Speaker 1: Smell us now, lady, Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to me Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on Thursday, November seventh, and we're live from me Eater headquarters in Bosa, Montana. I'm your host, Steve Ranella, joined today by Brody Henderson and the version of Doctor Randall where his hair is not combed. I didn't realize it was that it's his boater prominent, his voting version. On today's show, we're interviewing the Squore, the former Metater podcast Alum. Can you be a former alarm? It's so just it's sort of implied you can't be a future alum. Maybe you can.
Speaker 3: We'll sort this out.
Speaker 2: We're interviewing me Eater Podcast alum, the squirrel Doc John Koprowski, a mammologist and biologist at the University of Wyoming.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then we're gonna go over and hit another installment of tattoos I regret, which I fear is gonna be overly vicious, followed by a rut report from Yanni's tree stand in Wisconsin, where Yanni is currently sitting right now. Then we'll highlight here's the thing we're gonna highlight a political defeat and this has this has dominated the news cycle since to like CNN, New York Times, Wall Street Journal. You can't find anything that's not about this. The biggest political.
Speaker 5: Upset, only thing everybody's talking about.
Speaker 2: In American political history. I am talking, of course, about the defeat of Proposition one twenty seven in Colorado, which would have banned the hunting of mountain lions and bobcats. And they threw in links for good measure, even though they're eesa protected. They put a ton of money into it, They rolled out all manner of faux experts. They tried to run a statewide ballot box initiative to ban mountain lion and bobcat hunting, and they got beat. We spent a ton of time on this issue. I have been euphoric when people saw me the next on the day after the election, running around just inexplicably pumping my fists in the air. I don't think they knew that's what it was about. I have been euphoric as part of that celebration. We're going to talk to two more me Eater podcasts. Alum Gasper Paracone, the co chair of the organization Colorado's wildlife deserves better. And then we're going to talk to a personal buddy mine, a Colorado houndsman and wild cattle catcher, Cody Farrion. Then lastly, we're gonna dig into an indefensible law that ought to get passed. As a quick catchup, it was proposed to me that we talked about Randal getting a white tail deer.
Speaker 5: And I did not propose it.
Speaker 2: The only noteworthy thing about it was that Randall's got many whitetail deer, but he happened to get a white tail deer in a state other than what he had in the.
Speaker 5: Past, first whitetail buck in that state. Actually, because I kill whiteail does.
Speaker 2: It got less and less interesting to me the more I learned about it. But just suffices to say Randal got himself a nice white tail bark like many other Americans.
Speaker 6: Many millions of other Americans, like Joe, you know.
Speaker 2: Just but what's more interesting to me is the Randall's wife tagged out. Tell me about that, Randall, because that interests me.
Speaker 5: Uh, that's actually, I mean, it's sort of a good story and not a good story. At the same time, we went out for the weekend, pulled up, set up the camper, got the dogs running around, poured him a bowl of water, and I set up my tripod and my binos and.
Speaker 2: Spotted a spotted a dough about.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's good.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Keeping someone Someone just wrote in.
Speaker 5: Keep them coming, I'd like to I'd like to know anything that comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Podcast listener. Someone said he looks like Daniel Stern and home alone too after getting electrocuted.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of getting the ancient Aliens guy vibe too, So to back up.
Speaker 2: There you are, You've got the water, the dogs, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: And set up my bipod or my tripod with my byos, just scanning around seeing what's up and down the valley, and about fifteen hundred yards behind camp, I see a dough and uh. I watched her for five minutes or so to see if there was any other deer, and sure enough a buck came sneaking in and we put our boots on through the crocs in the trailer and scampered up a little butte and she shot him, and then we went down, got the dogs, went back up, packed him out.
Speaker 6: Excellent, but it was nice and you still camp there.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 5: We camped there that night and then went up to the bar and we went to the bar, we had service, and we got a text that my buddy had killed a bull. So the next day we packed up the camper and went and helped him pack out his bowl. Awesome, and then camped again. Dogs had a good weekend. I did two.
Speaker 2: It's good. That sounds like a great little weekend.
Speaker 5: We sawsold a lot of country, a lot of critters.
Speaker 2: Did your wife take your name? She did? My wife's been real. She's kicking around again, weirdly, in another effort to lead me along, has been musing lately on getting around and finally changing her name after sixteen years of marriage.
Speaker 5: Sydney said she would not do it again, only because of the bureaucratic headache.
Speaker 2: Is she gonna undo it?
Speaker 5: No? No, no, it's just the actual act of changing it was the hurdle for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the missus, my lovely, beautiful wife, said I'll do it when my passport expires because that seems like a pain. And then I've been waiting sixteen years. I don't know how many passport renewals we've been through, and she has and then the other day. She was like, you know, maybe I will change it. And then I told my daughter, if she she can, but you don't trying to build up.
Speaker 6: Have you gotten more sore about it over the years, I get.
Speaker 2: Sore and sore all the time. And now I look very hypocritical because I told my wife or I told my daughter, don't change your name.
Speaker 5: We actually thought about both changing our names to my mother's maybe name, which is just cool.
Speaker 2: It's cool multu, it's Norwegian. I thought, Man, it was cool.
Speaker 5: But then I didn't want to go through the hassle of all that and explain it to people.
Speaker 2: Uh, Brody, you just did a woodcock hunt in Pennsylvania. That's pretty exciting. Did you bring me one?
Speaker 6: Id we ate them all? They're pretty small.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were back in the the I was back in my old stomping grounds at Penn State for the tailgate tour. Yep, And uh it was great. It was so much fun. Like we hit the migration right like they're just everywhere, and we had a good, very good bird dog, a lot of shooting, a lot of missing and uh, it was cool when we were kids. When I was a kid, the only time I ever shot at a Woodcock was when I was hunting something else, like we didn't target them, so this is like the first time. It was like we're after woodcock and we got into him. It was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you hit the migration, it's awesome.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I saw I saw a clip from that and it was impressive shooting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well what you saw, I saw the highlight. I guess there's a lot of unimpressive shooting too.
Speaker 2: My main My main update, Uh, we went Kyle Column there day, which was fun. We did good and then me and my little boy. My little boy had a buddy at school that wanted They had like asked him about getting jerky, so we made. For the first time in my life, I made the ground meat jerky, which I've always been skeptical because like, why'd you grind it? And then you know what I mean, right, It's like why go through all the hassle? We made ground meat jerky, checked around for recipes from friends, and made jerky. But this I had cut with about twenty percent fat. M That is some when you remove all the moisture and the fat doesn't go anywhere. It is some greasy jerky. Not the best, but I've hit on something. My next batch is gonna be revolutionary hmm, because I am going to do it again. And I'm going to grind in a bunch of dried cherries.
Speaker 5: Oh and I am gonna make Pemmican style.
Speaker 6: Yes, are you going to go? You should do it with burger that doesn't have fat cut into it. Maybe no, no.
Speaker 2: Because then it wouldn't be Pemmican. I am going to reinvent I am. I am in the process of reining old school Pemmican. Just wait and watch. Joining us really quick before our next segment.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to write in questions for their listener feedback. Get halfway through the show and the end of the show. This is Steve's here. Got a question for Steve put in the live chat.
Speaker 2: And I just launched the new big thing. How are we doing on time? Were good?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Great, there's the thing we're launching.
Speaker 5: It's called as of seven minutes ago.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: I thought about it last night in bed. Okay, well, I thought about two days ago. Then I then I quit thinking. I'll explain the whole thing.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 2: Making this jerky got me thinking about a great jerky a jerky contest. It's gonna be called me Eater's Best GD scosh darn of course, Meet Eater's Best GD Jerky Tournament. I thought, everybody will send in jerky and then on live will rate it, and then we'll put together a huge prize package for who wins. But then I got to thinking, am I really gonna eat jerky that shows up in the mail? So then I abandoned the idea. Then it hit me, you come here and present your jerky. I watch you eat it, and then I know it's okay for me to eat it. Then we eat the jerky and rate it in front of you, and we'll do let's say ten contestants over the course of a year, and we'll put together a mega prize package. You're responsible for getting yourself here. You come in, you join the show, you present your jerky, your jerky gets raided, we crown a champion at the end of twenty twenty five Me Eater's Best GD Jerky turn at twenty twenty five, that person gets a huge prize package.
Speaker 6: There's some details that need to be sorted out.
Speaker 2: I got them all in my head.
Speaker 6: No you don't, and what if what if you run into two people are here at two different times.
Speaker 2: But they say they get scheduled.
Speaker 6: They're both. Yeah, I'm saying, like you rate one, it's the best jerky.
Speaker 5: You've ever had.
Speaker 6: You can't okay, it's you score it a nine point five. Okay, Later in the tournament someone also scores a nine point five.
Speaker 5: But you can't go back and revisit the first one to get a good comparative.
Speaker 2: I'll have him leave a piece because I already know he does have all the details. It says, I already know it's not been poisoned.
Speaker 5: I mean, couldn't we just have to send in your email?
Speaker 8: Crent?
Speaker 2: Where do they send in to get this started?
Speaker 1: I would say, Oh man, it's either meat eater at the meeteater dot com or Radio at the meat eater dot com.
Speaker 2: Radio.
Speaker 5: Yeah, radio, let's do radio.
Speaker 8: Send in.
Speaker 2: Send in your proposal your pitch to radio at the meeater dot com. But title it subject line me Eater's Best gd Jerky Tournament twenty five with a little apostrophe.
Speaker 6: You should reiterate, don't send jerky here.
Speaker 2: This is not where you send jerky. This is where you say I have a great jerky recipe. I would like to come in and present we scept ten.
Speaker 3: In the check. He wants people to send jerky in the mail.
Speaker 2: I don't because I do, but I don't because I don't want to get poisoned.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you just have a tester, like a like a monarch in the olden days.
Speaker 2: I guess I could have my kids eat it and then bring it down the word.
Speaker 5: Yes, we just need to find.
Speaker 6: Also, we just like somebody could just send you some old trapper or something. You be like, God, that's some good jerk.
Speaker 2: That's why they're gonna come and present.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hm, okay, Meat Eater's Best gd Jerky Tournament twenty five. We're gonna pick our ten favorite people. You gotta get yourself here. You come in, you present your jerky. We're gonna put together mega package. It's gonna include stuff hanging on the walls in.
Speaker 5: Here, first out, and we'll get.
Speaker 2: Meat propers seeing equipment. I don't know. We got a you can have a Canada. We got a big spin drift. Not an official sponsor, but with some out there, well, it'll be a great prize package. Joining us on the line is John Kapowski, the mammologist, biologist and dean of the Hobbe School of Environment and Natural Resources at the University of Wyoming. Former me Eater podcast guest he was on going way back in the Vault episode two five nine, which was titled The Squirrel Doctor is in, Uh what Weirdly what prompted this is a thing we're not going to talk about exactly, but we're still I've been really into this world with this word lately, which is an apothesis, Okay. An apothesis is when you're fighting with someone and you bring something up by saying you're not going to bring it up, So you're gonna fight with your wife, and you go and I'm not even gonna talk about what happened on Friday. That'd be more like something my wife will say to me. I'm gonna fight with my wife. My wife says, and I'm not even gonna talk about what happened on Friday. That's an apothesis. She's talking about it by saying she's not gonna talk about it. We're not gonna talk about Peanut, the squirrel whose euthanization by New York's Department of Environmental Conservation has made international news. This one up getting embroiled in the presidential election. The left and the right are both up in arms about it over peanut. But again, we are not gonna talk about Peanut the squirrel. Rather, rather we're gonna talk about handful squirrel things. We're gonna lead off John with how in the hell, how in the world have fifty new squirrel species been discovered in the past decade, And is this the kind of thing where they were discovered or did we already know about them and then realize they were a teats a bit different than other squirrels we knew about.
Speaker 7: Well, thanks so much, Steve, great to be here. We will not mention peanut rest in peace. And I'm a bit mythed right now. I just want to say I thought I was coming on for the regretful tattoos.
Speaker 6: We can jump to that and willing.
Speaker 7: To give it. Let's do it. When we think about squirrels and diversity, last time we talked for about two hundred and eighty species that are recognized. We're about three hundred and twenty five right now. And it's a little of both. Some of these are you know, as we get genetic techniques and people are looking a little more closely, or they're looking at the calls at different species, realize that that something we previously lumped in as a single species might be split a bit. And that's that accounts for about half of those new squirrels. And then there really are some new squirrels that are are completely new to science that are are being described some really cool giant flying squirrels about the size of a garbage can lids for instance.
Speaker 2: No, wait, really, see that's what I was talking about. See I was, I was, I was like ship talking you earlier.
Speaker 7: You always do.
Speaker 2: I was like, love the guy, Love the guy, but he's gonna give us a bunch of stuff about them realizing there's all these different pine squirrels that they didn't realize that they thought were the same thing. But now we're onto something new, okay, like legit stuff that we didn't know about. That that's that's exciting to hear.
Speaker 7: Yep, exactly. And and I still geek out over the you know, the subdividing of things that we are he knew. But quite seriously, these are species that in one case, one was found in a market in Southeast Asia, and that's what prompted people to say, what is this. They went up in the mountains, found another kind of the brand new species.
Speaker 2: The large Himalayan flying squirrel is it is it of? Is it of like a very small population and so it's not widely known or is it a like a big widespread, thriving population of these squirrels.
Speaker 7: It's it's probably fairly widespread because it's relatively new. Folks are just starting to get the sense of how widespread they are. But when you think of the Himalayas, you know, like many mountaintops here in the Rockies, you get these sky islands and often kind of left behind on those are some species that were left behind in the recession of the glaciers in the last Ice Age. The Himalayas are, you know, obviously a very prominent range of mountains and not much work has gone on there, and they've got species that actually live in cracks in crevices there and they glide between cliffs and then feed on the few trees that are there. So these are species that are about tree line in many cases, and so when we're when we're looking at them, we know that they've most of There are three species that have been very recently described, and all of them there have been multiple individuals reported. I just this morning got a camera trap photo from Nepal where they said, hey, we've got another one and it's a little bit of a range extension probably and that kind of thing. So we're just learning. And that's what's so fun about this. You know, when any of us who are interested in biodiversity, interested in wildlife, something like squirrels, you think you know everything about. We find out there's all kinds of neat stuff going on that we had no idea.
Speaker 2: Karin have mentioned that she had spoken with you about a flying squirrel that can fluoresce. Yes, what's up with this?
Speaker 7: So these are the common flying squirrels that you'll see throughout North America. Well, and they actually fluoresce under black light, under UV light, and they have like blue ears pink stripes on them. A professor in Wisconsin was out with a black light on a UV light kind of spotlighting one evening and something flew across his field of vision in the light and it was pink and blue. And it turns out that a number of species and we have absolutely no idea why fluoresse, and it's not just kind of a single color that you think, Ah, that's something that's probably not all that meaningful. They actually fluoresce with multiple colors in different parts of the body with a pattern, so tells you something funky is going on. And we've actually learned recently the last decade or two, that a lot of birds do the same thing. The colors that we see very different than the colors that birds see when they're because they're able to detect things in that UV those UV wavelengths. So all kinds of crazy stuff going on is why I stay with squirrels.
Speaker 2: You know. Years ago I had a conversation with a turkey biologist named Robert Abernathy, and we were talking about the fluorescent qualities or sorry not not for the iridescent qualities of turkey feathers, and he was speculating, we don't really know that perhaps a turkey to another like a turkey experience, seriences the appearance of another turkey in a way that humans do not, Meaning it might be just this bright thing that just pops out right, and when you look at it, you see a drab bird when they look at their like todah, you know, a turkey.
Speaker 7: Right, yeah, exactly. And when you think of things that are predators of turkeys, they're things that don't see kind of in that that visual spectrum, and so they're able to convey messages to other birds, possible mates. Maybe it's something related to territoriality, but you know what kind of condition they're in, and other species may not be able to pick those things up quite as well.
Speaker 9: So you know.
Speaker 7: These things are when you see patterns like that, they're very likely adaptations, right that just you know, help them in the you know, survival of the fittest battle.
Speaker 2: Now, John, we do a thing on the show in our network called a rut report where we get into white tailed, the white tail deer rut calendar, the breeding cycle calendar. I understand that the squirrel rut is coming up next month. My friend Kevin Murphy, who I like to call him the world's greatest small game hunter, has described to me finding what he calls a rut tree where he catches the squirrel rut activity going on, and he can he'll talk about seeing seven or eight males chasing after a single female. I have here in front of me that you've bet you've seen rout trees containing thirty to forty males in pursuit of a female. Yeah, that's like a barn anchorage.
Speaker 5: The long long odds there.
Speaker 7: Well, exactly, And it's all because most squirrels are the females are only in heat for about half a day, and so that is your chance. And because squirrels have an incredible sense of smell. We know, you know a lot of tree squirrels. That's how they're in part relocating nuts that they buried. That's a lot of their social behaviors is tied to picking up scent fruiting trees, like a walnut tree that's in fruit. They pick that up by scent. They pick up females who about five days before they're five days before they go in into estris, and the day of there are often dozens of males waiting outside the female's nest cavity in a tree or when those leaf nests, those drays, and so I've seen up to forty five males chasing a single female. Long day for everyone involved. There, I'm guessing, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exciting day. Can you do me a favorite I don't want to bring you know, I hope no one else is listening to this idea because I want to keep it to my own. Can you get me some squirrel and heat urine. Has anyone thought to dip a cotton ball in that and then just peg it up on a tree and then just sit and hunt.
Speaker 7: So it's actually not it doesn't appear to be in urine. You have to you have to swipe the private parts of the female and that's that's where it's exuded from.
Speaker 2: So everything gets the name complication. And you got a half day to do it.
Speaker 9: That's right, So you gotta be quick and convincing once again.
Speaker 2: Uh. John Kapowski joining us from the Hobbes School of Environment and Natural Resources at the University of Wyoming, and want to applaud John for doing the work that so many scientists just get. They just don't want to do it because it doesn't work out. Sometimes it does the work of interpreting science for idiots. Thank you, John.
Speaker 5: Probably not how he'd phrasy.
Speaker 2: But it's how he thinks about it, and a lot of and a lot of researchers just get and I understand when they get there, they get to where they just can't bring themselves to do it anymore. But John is a great sport about coming in and talking about squirrel biology squirrel ecology in a way that folks at home can understand it. So when you look out a window and you can see a squirrel, you can you can look to your husband or wife and be like, did you know right, and tell them good stuff about squirrels. Thank you very much, John, I really appreciate you. Coming on, man, we're gonna jump into tattoos. I regret, So, John, drop your pants. I'm joking. He's not he's not joining us. He's not. He's not the tattoo holder. But he can stay on the line if he wants to see about the tattoos. I regret. These are good ones.
Speaker 3: So this came in wet to do the sound. There's no arrested development fans here at the hop.
Speaker 10: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah that that that's not your best work.
Speaker 3: I'll replace it next time you need a segment.
Speaker 2: Uh. This one comes in from northwest Arkansas, which doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: I thought that was very predictible, not even a little bit.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Okay, he goes the tattoo holder. That's not even the good one.
Speaker 3: Phil, Oh, which one are we looking at? I'm looking at the first one. These are on the same guy, right, Oh, yeah, we can show the the other one next I just want to talk about this.
Speaker 2: We'll do it one time.
Speaker 6: Read the email and describe.
Speaker 2: I'm a hunter from northwest Arkansas. I like he's very careful word choice he uses. I wouldn't say I regret my tattoos. I got the duck Life one at eighteen and I'm twenty nine now. I got the Goose one a couple of months ago. I would picture that it would be the opposite. Oh no, to me, it looks like you'd have got that goose when he was three and.
Speaker 6: Then got the We can't talk about the goose until people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, I got the Goose one a couple months ago. Mainly my arm is a joke to my duck hunting buddies. Now, oh well, hope y'all like her.
Speaker 6: That's the best part.
Speaker 7: I like.
Speaker 6: I like that the most because he just seems resigned to his fate.
Speaker 2: You know, he's just like.
Speaker 5: I think the duck Life one is trying too hard.
Speaker 3: This one is genuinely bad. Here's the Goose one. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. This is shirt a T shirt with people for people that can't that aren't seen. We're talking about Duck Life has got three puddle ducks, three mallards, whatever, three ducks. I don't know till they are cupped up, cupped up, feed out coming in the land I need. It's like a little pattern of three ducks. On one side it says duck. On the other side it says life coming. You gotta make duck life what I okay? Then the other one, the other one is a silhouette of a Canada goose who's got like seven feathers.
Speaker 6: Looks like it was drawn by a small child.
Speaker 2: He's got eight feathers, and it says, you're honking for a bonkin'.
Speaker 5: I love that one.
Speaker 2: So what I like about Duck Life's wear is duck Life is versatile because if he gets where he stops hunting ducks and just gets generally burned out on life, he just needs to have the d turned to an.
Speaker 5: F yep, yep, I had the same thought.
Speaker 2: And and he's got a whole new tattoo, well, a whole new meaning. And it's like getting two tattoos for the price of one.
Speaker 6: Or if he gets really into whitetail hunting, he could go buck life and really.
Speaker 2: Just every week in there, every week draw lining with a sharpie and it's a buck life.
Speaker 3: So say that the font choices is uh not what you want. I don't like this font at all.
Speaker 2: Or he could become a spokesman for buck knives and have it be.
Speaker 5: Buck knife yep.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So that tattoo has versatility.
Speaker 11: It's also huge.
Speaker 2: You're honking for a bonkin. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I need to know more.
Speaker 3: I like it. If it's like high step and it's putting its foot forward, No.
Speaker 2: I think that he I think that the goose isn't honking. I think he's saying to the geese geese in general, when they come and they hank and he's hunting and they're honking, he's saying. He's thinking himself, uh, you're honking for a bonka.
Speaker 5: So he's addressing the goose there. I took that as the goose to be addressing the the a viewer of the tattoo.
Speaker 2: I thought it because the goose is saying to his some guy in the bar. Some guy in the bar is talking a bunch of whatever. Yeah, they're arguing about a turtle soup recipe, which is I bring it up only because Johnny Paycheck shot a man, literally shot a man in the head in an argument about a turtle root.
Speaker 6: Led the scene afterwards, didn't.
Speaker 2: He fled the scene kind of missed creased his head. Anyways, They're in a fight about a turtle soup recipe. For instance, he holds up his arm to the guy he's fighting with. The guy sees the arm and he's like, oh, that's me. I'm honking for a bonking fear though, and then the guy also his last thought before catching the fists, his last thought is, but why is there a goose on there?
Speaker 5: This is this is one of those facts I forget about myself for three or four years at a time. But when I was three, Uh, a goose broke my toe.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 6: They can be mean, I know.
Speaker 5: So that's like he might think, Oh, yeah, goose can be mean. He's telling you when the fist comes.
Speaker 6: To mean that he knocked one down in some grain field and needed to go out there and bonk it. Oh, who knows.
Speaker 2: Only the tattoo artists art they No one knows.
Speaker 3: We have multiple people in the chat saying that if we put the goose one on merch, they would buy multiple copies. Honk people love it. People say it's elite. They want, they want it on shirts.
Speaker 2: It's elite, it's elitist.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, it's just it's high level.
Speaker 3: This is this is just a gen Z lingo.
Speaker 5: Oh gotch Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: I recently got a good lecture on gen Z. But they didn't talking about that one. That that lingo. Here's the next one. Now this next one, Randon, do you might grabbing the painting?
Speaker 5: I'd love to.
Speaker 2: Actually, one of my favorite pieces of artwork of all time is from Clay Nuclem. He drew when he was a teenager, and it's a future space man.
Speaker 6: Did you see that, Phil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pointed at that this camera. Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: It's a future space man. You know what's fun? Clay was taught we were moose hunting, and Clay's telling me about what he used to like to draw. He liked to draw like future spacemen, but he also liked to draw wild hogs. So here a while, a big, huge boar is charging a future space man who's fixing the gun it down.
Speaker 6: If that's a spaceman, why has he got like a Superheen Arthur armor on?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but anyway, there's a lot of questions Clay then called his mom and said with me. I was with him. He called his mom, Hey, you know that picture I drew of the She's like, oh yeah, and had it, so now we have it framed in the office. We got a tattoo of someone basically having a sort of truncated, more contained such scene. His note is when I was eighteen, I wanted to get my first tattoo, and being an avid bird hunter at the time and shooting a Browning shotgun, there was only one logical idea, the Browning buck mark. I made it appointment. I got digressed for a second. I used to work with a guy when I worked for my buddy Ronnie. I worked with a guy that was preparing to get the Bacardi bat tattoo.
Speaker 6: I've seen that one before.
Speaker 2: His brother once set a sentence to me that I'll never forget. His brother said to me, you know, when you're drinking Bacardi so fast, you get the red splatches on your neck tobacco. When I was eighteen, I wanted to get my first tattoo, and being an avid bird hunter at the time and shooting a Brownie shotgun, there was only one logical idea, the Browning buck mark. I made an appointment with my brother's longtime tattoo artist and got the tattoo on the upper portion of my left arm. Since then, the browning buck mark has become synonymous with red neckery and overall douche baggery. I've regretted that tattoo for almost twenty years. See, I didn't know that the browning mark was a widespread tattoo.
Speaker 6: Amongst a certain segment of the population.
Speaker 2: I've regretted that too. I've regretted that tattoo for almost twenty years. I finally decided to get a cover up so I could once again be proud to show my upper arm. I have one more session on the cover up. The Nordic the Nordic god Friar is that how he says?
Speaker 6: It's Frere?
Speaker 2: Oh, this is interesting. The Nordic god Freer, from which my last name is derived. Pictures included Love the podcast and the other podcast on the network Keep It Up and It is a Nordic god similar in style to Clay's future space Man. The more decidedly period. It's not a confusing period. He's carrying a broad sword that comes up to his navel.
Speaker 6: He's got a pig, and he.
Speaker 2: Has sort of I gather with him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it doesn't seem to be an adversarial relations.
Speaker 5: Well, that's not any old pig. That's Gullen Bursty, the golden mained pig, created by the sons of Vivaldi, the famous dwarf craftsman. I didn't know that Freer rides Gullan Birsty into battle.
Speaker 2: Oh interestingly in battle?
Speaker 6: Yeah, interestingly enough.
Speaker 5: The sons of Vivaldi also made for for uh skied Blaneer, the famous ship that always has a favorable breeze and can be folded together and carried in a pouch when not in use.
Speaker 2: How do you know all that looked it up. Here's the problem. I don't want to hack on him because here's the deal. I think where he's when he talks about the tattoo he regrets he's talking about the one that was hiding under there. Sure, yeah, So just I don't want to hack on this one because I because you know, I could spoil the relationship.
Speaker 5: This is this is the after, this is the glow up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm gonna say like, I'm gonna say this, I'm gonna say, good lord, I like that tattoo.
Speaker 6: I don't think there's anything to regret about that one. He put a lot of thought into that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I like that hog in the background, but I mean, come on, tusks. Those are big tusks.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: My old man killed a hog in Arkansas, and when he got the hog, the hog stuffed. I'm gonna get this hog and bring it home me someday. When he got the hog stuffed, he did that thing that you used to do where you barely, you know what, You pull the tusks out, but then you glue them back in. When you're all done, you barely stick it out there, and do it so all the root right, like most like three two thirds of the tusk is doesn't stick about the gum line. But you fell it full of hot glue and just barely stick the tusk in there. And it looks like some apparition from hell.
Speaker 6: You get a couple out of them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so this thing's got these tusts, You're like, it looks like a warhog.
Speaker 5: It's like when my skull caps fall off the shelf and I have to epoxy him back together, and I wang the antlers out another two or three and hold.
Speaker 2: Them out and give another inch of hide and hold them out. Yeah for sure, all right, fantastic tattoo. If you could ever do me the favor of taking a picture of that tattoo. What's this gentleman's name, Russ? Russ, If you could do me a picture and send it to us, take a picture of your tattoo and then go in and highlight where the old tattoo is hiding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that would be very interesting.
Speaker 3: But that makes it a pretty good cover up because we can't tell.
Speaker 2: Oh, you, I don't know what's a cover up. And like when that guy gets, you know, f life, I don't know that I'll think it's a cover up either. I wonder why I had ducks in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the ducks are just they're taking off for greener past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ducks are leaving life. Yes, going to the afterlife. We're gonna cut down to a rut report from Yanni Uh the lavr Lover the Lava and Eagle, Yanni Chimani just Yanni Jannis Janice Uh in Louisiana. They can't the Cajuns cannot say, ye, honest, they can't. They the Cajuns had to eventually arrive at that he is just ja. It doesn't work. There's something about being a Cajun that makes it that not only can you not remember it, you can't say it.
Speaker 5: They'd be like, you know, we all have our own challenges.
Speaker 3: This is actually a double reperport. We've got Mark Kenyon first and then yes, oh I'm sorry, yeah, double the content.
Speaker 2: Okay, but before that.
Speaker 6: Well we should tell run.
Speaker 2: Can't believe it's already here.
Speaker 11: Kenn's gonna tell you what should dude protects you bye, because you're what the kids goodbye. Don't decide to desert you.
Speaker 5: What a gift.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Here's the reperport.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, Mark Kenyan here with Wired to Hunt, and I'm coming at you with the rut report for November seventh. And I'm here hunting in Kentucky, just kicked off a hunt and the whitetail rut should be on now.
Speaker 12: I haven't seen sign of it yet myself, but all.
Speaker 10: Reports I'm hearing from across the country are that dose are coming into heat, bucks are chasing, bucks are cruising.
Speaker 2: It's on.
Speaker 10: November seventh, is the day that a lot of folks claim to be maybe the very best day of the entire white tail rut, and this next week or so should be absolutely lights out for almost the entire country. There are some places down in the South that have slightly different running dates, but for most.
Speaker 12: Folks listening, this is it.
Speaker 10: This is the Super Bowl user vacation time, use up the brownie points in the bank. Whatever you need to do to be in the tree, do it now. An important thing to note for large parts of the country. Right now we are seeing warmer than average temperatures and there's definitely some rain going on too, so less than ideal conditions. But you need to know that despite these conditions that maybe aren't great, the rut is still happening and good action is out there to be had.
Speaker 12: The midday might be a.
Speaker 10: Little bit slower, but be in a tree, be in the key, rut spots downwindo doll, betting areas, pinch points, funnels. Tree time is key, so do not let the bad weather keep you home.
Speaker 2: This is it. Anything is possible.
Speaker 10: Time in the tree, time in the tree, time in the tree. Good luck out there.
Speaker 2: Well, I started over, I got so distracted by Yonn he cleared his nose, that I missed the part of the rut report.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's here it again.
Speaker 2: Hold on, do people know that it's live? Mostly? Oh yeah, because this isn't live. We just started it over again.
Speaker 3: Well, the pre recorded videos are certainly not live, but there should be a disclaimer. I don't think that's a ship you're about to here is not live. Saturday Night Live has lots of pre recorded videos. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Here's y live, Time in the tree, Time in the tree. Good luck out there.
Speaker 5: Glad we got that mantra again.
Speaker 1: Here's the ns RUT report for November sixth.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: First off, what you need to know is that I picked the wrong spot today. I sat in that tree right behind me for six hours this morning and did not see a single beer. Beautiful morning here in central Wisconsin. It started off at about forty degrees, it's now fifty. The wind's blowing five to ten out of the north northwest. I mean, really just a prime, prime morning for the RUT. So although I didn't see any running myself, I'm on sure that there's some running going on somewhere not too far from me. I hunted a ridgetop today to be in the woods and have a good spot for this north wind. Just picked the wrong one. We just didn't have the right buck come down that ridge behind me right there, or that one right there. So anyways, I'm changing spots right now. I'm gonna go hunt on a very small ridge. It's very close to the neighbors fields where we've had fifteen to twenty doze every single evening, and I think there's been some bucks out there too, but we've got pick pictures of the big box, a couple of them daylighting. The cameras have been slow the last two days because it's been raining. It's been wet, wet, wet, wet, wet. Now it's dried out. The tempest drops ten to fifteen degrees, so the next to the next two three days should be phenomenal. And so my plan is for the evening and probably most evenings, is to get down closer to the food, which is gonna be closer to the doze, which is gonna bring me a big buck encounter. So hopefully that will happen. Maybe next week I can give you a little bit more of an exciting report to all of you out there sitting or about to be sitting. Good luck, stick to it. It's gonna happen any moment.
Speaker 2: Be oh, oh sweet, thank you, Yanni. I made the really stupid mistake one day of looking at Yanni had some posts on on Instagram, and I was looking at the comments, and this woman's like freaking out on him because he's gonna him talk and he's got family property Wisconsin. Him talking about that's gonna make everybody in Wisconsin, everybody start hunting Wisconsin.
Speaker 12: What's this?
Speaker 2: What's this strange fiftieth state I'm hearing about?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 2: W Yeah? Uh, we're gonna jump over now to our interview around again. Oh what Krin put a whole tattoo over the whole thing. I couldn't see what was going on the document. I touched the document. Let's take a break. I'm reading. Let's take a break for some listener feedback.
Speaker 3: Phil, Let's do it. Okay, this one seems time sensitive. It came in a while ago. But average human guys asking, Hey, everyone's sitting in my ground blind for a buck, thinking of going to pull a card from a camera down and drainage after the pod? Should I hold off in fear of scent or go check once? What would you do?
Speaker 2: There's too many? I can't there's too many variables. I can't say, does he gotta walk right past the spot anyway that's true? Is it?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: Uh? I can't. I don't know do it.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't do it if that's where we're expecting to see a buck. Stay out of there.
Speaker 3: There you are, Eric's asking Steve to Claire fight your turkey tattoo. You've talked about it a couple of times in the past, but I wonder if you've come to any sort of realization I want.
Speaker 2: To do it. It's like, what I like is that I like that me and my wife are the last couple in America to have no tattoo.
Speaker 6: Me and my wife don't have me either, second to last.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to get and I stole this idea. I want to get the outline of North America tattooed and then either either get the spot's little turkey feet tattooed on there where I killed my You know, I'm a two time super slam holder, m where I killed my super slams, or just put turkey feet everywhere I've ever gotten any turkey at all.
Speaker 6: I like that better.
Speaker 2: My wife thinks it's a terrible idea. I know in the back of my head. It's a terrible idea, and I might do what Pat Durkin did. Pat Durkin has a lot of tattoos. Now, he waited till he was old. He knew he wouldn't live long enough to regret him, and then he got that's it. That was his plan.
Speaker 6: And when you get get tattoos when you're young, and then you get old, those tattoos start to look a little different as an age.
Speaker 2: But if I got it fresh now, I still might, like, let's say I live to be eighty, I still might have to live twenty years wishing I hadn't done that.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think if you're in dow it, go big, do your whole back.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, if you go with the every turkey have killed, I feel like you'd have to have a pretty sizable map so that you could Yep, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be hot. It's gonna be what would look like hot spots.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe you put like a bigger track where you've killed more than more than six.
Speaker 3: H John's asking about tips on how to get kids more involved in butchering and processing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got huge tips on this. Randall has none. Brody's got hot tips my I got my kids started in that kind of stuff so young that they never had a realization that it was anything unusual. Like they just have always been involved, always done it. There was never a moment where they're like, yeah, what is that. They can't remember, They don't remember ever not helping gut stuff if you would grab and I could hand them anything.
Speaker 6: If you wait too long, they'll start thinking it's gross. But when they're little, they're super interesting in all.
Speaker 2: That idea stuff. I could take anything in the any bloody thing on the planet, like hold that my kids are gonna grab it, yep. And on food, I could serve them cat house cat. They have just always we've always made them just eat stuff and now we don't have to hear about it.
Speaker 6: Start young, yeah, and get them involved with like like that they turning it into food kind of thing like making burger, making sausage that like my kids love doing that. So like take it, like don't just stop at the gutting, like go the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yep. I remember my kids Like little jobs I would get my kids is they I would if I'm grinding meat, I I you know, very careful, like not joking, very careful about them their hands around the grinder, so bear with me. Give them the job of taking the cube ut meat out of the toe or out of the tub, putting it in the pan. Give them the job of turning the hand crank on the sausage stuff, or give them the job of putting stuff in the bag. The other day I had my kid. We were bagging up some stuff. We were bagging all the jerky we made, were bagging up the jerky you made. My kid was in charge of hitting the button on the vac siler. Like little jobs. Make it fun, don't make it go on for like nine hours. Get them involved. They know the stuff and just the key is starting them young, and you'll never have to go through any of that weird stuff when they when they freak out.
Speaker 3: Awesome. Let's do one more with the show's running a long, but we're all having a good time, so we'll tackle some more of these at the end of the show, depending on what time it is. We've got some guests on the line waiting to come on.
Speaker 2: Doing one right now or not running.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're do one more right now, Steve, did you hear about Lanna del Rey marrying an alligator?
Speaker 2: Guide my neighbor told me about that, but no, I haven't looked it up yet.
Speaker 3: Well, both when when Spencer and I heard the news, both of us thought about you and how you're feeling about this, because it seems like it's like a you type character, and she was into him enough to marry him. So I'm just wondering how you're feeling about.
Speaker 2: So You're you're suggesting that I would You're suggesting that I would be looking like that, I would have a feeling of jealousy.
Speaker 3: Your wife suggested that as well.
Speaker 2: She did. Yep, no, no, no one ought to say this, and I've told my neighbor this. Nobody, nobody understands her music properly except me. That's all I'm gonna say on the whole subject.
Speaker 3: All Right, we can move on the show.
Speaker 2: I will someday write a book. After I write my book about how it's okay to hate Shakespeare, I will write a book about.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'll write a book about what is going on in those lyrics?
Speaker 8: Hard to read it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited to write it. To continue our giant gloat about proposition one twenty seven, We're going to talk really quickly to Gasper para Cone, and we're gonna go talk to a houndsman who one guy that that really helped drive and and and win this fight, and one guy that would have been really screwed had this fight not gone the way it did. So we're taking a two pronged approach to it. Welcome gasper, Welcome, gentlemen. Tell me what do you think was the key man?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: What what? What wound up? What wound up happening?
Speaker 13: Well, I got to start by saying, this is the only show in America that I think can segue from the swabbing of squirrel privates to honkin for a bonkin, to house cat seeing to maybe the most consequential political outcome on the state based ballot mat.
Speaker 2: It's elastic.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, look, obviously a monumental achievement for both the defense of and the promotion of science based wildlife management in this country, and I think a very clear validation of the role that hunter harvest plays in this Plus you know, look, let's take a quick moment to just revel in the fact that we sent for the first time in Colorado the anti hunting community pack and on a political measure.
Speaker 13: So, uh, you know, just a real surprising and tremendous outcome. And you know, to your question, Steve, you know what was the difference here? Uh, let's dive into the numbers and then I'll leave you with my takeaways. But look, we're you know, obviously a huge victory. We had forty four point five per five to three percent voting yes, with fifty five point four to seven percent of Colorado voters coming out against Proposition one twenty seven. We won fifty nine of sixty four counties statewide. Obviously, the urban demographic continued to vote in favor of it, as we've seen in both one to fourteen, which was the wolf proposition in previous ones. But we've turned the tide here in a very real and meaningful way.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Oh No, what I was gonna say is within this, I think that's what I'd like you to touch on too. And you talk about what worked is I just want to point out to the listeners, is there's this obvious thing where this was not that fifty five percent of the vote in Colorado was not coming from houndsman. I mean, you don't have you know, you got probably sub one thousand houndsmen. But it was voters not just not voting about a thing that they felt was going to immediately affect them individuals, but coming out to vote against a dangerous trend in wildlife management. And it wasn't motivated by it wasn't motivated by deeply personal incentives.
Speaker 13: I think that's exactly right, and that underscores I think what was so unique about the way in which we approached this campaign. So, you know, I think there's three primary takeaways here. The first is when we as a community can find cause to coalesce around a particular issue and a singular strategy, and we do it in a manner that supports a professional campaign, we as sportsmen and women can win these things. We had an awful lot of naysayers early on who bore witness to the outcomes at Prop One fourteen and frankly every other ballot measure that's been put forward that's wildlife related in Colorado, and there wasn't a lot of faith that we could pull this off. But we took a very smart and strategic approach in how we developed the campaign, which brings me to the second takeaway that I think is probably of the greatest significance, and the lesson to carry forward as we begin to continue this fight in other states. And that is and tangential to the point that I just made, But how we engage matters. It's relatively easy to take stock of this outcome and believe that the effort to rally our troops and just fight the anti hunting efforts is the only factor that led to this win. On the other hand, while you know that is certainly important, I think what is a far greater significance, and the reason that we actually won is we intentionally and strategically engage the non hunting voting population with messages that resonated to them. We knew early on in order to win that we're going to have to dedicate the majority of our campaign efforts to talking to that persuasion universe. And we're talking to soccer moms in Denver and Boulder who have never purchased a hunting and a fishing license. You know, when you make up eight percent of the population, you can't rest on your laurels. You need to be very concerned in your effort to talk to folks and meet them where they're at with a message that means something to them. In our landscape, and we were able to do that effectively, And I think that is the real core understanding and takeaway coming out of this.
Speaker 12: But the third is these are not partisan issues.
Speaker 13: All too often we get wrapped up in thinking this is a Democrat versus Republican fight. But look, I mean we outperformed one twenty seven even by a full point over Colorado that went fifty four percent for Harris.
Speaker 12: It's a clear demonstration that.
Speaker 13: Voters of all variety, Democrat, Republican, independent, unaffiliated, all resonated with our message and turned out, even to the point where we were exceeding votes cast for President Harris in Colorado.
Speaker 12: It's just it's a remarkable outcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's incredible. Now I got to ask you a question, and why I be totally honest with you, and I'll be honest with you in my asking of it. I got I got a little pessimistic leading up to the election. Were you surprised or did you know how this was going to land?
Speaker 12: Look, this was a long fight.
Speaker 13: For those that work in this world, you always go through the roller coasters of up and downs, and numbers changed throughout the course of the campaign based on what you know.
Speaker 12: Voter sentiments are.
Speaker 13: Uh, it became relatively evident to us about two weeks out that we were very likely to win this.
Speaker 2: We had that was right when I started to get pessimist.
Speaker 5: Loop him in next time.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, look, I think it's inherent in human voter behavior to worry, right, Yeah, we had. We had pretty good indication based on the data that we were collecting, that we were likely to win this about a week and a half out. I will tell you I did not anticipate an eleven point margin.
Speaker 12: By any stretch of the imagination. That was surprising.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, congratulations, man, you were in there, and I know you know, as you eagerly point out yourself, you were in there along with many other people on it. Fantastic You guys did a fantastic job. And congratulations there and hopefully this will lead to a long string of victories as hunters and anglers continue to need to fight against an animal rights movement that would seek the shout down our way of life. So, man, hats off, fantastic job, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 12: Well, and I want to thank you guys for all that you've done. I do want to give a shout.
Speaker 13: Out to Dan Gates and Responsible Wildlife Management for leading the charge on this. Mark Truax, who ran the day to day campaign, did a fantastic job.
Speaker 12: And look, you hit the nail on the head. This fight's not over already.
Speaker 13: This morning CATS has come out calling on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to take a very close and concerted look at whether we.
Speaker 12: Ought to continue to allow the use of hounds for.
Speaker 8: Line.
Speaker 13: So, you know, despite is I think, you know, let's take a moment and pat ourselves on the back for the victory in one twenty seven, but we're a long ways from done.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, all right, thank you. Take that to heart, man, appreciate it.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right. Jumping out real quick to a friend of ours, Cody Farrion. Cody's been on the show in the past, and he was on a long time ago. We did an episode with power hitter New York mets power hitter Pete Alonzo, and Cody was hanging out with us and we talked about Cody's business as a he does feral cattle capture. So now and then you wind up in a situation where people got feral cattle running around could be on posing a public wrath, posing a public threat on public lands, public safety issues, habitat destruction, whatever, And you'll need to get these kyles caught. That's Cody's business, catch a wild cattle. He's also a land and ranch manager and does He's a very avid lifelong houndsman and lion hunter. Welcome to the show, Cody, thanks for coming on. Man.
Speaker 3: So Cody was waiting and he's he disappeared a few minutes ago. Damn, he's he's in the green room. We just I just can't see him, and I don't think he can hear us. So I don't know where he went.
Speaker 2: Oh, we lost him. We just I'll tell you what I was gonna ask, Cody. Have we not lost him? And you guys can just make up your own question in your mind, as I would have to wonder. Like I've often said, and I hesitate to bring this up, I've often said that like, if all of a sudden, it all sudden, hunting became illegal for reasons that I didn't think we're justified in terms of wildlife populations, would you then become like would you become like a type figure I was gonna ask Cody, if you're a houndsman, and you have and you have hounds and your whole life you're a houndsman. You like to chase lions, and all of a sudden they say you can't do you then just go and be like, what do you do.
Speaker 6: Dogs for a walk in the wood.
Speaker 5: It's hard to keep a low profile as a hounceman. Yeah, if you love to bow hunt whitetails, you could probably pull that off.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, I think I'm going to probably take a little mosey in the woods of my boat on that. But yeah, but it's hard to like quietly take your hounds out. I don't know what you would do. I'm not again, I'm not here to give legal advice.
Speaker 6: Yes, is you'd probably still be in business because they'd outlaw hunting. But then the game agency would call you to help them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, nuisance cat.
Speaker 2: They'd be like, Okay, now we got to pay people to kill five hundred lions a year?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 8: Are we doing?
Speaker 2: Indefensible law? Who's got one?
Speaker 6: You want to go first? Randall, doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: I'm happy, do you not just waiting for that?
Speaker 2: We've got I got a million infencible law.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was trying to think of one. And so many of my laws I found are just purely I mean defensible. I have a hard time arguing.
Speaker 6: To you there.
Speaker 5: But in the in the spirit of this week, having seen all of the u I voted, you know, make sure you get out and vote, make sure you do this and that, I was reminded of a law that I have thought about. I think about it every spring, and that is this. I wish it were illegal to publicize draw deadlines.
Speaker 2: Make it more insight.
Speaker 5: Every March April. May you see people posting like, don't forget to apply for moosecoat sheep And I think to myself, I've had those on my calendar for months now. And you know, it's not that like agents. You know, the agencies would still publish the draw eight. It wouldn't be a secret, but people would actually have to look up when they need to get their applications in because I think if you'd forget to apply for a big horn sheep tag. And this is where maybe it becomes a little bit of a hot take that you shouldn't then draw one. And I'll point out too that people when you are looking for a job and you see a great job ad, you're like, oh, this would be a huge opportunity.
Speaker 2: To send me around.
Speaker 5: Do you post it and say, hey, guys, I found this job at some guys some guys not looking for a job who's maybe perfectly happy without that job, throws his resume and that guy gets the job. So I would just ask that, you know, it's sort of fun to advertise that you're participating in this in this thing. You know, it's sort of like a a badge of pride or or sort of identifying with your tribe by saying, hey, don't forget. I'd actually prefer that those people who have forgotten to not apply.
Speaker 6: But trying to use this law to reduce competition for.
Speaker 2: Yourself and to make it more like more of a if you get it, if you deserve it, you deserve it by it.
Speaker 5: And I'm not trying to This is the one way I think, like, I'm not trying to make it harder for people to apply. I'm not trying to like price people out. I'm not trying to like keep new applicants out of the pool. I'm just saying, if you can't remember to put in for those once in a lifetime tags.
Speaker 6: Put a little notice on your Google if you can't if yeah, like like there's a bare minimum threshold.
Speaker 2: That's a great point. I like it. I like that law. Let's pass it. And then I think we should do away with those little stickers you get with a flag on it that says I applied.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know exactly.
Speaker 5: You know that's what made me think of this.
Speaker 6: You need to gabble to prove the law.
Speaker 2: Oh where's your fish bonker? Brody's was your uncle's fish bond? Dad? This dad's fish bonker? U approved? Now, I want you to know I've never done what you're saying. The only time I would ever remind someone to apply for something is if I wanted to go along if they drew it right. I only do it if it affects me. Yeah. Uh, I thought of one that related to this whole voting company, this whole you're you're tying it into, Like I voted congratulatory stickers, which crane was running around, and I gather. I think this is the old idea. I think you shouldn't be able to vote unless you can pass a quiz that everyone like both sides, everyone agrees on the questions. A current events quiz get to pass the current events quiz and if you need to opt for an oral quiz, will provide staff to give you an oral quiz. I don't think you should just be able to go down there and vote, because leading up to the election, I would be talking to people and they'll tell me things, and I would know I'd be like, what you're saying is just not like that's not a thing. You're talking about a thing that's impossible.
Speaker 6: What about like not only current events, but a little like American history, basic civics.
Speaker 2: I think then gonna get in trouble with people. This is already an incendiary This is the definition of an indefensible.
Speaker 5: I mean I did have that. I had. I actually had an analog to that in my uh in my indefensible law, which was like you have to identify the animal, like if you're putting if you're putting in for a big horn sheep tag.
Speaker 2: What is a big horn sheep?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Point like here's three animals. Point out because like.
Speaker 6: Perhaps even identify a legal ran to.
Speaker 5: Hunt bears, Yeah, to hunt bears in Montana, you have to be able. You have to take that online quiz. You know this is a grizzly, this.
Speaker 2: Is a black bear unpass a law. This is not accepted because I applied for a sandbar gear tag in Florida one time and I wouldn't So that's still to this day couldn't tell you what one means in the i.
Speaker 5: OT in the reconciliation process, I decided to do away with that because I did think that was a barrier maybe too far. It's just like, do you want it? You can figure out what it looks like.
Speaker 2: Sandbardier on some island in Florida, and I thought that sounds fun. I don't know, tell they look like yep. But and also he reminded me. But it wasn't a public announcement.
Speaker 5: Bro you got yeah, yeah, texting your buddy.
Speaker 6: I got a big one. Catch and release fishing should be illegal. Oh come on yeah, come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's appropriate that I approved that I approve this with Brody's Fish Bonder.
Speaker 6: If any like, if any given species of fish on any given body of water can't support a catch and keep season there, should you shouldn't be able to fish for them at all? Like come on, like and like the dudes that are like patting themselves on a back after a fifty letting fifty fish go in a day. They killed exactly. And finally, if you were to sink a cable into the ground and attach a big cable snare to it, put a little noose on there and bait that that thing with a carrot or an apple and get a deer, then mess with it, take pictures of it. Let let it wear itself out and let it go. You get thrown in jail. Like, don't look at fish the same.
Speaker 2: You killed that book. No, I just caught him, exhausted him, took a picture of him.
Speaker 5: Rode him around for a while, and I shook him around in the water for a minute and he's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, well I kind of had to like resuscitate him a little bit. Yeah, I breathed into his nostrils. I mean he kind of limped off.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Man, I had to push him two or three times.
Speaker 6: But it's like fish, they get it. They get treated horrible.
Speaker 2: Because they don't have eyelashes slashes. You wouldn't be able to do that to him or souls.
Speaker 6: You know, either, or you'd have to make some exceptions and let people go. Let you know, if it's like an unintentional bycatch of a fish, you're not supposed to be fishing for it. But yeah, man, it should be illegal.
Speaker 2: I Phil his one last listener feedback.
Speaker 3: We've got your buddy Cody in right now. He's kind of popping in and out, but let's let's give it a shot. Here, Hold on one second.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, he's back, Cody Farrion.
Speaker 8: Hey, what up?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 8: Cody?
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a question. I don't want you to I don't want you to admit that you would become a vigilanti. What in the world as as a lifelong houndsman, lifelong lion hunter, you got I don't know how many dogs, right, you got You've got livestock, you got horses, you got dogs, you got the whole infrastructure. You spent your whole life doing this. You always look forward to the winner. All of a sudden they come and say, hey, we had a vote, and you're not allowed to do that anymore. What in the hell would you do?
Speaker 8: Be pretty tough to take, right.
Speaker 15: It would almost take an honest person and turn him into an outlaw for sure.
Speaker 5: Civil disobedience.
Speaker 7: All.
Speaker 2: How how were you feeling that day? Man? Was that the thing was that the part of the election you were watching most sort of most hotly, most personally.
Speaker 8: I was in the top two for sure, But.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I was kind of real pessimistic there at the end of it. But we had so many good people pulling for us, and I think education was kind of what really in the end pulled through. Just like mister Gasper was saying that there was a lot of people that voted for the wealth of the animal, you know, just not for because they were educating the fact that they knew to do the right thing. So it worked out good for sure, but there is still what two million uneducated people that were going to have to enlighten on why we still need hunting and use the North American model to do so.
Speaker 8: And yeah, hey.
Speaker 2: Man, man, tell us real quick, who's behind you there? Cody?
Speaker 8: That would be I got uh rot and Thelma.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you guys doing a victory lap.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we've been dancing all morning.
Speaker 2: And uh and Cody, when does your season start? Like, when are you gonna go out and start looking for tracks?
Speaker 15: Actually, we're hunting cattle down south now. We got some snow down down by Los Alamos and we've been down there running dogs and then lion season will start the end of the big game Hunt for season which is the end of this month. Plus CPW, which there's a great group of guys down here with our colorhod Parks and wildlife there are employing another lion study in this unit or these units down here, So not only will we be able to pursue lions and take them, but we're gonna probably coller a bunch of lines for CPW for a line study.
Speaker 8: So it's all good.
Speaker 2: Excellent, man up, keep up the great work. I always love hearing your stories. Thanks for coming on, catch in with you. We'll touch in with you again down the road once Lion Season gets rolling. Cody Farrion, thanks so much.
Speaker 8: Man, awesome, Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: All right, Phil and Hit, did you want to do one last feedback a week?
Speaker 3: I mean, we'll turn this into kind of like a feedback slash promo because people have some questions that I think we've got answers to. When are we getting season thirteen of Meat Eater. I thought this would be a good discussion to have about rough cuts, and yet.
Speaker 2: Heard rough Cuts is available right now. We've just started launching a show that we did that I'm hosting called rough Cuts. Is kind of a different sort of look at a lot of the issues and practices that we'd like to get involved in. Our first rough cuts just launched on Monday. It's about trapping. We're gonna run a bunch of rough cut episodes coming up in the next weeks. And at the same time, I'm working on a season thirteen to Meat Eater as well. But we've only filmed one episode so far, but we got a bunch more coming up, and we'll get another season of me Eater under wraps in the future.
Speaker 3: Here and to follow that up, since Randall's here as well, Mogo's asking about the next audiobook and also is it very exhausting?
Speaker 5: Are are you making that assumption based on my appearance.
Speaker 6: Exhausting or exhaustive?
Speaker 2: Both both. It's coming along great. We're actively recording it right now. We've got most of the chapters under wraps. It is the history of so if you remember when we did Meat Eater's American History, The Long Hunters, we covered the deer skin trade, so are kind of one of our figures of focus was Daniel Boone, who was a deer skin hunter. Now the one we're currently recording, we jump into the Mountain Man era, which is the beaver skin trade, and we're covering the years the Long Hunters covered seventeen sixty three to seventeen seventy five. The Mountain Men so Me Eaters American History of the Mountain Men, which we're just finishing that'll be out very soon, covers eighteen oh three to eighteen forty. It covers the mountain Man era. You probably think you know what a mountain man was. I think you're gonna learn a lot more details about it.
Speaker 8: It is a.
Speaker 2: Enlightening at times quite gruesome, very gruesome, very gruesome, lot of violence.
Speaker 5: A lot of eating weird stuff, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of eating weird stuff, story of the Rocky Mountain beaver trappers, and one of our primary figures of focus in that is Jim Bridger. From there we will jump into the Buffalo Hide Hunters, and that will probably when we bracket those years. It'll probably be eighteen sixty six to eighteen eighty two.
Speaker 5: And I it will be available I believe early February. I think it'll go on pre sale sometime in mid December according to our latest understanding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's gonna seem bias, but it is a phenomenal Uh. It's a phenomenal work. And then after that, it's what I wish would have existed my whole life.
Speaker 5: After that, they're gonna start coming out at a quicker clip, quicker clip after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, all right, Uh end outro video, I have I haven't done this in a long time. What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Oh, we're gonna play the outro video and then stay tuned for a video that Spencer took of him shooting.
Speaker 2: Ah, so that's not the end outro video.
Speaker 3: We're gonna play the the the bumper outro. We played the theme song again, rollicking theme song. It's gonna fade to black. You're gonna see uh, you know, sort of like ending videos.
Speaker 2: And then you see Spencer killer ELK.
Speaker 6: It's like a post credit.
Speaker 5: This is a very nimble program.
Speaker 2: I guess I'll stick around to watch.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys, see you next week.
Speaker 5: Thanks everybody.
Speaker 16: That was a good shot. If you got another, that was a good one. Man. I'm pretty sure he's fatal. He's struggling. He's really struggling.
Speaker 8: He's down.
Speaker 4: Oh good, Oh dude, he's still alive.
Speaker 16: But his all four legs are down.
Speaker 4: Holy shit, Now his legs are up kicking. I think he's dead.