Speaker 1: Hello, Snaffoo listeners. I've been pondering the world's deepest questions.
Speaker 2: Why are we here?
Speaker 3: Who will win the World Cup later this week?
Speaker 2: What is the meaning of life?
Speaker 3: Are La boo boos always.
Speaker 1: Going to be popular or is it just like a twenty twenty five thing? And if so, what's the new la boo boo of twenty twenty six? Is there a chance I could make an ed booboo?
Speaker 2: You know what? No?
Speaker 3: AnyWho, The people who do the real cognitive acrobatics, the real critical ponderers. Those are the folks that get me really thinking the most, people like Adam Grant, Kara Swisher, Scott Galloway, Kelly Corrigan, or one of my oldest buddies, Jada bum Rat. The best part is all of those folks appeared on Snaffoo this season, and they blew me away with their adept insights and quick witticisms. The way these folks interpret and evaluate snaffoos it's really cool. It's eye opening and incredibly insightful and also at times extremely funny. So this week I'm really excited to share a few of my favorite moments with our favorite thought leaders. Enjoyment Kelly Gorgan Wonders is a phenomenal podcast which I highly recommend. You're five years in over seven hundred episodes. The format of the show, it's basically a masterclass in human curiosity, in exploring what makes us tick, what we fear and love, and how we cope. And I'm just curious, after all of that deep listening, do.
Speaker 1: You feel any closer to the secret of living a good life? Or is there anything like some crazy counterintuitive revelation about the human condition that you've landed on.
Speaker 4: More than sometimes when you're listening to someone a guest on the show, so they synthesize things in such a memorable way that it's almost like I've sort of known this, I've sort of intuited this my whole life, but now you just put the words on it. So two that come to mind or this. We had this neuroscientist on named Lisa feldmcbarratt. She's some top one percent scientists cited worldwide, so in any discipline, so.
Speaker 2: She's really respected.
Speaker 4: And she has a great book called How Emotions Are Made, And that's what we were talking about. And the line she said was the best thing for a human central nervous system is another human central nervous system, and the worst thing for a human central nervous system is another human central nervous ament. So pick your human central nervous systems wisely, right, And that's the feeling that you get. I mean, that's what happened when we first met. Really is my es central nervous system in your central nervousystem kind of wrapped up against each other.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh, this is a good Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of pressure when you're like on the life partner choices.
Speaker 2: That's like, oh, geez, I better get this right.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I mean, this other guest said that we're an average of the five people we spend the most time with M and so that's sort of a related thought. And then this other guest said that listening is so close to love that most people can't tell the difference.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And so if you kind of glue those all together, you get some clarity about like who you're looking for out there, and you're looking for people who can be still, who can listen, who can take it in, And that's the central nervous system that's going to work for you. And that's the central nervous system that's going to make you better.
Speaker 1: I love that because I've always felt that profound insights are things that we hear that were like these aha moments.
Speaker 2: They feel like aha moments, right, they feel like things that.
Speaker 1: Like, oh my god, what a revelation. I now understand that better. But you're really just it's our It's actually just.
Speaker 2: A affirming something that you already felt. The only reason it's.
Speaker 1: An AHA moment is because you know that it's true the second you hear it, because it resonates with something already in you to And I just I.
Speaker 2: Love that because it speaks to this.
Speaker 1: Like kind of like grand human intuition that we all share and that we all could we all understand these fundamental truths.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that intuition is being developed and honed by knowledge. How you feel from podcasting that you're just full of so much more information to draw from, Like I feel like my inputs in the last five years have gone through the roof.
Speaker 1: I love that podcasting has emerged as such a vital medium in our culture now because it feels.
Speaker 2: Like an antidote to social media. It feels like an antidote to all of.
Speaker 1: The that just like crazy, flashy quick disposable stuff. Yes, to your point, it has provided a great scaffolding for my curiosity and connection with so many cool people like yourself. I see this as basically the collision of two very primal emotions. It's rage versus fear. You have the workers raging about inequality, and then of course elites are afraid of losing their status and their fancy things. Is this dynamic just baked into capitalism or is there a better way that is socialism kind of trying to have both both sides.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think.
Speaker 6: I mean, Scott can talk more about this because he talks about sort of the rage. But one of the things I just interviewed Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 2: It was very good.
Speaker 6: It was very mad about the oligarchs. He's a book called Fighting Oligarchy, And you know, so, I think this isn't a new thing. But one of the things that's important to keep in mind is that it's usually preceded by an area where lots of people get really rich, like really really rich, and we're in that and many years ago when this income and equality started to really and then the tech people are the new winners, essentially tech moguls. When they started to get ahead. I went to one of them and I said, we have a real problem with incoming quality. You could see the numbers the minimum wage hadn't hadn't been rising, And I said, you're either going to have to deal with the inequality and give people a better wage like solve it, or you're going to have to armor plate your tesla. And I looked at him and I realized he wanted to armor plate his tesla.
Speaker 5: That was okay.
Speaker 6: Like they thought that they had gotten all their money by their own doing and not by help by the government, etc. And they didn't care about people, And you could see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: For the If I were to try and think of one piece of data that explains the epicenter of many of our problems, it would be the following. For the first time in our two hundred and seventy five year history, a thirty year old American isn't doing as well as his or her parents were at thirty, and that not only keeps creates rage and shame among a young group of people who are more likely to pick up guns, specifically young men, it creates rage and shame.
Speaker 2: Across the household.
Speaker 7: The algorithm or the power and you're referring to it plays out over and over in a capitalist society, and it's the following. A group of very talented, very hard working, and very lucky people gather a disproportionate amount of assets, and then we talk ourselves into believing that it is patriotic and not a bad thing to create tax policy, legislative policy, and regulatory captures such that corporations can have their lowest taxes since nineteen thirty nine. Now such at the twenty six wealthiest families in America pan average tax rate of six percent. That is now the bad news about income in equalities.
Speaker 2: That always happens.
Speaker 7: The good news is it's always self correcting. And more bad news, though, is that the means of correction are usually war, famine, or revolution. And I would argue that as revolutions take on new complexion, we're in the midst of a series of small revolutions. Black Lives Matter and the Me Too movement, we're both righteous movements that had real justifiable components. But they weren't going after the sexual harassmer owner of a taco truck. They weren't going after someone who is racist in a small company. They were going after rich people and at some point when the bottom fifty two percent of America have the same amount of wealth as Elon Musk, they figure out that the fastest way to double their wealth is to.
Speaker 2: Go after that person.
Speaker 7: And that's where we are. At some point. We are having a series of small revolutions to try and correct income inequality.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Heavy, that's a good break heavy, that's heavy. It's a good breakdown, and people.
Speaker 5: Are getting it.
Speaker 6: I'm sort of shocked we haven't had much more of a of a revolution or anger over money.
Speaker 1: The crazy thing is that back in nineteen nineteen these workers were in like really horrendous conditions and still trying to make it work.
Speaker 2: But it's sort of it's all relative, right.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter what, like what the actual conditions might be. It's the disparity itself that is So that just feels so off.
Speaker 7: Well, that's a that's a great that's a great point. Just interrupt you, because if there's something to the notion, and this is true, this is a true statement. A middle class person right now is living better than the richest person on the planet one hundred years ago. And middle class Mississippi's our poor estate. It has a higher household income than the UK or Germany or France. So America is actually you could correctly say a middle class person in the US is thriving and doing really well. But that's not how the human brain works. The human brain sees two hundred and ten times a day that if they're not on a Gulf streamer, don't have a boyfriend with ripped abs, that they're failing. And also they're living with roommates because they the price of a home went from two ninety to four hundred and twenty thousand dollars during COVID because we flushed the market was so much stimulus because me or you or care getting less wealthy would be a crime greater than a million people dying. And the natural cycle of redistributing income destroying capital during crises that seeds economic advantage back from the capital owners to labor. We didn't allow happen. And what was most criminal about it was we use their credit card to pay for our incumbency. So these people, you know, you can understand people say young people are entitled.
Speaker 2: No they're not.
Speaker 7: They're entitled to be enraged. And you have just this incredible shifting of economic prosperity, and there reminded several hundred times a day on their phones that they're failing.
Speaker 2: So try to tell that.
Speaker 7: It's like the mistake democrats made trying to tell people inflation is not that bad. Well, okay, it feels that bad to me. And I also want to be clear, this is a bipartisan issue. What Trump has effectively done really well is like, Okay, Republicans and Republican donors, I'm going to divide up TikTok. I'm going to give you ai legislation that makes you richer. And Democrats who are really rich and whole lot of the power. There's a really uncomfortable silence of conspiracy that says, don't get too angry because you're going to make bank if you're a rich Democrat. And one of the most disappointing things about this is good democrats who are in positions of powers have been fucking silent on all of this. Why could stop stop? It hurts so good? My taxes are going down.
Speaker 6: I would agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely brutal.
Speaker 6: And also, you know, at the it's all often at the expense of the young towards the old, and you know, you see it in Congress where they're you know, antiquated, and they're making rules that would benefit But the top.
Speaker 8: Groups that has that story has all the things ed like that. That is a that is that is something I liked how you kind of right at the Connecticut moment, you sort of you spun it into a a sort of clue knives out who done it kind of situation. They lived large back then, you know, they explored large, They they poisoned large, They beefed pretty large. It's a it's a I feel like our lives are soft and small by comparison, although maybe we're better for it. You know, that's quite a tale.
Speaker 1: What I love about this story and what I loved about it for you in particular, was how science is part of the murder mystery. And I I always loved how, you know, Radio Lab episodes would unpack a narrative, whether it was a mystery, whether it was even a science based narrative. Very often science was part of the if not the sort of mechanism of discovery in Radio Lab episodes. Yeah, it speaks to the power of science both from just a a research standpoint. I mean, here's a guy at Dartmouth, this lumis professor. He's just writing a biography and and and turns out, Oh, I've got reason to suspect.
Speaker 2: He was murdered.
Speaker 1: We're going to go dig him up and run these tests on him, and lo and behold, all this new evidence emerges. And there's just no end to what we can learn when science is applied in the right ways and with creativity.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what I was thinking about as you were talking was the way science has changed over the years. Right, there was a period in the nineteenth century and really in the precise moment that this story is unfolding, where what it meant to be a scientist It was this kind of like the era of the gentleman scientist, where they would get on a boat and sail to a new land and they would collect species, and then they would create these cabinets of curiosities of butterflies and birds and you know, all kinds of marsupials, and there's something sort of imperial about it, and there's such an abundance, and they're grabbing from the land and really collecting and trying to out do each other. But on the other hand, and there is just this kind of wonderful sense of openness and discovery of the world is full of things that might seem magical, but we through inquiry and a method, will demystify them and we can there's a sense of like a naive sense that we can know everything. And it's interesting to juxtapose that in a split screen in your mind to where we are now, where there's science has never been more robust, and there's so much. I mean, my mother, just as a personal example, has been studying one protein for forty something years at this point in what capacity as a as a biologist she discovered or not discovered. I mean, it was there, but she kind of came to know this protein, brought it to the world's attention, and has been studying it every day for forty years. And like that's what science is now. It's just like unbelievable rigor and dedication and discipline. And yet you're in this like Maha moment when Chah, science kind of hold on the truth has been a bit marginalized. But you know, I say to myself, and I'm spinning myself into a cul de sac here, I say to myself, you know, science was always one way of knowing the world, and it's not the only way, and now all the different ways have to compete, and maybe that's maybe that's where we are.
Speaker 2: Very well said.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, that the sort of magic of science is getting confused with the magic of wellness. Stories that make you feel good wellness, narratives that grossly oversimplify and just kind of give us that doorphin rush. But good science, hard science, disciplined science, also provides that it's just a lot harder, and it's a lot harder to consume. In nineteen oh seven, Ponzi landed in Montreal and scored a job as an assistant teller at a small bank serving Italian immigrants, and it was there that he witnessed the original mad of the scam he would later perfect. His boss, Luigi Zorosi, lured depositors with absurdly generous interest rates, and amazingly he would pay them, of course, by funneling new deposits straight to the earlier investors. It was a beautifully unsustainable system. So when the bank inevitably crashed and Zorosi bolted for Mexico to avoid accountability, Ponzi was left behind, unemployed but newly educated in the fine art of financial Tom foolery. Now most of us would look at this whole mess and think, Okay, well that backfired. Maybe crime doesn't pay. What can you tell us about the psychology of someone who definitely does not learn that lesson, in fact sort of learns the opposite lesson of like here's more opportunity. I mean, do you see like sociopathy at play or is it just sort of that healthy or maybe unhealthy ego with a kind of rules don't apply swagger.
Speaker 2: I mean, how dark is that?
Speaker 9: So there are three traits that would normally predict being attracted to that kind of that kind of scheme, and the psychologists call them the dark triad, and you hit on one of them pretty closely anyway. They're being a narcissist, being Machiavelian, and being a psychopath.
Speaker 2: H And I.
Speaker 9: Think we're probably talking about Machiavelianism here more than we are being a narcissist or or a psychopath or sociopath, because what this kind of scheme is really about is it's about manipulating other people and using them for personal gain. And you don't have to have a giant inflated ego to want to do that. You don't have to feel no empathy for other people. You just have to be a little bit callous around, feeling like, you know what, I can use other people a little bit. And in fact, I think part of the appeal of a Ponzi scheme is you look at that and you say, well, you know, if I can keep it going, actually I'm going to profit and no one else is going to get hurt because each like each each former investor is going to get their money back because of a new one. And so all I have to do is perpetuate it. And you know, I'm just I'm exploiting a loophole in the system. I'm not exploiting people so much. And I think if you tell yourself that story, you probably sleep at night. And it doesn't it doesn't require much more than a little bit of machiavelianism.
Speaker 2: The scale of his operation.
Speaker 1: That's what's so mind blowing is that like the buy in from so many different people, like the eagerness to want, like the desire for this to be true is and for this all to be like a functioning, healthy way to make money. It's like the things we can force ourselves to believe, Like he's the perpetrator Ponzi or Bernie made Off like they're the perpetrators. They're either deluding themselves or they're just like criminals or whatever they're whatever's going on with them. I mean, there's the investors who are just pure victims. But then there are people who are in the organization, right, they're in the running of these things, and they have to have a sense of like this doesn't add up, or it's just like I'm gonna keep my head in the sand. I'm not gonna like this spreadsheet looks weird to me, but I'm just not gonna ask, because boy, it feels good to trust this, like nice old man Bernie, who just seems to know who's been venerated by the great financial institutions for decades.
Speaker 9: There are terms that have been coined to describe what happens to a lot of people in the orbit of a Ponzier made off. Bendura called it moral disengagement. Ten Brunzel and Mesk have called it ethical fading, where you just you stop applying a principled lens to the situation you're in because other people are accepting it, and you assume, well, you know, surely these are not bad people.
Speaker 2: I see them, you know, their their.
Speaker 9: Decent parents and partners and caring bosses, and you know they couldn't be doing anything bad, and you lose sight of the lines that are being crossed. I think that that could be part of what's happening in their orbit. And maybe the other piece of this is I was thinking about Maria Kannakova, a psychologist turned poker champ who wrote a book called The Confidence Game, and there's a quote in that book that shook me. Maria wrote, the true con artist doesn't force us to do anything. He makes us complicit in our own undoing.
Speaker 1: Adam, what are you and I complicit in right now that we have no idea?
Speaker 2: Is part of our own doing?
Speaker 9: I really hope nothing, But you know, just thinking about what happens to the early employees, in the early clients, they are to recruit other people into the scheme. Of course, you try to get your friends hired at this great company. You try to get your you know, your family to invest in this, you know, this fun with incredible returns, and pretty soon you have a strong incentive to see no evil.
Speaker 2: I want to bring this into the present moment a little bit. I love digging into this.
Speaker 1: Story because of how hyper relevant it feels today in the age of Internet scammers and just this sort of like new generation of con.
Speaker 2: Artists that have emerged.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's funny to think of Charles Ponzi as perhaps now him being like an Instagram influencer, you know, who's just like taking people in.
Speaker 2: But here's just a few stats.
Speaker 1: The FBI reported that Americans lost sixteen point six billion dollars to online scams, which is a thirty three percent increase from twenty twenty three. Do you think that there is also a way that sort of the online distance from a con artist and like us when we're in our own bubble and we don't have other people to sort of cross reference with or bounce an idea off of does does the solitary nature of internet interaction make us additionally more vulnerable or less vulnerable? Or I mean it does seem like the Internet is just a cesspool of scam Yeah.
Speaker 9: I would love to see some data on this. I have not seen a good analysis. I think I have a similar hunch to yours, which is the isolation can make it really easy to to fall for a scam. I think the other piece of it is you're missing some of the cues that would normally you know, sort of you know, even if you didn't recognize them consciously. You know, you interact with a con artist face to face, and you start to get a gut feeling sometimes I don't.
Speaker 2: Quite trust this person.
Speaker 9: I don't know why, but you know, maybe maybe I should verify, or maybe I should you know, wait a little bit. And you're just deprived of a lot of those cues.
Speaker 2: Over the internet.
Speaker 9: Sometimes you don't even know if it's a human or a bot that's you know, that's pitching you. And so I think that that probably makes it harder for people to use whatever intuition they have around judging people's trustworthiness. What's the what's the New Yorker cartoon on the internet? No one knows You're a dog?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, Well that's more of a catfish joke.
Speaker 2: No, but I guess it's uh, I guess it works here just as well.
Speaker 1: This app was building a surprisingly detailed dossier on you, your psychology and that of your entire digital entourage.
Speaker 2: Question, do you.
Speaker 1: Think that the average American at that time had any sense of how this kind of personal information that that everyone was sharing just exhaustively could be turned against them or or were we just high on digital narcissism?
Speaker 2: No, I mean an American.
Speaker 10: Americans are very interesting in that they will say that privacy is very important to them, but they will give up their privacy for almost anything.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 10: It's like they will tell you, you know, that they don't want to, you know, put the name of their children online, but if it got them ten percent off at ross dress for less, they.
Speaker 5: Will absolutely give you all that and more so.
Speaker 10: Companies are always sort of doing this weird dance where they're trying to get you to reveal as much as they possibly can without it accidentally blowing up in their face.
Speaker 11: Well, and this was also an era that was called sort of the open graph era of Facebook. Basically, they were trying to turn Facebook from an app where you would go and you know, stock your crushes from college or whatever, to a platform where other apps could build things. There were apps like Farmville that you could play inside Facebook. You could use Facebook to log into Spotify or any other number of services, and that was part of this quiz push was like you could build things on top of Facebook, and then Facebook would actually send some of that data to the developers of the quizzes. This was the same protocol, the same process that they used to connect people with Farmville games and Spotify.
Speaker 1: The best case use of that data would just be for that app to reach more users, or at this point, what's the reason for being just so give and.
Speaker 2: Take with this data.
Speaker 10: So Facebook used to have this very permissive what they call an API and application programming interface. It's essentially just a piece of software that lets other pieces of software talk to each other. And there was a time when Facebook invested really heavily in that because they wanted essentially every other software to connect whatever they were building to Facebook.
Speaker 5: Facebook thought, this is the way.
Speaker 10: That we are going to grow and take over the world is essentially everything runs through this. And the way that Facebook was able to attract so many of those people to its platforms was by saying, we will give you data that you can't get anywhere else. Right, there aren't a lot of other places where you can go if you're a legitimate researcher, a shady researcher, somebody who's making a mobile game, and immediately get not just my name and my email address and my phone number, but also at the time the names of all of my friends and their phone numbers and their email addresses. So for people like the ones who wound up building the app that led to Cambridge Analytica, this was a gold mine. It was an absolute bananza and it really benefited Facebook until it did.
Speaker 1: And do you think we've gotten just back to that initial question about how you know we share information online?
Speaker 2: Have we gotten any better at this? Or?
Speaker 1: I mean, in casey, I love your analogy, if we get a discount on something.
Speaker 3: We're just like, yeah, take whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Here's here's my mother's maiden name.
Speaker 1: But are we just that lazy, like where our brains are just wired for heuristics, like we just want the shortcuts everywhere.
Speaker 10: I think there have been some major changes and you can see it when you log onto social media, right. You used to log onto Facebook and Instagram and you see your friends and family. Now you see a clip from a podcast you've never heard of, right, And that's you know, has several causes behind it, but one of the big ones is that Americans are sharing less. The whole bargain that they struck with Facebook of hey, I'll give you all my information in exchange for you keeping up on the divorces of my high school classmates. That bargain doesn't feel like that's as good anymore. And so all the real sharing is happening in these private group chats, and all the public stuff is kind of more you know, creator content and you know, celebrities and all of that.
Speaker 5: So in that respect, I really do think things have changed now.
Speaker 10: At the same time, can I get you to give up information if I give you something of relatively low value? Yes, I think that is still broadly the case across you know, many different dimensions.
Speaker 11: Well, And I also think like AI has become the sort of next frontier of this because people are sharing all kinds of stuff with pots. People are having therapy sessions. Yeah, they're confessing their crimes. They're like people are doing People are having these conversations that are very intimate in some cases, and I don't think they know or particularly care what's happening to that data on the other end.
Speaker 2: Wow, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just I've gotten much more anxious about this over the last few years.
Speaker 11: What kinds of times are you doing it?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Well, I mean the stuff I've already told to Chad Gbt.
Speaker 2: It's all, that's all, just in the murder category.
Speaker 1: Snaffo is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snaffoo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from Good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and the Collected Works. Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Klein, and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Carrie Leeberman and Nikki Ator. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's.
Speaker 2: Greatest screw Ups.
Speaker 1: It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to snaffoo dashbook dot com.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening, and see you next week.