Speaker 1: Ready, I am ready ready.
Speaker 2: Who's that he's up?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know. I have made some coffee because I'm like, I think I need some coffee.
Speaker 3: I am drinking some Cafe Dumont coffee. That my my makeup artist that I was working with recently back east. She's from New Orleans and she kind of goes back and forth all the time, like on weekends, and so she went back and she picked me up some of the original og only available in New Orleans at Cafe Dumont.
Speaker 1: Well, there's like a different blend.
Speaker 3: That they sell in the stores than the one that you actually can get really delicious.
Speaker 1: Do you have you ever had their It's coffee and chickory.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, then I have.
Speaker 3: So it's chickery is like it's a root, but it's like almost a little peppery smelling a little and gives them.
Speaker 1: A little something, not even a zinc.
Speaker 3: It just I don't know, it adds something to it, but I love it and it's delicious.
Speaker 1: That I am missing a beignet.
Speaker 2: That's worth the mess all over your face and your hands, like that was.
Speaker 3: I got some really good bignets at the farmer's market the other day. Yeah, what is it five five frogs Bakery or something.
Speaker 1: Oh here in the in the valley and uh they're French.
Speaker 3: And I had a three pack of bignets on It was Nitella vanilla and chocolate and it was and I had it yesterday or Sunday with a cup of my Cafe du Mont. I was like, Okay, this feels this feels original. That is the perfect breakfast, right.
Speaker 1: Oh it was great and they were little, not too big, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, now I'm hungry again. Dang it. I well that I have so yeah, I've been busy watching all these disaster and survival like documentaries, podcast like, all of like my algorithm is filled with what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, planning ahead, no take notes, pas them on you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: No, Well, it.
Speaker 2: Started because there's that new documentary on Netflix called Shipwrecked about the cruise ship the that saying capsize.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was pretty good.
Speaker 2: It wasn't. It wasn't as comprehensive as I was hoping it was a cruise but no, no it's not. The which is another one that I was watched with.
Speaker 1: Yes, I watched that.
Speaker 2: One too, pop those poor people poor people. Yeah, I've but all of I'm never going on a cruise again. I've been all right because the new kids on the block. But that was for new kids on the block tested the cruise.
Speaker 3: Right, but you but imagine new kids on the block capsizes out to.
Speaker 2: See well, you know what, that's not the worst.
Speaker 3: Go down, You go down, and yeah, if there's somebody to capsize.
Speaker 2: With, I hope it's Joey McIntyre.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you and he will recreate the scene from Titanic, except you'll let him on the door this time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, which you're both You're both you know, Yeah, another one of you would take up too much face. You can easily fit maybe even one more new kid.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, so you could pick two, I'll pick Then I will pick John Joe.
Speaker 1: Okay, how did you know I was gonna pick John?
Speaker 2: You just picked the name out of your out of the air, didn't.
Speaker 1: Those were the two names that I easily remembered off the top of my head. Yes, I would say another one.
Speaker 2: Jordan's another one done, my third pick my fourth, don and Danny. Danny's the last one, very good. Danny Donny Donnie is one and then Danny is another one.
Speaker 1: Oh right, okay, yes, your education to change your name. That's too close, it's too confusing.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. But no, these disaster, these disasters felt like it's just it's insane. And now I'm listening to a podcast what is it called uh Wild Things about the Sigfried and Roy the Tiger the Tiger issue, but it's not just about the incident. It's about like their whole lives and how they came and how they grew up.
Speaker 1: Fascinating, stick fascinating, fascinating if you like stuff like that.
Speaker 3: There is a podcast called Is This Actually Happening? And every episode is what if you were blah blah blah blah blah blah some crazy that What if you if you're a military coup and you had to you know whatever, What if you were kidnapped and uh, you know, taken.
Speaker 1: Hostage for three days and you escape?
Speaker 3: Like it's there are stories there where I listen and I'm just.
Speaker 1: Like what, oh my gosh, But it makes you know there's something about it.
Speaker 2: You're like, okay, okay, You're like now I know what, Now I know what I'll do.
Speaker 3: Well, not even now I know what I'll do, but like, okay, I get you know what, I would try that hard, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I would like, okay, yes, yes, because you're okay. You're learning about the testing the limits of humans, right, so yeah, when you think, oh, I'm not strong enough, I couldn't do that, well maybe you could. I don't know. You don't know until you're faced with that situation. Fascinating, fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I uh uh. I forgot what I was going.
Speaker 3: To say, what I was going to say, because I started looking at the notes on our thing, and then I was like, dang, Sick Freedo.
Speaker 2: And roy talking about white tigers.
Speaker 1: Yes, do you.
Speaker 3: Remember going to see Sick freedon the tigers at the Mirage when we were shooting in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I was there.
Speaker 1: That was the time I got lost in a casino.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't think I was in that episode, but I've been. I've been to the the White Tigers in a cage, I know, not even a cage of glass enclosure of people gawking at him. Yeah, I know. I very mixed feeling because I know that secret and royd like they loved those animals, like their family, like those people.
Speaker 3: So it was like the lady who had the champ in her basement, you know what I mean, Like, I don't know she wasn't trying to harm it.
Speaker 1: But at the same time.
Speaker 2: Is that it's that moral dilemma about using animals for entertainment and conception. That's that's a hard thing to swallow. But they did really love they did.
Speaker 1: There wasn't abuse per se. It's just, uh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: How much a tiger wants to be roaming around the same like forty feet of space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, but they didn't.
Speaker 3: They had like crazy uh like property in Vegas, right.
Speaker 2: That was like they had like the jungle sanctuary for that.
Speaker 1: That's where they.
Speaker 2: Lived with the animals and you know, let them roam around. It was it was wild. And when Roy got bit by one of the tigers, it was on his fifty ninth birthday. I did not know that, like one of the first things he said. He was still pretty lucid afterwards, and he's just said, don't do anything to the tiger, like.
Speaker 1: Don't don't the tired didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: It's not the tiger's fault, Like, just don't do anything to tigre. That's my family it's it wasn't his fault, he was he was trying to protect me, or it was a miscommunication. I don't know, it was right, So yeah, fascinating fast. So anyway, Yes, has any other disaster or survival stories podcast documentaries?
Speaker 1: He sent them.
Speaker 3: This is actually happening is a is a really good one because every week there's just some thing where you're like, oh my what, wow.
Speaker 2: Love it?
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I could consume those all daily, and.
Speaker 3: You know what, I listened to those because it reminds me of like the strength and the good in people of like, yes, getting through adversity and whatever. So they're still pretty crazy and kind of dark, but it but in a way that feels, I don't know, it encourages like resiliency, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, because it's not like we're watching things about you puppies and rainbows. No, it's like these are really serious, traumatic things, but it's about overcoming that race.
Speaker 3: And I love like the stories that they tell sometimes don't have a perfect and you know, most of the time don't have some sort of perfect ending. It's like, but this is this is now a story that I have to live with, And here's how it affects my life, and you know, it's just.
Speaker 2: Really interesting, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: It's like the audio equivalent of people watching, but deeper.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Observing, observing, just listening.
Speaker 3: I'll sit there and look at people and be like, what what have you gone through?
Speaker 1: What is your story? I wonder, so this is kind of a little peak kind of that same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very satisfying.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, why don't we take a peek into, uh, into our little show.
Speaker 2: Let's let's take a peek into Jesse's psychology of.
Speaker 1: Is this actually happening?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it is. Welcome back to Howard tanneritos. I'm Andrea Barber.
Speaker 3: And I'm Jody Sweeten, who timed her sip of coffee quite well that time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, well done, well done. Today we're discussing season seven, episode six, Smash Club the Next Generation. It originally aired on October nineteenth, nineteen ninety three, and it goes a little something like this.
Speaker 3: Is by the way, is the title like sort of a call to star trek our generation that came out around this time?
Speaker 1: I thought I wondered that too.
Speaker 3: I bet you I don't remember when that show came out but my dad loved it.
Speaker 1: My dad's a big Star Trek fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a defintion, but I think it was early nineties. Yeah, it's definitely.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely a nod to the to Star Trek. Absolutely. So, Jesse is surprised to learn that he has inherited an old nightclub where his band used to play. Wait, why are you already laughing?
Speaker 1: Because of course he did. You know what I mean of surprise, inherited the Smash Club. You know what I mean? I just I love it. I love it. It's so full of how sick like. It's just great.
Speaker 2: I love It's so great. But Jesse soon learns that reopening the Rundown building for a new generation takes more than just good ideas. It was directed by John Tracy, it was written by carolynmi Ominie.
Speaker 1: Your guess is as good as mine?
Speaker 2: That one mine?
Speaker 1: Mine? Oh mine?
Speaker 2: Well, min that's two writers in a row now that we don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're very sorry, Carolyn. I don't I don't remember. I don't. Maybe you were only with us for like one season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why we that's why we don't remember how to say your name because maybe we probably never met her, to be honest, because it was one off.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's just just not take any Yeah, I'm not taking it out.
Speaker 2: Not my problem.
Speaker 1: I can't see it. Yeah we even even met you. Say your name, I don't even know you.
Speaker 2: We have one guest star this week, Julie Payne. She plays Miss Cook and she played Cheryl's mother in seven episodes of Curby Your Enthusiasm.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's where I recognize her.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have seen you. Yeah, my god.
Speaker 2: I loved this woman so much. She voiced many, many characters on Garfield and Friends, The Garfield Show. All of the iterations of the Garfield was animated series.
Speaker 1: She did.
Speaker 2: It's multiple characters. I don't think she was Garfield, but she did a lot, did a lot of characters, a lot of lot of voices. So I'm just like, she's a huge list of credits. Go look her up, because this woman is talented.
Speaker 1: Beyond that, she had a face.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, I've seen you in a bunch of stuff. She's kind of like it was like seeing Edie mclug when you're like, oh yeah, yeah, you were on a bunch of things and in a bunch of movies at this time, like you were, and you had a very specific type of care.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely a character actor where you're like, I don't remember your name, but I know your face anywhere. Yep. Right, So we start to with the teaser. Steph is lying on the backyard watching the clouds and I love this camera angle. It's like the bird's eye view from her glove, Like we ever never never done that, never done it brand great, well done, John Tracy, Like that's a great creative choice there. Michelle comes outside, Hi, Steph, what are you doing? And Steph says, looking at the shapes and the clouds, it's relaxing. Michelle lies down beside her. Steph says, doesn't that look like a kangaroo in a baseball cap? And Michelle says nope, and Stuff says it's right there next to the horse eating the taco. Michelle says, horses don't eat tacos, and Stuff says, it's not a real horse, it's just a cloud. Clouds don't eat tacos either.
Speaker 3: Stuff shows up, She's a real you know, she's just being an annoying little sisters.
Speaker 1: What I think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one of the things like, yeah, just everything you say.
Speaker 1: Is that you're wrong. You're wrong. That's true.
Speaker 2: I think that's what we're going with this. She's just she's just gonna be a contrariant.
Speaker 1: What you see that? Nope? Nope, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So steph finally gives up. Fine, there's no horse, there's no tacos, there's no kangaroos. And Michelle says, told you so. Stephanie says, you really know how to suck the fun out of cloud watching, and she goes inside, slamming the door behind her. Left alone, Michelle looks up and says, oh, there's the horse. This is relaxing, cute again. We have eliminated adults from teasers. Now the kids are carrying the teasers and.
Speaker 3: They're old enough now they don't need someone supervising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, supervision that hasn't been visioned yet. Yeah. Whatever, We don't do that in full outs never so. In the living room, Becky tells Danny Monday is going to be a big day on a make up San Francisco. Our first guest is famous sumo wrestler Bozo Yashi.
Speaker 3: Danny read such a strange storyline.
Speaker 2: This this is peak full House season seven. They're out of ideas, right, it's mad libs now, they're like just grab like different ideas and just throw them all into one pot. Like it doesn't have to make sense, doesn't have to make sense. This is very season seven h So Danny reads this bio and he says, he says here he's known for his flab fling and Becky smiles, guess who's flab he's gonna be flinging? And Danny retorts, well, first, I have no flab, and even if I did, I wouldn't want it flung around by a seven hundred pound guy in a diaper. Danny says, I don't know how I feel about this, but okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, well you know it was the early nineties.
Speaker 3: This now you'd be like that seems a little first and like a little just like a just like a sprinkle of.
Speaker 1: Racism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean, this is a real sport, you know.
Speaker 1: And we were in Japan. Somebody went saw some wrestling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's right, that's right, he did.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I didn't go see it.
Speaker 2: Who went and saw? I don't remember JP May Scott, oh, probably Scott right on his way to sushi for breakfast, stop off at the sumo wrestling place. Uh. So, then Jesse and Joey walk in, and they walk in in the middle of this conversation, and Joey says, I get the feeling we missed a very interesting conversation. Jesse interrupts with his news. You're not gonna believe this, remember Buzz Markle and Danny and Becky say sure. Danny jokes I felt guilty for having so much fun at his funeral, Jesse.
Speaker 3: Such a great thing for Bob to say, because that absolutely would be Bob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, he'd be doing a full set a funeral. He totally would.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Jesse and now says, well, they finally settled his will and he left me the Smash Club.
Speaker 3: Why me, Because you're the only family here, obviously, otherwise we wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Have a storyline, Jesse. That's why. So Becky and uh, Danny and Joey are stunned. So Becky offers a suggestion, you and the Rippers played the Smash Club more than anyone, Jesse adds, and Buzz loved me like a son, and I never made fun of his twope. Joey replies, come on, you called him ruggsy Joey Dave.
Speaker 3: Actually there was someone that Dave actually called Ruggsy, Yes who I can't remember who, but there was somebody.
Speaker 2: That I think that he called Rugsy, which he does it to get a rise out of us, Like he'll do that, like you know, he'll like say something funny to make us laugh in the middle of a scene or something that's so.
Speaker 3: Different thing I would never ever do because it is highly unprofessional focused. You're getting a scene with people, you tell him, Jeff, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, Jesse reflects, I was thirteen the first time I snuck in hearing Live rock and roll changed my life. I own the Smash Club. Danny points out one condition, Well, the club's been closed for two years. If you don't reopen it, it goes back to the estate and becomes a parking lot. Jesse says, that's not gonna happen. Becky asks, what do you know about running a club man? Jesse responds in a word, nothing, But I owe it to Buzz to do the right thing. Jesse heads out, I need a place to think. Where's a good place to think? And Joey responds Harvard, and Jesse replies, look who I'm asking David is just a matter of fact in this He's Harvard. That's a good place to think.
Speaker 1: He's not wrong.
Speaker 2: He's not wrong, right, He's not wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jesse knows as much about running a club. I would actually say he would know more about this than about running an ad agency.
Speaker 2: Or radio stage, radio DJ, or even extermination.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this is his most qualified job for sure. This is a really great fit for him. Up in the girls room, Michelle is making her bed when Nicky and Alex walk in. Hi Michelle. Michelle responds, sorry, guys, I can't play right now. I need to clean up my room. Nicky starts to put away one of her stuffed animals. Oh, you don't have to do, and Michelle pauses, Unless you really want to, don't forget that stuff over there, Alex says, okay. Michelle climbs onto her bed while the twins finish cleaning up her room, and she smiles. This has definite possibilities. Okay, she's figured it out. She's figured it out how to make this system work to her advantage. Next in the kitchen, Steph is at the kitchen table when DJ, Kimmy and Steve enter the kitchen and exclaim yes, it's Friday, we're free at last weekend begin and then they all high five and say, what.
Speaker 1: Y'all, is that a thing that you did? Was that a pop? What was that thing? Why was that thing? I don't know. I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember it being a thing. But we say it later in the episode too, So why is it a nineties thing?
Speaker 3: I make it a group catchphrase?
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't. It struck me as odd because I don't remember it from the nineties. It didn't ring a bell at the time. I was just like, wat chaw, I don't chaw. I don't know. So Steph asks big plans tonight, and DJ and Kimy and Steve look at each other stumped. They mutter, nah, we got nothing. Steve has a suggestion, I know we could go to the mall, and DJ replies, no, I've been there so much. My hair is starting to smell like orange Julius. A orange Julius. Are there still orange Juliuses? I don't know, those of you.
Speaker 1: Youth that don't know.
Speaker 3: Orange Julius used to be in every mall, every and yeah, and it was like this frothy, creamy orange juice drink that had it was oj ice, sweetener, milk, vanilla, and powdered egg whites, so it was like fluff, like a meringue.
Speaker 1: Almost on top of Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were delicious, delicious. But now with the dying off of oranges domestically, it would probably cost you about thirty.
Speaker 1: Four dollars for sure.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I imagine there's probably not a whole ton of them around anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they were standing in malls.
Speaker 2: They were always in the food court at the first the first store in a food court.
Speaker 1: That's the way that where they were would smell them.
Speaker 3: They had like that sweet orange sugary smell delicious.
Speaker 2: So good, so good. I'm not that's my mission. I gotta go find an orange. Julius.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Orange Julius. Are you still out there?
Speaker 2: Jesse walks in, Hey, kids. Stephanie gets up, Hey, uncle Jesse, congrats. I heard some guy left you the Smash Club. Steve asks, the Smash Club? You mean that empty old dive over on Green Street. Jesse says, bite your tongue, Steven, That empty old dive turned me on to music. It's a piece of rock and roll history. A lot of big bands came out of that dive. Ever heard of Jefferson airplane. Kimmy and Stuff look at each other, confused, Mama's and papa's, Jesse asks. Steve and DJ look at each other, confused.
Speaker 1: Sonny and Cher.
Speaker 2: Jesse tries, and DJ says, oh, the woman from the infomercial. I know her. Oh my gosh. So finally Kimmy Steven staff realize who Jesse is talking about, but Jesse is exasperated. The point is that I got to keep the Smash Club alive somehow. Steve responds, I wish it was alive tonight. We'd have something to do. DJ tells them, well, it wouldn't matter anyway. You have to be twenty one or over to get in. Steve says, yeah, it's like that in all the cool places. It's not fair. There's so many cool new bands out and we never get to hear any of them.
Speaker 1: Get a fake ID. It's full out the rest of the kids. Yeah, no, that's far too simple.
Speaker 3: Jesse comes up with better mine, finds some shady person and just get your bike ID, you know, call it a day, just hiding that if there's children listening, that would be a bad idea. And uh, don't take advice from me. No, don't parents, If your kid does that, it's not my fault.
Speaker 2: We deny all responsibility for them. So Jesse suddenly comes up with this idea. You know what, what would you say if there was a place where you could go hear new music, no age limit, no alcohol, big dance floor, good food. Would you guys hang out at a place like that? The kids love it? Kimmy says, what are we waiting for? Let's go, and the kids get up and start to leave. Jesse says, hold it, it doesn't exist yet, and Kimmy replies, why do men toy with me? Jesse says, it doesn't exist yet, but it's going to the new Smash Club. You guys just gave me some great ideas. Thanks, I have a million things to do, and he runs upstairs. Next we are at the Smash Club. Oh my goodness, did bring back? Since we've seen the Smash Club? And is it dirty and dusty and hot mess?
Speaker 3: I mean to be fair, it's actually in relatively decent condition for an abandoned building.
Speaker 1: I was impressed. That's true.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, it has issues. It has it needs some work. It needs a little bit of work. Joey points, Oh no, joe. Jesse and Joey are at the Smash Club cleaning up before meeting with the bank for the loan. Joey points at a large portrait on the wall. Would you look at the wig on old buzz. He's got more carpet on his head than the floor.
Speaker 1: Also, oh, everywhere you look.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll save it. Yep, you thought it too, Okay, yes, that's it everywhere you look. We will get to that later. Jesse tells him, come on, I gotta clean this place up if I'm gonna get a loan from the bank. Jesse picks up one side of a trash can and he says, grab this. Joey grabs the other side, but when they lift it, the bottom falls out and the trash spills all over the floor. Frustrated, Jesse says, this place is a mess. Try to find a dustpant. The lady from the bank is going to be here any minute. Joey starts looking around. Let's see what do we have? Corkscrew, a bucket, a rat. Joey screams and smashes his head right up through the bar. Jess, get it. It was big, gray, dirty and awful. Oh god, get it. Jesse runs behind the bar and picks up a ripped bar rag.
Speaker 1: Is this it?
Speaker 2: And Joey's who has his eyes closed, says yes, just get it away from me, and Jesse reveals it's a bar rag, and Joey jokes, well, maybe you want to get that smudge then right.
Speaker 3: Over there reminded me of my incident with the small fan freaking out over something that was not actually anything to freak out over relatable.
Speaker 2: Jesse swats him with the rag. Stop it, Get your fat head out of there. She's gonna be here any minute. Jesse tries to pull Joey free ow Joey says, I can't move, I'm stuck. Someone knocks at the door, mister Kozopolis. You who? Jesse quickly puts a bucket over Joey's head, coens the door, and welcomes her in. The woman walks in and introduces herself. I'm Eleanor Cook from Embarked Arrow Bank, and Jesse says, hi, I'm a Jesse Katzopolis. Then Joey sneezes. Eleanor stares at the bucket. What was that? Jesse replies, Well, could be anything, and Joey sneezes again an old bar rag a rat. Eleanor lifts the bucket and finds Joey underneath. She screams startled. Jesse finishes a freak under a bucket. Joey says, can somebody hold my nose? I gotta pop my ears. So Jesse hits him on the head and introduces him. Oh, how terribly rude of me. This is Joseph Gladstone, our head waiter.
Speaker 1: Ha ha ha ah.
Speaker 2: And the audience loves it, like the audience is clearing.
Speaker 1: Bad puns, and all.
Speaker 2: The audience loves the dad jokes, you know. Eleanor just stares at them. Jesse says, anyway, we used to be in advertising together, so we've cooked up this little presentation. Picture it, if you will, Jesse and Joey teenagers walking down the street, but in this case one of us has a bar on his shoulders, and Joey laughs me. So Jesse and Joey pretend to walk in place. Joey asks, Jess, what do you want to do tonight? Maul did it movie? Seeing it? Burger ate it bowling, and Eleanor cuts them off. Hold it, Jesse says, oh no, actually bowling was roll it, but you get the idea. It's a rhyming thing. Eleanor clarifies, no, I mean hold it, as in, please go no further. I have some specific questions we need to discuss. But I like this woman. You know, she's getting to the point.
Speaker 3: She's like, stop with the bucket, man, I haven't even told you what I need yet.
Speaker 1: I don't need this right.
Speaker 2: She doesn't need a presentation, she's gone. She needs answers to her questions. Jesse says, that's no problem. We can handle that, right, little buddy. Eleanor says, we need to talk about what kind of loan you want, and Jesse celebrates, way too early, we got the loan, Joseph high five. Jesse holds up his hand, but Joey sticks out his tongue instead, and Jesse slaps it.
Speaker 1: By mistake, Dave's gigantically long.
Speaker 2: Freakishly long, like that was that's that's a no thing like his tongue is freekishly long.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised he actually couldn't extend it fully and slap John's handback for a high five.
Speaker 1: Mm.
Speaker 2: Eleanor looks disgusted. I meant we haven't discussed the amount, the terms whether you want adjustable or fixed, and Jesse and Joey laugh awkwardly. Oh you lend it, We'll spend it right. Eleanor adds, I also need to know if the club is up to code health codes, fire codes, building codes. How are your footing and bearing walls? Eleanor asks Jesse. Joke's fine, thanks and yours. Eleanor asks, I mean, has the foundation been inspected? And Jesse knocks on the wall. Well, it hasn't been inspected, per se, but I've checked the foundation, and you know it's really holding up, And just then a shelf falls off the wall. Jesse nervously says, the place is like a rock. Eleanor says, mister Kitts, it's obvious you're unprepared. I'm afraid I have no choice but to deny your loan request, and she starts to leave. Jesse follows her. Miss Cook, you can't. They're gonna turn this place into a parking lot. I'm very sorry. Goodbye, mister Kitzopolis, mister Gladstone. Eleanor offers to shake Joey's hand, but he sticks out his tongue instead, and she pulls away. Jesse chases after her, Miss Cook, give us a second chance, won't you? Did I mention your hair looks nice today? Because it really does. Joey, who's now all alone in the smash club, calls after him, Jess hello, and just then a mouse appears in front of Joey, and Joey starts stammering, however, you yeah so good? Like this whole scene is a masterclass in physical comedy.
Speaker 3: Like it was a ridiculous physical comedy when they're walking down the street and Dave's just bobbing his head.
Speaker 1: But I felt I was confused.
Speaker 3: I was like, why, why does the place have to be in good shape to get the loan? Aren't you getting the loan to get the place in good shape?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: From the bank worrying about her footings and bearing walls.
Speaker 1: That's the inspector's job.
Speaker 3: You just need to know, you know me, if you gotta, I don't know, just hand me the money and I'm gonna figure out what.
Speaker 1: To do with this.
Speaker 2: She should be more concerned that they have a lack of W two's and income seven years tax return, Like that's what she.
Speaker 3: Should be concerned, you know, as the only radio DJs and advertisers in all of San Francisco.
Speaker 1: They did quite well.
Speaker 3: For themselves, so uh, apparently they shocking they even need the loan, really.
Speaker 2: And why don't they just get the bank of Danny Like Danny's got right, Like I just would do one less renovation at the Tanner House and put that in.
Speaker 3: The last car or thing through the kitchen wall, and it pays for itself.
Speaker 2: See, we're problem solvers. We could have handled this. Next we're in the kitchen it's the next day, and Danny walks in with a box. How you doing? The station just sent over my outfit for the Sumo wrestler segment, he tells Becky, and Becky says, great, let's see it. Danny opens the box and freezes and slowly pulls out his teeny tiny mawashee aka loincloth, and he's afraid. He says, there's gotta be more than this. I'm gonna need a tanning booth and a full body wax and Becky jokes fashion tip, don't wear black socks. Danny asks, so, how's just doing? And Becky says not good. He's really depressed. Michelle, who is sitting with Becky asks, what does depressed mean.
Speaker 3: Which is a horrifying question coming from your therapist. I would hope that at least she would know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would think, but maybe she's had a lapse. She's had a lapsing. Danny explains, depressed means sad, unhappy. You know how you felt when you found out that Gumby wasn't microwave safe, and Michelle understands.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: Becky tells her, let's all try to be extra nice to Uncle Jesse today. Okay, Michelle says, I'll give him my last sweet roll and she puts her sweet roll on Jesse's plate. Jesse then comes downstairs surprisingly in a great mood. Good morning, my beautiful family. It's nice to see you all. I love you all in a very special way individually that is. Michelle asks, you're depressed. Jesse replies, depressed. I don't know the meaning of the word. Michelle says, I don't think Daddy does either. Jesse tells everyone, get this, I just talked to the lady from the bank, miss Cook, and he tells them that after a little begging, she's agreed to another interview. Jesse vows to get prepared to find a book on every code, building code, health code, municipal code.
Speaker 1: Area code.
Speaker 2: If there's a code out there, I'm going to crack it. Michelle says, I'm glad you're happy again, Uncle Jesse. Jesse gives Michelle a hug. She quietly takes her sweet roll back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't need one now, he doesn't need it.
Speaker 2: He doesn't need it. It was super cute.
Speaker 1: That was y have really good timing on it. It was funny. Great, So glad you're happy.
Speaker 2: That was a great moment. She's got some good singers, like.
Speaker 3: Learned that ashal Merkater getting a little older and can like you know, they are timing, yes, how to land a joke, how to time it just right.
Speaker 2: I'm very much enjoying them this season.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like to get prepared, he should also get in addition to books on all of these codes.
Speaker 1: Uh an accountant, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Some financial security guard.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot that's not just building codes. He's got a tall order. Next, we're back in the backyard. Michelle is relaxing on a lounger wearing star sunglasses while Alex hands her a nectarine. This is the life, she says, and she looks at the fruit. Wait a second, this is a nectarine. I asked for a peach. This is bald. Try again, she says, and she shows him away.
Speaker 3: I did not know that they were the same thing, except one has fuzz and one doesn't.
Speaker 2: I'd never actually thought about that before. Each has fuzzs, nectrine doesn't the same inside, well more or less the same family interesting, learn some seaful houses, educational, learn something new every day. So then she turns to Nicky. Did you find Waldo for me yet? As he's scanning a book. No, Waldo, he replies, Michelle says, keep looking, he's in there. Michelle puts her sunglasses back on and relaxes in her lounge chair. Boy, she is just really just riding them hard, taking advantage of a situation, the age difference.
Speaker 3: He's just finally happy that there's someone younger than her. Yes, which is kind of what always happens, right, Like, if you're the youngest, you're just looking for somebody.
Speaker 1: Else to bother.
Speaker 2: Right, She's been bossed around for seven years after Now I get to boss you around. Back in the kitchen, Danny is walking into the kitchen with Becky holding his back. He says, oh, Becky, that sumo wrestler really did a number on my back. Could you get me an ice pack or something. Becky says, come on, Danny, ozo Yash, she didn't sit on you that hard, and Danny replies, Becky, the only way a seven hundred pound guy sits on you is hard. So Becky checks the freezer. We're out of ice. We have waffles, a pint of Rocky Road, and a rump roast. Danny says, bring me the rump roast and Becky says, Danny, this is our dinner, and Danny says, I'm going to defrost it anyway, any places is it on his back? After a beat, Becky says, let's eat out tonight, and Danny sighs and relief. Oh yeah, he did the he did the stupid Yeah, this is yeah. Bob and Dave did this all the time, just in all situations.
Speaker 1: Just made that like and like eyes rolled back on it.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, it was the thing. It was a bit. It was a bit.
Speaker 1: It was a bit. And they would try to get it in there anytime they could.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah always yep uh And thank you sweet baby. Jesus, they did not show us a scene of Bob in a loin cloth with a Suma wrestler. I'm just glad that got left.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that was ever even on the table as an idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like they were was probably like the absolutely the heck no no. Back in the backyard, Michelle asks, I'm thirsty, where's that water? And Alex says mean Michelle. Michelle says, come on, I'm really and she lays her head back. Nicky adds mean. So the Twins grab the hose and spray Michelle my hair, my shirt. I'm sogged, she says. Becky and Danny come running outside. What's going on out here? Michelle says, Nicky and Alex got me all wet. Becky tells the Twins boys that was not very nice. Michelle adds it gets worse. They brought me the wrong fruit, they cleaned my room wrong, they brushed my hair wrong. Danny cuts her off. She's like a little dictator right now, right.
Speaker 3: I mean she leans towards this occasionally anyway.
Speaker 1: Now she's just found foot soldiers.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. Danny cuts her off. Michelle, Honey, you know what it sounds like you're trying to turn your little cousins into your own personal servants. And Michelle replies, is that how it sounds? Maybe I said it wrong. Becky says, you know, Michelle, even though Nicky and Alex are little, there's still people and we need to treat them with respect. I know, but it was so easy. I'm sorry for being so bossy. Are you mad at me? And Nicki and Alex? Go give Michelle a hug.
Speaker 3: I loved Speaking's line about they're little, but there's still people and we need to treat them with respect, because I bet that there were a lot of kids watching who are around Michelle's age or you know, older, younger.
Speaker 1: Slightly that have a baby, brother, sister.
Speaker 3: Cousin something, and you know you have to remind them like, hey, they're you know, they're people too, they have feelings.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there was a great lesson. Yeah the way to go, Becky, thank you for clarifying that, because that is a really important lesson. Cute, little, cute, little storyline. These scenes are so short. I've noticed like they're just like quick little scene scene. Seeing there's none of these long.
Speaker 1: She just looked at the next one and it seems.
Speaker 2: The health coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we're in the living room forever. Now, this is we literally we're going into the living room and we don't leave.
Speaker 2: It's likely yeah, yeah, yeah, that's why all the other seeds are so short, because we spend the rest of it in the living room. So dj is quizzing. Jesse next section two seven six three five of the Health Code, and Jesse thinks for a minute. Section two seven six three five Health Code. Oh, that's all restrooms must have self closing doors. Am I right? And Steph says close Food preparation areas must be lit to a minimum brightness of twenty foot candles of light, and Jesse asks, how is that close? And Stuff shrugs it's not. I was just trying to be nice. And John looks fantastic in this burgundy suit, Like it looks great, looks I feel like.
Speaker 3: Really each scene though, the crosses on his neck a multiplying.
Speaker 1: I mean like it was just one and we had two.
Speaker 2: I think we're now out to three. It's like another notch on the bed. It's like another cross around the neck. Yep, I didn't notice that. That's funny. So Michelle jumps in I've got one two seven six two six, and Jesse thinks two seven six two six that would be portable water supply. And I think he means pottable has to be consistent with the nineteen eighty nine standard. Am I right? I don't know. I just made up a number, Michelle admits. Michelle, Jesse says, throwing his hands up in frustration. Just then the doorbell rings and Jesse shoes everyone out there, she is, everybody out. Thank you guys for helping out out out and DJ Stephan Michelle hurry out of the room. Steph asks, are you sure you don't need any help? No, no, it's too late. Now it's just me and her mono woman WOMANO. Jesse says that he answers the door.
Speaker 3: It's personal service, you know, the loan officer are coming to your home.
Speaker 2: This woman has tolerated a lot, you know now, Yeah, you're right, a personal service. Yeah, this is you know, we have a.
Speaker 3: Small bank, embarcad Are. They're very good to their customers, you know. So they don't even charge ATM fees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they don't. And we couldn't afford another set that week, so it takes place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are so.
Speaker 2: Eleanor says, good afternoon, and Jesse welcomes her inside. Nice to see you again. Won't you sit down? Can I get you something to eat? Drink? Approve? Eleanor says, we'll see. Jesse says, listen. I've done some research and found that the last major renovation done to the Smash Club was in nineteen eighty six. Eleanor tells him, Oh, then you'll have to upgrade the food preparation areas to code. Jesse says, right, right, food preparation areas, and then he starts to stall. We were just going over that code earlier. It's actually one of my favorite codes. Don't tell me I know it like I know my address, and Jesse freezes, trying to remember. Michelle walks in, Uncle Jesse, and Jesse asks, yeah, what DJ said? I don't have a belly button, And Jesse says, what, of course you have a belly button. Can't you see I'm busy here? Could you check? Michelle asks, winking as she lifts her shirt to reveal the code written on a piece of paper. Brilliant, brilliant. These girls caught on quick. They were like, ah, we're to the rescue. Yeah, Jesse says, Oh, yes, you do have a belly button.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 2: You go back and tell DJ that you have the belly button of an angel. Jesse quickly adds to Eleanor, the code you were wondering about was two seven six three five. Eleanor replies, I'm sure it was. She doesn't care, she doesn't care, she doesn't care about numbers. Right, this isn't.
Speaker 1: Yet again, Jesse is plowed right into something without asking any.
Speaker 3: Questions, and Ben like ah, and then comes in and you're like, wait, we didn't that wasn't even anything that we needed.
Speaker 1: Sir.
Speaker 2: He's going full stea ahead with the wrong things, you know, yeah, Jesse Jesse. Eleanor continues, Now, let's talk maximum capacity. Jesse replies, maximum capacity.
Speaker 1: Good. Good.
Speaker 2: That would be under the fire codes, which are you know, it's funny because I was just reading about the fire codes today in the Big Red Book, he says, loudly, toward the kitchen and in the kitchen, stuff says, Big Red Book. As she, DJ and Michelle begin searching a scrambling Jesse continues stalling. Hey, speaking of codes in general, one of my favorite codes of all time is zero seven four seven zero, which, as we all know, is the zip code of Wayne, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: But you can't remember that, but not a code that he was looking at his afternoon.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so random.
Speaker 2: It's not like the birthplace of Elvis or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely and Elvis tie in Wayne Newton is from Wayne, New Jersey.
Speaker 2: What wait, are we getting a note? I don't see that note.
Speaker 3: No, that was me making up something stupid because New Jersey, Wayne new Ted.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gullible.
Speaker 1: I should have gone with it.
Speaker 2: But this is a real zip code and that zero seven four seven zero is the actual zip code for Wayne, New Jersey. Is the thing. So there we go, Michelle, Wayne, shout out Wayne, New Jersey. I'm sure we had a lot of fan ritos.
Speaker 3: Maybe if there's anyone out there from Wayne, New Jersey, raise your hand and.
Speaker 1: Send us an email.
Speaker 2: Michelle barges in baloney sandwich time, would you look at the time? By god, it is doctor's orders. I have low blood fat. Let me inspect that sandwich immediately, please. Jesse opens the sandwich and finds another code written inside. Michelle, you know that I love brown mustard on my belooney sandwiches. And Michelle says, sorry, I'll get it right tomorrow. Jesse turns back to Eleanor. By the way, that code just popped into my head. It was seven four seven six two. Eleanor says, mister Chenzopolis. Let's talk about things that are a bit more basic, like your financial statement.
Speaker 1: There weird point. We found it once he let her get an entire sentence out of her mouth.
Speaker 2: Once he stopped making up things about codes.
Speaker 1: Yes, Eleanor, I love Jesse just gets in his own way.
Speaker 2: He really does, He really really does. Jesse hands her a folder. Here's my financial statement, some basic floor plans and a basic perspective which I think you'll basically enjoy. Eleanor looks through it. I'm very impressed you've done your homework. Now the most important question, why do you want to reopen the smash club? Jesse repeats, Why do I want to reopen the smash club? He calls towards the kitchen. Well, that's a good question. Why do I want to reopen the smash club? Michelle pokes her head in what kind of bread do you want? Eleanor stops him, mister Kitsopolis, I'm afraid the answer to this one won't be found in a sandwich. Michelle turns to DJ and Steph hold the mayo. We're busted. Jesse thinks, for a moment, don't tell me I know this one. I know this one a profit margins franchising. Eleanor says, I don't think you understand.
Speaker 1: I don't think you do either.
Speaker 2: Eleanor has a firm grasp of this situation.
Speaker 1: Sir, that is not what I'm asking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesse still doesn't get it. Give me the first two letters, and Eleanor finally replies, mister Kitsopolis, I can't help you. Jesse finally says, missus cook, what do you want from me? You know I'm not a businessman and I'm not a suit and tie kind of guy. The Smash Club just fell in my lap. It's a place where I grew up. It's a place that's very close to my heart, and I don't want to see it die. My place is to fix it up, introduce a whole new generation to great music. Don't you think a family and their kids deserve a better place to hang out than behind a kitchen door?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and goodies never say die? Like that's like, you know what I mean it's like the rally. I feel like Rudy's gonna come.
Speaker 2: Running the rally cry, the rallying cry.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, there's a slow clap that follows.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah. Jesse opens the door and of course finds Danny, Joey, Becky, dj Steph and Michelle all listening.
Speaker 1: This family a family, of course they are.
Speaker 2: Nobody's like working upstairs, nobody's in the bath.
Speaker 1: Nobody's easier to.
Speaker 3: Just go to the alcove and hide in there. Yeah, that's the other way around the kitchen.
Speaker 2: They should have done that. Uh so, he continues, listen, miss Cook, I don't have all the answers, so just go ahead and turn me down. But I promise you I'm gonna find a way to keep the Smash Club open. Eleanor smiles. I know you will, and that's why I'm approving your loan and the audience applot. This was such a great moment. Jesse's excited, really thank you, and Eleanor tells him your answer was exactly what I wanted to hear. It came from your heart. Jesse says, I got the big one, right. Eleanor adds, you got another thing right too. You're really not the suit and tie type. I prefer you in a leather vest.
Speaker 1: Ah, there's the catch for the loan. There, it is there, It is there.
Speaker 2: It is yea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's gonna give him a loan, but.
Speaker 2: The price, Jesse. Jesse's confused. Hot, do you know I have a leather vest? And she says, I've seen you perform. I used to work at the Smash club. Jesse asks, you were away matress. Eleanor replies cage dancer, and Jesse is speechless, and so was I. Frankly, Eleanor lets out a whoo and does a little shimmy dance. All right, this actress. Man love this actress, like she just like.
Speaker 1: She went from zero to sixty, zero to.
Speaker 2: Sixty and she nailed it. Like, oh my gosh, love her. Jesse points at her, ginger snap, it's good to see you again, Jesse. Nice to see you. Take good care of the place. Jesse thinks her. I loved when you did that the whole woo, and he imitates her shimmy and Eleanor joins in one more time before he walks her to the door. Yeah, Steph, says uncle Jesse. We couldn't help overhearing.
Speaker 1: We couldn't. We literally couldn't couldn't hear physically.
Speaker 2: We were not helping it physically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were like almost in the room.
Speaker 2: With A and Dave had like the Jesse cheers, Yes, thanks you guys, and DJ Stephan Michelle celebrate, Uncle Jesse. I want to be a waitress. Yeah, let me decorate. I can make Blooney sandwiches. Jesse laughs. Hold that thought. I'm never gonna hear the end of it from these kids. Becky says, Honey, you know what you need? A karaoke night? Ooh, and Joe, he says, and I could work on some new stand up and he pretends to be an alien. Look, I'm a martian from another planet.
Speaker 1: You keep working.
Speaker 2: Danny grabs his guitar. Do you need a singer? I got my axe right here, before he starts singing, play that funky music? Why boy? Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean he's gonna have to pick one of them because the Tanner family is the only people that can perform though.
Speaker 2: He's gonna have to hire the entire family.
Speaker 3: I bet you someone from the Tanners is gonna make it on stage.
Speaker 1: Just wait, yep, the.
Speaker 2: Entire family follows Jesse up the stairs and that is our sure yeay, I loved it all right. It was a great episode. That was a great.
Speaker 1: Episode bringing the Smash Club back, finally.
Speaker 2: Bringing it back. This is a good project for Jesse, like, this is something that actually really makes sense and so.
Speaker 3: And I forgot I forgot that for some reason, I thought it happened in season eight, but it's season seven and eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah sas coming.
Speaker 3: Up, we have uh, we have girl talk playing at the Smash Club.
Speaker 2: That's right, we have girls Talk. There's a few big episodes in the several in the in the smell I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, this was this was a fun one.
Speaker 3: I mean, I am gonna walk into a bank and give a really heartfelt, motivated speech and see if they'll hand me money, and.
Speaker 1: If not, I'm gonna be like, well they did it on Full House, and why you're.
Speaker 2: Not give them that VHS and be like, look it happens and.
Speaker 3: How obviously no one asked questions. There's no paperwork design.
Speaker 2: And just bring your baloney. Sandwich has a cheese sheet for any questions they may ask.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, I loved it.
Speaker 3: It was full House, the silly the funny, the yeah, the hiding, the numbers, all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Great. It was great.
Speaker 3: This was a This was a fun, cute episode and it also like it sets up a lot of exciting stuff to come with the Smash Club, Like now they have a and it's an all ages club, so you know that the teens are going to have a place to be.
Speaker 2: And that's actually a great idea because that is something that's genuinely missing in Front, like we need more spaces.
Speaker 3: Everybody can participate in it. The kids can be their work there, perform there.
Speaker 2: This was a great idea by Jesse. Props to Jesse h it. I like it and are everywhere you look, are everywhere you look.
Speaker 1: The portrait in.
Speaker 2: The Smash Club is the mother than Ye Buzz, none other than our producer Miles Christman wearing a peh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the glasses were his.
Speaker 3: Those are his glasses and the necklace and all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, how did they get him to pose for? That?
Speaker 3: Was right because Miles, at least to me was always really he was what was he our line producer?
Speaker 1: I think something like that.
Speaker 2: It was our line producer.
Speaker 3: He took over maybe for Phyllis, Yes, so I think he was our line producer, which is usually the person that's like in charge of money, and like, no person he said, he's the one we can't afford that, So he was kind of always what I thought of, like more buttoned up and you know, straight serious and right. Because again, no one like you know, Miles is coming usually to tell you that what you just asked for and your department is not going to happen exactly.
Speaker 1: But that was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, he looks so funny. And I don't know if I I hadn't seen that. We weren't in that scene, so I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: That portrait didn't either.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, that was so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do love when they throw a you know, I love them on the show in there as a ridiculous thing.
Speaker 2: It's great, love it, love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only everywhere you look though. That was all I had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure there's gonna be many more coming up. If there's Smash Club episodes.
Speaker 1: For sure, we're going to start seeing people all over the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Well that is our show. Everybody.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining us. If you want to find us on Instagram, you can check us out at how Read Podcast, or you can send us an email with your questions, comments, corrections, anything else that starts with us.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe that, don't.
Speaker 2: You know, don't if you're from Wayne, New Jersey.
Speaker 1: If you're from Wayne, New Jersey, please let us know.
Speaker 3: If you're named Wayne and you're from New Jersey, please let us know.
Speaker 2: That would be cool, that would be super cool. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, anyway, you guys, thank you for tuning in. And uh and that's it, so we will see you next time. And remember the world is small, but the.
Speaker 1: House is full of buzzes, bag two pays. It's just just just rugs.
Speaker 3: Everywhere, just rug there, you don't even Yeah, it's a shag carpeting of rugs.
Speaker 1: It's seventies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the shag carpeting made entirely out of two pasts sewn together.
Speaker 1: That's it everywhere. Oh, I'm all that muz he's off though. It feels nice to walk on with your feet. Okay, that's it.
Speaker 2: Bye bye