Speaker 1: And That's what You Really Missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you and That's what You Really miss podcast on Jenna.
Speaker 2: I'm Michael, and today we are talking Gwyneth Paltrow.
Speaker 1: All things Gwyneth.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hi, it's the substitute day. Akay. Gwyneth Paltrow Emmy Award winning performance on her first episode of Glee. She looks she looks so good. You know what's in curating too. I remember when she showed up and they were like, she doesn't really want to wor makeup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're like, don't really do her hair. She was like, just straighten it from like the half down. She's like, don't touch the top. And there she is, looking younger than all of us.
Speaker 2: It's infuriating.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's let's talk about gwinnet. But let's just give a little a little preamble here. This is the substitute. It is episode seven of season two and the air date was Ushu Shu November sixteenth, twenty ten. We were getting close to Thanksgiving. What was what was going on in the world? Kevin oh Na Na, What's My Name?
Speaker 2: Was the number one song that's exactly what Rihanna sounds like, and the number one movie was Unstoppable starrying. Denzel Washington and.
Speaker 1: Chris Pine also didn't see that.
Speaker 2: Nope. Some glean news this week, Leah and Corey were on the cover.
Speaker 1: Of teen Vogue looking very angelic.
Speaker 2: I mean beautiful like models lighting. Also this week, some of us went to the GQ magazine Men of the Year event. It was Chateau. I had a very it looks like I had an accident with the hair straightener.
Speaker 1: You look like you stepped out of like Emo, the Emo two thousands, and there was bad.
Speaker 2: So we were filming. We were filming at that high school where I did Safety Dance, I mean at the mall where we did Save Dance. I don't know what we were filming there. We haven't gotten there yet.
Speaker 1: But was it Christmas?
Speaker 2: Maybe we're filming Christmas. Maybe it is that. And so we had exactly two seconds to get ready, like in our trailers.
Speaker 1: And that's when this whole started, this thing where if we had to go to an event, we were so busy working that they would have hair and makeup come to set to get us ready and we go straight from set, which was like not the ideal.
Speaker 2: It was not ideal, and I mean you saw what happened with my hair. But that's where we also met my good friend Douglas Booth actor.
Speaker 1: Is that where you met Dougie Booth.
Speaker 2: That's where I met Dougie Booth because he was a model at the time becoming an actor, and that's where it all started.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love Dougyoth.
Speaker 2: I know. Isn't that great?
Speaker 1: That is great? What a memory.
Speaker 2: It was worth it. It was worth getting ready really quickly so I could go befriend one dog Booth. Okay, so this episode was directed by Ryan Murphy.
Speaker 1: Didn't remember that.
Speaker 2: I didn't either, but it makes sense, like this episode directed very well.
Speaker 1: Well, it's directed very well. It's a very funny episode. And also I couldn't see anybody else directing Gweth on our first day of course, yes, okay, were our special guest star is Gwyneth Paltrow, herself, Holly Holliday. And we've got a lot of co stars, a lot of teeny tiny co stars.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have the child version of the Glee Club, which was so cute. Loved them.
Speaker 1: I was nice to share you lot a greed. I remember being a back behind in village when they were doing that, and all of us trying not to crack up laughing. All the parents of these little kids are there, of course obviously how cute were they?
Speaker 2: We were all there watching obsessed.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have a photo us with our minis on that we can post later. That was really fun. We'll talk about that. They're all really cute.
Speaker 2: They're so cute and so good. I don't even want to look up how old they are now that way.
Speaker 1: Oh, when Jesslyn returns for this episode outum, she.
Speaker 2: Sure does good. We need more Jesslin always right.
Speaker 1: What songs were in this episode?
Speaker 2: You know, we don't have that many songs we have forget you make them laugh nowadays Slash Hot Honey rag and singing in the rain slash Umbrella. There was a little conjunction junction as well.
Speaker 1: That's right. I mean heard other class montages were like it. And then GP won the Emmy, like you said, for Guest Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for for Holly Holliday. Uh what so this episode, mister Shue gets sick, he gets the was it the monkey flu? The bird flu?
Speaker 2: There's something going around it takes out, takes out the principal, and it takes out the glee club director you know yep.
Speaker 1: And Holly Holiday comes in to take over his spatter class and then at the work of Kurt the glee club, and she winds up winning everybody over. And Sue is principal figgins Sylvester for some temporary moment which is permanent, and she tries to get crazy.
Speaker 2: She doesn't try, she does get crazy.
Speaker 1: She does get crazy. She takes away the tots.
Speaker 2: The whole episode made me hungry.
Speaker 1: I was like tattered. They looked really good.
Speaker 2: Before we get into this, I think we just have to talk about Gwyneth for a hot second.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: I was so nervous and starstruck because I think this was the first time I had ever been around like an Oscar winner, and I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to like play it really cool, you know when you try to play it cool and you just come off actually cold, yes, and like rude. I was very worried about that because I just wouldn't speak, like we'd be sitting in the you know, in between shots, like just like trying not to make eye contact. And then luckily, Gwyneth is one of the coolest, doesn't give a shit, chillest person you could ever meet, and was incredible.
Speaker 1: She was so much fun. She came on set. Her stature is so large, Aura, yes, that Aura, and she comes up and you're like, oh my god, like I get it, you know, you like get it. But she was so cool and so chill and hung out with us in between takes, like she didn't walk away, you know, like she's always with us, with us, hanging out her kids. Funny, that's right. She brought our kids a lot. It was, Oh my goodness, it was really a fun time. And I don't think we could have ever expected that from Gwynneth, you know, you just don't expect to like have. And then I remember she also gave us all handwritten notes, which I believe she actually wrote thank you notes for being on the show and like.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: It was really and yeah, I remember being like, oh, we're doing a musical number with her, too musical?
Speaker 2: Yes, are you kidding me? When I realized that I was singing on a song with her, I like, I can't wait for my family to see this. I've really come up, Like I.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when she came on tour and did THEO two with us and she did Forget You, and we didn't have that in there otherwise obviously, but she came and I remember she was with Apple and Apple was kind of grown up at that point. This is way after this first episode, but she she came backstage and you know, we got to hang out there for a little bit, and then they were like, we we rehearsed for, you know, the number before she went on. And then she's like, I'm gonna go watch the show. And I'm like what, yeah, and she's said me a watch, so they I see her in the opening number. I think it was like in the opening three trio that we do, and I see her get escorted I think maybe by Telly all the way down to like seat number four in the aisle, row four in the workstra She's wearing a Glee sweatshirt with the hood and the drop string all the way up and nobody knew.
Speaker 2: No because we were so entertaining, no one was watching. What it felt throwing the on in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure she was dancing. It was I was like, you're gonna go watch the show. Stay that.
Speaker 2: I feel like I performed most of that show for Apple and her friends because right before they started, Apple like nicknamed me something I don't remember what it was. And arty Pants. It was already pants and they were calling me arty pants. And so they were standing on the side of the stage. Every time I'd go over there, I would just yell out arty pants, like point to them. They would like to scream and dance around. Yeah, it was one. It was very surreal, like you grow up like hearing about somebody and seeing them in movies and tabloids and things, and you're like, oh, now we're just hanging with gwynethan London or wherever, like eating pizza off of the hood of a car on the back lot as we're shooting with her and her kids. It's like this is wild. Yeah, and we're still friends and she's great and wonderful and we love her. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also just in the Glee family now having married Brat, Yeah, getting closer to her and now here we are. Okay. So Sue, there's a there's a flu going around, and she makes sure that Principal Figgins gets it, so it's ices sneezes on Figgins. And this made me think of COVID. I was like, don't sneeze on them?
Speaker 2: No, very scary.
Speaker 1: But Figgins gets very sick and Sue is principal and her first order of business is she's going to destroy the glee club again. So here we are so then will get sick and this will be kind of the other part of this episode and will goes down as well. But Sue also tries to take down the football team, and this scene where she comes into dot Chekobes and says she's she is disbanding the football team coach Pece for the first time, we see her in a power position saying, well, who are your cheerleaders going to cheer for? Sue's reaction number one was great, but also this was one of my favorite scenes. I love the scene, really funny cut to her writing in her book Hugh Mely, Yeah so good.
Speaker 2: So obviously, then with shoe down bad with the monkey flu, we need a new glee club instructor. So Rachel tries it for a hot second, which is very funny, but the glee clubs obviously not happened having it, and so Kurt recruits the sub for Spanish, which is none other than Holly Holliday Gwyneth Paltrow, and he convinces her to take over the glee club after being in her English class where she does a full musical number of conjunction junction, And she comes in and I think probably is one of the most famous scenes from the show now of you know, Puck buttering the floor, Kurt and Rachel slipping on the butter and when like just coolly sliding in.
Speaker 1: Do you remember how she did the butter?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Actually, they put her on roller skates. Really, she was on roller skates and she skated in.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that at all, And.
Speaker 1: I was like, what is going to day on roller skates?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember, not knowing what was going on it clearly we didn't read the script. How do we not know what's happening in this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, what's going with the butter? And like, what are you talking about? Yeah, she was on like roller skates or rollerblades, and I'll never forget it. I'll never forget it. So she comes in and she asks us what we want to do, which is like such a concept. It's kind of like in Glee when a director's like, what do you want to do? Right, and so book's a se lo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so Holly Holliday does her first number.
Speaker 2: I mean, and she ended up doing the Grammys with Celo, which is crazy. That's a crazy impact because that was one of the biggest songs of that year. And then you're nominated for a Grammy and you have Gwyneth Paltrow come on and do it with you because that version was so big, you know, isn't that insane?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's crazy. I also don't know that I knew that Gwyneth could sing like that, did you know?
Speaker 2: And she was super I think excited to do that because also a lot of these guest stars wanted to come on the show because a lot of people can sing and don't get the opportunity to if they're you know, movie stars or TV stars. There's not a lot of musicals going around. And so yeah, and I think she sounds great on the song.
Speaker 1: Kevin, we have to go back to the conjunction junction for just one second. Yeah, So our producers found this thing and it's like hot goss and we need to clear it up. Okay, So when Holly Holiday makes that dig about Lindsay Lohan in.
Speaker 2: This episode, oh that's a Spanish class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Lindsay. Apparently Dina Lohan was very upset about the jab in this episode. I don't know that's true. Yeah, but and then there are reports that the cast made amends with Lindsay over a dinner.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a dinner. We did hang out with her. It was after the SAG Awards and we ran Everything Happens at the Chateau Chateau. Yes, I think that has to be what this is in reference to. I do think that line is mean and stupid and she didn't deserve it. But it was at that time, like everyone was just sort of ragging on Lindsay totally anything.
Speaker 1: I think it felt like anything went at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which which is terrible. But yeah, we she was We hung out with her, and I think she and like Chris like stayed friends for a while. They would teach to each other. Yeah, I believe so. And she was, Yeah, she was cool with us obviously, like she knows like that.
Speaker 1: Well, then she came on the show, so she was fine. I thought maybe there was a dinner with Ryan and Lindsay and that's where the lens for me.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But I just sort of assumed like maybe this is because we all hung out with her all night, like we were.
Speaker 1: Just Yeah, you guys, did where were you? I mean I was there. I didn't hang out with her.
Speaker 2: You didn't hang out with her?
Speaker 1: I mean I was there. I just didn't hang out with her.
Speaker 2: But like, why would you have been there not with us?
Speaker 1: I was. I just didn't hang out with her. I didn't engage.
Speaker 2: Did you? Did you have a beef with zy Line?
Speaker 1: Yeah? She did a photo shoot with my ex boyfriend at one point and it was very sexy and I was a fan of her and I was sure she was going to make a pass at him and neither of them cared. That's so funny, bar I shouldn't have blamed her.
Speaker 2: I should have blamed right. I completely forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Lindsay and I grew up in the same town, essentially on Long Island. We used to run in the same circles and audition like for all the same things. Yeah, we were around. We were we grew up like acting. I mean, I don't think I worked with her all that much, but anyway, Wow, yeah, crazy, I know.
Speaker 2: She was always I think because like we're around the same age ish like growing up in La too, Like I started like getting snuck into clubs at like sixteen and seventeen, and that all stopped when she got caught going into clubs under age because they started putting sheriffs outside all the clubs we'd go to.
Speaker 1: She ruined it for you. Yeah, yep, okay, we digress. But anyway, so yes, Ceilia Green's.
Speaker 2: Song, which also, by the way, sorry we watched the episode. We know what happens. Do you remember at this Grammys We're gonna have to have Gwenathan and then talk her through this. Yeah, but she introduced us to Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is where the infamous who told me that with Nia in the bathroom with me, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because she performed with Celo. Then she and Beyonce were each other's dates at the Grammys and sat in the front row. We were in like the sixth or seventh row, and Diana were like, next commercial break, you and I are gonna make a run for it, and we weren't going to tell any of you guys because like, we can't have everybody joining us.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 2: Well, because it was just gonna be too many people to coordinate, you know. Fair whatever, and I was like, it's Beyonce, I gotta go, and so we go, yes, and then some of you did see us and then came up and join us. But she's like, oh, do you know b and introduces us and Beyonce stands and it's just like very quiet and smiling, and Gwenna's like, are we gonna go do shots after this?
Speaker 1: Very god?
Speaker 2: And she looks at Beyonce and is like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Beyonce is also kind of short, like she looks her statures, I mean, even bigger than.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're the same height, but she wears heels all the time.
Speaker 1: I just imagined her being twice my height. Well she is, in all fairness. But when we went to the bath yeah, this is the infamous Nia story. You went to the bathroom and I was pinning up my dress because you remember, my dress started to on face and she's putting up my dress and she's like you're in a movie, mustn't And she's like, Nia's like no, I don't think. So Nia is literally on the floor at this point, like fixing my dress and she's like no. She's like are you sure, And I was like yeah, yeah, told me that.
Speaker 3: And we both walked down the bathroom. We were like, did she turned to somebody? She turned to like a random person that was at the sink and goes, do you tell me that? And my sister is in the bathroom with you guys. I was the I don't know where the other boys were.
Speaker 2: It was only me. We were at an after party. And I come out of the bathroom and I'm sitting there and there's nobody around, and I look up and it's just Jay Z and his bodyguard. And I immediately just looked down in my lap, like, oh my god, oh my We had met him before through Gwyneth, but anyway, right, So then my sister comes out. She goes, oh my god, do you know what just happened?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: I was with Gwyneth Paltrow and Beyonce and they're fixing somebody's stress. And then Beyonce asked me for mints, because I was taking out these mints and I was giving my sister a shit all night for having these mints because I think they were making her breath worse, and because she kept eating them because she was so nervous. And then Beyonce asked for mince, and my sister's like you can have all of them, which I would have said to.
Speaker 1: God, it was great, what a what a great memory one Grammy experience. Ever, no, that's not true. We went to the Grammys after that?
Speaker 2: No we didn't.
Speaker 1: Yes, we did.
Speaker 2: I did well.
Speaker 1: We didn't go for Glee. Why do we not go?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do I have the memories of Happy?
Speaker 2: Are you sure, Jenna? We only go to the Grammys and were nominated?
Speaker 1: That's fair?
Speaker 2: So okay, Holly Holliday is obviously killing it with all of us. We love it, we love.
Speaker 1: Her, Sue loves her.
Speaker 2: Sue's having a grand old time, gay old time with Holly Holiday, and Rachel is like, hey, shu, like this girl's coming for your job. You need to come back because you're not gonna have a job to come back to, and so he starts to get paranoid, rightfully so, because Sue fires him and hires Holly full time, which brings them to a full confrontation, and Holly's like, look, there's not a lot of good jobs out there, and I need the job. In the meantime, what Holly has done has also won over Rachel a bit, because she's like, yo, you suck. You're a total drag. Has anyone ever told you that? And Buck's like I have, and Rachel realizes there was an uptempo number that she's always wanted to do that. I love all these you know, whips to shoe, trying to find another Journey song that we haven't done yet. And then they do this big Chicago number which was insane and grazing. Do you remember watching that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, yeah, I remember being happy. I was in the audience the same, not really remembering watching them, but then also being like, oh my god, they really made both of these girls work really hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then also like budget, are we talking about the sparks flying off on?
Speaker 1: I know, I mean for Gwyneth, you bring budget? Okay, yeah, obviously, I mean Gwyneth was the budget, but also you bring budget.
Speaker 2: I always did wonder like how much the guest stars got paid.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it varied, probably, I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: We have Will be that information, never especially not give her the entire budget.
Speaker 1: But meanwhile, while while Will is home and Holly is taking basically taking care of the glee club, he is being taken care of by one and only Terry Schuster. And as crazy as Terry is. She knows Will, and she brings some soup. She rubs his chest with the vapors. The baby voice just it makes me very uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I hate it. I hate it because it's so good.
Speaker 1: Right, So at something, Will's like, get out of here, don't come back, But she comes back.
Speaker 2: Oh share of him in many ways.
Speaker 1: She also gives him Singing in the Rain to watch, which leads us to his little fever dream of this wonderful number, very random, wonderful number between him and Harry, which okay, let's talk about this number.
Speaker 2: It's so random and out of place.
Speaker 1: But great, very exciting to watch. First of all, this number starts and I'm like, oh right, this is the Singing and the Rain number from this episode. I remember this. And then I looked to my the left of the screen and I go, is that Tina, And I'm like, that's not me, that's a crew girl. Okay, it's Tina.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember you being a part of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wish I did, because I don't remember being.
Speaker 2: Well you didn't have like a lot comparatively.
Speaker 1: Yes, But I genuinely looked at the screen and said, is that Tina.
Speaker 2: I mean there's been a few times I've done that since we've been doing this podcast.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair, this is the first one where I was alarmed at the fact that I don't remember being there.
Speaker 2: It's a very scary. It's imagine if you're out at a night and you have a little too much to drink, and then someone shows you a photo from that night a decade later, and you're like, I wasn't there. I left at the first bar.
Speaker 1: That's what it feels like about the fun of the alcohol. Yeah, and you're like, wait a second, and then I see you, and I see all the other like, okay, other people are there. Okay, Yeah I was there. Okay, I don't remember being there.
Speaker 2: But if we didn't have to like do anything, we really sort of checked out.
Speaker 1: I don't think we were in a lot actually, to be fair, I don't think we were in a lot of the shots. So I don't think we're actually even on the stage.
Speaker 2: We weren't. Yeah, we were making sure, yeah, cool, you're fine, Okay, cool.
Speaker 1: Where were we? Okay? So he's doing singing in the rain and then him and Terry. Terry comes back is taking care of him again, and somehow they end up canodling and one word for it. I was like, no, don't do it.
Speaker 2: This is the start of the vapor rub.
Speaker 1: Gosh, it's the beginning and the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Terry's vapor rub walked so your vapor rub could run.
Speaker 1: I'm not quite sure why she was there or why that happened, but it gave something for Will, let's give it. It moved Will's thing along, his whole little sick storyline along. And then Rachel come, yes, and Rachel comes and she says, you got to come back. She had a mask, which also is very COVID PTSD.
Speaker 2: But I also, you know what happened shortly after too, is that we get we're going to talk about the Mercedes and thoughts, but you know, Mercedes gets in trouble for doing something now that Holly's the full time teacher, and Holly's like, oh, I don't know how to do this. Actually I've accepted this job. I don't know how to do it, and then goes over to Schuster's house and has this really great scene. They're really great together, and she's upset and she's vulnerable and opening up having a really adult, meaningful conversation. Terry shows up today is like ooh, drama, and Will kicks her out seemingly for good, for good.
Speaker 1: For good, right, and your wife is a bitch? Yeah, yes, I think seemingly this is.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, it seems like that. So the other thing that's happening this episode is Kurt Blaine and Mercedes. Kurt is you know, becoming closer with Blaine, spending every waking second with him. Basically, they have all these plans, and the person who is getting the brunt of the dereliction basically a friendship, is Mercedes, because Kurt now sees Blaine sort of as his new BFF in a way, and Mercedes is like put out the pasture. Basically, she's like, well what about me?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And she keeps trying to make plans and she's like not excited for him. And meanwhile we see that she loves the Tater Tots and.
Speaker 1: I was wondering why the tots came in that scene. I was like, why are they using Mercedes and food right now? Like what is this this thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But then I was like, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So Sue decides as part of her you know, principal campaign, reforming the school was reforming the children's diets and taking away the tots, and Mercedes is not happy about it, loses it. I mean they get taken away. She's upset. She goes on a She's basically the third wheel on that date with Kurt and Blaine, and Kurt's trying to include her and she is ordering the tots, and Kurt, you know, tries to set her up with somebody, and Mercedes like, is it just because he's black? Like everything you're naming is just black activities. He's one of five black people at this school. And Kurt sort of kind and Kurt you know, gives it to her straight and it's like, I think you're replacing me.
Speaker 1: With the food, right and or something? Yes, And because she brings a box of tots to Scores.
Speaker 2: She brings I do love when she stands up in the cafeteria and does that. I don't know the movie it's from. It's like Sally Field with the Union sign. It's very that and everybody stands up and screams tis Chris is shocked by the I just love seeing them together.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then Mercedes stuffs Suit's car exhaust with tots her let car.
Speaker 1: And Holly Holliday is brought in, and I'm not only sure why Shoe or Holly Holiday are brought in with the child. It's as if like glee Club is the like the mecca, and like we have like a guidance counsel.
Speaker 2: That's a fair point, do you know what I mean? Accepted it?
Speaker 1: But why because we need a voice of reason against Sue because kids can't talk back to adults.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Mercedes can't talk back to Sue where she'll just get expelled.
Speaker 2: Teacher is sort of our voice.
Speaker 1: But I just thought that was funny. There's always like one of them in there, and Holliday. This is where Holly realizes that this is kind of out of her capacity and she just doesn't she doesn't know actually know what she's doing. And when in serious moments like this, she's tank, got no bold, I don't know, take got no bulb?
Speaker 2: Sorry, that was an old joke where used.
Speaker 1: To It's a very old joke. You brought right back.
Speaker 2: So Mercedes is going to get stuck with the bill, the thirteen thousand dollars bill or whatever of fixing this car, and Holly is like, is this on me? Am? I going to jail? And then that's when she shows up at place and it's like, right out of my depth, I don't know how to do this. And then it's also when Sue realizes Holly is not a capable teacher in this way. Great as a substitute, but we need Shoe back as well. So everybody wants to Shoe back, and because she likes a good foe and Holly's not a good enough vote for her at all. Right, that's right, and I yeah, does it ever fully get resolved? I think they just sort of.
Speaker 1: Just I think that she has to repair it, and that's basically it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But then we get to all roads lead to this pool of water on the auditorium stage.
Speaker 1: Right, and so yeah, Will realizes that when he's back that they could the kids actually do really miss holiday and they really love them. So he's like, okay, can you help me make up this this number and modernize singing in the ring because we all hate it and I remember the Okay, first of all, the the umbrellas were an issue. These umbrellas were not meant to be opened and closed every two.
Speaker 2: Seconds, and everything was an issue with this number.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, all right, let's just say it. Some people really love this number, and I will say watching it, I was like, this looks really cool.
Speaker 2: It looks great filming it. Nightmare never hated anything more.
Speaker 1: Actually, so what they did, okay, what the box say? Okay, So there was like a foot a box on the stage and it was about a foot high, I mean maybe maybe not even on each side, like it was very short and loaded the ground. And then it was covered in like some kind of vinyl or something. And then they put water in it.
Speaker 2: And carpet like according to it because now we've talked to Andrew and Ryan about this, right, I think there was sort of a carpet in there so we wouldn't slip.
Speaker 1: That's right. They did put the carpet in there, that's right. And I remember rehearsing this, and I don't think we rehearsed with the actually umbrellas. So first of all, there's a problem there because these umbrellas were not prop dance umbrellas that were meant to open and close a thousand times, and in the choreography you can't really tell we are opening and closing them a thousand times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or so crediting happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like the least of our problems. Though. This water on the stage did not belong.
Speaker 2: It did not belong, and we didn't even know. That's just from our perspective. We didn't even know all the other stuff was going on that Ryan and Andrew told us about in their episodes, so you can go back and listen to those if you haven't right. But because one of them, Andrew said there was an issue with the carpet, and then Ryan wanted it all cleaned out because it got all moldy from the water being in there too long. It was we had clear right and didn't want to put us at risk, but then there were SuDS in there from cleaning the carpet, so they yes.
Speaker 1: Right. And the water, so basically what they told us was kick up as much water as you can get in the air so that when we shoot forty eight frames is when they shoot in double time, so it looks really slow in the water, like slow motion. And they told us to kick it so people are really getting in there and it's getting in our faces. And by the end of the number one take of the number, our rain boots had water up at our shins. Just you'd take your shoe off and pour the water out, and it was so I couldn't see. I remember acting to see and then being scared I was going to get hit by an umbrella and it was Ryan gretting. So you don't like, don't want to complain. Yeah, and you were loaded the ground, Jenna, you were also in the corner.
Speaker 2: If you go watch this number, I don't move. After I do my little jaz thing, I come forward and then I'm as far back in that right corner as possible because yeah, I couldn't see. I was wearing glasses and actually need them. Oh and I was at waste level, So everyone's intentionally kicking water up to the height of my face. And because I'm sitting, it's all collecting in my lap. And that water might have been warm when it got put in the box, and by the time it's sitting there and it's getting kicked up and exposed to the air, it's no longer warm. And the seat, my clothes, everything was just soaking, like stopping wet. And I just sat in there for what I mean, half a day. I was so miserable. I'm not even like dancing you. I'm barely on the edge of frame, like in three shots. I think I was trying to find myself because all I remember is the feeling. But I'm barely even in the number, and I think I had just given up, like I was like, I have no will to perform. I can't do it. You couldn't see my eyes anyway, so I think I might have just been like moving my arms just because like what am I gonna do? Also, it was really hard to wheel across like the water locked carpet, and so no one could really push me around because everyone had a prop. So oh my god, that's right. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: People do love that number, and every time someone says it, I have to check myself, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blocked it out? Really cool.
Speaker 2: It's also weird that like Holly and Will are performing with the gleek clip.
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't know, but who can have a Gwyneth number at the end? But I did see. I remember looking at the stage on in the episode last night when I was watching it and thinking like, oh, you wouldn't really know how they did that, And I was like, Okay, I get how people really like that looks really cool.
Speaker 2: The rain's coming down in the back like it.
Speaker 1: Looks Remember that part, but it didn't even matter. It was really not fun.
Speaker 2: No, But I mean the people who actually the crew members who actually to figure out how to do it and did it and then to drain it and redo.
Speaker 1: Like I'm also, Gwyneth didn't complain for once. Second.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. Gwyneth never complained about anything. I mean, I don't know how much you're being paid, so maybe I wouldn't either. But yeah, Gwyneth. Also, you know, we were constantly learning when we have guest stars and you have these famous people, and watching her was an education because she did not complain. If she was off camera, she would do full out everything, every dance move, like in that Chicago number when they were doing our reactions, she still did that heart wheel at the end of it. Yeah, she had her heels on, she did the whole thing.
Speaker 1: She did do it for us.
Speaker 2: She was and that was a real lesson and this is how you are professional pro Yeah, I remember, We'll get to it later. But like when she did turning tables in another episode, that was also an education, like, oh, she's good, but.
Speaker 1: I forgot she did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remind me when we get to it to tell that story.
Speaker 3: But she.
Speaker 2: The best.
Speaker 1: It wasn't it was a journey this episode. I liked this episode though, Yeah, yeah, well I really enjoyed.
Speaker 2: It minus said lendsay Alwan jokes. I thought it was a really good episode for sure.
Speaker 1: Well that's that's a substitute. Should we do some tarty takes.
Speaker 2: Let's do some tarty takes.
Speaker 1: Come on, so cringe moments? Okay, aw cheese? What do you think, Kevin?
Speaker 2: I have two it's the Lindsay Lowen references. And I think also Holly Holidays bipolar rant thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, not great. While while her Mary Todd Lincoln impression was very funny, the joke itself about the bipolar was not funny. Yeah, all of her montages that were very funny or her like little classroom moments. Uh.
Speaker 2: Best dance, I mean singing in the rain, I guess has to be.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I gotta say Harry and Annett, oh yeah, doing all those crazy backflips, they really did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, Okay, you win.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I always do best song.
Speaker 2: Forget you. Yeah, And I do have to say, you know this happened in the last episode with you singing during the girls mashup. Naya is singing her face off in his ad libs and is not covered for a single one of them, not for a moment. No, but on tour, the live version, you get to see her singing it and singing it live, and she sounds incredible.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, I forgot about that too. Yeah. Best performance by a prop I think the tots, absolutely the tots. Not the water bucket that we are dancing in. No, no, no, no. Best line.
Speaker 2: My favorite line is when Mercedes is at Breadsticks with curtain Blaine. This here gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay. I hope my mouth and little purse balls out. How did that get in there?
Speaker 1: I love that. Obsessed with that, It's very funny. I have another one. Yes, when Will says when I'm sick, there's only one thing that makes me feel better, and already says, and it's really the delivery.
Speaker 2: It was so random, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: It was very funny. It's very very funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were some good one ers in this episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, should we should we look at the talk?
Speaker 2: Yes, here's what's happening on TikTok Are you ready, Jenta?
Speaker 1: No? Oh wow? Bring in all the old school I know inside jokes back. Sorry, I'm not ready, but I'm ready go.
Speaker 2: For Okay, So on TikTok, someone named Sammy was was I don't know two s's At the end, Okay, they do a scene from Glee and it's these two boys and cheerleading outfits. Yes, and one's playing Santana the Summer Surgery fight and they're on the football field stop and they act out the number I mean the scene and it's really cute and great. Are you watching it?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm watching.
Speaker 2: That's great. Like all the athletes in the background and they're in their little cheerleading uniforms. I think it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: This is really funny, very cute, very cute.
Speaker 2: Wow, thanks for making that video. And it's it's great. It's really cute and yeah, and some of the comments are like the one guy is really like looks like Quinn and like Quinn's voice fits him, and I agree, they look like they could be related.
Speaker 1: The great work, great work, really great work.
Speaker 2: Big fan.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for that talk and thanks for listening. That was the substitute. We hope you'll come back next week to.
Speaker 2: Bert oh Fort. Do you remember or anything from Furt?
Speaker 1: I think this is when they get married.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yes, oh my gosh, wait Jenna. It's also when you, guys, you're a vegetarian or prescatarian up until furt Kevin, what.
Speaker 1: A memory and then he wasn't anymore.
Speaker 2: We had spicy chicken sandwiches from Mendy's.
Speaker 1: That was my first meal back. What a meal?
Speaker 2: Oh, what a meal? Okay, so fert we're gonna be talking spicy fried chicken sandwiches, marriage, Bruno Mars and oh in tequila shots.
Speaker 1: Oh okay yeah, get rid right, all right, come back next week.
Speaker 2: That's what you really missed. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.