Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Home, y'all, this is this week. Okay, hello Andrew.
Speaker 2: Your low energy, we welcome home, new episode.
Speaker 3: All right, so, uh Max is back unfrozen and we are all here to welcome you home. Tip would you also like to give it a high energy? Said?
Speaker 1: Welcome home, guys, welcome home.
Speaker 3: Rasp it. I'm getting over to flu still. I'm sorry you said you not make fun of my shortcomings and my faults. I started printing a document. Hopefully you guys can't hear that in the microphone. You can doll up now you cannot hear anyway. So I'm welcoming you home. To this week's mini pod. We are talking about health and commitments in the new year. Andrew made a revelatory reveal that was very duplicitous and not what I meant to say, But he shared on our last podcast that he has a change of heart about resolutions. I want to hear all about it, and I want to tell you about the ones that I made some by course, so I want to hear I want.
Speaker 2: To hear no I didn't know when you were in La and we were talking about and I actually it came to me as we were sitting there talking about, like why don't I make these things anymore? And it dawn on me like I'm not making resolutions anymore because I end up disappointed at myself for not having accomplished something, and it feels like it has the reverse effect of what it should. And truth, I don't know if you've heard. I'm not going to give a total shout out, but but but my theme for the year is an adaptation on this book that I completed called.
Speaker 4: The Way Is Through.
Speaker 2: And what that means for me, rather than resolution, is that when it pops on my mind to and I've done this three times now, they're all happened to be relatives, my brother, my sister, and my uncle.
Speaker 4: But it's to start with text messages.
Speaker 2: But I didn't wait for them to be the ones to reach out and wish me well in the new year, which anybody on my phone knows. I am not initiating any sexes because I hate the phone. And I did and it led to some really good conversation. It almost immediately, and each one went to a phone call because I hate texting, and the conversations were so full. Even if it was just light, it was it was the manner that I needed at the time.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 2: I am getting back on the wagon. I guess you would say to if not a complete set of ten resolutions, certainly to try and to put some intentionality with how I am am supposed to be trying to experience each day of these next three sixty five.
Speaker 3: I love that super soul. Andrew tiff we were talking a lot about isolation in the last podcast too, and I wonder if you have had any thoughts about what your real authentic connection, which is something else we said together at the same time on the last podcast, what does authentic connection look like for you this year, especially as we challenge that isolation mentality that I think has really been thrown a thrust upon us and we've kind of just adapted. So what does that look like for you in this steam? You know, I'm still.
Speaker 1: Working on getting deeper connected to myself. I've talked a lot with people about lessons we learned, and we tend to say things like, you know, this really awful thing happened to me, but here's the lesson I took from it, or this really terrible person hurt my feelings deeply, but here's what I took from it. And I have to say I'm abandoning that way of thinking. I whatever lessons the universe has for me going forward, I would like it to be painless. I would like it to be joyful, you know, because there good love can teach you lessons. Friendship that times can teach you lessons. And I just think I've had enough of the challenging times. And the thing is, it's never really behind you, right like we have I have. You know, I'm the child of one surviving parent. My mother is with me, and you know, watching our parents get older and it's like, oh, you're gonna need more help and more responsibility. My brother's a truck driver. I worry about it all the time. And so you know, life is going to deliver you challenge and struggle. But I want to be so deeply connected with myself that I'm prepared for whatever that struggle is. And I want to open my heart, my hands, my life, and my spirit to lessons that can make me a better person and teach me the things I need to know. And a soft, kind, loving joyful, delicate way, no more pain Like I have had my fill with emotional pain. It is time for joy. And I dare say I feel that way about my co host too, Like we've had this tough lessons, Like I want for all of us to have some loving lessons going into this next.
Speaker 2: Week, Tiff, Can I just say something before Angela shares hers? And that is a long time ago, No, not too terribly long, but a couple of years ago you and I had reconnected on the phone, and one of the things I was saying, because I feel you on this whole, Oh, what I took from that is and it's like, who taught us that lesson?
Speaker 4: And why can't we.
Speaker 2: Throw off the yoke of every horrible, miserable, decent, kind, or frankly non mentionable thing that's ever happened? It was supposed to stand in this magnanimous place of gratitude for having taught us a lesson. And I think one of the things that I share with you that may have helped at the time, and it could have also been, like I love that for you when I'm still pressing, was releasing yourself from acting with an outcome in mind, because I've immediately stepped off of this terrible expectations game of like everything when if I make the choice to do it, this thing better be out of ten. Instead, it's like, if I make the choice to do it, I've made that choice for nobody else, for no other reason, for nothing other than the fact that it was in my pleasure to do it, and therefore what comes from it comes from it because it's in my allowing it to happen is with That's the moment, that's where we meet it. And I just I'm with you on not wanting to have to have to go through the worst thing ever, the most unmentionable thing ever for me to have a deeper appreciation for or the intimacy of our conversations, or the intimacy of our time together, or however that time gets, you know, chosen for any any one of the three of us. But you know, it doesn't have to be a start and to stop like, oh that experience was that experience. No, we are living, breeding, human evolving, and we've been that way for thousands of years. There aren't supposed to be these starts and stops. Hopefully it's a rolling ball and we're just building on the layers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, speaking of the layers, mine are much more shallow. I don't even know if i'll say shallow, but I will say maybe you're safer in the shallow or the I feel like I might be safer because this is just about basic you're in the maybe not that this is about basic livelihood. So you all know that we've been dealing quite a bit with issues related to my mom's health. Last year she was diagnosed twenty three diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer, and it appears that that cancer has returned to her liver and which is which is considered a spread, and it has been so heart reching. But the thing that has warmed me the most is my mom's fight. And what it reminded me of is there was a point in time where I felt like I had a better balance, which is I think part of what we're talking about today between you know, my spiritual growth and the way that I tapped in there and my physical health, because the reality of it is, I'm not gonna be here to do any deep breaths if I'm not taking care of my physical health. So there was a time where I just completely let go of working out or anything. So now and I want I'm gonna put I want to put these pictures up, but I took my before pictures. My godsister has a gym called spoon Feed Training. They're doing a thirty one day challenge. I am doing this challenge. I look crazy in these before pictures. I am hoping for an amazing after picture. I weigh one hundred and fifty four pounds. I'm saying this for accountability. It's more than I've ever weighed in my life. I one hundred and fifty four pounds. Well, we pack at different, honey, we're our heights are different.
Speaker 1: We would if I were taller, and that wouldn't be bad.
Speaker 3: I don't know. My cellular analysis, which I also encourage people to get. I'm serious because it measures each of your your body parts. It tells you how much of your body is fat, how much spoletal mass you have. It's not just a BMI. It's a cellular analysis that breaks down each part. It is amazing, and I'm gonna do one of these cellular analysis analysis every week. I'm going to I've been doing cardio, I've been working out. I'm like I am hell bent on getting this done? Now? Why am I sharing all this because this week I weigh one fifty four and I have started the challenge. Last week it was one fifty one. So I'm trying to see what's going on. Some got to run off, and so there's that. I wanted to share the other things that.
Speaker 2: Question about that ANGELA, Sure, how can we support you?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: What does support asking?
Speaker 2: If I work out today?
Speaker 3: I want to be working out every single day, and I've been doing. My home gym is set up. I have been in it. It is actually fun to me. I've been bumping Kendrick as you know, like it has been. It's been. It's actually been enjoyable, and so I'm grateful for that because it's also been a point of connection for my mom and I to talk about working out. I've been going to the gym with my gods sisters with her. I need to be held accountable around getting my mammogram done. I am two years late. I'm just being super honest about that. I have a colonoscopy scheduled. They said I don't need one till I'm fifty. I'm not buying it. People are getting colon cancer at younger ages. I'm getting my colonosco be done this year. And then finally I wanted to share this with you all too, because I think it's very important given the amount of stress we're carrying as we go towards an inauguration that many of us don't really want to see stress levels. I went to the cardiologist in New York. It's the one Leonard goes to. It's a tremendous gentleman by the name of doctor Puma, a sword medical. He is amazing. I got a full cardiogram done. I got late a vein mapping done in my leg. I have a Verico's vein in my right leg. I need to be wearing compression socks. This is serious every single day. I'm just saying, I'm telling you this because these are things that we normally would just br I know that my legs well on the plane, but I didn't know that the water retention is because of a lack of blood flow in my legs and if it stifles enough, it can cause cardiac arrest. I am pre hypertensive my blood pressure. I was telling him. He was like, wee, you're blood perser. I was like, oh, its high stimes. I stressed. He was like, Okay, let's take it every day. I am high blood pressure every single day, every single day that I take my blood pressure. So I'm telling you this because on the surface, people may look at me and say you're small, it doesn't matter your way like all of these things. But I knew I was unhealthy, and I've been focusing more on not fitting my clothes. The truth is, holistically, I am not as healthy. This was a long PSA to say, you guys, please go to the doctor. Please get these no matter what they tell you about. If something isn't time yet, it's too soon for you, you're too young. If something feels off in your body, you know your body more than anybody else. Check on those things. So my New Year's resolution is to stay on top of my health, not for vanity, but because the deep breasts that I enjoy in a meditative state. I want to continue to be able to take. And my mom in the condition that she's in right now, still in the fight of her life, it hurts for her to take a deep breath in her liver. Do you understand. So while we have the privilege and the ability to breathe, let us take advantage of the fact that we can move our limbs. Everybody among us can move all of their limbs with ease. Everybody among us doesn't have ten fingers, ten toed. Let's take full advantage of what God has given us and make sure that we are in the best health of our lives. That's my resolution problem.
Speaker 1: I love all of that, and I hope our viewers take note of that as well. I think that's such sound advice, particularly.
Speaker 3: For people of color, black people in particular, and the predisposed it challenges that we have with our health in this country. I would offer Angela that I would discourage you from watching the scale and encourage you.
Speaker 1: To watch the inches because muscles way more than fat.
Speaker 2: So even that.
Speaker 1: You know, and I know you've talked about changes. You want to see your body for a long time, and I think the main thing is you're trying to be healthy. But I just say that you look amazing. Your body looks amazing. I know you want to be healthy, and I look forward to seeing the journey with you.
Speaker 2: So I've been thinking, Tiffany about how the people who are on the opposite end of our phones, who are not getting responses and text messages and it's just loading up. How we not communicate a lack of care toward them, Because I'll tell you the folks, I love folks a million times deep, right, and when I see and we're in share come, it's just it's amazing by and large. But I also know that you know, I've had friends said, look, I had told myself this was going to be the last time I called you, and the next time we spoke was gonna be whenever you decided. I was thinking, you know, that actually isn't what I wanted to communicate to.
Speaker 4: You at all. And I'm so sorry that you know that's true.
Speaker 2: And then ahead of the friends who were like, bruh, it's life, and I know that you know when we're going through, we're going through. Just I just want you to know that I'm still thinking about you, right, So there's different people would bring different energies. But I'm just wondering because because I'm I'm probably still at the bad end of this spectrum. Is not even funny. And I know how you are with yours as well. How do you deal with that or is that a concern for you?
Speaker 3: The care pab be honest, it sounds very selfish. But typically I have so much shit on my mind and my heart. I don't have space for other people's stuff, you know, I just I don't. And me not being on top of my phone is really a radical act of self care because I will tell you guys, I go to the brink of I'm about to lose my fing mind, you know, Like there are things that are happening. Sometimes it's like I got this big.
Speaker 1: Ass tax bill that I have to I gotta figure out how I'm gonna come up with seventy thousand dollars that you know, I don't know. Or I'm having this pain and I can't figure it out more. Somebody came along and hurt my feelings and I'm in the you know, deep thing about that. Or I had a big argument with my mom and that's weighing on my mind. It could be any of those things. It could be all of those things, and I'm just full. I don't have space to think, Oh, I didn't call you back, you know. And typically people who I'm who will take it that way. Who I'm not calling back. We're not that close, you know. Angela is saying, like, you know I call you don't answer, But the truth is yes. But but the truth is with Angela, if we weren't, like if I knew it could, I could go months without seeing Angela, I would feel some a different sense of obligation, like oh fuck. But the truth is we're in the chat where I know we're gonna talk probably a hundred times, and I will say.
Speaker 3: Call me back in that chat, which as soon as she says something.
Speaker 1: And usually and typically when I read that, I wake up and read that chat like it's the New York Times. So I'm reading that chat at like five point thirty six in the morning. I'm responding to stuff everybody looked at yes.
Speaker 3: Like are you up? You know? Damn well, I do too.
Speaker 1: But it also lets me know what's going on with you, you know, like I you called me the other day. I don't remember when, but I remember like my heart sank when I saw your call. I don't know why, but I just felt like, oh, I you know, I wonder if something happened with your mom or something. I think I was in Puerto Rico or something. I don't know, but I remember, and I've looked in the chat and it was all fine. But I do remember thinking oh, I know, I was on the freaking runway. I was on the runway. I could not answer my call. I was stuck on the road. I literally couldn't even answer to say hello. And I just had this anks and I'm like, oh, she's calling.
Speaker 2: I know what time.
Speaker 1: It was, was like sick something in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 3: Anyway, when those things happen, though, Andrew, my point is I'm too full. I want you guys to know, and I hope you know this, and I'm not trying to speak for your friends and family, but I am going to say this generally, it is absolutely more than okay to take the space you need. I do want you to know that everybody calling isn't calling to extract something from you. Sometimes people are calling, Natasha Brown called me yesterday, like to just make sure they are good, to make sure that everything is all right with you. You're on my heart and I want to make sure you're straight. And I have to punch nobody in a te sometimes I'm calling for that. So like when you guys are real heavy on my heart, i'd be like, you good, you know, I just want to make sure and I'll pray. I'll still pray, but I still want to know from you, like I hear your voice. You're good and tip we should talk about the tax bill because there are methods. Oh my god, you know I got another one too. I'm so stressed about all stress we call Randy. Yeah, well we talk about that, but yeah, I know Randy before. But the stresses of life Andrew, like you know how that they get heavier growing up as bs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the heavier in you because of the load of the one you used to be able to dark tan off. You know in a few seconds. It's now the thing when it comes. This thing has been rounding that block for a minute, and when it gets you, it's going to level you. And it's one I mean, I know we talk sometimes in the show about like, you know, I'm done with social media that kind of thing. It so isn't that I'm not curious about what's happening in folks lives. It's sort of what you hinted at, tear Fat being at this level of because my care for people generally who who I care and it could be a year since I spoken to them, but I want them to be well and I do want to wish them well on important events and days, except that it got to a place in twenty twenty where it was it started to feel like I was in those spaces to again perform for whoever is on the receiving end of the like of the comment of the this. And then when people would tell me, I saw you liked my dada dada da, it added more and more and more. I said yes, like you know what, it's not my pleasure. And if there is something that you know that I stumble upon, or if I feel like I have free time, I want to open it. I ain't seeing Damn, I what is it called? If if X in four year five you four years don't Facebook ain't even on my phone? Right, it doesn't even exist on my phone? And it isn't that What I miss about it is I missed a little curious like you know, Davis got baptized yesterday, and like I want to sell I'd celebrate that if I knew that. I just didn't know it, and I realized that it didn't cost me anything being a you know, aside from that those moments of like, oh I wish I'd known that I would have aside from that.
Speaker 4: It is like I don't want it. I don't seek it.
Speaker 2: God, you have somehow continued to push me toward a place where acting without expectation can be a good thing. If I'm not posting this picture because I want to see how many likes somebody to get or how many comments people are going to make, then godly, what pressure does that take off of a thing? Yeah, I don't want those anymore. I remember in the campaign, people are like.
Speaker 4: Oh, you got twenty thousand.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what you tweeted on my behalf. So I has about the twenty you know, you know the twenty thousand.
Speaker 3: We care about the twenty thousand, but we also care about the time of our production team, and so our time is up that one and quick, quick sick thing. I did this conversation at home too. Yes, I just want to say this quick thing.
Speaker 1: As you talked about your mom, and I just want to say I found do those those self exams. I found a lump in my breast. I had to get a biopsy. They inserted something in my breast.
Speaker 3: It still feels like a.
Speaker 1: Marble somewhere in there, but it's so doctors can track it and see and it was fine.
Speaker 3: It was fine.
Speaker 1: So make everything we're talking about today is for your physical and mental health and deal everything and spiritual help. Angel was talking about what she's going through with her mom, and it's just I want y'all to know if you can't fight this fight, if your body ain't right, if your mind ain't right. So I just when you were talking about that, I just wanted to tell people about my biopsy and go and get yourself checked out.
Speaker 4: Thanks for sharing that, yes so much.
Speaker 3: I just want you all to know we are still in community with you all. You all know we call Native Land Pod a pod for a reason. It is a safe space for accountability, for your resolutions, a safe space to talk about what other whatever fears you have, whether it's a tax problem, a legal problem you know you can't talk to God problem, an angry problem, you're getting a divorce, your spouse cheated on you, you don't like your baby daddy, you mad at your cousin, whatever it is. We could probably relate to one or nine of those, and so we are here, okay.
Speaker 4: Angel.
Speaker 2: Reparation is that we are indivisible. If it's happening here on my health, it's gonna show up in my attitude.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Here there We're not divided between fifty different.
Speaker 4: Tists and Andrews.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: We're indivisible, indivisible, everything is everything it is.
Speaker 3: And on this indivisible moment, we are out.
Speaker 4: Welcome home, y'all, Deuces, Welcome home.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.