Speaker 1: All right, well, I have to start off by saying apologies to Ohio, the whole state.
Speaker 2: The whole state.
Speaker 1: You're apologizing to Ohio. I have no idea why. Indy has has started a bit and this started like a year ago and he has continued it to this morning. He was singing about it that Ohio is the worst place on the on the planet Earth. What And I have no idea, Like as I can't. I've asked him so many times, like where does this come from. We drove through Ohio with him on our road trip and he kept the bit going the whole time and I was like, Indy, we're stopping, We're gonna we have a we had a great pic nick and he's no, it's awful here.
Speaker 3: So and part of me.
Speaker 1: Is like wants to like say, Indy, you gotta stop this. This is it, But then the other part of me finds it very funny. Yeah, it's like basically the equivalent of our Connecticut bit. And it doesn't make any sense. I think the only thing I could think of is he somewhere you know, you guys know slender Man and Last Siren Head. Okay, Well, somewhere along the way he decided that all monsters come from Ohio, like all of those guys come from Ohio. And when I was like, you know, first of all, those things aren't real, and the second of all, like, what does this have to do with this particular state?
Speaker 3: That doesn't make any sense?
Speaker 1: Now, it's just and he's never caved, He's never like, you're right, I'm just joking.
Speaker 3: He keeps the.
Speaker 4: Bit, keeps the going. He's committed.
Speaker 3: He's committed.
Speaker 1: So today he was saying that they wear wooden clothes in Ohio, wouldn't let the lastic couches that give you a rash, That there's a ninety percent chance of getting hit by a car in Ohio.
Speaker 5: Likes it sounds.
Speaker 6: Like he's making up these statistics as he goes along. This doesn't seem like this is Wikipedia or something.
Speaker 1: But then he says, did you know it's illegal to buy cornflakes on Sunday in Ohio?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: And he's like, look it up, look it up, and and sure enough, on one of these like wacky old timey law sites, it says it's illegal to buy cornflakes on Sunday in Columbus. I then continue, I'm like, this cannot be true, and I continue to look it up. It isn't true, but it is listed on a series of websites. So he's sharing and gaining information about Ohio with other kids and YouTube.
Speaker 3: I guess, like the other kids.
Speaker 4: Who are allowed searching the web.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I'm trying to get out of him. I'm like, when are you accent? And when he goes to his grandparents' house and I'm like, bo, wait, hold on, we have a no YouTube rule, and he's like, yeah, but this is safari And I'm like, that's the same thing that's your web browser to search for video, which yeah, So I don't know. Maybe this is an internet meme thing that I don't know about, like.
Speaker 5: The internet is. Because we were just in Ohio and it's lovely. Yes, this was the first time in my life.
Speaker 1: This year was the first time I've been to Ohio. I have now been to Ohio twice. I drove through on our road trip and then we just had an amazing.
Speaker 3: Show and it was awesome.
Speaker 6: So and we're going back in December. We're gonna be in Columbus, Ohio in December. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean also Skyline Chili is from Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Scinnati is WKRP in Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Also, Aglamsi's Brothers is some of the best ice cream I've ever had in my life is.
Speaker 5: From Cincinnati Brothers.
Speaker 4: Aglamsi's Brothers, and you can order it. I've sent it to sou before. You can order it and it ships. You can get six pints shipped in dry ice.
Speaker 5: Oh that's the one. They delivered it at the wrong time and it was just melted, massive nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lost it a curse. Maybe it.
Speaker 5: Was slender Man.
Speaker 3: Slender Man delivered it.
Speaker 5: Slender Man delivered it. That was the problem. Yeah, we opened Sue. It was the nicest gift Soe and.
Speaker 6: I love ice cream. Su especially loves ice cream. And Daniel's like, we have the best ice cream. We're sending it to you, and then we couldn't find it for days and ice cream is like not the kind of thing you want to lose for days at a time. No, And we finally it gets delivered to our porch and it was just even.
Speaker 4: Just it was ice cream. It was an ice cream pool, a mini ice cream pool.
Speaker 2: It was sad.
Speaker 5: It was because it was like she just wanted to eat it. She's like, do you think you think I can eat it?
Speaker 6: I'm like, I don't think the pool of nastiness on our front porch is something you should.
Speaker 5: Be eating, babe. Sorry, sorry, crazy.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate Indie's commitment to the bit, but I think you need to do a little bit more digging about where. I think you need to start tracking search histories.
Speaker 1: Well no, I mean I think now he knows that we're kind of disappointed in this spit, and we also find it funny, but we're also kind of like, maybe you shouldn't just trust everything on the internet or listen to your friends. I mean, we literally were driving through Ohio being like, Indy, what is wrong with And he won't he will never.
Speaker 3: Say like, oh it's a joke, Oh it's this. Thank he keeps it going.
Speaker 1: And so now, of course, because we keep laughing and saying when are you going to stop this?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's ever going to stop.
Speaker 4: For the rest of his life. The rest of his life, he's going to have a thing about Ohio. Kids.
Speaker 1: Man, he doesn't even know like that it's a state, you know, Like he'll be like, wait, wait is that a city.
Speaker 5: I'm like, no, no, whole state. Do you know who you're making exactly? And least know?
Speaker 4: Oh, Indy, Well, welcome to Pod meets not Ohio. I'm Danielle Fischel.
Speaker 5: I'm Right or Strong, and I'm will Fordell.
Speaker 4: Today we have a very special guest. In keeping with our parents of Boy meets World tradition, Will Fredell has somebody to introduce us to.
Speaker 6: I do all right, So here we go. So we're all doing our own intros. I'm back here in Connecticut.
Speaker 4: In your childhood bedroom, in my childhood.
Speaker 6: Bedroom, which makes it for RO ninety two sticker the craziest perh ninety two. Of course, I got all my stuff, So here we go. I'm going to try to get through this. Okay, as I once again sit here in my childhood bedroom in Connecticut, surrounded by the same posters, hats, and hockey sticks that have hung on my wall since I was a kid, I've racked my brain to come up with the perfect way to begin this introduction. I wanted to start with a quote about parents. I tried to channel my best right or Strong and search for something by Shakespeare or Chaucer. I looked for words from Nietzsche or maybe even whoever the hell David Hume is. Sorry, that's a Podmeats World Live joke, and if you'd like to hear more obscure Scottish philosopher jokes, go to Podmeats Worldshow dot com for all of our upcoming tour dates. At the end of the day, the quote that I thought summed it up better for me than any of the others was said by legendary basketball player Kobe Bryant, who said, quite simply, my parents are my backbone, still are. They're the only group that will support you if you score zero or you score forty. Thanks Kobe, and may you rest in peace. This was the perfect quote for me, because as amazing as you all are, dear listeners, I will never have fans that are more proud, dedicated, or supportive of me as my parents.
Speaker 5: The three of us all feel that way about our parents.
Speaker 6: We as listeners, loved hearing about how Jennifer Fishel would stay up until all hours of the night, crimping young Danielle's hair while running lines with her so she could walk onto the set the next morning ready to be that wonderfully weird and nurturing girl that was Topanga we were amazed when Lenny king Strong told us they didn't know where Ryder got his talent, then spent the next twenty minutes talking about all the movies that they would star in and shoot at redwood Shire, dressing up in funny costumes so their two young boys could run around the majestic Redwoods pretending to be heroes, villains, monsters or magicians. Well, now it's my turn, and thus we will learn the origin story of super fil Free, or more accurately, about the two people whose absolute and unwavering love helped to turn me into the man I am today. Unfortunately, my mother, Patricia's under the weather and won't be able to join us, but she did ask me to relay a message to all of you listening. Tell him I'm gorgeous and incredibly smart. She said it with the same dry witch she's always had. But she's right, she is gorgeous and incredibly smart. She went to Simmons College in Yukon undergrad and then Yukon Law, where, in a starting class of eighty one, she was one of only three women still left standing when by the end of the course half of the class had dropped out. She immediately went to work for the court and eventually rose to the rank of Executive Assistant to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, and was then promoted to Chief Administrative Officer for the Supreme and Appellate Courts in the state of Connecticut. When she finally retired, she wrote and published three historical fiction ya novels with her sister, my aunt Janette, about a circle of young friends who find themselves pivotal to the events around the birth of our nation, and did all this while raising three sons and a husband and being there for us whenever we needed her. So representing the Frudell parents today will be my father Gary. Though few call him that, most call him Attorney Fredell or Captain. I will say that he is the perfect person to represent my parents because of how much he loves people and loves to talk. When I asked him to do this, my mom said he would be wonderful. But she hopes we're doing forty episodes with him so he can tell all the stories that he wants to. Born in nineteen thirty nine in Flushing, New York, he spent his early years on Long Island, where Gary Fridell is only the second person I've ever met my life other than my beautiful wife, Susan, who.
Speaker 5: Absolutely loved high school.
Speaker 6: He was the class president, played soccer, and generally was the popular kid in college, first at Saint Lawrence, then at Colgate. He found his first found the first love of his life, the military, and joined the Army ROTC. When he transferred to Colgate, he was cruited by the Air Force and switched briefly to Air Force ROTC. After college, he was accepted at Yukon Law School, where he met the true love of his life, my mom, Patricia, and his military dreams were briefly put on hold while he finished law school, got married and started a private practice in New Britain, Connecticut. Once he'd established himself as a husband, father, and lawyer, the military once again came calling, and he was recruited by the Judge Advocate General or JAG Corps in the United States Navy Reserve. You know that show JAG where the guy's lawyer but also runs around flying planes, shooting guns and saving people. Yeah, my dad didn't do any of that, except for the saving people part that he did all the time. Legally speaking, of course, as a young boy, I spent many a weekend running around the submarine base at Groton, Connecticut, all the time marveling that people were saluting my father everywhere he walked. When I were to remark about how cool that was, he was always the first to remind me that they weren't saluting him but the rank. It was never about him but the country. He served during the First Golf War. He was sent to Italy to help with the legal aspects of the war, and eventually retired to captain the Navy after thirty years of service. The Navy, though, is the only thing he's retired from. As a matter of fact, twenty twenty four would be my parents' sixtieth wedding anniversary, as well as the sixtieth anniversary of him as a practicing.
Speaker 5: Lawyer at the age of eighty four.
Speaker 6: He still goes to work every day, seize his clients, and takes new cases.
Speaker 5: He is, to say the least, a tough act to follow.
Speaker 6: Like my mother, He's managed to walk and blaze an incredible trail all while being the best and most engage parents my brothers and I could ever have hoped for. I often tell people that I was blessed before I was ever born and all the rest is just a wonderful bonus with no insult intended to my mother. My father is, with no shadow of doubt, my biggest fan to this day. I can't go anywhere with him without him asking everyone who meets whether they've seen Boy Meets World, my date with the President's daughter, or if they listen to this podcast. Some call him Gary, most call him Attorney. I call him simply pop. So, dear listeners, with no further guilding of the lily, nor any more ado, I give you my father, Gary Furdell.
Speaker 5: Now I've got to text him, come up.
Speaker 4: Hello, How you doing, Captain?
Speaker 2: I am doing fine.
Speaker 4: Thank you, good to see you again.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you guys too, And will say you're coming to Connecticut next year. Be sure you're seeing all of you again.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we're excited to go back to Connecticut and see all the things. Will speak so highly of.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: It's an on, running, on running joke between these two here that Connecticut is Yes, now you've got to face the piper.
Speaker 4: Oh dare you?
Speaker 6: That Connecticut is a little backwards, and that we tend to ride ride horses and buggies and churn on and butter and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: That's true, stuck in the nineties.
Speaker 4: Well, I we did. We did say that there was once a breaking news report that there were four cows on the highway. Do you remember that, Will?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: And it was true, wasn't it. That was actually a breaking news report in Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Yes, four Connecticut.
Speaker 6: Yes, there were four cows loose on the highways, breaking news.
Speaker 5: Breaking news, it was.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because that's kind of unusual to have four cows on the highway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's usually only two. With four cows, you can use the express lane, which is nice.
Speaker 4: So I want to start with a very hard hitting question. Do people often call you Attorney Gary Friedel?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, the the very few people ever pronounced the name correctly, and it's stale mole because how do you get tell out of dlle right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: So yes's that happens more often than not.
Speaker 5: Well, half of our family are the Freedles.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean the family reunion in our Hey, I'm Bruce Friedel.
Speaker 4: Who what really if your family says it freed that's not a joke.
Speaker 2: No, that's true. The brothers divided on how to pronounce the name and when we had our first family reunion. I was twenty eight years old and was introduced to my cousin and I said, oh, Bruce Gary Fredell, Hey, Bruce Friedel, and I just kind of stared at him, and half of them pronounced the name Friedel and the other half.
Speaker 1: Is So you could have at that moment just decided to change the pronunciation, right. It made it easier for everybody, just gone.
Speaker 2: With, I don't like Freedel. Isn't that funny?
Speaker 1: You get hooked on your own. Yes, this is in my wife's family. They're the Burrettos, and there's a lot of Retto's in the world, but they all spell it differently, so sometimes it's two rs to teas, two rs and to Te's and it's a huge debate, like, and everyone's stuck on the way they spell it.
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 6: Yep, we're the Fredell's. They're the Freedoles in your family, in the same family.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 4: So, Captain, what was raising a young Wilfredell like? Was he always this naturally funny?
Speaker 2: Yes, truthfully, even from when he was very very young, he has the ability to make people laugh. And he was a very easy child to raise. Actually very well tempered, good demeanor. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you think maybe it's because at eleven years old he decided he was just going to wander the streets of New York.
Speaker 2: Oh that. Of course, we found it out later that he wasn't always accompanied as at the bus stop, I'm was supposed to, and he didn't tell us that because the arrangement was very clear. The bus driver watched him, he would get off the bush what was the name of that place, port authority, port authority, and the agent would meet him as he stepped off the bus. That was the plan, and it always go that way. I still don't know how the percentage of how it was.
Speaker 6: I would say it was it was probably seventy percent of the time he met me at the bus or somebody from the agency.
Speaker 5: Oh that's okay, yeah, And so this is.
Speaker 1: Your acting agent that you have that's in New York, right, correct? So how did you get that agent in the first place? How did you guys get Will into all of this?
Speaker 2: Actually he had a third grade teacher who had a contact at the Hartford stage and apparently said to the contact, Oh, this this cute little kid in my class, and if you're ever doing a play involving children, you might want to consider him. And then they were going to do Ibsen's a Dollhouse. And we got a call and I remember it because it was one of the weekends that I was supposed to go away with the Navy on a slow the flag cruise up the coast, and I said, no, we'll go to this thing. And we go and is what we now know, of course, was a cattle call. We walked in and there were eight million kids there and laughing and running around. He said, oh my god. Well he goes and he comes out, he says, oh, this was fun. We left and that was it. And it was the next day or a couple of days thereafter we had got a call that they had selected him as to be one of the three kids in the play, and of course we were dumbfounded and watched. Then he went into the auditions, and his mother and I went to the first night, were soaking wet as was sitting there watching and with sweat. He comes out as if he's sitting in our living room with Mary McDonald.
Speaker 6: Uh and David Aaron, Mary McDonald, Jerry Bamman. It was Mark Lamos was the artistic director, but actually acted in the play as well.
Speaker 3: Wow, it was one of those.
Speaker 6: And I still to this day have never seen the end because if I had to be home before, so I left halfway through the play and never got to see how it ended. It's ibsen, though I've always said, I'm sure it ended well and it was happy and it was wonderful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was That was it? And then how did how did we get from there to meet to finding the places in New York?
Speaker 2: He debug bit him, and he made it very clear, repeatedly, very clear, I want to go into acting. Sure, sure, honey, sure, And I placated him for some period of time, and as it turned out, he never gave up to his credit. And one of the guys working in my law firm, he was our billing clerk, I think, was an amateur thespian, and he said, I know an agent in New York if you're interested. Another client, slash Navy colleague, was a photographer, a Navy photographer. He did his first head shots. So I think it was August of nineteen eighty eight when we sent down the pictures and I said, okay, well I've sent everything down. There's nothing more. Dad can do at this point nothing. Six or seven months later, as normally I was in the office late, the phone rings and he says, mister Ferdell, yes, mister Goles Goal from New York. I drew a blank. He could tell it because like, who is this go start talent? Oh, yes, yes, we're looking at the headshots now and we really you know, we're interested. We'd like to see them. And I thought, oh, okay, we made arrangements to go down there. We walk in and there's a room that's tiny, little place run by the man and his son. Yep. So they come out and they get him and I hear laughing and everything else. The kid walks out. They say, a kid the sun was probably twenty twenty one years old, comes out and he says, we want them. And I said, oh my god. Now my immediate thought, I will tell you bluntly is okay. Now here it comes and I said, and what do you want is fees? Miss? Oh no, we don't have any fees. We work solely on commission. I should fine. We signed up. Within ninety days, he got a CBS commercial for kids. Then he went on to Skittles and Nico nickelode and then he was on this don't just sit there program and it just escalated from there. But he was I think he wore a pumpkin or something. In the third grader, you were just some kind of play and that's where the teacher.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I was the first. I was the first performance I did for third grade. It was the one that Indy did. We were both the scarecrow in Wizard of Oz. And then we did a play called Kids, which was a musical in the fourth grade. And that's when I realized I couldn't sing, so I dropped the singing part and was just acting from there. But yeah, it was. It was a whirlwind. It happened very quickly. And you guys, I mean you saw the Kids and Guns commercial, the first one I did.
Speaker 5: You saw my lean acting. You saw you stood out, a real natural nice I stood well, I stood crook it out. So yes, it was we saw where I was going right away with that lean acting.
Speaker 4: Well, I want to go back really briefly. You mentioned that you have three sons. One is involved investment banking, the other followed your footsteps into law. And then there's Will the consummate entertainer.
Speaker 2: Yes he did, and you're talking about Greg. Greg became a paralegal, but he's also a filmmaker. He made the film Fake that he wrote and directed and one awards for that, and then the next year he directed another film in Bridgeport, Connecticut that won first prize in the Manhattan Film Festival the following year.
Speaker 4: Well, where do you think their artistic side came from?
Speaker 5: Not from me, are you kidding? Of course, it's from you. It's from you and Pop.
Speaker 6: So my grandfather, Pop, he was the first person who ever did character.
Speaker 5: Voices for me.
Speaker 2: Oh, he would.
Speaker 6: He would put me into bed at night and he would do cartoon voices. And then my dad, who says he's not an entertainer, would stand up in front of a jury and he would entertain and you would. So everywhere we were, there's times he reminded me of Bill Daniels and that when Bill said to us, an entertainer entertains wherever they are. If you want to act, you act. That was my dad, and my dad would do it to embarrass us a lot of times. But so you know, I remember one time in the midd We're at an ice cream shop, you know, an ice cream shop in Massachusetts, and I'm probably seven or eight, and so my brothers are teenage years, the prime prime time to be embarrassed. And there's a whole group of young kids around, young girls around, and so my dad starts moonwalking through them while pointing at my brothers and be in the cool guy.
Speaker 5: I mean, that was my dad.
Speaker 6: So he says, he doesn't know where I got my entertainment, but I think you, had you gone a different route in your life, there's a very real possibility you could have been an entertainer.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean I do like I did enjoy court room work and acting before, you know, with jury presenting ideas and things like that.
Speaker 5: So maybe that's what I would say.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the things that we have tried to disagree about with Will about his own life. But I feel like you're the perfect person to answer this. I'm going to consider you the expert. Will claims no girls liked him before he became famous, and we just find that very hard to believe because he was always a very good looking, charismatic kid. Did Will have girlfriends before he became famous?
Speaker 2: Well, friends is not really he had. I don't think he dated a lot. He's often says that that I wasn't aware that they didn't like him, but he really didn't have a girlfriend per se.
Speaker 4: All Right, I mean, I guess you believe me yet, I mean I guess so. I did say I was going to consider your dad to be the expert.
Speaker 1: But were you ever now so once the agents were calling and signing up, were you ever worried about what the entertainment industry might might do to young Will?
Speaker 2: Yes? Extremely so. We yeah had a lot of misgivings. As a matter of fact, one of the things that we said when he started getting interested in it was Okay, you can go to New York one day a week. We are not going to become stage parents. My wife went down a few times with him and said every single afternoon this people would be there. They'd come in from Pennsylvania for the auditions with their kids, five days a week. We said, we're not going to do that. You can go once a week. Also, the most important thing is we told him the minute you stop liking this, quit, I don't care at what stage you are. Life is too sure. And with that in mind, we really did hold to it. With one interesting exception. I can remember. It was a show called True Blue and Christopher Mitcham, Bob Mitcham's son was starring in it, and they needed a kid of Will's age. And the phone rang. It was like a He'd already been to the city that week, and it was the second phone call. I said, mister gold, you know the rule. He said, Listen, they called. They really need somebody. I think he's got a real shot at getting this role. And it's an NBC national television program. Okay, Will, we're going to go to New York. Well, he actually starts crying, I'm tired, Daddy, I don't want to go to New York again. Okay, here's what we'll do. I'm going to put your blanket and the pillow in the back seat of the car and we will drive you to the city and you can sleep. Oh okay, So we do that. We get about twenty minutes outside of New York City and I say, will you better read the script? Now you have a looked at it. So it comes into the front seat, which, of course today you get arrested for doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. You climb from the back seat into the.
Speaker 2: Fuse literally paging through and I'm kind of glancing peripherally saying, oh my god. So he closes it. Did you learn your lines? I memorized everybody's lines, Dad, I said what he had. He had memorized the entire script that he read. So we go down for the interview. He gets it, and that was also interesting because he's a kid. We go on the set, it's like seven point thirty in the morning, and about seven o'clock at night, they come to us and say, oh, an hour or so, we're going to get to you. And I said, no, you're not. You've already violated New York state law. You are holding a child more than beyond the allowable time. We are leaving. You can't leave, I said, we are leaving. You have a choice. You can put us up at a hotel and we'll be back tomorrow, or we're going home. Well, of course, they put us up at a suite in the Mayflower. So the next and then we go back and one of the guys comes over and he says, wow, congratulation. Nobody ever does that. He said, they call these kids here all the time. You're the first parent that's ever spoken up.
Speaker 3: That's great. Good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then the same show he's supposed to roll off a cliff and be caught by somebody down eight or nine feet. Is that okay with you, mister Fradell, I said, absolutely not. That's what you have doubles for. So a double did it. But it was we had some interesting experiences. I mean, there's a big I remember this, the big, heavy, big guy. They sent over the big gun to say, you've got to stay here. I said, no, no, no, familiar with the law, We're not staying here. And that's scared of them enough so that we left. But this was just oh another time. I'm getting ready for a trial. It's like a two day afternoon and the phone rings. They want Will in Los Angeles on Thursday. I said, mister gold, I'm starting a trial. I don't know that I can do it. I said, let me get back to you. So I called the other lawyer explain to oh, god, that's great, Gary, go for it. So I get on the phone with a judge. Tell the judge, Oh, that's fantastic, Yeah, go ahead, we'll continue the trial. So the next day we're on the plane to Los Angeles and that I don't think that was the time you got it.
Speaker 6: No, that was the that was I think almost home. That was when we first met Jason. Remember the first time we met Jason. Because you got to meet Perry King from Riptide.
Speaker 3: Is because you auditioned for this role.
Speaker 5: Corraow.
Speaker 2: Course I couldn't help. But when I saw some of these people I recognized from television, I would want to talk to him. Dad, don't do that, you know. And I remember this the Riptide guy. I said, I so enjoyed your show, and he said, we started. He started telling us all about it. You know, the days were fourteen sixteen hours long and we but we really enjoyed it. I mean, all these people, Richard Pryor at the Big Boy in Burbank. Oh, don't say anything to him, Dad, mister Pryor, I just want to thank you for so many years of pleasure and entertainment. Oh, thank you so much. He got up and shook my hand. I mean another one. It's mister Daniels, mister Feenie, who was one of my favorites. He'd walk up to me, mister Fredell, it's so nice to see you again.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: Will reminds me so much of myself when I was his age. And I said, mister Daniels, thank you so much, You've done so much for my son, and you know. Then he would smile and we chat for five minutes and he turn and retreat to his dressing room. Yeah, there's been a lot of fun experiences. When you guys were doing a show, My wife and I would usually try to out for the opening show and the closing one.
Speaker 4: Okay, good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of them, if you remember, was a scene where you guys were sitting around at least Will was at the table and they were gambling something like that, and he was eating pretzels.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's the episode we just saw.
Speaker 4: We just watched it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they cut and a group of girls in the audience cried out, Will, we love how you chew? He heard it. He spits out the pretzels that he's chewing. His mother and I are hysterical. We're just seeing there, we love how you chew.
Speaker 4: From being a big old ugo who nobody liked as a kid to all of a sudden can't even choot pretzels without being fond over.
Speaker 6: He doesn't even mean who knows what that means?
Speaker 2: We love? I forgot about that. And then the one another one when the scene when he's sitting on the couch and his father, Rusty comes out. The first take is Eric, get your ass off the couch and go get a job. I said to my wife, Jacobs will never let that go. Second take, Eric, get your butt off the couch and go. I said to r He's not gonna like that either. Third take, Eric, get off that couch and go get a job. And that gave us getting back to one of your earlier questions. When we first met with Jacobs, he assured us you do not have to worry about anything that is going to take place on this set. And I have to admit everything we saw, I had more people come in and say to me, you know, we could sit there with our children, our daughters, our sons, seven eight nine year old kids that never have to worry about what we were going to see, which doesn't exist anymore. Yeah, and it's it was. It was a refreshing thing to watch a truly well done family show. But and I admit I would never prejudice at all. It was completely unbind.
Speaker 4: Of course, so as Will would start booking more and more jobs, were you looking at every single one of his contracts for him?
Speaker 2: Of course? Still does I still do? Yep, yes, we just put part I think it's called Middle Part Productions.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right. We've got our own little production company that.
Speaker 5: There still does. Look at everything that I do.
Speaker 6: I get again, when you've got a brother in finance and two parents that are lawyers, you are set up for a nice base when you're going into the acting industry, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Well Will also mentioned that you once called Michael Jacobs because you were concerned his role was going to be dwindling. What do you remember about that conversation and do you remember the circumstance? What what made you concerned?
Speaker 2: Okay, I I think I call the agent, not Jacobs. But yeah, if you guys remember the trio that came on in I think the second season. Yeah, I found them very interested and no in a good way, A feeling a bad feeling that they could very well eclipse somebody like the older brother in this series. And what I saw, we wait, I waited a while, was a couple times he was on camera for ten seconds for the whole thing, you know, zoom in for a family shot. So I called the agent, I said, what's going on here? I said, he was almost not on for most of this The last three shows and they looked into it. Whether I don't know what happened. Unfortunately, I had this feeling that he could overpower Will's a character. Yeah, but that didn't happen.
Speaker 6: This is again I did not hear about this until years later. Where I called the guy was like, you actually called my agent? Yes, because you did you know the episode? He told me that that was the final straw was It's the one where Corey's making the video and Eric finally it says like you know, I'm the I'm the guy for you and I'm I you know, he's being interviewed. He's later gals on the couch and that was the only I had like three lines in the episode.
Speaker 5: And that was the final straw for my dad.
Speaker 6: So from from not being a stage parent to picking up the phone and calling my agent like that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, certainly an interesting transition.
Speaker 2: Well there's one other one that that Will might remember, and this one still shakes me up. I was homesick and it was before well before boy the phone rings and it's the agent. There's an opening I think he can go on saved by the bill, which I said, what's saved by the bell. It's it's blah blah blah program, a national program. Yes, but I don't recommend it. Why and I don't I don't specifically recall his reason.
Speaker 5: Oh I do. It was the money.
Speaker 3: Money.
Speaker 5: It was that it was money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the money was so low that you got now again I did. I was not privy to any of this. The money was so low that it would actually have cost me money to.
Speaker 5: Live in La to do. It was paid by the Bell, the New Class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they weren't on a network, right, they were. They were like an independent studio. I just remember because they figured out some way that it was it was an after contract.
Speaker 3: It was not a sad contract. I think.
Speaker 1: Really there was a different unions and they somehow managed because it was like children's programing or.
Speaker 4: Something, Saturday morning program Saturday mornings.
Speaker 1: They paid so much less than like a network television show. But then they it was still a nationally aired show, so it was like you'd get the exposure. But yeah, there was not as much money. And say about the Bell, I remember that well.
Speaker 2: But what concerns me was saying no. And of course I said no without consulting him, and I'm thinking, wow, what if I'm wrong? But the agent had said, no, I really feel he's going to get something, and I thought memory serves me correctly. It's less than two months later when the call came for Boy and we flew out.
Speaker 6: I was pissed, though, when you finally told me, I was pissed because it was saved by the Bell the New Class. I was a saved by the Bell fan. You know obviously big James Vanderbeek guy always have been.
Speaker 4: Course, we love James Vanderbeek.
Speaker 6: Saved by the Bell and so he.
Speaker 5: When they finally told me and you, I remember you.
Speaker 6: I think probably wanted to keep it a secret for me, but you are very bad at keeping secrets, and you felt guilty. So you, you and Steve sat me down. My who's my agent? Sat me down and told me we turned down saved by the Bell the New Class, And I what it was.
Speaker 5: All I wanted to be was on a sitcom. I was a huge saved by the Bell fan. How could you do this? And then like two months later I got Boy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So wow?
Speaker 4: And had you been on Saved by the Bell the New Class, you wouldn't have been available for Boy Me's world. Just so, our dear listeners, understand that he would have been contractually obligated to save by the Bell the New Class, and you wouldn't have even been able to audition for Boy.
Speaker 5: Correct and the Bell.
Speaker 1: The New Class did not last long, right, that was I don't think two seasons, Max.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Saved by the Bell. The New Class only went a season or two.
Speaker 4: I think, I yeah, wow, Well, there's no doubt that was the right decision. But at the time, I can see why you would have been upset.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well it was scared because I said, what if I made the right decision, I'm talking about his career. This is a national program. But then again, this is what we had an agent for. And I do believe in listening to the professionals, you know, because what you have them for. Right, he felt very confident. I don't really feel you should accept this, But he wouldn't have if we said, yes, oh yeah, if you.
Speaker 3: Left it up to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: So we talked about your you know, fears that he was going to get written off the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, clearly that did not happen. In fact, the opposite happened.
Speaker 1: Will became sort of a show unto himself with enjoy Mitsworld What was that like for you to see as the show went on and his part get bigger and bigger, and you know, frankly, he got funnier too. As an actor, he got better and better. How was that for you?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, you all did the show. The show got better, You all got better if you watched from the viewpoint of an adult, and then particularly from a family member of one of you. Guys, We just watched as you all developed, and the show just got better and better and better. And yeah, I was very proud because I had, whether they mentioned or not, I can't tell you the number of clients I had come into my office and said, we watched that program because of your son, Funny And yeah, I mean you guys, I said a long time ago. And Will disagree with me. I said, you have created a cult. You wait and see. No, Dad, No, I'm telling you. The people who have come in and talked to me about it, did you. This is a cult in the making. And I think I've turned out to be right.
Speaker 4: It is you were, but a wonderful cult.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the good the good kind, the good kind. Yeah, good healthy family what.
Speaker 4: This healthy family cult? Exactly? So Will is living let's say Will gets the Boy meets World. He's living alone in Los Angeles, working on Friday nights. Were you all the Fredell family sitting down together to watch every episode?
Speaker 2: Of course? And even more than that, his mother would pick the phone up as soon as the episode would finish and call on them and say, honey, that was so great. And I said, you know, this is filmed weeks ago. I know, but she would religiously call him after every single episode.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is so nice.
Speaker 2: Will.
Speaker 4: Were you also watching in your apartment in La Do you watch it?
Speaker 5: That's the last time I saw again.
Speaker 6: I was never the guy to go to clubs or bars or any of that stuff.
Speaker 4: So far, no girlfriends, no girlfriends.
Speaker 5: A little later I had go around, okay, okay, watch it with my girlfriends. That's the five part. Sit there and you know, watch boys.
Speaker 6: So yes, I saw every episode when it aired, and that was the last time.
Speaker 4: And then you'd count down to the phone ringing, and you knew it'd be.
Speaker 6: Your mom and dad, My mom would my mom would be calling me right after the show was done.
Speaker 5: Yep, every week.
Speaker 4: So what did you guys think? When then he started a relationship with Jennifer Love Hewitt.
Speaker 2: We first of all, we didn't know too much about her because she was on this swa Party of five or something like that, which we never watched. We knew her name, but she seemed very nice. I mean she was I think seventeen and he was nineteen, and she couple times called during the week to speak to my wife, just to say hello and how a thing was going.
Speaker 6: He did, Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 5: I don't think I was like she was.
Speaker 2: Said. One time we started watching the program. We felt we had to, so we watched the program and one of the episodes, she's kissing another boy. Sold I said, love, you were kissing another boy on the screen. All mister Fredell said, that's just part of playing and the other acting or something like that. But she was, she was very nice.
Speaker 5: She was.
Speaker 2: She did come to stay around I think it was the holidays, and they stayed up the road. She had her mother and visited with us for about a week. But she was always, I have to say, very very pleasant, very sweet, very nice. She was.
Speaker 5: She was a very sweet girl.
Speaker 4: Yep, you guys are such a cute family. She came with her mom and they stayed up the street. You guys had the two families together for the holidays. Yes, it's so cute.
Speaker 6: Well, my parents had a very very strict rule in our house where unless you were married, you did not share a room. So even when my brother and sister in law were engaged, they were not allowed to share a room under right.
Speaker 4: Because you could just get engaged just to sleep in the same room.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 6: You know, of course, also assumed that the second the lights went out, everyone wasn't changing rooms.
Speaker 2: Which we found that they did.
Speaker 6: Of course, we found that they found that out later, but at the time we all stayed in our proper rooms.
Speaker 4: Do you think Will and Eric have any similarities?
Speaker 2: Certainly not intellectually. We'll tell you. I was bothered by the fact that they made him appear stupid with things like going to Yali and ridiculous things like that. That part I didn't want.
Speaker 5: I ad lived that. I just.
Speaker 2: Know that that part of his his character was inconsistent with the Will we knew. And of course as the show developed, you saw that it really wasn't the true Will that underneath and he was quite smart and he knew what was going on. So I think that too developed over the seventy years of the show. That that, but I do think that some of the stuff, of course, was comedic when he was supposedly campaigning for an office. And I still have said to him Eric for governor of California. I think he should run. I think he could win.
Speaker 4: What is your favorite project Will has done professionally.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I've never really thought of that. Of course, we liked By Date with the President's Daughter. Oh yeah, I wasn't crazy about Trojan War.
Speaker 3: Yeah, too many sex hijinks going on.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean other than the show. I mean, obviously our favorite was Boy Meus World. I mean that was, you know, an amazing performance by all of you guys. So it would be that and probably My Day.
Speaker 6: Okay, I can tell you for answering for my mom. Other than Boy, which is their number one, My mom loved h Double Hockey Stick, Yes, okay, he was a big fan of H Double Hockey Sticks with myself and Matti Lawrence, so she was a fan of that. My dad liked My Day with the President's Daughter.
Speaker 4: How did you guys feel when Will ended up stepping away from acting, you mean on camera from on camera acting?
Speaker 2: Well, we knew what the problem was, and we were supportive of that. I was, of course disappointed, hopeful that he would get over it, which he did and cut over it. Not over.
Speaker 5: You never really get over it. You learned, you learn the better ways to deal with it.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, that's one way of putting it.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's true though, because it still hits you. I mean I had a panic attack yesterday. They're they're always, of course there.
Speaker 5: It's in. It's in you usually forever.
Speaker 6: You just learn how to how to call it and different skills to get through it that I didn't have as a as a younger man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously I was disappointed because I felt he had a real future and in in the profession, and I was hoping that in time, somehow the problem would work itself out, which which it has. I mean, you said to me just the other day, you walk out of this and you haven't taken a pill in years, and that you love doing it. Yeah, and just watching you guys, all of you look so natural, so that, yeah, it was a bad I had that. I mean I had panic attacks that came out of nowhere in the nineties and it got so bad that I was fearful I got a major promotion in the Navy, and I was going to have to address a group of senior officers, including a handful of admirals, at a conference in Louisiana. And as it turned out, one of my clients was a psychiatrist who was injured in an automobile accident. And she came in for a conference and I said, look, I don't know how to deal with this. Oh, you don't have to worry about that, and she prescribed I believe it was called indo all and she said, you take one of these capsules an hour before you're going to do anything like that and you'll be fine. I did, and I was, and from that point on the problem went away if I took the medication. Eventually it just disappeared and I needed nothing. So I was well aware. I mean, these attacks are if you've ever had them, they are devastating. You're totally unable to function. But fortunately they usually they come and go rather quickly. It's not something that goes on for days, but it is totally incapacitating, so that in time it works itself out and it has well.
Speaker 6: Again dealing with it, dealing with it better than I ever have been is the best way to do it.
Speaker 5: But it's always there. I mean, that's just the way it works.
Speaker 6: But you had panic attacks, whereas a lot of people have the general anxiety, so it is something that is days weeks long.
Speaker 5: But you never had that, which is good.
Speaker 2: So for some reason, if I faced I mean, I went to a Navy drill in Newport one weekend and forgot the medication and had to deliver a lecture. And I had to sit down and deliver the lecture because I forgot the pill, which convinced me though that hey, you take the pill you find.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that worked for you, didn't that one didn't work.
Speaker 2: Out, and it didn't work for him, but it fortunately did for me. Right.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you. Will is, obviously, for writer and I one of our most favorite human beings on the planet. And there are so many incredible characteristics he has. But if I were to put you on the spot and ask you to say, what is your most favorite thing about Will?
Speaker 2: His kindness, Yeah, and his love. I've seen him do things that most people wouldn't do. For instance, since a woman, an old woman, attempting to get out of a car, he will go and open the door and help her out a guy for looking for a hnd out that a lot of people will walk through Stan and talk to him a little bit and give him money. He's one of the most charitable and kind men I've ever met. I don't think he has a bad bone in his body. I mean bone, and that to me is the most important thing, because that's what people need today to really make the world better. And that, to me is his strongest point is his humanity, his love for people. And I mean he's been a wonderful song. Really. Ah, he's sitting with sitting in his room now and he just told me, and this is you're the first to hear this. Well, Pop, next time I come home, I think I'll start taking my posters down. And I said, no, I don't want you to do that. He doesn't like. No, this is his room. Nobody sees it will the members of the family. But this is all the other rooms have been upredated, you know, with neutral colors and all this. Yeah, all this crap. That the real estate.
Speaker 1: He's still got the pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon poster exactly.
Speaker 2: This room is is his. And now I hope that he leaves it. Eventually we're going to leave here and it won't take it wouldn't take half a day to clear this place out, so hurry. So he's already said, of course.
Speaker 6: That of course that I'll keep I'll keep the room.
Speaker 5: I'll keep the room here. That's fine.
Speaker 4: It's like a time capsule.
Speaker 6: It is very time capsule.
Speaker 4: So final question for you, how does it feel to see will continue to be successful and live out the dream he had and created for himself as a child of being a professional entertainer in the entertainment industry.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. I have to tell you that that I marvel at it. Sometimes I say, this is just hard to believe, you know, and I he sent a note. Look at we're on the billboard in Times Square and you look up and you see your son on a billboard or you know all and of course the two of you when you look back nineteen ninety three, I've known both of you for thirty years. You wish just little kids. Yeah, when we're starting about the high voice voice, I remember Ben Savage had a squeaky little voice and by the end of the show was all the hell. You know, when you're all aged and it's been wonderful. Yeah, it's just really there's no reason for it to stop. You're I know this sounds corny, but you're filling a void. And you look at the people who go to your shows. They're genuinely enthusiastic and happy because you're bringing to them something that doesn't exist too much in this world anymore. It's become so callous and nasty, and you've brought back the sense of this program that you could sit with your family and never have to worry about what you are going to see because you don't steal, you don't lie to your parents, you don't cheat on your tests because mister Feenie's there and he's all going to watch out for you. So yeah, I think what you're doing is absolutely marvelous.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you very much, and thank you for your service not only in the Navy, but as a lawyer and most importantly as the parent to one of the most most beautiful human beings on the inside and the out. We just our lives have been completely altered by the work you did as his father, and of course to Patricia, his mother as well, So thank you both for who you are and for brightening our lives. Without even realizing it.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much, and we thank you guys for all the happiness and that you have brought to the family and to will.
Speaker 4: Well, we're going to invite ourselves to your home. Ye, when we are in Hartford, we're going to I'm taking the opportunity now to just say prepare a seat, will be there. I want to see the room in person.
Speaker 5: We'll be fine.
Speaker 6: As long as the three of us do not spend the night under the same roof because we are not married.
Speaker 4: We will get a place up the street. We will follow the rules exactly. Well, all right, thank you.
Speaker 2: Again, you thank you for having me on.
Speaker 7: Our love to Patricia.
Speaker 4: What a guy.
Speaker 5: He's a great guy.
Speaker 6: And he could just tell he will just tell stories. He loves telling the stories everywhere we go. You were at the lumber yard and he's talking to the guy about boy Mets World or the podcast or something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: I love the way that he, you know, was able to bring his lawyer legal expertise and protect you like that's such a clear you know, you know we now all of our parents had no clue about the entertainment industry, right it seems so terrifying.
Speaker 3: Get these head shots.
Speaker 1: And some agent comes in and says, I know everything. I'm going to take care of all of this. And you know, if you're so fortunate that you're dad did have one area where he was very comfortable.
Speaker 3: It was like, send me the contract.
Speaker 2: I'm going to look at this.
Speaker 1: I know when my kid's gonna get screwed over or not, or I'm going to defend him.
Speaker 3: That's so amazing, sood.
Speaker 6: It's I mean, again, I can't even count the number of times that he'd finds something in the contract that some other entertainment lawyer or somebody missed where it would change everything and like, oh, yeah, that's right, we got to take this out or do whatever.
Speaker 5: I mean, you look at every conject I've had since I was eleven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, when you think about it, I mean, it is the way it should be. Not every kid actor is as lucky, but in our case, no one has your best interest in mind the way your parents do. And so your dad having that you know, law expertise, is like absolutely, there will be no word skipped over. There will be no skimming at least on these contracts and other.
Speaker 1: Like amazing thing which is exactly like, I know my dad said a similar thing to me. But then also when he was on the podcast, is what your dad said about like when.
Speaker 3: You don't like this anymore, we can't be done.
Speaker 1: That is like, and that's to me, that's the difference between like the awful stage parent and the good stage parent, because the awful stage parent says, once you've made a commitment, we have to you know, this is good for us, You're making money, and it's like, hold on, this should all just be a bonus. Like the idea of being a kid actor is insane. It's a crazy thing and changes everybody's life. And to have boundaries and to say no, no, no, no, my career, my life, our family's life is still important.
Speaker 3: And if you're not having fun, if you're unhappy, we don't do this. That is like, I know, that's the essential ingredient.
Speaker 4: My mom My mom really taught me not to complain if I really didn't mean it, because the minute I would complain about something, my mom would go, should we be done, let's be done, Let's not do this anymore. If you don't want to do this anymore, if you don't want to go on auditions. I totally understand. It is a drain. It is exhausting, it is tiring. We're doing this for you. Are you saying you don't want to do this anymore? And be like, no, I really do. Okay, then then let's not complain. And so it really did you know.
Speaker 5: It's the same they had.
Speaker 6: They had that mentality coupled with the other thing I heard all the time was and writer, I think you and Danielle, we've all talked about this. My parents were constantly harping on me, have something you love equally as much to fall back on.
Speaker 5: I would hear that all the time.
Speaker 3: Be a well rounded person.
Speaker 1: Yeah this is awesome and this is extraordinary, but it's not defining you.
Speaker 3: There's so many other aspects to you.
Speaker 6: And well, I mean again, if you keep the analogy we always use of the entertainment industry as a child being like a roller coaster.
Speaker 5: A roller coaster ride stops.
Speaker 6: You don't ride a roller coaster forever, right, And yet somehow we found a way to stay on the ride.
Speaker 5: It's really rare and really weird.
Speaker 6: So it's a benefit to all of our parents that they were like, there's a really good chance this is temporary. A much better chance this is temporary than this is permanent. So let's figure out what else we want to do. And that's what made our parents our parents.
Speaker 4: Well. Thank you all for joining us us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails podmeets World Show at gmail dot com, and.
Speaker 5: We have merch Captain Merch.
Speaker 4: Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 5: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 6: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Ryder Strong executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com