Speaker 1: This podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Steve Rinella, Clay Newcombe, Brent Reeves, Hunter Spencer, Jason Phelps, Paul Lewis, Dave Smith, and Brad Cochrane. This is a ten round quizz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing Now, Dave and Brad, this is your first time playing Meat Eater Trivia. How do you think you're gonna do?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna bomb you think so?
Speaker 3: My confidence is at an all time low.
Speaker 2: Okay, this reminds me of like high school report.
Speaker 3: Let's do the next morning, and I have been checking traps all.
Speaker 2: Morning so.
Speaker 4: That it could help you in this game.
Speaker 3: Though it could help well, the thing is like I might know the answer, but I will just freaking lock up and panic, like when I can't remember like my uncle's name or something. You know, I'm just like, but you know what I'm gonna get through it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Before the show, I was saying Dave didn't have much confidence, and he said I was giving him too much credit. He has zero confidence, is what he's declared.
Speaker 5: Brad.
Speaker 2: How you think you're gonna do a meat eatter Trivia topic is hunting, fishing, conservation, cooking?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Okay, Well in that case, I might do Okay.
Speaker 5: I was worried you were.
Speaker 6: Going to say, like, we're going to talk about Einstein's theory of relativity or something which cape So I probably wouldn't do so well.
Speaker 2: I'd be satisfied if I could figure out a way to ask that question. It's not in today's round, but yeah, maybe maybe someday.
Speaker 1: I could fit that air enough.
Speaker 2: Paul, did you ever think about naming your company the Paul Lewis Gear like Phelps and Dave here?
Speaker 5: Did we had this conversation earlier? You did?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: We we FHF.
Speaker 6: I wish I would have thought that through something a little easier to pronounce.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, each week here on Trivia, we reveal a new stat for the stat of the week. This week we're looking at the prevalence of the name David Smith in America. David Smith is the second most popular full name in the United States. Do you have any guesses as to what is first? That's not it, any other guesses as to what the first most popular name is? You have Smith? Right, really, George, No, James Smith is the most popular full name. So you guys flirted with the right answer reading' quit get it. It's estimated there are forty two thousand David Smith's living in America right now. That means you could take every David Smith in the country, sell out Wrigley Field with just David Smith's and still have enough David Smith's left over to play a baseball game against each other.
Speaker 5: You can page David Smith, Dave.
Speaker 2: How many Daves mist you know?
Speaker 3: I know, I know a couple for sure even now, which was cool. But I just remember my best friend in grade school's name was Tim Jones. And we'd like get caught, you know, climbing up on top of the roof or something like that, and they'd catch us and they said, what are you guys' names? We'd be like, Dave Smith, Tim Jones, and like, what.
Speaker 5: Are your real names?
Speaker 1: Alias? Smith and Jones?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Smith and Jones. And also on the show, we have an Infrequently Asked Question segment where we answer fan questions about Trivia. This week, our question comes from Clay Newcombe. Clay, what's your question?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, there's a lot of stuff thrown around about, like who's the best at this game? You know, like wins, losses all this?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: I I I'm interested in percentage of wins per times you've been in the game.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: And I think I've got a shot.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you the answer off the top of my head. I've covered it before. But Clay, your top three, you're like right there.
Speaker 4: I feel like I went a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Clay does very well. He also doesn't play that again like no credit, We give you your credit. Another strong performer who doesn't play out and off is Tony Peterson. You and Tony both do well. We could use more Clay and more Tony.
Speaker 4: On if Steve and Brody aren't here, I have a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right up there.
Speaker 5: You told me.
Speaker 4: Spencer told me early on. He just nailed that. He was like, Clay, your weakness is cooking, Yeah, and fishing, two weaknesses.
Speaker 1: I've seen you cook.
Speaker 2: Only half the game. I agree, only half the game is his weakness. Now, for the housekeeping portion of today's show, I want to have Steve share a story that I heard at his birthday party over the weekend. One of Steve's old college roommates explained how Steve developed a full proof way from of keeping a house party from getting busted by the cops. And while Steve has contributed many great things to the hunting and fishing community, I'm convinced this will be his greatest contribution of all. Steve tell folks that story.
Speaker 5: It started out where we were coming back from fishing steel Head on the Pire Marquette River and someone in front of us hit a deer, and I kept the deer and took it back. I was living, I was in school and living in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was late it was later in the year, maybe late May.
Speaker 1: Early June, I can't quite remember.
Speaker 5: Or it might have been like now and then you'd get some chinook up in I can't we're fishing the PM because now then you get some chinook in that river. You'd get chinnook sometimes in July, which is weird. Either way, we're fishing that river. That makes more sense either way. Guy hits a deer and get I'd take the deer and I'd take it back. And I was living in a kind of flophouse, like none of the people in the house were on the lease, and none of the people in the house even really knew who the house is rented from. It's just people rotated in and out. And I was on an in rotation. And it was friends of mine that lived there. And we had an idea we were going to take the deer I had and sew cut it up and sew it into a pig and have a pig roast. And somehow I found out that you could do a block party. You could a family reunion, could block the road off for some roads. So I registered a family reunion under an alias that I still use, David Smith. No No, And sure enough the cops came.
Speaker 2: Like, what was the scene of this place? Like how many kids were there?
Speaker 5: I assumed way over one hundred.
Speaker 2: A lot of people were there broad daylight.
Speaker 5: We had a big sign that said the blank blank family reunion, and and and lo and behold, the cops did show up. We did tell them, oh, it's our family reunion.
Speaker 4: Well that's then the punchline of the whole thing is you saying that a cops never break up a family reunion. Yeah, that was the funny part.
Speaker 5: And then you and my buddy remembers that when the cop did come, the cop observed that I think my brother's in.
Speaker 2: There, and then he said, well you must know so and so as part of the family. That's that's Uh, that's an incredible story, uh, Steve.
Speaker 5: So in registering your family reunion party, no one actually does any research to find out if, in fact they take you at face value when you tell them that you're having a family reunion and that you need to block your road off.
Speaker 2: That is uh, that is something that's going to be used on college campuses around the country. Uh this spring, Steve. It's a great piece of advice. Now, the Shelby Index for today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything.
Speaker 1: I'll say, just tend to win everything.
Speaker 5: Game on Suckers.
Speaker 2: Question one, the topic is conservation. In this will be multiple choice, which of these endangered space what do you got?
Speaker 5: You should tell everybody about how what we did with what we did at the in Portland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so our one hundredth episode came out. We tried a new style of meat eat or trivia that we're referring to his meat pool, where I survey hunters and anglers and they answer a question one of two ways, and then the people in here predict their answers. We did this at the Portland PNW Sportsman Show, where I walked around and I surveyed over one hundred people who were attending this event. Ask some questions like do you believe in Bigfoot? Does your hunting dog sleep in bed? Would you rather be attacked by an alligator or a mountain lion? The most stunning piece of data we gathered, I think, was do you believe in Bigfoot?
Speaker 5: Well Spencer without realizing it, or maybe with realizing it, was doing his survey in very close proximity to the Bigfoot booth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been to there was a Bigfoot believer booth.
Speaker 5: There's a Bigfoot believer bun. So he comes back, He's like, forty percent of people believe in Bigfoot.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: I'm like, yeah, at the Bigfoot go to.
Speaker 1: The other side of the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been to like a half dozen of these types of shows. I've never seen booth space dedicated to bigfoot, but the Portland show had one. Now, also, mind you, Washington leads the country in Bigfoot sightings. It's just a it's just a bigfooty area. But forty one percent of people at this event who were buying calls from Jason Phelps and buying gear from Paul and Dave Smith decoys, they believed in Bigfoot.
Speaker 4: Forty one How many people were joking when they said it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's the opposite way Clay people would like. They were kind of bashful about saying that they did believe in Bigfoot. Depending on who was around him, they'd be like, yeah, mark me down, or the like kind of they'd I who could hear their answer? And they they would say.
Speaker 5: Yes, Well that's why that's why Trump pulled low in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 5: People didn't want to talk about they didn't want to fight about it. Well, so later when they're like, how were the poles so wrong? A lot of people were like, I feel like arguing about it, lest act like I like someone I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Meanwhile, I learned that eight percent of people there believed that the moon landing was faked, which is lower than the national average. But they they far exceed the amount of people who believe in Bigfoot. So they have their conspiracy theory and that's Bigfoot. But don't bother asking about a moon landing. They don't buy it. Question one the topic is conservation. This is multiple choice. Which of these endangered species has the highest population in the wild? Is it blue whales, California condors, red wolves, or blackfooted ferrets? Which of these endangered species has the highest population in the wild? Your four choices? Blue whales, California condors, red wolves, blackfooted ferrets. Now, Dave, you were quick to answer, is that just to like get it over with? Or do you know this one?
Speaker 1: It was to get it over with?
Speaker 5: Okay, Dave, give me a little peak what you got by.
Speaker 2: Steve agrees uh waiting on Hunter and Jason. Blue whales, California condors, red wolves, blackfooted ferrets? Which of those has the highest population in the wild. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Dave saying blue whales, Paul saying blue whales, Brent saying blackfooted ferrets, and he drew us a raccoon looking blackfooted ferret. Phelps saying what.
Speaker 4: Mascot?
Speaker 2: Phelps saying blackfooted ferrets, Hunter saying blue whales, Clay saying blue whales, Brad saying blackfooted ferrets, Steve saying blue whales. The correct answer is blue whales. Yes, about half of you got that right. It's estimated that in the wild there are thirty five red wolves, three hundred and fifty California condors, four hundred and fifty blackfooted ferrets, and fifteen thousand blue whales.
Speaker 5: Blue whales is one of those ones that they put on the that they give endangered species protection too, because they feel like it ought to be It's like with the new wolverine one. Sure they feel like it ought to be endangered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of ocean critters are given a little more leeway out of there.
Speaker 5: Like I wish it was endangered because it'd be sweet if we could put it on the endangered species list.
Speaker 2: The greatest threats to blue whales or vessel strikes, entanglement and fishing gear, pollution, and ocean noise. Blue whale populations are on the rise, and biologists are starting to see them return to places they were once extirpated. Let's go Question two. The topic is biology. This next great question comes to us via David Escobales. This eight letter word is defined as quote the hard upper shell of a turtle or crustacean. Steve knows it, okay, he's doing the Hangman method.
Speaker 1: The question.
Speaker 2: This eight letter word is defined as the hard upper shell of a turtle or crustation.
Speaker 5: You have to spell it right.
Speaker 2: You don't have to spell it right, but I hope you have eight letters.
Speaker 5: I think that anything that has to do with how you spell it should be spelled right.
Speaker 2: Not We're not gonna We're not gonna make you a genre of question just spelling.
Speaker 5: No, be like a type of question, how do you spell and then give a biological term.
Speaker 2: We did that once. It was we did the winning word from the Kids Spelling Bee, which was more hen, which is a way to describe a cout. We had you spell more hen. It's the only time in meat eater history we've now had like eleven hundred questions, the only time we're spelling has mattered. Here's the question again. This eight letter word is defined as quote, the hard upper shell of a turtle or crustacean who thinks they have it right. The room does not look confident.
Speaker 5: Letters are you writing top shell?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, eight letter word. Steve is the only one who asked any confidence.
Speaker 1: Everybody got it right?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's everybody ready. Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: Can I get extra question the bottom?
Speaker 2: No, we have Dave saying turtle house, Paul without an answer, Brent saying epic crust. Oh wow, that was a good answer, Phelps without an answer, Hunters saying mollusk, Clay saying exoskeleton he ran a few words over a few letters over Brad without an answer, or Brand saying exoshell. Steve saying therapist, Steve got it The correct answer carapis The carapace is the exoskeleton on the dorsal side of a turtle, while the plast drown is the shield on the ventral side. Typically, a male's plas drown will be concave and a female's plastern will be convex, which helps them during breeding. Also, a female's plastern is usually muted in color, which is one of the best ways to identify the sex of a turtle. Question so If you look at the bottom of a turtle shell, if it's very vibranting color, that's likely a male. If it's very muted in color, that's likely a female. Now you can go out there sex and turtles. Well, you know it's not like that.
Speaker 5: Somewhere that no.
Speaker 2: I read that, just like a blue crab's got the blue bottom.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Question three. Question three, the topic is foraging. What vulgar name is often used to describe half free morale mushrooms? The room is stumped. The topic is foraging. What vulgar name is often used to describe half free moral mushrooms?
Speaker 4: Half free?
Speaker 2: Half free?
Speaker 4: To describe what that means.
Speaker 2: Not gonna help you out? Half free is what some folks would refer to this type of mushroom. But there's a vulgar nickname that goes along with it. What vulgar?
Speaker 7: What if I had a moral like like uh, like, like, who's the guy from you know, the guy from Tennessee that wouldn't fight in World War two?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Mm hm, So you know the answer, you're saying.
Speaker 4: I know the answer, but I have moral obligations to saying that. I'd like the point you can handle down I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but what would it be below? You Clay to write it down? If I guess? It depends how vulgar it is, right, it depends, Steve, you have this one right. You're the only one who's come up with an I probably got it. Okay, what vulgar name is often used to describe half free morel mushrooms. This may stump the room. This is question three.
Speaker 5: It's gonna with something vulgar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good strategy.
Speaker 5: If I's gonna write the worst thing you can think of, that's a good strategy.
Speaker 4: Where I'm at is, I'm not even wanting to explore. I'm like because I mean, like, what am I gonna write?
Speaker 5: Your mom would want you to win by so it's like here we go. She would wait if you don't do it out of respect for your upbringing and let your mind down by.
Speaker 2: Losing, It's okay, sweetie, way, who would you donate to if you won? The Western Bear Federator?
Speaker 4: I have donated to them before? And to how do it for them?
Speaker 2: Think about all those bears, all that bad legislation, and then write down a bad.
Speaker 5: Word, and then think about you sitting.
Speaker 8: Healthy population of bears above you.
Speaker 2: Everybody have an answer now, Brent, It's like a level of vulgar where I'm comfortable reading it on the podcast. Uh so yeah, maybe use that for your judge.
Speaker 1: My wife watches this show.
Speaker 8: Okay, can I can I just say, like from like a scale from one to ten on a vulgar scale, it's like a two.
Speaker 2: Okay, everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 5: We have Dave saying.
Speaker 2: I'll skip Dave turtlehead. That just be a little treat for the YouTube body. They can see Dave's answer. Brent saying lo and behold, Phelps saying nome, Dick Hunter saying bastard, which is that's like on the right level of thinking, Clay saying the female name for a dog.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, actually, any I mean it was arbitrary.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brad saying like that, Steve saying pecker heads. Steve got it. The correct answer is peckerhead or dog pecker mush?
Speaker 4: Did you I was not thinking that word. There was a joke.
Speaker 2: Pecker Head morales are edible, but resemble some lookalikes that are toxic. Pecker Heads smell and taste like moreles and can be cooked in a similar fashion. They tend to have a longer stem than morales, with the top of the cap being connected directly to the stem. Pecker Heads are a good indicator that you're in the right area at the right time to find morales. Steve, So you knew that one. Have you seen pecker heads out in the wild? Have you ever picked them and eaten them? You haven't? You just stay away from from peckerhead mushrooms.
Speaker 5: Uh, I'm familiar with them, but I had them lumped under the fallsies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably that's a safe way to forage. But if you knew what you were looking at, you could take a pecker head.
Speaker 5: To make a little knock.
Speaker 2: I don't think I was.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, yeah, but if you knew what you were looking.
Speaker 5: Question four.
Speaker 2: The topic is hunting. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Andrew Washburn for setting this great question. Andrew is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. The topic is hunting. What Greek hunter can be seen in the night sky aiming a bow at a bowl? Brent and Paul, they know this one. Steve looks confident as well. What Greek hunter can be seen in the night sky aiming a bow at a bull? Brent, you have this one right?
Speaker 1: If that's a toss up between two? Okay?
Speaker 2: Are you disappointed in Clay for not having an answer yet? I think Clay is disappointed in Clay. What Greek hunter can be seen in the night sky aiming a bow at a bowl?
Speaker 4: I have no idea about how to spell what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: There's a hint. Steve is just gonna keep the perfect game going. Do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I think I got her.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't have any trouble spelling it, so it's probably wrong.
Speaker 4: That's helpful.
Speaker 5: You guys want to buy, said man. I can't even We were talking about AI and he goes, I can't even barely spell AI.
Speaker 2: Claim, Brent, you got any more hints to trade each other here?
Speaker 1: No, we got it. We should have. We should have talked earlier.
Speaker 5: Come up with your hands on check this out. Uh my buddy, uh the blue collar scholar Tommy Hudson, He doesn't live in a cold climate. But he was over here in Montana and he texted me. He says, how do you people deal with the pissars on your windshield wipers freezing up? And I said, well, you gotta buy really low temp fluid. He started thinking he was gonna dump a bottle of cheap vodka in there, and he went into the store and instead of buying like some schmirnav or Popov or something, it occurred to him to put some isopropa alcohol okay in there. And he swore that that fixed the problem.
Speaker 1: It did it?
Speaker 2: Maybe it created another problem though.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm waiting to hear.
Speaker 2: Flammable, Does everybody have an answer for the Greek hunter that can be seen in the night sky aiming a bow at a bull. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Dave saying Dimitri, Paul sang Oriyan, Brenton sang Nimrod, Phelps.
Speaker 5: Sang Socrates Socrates, wrong.
Speaker 2: Hunter sang Apollo, Clay sang Poseidon, Brad saying Zeus, Steve sang Oriyan. The correct answer is Oriyan. We had Dave and Steve and Paul. I'm sorry Paul and Steve, get that one right. That was the other one you were, but.
Speaker 1: I decided to get it because I kept thinking Orion's belt for some reason.
Speaker 5: What's weird is he's packing a bowl, but he's got a sword too.
Speaker 2: Some cultures depict him is holding a shield instead of a bow, and then he's got a sword or a club. I like the bow version of it.
Speaker 5: I think he's got a fish bonker.
Speaker 2: Oh, there you go. According to Greek mythology, Oriyan was a legendary hunter who was banished to the sky for boasting about how many animals he could kill. Now, he and his two hunting dogs eternally chase Taurus the Bull, but are never able to catch him. Oriyan can be used for navigation in the Northern hemisphere by looking at his belt, which roughly runs east to west. Question five, the topic is geared what state is the Great American outdoor show held in? That's a real give me this will be a bone to our I don't know. Maybe if you like own a business that makes outdoor gear, this potentially help you state.
Speaker 1: We shouldn't get this wrong.
Speaker 5: A bone to the whole room.
Speaker 4: But if you can't spell the state, don't give it.
Speaker 2: Hit. There's a there's a little hint from Clay Brandt has a blank board right now and a blank stare what state is the Great American Outdoor Show held in? This is question five?
Speaker 5: Will think what's the greatest American state?
Speaker 1: It's going to Arkansas.
Speaker 4: I didn't know they had that in Arkansas.
Speaker 5: Like, when you think of America, what state pops in your mind?
Speaker 2: The Great American Outdoor Show.
Speaker 1: I'm going back with my original.
Speaker 2: It is. Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Dave saying Illinois, Paul saying Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: Brands your eyes and think of America Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: No, Brent's saying Massachusetts, Phelps saying Pennsylvania, Hunter, Clay Brad and Steve saying Pennsylvania. They got it. The correct answer is Pennsylvania. The nine day event wrapped up in early February. The Great American Outdoor Show is the world's largest outdoor expo. It's estimated that over two hundred thousand people attended the event to see over one thousand exhibitors. The show has been held in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, since nineteen fifty six.
Speaker 5: That's where I met Buck Bowden.
Speaker 2: Oh, you guys just hit it off. There you are today with that big old moose upstairs. Now that was all bad. Okay, Buck doesn't get in credit for that big old moose. How many you guys been to the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg. I've never been, Stevehen, Brad, that's it. Okay, Phil, we're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a or board update.
Speaker 8: Sure thing, Brent, I'm so sorry, big old goose egg. You've yet to make.
Speaker 1: Than a normally dude.
Speaker 8: Jason, Dave and Brad I'll have one point apiece, Hunter, Spencer and Clayon. You cam have two. Paul Lewis has three and in first place with the perfect game. It's Stephen renea.
Speaker 2: Perfect game for Steve. Question six, the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Dustin Bins. The furthest inland. This fish has ever been documented in North America is near Alton, Illinois, on the Mississippi River. The topic is fishing. The furthest inland. This fish has ever been documented in North America is near Alton, Illinois, on the Mississippi River.
Speaker 4: You're looking for a lot of specificity here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, if you think the answer is white tail deer. You need to say white tail deer.
Speaker 5: I would put that down.
Speaker 4: What if we just said dear.
Speaker 2: That would not be good enough because you need you need to put white tail here, Paul, Stephen clay or quick to answer, Clady, you know this one.
Speaker 4: I'm like eighty five percent eighty.
Speaker 2: You didn't just write down deer.
Speaker 5: That's right, Okay, Dave, can I have that decoy right there?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: What's special about that one?
Speaker 4: That's a truth.
Speaker 5: It's nice and I like to stand.
Speaker 4: Seven eight strut.
Speaker 2: It's hard to walk in this room without kicking a decoy at this point.
Speaker 4: Hey, though, the room looks really good since the last time I've been here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, we got a lot of work doing. Bill want Bhil wants to paint the whole thing. Really, you don't like the white? Me and Phil?
Speaker 4: Yeah, white white. Yeah, it's kind of bright.
Speaker 1: We're gonna roll it with a roller.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the question getting color.
Speaker 1: Okay, suck.
Speaker 4: It was darker, be a little warmer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm thinking like like a dark like forest green, like a dark blue.
Speaker 5: What I might might I'll think about having a sign up where you can volunteer to come. It's gonna be called paint with Stephen Film. Yeah, and HR be the thing you sign up on an HR. But you have to be like a sandwich. No, just come and help take ship down, paint, hang stuff back.
Speaker 8: Yeah, me and Me and Steve are gonna be like Tom Sawyer.
Speaker 4: We could do it in a half day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We'll be like.
Speaker 5: I don't know, man, I don't know if I want you painting the walls and here you'd be like, come on, dude, let me pay.
Speaker 4: You need a mural, Steve, a mural of what I mean, just to something really cool. I'm a big mural guy.
Speaker 2: Because the question one more time, This is question six. The furthest inland this fish has ever been documented in North America is near Alton, Illinois, on the Mississippi River. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Dave saying Atlanta salmon, Paul saying Baskins shark, Brent saying Asian carp Phelps saying swordfish, Hunters saying channel cat, Clay saying tiger shark, Brad saying bull shark, Steve saying bull shark. We have a correct answer in the room. It's bull shark. Steve and Brad. That's the bull shark was caught about one thousand miles from the Gulf of Mexico by two commercial fishermen in nineteen thirty seven. They noticed their mesh nets were getting raided by a large predator, so they built a wire trap and baited it with chicken guts. What they expected to be a musky turned out to be a bull shark that was five feet long and eighty pounds. For more on this story, read my article in the Mediator dot com called could there actually be bull sharks in the Midwest?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: Question man.
Speaker 5: I knew the story, but I didn't know it was in the thirties.
Speaker 2: Nineteen thirty seven. There's even photographic evidence. Otherwise probably we wouldn't be verified the way it is Question seven. The topic is hunting. What migratory bird goes by nicknames such as tar bellies and giggle chickens? What migratory bird goes by nicknames such as tar bellies and giggle chickens? This is question seven. This may ruin Steve's perfect game. He has not picked up his whiteboard yet. What migratory bird goes by nicknames such as tar bellies and giggle chickens. We have Brad and Dave, who appear to be confident Hunters joining them. Now, Clay, you feel good about your answer.
Speaker 4: I'm a little gunshot after bullshit.
Speaker 2: Arkansas probably has all kinds of things you guys call giggle chickens.
Speaker 1: Be my guess most of them are relatives. It's a good one.
Speaker 2: Brent Man got a good game going. Have you come up with an answer yet? Okay, Steve doesn't like what he wrote down. This is question seven. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 5: I'm sure I'm gonna be Steve.
Speaker 2: Is not ready.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna get it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Dave saying pacific white front speckle belly, Paul saying goose. Brent sang speckle belly geese, Phelps without an answer, Hunter saying speckle belly, Clay saying speckle belly goose, Brad saying white fronted goose, Steve saying lune. The correct answer is speckle belly geese or greater white fronted geese. The room did very well really rubbing it into Steve. Not get that one right.
Speaker 8: Really quick. Apologies who wrote white fronted.
Speaker 2: Geese, Brad and Dave. They got that right. Other nicknames for speckle bellies include specs, bar bellies, laughing geese, and white front's. They're known for their distinctive salt and pepper markings on their breast, as well as their high pitched he he cackle. The only banded bird I ever shot was a speckle belly in South Dakota, which was banded in the Arctic Circle. Dave Smith makes tarbelly decoys, but they're currently out of stock.
Speaker 1: Man. We hunt them just like ducks back home. I mean they'll work in the decoys just like ducks will.
Speaker 2: Now, imagine if you had some Dave Smith decoys murder that to paint them blaze, aren't they wouldn't stand a chance? Do you guys sell a lot of speckle belly decoys? Is that like a very very niche market or bigger than you think?
Speaker 6: Always saw a lot of them. Yeah, they're popular in the South in California, but there are a lot of late spec seasons now throughout the Midwest and in Northwest, and a lot of guys will freelance in Canada where.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of specs so and just.
Speaker 6: For the record, I didn't put greater white front of goose.
Speaker 5: Because there's also a lesser Mmmm. They're found in Europe.
Speaker 2: You got that one, right, though, Steve. Do you feel how do you feel about not getting that one?
Speaker 5: Man? Like, I didn't really know what to put down?
Speaker 2: Did you humunculus know?
Speaker 5: No? And then but what I did know was that these boys answered it so fast. I was like, it's definitely something they hunt, uh huh. And then I just kind of clammed up went.
Speaker 2: With a lu question eight. The topic is cooking.
Speaker 6: You're saying you thought that we hunt loons.
Speaker 5: No, No, I knew I was wrong, And like how cockly they answered it. I was like, it's like they're definitely intimate. They're intimate. They're like, oh yeah, So I knew it wasn't a lune question, not intimate with loons, but there's just like a cockiness.
Speaker 1: I picked up.
Speaker 2: The topic is cooking. This next great question is via Tony Estrata. What's the sixth letter name of the bowl used for crushing and grinding ingredients for food and cocktails? What's the sixth letter name of the bowl used for crushing and grinding ingredients for food and cocktails. The room looks very confident. We will get a scoreboard update from Filled the engineer after this. This is question eight. Tron Phelps.
Speaker 5: There's it's very clearly explained, but I don't know if I knew which ones which.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, he's encountered potential trick.
Speaker 5: Just helped me, so I don't. It's like like I was saying it. If you're saying something you know it or else you can't say it. I was gonna be saying it. I feel like it was dug out of me there.
Speaker 2: We waterboarded, Jason.
Speaker 5: I felt like I was call I was thinking what you just said, Like.
Speaker 4: No, probably switched mine and got it wrong, I hope.
Speaker 2: So yeah, for the record, Clay did change his answer.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: On what Jason said.
Speaker 5: I feel like I could get out of this in court.
Speaker 2: Is the question again? What what's the sixth letter name of the bowl used for crushing and grinding and green?
Speaker 4: I think you've got anything to be afraid of losing this game?
Speaker 2: Is it is? Everybody ready? I think you're closer than anything. Clay, go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Dave saying COLEMI Paul saying pestle, Brent saying pestel, Phelps saying pestel, Hunter saying mortar, Clay saying mortar, Brad without an answer, Steve saying mortar. The correct answer is mortar. I'm going to have to is that? Is that how you spell that? Indeed, I've I've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: That's that's for Spanish speakers.
Speaker 5: But also you see it used when I google your big old batch of guacamole. You're not using a mortar and pestle using the same thing. But it's a com is.
Speaker 2: It a camille? No, you're gonna have the point, Dave. I'm not that passion. My goo is yielding nothing we have.
Speaker 1: On at our house.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know how I spell it. The pestle is the grinding club, while the mortar is the bowl. The oldest known pestle and mortar was found in Southwest Asia, dates back to thirty five thousand BC. Most early examples are small and handheld, but some versions that date back to ten thousand BC are big enough for a person to stand inside of. One of those large mortars from a cave in Israel is believed to be a spot where humans crushed cereal grains to brew beer. Phil, we have two questions left. Give us a leader board update.
Speaker 8: I'll just cut to the chase and say that Stephen Rinella is the winner.
Speaker 2: Two questions left.
Speaker 8: We're gonna side schedule here, but yeah, we've got yeah, the next person back. Clay and Hunter have four points apiece. They're in second place.
Speaker 4: Battlegrounds over here.
Speaker 2: Question nine, The topic is natural history. This history. This next great question is via Nate Parcel. This Native American tribe, which is part of the Iroquoi nation, has a hairstyle named after it. Question nine, topic is natural history. We have a confident looking room. This Native American tribe, which is part of the ero Coi nation, has a hairstyle named after it. Phelps you have this one right?
Speaker 4: No, I was gonna I was going for the joke, just real quick, and then realize I probably might.
Speaker 1: Know the answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, Clay, you know this one.
Speaker 4: I mean I think so, Okay, I really lost my confidence.
Speaker 2: Came in here talking about your great percentage of wins, and you let Steve take the victory with two questions.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think I've ever beat Steve maybe once. Wow, But when he's not here. I think that's when I show up.
Speaker 2: All right, here's the question one more time. This Native American tribe, which is part of the ero Coi nation, has a hairstyle named after it. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Dave saying mohawk, Paul saying mohawk. The entire room said mohawks. The entire room got it right. The correct answer is mohawk. Phelps erased mullet. That was the joke.
Speaker 1: He was going.
Speaker 2: Mullet with mohawk. At the time of European contact, the Mohawk. The Mohawk tribe was present in Vermont, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Quebec, and Ontario. They were the easternmost part of the Iroquois Confederacy. Some historians say the mohawk haircut was an attempt by warriors to make their scalps a more attractive target for their enemies than those of the women and children.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Question ten. The topic is wildlife. What Arizona diamondback pitcher killed a dove with a fastball during a two thousand and one spring training game. Phelps and Brent are very confident hunter's very confident Steve has rolled his marker across the table. Can't come up with a sports ball player. It's a great video, though, you might just see it.
Speaker 4: What what state?
Speaker 2: What Arizona diamondback pitcher killed a dove with a fastball during a two thousand and one spring training game.
Speaker 1: That thing just obliterated. Who was that guy?
Speaker 6: Dave Smith?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's forty two thousand of them to choose from, waiting on Steve to come up with an answer. Clay, you got this one right?
Speaker 4: No, not even close. I just put my favorite picture.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's one way to play. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Dave saying Randy Johnson, Paul without an answer, Brent and Phelps and Hunter sang Randy Johnson, Clay saying Nolan, Ryan Brad saying Randy Johnson, Steve saying James Smith, most popular name in America. The correct answer is Randy Johnson, the Big Unit. Play the video, Phil, did you get right?
Speaker 1: I have probably nicknamed though.
Speaker 2: I love that the crowd even what were the odds?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: Well, you could probably figure it out. You have to figure out how many pitches have ever been thrown and then put a one in front of that number with a colon.
Speaker 2: Johnson was delivering a pitch to home plate when the dove flew in the path of his fastball. The catcher described the scene as quote an explosion. The pitch didn't count, and it's estimated the ball was traveling at one hundred miles per hour when it struck the bird. A similar event happened during a Yankees game in Toronto in nineteen eighty three, when Dave Winfield killed the seagull with a warm up throw. Winfield was initially charged by Toronto police with animal cruelty, but the case was later dropped. Maybe they thought he was doing it on purpose. I don't know. You can't just go out winging fastballs at seagulls on the beach.
Speaker 5: So you know. I met Brian Gumbel a long time ago. Oh, he was telling me how he killed a goose of the golf ball.
Speaker 1: Wow, by accident.
Speaker 4: One of my most.
Speaker 5: No he killed like a goose or a seagull with a golf ball. Golf course.
Speaker 4: One of my most vivid childhood memories. I was on the first grade playground and the second grade playground was over here, separated by like a ditch and I picked up a rock and just chunk this rock into this empty field. There wasn't a child within like fifty yards, and the rock just arches through the air and I see this kid just running. It was like slow motion and he like bam, hits him in the head. Kid goes down.
Speaker 2: Did you fess up?
Speaker 4: Nobody crying? Nobody asked yeah, if there was a I'm sorry, man's out there.
Speaker 2: Uh. Clay was nervous to write down pecker Head on his white board.
Speaker 4: Stony and child, I mean, we're all full of hypocrisy?
Speaker 2: Was our winner? What eight points?
Speaker 5: Steve?
Speaker 2: Yeah, eight points, well done, Steve Clay and Hunter couldn't catch him. What happens now is you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater goes. What's it gonna be for this round?
Speaker 5: I'm trying to think of if I did l a I last time I was down here, or if I did TRCP.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you did NWTF recently?
Speaker 4: Maybe, Hey, what about turkeys for tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Well, here's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go I'm gonna do Theodore Roosevelt Conservation partnership guaranteeing Americans quality places the hunt and fish.
Speaker 1: That's where I'm.
Speaker 2: Going five hundred dollars going TRCP from Steve Vanella and Meat Eater with his eight correct answers. Brad, Dave, thanks for coming and playing. Was was it as bad as you thought?
Speaker 1: Dave? Yep?
Speaker 2: Okay, he's never gonna play again. This is your one opportunity to hear one of the forty two thousand Dave Smith play Meat Eater trivia.
Speaker 5: Brad, how about you?
Speaker 6: Well, what was the final tally?
Speaker 2: You'd have to ask Phil the engineer. Steve win with it, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I you know what, I didn't even mark down the Randy Johnson one because Steve won the game already. So well did you get Randy Johnson?
Speaker 5: Brad?
Speaker 8: I did? Then you got five points?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well done, Brad?
Speaker 5: What place did I get?
Speaker 8: Honestly, you were like tied for second or third?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 8: Yeah, there you get place?
Speaker 5: And what kind of hung in there a little bit?
Speaker 2: Well maybe we'll let you and Dave and Brad team up next time and guys can see Steve, have you ever been defeated?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Many times it happens.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're supposed to say no, and then I could say I almost had him.
Speaker 5: I lose a lot.
Speaker 1: I lose a lot.
Speaker 5: There's a handful of people that beat me a lot, and those are their names are Randall and Brody.
Speaker 2: When you tell the story, though, Brad, you can just tell, yeah, Steve has never lost before.
Speaker 1: He'd like that, I think.
Speaker 2: Join us next time for more meat Eater Trivia, the only game our conservation always winsh