Speaker 1: Scoop is back two days in a row for Scoop, Little Scoop. We'd like to call him and Fox Fox one little Scoop. Ken Rosenthal's here, KP. What do you got for us today, Little Scoop?
Speaker 2: Uh? Never heard him better? Never heard him better? You're muted? Ken, No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Oh, I couldn't hear you hear me A J I do Now that wasn't muted. So I have nothing for you.
Speaker 2: You have no Scoop, you have no scoop.
Speaker 1: A what do you, Dick Castianos? We have to ask you questions out and give us answers. That's not like you can at all. All right, all right, Speaking of the Padres and Nick Casianos, what does the Padres sale takeover mean for not only the Padres.
Speaker 2: But for for the rest of baseball.
Speaker 3: Well, it's supposed to become official on Monday, that's when the owners vote on it. And I'm not sure what it means for the operation of the team. Now, we did see them take on at the deadline with miz and Robbie Ray almost five million in salary, So it seems that to some extent the financial restrictions that the Baseball operation staff have been under for the last couple of years. With the ownership kind of in question, it seems they've been listed to some extent. Now, how far they go in the future, that is a question that we're probably not going to get the answer to, and it will only be told by the actions now. As for what it means for the sport, it's clearly a healthy number for a team that I don't know, ten years ago, before Peter Sidler bought them, was considered small market, not all that much of a factor in the sport. They transform themselves into a factor in the sport with the way they spent, and they made the team relevant. Not every move has worked out. We all know that they still don't want a World Series. We know that, but for years now they've been competitive. They been packing that ballpark and that is why, in part they commanded the value it did. Another part of it is it's a California franchise. There are a lot of wealthy people in California and there aren't many franchises available for sale. So from that perspective too, it's still a healthy number for a team like the Padres. And we saw the Yankees valued at ten million yesterday with the private equity investment, and I know what MLB people are thinking this morning with the Lakers sale coming out and the valuation being twelve point five billion, why can't we be like that? And that's kind of the whole driving force behind the salary cap argument for the owners, it would increase franchise values.
Speaker 2: Can do you.
Speaker 4: Think that there are some of these other small market teams that see this number? And I do you believe that we'll see some more teams potentially sell in the future, like the near future?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know about the near future, Kevin, because they want to see people buying the teams, whether the labor negotiations go toward a cap or toward a current system with revisions. So I would want answers to that if I was a person interested in buying a team now, once there is an agreement, and particularly if there is a cap, Yes, I believe a number of owners will get out and try to take advantage of the enhanced franchise values. But I still believe that a cap is going to be a difficult thing for the owners to achieve if they ever achieve it, And there are ways, as I've said, and written about many times before, to affect change in the economic system of the sport without imposing a cap and therefore allowing this renaissance to continue. The owners don't see it that way. They are cap or nothing, but there has to be in my view, some middle grounds.
Speaker 1: Ken Well, the putter has changed the way they do business at all now that the Seidler family is officially being getting out by selling the team, because that was one one of the great things about Peter Siler. He even though they're considered a small market, they get forty thousand plus fans a game. He was signing the stars, the people were coming out, they were making it seem like they're making money. I know they're saying they're losing money, but I feel like there's somehow, some way the team wouldn't Someone wouldn't come in and buy the team for this much if they were losing their butts every time they took the field.
Speaker 2: So will they change the way they do business?
Speaker 1: Meaning will Aj Preller be handcuffed and tied down and not be able to go out and do what he does.
Speaker 3: I don't know Aj that will ever see them operate the way they did under Peter Seiler. He was aggressive in a way that most owners considered too aggressive, and perhaps that is a fair assessment. They have some deals on their books now that are going to age badly. We know that. I do expect though that, as I said earlier, they'll be less restrained than they've been the last couple of years. So I don't know what that means for them going forward. They've got a lot of money on the books already, obviously, so it's going to be a delicate balance, I would say. But at the same time, generally speaking, when new ownership comes in, they want to make a splash. They want to show the fans that hey, we're here, We're serious, we want to be good owners, good stewards of the franchise. I would expect they're not going to go backwards in payroll.
Speaker 4: And speaking of another team that there's probably a lot of baseball fans out there wishing what sell the Angels. What do you make of the firing of Mike Maddox, and what do you make of the job that John Mazelex done, And do you give him a lot of credit for kind of getting Artie's attention and actually making some moves during the trade deadline and do you believe that they keep them long term.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of questions, but I'll try to answer. Sorry, and if I forget them, Kevin, you can remind me. I do believe he's going to stay long term. I do believe he did a good job at the deadline. And yes, it was a different direction for them. They have not sold in the past and they sold here and they seemingly did fairly well and it was impactful. So from that perspective, yeah, that's a healthy thing. And if John Mizelak has the confidence of Artie Moreno to make those kinds of moves, that's a healthy thing. They need someone with some gravitas running the ship. He from everything I've heard, wants to stay in the job. He hasn't actually said that, but all the people around baseball, his colleagues, think that he definitely wants it now. As for the pitching coach and the other two coaches that were fired Maddox, Dom Chidy and Darryl Scott, what Miszelac said is telling. He said they weren't using the technology available to them, and that's something that he's not going to tolerate, quite clearly, because he took their jobs away from them, and Miszaelac in the past has shown that if you don't do it the way he thinks you should be doing it, he is the boss. He may make a change. Mike Schilt remember Saint Louis Cardinals, they make the playoffs, had this amazing run to end the season, and he loses his job because him and Mizelocke were not on the same page. So this is a team clearly that needs a lot of help. They recognize that. That is kind of step one. Recognize the problem and then step two act on it. It seems that they are doing that. And obviously, when you change coaches after saying you wouldn't, something that resulted in friction happened. And that is what happened.
Speaker 5: Here science experiment for the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and pours some powder into my water, Shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 1: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free, Stevia free, Keto approve and taste sweet because of that fermented rice.
Speaker 5: It does taste really good. I'm drinking in right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quins dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i Ncee dot com slash fu l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quinn dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: I mean, I listen again. I love John Mosallic. I played for under him at the Cardinals. I know Mike Maddox I played for him under the Texas Rangers. They're both great.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I've known Dom Chidy for thirty years since I was in high school. Okay, what I.
Speaker 1: Find ironic is that John Mosallic isn't this one of the big things they had about him in Saint Louis was that he didn't use the technology and he didn't use all the analytics, and now he got rid of great. Uh jeez, Mike Maddics, not Greg Madics, Mike Maddics because he didn't use the technology.
Speaker 2: Isn't this kind of weird thing?
Speaker 3: Hey, j That wasn't the issue in Saint Louis. The issue was they kind of let the player development system. Oh Okay, wither Away and Katie Wu reported extensively on this at the time. For the athletic they didn't hire enough people. They were short. It wasn't an analytics based thing. Now, if you want to say in Mike, yeah, Mike Mannix's defense that they had some really good things happen with they're pitching this year. That is true, Deptbur's and Soriano the way they've pitched, Irana the way he is pitched. I watched Sammy and Natara last night close out the game against the Rangers pretty good. So I know from an ERA standpoint, they ranked twenty third or so, and they lead the league in walks. Okay, but they did have some good things happen. This was clearly as it was with shild years back, a philosophical difference, and that is why the move.
Speaker 4: Happened, staying in the division. Can what do you make of the Seattle Mariners? And you've been covering the game a long time, have you ever seen a bigger drop off from what cal Rawly did last year to what he's doing this season?
Speaker 3: Kevin, Off the top of my head, probably not, And certainly if I had time to think about it and took some time to think about it, I would imagine that if I calculated biggest drop offs since I've been covering the game, this would be one of the biggest. You don't go from sixty home runs to where he is right now. And he took accountability for it last night speaking to reporters in New York. He said, listen, I haven't been very good, but their team hasn't been very good, and it's so surprising to me. They were tied for ninth in runs last year. Now they are thirtieth. They are last with on their club Randy Rose, Arena, Julia Rodriguez, cal Raley, Josh Naylor, Cole Young is a pretty good player. Cole Emerson, of course, has struggled a little bit. JP Crawford. They have on this team a number of quality offensive players and it just isn't happening for them. I don't know the reason for that. It's kind of curious, and sometimes if your number one guy falls off, as Rally has, that can have this kind of effect.
Speaker 6: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's an awful lot to put on cal Raley. The other guys have not performed either, and it's a team wide thing.
Speaker 1: By the way, they did fire their third hitting coach Ken, just so you know that they should definitely get a huge difference huge They've done nothing but score ten runs every game since they did that.
Speaker 2: Ken. What about cal Rawley?
Speaker 1: I know we're going to get into this a little bit later, but cal Rawley came out instead of Dan Wilson or someone out coming out to answer the questions, it was cal Rawley. Do you does that mean anything to the Mariners team organization or was it just kind of something to do.
Speaker 3: Dan Wilson answers questions every night, so it's not like he's ducking them. But cal Raley is the best player on the team, or the most accomplished player I guess in certain ways on the team, and they're in New York last night, and there are more reporters in New York and there were probably more questions being asked. So he stood there, he answered the questions, and yeah, he took a broad approach in saying that the team is not performed and they've got to get it together and they've got to put yesterday behind them and go forward all of the things that you might expect him to say. So I don't see it as Dan Wilson shirking his responsibilities. Now, Dan Wilson might be held accountable for all this if they missed the playoffs, different story. But Raley was simply doing what often players do when they are considered the leaders of the team, kind of giving a team wide assessment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna transition to the Blue Jays because talking Mariners blue Jays, both teams, you know, went really deep in the postseason last year. Blue Jays have been playing better baseball recently. They've done a great job keeping themselves relevant and they're three and a half games back as we sit today. But as a Trey Ya Savage injury and the uncertainty coming back just too much for this team to overcome.
Speaker 3: It might be Kevin and they have played better. They've gotten an injection of talent from the young guys that they have. Brett Bateman, Charles McAdoo. Bateman came over, and the Gosspan trade has made an immediate impact. Kind of shocking to see it happen this quickly. And all that is good, but pitching injuries, rotation injuries have kind of been the story of their season, along with Lad's power outage and all of that. It might be difficult, yes, with You Savage going out for them to sustain it, but they have played better, and that race for the third American League wild card is sort of wide open. Pretty much every team is in it. So I don't rule them out because they are too good. They are a team that we saw last year what they could do when they are clicking, and they really haven't clicked offensively the same way. But the pitching thing, it's going to be tough to overcome. Now they have Cese who was good last night, Schureser Bieber, They're not bereft of starting pitching, but obviously You Savage was a big part of that mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the AA least is tough this year Ken because of the rays. The rays won't lose. They won eight in a row. Nick Martinez CG in Sacramento. Or it's impossible to pitch last night, right, he's thirty six years old.
Speaker 2: He's doing it.
Speaker 1: Have the Rays now officially put enough distance between themselves? I think it's six games now between them and the Yankees? Or we can say the Raiser probably going to win this division.
Speaker 3: Yes, we probably can say that, and the odds would indicate that six games on August twelfth is not inconsequential. It's also not insurmountable. We've seen teams blow leads of this nature Detroit Tigers last year, and it can happen. The Rays have been quite consistent. The only thing that perhaps can stop them is if they slow down a little bit. They've been playing some weaker competition lately, and then the Yankees get healthy and get hot. Can that happen? Absolutely, it can happen. But the Rays are for real. We've seen that, and last night Taylor Walls home runs from both sides of the plate. He's the one guy, the shortstop who hasn't hit. Actually, they've had a few guys who haven't hit, but they have the three big pillars in their offense. It's Ronda, it's Kemenero, and it's Yondi Diaz. Those three guys plus now Liam Hicks. It's an interesting Rays team for sure.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt. Can All right, this weekend, you're working? Which game are you working?
Speaker 3: And I'm working Dodgers at Brewers. I'm sorry, Brewers at Dodgers, Dodgers State.
Speaker 1: Thank God, Thank goodness for me that I am not in LA this weekend, because two weeks with you is enough ken for me. So if I would have had to go three weeks in a row, I would have had to think about calling in sick this weekend.
Speaker 2: So thank you. How worried are you about the Brewers and their injuries? Now?
Speaker 1: With Terang Joey Ortiz, they're starting to pile up a little bit here.
Speaker 3: Well, ij First of all, I always enjoy working with you. I'm sorry the feeling is not mutual. But anyway, the Brewers, Yeah, Pratt is on the injured list and they've got also Joey or Tis out right now, so it's a little bit of a concern than Terrang. Pat Murphy last night revealed he's been playing with the spring thumb. None of this is great, none of this is also devastating. So they've had an interesting week. They've moved Yellich and Contrasts down in the order, and the Padres have beaten them around a little bit the last couple of nights. Kyle Harrison wasn't very good last night. But against the Dodgers, it's going to be a measure a test for them, and it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. The Brewers have been the better team overall this year than the Dodgers. Right now, while the Dodgers aren't playing particularly great, they might be catching the Brewers at the right time because of these physical things that the Brewers are dealing with.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, Kenn, Why did you not get a Pope at on Saturday? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 3: Well, Aj, the Hats didn't do them much good last night, did they.
Speaker 1: I know, I cannot believe they lost last night. They had a four to nothing lead and I was thinking to myself. I was like, man, the number one lock in my life should have been the White Sox winning on Pope night, and then they blew it.
Speaker 2: I was like, don't thank goodness, but I still lost my luck. But anyways, Ken, I.
Speaker 3: Mean they won on a night. They did win on that night. They came from behind, but Pope night not great.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, Ken, that's that's sacrilegious of you to say, Ken, So I'm gonna not hold it against you.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, anyways.
Speaker 1: If you want to see if you want to see Ken this weekend, uh Dodgers Brewers, Brewers, Dodgers actually in Los Angeles. You can hear him and get more inside scoops from Ken on Fair Territory on Mondays and Thursdays with the Lonaizzo. MLB on Fox is streaming on Fox One. Follow every camp mismatchup as teams battle for a spot in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox one at Homer on the Go live or on demand. Never miss a moment. Stream now start your Fox one three day trial today at Fox one dot com.
Speaker 5: Let's talk Fabletics, shall we? They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about it?
Speaker 6: Krats, Well, I have it on right now and I'm all about quality.
Speaker 2: But you know what.
Speaker 6: You know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt, my son sole one of my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 5: And if it gets a little bit chillier, then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com, slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything at a new VIP.
Speaker 1: All right, let's welcome on Seattle Times. Be reporter for the Seattle Mariners that cannot seem to win a game, Ryan Davis. Check out his great articles in the Seattle Times. Hey, Ryan, looks like you're in a hotel. You must be in New York City. This ain't Montana. Even though your shirt says Montana Till I Die. New York City is a little bit different than Montana.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just kind of slightly. I mean, my hometown has got about seven thousand people. They're probably more than that in Central Park today when I was out walking around. So it is a little bit of a culture shock. I've been coming here for twenty years and it still gets to be a little overwhelming. You put me in the mountains, I'll find my way out. I can tell you which way is north. You put me in a city and I end up getting lost in Central Park and ending up in Harlem wandering around going where the hell am I? So it's always fun coming to New York, but it's just it's a little bit culture shock for me.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you know this or not, but the streets are numbered, so you can just count. I'm just just throwing that up.
Speaker 8: I have to wear my glasses and I can't be doing in public.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Question for you, is this season over for the Seattle Manners or do they have any fight left in them?
Speaker 8: It's certainly circling the drain.
Speaker 7: You guys were talking about the Rays, and you know, the Mariners just got swept by the Rays before coming here, and I was I've covered Bowl series, but absolutely impressed with how the Rays do everything, and the Mariners are just doing all the opposite things of that. They're not playing well, they're not hitting with runners in the scoring positions, they're not hitting for any power to make little mistakes in the field.
Speaker 8: And you know, their their middle relief is pretty bad.
Speaker 7: But really they just they can't put together a complete nine innings right now to save their lives. I mean, like you watch them play and it's just kind of like mind numbing to see what's going to go wrong. They take an early lead, they give it right back. There's no shutdown innings, you know, or they they have a close player. They need to make a play in the field. It doesn't necessarily have to be like a highlight reel play, but it needs to be a winning play. They aren't making it, you know, things like that. And like even last night when they gave up two runs early. They hit a ball Grisham, it's with Christian Wore maybe it's Hedges hits the ball, or well it's hits the ball into the triangle and right field. They don't make the play. You know, Taylor Word's playing too deep, doesn't get a read on it. Cul Young can't get back Julio is playing the other way. They came back. You know, the ball drops, it loads the bases again, another single on a ground ball through. So it's like all the things you need to do to be a winning team, they're just not doing it. And that you know, I have seen nothing that says they're going to come out of this. You know, this is trip is pretty brutal. It's New York all by three in Houston, all by three in Milwaukee. You know, you can get away with going four and five or even three and six if you win a couple against Houston. You know, if they if they go three and six but leaves two to Houston, I think that, you know, mathematically'd be pretty difficult.
Speaker 8: Even with the easiest their schedule is in September.
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't ease up after that.
Speaker 1: They go they play the Cubs at home and the Phillies at home, two teams that are really I mean, it must get reallyas in September because the end of August is a is a bastard to get through. Well, how much blame falls on Dan Wilson for this, And I'm not advocating for Dan Wilson to lose his job, So please don't don't confuse this at all. But when you're the manager and you're Jerry Depoto and you look at it and you say, man, we made this. We were two innings away from going to the first ever time to the World Series last year, and now this year we can't get out of our own way. How much of this, unfortunately falls on the manager.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you ask the fan base one, but it comes with the territory of the job. I don't think anybody believes that Alex Cora is a bad manager. But you know what, the Red Sox were just in a position where it wasn't working. Nothing was working. It didn't seem to be like anything he could do to make it better.
Speaker 8: So they moved on.
Speaker 7: And Rob Thompson had taken the Phillies to a ton of success, but it just wasn't working. You know, in any other scenario, I think the Mariners probably would have moved on from from the manager.
Speaker 8: I mean, you look at how they're playing.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think they have one of the worst records in baseball since July first. They're playing like three thirty three baseball. But I don't know, given who Dan Wilson is within the organization. I don't know that they're going to go down that road. I do think there is some lame on him in the sense that, like so much of what he's done about ceding power to the players and allowing the players to police themselves and kind of turning the clubhouse over the players, that's all well and good, but like when you're seeing these mistakes, the lack of focus or the lack of attention to detail, then that falls upon you to make some changes and take some of that power away and say, hey, look now, this isn't working. And you know what, we've given you the privilege, you've abused it, so we're going to take some of it back. And whether that's you know, calling out a player publicly or benching a player or doing something different, I think you have to look at that. So you know, it all falls on the manager because he's the one who's overseeing it all, and he's overseeing the player's police in the clubous, he's overseeing his assistant coaches and how they handle stuff, and then also some of the endgame decisions.
Speaker 8: They're just kind of curious.
Speaker 7: I know they rely heavily on data points, and which is funny because he was more of a managed by the gut guy last year, which is why we saw Bizardo in Game seven of the LCS, And this year he's kind of got regressed to the other side, and it feels like he's sticking very rigidly to some of the data points or some of the pregame planning that they have and not really adjusting with what he's seeing within the game.
Speaker 4: And no matter what offensive statistic you look at, the Mariner's rank near the bottom in it. My question is, with so many teams in the American League still being competitive, do you believe the Mariners missed an opportunity to potentially trade one of their starting pitchers in order to help this offense long term?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I think so, just because the value of this starting pitcher is probably never higher than it was going to be.
Speaker 8: You know, like George.
Speaker 7: Kirby, if you put them out there, there are a lot of teams that are very interested in George Kirby.
Speaker 8: I'm wondering though, you know, they went.
Speaker 7: And got Taylor Ward, who was one of the better bats available on the market as a rental, but I'm wondering what.
Speaker 8: The hitters market truly was.
Speaker 7: You know, in terms of who was available, maybe somebody that's got some club control moving forward. You know, there just wasn't a lot of teams selling. You know, like even like when Miami was dangling.
Speaker 8: Otto Lopez out there, You're like, okay, well, why are they doing that and what's what's it going to cost.
Speaker 7: I do think that they if they don't do it now, since they didn't do it at the trade that line, it's something they have to look at going into the off season before that, you know, before the expected lockout, make a trade, because you're gonna you saw have Kate Anderson there waiting to come up.
Speaker 8: You have five stars. Now he's Ryan Sloan. I mean, like, I think you do have.
Speaker 7: To look at that and say, okay, George Kirby Willing, is he somebody's gonna sign an extension? Is he's somebody they want to sign to an extension? If not, maybe you dangle him out there and see what you can get. I tell you, like the way hitting is right now, like Randy or Roserena couldn't have picked better walk her performance than he has because like the lack of right handed hitting and competent right handed hitting available and what it's going to be available on the market. Randy's gonna get a hundred million dollars, no doubt in my mind. And that's upped considerably to where he was when the Mariners acquired him a couple of years ago, and it was trending downward with the Rays.
Speaker 8: He's he's made himself some money this year.
Speaker 2: Dude. They did trade a starting pitcher.
Speaker 1: They traded Luis Castio to the White Sox, So thank you very much, I think thank you.
Speaker 7: I mean, honestly, like when when Jerry was able to trade Luis and they took on all that money and they even got money back on that, and they got a really good prospect, and they got some guys like I'm like, okay, this is you know, I was like, man, this is almost as impressive when he was able to trade Robinson Cano's contract a few years ago. So yeah, I mean, I don't think that was you know, it was tough seeing Castile go and he was a guy that really had a lot of a lot of presence in the clubhouse, in a calmbing presence, but you know, they had to make that move.
Speaker 8: It was just getting kind of counterproductive having six stars.
Speaker 5: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 1: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up.
Speaker 2: We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankee's red Sox? That means stuff.
Speaker 1: Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here and the as the penachases really heat up, go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 5: Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Seakeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: I know, I wish, I wish you would have had you on I don't think we did when they were doing the piggyback thing, because we all said it was a terrible idea, and they were Everyone was saying, Oh, they're so happy doing this, Like I know they're not happy. These guys want to pitch every fifth day. So I don't even want to get into that because it was so long ago. But anyways, I want to go to Caloraly what happened last night. Cal Rawly was the first one out, not Brian Wu finally pitched ball on the road, right, Not Dan Wilson.
Speaker 2: It was Cal Rawly.
Speaker 1: Was this just him trying to step up for the team and just put all the pressure on him and take it off the rest of the team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 7: I think Cal's very aware of what his performance is and how much he's struggling.
Speaker 8: And you know, I wrote on Monday.
Speaker 7: Just kind of about the prospects of firing Dan Wilson, how I didn't think it was going to happen based on who he was within the organization, that maybe they'd make a decision after the season.
Speaker 8: But yeah, Cal walked out there. We weren't expecting it. He still had his spikes on.
Speaker 7: I think he had just taken the tape off, but like he's sweating, and he just basically had struck out tend the game and went in, dropped his stuff off, and came out and told the PR person that he I'm going to go talk to these guys. And it's it's kind of an old school thing, you know, something he probably picked up from Deeger or Mitch Hannagher when he was when he was a rookie. They would do that at times, stand there and kind of wear it. Nelson Cruiz and did it a lot. And I think I think he wants to take some accountability for how he's playing, how this team's played, and maybe deflect a little bit of some of the pressure off the ban or his teammates, you know.
Speaker 8: And as he said, he's been awful.
Speaker 7: Like if cal Rawley is even a cal Rawley of twenty four where he's hitting thirty five bombs, you know, driving in ninety or whatever, they're not seven games or eight games under five hundred, they're right or probably above five hundred. I mean, like the production that you know so much was built around him, and he to be worse.
Speaker 8: That even his worst year is a huge issue for the team and I think he understands it. I think he's frustrated that he can't find his way out of it. And I think what you're seeing at times is he's trying too.
Speaker 7: Hard to find his way out of it because he knows that so much of the issues kind of stem from him and move outward. You know, whether that's fair or not, because there's been a lot of failures on his team, but like you know, he's kind of what makes them go. You know, last year they had some issues offensively, but when you have a guy that hit sixty bombs and drives in one forty, it covers.
Speaker 8: Up a lot of your warts. And that's what happened.
Speaker 7: Like when they needed a big hit, they're down too, he'd hit a three run homer. They're just not kidding that they're not getting anything from him, And I think he just felt like he better step up and say something.
Speaker 8: He's done this one other time this year.
Speaker 7: It was in Miami, I believe they were really scuffling, and he got up kind of just talked about it. But in that situation too, they had played unbelievably sloppy baseball and all the speed and the pressure that Miami puts on teams made them look just slow and kind of out of it, and they made a bunch of mental mistakes.
Speaker 8: So he kind of stepped forward and said, hey, we can't play like this.
Speaker 7: But this one was just basically him laying so much of the blame for everything that's gone wrong on himself and promising that he would do better. I mean, like, you weren't expecting it. I'm not surprised, but you weren't expecting it. But that's kind of who Cal is as a player and a person. You know, he's a coach's kid, and he understands and he knows how to read the room pretty well.
Speaker 4: All Right, last one for me, because you're speaking of, you know, taking the blame. I was, and I don't want to bring up a source subject. I was in the building game seven last year when George Springer hit that home run.
Speaker 2: Is part of.
Speaker 4: Cow struggles and this team struggles a hangover effect from that going deep into the postseason, losing in that dramatic way, and Cal specifically the amount of work he did last year in order for this team to get to that position, how many games he caught, never taking off day. Do you believe this is all catching up to not only Cal, but the Seattle Marinerds as well.
Speaker 7: I don't think you're wrong in thinking that, Like with Cal specifically, you know, he caught a ton last year and he always used the word the phrase motion is lotion, and that he felt less so the more he played that he accumulated a lot of games, a lot of it bats. Then you know, he didn't take a ton of time off this offseason because.
Speaker 8: He wanted to ramp up for the World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 7: He changed up, he started his training earlier, He started doing stuff earlier because he wanted to be ready for the World Baseball Classic. Obviously that didn't go as planned, you know, and I think he found out like how difficult it was to stay prepared during the WBC when you don't have hours upon hours of time at the park to do your routine because there's other teams playing. It's like a travel ball tournament where you go it's almost like a show and go every day. I think that was an issue and like he just and what happened was I think with all that the WBC and kind of the truncated schedule, he tried to cram everything that he missed into four or five days leading into the season, and I think that's what set him up a little bit for that oblique injury that held just kind of wore his body down so quickly trying to get ready for this season, trying to get everything back, you know. I talked with him right before the All Star break, and he talked about understanding that they can't make what happened, can't find the magic that they had last year, and just expected like everything that they did last year isn't just going to happen because a lot of the same guys are back this year. It's a different team, and you can't just fast forward to the postseason because you're good or because you believe you're.
Speaker 8: Better, you know.
Speaker 7: And I think that's what he realized, that it was even harder to get back to doing to where they were before, given you know, all they accomplished and all the expectations, and they talked about it, they talked about going the World Series, and what they found out is like you just can't.
Speaker 8: You can't start your season in the postseason.
Speaker 7: The games and April May, April May and June matter, and they started playing poorly. And I think it's just kind of snowballed on them, and they spent so long trying to get back and saying, Okay, we can do this. We've done this last year, and maybe it's got to be a different thinking because just because they did it last year doesn't mean they can do it this year.
Speaker 8: Aja.
Speaker 7: You remember when we were down in Atlanta, I think, and they were bad down there, Sal shubbed on and then Julio made a couple of ridiculous plays. The next day they scored eighteen after that, and then they want a heater. I don't know that the team is capable of doing that, and nothing we've seen it from them says they are. The talent is certainly there, but like to sit there and say, Okay, we did this last year, we got on a heater late, and we're able to get there. I don't think that's logical to say it now because it's a different team, a different makeup, and a different set of issues than they had a year ago.
Speaker 1: That's why making the playoffs is such a big deal ryan for teams, and that's why it's so hard to make the playoffs on baseball. We'll see what happens with the Mariners, though we know we're all rooting for him, and good thing they got rid of Bobby Maggie On that's just saying.
Speaker 2: It's such a mean spirited fellow. So thanks Ryan, don't
Speaker 1: Forget to Thanks guys, don't forget to check out more of his work at the Seattle Times.