Speaker 1: Hey, it's Brooklyn Adams and I'm partnering with Abercommedy to tell you about the newest drop from their Active brand, Your Personal Best. YPB Luggings are made with buttery soft fabrics that hug you in all the right places and common Abercomy's viral curve love fit designed to eliminate waste gap, Paired with sports bras and super soft sweatshirts. It's active word that supports every part of my busy lifestyle and gives me my best but ever. Heading to the new year feeling your personal best. Shop Active by Abercrombie in the app, online and in stores.
Speaker 2: There's a new app where you can invest in your insight. Introducing Draft Kings Predictions now available in your state. Big on playoff football. Pick a topic, make your prediction with a yes or no, then see well your smart's payoff. DraftKings Predictions is new, simple to use with playoff trading available in your state. Download now. New DraftKings Predictions Customers get up to a twenty five dollars first trade bonus with promo code Spotify. That's promo code Spotify. Don't just know it, predict it with Draft Kings Predictions. The Crown is Yours Draft Kings Predictions is a CFTC registered introducing broker. The then contract trading involves substantial risk of loss one per new customer, often required non withdrawable predictions dollars expire in one year, hence January twenty fifth, twenty twenty six. Market availability varies. Eligibility restrictions apply. See terms at DKNG dot co. Slash Predictions Promo.
Speaker 3: Wednesdays are when we like to drop something from the Film Spotting Archive for all our listeners. Of course, the entire archive available to those Film Spotting family members. Now on this Friday show, we're going to be doing our twenty twenty six movie preview draft, going back and forth with picks. Those movies were anticipating the most coming out this year, and yeah, maybe a movie from Christopher Noland might be chosen fairly.
Speaker 4: High on the drive. I can't believe it went seventh.
Speaker 5: Josh crazy, so crazy that we thought six other films that we were more excited about than The Odyssey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a year. It's going to be.
Speaker 5: We do have our draft coming up and that is probably the biggest title. With that in mind, we were thinking about Christopher Nolan. But Josh, there's there's another tie in Sundance is going on. And I don't know if you remember this, but Christopher Nolan's Memento screened at Sundance twenty five years ago this month. It didn't premiere there. It had already played at Venice in two thousand and Toronto, but it did screen at Sundance. So with that connection and the connection to Nolan's Odyssey, which we are looking forward to this summer, we thought, why not let's go backwards maybe then forwards. I don't know how it all works, let's try to make sense of it by.
Speaker 3: I mean, you got us every time. I've got to rewatch it and then figure out what happened. But I do know it's brilliant any which way you look at it, which we did not too long ago, Adam. Twenty twenty, we did a Nolan overview, took all of his films in order up to that point, watched them, rewatch them essentially, and had a fresh conversation. This was something we were doing during COVID and lockdowns, no new releases, no theaters opened, thinking about ways to talk about the movie still and a Nolan overview was, I think a great way to do that. So many good conversations, including this one about Memento.
Speaker 6: Bretman in Los Angeles. I remember nineteen years ago to the Dances Film Festival January of two thousand and one and seeing a little movie called Amento that completely blew me away then and we watched it, completely blows me away. Now, why is it one of the great Neon wires? Because I think it is. I think he uses the mechanics of film itself, the unstoppable ordering of shots, to create a feeling of noir. You're always looking forward and backwards in this movie. You have anxiety for the future. You're trap by a doom past. I mean, that's noir, and either Leonard nor the audience can ever escape it. My sound of looking at me kind of funny. Hey, Riley, have I ever told you about Memento? Well, go wash your hands or remember Sammy Jenkins.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bret. Good stuff there, And certainly the noir tradition is a useful lens, a crucial lens in a lot of ways through which to look at Memento. Momento debuted at the Venice Film Festival in September two thousand went on to play at the Toronto International Film Fest that same month, and then in January of two thousand and one it played sun Dance opened in the US a limited release at first in March, and at its widest release was on about five hundred screens. So for a very small film made an impressive twenty five million dollars domestic forty million dollars worldwide. Got some Oscar attention to nominations Best Editing, which I want to talk about. Dottie Dorn got that nomination, and then Best Original Screenplay, a nomination that Nolan shared with his brother Jonathan. Jonathan wrote this short story that Memento is based on, So that story to remind those of you who haven't seen the film in a while or didn't get a chance to revisit it before. This guy Pierce stars plays a man suffering from short term memory loss who's trying to avenge his wife's murder and to do that, he has a couple of polaroids that hold some clues, as well as the tattoos pretty much covering his upper body. Those are also clues that he's left himself. And you know, Nolan didn't think that was complicated enough so he and his brother structure this in reverse chronological order. I want to start at talking about Christopher Nolan's brother Jonathan and asking you a question related to something we talked about when we started our OOV review and talked about Following and this idea that the twist there were two twists in Following, and how we felt while they were clever and entertaining, maybe lacked that existential slash philosophical heft that some of Nolan's later films had. I think that heft is all over Memento. I mean, this is this is I liked Following quite a bit, but this is a huge leap watching them back to back, and I wonder if Jonathan Nolan, his younger brother, if he maybe unlocked Christopher Nolan here, If that's a way of looking at this film quickly. Jonathan Nolan. He went on to co write The Prestige, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Interstellar with Christopher, and then on his own. He's been executive producer for two TV series, Person of Interest in Westworld. He directed a few episodes in each of those series. So yeah, going back to Memento, did he sort of find a way in this material to provide that philosophical theft. Think about this one element Lenny Guy Pierce's character talking about why getting vengeance matters even if he forgets that he got that vengeance, and he says this, the world doesn't just disappear because you close your eyes, and that is, you know, just one thought that kind of makes you stop in your tracks and really rethink how you've thought about things like time and vengeance and morality and reality. And then the brilliant thing about Memento is it doesn't just sit there and pontificate on it. It keeps moving, and it goes moving and it moves backwards and you're you know, and so then you're thrown into another sort of existential dilemma. And so yeah, I just thought bringing Jonathan in, whether you know this is something that Nolan would have gotten to himself at some point or is it something his brother kind of brought out in him.
Speaker 5: Well, First to quick clarifications, he doesn't like to be called Lenny Josh. His wife called him Lenny, so call him Lennrue. And also just to be really specific about it, even though I think all of our listeners understand not just short term memory loss, but the inability to create any new memories, right, that's really at the heart of his condition.
Speaker 3: And watching from the point, from the point of the attack.
Speaker 5: Point of the attack, exactly the last thing he remembers, The only thing he truly remembers is that attack on his wife when his life changed forever. And I'll just say this isn't even really a disclaimer. It's just a fact. I had so many pages of notes scribbled around in my notebook rewatching this film, and it was the first time I watched it since two thousand and one. I'm trying to crack the code of this movie and looking for all the answers that I really felt way too much of a kinship with Leonard, and I finally just had to put the notebook down, and I decided that, you know what, we're going to talk about it. We're going to do our best and we'll see what we make of it. And I think that your approach with Jonathan Nolan is interesting. I hadn't really thought about it at all. It wasn't something that I suppose mattered to me as I pondered this film, But I think I can fit it into some of my thoughts on the film, particularly if there's something that maybe Jonathan Nolan unlocked in him, even though there was already this element at play to an extent in following, is that he gave him a story that was rooted in some familiar movie conventions that Nolan clearly likes to play with. But it did not only hint at and more than hint at, force you to sort of go down this rabbit hole of larger existential and philosophical questions. But he did it with a story that I think almost demands to be told and explored only cinematically. I think that's what matters most to Christopher Nolan, and I'll see if I can ex that a little bit better. I don't know if I can, but we heard in Brett's voicemail he talked about the mechanics of film itself, ordering of shots to create a feeling, and inceptions coming in this Ooh review where you have Cob is a thief who casts characters and creates sets and scenarios. We've talked about that a little bit on the show in the past, and just like Cob in following, who's a thief who finds characters and inserts himself into their sets and their circumstances. There is this meta aspect inherently to Nolan that has nothing to do with him drawing attention to the fact that we're watching a film or that it's being directed by him. That's not what he's interested in. But he is taking the tools, and he's taking the basic cell structure, the DNA of cinema, light and shadow and time twenty four frames per second running through a projector, images and actions, all being manipulated by someone through the camera, moves and through edits. And he's matching that to Mati Cial that similarly relies on the manipulation of time. So I think a more concise way of putting it would be that he uses film to tell stories about how film itself functions in talking about time and chronology, but also in the way so many of his films do deal with dreams and deal with memory as well. You can describe dreams and memories as they replay in your mind the same way you might describe a film, and so all the ways a linear film structure usually stabilizes a viewer the cause and effect chain of events. You understand where you are, you understand how you got here, Memento is about a character completely destabilized HM, where he's floating within this dream of a past, present and potential future. And so Nolan just really brilliantly destabilizes us accordingly in a way maybe no other movie prior has done, and it does put us in an interesting position where not only are we put in that headspace, that difficult, chaotic headspace, and we understand his predicament, but I think what I came to realize a little bit on this second viewing, Josh, is that once you get past that and you do get your bearings a little bit, you realize how much it actually allows you to empathize as well, with Leonard's situation and his circumstances, and the fact that we start every scene just like him asking those questions that we hear him sometimes verbally ask where am I? What's happening? Yeah, it's still a wonder. It's still a wonder almost twenty years later, and on a second viewing, to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that empathetic element is one thing I do want to talk about, because that's another thing in following we thought was maybe lost a little bit. These guys were interesting, but were they real people? You know, did we feel for them in that sort of way? And I think this is a leap forward there as well, where you definitely have a human in tyst In Leonard, his grief is real. He talks about that moment where he wakes up in the morning and he thinks his wife might still be there. You know, he touches the side of the bed expecting her to be there, expecting to be warm, and she's not, And that touches with a common experience. I mean, my grandfather, who's my grandmother, died about two years ago now, and he will still talk about that. You know that as an older man in his nineties, he wakes up and forgets that she's gone in the early moments, And that's a very human experience that is woven into this movie and gives a real feeling to it for Leonard. I think Guy Pierce's performance has a lot to do with that too, bringing us into it, and also the Sammy Jenkis subplot, which we can get into. But I want to go back before we do that to your comment about all the notes you took. What's notable about that? And longtime listeners will know this, You usually don't take notes right. You'll often take a piece of paper from me in a pen, but there won't be much on there at the end of the movie.
Speaker 4: It's just not your style.
Speaker 3: And so I find it incredibly interesting that this is the movie you have more notes than you know what to do with. And it makes total sense to me. Why why does Memento appeal so much to someone like me and so much to someone like you, Adam Well, I'm gonna the answer, I think lies in a quote Leonard Gibbs when he's describing his process. I'm disciplined and organized. I use habit and routine to make my life possible. Now I'm probably ninety five percent that guy. I'm gonna guess you're one hundred and fifteen percent that guy. So there's there's something correct me if I'm wrong and making those assumptions. But there's something about this organizational I mean, this is we do this show built on top five lists and themes and processes and organization and habits and routines. And so when you see a movie when that is at once being taken away from you. This goes to what you were just talking about the filmmaking process. What Nolan is doing here he's undercutting all that stuff in a way that makes this a thriller and makes this destabilizing, while at the same time, as movie lovers who know how films work, we are simultaneously appreciating the superstructure, the stitching that is allowing us to be disoriented in an oriented way, if that makes sense, and that is the genius of Memento that I think, if your particular personalities in ways that I think we both share, is just going to blow your mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 5: And speaking of blowing your mind, I love the fact that you've got not only Carrie Ann Moss in this movie, but Joe Penaliano, who I like both of them as performers. I think they're both very good here, but also just that they're in this movie at all, because this is a film that came out two years after The Matrix. And if you think about those movies as a pair, which I actually do, or at least I do now having just re watched this film, these are heady genre movies, right sci fi and this neo noir, but they actually raise really similar questions about human existence that at the time were groundbreaking for me. There were films that planted something in my brain about the human condition that I have never relinquished. And I watch almost every movie I see still through this lens, even just in my everyday life, I take away aspects of these movies that have filtered into my subconscious. And there's a different Leonard line I'm gonna give you where he says, we all lie to ourselves to be happy. And if you think about it, Leonard essentially takes the blue pill in this movie. Right, That's what's revealed. The harsh truth of reality is given to him. But unlike Neo and the others in the Matrix, he does what Cipher does, what Joe Paneliano does in the Matrix. He effectively takes the blue pill to remain blissfully unaware atow himself to continue living this new version of a happy life. And this time, that tattoo that's right there where he can see it most plainly, most visibly, Remember samby jenkis the one that's right there by his thumb on his wrist. Of course, what he literally means by that is remember Sammy, remember that story. But of course it's more than that, because he remembers Sammy, Sammy is actually in his past. He doesn't need the tattoo to remind him of what happened with Sammy. That tattoo is there because it has broader implications. What he doesn't want to do is end up like Sammy. Remember how Sammy ends up a man with no agency, no purpose whatsoever. And that relates to the line he says to the Jimmy Grant's character who says, what do you want, and he says, I want my life back.
Speaker 4: Literally.
Speaker 5: Of course, on one level he does, he wishes none of this had ever happened. But what I think he's really saying there is I want a life back. I need a life that has purpose. I can't be Sammy. And that brings us full circle to your line. I need a life that relies on discipline and organization and habit and routine. I need drive. I'm going to give myself that drive. I'm not going to be Sammy. Jenkis sitting at home watching TV commercials. There are moral and ethical compromises and questions that come with that that he has chosen I suppose his answer to. But he is definitely decided that there has to be a path and a purpose to his life in order to go on.
Speaker 3: And by choosing to deceive himself, by choosing not to face the harsh truth. The movie makes us face a couple of harsh truths, I think, and one of them is this idea that memories, even for those of us who are healthy in terms of memory, aren't what we like to think of the mass. No, right, you think of memories as those are the facts. More than that, they're my facts. They're my very personal facts I have witnessed, I can attest to, and moment makes us face the harsh truth that you know, they're just interpretations. They're interpretations of our experiences. And you know, like you hear about conflicting police reports of you know, two eyewitnesses to the same scene that speak to this, and and other psychological studies where we do distort well we've experienced in the way that we want to remember it. And that's just something I think we all know. But when you watch something like Memento, where it's put in this context and made this stark, it kind of makes us face it in a different way. And yeah, Carrie and Moss being in the matrix just what like a year or two before is really remarkable. Looking forward, it reminds me. She's obviously been working since, but nothing really quite as resonant as either of these two films. So I'm looking forward to seeing her in the fourth Matrix film, if we eventually get that. I love as Natalie this character, how unapologetic she is. That's a word I used to describe Betty Davis in of Human Bondage, and I think we get a little bit of that here, even before we realize she's using Leonard. There's still this fierceness to her that I appreciated, And there's a you know another speaking of the humanity in this movie, so many layers of emotion and that one tentative kiss that she and Leonard share because there is betrayal going on there, there's a little confusion, but there's also some real longing in it, you can sense, I think, for because these are two people who have lost people, right. And then Mosque gets that great moment where she gets to act while she's acting, you know, get you get a character playing apart. When she comes back in the house after Leonard has hit her and she sits in the car. I mean, that's one of the skis. That sequence is where it makes it so palpable the condition he's in, Yes, because for some reason the edits to him waking up again. Those are movie conventions we're familiar with, right, like, Okay, he forgets, I understand we're restarting. But to see it happen in real time where the camera looks at her sitting in the cop yes, counting down till she knows his memory is going to reset, and then calmly coming to the door as if she just arrived. I mean, that's just a great little bit because the acting is so good there, but also the terror of realizing this is how it really happens to Leonard. Yeah, I love that moment.
Speaker 5: I love that you articulated that moment because I don't know that I had a firm handle on why it was so effective. I just know that you're one hundred percent right that in terms of just pure thrilling moments in the movie, that cut to her sneering at him from her driver's seat, knowing what she's about to do to him, it's electrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, chilling, chilling it is. And then another one like that, which you know I had forgotten until the chase was on, and I think it was pretty common in the trailer too, is the I think it starts with why am I chasing this guy? And then second later, oh, he's chasing me? Or maybe it's vice versa.
Speaker 4: But that's just.
Speaker 3: Another great in the moment way of putting us in Leonard's head.
Speaker 5: Right, Yes, yeah, absolutely a great joke in the film, and it probably made me laugh back in two thousand and one. It definitely made me laugh this time too. And of course, this being this overview, we are coming at these films considering how each film before it, or set of films informs it, and beyond some of the things we've already touched on earlier in the discussion, just the fact that you've got a man and a woman here double crossing Leonard, just like we had in Following right, two people that he thinks might be on his side but ultimately are working against him. The whole object aspect to this film right, in terms of what do these objects that people have or hang on to tell us about them? And there was that whole sequence I had completely forgotten about with the prostitute in this movie and the props, right, he effectively buys props that he knows he can convince himself. I suppose that belonged to his wife and then he disposes of them, but he goes through this whole charade with those objects. So that was another thing that tied back to following. And you may have a few more items on your list. But also, like any Sacred Cow we do or with our eight for eighty four series, if this is the first time you're seeing these movies in a long time, it's always interesting to consider what we maybe didn't notice or what we didn't put emphasis on in that first viewing, and what was different then about this experience. And I had completely forgotten, Josh, And I don't know if my eyes were perceptive enough back in two thousand and one to catch it. It is very subtle, even though it sounds like it shouldn't be. I had forgotten completely about the moment where the black and white and the color timelines actually do intersect with each other near the end of this film, right where we actually see the color change. But beyond that and getting to some of these other points we're talking about, I had forgotten or decided to overlook how much of a sympathetic figure in some ways Natalie really was. You're right, she's completely unapologetic, and I like that about her as a movie character. And there's no doubt out that she completely uses Leonard, but there are some of these other touches that suggest an inner life and maybe, as you said, some longing to her, and we do accept that she didn't plan any of this. When you do finally think about this movie and you process it in terms of an actual chronology, the first thing that happens at the beginning of this film is her boyfriend being killed by Leonard, and the next thing that happens is the guy who killed her boyfriend driving up in his car wearing his suit and pulling up to the bar. Imagine being her in that situation. And there's a lot more we can unpack there. But this is a case where even though as you said, there's a key moment where she lays out what she's going to use him for and she has her own personal reasons to do it, it's also driven by her personal animosity to the guy who she knows did kill her boyfriend, even if maybe someone else was pulling some of this rings, there's a hatred for him as well, and so that was surprising to me to see her not just as what I thought was a traditional kind of fem fatale who's there only to drive his downfall, But actually, in a lot of ways, I think she's more sympathetic than the hero is.
Speaker 7: I've lost somebody too. I'm sorry. His name is Jimmy. What happened? I had to meet somebody? They never came back.
Speaker 5: Who do you go to meet?
Speaker 7: I called Teddy?
Speaker 4: What are the police thinks?
Speaker 7: They don't look too hard for guys like Jimmy? When you find this guy, this John Gie, what are you gonna do? Kill him? Maybe I can help you find him?
Speaker 3: Well, it makes me think you talked about the chronological cut of following that's out there. We could it'd be great to have a Natalie cut of Memento, right. I mean, I know you would, you didn't have the memory issues. But there is definitely a compelling story there that we get a good sense of in the performance and in the sequences that Carrie on Moss is involved in. I was the thing maybe that I noticed, I guess, And I think this just comes with you know another what two decades of film watching or so is the editing is just you know, I've gotten to learn how to look more closely at what the editing is doing, and mentioned at the top Dotty Door and Oscar nominated for the work. Here, there's just little flickers here and there. When Leonard references my wife fairly early on, we get a quick shot of her eye opening and closing beneath that shower curtain of haunting, haunting image, and later on with the Sammy Jenkis storyline, when that's starting to sink into us, the conclusive element is that quick flick of a shot where we see Lenny sitting in Sammy's car. Right, it's like half a second, but it's it's and this is where Nolan is like, or.
Speaker 4: Is it in the wheelchair? I think it's in the wheelchair? Is it the wheelchair? Okay what I thought?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But it's just it's so quick, and it's almost where Nolan is is like, Okay, you've probably caught up to me now, so I'm gonna give you a little reward, you know, and just like confirm what you're probably thinking. And then this is more towards the end, but when Leonard does kill Jimmy, that sequence is match cut with scenes of Leonard's wife played by I think it's Yoria Fox. He's looking out the window of the abandoned building where he's waiting for Jimmy to come, and we get these match cuts of her looking out the window of their house, and this again, it brings back that human element. The humanity of this ties us. It's it's not just you know, a noir killing we're going to see, but we understand the psychological and emotional building blocks that has brought to that moment those it and bringing back that into the final scene is just so crucial. So I want to ask you a question about this was a great experience, a great revisit. Was there any point, however, where clue fatigue began to set in? Where As I mentioned, we are trying to keep up with this movie and that's part of the thrill. But I did have a moment. It might have been the sequence with around the time of the Prostitute where it was just becoming That's the way we can describe it, kind of like I don't need any more clues, let me work with what you've already given me a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can definitely see that.
Speaker 5: I don't know that I felt it as much as you, but I was very aware on this rewatch anyway of how many clues. As confounding as the movie ultimately can be and as provocative as it is, as much as there is unanswered, there are so many clues to unraveling it that Nolan gives you along the way. But you would only really know that on multiple rewatches because on that first watch your head is spinning so much. But when you see, like speaking of the editing, you see a flash near the end to Leonard, I think in bed with his wife, but now he does have that tattoo over his heart that says I've done it. You've got little things like that that clue you in. Even Bert, the guy who is behind the desk at the discount in early in the movie, he says, that must suck. It's all backwards, like maybe you got an idea about what you want to do next, but you don't remember what you just did. I mean, he's giving you the structure of the film in some of the lines that the characters say, and Teddy, the Paneliano character really does lay out some of the larger themes of the movie I was touching on in terms of the subjectivity of your experiences and choosing your own destiny and denying things and rationalizing in order to be happy. That was way more present in the script than I had remembered it from two thousand and one, which might be a little bit different from some of the clues that you're talking about and what you felt fatigued by.
Speaker 3: So I have to before we wrap up, note that, because now I'm looking for it. Of course, I mentioned how in the basement barn following I saw those doors that had the porthole windows, and something about him screamed, Nolan, there's It's almost the exact same door in that abandoned building where Leonard kills Jimmy at the end, I noticed in the background. So I'm gonna be looking for those as the overview continues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as you should.
Speaker 5: I wonder if we will see them make future appearances. I guess the last thing I wanted to touch on in terms of the new experience this time. Even more than recognizing Natalie as a tragic figure, I also do see Leonard as even more complicated and tragic. Obviously, you can't deny the people he's willing to hurt and those moral and ethical compromises that he has been willing to make, not just in the name of revenge, but for him to have this life of purpose. But you really do tap into I think you mentioned this line earlier. I tapped into more this time, Josh, the fact, the real weight of the fact that he starts every day with the last thing he remembers being his wife, and not just starting your day. It's not just when you wake up, it's whenever you come out of this sort of spell you've been in where you are right processing what you're doing. However many minutes that is five, ten, fifteen, you're back to the reality of that brutal act that occurred against your wife. So that's a horrible place to be. And when he has that sequence where he articulates that pain and he says that he doesn't even know how long she's been gone, it's like I've woken up in bed and she's not here. And the way that ends, how can I heal? How am I supposed to heal if I can't feel time? That is a true, almost sci fi like character dilemma. Right to be in a situation where you can't process time, because time truly is not to be a hallmark card. It truly is the only thing that can get you past grief. It's the only way you can get over anything that traumatic or said. You may never truly get over it, but the only way you can go on is to process it through time. And he can't ever do that. And as much as I understood that, we're supposed to see Leonard as a bad person who does some really bad things, and he doesn't even fully want to come to terms with that himself. This is why he sets himself on this path where he can live with the bluepill existence. I suppose I understand what's driving that, and I do empathize with what's driving that well.
Speaker 3: And the tragedy of his choice at the end, the reveal at the end is that it has this decision to continue to trick himself into pursuing revenge has not provided any sort of closure or healing. No, and yet that's something he does not learn and he chooses to re experience it. I don't know what other route he would have, what sort of healing he could pursue if he instead chose to write himself tattoos notes about the one you mentioned You've done it, you know, is a different route. It's a different path he could have taken, but that's not his choice at the end, and that makes that's what makes him ultimately a tragic figure, is he is still choosing this path that is going to repeat the pain.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: It's not going to help.
Speaker 5: So I do have a few final little mysteries that remain for me, and I'm not necessarily expecting you to illuminate me, but I do want to throw him out to the audience. And obviously we can have a larger discussion about this movie and some of these questions, but this one maybe not so much a question as much as a little tidbit. I loved the way in the flashbacks we see missus Jenkis when she makes that decision in his memory and Leonard's version of events to test her husband Sammy play by Stephen Tabolowski. She does it by telling him that it's time for her insulin shot, suggesting that it's been some passage of time between the last shot. And she actually does rewind her watch every time. Yeah, she rewinds the watch almost like Nolan is rewinding the watch on this entire film. She doesn't have to, does she Is there a reason why she has to do that? She's not going to trick him. He doesn't look at the watch. Does he take the time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just a flourish to emphasize what's happening for the viewer, But the coverage is that in case he looks. I'll just say those are two great performances Tablowski you mentioned, and Harriet Sansom Harris as Sammy Jenkis's wife, that again bring an element of humanity into the movie that really does a lot. It's very important. It pays off when we understand that they're stand ins for Leonard and his wife, right, because we've come to care about them, and all of that care gets transferred to Leonard when we get the reveal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and depending on your reading of the film, there's a possibility that they are actually not just stand ins metaphorically, they might actually be right. I mean, there's different ways to come at it. Maybe this is where my head was exploding, but I swear if you go back, Josh and look at the scene where Natalie tells Leonard that she lost somebody too, he looks at a picture of her and Jimmy, and then after they've I think slept together, he comes out to the room on his own and he's looking through some things, and he looks at that picture again, and I swear in the first cut of the picture, we see in this new sequence Jimmy does not have a go tee like he did in the first one. And then when he looks at the picture again, there's a go tee there. Okay, so I'm losing my mind, but I want to know what's up with Jimmy's go tea. I'm getting crazy, aren't I.
Speaker 3: That's a little too deep for me, But go ahead, what's your other one?
Speaker 5: When Leonard goes downstairs, this is early in the film, but in the actual chronology would be late in the film. It's right before he goes to meet Teddy to take him to the warehouse.
Speaker 4: He's kind of a rush. He's definitely frazzled.
Speaker 5: He comes out of his motel room and he comes downstairs, and just as he's about to walk into the lobby to talk to Bert, we see Guy Pierce stop, catch his breath, kind of get his body in a certain physical position, and then he walks through the door slowly. It's almost as if he's putting himself into character there in the moment, as if Leonard is putting himself into character, and I haven't been able to figure out yet why he would need to do that. My last two and these really get it. Bigger questions about this film is to ponder why does Teddy even tell Leonard? Why does he tell him the truth that prompts him to kill him at the end. If he knows what Leonard is capable of, and there's a suggestion that he really does, because they've done this before, why does he even open that possibility right by pushing Leonard to that level?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Teddy character, at some point, I think, does become more about function for this idea to work than you know, practicality if it were actually happening in the real world. I agree, there's probably some hiccups there.
Speaker 5: So then the real mind bender is what happens now? What happens now? Where does Memento go chronologically? After he has killed Teddy slash John G. We could presume, because there are suggestions that he's done this before, that this is what he always does, that a cycle will continue, Like even if you look at the tattoo and Teddy says this, but if you look at the tattoo where he has John G and then there's another tattoo below it that clearly came at a different time and doesn't look as good. That says or James. You know, he's just going to keep adding jays until what he's done.
Speaker 3: What he's done is he's provided a path, yes, for this to continue forever, unless he encounters someone who genuinely will help him. But as long as he you know, he has this path's ut for himself, and he encounters someone who's going to manipulate him, it'll continue forever.
Speaker 5: See now that Josh almost strikes me as a generous reading of the film that I don't know that I subscribe to, which is I don't think it matters who's there to help him or double cross him or not. He is always going to pick the path that leads to a life where he's not Sammy Jenkis. So he is the one that's always going to manipulate a situation until he gets what he wants, which is to continue this. And so if you look at it that way, then the reason I'm asking the question is the license plate that belongs to Teddy and those facts that he gave him to lead him right to John g Now that he's killed this John g. Even if there are others out there that he will be able to conjure up and seek out and get his revenge, it's gonna be a lot harder for him, isn't it. I Mean, he kind of put himself on this path to find Teddy and the movie ends with him killing him. So where does it go?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's why I mean, the discrepancy in his clues allow for him to invent and you wonder at some point in his consciousness, somewhere down below, he just wants it to keep going, right, So there's always it's a it's the conspiracy mindset. You You know, if you have that sort of mindset, you can always invent a new path to keep you going the direction you want to go. Yes, And the reason I say, if he encounters someone who who would not manipulate him but care for his mental well being, that's I only say it's a possibility because we haven't seen that fail yet. We've only seen him encounter people who are going to use him for their own purposes. So I have one logistical question to ask you. It's the only open question, and I'm not trying to trick the film out because I don't like to play those games with movies. This thing works as beautifully as it needs to. But I did wonder how does he remember he even has those polarites, Because if he's supposed to wake up not know anything except for the incident, he will all he'll often go for the polaroids to orient himself. And so I'm just wondering if I missed something where he or maybe it's just a short cut, you know, it's a storytelling shortcut, because otherwise he would watch, he'd be dazed, he'd notice a tattoo, he'd look at other tattoos, he'd go to the mirror, and rather than have us go through that whole process every time, you know, the Nolans, have him grab the polaroids, look at them, and start the path.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, Yeah, I think the only potential answer is that he knows what condition he suffers from, and so knowing that by habit, and this opens up another whole line of questioning with this film, because that dovetails with Sammy and what he could or couldn't learn from from habit and ritual. The way Leonard does, right, that's what distinguishes him. One of the habits he's picked up. Is he knows to look around him and look at his pockets immediately, right, Yeah, to find anything, right, to find anything that might orient him whatsoever. But there's no doubt there are a ton of those little questions that this movie makes you ask and will continue to make us, I think.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: I love the fact that we got a chance to revisit Memento as part of this OUV review. Next up is two thousand and two's Insomnia, a remake of the nineteen ninety seven Norwegian thriller starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams. As I've said before, the only Nolan film I suppose I feel like I don't like based on one viewing, it was a disappointment for me, So I can't wait to watch now in this order.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm fascinating after Memento too, because my memory of it is being fairly conventional in terms of narrative and filmmaking, so it'll be interesting to revisit that after we've seen Memento now.
Speaker 5: Last week we went through our whole Nolan filmography ranking as it currently stands, Memento after this watch still my number one.
Speaker 4: Christopher Nolan.
Speaker 5: Again, we're only two films into the OUV review, so we'll see if that does change as we move ahead here, Any changes for you with your list?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the way I'm gonna do this is because I have thought about it. I'm going to like start from scratch. So basically, right now, it's a boring way because we've only had two films. I have a Mento number one and I have Following two, and so when I get to Insomnia, I'm I'm gonna see where it fits compared to those two.
Speaker 5: If only it was that easy, we'll just keep it two films. And yes, I know where Memento ranks, and we're following ranks.
Speaker 3: I like a plan. I like an organized path. I like a procedure.
Speaker 5: Out of course, mind of course you do, Lenny, I mean, Josh, we'll get to following here in a few weeks. And Josh, that is our show from April twenty twenty. That was our conversation about Memento. A reminder that access to the Film Spotting Archive, including monthly bonus shows, is available to every member of the Film Spotting family, including monthly bonus shows. And we do have a discussion of Paul Thomas Anderson's Boogie Nights dropping soon in that feed. Again, that's exclusive to film Spotting Family members. You can join at Filmspotting Family dot com and you can get twenty percent off through the month of January if you use promo code Supreme. That's twenty percent off using promo code Supreme. Film Spotting is listeners supported. Join the film Spotting Family at Filmspottingfamily dot com and get access to ad free episodes, monthly bonus shows, our weekly newsletter, and, for the first time, all in one place, the entire film Spotting archive going back to two thousand and five. That's a film Spotting Family dot com panically