Speaker 1: Well, first off, happy Independence Day. I hope everyone is having an amazing day. I hope you're spending time with the people you love. I hope you're spending time with your friends, your family. Maybe you're on a trip, maybe you're just doing a staycation, or maybe you even have to work. But I hope it's a great day. Nonetheless, as we celebrate Independence days, we celebrate America's independence from a monarchy, we look today at what has really transpired over the past few years, particularly during COVID and I talk about this a lot on the show, but it was so eye opening for me. I'm sure it was for a lot of you guys at home. Of just tyranny is here? Right? We're not immune to tyranny. Of course, we weren't back when this nation was founded, but we're certainly not today. And if you look back at the founding generation or founding fathers, they didn't put up with it, right, They weren't putting up with this oppressive regime from far away trying to strangle their way of life, trying to impose on their way of life, trying to dictate to them their way of life. So why are we putting up with it today, Right, Why are we putting up with with our government? I'm not saying we don't have to to obviously the tactics that are Founding Generation resorted to, but there are other ways to fight back. There are other ways to fight back, you know, locally, to fight back against government, to fight back against tyranny, and to resist a little bit. So today what I want to do is sort of revisit the foundations of America, Revisit our founding fathers, revisit the Founding Generation. You know, why was America born? You know what happened in the lead up before the Decoration of Independence, you know what happened to that lead up before July fourth, seventeen seventy six. So we're going to get into that with a historian. His name is doctor Bryan McClanahan. He has his own podcast, The Brian McClanahan Show. You can check it out on Apple. I listened to like five yesterday. It's super interesting. He gets into a lot of real world issues, today's issues from a historical perspective, and he just has really interesting takes on it. He's a really smart guy. So he's also the author and co author of books He's written books like The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers The Founding Father's Guide to the Constitution. He's a faculty member at the tom Woods Liberty Classroom. He received a bachelor's degree in history from Salisbury University, of masters in history from the University of South Carolina, as well as his PhD in history from the University of South Carolina. It's just a really interesting guy. So today, on this Independence Day, we're going to talk about individual liberty. We're going to talk about freedom. We're going to talk about the birth of America, why this country is special, why this country needs to be preserved, and what we can do to preserve it. So I hope you enjoy this fourth of July Independence Day Special with doctor Brian McClanahan. Doctor Brian McClanahan, thanks so much for joining The Truth with Lisa Booth. I appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: This is for the Independence Day Special. You know, we've sort of seen a lot of narratives that we believe to be true have been contradicted and shown to not be true, and a lot of what we thought we were insulated and immune from in America like tyranny. We saw during COVID that we are actually not. So I kind of wanted to revisit American history or nation's foundings and sort of how far we've gone from that beginning, and I thought you'd be the perfect person for this episode.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate you having me on. Yes. I mean it's when you look at what's happened in America over the last couple of years, and I mean really in the last one hundred plus years, and where where we've come from and where we are today. There's a dramatic difference between twenty twenty two and seventeen seventy five and what Americans were willing to accept in seventeen seventy five and what we're willing to accept today. If the founding generation were dropped in twenty twenty two, they'd look at all of us and say, what are you doing? You know, we were willing to do far more for far less than what you're willing to suffer through now. And so it's a really important history lesson to get all of this right, because if Americans really knew the story of independence, I think they would be looking at things today dramatically different.
Speaker 1: Well, and what's interesting is I was listening to your podcast. It's really good. People should go take a look, So subscribe the Brian McClanahan show. You sort of challenge a lot of groupthink orthodoxy that you know, a lot of people say a lot of points about history that may or may not be true that we've been taught incorrectly as well. But so you use founding generation instead of just talking about the founding fathers. Why do you make that distinction?
Speaker 2: Well, because if you just say to founding fathers, people think it's the fifty five men who drafted the Constitution, or it's maybe six people. I mean, I've call them the Big Six. You know, it's Washington, Adams, Hamilton, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin. And of course that's incorrect. You had an entire generation of Americans through thirteen states that were interested in these principles that we all think about today, independence, liberty, all these things. And so when you talk about the Constitution, for example, the Constitution wasn't ratified by fifty five guys. It was ratified by thirteen states, and you had a large public discussion about what that meant. And so there's a lot of people in that generation of founders that we wouldn't recognize. For example, Roger Sherman of Connecticut, who was so important in that period of time, but nobody knows who he is. Or even people that you might recognize their name, like George Mason or Virginia, but you don't really know much about him. So were John Dickinson of Pennsylvania. And this is a bigger issue than just a few guys sitting in Philadelphia in seventeen eighty seven, or even just the delegates to the Continental Congress in seventeen seventy six. There's so much more to this, and I think we need to be comprehensive. And when we talk about this generation of people, there was a variety of viewpoints, but at the end of the day, they were all committed to one particular principle, and that was a limited central authority. And when they're talking about the British and the relationship between the British and the American colonies, and of course that would translate later in to the Constitution and the Articles of Confederation and the Declaration. So they're all committed to that and also to that principle of independence, and I think that's something we often forget.
Speaker 1: How much of what we are taught about history is actually true.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a big question when you think about the Founding period. There's a lot that people get right, even the leftist historians or things they get right. But I would say that the real problem in America with teaching history is politicizing everything. You know, if we're talking about the eighteenth century, it has to be political. And what I mean by that is these people have to be twenty first century Americans. If they're not, then we're just going to discard them. And this is the entire agenda, going after people like Washington and Jefferson now for things that they did that we don't do today, or views that they held that we don't hold today. But that's the real problem. It's saying, Okay, well Washington's a great man. Well wait a second, because he owned slaves, he's not really that great of a man. Or Jefferson's a great man. We'll wait a second because he owned slaves and he's not a great man so, or because he held views on race that we don't hold today. So this is the real issue. It's not that we're taught things incorrectly. It's that everything is politicized and has an agenda behind all of it. So instead of just using history as a point, we can say, well, these people were great, Let's look at what they said, and we know that they do things or say things and we don't necessarily agree with today. But what do they offer us for Americans in the twenty first century. We have to discard them because they are not twenty first century Americans. And that's called presentism. And I think that's the real issue with historical profession.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense, a ton of sense. Actually, you know, before we kind of get into abbreviated TikTok of what led up to the Declaration of Independence, what do we typically get wrong about the American Revolution?
Speaker 2: Well, I think one of the most important things is that it was simply about taxation, and of course that was an issue, But the real core issue leading into independence was this idea that somehow the the parliament could legislate for the colonies in all cases whatsoever. That's what Tom Paine said in the American Crisis. That was the issue. They were certainly willing to concede that parliament could regulate international trade or defend the colonies. But what they didn't want Parliament doing was going in and saying, Okay, these are the taxes you have to have, and this is the currency you have to use. These are the things you have to do in the colonies. Because of course the colonies had their own legislatures and the parliament. There was no representation in Parliament for these colonies. So there was a violation of the ancient rights of Englishmen. So Patrick Henry talked about it was this idea that somehow parliament had supremacy over these colonies when they simply didn't have any role in that parliament. So when we simplify this period of time, we're make it into about lofty rights that were fabricated out of thin air, that you know this that we do today, the proposition nation equality, these kind of things. I mean, they certainly talked about that stuff, but at the core, it was simply about making sure that they could govern themselves, and they were firmly committed to the Magna Carta, the English Bill of Rights. These it was an Anglo American tradition they were fighting for. So I think that's the major misconception that it was just a simple no taxation, we don't want to be taxed, or you know, we're willing to fight for some some other kind of principle that you know, it's something in the air that just doesn't make any sense. It was certainly a commitment to this idea of local self government that they were more concerned about than anything else.
Speaker 1: Well, and to that point, did it start with the Stamp Act, because I know you had the Sugar Act the year before, I believe, But the Stamp Act I believe was a tax on items within the colonies, which to your point was sort of this government interference from a government far away that they did not have representation, they did not have input. Was that sort of the turning point? And when that relationship changed and the role of government changed within these colonies.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, absolutely, I mean you point out the Sugar Act the year before seventeen sixty four, but by seventeen sixty five, you know when the colony when the Parliament passes the Stamp Act and the colonies were react to that in the way they did. It was exactly what you said, Well, you know what, you're not going to a tax us internally when that's breaking over one hundred years of precedent. I mean, you go back to the era of salutary neglects, what is called the parliament let the colonies alone, they could govern themselves, and so that developed a system in their mind, a precedent for governance. And so when the Stampack comes about, the colonial legislatures say, you know, we're just not going to this. This is unconstitutional. And of course the resistance was what we would call today nullification. They actually used it that that that was born out of it. We're just not going to enforce the stamp Act, and we're going to tell our courts not to enforce. We're not going to have anybody charged with breaking the stamp back. So the resistance was, Okay, you can pass a law in parliament, we're just not going to enforce it here in the colonies. And you saw this across what became the United States. It wasn't just you know, Massachusetts or but it was in Virginia. There was there was certainly resistance in every colony to this Stampack. And that's because they viewed it as an unconstitutional measure. And think about all the things we have today that are unconstitutional. People just live with it. Okay, yeah, fine, they can pass it. We'll just go along with it. But that would not be the founding response to it.
Speaker 1: Or you know, you look at COVID, it's not even law. You just have executive order dictating how we live our lives or shutting businesses down. That people have put everything into their whole livelihoods, their ability to feed their kids without a blink of the eye. But then, you know, but you can ride in the street that first amendment, right is you know worthy, but not going to church. So yeah, so I think a lot of people can sort of sympathize with that. So to be clear, you know, before sort of you know, like the Stamp Act, and you know, there's a bunch of different actions and provocations that the British government takes against the colonists. But so there was really sort of a system of self governance to a certain degree, even though they're part of the British government. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I mean every colony had its own legislature. In fact, the first legislature in North America was established the sixth nineteen in Virginia. That's the other sixteen nineteen, right, we have the sixteen nineteen project. But the real importance of sixteen nineteen was that first legislature in Virginia elected legislature, and so you had local government here, and I think that's what we miss now. Of course, every colony by the eighteenth century had a governor, a royal governor that was appointed by the crown. But still these colonies had the ability to legislate for themselves. And they were very upset about the fact that you had Parliament stepping in and saying, okay, well, you know, we spent all this money on defending you during the during the French and Indian War, and so now you're going to pay for that, and we're going to tell you how you're going to pay for it. And so this was the issue. It was legislating for them in all cases whatsoever. And Tompaign called it tyranny. He said, that's it. If we can't legislate for ourselves, if we can't dictate what kind of legislation will accept for ourselves, And there's no other definition but tiranny than that. And so when you look back at this period, it was and you talked about COVID and everything else. I mean, again, we're willing to suffer in the United States today for far, you know, far more than what the founding generation was. I mean, they were not happy about a small tax that was being levied against them against their will, and they were willing to declare their independence over it. And how much are we willing to accept today?
Speaker 1: How much of a leadism sort of came into play, Like even though like George Washington was read, she's not a British noble, right, he probably still felt like they were thumbing their nose at him, looking down upon him. How much of that sort of had to play in here.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good question when you think about the leadership in the colonies. If you just use Virginia as an example. I mean, a lot of these people believe they were in so many ways kind of a part of this old gentrification system in Great Britain. I mean, you have the distressed cavaliers that came over to Virginia and they established plantations. But certainly there was an anti monarch stance in America. I wouldn't say it was dramatically democratic the way we think of it today, but they were certainly more democratic than which you would find in Great Britain. As far as the elitist position. I mean, they certainly didn't care for the for the hereditary monarchy. They at least a portion of the founding generation didn't. They didn't care for it. There were those, of course did I mean there were there were Tories in America, so they were certainly fine with the monarchy. But those that were interested independence, I mean that attack on the king or this hereditary system was something they didn't like. And this is why when there was an executive proposed in Philadelphia in seventeen eighty seven, they all sat in sun Stylus for a minute. They said, you know what, my gosh, this is we're going to get a king, and we didn't want that. And so when you look at the artist of Articles of Confederation, there's no monarchy in that, there's no executive. So that was something they were certainly concerned about, and that elite I don't know if it was necessary elitism, but they certainly didn't like the hereditary monarchical system to a great extent.
Speaker 1: Quick commercial break back with doctor Brian McClanahan on the other side, talk about sort of like the provocations, these acts where that revolutionary spirit just started to build up. You know, we talked about the Stamp Back, you talked about the Sugar Act. You know, you got the Tact, the Township Acts, all these different things, you know, talk about sort of that build up and that increase just frustration with the heavy hand of you know, the British government kind of you know, putting it down on their necks.
Speaker 2: Sure well, I mean, if you, if you one of my favorite characters in all that is Sam Adams, because Sam Adams was the guy that we all know. This person they stand on the corner or nowadays it's on the Internet and they say, you know, it's going to get bad. It's going to get worse. Just wait, it's going to get worse. It doesn't matter what's going on this things are going to get worse. Just wait and see, just watch take my word for it. And so if you look at seventeen sixty five and the Stamp Act and the response to that, it actually works. I mean, the colonists figured out that if they could go after the British and the Parliament in their wallet, it was going to help. And so the response was either mullification or non importation. They set up ways to hurt the empire economically, but of course by seventeen sixty seven the Parliament is doubling down. And then by seventeen seventy you see things get pretty bad, right, I mean, it's you have your five years away from the ultimate break. But you had a period of law between seventeen seventy and seventeen seventy two when there wasn't a whole lot going on. But by seventeen seventy three, again you see these bills by parliament ramping up. And this is the North Parliament. I mean, they certainly believed that the colonies were their subjects and they needed to be to pay their fair share and do what the Parliament told them. And you know, you look at things like the Intallible Acts, which eventually came about because of the Tea Act and the response to that. One thing we missed about the Tact, by the way, let me just say this is that it wasn't really a tax on tea that the colonists were concerned about. It was establishing the monopoly only certain partners could trade that bridge. She's India tea, and so they thought that was a violation of good economic sense. And of course the creating a royal monopoly in the colonies, and so that's why they resisted it. But when you look at the intolerable acts, I mean shutting down the Massachusetts government saying that you're going to be essentially part of Canada, which at that time was where they're where they're linking them in. That was Catholic, and so you had this religious resistance there as well. But that was the real issue. It was taking away those colonial charters essentially and saying you're going to be under us, directly under our thumb. That was the point when I think everyone realized, Okay, this is going to get really bad, and if we're willing to accept this now, there's no turning back. I mean, they're going to say to us that they can abolish our legislatures. They can they can do whatever they want to us. You had in Virginia right that the Groyl governor shut down the legislature of the House of Burgesses, and so they went and met in the tavern and said, Okay, we're going to beat in Raleigh tavern. We're going to legislate anyways, because you can't annihilate our legislature. So that was the real point when you had these intolerable acts. Even though they were directed only at Massachusetts, the other colonies reacted to it and saying, well, if it's going to happen there, it's going to happen here. And of course Sam Adams has proven correct. He said, just wait, this is all going to get bad and eventually, and eventually it did.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got a lot of people saying that about where we are today too, but we'll get to that in a little bit. You know, how important were things like the Boston Tea Party, obviously a massive fu to the British government and just spurring that public sentiment of rilling people up to being like, you know what it's on, right?
Speaker 2: I mean, the Boston Tea Party in terms of propaganda was very important. You had, of course Paul Revere and you know, involved in creating images of this thing. But when you look at the actual massacre itself, the term massacre, I mean it was it was it wasn't really a massacre with the loss of life, but the the the way that they could sell this to the public was and of course the colonists were somewhat responsible for this. I mean they're harassing the British soldiers or throwing ice at him, and there was a lot of question about whether you know, there was even an order given to fire by the British or if this was somebody staying in the shadows yelling fire. Of course, there's also a fire and actual physical fire in Boston at that point, and so maybe somebody got a little itchy trigger finger and they fired. But the important part about it too was the response by John Adams, who thought that these soldiers needed a fair trial because if they didn't get a fair trial, then the Parliament could look at him and say, well, I mean we're gonna we're gonna ship you back over to London to stand trial, so for anything else. So he wanted to ensure that these soldiers got a fair trial, and they did. He actually was able to get several of them acquitted. So that response to is interesting. Adams did that to great expense of his of his career at least at that point, but in terms of propaganda, it's huge because now you have dead people in the streets, and there were other there was another event in New York City where you had a similar kind of you know riot. There was some there was some bloodshed there too, so that I mean that part of that period of time, that little bit of violence. But again things calmed down after that for a couple of years, and then it was it ramped back up again leading into seventeen seventy five.
Speaker 1: Well, and you also had, you know, other public acts of rebellion like the Boston Tea Party as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean the Boston Tea There are many tea parties. That's that's a fun part of this too. The Boston Tea Party where the most conspicuous where they threw the tea into the harbor. But you actually had tea parties in Maryland. You had so you had one there where the citizens of Maryland took all the tea off the ship and then burned it. And of course the funny thing about that is they sold it, right, They didn't just throw it in the harbor. They took it and they sold it and they used the money to finance their activities against the crown. So that was the more wise thing to do than just throwing it in the harbor. But this, the response of it to the Tea Act, was not just in Boston. It was it was again across the colony. So these public resistance to these unco constitution or in toable acts was something very important in leading up to the war. And again when we think about today, we had the tea Party movement for a little while and people you can thrown little tea bags into the water. I mean, that's that's funny. But I don't know if Americans are as committed today as as the founding generation was, as standing up for things that they considered to be their liberties if but I am encouraged by what happened with COVID and people finally saying enough, we're just not gonna wear the masks. We're not going to do this. We're not gonna We're not going to abide by your stupid edicts. These things are illegal, they're unconstitutional. I think that's that was encouraging, and also the response from various states and saying, you know, federal government, you're really want to have this power. We're going to do what we want to do in Florida, for example, in Ronda Santis. So that was the spirit of independence and I think that's something again that's lacking throughout most of America, but it is still there in many parts of the United States. And that's a good thing to see.
Speaker 1: And also I think I'm acron helped too, because basically all these people who think they thought they could hide in their basements for two years got COVID and then they're like, Okay, well I don't care anymore. It's sort of like deprogrammed these crazy people.
Speaker 2: So right, as more and more people got it and they figured out it was a bad cold, and of course, you know, you can't minimize it. Initially it was. It was pretty rough on a lot of people, and a lot of elderly people in particular. But you know, our response to it, the government's response to it was very much a British type response initially, and I think that's that's something we miss in all this, and of course not everyone did, but it's a yeah, you're right. As people started seeing this is not something that we should fear, and they got back in and so forget it. We're just going to live our lives. And I think that was another great part of the whole thing at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: But to your point, you know, thank god for people like Governor DeSantis fighting against the federal government and saying we're just not going to do this year. This makes no sense and having the guts and you know, the fortitude to do that. So you know, you got the Continental Congress starts meeting in seventeen seventy four, and then we've got the declaration, the signing of the Declaration in Dependence on July fourth, seventeen seventy six, ratified by the Second Continental Congress. Between the first and then this second Continental Congress, what sort of because my understanding is like the first one that not everyone was really it was more of just kind of like setting a message saying, look, this is sort of what we want. It wasn't really at that point of saying, you know, we're we're full throttle, we're you know, we're all in on declaring independence. So what kind of well, first of all, you know, correct me if I'm wrong. Secondly, what sort of transpired between that first one and then declaring independence? That sort of just you know, for the people kind of hanging out, hanging on the side saying I don't know, brought them over the edge.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, you're exactly right about the first kindent of Congress and John Adams complained they weren't going to do anything, and so you have they get together in Philadelphia and they say, all right, well look, let's let's talk about what's happening here. And then of course they did adopt became the Suffolk Resolves, which were, as I mentioned before, a nullification process. We're going to nullify any unconstitutional life. But they weren't willing to break at that point. And I think that's because, I mean, as Patrick Henry point pointed out, and has give me liberty to give me death speech. I mean, this was this was something we were more inclined to do. People are inclined to suffer. Weoll evils are sufferable. I mean, so they were generally willing to accept. American people were generally willing to accept these unconstitutional invasions while they could tolerate them. Right. So this this was something that I think in seventeen seventy four they weren't so committed to independence. Yet certainly there were people that were. I mean again, Patrick Henry Lardy was he considered Virginia independent much much earlier than this, I mean this early as seventeen sixty five, but in Sam Adams. But I think for the most part you had in the founding generation they were still willing to put the brakes On, and I think the real change came when the king rejected their pleas for an olive branch. This was John Dickinson. He writes the olive branch petition, and of course George the Third gets this. At the same time he gets some male intercepted mail where John Adams says, well, nobody really believes this thing anyways, and so George was not willing at that point to accept any type of compromise. And then, of course you get seventeen seventy five and you get the invasion of Lexington and Concord, and I think that's what really turned people around. They said, okay, well, if they're going to actually march in and try to seize our arms, which is what they were doing, that was the point that there's no turning back. And so you get that was almost a year before the declaration, so by seventeen seventy six it was a full break and you still even had people in Dickinson wasn't going to support independence. Even in seventeen seventy six, you're still have people that weren't on board with it yet. But in realizing that, I think most people realized when there was an armed conflict in Massachusetts, and then of course you had other events before seventeen before the declaration as well. This was it. We can't turn back, we can't say oop, sorry, we're going to We're just going to say we're going to stay in the empire. There was no way that was going to happen because the Parliament was going to do everything they could to force the colonies to bend to their will, and the king was not going to support them. And so I think they believed by that point they really had no choice by seventeen seventy six except independence.
Speaker 1: So like for the folks like Dickerson that you just mentioned, was it loyalty, was it fear? Sort of what was holding them back from, you know, being completely on board with a revolution.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it was a mix of both. I mean John Dickinson was a very wealthy man in Delaware, in Pennsylvania. He had he had a number of houses, of course, all of which were burned except his plantation in Delaware, and they were they were loyal to the crown. I mean this is it'd be no different than any of us sitting here today and saying my gosh, I mean that would be a big decision for any of us, do we want independence? We've been American citizens for all these years, however old you are, and we've been you know, pro the United States for all this time. And that's a big decision for people to make, and it's not one to be taken lightly. And I think that was the issue for many of them. They weren't certain if they wanted that to take that step, And of course there was some fear too. They knew that if they signed their name to that declaration or voted for it, that could be construed as treason and so that you could forfeit your life and your property in that case. So this is a big decision to make, and it's we take this now very light law. We have July fourth, and everyone shoots off fireworks, we have hot dogs and ball games. But when that decision was made in Philadelphia on July second, in fact, and they sat there and stunned silence. Do we really just do this? Did all of these people just vote by state for independence? And there was not a big cheer and this is going to be a big party. This was, oh my gosh, what did we just do? And it was a heavy decision for all the reasons you mentioned, but I think that they realized the gravity of the situation and what was going to happen and what could potentially happen if they lost that the pushbur independence.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's really heady what they just did, right, I mean, I mean they're declaring war. I mean, they're they're they're going to go to war. They're they're sending their family members, their neighbors, the people they love to war. I mean that's a huge, huge thing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's not something to take lightly. And and you know, when you look at the costs. When they when they said in the declaration they pledge their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to this, they really meant it. I think that's not something that we can we can just flippantly disregard. So many men sacrificed everything for that. And you know, I at often talked about the Minutemen. You know, they're in Massachusetts at Lexington and Concord. Imagine you're in your you're in your bed, it's middle of the night, and you hear a rider coming down the road and the regulars are coming out and you have to get up, grab your grab your musket and head out the door to go confront the regulars of the British army, which is one of the best armies in the world. I mean, maybe only the French were better. It's it's it's questionable. At that point, they're both about the same. So here you are a militiaman fighting against a regular army, and that's something we don't really think about. These men were not trained to be soldiers like the British. And so when you think about the Battle of Bunker Hill and and the the casualties that these militia inflicted on the on the regulars there. But then you move forward in time to the Battle of Long Island and how the British and the Hessians just annihilated the American forces, and what Washington had to he was crying, he was weeping as he's watching his men just get plowed over by the British. And I mean, this is this is really difficult, a really difficult time, and a really difficult time for for a lot of people, and a hard decision to make. And so I don't think we can ever say enough about these men who were willing to, you know, walk and knee deep snow at the at the at the Battle of Trenton to cross the Delaware River and all the things, all the deprivations and Valley Forge and in the South where you know, you had and Charleston patriots executed by the British just because they supported the clause. And I mean, this is this is really hard stuff. And so this was not something that these people took lightly, and we should we should really celebrate them for this if we really valued independence.
Speaker 1: Do you think they would have won if France hadn't gotten involved.
Speaker 2: Probably not. The French breaking the blockade and and of course sending in some reinforcements there in late in the war was certainly beneficial. And you know, Yorktown would not have happened without the French. So I don't think that there's any way the United States can win without it. And of course they you know, they knew that. I think they knew that if they didn't get some type of international support, this war was going to be over and they were going to lose. And all of these men who signed a declaration, We're going to go down as traders, and we would be looking an entirely different situation, and we wouldn't have the United States today. So the French were valuable, and of course what did they get out of it, just a whole bunch of debt and in their own revolutions. So the byproduct for the French, the after and after the French was not what I think they wanted, But of course it's what we wanted at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Well, and obviously, you know, we celebrate Independence Day, we celebrate that Declaration of Independence. You know, what is the significance of it from your perspective as a historian, Well, for.
Speaker 2: Me, it's the last paragraph. Everyone focuses on the second in the you know, the line, all mented, we hold these streets of weself evident, all men are created equal. But for me, it's the last paragraph, which declared that these were free and independent states, because that sets the basis for the entire structure of the American government from that point forward. You think about the Articles of Confederation, well you had they said it the states were independent. Even when you get to the Constitution, the way it was sold to the states was that we have a federal republic, and these states still have powers, all the powers not delegated to the center. And so we have this reserved powers idea that comes out of the Declaration. And you have to understand Jefferson and the Declaration called Great Britain a state, and so it was the state of Great Britain, and you had thirteen independent states, and each state could do all the acts and things which independent states may have right to. He said it. And so you had thirteen countries that were unified in their opposition to British and we come together in a federal union that was basically modeled after what they were living under before. Right, the central authority could regulate commerce and defense, international commerce and defense, and then with the constitution commerce between the states, and that was it. I mean, everything else is left to the states. All the things that we talk about today that we wring our hands over are really state issues at the end of the day. And the problem is that we have people focus so much on the center and we need one size fits all government for everything. And that's again that's legislating for us in all cases whatsoever. That's not what the founding generation would have wanted. So for me, it's that principle and that last paragraph that really matters moving forward in American government.
Speaker 1: Do you think that will happen naturally after COVID. I mean, for instance, I left New York City because I wanted to live freely as an American and move to Florida for that very purpose. And we've I've seen a lot of this migration. Red states are getting retter, like Florida's officially a red state when you look at registered Republicans in the state. Do you think that separation is sort of underway in a way that it hasn't been recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I think COVID did a lot to do that. People are you know, I have people listeners all the time on my show because this is the theme of the show is think locally, act locally, right, instead of think globally, act locally. You got to think locally in act locally so you can change your life at the local level. And it's it's something that people don't realize. And you look at protests at the Supreme Court now and if you whatever your position on those are, and I know we're talking to conservatives, so it's people would laugh at these protesters, But what kind of impact do you think five ten people are going to have in the Supreme Court steps? But if they went to their state capital, that would be larger impact. Or if they went to their if they went to their city council, it'd be a larger impact. And so when we start talking about this idea of decentralization and how important Rhonda Santis is for the future of Florida, I think I hope he states governor of Florida, and I know that people want to be president, but we need fifty Ronda Santances. That's what we really need, and that would make it to where Joe Biden would virtually be irrelevant if we had states that actually stood up and said, you know what, you only have these powers and we're not going to let you have any others. The government really doesn't have the central government to really doesn't have the ability to enforce all the things that they do, and people recognize that. In the nineteenth century, it's the idea of non commandeering. They can pass all the legislation they want, but they don't have the resources to enforce all this stuff. The states are going to have to do it all. So if the states say forget it, we're just not doing it, it changes the whole ballgame. And so I think people are waking up to this, you know, and with the mass mandates and all these other things that happened during COVID, and the governor's saying, we're just not We're going to keep our state open. We're just not going to do those things. You can have whatever you want in California. You can have whatever you want in Massachusetts or New York. But we're going to do what we want to do in Florida or Alabama or Montana or wherever it was. We're going to take things differently. And so again that spirit of this resistance to unconstitutional government, I think is starting to manifest itself a little better, and people are voting with their feet, as you said, go into different states.
Speaker 1: Quick break more on the founding generation on the other side, fast forward to the Constitution so ratified in seventeen EDA, in operation since seventeen eighty nine. So Democrats like to say we have democracy, Republicans say we have a constitutional republic. Why does that distinction matter? And sort of what do you make of that debate that is always happening in our country.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the term democracy is a loaded term. What kind of democracy? Do we have a representative democracy? Do we have a direct democracy. I mean, what do we really have. The founding generation was committed to democracy, but it was always with a check, right. They didn't really trust mass popular democracy because they didn't think that people had enough information or were well educated enough to make these decisions. Oftentimes, that's why you see in the Constitution itself there's only one really democratic part of the Constitution, and that is the House of Representatives. Otherwise, the Senate was designed to be the state check on the entire system. The States chose the senators, and of course through the legislatures themselves, but the states did that originally. And then of course the president is elected by the electoral college, not direct vote. You've got the federal court system, which is all appointed. So there's a whole lot of anti democratic stuff in the Constitution because they just didn't really believe that majoritarian rule was always the best thing. And they even said it. After the Constitution was written and it was going through ratification, there was a lot of discussion about democracy and how this was going to be a check on rampant democracy. They thought democracy was ruining the states. They thought it was the bane of good government. So these distinctions to make, you know, don't we don't have a democracy, but I think the best term is a federal republic with representative government, not direct democracy. And there were others that were concerned about what majoritarian rule could do. Right, if it's fifty people here, one hundred people or one hundred and one people, and fifty one people get to rule the other fifty, is that really good government or is that tyranny? I mean, because those fifty people can be abused by fifty one people, and that's I mean, we don't really think about these things nowadays, but certainly they did. They understood that you could have a bad government even with democracy, and so you had to have some checks on that, which.
Speaker 1: Is why we have things like the electoral college exactly.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean it's the electoral college kept the states in the system. It allowed for another layer from the popular vote. We didn't count the popular vote until until the eighteen twenties, right, I mean, no, we even knew what it was. It didn't matter. It only mattered what the electoral college voted. And that was certainly there to ensure that there was some more educated person, so to speak, making a decision about who is going to be president in the United States. But if the presidency was actually we here to that the way it was actually designed, the president would almost be irrelevant here for foreign policy to receive ambassadors, to make appointments, to make recommendations. But Congress had all the power, and that's something that Congress wants to hide. Today. We have executive government because Congress allows it to happen. So you need to be talking about Congress and what Congress needs to do and take their own power back from the executive. It's very difficult to do, but it's something that I think needs to be done in the future. Moving forward.
Speaker 1: Now that makes a ton of sense. We're talking about the founding generation, and we sort of touched on it throughout the conversation, but just get into how far are we today from what America was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: I think almost one hundred and eighty degrees when you look at seventeen eighty nine, when the US Congress meets for the first time and we have the Constitution and the way that was sold to the states. I use that term because it was a ratification process where they actually had to sell this thing. We had this new constitution. Not everyone was on board where we're going to do, how is this thing going to work? And the opponents of the document we're talking about, we're going to have a government that was going to be oppressive, it was going to abuse the states, it was going to do all kinds of illegal things what ultimately would be illegal things. And those who supported the proponents of the document insisted, no, well just look and you can only do these things and then everything else is left to the state. So if you just take that ratification process and then look at where we are and everything is centralized, everything is Washington, DC, everything, all the things the general government does that are completely unconstitutional, I think they would be the opponents would feel like they're vindicated, Well we told you so, and the proponents would have, you know, egg on their face because this is not the constitution that they sold during the ratification process, but it's what we ultimately got. And so I think that the so called anti federalists were prescient in what was going to happen. And I mean, we are not anywhere near what was sold to the states in seventeen eighty seven and seventeen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Well, I think one thing that the Trump administration really opened a lot. I mean, I guess we saw it a little bit during the Obama administration with like the IRS targeting conservatives and things of that nature, or just like spying on the Senate Intel Committee and reporters and the things like that. But we really saw it come to a head during the Trump administration sort of this administrative state, this deep state, these bureaucrats sort of subverting the will of the American people. How do you scale back government at this point? Is is it too late when you look at something.
Speaker 2: Like that, Well, I mean, the set, I don't think you can reform Washington DC, but again there's certainly cracks and what it can do. And you can even look at things the left does, for example, sanctuary cities, which is something that you know, when we talk about immigration, a lot of these sanctuary city laws written in the nineteen eighties, and it was, you know what we're going to do here. We're not going to enforce the federal government coming in and rounding up aliens. They can come in all they want and do it, but we're just not going to use state resources or local resources to do it. And you know what happened. They didn't have the resources that go do it, and so they just the state just said we're just not going to do these things. And I think that is the key moving forward. We have to think about bottom up, not top down. Washington is lost. It doesn't matter if we elect Ronda Santis or Donald Trump or take your pick of Republican. It doesn't matter if the Republicans control Congress because we know that they don't overdo. I mean, look, they're impotent oftentimes, and what they even they don't follow through on anything they say they're going to do most of the time. So reforming Washington DC is lost. But you can look at Ronda Santis and everything. I mean, if you're in Florida right now, which you say you're in Florida, he's doing amazing things there and pushing back against the cancel culture in the culture War and everything else. It's amazing what ron De Santis is doing. And so that is the key moving forward. I think if we want to take things back in America, if we want to make America great again, it has to come from the bottom up. That's the only way it's going to happen. And the states have all the authority and all the power to do it. It's just a matter if they're willing to do it.
Speaker 1: And your point about governmentor Desanta's, I mean, it's not only our own government, like and people within it trying to subvert the will of the American people. We also now corporations that have come to the party who are sort of aligning themselves with d C and enforcing their will on you know, Americans and enforcing like the government's will on Americans. You know, how do you sort of what's your take on that? Like we saw the recent fight with Disney and things of that nature, big tech, you know, all these different things.
Speaker 2: Well, again, I think the states can regulate that kind of thing. You know, the Santas is going after Disney. Well okay, if you want all these state kickbacks, well then you're going to have to do you have to toe the line. And corporations the idea of a corporate person I mean that corporate personhood is the problem there. But the other thing average Americans can do, of course, if you don't like what Coca Cola or Disney or you know, the NFL, or what, take your pick of some corporation you don't like we was do, We'll just stop buying their products. This is exactly what the founding generation, they were going to boycott your stuff, and the left does this pretty effectively at times. Conservatives tend not to follow through where they get kicked off for a little while and then they just keep going what they're doing. But that economic bustle, I think is something that needs to needs to be said and it needs to be done. We saw it with with Disney here in this new movie, the light Year movie. Apparently it bombed the box office because people said, we're just not going to tolerate this, and we're not going to bring our kids to this. It's not something we want to do. So there is a pushback that can happen with finances if you really want to. And then of course also the state's getting involved in saying if you want to incorporate in our state, then you're not going to do X, Y and Z, and I think that's also a key to reigning in some of these corporations as well.
Speaker 1: You know, obviously there's a conversation happening in the country right now about the Second Amendment. What's the role of the Second Amendment? Our amendment in our lives. A lot of dispute about what the meaning of the Second Amendment was with the purpose was from a historical perspective, what was the purpose of the Second Amendment and does that still hold true today?
Speaker 2: Well, of course, the purpose of the Second Amendment was to ensure that the United States had a militiam right, I mean. And so when you think about the Constitution, it says very clearly in the Constitution without the Second Amendment, that the central government can arm the militia. Well, of course, the theory was that they could arm the militia, then they could disarm the militia, and the militia was every able body citizen between eighteen and forty five, and so when there was a discussion of a Bill of rights, it was okay, well, look, if they we need to ensure that they can't disarm us and make us impotent, and so that the state can come in or the central authority can come in and simply run rough shot over us. So the states controlled the militia, and of course the states controlled the essentially the arming of citizens. And so now it's interesting about that when when the First Congress met, they actually passed the Militia Law that established the fact that every male had to be armed. They had to have a certain had to have a firearm, they had a certain amount of powder, a certain amount of ammunition. So they could arm the militia, but they could not disarm them. And so the Second Amendment is vital to our understanding of what an armed civilian population is therefore, which is to prevent centralized tyranny. And I think there's there's no other way around it. Certainly states can do more than the central government can. But I've always maintained any gun control legislation from the central authority is illegal the states. There's a lot more wiggle room there, depending on the state constitutions. But certainly this is something that the left is politicized again looking at things from present status instead of thinking about it the way that it's just a natural right to self defense.
Speaker 1: Well, and I mean the Battle of Lexigon Concord, didn't I mean they were coming for guns exactly right.
Speaker 2: I mean that's they were. They were trying to disarm the militia, and that was that was what was happening in seventeen seventy five. So they were they had a central armory there, and but that was the ide me you have those in the United States. Now you have National Guard armory. So imagine the US government coming in and saying, we're going to take this away from you. And of course the National Guard is a whole other monster, and what that means is changing the nature of the militia there. But this is what was happening in seventeen seventy five. So the idea is, we're going to disarm you and we're going to take away your firearms so you cannot resist any of our unconstitutional laws. And I think at the end of the day, that's something we have to recognize and realize was one of the main parts of this American warfare independence.
Speaker 1: And I think what's really important about this conversation with you is I think, you know, look, I was a little bit naive before COVID to be I mean, I always saw that the government was a bad actor. You know, We've seen numerous examples, and the governments pretty much always lie to us our entire lives. But I think for whatever reason, I still was naive to the fact that tyranny could get reborn here in America, right like we were somewhat immune to tyranny, despite you know, Reagan and beautiful quotes that he's made about freedom being one generation away from extinction, and COVID just really opened my eyes, and I think it opened a lot of people's eyes to the fact that like, tyranny is here, the threat is real, and you know, we have to fight for liberty in America.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think if you look at when this process really began was in the middle of the twentieth century and basically the Truman administration, we created this deep state that we have, and at the end of World War Two, we didn't demobilize. We just kept all the programs in place from the New Deal and then also everything that was used to fight the war, and we've just kept that in place. And all that deep state apparatus and creation of the politicized CIA and a militarized CIA and the FBI and everything that happens there, all of that is a byproduct of extreme centralization during World War Two and it's always been there. It's just that people haven't really recognized that they've lived their lives and they just think the FBI just hurts everybody else, or the CIA hurts everybody else, or the central government hurts everybody else, but not me. But now with COVID, they saw well. I mean, if they can do these things of these people, they can do it to us too. And so I think that's really where this deep state apparatus was in place, and it was there just to use, and we saw it during twenty twenty and twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Man, I could honestly talk to you for hours. This is one of the more fascinating conversations I've had. But you know, in the interest of time, is there anything else you'd like to leave us with before we go?
Speaker 2: Well, again, I think it's important to understand that the Founding Generation was committed to independence, committed to decentralization, they were committed to local government, and they were committed to running their own lives. And if we can do any if we can live anyway like the Founding Generation, it would be that think locally, act locally. Idea, make sure you're going to your city council meetings, make sure you're paying attention to your state legislatures. Make sure you're paying attention to your governors. That's more important than anything else. Vote in those local elections, get people in those local elections, and in your we've seen you Texas GOP their platforms. It's now national news because they're thinking about decentralization. They're thinking about what can the local do to ensure that we have the liberties and freedoms we want in the state of Texas. So this is important. It's you just don't focus on Donald Trump or Joe Biden or whoever's in Congress. Think about these people at the state and local level and get people on an office there. You do it yourself that want to are committed and want to pursue these ideas of independence and decentralization. That at the end of the day is what we can type away from the founding generation.
Speaker 1: Where can people find your work?
Speaker 2: You can go to brianmclanna hand dot com as brionmplaning hand dot com and you can find everything that I do there, my podcast, my academy, all the stuff that I do. So it's I appreciate any of your listeners going out there and checking me out.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir. I appreciate your time. This has been fascinating and I think a really important conversation. So I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So that was loss up. I hope you guys at home listen to that about the importance of independence, the importance of liberty, what our founding generation believed, and why we should still care about those principles today as we celebrate Independence Day, as we go out and spend time with friends and family. Liberty is the most important and if we lose it, we lose our country. So I really appreciated his time. I thought he was an amazing guest. Definitely we'll have him back on the show for sure. You guys should go check out his work. And thank you all for listening at home. I really appreciate you tuning in every Monday and Thursday to the show. Also, we want to make my teammate, my producer, John Cassio, for working so hard to bring this show to you and for us. So thanks so much for listening. Guys. Happy fourth of July, Happy Independence Day.