Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty, Armstrong.
Speaker 2: And Getty, and he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 1: President Zelensky Ukraine, including taunts and his request to meet with Vladimir Putin, hoping that I guess that that would get under his skin and make him want to meet face to face. But he wants a face to face meeting. That got more on the whole Ukraine Russia war a little bit later this hour, plus Hitler loving Maine lobsterman. I guess he's not a lobsterman. He's an oysterman.
Speaker 3: Allegedly he's a trust fund brat, rude to women, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Graham Platner is now done.
Speaker 3: This is an official announcement, an official announcement.
Speaker 2: I'm very drunk.
Speaker 3: But anyway, he's been ahead solidly of Susan Collins, the very moderate Republican woman who's the Senator, and so Democrats.
Speaker 2: I mean, if he was Hitler's.
Speaker 3: Grandson and had vowed in his diaries to carry out the old man's work, they'd stick with him if he was going to win. But there's a new pull out that shows Collins has pulled into a tie with him, and so if that tide truly is turned, they will abandon him.
Speaker 2: Like you know last week's left over.
Speaker 1: Well that argument Democrats have been making, some Democrats about it. We've got to stop the tide of maga craziness and everything like that by eliminating Susan Collins, one of only seven senators in US history to a vote to remove a president of their own party, right right, a moderate woman. Yes, Yes, that's how dedicated they are to women's rights. Anyway, they'd rather have a guy who's tough on women or mean to women or whatever. Anyway, enough of that, I wanted to move to this story is Mike Tobin. You remember the frankis in the church in Minneapolis that's starting to during the craziness the immigration.
Speaker 2: Rights with Don Lemon.
Speaker 3: Don Lemon did feature the bitter bitter taste of Don Lemon is lingering around this story.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that in a moment. This week.
Speaker 3: We'll take a zest to the Don Lemon angle. I'll actually like to do that to Don Lemon. But here's Mike Tobin.
Speaker 4: The city of Saint Paul, Minnesota will not charge the anti ICE protesters who stormed the church last January. That happened of the peak of Operation Metro Surge, the enhanced immigration enforcement in Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: The demonstrators learned that.
Speaker 4: A pastor with the city's church was affiliated with ICE.
Speaker 5: All these pretend Christians, all these comfortable white people who are living lavish, comfortable lives while children are dragged in a concentration camp.
Speaker 4: The protests halting Sunday services.
Speaker 3: The safety and the peace and the joy that we were feeling.
Speaker 2: In the church in our worship of Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: Going out and seeing people who are like spewing hatred towards us, it made me feel sad for them.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: Now, the fact that you can use comfortable white people as a pejorative, as it so often is, is disgusting.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the voice of revolutionaries. Yeah. So I could make a.
Speaker 3: Legal argument that the charges that ought to be brought are federal civil rights charges, but the city not bringing any charges. Listen to the reasoning in this next chunk of the report.
Speaker 4: But the city attorney says protesters didn't break any property and there's not enough evidence for a conviction. Irene cow writes, the right to peacefully protest is protected, as is the right to one's religious beliefs. Reverend Jonathan Parnell responding, According to the city attorney's logic, it is perfectly fine for agitators to invade a mosque, a cathedral, or a temple, shout in people's faces, terrorize their children, and shut down their religious gathering.
Speaker 2: Just call it a protest.
Speaker 4: And Parnell question, Minnesota leadership, do.
Speaker 2: You only care about those you agree with?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Reverend Parnell, First of all, two excellent points there. The idea that we can, with impunity, get a mob together and interrupt the church service of whatever faith and frighten the people into leaving and make it impossible to conduct that service, and civic leaders just look on and say, well, they didn't break anything.
Speaker 2: That's disgusting, and obviously you open the door to that. You could. You can always come up with something to protest.
Speaker 1: I don't like the new raising the price of stamps, so we're gonna bust into the mosque and interrupt their praying.
Speaker 3: Right right, Don Lemon still does face federal charges for interfering with these douche to exercise their free right. Well, in short, yeah, as it's colloquially known.
Speaker 2: So that's not the last one.
Speaker 3: Douche iss so the highest level, oh my god, yeah, yeah, whatever the highest level is, he's guilty of it. A completely different topic, although there's a common thread that runs through it. We haven't really talked about the case of Henry Noak in Britain. It's getting a lot of attention in the blogisphere and online and that sort of Thing's huge on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Elon Musk is huge on it.
Speaker 3: He tweeted the other day that The New York Times has had zero stories on Henry Noak, while they've had sixty four hundred on George Floyd.
Speaker 2: Whoa sixty four hundred different George Floyd stories.
Speaker 3: Correct, just and both stories are about a death in police custody. And indeed, there is no evidence, there has never been any evidence that George Floyd's death, unfortunate as it was and mostly I believe caused by his drug abuse, had anything to do with race whatsoever. There's never been any evidence of that. Henry Noak, white young man eighteen years old, attacked and stabbed by a couple of seek youngsters or young adults. Actually they're all over twenty one two of them in Britain, and one of the guys took out a ceremonial knife and stabbed him right through the chest. The cops get there. The bodycam footage is very hard to watch. Henry is saying I've been stabbed, and the cops says, I don't think you have mate, and Henry says.
Speaker 2: I can't breathe, I can't breathe. You remember that phrase.
Speaker 3: The New York Times probably wrote three thousand and eight hundred articles about that phrase, zero about Henry Noak. And the cops said, yeah, you're fine, shut up and immediately assumed because the minority fellows had called the cops and said, hey, we just got attacked by a white guy, and so they showed up.
Speaker 2: They believed it.
Speaker 3: They didn't do any investigation of who was the victim and who was the perpetrator, and just let this guy bleed out while handcuffed. They handcuffed him as he was saying I've been stabbed. I can't breathe, I can't that's rough, and let them sit there and bleed out. Then immediately said, okay, to the other guys, you.
Speaker 2: Got injuries, what do you do to you? What happened here.
Speaker 1: Well, not to mention that as a as a cop, you're supposed to help the person, even if they were even if they're horrible people, even if they're they instigated it or whatever, you're not supposed to.
Speaker 2: Let them die on the street.
Speaker 3: You might be a person of good conscience and you're thinking now as we speak, well, okay, so there is kind of an ethnic curacial component to this, but maybe it was just one bad, stupid cop wasn't very good at assessing the situation, and it's incredibly unfortunate. But you have to understand, and I don't like, you know, playing the victim card unnecessarily as a conservative or a white person or whatever. I think it's pathetic, But you have to understand the atmosphere in Britain. There's already widespread, huge demonstrations going on against their two tiered policing system where and most of this has to do with Muslims, and Seeks are not Muslims aware of that. But the most infamous case was a fellow said he was going to burn a Koran and started to and he was stabbed by an offended Muslim and the burning got a more stiff penalty than the stabbing, and there is a terrified, woke, self hating two tiered policing going on Britain. You may recall the absolutely horrific this should be one of the most famous stories in the world over the last twenty years, where the British police, the authorities state, local, and federal, or whatever they call them, they're covered up the Pakistani rape gangs who were grooming and raping young white girls because they really didn't want to anger the Muslim community or look like racists, and so they let young girls get victimized over and over and over again out of gosh what used to be called political correctness, I guess absolutely nightmares. So that's the ground that the seed of the Henry Noak killing was planted in and the cops utter disregard for poor mister Noak, who is entirely a victim. The stabber just got sentenced to life in prison, which could be as short as twenty one years in British law, and all of the evidence now in the body cam footage is out. That's why this is so hot now again. But it's it's horrible, and you know, some right wingy folks who I don't like their methods or what they say, are seizing on this to really whip people up. So if you hear the name Henry Noak, that's what's going on with him.
Speaker 2: Speaking of right.
Speaker 1: Wing people, I want to hear what you know about Candace and Russia. Candace OANs is in Russia. I hadn't caught that. I don't follow her much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's in Russia to kiss up to Putin and appear to conference praising Russia and denigrating the United States. Russian security forces are going to be there. It's something.
Speaker 2: Disgusting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she and Tucker are traders to the United States. You get to because we have free speech, but you know, I also get to call them traders.
Speaker 1: You would hope that you can't become a gazillionaire being a trader to your own country, though, yeah you can these days apparently. Do you want to talk about the whole war with Ukraine thing? Speaking of Russia? But also jobs numbers out kind of interesting?
Speaker 3: What does this mean?
Speaker 2: Lots of jobs, unemployment low. People have a horrible view of.
Speaker 1: The economy though because of inflation any lots of stuff on the ways to hear Daro Modi is either going to save humankind from the ravages of AI, or he's a fraud and.
Speaker 2: I don't actually know which.
Speaker 1: He runs in Tropic, which is emerged recently as the top AI power in the world, surpassing Altman's chat GBT. He's the one EMODI is the one that's most loudly calling for regulations and everything like that. Now, our friend Tim Sanderfer would point out that whether you're a moving company or a drug maker or maybe an AI company, if you're the leader, you always are a regulations because it makes it very difficult for your competitors to catch up to you or surpass you, or compete against you.
Speaker 2: The more complex and expensive, the better. That's right.
Speaker 1: On the other hand, I've watched a lot of interviews with the guy, and he seems very very sincere that he's worried that AI is going to destroy the world, and hey, somebody ought to do something about this. Anyway, he's out again and Tropic urges global pause and AI development flags self improvement risk. He says that AI models are nearing the capability to start improving on their own with human intervention, and what they do when they start programming themselves is anybody's guests unless we try to put some guidelines in place, which is an open question on its own whether that's even possible.
Speaker 3: So he's calling for a pause in AI development.
Speaker 2: You want to pause one?
Speaker 1: Ye're in the lead, so that would be like you're the who's currently the Detroit Tigers, I think is the best team in the baseball They say, I think we should pause the Major League Baseball season and the crown and winner. Now, I just say, it'll be good for the fans, it'd be good for the game.
Speaker 3: I too, am torn between the more cynical view of mister Emodi and and taking him at his word. I just want to ask, do I even have to say it out loud?
Speaker 2: Dario? What about China? Right? What you can? He said?
Speaker 3: And it's written by several heavyweights in the industry, but yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: He wants a global pause, which would include shot up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I want a little.
Speaker 3: To peace, Dario, Seriously, I sincerely want world peace.
Speaker 2: What about China, North Korea, Russia?
Speaker 1: So your belief is you could not make China go along with a pause or yeah?
Speaker 3: I believe that because it's so obvious I could explain it to a dog. But apparently amodi, no offense, Dario. You're a fine fellow and very clever. But seriously, dude, we believe doers are not going to pause.
Speaker 1: We believe it would be good for the world to have the option to slow or temporarily pause frontier AI while we're currently in the lead. I slipped that part in AI development to enable societal structures and alignment research to keep up with the advance of the technology. Now that we're in first place, you added that again.
Speaker 2: I caught you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, it proposes a global agreement.
Speaker 2: Oh seriously, are you children?
Speaker 1: Recursive self improvement is the fancy term that they use now for what they used to just refer to as AGI or ASI. That's when that can start just improving itself on its own, and then that will that improved thing will improve itself, and it could what Elon always talks about. It could start just like exponentially start improving itself to where what you have by eight o'clock tonight is significantly different than what you had this morning. I mean, it could just exponentially explode like that.
Speaker 2: And that which boggles the mind. It does. It does boggle the mind.
Speaker 1: And a lot of these guys think We're going to reach that day one of these days, and the AI from Friday morning is not going to be the AI that is doing all kinds of things to the world by Monday afternoon, m which it does boggle the mind.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to be just knee jerk cynical, because Dario and his crew have, like from the beginning of their company Anthropic, they've been talking about AI safety in a way that they've been real leaders in that. I just nobody ever answers the China question, or in short, the evildoer's question.
Speaker 1: Others have suggested to the other side of it here. Others have suggested that anthropics warnings about the dangerous potential of its own tools could be considered a marketing ploy. Such skeptics point to anthropics decision to limit release of the powerful Mythos cybersecurity model capable of finding buzzing problems, as a handy way to tout the capabilities of product. Our product is so powerful, we can't release it to the public.
Speaker 2: It's that good.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of like those fifties horror movies and sci fi movies. Do not view this movie if you have a heart condition or are prone to palpitations. This movie is too terrifying.
Speaker 1: I thought this was pretty good from this professor at Wharton's School of Business where Trump got his degree.
Speaker 3: That's where I got my degree. Oh wait, no I didn't. He said, I'm gonna pad my resume. Yes I did, By God.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: Anthropic is full of true believers all the way around. AI labs are a mix of things, said the expert. There is a trillion dollar company, which is hard to wrap your head around on its own. There's a trillion dollar company with all the normal trillion dollar company stuff like marketing teams and lawyers. Then there's a core of researchers who are just building the next models. And then there's a set of people who are philosopher kings who are concerned about the future and what comes next, and they're all in confidt with each other at all times, which of course is true. Yeah, I'm sure you have people in the philosopher king crowd, which is who I'd be hanging out with. Who are in there in these companies thinking this is just a disaster. It's just a matter of when.
Speaker 3: Nuclear weapon anti proliferation efforts are child's play compared to software anti proliferation?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Might even be impossible, regardless of any efforts might be yikes, yeah, yikes. Is I can get my organ's robot over lords if you can use them. They're pretty worn out.
Speaker 2: Always the harvesting organs. It's always where you go.
Speaker 3: Yep, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: Goss despair first.
Speaker 4: Storms, critics.
Speaker 7: Likes the crowd, You like to quiet the critics. Oh, I love shut up critics. My beloved Carolina Hurricanes. Gosh, I've been a fan for how many years now? One equaling the Stanley Cup Finals had won. Hey, Amazon, two day Prime, two day Prime.
Speaker 3: It's taking me five days to get my Carolinas Hurricanes taste.
Speaker 2: And I want to jump on the bandwagon now.
Speaker 1: If he gets it after the ambastard they win or lose, that'll take all the fun.
Speaker 2: Out of it, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Speaking of sports, Game two of the NBA Finals tonight, Trump says he's gonna go to one of the home games when the Knicks get to town, because they start in San Antonio where they're playing tonight for Game two.
Speaker 2: But that'll be quite the something.
Speaker 1: It'll be something if Trump goes to Madison Court Square Garden for one of the games.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, speaking of the Connector Bockers, the journalists got this story. It starts with this, this guy who is a celebrity watch consultant for.
Speaker 2: Jay Z's Rock Nation.
Speaker 1: A celebrity watch consultant, like watching celebrities or the wristwatch, I believe, the risk watches.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, that's some gig. But he's got access to all sorts of people and sources in New York City, and he knows a couple of like high level ticket brokers and stuff. And he's a big, big, big Knicks fan, and he was looking into tickets and the nosebleeds were running eight thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars as of yesterday.
Speaker 3: The get ins to get in right exactly, just to say you were in the building. You're squinting, you see tiny figures running around on the court. You're mostly watching the jumbo tron that'll cost you eight thousand dollars, but the good seats. You're now competing against Wall Street titans and hedge fund guys for whom money is no object, right Wall Street, big law, real estate, big wigs, celebrities, and nobody knows how high. These tickets are going to go. But Jack, you brought us the news the other day on the floor seats my co for seven figures.
Speaker 2: You know, I had the worst seats you could have.
Speaker 1: When the La Lakers played the Sacramento Kings Game seven of the Western Conference Finals many years ago, and after.
Speaker 2: Game six was fixed.
Speaker 1: Never forget it was a Game seven with the Lakers and Shack and Kobe and everything I got. It was a big and it was awesome, even though they were the worst seats you could have in the internet. Being there the inner it was it was so freaking cool. Yeah, so there's an advantage to be in there. Yeah, I would agree. I would agree.
Speaker 3: And it's a warm memory and you tell the story for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: What does that worth? I don't know. It's up to the individual.
Speaker 3: But I love this part, getting close to the action that such live events confers status. We've been discussing this for I mean, you're Tim Shallomey, You're sitting in a row behind Tracy Morgan's humiliating.
Speaker 2: I'd put a bag over my head anyway.
Speaker 3: This woman is the founder of a concierge agency, and she says these tickets are like Taylor Swift madness for finance bros.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, but there's gotta be and nobody explains this. There's got to be some sort of mechanism to get celebrities in the front rows. Otherwise, if it were just who's got the most money, wouldn't it be all hedge funds managers sitting in the front two rows, or wouldn't be a celebrity to be seen as opposed to always John Stewart and Ben Stiller and Michael J. Fox and Timothy Shallomey and Tracy Morgan all in that row.
Speaker 3: Interestingly enough, And this is what really intrigued me. So this woman's concierge agency arranges travel and experiences for dozens of members, most of them in private equity. Okay with networks slow down, with net worths ranging from tens of millions of dollars to billions of dollars. And it's the lower end of that spectrum that tends to shell out more because she says, they have the most to prove they care about. If they are seen, you've got billions of dollars, you don't care about anything.
Speaker 1: Right, some of the guys with more money, you're thinking you know, if I really cared, I'd buy both teams and have them play in my backyard.
Speaker 3: But her team has already booked Nick's tickets as expensive as one hundred and seventy six thousand dollars each so far.
Speaker 1: But there's some gaming of the system, which is fine. I'm not mad about it, but I don't know why they don't admit that. Look, we'd have a bunch of hedge fune of managers. That's not good for ratings. People want to see Chata Bay and Kardashian. That's what gets people excited.
Speaker 3: Shout yeah, fair enough, all right, Another consumer story about GLP ones and why they're overwhelming retailers.
Speaker 2: It's probably not with what you think. Afterward.
Speaker 3: From our friends at in Cogni, they point out every spam call, every scam text, every sketch email with your name starts the same way. Somebody found you on one of these data broker sites. All of your information is sitting on these sites right now until Incognitate tells them.
Speaker 2: Get rid of it.
Speaker 1: Whole bunch of people got your phone number, your address, your email, your age, the names of your kids, all that sort of stuff searchable and for sale. But in Cogny goes to these companies with the law on their side and says, you got to get that stuff off there. And they keep going back and keep going back to get your information off of these data brokers, and you're gonna see a lot less calls, emails and texts that you don't want. Yeah, and right now you can get sixty percent off with an exclusive deal at in cogni dot com slash armstrong. Go to in cog dot com slash armstrong and take back your privacy I n c og and i dot com slash armstrong. It's super affordable too, don't worry about the price.
Speaker 3: Check it out incogniti dot com slash armstrong. So the GLP ones are causing all sorts of shakeups. Of funny, you had mentioned that Lizstahnson grocery stores and all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: Lizzo's up on the Today Show right now, singing, first time I'd seen Lizzo since her big weight loss.
Speaker 2: She's like half the size she used to be. Yeah, she is not big old Lizzo.
Speaker 3: She just kind of like she's like two twenty no or what because she was big she is she.
Speaker 2: Looks biggish on TV.
Speaker 1: She's she'd probably look very very average in person, and she didn't look used to before.
Speaker 2: Remember, No, No, indeed her torquing haunts my dreams.
Speaker 1: But that whole thing, that controversy is is worth I can understand why people are mad about that.
Speaker 2: So when you were giant, you were the whole.
Speaker 1: No, this is beautiful and blah blah blah, bad acceptance, bag acceptance then, and why did you spend so much money surgeries, drugs, everything like that to get thin and now you like fired all your super fat backup dancers, so you got people that are closer to your size.
Speaker 2: Come on, look that's going on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she could say, well, I wanted to save my life, but then what the hell were you doing preaching the other All right, that's the point, is this whole.
Speaker 2: No, it's fantastic to be four hundred pounds. No, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's not good on any level fort you at all. And you should try really hard not to be.
Speaker 3: Getting back to the GLP one drugs and how they're shaking up food and restaurants and now it's retailers, specifically apparel companies are fighting a flood of returns and they quote this one budget suit retailer Flex Suits, they've seen a fifty percent increase in returns in the past year, and they say when a customer orders the same suit in two or three sizes, it's the red flag and he will actually reach out check the measurements and ask the client, look, are you losing weight or on one of those GLP one drugs. If you are, wait till you're done, then order a suit. Because what people are doing is ordering, you know, three of the things so they can wear the one for a while, then return it, then the other one for a while, then return it.
Speaker 2: Then finally when.
Speaker 3: They get skinny, get that one, return it. Hey, here's don't return the other two. You're gonna need them.
Speaker 1: Well, unless you stay on the drug, right right indeed, Yeah, which you know, that's that's fine. Like I said the other day, people take blood pressure medicine for the rest of their lives. Why not the I don't want to be super obese drug for the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: We don't know the answer to that question, but so far it seems to be at least a possibility for a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people. So yeah, So if there's like a ninety day return policy, or even if it was sixty day return policy, you're gonna shed a lot of weight in sixty days on those drugs. So you get.
Speaker 1: The the thirty six, the thirty four, and the thirty two, and the share of apparel exchanges where shoppers have sized down one has risen each of the last three calendar years, hitting a high of about fifteen percent this year.
Speaker 3: So as these drugs get more and more commonplace, these retailers are I mean.
Speaker 2: They could track it.
Speaker 3: They could practically tell you how many people are taking these drugs based on their returns towards the skinny end.
Speaker 1: So just when, for the first time, really in the last couple of years, a lot of your retailers had started having like what store was it as in the other day, all of their mannequins. Half their mannequins were quite overweight with jeens on or sweatpants on or whatever to fit human beings. Because mannequins have always been the super fit like skinny. Well, now they're going to have to get mannequins to reflect more people. I guess maybe you have to be make them adjustable, inflatable or something like that.
Speaker 3: As the trends go up and down. Just as a quick example of how big a pain this is. If you've got a billion dollar company that typically sees around twenty percent of its items returned, a five to ten percent increase in returns can slash gross margins by about twenty million dollars.
Speaker 2: It's it's a huge problem.
Speaker 1: Unless there ends up being some sort of long term effect that is horrific. We find out the era of people being giant might be over as possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a maintenance drug. Now it's like blood pressure you mentioned, or cholesterol or whatever. Yeah, this is something that peak weight loss. Those taking these medications can drop a clothing size every month. Whoa, yeah, yeah, jeans, brawls and athleisure where often the first items replaced. Then come tops and dresses, as well as adjustments to rings, bracelets and even shoes.
Speaker 2: Ran bat feet yeah rings. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we'll have the you know now or there for a while. You look at pictures from back in the day and everybody's so thin. I mean it's immediate. You look at a picture and you think, wow, everybody's thin back then then we got the we're all big period, and then maybe the pictures from here on out everybody be thinking, Wow, so the statistical bulge in the Boa will be a bulge in US.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: From like the eighties to the twenty twenties, we were all giant.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, cool, Wow, this gal shit hundreds of pounds.
Speaker 2: She looks pretty good. Lizzo is uh. I wouldn't have known that was her unless it said Lizzo underneath her. She's still laimed tiny. I feel like she was tinier a year ago when I first saw that. I wonder if did she lose a ton of weight on the gpl ones? Then go off them? Girls got big bones? What are you gonna do that something?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 1: And she fired her big backup singers. Yeah, her backup band is not near as big as they used to be. Hey, you hired me because I was giant. You said that was awesome. Now you're firing me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get oof.
Speaker 1: Zelenski and Putin meeting face to face. I want to get to that story, among other things. Stay here.
Speaker 6: President Trump has worked to broker piece between Russia and Ukraine since day one of term two, and now Zelensky has written to Putin asking for a one on one with the Ukrainian and Russian leaders, writing, we see that the United States is fully focused on the issue of Iran and it would be wrong to simply wait until the war in Europe returns to the center of its attention.
Speaker 1: So Zelensky, this is the day after they have a drone strike outside of Saint Petersburg, sending a cloud of black smoke across the very highway that Putin was going to use this weekend for some conference that he was having, which is on candae owens is at, which is all really, which is not a coincidence obviously. So the day after that drone strike outside of Saint Petersburg, Zelensky posts an open letter to Putin asking that they should get together and have a talk about peace terms. The taunting letter went after all kinds of different things. After twenty six years in power, age is beginning to take its toll, Zelensky wrote about, Wow, love it so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the letter was posted on the Ukrainian President's website, taunted the Russian leader over wartime setbacks, inflation, and Russia's dependence on China, and also made note of Putin's advancing age. As I said there, I'll read a little more about that in a little bit, but nobody's sure if this will work or not, or to what extent it was a good idea in terms of trying to bring about peace. Putin could be, you know, angry and want to engage with this, or it could cause him to have more resolve, like even if he was getting shakey, think f bat guy, you know who knows. It's always a risk when you do these sorts of things. But Zelenski said he would meet for direct talks outside the Trump administration's negotiating negotiating process, suggesting including European nations have the meeting in Switzerland, Turkey, or in Arab state. I can't imagine any location or any situation where they would.
Speaker 2: Both be safe.
Speaker 3: We've talked about like when our president gets together with the ahijiin Ping and the incredible security protocols and interactions and agreements and that sort of thing, and we're at least frenemies, I mean, we're not open at war currently adversaries.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine what that would.
Speaker 1: Look like woven into the offer for peace talks were Needling remarked, it's about a strong man leader unable to defend his own capital, Moscow or Saint Petersburg that one particular passage was after twenty six years in power, age is beginning to take its toll.
Speaker 2: Where does it go on?
Speaker 1: After that pointing of the Russian leader's age cast out blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: There's more to that, but I can't find it. I'm sorry. Did you just YadA YadA YadA peace talks? I think I did.
Speaker 1: Now we can all see that Russians are finally becoming less comfortable with this reality after hitting some of the inflation numbers and that sort of stuff, and how they had to scale down their Victory Day parade because of possible attacks. We have heard that you were promised in Alaska when they had that meeting in Alaska and Putin and Trump met and they rolled out the red carpet, and yeah.
Speaker 2: Nothing came of that.
Speaker 1: We've heard that you were promised in Alaska the resolution of certain issues concerning Ukraine and Europe. President Lensky said, you can see for yourself that Ukrainian European issues are not going to be decided in Anchorage. Zelenski wrote, in other words, you've got to deal with me if you want to get any resolution of this. We'll see if this works. The letter and the provocative drone strike, might Bowie spirits inside Ukraine the New York or the New York Times rights and might also send to an audience of won mister Trump a message about mister Putin's declining fortunes, since Trump seems to like to back the winner in these things, or it might help stoke domestic discord inside Russia.
Speaker 3: Nobody has any idea. Yeah, I was just trying to find the story. I know the Senate, the Republican Senate just voted to give a bunch of money and loans to Ukraine in spite of the President's current stance. It's got to go through the House. But they're asserting themselves on that topic, defying the president more regularly and openly, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: So Ian Bremer's been writing a lot about how Putin, for a variety of reasons of age and paranoia and who knows what his health situation is, has got fewer and fewer advisors, He's more isolated, all that sort of stuff. So what his view on things are or how far he's willing to go to not look like he made the biggest, one of the biggest blunders in world history. Who knows he is a caged beast.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, the Ukrainian forces have begun using near real time satellite imagery from this Colorado based company to improve the speed and precision of their drone attacks. They've cut down the amount of time it takes to locate and strike Russian assets by ninety percent, so they can see a building, get a satellite shot of it, say hey, there's a bunch of armored vehicles out there, that's the kind the Russian officers used. Let's hit it now, and they hit it. They're doing terrible damage. So things are not swinging in Russia's direction, not at all. You know, brings us to the discussion that's gotten hot recently. Does Putin lash out at Europe in an effort to make it look like Russia's being attacked by the West, so he can mobilize even more young men and you know, get more sacrifices out of the Russian people. Nobody's quite sure what he's going to do. To your point that he's increasingly isolated and paranoid.
Speaker 1: Wow, Like, I'm reading part of this letter that Zelenski sent or posted so anybody could read it.
Speaker 2: But it's two Putin.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, I received a report on the losses of your army on the front in Ukraine during May. Once again, that number exceeded thirty thousand Russian soldiers killed and seriously wounded. We have been maintaining that level month after month, and we have video confirmation of every one of your losses. These are not empty claims. We know that sixty three percent of your battlefield losses are killed, while only thirty seven percent are wounded. And in twenty first century, no army can afford such a ratio, and his share of those killed will only continue to grow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Ho nactually read this? You would think he'd have to at least ponder. You know, that's probably true. That doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: I've heard that his strategy might be a nuclear standoff, not a nuclear attack, but a serious thread of using nukes and then, you know, try to make hay during the resulting standoff.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: He lays out all sorts of economic stats, inflation stats, deaths of soldier stats, ground gained recently, how far their drones have reached into Russia.
Speaker 2: He makes a pretty good argument. If only we
Speaker 3: Did another hour, I would love to hear those oh that's right, we do, and you can grab it via podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty