic. I don't know how they did it. Whether you're in the United States, the UK, or Canada, they offer free delivery, free returns, and like I said, a one hundred night risk free trial period. They know how important it is to truly sleep on a mattress before committing, so they give you that one hundred day grace period to check it out. And they say, hey, look, you spend one third of your life on a mattress. You might as well make account. Now you can get fifty bucks towards any mattress purchase by visiting Casper dot com slash verbal Casper dot com slash verbal. Use the code verbal V E R B A L Casper dot com slash verbal offer code verbal fifty bucks off any mattress purchase. Terms and conditions do apply, Tie.
Speaker 2: Asks our next question. This comes to us from a gentleman named ty Oh. If Wyoming has another good year, that's right, we're deep diving those cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Could Craig Boll.
Speaker 2: Be looking at offers next year? Nebraska?
Speaker 1: Possibly? All right? Now, rise, he spent a number of years. Right, Let's let's pause for one second here. Okay, Craig Boll was notable on our show last year, because.
Speaker 2: Because when he is wearing a headset, his head has the exact shape of the inside of the Oregon ow.
Speaker 1: I didn't believe you until I saw it myself. But there is a congruence there. Why strike up? Yeah, it's incredible. Yes, So he of oval shaped head? Could he be looking at offers next year?
Speaker 2: Dan something somebody who has been really really successful at infrastructure. That's how you sustain success no matter what level. And obviously had the success at North Dakota State finding you know, diamonds in the rough, you know, developing an NFL quarterback, perhaps two NFL quarterbacks with Josh Allen at Wyoming this year, you know, turned Wyoming I think from four wins to eight wins in a couple of years, went four to two to eight whatever, and has built something pretty special. They beat Boise State last year in a wild game. So obviously his time in Nebraska is interesting with a coach that I don't think a lot of fans are fully behind at the moment for Nebraska. But I don't think he would. I don't think Mike Riley would be out after this year, even like a disastrous four and eight, five and seven type campaign for the Huskers. I think it would be a little while before Nebraska opens up, but I could see perhaps a Big ten team if Mark Dantonio were to retire, somebody like that, maybe taking a chance. And I'm Illinois. If Lovey Smith doesn't work out, but he's fifty nine and at a certain point, if he's into his sixties, how likely is he going to be to take a job that requires another So this would be the third full rebuild from the ground up.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not in my sixties time, okay, fair enough, so I think it would be Yes.
Speaker 2: If say, here's the question for somebody like Craig Bull that he could step into and I think be successful pretty quickly. What if Pete Carroll retires for the Seahawks and they hire somebody I don't know who's already in that city, like Chris Peterson, then I think his name starts being floated for a huge job that's somewhat in the region. I don't think Craig Bull would take like Arkansas or Ole, miss I don't think there's the fit there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just it doesn't doesn't feel like a It doesn't feel like a good landing spot for me.
Speaker 2: You know, right, and you know, maybe Wazoo. Maybe I don't know, something opens up. Mike Cleach goes back to the Southwest somewhere. But I think it was pretty happy with Mike Leach. But you know, a job like that I think would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a question here, please on a on a much much different note. This one comes to us from a gentleman who I think asks a very thoughtful question college football related marriage. Right, oh oh, here we go this it comes to some Chris, and he said that he struggled to watch as much college football as he could when he was dating his wife. It was always pressured to quote unquote do something on saturdays. Now he's married, Now we bought a house. Does that mean I'll be able to watch more college football? It's a great question, hell of a question. I have lived this life, don Chris. I have lived this life for the last few college football seasons. This and only this is why I started alerting people about the window of opportunity. Mm hmm, all right, window of opportunity. Listen for it, live it. I'm going to continue doing it this season because Chris, it's not about you anymore. Your wife. She's got her right to enjoy a weekend too. The trick is getting out ahead of things. The trick is trick is knowing on a Wednesday night or a Thursday morning, when you've got the window to do the other things so as to maximize the time on your Saturday you do have to watch the best games at your disposal. Now working in your favor, I think is the fact that you just bought a house. Because if you bought a house, you spend a lot of money. You and your missus might be tightening the belt a little more cost conscious cook in enjoy your Saturday inside your new home. That could be your case, just to at a minimum keep college trouble on in the background. But I think the secret to really unlocking the optimal viewing experiences fall is the window of opportunity, knowing in advance when you can get out, when you can do those things that your missus wants to do, and still be around to watch the big games of the day.
Speaker 2: I say, scrap Sunday entirely, open up your schedule every Sunday.
Speaker 1: The NFL is trash. Just ignore it.
Speaker 2: Figure out really fun interesting date night plans. Friday night, I think your window of opportunity, maybe be productive around the house, round the new house. Saturday morning, maybe only half watch game day, quarter watch game day clean up. In my very limited experience as a married person, tie clean places makes everybody in a good mood.
Speaker 1: Right? Does that sound reasonable? I believe so? Yah? Okay.
Speaker 2: I would also say, if you've got a house, there's a good shot you might have a new kitchen, a new grill outside. I would figure out some sort of cooking plan for the fall, Like let's experiment, let's let's do barbecue stuff one week, let's maybe go healthy another week, and sort of set a game plan. Football term tie for that's like it's an activity that the two of you can do together.
Speaker 1: Invite people over.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when people have a new house, they like they like celebrating, they like partying, they like having a good time enjoying guests. Make those plans ahead of time. Yeah, and say this fall, we're doing X, Y and Z and in the morning Saturday mornings, we're cleaning. On Sunday, we're going for bike rides. You know all about that tie. You probably have a score bottle. You're scoring all over the place, right, absolutely, yeah, Yes, So the key is to form a weekend plan and not just say every Saturday IM watching football too bad? That I think is the key. We have another question that's sort of tangential.
Speaker 1: To this as well.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is from our friend Dan, longtime listener. Yeah, and I think you're going to recuse yourself and that's totally fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, which question are we talking here?
Speaker 2: Our friend Dan says, And this is tangential. At what age can I stop going to my niece's birthday party?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I say five? At that point she can have a party with her friends. Now, this can apply to college football season, also applies the rest of the year. But certainly if you are a grown person, if you're an adult, spending a Saturday afternoon at a park with a bunch of three year olds five year olds who you don't really know other than your relative may not be the first or second or seventeenth choice you have for how you're going to spend that weekend day. You've worked a long week. Maybe that's not the first thing you want to be doing. But I recognize that there are solutions and compromises to all problems, problems, and this isn't really a problem. This is your only problem.
Speaker 1: Life is fine.
Speaker 2: I would say, go out of your way to say, oh wow, there's great college foot afternoon. The parties at one, because generally little kid parties are in the afternoon, right, they're not staying up late.
Speaker 1: They're not right parties.
Speaker 2: So they're in the morning, they're in the afternoon. Whatever, it's great afternoon of college football. You say, no, I love my niece. I'm going early and I'm gonna I'm gonna play basketball with her. I'm gonna have a tea party with her. I'm gonna do something. Go out of your way to say to get out ahead of it, just like you were talking about preempt So maybe the parties called for one to four, and it's a princess party. There's some pizza, there's some ice cream cake. That's fine, it's a good time. Go at twelve thirty. Maybe help set up, have someone on one time, enjoy yourself, take some pictures, take a selfie, give a big hug. Maybe say listen, I'm gonna hang out for an hour because I wanted to stay home, but like, no, this is important to me. I'm gonna hang out with Alison. She's great. But then I'm gonna come back and watch football. I think the key is in preempting TI show up, go Friday night and hang out, then go Saturday morning a little bit early, Go a little bit early, hang out, show you care, but also preempt and schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I'm going to recuse myself of this one. Dan. I know you are. I know you are. I've got five nieces and nephews under the age of eight, and sure I love going to all their parties. It's it's difficult for difficult for me to try and craft a strategy to get out of them.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you were gonna say. I love going to all of their parties. It is one of my favorite things to do in life. Family is number one.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, I'm not reading. I'm not reading off a script here. I'm tied blink three times. I'm being very genuine. Okay, No, I know, I believe I'm being very genuine here. Usually I feel like a jackass when I show up and I'm in the corner watching watching. Yes see, that's no good for anybody, right, I know, but you know I do my best to try and make both work. Obviously, are our circumstance here is a little bit extreme in that we have to pay attention to these games because what we do on Sunday mornings. But I don't know, Dan, maybe like fifteen, maybe whenever they get too old for you to be cool. At that point, can you can you stop going? But for the meantime, I'm just I'm cool with going.
Speaker 2: You don't give it that you don't What do you think about this has not anything to do with your life. What do you think about my strategy of preempting.
Speaker 1: I think it's very thoughtful. Yeah, I think it's very thoughtful. I think it's important, especially in their formative years, that you put the effort forth to let them know that you care about their birthday. Sure, yeah, I think it's a I think it's a good play if you could pull it off, Dan and Dan uh, so be it.
Speaker 2: I don't have the same problem because this is also the day job, so correct Jody with and I knew before. Yeah, like listen, Saturdays are our Dan workdays in the third person. But yes, I think the preemptive thing because I really like Jody's family. I really like hanging out with them, and they know the deal. So I make every effort I can and it's honestly not that difficult. Okay, yeah, that would be my strategy for Dan.
Speaker 1: All right, where you want to go next? Let's go too.
Speaker 2: Oh, only a couple more questions. Uh sh Michigan State be worried about program stability because of a bad twenty sixteen Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: What is your long term prospect for the Spartans? Are they in a good place? Obviously, they weren't built in a number. You know, every team can't do what Alabama does. Michigan State, are you worried?
Speaker 1: Ah, a little bit. Okay, it was a bad year for Michigan State, and there's a whole legal side to it that we won't get into that was particularly troubling. But as it relates to football three and nine last year with a relatively experienced team, and I think that's the rub because this year they're a lot less experienced and probably ish a borderline bowl team. If all goes well, I think twenty eighteen is probably the year that they start making noise again. I'm not ready to start worrying now, but if it's like a five and seven season and we don't see a lot of strides forward by the end of the year, I could see this being more of a relevant talking point as we enter twenty eighteen. I think that's reasonable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michigan State has always been a team, and they've recruited as they've gotten better and have gone to Rose Bulls whatever, they've recruited better. You know, two and three stars became three and four stars, and that is a surefire indicator that the brand has come up. That Mark D'Antonio and his staff, and even weathering some changes Paton or Dooosey going over to pitt they've still resonated with high school players. And you know, it's tough in the state of Michigan when you have such an outsized personality recruiting so well with Jim Harbaugh and Michigan, But I don't think they're in a horrible place. I think it's so difficult to maintain eight nine, ten win eleven win seasons that you are due for a lull, You are due for a dut of a year. Maybe the players don't come together as well as other squads have. Maybe the coaches and players are on different pages, and you know, everybody's at fault. When the season goes to the three and nine, four and eight, two and ten level. So I'm not selling on Michigan State. I still think there's a lot there. Marked Antonio is not somebody who I think a lot of smart people will continue to underestimate. But I think it's it's fair to sort of recalibrate expectations with Michigan State's future.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna go rapid fire here. Let's do it around the questions that we haven't address yet. What is your favorite non sports video game? Dan tiger Wood's Golf? How dare you non sports? Street Fighter two Turbo? All right, I'll go Mario Kart. I love the Mario or anything in which I get to fly a plane or a spaceship around and shoot at things. Mario Kart for which system currently? The switch is pretty cool? Oh you got the switch? I have the switch? Yeh? You like it? I like Mario Kart on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm an N sixty four Mario Kart guy.
Speaker 1: But that's okay. Question here about the Big Twelve. We had a question about Texas and if they're going upset anybody this year, if they'll be better. Also had another question regarding the Big Twelve. Will we see three two loss teams in the Big Twelve, which I think is an interesting question, you know, because Oklahoma has to replace a lot Oklahoma states a liability because of the defense. The TC is still as Kenny Hill. So I think the answer is yes, absolutely, you could see three four teams with two losses in Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: There's nobody I'm putting my foot down for in the Big Twelve right now, maybe outside of Oklahoma, but not even positive about that. I think it's going to be a wild year in the Big Twelve. And I'm going to stand by what I said a few weeks ago when we last talked about this. The team Texas has the best chance of upsetting, so somebody that's probably ranked in the top fifteen or twenty based on circumstance early in the year. I would have liked it better for one or week two. But USC has Stanford the week before Texas. I think that's not a great body blow spot for the Trojans, who don't have a week off all year, but especially early on, I think that may be the spot, especially given Tom Herman and his ability to lead teams to upsets over more talented teams.
Speaker 1: In September, let's go back to Abbott, please, He's a true patriot for asking this question. He's talking about sandwiches. Dan, I'm ready a topic near and dear to your heart. His dream is to one day open a sandwich shop. If you had a sandwich named after you, what would it be or what would be in it? Anything goes I you know, it is an interesting question. Mine would obviously be the Big Hog. I think that goes without saying. But I just if you had a sandwich shop, what would be your strategy for naming the sandwiches in your shop?
Speaker 2: I'd probably name them after comedians, actors, maybe friends. My specific sandwich would be called the dan Witch, obviously. Sure, we're talking about roast turkey, spicy soaper soda, maybe a spicy aoli, a spicy Mao sai of some kind.
Speaker 1: A donkey sauce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please never say that again on this show. Thinly sliced lettuce like Razor Razor Razor.
Speaker 1: Thin.
Speaker 2: The thinner the lettuce is sliced, the better. We're talking dill pickle slices and probably some mustard and an option to get a side of Marinera to dip in.
Speaker 1: Not tomatoes, anything but tomatoes for you, anything but tomatoes.
Speaker 2: So I'm going with that spicy sour crisp combination, probably on a some sort of like french bag at French Roll.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think it'd be fun to name sandwiches after older or obscure college football players. Okay, so who stands out to you? I mean, nobody stands out to me per se. But if I could go into a sandwich shop and order the knit bowlcar, that'd be pretty fun.
Speaker 2: I think you just got to go last name the best old last names, like the Entman after Steve Enttman would be great.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go to only only Lineman. All Okay, that works? Yea. Along the lines of food, what is the most overrated food in the most overrated food? My answer is sushi.
Speaker 2: I disagree with them, not a sushi fan at all. Overrated food. Burgers, Yeah, I love burgers, but they're fine.
Speaker 1: All right? Another food question, what is the best tailgate food? And then also a question here about what is the proper duration for a tailgate? What's the best time to tailgate? A bunch in here, let me talk about the time to tailgate. I think the best kickoff for a tailgate is a three point thirty game, because with you, you know you're not peer pressured into getting there early. And if drinkings your thing, cracking one open at eight am, you've got time to do that if you're interested. You've also got time to get yourself in the proper headspace before a game starts, and there's probably enough time to come back afterwards and toss the pigskin around, talk the game through with some of your buddies. So three thirty for me is the is the proper kickoff time for a good tailgate. As for the best food at a tailgate, maybe I'm biased because of my Pennsylvania roots, but a good cheese steak sure at a tailgate girl, Absolute peppers and onions, some Amorosa rolls, That's where it's at for me.
Speaker 2: I think you're right on ty. I think the three thirty thing is right. You can get there as earlier as late as you want. If you want to be there in the morning just chilling out. If you want to get there at noon or one and just eat and go into the stadium also workable. The keys to good tailgate food, I've tailgated at probably thirty five or forty places. Now, you want a delivery vehicle and you want structural integrity, so that by that I mean some sort of Doughey something with meat inside. So whether it's tortillas, whether it's bread, whether it's rolls, whatever, and you don't want something that's going to fall apart on you. So barbecue is great. Give me the brisket and a sandwich, me the sausage into tortilla, Give me something. Give me you want peeda, bread with pulled pork and slow whatever. Wonderful. That's a great idea. I don't want to be using forks and knives. I don't want to get my hands crazy dirty if I'm reaching for beers, if I'm reaching for cookies, if I'm throwing a football around, if I'm playing cornhole. I want a delivery vehicle, and I want structural integrity. So to me, the greatest possible tailgate food would be like brisket tacos. You're mixing the South, you're mixing the West coast. Nothing better than that. Get some pico de gayo, get some salsa, Get whatever you need. Brisket tacos, some some hot corn tortillas.
Speaker 1: You're in a great place. Somebody asked us for an under the radar pac twelve school to go and tailgate and watch a game under the radar. Pac twelve.
Speaker 2: Washington's really fun, but they themselves as a team are not under the radar because it's on a lake. Stanford is very chill and you'll get to watch good football. But in terms of having a fun atmosphere, at least early on in the season if they're not terrible, Arizona is really fun. Tucson's out of the way, and I hope that better this year, but good food options ample spacing. Tucson itself is fun as a town. It's pretty hot, so they have their games at night, so it's a later game. The clientele tie attractive. Yeah, I've heard a lot of attractive men and women going to Arizona games, so it's a good time. I would say under the radar. My answer is Arizona.
Speaker 1: All right. I got a question here. Will we ever see a team of college football that subscribes to the never punt philosophy?
Speaker 2: I wish, but no, there are too many people second guessing and questioning, boosters, assistants, you know, presidents, whatever. It's a great strategy. I think we're going to get closer to that. I think teams will be more mathematically sound about going forward on fourth down on the opponent's side of the field. But no, the never punt philosophy, I don't think we'll make.
Speaker 1: It's too it's too risky in a profession coaching that has too much turnover and too much money. I don't even think it's risky.
Speaker 2: I think the math is generally on the side of somebody doing that, but it's risky in terms of people understanding what you're doing.
Speaker 1: All right, rank these four vacation spots DAN beach, a foreign country, a city, and the mountains.
Speaker 2: Foreign country city, beach mountains.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm writing these down. I've got I'm gonna go beach Foreign Foreign beaches are great. Yeah, if we could get like a merger of the two, that'd be cool. I'll go beach, foreign country city, and then the mountains. Fourth.
Speaker 2: Next year, we're doing a live show in Barcelona. We're gonna get ties some harmon beautiful. All right, let's close out on this, Dan, We've covered most of them. We couldn't get to the hipster team, we couldn't get to lost rivalries and bringing back all the alumnuses and or alumni as it's known.
Speaker 1: Somebody wanted to know about the single moment of joy. I like this question, really cool question from Matt. He said, what single moment defines the official start of college football for each of you? The first kickoff? First course, so headgear pick your team's first game. Further, what single moment do you look forward to every Saturday in the fall. What's that little moment that still brings you all so much joy after all of these years?
Speaker 2: Two parter ty and I'm sure you have an answer. Yeah, first one, waking up that first Saturday morning, that first Saturday morning, and it's not about your own team and the hope that you have for the fall. It's just saying, this is the first Saturday morning of the college football season, and that's the greatest thing ever. Let me get some breakfast, let me turn on game day, let me just get in this moment. So that's the one A, one B is when your team lines up for the first kickoff, either kicking it off or receiving that moment of just like here is the potential energy of the season that's about to get kinetic science terms.
Speaker 1: Okay, for me, about you? For me, it's course in the head gear Yeah, it's it's super fun. You know what, It's been tried and true, and maybe it's a bit tried at this point, but it's never not amusing for me. I always smile. I always chuckle when I see it. And also on the flip side, also on game day, the cheese at real fan cam. Beyond that Rinaldi making me cry. Sure, I think it was Jimmy V who once said that you should laugh and cry every day. That's a full one. So it's a full Saturday if you get the laughter of the head gear and then the crying from either Ronaldi or Notre Dame's defense one or the other.
Speaker 2: Here's my one c The first time I hear Dan Tye, I need picks of the week. That's all in a special moment, and that's one hundred percent true. When I hear that for the first time, I think to myself, all right, let's do this.
Speaker 1: I will be jazzed up for that first first previous show that we do. Sure, one hundred percent, I always do. I always get pumped up for that.
Speaker 2: You know what bums me out about game day being that moment though, is coming.
Speaker 1: To your sit Hey.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, waiting all year and this is we get Cowboy Troy great again.
Speaker 1: What do you gotta do? You gotta go out to Celiverble dot com. You gotta sign up for the newsletter. There we will give you information about the t shirts which we're going to release at some point. The live show, which again will either be August fifth or twelfth. We're still working on the date and the time and the location and the moderator or the procter if you will, for our live Fantasy Things Draft, which would be somewhere in the good old New York City elsewhere. We are now available on Spotify. I literally got the email as we were recording. Love Spotify. We are now on Spotify as well, So check us out there, or go on out to iTunes, or check us out on Google Play or anywhere fine podcasts are sold. You can find the solid verbal. Every little bit helps if you'd like to write a review or give us a five star rating. All that stuff helps us as we now build towards the college football season. We've got some cool stuff coming up, as we've mentioned time and time again with our How Recruiting Work show, with our Mystery Show with Bill Barnwell, with any of our preview shows, or with the much anticipated history of Solid Verbal ten years in show, which we're gonna do. I believe we're going to drop that July twenty sixth. Yes, that sounds right. A lot of fun stuff here on the horizon, and who knows what pops up between now and then. We've always got things on the horizon here in the verbal true. So for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ty hilden Brand, thanks again for listening to the show. Subscribe, Tell your friends keep sending in those questions and comments. We will catch you all in a week. In the meantime, stay solid, peace,