Speaker 1: Gangst the Chronic Goals. This is not your average show. You're now tuned in to the rail spell streets.
Speaker 2: Welcome to The gangst the Chronicles podcast, the production of iHeart Radio and Black Effect Podcast Network. Make sure you download the iHeart app and subscribe to Against the Chronicles. For my Apple users, hit the Purple Michael your front screen, subscribed Against the Chronicles and leave a five star rating and comment. We're shaking pork chops a begging it's your boy, Big Steal with another episode Against the Chronicles along with my co hosts Jip my partner, what's cracking? What you ate?
Speaker 1: Ship? Everything all good? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah that that that flu adds you down? Amnue to go, didn't it a little bit?
Speaker 1: And ship?
Speaker 3: But you know, really, I just you know, take the time to try to focus on you know, the new year, what's been going on. You know, new president, new rules, new laws, you know, same nigga, same bullshit.
Speaker 1: So you know what it is, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Man. With that being said, we were talking earlier today man, and we still did. Our focus for twenty and twenty five is having more legendary figures from the coast on you know, right, those unheroed you know, underground legends man, the underground heroes Man, the dude that you know don't have our trunk rattling, you know, from the nineties on up to the two thousands. Man. And you know, I think this is as good as start as any we got on the black Steed from RBL Poskin the Building Night, Black Sea. What's happening with you?
Speaker 1: Man? What's up with y'all? Man?
Speaker 2: Man shoot Man? Good looking on coming through Man. You definitely man, one of those unsung ghetto heroes. Man.
Speaker 4: Man, appreciate that. Appreciate that. Man appreciate it. So that's another legends man. You know, Yes, indeed, yes, indeed we appreciate. Try to stay focused and grounded man. You know, uh, not to say that you know niggas Nigga's heritage and foundation ain't important, but you know, sometimes you know, when you play the position that some of us artists play, you know, as far as uh being compared to you know, positions on the hip.
Speaker 1: Hop map, Uh.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we play a back seat. So trying to focus on a lot of those artists who don't you know, really get you know, invited or you know, invitations or brought to the table on certain ship.
Speaker 2: It's real, dope, yes, real, that's real. I was looking at I was reading the book right and I was talking to you earlier. I did not realize San Francisco head was up there banging like you was.
Speaker 1: Except I don't call it.
Speaker 2: Ain't like la y'all call the turf wars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was more of a turf thing. You know.
Speaker 4: We represent projects. A lot of people didn't know, like San Francisco. They looked at it like a tourist town. But we got Hella projects up up in there, you know, from phil Mo to Sunnydale in fild Mo is Hella projects in Hunter's Point where I'm from, Hella projects. I mean real concrete jungles, you know, like semen slabs, like a bunch of them. So you will get it twisted and think it's just like Pier thirty nine and like the gay area. You know they EBT community over in Castro and then you know, but it's a darker side over there. And I was I was knee deep in it over there, you know what I mean. On Harbor Road, my projects that I was born and raised in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was one of the most dumb I guess it was one of the most relatious periods up there in San Francisco, Like that period from the when was it from eighty eight on up to the nineties.
Speaker 4: I'd say eighty seven, around eighty six, late eighty six eighties, really eighty seven into ninety one. When I called the truce was around like around ninety two. So from eighty seven to ninety two, it was it was hectic around there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you was what would you say, man, was the was the root of all that all that funking that was going down.
Speaker 4: It kind of all started, uh really kind of like over a female and it kind of escalated when you know, certain movies like Colors kind of gassed everybody up, put batteries in everybody back around there, you know. But it really kind of just like house parties, the party at the Meridian, what I could really remember.
Speaker 1: We're kind of uh.
Speaker 4: One of my focus, Ronnie Royn, who was from Hunter's Point, was from my area. He's from a different project, but he was a known figure over there, and he got into it with some dudes from Field Mo from like like I was telling you earlier, with JT, the bigger figure and wrapping Foete all them saying Quinn all limits from that area, and uh, they got into it behind the female.
Speaker 1: They tried to take his car at this party.
Speaker 4: And from there, you know, it started with like fights, you know, just really just punching and fighting and all that, you know, having little little squabbles or whatever. And they went from there to you know, mofucker, pull out a pistol. Once you get hit once, once a person gets shot. It was the back and forth. And I said all stemmed from really everybody started getting guns when the crack hit.
Speaker 1: We all started selling.
Speaker 4: And when they would have just you know, dolphins coming through, you know, you getting dop feed rentals, you you you buying the pistols and all that, and all of a sudden it went from fighting.
Speaker 3: To sound like the same type of.
Speaker 1: Ship saying you know, it was the same story really everywhere.
Speaker 3: And it was, uh, you know, it was an era where we came up on guns. You know, the riots or whatever. Niggas was breaking in the gun stores, surplus stores, you know, So thus the hood got the fluctuation of weapons and ammunition. And you know, I think that era was real critical for everybody in the beginning hoods been around and ship, you know. But you know, there's like a point in time, just like a point in history where it's a significant event, certain situations and ship and that did it for a lot of us, you know, around that Colors era, you know, the Rodney King ship. It was always but you know, not to misguide motherfuckers. Uh, it's always been a fluctuation of inner city problems within those sections with niggas, and you know it was it was just that where niggas was trying to grow up in the neighborhoods and protect the sections. But still just eventually that's what it turned into. You know, we wasn't turn turned nigga switch blades, turning the motherfucking deuce deuces and shot them. You know, we gotta we got our hand on the motherfucking said the war guns and ship. You know, some niggas thought they was Billy the kid like niggas. It's old the cracking.
Speaker 4: Real talk, you said, switch blades and then that's what my old g's that's what they was doing that.
Speaker 1: The the worst was like a.
Speaker 3: Nightca niggas went for Niggas went for motherfucking fingers, fingers snapping and whipping out, change and backs, and niggas got changed and bats a nigga want one nigga pulled out to switch blade niggas like oh ship. One of the confrontations with niggas was like, okay, niggas switch blades and fish. Some nigga pulled off the dou stows. It was like, oh sh real talk. That's when you knew, nigga that the the motherfucking territory is is finna be known and ship because you don't motherfucking wanting to beat niggas asses to want to blast on niggas.
Speaker 1: The one that's serious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, real talk, real talk, like we didn't have like it just it just kind of automatically turned into something like a gang. Because you know, when you're growing up like in the projects, you got all your homies, you playing, you know, you're going to the boys club with We had like our flag football league, basketball league. We was playing all the little h twelve and ups and thirteen in us we grew up with, and we were just in there and just the dudes we'd be squabbling with and pretty soon you just kind of become that, you know, we all of a sudden, Harborough become hr D.
Speaker 1: Now we representing hr D, you know, slash right.
Speaker 4: So it just just became that. We never really said we was a gang. It was just we just hung with each other and it just be out of a sudden, just became that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So well, you know what, it's the same thing. And the late to I think people got it like kind of misconstrued a little bit thinking because they think about the colors. The first thing they think about us the colors, right, what really is just about the neighborhood. It's the same thing as yours, you know. You know when he was doing what he was doing, it was all about his neighborhood. You know what I'm saying. It sounded like it's the same thing. One of the things that tripped me out, man, is that when you had got shot man a little bit further man, you got your whole head blew off NT.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if I was a little bit closer when they did the drive by the dudes from Sunnydale, you know, and that day we had jumped them on Third Street. Third Street is like a crenchya out here, where everybody decided in their cars. You know, showing off, going up and down the street with they slap, doing ay things, showing off with some dudes from another side, some other projects, Swampy Desert, Sunnydal They came through and they about like three four cars.
Speaker 1: We jumped them that day and you.
Speaker 4: Know, everybody get the congregate and go back up to the projects talking about what they did. I did this, I did that, and yeah, they kind of slipping and you know, I was strapped up. Everything had a hoodie on. We out there talking. We got dudes on rooftops and everything. And we had some ussos up at the top. Because our projects that we grew with a lot of oosos, Like we didn't have a lot of Latinos. They grew up kind of like in the Mission district, like on twenty fourth or that. They really hanging out with us until later on like currently now once the music pop we started, you know kind of like intermingling or whatever with the Latinos. But for the most part, it was a lot of some morns in our projects. We grew up with them like heavy out here in the city. So they was watching and top and all that he had like folk cars snuck around the corna on us, and I looked right into it when I heard the screech, and I turned around and I got hit by a half of building away. You know, they uh twelve gauges and started shooting. My whole face got hit. I got shot like kind of I said, like probably maybe about fifty feet away, fifty to sixty feet away, but with some buck shots.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. He had no slugs in it and nothing like that.
Speaker 4: It was just some buck shots and I still got them in my all in my head and my face.
Speaker 1: Today to this day. Wow, you know what I mean. But yeah, it was a.
Speaker 4: Few people got shot out there, but I was pretty much the first one. As soon as I got hit, I instantly went blind, you know, my whole side. And they brushed me to the hospital and had to remove my eye and the whole nine because it was like my retina was bad. And the doctor was just like, yeah, we gotta get it all up out of that leg. Gonna contaminate you know, his his retina and it's gonna add the other one's gonna go blind.
Speaker 2: So they had to remove it instantly. So yeah, you know, it's crazy. It's the same thing down here. He can test to this. It's always a girl. That's the root of all the bs, ain't it. Yeah, I don't know what. Always a female bro. Always the female at the root of some bullshit dog like I'm talking about from the beginning of the time when you talk about like even back in the biblical days, it was always behind a female dog man always.
Speaker 1: You know, I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 3: All. You know, all beef stem from female interaction, uh some, but you know a lot of it comes from just just downright, you know, just jealousy. Sometimes business, you know, trying to go into business, whether that is the street game you know, or whether it's uh real ship. Sometimes business and money uh can allow motherfucking beefs. And then when you're dealing with money on the street thing or even jealousy, jealousy to show reputation is a lot to some niggas. You know, sometimes if your reputation is more than what a nigga might seek to be in the same you know section as you claim the same set or whatever. You know, you would hope that it don't lead to that. But sometimes jealousy, man, can can have you know, the neighborhood in a different outlook. Yeah, just the longstanding a different motherfucking uh, just a long standing beef sometimes is what really brought the motherfucking drama to the situation. Not to say that some females don't play a part, because you know, some females have you know, uh kids, fathers from different sets and shit like that. No, you know how you know, you know our women, you know, uh, you know back in you know, back when we used to roam the hood. You know, it was you know, get what you're gonna get, and get like whatever, and you know, whatever nigga that was going, you know, step up to the plate, whether he was from the enemy hood or whether he was a nigga that was from your own hood.
Speaker 1: You feel me.
Speaker 3: So you know that you deal with that ship in any situation right now, as far as not even just the hood is concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how my.
Speaker 4: Hood, that's from my neighborhood, My projects fell apart. You know, when mississ C got killed, you know, you know, and first it was Hunter's point against fieldmore sunny there.
Speaker 1: Once truths came, then it started being inner turf beefs.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like the jealousy we now we got that rap thing, you know, I was already considered a reptiboy or whatever you want to call it up here in my neighborhood in Missis c was new. He had only had been up there three years, and his reputation shot up because of the rat. So he shot past a lot of dudes. Females come through. They coming through looking for you know, me and mister C. They looking for RBS. So a lot of dudes was getting jealous because he didn't really have to quote unquote put in no work over there, you know what I mean. He got came through through the rap thing through one of our homies who was dating his and his status just elevated, and it just was jealousy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And it cost inner.
Speaker 4: Turf beef and one thing with another word. You know, he ended up getting killed. You know, say the dudes who was on our first aloho, you know what.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, Just because you grew up with TT around the corner and y'all flirted and all that nigga TT want, the TT want the name and the nigga with the bas nigga. You feel me, you get me, nigga. Yeah, we all from the hood and everything is all good. She the bad bitch, but she still nowhere to choose and ship and like you said some time, that jealousy is too overwhelming for a motherfucker to accept.
Speaker 1: Real talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah really, And you know one of the things is, man, y'all came up during a period where it wasn't a whole bunch of rappers. It wasn't like it today, man, So y'all was really like pioneers in the city. And y'all was a really big deal man, because y'allways signed in a minute.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, we uh well, we was out the trunk for a minute.
Speaker 4: Was a short minute. Then we ended up doing a deal with in a minute. First they distributed our stuff through the music people. That that was like they company, they one stop sort of, you know, they just did a distribution and then we we sawd like maybe six thousand units to them, and that's when they ended up signing us to.
Speaker 1: Like a little three year deal.
Speaker 4: And I was just really trying to hit the block, So we signed a little shitty deal for three three albums. He paid us bought out cash me out for what he owed me for the five thousand units, and he ended up giving us like ten thousand. We signed for like ten thousand. I was trying to do, is hit the block and go grab some dub. I didn't even I didn't even care about that deal. I was just like, shit, it's more of that where that came from. So, yeah, we signed with in a minute, and that later on we transitioned over the Big Beat Atlantic.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Look, y'all must have sold some significant records though to get picked up by Big Beat Atlantic, because back then they wouldn't you know, I ain't.
Speaker 1: Say, Oh, Craig count and gonna snatch a nigga up came to see. That's personally. Yeah, before he even went to Atlantic and got that deal, I had a Big Bat. I had a production deal with Big Beat.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, this before he even went to Atlantic Records, he was still running Big Beat. We gave Mike Caring the job up over there, like really kind of running it and smart.
Speaker 3: He was when I started fucking with and he was he was Atlantic. He was. Yeah, he had transitioned to the big seat over at Atlantic. Yeah, he wasn't there, but no more than about like maybe four five months after he signed us, and we was over there dealing with him for a minute he was excited, and then all of a sudden he was just like, man, I'm gonna put you on good hands. This is why he introduced this to Mike cann and I already knew it was ugly from there because Mike Camra was more East Coast he didn't really hear about West Coast rap like that. And I just felt his energy when I was hanging out with him for about a month and I was just like, man, he ain't giving me the same energy as Craig can.
Speaker 4: Craig knew exactly why he scientists. He knew I was doing all the beats, all the music and everything. That's why you stay. After we lost mississt was like, bro, I know you the one doing all the music. Pull hit Man in to kind of like, you know, feel the gap for Miss c and you know you just keep doing a production and let's just keep this going. We're gonna just re you know, reconstruct the deal and adjusted a little bit because we lost Mississi's I'm still taking the risk, he said, but let's do it. As soon as we did it, he was coming within like four five months. He was like, man, they pulled me in the Atlantic, but I'm still oversee it. I'm like, you know, I'm president over there or whatever. And sure enough they end up cutting it. Man, they end up, Uh, Mike Cairn ended up kind of. I don't know, it just didn't work. We start bumping heads. It just wouldn't work out. He was trying to send us over the East Coast Producers and the whole nine, and we're just.
Speaker 1: Like, bro, this thing, what we want? This thing?
Speaker 4: What we this sing? What we do? You know, I produce? And he was like, now we're gonna spend this budget over here. He trying to get me to, you know, to work my budget. I'm like, man, I'm trying to keep this money in the house.
Speaker 2: With Mike heern he always with everybody he deal with. He can't never just be the label. He got to pull you in and try to make you spend your budget with some producers. I guarantee you the producers get to work with with some chances signed to him.
Speaker 3: That's probably because you know, I can get a kickback from that or some kind of way. I got a back door for production deal. If I got a backdoor production deal, then I can guarantee work for niggas that I'm going out you know under my production umbrother you know exactly that's basically some mouthpiece ship. You know, I can't turn on a drum machine or make a beat, but I know a lot of cats that's under the radar who produce. And you know, I can tell a nigga, I can get you five hundred for a beat, and in the end, nigga, I can really get five thousand.
Speaker 1: Exactly that.
Speaker 3: When niggas, you know, when niggas want to come in and take control over your motherfucking production budget, you know, especially if you are known to be the producer yourself saying it was the same shiit, same situation, Yeah, same situation, Uh.
Speaker 1: To get us to that big table and like, yeah, this is what we're gonna do. Hold on, man, he signed treacherous time.
Speaker 3: You know, West Coast artists and and y'all probably was going through the same motherfucking uh you know, uh tornado that everybody got caught up in. But you know, this was the transition of when motherfuckers was trying to push away from the table of the direction of West Coast artists because of what drama they felt, uh, the West Coast was bringing to hip hop, you know, as far as with Tupac's death and and that was going on as far as you know, at one point in time, we all was beefing with somebody.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 3: Don't relate that to the music business. It's just unfortunate our professions. It carried over into our professions. You get me, you know, you know, like you do that bad thing, you do that bad thing in your life and then you go somewhere and you change and you pay your dues and you reform, but then it's still motherfuckers who want to keep that over yo. You get me, nigga, you still get it. And that's what happened what a lot of us as youngsters, you know, coming from the block and the projects, because that was our introduction to just life. You get me wasn't like nowadays. And not to say that there wasn't choices back then were limited as far as the programs and activities like you know, my my my thirteen year old son could go to the center and join the basketball team, and he can go to the training camps and he can go to you know, or there's different kind of outlets for kids that where you can influence. Back then, growing up in the seventies and eighties, my influence was the game shit you right. You know I did not I did not quest to be a motherfucking uh man. I'm gonna be a school teacher. I'm a nigga exactly. Schools teachers were still riding the bus and struggling and still trying to put food on it. As far as the nigga who was my age down the street saying grade he got the newest motherfucking el Camino or fucking blazer in every bitch in high school is on his dick, and and I'm that's who I longed to be.
Speaker 1: You get me. So that was the neighborhood you got down the block.
Speaker 3: You didn't get that out no book or going to no no training or joining no football program or whatever. You got that from the block. So our opportunity, which presented when hip hop came along, that was our football, that was our baseball, our after.
Speaker 1: School or nigga go to school. I'm shit.
Speaker 3: And then now it's so easy for me because now I ain't got to take no motherfucking physics testa, no algebra. All I gotta do is write some shit about what's going on on my motherfucking block and how my fucking.
Speaker 1: Great is that?
Speaker 3: But that trend but as we're still growing into our our adulthood. Me as an adolescent nigga eighteen nineteen, nigga, don't give a fuck. I was signing Sony Music and still going to the neighborhood every day.
Speaker 4: Exactly, I couldn't get that check, the goin to go buy a bird or too.
Speaker 3: So because of because of that life that I had led before rap came along. And now I'm this rapper and I got me some videos and and I done been on MTV and had a couple of shows. I'm supposed to be looked at as you know, you're an artist entertainer now. But to me and the niggas, I went to school with them, niggas going that niggas steal from the set and still enemies and whatever whatever. So the labels, you know, that carried over with us as fucking artists. So thus far, that's when the labels got scared because our previous lifestyle was flooding over into the so called entertainment world. Now you get me niggas coming up here and motherfucking sets and hoods and that nigga had a gun on him, and I heard that Nigga had a warrant and the niggas was fighting in the lobby and.
Speaker 1: Shit, like, what the fuck is going on? So it's scared niggas.
Speaker 3: So y'all got caught up in that Atlantic ship, like, oh, I don't want to touch that ship no more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what it was?
Speaker 2: I want.
Speaker 3: Them they start doing It's just like they did me. They started going, oh, we want to bring in producers. They wanted to change the style and your right. They no longer wanted you to speak on being from the projects. Now they want you to talk about having this lavish lifestyle and popping bottles and everything's a party. So let's bring in these East Coast producers and let's try to wook it. They did the same thing to me, and I had backed out the deal.
Speaker 2: Who was they trying to link you up with? Blake se Who were they trying to link you all up with?
Speaker 1: He said it was unknown.
Speaker 4: I think they were just some producers that Mike Caaren kind of knew because he was saying, like this producers produced for like he was bringing up son as some of the dudes in Wu tang Uh he produced, He produced for Red Man in Them, and he did some stuff for Keith Murty. It was just like producers who I never heard of him, Like, none of them, you know what I mean, they don't even sound like it wasn't our sound he was. I mean, I had a bunch of because back then it was a lot. They was giving us a lot of cassette tapes. I mean, I still got that get you get you a producer, get your producer role. They see your beat tape, little produced.
Speaker 3: It was all like I said, it was all a little underground up and coming producers. Who was bringing New York uh glitsy sound.
Speaker 1: Ye yeah yeah, the job.
Speaker 3: Rule, the Timberland uh all all those was that's what because that's what they hit me with.
Speaker 1: They hit me with a gang of ship like that.
Speaker 3: And it I had beat, I had lt huttingsoning in beats, I had all kinds of niggas sitting they every time I had get a beat, they would not accept it. To the fact that I had how to the fact that I was like, I'm gonna sue, Yeah, that's got it. I threatened to sue. And so they settled out of court with me, and that was the end of mind. I had a nine album production deal with Big Beat Atlantic Man, they ran it up on me.
Speaker 4: I had, I had uh had a five album deal, three mandatory and two optionals.
Speaker 1: We only did one album and then.
Speaker 4: Mike Canry just couldn't After I dropped that if one Eye album, I had eight on every like, I went out and start getting features people who are really wanted him Richie rich you know I do t Q and them. I ended up getting a mystical. I got a lot of people, which usually on our hours we just it be us like we don't really trip on features like that. We're just like, man, our fans want to hear us, We're gonna hear they was they talked justus and they're like, man, who do you like? And I was like, you know, I like a man, I like Cube, I like, you know, I'm naming everybody who I kind of like, you know, I got influenced by. And they was like, okay, we're gonna try to reach out. And I had to put mentioned Scarface was supposed to be on there. Short was supposed to be on there. We ended up getting with a couple of people and the singles just wasn't they was They tried to do this ship to where he was trying to do remixes and like, let's just go on, and he put us pulled our masterpiece stuff, and I was like, let's listen with master p doing like to make him say and like come with something with a nice little swing of linger.
Speaker 1: It's like, Bro, that ain't what we known folks. I'm like, man, Mike cam or.
Speaker 4: Mike uh as far as what said create, Cadam has signed us for what we've known for doing.
Speaker 1: Man, I said, you know this ain't me.
Speaker 4: And we just bumped here through that whole process, through the promo process, and by the time we started on the next album, he was like, man, look before I hadn't opened up the budget. I need y'all to give me a single. And I was like, I don't even work like that. I work on an album. Then I pulled a single from it. I said, let's just start open up the budget. Let me start on. He's like, nah, I'm notin't even gonna open it up. I want you to give me a single first, and he said, what you think of it? Take you to produce a single? I said, you know, man, we'll just shoot me around ten thousand. He shot us ten thousand. I did two songs. He shot them down. I was like, now I put it. I tried to do one with a little R and B feel on it and on. I said, let me do one a little bit more radio friendly. He didn't like that. I said, all right, let me give him something a little more grind me. He didn't like that. So I ended up going to my lawyer like, man, look, this is not even gonna work. He don't want to open up the budget. He said it was two mandatories. I mean three mandatories. Well, you know, if they don't want to put out this next album, they got to kick you down, like three seventy five three seventy five thousand to buy you out, and then we can just cut the deal.
Speaker 1: You know, they can just let you go.
Speaker 4: They ended up shoffing me, And what they did was they stretched it on for like a year or two and tried to shelf me. But I'm like, man, I'm from the Bay. When we went into this independent shit, I went pressed. I started doing shit, you know, independent, throwing stuff out, you know, the back dough on them.
Speaker 1: And I didn't care about it. I said, man, they sued me. They sued me whatever.
Speaker 4: I was using an RBL name, and I put out like three other albums while I was trying to go through the shit with U with my lawyer. They ran that lawyer bill up to like one hundred and seventy five thousand on me man.
Speaker 1: So he was like, bro, it ain't even work by the time you get this money.
Speaker 4: If we even get it, you know you're gonna owe me so much that he said, Man, You'm always just going to just do what you're doing with City Hard Records. You know, you don't put out a couple of albums with them. Walter had paid me like he gave me. He was giving me like fifty thousand album Then Bayside opened up, and that's when I was just off to the racist Bayside opened up a Budzet's giving me like one hundred thousand albums. So it was off to the races with them, and I just I never even really even talked to my kidd.
Speaker 2: You was making more money as an independent and what you wanted to do versus dealing with them clowns, and you know, one of the things that want to go back to your group. Man. The RBL policy. You are the last surviving member, Yes, sir, how did you handle let time period mentally? Because that's a whole lot.
Speaker 4: Bro Man, it was a you know, we I lost mis c man that you know. It just that shit crushed me out. You know, I really was damn there wasn't even trying. And if Craig wouldn't even come and talk to me, I probably wouldn't even got back in there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I had my brother and all them kind of at me, like Bruther, you got to keep the torch lit, you know, all I was thinking, I was just on some evil shit. I just wanted to go tear the hood up because these dudes I grew up with for like, you know, I've been knowing them since knee high, you know, the dudes that betrayed me. I grew up with them in the projects. I knew them like over twenty years, and I missed the c He was new up there. I only had new him since ninety one and then he died at night, so it's about like four years I had new him, so you know, four to maybe five years.
Speaker 1: So it was just it was just a betrayal, man, the way they kind of like snaked.
Speaker 4: Me, and all I wanted to do, man, was just tear that neighborhood up.
Speaker 1: You know, when my brother and all them.
Speaker 4: They were just like, brother, you got way too much to lose, like this is still an opportunity to get out. Craig came out and talked to me, and that just kind of woke me up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And it just wasn't the same.
Speaker 4: I ended up not even producing too much even I think I maybe did three songs on that album, and I ended up going to Get with Rick Rock, and Rick Rock was kind of like the savior, you know, to get because Mike, like I said, Mike cam was sending me all over the place. I got with Mike Mosley like Mosley got me with uh with Rick Rock, and Rick Rock kind of walked that album up for me, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And it was like his start, you know, we was like his start.
Speaker 1: You know, I love what he doing right now.
Speaker 4: But he kicked it off for us and gave us some hits on that album to where Rick Rock, yeah, shut out Rick Rock though, but yeah, man, it was hard.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 4: It was that whole year, that that whole ninety six, It was ugly for us, you know what I mean. It was a lot of people, you know, at the MISSISSIPI died. Man, it was like probably like twenty people that died after that. You know, it was just a lot of shit going on, just back and forth, houses getting ready, you know, fans coming to Miuse with my brother and all of them getting swooped up by the Feds, and you know, I mean just everything.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: We was going through a lot, man, trying to make that transition. And I was in the process of buying my house. Was I put out the hit Man album in ninety five, like right before Misiss C died, I dropped Hitman album and we sold that out.
Speaker 1: We sold like about two hundred and twenty thousand after the Trunk with that one.
Speaker 4: You know, I was going getting cod ten dollars of CD from City Hall, eating off.
Speaker 1: Of that, and I ended up buying my house.
Speaker 4: And right before I got my keys, they ended up killing Misiss looking that transition, you know what I mean, in Antioch, so getting up out the hood.
Speaker 1: So it was just a lot going on at that time.
Speaker 4: So the whole ninety six we kind of like lay low trying to figure things out.
Speaker 1: Mid ninety seven. You know, that's when we ended up dropping the IFO an Eye album, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and master P was up there during that time period he was doing he.
Speaker 1: Was he had left about yeah, he had.
Speaker 4: He was all up there, like from ninety ninety one through like maybe ninety four. Master he end up he ended up going to the South by THEND, he ended up going down there and start killing him in the South because by the.
Speaker 2: Time, it surprised you when you saw what he did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because nobody really cared for P up here. There was just like he was kind of like taking people's styles. He was trying to sound like Spice One, and he was trying to sound like ce Bow. He was taking people songs and kind of like they was looking at him sort of almost like a weird al yank a Vica rap.
Speaker 1: Like out here he was like flipping dudes hooks like he took the lot, you know.
Speaker 4: But I had love for Pete because he you know, even when he tried to sign us too, and then once he went in and got his money, he was like, man, forget Atlantic, you.
Speaker 1: Know, you need to come rock with us, and you know, come down here and deal with me.
Speaker 4: Black and I was just like I just couldn't do it, And plus I just kind of wanted that experience we're dealing with like you know, big beat Atlantic, because we had relativity at US, we had depth jam at US priority, but none of them was offering with uh with Craig Calluman was offering us.
Speaker 1: So you know, we ended up going with them.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was a it was a it was a master people was like doing this thing.
Speaker 1: He was a big We all was surprised.
Speaker 4: Nobody expecting him to leave and blow up like that because nobody really cared for him like that out here. Nobody and everybody admitted it was like, damn, we didn't expect master P. Like they looked at the Master P as a garbage rapper out here. They didn't really fuck with him like that.
Speaker 2: But he was a limless hustle though.
Speaker 4: That's what I said. He was a business man when he came to the to get us. You know, he broke us off here black he go five thousand, you know, he came and got us for the second one. Uh, Mississ didn't really want to get on it. He didn't really like you know, he just was like, man, garbage. I don't even want to be on this compilation man, And uh, he ended up getting us on trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cent and uh, like I said, he broke us off like five thousand for that.
Speaker 1: Then he came back the second time.
Speaker 4: I did a song with Laviti and them on the second one, and he gave us like seven thousand for that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And he let me release it as a singer.
Speaker 4: The song actually did good in Canada and everywhere we would release it as a single over there. Master P helped me with that. He gave me clearance and everything, like he was cool man. You know, I ain't really got no complaints about Pete. You know he handed his ben. He was like, you can't do them, but pe respect. You know what I'm saying, you can't do them, but respect this hussle man. When what he did it? What was the record that made everybody go crazy? I already know what it is, But what was the record that Don't give no Bama weed Bama weed?
Speaker 1: Nigga? Man? That was the one that put us on the map.
Speaker 4: Even when we had the demo because it was first called Don't give Me No Bamba Joint, we don't smoke that ship and Hunter's point.
Speaker 1: This was before mster C was on it. It was pretty much I was working on a solo.
Speaker 4: Album and I had don't give Me No bamor joint and uh, one of my boys who was from Filmo who stayed in our projects, Uh, he was just like my boy Lioney Green used.
Speaker 1: To strug with this strutting crew called Demons of the Mind.
Speaker 4: He was like, bro, you need to switch it up and bring the whole city, get the whole city involved. And he was like, right now, you're just gonna kind of like segregate yourself and you're gonna you don't want to just be kind of like just only having Hunter's points playing the song.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad I ended up listening to him and I ended up switching it.
Speaker 4: No Bamba Weed, we don't smoke it in the sf C and THEGA, the whole city got behind it.
Speaker 1: That motherfucker took off like wildfire, like wildfire.
Speaker 4: And later on a lesson to learned, you know what, the old Sugar Hill Gang beat that took off. You know, that was kind of like our second hit, you know, but uh yeah, Bamaweed hands down, hands down. Yeah, it was our number one hit to put us on the map.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, man. So you got all this going on during this time, Piod, You still need deep in the streets.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for surely. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was going to get them checks and going back straight back to the block and my brother the money we going. We was going down there doing the break me downs. We was down there. We was doing our thing, you know what I mean. I wasn't even I wasn't even taking music serious until I went on my first couple of shows. Once I start seeing the world was bigger than the neighborhood, I start going to Detroit, Detroit started, we got getting booked at Pontiac Land, sing like Michigan, like like fucked with It's heavy, And then we started going to Kansas City, and then all of a sudden, Seattle and Portland, and now all of the sudden we start going down to Phoenix and all that. Then I started it was like I was being I was gone a lot, and them checks was coming in. We started going from three thousand to show four thousand, seven thousand, We start.
Speaker 1: Eating off that.
Speaker 4: We was like from ninety two all the way to ninety four, Like we weren't even thinking about a new album because we was running around for like two years off that album, really eating off of it, you know. And then once we start going in to work on that second album in ninety four, that's when we we really zeroed in on working on Ruthless by Law, you know none. And even then some shit happened. We got called for some rape shit. Some young dudes is in my studio, brought some little girls up in there side of mids and you know, did all types of shit to them, and they was using me and my brother name. So we sat down for like eight months in the county and se that kind of caused problem in my neighborhood because the girls was like fourteen year old, fourteen years old. The youngsters they was young too, but they used our name and we was you know, eighteen nineteen years old. So yeah, me and my brother we had like sixty five council rape kid. Now side of me, yep, side of me.
Speaker 1: You never asked.
Speaker 2: The girls didn't do it, you know what. It wasn't a rate kit back then. I don't think.
Speaker 1: And see us.
Speaker 4: You know, my brother found him, you know, shot out my brother, Toto man. He went out there, and uh we lucked up man, By the grace of guys. She ended up in a group home in Oakland. You know this was like maybe, like, like I said, seven eight months in she ended up at a group home in Oakland, and it's just so happened to be one of my friends from the neighborhood mom's house. And he was like, bro, you know the girl that said that she was talking to my mom and said that that RBO had raped her and this and that, and yeah, she had my mama house. She's in there for foster She there for temporary like foster care or whatever until she could find the placement.
Speaker 1: I'm like what You're like, Yeah, she was in there.
Speaker 4: So I was like, man, then let's total to let my brother come out there, man and holler at her and let her know, you know, we ain't the ones that did it and this and that, so he wouldn't seen her, and she agreed to come see it them and she came up there. She walked in the business room, was like, now y'all, wasn't there, wasn't y'all And we actually beggared, like, man, could you come to court? We go to court tuesday. Can you come in talked to her lord. She was like, yeah, hell, y'all come, it wasn't y'all. She's like, it was some other dudes, some younger dudes. She was like, you black Si. I'm like, man, I'm black Sea. It's my brother Dre right here. Like they She was like, nah, I wasn't young. And they let us out they could use y'all names, said there was y'all, you know, because it was all in the name and it was my young homies. But they was trying to trick, you know, they had I was written from uh this Dolphine. I was wrinting the room out where I kept my studio at so the youngster that stayed there, his homies. They was coming in showing it because I got all the posters on the wall and all that, you know, a lot of rap memorabilia. So they had brain girls up in there because we was popping at the time, so a lot of females was coming up to the neighborhood to try to come look forwards, meet us or whatever, you know, because back then when you came out with a cassette, you was like you was a celebrity because it was like then it wasn't as easy as it was now.
Speaker 1: So people was coming up, riding through, they try to come see us.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they manipulated the girls into come seeing the studio and they start turning off the lights and doing all types of ship to him, and yeah, we got up, got caught up.
Speaker 2: You see how crazy it is, how easy it was eight to just get caught up. They didn't even know how these niggas looked. And if they didn't bring the line up or nothing. They even put the girl in the lineup to say.
Speaker 3: These dudes that did it, they ain't give a fun as long as it was niggas. Man, fuck it, she was a miner, you know what I mean. I don't care about none of that. Ain't no need of investigating. That's them. That's it.
Speaker 1: Nigga ship.
Speaker 2: Y'all the city. Uh, y'all didn't see the city? You said, Oh no, we didn't suit knock with.
Speaker 4: What they did was they just dropped it to where they had still had three years of foule. So they did some weird ship to where because one of the dudes that was that was one of our co defendants. He was there, you know, So when they dropped it on us. They had to drop it on him, you know what I mean. But I always had that ace in the hole. I always told him because me and him was like we was on the seventh floor together, and I was like, Nigga, you already know, bro, before this ship go too far. Nigga, you gonna have to You're gonna tell on yourself. You're gonna let us. You're gonna let the motherfuckers know that. I wasn't there and he was in that scared of you, all right, bro, you know I'll tell him. You know, he had his mom and all them like, nah, you better keep your mouth shut. You don't say shit. But I was in there, like, Nigga, You're gonna let them motherfuckers know, Nigga that it was yeah, you damn right.
Speaker 1: Because he was the only older dude that was with him.
Speaker 4: It was another rapper's name was Sugar Beer, who was under in the neighborhood and.
Speaker 1: He was of age.
Speaker 4: He was like eighteen, and all the other ones it was his brother and all them, they was all youngsters. They was all like fifteen, sixteen years old, you know, seventeen.
Speaker 1: Who I was part of it? So who all gang raped a little too chicks.
Speaker 4: So but uh yeah, nah, man, if we went in there, if that she would have never landed at my brother at my uh at my partner's house, man at his mom house in Oakland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we probably still be gone.
Speaker 4: That second album probably would have never seen a lot of day for sure.
Speaker 2: Working mysterious waves, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's separated the block and we got out. Man. We whipped them nigga's asses that man.
Speaker 4: Motherfuckers told their ass up and that kind of split the block up, and from there it just became a little bit of the hell of shit started happening up.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about your pops real quick, man, because one of the stories I really liked with the dynamic that your moms and your pop said, because your moms understood the importance of keeping you know, even though she wasn't messing with y'all pops no more, she understood the importance that y'all have y'all father around y'all, And it seemed like for the most part that worked out for y'all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he was a real disciplinarian, like he come through and kick her ass with this. Even though they went together. She called, hey, you know, I need school closer than I need this for them. He coming through. You know when the little wire sorry little Ninjas came out and I wanted one hella back. He always came through, gave us money, took care of us always.
Speaker 1: Even it was cool with my mom's boyfriend.
Speaker 4: They come through, play dominoes, all the shit, and then she got a problem. I'm in there fucking up. Like when I first started selling dope. He called him up. He coming through and put it down on us. You know he was coming to Yeah, he made show. You know, he was a real player. It's like seventeen of us, you know what I mean. Like even though he had a bunch of kids, he made sure we all knew each other. Like used to be like, come on, come get in the car and to take you out here, gonna visit y'all sisters, because I don't want y'all up here in these projects fucking on your siblings and shit. So he made show We knew all our brothers and sisters, from the oldest.
Speaker 1: Down to the youngest. We all was close, tight knit.
Speaker 4: And there was seventeen of us, and it was like fire baby mamas, and we always close. We all knew each other. You know, it's real tight. Posps was a real player, real player. Everybody thought he was a pimp because he was El Dorado, Diamond in the back, some roof topped, the whole nine.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: He dressed like a pimp, you know, all the little snake skin shoes and you know, all the little suits and everything.
Speaker 1: But he was more like a player. You know.
Speaker 4: He sold quarter te's and eight balls and shit. He was making more like the dealing. The gambler. He kept a bag of bits in the Cadillac, you know what I mean. So he was more of a gambler. And uh uh he sold like volumes and ship back then, that's when volumes and ship you know was out. Motherfucker was uppers and downers and all that shit. So yeah, that's what he did, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you coming from San Francisco, man, how big of an influence was the pimp game to you?
Speaker 1: Very big?
Speaker 4: That's what was outside out there, Like I said, you know, in La you go outside, it was game bangs and out it was just mainly pimps and hustlers.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: They was either selling hair un and coke you know, and pills, you know, like I said, volumes or whatever little quelus or whatever it may be. And then they was it was pimps.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: You know, a bunch of pimps around there.
Speaker 2: You know, this seemed like with the rap game up there, all the rapers. San Francisco got his own little rap scene. Y'all got a pretty big community, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, real big. You know, especially like all of us.
Speaker 4: It's really like that macing and you know, like everybody here more got that that that swag, that more of that macing and that slick talking, you know what I mean. That's why it's more like everybody like it's more city slickers. That's kind of like where that thing comes that term comes from. You know, everybody like slick with the tongue. They you know, they'd be really popping it out here.
Speaker 1: You know. I really was involved in a lot of that.
Speaker 4: You know, even though my brothers and a lot of my my older brothers and a lot of them was around at and all that, but I was mainly my family was more drug dealers than they was pimps. A lot of the pimps, majority of them was from phil Mo, you know that that side.
Speaker 1: We're folk A JT.
Speaker 4: And a lot of them from They was predominantly you know, pimps and.
Speaker 1: And stuff over on that side.
Speaker 2: That PM games started getting. They started charging them boys like they were charging the d boys. Yeah, they was was they was man, you get some time, man, you get some real time. And when they threw that human trafficking like enhancement up there, dog, it was really a rap.
Speaker 1: That's what did it than human trafficking man and washed it up. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: One of them If you a nigga, you get caught one of them little white girls, man, they stretch, they gonna give you all day real talk. It's like a white girl, you're gonna get the charges tripled and double yep, yuh real talk white girls. So so y'all had, y'all had? Fort Forte was the one that really blew the city open first.
Speaker 1: The one that was like he like, are what too short is to Oakland?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Was the was the main dog. You consider him like that gy father. Yeah, definitely mean he was like, oh coo short men to Oakland. That's what foe ta meant to us? Because I was with you know, he was he stayed in my projects. His his Mama stayed over there and Foth had the best of both words because even when we was funking with Philo was able to bounce back and forth because back when they had the Solar system, when he was doing he was with the dude Nate rock Box. They had a song called Hubbles Out like Folks. That's when Folk got known. He used to the rock all the little house parties. And when he landed that little track that Don't Fight the filing with too Short.
Speaker 1: It just shot him up. Everybody fell in love.
Speaker 4: We already was in love with him, but that just it just made him just like a superstar.
Speaker 1: And uh, man, that's like my brother from another mother. Man, I like, that's my boy.
Speaker 4: Like he used to be at my house all the time when he was going through his drug addiction.
Speaker 1: He came to mind.
Speaker 4: My mom always fed Hi when he used to be through my projects. And even when he went to jail and got out. I'm the one kind of like nurtured that whole relationship with him, with Gary and Guy and they brother Frankie J who on Rag Top Records. I'm the one told them to get him, Like, man, y'all need to get Folk, pull him get him in there, man, get him in the studio. Our album was was mixing and mastering on the way to come out, about to blow up, and our knew Foe.
Speaker 1: Was gonna come to me about the music.
Speaker 4: You know, I was kind of already dabbling with a few tracks, trying to put some stuff together for him, and I put in a fly here and fly when he got his brother, older brother, Frankie J who ended up snatching Foe up.
Speaker 1: He snatched him up and took him in.
Speaker 4: I said, man, as soon as he get out, but you know heard it getting out in a day or two, y'all need to grab him up before even hit the streets and start sucking up again. And that's what they did. And uh, man, you know he didn't look back ever since. He stayed off the dope. And and to this day, that's my guy. Just did some stuff for his documentary a couple of weeks ago, so you know, he going through a little health thing right now.
Speaker 1: But man, that's my brother from another Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to say. That that's why me and they got to grab him on here, man, because the one thing about it, man, we got to appreciate our legends from the coast. Man, It's like it ain't just La, but our legends from the Bay l A, whether they up in Seattle or whatever like that, we got the whole down man, the reason a reason not.
Speaker 1: To you know, that's true, that's real, man, But that's my guy man. I really yeah.
Speaker 4: He Like back then it was really like just foute and then you had cool nothing then with I m p uh ill Manosi. You had a dude that he William C who was from phil Mo, who had a song called Keeper Bitch Broke that that that he was like one of the one of the dudes, and that was pretty much really like the top dudes in Frisco. It wasn't nobody else until we kind of like dropped and we was coming up off of the cusp of listening to you know, I was like I was heavily influenced by you know, dub Ce and the Mass Circle of course.
Speaker 1: Uh CMW eight and them.
Speaker 4: I got videos a week imitating them, imitating w C in the Fast Circle. Like I got a bunch of footage because I was one of the first dudes in the projects that owned the camera. When the video eights came out and I'm out here in my bronco you know, wrapping all that stuff. And it went from there to four one five coming out Richie riching him in Oakland. That's kind of where I got my styff from. Like n w A, s CMW and four one five in them, you know what I mean. And that's kind of like what RBO was, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So yep, yeah, so so so l A had a real big influence on the back then.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, heavy, yeah, heavy, especially with us in our projects. They had a heavy, heavy influence. You know, that's all we was playing. You know, we was happy because back before that we was bunching a bunk. We was bumping a bunch of like Big Daddy Kanes and who else was playing a bunch of East Coast It was a lot of East Coast stuff that.
Speaker 2: Was everybody was. It wasn't nothing else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, steady beads before I let go, Like we was playing a bunch of that, you know, mc Shoty and a lot of stuff like you know what I mean. But then n w A was like a brother of fresh Air. It was like you know, of course then it was like the ghetto boys, n w A. All that was like what was getting played in the city all day every day, and plus everything and banks and them start dealing with mc pooling, them start coming out with fucking with dank, you have spice and them start hitting, uh, Like I said, the four one five, and then Richie, Richie and them started hit coming out and we just was playing all that iced tea. Of course, we was playing ice everything, ice tea, all the six and them and all that. So it was you know, we were we was heavy the West Coast and anything from the West King that's all it was being bumped in our projects barely was bumping the East Coast after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy because every region started getting their own rappers, like l A had their own ones like the one dudes that don't never get props. Like I remember when I first came to California, tidy t. You heard a battering ram on the radio every day. You heard like not cocaine, just living heads, Spade them get ready to rock?
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 2: What you go do when you get out the jail? Them going to get it.
Speaker 3: Ball counter Posse record, you know cool King Tea, a lot of King tea and yeah, yeah, the Act Food record Uh, that was like my that was like my foundation for when the first ship got cracking. We we we had a lot of East Coast ship to listen to, so we didn't have no representation of who we truly were. Yeah, Le's coach Niggas you feel Me. Niggas symbolized us really down in La Comps and whatever nigga symbolizes us from the Colors movie You feel Me. We really wasn't significant as far as the rap scene. And then, like you said, easy and time, Todd came along with the Battle round and kind of opened the door for motherfuckers to go, you know something, maybe we could try something else. You know. Even though you know, Niggas had their mixtapes out the trunk in the neighborhood and Todd had the battle around, we still had the presence of a lot of electronic you know music and a lot of influence, influence all that, Yeah, like that, all that other Like me and the homie Rich was talking about it today, like we had a lot of that it's time and radioactive your music, you know, it was all that Egyptian lever type. Yeah, when the beat goes on and ship like that. You know, that was All World Team broke through and made it to where niggas felt like, you know something, I ain't got a rap like them on the East Coast or do that. I could talk about what happened in the projects last night, you know, I could talk about.
Speaker 1: Me trying to go hook up with a bitch or some ship.
Speaker 3: About me and the homies was on our way to the spot and got jacked by the police and ship so made us feel like, Okay, well we can do that.
Speaker 1: Ship. You feel me, so open up.
Speaker 2: You and they. He has work before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was on the ninety seven album. Yeah, yeah, on the n one I album. Yeah, that was a must I had. I was trying to get him. Gotta get mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta get my man. Yeah yeah, I was on there.
Speaker 2: I think Teyla was on Man.
Speaker 1: Tela YEAHQ on the hook. Uh yeah man, that motherfucker. Man, that motherfucker was dope as hell. Man.
Speaker 4: That was a dream come true because him, like I said him cube and uh and uh fucking scarface.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Then was like man, I was like, I fucked with the younger niggas up in the bay around that time. My niggas was ship all. I was up there fucking with spice all the time. Yeah, that was my nigga. So I was up there for a pool, man. I just with a lot of niggas up there, Yeah yeah, and made it easy work. Nigga went on no Hollywood ship and none of that ship. Nigga ship out a Sap. That's what I loved about it.
Speaker 4: I was like, man, because you you hate to run into motherfucker who you look up to, you respect it and they be acting like a bitch and just be.
Speaker 1: Acting funny, and you'd be like, damn, man, this nigga. I thought this nigga was like this, and like you know what, man, Man, he made that ship happen. Man, A sap too.
Speaker 2: Ain't always been. He'd always been real down to earth, even when we even before we start doing this podcast, I would see I remember my song Bailing through the Lake with marg is real regular. He was just up there right foot like is bailing exactly.
Speaker 3: Man. It's had the perception if you didn't alienate yourself and you just you know, nigga, nigga ship, I'm just thinking ship. Yeah, yeah, listen to a regular motherfucker man, and that whatever you did, Nigga, I did the same motherfucking game. You feel me step always took.
Speaker 1: I felt like a man. I don't know, like, I don't know. I guess I could have.
Speaker 3: You know, I could have been a nigga that went out and said, fuck it, I'm gonna pay five niggas to be security, and then you know, I'm gonna do some shit like go to the foot locker and take five security guards. Maybe I think if you cause that presence for yourself, then you asking for what you expect to expect. If I'm a nigga pulling up parking in a parking spot by myself getting out, and I'm not bringing attention to myself because I'm I'm basically finna do like the other thousand cars that's up here right here, go to foot locker, probably buy me a pair of shoes, and then get back in my car and going by my business. That doesn't that that to me, that doesn't warrant attention, Like Okay, yeah, I got a video out and I got a platinum record out, and I'm like, I'm not gonna pull up you know what I'm saying right here in in my in my three hundred thousand dollars car jumping out with my two hundred thousand dollars chain on, and and now it's like people are like, well, who the fuck is that? You know, so market and I'm looking for a parking space. Motherfucker's gonna be like, well, who the fuck is that? Then I get out, Then there's five niggas around my car, and then now we all I'm bringing attention has to be like, let me just run in here by myself real quick, grab this ship and get the fuck out. Attention that I was never a seeker of attention, And you know, that's hard to That's hard to be when you're in the position of, you know, even how we are now you get me, we hit. We still have some sort of celebrity and success to our our lifestyle. But you know, like today when I go to the gas stage there, I'm trying to be normal, you know, that grocery store. You know, I try to be normal. Is there some people who are gonna recognize and be like, hey, that's but I still like, hey, how you doing, and then go about my business.
Speaker 1: It's normal.
Speaker 3: Uh So, I don't I think if you're you know, if you're not a seeker of attention, you can you can somewhat try to live a normal lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want, you know. And then there's another thing too.
Speaker 3: You can't be an arrogant asshole to where you know everybody on the block or in the building wants to put hands on you.
Speaker 1: Now you have to stay protected and put yourself in that sitution.
Speaker 2: You know what The biggest thing is though, Bro, you gotta always be aware where you at right either be a where your surroundings. And it's like I tell people, man, in reality, you should be able to wear whatever you want to around anybody, but that just seems the case. You can't go dangling steaks around pit bulls and not expect to get done.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying as to saying that I ain't got five or six niggas jumping out, but that ain't saying I ain't got a motherfucking you know, forty five under my motherfucker's seat, or or play somewhere in my exact I'm I'm not a seeker of attention, but then I'm not a motherfucking naive motherfucker to the situations niggas to go through in your position, You feel me just because I got to advance myself on the mind state of I'm a normal nigga. I still know what the other motherfucking nigga who's the greedy hate for mine stated, nigga might be thinking, So you know, there's not five six security niggas hanging around. Don't mean it ain't a full fifth fully loaded sitting somewhere too, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got your surroundings at all times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always, So you and Forte's relationship, right, You mentioned that Foe had so fourth had a drug problem before, not to getting his business like that, but he had that before his career even launched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, before it even launched.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was you know, he used to be rapping and kind of like in and out of the penitentiary, you know, doing this thing. He went through his struggles and whatnot, and uh he bounced back once he got with Frankie J and he would never know looking.
Speaker 1: Back, he never touched drugs again, went through it. That's what I said. Folk got a story.
Speaker 4: I was telling him, like, bro, you want to dock and said you need to do a book because fol Fall been around, He's been through some ship as far as just just just just life. You know what I mean, not necessarily gang banging and the drugs flanging, but just being being being around in the early eighties, just out there when motherfuckers is all going to them parties at the Solar System, when the Hunters, when Frisco was all one just getting just mentioning, mingling with the Oakland cats over there, dealing with Short and all them, and just his drug problem in and out the penitentiary and they're like, folk really got a little story man.
Speaker 2: And I told him, like, bro, you need to he got it. I can't wait to talk to him. I definitely can't wait to sit down with him. And not to keep you know, bringing them up, but I think that, like I admire spots like seeing friends and Compton and stuff like that, because at the time when y'all came out, y'all was sitting the president kind it wasn't nobody before.
Speaker 1: Y'all, not at all.
Speaker 4: Nobody at all, not nobody was that we act Like I said, we didn't really look up to nobody except the dudes in Oakland.
Speaker 1: Oakland was like the Mecca Bear area.
Speaker 4: You know, everybody know that Oaklands like and Banks and all them like they they had the scene going on besides La.
Speaker 1: It was La first.
Speaker 4: That was like the mecca when it just came to cut La. Whatever was popping in La, that's what we're playing. That's what we owned. Then once Oakland start really thriving after two Short because we watched Short come up.
Speaker 1: Short was coming through six seven months.
Speaker 4: Stang, I'm seeing him come dealing with my dudes at Booboo with them who was dealing with James Beasley, you know who just got out some years ago. You know, he just dropped his book too. You know, James moving uh, you know, moving, moving them things, doing his thing, and he messed with a lot of the dudes, little d and them from Oakland and that kind of like let Short come over there, and Short was protected. You didn't have to worry about nothing. Everybody loved Short. He came through selling his little cassettes five dollars a cassette. You know, we watched him doing all the freaky tails air and all that. You know, I'm a young nigga out there seeing Short come through, Passenger see coming through, hanging out with boobooing them in the astral vans and all that. Like I watched all that, witnessed it out the trunk and coming to every project too. Shortening was coming through, and yeah, it was just one of those things were just like damn, you know. It wasn't nobody else but Shortened and all of a sudden and Banks just created was creating a culture pretty much when he started dealing with him Se Pool, Spice and all them dangerous dame and a lot of them dudes was coming out.
Speaker 1: It started happening. You know.
Speaker 2: So where's Poof? Where's Pootman from Poof? From San Francisco?
Speaker 1: Now from East Oakland, from Oakland, from Oakland, Yeah, he's straight up Oakland.
Speaker 2: If I can get all the I think I knew all the San Francisco rappers. Let me see if I get it right, rb L Posse wrapping four tem The bigger figure.
Speaker 1: MH.
Speaker 2: I want to say is Messy mar from San Francisco. From San Francisco, u E the m C. Yeah it's somebody else. I'm forgetting them.
Speaker 1: From the lake View area, miss.
Speaker 2: You know what, I always thought cool enough for some reason, what's Oregon? I don't know why he from me?
Speaker 1: From lake View? You know they uh lake viewers with sales Ki.
Speaker 4: They had a few rappers over there nobody that blew up his biggest uh like I m p cooglaner Cooglan. I had his solo thing that's cooler. And then he was part of the im ill manor Posse his crew. They dropped around eighty nine ninety. They dropped when I was in I was in Long Cabin Ranch.
Speaker 2: You know, let me see because that's my thing.
Speaker 1: That except that I'm rolling in scanless and that came out of eighty nine. That was they were slapping. He was doing his thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, came out around eighty nine, eighty nine and ninety. That's when he made his debut. Eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eighteen eighty nine eighty that was a year after you just that was a year after you just dropped.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I dropped, Yeah, Yeah, I was bumping eight ship was it before I went to the ranch we was playing I made that video. I think it was before it was like eighty eight is eighty eight eighty nine is then we got out.
Speaker 1: Once I got out, that's when I started dabbling with the music. Late eighty nine going into the ninety that's when we started.
Speaker 4: We got in the game and we were just mainly doing what too Short that was doing, selling in our projects, and we decided to dude named CTG played us the Greatest stole one of my beats, and he put it out on actual cassette. And once he did that, I was just I got to go to the studio because I'd probably been just selling cassettes in the neighborhood cause were just getting a lot of money just selling.
Speaker 1: And find out the cassettes around there with it.
Speaker 2: It was like I heard they was getting paid up there back in the day. Man, somebody told me they was up there was making real money.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, because we was killing him. People were coming through all day. Man.
Speaker 4: There was a dude named Axing Jack who kind of put us on. He was from Sunnydale. He kind of put us on to a lot of the new stuff, like with EP EPM D and all of them came out with You're a Customer all that. He was one of the first ones playing all that, you know with uh it Takes two with mc shy d and all like. He did that kind of put us on to whatever was hitting in the East Coast, whatever was hitting down in southern California.
Speaker 1: He was the first.
Speaker 4: He was uh and he's still around right now, still doing DJ, but Action Jack was the guy. He one that he knew all the hits and educated us and put us on to it. Even when four and five came out with the groupy ass Bitch using that motherfucking Commodore's brick house beat, it was like he came to mixtape.
Speaker 1: He was doing this thing. So yeah, that was our little introduction to a line.
Speaker 2: The niggas got some cold tables. Man busted bits down. A boy a female don't get no love on the West Coast. I was telling you know what I was telling at home, Yes, said, I think that's why the West ain't never really had no big, huge female rapper. You know, we frids, but you know we ain't never had nobody that blew up on a level like a like a Nicki Mina Sha or or Cardi Bat. You feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: At all at all? I think we yo yo back in the days or something whose.
Speaker 2: Gi yo yo. But she was it because you gotta think about this. Back in the day, it was a bitch is a bitch. Bitches ain't ship for holes and tricks all y'all ship all y'all, biggest man have broad ain't got a.
Speaker 1: Chance out there, you got a chance. But we was so crazy.
Speaker 4: We was actually bumping like mc light in the hood though, all that little fucking chi and Georgie Porgy, whatever that ship was, We was actually playing that ship though. Back in the days in the hood, she got some play out. She was about probably the only one they probably got some play in in the neighborhood from the dudes. Nobody else got no play and no ride, no female until it later on, once you got with like Sea Bowl and then Marvelous, and then they was more thugging it.
Speaker 1: Once they start thugging it, then the motherfuckers start playing.
Speaker 2: Was harder than the motherfucker Marvilus was some ship. I ain't heard her name in a long time.
Speaker 1: For niggas even want to play that ship. Niggas ain't rolling around playing no female. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You gotta be hard. I think, Yeah, you gotta be on some ship.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: We appreciate this man sitting down with his dog. We gotta definitely do this in person. This ain't gonna be here last time here either, man, because we got a lot more to talk about. It's like I be enough time that I will be going by so fucking fast Man, Sir, sir, Yeah, what I'm saying, Man, So what you got going on now? Bro?
Speaker 4: Man just shows you know, like I said, I gotta EP. I'm Finnah drop with this DJ DJ Idea up here. He'll be doing a lot of mob sound music. When I got this othernother EP. I'm Finnah dropping probably around like May with this dude DJ DJ Folly Foley.
Speaker 1: You do a lot of my nephew, my boy Larry June. You know, he blowing up out here.
Speaker 4: So Larry June Producers, I got something going on with him because Larry kind of like the one that kind of got me back in the game because I ain't gonnallow semi retired just doing like cannabis collaboration deals and just doing licensing deals and just kind of eating out of that and I wasn't off the rap ship. And then Larry kind of like he started blowing the fuck up. You know, that's my one of my best friend son, you know what I mean. So he brought me, got me in the studio to do a song with him, and then all the little younger generations start going back doing research and start seeing like, oh, like man, Larry sounds similar to y'all on your first album, and he kind of flipped the style with a little bit of Mac Dre and his own little twists, and man, he like that dude right now, you know what I mean. So he brought me back in the game. I start putting out stuffs and numbers, start streaming doing good. He started getting me on a couple of his tours. So now I've been back at it now. It's like, man, I got big with that bug. So yeah, we've got shows coming up. We're gonna be down there in Anaheim next next month May and then Pop. We just came back from the AI doing two shows, so well, yeah, we've been moving, man, were moving and growing.
Speaker 2: I saw y'all the what was the show that you were did in LA eight number one for the Best, Yeah, yeah, for the for the Mexican on me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: My homie uh yeah, man, Bobby d No, no, no, my homie, uh Spooky from mob G. He'd be putting on them shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all was in that show. I saw you at the Thing black and I was trying to holler at you. But you know how to be with the concerts, something like he was trying to get in. I had to go up there and I came back and you was gone.
Speaker 4: You're talking about the Night of the Black Skin or something like that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah they yeah, yeah, man, they be having it popping.
Speaker 1: My boy.
Speaker 3: That's my boy Spooky from mob G that's his little ship right be cracking.
Speaker 2: When I was walking over to you, he was at the door. They was They was trying not to let a d and I was like, y'all tripping, y'all, this man gotta show up at tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that thing was. It was lit up and there.
Speaker 4: I like those type of shows better than them big old old arenas and all that.
Speaker 1: Like them like that right there.
Speaker 3: Nice, that's a better intimate setting for niggas, like yeah, uh you know, it be majority of.
Speaker 1: True fans and fans exactly and the spectators. You feel.
Speaker 2: That was a nice little crowd. What was it about a thousand people there, Yeah, something like that. Yeah, it was crowded.
Speaker 1: Over that, a little over a thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a lot of people, that motherfuckers. I remember when I had to go out there to gets you and I had to walk upstairs to see you, old boy, and I had to I had to some people. It's packed in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and man, him and DJ Drew too. DJ Drew be doing a lot of intimate, like nice setting shows like that too. He got us over there Orange County. I forgot it's called the I forgot that theater name out there in Orange County. But he another one that's good to link up with too.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I love dealing with them, man, because they handled business right and they got that promo down.
Speaker 1: They get they get them heads up in there. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it you working man. Hey, we're gonna talk about some stuff off here. Man, were about to let y'all go now. Much love for tuning in with us, and we gon holler back at y'all next week.
Speaker 1: Sure, man, salute man. Appreciate y'all having for show anytime. Bro, Yes, sir well.
Speaker 2: That concludes another episode of the Gainst the Chronicles podcast. Be sure to download the iHeart app and subscribe to The Gangster Chronicles podcast For Apple users, find a purple mica on the front of your screen, subscribe to the show, leave a comment and rating. Executive producers for The Gangster Chronicles podcasts of Norman Stelled, Aaron M.
Speaker 1: C A.
Speaker 2: Tyler. Our visual media director is Brian Whatt, and the audio editors tell It Hayes. The Gangster Chronicles is a production of iHeart Media Network and the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app Apple Podcasts wherever you're listening to your podcasts