Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now here.
Speaker 3: We go in the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller and Danny g Radio Happy Sunday. Sunday Sunday A big day.
Speaker 1: On my calendar.
Speaker 3: Now, it's always a big day for those us the like sports, right, Danny's a big day. It's the twenty second day here of October. But this needs to be the week, the turning point where I zoom in the fast lane right by the penny. I need a high note today. I need a high note today. I'm looking at the card. I feel pretty good about the card today in the NFL. So see, the big one is tonight the Dolphins and the Eagles. That's the big one. Like, that's the key marquee matchup.
Speaker 1: But who'd you take in that one?
Speaker 3: Well, if you watch the TV show. I sang Fly Eagles Fly on the road to Victrry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, were you with me the famous night when Nick Foles took over for Carson Wentz. It was a Rams. It was a RAMS game at the Coliseum. And I don't know if you were still with me at that time, or I mean, I think it might have been. I was at the game. Carson Wentz was playing like an MVP quarterback, so you know, it was bizarre world. Yeah, Wentz gets hurt. I'm outside the Eagle locker room. They are crying and ups.
Speaker 1: I remember that he was diving into the end zone, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and he got injured and he couldn't walk. He needed a golf cart to drive him up the ramp there at the Coliseum. And the Eagles, the way they reacted was like, we're totally cooked, We're done, We're screwed, We're not gonna And they end up winning the Super Bowl that year with Nick Foles. But I got on the radio that night and the Late Philly Rob I turned the Philly fight song around and I changed a few words there, and I sang the fight song and a less than flattering way, and many people in Philadelphia reminded me of that as the Eagles then went on and of course won the Super Bowl that year. But that's a game I'm looking forward to. Also. The Chargers and Chiefs not bad. That's late in the television window. Chargers aren't very good. But the Chiefs they've got some wide receiver issues. And I will be at the Rams Steelers game today, so I'll be down at so far in the hood in England.
Speaker 1: Why do you think, why do you think so many make excuses for the Chargers?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I don't get it. I wish I could tell you.
Speaker 1: It's not just the Chargers.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of excuse making when quarterbacks don't play well, it's always somebody else's fault.
Speaker 1: It's never their fault.
Speaker 3: Now, are you going to actually force your son? This could be child abuse, Danny. If CoA watches Raider game, you might you might be taken by authorities. There, boy, what a match up here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we're gonna have to see game time? Is it a game time decision? With a quarterbacking?
Speaker 3: I was told Garoppolo is not playing? Is he gonna play?
Speaker 1: Well, Garoppolo's not playing, but is Hoyer starting or is aid and O'Connell starting because might get a glimpse of the future quarterback rather than a guy who's only good at coming in and filling in. That being Hoyer, he was good last week when he came in at halftime or for the second half rather, but he's not good when he starts. He's zero to twelve and his last twelve NFL starts.
Speaker 3: You'd like to think whoever plays quarterback for the Raiders will have success because the Bears are ranked twenty fifth in defense.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and the Raiders defense is actually ranked fourteenth overall. Right now, who would have thought?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Hopefully the Raiders defense can get after whatever is going on with the pathetic offense of Chicago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're starting a guy that went to Shepherd College or something like that. I don't even know, but Bennet or something. I don't even know his name. It's a mess. But people don't want to hear about that. That the listener wants the mailback. They need the mailback. It's in their bones. They're demanding the mailback. So let's give that.
Speaker 1: You could get to football after this. This is your official official pregame show.
Speaker 3: It's all right, thank you, ohio Al, the great ohio Al. And let's get right into the mail bag, and we have time. We will go to Pop Goes the Culture. But this is a very important mail bag. You might not think this is important, but if you didn't hear the very end of the Saturday show yesterday, Danny G pointed out that the downloads went bye bye on the mail bag last week on Sundays. So if that continues this week, that means this could be the final mail bag, at least for the rest of the football season.
Speaker 1: I relooked at the numbers this morning. When I first woke up, seventy percent of the usual downloads were there, So we were missing thirty percent of our normal Sunday audience. Okay, that's still a kick in the ass.
Speaker 3: As the CEO of the Fifth Hour podcast, along with my Brigadier General's alf the alien Opiner justin in Cincinnati, and all the knuckleheads that listen every week. All right, mister nice guy and the barrier. Here's the thing, all right, I can't be losing thirty percent of the downs, right, Danny. We're in this together. It's a partnership, like we do it. You listen it's an agreement. All right, Let's get to the mailbag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one of the most downloaded shows that Fox Sports Radio has, So if you don't download Sunday, the entire thing could unravel. Fox Sports Radio could actually go out of business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then all your favorite talk traw hosts will be down at the soup kitchen on the hard scrabble streets right in the Tenderloin district.
Speaker 1: And that's where we'll be, right in Lincoln Heights.
Speaker 3: Oh, I would never would I would never be caught living in Lincoln Heights. I mean, my god, unless I lived there for seven years. Mike and Fullerton is first up. Abra Cadabra, Ben and Danny g Halloween's coming up fast, So let's talk candy. A website put together a big board, not a list, a big board of the top ten best and worst Halloween candies using scientifical polls, and I'd like to get your thoughts on it. If there's any ranking you strongly disagree with.
Speaker 1: Please, he said, polls.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, I know. Let's see. I'm gonna send you the list here, Danny, because otherwise I can look at it. And then there's a couple of things that stand out here that I'm like, you know, that's that's kind of bullshit.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: But let's see here, all right, So we'll start the top ten. You want to do the best first with it, because the worst is the better story. Better stories in losing one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do the best first, all.
Speaker 3: Right, son Elmbird ten butterfinger and right off the top this controversy, right off the top of this country. Butter fingers higher than number ten.
Speaker 1: Ten is oh for the butter especially when you put it in the freezer to crisp for a little bit.
Speaker 3: The butter finger is fringe. Top five and anything less than that and you've done an injustice to the butterfinger.
Speaker 1: Some good analysis.
Speaker 3: Number nine Twigs.
Speaker 1: I took nine.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't hate the Twigs. I don't. I don't love it. I think it's a little too high. I would definitely move it back butterfinger ahead of the Twigs. But okay, number what's number eight?
Speaker 1: Day?
Speaker 3: What do we have a number? Number?
Speaker 1: Kit kat where you could either split it in half or you could be an animal like my older brother who would take a bite out of the whole thing. Babbage.
Speaker 3: You have a primal scream after he'd been into it. So the kit kat is it's a similar thing to twigs. I feel like they're cousins. Maybe not first cousins, but their cousins, don't you kitch.
Speaker 1: Cat should be higher than Twigs. So at least they got that part right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got that right, all right? What's the next? Number seven? Is the traditional Hershey's bar? Now? Is that just the regular milk chocolate or is that the one? I like the one with almonds.
Speaker 1: I like the Hershey's Bar with almonds. Yeah. I think this is just a regular old Hershey bar.
Speaker 3: Not a fan. I need my almonds, not a fan. It's fine. I'm okay with it. If I'm eating buttered popcorn and a movie theater, I can have the Hershey Bar.
Speaker 1: And I like the Hershey Crisp if you're going to do any like kind of playing chocolate bar, right, yeah, all right? Number six?
Speaker 3: Number six is sour Patch kids. Now. I am not a big gummy candy guy, but when I do, my wife and the family here love gummy candy. They love the gummy candy, and they enjoy the sour Patch candy, especially the watermelon flavor. So I've always had a lot of that at the house, even though I don't eat too much of it, but when I do, I love the juicy flavors.
Speaker 1: Out Patch Kids are a staple here Audio household as well. And Ben they even have a bag right now in the kitchen of the oversized souper Patch Kids, the big ones that's more advanced.
Speaker 3: That's like your your Rhodes scholar when you get to that level. So yeah, I'm okay with number six. In fact, I think sour Patch Kids. I'm looking ahead here, I'm peeking ahead. I think sour Patch Kids is actually something they should be higher than.
Speaker 1: Number What's next?
Speaker 3: What's next?
Speaker 1: Number five?
Speaker 3: Number five is Skittles. Unpopular opinion, unpopular opinion. Not good, not good, because I've had Skittles where I've I've almost broken my teeth because they're too hard, go hard on a guy.
Speaker 1: It's an issue.
Speaker 3: It's a Skittles issue. Plus they're like, I think they're all covered in wax or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to ban these things in the state of California, of course, is if the colors of the coloring or something. Yeah, yeah, okay, you eat enough of anything, you could probably get cancer. So from what I read, you'd have to eat like a million Skittles to really have a risk of cancer.
Speaker 3: California's gonna they're gonna raising the price of the candy for everybody, because they're not just gonna make a special blend for California like they do the gall the gas where they just that.
Speaker 1: Special seven dollars a gallon gas. We have here Number.
Speaker 3: Four, number four, all hot to trot hot.
Speaker 1: To that shit in before and no, I disagree with you, Danny G.
Speaker 3: I am a fan of the Hot Tamali. I love the Hot Tomali. It's got a little kick to it, it's delicious teeth. I support, well, all these things get stuck. I support the Hot Tamali.
Speaker 1: I don't hate the Hot Tomali. But number four is a bit high.
Speaker 3: I had, well, Skittles should be lower. I'd move Sour Patch Kids up, Butterfingers up. I'd knock back TwixT Kitkat's fine Sour Patch Kids, I said, I move up. Skittles goes completely off the list. I'd move Hershey Bar off the list. Allso what's next?
Speaker 1: Number three? Rich Davis. He was at the snack Machine at FSR and he was trying to hit F ten, but he did F one thinking he needed to type in the one in the zero and no, F one is a Snickers bar. The stickers came out. He was walking around trying to give away the Snickers bar and nobody wanted it. Oh my gosh, that's unfortunate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Snickers, I don't I don't.
Speaker 1: Hate them like Rich.
Speaker 3: I'm not completely against the Snickers, but it's certainly not number three. And it's embarrassing on a big board of candy to have Snickers number three. Heads are going to roll. In fact, I would argue the Three Musketeers the soft nougat ew ew not bad head to head.
Speaker 1: I'll say this about Snickers. The little mini size Snickers are better than trying to eat a whole candy bar of that. But Snickers in a small dosage is good.
Speaker 3: But even the mini Snicker thing, here's the problem with that. When we were kids, those were legitimate middle It was like the size of your thumb. Now that the size of your pinky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotten small reverse inflation.
Speaker 3: What's next? What do we got that number two, number two out here on the big board? M and MS? But what does that encompass all M and ms. Is that peanut M and ms in addition to regular M and ms.
Speaker 1: Cause me, that's saying regular emin ms. And that's wrong because peanut m and ms should be number two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the peanut M and m's for the win all day. What's number one?
Speaker 1: Number one? Reese's peanut butter cups. Yes, or as some of our listeners say, in the middle of the country or on the east side of our country, reces. I have no idea why they say it like that, but Reces peanut butter cups.
Speaker 3: So here's my position on the Reese's Peanut butter cup. Love it wonderful, But from a quantity standpoint, do they give you enough?
Speaker 1: Are the cups big enough? Are you getting enough candy?
Speaker 3: Are you getting enough bang.
Speaker 1: For your buck? You need the king size when you buy these without the king size price. That's true. That, that is true? All right for the regular little ones, and give me the king size.
Speaker 3: What is the We have the bottom ten here? You're listening to the male bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bottom ten. I'll run through quickly and then we can hear your disputes. Okay, number ten a TUTSI rollin bit o honey, okay, eight licorice, seven Smarties, six Mary Jane's, five wax cola bottles, four peanut butter kisses, three necho wafers.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: By the way, that should be number one, number two candy corn, number one circus peanuts. So I need some help on these.
Speaker 3: What what are bit o? Honey? I don't even know what that is?
Speaker 1: What is that? Honey? They look like trident gum? But when you peel the individually wrapped thing, it's a honey candy. That sounds terrible.
Speaker 3: That's what is a Mary? I know what Mary Jane is, but what is Mary Mary? Change the game?
Speaker 1: Oh it says it's an old fashioned peanut butter and molasses flavored taffy type candy. Okay.
Speaker 3: And then I had to look up circus peanuts and those do look disgusting.
Speaker 1: Now I'll argue in favor of circus peanuts for just a moment. I don't know if you remember, but way back in the day, we would walk into a kmart and you'd smell the popcorn cooking, yeah, and you'd see the candy, the candied apples, and then another thing that they sold there was circus peanuts, and they look kind of gross, but they don't taste gross. They're good. Some people don't like the texture of those.
Speaker 3: Also, I'm not a licorice guy.
Speaker 1: I don't really like liquorice. I do like liquors for some reason.
Speaker 3: I the tutsie roll thing is nostalgia for me because my grandfather, my mom's dad, who was a plumber from Springfield, Massachusetts, love tutsi rolls. So when I was a little kid, he always had a like on the table at his house. He had that roll.
Speaker 1: So that's like the tutsi roll pop and those tutsi rolls been. The problem is they get stale and hard, so if you have a good batch, they're not that bad. And by the way, a circus peanut it's made out of marshmallow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm good on that. I don't, I don't need, and everyone hates. I've never met anyone who likes candy corn. I don't know. I maybe I did meet so many years ago, but other than I, for the most part, it's universal anti candy corn.
Speaker 1: I don't in a small dosage. I don't mind it, and I bite it into three parts based on the three different colors.
Speaker 3: Now, the wax cola BA bottle thing. Those when you're a kid kind of cool, right, You're kind of like this seems kind of cool like that. I don't know that the taste.
Speaker 1: Is yeah, the taste is the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the idea of that is pretty good. And they have other flavors as well that you can get.
Speaker 1: Really quick to end to wrap it up. It's not on any of these lists, but the individually wrapped sun kissed candies remember those?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's not bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah those were good.
Speaker 3: That's not bad. All right, Well, we've just eaten fifteen minutes of time we'll never get. Thank you Mike and Fullerton for bowguarding the podcast. On the mail bag, do.
Speaker 1: You feel ten pounds heavier right now?
Speaker 3: Marcus writes in from Bruceville, Eddie, Texas. He says, you guys talked about soups last weekend? What's the lot of foods? See we do a foody fun thing. Everyone wants to talk about food, he says, talk about soups last weekend? What's the two you guys thought about? I says, what's the two you guys thought about? Menudo at a Mexican restaurant with a little bit of lime onions? And cilantro Chef's kiss cannot go wrong. See the problem is Roberto, who I used to work with, told me what was in manudo the Mexico. So I'm good on manudo. I'll have the band manudo or whatever. I'm good on that. You have menudo?
Speaker 1: Guy, No, I know what's in that. And a buddy of mine growing up, he used to get that every Sunday from a local Mexican restaurant. And the reason why is because it soaks up all of the alcohol poisoning.
Speaker 3: Ah okay, well, if you throw enough animal parts in there, it'll it'll help you out.
Speaker 1: And if I grew up with it, I would probably love it, but I'd rather have pasole than Yeah.
Speaker 3: Next up, Joe and Darcy from Florida says, here is a different kind of question. I thought you would like. When you used to travel to Vero Beach back with the Dodgers the Doyers and they had spring training their spring training facility in zero, were there any bars or restaurants that you like the frequent I was just curious to see if any of them are still around. Code of the Cat still sucks, even though I didn't mention that in the last email. All right, well, thank you Joe and Darcy. So here's my memory of Vero Beach. It was so long ago. I don't remember the names. All I remember is the late great Tommy Hawkins, may he rest in peace, who played for the Lakers or the early days when they came from Minneapolis, and was a Dodger executive and one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life. Tommy Hawkins, who was a Dodger executive, and we were down there, had never been to Via Beach before. We were doing the night show back to La so we were on late and we were both single dudes, Me and this guy, Dave Smith. I did the show with the Ben and Dave Show, and we asked Tommy, where's the most happening bar? And he actually told us it was not even a place in Vero. It was in Port Saint Lucie, down the road. He told us that that's the spot. You know, you guys, you'll go in there and you know a.
Speaker 1: Lot of beautiful people whatever.
Speaker 3: So we go in there and I think the youngest now we're in our twenties.
Speaker 1: I'm in my twenties, right, The.
Speaker 3: Youngest woman that was in there was probably around sixty one years old.
Speaker 1: That was like so, in other words, you guys both got lucky that night. I was wow, my goodness, but it was finally easy pickings for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. But Joe and Darcy, what did they do with Dodger Town. You know, I don't want to say his name, but one of the people I know that work so the Dodger still actually lives in Vero in the off season. But I heard they were going to turn that facility, Dodger Town into like a youth sports complex. But I don't know if they ever did.
Speaker 1: Let us know.
Speaker 3: Fred in Spring, Texas right center the mailbag, he says, hello, hello there, like the second, Like the second the recommendation of last week's listener about getting your troublesome tone nails removed, and Fred said, I had mine done about ten years ago, with a clean up around three years ago. It really worked for me. It's an easy procedure and around two weeks of daily soaking, wearing sandals, and then permanent relief. It is a great solution to a real problem.
Speaker 1: He says, Hey, you.
Speaker 3: Know what this means, Danny, We are the number one podcast Forget Screw Joe Rogan and all these other losers. We're number one with dudes that don't have toenails, with the King of podcasts for people that don't have toenails. That's wild. Well, Fred, I have not made a decision on what I will do with my disgusting toes, and I do like the idea of having them zapped off the toenail and seeing how that goes. Georgia and Uvalde, Texas Rights In says, would you rather? I love it?
Speaker 1: Would you rather?
Speaker 3: Would you rather go through the scare? He is haunted house exhibit for Halloween or see Brian Finley's face first thing in the morning when he is unshaven and disheveled. Daddy, Well, George, I'll go first day I listen. I've seen Brian Finley. I'm the one that took the photo of him when it looked like we had picked.
Speaker 1: Him up from the soup kitchen.
Speaker 3: Okay, when it looked like we had taken him from skid row and dropped him in the radio station and all that. So I've already seen that look, and I mean it was not pleasant, it was not enjoyable, but a really scary haunted house. If you're not sure it's a haunted house.
Speaker 1: Give you the he b gebis.
Speaker 3: You might think the demon spawn is going to eat you up? What about you?
Speaker 1: Did you know? I'm not like some sort of diva who has to have every hair in place and you know, have every single thing matching. Although I will not walk around with wrinkled clothes, that's a rule, and I do match my shoes with my hat. But other than that, Ben, I would never carry around like a man's bathroom bag like I've seen some of my coworkers do, where they'll go in the bathroom and they it's almost like they're getting ready to be on TV. You know about that because you wear TV makeup now I know, And I'm like, look, you're not on TV, though you're on radio. We could actually wear pajamas and just be comfortable. But Finley's one of those guys where I would recommend a bathroom bag. He should carry one around because he always looks like he just rolled out of bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's funny because he does TV stuff and he looks fine on television, but then with us, he's like schlep rock or so either like a cloud or no, not sh But what's the character. What's the one the character in the Peanuts that always had the cloud of dust follow him around Big Ben? Yeah, yeah, pig He's like pig pen that Brian Finley uh man. Anyway, all right, what is next? On the mail bag? Alf from the Ross dress for last right? So, and he says, any truth to the rumor that Tom Looney ate up the entire clothing budget? Can Tom Looney on Benny Versus the Penny only leaving you enough for one outfit? Well that's a bad take by you, Alf the Alien Opiner. Shame on you, and I hope you enjoyed this weekend's episode of Benny Versus the Penny more than all the other episodes combined. But that is my Benny Versus the Penny uniform. I am stylish.
Speaker 2: What the actual hell is wrong with this guy?
Speaker 3: Okay? I am stylish. Not in a drama queen way, no more of in a Debon airway. I'm definitely in the closet.
Speaker 1: You and Jonas you know, he's been on that Sunday night NFL show locally in LA and he's also been wearing the same outfit every week. You have a style, you have a trend. You're setting trends and why would you change your clothes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and really, what you're saying is, hey, you guys are in vogue.
Speaker 1: That's what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I just say it. You're in vogue, right, We're there, We're on the cusp of fashion. We're in demand, we're sought after. And that's when I get comments like this from people like alf. I'm like, I get it. I understand we're being singled out because we're marketable. Anyway, what's next year? Ozzie was from Western Australia, says, Hey, my mate's Big Ben and Danny g So I take it. I take it you line, you line of work? I think there's a word missing here misspelled? Are in your life work?
Speaker 1: I think he made there was an R missing.
Speaker 3: So in your line of work use headphones a lot? I know this is a super question. I use Beats, Studio Buds or the Power Beats and only using one in my ears. I need to hear the CB radio at all times from my line of work. So my question to you guys is what is your go to brand and style of.
Speaker 1: Headphones for different activities?
Speaker 3: All right, so Danny, you want to handle this one? You're a headphone guy.
Speaker 1: No, yes, No, I am a headphone guy. I have a really expensive pair of headphones that I use while I edit the podcast, the bows that I use to edit. Those are the seven hundred noise canceling headphones, the brand that I use for the daily radio show. Their Sony's been but there's Sony's from a few years back because they're discontinued. But I got so used to them as the professional headset, and they are the best head headphones. Sometimes though, these companies will stop making them. And you know, from being a rick DS guy back in the day, once you get used to something and it's quality electronics, you don't ever want to stop using that. So I actually found a pair of these on eBay and met some lady in Pasadena and picked them up.
Speaker 3: Met at a parking lot behind a liquor store in Pasadena, A I want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not eBay, it was Craig's list. Even better, it was a Craigslist transaction in the back of a parking lot for a grocery store in Pasadena. And those are the daily headphones that I use right now. Who v six hundred? I don't think you're as picky though, are you with your headphone?
Speaker 3: Well, no, but I do use And the reason I use these headphones because the first time I walked into a commercial radio station, the people were wearing these headphones. To me, this is the big leagues when.
Speaker 1: You wear these headphones.
Speaker 3: And I wear the Sony Professional headphones, and I've done it my entire career. Although I do have a listener, A very kind listener gave me some Beats headphones that I do use in the home studio, but for the podcast on this side the podcast equipment I have in the studio, and then when I go into the mothership, I do use the Sony Professional, which have to my knowledge, have not been discontinued. They were good. But you can actually go down to like five below if you have one in your area and get headphones like those wireless headphones that if you're just for the gym or whatever, probably pretty good, right, Probably pretty good?
Speaker 1: Wrong?
Speaker 3: What is next on the mail bag? Marcus in San Antonio says, So, my buddies and I were watching the Phillies and Diamondbacks Game three and couldn't help being distracted by the high paper little girl behind home plate. She couldn't sit still and watched everyone or everything but the game. We kept thinking someone was going to say something to the family, but nothing happened and made it hard to watch the game. You guys obviously attend a lot more sporting events than most, so my question is what are some of the most annoying or distracting fan experiences you guys have had, and do you think it's getting worse with social media continuing to grow.
Speaker 1: I'll take my answer off the air.
Speaker 3: There you go, He says, thank you as always for providing the great show. That's Marcus in San Antonio. So I have an unpopular opinion. I don't think it's worse. I think it's just being documented more because I remember going to games in the nineties and people were complete schmucks doing the same shit they're doing now choose my language, but it just wasn't recorded for posterity sake, and that there are to be fair. There are people that go that their agenda is to do something to get on TikTok. Do you see the guy that got trucked at the Phillies game. Yes, lost a couple of teeth.
Speaker 1: And I think it was last year's NBA playoffs. Remember that it was different games where that same lady was screaming.
Speaker 3: NonStop, no, no, no, no, remember they were there were people gluing themselves to the back of the court, remember the woman.
Speaker 1: So yeah, protest, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Some protests, Yeah, knuckleheads. I try to block a lot of that out. But it's you know, what do you do the kiss cam thing? I'm kind of I don't know the.
Speaker 1: Because they always have plants. They're just trying to make funny bits on their screen. The couple who act like they're not a couple, and then they wind up kissing because the camera comes to them so much that they're forced into it. That's hashtag me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a little little funny business going on there. Let's see hear John in Northern Colorado on the mailbag. We'll do a couple more, get out on this, a couple more, We'll do two more. How about this John in Northern Colorado. I say it says most of us guys were jerks in our early mid teens. Were you ever the giver or receiver of a wedgie, swirly or purple nurple back in your younger days? So I I was the big guy, so people didn't really mess with me with that kind of stuff, and I didn't really, I don't know. I didn't do the weggie. The only thing I did I tossed a kid in a trash can, which I don't think was on your list, Danny.
Speaker 1: No, I had an older brother who was a couple of years older. Kids knew that was my older brother. He liked to fight. I like to fight, so we both kind of had that reputation. Kids left us alone. There was one bully that I encountered my freshman year of school, and it did end well for him. We both got suspended for a week, but he took the brunt of the fight. We weren't bullies, but we weren't pushovers either. I think my brother and I had the perfect mix of that.
Speaker 3: Gotcha all right? Last one here? Last one comes from Kevin in Kansas, says dear fantastic duel Ben. Can you tell more details about playing pool with Bruce Bochie? If you need to embellish, feel free to do so.
Speaker 1: Danny G.
Speaker 3: Do you have any similar encounters with a celebrity, like throwing darts with Barry Bonds or karaoke with Rob Manford. All right, so I'll go first, so this goes back. I can't believe how far this goes back. Probably I would say like nineteen I want to say like nineteen ninety seven ish, maybe not exactly nineteen ninety seven, but somewhere in that some of that area, and the Padres had a middling team. Tony Gwynn was still there. I think they had Wall Joiner was playing for them, Greg Vaughn, Caminetti, those guys, And I was working in LA I had started in San Diego a few years before that, and so I did cover the Podres a little bit, kind of when I just got my feet wet at the mighty six ninety. I would go to those games, actually sit in the crowd a lot. But in those days we were covering games all the time, and I was good friends with one of the Podre reporters who was buddies with Tony Gwinn, So I kind of had an inn and we would go hang out. There was a great fraternal order back in those days, where we'd all a bunch of young radio guys and we'd all go across the street from the Big A and there was this place called the National Sports Grille, which was this really cool sports bar. They had restaurant on one side, they had pool tables and a bar on the other side, and it was a cool place. We had a good time.
Speaker 1: We had fun that whole thing.
Speaker 3: Uh. Anyway, so we would go over there and after the Padres had played the Angels and uh, I want to say around ninety seven, one of those, one of those years early and Potters weren't particularly good. The Angels were okay, uh, and we went over to the National Sports Gull and Bruce Bochi came in there to have a beer and Bochie sat. He sat kind of near us like we were, you know, because he knew one of the guys that we were with. And then we started playing pool and Bochie joined in, and you know, he didn't he didn't talk all that much. But I remember two things about Bochie. I remember he was very nice, quiet, and he had that eyebrow thing. I don't know what that is, but the the weird eyebrow that you know what I'm talking about, Danny.
Speaker 1: Of the Boche, Yeah, yeah, I know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I kept looking at that. I tried not to, but it was hard not to look at that.
Speaker 1: And but he it was very cool.
Speaker 3: It's just nice down to earth guy. But at that time, he wasn't Bruce Bochie right at that time, and the Padres had some good teams with Bochie. But he became a legend with the San Francisco Giants. I mean he did. They won one pennant with the Padres. They got they got the I think it was actually the year after that, ninety eight. I think they got to the World Series ninety seven. I think it was the year that we had a little rendezvous or whatever. But he became a legend with the Giants. Crazy how many years he's managed. He managed twelve years with the Padres, thirteen years with the Giants, and now he's with the Rangers.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: So any wild celebrities with randoms, athletes throwing darts with bonds.
Speaker 1: Not an athlete, but somebody that you probably admired as a kid the same way I did. And it has to do with your friend shats I'm in command. Think back to TJ. Hooker, who is the beautiful blonde on that show.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm bad with.
Speaker 1: Name Heather Lockleier. Oh so let me take you to Cisco's Mexican Inn in Westlake Village, California, about fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Ago, beautiful Westlake Village couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, went out with some friends. There was a breakfast place in town where I was friends with the owners of the breakfast restaurant, and the two women who owned the place. They showed up that night to Cisco's with their friend, Heather Locklear. Now Cisco's opened up their dance floor, their DJ started playing music and we're all dancing together. I got a little grind on action from Heather Lockleier. Oh yes, it was a childhood dream come true. The next morning, we were all blurry eyed and at their restaurant eating breakfast, and she showed up with her sunglasses on. She had been up way too late like the rest of us, and we all kind of ate our eggs and toast and laughed about what we did the night before.
Speaker 3: And what what year roughly was this when the Melrose Place era where we.
Speaker 1: Well, this is like two thousand and eight. Okay, so this is yeah, so older Heather Locklear, but she was still very beautiful.
Speaker 3: Gigy. Yeah, no, for sure, I assume she probably still lives in the same same spot, right, and somewhere somewhere on that.
Speaker 1: Area she's raising our kid, right, now, all right.
Speaker 3: We'll get out. We got NFL games to check out. I'll be going to the Rams game today. I'm excited about that, feeling groovy, feeling groovy about that. Eddie will be there, so maybe I'll track down Eddie. He'll be in full Steeler merchandise and all that, watching his team lose to the Rams, who will ram it all day and ram it all night. And I'll be back on the radio tonight. Now, if you're listening very early and you live in the New York City area, or you have access to s n Y Benny Versus the Penny at eleven thirty this morning in the Eastern time zone there in the Big Apple, you can hear and watch the TV show, So make sure you do that. Help us out, and I'll be back on the radio tonight eleven o'clock in the West, and that is two am on the Eastern seaboard where most people live in the United States. What are you all going on.
Speaker 1: Danny, Well, besides this podcast, it's all about the Raiders today. Hopefully they'll take Chicago Ben and be one game over five hundred, which is a big deal for the Raiders this deep into a season and of course, tomorrow it'll be the Monday edition with that trivia game that your voice is featured on. Last One Standing with Covino and Rich in the afternoon Slash Evening. That's two to four pm on the West Coast and five to seven pm in New York City.
Speaker 3: Out Stanny Heavy. Great week. We'll see how the downloads go. This could be the final Sunday podcast for a while, but hopefully not. Hopefully not. We like the Mailbag. That's my favorite podcast is the Mailbag. I love the random questions. You don't know what you're gonna get. It like a box of chocolates, as they said in the famous movie with Tom Hanks back in the day. All Right, we'll catch you next time. Have a wonderful Sunday. May all your bets be winning ones Later Skater, Hello Joe Hi, I like the Saints got a murder.
Speaker 1: I gotta go