Speaker 1: Hold up every day.
Speaker 2: Up Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: You don't finish for y'all done?
Speaker 3: Yep, it's the world's most dangerous morning show, The Breakfast Club. Charlamagna, God, just hilarious, DJ Envy, justin, DJ n Bey on here today, but ll Coolbay Law and Lerossa is and we're talking to a very special brother man.
Speaker 1: His name is Jared Adams.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's got a book out called Redeeming Justice, but he is a civil rights attorney and justice reform advocate with an amazing story.
Speaker 1: Good morning, my brother.
Speaker 2: Good morning, good morning. Thank you both for having me on here.
Speaker 4: Thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: Absolutely you know you were You were wrongfully convicted and spent ten years in prison for a crime you didn't commit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you got seventeen I.
Speaker 2: Believe right, seventeen years old.
Speaker 1: Seventeen but you went on to become an attorney yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not the first to do it, but seventeen years old, wrongfully convicted, my conviction being over reversed, reversed after almost ten years with the help of the Wisconsin Innocence Project. And then it was what I saw inside the prison that really at me on the journey that I'm on right now. So when I get to this maximum security prison, you know, I'm one of the youngest you know, inmates who's walking around this prison. By the time I'm on my way out, you know, of this prison, I'm looking at mainly eighty ninety percent of the prison, it's seventeen eighteen year old men of color. So literally the prison boom that we talk about right now, that was when I was doing my time, and it was just it was a sight to see. So when I left for out of those doors, I told myself, not only was I not gonna go back, but I'm gonna try to do something to keep people from going there and pull out as many brothers and sisters. Now increasingly that I'm doing as I can.
Speaker 3: No, I was thinking, man, when you walk into a courtroom now as a lawyer, what part of that teenage version of you is still present in your mind?
Speaker 2: The part of it well is too. It's too you know. I would say, it's two spirits. When I go in there. Number One, I thank God that I'm able to walk in there now know a champion of justice, you know, being able to pull people out. But then also when I go in there, there's a bit of you know, y'all try to try to murk me. You tried to take me out, you know what I mean. So I'm walking through swinging arms like George Jefferson and this boy, you know what I mean, like like legitly. So there's a there's a there's a moment of being proud. There's definitely being humble. But it's a reminder that man, look, this is all I fight. You understand what I'm saying. There there are more families affected now by our system, and we got to find a way to link arms and create a human chain.
Speaker 4: How do you identify like what clients you choose to take on.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an interesting question because for a long time, Lauren, I was a sucker for all my son and.
Speaker 4: You know my mom yeh see, anybody behind bars is tough.
Speaker 2: It is. But then also like my going through my journey, I went through it with my mama, my mom, a single black mother. I go through it with her and we became tighter. And so once I got my law degree, and it's to help answer the question to you know how you gotta wait in the mail for the law degree to actually get to the house. So when you get to the house. My mama tell me I come over there, and I thought, I want her to keep it. And so she started crying and I say, well, we ain't crying no more, man were doing good. She said, no, no, I'm not crying because I'm sad. I'm crying because I know you just hang onna go try to make money. You're gonna realize that there are other black mails with single parents and they gonna need your help, and you're gonna help them. Right. So, for a long time I was a sucker for that story. And then I get down deep in these cases and realize that it wasn't exactly what it was. But it never disturbed me from from like perfecting the process of the intake unit that we have right now. Right I have an organization called Life After Justice where we review these cases and we try to select these cases on the cases that can do a couple of different things. Right. We always want to see people get out, but also if we can get out and make a change legislatively or or some rule that would prevent those are the cases that we highlight and we want to put at the top of the list.
Speaker 4: I saw you working on d Bence Brother's case. Yes, right, so I know that there's no decision at this point.
Speaker 2: Where it is one, okay, they granted the decision in the Vince case that she saw mat if you know it, don't know. Two white brothers from Wisconsin were wrongfully convicted and spent twenty seven years in prison for the rape and the murder and the kidnapping of a bar you know bartender. Right. They ended up doing DNA testing exhuming the body of the person who actually did it and was a serial rapist, and they cleared these men. But when they came home, they came home past the age of retirement. And literally there's a statute in Wisconsin that no matter how many years you've spent in prison, the maximum you will get is twenty five thousand dollars. Right, so you have to petition the legislators and make an argument and say, look, this is why they deserve more money. They did not make a decision up until like a month ago, about three weeks ago, and they agreed to pay these men and a mis million dollars plus the twenty five thousand, and it's something that they desperately needed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's like, that's amazing. But when you get involved in these cases like this, right, even though you know that there's a wrong because of the way the system is set up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do.
Speaker 4: You kind of save yourself from like if there is disappointment at the end, because you know, yeah, it's fifty.
Speaker 2: It's continued therapy. Like I still go to therapy right now to this day, you know, because I have to balance my emotions no matter what the tentacles of when you come in contact with this system that we have in the United States, the tentacles of that contact will always reach you through life. And the only way you can maintain that balance is with constant therapy. And so I encourage therapy. I do it myself because there are there are we take it on the chin a lot, Lauren, And so we have to find a way to continue to get up off the mat. And we who are off the mat need to find a way to keep extending our palm and pulling people up with us.
Speaker 4: And that was a historic amount that they were awarding Wisconsant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was, it was. It was. It was an amount where it's been met before, but like only twice, okay, right, So don't they don't necessarily give it out, and right now there's a bill on the floor right now to make it, you know, a law that you will get fifty thousand dollars a year not having to go through what they went through and hold on and wait and hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree with you on therapy.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a big proponent of therapy myself, man, And I always say, you know, heal people, Healed people will help heal people.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: Hurt people will continue to hurt.
Speaker 2: Hurt people absolutely. And my journey from listen, my journey through mental health wasn't easy. Man. I thought I was going to a damn fish fry. My mom and Aunties was like, man, baby, look we need you to like you're going to see the lady. Yeah, we need you let it out, you know. And I think that in our community, we are we are we rejected because we think it's a sign of weakness, because you're like, oh, man, they's crazy he going to see this and going to see that. But for me, I was on autopilot when I got out because all of my guys, man, it wasn't turning up no more. They had kids, they had careers, So I thought I could work twenty four hours a day to catch up for almost a decade that was taken and it wasn't mentally healthy for me. So going through that, I'm understanding now that the real how I look at this when it comes to my mental health is these are moments of decompression and sometimes, man, you have to go and decompress so that way you can have the right state of mind to respond to all the stresses that the world has to offer each and every day.
Speaker 3: I gotta get you on, you know, you know, I do the mental Wealth Explorer, I do.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: Shaka was telling me about that. He was like, man, make sure you talk about that so you.
Speaker 3: Can get on with that problem that we're going next year. We're gonna do I want to do three or four cities next year. So okay, I definitely need you there. But you got a memoir Redeeming Justice, right, and the subtitle is from Defendant to Defender? Yes, what was the hardest chapter to write? Emotionally? And what did you learn about yourself when you was putting your story on paper?
Speaker 2: So it took me three years to write the book. And part of the reason why it took me those three years is because I wanted to read all of the books of people with stories of wrong for conviction because I wanted it to be honestly, I wanted it to be and I wanted to be a salute to my mom and my aunts. Man, they didn't have to hold me down like that, but they did. So when I write it, and when you look at the book, you think it's a wrong for Conviction book, But if you look at the first opening, it's a dedication to my aunts who sugar, Honey and pizzas looking from Chicago dough. You know what I'm saying. That's the big things, right, And so I sent the shout out to them, because man, they did stuff like keep me alive when I wanted to die, and that boy, I would get a letter with a verse every day from one of them, because they told me, baby, look, we're gonna acknowledge that they've incarcerated Joe body, but we will never let them imprison your mind. And so I wrote this story from a perspective of not just what the person goes through while they're in prison, what does the family go through Because my mama went from litis. My mother was a big hat wearing peppermint passing Front Road Church. But when I went through this, she got tired of answering the question in Charlemagne, what happened to Jared? Where he at? You know what I mean? It became hard for her, and so I wanted to send a shout out to her and then also continue to pay this about what I'm doing in life right now.
Speaker 4: When you talk about like your mom and your aunt right and you said that, they was like, Yo, you gotta go see the lady when you're helping, because I mean, you get people the justice that they deserve, right, but a lot of times they don't identify that they have issues that they need to deal with. So now you're that person in their life when you're doing that. Like how easy or how hard is it to tell somebody, hey, you need to go get some help, Like we're going to figure out the job and to stay, but you need to go get some help because you're trying to live your life.
Speaker 2: It's a difficult conversation. But I can use a story that I just had. So I got a client in Chicago, guy by the name of Shaquille Williams. He was wrongfully arrested for a murder that they knew he didn't commit. So we are going through the suit and one of the toughest things about a civil suit is a deposition because you get you get Pepper with questions, and so he's being asked these questions that are emotionally triggering to him where you know, he lost his mom while he was locked up. He now has a wife, and I have to explain to him and encourage him that you have to keep going to therapy because there are situations where when someone gets out of a place, like a system like we have, you have to learn how to not treat your wife like your selling and that's a difficult thing to do, and you should never want to do it alone. So what I try to do is live my life and say look what I've done, what I've done to make it more easier for guys to be receptive. These are some hard dudes who think that you know, they can't show a sign of weakness. So if I'm telling them that I have went through and did this time and I don't walked the same hard tears you have, but I still revert back to therapy because it has helped me tie my shoes in a race that is life.
Speaker 3: Ooh ooh, I've heard you say the criminal justice system is rigged, yeah, and that justice is for sale. So when you look at the current system, what are the top two or three pressure points that most clearly show you how like money and race still determine these outcomes.
Speaker 2: Look at what we got going on right now, man, Like, just look at what we what we got we have. We have a system that it depends on who you know and what you have right, and it will determine your result. We are seeing right now our justice department, you know, being used in such a way that is scary, but also being used in a way that we must ask ourselves, like why they weren't doing this for us, you know what I mean? Like while we wasn't getting this right. So I think that the low hanging fruit is this. We must find a way to step in where there are clear gaps in our system, and there are wealth gaps that determine a whole lot of the sentences and stuff like that. We need to get as loud as we can for Lakeisha as we do for Bryant. You get what I'm saying. And I think that I really do believe that our way of fixing fixing the system itself. And Angela Rye and a lot of other of my colleagues say the same thing. We have to focus in the individual states, right, That's what we have to focus at. But once we start to work together in these individual states, I think that we must then be able to link arms and start to petition the change that can make it up to the Supreme Court to make that governmental change that will affect the United States. And it's all in its entirety. So in short, what we need to do is the people who are closest to the fire usually know how to put it out, but that the ferses from the water holes. We need to find a way to feed the waterholes to the people who are on the ground, the activists, the people who are going to the courtrooms, the people who can tell you, look, don't vote for this judge, vote for that judge, because this judge will make the change. However, we can go back and make sure that our vote counts. We have to be educated in order to do it, but that is what we have to do in order to start to tinker away at this mighty, mighty system.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you about this.
Speaker 3: That's why I got up out because the track you're on is I want to stay on this track.
Speaker 1: What did you think, man?
Speaker 3: Because this really really disappointed me when I saw our good brother, my son, and that's my daughter the front page of the New York Post labeled as a crime boss. Because Doron Madani is essentially doing what you're saying people should do. He's going to get somebody who's been through the system, who's reformed, put them in place on the Public Safety Committee. I don't think that's a better representative to have than somebody like a my song. And for him to be demonized like this, how did that make you feel?
Speaker 2: I mean, look at it. I felt attack. I felt attacked with that brother and I know him, like you know what I'm saying, and me and me and we just talked about a case. I have a new Jersey a few, you know, weeks ago. The case is Rore Hee and Brian. You could look at it. The kid was shot in the back of the neck. We got an assessive, assessive, uh, you know, force you going. But I was just rotating with that brother. So when I looked at that and I saw it, it came up on my timeline and I immediately felt attacked. You know what I'm saying as if it was me, And I think we all should have that type of response. And I'll just say this for anyone who's questioning, you know this move right when we just came through the pandemic, right, and we got through the pandemic through vaccines, right. So the vaccines are actually what the virus that has turned into an antibody, right, and we injected in ourselves as a defense mechanism. If this brother, which I know he will do with his experience being in this position, he is a voice that is the closest thing to the problems that we have to be able to provide us a solution. Why would we not want that? If we have a president right now who is the president, and he's been convicted of something, why can't we have a brother like this and more sisters like this in positions where they can say, look, I know what it's like right to be at home, not have childcare, and have to not be able to work, So that way they can provise the solution you want us to all come off dedicating all these dumbass arguments that you hear about with black people on snap. They don't stay on that. Well, why don't you put the people who have had the experience and why they had to be on snap position to be able to provide solutions so that we could snap snap the fuck out of here, if that's what you're all want to do, right?
Speaker 1: Is it just bothers me?
Speaker 3: Man? When I see your brother, you know, who went to prison, what he got convicted with.
Speaker 1: Ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Years old, forty nine You've you've been a model citizen since you've been home, and as soon as something like this happens, you get labeled a crime boss.
Speaker 2: A crime ball?
Speaker 1: Is it not liable?
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, what I would do is this I'm and I'm offering this for this brother if you want, I would strongly send them a letter, you know, and a letter would be a cease and desist, and would also, you know, give the real facts, cause that brother ain't never been no crime boss. Never understand. But look, let me tell you how scary this is and what they did to him. And this is what this reminded me of. So we we had the rico that was made famous by Judie Allen in New York taking down and tackling the mod problem. Right shortly after his success in doing that, who do you think became the target of the rico? Exactly inside a neighbor hoods that you and I know where guys were CouchSurfing, but all of a sudden when they got to federal court, they were named to be the federal you know, a guy who did everything and they're the king pin and all of that to be able to slam, slander us and continue to keep us in the historical depiction that has hindered black men forever. That's exactly what I thought about when I saw her.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's not switching gears. I guess it's kind of in the same vein. There was a case that I know that you were involved in as well, the Waverley case. Yes, yes, I thought we're talking about like people not being able to live down what people title you at. So talk a bit about that case and how those brothers were found not guilty but still sitting and then you had to fight, like explain a little bit, because when I run it, I'm like, this makes no sense. Do you still have to stick with that the rest of your life?
Speaker 2: And it's a good outcome to that too, So I'm glad you brought that up, and let me also send a shout out to Ta Mika Mallory and also mindstn'. That's where I first became in contact with them because they saw my push on that story and they gave me a platform to tell that story at a larger place and help because we had to get them out on a presidential commutation. So here's what happened in this case. Two brothers down in Waverley, Virginia, and Waverley, Virginia has a dirty history. They are one of the last known towns to do a public open lynching, right, So that's the atmosphere in which these guys are charged with the murder of a police officer. And you know, they ain't got no money, ain't a lot of platforms and stuff down, ain't a lot of exposure. This is nineteen ninety eight. So they are talked into taking plea deals that should already signal to you all this some bullshit, right, So they plead to taran accessory after the fact and Terrence pled to a man slat of charge in this case even though there was nothing to no evidence at all. But they were theyasically told by their attorney. Look, man, if you get the death penalty, which they were facing, ain't no way out of that even if you did you know, if you did not do it, you can get the death penalty. People get locked up and go to jail for stuff they didn't do all all the time. So they took these plea deals. When they took the plea deals, they thought they were just going to have to do five years and the other one had, you know, time released. The fans came around and indicted them as king pins of being drug dealers, and they said the murder was a result of them being king pins, right, and they were able to retry them in federal court. They go to federal court, they're found not guilty of the murder of this police officer, but they're found guilty of selling drugs, and they were sentenced to life in prison as an enhancement based on their guilty please in state court. So as a result, they're in federal prison for twenty something plus years, not because they're found guilty of killing the officer, but because they played guilty to save their life and their life was still taken from them. It is one of the most insane stories ever. We went to the last hour of Biden's presidency and he finally signed a commutation to commute their sentence. They came home and they've discharged off of their their their federal papers, and they're released. And we just did an event with them and we're working on the documentary to tell their story because we're trying to change the law. You should not be able to be found not guilty but still sentenced to life based on allegations in other matters. It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 3: How did y'all get the Biden administration to move because they weren't. They weren't moving on nothing.
Speaker 2: Man, Charla Mane, when I tell you the squeakiest we'll get the oil. Man, I was squeaky in the motherfucker like I just I wouldn't stop. Man. I went around and thankfully I got the support of some Virginia politicians and legislators. Man, we're talking about Tim Kaine and a bunch of folks who it took me nine years to get them out, So it wasn't like it was no short things. So they knew who I was. And I just think I think it was a matter of me being constant, me being persistent in God opening them doors.
Speaker 3: To be honest with you, absolutely, how do you determine whether or not a potential client is actually innocent?
Speaker 2: Sometimes you just got to go through it to find out, man. And I ain't gonna lie to you. Look, I done been, you know, thousands of dollars in hours and hours in only for DNA results to come back, and it wasn't telling me the truth. But let me say this, man, that can't stop us from sending the elevator back down, That can't keep us from extending our palms man, because there are some innocent brothers and oversentssed sisters and brothers who deserve our help. They need our help. And so if I get one out of ten, I take that one. I mean, that's how important it is to our culture, man, that we make sure we don't have a bad experience that makes us close to do it to everybody.
Speaker 4: My question for you, when I at my last job, I used to do these stories whenever we would hear about like Kim Kardashian or like you know, just any of the attorneys she was working with getting involved rough celebrities in general would speak out about people needing to be put back in front of a judge because something was done wrong in the legal system. There would be the other side, the families of these people who thought, Okay, I finally have peace, the case is solved, now we can rest, and then this comes back up and it kind of opens up a doorback for that right. How do you as an attorney deal with that because you want justice for the people who are wrong the justice system, but then it's opening up a whole new world of like chaos for this family connected to the person who yes was harmed.
Speaker 2: Here's what we do in our practice and what we do at Life After Justice. So after we do their full investigation, we presented to the victim's family as well, because we deserve it. They we think they deserve to have full closure, not the closure that they have been forced to get. So that case of Terrence and Faran, I took the complete and total investigation to the family of the officer and at one point his daughter was like, look, I have my attorney read this and I'm going to provide you with the letter that says I want complete and total transparency. I want to know what happened to my father. That letter went a long way and helping, and so I think that that is a way that you can do it. I think it's deserving, right, because you're opening up wounds and someone tragically lost their life and situations like that. I think we have to be respectful in mindful of everyone's feelings.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about you know, the prison library, right. I read when you started reading case law in the prison library. Yeah, and helping other guys with their cases. We always hear about that, Yeah, But and you did that before you ever set foot in the law school classroom. How did that prison law school shape you differently than the traditional legal education.
Speaker 2: I think what it did for me is personally, it helped me to better understand my clients and listen. Also, I mean I think that as an attorney, I think sometimes man, we can just be like, I know what I'm doing and stuff like that. I think what it did for me is it made me understand that just as portant as important as it is when in the case, and you also need to personalize yourself and learn from your clients and stuff like that. And so I think that I'm sitting across from guys who are you know, rightfully convicted, wrongfully convicted and I'm helping them out. And I think what it helped me do was master become a master class of the client communications that is necessary to be victorious in these tough cases.
Speaker 4: You know what I think about, and this is a lot of times I think about even people who are locked up right that may actually have done what they did and they need like some form of rehabilitation. Are we ever going to figure out a system that like actually rehabilitates people but also balances punishment, because I do think there is a form of punishment needed, but when it's your family member, you don't feel like that. But realistically, like it's like the conversation we have around like defund the police and what is actually supposed to mean what people think We're saying, Yeah, you need police, but you need them to like be human.
Speaker 2: Why can't we just advance, Like we've advanced in technology, man, And we advanced in technology from learning, right, we learned from our mistakes. We got better. Used to have to remember the phone with the core, man, My mama had a fifty extension court. We used to walk around to how we go to the basement at that phone. We've advanced from that, so it's like, why can't we advance in these things that affect our lives as much as this criminal system does. And I'll tell you in my perspective. So this is what I think is the problem. We have an adversarial system. And I don't care if it's a spitball contest or a pencil popping contest. You gonna want to win. Right when you win this contest. I'll give you an example of what I mean by that. I did a study of broad in London because I was trying to get through law school and the only way you can get like a bunch of credits was if you did this study of Broad. So I went over there. I spent about four weeks in The assignment was you need to go to their criminal system, see what's there, and write a paper on what you think will work in our system. So when I got there and you sit up in the top, you know of this thing called the Old Bailey or whatever it is, right, and you look down at the barristers, who are both men and women, and they're doing these arguments. And I remember this lady man. She was kicking man. She was kicking this dude butt up in there right with the argument that she had, and it was it was involved in the sense of the subject. It was involving actually a rape case, right, And then I seen her come back like three days later, and now she was actually defending a guy who was accused of a rape with the same passion and the same just vigorous, like this is my client. What I walked away from with that is you know what, That's how they're able to preserve the sympathy and empathy that is missing out of our system. We just want to win as defense attorneys. We just want to win as prosecutors, and sometimes when that happens, the thing that has lost is justice. I'm just going to say.
Speaker 4: It's been like that for like this whole thing and like breaking this whole system. When people had that conversation, I'm like, it's been like this for so many years, Like it's so far beyond us. Like sometimes I wonder, why do we believe that it's going to just be able to change and like you'll be able to change even people's spirits to not want to just win the case.
Speaker 2: Man, We got to get people closer to what is really happening, you know, and that's going to make people want to change. I think that, you know, until it, until Trump was actually prosecuted by the system, don't you think he had a problem with the system? You know what I mean? No, until he was prosecuted by it, then he had a problem with the system. Right, So I think that I.
Speaker 3: Still don't think he has a problem with how it does certain people, meaning black and brown people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true too, but.
Speaker 4: He has because his privilege when he encountered the system is a lot different and a lot of times you got people who create do these like you know, certain collar crimes and put in certain facilities. Yeah, so different than what we know. Like when I have a family member going to prison, it's a different experience. So even their close experience doesn't change how they view things because it's different for them.
Speaker 2: It's my opinion, right, it is different for them. But but I use something my grandfather used to use, which is man. You know, look, sometimes people don't underst shit to that shit on the bottom of their shoe, right, And that's that's really one of them things where it's like we need our leaders and I'm not gonna identify and point out on names. We need our leaders man to start to make the quick rapid change that we're seeing right now with this current administration. Man, Like, legitly, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think they had a courage to do it now, even if they get back in position with all the tools at their disposal, I don't think they got the courage.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll just say this, listen, don't do the job then, you know what I mean, Like, if you don't have the courage to do what is necessary, don't do the job like we need y'all. Like, legitly, man, we need y'all. Especially as an attorney in court every day, Man, I'm seeing every day how slight changes could change the system. Like, for example, why do public defenders have the budget of a school teacher but the caseload of an entire administration. It ain't fair, you know what I mean? Like, so why can't we come in and just change that system alone? Ninety percent of the public relies on public defense, Like public defenders are different organizations like that. So it's like, man, if you want to change this system, why can't we change the budget to that? If you look at the pot chart and the Department of Justice, we spend the majority of that on what they call policing right, that's locking people up, that's building new prisons. We got a smart you can't even see that dot on what they spend on reintegration and mental health care. So it's like, why not just start there and you tell me if it worked. I give you another example. We've seen the war on drugs create mass incarceration. There was billions of dollars that were spent on the war on drugs. Let me see a war on childcare. Let me see a war on the school systems in Hyrack where I'm from. Let me see a war on putting them jobs back that in those areas, replacing those liquor stores with those jobs. And you talk to me in ten years and you tell me if that ain't produced a better product.
Speaker 3: Man, you said something earlier when you were talking about like the prosecutors. Man, it made me think, like you stent on both sides, right defended and attorney, what's one thing you wish every prosecutor, judge and cop had to experience or learn before they're allowed to hold that kind of power over somebody's life.
Speaker 2: Man, I really mishtaken experience a day in prison, in a day with the family members at home. Who have they loved ones in prison? Right? Because you're talking about astronomical phone calls. Prisons ain't placed in the city. They Appalachia somewhere, right. You know what I'm saying. You got to drive a Clinton correctional You ever went to Clinton. I got a couple of clients up there. Man, you might as well block out your calendar for that day, right and hope everything work out. So it's like that that part of it, in my opinion, is again they need to experience it, just to have that sympathy and empathy. Man. Everything doesn't require a hammer, you understand what I'm saying. And that's that just seems like what happens when you get us in front of one of these systems. Man, we all are like nails to them.
Speaker 3: For people who listening, man, who will never see the inside of a courtroom beyond jury duty, what's one specific action they can take, you know, right now to actually move the needle on wrongful convictions and criminal justice reform in their own city?
Speaker 2: Pay attention man, like legitly man, if you're gonna be there and you're gonna show and also listen. In general, black folks show up the jury duty. Come on, y'all like legitly, man, like we have to show up the jury duty. Like you just don't know how many jury pools in the Northern District of Illinois where I'm doing a wrongful conviction case and I ain't got nothing but one or two of us in there, and then we're trying to get about that motherfucker like we need y'all. Man, we listen, look, our turn up cannot outweigh our turnout like legitly like that. So for me and my perspective, I like to have a good time too, man, But man, when it's time, when it's time to turn out, we got to turn out. Please show up the jury duty, y'all. Y'all, y'all, you just don't know. Man. If we get a jury pool that is diverse, right, we now cantrol a lot of the outcomes. Man, show up, show up, if you can be there, be there, right. I'll be like, man, Charlamagne, I'll be trying to get people are eye contact when they be on the jury pool, like please please don't no, it's go stand up and say you got a baby like that. Come on, But that's that's what we need because we present the case, but the jury makes a decision. We need black and brown folk. And let me make sure that I'm clarifying that not just black for black and brown folk, because we ain't the minority if we link up, you know what I'm saying. So that's what we need. Show up the jury duty, that's it, and even pay attention in that, take notes and stuff like that. Be active in your participation because what your what your vote counts for right there in that moment, it's critical to the lives of a lot of my clients and a lot of lawyer's clients.
Speaker 3: What gives you hope that meaningful justice reform is actually possible?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: The cases, Man, I just look at the cases and I and I also am just a person who wants to be hopeful. I have to be right going through what I went through. Man, I'm a prayerful person. I'm a I'm a hopeful person. And I also get an opportunity to look at the babies that we have that are coming up right now. Man, and I'm I'm I'm afraid, y'all. Ain't don't even lie, you know, when I'm looking to talking to these mothers and fathers in these courtrooms. I believe that it's desensitizing our babies to believe that the criminal system is just a part of our lives. And some kids never experience that only in the movie and I and I. You know, I give you another example of of of people ask me, man, what's what's the toughest thing you've ever seen in prison? They expect me to say a knife fight or something like that. Man, I tell you the toughest thing that I ever seen in this prison. So I'm playing ball on the first couple of years that I get to to Green Bay Correctional. Green Bay Correctional in Wisconsin was was is a. It's a tough place, okay, And right now they are they are stabbing each other up in there, and it's just it doesn't make any sense what's going on with the violence. So I'm passing time. I playing basketball, and you know, everybody picking a squad, everybody got a nickname. And I'm hearing, you know, these guys on the other team, and they're like G Pops old man and G's son, right, I'm just thinking that they all from the same block. You know what I'm saying. I ain't no, I ain't no. At all. It wasn't until I got in the visiting room and I was visiting. My mama came up to see me from Chicago, and I'm in the visiting room and I didn't realize, Man, this was three generations. Man, this was a grandfather, a father and his son.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: But what really messed me up was two women came to see him with three kids, and it was a little girl with him, and man, the little girl came through the medalal detective and raised the armor to be wanded because she was looking at her mama and grandmama be wanded coming to the prison. And you don't wand the kids anything like that? Man, like you, you know you this is a baby. What's she doing at three four years old? Knowing that she's supposed to stick her arms up in the air. I said, man, look we got addressed. We need to implement inside our schools of psychology sections that address specifically people who encounter the system, whether it be family members or whether it be people who are there in order to make some real, real, real change. That is the thing that I will never forget, And that happened almost twenty seven years ago. But I never forget it.
Speaker 4: You talk about the importance of pro bono work.
Speaker 2: Oh, look, I know.
Speaker 4: That's a part of the reason why even with your situation, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, an instance project got me out. It's important that we donate to the right organizations that are doing the work on the ground. And look, man, it's tough. You understand what I'm saying. There's a lot of organizations, a lot of people doing the same work, but we are system. There are people. Once you get convicted, you on your own, as a matter of fact, not people everybody. Once you get convicted and that first appeal is over with, you're on your own, right, So there are people who will never have an opportunity to present their case of innocence, not because they're not innocent, but because there's no money around to do it. So we have to donate to organizations like my organization, Life After Justice, people who are doing the work and taking on cases pro bono to be able to really get them the help that they need. We have to do this right because there are there are no The cavalry ain't coming.
Speaker 3: We the cavalry ourselves. That's sh listen man. Jared Adams his book Redeeming Justice from Defending to defender my fight for equity on both sides of a broken system is available everywhere you buy books now, man, thank you man.
Speaker 1: How can we continue to support your work?
Speaker 2: I know Life After Justice, but also the website is is Jared Adams all dot com. Life after Justice dot org is the website and y'all can support by sharing the story. Man, like honestly, Charla Magne. Listen, if we're gonna have a donkey of today, let's do a King of Queen of the day. You know what I'm saying. Straight up, Man, I love y'all. Thank y'all. I appreciate you, brother, I really do, man, So I really do.
Speaker 1: It's Jared Adams is the breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Hold up every day a weak click your ass up the breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: You're finish what y'all done.