Speaker 1: What is that? What's happening? Why does that sting?
Speaker 2: And now sometimes you can be like too much when I've been told that, like tone it down, like you you know at Baltimore can't come with you, which you mean that's what got me here. You know, evolution is beautiful, but like.
Speaker 1: I will never lose my cord. Thanks for watching, guys. Today's episode is brought to you by Boost Mobile.
Speaker 3: She grew up in West Baltimore with a mouth that had no filter. She bet on herself with nothing but a phone, a desk, and a rehab center for at risk kids, then went viral. Nick Cannon gave her her shot. Martin Lawrence put her in front of thirteen thousand people. She earned her seat on the Breakfast Club table. But none of that is why she wrote her first book. She wrote it for every cold parent who's had to show up for a person who repeatedly broke their heart because their child needed them to Comedian actress radio host now fulth and my girl Jesslaious in real life.
Speaker 2: And oh my god, it's an honor to be here just with the mess and her news is real all the time.
Speaker 1: Angie, Hi mama, how are you?
Speaker 3: How do you feel in that seat because I know you've been doing a lot of press. Yes, and I've been doing a lot of watching I r L. And I feel good to be here because girl, you don't just be sitting down talking to anybody.
Speaker 1: Oh you don't.
Speaker 2: So I love this. This is oh my gosh, royalty. So of course, yes, I feel good.
Speaker 3: You know you're a radio girl now too, Like for real? Has that said in for you all the way yet?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, because you're a comedian right first you're comedian and then you step right into this role with a vengeance. Like I'm just saying, they put you into like the Lions then the Lions Den, Yes, you're getting thrown in the water, shorty.
Speaker 1: People don't always understand that, yeah, because if somebody sees talent and potential, and you always had talent, people.
Speaker 3: Were, you had a following, you had a whole career before you hit the breakfast club, which we'll get into tonight. But that moment when you transition to something new, people just assume, oh, she's talented. Of course she could go do the breakfast club, or of course she could go.
Speaker 1: Do radio, or she could it.
Speaker 3: But people don't always understand that when it's happening in real time. It's tricky, it's hard, it's you. It's like you're uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: What was that like for you? That moment? Man? When I get there, Cause, like you said all the things.
Speaker 2: I already got my own brand already, you know, like I'm used to seeing whatever I want to say. I'm used to being unfiltered jests. You get in, you're a pond, yes, yes, and then you you are now and somebody else's pond where it's two other people, two other big fish you know, you know their dominant figures aufha. Everybody has their their own big energy. And now you're like, damn do I fall back? How do I fit in? Is everybody going to be susceptible to who I've been before I got here? Radio is so different because now I have to be censored. You know, I can't say the things that I want to say, or I gotta say.
Speaker 1: Them a different way.
Speaker 2: Learned it real quick, and I'm like, oh my god, that's why I want to do the part your podcast.
Speaker 1: And not the radio.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, I want to get real and shitn't want to say shit, bitch fuck. I want to say all of that stuff like that it's doing you know what I mean, and then getting up that early every day? Who angie, I'm still not I'm in my third year at the parksto. I'm still not used to What time do you get up in the morning? Three thirty, between three thirty and four?
Speaker 2: Come on, yes, because you got to make up? You got because not only radio is not what it used to be. You're not only heard anymore. Now you're seen and shit, and it's like, yo, I gotta look presentable. I'm not the makeup girly every day. I damn sure what in the edges girly?
Speaker 1: Every day?
Speaker 2: I just got edges, So I'm like, damn now I gotta do them too, like girl, It's a lot, but I am very thankful for the opportunity. And it's also taught me to think through things. I was always just so quick, like because improv I'm a comedian.
Speaker 1: We quick on our.
Speaker 2: Feet, you know, we clap back what I would even thinking sometimes. But that's what radio has taught me, Like especially doing radio on New York, Like it has taught me like you don't have to quickly respond to things, like think about it, and it's Okay, that's why you got two other co hosts to fill in the gaps.
Speaker 1: For you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And then we got Lauren and I love that dynamic as well. But I'm still getting used to whatever its balance is because I still am just hilarious outside of Breakfast Club for so many known for so many other things that I got to keep up as well.
Speaker 1: You still got to keep doing that too.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I just wonder for you because I would I from the outside could see you come in and go that's tough.
Speaker 1: Like I could see it. I could be like, that's tough. Number one, You're in it.
Speaker 3: You're jumping into something that was already existing, right, somebody else had already sat in that chair for since its inception, you know.
Speaker 1: And she yes, shout out to her.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I just want And there's sometimes those moments in women's lives and women's careers could feel you know, scary, lonely, vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Definitely, you know what I mean. And that's what it like. That's what it was after I came down from the high of actually getting the job, because you're like, yes, and I'm like, I'm going to do it every day before I get I'm like, every day, oh my god, I'm hiring videographers and things like that.
Speaker 1: They're putting together.
Speaker 2: Like all these dope visuals because I'm really trying to pitch myself for this third seat.
Speaker 1: And then I get it, and I'm like, I do this every day.
Speaker 2: Now I gotta do it, you know, Okay, four o'clock every day. Then damn okay, now I'm pregnant, Oh my god, and then this is oh wow.
Speaker 1: You know. So it was it felt very.
Speaker 2: It was challenging, but like there were times I did feel lonely alone. I felt like, all right, I need to take a class to get where right.
Speaker 1: There was no.
Speaker 3: Training I got through, and like, you know, I guess how to fit in at the radio or to how to do this radio job.
Speaker 2: It's like and then the biggest challenge for me off the rip. I could see it even when I was guest co hosting was interviews because I don't be knowing what the hell to asks these people. You know what I mean, you got Charlemagne that everybody got their own niche, you know what I mean, Like you got Charlomage.
Speaker 1: He gonna get real deep and gay, like he gonna get it like you know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, damn, you can't be therapeutic and gay, you know at the same time. You know, you got to meet people a certain place, and you got envy that always want to go from the beginning and always I want to ask you, how did you get into this? So I can't go that route because that's him, He's the beginning man.
Speaker 1: Then you got Laurie. Yes, Then you got Lauren.
Speaker 2: She she's gonna bang up in some scene from nineteen ninety two that these people nine times out of ten forgot and got scrubbed from the internet. But she gonna go in the back pocket and get it with her TMZ back. Don't having ass, you know. And then I'm there, like, how was your flight? What you're doing after this?
Speaker 1: What you like to eat?
Speaker 3: Girl?
Speaker 2: I don't be knowing what the hell to ask. I've gotten better, I feel like, but I'm like, damn, is there.
Speaker 1: A class that I got to take on? This like a good trick for you. Wish you would have called me. I don't help you. I would have helped you to be like, girl, I need to fight. I was like, all right, your option. I'm still trying to figure it out.
Speaker 2: You know what I found to be my Niche is right when things are because you know, you at the breakfast club, you're in a bit of a hot seat, especially if you've done something that went public viral, and you know, any type of controversy or whatever, they gonna bring it up. Even if you submit a list and say don't bring it up, that may them bring it up even quicker.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. I have learned to be the comedic.
Speaker 2: Relief in the room, like okay, now, I make people feel comfortable to be there when they think the total opposite because a lot of people that come there they know me is just with the mess, so they looking at me to be messing. I'm like, no, that's that boyhead nigga right there, like you're gonna do it. And then that's Lauren over there too because she's real journy loving and respected. But me, being a comedian, I make the people laugh. I make them feel comfortable. I make them feel like, okay, all right, this ain't so bad, all right, and then they leaning more to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, okay, this is to be my name saying just be who you are, Just be who you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that is always the answer to everything, Lord, every answer every question in life.
Speaker 1: It's like, get to the truth of who you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll help you answer that question, even in that little problem, right right, right.
Speaker 1: So when I asked them, how how is your flight?
Speaker 3: They feel good that the heat is now off for something that they did twenty years ago. Yeah, haven't you rely on comedy like you look at you look for the I don't know, the common thing that's.
Speaker 1: Funny in the moment. Absolutely, and you tap into that, which is why a you're good. You're good at what you do.
Speaker 2: And the fact that I'm a mom too, because we had we have no moms on the show. You know, Lauren, she wants to be a mom, you know, one day, but she's not Envy Charlemagne. They have wives who are moms or whatever, but they're not a mom. They can't directly speak to what's the mom of the bunch exactly? So I'm like, all right now, this is my niche too, the funny mom who's gonna love on you a cold make fun of you every now and then, But I'm a love on you too.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor hard Rock Bet. Being rebellious doesn't mean quitting your job and moving to an island. Sometimes being rebellious just means taking a few minutes to do exactly whatever it is you want to do. And that's where hard rock Bet comes in. Where you're inner rebel plays if you're in New Jersey or Michigan. The hard Rock Bet casino f has thousands of your favorite games from the casino floor, like slots, blackjack.
Speaker 1: Roulette, whatever you like. And here's what I really appreciate from hard rock Bet.
Speaker 3: There's no nonsense. When you sign up. What you see is what you get. If you don't win in your first twenty four hours. After signing up, you get up to one thousand dollars back and casino bonus to play again. Plus you get five hundred bonus spins for cash eruption with winnings paid in cash. Now, Florida, listen up. Hard Rock Bet isn't forgetting about you guys. If you like slots, they have something for you too. Check out games powered by Pass Motor Racing. It's not a social casino. These are real money games that are thrilling, fun and exciting, and you can play with as little as twenty cents, or you can try your luck at a bigger win all the way up to a million bucks.
Speaker 1: The best part again, there's no gimmicks.
Speaker 3: If you're a new customer in Florida, sign up and deposit ten dollars to get a one hundred dollars game bonus instantly.
Speaker 1: That's some extra fuel for your spins. So if you're ready to take some time for yourself today, download the hard Rock Bet app and make your first deposit. That's the hard Rock Bet Casino where your inner rebel.
Speaker 3: Plays games powered by a pass motor Racing payable in PMR game bonus not a cash offer offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. Must be twenty one and older and physically present in Florida to wager. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about your gambling, call or text one a three to three playwise Michigan and New Jersey offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. All rewards issued as non withdrawable site credits. Ten dollars plus deposit required for four hundred bonus spins for cash eruption only up to one thousand dollars back in casino bonus if player has net loss on slots after first twenty four hours. Casino bonus credit has a one time wager requirement. Must be twenty one or older and present in Michigan or New Jersey to play gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler. That must have been hard, though, because I know you had postpartum and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: So you're already in this new job that you got to get up three o'clock in the morning, that you're learning how to do interviews, you have a public controversy that happens that we'll get into a little bit later. Yes, all that stuff is going on, and then you're pregnant with postpartum and showing up for work.
Speaker 1: Well, when you get back to work, Yeah, that's hard. It was hard.
Speaker 2: It was breastfeeding. It was like the walls were closing in on me. And you don't know that you're facing or dealing with postpartum until you come out of it, like or at least that's how it was for me. I've heard other women describe it to be the same for them, but I didn't know what that looked like. I didn't have postpartum depression with my son, and I went through like one of what I would call the worst pregnancy of pregnancies of my life, pregnant with my son, because I know we'll get into that later, but like I planned me and my husband planned our daughter, and postpartum hit me. I think it was like so much I was trying to focus on.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I thought like I went through a period where I didn't think I was funny. I stopped writing comedy. I was doubting myself in every every area, you know, and there was nothing that my husband can do for me to make me feel better.
Speaker 1: And I did.
Speaker 2: I still was like postpartum depression. No, that's not me, because I didn't know how to identify it, you know.
Speaker 1: And then I don't even know, Like you just didn't expect it. I didn't expect it because I'm like, yo, everything is going good in my life.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm successful here, I'm successful there. I got businesses that I'm running. My all is coming together, Like, yeah, your husband, how could I be going through postpartum depression?
Speaker 1: Nah? Like you really, it doesn't matter what era you are in in your life.
Speaker 2: It's gonna hit you when it's gonna hit you. You know, it doesn't matter who you are, it's gonna hit you. And I didn't realize it until I came out. What does that feel like for somebody who hasn't experience it? For you, like, what is the low point? What is the moment where you're like fuck? You feel guilty all the time, like you can't do anything right for your child. I felt like because I wasn't because I was breastfeeding, I felt like out of nowhere, I wasn't making enough milk for her. So I felt like a failure as a mom. I felt like I wasn't a good wife. I felt like I started having a parental guilt with my son, like, oh my god, is he looking at me as a selfish parent? Because I wasn't able to give him the things that I can give his sister at at her age when he was that young. You know, Oh, I'm thinking even girl, And I would never in my life, but I was thinking even like damn is my son looking at me like damn, why couldn't she stay with my father?
Speaker 1: Why couldn't she have stayed with my dad? Oh, you're putting yourself through it?
Speaker 3: Girl?
Speaker 2: And I know, girl, if I could go back and look at myself going through that moment, like, girl, please, there's no way that she would ever even go back with Rome ever, like he got a baby daddy name Jerome, Like, no, why would you even do that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: But like I said, I thought, I thought Breakfast Club would trying to replace me, you know, with Lauren for sure, you know, like, and that was the big elephant in the room. And then I'm going through the comments and I'm not liking what I see, and you know, it's people who loved me. Then it was people who was like who wanted her to be on the show over me, And it was people who wanted me back. Then it was people that was like, well, like, none of them bring Angela back. I was like, shit, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It was so much comments will kill you, girl.
Speaker 3: They're ready to kill you in real life, just on a day, let alone, in the middle of postpartum. Those comments are going I can only I can't even imagine.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine. No, no, And then.
Speaker 2: In my mind I also was like thinking about what if this don't work, thenk you're a two time baby mama.
Speaker 1: Then then you got to write another book. You know, and I'm telling my husband these things.
Speaker 3: He's like, what the hell is wrong with you? What are you talking about? Like, no, I'm here, what's wrong? You know? Did you know did somebody identify like, hey, this might be postpartum?
Speaker 1: No, no, I was.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to go to the doctor because I didn't I didn't want to see a therapist.
Speaker 2: I didn't want the confirmation. Like I was scared for that to be the confirmation. Yeah, I'm like, nah, he's just move swings like nah, nah, I didn't want to. I was afraid of the the clarity that I would get the diagnosis. I'm like nah, no, but I'm just coming out of it, to be honest with you, it's been like a month and now, yeah, my daughter is about to be two August twentieth, she's about to be too, And I'm like, damn, I was in that shit for over a year.
Speaker 3: So you're just kind of you're kind of just assessing it now, like, ye, right, is the book the book probably helped you pull that up a little bit? No? No, no, so this is very recent that you're just in this new space.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even and I'm glad that she brought up that you could even see it visibly, like not that you were saying you saw the postpartum depression, but you saw like you kind of see because you come from this world. She's struggling a little bit, like she trying to find her place, and it's like, you know, and I know if you see it, my fancy it. People were writing me, like my parents seen it, my you know, my mom, my pastor everybody is like, yo, you good, you are right, You're not really yourself sitting up there, you know.
Speaker 1: And this was once I came back.
Speaker 2: You know, I felt like I never got my mojo back, like never got it after I came back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just starting to step into That's funny because I didn't see it like that so much. I didn't think, well, you know, I didn't know you that well before. Yeah, so I didn't know the difference. But I could just imagine and I could see just from some of the limited conversations and everything that happened. I feel like I could see that, and also I know that feeling I've been in a new slot or in a new thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe not.
Speaker 3: I've been a rady a long time, so maybe not the exact experience, but enough of an experience.
Speaker 1: To be plopped into a new situation where your life fun. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everybody got an opinion and everybody and then when you're in your.
Speaker 1: Own head, oh, the opinions is they don't help They do not help me.
Speaker 3: They will break you down and make you feel crazy. Oh my god, I just realized this too. Then you got on top of the layers. It's funny because we just did an interview with Young and May the other day. Oh okay, super random.
Speaker 1: This clip goes viral.
Speaker 3: It's like four million views or something, and of me and her talking about She's telling me she does karaoke and she sings Whitney Houston and I'm joking.
Speaker 1: I'm like really really so what.
Speaker 3: People are laughing or they crying, like whatever. The clip goes right. But sometimes when the net is wider, like my normal audience, the comments.
Speaker 1: I know they know me. I know them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a rapport like your normal just hilarious audience in the clips.
Speaker 1: You know them, they know you. Now, all of a sudden, a.
Speaker 3: New group of people have entered the chats, people that don't really know you.
Speaker 1: Same thing when you go to the breakfast club.
Speaker 3: Now you got a whole new audience, people that don't really know you for all this time, that got an opinion about everything you do.
Speaker 1: The reason I compare it is because I was looking at the Younger Maid clip and people.
Speaker 3: Were like, this lady doesn't respect her because because she's somebody saying because because young and may what's the term stud It wasn't a stund but it was something she presents masculine. So this lady thinks she can't sing. And I'm like, well, clearly this is somebody who doesn't know But it was a lot of people that didn't know me with weird comments. And I was like, whenever you cast a wider net, or you step into a world that's bigger than your comfortable world, it also comes with people who don't know you very well, people who got shipped to say without any kind of you know what I'm saying. I use that as a thing because I think that probably happens to a lot of people, Like whenever you jump into a bigger pool, it's a price.
Speaker 1: This is the thing that comes with that.
Speaker 2: You know, you got to like almost appeal to them, and I think I was getting lost in that.
Speaker 1: That's what I think I was doing. I was getting lost in neuse. You're right.
Speaker 2: They change up algorithms and like, now your video is popping up for people who don't know you, right, and their opinions now are stupid, Yes, are stupid, right, And it's a lot of a mixed thing. It's hard for you to find yours and you're like, damn, then I do something.
Speaker 1: What the hell happened? But really with people exactly you know, but you can't maam everybody.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm doing a better job with staying out the comments, because girl, I used to be called the clap back queen.
Speaker 1: I used to be in there like what I bet your mother you know what I mean. But I'm evolved. I'm thirty four. I got time to be reading comments and responding back to people. You gotta be up at three in the morning, girl, And you got two kids and.
Speaker 3: Doing research and doing research on people that comes up. And her husband my husband, yes, you know.
Speaker 1: Who wants his wife to uphold her wifely duties. What are your wifely duties? Gosh, gosh?
Speaker 3: And first of all, I need you to say say it like a little more like you're happy about.
Speaker 2: No, I'm absolutely happy to be married. It's just so much like I have. My life is so chaotic, it's beautiful chaos. At the end of the day though, because my person. I'm so happy I'm married Chris Christopher Tolliver. I took his last name, so you know I love him because I love my name. Jessica Robin Moore sounds package it up, you could sell it to anybody. Now I added Tolliver, so it's Jessica Robin Moore Taliver.
Speaker 1: You know I love you. I sound like a vavam.
Speaker 3: All the damn names, you know what I mean. But I am very very happy.
Speaker 2: I am and I actually have joy, like because I found someone who didn't. I'm not gonna say he didn't care about who Jesselarious was.
Speaker 1: He knew that. That's a character, you know. He knew that.
Speaker 2: And it's a lot of Jessica Robin Moore Taliver in just larious. But that's my brand that I put that. I take that head off at night when you know I'm with my husband. He wanted to know who I was, and you know, what makes me happy, what brings me joy outside of you know, the industry that I'm in. You know, he didn't even care about that, and that's what I love. I never had that never Wow, how did you guys meet? I met him in Baltimore, and the look he from Baltimore bornaries too, and I was like, I'm not doing no more niggers from Baltimore because the all like I'm not.
Speaker 1: They take me back to where I don't want to be, you know.
Speaker 2: But he's so well rounded because he was contracted with the army, so he lived in Kuwait for like four years, and he lived in Thailand, and he's just he's well rounded. You would never even know. He ain't even really got the accent until he get mad. Then you hear all of you and the dou and the suit and I'm like, damn. I was trying to get away from that. But I met him in Baltimore. I was getting crabs. This was February twenty third, twenty twenty three. I was just finishing up an episode of Breakfast Club. I was guest co host and I caught the train down me and my sister and my homegirl with go get some crabs.
Speaker 1: He coming there.
Speaker 2: He's sitting at the end of the bar and he beating his people's They knew who I was, but he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Really scoping or anything.
Speaker 2: He was just like down there conversating with them, and he was he's a truck driver, so he was like on the stop and I tried to buy him around the shots. He didn't drink, didn't smoke. He do now because I'm a little crazy, but yeah, he didn't, and so I was like, I like you, you know what I mean. And I'm buying shots and he ain't drinking none of them. So I get up and I go to the bathroom and you never know how drunk you are until you stand up. And I'm like, sis, walk me to the bathroom because I gotta walk past him, but I'm drunk a shit and she was like all right, cool. We walked past or whatever, and I was like, I hope you're not watching me walk away. And I turned around and he wasn't, and I was like, that's fucked up, you know. But I came out and he I could tell he was getting up, you know, because he was ready to leave.
Speaker 1: But he was like, I wouldn't like to take you out.
Speaker 2: I want to get to know you outside of this environment, you know, when you sober and everything.
Speaker 1: I want to get to know who you are, you know, and then it was that's it. A week later he took me on a date and I haven't left his side.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's so cute. Yes, three years. I'm happy about that. Yeah, I mean you went through a lot, man, it's the w Yes, you didn't hold back about how you let him know about your baby daddy.
Speaker 1: Yah know with some of the things went wrong there.
Speaker 3: But you guys have figured this out, like you really seem to have figured it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did. Well, what was the motivation behind even Like, let me tell this story?
Speaker 3: I mean, I know you've told stories. Yeah, you've been open about your relationship with him. You guys done the pod The Pot Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: A YouTube series that we developed co parents and therapy.
Speaker 2: We used to do those, but like I really wanted to put it into like a piece of literature, our story.
Speaker 1: Because girl, I just felt like social.
Speaker 2: Media today, right, you'll go down and use rabbit holes and TikTok, Instagram, Facebook X whatever you're on, and you see like there is a real category or like a real like thing where people want to stay stagnant and stay dysfunctional and they love toxicity. They feed off of that and the code parenting conversations outside of marriage or whatever. It's like baby mamas and bitter baby daddies and everybody, and they are talking about how much they hate the co parent, like it's not gonna affect your children, like your kids ain't gotta see this. Like there's been a bad stigma put on people, put on couples that don't stay together, like they feel like once you meet somebody, you have a baby, you on love all the things.
Speaker 1: Y'all break up. Now that's the end of it. You take the kid.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take this. We can't even be cool, Like fuck my baby mama, fuck you got sexy Red. That was like she probably get mad again.
Speaker 1: I don't care. You got it, sexy Red. That's like, fuck my baby dad.
Speaker 2: It's like so many it's like that's an audience that like, really, look, I'm gonna put it on a sim of the yo. On this book press tour, I sat and I did many podcasts, right, and I go and do this one in particular, And as soon as I sat down, I can tell they didn't read the book. But as soon as I sat down, the one girl's like yes, finally we got somebody who finally wrote a fuck my Baby Daddy book, cause y'all, I can't wait to tell you about mine. So I was like, Yeah, you clearly did not read the book, and you clearly don't know me. That's never been me, that's never been my story me and Ra I've never been able to say that about wrong.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: In the beginning of the book, chapter one, three, maybe four, some things went.
Speaker 1: Down, yes, but a little toxic.
Speaker 2: But nah, I've never because you got to think about it, yo, you once loved this person, you once you know, And although y'all not gonna be together, y'all can still come together and be friends. Even if you ain't best friends like me and Rome like you can still build a bond that's healthy for y'all too, because y'all, y'all gotta have the mindset for these kids, and you know, the right mindset for these kids, the right mentality, and y'all can raise the kids effectively.
Speaker 1: You don't have to hate each other.
Speaker 3: It requires though some well, number one, it requires you number one to put your children first. It requires actually be mindful about doing that. But it also requires you to, like for have to have forgiveness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know. I feel like you actually like I do, I do? You give him almost.
Speaker 3: You know, you understand his history and his background, and maybe some you can kind of just not justify but understand.
Speaker 1: Some of his behavior. You can make a decision A ain't for you, yes, but you could give him grace in some of his maybe shortcomings or things that he didn't.
Speaker 3: Do right in that relationship. And that's hard for a lot of people, especially when they.
Speaker 1: Still got in it. You got feelings, and I always say that you say in the book, don't be trying to jump around, don't be don't jump around in and.
Speaker 2: Out No of sex, no, please, no, stop forging maybe daddy, don't don't do it. Don't do it, because that's like false hope in a sense, you know what I mean. And it's more confusion. Yeah, and you're being let on and then vice versa. You got some guys that the.
Speaker 1: Baby mama leads on.
Speaker 2: Like I've seen it. I've seen it happen before, and I know the most complicated thing to do is co parent with somebody who you feel like you despise, or you feel like despises you. You feel like there's no end, like he hurt me so bad, and that's with me and wrong with you. In the beginning, I felt like he had hurt me so bad. I was trying to show up to be.
Speaker 3: The most bitterest of bitters, Like I was trying to be a bitter baby mama and the best parent for Ashton.
Speaker 1: And that's like oil and water that don't go you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Because it confuses your kids too, because I'm walking around angry, holding all of this negativity and energy and I'm angry most of the time, and his dad, but I'm projecting on him. And then I start seeing that and my son, like he messing up in school, he talking back to me, he's being disrespectful, defiant, opposition and all that, and I'm like, well, dad, what's wrong with you? And it's like you are what's wrong with him? And it took me, It didn't take me a lot of time to see that. But how me and Rome got past everything he had done to me. I had to start realizing that this is bigger than me. This has nothing to do with me. Rome came from a traumatic childhood right he found his mom dead at ten, and he was the fun one to find her.
Speaker 1: That is how he.
Speaker 2: Describes it to be the worst day of his life, Like nothing comes close to that feeling, and it still affects him now. And I think by his family not getting him the necessary help to teach him how to navigate or help him navigate with that loss, or you know, to cope with mourning at your mom. You know, she was he was her only child, you know, And then his life was uprooted at ten and he has a different household to go live into.
Speaker 1: Think what he started doing was self medicating on.
Speaker 2: Women, like with women like as he got older, because he never got any professional help with that.
Speaker 1: And I was able to.
Speaker 2: Understand that and change my mindset and my mentality toward him, like, Okay, this shit is bigger than me.
Speaker 1: Like I got to give him a little grace.
Speaker 2: He got to see somebody though he need professional help, but I could tell I was like the first step toward therapy because he had never got vulnerable, that vulnerable enough to share those things.
Speaker 3: What's interesting too, is like you might not have gotten to that place to give him that grace if you had not removed yourself from that relationship. Yeah, because if you just stayed in it, because I think women make the mistake of like, you could have grace for someone you love and understand their background and why, and it's bigger than you. You can understand that. But if you stay in it, somebody's going down. You know what I'm saying, Like, you can't rise to even have the grace.
Speaker 1: If you're in the shit with the person. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But somehow you got out, somehow you made a decision, yeah, which I'm sure which was not an easy one.
Speaker 1: No, I wasn't. It really was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't easy at first because, like I said, I was still in it and I did go down.
Speaker 1: I went that Nigga sent me to jail. Oh my god. It was wild.
Speaker 2: I'm busting out windows, I'm popping up at jobs, and I'm fighting the other baby mother and I'm catching them with girls, and I'm like, look y'all, all right, this this too much, you know, especially when he showed up at my son's birthday, at our son's first birthday party with another bit.
Speaker 1: What what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yes, like you know, and then people read that and they're like, how the hell did you get past that? How the hell are you sitting anywhere talking about he your best friend? I still don't know. I still don't know. I was just able to give him grades.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I know because the same reason you said, why is my son acting up? You did it for your son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you started with your son and then you found probably graceful him. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like my son started like acting up, and he was such a happy kid, like charming.
Speaker 2: Everything was that he did everything like his dad, like, because that's how room got me being charming and just you know what I mean, his little short ass just you know, I always say, if ray J and bow Wow made a baby, it'll be.
Speaker 3: Your own, it'll be my baby. Pun That's what I had to deal with, you know.
Speaker 1: But still very charming, you know.
Speaker 2: But like, yeah, I started seeing that at my son, and yeah, maybe that along with me understanding that traumatic incident that he had at ten walking and seeing his mom dead and then like you know, he still don't know like what happened or whatever. Nobody even tried to help him figure that out or anything.
Speaker 3: You know, the fact that he was that you could identify that he was medicating himself with women. Yeah, I think a lot of men do that, yeah, and don't uh what was the word we said before, diagnose it right? So sometimes that like the baby mother or the wife or the woman is like, what is wrong with you? They don't even know what's wrong with them. They don't because it hasn't been diagnosed. This is what you're doing. It's like you're medicating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like you're actually ruining your life actually, you know. And I feel like Rome.
Speaker 2: Was looking for his mom and a lot of the women because he he longed for nurturing, Like he loves affection. He loves to do all the same things he used to be able to do with his mom.
Speaker 1: With women, it's like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, he hates you if you can't cook him like you're talking on the internet. He don't like like certain things like that. And it always goes back to his mom because he'll mention, my mother would never do no shit like that all the time. Every time he gets into it with like certain girlfriends and certain you know, like I noticed that he'd say that this is you know, past, But I'm like, yo, you're looking for your mother and these girls you know you can't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, woof, Yeah, that's a different type of love. Look at just the therapist. You know what I'm saying, You might need a segment the chest the therapist, I do.
Speaker 2: I do a second called jest fix my mess. Yes, but see they don't take me serious.
Speaker 1: That's the problem.
Speaker 3: Yes, my message just seems like, you know, the therapists just could be a.
Speaker 1: Whole other thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put on some glasses, you know, and not do it at work with two childish ass idiots.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. But yeah, not that I thought about that. Foodies Unite.
Speaker 3: This is Edgebartinez from IR podcast here to tell you about something new and delicious from McDonald's. So they just released an all new Caesar sauce that is a creamy blend of rich parmesan, zesty lemon, and bold garlic flavors. The sauce on a chicken Caesar snack wrap or the mccrispy strips Delicious, which, by the way, the Crispy Strip or even Crispy or now. And that combination is perfect for McDonald's and for a drink. I probably have a nice cold sprite to go along with that perfectly, and I will be a happy girl. Don't take my word for it, Try it out. For yourself for a limited time while supplies last at participating McDonald's one more thing about that with the baby daddy, And you were so honest about and we don't hear a lot of women admit to this.
Speaker 1: It's using the kid in a way. No, honestly, it's very common. Nobody admits it. It's like people use the kid or weaponize that or the other way.
Speaker 3: Or you also say something in the book about how money he would he would kind of use money to So you use what you got to.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you try to get whatever you're trying to hit like in the gut, because if you what I knew about Rome, like back then, if he didn't love anything else, he loved his kid like he loved his son. He was so happy that we were having a baby like I was. I was happy that he was happy. You know, I was happier for him than I was for myself about to step into motherhood. So like I knew this would get under his skin. I'm like, heini yours anyway, Like I used that, I said that ship them. Yeah, and then like later ass was toxic too, girl, yes, girl, And that's why and that and his his response to that because he was hurt. That's why he said he bought the bitch to the birthday party because you told me that my son wasn't mine anyway.
Speaker 1: And I understood. I understood that, Like, yeah I did, I was. I was. I was mad, you know what I mean? Shit, you know, but I've done so much growing. What do you attribute the growth to? Like, is it just lessons?
Speaker 3: Life?
Speaker 1: Therapy? I mean therapy? What nothing?
Speaker 2: No therapy, girl. He will shove therapy down somebody throat. I'm like, are you in it because you need to go?
Speaker 3: Shit, even changed his face and you know his face all, you know, smooth now and everything.
Speaker 1: Shoot, so but he still need to go. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not opposed to it, to be honest, I don't know when to fuck.
Speaker 1: I have time to do therapy. You have grown?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I honestly, I equate that to like reading my Bibles because I was born and raised in the church, very structured household, my father being in a former marine. My mom born and raised in the church as well, so that's how she raised her kids. And keep your heading the Bible. You know, you give God, give God everything the glory yourself, you know, you ask him to use you, you know, and in situations where you don't know what to do and you drop seeing easy and you pray even when you feel like your prayers go unheard.
Speaker 1: Nah, nah, they're not. You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you got to sit in a storm like you sitting in the season, because you gotta face the noise and shit.
Speaker 3: And I felt like I was very, very toxic. Was a lot of things I needed to work on.
Speaker 2: While I'm so busy trying to help Roam get through his shit, I'm like, nigga, I'm fucked up to a little bit, you know, because of this with you, This is a lot.
Speaker 1: We come from two different paths. And what is the prayer at that moment? Girl? What is the prayer to get you out of your own toxicity?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 2: Why would you even want me to go to jail? Why would you you said, I'm your kid? Why would you want me to bash this nigga head? And why would you want me to ride over here and bust his windows out? Why would you want me to fight this girl that's sitting on his lamp on the porch and my son in the house rolling around in a kittle it in the cat litter.
Speaker 1: Why would you want me to do that?
Speaker 3: You know? And what was your answer, did you? I don't no answer. What's jail like that? You and you didn't realize.
Speaker 1: You didn't realize I had to go through all of that, you know.
Speaker 3: But even when you don't get a clear answer from God, it is not all about just prayer.
Speaker 2: It's about realizing too, Like, yo, this is more. This is about more than just you. You got a kid, You made a decision to have this baby. It's not about just praying. Like you really have to do some some deep diving into you got to look inside and be like, all right, what do I really want? Do I want to keep going through this shit like what you said earlier, Like do I want to keep doing this? Like it's draining me to be toxic? Like I'm stopping myself. I caught charges and shit like all right, because now you stopping yourself, and I feel like God will keep on. He will also keep putting you in the same position to be hurt by the same person until you wake up.
Speaker 1: Because I know, you know, God wants us to.
Speaker 2: Love thy brother, love thy sister, and you know, help everybody out where you can.
Speaker 1: But he still don't want you to be a fucking fool either, like you know, you want you to have some discernments.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I was very foolish, and I just didn't want to keep getting hurt and keep hurting myself, and I didn't want to keep seeing home hurt.
Speaker 1: Yes. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that you're not afraid to, I don't know, just make mistakes and learn in real time, like out loud, and to go back to what we were talking about earlier.
Speaker 1: I remember this moment.
Speaker 3: So you had just had this outburst with the breakfast club. You just came back, you went online and said whatever you said.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember everything about everybody and everything about everybody, and they didn't want you there.
Speaker 3: They were trying to force you out, and the whole thing went crazy, and I remember somebody was like she shouldn't have done that, and I was like myself, I was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you had to pick moments to live out loud, even if it's uncomfortable for yourself and everybody else. I'm not saying on the record, yes, that you should have done I know, but I also told that I did say that to you, right. I love that you should have. But I think when you're not afraid to be out loud in a moment like that, it also gives you the opportunity to heal out loud, because whenever when people seeing you doing that and then reacting.
Speaker 1: You're on the radio every day and you're in a new position.
Speaker 3: So now people are getting to know you new people are getting to know you in a different way, and so now they see you in this conflict.
Speaker 1: But guess what, now we get to see you.
Speaker 3: You you heal the conflict, and now we've gone on that ride with you and we know you better. And I think sometimes to live out loud in those moments, if you're ready to and willing to deal with the comments and deal with the opinions and deal with everybody, if you're willing to do that, especially as a public figure, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I think it could serve you. You know, it was. It was a very.
Speaker 2: Uncomfortable moment, you know, like I and girl, I had to go live talk about everybody, and then go to work the next day, like my bad was going to work.
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I thought I was like, oh shit, I think I'm done. Yeah, I think I'm done. But I still went, and I'm like, nah, I forget it. Whatever I'm going.
Speaker 1: And I go in there and I.
Speaker 2: See the bus bus don't be coming in At five point thirty she was there. I was like, oh shit, hey, how you doing.
Speaker 1: She's like, you are right? You good? I was like, yeah, I'm good. Why what's good?
Speaker 3: You know, like I didn't just do this shit like everybody didn't see you talking? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, And then ooh, I walk in and there they want to have. Actually, Envy wanted to have the conversation on air, you know. And at first I was like, nah, nah, we not doing that, but then I was. Then I said to myself, no, what I did was public. They got every right the one I had this conversation with me, yes, publicly, like nah, I'm not going you know, hot.
Speaker 1: Tuck my tail hot?
Speaker 2: Like nah, all right, Well in his right to yeah, and he was hurt by it, you know. And I feel like I got a certain connection, like a different type of connection with Envy because he's like the big teddy bear, like big brother, Like Hi, don't play about loyalty. That's one thing about him and me getting to know him, because I had a long standing relationship with Charlotte before I came to the show, just got.
Speaker 1: To meet Lauren.
Speaker 2: But I really didn't like have like that bond with Envy until I came on to Breakfast Club and like he like welcomed me, open arms, whatever you when your kids need whatever you and Chrisny like he just accepted me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, damn, real family.
Speaker 2: Guy, stand up dude, solid love him, you know so that I can tell it hurt him more than it hurt anybody, you know. And that's what really made me cry. Like Envy, I just I burst into tears, but I still felt like, yo, I'm not crazy, Like yeah, maybe a little post part of me and ship, Yeah that's cool, but like, nah, y'all feel like y'all playing with me. Like I'm asking, yo, what's going on? Like am I being replaced? Like what are y'all doing with her? She's gonna be the fourth chair, Like what's happening?
Speaker 1: Hey? But I don't know. I mean, you know, like senior news producer. She's gone.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, producers really don't be on air like that, you know what I mean? Like I wanted her to sit in the third chair. Wow, I was out having my baby and shit, but I come back and we had a plan and now the plan is like different and didn't and nobody told me, and so I'm asking her, like, yo, it's Shane, no even I'm like.
Speaker 1: But you know what's going on? Stop bag.
Speaker 2: You are from TMZ. If anybody know anything, it's you, Like, I know, you know what's.
Speaker 1: Up, you know, But it was it was, it was.
Speaker 2: It was just no communication. And I felt like the rapport that I built with them before.
Speaker 1: Going to maternity leave.
Speaker 2: I felt like I was at least old some type of heads up, you know, and I didn't get that. So I acted out in a tantrum type of manner and we had that big blow up on air, and everything got better eventually. I don't regret doing that on air. I don't regret doing it because, like, it was a very real thing and it was a moment of the beginning of a healing process, like all right, come on, let's do it.
Speaker 3: I guess that's what I was saying at the beginning of this. It's like, yeah, I'm not saying.
Speaker 1: I know, but I feel like I know you were.
Speaker 3: You were in a state of like postparty, new job, you needed support, you needed guidance. You weren't getting it and you had a tantrum. Yeah, you had a.
Speaker 1: Tantrum, you did, But like.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I don't know, I feel like, what a great opportunity for you for the fans of the show or people in the public to see you work through that with everyone as a team, to see you and Lauren get to the other side of that. It's beautiful to see that. And so I think you don't get to see that if you don't see the tantrum. For us, you don't get to see the healing if you don't get to see the tantrum. And so I love that we got to.
Speaker 2: Sit down with you Angela ye, like you know, because remember that women's event girl, that was like immediately after the live and shit. And so I'm imagine coming back to work after something like that and you saw all the white people walking down, Hey, Jesse, Okay, I'm like, yeah, I'm good, damn Like all right, relax y'all. And then Lauren actually was the one like, hey, we should go to the women's like it's Women's Day. It was all the girls of iHeart, like, let's I'm like girl, hell no, I just went live last week.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how you talking to me, you know, Like no, She's like, no, let's go for real. I think it'd be great.
Speaker 2: Lauren is really a girl's girl, like she I love that how she didn't even of course in the moment she was upset, like you bitch said you ain't like me online and all of that, you know, but she was able to see, like also what I was going through, and she was able to put herself in my shoes, like, yeah, I would kind of feel that way too. I wouldn't do what you did, but I would feel that way too. And then we sat down with you and Angelaue and also like and you gave us that that I thought that was the most genius idea to remake The Boy is Mine, The Job is Mine. I thought that was so fucking great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was trying to express to you guys that to own the narrative. I just wanted you to to own your own narrative, like, don't let people say what she is.
Speaker 1: Don't let Lauren.
Speaker 3: Don't let people tell you just ain't shit and hate you, Lauren, don't you know, just don't let people tell you that Lauren is trying to take you out because like, y'all control the narrative and I just I don't know. I just wanted to say that, so then that I did came up. But then you actually not only did you.
Speaker 2: Do it, but y'all took it and bodied yes, I thought it was so.
Speaker 3: And then Brandy to hear Brandy say like that was Jean Lauren just saw her at the Roofs picnic and Brandy was so happy about that.
Speaker 1: She was loved that. She loved it. So that makes me so happy. Yeah, I know, right, yes, And we don't do the same thing.
Speaker 2: I'm a comedian, she's a journalist, you know, like Lauren being caught with niggas.
Speaker 1: That ain't me. I'm not sitting behind Diddy for forty five days. I'm not doing it. She was there. She that's TMZ girl.
Speaker 3: She's about that life. She is about that life. Respect that that's a grind. The reason I love that is because I've made mistakes like that in my career, where you let people make you feel some way about somebody, And when I would get to the other side of it, I realized, Man, it's so much better when you could just get it out, get to it, because usually usually nobody really wants the problem.
Speaker 1: They want solutions, yeah, and things.
Speaker 2: It's not somebody I'm seeing every day. Like you spend more time with the people you work with then you do your family. So yeah, that that part.
Speaker 3: Too, not every day every day beefing with somebody every day, Like damn, I got to come up with a roast every day. You know.
Speaker 1: I didn't have to do that. Yeah. People have done ship like that to me my whole career.
Speaker 3: I told that story we were with Ryan Coogler about how when I when they first put me on Afternoons. Yeah, I was like struggling with something and they put and they put ed lover on against me at Power. I think Afternoons and I love it, love right, yes, whatever, But all of a sudden he was like my competition, and I let a little bit of that get in my head. And then he booked Oprah Winfrey on his after you know She's Yes, still haven't really interviewed Oprah. He got the Oprah interview on Power. So it's new radio station, new lover right against me. Oh god, I caught myself feeling a way about Ed. I caught myself on like hey what.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, wait a minute, you don't. You don't feel like that about it, you love it.
Speaker 3: I had to check myself and I was by myself in the car to check myself, and I thought checking myself wasn't enough.
Speaker 1: I had to like hit ed and say, Yo, you killed that interview. Wow, it was so good. And then hear him say to me, man, feel thank you so much for calling me so much to me.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, oh, I'll never make that mistake again because what was almost happening.
Speaker 1: It's like you have to cut that shit, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right at the root, because he probably didn't know how you were feeling either. He's probably like shit, probably just automatically felt guilty to you.
Speaker 1: Like for sure.
Speaker 3: I just use that as an example, but we've all been through that in different things at the job. But whatever people put you in, it's like if you don't check yourself, and then if you want to go further and actually clear the air, a lot of times the air feels better like that.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna lie let Lauren me over before me. I'm going live again. I oh no, damn what no shit. I don't hate upsy no, but damn no more live for you. No, no, no more, no more.
Speaker 3: Let's go to our bowl I r L bowl or our voice note which one? All right, let's do bowl? Okay, all right, there's our I r L bowl. Question you can't go in. You've seen the pods, so you know I'm gonna go to my favorite one after. But we'll save that for the end. Okay, damn what what can't figure out?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Because this one is what do people hope to learn from you? What do you think people can people know?
Speaker 3: I think people should learn. What do you hope people learn from you? Being yourself is never too much? Like honestly, like, it's not always beautiful, it's not always easy, it's not always pretty, but like.
Speaker 2: It's real, definitely real. But sometimes some people so emotional?
Speaker 1: What is that? What's happening? What are you thinking? Why is that? Why does that sting? Because sometimes you you can be too much or for people mm hmm you want to petition? You can we get a petition?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes you you can be too much, right or people have told you that.
Speaker 1: I guess like, yeah, sorry, I don't make sure that your makeup is so good.
Speaker 2: I don't want to think you know, but not Sometimes you can be like too much for people, And I have been told that.
Speaker 1: Like like.
Speaker 2: Tone it down, like you you know that Baltimore can't come with you, which you mean that's what got me here, you know, like and second guess yourself a lot while you want to be known for who you are and staying authentic and just like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, being who you are.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes that's not always accepted right away by the people that you think will accept it. You know, like I've never been cookie cutter, never been over polished, and shit, I evolve for sure, elevating and evolution is beautiful, but like I will never lose my core and like.
Speaker 1: I feel like a lot.
Speaker 2: Of my nose that I get like no, no, you're not good for this roller, you can't do this.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: It's because I'm a little I'm still a little rugged too much. Like it's you know, oh, she goes rogue if things don't happen her way, or she's from the same city monique from me.
Speaker 1: You see how that shit ended up.
Speaker 2: Like I actually have heard those conversations. I'm like, then, know Jada Pinkett, you see how she going around she on this book tour, she.
Speaker 1: Talking about she wasn't never happened.
Speaker 3: I'm like, God, damn, these Boughtimore bites Manning, you know what, they put us all in the God that you know, But everybody's journey is different, everybody's everybody's different.
Speaker 1: Then oh my god, then you see Krishawn.
Speaker 3: It's like why everybody always gotta like it's like we constantly get it. Like, but.
Speaker 2: What I what I still want for people to learn from me, Like, yo, just be yourself. It may take you longer than you're expected to grow, right, don't change, grow get better with time like wine, Like even going back to my book, I got better, like from experiencing things and learning from myself and learning from my son.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, it's hard though I feel that, Yeah, well you are enough clearly. Yeah, that's not the problem. You don't think you're not enough.
Speaker 3: You think you're too much, or you're worry you're too much. That's your struggle, right, Am I too much?
Speaker 1: Right? But then what you're supposed to do mute yourself right with yourself. And I think that's what also I was going through in the breakfast club that I'm just trying to I mean that I'm just getting out of like am I too much, do I gotta I'm in my head asking all these questions and yeah, it'll get you every time, girl. Yes.
Speaker 2: And then Shar calls me. You know, Envy will call like, Yo, he was quiet? They was wrong, you know, And then Shar calls me. Yeah, Envy is always there with it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: He's a good soul. Yeah he is.
Speaker 2: Man, and Shar will call me and man, Shar is like a tough big brother but still a brother nonetheless, Like he's the type if you walk past him and you crying here, don't come around me all because I ain't gonna ask you what's wrong?
Speaker 1: You know. And then when we get off work, you know, what's what's going on? What's wrong? And don't be tough, like you don't gotta be tough. What's wrong? You know? You're quiet?
Speaker 2: What's going on? Where's your funny? Where are you? What's happening? Why you're not right? And I can tell what's going on?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That makes me feel better, makes me feel good, you know, cause these are like in my opinion, Oh geez, man, y'all been doing this shit.
Speaker 1: For so long. No, we didn't learn this.
Speaker 2: This is the way, y'all learned, but it's still hard, it still new, and it's like shit, it's like being thrown in you know. But what I do realize is, you know, to wrap it up like it's still other days. You know, it's always the next day, it's always tomorrow. If you don't get it right today, yeah you got another, got another day to get it right.
Speaker 1: And we just people try to try to wing, to try to wing with me, you know what I mean, We just people.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I just heard somebody say that today about yesterday about somebody. Oh, we were talking about a friend of mine who's super successful and she just did something kind of nuts and one of our friends was like, what's wrong.
Speaker 1: You're human, right.
Speaker 3: You're showing you're showing that you're human because we all like, we're all just trying.
Speaker 1: Our best out here. By the way, you answered that question amazing. I know I think I did not. I didn't want it, but we didn't want it, but you it. You didn't want it, but you needed it. The damn bol will get you every time, right damn.
Speaker 2: And I was watching that so I'm like, shait, watch, I'm gonna pick a good question and I'm gonna ace this shit.
Speaker 1: The whole time. I'm up this motherfucker crying. I know, but damn I ain't want to get all deep.
Speaker 3: Oh I was trying to hold it together because we can't move be here crying.
Speaker 1: You know how I felt that to him. We probably feel it too.
Speaker 3: It's like we all go through those moments where we're like somebody judges you or they want you to be a different version of yourself, and we're like, am I okay?
Speaker 1: Am I enough? Am I good enough? Am I something wrong with me? Like, even if we don't show it, we all have those internal feelings sometimes. And it's like you were just throwing in the fire. It's on overload, and so I feel you on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so proud of you that you are fighting and continue to fight through that things.
Speaker 1: So you're so worth it. Thank you man. Yeah, it's good. I'm not gonna make it cry against I know, right. Yeah, I appreciate it though for real. Yeah, you're so dope.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, you ever signed up for a phone plan thinking wow, what a great price, and then a few months later it's like, surprise.
Speaker 1: Your bill is higher. We hate that.
Speaker 3: With Boost Mobile, you pay twenty five dollars a month forever. That's unlimited talk, text and data starting at just twenty five dollars a month. There's no price hikes, there's no contract, and this is forever.
Speaker 1: Plus.
Speaker 3: Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They invested billions building five G towers across the country. So what you need to do is visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local Boots store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five G speeds not available in all areas. After thirty gigabytes, customers may experience lower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars a month as long as they remain active on the Boost Unlimited plan. All right, let's go to our voice note. We have a voice notte segment here. You know this from the iralius. This is a listener or a fan show. Yes, friend, let's having it.
Speaker 4: Hi, Jess, I've been seeing somebody for almost a year now, and he's asking me questions about when he's gonna be introduced to my child. How do you know when it's a good time to introduce your new partner to your child?
Speaker 1: Good question? Yeah, that is a good question. I actually talk about this in the book.
Speaker 2: I because what I did, what I did, what I thought was wrong now looking back, I was introducing my son to everybody.
Speaker 3: Yes, girl, and it was like I'm who is Like my son was literally like who is this?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I'm And I wasn't even dating good guys, like great guys. I'm not gonna say they weren't great. They weren't great for him, my son.
Speaker 1: I was. I was dating selfishly.
Speaker 3: But were you introducing them as your boyfriend or just like my mommy's friend, Oh yeah, my friend like yeah nah, And a lot of them wasn't even around long enough to become boyfriends.
Speaker 2: But like I wouldn't introduce my son to ooh gosh, Like I feel bad even talk about it now, but I did do that. And when I'm at my husband, this is this is like the answer to the question. When I met my husband, I feel like I had went through all the bad seeds. I knew what not to do in this relationship, so I was like, all right, cool.
Speaker 1: I asked him questions about because he wasn't a parent.
Speaker 2: I gave my husband his first child, so I was asking him like like how are you good? How are you with kids? How are you with conflict resolution? With baby? Daddy's Like, you know, have you ever dealt with somebody with a kid, because I know you don't have kids? Was how how was you brought up?
Speaker 1: Mark?
Speaker 2: You know, like does your mom and your dad speak? Do you speak to your father? Do you speak to your mother? You know what I mean? Like, just certain certain things and you'll be able to see rather quickly what type of person you did with, you know. And it took me like four months to introduce my husband to my my son. Although I knew I was gonna be with him before that, it was just a feeling I had. I still was very cautious approaching that meetup because I'm like, well, Ashton seen so many just clown ass dudes, Yo, come in and out. This one gotta be right because I can't keep doing the shit. He's gonna get older and he's gonna be like, all right, mine, yeah you tripping?
Speaker 1: Like what the hell you know?
Speaker 2: So to answer her question, you gotta get to know it is no time to put on it.
Speaker 1: Just when you feel.
Speaker 2: Like you've asked all the questions and you can see that he's a good guy, that that he or she is a good because you know, just for guys too, you gotta you really have to do evaluations these days. Man, it's like on a first on those first three dates, you got to get to know the person. Don't just be on the phone, please don't. Don't don't take pictures. Oh look where he bought me at, Like look he took me. Look you all I'm at Ruth Chris Like nah nah nah. Really get to know that man, especially if you've got children and you come as a package.
Speaker 1: You are a package.
Speaker 2: You have to realize, I mean, you have to approach dating as a package.
Speaker 1: And that's what I didn't do. That's what I learned what a good question is to get to know that man.
Speaker 2: Ooh, Like, how are you with your Were you raised in a two parent home? And it's okay if they if they, if they weren't, because just because you are raising the two parent house old don't mean you won't be fucked up. I know some fucked up people that have three parents in the house. It don't matter, you know, it's about what you're taught. Like morally, does this person align with you? You know, like me and my husband are equally yoked.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: We read the Bible together, we pray together. We like he asked me about my faith on the first date. Oh you know, do you have God?
Speaker 1: Asked me?
Speaker 2: Was I e an therapy? I was like, damn, Like do you think I'm I'm messed up? And he was just like nah, I just want to know, Like this comes from me just dating anybody. So I'm like, oh damn. So we both have done that. The difference is I got a kid, so I want to make sure you're right. So you have to ask about their parents, how they were raised, if they were raised by grandparents, what did they see? How how do they resolve conflict? Are they still the same person when they're angry? Because seeing somebody angry you kind of get to see, Okay, do I still feel like you love.
Speaker 1: Me when you're angry?
Speaker 2: How do you handle arguments like are you gonna try to hip below the belt so bad where I can't even I can't even come back from some shit you said? You know what I mean, because you're so busy trying to win the argument like all those things. You know, you got to evaluate these people, man, because making your own people.
Speaker 1: That's hard. That's really hard.
Speaker 2: That you got to approach that like more careful than you approach marriage, because marriage is in relationships and contracts and but parenting doesn't you know what I mean? That's like a life sentence that you that you know without the negative connotation like that, that's a life sentence that you do. You know, get to know the person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, questions, Jesse, good questions.
Speaker 3: Speaking of questions, let's go to our IRL questions in real life, Jess.
Speaker 1: When I walk in a room, I want people to feel I can relate to her. I can relate to her. She's funny.
Speaker 2: But Jess, Jess is she's so many different layers, she has so many different layers.
Speaker 1: I can relate to her. What's the last piece of great advice someone that's given you?
Speaker 2: Don't accept being canceled because you're not really ever can too.
Speaker 1: Don't accept it. As soon as you accept it, then that's when you start living.
Speaker 2: That that you're canceled. You can't be canceled. Just a few people mad in the comments that don't mean you canceled?
Speaker 1: Who told you that?
Speaker 2: Comedian Nate Jackson one of my one of my one of my good friends. Man, Like yeah, comedian Nate Jackson told me that, So, yeah, what are your.
Speaker 1: In real life pet peeves or triggers?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, Like, first of all, I don't like my husband will be so many I do not like when like now, I love little cute stuff him feeding me, but don't blow my food because then that's breath.
Speaker 1: Like I do not like when somebody blow their breath on your food.
Speaker 2: Like I don't even like doing that to my kids, like like, oh my gosh, like.
Speaker 1: You not blow your breath. What do you do on your birthday?
Speaker 3: I know, I don't even I don't even eat the cake, especially if the kid, Like if the kid look back look bad, I know they think, do not blow your candles out, and then think, my kid.
Speaker 1: Is gonna eat this cake? Because ill you know what I'm saying. What is wrong with you? I do not know.
Speaker 2: I don't like that though, it is something about them, like, oh my god, what happened?
Speaker 1: I don't like that. Don't blow my food? Yeah, you're so funny. What is your real life superpower?
Speaker 2: Ooh, resilient. I'm resilient. I bounce back from you really do almost anything.
Speaker 1: What is something that you are still working on in real life. Hmmm, my delivery, my delivery. Oh that's a great answer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't change my accent, but I can work on how I deliver things. They can be very intimidating sometimes, you know, and I can say something and people will receive it more harshly because of how I deliver it, because you can you can come the same message, but it's different ways to say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my delivery. What do you pray for most?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, balance? Healthy balance with me being a wife, mom, comedian, stand up comedian, radio host. Now I'm live on Netflix. That's the worst thing to do is be live for me.
Speaker 3: Child, what I'm like, Damn Now if I'm mad, I just got to go in the bathroom, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just finding balance, like a healthy balance so I can be everywhere at the same time or try my best to be and be present right and be present?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, balance. How's that going for you? It's going. I don't know how it's going, but it's going. I'm trying, really trying.
Speaker 3: What do you still want to accomplish? Like what is does have to be a bucket list thing? Yeah, that's just something that you're still I.
Speaker 1: Want more people to know who I am.
Speaker 2: Like I've been doing this shit since I was well since twenty fourteen, so eleven years, like twenty fifteen. Yet like eleven years, and I still feel like I haven't scratched the surface and stand up comedy where everybody.
Speaker 1: Knows who I am, Like.
Speaker 2: You know, people people know of just celerious, people got an idea, A lot of people know me, But I want way more people to know who I am through my comedy. That's why I can't wait to drop my special. But it has to be special, that's the whole point of a special, and that's where I'm going to introduce who I am. I want the world to see that I'm funny as shit, talk shit. Just I'm really funny yo, like and and I give you that nineties raw feel of comedy, Like comedy is supposed to be limitless, and I feel like it can't be no a ceiling put on comedy, you know. And that's the best introduction to me, Like if all else fails, you know, Breakfast Club is gone or whatever is gone, this is going to take this away.
Speaker 1: The stage will always.
Speaker 2: Be there, like for me to go and stand up and make people laugh, like I'm a vacation away from people's work life, kids going through something, to your marriage, friendships, fucked up, whatever, Like I can.
Speaker 1: Make you laugh about I can make people laugh about anything. You've always been like that too, Yes, Yes, since a kid, Yes, since I was like seven. I will say that. My mom told me it was a funeral.
Speaker 2: My great great uncle was my mom's great uncle that passed away, and you know the wake, right when everybody walking down the line to see who's in the casket and all of that.
Speaker 1: And I was real cool with this uncle.
Speaker 2: And my mom said, I was like, why she was crying and saying her last words to uncle Reggie. I looked at my was like that Uncle Reggie, why is he great? Like that ain't who I saw alive the other day? And I'm like I was seven and eight. She was like yes, And I whooped your ass because I was crying. That was my favorite uncle and you made your cousins laugh and everybody.
Speaker 1: I'm like, we in a goddamn funeral.
Speaker 2: She whooped my ass, but she said I knew that's when you were gonna be funny and courageous.
Speaker 1: And I was like, damn at a funeral, that's what's up. You know what I mean? Yeah, you know, because you know, niggas died every day.
Speaker 2: But it's like, damn, if you if you can make somebody laugh at a funeral, oh you got it.
Speaker 1: Good, she must be proud.
Speaker 3: She is, she is, She's still be like you did not have to say that, but she'd be laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and you and your son is showing signs of oh my god, yes, he a little too real.
Speaker 2: I'm like, damn, you know what I mean. But yeah, I'm very excited. I'm excited for what for for people to know who I am? Yeah, that more people to know who I am.
Speaker 1: All right, Our final question on I ral question? You know what it is? No what you said? You said now, I'm just excited to be it's in the ball. But if if people if people.
Speaker 3: Don't pick it, I ask it anyway because it's my favorite question. If God were to text you, you know this question, what would it say?
Speaker 1: What would the text say.
Speaker 2: I did not tell you to do that. Shit, don't keep lying on me. I did not tell.
Speaker 1: You to do that. Ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what he would literally text me that, like a few times out the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I use God for everything, Like yeah, I like God moved me that. No I didn't. I didn't tell you to do that. No, don't lie, nigga, Like I'm telling you he how God told me. Yeah, Yeah, I receive it just like that. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: He reads me and Baltimore, and that's how I feel like I've been receiving him, very baltimoreish.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, me and God got our old love language. I'll be like, nah, I know I f up. I fucked up. I know I did. I'm gonna just say it was because of you. For real. He's like, cut it out, yep, like for real, get your together. Just hilarious and real life. Yay, this is just hilarious and real life. Hey guys, thanks for watching.
Speaker 3: Make sure you subscribe, like comments, and check out all of the other episodes we have on Edge.
Speaker 1: Martinez I r OL Podcast