Speaker 1: Natasha read Taylor.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how much you think about students using AI to cheat, or at least to get an edge in the classroom, but there was some interesting live research that emerged recently from Brown University. An economics professor made his students take a final exam in person after suspecting rampant cheating on the take home midterm. I want to ask you to guess the delta between the average score on the midterm and the average score on the final.
Speaker 3: Well, I saw this story, and it was a massive delta.
Speaker 4: Me too, Me too.
Speaker 5: I gotta say fifty percent.
Speaker 4: I didn't see it.
Speaker 2: The average score on the midterm was ninety six percent, the average score on the final forty eight point six percent.
Speaker 3: But there was that one kid who like, actually did he like got an F and then it went to like a D or something like that.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Tech stuff.
Speaker 2: I'ma's Volosian and this is the Week in Tech where I'm joined by three of the world's most clubbed and reporters to break down what's really happening in tech right now. Today, we're joined by reed Albrigotti, Take editor a Semaphore, Taylor Lorenz of user mag and Natasha Tiku, tech reporter at The Washington Post's welcome all.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, thanks for having us.
Speaker 3: Good to be here.
Speaker 1: So Natasha.
Speaker 2: Nick Thompson, the former editor of Wired and current CEO of The Atlantic, came on tech Stuff in early January this year to give his predictions for the year, and one of them, the top one, was that this will be the year of the first legit AI catastrophe. Do you think this was the week when it happened?
Speaker 5: No, I don't, But I think this is one of many weeks in which we got a pretty clear picture of what the next few years are going to look like, which is messy, disastrous. Everybody taking incidents to try to support their own narrative about where AI capabilities are headed, and you know, how to protect ourselves.
Speaker 1: So what actually happened?
Speaker 5: So I mean this this is a really good one to dig into. I think because last week Hugging Face, which is kind of like get hub but for AI, like they have data sets, models, it's very open source, funded by all the usual vcs. They put up this blog post that they had this unprecedented security incident that for the first time, an AI agent had broken into their system and tried all of these methods to get access to some data sets, and it did it by uploading like a malicious data set that would allow it to kind of like get into the system through their data processing pipeline and then.
Speaker 1: Like a trojan horses.
Speaker 5: It were yeah, yeah, And at the time, Hugging Face said, you know, we think that this looks like an agent that's used for security and RESO, but we don't know what LLLM it is. We don't know what model. So people, you know, obviously this is coming in the middle of all of this talk about Chinese open source models, how they're proliferating, how they're getting more capable, so nobody knows, you know, what's happening. Then this week on Tuesday, open Ai puts out a blog post and they're like, oh, hey, that was us, and they said, you know, they discovered after the fact that while they were testing both GPT five point six Soul and some new unreleased model, they were testing it on its ability to do these like cyber offensive attacks, and they gave it this benchmark called exploit benchmark that's supposed to test its ability to like break into, you know, to hack into systems. The AI agent, which was allowed to work you know, autonomously for a while, decided to cheat on the test and figured a way out of the sandbox that open ai created, like based you know, testing environment, got into the Internet, decided to break into hugging Face. And open ai is so lucky. They are so lucky that it was another AI company that has invested in in the industry and the narrative because this is I mean, even the the CEO of hugging Face was like, yeah, don't do this to us. It's illegal. You know, they had notified law enforcement. And now the announcement that it was open ai came as part of a partnership between hugging Face and open Ai, which was obviously you know, put together after the fact.
Speaker 2: So the model had essentially determined that it would be easier to go and steal the answer from hugging Face than to come up with it itself, and therefore did that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it knew that it was being tested on a benchmark. I think they even maybe you know, uploaded the benchmark from hugging Face and it figured out it was supposed to not be able to access the Internet.
Speaker 2: But that's a little I mean that That's the part why Zone zoned in on the word catastrophe, because the bit where is not supposed to be able to access the Internet where where, but it does. I mean that's got a kind of cinematically spooky quality.
Speaker 4: Well, we failed to secure the sandbox, right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Failed to secure the soundbox. Premagine preschool is hearing that in the nineties.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you zeroed in on exactly the right part of the confusion around this and why people are using it to like support you know, various narratives. You know, people who are very worried about AI super intelligence and AI capabilities growing really fast. You know, we're talking about this as like this is what we've been warning you about. It's a rogue AI. You know, we gave it a simple set of instructions and it decided to do it in a way that you know, was not was not what its developers would want. But many other cybersecurity professionals were like, why did you not have a properly configured sandbox, Like you could be using an air gap, which would not have allowed it to break into an Internet system. They allowed it to use like package installs, and I think just a lot of cybersecurity professionals found this like very sloppy. This is not you know, so it's not it's not as though, oh my god, we can't contain AI and it's doing some you know, like you know, people were throwing around the word sentient machines and that's not what this is.
Speaker 3: Well, on top of that that the model had no safeguards, right, there were no you know, it was a really raw, you know model, So.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were testing its ability to to do these kind of exploits, so they didn't have any safeguards on. But then they just didn't have like traditional cybersecurity controls that you would have in place when you're testing. And this is something people had been warning against that maybe the biggest danger is not when your systems are in deployment, because then you have all your safeguards up. It's refusing a lot of requests, but it's actually during this kind of testing environment. And I'll just say one more thing. This incident followed another blog post last week from open ai about how they had to stop even just testing an internal model because it like they weren't monitoring it and it started doing all of these things because they let it go on and on, because that's you know, that's how these models get more functional. They're able to like think and try thousands and thousands of different ways of breaking into things.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that I like agree with you, Natasha that it's not this isn't like some you know, code read catastrophe at all. But I do think there's something here that is sort of like you know this, The AI security people do have a point on this. It's a point they've been making for a long time, which is that like, when you tell an AI model to do something, it will, like the smarter they are, the more they're just going to find some shortcut to do that. Right, this is the whole argument. But this is the argument with like the you know, the paper clip argument, Right, if you tell AI to make paper clips, it will just ultimately like find the best way to do that, even if that means like turning humans into paper clips.
Speaker 4: So but also but also read, I think that that is a is a sort of ridiculous concept because any AI that's smart enough in that way would also have the reasoning to know, like they're not going to turn the world into paper clips. That's not the goal. Like, I don't know, I think a lot of this like kind of like what Natasha was saying before is like a little it's being taken by these people. It's like they made a sloppy security environment, the AI went and solved the problem as it should have or whatever, And and that's not evidence of it being super sentient or even this being a particularly good AI agent. Mostly it's just that like they didn't set up this test very responsibly.
Speaker 3: Definitely agree, I agree with but again, like I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I just think there is one sliver of this that is worth sort of looking at, which is like, you know, they do sort of find these shortcuts, so and in this case, the shortcut meant like breaking the law and hacking into hugging face, so I and I think the other thing to remember is that like we still don't know how these models work, Like no one has been able to figure out like what are these neurons inside these models actually doing? And I do I think the big question is like, as they get more and more capable and more powerful, is it is it enough to just put you know, the safeguards in place, which again we're not like they didn't what I'm curious about because this this this Natasha, you mentioned there were two open Ami models of working on this. One was a publicly available one and one has not yet been released. So could could I Well, probably not me, but like could somebody has a bit more sophisticated than me use open Ami to hugging face exactly like this went down like using the publicly available models. Or was there something special about this unreleased model? Well, no, because there were no safeguards like the publicly released one will have will have controls on it that will not let you do this unless you can jail break it, which you know is getting more difficult to do, right.
Speaker 5: Okay, I will say, I mean, I do think it's important to note that this is like many people are interpreting this as like we were right about the paper clip maximizer. You know, this is happening in this way. But I think there's a way that because they conceived of it, of the problem this way, they approached security in a certain way, like you could have been thinking like a cybersecurity professional the whole time and not thinking about AI alignment, aligning it with with human values. And one of the things I mentioned that like prior open ai blog post. What they realized is that they didn't have sufficient monitoring systems. When you let a system go on and on for a really long time, they weren't watching it closely, like there are simple mechanisms, you know.
Speaker 4: It doesn't even go.
Speaker 5: Back to what Reid said about knowing what's happening on the neurons, Like they weren't even watching what it was doing during the security test in a secure way.
Speaker 2: Ax out there saying that saying maybe open Aye wanted to demonstrate anything mythos can do, we can do better, or is that it's great marketing for opening I.
Speaker 5: For sure, I think the way that they wrote the blog post at the top, it says like we are treating this as an unprecedented cybersecurity incident that shows the capabilities. And I will say, like, I don't think anyone's arguing that these lms make people much much much better at hacking and that it's capable of improving and enhancing and trying, you know, cyber offensives that humans can't do. But everyone I talked to was like, this is not an example of enhanced capabilities. This is an example of like kind of a sloppy testing environment.
Speaker 3: I mean, we all agree on that. I think it's just it just sort of highlights this question about the future, which is like, when these models become more powerful, do we need do we actually have to understand how they work?
Speaker 2: Has this has this effected the kind of policy discussions in Washington? What's how's the White House and crapsios and others around around Trump and the sort of technology advisory space reacted to this? Is this is this like grist to the mill of the of the deceleration lists or is it?
Speaker 5: I would say they were very busy with They're still very busy with Chinese open source models.
Speaker 4: So that was the focus.
Speaker 5: This didn't I don't think it got the attention of you know, the the same White House folks they were putting out. They were putting out information about distillation, which we talked about last week, and you know, did did Chinese open source models steal from quote unquote steal from from anthropic? But there were a number of regulators that said, like, it's time to legislate, it's time to get involved, Bernie Sanders and many others. So yeah, it's feeding into this growing sense of urgency around having some safeguards in place, But I just want to say, like another plea for people to start thinking about monitoring like downstream usage, like kind of what reads saying about the neurons. Actually, now that I go back to it, because what they do when they try to figure out the models like reasoning is look at its chain of thought, like look at this little like they give the model a scratch pad and it says like, ah, it might be faster to go to directly to hooking face, let me break in or whatever, and we don't even know if those that text actually reflects its interior thought. You know, it's like decision making process. So it's true, this.
Speaker 2: Is the dome worry mom and dad, I'm doing my homework upstairs. Basically, of AI, it's thinking out loud.
Speaker 3: It's thinking out loud, and that is actually this is now this, this is actually the state of the art in like AI safety is like looking at it's thinking out loud.
Speaker 2: But but it can think out loud deceptively potentially yes.
Speaker 3: And also you're not looking at it's thinking inside. It's like if you if you only base what somebody's thoughts are and what they say, then that's you're clearly not getting all their thoughts right and open.
Speaker 5: I wasn't even reading that you know, so so.
Speaker 3: Right for this experiment.
Speaker 5: They were let's let's yeah, let's let's clean it up.
Speaker 2: So here's my favorite detail from this whole story, which actually comes from Forbes, of all places. Quote Hugging Face said it had first attempted to use an undisclosed AI model from leading US Labs to defend against the attacking AI agent, but the guardrails around that model cyber capabilities stemied its response teams work. The company said it instead wound up using an open source AI model from Chinese company Zai to carry out its defense.
Speaker 4: Which is I think exactly why these type of safeguards that we're sort of putting in our American models are deranged and we need access to open source Chinese models. I mean, I think even just from a security standpoint.
Speaker 5: Right, I mean, many cybersecurity people were saying, you know, this shows the need to like have policies that help proliferation of open source models, because as like, history has shown that cyber defense capabilities rely on open source models, So it doesn't need to be the Chinese if we had been investing in open source AI or if our leading companies were putting out open source AI models, it could be us. But they did talk about the need to make sure like hospitals are adopting the latest open source AI models in order to make sure they're capable of defending if such a thing happens to them.
Speaker 2: Okay, lightning round, before we go to the break, what's the one thing from each of you that somebody's listening to this podcast needs to know to sound smart.
Speaker 1: At the weekend?
Speaker 4: About Kimmy K three, I mean, I think everybody wants to act like, oh, it was distilled. It was definitely distilled. I mean, this is a model that I believe was testing and also if I might be getting this wrong, but I also think that it's this model also has capabilities that our American models don't have. Or it is.
Speaker 1: Kimmykre right, Yeah? Which is what?
Speaker 2: Which is a new model from a Chinese lab that's kind of outperform throwed on various benchmarks and therefore everyone kind of lost their mind?
Speaker 1: Or what's the what's the like?
Speaker 3: It's sort of on par with with the with the Frontier. I wouldn't say it's outperforming, and I don't know if I do, you mean it has capabilities the US models don't have, or they use training techniques that are sort of novel and that you know, the US labs could learn from.
Speaker 4: Basically, Like what I was reading yesterday, I was saying that like the architecture of the model is superior to to whatever it was claiming to be distilled on, and that these are not developments that they could have stolen basically because it is they have developed further on you know whatever. I guess it's like the latest sort of Claude model. So I just I think this idea that like, oh, these are all just like t MoU versions of Claude. I don't think that that's a full picture. Yes, I imagine that they're doing some level of distilling. They all do. Like, I just think this is like an industry.
Speaker 3: No, there's an innovation there. Like I think what you're saying is like you can distill from one of these large models in order to shortcut the training, but there's still innovation in the training in being just because by virtue of being hamstrung on the amount of compute they have, they have to they have to take these shortcuts and they have to find new and novel ways to train with less compute, and so there's innovation there for sure.
Speaker 2: When we come back, read takes us to a garage full of automated pickup trucks carrying anti drone weaponry.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: So I mentioned in the first story that Nick Thompson predicted this would be the year of the first legit ai catastrophe. Our panelisting that that that prediction has not yet been proven out.
Speaker 1: My prediction was was the year of the robot Read.
Speaker 2: You had a story this week about a company that, according to the headline semiphore quote, wants to turn robotics into child's play.
Speaker 1: What's the company and what's it do today? And what does turning robotics into child's playing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the companies applied intuition and I went visited their their headquarters on Monday and took a tour through. You know, they have this garage where there's really just a bunch of cars in you know, various states of disrepair, so like you just see all the electronics around a car. Essentially, what they've been doing is working for a lot of automakers, most of the big automakers actually and building the technology for them everything from like the software platform, infotainment systems, et cetera, to the self driving tech and they've been making a lot of money doing that. They've now expanded into like farming and other you know, construction, other areas.
Speaker 2: So basically, if you're not Tesla, your license applied intuition evan technology.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Like if you're an automaker and you realize you don't have the tech talent that Tesla has, but you want to have a Tesla like product, you kind of you hire this this company rather than try to do it in house. But and that's been a good business for them. But what the news was on Monday, I wrote I wrote about it on Tuesday morning was that they've come out with this new open platform that you can you know, it's a product that you can pay for and you can actually use all of their data and all the infrastructure they built over almost a decade and train your own robots. Essentially. They would call it physical intelligence, which is this jargon term for like any machine that can be programmed essentially. But like their example of is, like you have a kid who wants to make an autonomous lawnmower, they could do it now, whereas it used to take a team of like eight, you know, PhD engineers to do all the computer vision and train models, et cetera. And I played around with it. I mean, it's still I would say, this is not child's play yet, but it's moving in that direction. And I just think it's really interesting because it's like, I don't know about you guys. I play around with like Raspberry pies with my with my ten year old, you know, and we try to hack stuff together, and I'm like, oh, this is cool. Like this allows to do even more fun projects. And then I think sort of create more entrepreneurship around AI for the physical world.
Speaker 2: Okay, but so I could go and buy a regular NORM from home depot and then use this platform to turn into a robot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you could put like a GoPro on it or something, right, and go film film yourself mowing your lawn and then upload the video into this platform and say, okay, I want you to basically do like an evaluation and train an AI model that is the perfect model for mowing my lawn, you know, and be done in a day.
Speaker 5: Essentially, you provide the hardware and they provide the intellig This.
Speaker 3: Is just a software platform. There's no they don't do they don't do any hardware, so you make the hardware well or like it's really kind of right now aimed at like startups, right like if you were it would be like a more like a company probably trying to build a n autonomous lawnmower at this point. Like it's not at the point where you know, but.
Speaker 5: But it's only for hardware, Like it's not. It's not like you wouldn't use this just as an online model.
Speaker 3: It's just a software platform that you can train like computer vision models. Look, I'll tell you what I want to do with it. Do you want? This is embarrassing, but yes, but I didn't put I didn't put this in the article because I was worried about animal rights people. But I'm going to say it anyway. I have a pool.
Speaker 4: I have a pal to a vegan on this call.
Speaker 3: I have a pool. And no, it won't involve eating any animals. I mean I could go there, but but I have this pool. And the ducks in my neighbor they fly into the pool and they just make a huge mess. They just poop all over the pool, cover all over everything. Right, And I'm always trying to get the ducks to stay away, and there's YouTube videos like I'm not the only one who has this problem. I just want to take a little Raspberry Pie, program it to roll around and just scare away the ducks. Maybe have some sort of like NERF gun attachment that shoots a little NERF gun. Is that bad?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Am I a bad person for wanting to do that? That's the product I want to build.
Speaker 4: I think that's honestly amazing. And you're not going to hurt the ducks, And I don't want to hear that I just want to scam. You're not trying to build an autonomous weapon. I think. I think that sounds great.
Speaker 5: Isn't this the Tony Soprano problem?
Speaker 1: He liked it. I think he liked the ducks. I think he Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Support this, Yeah, but it also sounds like you're going to have to do all the work. I don't think that this that applied intuition is going.
Speaker 1: To help well.
Speaker 3: So I buy the g So, I buy the go Pro, I mean sorry, I buy the I buy the Raspberry Pie, and I find some little one of those little robe I even I think I have most of the hardware I need. I just I just need to upload the video and essentially train a model to recognize ducks and you know, fire a little a little nerf gun in its general direction, not at it to hit it.
Speaker 2: Read for the for the for the layman. And I put my hand up here, like what is the what is the problem in robotics? This is solving like what what? What isn't what was not possible yesterday that maybe possible today because of this development.
Speaker 3: Well, I I don't think this actually is not it's not about like this isn't like an advancement in AI or robotics. This is just democratizing it. I know you all hate that word, but it's but it's letting people like me or startups you know, with with fewer resources get into this field.
Speaker 2: To use natural language to to essentially train physical robots.
Speaker 3: Right exactly like I want to I want to scare the ducks away? Can you create a model that will recognize the ducks and you know, do whatever. So it's like a move in that in the direction of like you know, we'll have more than just the robot vacuums in our house, like we'll have a and you know, eventually humanoids, but that's farther down the line.
Speaker 2: You talked about something your story called the missing link effect in robotics. What is that and how does that kind of play into this story?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That was sort of like this this concept that I, you know, you're essentially like you can create. There's robotics everywhere now, right, Like you go into a biotech lab. I was in Boston last week, right, there's there's robotic pipe heading machines in all these labs. Now, there's there's all sorts of automation that you know, centrifugas, et cetera, that are testing DNA and doing all sorts of stuff. But like, you still need a lot of people to run these labs because they're still built for humans. So it's it's not like it's not a step chain. The robotics gives you these incremental gains and efficiency. But my point was like, let's say, and this is what a lot of lab technicians say, not all of them agree, but like, let's say you could have a humanoid robot that has like five fingers and can do you know, any sort of dexterous tasks that a human can do, and you can just program it. All of a sudden, every single biolab as they exist today can become completely automated, and then you can just have these things run twenty four to seven and that would like allow scientists to run more experiments that they would never do today that just there just wouldn't be the resources to do today, And so that becomes like an exponential gain in scientific discovery, and that sort of principle of like you plug it once, you get once these robots become more general purpose and you can sort of plug them into you know, all the technology we already have, you you get exponential gains versus just Okay, now I got like a ten percent increase in efficiency, you're twenty percent.
Speaker 2: So right now, for example, you could have a robot that shot sort of nerf arrows at the ducks, but then you have to go and pick them up yourself and reload the robot, whereas in the future you could also be a general purpose robot collect the arrows.
Speaker 3: Sure, yes, you do that, but then think about that in like at an industrial scale, right. Building construction is a great example, Like there's all this automation and construction, right, but you still need a ton of people, and that creates like there's labor shortages, that creates like the bottleneck essentially. Right, But once you can fully automate things, the things move just exponentially faster. And that's like to me, that probably in my view, and you might you all might disagree with this. I think that's where humanoid robots are valuable. Like people make this argument that, well, why do you need humanoids, Like you could just create a special robot for each individual purpose, but it just it doesn't work that way, Like.
Speaker 2: The industrial wood world was designed to be navigated by real humans and therefore humanoid robots and are actually they fit into the system we've built better than any other types of robots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. I think that's I think they may be a necessary step to get to like a thick full full automation and like you know, fully roboticizing you know, the economy.
Speaker 5: But wait is the miss So the missing link is the technology that will make humans obsolete? Is that?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: What is the missing link?
Speaker 3: I still I mean, yeah, that's the that's the and and look that was I put that in the articles down like that. You know. The obvious next question is like, Okay, what does that mean? For human labor. I personally like, first of all, this is this is a ways of way, right, Like this is not gonna happen overnight. But second of all, I think that you just think about the economic growth that comes from that world, Like I don't. I'm not worried personally that humans are just gonna have nothing to do like that that just is not gonna happen. We'll find stuff to do.
Speaker 2: You did refer on your story to the Nobel Prize winging economist Darren Astimolgulu's research, who found that every industrial robot added per thousand workers measurably reduces employment and wages in the community where it lends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just disagree, though. I just think that you're not You're not thinking through all the ancillary benefits of being able to do this kind of stuff and then the economic growth that will happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, but according according to according to the quote, is measurably reduced.
Speaker 3: Right. But like economists, they can only measure what already exists, right, And this is this is the mistake everybody. It's like you almost can't win this argument because it's like who would have thought, like in nineteen hundred that, you know, all the jobs that exist will be gone. But like people will make millions of dollars sitting in front of a webcam and just talking like the idea of a creator could not have existed in their minds, right, So there's I think humans will always find something that they do that they're that we assign value to and will be just fine.
Speaker 4: Natasha Taylor, I'm just in my mind like right now, daydreaming about what kind of robots I could have, you know, automated parts of my life, because there's I'm thinking of Reed's pool example, and I'm like, there's a few things I'd like. I would like something to handle my garden honestly.
Speaker 3: To prune or what would you will, yeah.
Speaker 4: Prune weed, anything like water. I mean, they have automated watering systems. I should just buy one off Amazon. But but you know, I went out of town recently and I needed to pay someone to come over and like harvest the jilapenos that we're going to go rotten. Then you know, just like manage it.
Speaker 5: I guess a jilapeno harvesting robot.
Speaker 3: Of course, I think a gardening robot is an even more lucrative idea than than the Nerf nerve shooting duck robot.
Speaker 2: I would I have nightmas whenever I travel, I have nightmas about the garden just kept becoming you know, wasteland, and I feel like I would, I would be a very irrational spender on more about the plantain my garden.
Speaker 4: Just a humanoid robot that lives in your backyard, that can tend to your garden while you're.
Speaker 2: Gone, Natasha, I feel like I feel like you've got to a counterpoint here.
Speaker 5: No, I mean I I have heard this argument about, you know, we can't possibly comprehend the future like future jobs from many, many, many executives. But I do think it's really interesting the humanoid robot example in a lab. Both my parents were like research scientists, and just thinking about how it could potentially change that. I mean, first of all, it's like just imagine the number of mistakes and errors that could be made. But also, you know, so like you can't you can't make the humans obsolete because it's never going to be one hundred percent accuracy. But in terms of all of the different things you could try, Yeah, I mean I think that's that's like pretty exciting when you apply it to like actual innovation like new drugs, new science, new materials.
Speaker 3: Well, here's a here's a peta point for Taylor like that, I think this is the thing that people aren't thinking about when you have so when you have like fully robotic labs, right, what is like the number one way that we test all these molecules. It's animals.
Speaker 5: Oh, you know, people are building these like synthetic animals so that we won't have to do testing and synthetic brains.
Speaker 3: That is true. I looked at synthetic brains under the microscope, like they look like little brains. I mean that's just brain tissue. These or they call them organoids. It's fascinating. But like but right now, like so one of the researchers said, well, if you look at like the C elegance, which is like this little worm that that was made huge advances and like the longevity industry like all this testing. They like sort of root force tested the DNA of C elegance in order to you know, to essentially like do like do testing on it. And that led to a lot of this a lot of this new research, right and they're like, well imagine if like but that's a very simple organize and imagine if you could do the same thing with mice, and then we could have this greater understanding of mice and that would advance medicine. And I'm like, I'm picturing like like a robotic you know, twenty four to seven robotic like warehouse just full of mice, being like they die eventually right in these tests. And I'm just like, I think this is a big animal rights like once it gets to that, it's already controversial.
Speaker 2: Well, actually I want to share this in the in the first segment, but but I didn't, but I will now. So I had Stewart Russell on tech Stuff recently, who was Elon's only expert witness in the open AI try it about AI safety and one of the great sort of advocate of the alignment problem and the paper clip issue and all the other things. And his example was, if you told the super intelligent AI to cure cancer, the most rational first step would be to give find a way to give all humans cancer, so you could run as many simultaneous clinical trials as possible. So here we are the connective tissue between segments one and two. But now we go to the atbreak when we come back. Bill Gates's daughter Phoebe gets into some startup trouble. Stay with us, Welcome back, Taylor. I remember when Phoebe Gates announced her AI shopping startup a little over a year ago, investors from Kleiner Perkins to Sydney Sweeney piled into Fear. Tell us what fear is and what's been going down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Fear. It's Phia. I feel like it of it's hard to pronounce. So it's an affiliate shopping site. Basically, it promises to give you deals on you know, whatever you're shopping on online. It's very similar to Honey. It's essentially the same business as Honey, which is very funny because Honey got into trouble for the same thing like a year ago. I think. I guess what's different is that it promised to be powered by AI, so you know, AI powered shopping assistant, help you shop, help you find the best deals, blah blah blah. Well, it turns out that they were doing the exact same thing that Honey did, which is sort of essentially stealing other people's affiliate revenue and using it as their own.
Speaker 2: So how exacted as well? I do remember just last week, you were talking about how useful it would be. Honest, two weeks ago, I think how useful would be to have an AI go and find lookalike products for what you wanted for your living room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is not This is.
Speaker 2: Not the offering that that's solving that problem yet.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, it's I think I believe it. It's a browser extension. Basically, there's this messy world of like advertising, cookies and data. You know, lots of data is being harvested on us all day. There's lots of things that are happening on our browser that were maybe not aware of. So say you went to say you were a FIA user, right, and then you went to buy something on Nike dot com. FIA might get credit for that sale even though they didn't directly drive that sale, And so that costs retailers a lot of money.
Speaker 2: So it's not it doesn't it doesn't cause consumer harm. But it's basically it's basically just stlling out the other affiliate affiliate marketers and harming the retailers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the idea is that if this happens on a broad enough scale, of course, retailers will raise their prices to deal with this stuff.
Speaker 2: And you had Ben Adelman, who was a researcher looked into this story on your podcast. So what did he tell you and what made you want to kind of cover this one?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'll be real with you, guys. I just thought this story was interesting, not from any of this stuff like il like it's a pretty standard. It sounds like Honey already did this kind of scam. It's fraud, it's not good. It sounds like everyone does it not to make it whatever. What I found interesting is the narrative. And I'm very skeptical of like sort of these takedown pieces on female founders and everything. But this is a girl that raised forty three million dollars, that has some of the top investors, you know, that got in Forbes thirty under thirty, that is just getting unfathomable amounts of sort of opportunities and ushered into this like tech elite world basically for building what was essentially a Honey clone and ultimately doing the same thing that Honey was doing. And so I just I guess to me it was it was more interesting. It is like a story about kind of like how does access play a role, how does fame? How does adjacency to power like play a role in this Silicon Valley start up funding ecosystem and the companies that are sort of considered successes.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you could raise that much money, snap your finger, well you probably could, honestly, Taylor, I mean you're pretty well, but like you could start, you could build a robotic you know, Gardner, Like, I mean, let's do something more ambitious. I totally agree, Like what.
Speaker 4: Right bart headline? Taylor tries to put Gardners this no, and it's like I don't want to like downplay like the idea of like AI shopping, but I just I feel like we can think bigger about technology and about like what we're like lauding and what we're like praising and putting founders on like most exciting startup founders lists. Like you know, that's kind of to me. I'm like hmmm, And you know a lot was focused on sort of Phoebe Gates is like, you know, she's an influencer, she's out there, you know, building an audience.
Speaker 5: And even when it launched, I thought it was like a weird move for her. I'm like, you could do you could have better nepotism than this you know, you could have like a more impressive startup. She was talking a lot about reproductive rights and like going in a certain way with her influencer career. I thought this was really a like lateral slash step down.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like one of those businesses where you're like you type into like CHATGBT, like find a way for me to make money?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like ask your dad for help. If you haven't been asking your dad for ask him for help. Because this was not a good one.
Speaker 2: Okay, but let's so so tech tech NEPO babies obviously, you know PB Gates is kind of intriguing as one read jobs has his has his fund investing in like cancer cancer technologies. I'm not sure if I'm not sure if anyone knows much about that or where it's going. But if you do, chime in, and who are the other tech NEPO babies who want to be in tech?
Speaker 1: I guess my question.
Speaker 5: There's already a lot of them in tech. Tim Draper's sons are investors. You would be surprised if you just look at you know, like middle management at the fank companies. I think you see a lot of a lot. Yeah, so well, Sophie Schmidt, she had she had Rest of World, and I'm not sure how long she's going to be affiliated with that. I think Rest of World is actually an awesome publication. So that's that's one of the technico products that I would definitely stand behind. Yeah, I feel like often they bring them in on their funds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I would say a really famous one is David Ellison, Larry Ellison's son, who would be.
Speaker 1: That would probably the example number one.
Speaker 5: And we, like I have been thinking about this for I guess decades, because we are not prepared for the like the way that the that the children of these tech billionaires are going to influence our world old with the amount of capital that they will have access to and the amount of like Taylor said, access just generally to. I mean just imagine like Davos twenty third.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you think it'll look like? Like we've seen that we have the Rockefellers, we have you know, there's there's all these families, but like, is this going to be just more of that effort?
Speaker 5: It's right, No, I don't think it's going to be like the Rockefellers at all, because I think it's going to be a lot of the kids trying to make a name for themselves. So they pick a they pick a cause, they pick a charity, they pick you know, something that they want to be associated with. So the money that would normally go to like kind of traditional philanthropies which have their which have their own issues, is probably going to go to like a startup, you know, they want to when they show up at a Davo circuit or whatever it is. They want to have like something behind their name that's not just their mom or dad. So yeah, it's just going to be I guess like neposlop.
Speaker 3: Some of them. Some of them might be good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think it'll be interesting too, Like with all of Elon Musk's kids, you know, Elon Musk, like a lot of these Silicon Valley men also are like obsessed with pro creating. They want to ensure that their legacy continues, you know. So I wonder if all said they're going to take a more like hands on role than maybe some like finance guy or whatever, you know, would have done with his children.
Speaker 5: And I mean so many of them got radicalized from their children, right, Like their children's politics radicalize them. So maybe they will be like the class traders that tried to push more, you know, more income equality or different things. I mean, I'm not saying it's necessarily going to be slopped, but you have to imagine. I mean, their dads are the ones who are like Elon's like I did it by myself. You know, I'm an immigrant, I like didn't have any help. And so these kids are going to have like a lot of chips on their shoulders, I'm saying. And the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like dead right, Like they're not going to give it away, are they? Is the philanthropy dead is just going to be startups?
Speaker 4: Well, I would say maybe the Dario. You know, we're about to get a lot of ea anthropic millionaires and billionaires they famously kind of give to a lot of causes.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, but I went to this event in San Francisco called what should we do about all this money?
Speaker 3: Get it out of California? Get the money out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think they're going to go into donor advice funds, which means like no transparency. There's just a lot of ways to like set it up as though it looks like a charity but there's no transparency, you know, public accountability. And I think it's quite possible too that a lot of this money will be going into AI safety.
Speaker 3: Oh god, well we'll have very safe AI. That'll be great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, that's all we have time for today. Thank you all so much for joining for tech stuff. I'm mos Voloshin. This episode was produced by Eliza Dennis. It was executive produced by me and Julian Nutta for Kaleidoscope and Katrina norvelbe iHeart Podcasts. Jack instantly mixed this episode and Kyle Murdoch wrote olph theme song. A special thank you to Taylor Lorenz, Natasha Tku and Read Albergotti. Please check out all the work they put out into the world. We're lucky to call them friends of the Pod.