Speaker 1: In honor of Women's History Month, when Fridays, we'll be releasing episodes of historical Records. My new podcast with the story Pirates, is an explosive fusion of hip hop and history, tailor made for music loving kids and families, a podcast the entire family can listen to and enjoy together. In today's episode, Niminy heads to out of Space to make a brand new hip hop track about Mary Golden Ross, the very first Native American female aerospace engineer. We hope you enjoy Historical Records, the show that proves in order to make history, you have to make some noise.
Speaker 2: Rah today another hour.
Speaker 3: We don't have that kind of time. Tina, the spaceship is scheduled to blast off in one minute. One minute, ll LOUNDI look, Tina, I don't care if my face is on the outside anymore, so long as it flies through space. Forget my gorgeous exterior design. Just make sure we have a sturdy vessel.
Speaker 1: Tina's gonna drive, But the time in his night, Tina's gotta move.
Speaker 3: Last fill the hype man gets it, Raccoons, Let's fire up Dan Jacob. Hey, listeners, as you can likely tell, you caught me at a pretty tense moment. I am sitting inside a homemade rocket and am about to launch into space. Why are we doing this well, Tina, I am determined to be the first person in history to record a song in space. Oh. I got the idea from today's hero. I don't know that much about her, but Mary Golda Ross is a NASA legend and it got me thinking about space. Okay, and second till last, Tina, please tell me we're ready. I'm just, you know, about to get blasted into the great unknown and need to know the rocket. It's good to go? Good? Oh, this is gotta it close? Yes, you did it? Records. Here we go. Three till one flap. That didn't sound good. It almost sounded like the engine exploded. Okay, that definitely sounded like the engine exploded.
Speaker 4: It's historical records.
Speaker 3: You are now listening to historical were To make history, you got to have struggles to make history. You got to show poised, cannot be quiet loud as the riot. To make history, you gotta make some noise. Hi, listeners, Niminy here welcoming you back to historical records. As you know, this is the show where I spearhead daring experiments that combine history and hip hop. Unfortunately, we are all to a bad start today because the spaceship mostly built by my raccoon assistance exploded. That's true, Tina, it was not all your fault. It was mostly your fault. Anyway, Listeners, the good news is that today's historic figure knows a lot about spaceships. So I am really hoping to get some inspiration or even directly snack some first hand space knowledge. Let's head to the library to find my historian Gape. What is that zaploys about Himine Gabe book, You just appeared from nowhere.
Speaker 5: Actually, I appeared from somewhere. I teleported here from the beach.
Speaker 3: Is that why you're wearing those Neon red aviator sunglasses?
Speaker 5: No, that's why I'm wearing these flippers. These sunglasses are my new history simulator.
Speaker 3: How futuristic and practical.
Speaker 5: Indeed, I realized that if I could just figure out how to teleport our body through space, then we wouldn't need some big honking machine to get us around. We could just appear anywhere in history without causing a stir.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you figured out how teleportation works.
Speaker 5: It took me all weekend, which was pretty annoying, but I got there. Eventually. Turns out it's all just math.
Speaker 3: Since one has one of my historians become a math expert.
Speaker 5: History is my area of expertise, but math, math is my passion. Everybody needs a hobby, Niminy, I feel like I'm learning a.
Speaker 3: Lot about you today. But wait, gate teleportation just moves people from place to place. History simulators don't just need to be able to move through space, they also need to be able to move through time.
Speaker 5: I was nervous about that too, but luckily time and space are inextricably tied together, so we should be able to get anywhere we need.
Speaker 3: How does that work?
Speaker 5: Time is just a line, hence the phrase timeline. That means that any date in the past is just a location on that line. You follow, I.
Speaker 3: Do, But you're really surprising me today with this expert level math and time travel knowledge, I feel like I'm meeting a whole new Gabe.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm a very different Gabe than I was yesterday, and a very different game than I'll be tomorrow. That is, if everything goes according to plan, you know, Niminy, Change is the only constant.
Speaker 3: Ain't that the truth? Now?
Speaker 5: Shall we zap our way straight into the life of Mary Golde Ross?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? But Gabe, how am I supposed to get around? If you're the one wearing the history simulator glasses?
Speaker 5: I made you your own pair.
Speaker 3: Fantastic news for the both of us.
Speaker 5: Here you go, and off we head to the National Mall in Washington, d C. Two thousand and four.
Speaker 3: Oh, what's it the big.
Speaker 5: Don't worry, we'll reappear momentarily.
Speaker 3: Here we are. Huh the teleportation sunglasses worked. By the way, what was that white void we passed through?
Speaker 5: No clue, but I'm really hoping we never get stuff in there anyway. Welcome to DC.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's so muggy here is it summer?
Speaker 5: It's early fall? Actually, But people forget our nation's capital was built on a swamp next to the Potomac River.
Speaker 3: The air is so soggy I can barely see where we are. Oh. Also, the lenses on these sunglasses are incredibly dark.
Speaker 5: Both true statements. I can barely see as well. But I happen to know. We are a little less than a mile from the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the White House.
Speaker 3: Coo, go go go, go go cool. But Gabe, who is that ninety year old woman in that stunningly beautiful ancestral Cherokee dress? And why is she leading that processional? That's Mary Goldo Ross. I suppose I should have seen that coming.
Speaker 5: And she's leading a procession of Indigenous people to celebrate the opening of the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian.
Speaker 3: That seems less obvious but makes perfect sense. Huh. If she was chosen to lead the processional, she must be pretty important.
Speaker 5: Her legacy, much like space, is immeasurable. She made a massive impact in US history, Cherokee history, and the space race.
Speaker 3: Space race, you mean the competition between the US and the Soviet Union to have superior spaceflight capabilities.
Speaker 5: That's the one, and Mary was right in the middle of it. She was a brilliant mathematician specializing in aeronautics, so she helped write NASA's manuals for manned spaceflights, all while being a proud Cherokee.
Speaker 3: This woman is awesome, And as someone who is hoping to get into space herself, maybe we could back up a bit and see how she got here. I'd love to get away closer, look at some of her technical know how. That way, maybe a certain podcast host can try to get her rocket ship to take off. You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: You will need to put your sunglasses back on.
Speaker 6: Ready, set tell apart, disappearing, passing through the weird white board, and reappearing.
Speaker 5: Santa Fe, New Mexico in nineteen forty two.
Speaker 3: Ooh, it's hot, hair too, but dry as a sand sandwich.
Speaker 5: My lips are getting chapped just standing here. Let's head inside that school.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, speaking of dry, look at that math equation. Mary golda Ross is riding on the chalkboard.
Speaker 5: Five Very good, pretty complicated stuff to be sure.
Speaker 3: All right, those kids were saved by the bell help? But wait, is she helping that young woman after hours?
Speaker 5: Indeed she is, because Mary was a math teacher and advisor for Native American girls in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Speaker 3: And now her classroom phone is ringing. This woman is busy.
Speaker 5: You have no idea. This is her literally answering the call to help the nation in nineteen forty two, when World War II broke out.
Speaker 3: How could a math teacher with a master's degree help the nation during war?
Speaker 5: First, she joined the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation. Next, she used math to keep fighter checks from falling apart while flying close to the speed of sound.
Speaker 3: Sounds like we should speed to Lockheed Aircraft Corporation so we can see her work first hand.
Speaker 5: To Lockheed in nineteen fifty seven. Ready, study teleport and.
Speaker 3: Our bodies are disappearing. A quick wave and the scary whiteboard. And now we're at Lockheed, finally a place with a temporate climate. Gabe, is it just me? Or is Mary the only woman here?
Speaker 5: The only other woman was the secretary.
Speaker 3: And look at her tools. A slide ruler and the world's largest calculator.
Speaker 5: That's called a freedom calculator.
Speaker 3: Verty amazing the things she worked on planes with these totally old school tools. Hey, why is everyone at Lockheed in such a huge hurry?
Speaker 5: Remember they're in a.
Speaker 3: Race, a space race, right? But how did the space race begin? Why was everyone suddenly so desperate to get into space?
Speaker 5: After World War Two, the United States and this Union got into a heated competition called the Cold War, and a big part of that struggle was over the control of space.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, So everyone's eyes were on the.
Speaker 5: Stars, and in nineteen fifty seven, the Soviets launched the first ever satellite into orbit, which was called Sputnick.
Speaker 3: So Mary and all her colleagues are trying to catch up.
Speaker 5: It was all hands on deck for US scientists, engineers, and mathematicians. But eventually Mary went to NASA. Shall we join her there?
Speaker 3: On your marks?
Speaker 5: Get set teleports.
Speaker 3: I'm terrifying.
Speaker 5: My god, I don't work here, but welcome to NASA.
Speaker 7: Oo.
Speaker 3: Look, Mary is over there. Let's go check out what she's working on. See if maybe I can learn how to get a spaceship in the air.
Speaker 5: Okay, but we should probably try not to be noticed because most of what Mary's working on is top secret.
Speaker 3: You're totally right, Gabe. It says top secret right on top of the manual she's typing up. Oh. I feel like we're in a spy.
Speaker 5: Movie from the looks of it. The thing that she's working on is the operational requirements for a spacecraft.
Speaker 3: Jackpot, that's exactly what I need to get my spacecraft into space. Just gonna write a couple things down.
Speaker 5: That manual is an absolutely vital part of the Apollo program. And you see that pile of papers on her desk, Oh, that's gonna turn into NASA's Planetary Flight Handbook.
Speaker 3: Isn't that NASA's comprehensive guide to space travel? Sure is bubble Jackpot just gonna take a couple more notes here, and.
Speaker 5: This report over here is full of preliminary concepts for flights to Mars and Venus.
Speaker 3: Are you saying that Mary laid the groundwork for missions that haven't yet come to fruition. I am Oh, she's so cool. I love learning about cool people.
Speaker 5: You're not alone, which is why there's a sculpture of her at Buffalo State College. Also, there's a painting by Cherokee artist to America Meredith at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian that we have to go see it better.
Speaker 3: Be her against a starry rocket filled sky.
Speaker 5: That is exactly what it is. How did you know that?
Speaker 3: Good guess? Tward time.
Speaker 5: And we're back to the Smithsonian.
Speaker 3: Look, there's our painting, Merey Golde Ross in space. It's absolutely stunning. Well, let's get closer.
Speaker 5: The painting is entitled ad Astra per Astra, which means to the stars from the stars, and a reference to a Cherokee origin story about how humans arrived on Earth from the Pleiades. Let's take a closer look.
Speaker 3: Look at all this detail. Wow, this painting is packed with symbolism. I actually know about this.
Speaker 5: Say more.
Speaker 3: Okay, First, there's this seven pointed star, which references the seven Sisters constellation Bigo. Second you have the seven clans of the Cherokee Bengo. And last you have got the seven directions in Cherokee cosmology Bongo niminy.
Speaker 5: I had no idea. You knew all that.
Speaker 3: It's pretty amazing the stuff that will float around in your noodle from high school history. But Gabe, what is that spacecraft in the painting?
Speaker 5: That is the agent a spacecraft? It was a versatile American rocket and satellite bus used by NASA and the US Air Force for tons of projects.
Speaker 3: Oh and look at this Marry quote below the painting. To function efficiently in today's world, you need math. The world is so technical. If you plan to work in it, a math background will let you go farther and faster.
Speaker 5: She was truly an example of how important math is for everyone.
Speaker 3: To be honest, I didn't realize how important math is and making so many big things happen in the real world. I kind of feel my way through a lot in life.
Speaker 5: Nimity, Can I ask you were you using any math to try to record a song in space?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Rocket ship plus one song equals one space song. Oh, I realized now it was a little simple.
Speaker 5: I admire your gumption and it got you on your way.
Speaker 3: True, and now thanks to Mary, I have got the goods and I am ready to try again. Speaking of which, are you ready to head back home?
Speaker 5: Actually, I'm going to teleport into the White Void?
Speaker 3: What what game? It's so endless and blank.
Speaker 5: Trust me, I know, but seeing how fearless Mary Golder Ross was made me realize it was time to face my fears.
Speaker 3: Well, good luck with that game. I obviously want the full report. As for me, I'm headed back to the book activate teleport.
Speaker 8: Bye, Who I am back in the here and now da come take a look at these notes I took.
Speaker 3: I have some serious improvements on the construction and operation of our rocket ship. Yeah, I know, pretty smart stuff, right? Can you make these changes? Fantastic? And while they are working on the rocket ship, I'm gonna go ahead and get in my space suit. I'll see. It's probably for the best. We didn't actually get into space last time. We didn't even have a proper protocol. I'm in and now that I am suited up, I am going to go ahead and get inside. Welcome. Thanks robot voice. Wow, it is starting to look good in here, Tina. What's the word.
Speaker 7: That was?
Speaker 3: Quick? I suppose when you're not guessing how to build a spaceship, it's a lot easier. Huh. Well, thanks to Marry Golda Ross for straightening out our space aspirations and making this possible. Robot boys, let's get this thing going and seconds. Listeners, we are about to make some history by making music about some history and featuring one of today's special guests, Crystal.
Speaker 9: Life Nice four three two ones.
Speaker 10: I go by the name of Mary Golda Ross, aka the first known Native American female aerospace engineer. I am a mathematician, I am a Cherokee, and I am a trailblazer.
Speaker 5: Here we go.
Speaker 10: I was born in Oklahoma nineteen o eight, a small town called park Hill, where life wasn't so great. But from a very early age I showed a growth rate at learning to compute the count and cold. Late I had a mind for math, and I got math in my mind. But for Native girls, you'll find it wasn't a good time. But I'm a great grand child of a charity teacher, so inside of me a healthless belief. Those around me, they often agreed, spend my next few years with their help in pursuit of my dreams. Knowledge. I sought it college with plots, math class, I taught it masters.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 10: But after the next chapter of my biography, one in which the prodigy in geometry wants to honestly, you are astronomer me. But misogyny in the field means the quantity of females that's near zero.
Speaker 3: It's hard to.
Speaker 10: See a past if you can't see a hero. So we rode back to a reservation. I worked in education. Maybe my dream was dead and then instead for the next generation.
Speaker 9: I never know where my path please plot.
Speaker 3: I solved all my problems.
Speaker 9: I got math, leats, married gold plus remember me check my legacy engineer and Cherokee.
Speaker 10: I did I advise the kids right? But I felt I never ever really get that big life. But then Germany starts picking a big fight and my world changes quick overnight. You might not know, but in World War Two, men were overseas siegings, so the girls would do new jobs that before would never hurt towards you. A new world soars through and un worlds for you.
Speaker 3: So what saw the sign?
Speaker 10: Search for the sign and the coast sign. I headed for the coastline to lock Heed on a course I was charged.
Speaker 3: And if you didn't and a few I was starting.
Speaker 10: At the job I always wanted doing aeronautics, making military places start silivery and Rocky Silent. Had that money in my pockets on a trade with Nope, stopping within the war stops.
Speaker 3: And then the men came home. So then I.
Speaker 10: Didn't know if they let me stop that work any more. Once again, every bosses at a cross roads, at a lost or where the oh no, I never know where my path.
Speaker 9: Please plut ourselves all my problems. I am Mattheleas married gold that plus remember me check my legacy engineer and Cherokee squeeze.
Speaker 10: Make them say, take a girl multiplier with some passion and action, attract all distraction, added a little traction and a fraction, a fashion and a glass ceiling.
Speaker 3: Would you get the answer?
Speaker 10: Risk Mary Ross? And if they would have said you can't do Matthew read anymore, I'd be very cross. That would be a scary thought because my mind absorbing all these facts like the water, and my brain is made of terry cloth. Yes, what I was so good that they kept me here, pay for me to train again to be an engineer, say for twenty plus years, earn my pension here, and did even more things than I can mentioned here. Most of it is classified.
Speaker 3: What's the fights to say?
Speaker 10: You got Mary Russ the thing for your flights? Today only woman in the room where the fellas is with the Melandine helping their new text development and writing manuals for the skunk Works. And after I retired, I'm inspiring the young squirts, helping kids who look like me do what I did, be a hero so they could dream.
Speaker 4: Beg Jesus, Jesus, make him say.
Speaker 8: Jesus.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back after a few words for the grown ups. Landing in the three two ones, A flawless re entry and landing. I sure am glad to be back home. Now, let me just push the button to open the spaceship door.
Speaker 5: Raccoons, We did it.
Speaker 3: We recorded a song in space. Yea, how she did it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: First you had to record.
Speaker 3: A song edge first, Hey, it's my high fan Phil.
Speaker 11: Oh, yeah, Phil's here here in person and the spirit.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks to everyone for being my welcome committee, Phil, Tina, other nameless Raccoons. When I was recording that absolute smash hit of a tune in Deep Space, I realized something you did. Now you should tell us spill the fat. I realized I use math all the time in music. Music and math are like time and space, inextricably tied. Same all. Phil doesn't get it yet, think about it, Phil. Rhythms, patterns, intervals, scales, the notations of a composer communicate the sounds that a musician needs to make. It all involves maths. Music is man, and word is grateful exactly. Oh now, everyone, if you'll excuse me, my space mission went a touch too long and I have to head to my interview.
Speaker 5: Stat Wait, nmity, I have a question.
Speaker 3: What is it, Phil, And why do you suddenly sound so earnest? Can you send me into space?
Speaker 11: I'm really excited for you, but I'm also extremely jealous.
Speaker 3: It was my childhood dream calling a mission to space.
Speaker 12: I honestly just stumbled into this whole highbad thing, which is great, don't get me wrong, but space that was my first love.
Speaker 3: Phil I'm so glad you said something. I'd be thrilled to lend you my rocket ship really under one condition, fail will do anything you ask. I need you to promise that you'll keep space totally hyped.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, space man, combining my job.
Speaker 2: And my.
Speaker 3: Tina please help fill into space. Thanks team, and now for today's interview, we have two really special guests joining us. Please welcome Christina and Vivian.
Speaker 8: Hi.
Speaker 3: Please introduce yourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eh sha Christina Helona Yisha sitting on Jenny Inishai bashish chin ttich ain'ty dashi che ashiha Dashanela.
Speaker 12: Hi.
Speaker 2: My name is Christina Helna and I am of the Black Streak Wood People Clan born for the Folded Arms People Clan. The Bitter Water Clan is my maternal grand father's clan and the Salt Clan is my paternal grandfather's clan. I am Navajo originally from the Nawaha Reservation from Samila, Arizona. I am the Interio's Rocket Systems engineering program manager at NORTHFORLK. Grumman Corporation in Chandler, Arizona.
Speaker 12: Hi.
Speaker 7: My name is Vivian. I am eight years old. I live in Ohio I am Odawa in Hana Nashoni. My name is Alway Hunted.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy to have both of you here. Let's start off with your first question, Vivian.
Speaker 7: How do you know you wanted to be an engineer?
Speaker 12: Great question, Vivian.
Speaker 2: I actually knew I wanted to be an internet at a very young age, which is very rare. I was probably about your age, maybe even a year or two younger than you are right now. I saw an airplane go by above me, and I'd asked my mom what was that and she told me.
Speaker 12: What it was, and I was like, was there people on there?
Speaker 2: I was just asking all kinds of questions and she was just like, okay, well, have to take it to the library. I checked out books about airplanes and astronauts and space and rockets, and when I found out who designs rockets and airplanes, I found out was an aerospace engineer, and so that's what I said I was going to do. I was like, I want to make things fly. I want to do that.
Speaker 7: What does it feel like to be an engineer?
Speaker 2: Well, Vivian, it actually feels pretty amazing, you know, especially as a Native American woman. There's not many of us in the STEM field. You know, Mary Ross was the very first Native American engineer at Lockheed and just in general in the world. And you know, I just kind of use her path. She would worked very hard to get where she was and she was making great waved links to do what she loved and I'm going to do the same. And how she inspired individuals Native Americans alight like myself to pursue a STEM degree. She was definitely someone I looked up to and I'm hoping I'm able to inspire others as well, just telling the young Indigenous kids out there that they can do anything they want. They can be an engineer like myself and Mary Ross.
Speaker 3: Mary Ross is so inspirational. Can you tell us a little more about what she worked on, Christina.
Speaker 12: She worked on very different projects.
Speaker 2: One of them you might not be aware with, Vivian because you're so young, is the skunk Works project at Lackey Martin. Then they did a lot of classified projects what they called skunk Works. The bomber there, the really quiet airplane that makes no noise when it's flying up above. Like she gets to tried to work up really cool projects like that. She was amazing what.
Speaker 7: Was your favorite thing in school?
Speaker 2: Sciences was actually my favorite, just because you got to do a little bit of everything. And then what got me really interested in what I'm doing right now as an engineer in general is learning about physics and working on bottle rockets and the Newton's laws and all that craziness. Growing up, you know, I also like arts and crafts too, which is a little bit different than a little bit different than my engineering background. But you know, growing up, I used to watch my grandmother and grandparents leave rugs, so they had to use actually math too to do that and figure out how the rug weaving would go, how the patterns would look like, and to have to think about that ahead of time. My grandparents also did a lot of drawings and pottery, and so seeing that as a child kind of made me appreciate the arts a little bit too.
Speaker 3: Oh, your grandparents sound really talented, Vivian. You're interested in art too.
Speaker 7: Right, I think I like drawing.
Speaker 12: What do you like to draw?
Speaker 7: Sometimes I just draw Star Wars?
Speaker 12: Oh? You like Star Wars? What's your favorite character?
Speaker 7: M Arto D two?
Speaker 12: You know what so do?
Speaker 2: I I love R two D two and CP three to Zho I call them their besties because they're always together.
Speaker 3: Hey, now that I think about it, R two, D two and C three PO were probably built by engineers. Thank you both for joining me today.
Speaker 12: Been up so nice to meet you.
Speaker 7: Nice to meet you too, Thank you, Christina, Bye, Thank you bye, listeners.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining me today for our space epic. Pretty amazing. We made it so far into space and back, well, almost all of us. I still haven't heard from Gabe. Gabe, you're back and right on time. Hey, Nimity, How was the infinite White Void?
Speaker 5: Very intimidating at first and then very calming?
Speaker 3: Calming?
Speaker 5: Turns out a place without time and space can be pretty chill. Nowhere to be no time crunch for anything. I'm pretty sure I spent years there.
Speaker 3: Oh, but you mention it. You are glowing slightly.
Speaker 5: Also, it was hard to sleep because it was so bright, So I think I'm gonna go lay down.
Speaker 3: Totally nice to catch up and hear about your mind bending adventure, listeners, real talk before we dive into Mary's legac See, I had no idea math played such a big role in my life. Are there ways that math plays a big role in your daily lives? I'd love to know anyway A huge thanks to today's guests Vivian, Crystal and Christina Remember parents and teachers. You can download a free activity related to today's episode by visiting story pirates dot com. Slash Historical Records and I can't wait to go on another adventure with you all very soon. Until next time it's face. Don't forget to make history. You gotta make some noise and possibly explode a spaceship engine or two bye.
Speaker 11: Historical Records is produced in partnership with story Pirate Studios, Questloves two on five Entertainment, John Flickman and iHeart Podcasts Executive produced by Emir Questlove Thompson, John Plickman, Lee Overtree and Benjamin Salga. Executive produced for iHeart Podcasts by Noel Brown. Producers for story Pirate Studios are Isabella Riccio, Sam bear, Errit Gerson, Andrew Miller, Lee Overtree, Peter McNerney and niminy Ware. Producers for two one five are Sean ge Britney, Benjamin and Zarah Zolman. Hosted by niminy Ware. Our head writer is Duke Doyle. Our historians are Gabe Pacheco and Lee Polus. Music supervision for two one five by Stroe Elliott. Scoring and music supervision for Story Pirate Studios by Eric Gerson. Sound designed and mixing by Sam Bear at the Relic Room in New York City. Song mastering by Josh Han, Theme song by Dan Foster and Eric Gerson and produced by Eric Erson. Production coordination by Isabelle Riccio. Production management by Maggie Lee. The line producer for Story Pirate Studios is Glennis Brawl. Pr for Story Pirate Studios is provided by Naomi Shaw. Episode artwork by Camilla Franklin. This episode was written by Duke Doyle. The song Mary golda Ross was written by Dan Foster and Niminy Ware and produced by Micah James, with vocal direction and additional music supervision by Jack Mitchell. Additional recording at Red Room Studios in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Special guests Crystal Lightning, Christina Helona and Kid interviewer Vivian. This episode features performances by Sarah Elizabeth Haynes, Peter McNerney, Lee Overtree, and Gabe Pacheco. Special thanks to David Kerns and Joey Clift.