Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Department of govern Trend Efficiency courtesy of Vanadium Silver.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we kept the acronym intact, which is cool. That's what's cool is doing a government agency to like spell out a product is fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hell yeah, hell yeah, hell yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 4: That's what I like about this new administration. It's gonna be real easy to understand everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, no more want.
Speaker 1: If they've made like the EPA spell out like tied, because like we're cleaning things up, you know, like the style soap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what you.
Speaker 1: Can buy naming rights to government agencies like their sports arenas.
Speaker 2: And so merch.
Speaker 1: Anyways, well we'll talk a little bit more about that on tomorrow's full episode.
Speaker 5: My name is Jack O'Brien.
Speaker 1: That over there is Miles Gray Gray and these are some of the stories that are trending right now. We just found out about a new business opportunity that we just got to get you guys in on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a basketball version of.
Speaker 3: Top Golf some coming Yeah yeah, called jump Shot Live.
Speaker 4: And I it I'm just having so much trouble understand. I like, just still people understand this is how they describe it. From their own press release, it says the concept of a technologically superior basketball experience coupled with a chef driven dining and craft cocktails is one of the with a massive potential audience, both in the United States and abroad. They go on to say, twenty eight million Americans age six and up play basketball. Okay, so can the six and up partake in your craft cocktails too, or that's just a different offering. Then they say their locations are designed to span fifty thousand square feet, though some venues made very in size with fifty game bays each, and it will accommodate up to six people and it'll be all kinds of shit with led screens. The backboards move so you can shoot anywhere on the court. Uh, and there's like a bunch of athletes involved. I think, as people have pointed out, specifically Dragonfly Jones, because it was his tweet that Evn't saw this like weird mock up of a video, was that basketball is not a fun sport in terms of like you can go casually been like, hey man, let's just go have some drinks and some fucking, you know, cheese curds down at jump shot live right, that'll that'll be fine. Every time I've been around my friends near a basketball hoop, it turns into some hyper competitive shit, like it just does, even if.
Speaker 5: You're just playing too much riding on that ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's And where there's golf, as Dragonflies pointing out, is like it's it's a humbling sport, like sure, some people are good, but most people go being like, look, we're all fucking trash. Maybe we can we'll have fun swinging a club around and not know what the fuck is going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also like the drinking and snacking is built into golfing, like that's a big part of golfing. Is like when you're playing golf, you're often drinking, and there's like a hot dog cart. There's not a hot dog cart on like basketball courts for people to grab a couple of hot dogs and a beer while they're playing. Yeah, maybe there should be, but that's just not the way the sport evolved.
Speaker 4: I also just think too, like Americans, a lot of people probably have some form of like old school ground playground stress from being a kid having to play basketball and not being good and just being stressed out like at pee.
Speaker 3: Like a fuck rapping to play basketball, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I fucking have to, man.
Speaker 4: I mean, like one of the most stressful experiences for me as a as a youth was fucking trying out for basketball my freshman year of high school.
Speaker 2: And like, I don't know about this. I don't know about this.
Speaker 1: I mean, so it's being brought to you by the people who do Top Golf, which.
Speaker 4: Tangentially I think there's people like as I read more, the COO is the guy who had been developing real estate for places like Top Golf. So it's people that definitely understand the sports entertainment, whatever.
Speaker 1: The upscale dining sports play. And I will say I have gone to Top Golf with my kids and my nephew, and there is certainly an audience of people. There's certainly a consumer base for people hanging out with their kids while enjoying craft cocktails that seems to be there and ursioning hell even at eleven in the morning. I will say that the logical thing, like if this were designed to actually be a thing that they wanted to succeed, is like you would just add five gaming stations aka basketball who places like little Basketball Hooperias gaming base to gaming base to a top golf and see if anybody like gave a shit enough to try it. But because of the economy and the world that we live in, that's not what they're not actually like trying to It would be my guess, Like it feels like like in the same way as like Crypto and NFTs and like all that shit. The thing that they're trying to do is like the whole like big launch, and like the hype around the launch is the product, you know, Like the deck is the product they like they're in the deck that like they've put out for this, which is just like you know, a slideshow they have like a computer generated like drone fly through of the big dining room area, and it's just yeah, it's like trying to get as many investors on board before they realize it's a bad idea.
Speaker 5: So you don't do you don't do the.
Speaker 1: Thing that would actually tell you it was a bad idea first, because that would just be too too much useful information.
Speaker 4: And the point is this does feel like the perfect business idea for right before a potential huge recession.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it feels like that is what we are.
Speaker 4: Shit, dude, I went all in on that fucking jump shot place in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fuck, but yeah, we'll see, we'll see, yeh.
Speaker 5: I know for me, you made the really good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you made the really good point that you can You can't hit a golf ball in your neighborhood unless.
Speaker 4: You live in like one of these huge you know, places where they have huge tracts of land.
Speaker 2: Most urban dwellers.
Speaker 1: Know you can walk one hundred feet in most directions and find a driveway or you know, a little bit longer and find.
Speaker 5: A park with a basketball hoop.
Speaker 1: But that park, in that basketball hoop will not be next to fogged glass with jump shot live written on it. And that's the real opportunity that we're presenting people with here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, other big news too for people to get excited and then disappointed about the James Bond. Producers Barbara Brockley and Michael G. Wilson have said that they're going to cast a new James Bond and whiteness is not a given.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ, he'll be.
Speaker 1: A man, likely in his thirties, and drum roll, please, whiteness is not a given.
Speaker 4: What a fucking phrase? Yeah uh And whiteness is not a given.
Speaker 3: Although we may, we may. It may be a preference, it may be a preference.
Speaker 2: It's not a given. A lot not gonna.
Speaker 3: We'll see, we'll see, we'll see. I don't know who wants to even touch this role anymore.
Speaker 4: Uh but I mean because there was we had so much fun being like it could be a fucking not white guy or man, and then you know, you have.
Speaker 3: All these people like James Bond could only be a white guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Andris Elba said the response when his name was floated made the whole thing quote disgusting and off putting as a result.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so maybe just like I mean again, I get like for a studio, like it just makes money, man, and it's yeah, but you know what, you can easily come.
Speaker 2: Up with a new thing.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, you can always come up with a new thing.
Speaker 5: What about that guy Jim from the office.
Speaker 3: My fucking god, dude, you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no no. Is he too.
Speaker 5: Sexy for it?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Find out on tomorrow's episode. Oh no, it's it too sexy.
Speaker 3: The Antonio banderas, how do you say?
Speaker 2: Show?
Speaker 5: All right, let's take a quick break we'll come back, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: And there's been a surge in research into the South Korean movement, the four B movement. In the hours after the election, there was like a bunch of people searching. Now it's becoming a more formalized thing. This is an informal South Korean feminist movement that basically agrees among women to not have sex, not have children, not marry men. In response to the steady spread and you know, overpowering growth of power of misogyny and popular and political culture. It started in South Korea in the twenty tens, gained a lot of strength after a horrifying crime in which an inceul murdered a twenty three old woman in a public bathroom in the Gangnam district of Soul, And in twenty twenty two they had their own kind of Trump like figure sweep to power on the back of a young male swing vote. And so it's growing there. It's not like a super well defined movement, like a one of the people who's kind of heavily involved calls it more of an individualized resistance rather than like a highly organized movement. But I understand why it's getting a lot of attention from people at this moment. And also I feel like the conservative media ecosystem is going to fucking eat this shit up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, it's inspired some pretty heinous responses, I'd say, yeah, And like there was an article in Rolling Stone where they were talking to some South Korean women who were just like asking, like they're like.
Speaker 3: Oh, what do you think, like what to see it's spread?
Speaker 4: And they're like, up, they're heartened to see that, you know, like the people are sort of understanding, you know, what kind of power they can wield.
Speaker 3: One said quote.
Speaker 4: I also share the sentiment, and I'm very glad that so many women are deciding to embark on a journey that will lead them to freedom that they could not have imagined. And you know they're saying like it's not they'ren't saying it's not merely just like sort of a complete saying like men are banned forever, but to truly look inward to what your values are and understanding how you want that reflected back to a partner. But yeah, for like the right wing crowd, they're just the response is just from like like you know, you can already you can already imagine how right wing men are responding to people saying that like they will exercise agency over their bodies.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So speaking of Trump, his cabinet appointments seem to be pulling from just like his friends, just like a group of people who have been in headlines with him in the past two months, you know, like it's like Matt Gates as Attorney General, Christy Nome for the Department of Homeland Security of Fox News host as is it, Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Pete Hegseth is the Secretary of Defense, the guy who we've talked about before who's like, I don't wash my hands, Like yeah, like why why don't have to? It doesn't even matter. Uh, He's I mean, historically the most fucking uni unqualified person for that, Like people even like Republican centers, like what the fuck, dude, Like the entire war machine apparatus. But again, when you couple that with things like they're trying to create a way to purge generals to sort of you know, control the military just full stop in line with their own ideology, this makes sense because most of these appointments, you're like, what the fuck, Like Tulsi Gabbard as like DNI. These are all people who have been so loyal to Donald Trump. They are being repaid with these positions, but I don't think for a second that they're being actually picked because he's like the best secretary of Defense is Pete Hegseth. It's that I need husks of people in these positions that seem like they have the agency and decision making power of a cabinet position, but really they're completely willing to just be to say, like I have this title, yeah, yeah, whatever Trump wants. That's really what's happening because yeah, I mean like.
Speaker 1: It's not even the pretense of like competence or meritocracy now, because like the first administration in the bar was like you can't have said something bad about me, right, and now it's you have to have said such unaccountably like good things about me out of line with reality that it made headlines like that. That seems to be where we're at, which is like, you know, a smaller and smaller group.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, truly a degree, right, so you can be I feel.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, but it was mostly like I was doing like car accidents and stuff like.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll do it I'll do it.
Speaker 2: I'll do it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I have my own cases that I'm trying to avoid, So yeah, it would be great if I could run the Department of Justice. And I mean, like you know, you you hear it at every level, people at these departments who are completely like I, we have no idea what kind of like retribution we're going to face, how how fucking intense.
Speaker 3: These purges are going to be. But a lot of people are saying like, it looks like there's yeah, a lot of a lot of loyalists being put in and you see people be.
Speaker 4: Like, well, at least they're like an idiot, So like I'd rather have an idiot in there than like some like true like you.
Speaker 3: Know, mega brained, evil person.
Speaker 4: But again, I think I think the point here is just to have these people there because they're not like they have their own ideas of what they want to do with these and they can't just put like you know, the people from the Heritage Foundation in these positions. They're just going to be like, yeah, you'll do that, and then we'll just tell you what to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just fucking frightening.
Speaker 1: And then of course we have RFK Junior with all the has he officially been named to anything yet, no, no one thing. He might not have gotten the memo of like how these positions are like who's getting hired? Because he re recently said that the food he's observed Donald Trump eating is quote just poison.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he said that the KFC and Big Max were the healthiest things Trump.
Speaker 5: Eat, which I was picking.
Speaker 1: He was saying that just poison. I was like, Oh, he must have seen him eating McDonald's and KFC. He was like, that's the good part. The rest of the stuff I consider kind of inedible, because he was, yeah, what is he eating?
Speaker 4: He said, it's just like really really bad because he said he's quote never seen Trump drink a glass of water.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dana White told him he's never seen Trump drink a glass of water, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh. I was like, yeah, uh y'all.
Speaker 3: Also, if that's the healthiest, then what is he eating? Just like lard? Yeah, I can't out of a like Crisco by the handful.
Speaker 1: For most people, those are the like lower, those are the like, ah, you know, cheat day. The worst thing I'm gonna eat on my cheat day is KFC is Big Max. I didn't know like KFC r FKFC.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it got worse than that. But so, like, is he eating like kitchen sponges? Like when he's like inedible, Like what specifically does he mean? Ye, kind of curious.
Speaker 4: It's probably like like pasteurized milk or something. It's like, oh my god, yeah, you're not drinking raw milk.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's just RFK because of RFK is like weird belief. Yeah, He's like, well, it's good he hasn't drank water because then he'd have the mind control fluoride in his brain. Right, that's actually the reason he's able to lead us out of this mental prison.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just curious what he hasn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Who knows.
Speaker 4: By the time this episode comes out, he could fully be in charge of whatever organization and it's fully the nightmare come true. I mean, either way, he's the things he's saying he's going to do to whatever office he's appointed to are disturbing, Like whether it's the NIH and he's like I'll get rid of all the scientists or like that, you know, whatever it is. He's like, no, no, no, it's just whatever my vibes are is what I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to have to unleash on the country. Yeah, but who knows.
Speaker 4: I mean, Trump also has a knack for completely, you know, betraying people that helped him, So I don't know, maybe he'd maybe he didn't, Maybe he doesn't like this new article that came out, and maybe he.
Speaker 5: Stopped talking shit. Bro, it's really going to be like that.
Speaker 1: There's lots of ancient literature about and like plays and stuff about like the dynamics of like people in royal courts like backstabbing each other and because at a time when it's a monarchy, the only thing that matters is like getting the favor of the one person, and that shit all sounds boring and can be really really boring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, I feel like it's gonna be chaos either like whether these people do just make their own fucking terrible decisions or you can also just see too, you know, like in any job, when you see someone you get passed up for a promotion and.
Speaker 2: You're like that, yeah, yeah for real.
Speaker 3: That then then that starts.
Speaker 4: You get now you get the weird palace intrigue kind of shit, and the people start factioning off and tear each other down.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: It's every pick has been absolutely mind blowing merely because I had to like adjust what I thought was absolute bottom of the barrel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as we do with our with fast food, so we have to do with just the people running the most powerful military and economy in the world. We have to readjust our idea of how bad it can be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well, look, this all be part of a process where we're gonna have.
Speaker 3: To figure out how we push back on it all because it's I mean, it's.
Speaker 4: The experiment has begun and I and I get all the gallows humor, and it's just kind of hard to sort of like see it all but then also be like, but no, that that joke could be our reality, and that's what's really disorienting about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that's gonna do it for us this afternoon.
Speaker 5: We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, you get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy.
Speaker 5: And we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,