Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning.
Speaker 1: This is Laura.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's tip is that you can save a lot of money by reviewing all your recurring payments and subscriptions. Sometimes things add a lot to our lives and sometimes they don't. We want to make sure that what we're paying for is worth it. To help me with this tip, I invited Joel and Matt from the How to Money podcast to share some strategies. They're with me here now as they will be for a few episodes this week, So Joel and Matt please take it away.
Speaker 3: Thanks Laura. Yeah, the subscriptions that we sign up for they end up owning us more than we think they can be, like little little vampires, little leeches, bleeding us dry over time. And streaming subscriptions they are one of the worst culprits most of us. Obviously, we don't want to go back to the days of cable. Our favorite streaming services that they're nice to have. We can binge on whatever new series that we're interested in. But with the success of these streaming services, more and more companies are ratcheting up the price or charging us cable esque subscription fees more than ever before. So it is incumbent on all of us, on you out there, to keep watch over which ones that you bring into your life and then to acts the ones that you don't use.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a recent study found that the majority of Americans vastly underestimate how much money they spend on subscriptions every single month, and not just by a little by hundreds of dollars. The average person underestimated their monthly subscription cost by one hundred and thirty three dollars specifically. And that's a lot of money that's going on accounted for in your life. So if you're wondering maybe why you aren't able to save as much as you'd like to, the culprit just might be the subscriptions that you've forgotten about. And thirty eight percent of folks in that same survey so that subscriptions are making them crazy. They complain that they're hard to keep track of and that they're causing additional stress. And so we're not suggesting a spartan subscription free existence, but we are saying that it would be wise and financially beneficial to whittle down the number of recurring subscriptions in your life.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, one of the worst subscriptions that we've seen. BMW they are planning to charge drivers eighteen bucks a month to access heated seats that are already installed in their cars. The hardware. It's like, literally, it's already there. But BMW, they don't want just a one time sale from you. They want some of that recurring income that these other businesses out there have been able to snack. And so in a world that has become subscription obsessed, where like every company they want just a small handful of dollars each and every month from you, it might be more difficult, but it's totally possible to pair back and to mostly steer clear of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So here's what we would tell you to do. First, make a list of all the subscriptions that you're paying for, and that means taking a look at your actual spending and combing through your debit or credit card statements. Subscription fees fester and they'll continue to impact your finances if they're left in the dark. Leave no stone unturned on this. While you're looking for these fees. While you're looking for these subscriptions, the recurring ones and you might be shocked at the recurring payments that you're making that you even just forgot the youse signed up with.
Speaker 3: That's those free trials that come back to ritching the butt exactly.
Speaker 4: And so we say next after that, after you have shown a light, you found what subscriptions you actually have in your life, cut the ones that you aren't using with regularity. You should typically be able to do that in just a step or two on the company's website. It's not a terribly difficult process, but it's an important one because it could help you claw back dozens or even hundreds of dollars of your own money moving forward each and every month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that being said, there are now companies and apps out there who have popped up that will cut your subscriptions for you for a fee. Of course, they often want to keep close to fifty percent of the money that they save you, or you can pay a flat monthly fee. Nothing like pain a subscription to manage your other subscriptions. The truth is negotiating lower prices for recurring subscriptions and cutting the ones that you no longer want. This is not rocket science. You can totally do this yourself and then your money it can be better spent elsewhere, right. I mean, we promise we don't want you to cut the subscriptions that you use and that you love, the ones that are actually providing you real value, but we do want you to stop spending money on stuff that isn't a priority so that you can use those dollars in a more effective manner.
Speaker 1: What great advice.
Speaker 2: Thank you Joel and Matt. Being wise about recurring fees and subscriptions can free up quite a bit of cash for things you would find more fun. For more great financial tips, please listen to Joel and Matt at the how to Money podcast and in the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, I'd love to hear from you. You can send me your tips, your questions, or anything else. Just connect with me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram at Before Breakfast Pod that's b E the number four then Breakfast Pod. You can also shoot me an email at Before Breakfast Podcasts at iHeartMedia dot com That Before Breakfast is spelled out with all the letters. Thanks so much. Should I look forward to staying in touch Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.