Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Carroll and this is Here's Why, where we take one news story and explain it in just a few minutes with our experts here at Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: This is the gold card, as you know, the Secretary of Commerce and myself and some others have been working on for quite a while. Essentially, it's the green card on steroids.
Speaker 4: The UK is considering a new invite only investor visa that would cost five million pounds as the nation seeks to revive its reputation as a wealth hub. Hundreds of people have applied for those visas within the first few months.
Speaker 2: Pledging over a billion dollars in New Zealand fans. For decades, golden visas have offered wealthy investors an easier path to move in country. The formula is simple, invest money to gain residency and perhaps one day even citizenship. But that bargain is changing. Some governments have decided the old model went too far. Oh, Theys still want wealthy immigrants, but on different terms. And while gold and visas aren't disappearing, they are being redesigned. So here's why golden visas are being polished. Our reporter, Charlie Wells, joins us now for more. Charlie, First of all, what exactly is a golden visa?
Speaker 1: Well, these are effectively residents by investment programs, and they've been popular in some European countries. They've been popular in some Caribbean countries and also Australia and New Zealand. And basically what they do is they give wealthy investors, people who can pony up tens of thousands, if not millions of dollars, the right to reside in countries. And these have grown in popularity at a moment where geopolitical tensions have been making some people feel maybe less comfortable in their home country than they were before, at a time when a lot of people maybe want to come to say Western Europe, or come to the United States where they have maybe a little bit more freedom of mobility, of movement of capital. And so these programs have been really attractive for some of these people who are sort of looking for a plan B. They've also been attractive for countries who are looking for the investment that comes with this, for some of the fees that come with this, and then also the tax revenue that come if these wealthy people start to reside in their countries. How hard is a golden vasa to get? They're expensive, I think that's the most important thing across the board. They tend to reach into the hundreds, if not millions of dollars as far as these sorts of investments that residents or aspiring residents need to make. And one of the more popular programs was in Portugal, where at one point it was popular for people who wanted to get a golden visa in Portugal to invest as little as three hundredundred and fifty thousand euros in property that is basically the price of a flat in Lisbon in some parts of Lisbon. And so this really made that program popular, but it also created something of a backlash, of a backlash in Portugal. And then also you saw a lot of similar programs kind of question the utility of this, and so they've become more difficult recently.
Speaker 2: So how have those debates been playing out in places like Portugal, which you're choosing to tighten some of the rules around their golden visas other countries have been winding them down altogether? What's behind that?
Speaker 1: A lot of this has to do with concerns about both immigration and the housing market. So at once, we've seen in the United States and in Western Europe heated rhetoric about immigration, politicians looking to clamp down on borders. At the same time, you've also seen housing prices increase, and so there's a tendency in a number of protests movements to actually key in to kind of focus in on some of these Golden visa programs. Now, these programs have brought in in some cases, billions of dollars to countries who have them. The effect on the housing market is a little bit more contested, right, how many people actually take up these properties and kind of drive up prices. But they're a popular punching bag because you can effectively say, look, the actual citizens of this country are struggling with housing prices, while you are allowing wealthy individuals to come buy property that we can't afford, drive up the prices, and maybe not even live here full time. So that's a narrative it's almost impossible to ignore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly, and it becomes very tied up with that key issue of housing, which is called shortages, and so many cities around the world. It's su different picture though if we think about what was happening in New Zealand, because they've revamped their Golden visa offer recently to make it more attractive to investors. Is there a lot of competition then between countries to try and bring in these wealthy people.
Speaker 1: Everybody wants tax revenue, right, And what we know is that wealthy people are very mobile. They can afford to make property investments in numerous countries, they can afford to travel, they can afford to make these sorts of investments. And so it was interesting because, yes, at a time when a lot of European countries have been tightening their restrictions, increasing the amount of money that wealthy individuals need to make, or even just shutting down their programs, New Zealand is actually making it easier, right, so allowing wealthy migrants to count philanthropic donations toward the investment requirements. So we know that New Zealand's housing market has been in a difficult place. We know that their economy has been in a difficult place. So what you tend to see is this sort of back and forth where when a housing market heats up, there is resistance because people on the ground are concerned when a housing market cools down we've been seeing in New Zealand, you can see a little bit more of an opening for these programs, more demand from the government.
Speaker 2: The United States then started offering a new Trump gold card late last year. What's different about that prograp and what do we know about the takeup of it?
Speaker 1: This was a striking policy announcement from Donald Trump. And what differentiates this American program from a lot of the other popular golden visa programs is the fact that instead of making an investment in property, instead of making an investment in say some sort of fund within a country, you're just paying a million dollars. It's a fee, right, So it's a fee, not an investment. And the idea from Trump was to try to attract wealthy entrepreneurs, wealthy individuals to the United States. The reality has been a lot different because, as Bloomberg reported earlier in April, only one person, according to the Administry, had been approved for the program. So it's a flashy policy. It's one that Trump has certainly tried to make the case for, but the demand is just not there right now.
Speaker 2: So overall, then, charitie, is it becoming easier or more difficult for wealthy investors to secure these kinds of visas and to move country on the basis of them. It's a shifting landscape, and there's a tension where a lot of policy, a lot of regulation has become more parochial. But a lot of wealthy individuals, a lot of capital, a lot of people have become more mobile.
Speaker 1: And I think that there will continue to be attention here where you have this demand from countries for a strong tax base for talent, and you also have pushback from people on the ground when economic conditions change. So I think the reality is that we see changes in these policies. You see countries that loosen the restrictions and then tighten them. You see countries talking about them and come sort of new and different ways that might change the phrasing so they become a little bit more politically palatable. So it seems like these programs aren't going away, and there is certainly demand from all across the globe for them. So it seems like they have a book continue.
Speaker 2: Okay, Charlie Wells, thank you very much for more explanations like this from our team of three thousand journalists and analysts around the world. Go to Bloomberg dot com, slash explainers. I'm Stephen Carroll. This is here's why. I'll be back next week with more. Thanks for listening.